Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

**OFFICIAL Government Shutdown thread **

Discuss here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600January 10, 2019 4:42 PM

I want to see the video of Trump at Mar a Fucko as the government is shut down.

by Anonymousreply 1December 22, 2018 12:29 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 22, 2018 12:30 AM

Another huge waste of money. Twitler is determined to bankrupt America like he has done with every one of his businesses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 22, 2018 12:31 AM

Most federal operations are pre-funded. This is just a deplorable-pleasing exercise.

by Anonymousreply 4December 22, 2018 12:33 AM

Three hours twenty six minutes......

by Anonymousreply 5December 22, 2018 12:34 AM

Explained. Sorry about ol spincter mouth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 22, 2018 12:35 AM

It's a partial shutdown. I'm a federal employee and our department isn't shutdown.

by Anonymousreply 7December 22, 2018 12:46 AM

Good.

by Anonymousreply 8December 22, 2018 12:47 AM

In what way is it "good" r8, such lazy trolling you can't even try to support it.

by Anonymousreply 9December 22, 2018 12:49 AM

R7, My elderly neighbor is paranoid USPS and therefore her Social Security check will be affected by the government shut-down. She just called to remind me to keep cash at home just in case. Can you please clarify what government offices and services will be hurt so that I can reassure the poor dear?

by Anonymousreply 10December 22, 2018 1:03 AM

R10: USPS is an independent agency and not affect by the government shutdown.

by Anonymousreply 11December 22, 2018 1:05 AM

R11 but aren't they federally regulated (by Congress if I'm not mistaken) ?

by Anonymousreply 12December 22, 2018 1:08 AM

USDA has shutdown plans to be initiated on 12/26; we received the guidelines yesterday. There will be some exempt personnel remaining on duty to maintain essential services.

by Anonymousreply 13December 22, 2018 1:13 AM

yum-oooooooooooo

by Anonymousreply 14December 22, 2018 1:16 AM

The parks apparently will be affected and may be shut down.

by Anonymousreply 15December 22, 2018 1:34 AM

[Quote]It's a partial shutdown. I'm a federal employee and our department isn't shutdown.

According to the Washington Post, the departments which seem most affected are:

Treasury

Agriculture

EPA

Commerce

Housing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 22, 2018 1:39 AM

R4 Correct. Most of the important agencies are prefunded so these shutdowns have no effect on them.

by Anonymousreply 17December 22, 2018 1:57 AM

shit. what about certified mail? that still working?

by Anonymousreply 18December 22, 2018 1:59 AM

Sincere thanks to the above posters for their very valuable info.

by Anonymousreply 19December 22, 2018 2:00 AM

IRS shut down too, as well as passport renewals

by Anonymousreply 20December 22, 2018 2:00 AM

Yep, if you need to get a passport or renew one that's expiring, you're out of luck for awhile; even after the shut down ends there'll be big backlogs creating processing delays.

by Anonymousreply 21December 22, 2018 2:02 AM

Still this will affect thousands of federal employees.

by Anonymousreply 22December 22, 2018 2:04 AM

What parts of the government would be affected?

These are the seven appropriations bills, and the related agencies, awaiting funding:

Agriculture Commerce, Justice and Science Financial Services and General Government Homeland Security Interior and Environment State and Foreign Operations Transportation and Housing and Urban Development

What parts of the government wouldn't be affected?

The five annual appropriations bills that Congress passed and Trump signed into law earlier this year protect the following parts of the government from a partial shutdown:

Defense Energy and Water Labor, Health, Human Services and Education Legislative Branch Military Construction and Veterans Affairs

Even if the government shuts down at midnight, the Pentagon, the Department of Health and Human Services, veterans hospitals, all congressional staff and other agencies covered by those five bills would be unaffected.

Programs such as Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and a slew of anti-poverty programs also would not be affected.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 22, 2018 2:10 AM

[quote]shit. what about certified mail? that still working?

The Postal Service isn't affected at all. It's self-funding.

by Anonymousreply 24December 22, 2018 2:28 AM

OUR GREAT COUNTRY MUST HAVE BORDER SECURITY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 22, 2018 2:31 AM

Ehhhhhh...shuddup.

by Anonymousreply 26December 22, 2018 2:35 AM

What happens if the person who gives Trump his two scoops every night is furloughed? I don't think Trump fully thought this one out.

by Anonymousreply 27December 22, 2018 2:36 AM

Haven’t we been through this before?

by Anonymousreply 28December 22, 2018 3:00 AM

Scoops are self funding

by Anonymousreply 29December 22, 2018 3:05 AM

I thought Mexico was paying for the wall?

by Anonymousreply 30December 22, 2018 3:11 AM

[quote]Haven’t we been through this before?

In less than 15 minutes this will be the THIRD shutdown in less than TWO years!

by Anonymousreply 31December 22, 2018 3:17 AM

R30 Mexico said they’d kick in for some paint, but only if Canada kicks in for more Maple syrup and teaches its tourists to quite being prattle faces when they go to Mexico. Until then NO DINERO NO PAZ NO PARED

by Anonymousreply 32December 22, 2018 3:19 AM

I was a Federal employee for many years. It was always a bit humbling whenever there was a shutdown looming and I was notified that I had been deemed "non-essential."

by Anonymousreply 33December 22, 2018 3:21 AM

I said this over on the Mueller thread, but we all know how well a prolonged situation worked out with the tariffs ...

by Anonymousreply 34December 22, 2018 3:21 AM

Mrs Betty ain’t wrong

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 22, 2018 3:42 AM

Trump sucks. He really does...

by Anonymousreply 36December 22, 2018 3:47 AM

I work for SSA and we are fully funded until 9/19. We will be back at work on Wednesday.

by Anonymousreply 37December 22, 2018 3:49 AM

WE'RE CLOSED!

by Anonymousreply 38December 22, 2018 4:02 AM

Does anyone know of American embassies remain open overseas?

by Anonymousreply 39December 22, 2018 4:11 AM

Well, fathead wanted to look tough to his base.

by Anonymousreply 40December 22, 2018 4:17 AM

Is it a bad time to make an IRS payment?

by Anonymousreply 41December 22, 2018 4:31 AM

For real R41. I was gonna file my taxes from 2015, and 2016 this upcoming week before the year ends. What do I do now?

by Anonymousreply 42December 22, 2018 4:51 AM

R28 Yes, practically every year, Democrat or Republican president, the same song and dance about getting a budget approved and the impending government shutdown if it isn't approved

by Anonymousreply 43December 22, 2018 4:56 AM

[42] File them. The Post Office will still be open. It's not like the IRS is going to be close the mail slot on their office and the postal carrier will throw all the IRS mail down the sewer.

by Anonymousreply 44December 22, 2018 4:57 AM

Remember Trump gave federal workers Monday off so the impact will be minimal unless the shutdown is still in effect on Wednesday (which I doubt it will)

by Anonymousreply 45December 22, 2018 6:00 AM

Trump is an idiot, but the Republican party is far worst. Donald Trump said about the LGBTQ community, Mike Pence wants to hang you.

by Anonymousreply 46December 22, 2018 6:05 AM

if 800k people suddenly don't get paid .... what the hell happens to them? Do they quit and find other work? Bills have to be paid. How are they replaced?

Civil war is coming, and what's so great about that is every cunt in America has a gun.

It's on.

by Anonymousreply 47December 22, 2018 6:07 AM

What about airport security?

by Anonymousreply 48December 22, 2018 2:35 PM

Wow the GOP just can’t run a government

by Anonymousreply 49December 22, 2018 3:12 PM

I feel helpless and powerless. I work for the DHS, so this affects me. So sick of Trump. We aren’t even allowed to criticize him at work. Supposedly it violates some DHS policy.

by Anonymousreply 50December 22, 2018 3:45 PM

r47, no, you don't get paid but you get back pay once it reopens.

You can apply for unemployment but I would not do that until after a week or so. You end up having to pay it back and that can be painful.

Most people have a warning that it is coming and start preparing for it - saving extra cash, moving stocks into cash, stopping subscriptions, etc. Small things to save.

This time there really was no preparation as fat ass said he would sign then didn't at the 11th hour.

Fuck him and fuck any federal employee who voted for his worthless fat ass!

by Anonymousreply 51December 22, 2018 6:37 PM

[quote]I feel helpless and powerless. I work for the DHS, so this affects me. So sick of Trump. We aren’t even allowed to criticize him at work. Supposedly it violates some DHS policy.

DHS is one the departments barely impacted r50. I posted a link to Wash Post on this yesterday upthread.

by Anonymousreply 52December 22, 2018 6:52 PM

On Saturday, Trump tweeted that he would host a meeting at the White House that did not include either of the two top Democratic leaders. Conservative hardliners were invited though. So he’s clearly enjoying the shutdown.

by Anonymousreply 53December 22, 2018 9:08 PM

WaPo reporting nothing is happening now until Thursday, the 27th.

Merry Fucking Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 54December 22, 2018 9:13 PM

I don't think that he is enjoying it, R53. The lunch was with only hard-line Republicans. I believe that they were trying to figure a way of how to get out of this mess and still save face. Trump is already conceding on some language.

by Anonymousreply 55December 22, 2018 9:23 PM

if Trump holds out and doesnt go down to palm beach for xmas in spite of the shutdown.......... due to the optics I would say the shutdown stops by monday at the latest. Trump cant delay any type of gratification.....so it is driving him mad right this minute he cant be in florida .........................so expect something to happen sooner rather than later.

by Anonymousreply 56December 22, 2018 9:23 PM

From your lips to god’s ears r56

by Anonymousreply 57December 22, 2018 10:53 PM

I just read that Melania is coming back to DC so they can all spend Christmas together.

by Anonymousreply 58December 22, 2018 10:56 PM

Well ain't that a fuckin' Hallmark turn of events, r58!

by Anonymousreply 59December 22, 2018 11:17 PM

Florida is kind of cold right now so I don’t think Trump is dying to get there

by Anonymousreply 60December 22, 2018 11:35 PM

(eyebrows raise)

Trump to stay in DC because of the shutdown From CNN's Kevin Bohn

Due to the shutdown, President Trump will remain in Washington, D.C. and the First Lady will return from Florida so they can spend Christmas together,” White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement on Saturday. Melania departed for Mar-a-Lago Friday. She planned to spend the holiday with her son and the President at their Florida home, her spokeswoman Stephanie Grisham said.

"It has long been the family's tradition to spend their Christmas holiday at Mar-a-Lago," Grisham said.

The President had planned to spend 16 days at his Palm Beach resort, which he's styled as the "winter White House."

by Anonymousreply 61December 22, 2018 11:51 PM

You see what they're doing here? It's nothing but optics. We all know that Trump isn't working whether it's in Washington DC or Florida. This is for the news cameras

Here's my suggestion for the next offer from Chuck and Nancy;

Since Trump supporters are chewing to fund this folly (anyone know the correct idiom--what was it? William's Folly? It's a famous historical house that was never completed) then here's the deal;

The government will match dollar for dollar against whatever they raise. If their campaign reaches its goal of a billion dollars then the government will throw in another $600MM as a bonus.

I LIKE IT!!!

by Anonymousreply 62December 23, 2018 12:00 AM

Beto O'Rourke

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 23, 2018 12:06 AM

According to an ABC reporter, Lindsey Graham said it would be "the death of the Conservative Party" if Trump ddoesn't get 1.6 billion.

by Anonymousreply 64December 23, 2018 12:07 AM

Will the bars in DC be less crowded ?

by Anonymousreply 65December 23, 2018 12:08 AM

[quote]According to an ABC reporter, Lindsey Graham said it would be "the death of the Conservative Party" if Trump ddoesn't get 1.6 billion.

REALLY????

SCRAP MY DEAL at R62!!!! $200MM--FINAL OFFER

by Anonymousreply 66December 23, 2018 12:10 AM

I just wanted to provide a link to the tweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 23, 2018 12:23 AM

Ladders to Get Over Trump's Wall

We saw some folks are raising money for a border wall to keep out our migrant siblings and fellow human beings, who are fleeing violence and persecution and whose tragically-underpaid labor is essential to the U.S. economy. Seems like a bad idea on countless levels for everyone involved. Maybe we should focus on human rights and creating a community that reflects our supposed values.

And even though at a rate of $1.7 million daily, it would take their fund about 35 years to raise the $21.7 billion that Trump's own Dept. of Homeland Security says would be needed to build said wall, we wanna make sure ladders are ready to send over to our undocumented friends and help them.

If this seems ludicrous, we welcome you to the coalition of reasonable adults.

Should we not reach our goal--or should they (ahem) not reach theirs--all funds raised will go to the Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services (RAICES) , a Texas-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit agency that promotes justice by providing free and low-cost legal services to underserved immigrant children, families, and refugees.

You see, they’ll never reach their goal, but no matter how much we raise, we’re going to reach ours:

Supporting an organization working to help immigrants seeking legal asylum. This GoFundMe isn’t really about ladders at all. It’s about lifting people up.

This idea is the original brainchild of @HoarseWisperer on Twitter.

Questions? Concerns? Misspelled remarks full of racist vitriol you'd like to pass along? Find me at @cmclymer .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 23, 2018 12:55 AM

Just tweeted;

Donald J. Trump Verified account @realDonaldTrump

If anybody but your favorite President, Donald J. Trump, announced that, after decimating ISIS in Syria, we were going to bring our troops back home (happy & healthy), that person would be the most popular hero in America. With me, hit hard instead by the Fake News Media. Crazy!

5:59 PM - 22 Dec 2018

by Anonymousreply 69December 23, 2018 1:14 AM

I hate his attempts at humor. It’s just more proof he doesn’t understand the seriousness of the position he holds. Holds for now anyway.

by Anonymousreply 70December 23, 2018 1:43 AM

r69 he seems to forget his general quit over this..

by Anonymousreply 71December 23, 2018 1:57 AM

His general must be part of the “fake news media.”

by Anonymousreply 72December 23, 2018 2:00 AM

Oh, he's pissed!

When President Obama ingloriously fired Jim Mattis, I gave him a second chance. Some thought I shouldn’t, I thought I should. Interesting relationship-but I also gave all of the resources that he never really had. Allies are very important-but not when they take advantage of U.S.

Brett McGurk, who I do not know, was appointed by President Obama in 2015. Was supposed to leave in February but he just resigned prior to leaving. Grandstander? The Fake News is making such a big deal about this nothing event!

His intense HATRED of President Obama is palpable....

by Anonymousreply 73December 23, 2018 2:05 AM

[quote] According to an ABC reporter, Lindsey Graham said it would be "the death of the Conservative Party" if Trump doesn't get 1.6 billion.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 74December 23, 2018 2:08 AM

What’s it costing taxpayers to ship the first whore and her brat back and forth DC to Mar back to DC.

Not feeling very festive this season.

by Anonymousreply 75December 23, 2018 2:12 AM

Damn, he always has such a stick up his ass over former President Obama. BO has been nothing but generous, courteous and civil. Dump on the other hand has been a turd in the punch bowl toward BO.

by Anonymousreply 76December 23, 2018 2:16 AM

How many Lesbians have been harmed in this partial shutdown???

by Anonymousreply 77December 23, 2018 2:16 AM

This girl here might not make it to January....

Ocasio-Cortez: It's 'completely unacceptable' Congressional salaries are exempt from shutdown

Democratic Representative-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has blasted the fact that congressional lawmakers still get paid during a government shutdown.

“Next time we have a gov shutdown, Congressional salaries should be furloughed as well. It’s completely unacceptable that members of Congress can force a government shutdown on partisan lines & then have Congressional salaries exempt from that decision,” she tweeted Saturday. “Have some integrity.”

Her post comes on the first day of a partial government shutdown caused by lawmakers’ inability to pass a budget amid President Trump’s demands for border wall funding.

by Anonymousreply 78December 23, 2018 2:19 AM

She’s right.

by Anonymousreply 79December 23, 2018 2:36 AM

It's a positive news item, so the Ocasio-Cortez troll won't make a new thread about it.

by Anonymousreply 80December 23, 2018 2:36 AM

Is it really gonna cost 1.6 billion? Does it cost more? What if it's a shitty wall and falls apart in a few years? defeats the whole purpose and waste of time and money!

by Anonymousreply 81December 23, 2018 2:39 AM

It will cost 21.6 billion or so, and probably more. The 5.6 billion is for a 200 mile stretch of Trump's ugly slatted wall. Note the border stretches for nearly 2,000 miles.

by Anonymousreply 82December 23, 2018 2:42 AM

Here's the compromise that we've all been waiting for. Why not build a long canal... kind of like a moat? It's already half-built.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83December 23, 2018 2:46 AM

Ted Lieu Verified account @tedlieu

Dear @realDonaldTrump: I've been told you respond to visuals. Here's a chart that shows there is no big crisis at the border.

But there is a big crisis in healthcare, infrastructure & education. Democrats are not going to appropriate US taxpayer funds for your wasteful wall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 23, 2018 2:48 AM

Good try Ted, but Dump doesn’t deal in reality.

by Anonymousreply 85December 23, 2018 2:51 AM

Rep. Ted Lieu Slams Trump: ‘We Are Not Going To Build This Stupid Vanity Wall’--The Democratic lawmaker described the partial government shutdown as a “failure of Republican leadership.”

Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.) has warned President Donald Trump that the only way “he’s going to get his wall is if Mexico funds it.”

Trump forced a partial government shutdown at midnight Friday over his insistence that the border wall be paid for by American taxpayers.

Lieu described the shutdown ― the third during Trump’s presidency ― as a “failure of Republican leadership.”

“Democrats are certainly happy to talk about border security, but we’re not going to build this stupid vanity wall of Donald Trump’s with U.S. taxpayer dollars,” he told MSNBC’s Alex Witt.

“Democrats and Republicans both support border security, and Donald Trump’s No. 1 campaign promise was not the wall, it was that Mexico would fund the wall.”

The prominent House Judiciary Committee Democrat added that Trump’s U.S.-Mexico border wall would be a waste of taxpayer money for “inefficient, wasteful technology.”

“Making America great again doesn’t mean using 19th century technology,” he said, referring to Trump’s campaign promise. “This is like building a big moat around America. We don’t do things like that anymore.

Better?

by Anonymousreply 86December 23, 2018 2:53 AM

OOPS! Trouble at the Wall GoFundMe

Update 10 Posted by Brian Kolfage 1 hour ago

Hey guys people out there are trying to discourage you and spreading lies. I'll set it straight.

If the wall gets funded by the govt, this fund will no longer be needed. My original promise stands true to refund. However many people also don't want a refund and would like it to go to a charity since it's such a large amount; actually most people have said donate it . IF... the wall gets funded, you will have two options, refund or donate.

Wepay will process all refunds, and then what is left over we will donate to a recognized charity that we agree on.

Furthermore, we are pushing on, the wall has not been funded yet. DON'T STOP! THE MISSION CONTINUES!

Sign our petition, we are taking it to DC to show the support! WeFundTheWall[dot]com Help spread the word!

by Anonymousreply 87December 23, 2018 2:58 AM

His furiously tweeting in the wee hours of the night must be a symptom of a mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 88December 23, 2018 3:08 AM

[quote]“Next time we have a gov shutdown, Congressional salaries should be furloughed as well.

I agree with her.

by Anonymousreply 89December 23, 2018 3:16 AM

I think hell just froze over. Fox ran an opinion piece against Trump's wall. First Judge Napolitano spoke critically about Trump and then Steve Deucy and now this. Could things be changing over at Trumpworld?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90December 23, 2018 3:17 AM

He's been tweeting nonstop, all day long, for the last few days. Something has changed in his habits or in the restraints on him and his time.

by Anonymousreply 91December 23, 2018 3:27 AM

he must be sniffing adderall again.

by Anonymousreply 92December 23, 2018 3:29 AM

He's been on a tear since the midterms. Each new thing exacerbates it. The shutdown should satisfy his drama lust for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 93December 23, 2018 3:29 AM

[quote]this will be the THIRD shutdown in less than TWO years!

It is the third since January 2018.

by Anonymousreply 94December 23, 2018 3:33 AM

I like that the Dems are calling it a "vanity wall", because that's what it is.

by Anonymousreply 95December 23, 2018 3:34 AM

R78 the child should learn what a “shutdown” means and that it applies to the executive branch. Congress wasn’t shutdown.

Stupid, stupid idiot child shoud practice the art of “shut the fuck up” until she’s mastered the basics of government at a 3rd grade level before running her mouth. She’s already sidelined.

by Anonymousreply 96December 23, 2018 4:41 AM

More pushback from Republicans.

Rep. Ryan Costello says “we’re in a shutdown because Trump wanted a shutdown” and refers to Trump’s logic on this as “toddler logic.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97December 23, 2018 2:14 PM

Why did the press let him get away with touting his success in business? He was never successful until someone advised him to just sell his name.

by Anonymousreply 98December 23, 2018 2:22 PM

R87 - it's the same people donating who made millionaires out of bakers afraid of gay wedding cakes. Deplorable, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 99December 23, 2018 2:22 PM

Their ignorance is what bothers me, the truth is out there for anyone to read but Deplorables refuse.

by Anonymousreply 100December 23, 2018 2:27 PM

He can not run off to Florida until the shut down is over. I don't believe the Secret Service is being paid.

by Anonymousreply 101December 23, 2018 2:30 PM

What about Santa tracking?

by Anonymousreply 102December 23, 2018 2:31 PM

Santa tracking is still on.

by Anonymousreply 103December 23, 2018 2:41 PM

[quote]“We have two talk radio hosts who influenced the president,” Corker told CNN. “That’s tyranny, isn’t it?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104December 23, 2018 5:56 PM

@latfoto

A visitor to Joshua Tree National Park was delighted to discover there was no attendant, while the park remained open. “Free!” she said, thrilled with her good fortune. “Trump is good for something.” Park is open but facilities closed due to #GovernmentShutdown @latimes @LANow

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105December 23, 2018 6:13 PM

Where's Josh?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106December 23, 2018 9:01 PM

[quote]—$15,564,379 of $1.0B goal

Deplorable suckers are born every minute.

by Anonymousreply 107December 23, 2018 9:05 PM

[quote]According to an ABC reporter, Lindsey Graham said it would be "the death of the Conservative Party" if Trump doesn't get 1.6 billion.

I thought Trump wanted $5B?

Second, let's hasten the death that Miss Linz just announced. All it takes is for Schumer to hold off till the new House is sworn in, then the Dems will vote for the Senate bipartisan bill.

by Anonymousreply 108December 23, 2018 9:13 PM

Has no one told Trump that the Democrats are basically holding all of the cards here?

by Anonymousreply 109December 23, 2018 9:30 PM

Republicans have controlled the House, Senate, and presidency for the past two years.

If the GOP wanted the wall funded, it would have been funded already.

by Anonymousreply 110December 23, 2018 9:44 PM

[quote]the child should learn what a “shutdown” means and that it applies to the executive branch. Congress wasn’t shutdown. Stupid, stupid idiot child shoud practice the art of “shut the fuck up” until she’s mastered the basics of government at a 3rd grade level before running her mouth.

For those who do not know, there are 12 spending bills that need to be passed by Congress and signed by the President each year in order to fully fund the government for the fiscal year, which begins on October 1.

The Legislative Branch funding bill for FY2019 was passed by Congress and signed by Individual-1 on September 21. It funds congressional operations through September 30, 2019.

That is why Congress is not shut down now.

Also passed and signed before FY2019 began: Energy & Water, Military Construction & VA, Defense, and Labor-HHS-Education.

These represent 70% of federal government spending annually.

The spending bills for the other 30% have not been signed into law--hence the partial shutdown. They are Agriculture, Commerce-Justice-Science, Financial Services-General Government, Homeland Security, Interior- Environment, State-Foreign Operations, and Transportation-HUD.

by Anonymousreply 111December 23, 2018 9:52 PM

It's a paid vacation.

by Anonymousreply 112December 23, 2018 10:10 PM

This would be a lovely tweet for our "Multiple Government Shutdowns President."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113December 23, 2018 10:16 PM

Why is he declaring war on Christmas?

by Anonymousreply 114December 23, 2018 11:35 PM

Check mate

Democrats will not agree to any funding for southern border wall: Senator Merkley--Sen. Jeff Merkley called the border wall a "4th-century strategy."

Sen. Jeff Merkley said the Democratic party will not agree to any funding for a border wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, one of President Trump’s central campaign promises that is at the heart of the ongoing partial government shutdown.

“We're absolutely willing to fund border security,” the Oregon Democrat, who is weighing a run for president in 2020, said on “This Week” Sunday. “The American people want us to spend money in a smart way. Five billion dollars is a lot of money...to spend it on a fourth-century strategy rather than on stuff that actually improves border security is something that we're just not going to do.”

by Anonymousreply 115December 23, 2018 11:45 PM

Should we have a shutdown party?

Wouldn't that be be fun? Should it be a rave? Or a cocktail party?

A pool party?

All those effected should go to Washington and party outside the White House gates. I'm leaning toward old fashioned disco party myself.

by Anonymousreply 116December 23, 2018 11:49 PM

Finish him

Trump losing support of America’s millionaires — even Republicans — poll finds

Just 34% of millionaires would re-elect Trump, CNBC survey finds

Millionaires were among the biggest beneficiaries of President Donald Trump’s tax overhaul, but they’re not necessarily fans of the president.

Just 34% of America’s millionaires — including just 62% of Republican millionaires — would vote to re-elect Trump, CNBC reported Sunday as part of its twice-a-year Millionaire Survey. That’s down sharply from the 45% of millionaires who said in the 2017 survey that they had voted for Trump in 2016. The latest poll also found that a significant chunk — 20% overall, including 18% of Republicans — don’t even think Trump will be on the 2020 ballot.

The survey polls 750 investors with $1 million or more in investable assets, CNBC said. About 40% of those polled consider themselves Republicans, with 32.4% identifying as independents and 25.7% as Democrats.

As a whole, they’re an important, politically active voting bloc and fund-raising source. About 96% said they voted in last month’s midterm elections, CNBC said.

In what may be a worrying sign to the Republican Party, significantly more Democratic millionaires (36%) said they donated to political causes in the past two years than Republicans (20%).

As for 2020, while taxes, health care, the economy and immigration reform were mentioned as among the top election issues, “voting President Trump out of office” was ranked No. 1 by 54% of Democratic millionaires and 28% of independents. Just 6% of Republicans agreed.

by Anonymousreply 117December 23, 2018 11:49 PM

So apparently the national Christmas tree is DARK because of the shutdown.

WON’T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?

by Anonymousreply 118December 23, 2018 11:56 PM

Apparently, he's obsessed with SHUT DOWNS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119December 24, 2018 12:00 AM

Mrs Betty posted something very similar, r119

by Anonymousreply 120December 24, 2018 12:01 AM

R112, check again. Furloughed employees do not automatically get paid for the time off. It has required going to court in the past for non-essential federal employees to be paid for government shutdowns of any length.

I'd like to know why USDA employees have to report for at least 4 hours on Wednesday, December 26 for *orderly shutdown" procedures, but the lazy ass Congress doesn't return until Thursday.

by Anonymousreply 121December 24, 2018 12:03 AM

R121, you are misinformed. Employees who furloughed for a shutdown have always been paid as part of the deal to reopen.

What you are thinking of is the 2013 furloughs caused by sequestration. Many civilian DoD employees had to take up to 11 days unpaid to cover budget shortfalls because the Republicans. They challenged in court, mostly without success.

The four hour day to come in to work and be furloughed is fairly typical, though some agencies now let you do it remotely.

Since you sound like a Fed, please consider that you have it much better than many others. Many contractors will not be able to work and will not receive retroactive pay, I have two employees who were supposed to have tomorrow to telework because Trump gave Fed’s the day off. Not only do they not get to telework, they need to take paid leave and then take leave without pay.

by Anonymousreply 122December 24, 2018 12:21 AM

Congress was funded in one of the spending bills that passed and was signed into law in September; it has money to operate for the rest of this fiscal year.

by Anonymousreply 123December 24, 2018 12:21 AM

So I guess this is just affecting the National Christmas tree.

by Anonymousreply 124December 24, 2018 12:35 AM

Check again R122.

"Agencies whose appropriations lapse, employees whose work is deemed “excepted” from furlough and who are ordered to continue working are guaranteed by law to be paid later for that time since the government has incurred an obligation to them. That would apply to an estimated 60 percent of the roughly 800,000 employees in agencies that lack full-year funding—the largest of them in terms of employees is DHS, with a high percentage of law enforcement and security-related positions that would be excepted.

For “non-excepted” employees, who are furloughed, there is no such assurance. In past shutdowns they have been paid later as well, but that requires action by Congress each time."

Same info we were given in our package for the shutdown, along with links to sign up for Unemployment and other such benefits. We have no guarantee that we will receive retroactive pay, though it is usual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125December 24, 2018 12:52 AM

Trump Administration Warns Shutdown Could Last Into January--High-stakes spending fight could extend into new Congress with Democratic House

WASHINGTON—The Trump administration warned Sunday that the partial government shutdown could stretch into January, squeezing furloughed workers and shifting a high-stakes spending fight into a new Congress where Democrats control the House.

The scare tactics are starting up. They're going to try and help Trump.

CHUCK & NANCY!

lower the bid....

by Anonymousreply 126December 24, 2018 1:05 AM

[quote]A visitor to Joshua Tree National Park was delighted to discover there was no attendant, while the park remained open. “Free!” she said, thrilled with her good fortune. “Trump is good for something.” Park is open but facilities closed due to #GovernmentShutdown @latimes @LANow

I was at Joshua Tree National Park a few weeks ago. It cost me $30 to get into the park. I guess my timing was off.

by Anonymousreply 127December 24, 2018 1:20 AM

Let’s flood Joshua Tree with thrifty homosexuals!

by Anonymousreply 128December 24, 2018 2:01 AM

I hate Trump so much, but unlike other times in his presidency when scandals/troubles seemed to roll off his back, now the walls really seem to be caving in. There are so many problems on so many fronts- could this really, truly be the end of Trump?

If Trump and Pence both went down, would Pelosi be President? That would be so amazing and the first time I’ve been optimistic about politics in two years.

by Anonymousreply 129December 24, 2018 2:19 AM

Yes r25 but I’m not sure we are going to see that happen. The senate might refuse to convict them — republicans are digging in for a mayonnaise Last Stand.

by Anonymousreply 130December 24, 2018 2:45 AM

Sorry r129 I meant

by Anonymousreply 131December 24, 2018 2:45 AM

Does this impact the courts?

by Anonymousreply 132December 24, 2018 3:07 AM

r131, THAT is what you want to clarify in your post at r130?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133December 24, 2018 3:16 AM

[quote]The senate might refuse to convict them — republicans are digging in for a mayonnaise Last Stand.

I'm dying to know what you originally intended to type.

by Anonymousreply 134December 24, 2018 3:28 AM

[quote]Republicans have controlled the House, Senate, and presidency for the past two years. If the GOP wanted the wall funded, it would have been funded already.

If you had studied Civics, you would know in the Senate you need 60 votes to end debate and to have a working majority. The GOP did not have 60 Senators.

by Anonymousreply 135December 24, 2018 3:39 AM

r135, please cite the Constitutional basis for that, and while you're at it explain the existence of Justice Kavanaugh on the bench.

by Anonymousreply 136December 24, 2018 3:49 AM

Had Boris at R135 studied government in the US, he’d know there’s a parliamentary “nuclear option” to get around the 60 vote cloture rule and instead use a simple majority vote. Boris would have understood what Trump was talking about when he asked the Senate to “go nuclear” a couple of days ago and what it meant when senate Republicans told him no.

But Boris doesn’t really understand US senate rules, he’s just a troll and blowhard on the Internet. Enjoy your Christmas vodka, Boris, while basking in your knew understanding that funding for the border wall has been within Republican authority for two years, but they don’t actually want it and it’ll never happen.

by Anonymousreply 137December 24, 2018 4:07 AM

r128, is Joshua a top or a bottom?

We know he's cut due to the Jewish name.

by Anonymousreply 138December 24, 2018 4:43 AM

Question for DL:

Do you think the Republicans will go nuclear if this doesn't get resolved soon enough? Why or why not?

by Anonymousreply 139December 24, 2018 5:54 AM

[italic] No Nuke Now [/italic]

Senate is up against the clock

Too many Republicans, facing the prospect of slipping back into a Senate minority in 2020, don’t want to trigger that precedent- especially over a wall they don’t want anyway (for a President many don’t like).

The vow not to go full blown Nuclear is all that’s left of McTurtle’s tattered reputation.

Once the Dems take over the House (in ten days), it’ll be pointless anyway.

by Anonymousreply 140December 24, 2018 10:16 AM

White House: Trump would accept less money for border wall

Both sides in the long-running fight over funding President Donald Trump's U.S.-Mexico border wall appear to have moved toward each other, but a shutdown of one-fourth of the federal government entered Christmas without a clear resolution in sight.

In fact, a top White House official warned the shutdown could stretch into January.

Acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney, who is also the budget director, said he was waiting to hear from Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer of New York about a counteroffer the White House presented Schumer over the weekend.

Mulvaney would only say the offer was between Trump's $5.7 billion request and $1.3 billion Democrats have offered.

"We moved off of the five and we hope they move up from their 1.3," Mulvaney said less than a day after a senior administration official insisted that Congress would have to cave into Trump's demand for the shutdown to end, highlighting Trump's unpredictable negotiating style.

Schumer's office said the parties remained "very far apart."

CHUCK & NANCY!

lower the bid....

by Anonymousreply 141December 24, 2018 11:12 AM

We made it through the Obama shutdown and the first Trump shutdown. We'll make it through this. frankly, I'm glad to have time off.

by Anonymousreply 142December 24, 2018 11:20 AM

They wouldn't put up with this bullshit in France. There the TSA and Border Patrol would all walk off in solidarity with their non-essential brothers and sisters, and the Government would really be shut down. How long would this nonsense last if there's no one doing the security at the airports or processing the old people's Social Security checks?

by Anonymousreply 143December 24, 2018 11:53 AM

A business here gave $12,000 to the wall Go Fund Me account. I looked at their Facebook out of curiosity and there are people all over the world posting on there complimenting them on being great patriots. Ugh. So there are still too many MAGA idiots blindly following him.

by Anonymousreply 144December 24, 2018 11:57 AM

[quote]We made it through the Obama shutdown

Now, THAT was a boy there that knew how to do a shut down! Veteran? No monument visitations for you! You live on federal lands? GET OUT! Traveling overseas and need a passport and/or need a VISA? Sorry! On and on....

by Anonymousreply 145December 24, 2018 11:58 AM

Wait a minute, I thought Schumer said Trump wasn't getting a penny for the wall. They better not cave!

by Anonymousreply 146December 24, 2018 11:58 AM

[quote]A business here gave $12,000 to the wall Go Fund Me account. I looked at their Facebook out of curiosity and there are people all over the world posting on there complimenting them on being great patriots.

GOOD WORK! You see... This has nothing to do with national security--well, I suppose that is how you look at it. This is this white supremacy bullshit that has spread all over the world.

by Anonymousreply 147December 24, 2018 12:00 PM

If you'd like a bit of history, CBS has a list of previous shutdowns with a brief description at the link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148December 24, 2018 12:04 PM

[quote]Acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney, who is also the budget director

Just let that sink in

by Anonymousreply 149December 24, 2018 12:37 PM

Math is hard for the MAGAts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150December 24, 2018 12:42 PM

[quote]We made it through the Obama shutdown and the first Trump shutdown. We'll make it through this. frankly, I'm glad to have time off.

Bro, do you even citizen?

There have been two Trump shutdowns.

And the one in 2013 was a Cruz shutdown, over trying to get rid of Obamacare.

by Anonymousreply 151December 24, 2018 12:49 PM

Obama never shut down the government.

by Anonymousreply 152December 24, 2018 2:01 PM

Lordy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153December 24, 2018 2:19 PM

Looks like Deplorable Diane @r153 's link isn't an English major either.

by Anonymousreply 154December 24, 2018 2:23 PM

Another question for DL:

What would hurt the Dems more? Compromising and giving trump some money for the wall or refusing to budge and letting the shutdown go on and on.

I ask because from what I have heard trump can't wait to start shifting blame for everything onto the Dems once they take over the house in January. Talking heads have said that he sees that as the perfect opportunity to make them the great foil leading into 2020.

Everybody is obsessed with the swing voters and each side is wondering what it would take to lose them or gain them.

by Anonymousreply 155December 24, 2018 2:48 PM

R155, the Democrats already agreed to give Trump some money for the Wall. It is Trump who will not budge and wants the shutdown to go on and on.

by Anonymousreply 156December 24, 2018 3:11 PM

True

by Anonymousreply 157December 24, 2018 3:13 PM

Deep down, even MAGAs know that if they let their child, screaming for ice cream, have a little bit before dinner tonight; that child will demand ice cream for dinner every night thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 158December 24, 2018 3:16 PM

And it wants TWO SCOOPS.

by Anonymousreply 159December 24, 2018 3:39 PM

Why even mention France? Fuck that shit hole.

by Anonymousreply 160December 24, 2018 3:57 PM

They'll care if this goes on too long, R161. And the government workers are not getting paid while the shutdown continues, so even if there is a retroactive payment, it does them no good right now when they need it.

by Anonymousreply 162December 24, 2018 4:08 PM

Of the 800,000 employees Affected by the shutdown, 40% are being furloughed, with no guarantee of payment (although historically they have eventually been paid).

The other 60% are deemed “essential personnel“ (TSA, etc) and are required to work with the guarantee of being paid once the shut down the ends.

Most Americans don’t have two weeks savings.

Unemployment is very low.

Involuntary servitude is illegal.

If the shutdown doesn’t end by the end of January, many of those “essential employees” are going to take other jobs in order to pay their bills.

The irony (or stupidity given that it’s Individual 1) is that the people hes laying off are TSA and DHS “boarder security” employees. Any “increase” in boarder security funding congress gives him will be wasted training replacement hires.

by Anonymousreply 163December 24, 2018 4:19 PM

R160. Its called comparative analysis. You may not be interested in wha

by Anonymousreply 164December 24, 2018 4:56 PM

How long do experts think the shutdown will last?

by Anonymousreply 165December 24, 2018 5:01 PM

[quote]How long do experts think the shutdown will last?

Dow 30

-640.41(-2.85%)

Not long....

by Anonymousreply 166December 24, 2018 5:03 PM

I hate him.

by Anonymousreply 167December 24, 2018 5:10 PM

I hate him more.

by Anonymousreply 168December 24, 2018 9:08 PM

^ Not as much as me.

by Anonymousreply 169December 24, 2018 9:55 PM

Hundreds of migrants have been dumped on the streets of El Paso today by ICE (Merry Christmas), presumably the result of them being furloughed because of the government shutdown. Major humanitarian crisis.

by Anonymousreply 170December 25, 2018 12:55 AM

Could someone explain how the shutdown will end? Will the Democrats be able to end it on January 3, or will there be negotations later this week?

by Anonymousreply 171December 25, 2018 5:59 AM

R135 that’s correct. These are parliamentary rules. McConnell cannot overrule the Parliamentarian, but he won’t need to. These rules are adopted by the previous Senate for the succeeding Senate. Even if they were changed today - they wouldn’t take effect until the next Senate is sworn in come January.

60 votes to cut off debate and move to vote. McConnell won’t allow the vote until he knows exactly exactly what the vote count will be. Once they pass a bill, it goes to reconciiation - a negotiated version between the House and Senate versions that is then adopted and sent to the President.

There are multiple outcomes. If the bill is sent and Congress adjourns, the President can ignore it - a pocket veto. The President can veto it, and both Houses will have to have the necessary votes to override the veto. Under the current rules, an override requireds 2/3rds of both houses to override. That means 66 votes in the Senate and 290 votes in the House.

by Anonymousreply 172December 25, 2018 7:13 AM

67 in the Senate

by Anonymousreply 173December 25, 2018 11:11 AM

When do most experts think it will end? How likely is it to go beyond MLK Day?

by Anonymousreply 174December 25, 2018 11:58 AM

There is no way to predict how long this goes. The affected employees will not miss a paycheck right away - but that’s when the pain starts. Even those working will not get paid until the shutdown ends.

by Anonymousreply 175December 25, 2018 12:24 PM

Yeah, so two weeks from Friday is when it gets very painful

by Anonymousreply 176December 25, 2018 12:28 PM

Read some #ShutdownStories on Twitter if aren't quite angry enough with Trump yet.

by Anonymousreply 177December 25, 2018 12:35 PM

r177 was just coming here to post:

[quote]”did you vote for trump?”

[quote]”I don’t see how that matters”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178December 25, 2018 12:40 PM

Swimmers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179December 25, 2018 12:48 PM

[quote]McConnell cannot overrule the Parliamentarian

Not true.

The Senate and House are each empowered by Article 1, Section 5, of the Constitution to determine the rules of their own proceedings. A parliamentarian is not mentioned.

The Senate Majority leader, with enough votes in pocket, can lead the majority into overriding any custom or rule.

And the thing about applying to the next Congress is also a rule.

Majorities are always fiddling with rules--no matter when they were adopted--to their advantage. And the minority are always whining (justly) about it.

Most recently and loudly, we've seen Harry Reid change the standing order in 2013 for the 2013-2014 term, McTurtle get rid of the cloture rule for Supreme Court nominations in early 2017, and even John McCain decrying (again) his own party's abandonment of the regular order in late 2017.

by Anonymousreply 180December 25, 2018 12:49 PM

Bharat Walia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181December 25, 2018 12:50 PM

Oops

by Anonymousreply 182December 25, 2018 12:52 PM

[quote] R143: How long would this nonsense last if there's no one doing the security at the airports or processing the old people's Social Security checks?

If the government refused to pay furloughed people for not working, and told them so, this would end tomorrow. That’s another trap that Trump is dump and mean enough to fall into.

by Anonymousreply 183December 25, 2018 1:19 PM

R180 is correct of course. Sad how many people don't know how their government wants.

The GOP could change the rules, invoking the so called "nuclear option" and pass the wall funding with a simple majority. They won't because they don't want this bullshit, McConnell wouldn't have the votes.

by Anonymousreply 184December 25, 2018 1:22 PM

[quote] R145: We made it through the Obama shutdown

That one seemed bidirectional to me, but I saw Republicans (like Michelle Bachman) go to some closed monuments and complain that they were closed! When the Republicans, she in particular, held at least partial responsibility for the closure! The hypocrisy was sickening!

by Anonymousreply 185December 25, 2018 1:43 PM

I wish people would stop calling it the Obama shutdown... he did NOT shut down the government at any time, it was Congress who couldn’t agree, and one time when toad Ted Cruz did it.

by Anonymousreply 186December 25, 2018 1:48 PM

The nuclear option would Make the Senate into the House, and few senators want that

by Anonymousreply 187December 25, 2018 2:27 PM

Trump says shutdown will last until there is border wall agreement, according to CNBC

by Anonymousreply 188December 25, 2018 2:44 PM

Dump is playing chicken with a lot of lives.

by Anonymousreply 189December 25, 2018 2:59 PM

If it drags on for a month, Trimp will have to pull troops from the boarder and Afghanistan to replace the quitting, unpaid TSA staff

(or air travel will shut down)

by Anonymousreply 190December 25, 2018 3:28 PM

R178 after that woman got called out she posted this victimhood message. She's a Republican, all right. She may not have voted in the last election, but you can tell by the way she deflects and tries the "both sides" nonsense.

[quote]The amount of people who think I'm responsible for my husband's current situation because I didn't vote for Hillary is astounding. I didn't vote for Trump either. Both parties are responsible for missing paychecks during a shutdown. But sure, blame the victims.

by Anonymousreply 191December 25, 2018 3:29 PM

Trump will give in once Congress is back from holiday. Of course he will spin it as a win for himself whatever happens. The Republicans, even without the fillibuster, likely did not have the votes to pass it in the Senate and heaven forefend they depend on Democrats to override a threatened veto.

by Anonymousreply 192December 25, 2018 3:31 PM

Notice how it was called the Obama shutdown then, and now the republicans are calling it the democratic shutdown. Republicans suck donkey dick. Hypocrisy to infinity.

by Anonymousreply 193December 25, 2018 3:47 PM

He’s going to the border in January

by Anonymousreply 194December 25, 2018 3:52 PM

Maybe he'll get hit in the head by one of those tossed bags of coke and be mortally wounded.

by Anonymousreply 195December 25, 2018 3:55 PM

r191 “I don’t understand why that matters” told me she was a Republican (no matter the question).

by Anonymousreply 196December 25, 2018 4:51 PM

Now the wall is not needed in some places, because there are "rivers and mountains."

He's just pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 197December 25, 2018 5:03 PM

[quote]Hundreds of migrants have been dumped on the streets of El Paso today by ICE (Merry Christmas), presumably the result of them being furloughed because of the government shutdown. Major humanitarian crisis.

Sorry -- no room at the inn.

by Anonymousreply 198December 25, 2018 5:35 PM

[quote]Trump says shutdown will last until there is border wall agreement, according to CNBC

It will last until Trump agrees there will be no wall.

by Anonymousreply 199December 25, 2018 5:36 PM

[quote]pull troops from the boarder

Are they having an orgy?

by Anonymousreply 200December 25, 2018 5:39 PM

[quote]”did you vote for trump?”

[quote]”I don’t see how that matters”

Whomp whomp.

by Anonymousreply 201December 25, 2018 7:45 PM

TIME

President Trump Said Federal Employees Support the Shutdown. Not True, Say Unions Representing Hundreds of Thousands

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202December 27, 2018 1:19 AM

Republicans do not want to pay the American people when they are working. This is clear.

by Anonymousreply 203December 27, 2018 3:06 AM

Some are predicting the shutdown could last until at least mid February. All over trump’s stupid white elephant in the desert.

by Anonymousreply 204December 27, 2018 3:07 AM

A six-week shutdown would be intolerable. He will cave and take whatever Pelosi gives him. He'll declare victory and that will be the end of this wall nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 205December 27, 2018 3:18 AM

Any Dlers affected by the #trumpshutdown?

Who does this to the American people during Christmas? These Republicans are nasty f!ckers.

by Anonymousreply 206December 27, 2018 3:38 AM

[Quote] Notice how it was called the Obama shutdown then, and now the republicans are calling it the democratic shutdown. Republicans suck donkey dick. Hypocrisy to infinity.

YES!!!!! And most Americans believe that. Americans are the dumbest people on the planet!!!!

by Anonymousreply 207December 27, 2018 3:42 AM

Sorry, I meant mid-January, NOT mid-February.

by Anonymousreply 208December 27, 2018 3:58 AM

Trump's lawyers are using the government shutdown to ask for a delay in a court case over claims that he is illegally profiting from business his Washington hotel does with foreign countries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209December 27, 2018 1:33 PM

While I believe that Democrats must walk cautiously here, this is such an opportunity. Where are Democrats, (and others), calling out the lie Trump told yesterday about military pay raises? I should be hearing; "WHAT PAY RAISES?"

Then more people should be outraged by the deaths of those two children at the border. Yes, it is politicizing those babies but don't let their deaths be in vain. Bottom line... Democrats should be piling the shit on.... and, not just on Trump but the entire Republican party too!

by Anonymousreply 210December 27, 2018 1:56 PM

R207 clearly you've never heard of Russia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211December 27, 2018 3:21 PM

Why the government shutdown is good legal news for Trump--The president’s lawyers cited the government shutdown to win a delay in the emoluments case against him.

SHIT!

Okay, let's sit down and talk...

by Anonymousreply 212December 27, 2018 3:39 PM

The U.S. Office of Personnel Management has released sample letters federal workers may use as a guide when working with their creditors during this furlough.

Advice includes "I would like to discuss with you the possibility of trading my services to perform maintenance (e.g. painting, carpentry work) in exchange for partial rent payments."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213December 28, 2018 4:14 PM

Meanwhile, taxpayers are subsidizing the Secret Service detail at the Mar-a-Lago NYE party.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214December 28, 2018 4:26 PM

R214 For fuck's sake..

by Anonymousreply 215December 28, 2018 9:44 PM

LOL!

TRUMP! TRUMP! TRUMP!!!!!

White House to Freeze Pay for Federal Workers in 2019--Those serving in the military generally not affected by executive order

As the partial government shutdown grinds on, President Donald Trump signed an executive order Friday evening that would freeze pay for federal workers in 2019.

by Anonymousreply 216December 29, 2018 2:38 AM

Now he wants to close the southern border - that will cost billions a day as well.

by Anonymousreply 217December 29, 2018 3:20 AM

Just die!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218December 29, 2018 4:25 AM

More Casualties of the Trump Shutdown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219December 29, 2018 4:52 AM

I just want to see the bastard in prison.

by Anonymousreply 220December 29, 2018 4:56 AM

But her emails.

by Anonymousreply 221December 29, 2018 5:43 AM

He wants to stop the migrants; close the southern border.

He shut down DHS; is refusing to pay border guards.

by Anonymousreply 222December 29, 2018 8:09 AM

Trump tells Dems to ‘come on over and make a deal’ as shutdown enters eighth day

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223December 29, 2018 4:57 PM

Dens better negotiate pay increase for fed workers

by Anonymousreply 224December 29, 2018 5:44 PM

His tweets today about the two dead kids at the border just highlight how he has not one once of empathy and is a true sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 225December 29, 2018 6:07 PM

I didn’t read [Italic] Art of the Deal [/italic] but I suspect he negotiates thusly:

Start with a ridiculous position. If a property is worth $1.1 million, offer $800,000. Then bang and clang over a long period until the other party is simply worn down.

(My sleazy neighbor did exactly this, but I just said “no thanks” and ended discussion, though he did increase his offer to $880,000.)

by Anonymousreply 226December 29, 2018 6:09 PM

Vile

by Anonymousreply 227December 29, 2018 6:22 PM

For those that naively ask why didn’t the Republicans get approval to build the Wall over the last year, it is because IN THE SENATE WE NEED 10 DEMOCRAT VOTES, and they will gives us “NONE” for Border Security! Now we have to do it the hard way, with a Shutdown. Too bad! @FoxNews

Any deaths of children or others at the Border are strictly the fault of the Democrats and their pathetic immigration policies that allow people to make the long trek thinking they can enter our country illegally. They can’t. If we had a Wall, they wouldn’t even try! The two.....

...children in question were very sick before they were given over to Border Patrol. The father of the young girl said it was not their fault, he hadn’t given her water in days. Border Patrol needs the Wall and it will all end. They are working so hard & getting so little credit!

by Anonymousreply 228December 29, 2018 7:07 PM

With reference to R226, the Dems should counter with this:

We’ll put $10 billion towards the wall if Trump resigns today.

No worries, after he’s gone, they can just reverse their vote. That’s not lying, it’s just negotiating and “making a deal”. I’ll bet that’s in his book.

by Anonymousreply 229December 29, 2018 9:00 PM

R229 I’m in love with your post. In LOVE. I wish it could happen!!

by Anonymousreply 230December 29, 2018 10:37 PM

Can he close the Canadian border too? I hate Canadian Bacon and we can't allow it to continue to infiltrate the country.

by Anonymousreply 231December 29, 2018 10:46 PM

[quote]Border Patrol needs the Wall and it will all end.

Will tunnels, planes, and ships simultaneously cease to exist?

by Anonymousreply 232December 30, 2018 1:10 AM

There are multiple elaborate underground tunnel systems with entrances on the Mexican side that end up in the US. Some fly to the US and overstay their visa or come here and have a baby which automatically makes the American-born child (jus soli) a US Citizen since it was born in the USA. The wall is not cost effective, not too mention an enormous waste of resources. Aside from not keeping out the majority of those they don't want in, the wall is about hatred and that is what Trump and his base stand for.

by Anonymousreply 233December 30, 2018 1:23 AM

The poor, dead 8-year-old defeated the wall that already exists at El Paso.

by Anonymousreply 234December 30, 2018 1:37 AM

Isn't the passport division closed at the Department of State? The only one #trumpshutdown is hurting is Americans and for Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 235December 30, 2018 1:49 AM

It is a war on Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 236December 30, 2018 4:48 AM

Donald Trump is such a fucking cunt bastard. I’m not sure I’ve hated anyone more in my entire lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 237December 30, 2018 1:29 PM

If we build a wall, how will Trump's golf club stay fully staffed?

[quote]New Jersey prosecutors have collected evidence that supervisors at President Trump’s Garden State golf club may have committed federal immigration crimes — and the FBI as well as special counsel Robert Mueller have played part in the inquiry, the Daily News has learned.

[quote]Anibal Romero, a Newark attorney who represents several undocumented immigrants who used to work at the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, said Friday he recently met with investigators from the state attorney general’s office and handed over fraudulent green cards and Social Security numbers that management at the club allegedly procured and gave his clients, Victorina Morales and Sandra Diaz.

more at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238December 30, 2018 1:41 PM

The princess speaks;

Graham: There will never be a deal without wall

State of the Union Verified account @CNNSotu

GOP Sen. @LindseyGrahamSC: "So to my Democratic friends, there will never be a deal without wall funding and many Republicans are going to offer something as an incentive to vote for wall funding that you have supported in the past.” #CNNSOTU

by Anonymousreply 239December 30, 2018 2:51 PM

Partial Federal Shutdown Into Ninth Day With Trump Blaming Democrats

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240December 30, 2018 3:11 PM

Hopefully the democrats don't cave. Trump thinks they will. The longer this goes on the more will be blamed on Trump.

by Anonymousreply 241December 30, 2018 3:36 PM

Why do the Democrats support border walls in Israel and in their own gated communities? Walls are what keeps Nancy Pelosi safe from her constituents.

by Anonymousreply 242December 30, 2018 3:45 PM

^ Nice try, troll

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243December 30, 2018 3:47 PM

Democrats love walls that protect their private property.

(Big League Politics) – Far-left failed presidential candidate and former U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is fighting to keep migrants and hikers off of his exclusive beachfront property in France, despite French law which allows them access, according to a Friday report.

“The laws of France say that a portion of all beaches must be public access, but the wealthy Saint-Briac residents don’t think that law applies to them” said Western Journal.

The property in question is Kerry’s inherited home in Saint-Briac-sur-Mer, an exclusive tows described as a “playground for the elite.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244December 30, 2018 3:49 PM

Are you really posting a tea party link here r244?

by Anonymousreply 245December 30, 2018 3:52 PM

LOL! When will the trolls learn that they cannot win here? For the most part, we're all very educated over here. Their propaganda doesn't even get off of the ground--especially if it's a Tea Party link! Maybe they're looking for friends?

by Anonymousreply 246December 30, 2018 3:57 PM

The trolls don’t even seem to be trying anymore. How ridiculously transparent can you even be, R242/R244?

by Anonymousreply 247December 30, 2018 4:01 PM

Jews make up less than 2% of the US population but they also make up 98% of the employees at CNN.

The anti-Trump hysteria on CNN and other MSM outlets is Jewish hysteria.

Those who are brainwashed to call Trump supporters Komrad and Boris are serving the interests of America-hating Jews.

Trump serves the needs of the USA over the needs of Israel and that alone is why Trump supporters are called Nazis by America-hating Jews.

by Anonymousreply 248December 30, 2018 4:04 PM

R248

by Anonymousreply 249December 30, 2018 5:01 PM

Here is the conservative case against “the Wall”...collected from several conservative sources like The Cato Institute, The National Review and others...

1. Walls don’t work. Illegal immigrants have tunneled underneath and/or erected ramps up and down walls to simply drive over them. People find a way. When East Germany erected its wall, it created a military zone, staffed by booted, machine-gun carrying guards ready to shoot to kill. Yet thousands managed to make it to West Germany anyway. More to the point, do we really want to model ourselves after communist East Germany?

2. Most illegal immigrants are “overstayers.” They come to the US legally — for vacations, business, to study, etc. — and then STAY past their visas. By 2012, overstayers accounted for 58% (THE MAJORITY!) of all unauthorized immigrants. A wall is meaningless here!

3. Walls have little impact on drugs being brought in to the US. According to the DEA, almost all drugs come in through legal points of entry, hidden in secret containers and/or among legit goods in tractor-trailers. A wall will have little to no impact on the influx of drugs into our country.

4. It’s environmentally impractical. Walls have a hard time making it through extreme weather. For example, in 2011, a flood in Arizona washed away 40 feet of STEEL fencing. Torrential rains and raging waters do serious damage. Also, conservative sources generally do not address the environmental harm that walls create, but there is plenty of documentation available that show its potential for irreparable damage to both plant and animal life.

5. A wall would forces the U.S. government to take land from private citizens in eminent domain battles. Private citizens own much of the land slated for the wall. The costs of the government snatching private land — and the legal battles that would ensue — are incalculable...

by Anonymousreply 250December 30, 2018 5:11 PM

6. Border patrol agents don’t like concrete or steel walls because they block surveillance capabilities. In other words, they can’t mobilize correctly to meet challenges. So in many ways, a wall makes their job more difficult.

7. Border patrol agents say, “Walls are meaningless without agents and technology to back them up.” Are we prepared to pour countless billions annually — after the wall is built — to create a nearly 2,000 mile, militarized 24-hour surveillance border operation? Because according to patrol agents, that’s the only way a wall would work. Again, are we really, going to use East Germany, a brutal communist state, as our model here? Are we seriously going to model ourselves on East Germany and their wall? A 1979 celebration in E. Berlin.

8. Where walls have been built, there was “no discernable impact on the influx of unauthorized aliens.” In other words, they came in elsewhere, primarily where natural barriers such as water or mountainous regions precluded a wall.

9. An unintended consequence is that a wall blocks farmworkers from EXITING when their invaluable seasonal work is done. Farmers are against the wall because it makes getting cheap seasonal labor almost impossible as few American citizens want or can even do those jobs. And if seasonal worker do get in, a wall makes it harder for them to leave! A wall traps migrant farm laborers in our country.

by Anonymousreply 251December 30, 2018 5:12 PM

Mom is worried about her pension check and SS.

by Anonymousreply 252December 30, 2018 5:12 PM

11. According to MIT engineers, the wall would cost $31.2 billion. Homeland Security estimates it at $22 billion. Given the pattern of spending mentioned in number 10 (plus Murphy’s Law), that means we’re really talking about pouring endless billions into something that doesn’t even work. And, of course, we taxpayers will be footing the bill, not Mexico. Given all the drawbacks, is that REALLY the best use of our taxes?

As the conservatives of the Cato Institute put it, “President Trump’s wall would be a mammoth expenditure that would have little impact on illegal immigration.” (Emphasis mine) Also it would create many “direct harms:” “the spending, the taxes, the eminent domain abuse, and the decrease in immigrant’s freedoms of movement.”

And, we must add, since conservative sources do not — that the environmental harms are likely to be severe.

In other words, the facts show that walls don’t work and they create even bigger, more expensive problems.

by Anonymousreply 253December 30, 2018 5:13 PM

FF that antisemitic Trump cunt at R248 into oblivion , please.

by Anonymousreply 254December 30, 2018 5:16 PM

R250, that list is great. Do you have a link?

by Anonymousreply 255December 30, 2018 5:28 PM

Here’s a link, R255.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256December 30, 2018 5:40 PM

Thank you, r256!

by Anonymousreply 257December 30, 2018 5:53 PM

Nothing that a good marksman couldn’t fix. Lord knows the target is big enough.

by Anonymousreply 258December 30, 2018 5:54 PM

How sick is this?

"More people now would be worried about their kid marrying outside of their party then they would about religion or race"--Doris Kearns Goodwin commenting on an article that she had recently read.

by Anonymousreply 259December 30, 2018 8:41 PM

The Real Wall, created by none other than the Divide-and-Conquer-in-Chief

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260December 30, 2018 8:43 PM

[quote]How sick is this? "More people now would be worried about their kid marrying outside of their party then they would about religion or race"

Not sick at all.

Do you give a fuck if a family member marries someone of a different race? Seriously?

A different religion? Why would you even care about that?

Someone who votes for a completely different type of society? No one wants to be around that during the holidays, forever.

by Anonymousreply 261December 30, 2018 8:48 PM

We need a wall.

by Anonymousreply 262December 30, 2018 8:49 PM

You'll have a beaded curtain and like it.

by Anonymousreply 263December 30, 2018 8:51 PM

R259, I don't think it's sick, I think it's progress. Race and religion don't measure kindness or values. Our politics have come down to that though.

by Anonymousreply 264December 30, 2018 8:54 PM

Miss Lindsey offers a deal....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265December 30, 2018 9:03 PM

Graham: "If he's anything, he's not a man under siege."

Omniscient Narrator: "He's a man under siege."

by Anonymousreply 266December 30, 2018 9:08 PM

R256, Trump makes decisions based on his emotions. On which leaders (he thinks) like him and he likes. But the Deplorables accuse Liberals, in general, of being emotional? It’s truly an upside down world.

by Anonymousreply 267December 30, 2018 9:08 PM

Given how fat he has got, Trump himself can be the wall.

by Anonymousreply 268December 30, 2018 9:13 PM

NO DEAL, Miss Lindsey! But, it's something to work with. Counter offer: $2.5B for border security and in return Bridge, DACA and TPS. $6B for defined border security and "gang of eight" immigration reform. $10B if a one year CR is thrown in.

by Anonymousreply 269December 30, 2018 9:14 PM

From a Canadian's point of view, I just don't get it...

1 - Trump said he was going to build a wall 2 - Trump said Mexico was going to pay for the wall 3 - Trump was going to sign a bi-partisan bill to keep the government funded 4 - Trump listened to right wing pundits and decided not to sign the bill 5 - Trump is blaming Democrats for the shutdown

Did I get that correct?

As [R267] posted, it really is an upside-down world. Republicans have control of the White House, Senate and House, but they are blaming Pelosi for going to Hawaii instead of staying in DC and hammering out a deal with this incompetent nincompoop. I had to turn it off before she finished her nonsensical blabbing but seeing Conway on CNN this morning really did move me to believe we've fallen down the rabbit hole.

And let's all be honest... if this were Obama in the WH and the Repugs controlled Congress, they'd be yelling and screaming and thumping their chests and blaming the black guy in the White House.

Please please please vote this monster out!!!

by Anonymousreply 270December 30, 2018 9:17 PM

Not a dime.

This Wall across America that Mexico Will Pay For was a fevered campaign ploy that no one wanted but right-wing talk radio. It will cost 20 to 40 billion dollars, and that is not how scarce funds should be allocated.

If Democrats give in to even1 billion for a slat fence or beaded curtain this stupid thing will never die. It must be killed, now, once and for all.

They must not give in or fall for sweeteners. Help for Dreamers, etc., is supported by a majority of the people and by both parties, so it can be introduced by a Democratic House separately, later, and will be approved by a Republican Senate, and the majorities will be veto-proof.

Not a dime.

by Anonymousreply 271December 30, 2018 9:26 PM

The Fuhrer tweets;

President and Mrs. Obama built/has a ten foot Wall around their D.C. mansion/compound. I agree, totally necessary for their safety and security. The U.S. needs the same thing, slightly larger version!

1:59 PM - 30 Dec 2018

by Anonymousreply 272December 30, 2018 9:30 PM

I distinctly recall hearing him say that the wall would be concrete-style, not some crappy second rate steel slats.

by Anonymousreply 273December 30, 2018 9:34 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274December 30, 2018 9:46 PM

[quote]President and Mrs. Obama built/has a ten foot Wall around their D.C. mansion/compound. I agree, totally necessary for their safety and security. The U.S. needs the same thing, slightly larger version!

The "Obama" wall.

Welp! I guess there goes out the door of having Michelle Obama answer her own front door...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275December 30, 2018 11:20 PM

The Obama "compound" from the front

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276December 30, 2018 11:21 PM

so there's a 10-foot-high porch. maybe that's what he can buy for the border.

by Anonymousreply 277December 30, 2018 11:37 PM

[quote]Graham: "If he's anything, he's not a man under siege."

I guess he's not "under siege" in the same way that you're not gay, Linz.

by Anonymousreply 278December 31, 2018 12:35 AM

Australian reading this thread and wondering how in the fuck this can happen?

We have seen people interviewed on our news saying they are not going to get paid and don't know how they are going to pay their rent/mortgage and bills. How can that be allowed?

by Anonymousreply 279December 31, 2018 2:08 AM

Why the jew hate? they could get the wall built at discount?

by Anonymousreply 280December 31, 2018 2:25 AM

Beto's 48 second film on the idiocy of a border wall now has 5 million views on twitter alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281December 31, 2018 3:01 AM

[quote]Bedminster and Mar a Lago have fences too but it doesn't stop the illegals from showing up for work.

by Anonymousreply 282December 31, 2018 4:10 AM

The Guardian: "On-site inspections at power plants have been halted. Hazardous waste cleanup efforts at Superfund sites are on hold. Reviews of toxic substances and pesticides have been stopped. Justice department cases are in limbo. Meanwhile, now working without pay are thousands of air traffic controllers and aviation and railroad safety inspectors, nearly 54,000 Customs and Border Protection agents, 42,000 coast guard employees, 53,000 TSA agents, 17,000 correctional officers, 14,000 FBI agents, 4,000 Drug Enforcement Administration agents, and some 5,000 firefighters with the US Forest Service."

by Anonymousreply 283December 31, 2018 5:38 AM

[quote]and some 5,000 firefighters with the US Forest Service

Good, maybe they can use the free time to rake up the forest like I told them.

by Anonymousreply 284December 31, 2018 5:43 AM

And, the morning tweets:

An all concrete Wall was NEVER ABANDONED, as has been reported by the media. Some areas will be all concrete but the experts at Border Patrol prefer a Wall that is see through (thereby making it possible to see what is happening on both sides). Makes sense to me!

If anybody but Donald Trump did what I did in Syria, which was an ISIS loaded mess when I became President, they would be a national hero. ISIS is mostly gone, we’re slowly sending our troops back home to be with their families, while at the same time fighting ISIS remnants......

...I campaigned on getting out of Syria and other places. Now when I start getting out the Fake News Media, or some failed Generals who were unable to do the job before I arrived, like to complain about me & my tactics, which are working. Just doing what I said I was going to do!

.....Except the results are FAR BETTER than I ever said they were going to be! I campaigned against the NEVER ENDING WARS, remember!

by Anonymousreply 285December 31, 2018 12:30 PM

R285, how can anyone support that bloated blowhard?

by Anonymousreply 286December 31, 2018 1:07 PM

Inside the Pence-Schumer showdown

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287December 31, 2018 1:54 PM

Did he just say he wants a see-through concrete wall?

by Anonymousreply 288December 31, 2018 4:53 PM

Trump wants a peak a boo wall now. We should just tell Emperor Baby Fists that there is a stealth wall made by the Space Force.

by Anonymousreply 289January 1, 2019 3:26 AM

[quote] How can that be allowed?

Republicans hate government and they hate people who work for the government. As a result, they don't care what happens to them.

Incidentally, members of Congress and most presidential appointees continue to be paid during the shutdown.

by Anonymousreply 290January 1, 2019 3:48 AM

Guests paid $1,000 per person last month to reserve a seat to see Trump at Mar-a-Lago yesterday (for NY Eve dinner party) but he refused to attend due to the shutdown. And of course he kept their $1,000.

News articles "Garbage takes a toll in National Parks amid government shutdown" are everywhere today.

There are photos of garbage strewn about everywhere at our National Parks because no one is there to remove it and maintain the parks. Apparently, it piled up, spilled over, and the winds blew some around.

by Anonymousreply 291January 1, 2019 4:46 PM

What the hell is wrong with people?

"Some visitors have strung Christmas lights in the twisting Joshua trees (at Joshua Tree National Park), many of which are hundreds of years old, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Some are seizing on the shortage of park staffers to off-road illegally and otherwise damage the park, as well as relieving themselves in the open, a park statement said.

Visitors were allowing their dogs to run off-leash in an area rich with bears and other wildlife, and scattering bags of garbage along the roads."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292January 1, 2019 4:57 PM

[quote]What the hell is wrong with people?

Do you have to ask? Look who these people voted for.

by Anonymousreply 293January 1, 2019 5:08 PM

I would bet the overwhelming majority of people taking advantage of the situation or destroying our national parks are mostly his deplorable base. They think like Trump which means they don't think. They just do what they want. No morals whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 294January 1, 2019 5:14 PM

Dotard's tweeting is the equivalent of a rejected internet 'Nice Guy'. Insists on shouting about how perfect he is while only proving why he was rightfully dumped, in the first place.

He needs a soul patch and a fedora.

by Anonymousreply 295January 1, 2019 5:34 PM

Well, at least my (Federal government) pension check was direct-deposited this morning, so I'm good.

by Anonymousreply 296January 1, 2019 6:57 PM

I didn't think about that, r296.

by Anonymousreply 297January 1, 2019 7:21 PM

I only have one Deplorable family friend on Facebook and she's a Hispanic border patrol agent. She's usually ra ra ra about Trump and proud to be incarcerating immigrant kids. She's been silent since the shutdown started, I really hope she and her customs agent husband aren't getting paid. Her husband is a Puerto Rican who supported Trump's handling of the hurricane. Glad to see they're getting their Karma.

by Anonymousreply 298January 1, 2019 7:56 PM

Good god, who is in charge? This is really stupid, even for the trump admin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299January 1, 2019 8:45 PM

If the shutdown drags on another couple weeks, R298, they’ll be getting their Katrina.

by Anonymousreply 300January 1, 2019 9:15 PM

Washington Post -

Trump invites congressional leaders to White House for border security briefing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301January 1, 2019 11:50 PM

those cunts are working without pay, r298. Lol

It's not too bad being off without pay but having to work and not get paid would suck. So they are getting what they voted for.

They get more of that come April 15 because I will bet they haven't withheld enough taxes from their checks.

by Anonymousreply 302January 2, 2019 3:02 AM

Americans are nuts. Anybody not getting paid in France or the UK would have already gone on strike and shut down the country.

by Anonymousreply 303January 2, 2019 10:01 PM

January 2: proof to anyone sentient that Bugfuck Insane Trump is impossible to deal with, and is going to have to be left out of any resolution to the shut down now.

by Anonymousreply 304January 2, 2019 10:48 PM

[quote] Americans are nuts. Anybody not getting paid in France or the UK would have already gone on strike and shut down the country.

Americans love being abused by their employers and allow themselves to be manipulated into opposing measures to improve their working conditions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305January 2, 2019 10:57 PM

[quote]Anybody not getting paid in France or the UK would have already gone on strike and shut down the country.

Oh shut up! It's a race to the bottom between the UK, France, and the United States.

by Anonymousreply 306January 2, 2019 11:21 PM

R292. I was in Joshua Tree last week. It was overrun, and at times just hilarious with people who didn’t appear to have been outdoors before.

On one of the first trails, I encountered a family with small children who were .. unattended. Let’s go with that. The daughter, who I’d was about 4 was merrilly sticking her finger in a hole in ground “Daddy! I saw something go in here!”

Mommy and Daddy were happily preening for selfies while their children were sticking their fingers into odd holes in the desert where snakes and scorpions are commonly seen. Hope those pictures were awesome!

Yes, I was hoping for Instant Darwin (™)

by Anonymousreply 307January 3, 2019 12:59 AM

Pelosi’s aid, to Trump .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308January 3, 2019 4:32 AM

People are shooting porn and having orgies at Joshua Tree. Good bless Southern California

by Anonymousreply 309January 3, 2019 4:56 AM

If the Dems stick to their guns - and common sense - the Republicans will abandon Trump over the shutdown.

The general public will complain about closed or filthy national parks, delayed loans, refunds, needed paperwork; businesses will complain about non-functioning e-Verify, subsidy payments; and other closed approval offices; the government will freak over mass quitting/retiring of TSA and other unpaid security agents and contractors.

The holdup? Toddler Donnie’s crying because Congress (and Mexico) won’t give him the one point six billion scoop wall Santa promised.

Like Gardner, other Republicans will eventually vote to do what their constituents want.

And if he tries to stick them with the blame; it’ll make them that’s much more them more inclined to replace him - should the opportunity arise.

by Anonymousreply 310January 3, 2019 10:15 PM

In the future, the Wall and Trump support will be career-ending for many Republican politicians. It’ll be like Hillary’s vote on Iraq. Her vote was a big reason Dems voted for Obama over her. It can’t happen soon enough, for me.

by Anonymousreply 311January 3, 2019 10:58 PM

So what are our predictions on how this will end? I think eventually the House and Senate will pass a bill with no funding on the wall, but will claim they’re funding it for next round (clearly with no intention of ever funding it). Dump will then claim victory like the moron he is.

by Anonymousreply 312January 4, 2019 2:28 AM

Trump is doing his usual to blame the dems with his #shumershutdown and then telling Nancy Pelosi it is up to her to end the shutdown. I will say his press breifing was pretty smart bringing the border agents to say a wall would work but the underlying racism is still there.

by Anonymousreply 313January 4, 2019 2:33 AM

It'll be interesting to see how John Cornyn votes. He isn't a teabagger, he's a Big Bucks Republican - so much so Lyin Ted Cruz tried to get Cornyn primaried by a rightwinger in 2014. Cornyn in the past has said he's opposed to the wall.

by Anonymousreply 314January 4, 2019 2:39 AM

Lurking around some of the deplorable sites they aren't at all upset about the shutdown. Many are saying that Trump is a strong leader and takes no bullshit and other positive comments and compliments. Based upon their posts they are saying that they admire his tenacity, determination and persistence, which is really assholeality and mule-stubborn stupidity. Hard to believe they still stand by him at this point, but it's true. And they won't care about the shutdown until the moment they are personally impacted or affected in some way. Then they'll care. They only think of themselves. They don't care about anyone but themselves.

by Anonymousreply 315January 4, 2019 3:57 AM

[quote]I will say his press breifing was pretty smart bringing the border agents to say a wall would work

I haven't seen this, but are government employees allowed to engage in political activity?

Or course, they're not being paid. So Lemonade?

by Anonymousreply 316January 4, 2019 4:06 AM

Trumps ignorant base is quite amused by the shut down. I didn't know these haters also hate federal workers too. A lot. Some have made comments like "Now they know what its like to struggle and go through your savings." They were laughing about the fact that the federal workers aren't getting paid. They are that hateful and ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 317January 4, 2019 4:13 AM

Deplorables won't be laughing when they don't get their food stamps and disability checks.

by Anonymousreply 318January 4, 2019 4:20 AM

[quote]Trumps ignorant base

Are irrelevant because they’ll adore Trump no matter what.

This looks very bad to independents, whom trump needs to be re-elected.

by Anonymousreply 319January 4, 2019 4:32 AM

trump is taking a hit because of his stupid shutdown, and so are the Republicans. They have to lie to their ignorant base about the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 320January 4, 2019 6:06 AM

Trump/Republicans are so stupid. There are plenty of registered republicans and independents who work for the federal government, or work for governmental contractors. They are PISSED, some are living paycheck to paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 321January 4, 2019 6:09 AM

Washington Post:

House Democrats vote to reopen government and deny Trump wall money, defying veto threat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322January 4, 2019 2:11 PM

They can send it to the Senate and then let McConnell weasel around about why he won't bring it to the floor for a vote.

by Anonymousreply 323January 4, 2019 2:15 PM

Trump threatened to keep government shut down for ‘months or even years’ to get border wall funds, Democrats say

Update: President Trump threatened Friday to keep the government shut down for months or even years in order to get money for his border wall, Democratic leaders said after a meeting with the president at the White House.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said their White House meeting with President Trump and Republicans was lengthy and contentious, as they reiterated their opposition to new funding for a border wall and urged Trump to end the partial shutdown.

“We told the president, we needed the government open. He resisted. In fact he said he’d keep the government closed for a very long period of time, months or even years,” Schumer said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324January 4, 2019 6:21 PM

Washington Post:

While federal workers go without pay, senior Trump administration officials are poised to get $10,000 raises

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325January 4, 2019 8:10 PM

Has anyone flown in the past week?

I'm flying Sunday and just read TSA workers are working without pay and calling off sick at major airports. Have you noticed longer wait times?

by Anonymousreply 326January 4, 2019 8:18 PM

Flew out of LAX this morning.

No problems at TSA

Missed paycheck start [italic] next [/italic] Friday.

by Anonymousreply 327January 4, 2019 8:39 PM

The first missed paycheck for me starts next Saturday when my check would normally be direct-deposited. I'm exempted, so I've been in work for much of the last two weeks. This sucks. Some of our support staff are going to be in a lot of trouble if they don't get paid.

I already hate this motherfucker with the intensity of 10,000 white-hot suns. But -- wretched traitor that he is -- each day he still manages to do something to make me hate him just a little bit more.

by Anonymousreply 328January 4, 2019 11:00 PM

R327. I flew on 12/28 and it hadn’t yet started to visibly affect TSA. However, it sounds like “blue flu” is starting to kick in and I won’t be surprised to spread rapidly.

Like anywhere, if you’re not getting paid - you have to get a part time job to pay the bills. Everytime there’s a shut down, this is what happens. Federal workers try to get jobs at Home Depot, Walmart, - anywhere, just to get a paycheck of any kind.

They don’t want to get unemployment, because if Congress votes to reimburse them the missed pay due to the shutdown, they have to repay the unemployment. If it’s a prolonged shutdown, this can run into the thousands of dollars quickly.

by Anonymousreply 329January 4, 2019 11:50 PM

So, everyone, have at me... I think the only way to win this is to “give in,” I.e., give Dump some of the money. He agreed originally to 3 billion. Make the deal but pretend it’s a new one. And then fucking hunt him till the end of time through the House with indictments and investigations.

I admit I’m a little toasted so maybe I haven’t thought this through.

by Anonymousreply 330January 5, 2019 1:25 AM

Hey, what about the IRS? Do we still need to file? And refund checks?

by Anonymousreply 331January 5, 2019 1:34 AM

[quote]Do we still need to file?

Yes.

[quote]And refund checks?

No.

by Anonymousreply 332January 5, 2019 1:42 AM

R332? what do you mean NO?

by Anonymousreply 333January 5, 2019 1:47 AM

I wish there would be more push back about this being a crisis. Crossing at the border is actually less than it has been in a past. There needs to be immigration reform, but there is no new emergency or crisis where we need to bring the government to a halt.

by Anonymousreply 334January 5, 2019 1:48 AM

In every previous shutdown, the furloughed government workers eventually got paid after the government was funded. I don’t think that civilian contract employees will, as far as I can tell. So, we’re paying people not to work.

If Trump wanted to up the ante, he would announce that he would veto any bill authorizing back pay, until he gets his wall. That would be very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 335January 5, 2019 1:48 AM

[quote][R332]? what do you mean NO?

I mean they're not going to be processing refunds during the shutdown.

by Anonymousreply 336January 5, 2019 1:49 AM

R333, the IRS likely won't be processing refunds while the shutdown drags on. You will still need to file.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337January 5, 2019 1:50 AM

R335, he doesn't need to. If this drags on long enough, the fact that they will eventually be paid doesn't help them right now, with rent payments, mortgage payments, insurance, food, and so on.

by Anonymousreply 338January 5, 2019 1:51 AM

A friendly reminder: there are two hoops to jump through:

The government enacts laws that require funding of some sort, which increases the debt.

The government has a separate vote to raise the debt ceiling. This should be a moot point because Congress already authorized all of its spending, and this law seems to contradict their first vote.

The debit ceiling vote ought to be trashed as it is completely superfluous.

by Anonymousreply 339January 5, 2019 1:59 AM

R335 That would initiate lots of lawsuits as the majority of the federal government is under labor agreements. The federal government is not hourly wage and the President does not have the legal authority to deny compensation to federal employees, which is what you appear to suggest.

That’s a violation of federal labor law. More egregious violations of law, but hey why not.

The federal employees are not party to the dispute between the Legislative and Executive Branch and legally must be made whole, regardless. Failing to do so leaves both the Executive and Legislative Branches open to rather extensive - and expensive - litigation against the government. PATCO was expensive. Reagan may have won when he fired the air traffic controllers, but it cost the taxpayers billions, so it was a pyrhhic victory.

Trump could try his stunt but the upshot would be all federal pensions would become due for payout for all the terminated federal employees. So, enjoy digging deep into your pockets for the millions of federal employees who are eligible for a cash payout of their entire pension and 401K that is due on severance under federal law.

by Anonymousreply 340January 5, 2019 2:03 AM

[quote]So, everyone, have at me... I think the only way to win this is to “give in,” I.e., give Dump some of the money. He agreed originally to 3 billion. Make the deal but pretend it’s a new one. And then fucking hunt him till the end of time through the House with indictments and investigations.

How the fuck is that a “win?”

So whatever Trump wants, Trump gets? Or he’ll strangle the government? Fuck that. The Congress makes the laws. If the president is going to veto them, it had better be for a better reason than “they didn’t fund one of my stupid campaign pledges.”

by Anonymousreply 341January 5, 2019 2:43 AM

R341 it isn’t a win. I totally am ok with people telling me this is a bad idea. I feel like we got into a pissing match with a skunk , and the only way to win is to run away, then bomb the hell out of the skunk so that it and all of his furry friends are obliterated. But I’m not sure how to bring that about right now, when so many people are feeling horrible side effects of this monster.

Your point is so important—we have given this president unreal power. Congress makes the laws and passes the budgets to carry them out. The president is supposed to follow the ruling of Congress and implement their laws. This president is carrying out a coup d’etat by imposing his own rule and law.

by Anonymousreply 342January 5, 2019 2:51 AM

Right now, the voters are blaming Trump for this and they don't want to shut down the government over the wall, R342. Why on earth would Democrats capitulate so lamely?

There is a way out for this and that is to trade the $5 billion for things that Democrats want, like legal status for the Dreamers.

by Anonymousreply 343January 5, 2019 2:53 AM

The shutdown is costing far more than the $5 billion, so at least we don't have to hear anyone pretend anymore that it's about the cost of the wall.

by Anonymousreply 344January 5, 2019 2:55 AM

Mueller should hand Pelosi something to work with.

by Anonymousreply 345January 5, 2019 2:55 AM

We don’t. The next thing we do is shut down all flight ops at Andrews and Quantico and ground all aircraft assigned for executive branch use.

No more trips to Mar A Lago, Fat Ass. No more going *anywhere*. You’re staying in DC.

by Anonymousreply 346January 5, 2019 2:59 AM

Trump does not care that the shut own cost money. He doesn't pay taxes, you do.

by Anonymousreply 347January 5, 2019 3:01 AM

R344, the wall will end up costing over $30 billion, with an annual maintenance cost of over $5 billion. It will do enormous damage to sensitive terrain, will do enormous damage to wildlife, and it will never be built because it's fucking stupid and because there are insurmountable obstacles in the way.

We already have a wall where it makes sense to do so. And we already have a bill calling for a wall on the southern border. Congress stopped funding it because it was a multi-billion dollar boondoggle. Moreover, the wall won't fucking work, either to stop drugs or to stop illegal immigration. So explain to me just why we should give in to this childish tantrum and give Trump $5 billion to piss away?

by Anonymousreply 348January 5, 2019 3:02 AM

[quote] I feel like we got into a pissing match with a skunk

No. This all started with a certain element of Republican who believes that holding something and/or anyone hostage is a great strategy to get what they want. If someone would please correct me on my history if I'm wrong, but this started with the debt ceiling when there were Republicans that were willing to crash the economy, (in fact, our credit rating was lowered), and it wasn't a game of chicken.

We have got to get back to a point of where things are simply sacrosanct and cannot be used and/or manipulated in such a way. I mean... this new breed of Republican is just nasty and evil. They don't care. The only objective is to win.

by Anonymousreply 349January 5, 2019 3:07 AM

Workers should go on strike...not just government workers, all workers. People in transportation first...airtraffic controllers, bus drivers....

by Anonymousreply 350January 5, 2019 3:07 AM

[quote]Workers should go on strike...not just government workers, all workers.

I actually agree with this. The solution will come from the people. Let all of the subway and transit workers call in sick for a day. NYC would be closed for business. There would be a settlement within hours.

by Anonymousreply 351January 5, 2019 3:10 AM

Holy shit! Just now on Brian Williams, a hard-core Trumpie couple were interviewed by MSNBC in their home. They said "If we weren't so personally affected by this shutdown right now where we can't pay our bills then yeah we'd be all for it and stand by Trump."

by Anonymousreply 352January 5, 2019 3:11 AM

I agree. In comparison, look at the Wilson Bridge that spans the Potomac from Virginia to Maryland. It’s only 4 miles. It took 10 years to complete and cost over $4 Billion. It’s no architectural wonder. But, like any federal government project, it has to be built to federal government and state standards.

Any wall has to be built according to Federal, State and US Army Corps of Engineer Standards. It’s not a question of “let’s throw up some brick and block and call it a day”. You’re talking about a major earthworks project that will be as twice as deep as it is tall with sensors because it has to provide ground sensors for tunnels - if it’s to actually be anything more than an ego project. Otherwise, it’s bullshit.

It’s a 2,000 mile long project at a minimum cost of $1 Billion per mile using any reference project of major construction done anywhere in the US in the last 20 years. Numbers the Fat Idiot throws around is him pulling crap out of his ass and sucking it off his finger. He’s pulling a Joe McCarthy and making up numbers.

A Project like this, includinig land acquisition through eminent domain - because most of this land is privately owned - all the adjacent easements, treaty negotiations with Mexico for access to both sides and modifications to waterway rights on the Rio Bravo/Rio Grande will cost over $200 Billion and take over 20 years to build.

Anything else he’s telling you is complete and total bullshit. Federal law requires this go for competitive bid, cannot be sole sourced and will have to be split out by states with a minimum 10% set aside for minority workforce participation. Call that a 20% kicker in contract delay acquisition costs and a 5 year delay. So, $300 Billion with overruns and 25 years with delays.

This now costs as much as Medicare.

by Anonymousreply 353January 5, 2019 3:11 AM

R353, In my opinion, Trump is sooo hard up about this wall mess because it will be an opportunity for he and his friends to literally raid the US coffers. This has nothing to do with any campaign promise. It's about getting access to the greatest payday that anyone could have ever conceived.

by Anonymousreply 354January 5, 2019 3:15 AM

So the 5 billion would only be enough to extend a few miles. So why the strident opposition to something that would have so little effect? Spend 5 billion to save much more by ending the shutdown. This is a stupid issue to give up everything else on.

by Anonymousreply 355January 5, 2019 3:17 AM

How so R354? I am not disagreeing with you and certainly wouldn't put it past Trump and his ilk to raid the coffers. But I really don't get exactly how they could pull that off *and* also not be found out and called out.

by Anonymousreply 356January 5, 2019 3:19 AM

Giving Trump money for a senseless wall just because the big baby wants it so as not to “look foolish” is stupid.

If you give in this time, how will you avoid giving in next budget time when he says we need, say, preventive detention for certain people because “they are rapists and bring disease and drugs, etc to our communities.”

He bragged about shutting down government and government workers’ paychecks. Congress has the power of the purse. They need to use it. Override his veto or be tarred with the consequences.

by Anonymousreply 357January 5, 2019 3:20 AM

R355, what on earth are we "giving up?" People are blaming Republicans for this, so what are Democrats losing?

by Anonymousreply 358January 5, 2019 3:21 AM

Squeaky Fromme, where are you when we need you???

by Anonymousreply 359January 5, 2019 3:21 AM

Yup, R357. Republicans have been trying this shit for years. And every time we "give up," it just encourages them to keep doing it. You don't negotiate with terrorists.

by Anonymousreply 360January 5, 2019 3:23 AM

R354 I am inclined to agree with you, but I am perplexed when His Toadiness never submitted a budget proposal for this. That’s how things happen in DC.. Why, even people in the Midwest learned this on “Schoolhouse Rock” - “I’m just a Bill, a Bill On the Hill”.

Trump just yells and screams like this is a reality TV show. Nothing happens under the Constitution until the fat stupid Pumpkin Macroon submits a bill to Congress. Or Perhaps one of his cocksucker toadies submits a bill on behalf of the administration. Except right now, he has nobody in the House who can do it because .... whomp whomp Democrats control the legislative calendar and the majority whip owns the scheduling.

So, suck it Trump. Oh, sure he probably gets told by “Fox & Friends” the Senate can do it for him. But the Senate really can’t originate any spending legislation, so McConnell is as useless as he is turtle-like. That’s a swing and a miss.

Madame Speaker is going to force Trump to submit actual legislation which he got away with not doing while he had lackeys in the Thuglican controlled congress.

The Labouties are back, and there’s hell to pay - but with decorum. Picture “The Devil Wears Prada”. But it’s “The Devil Plays Roberts Rules of Order”

by Anonymousreply 361January 5, 2019 3:24 AM

@356; All of a sudden, new LLC's would be created; over padded billings, cost overrruns. Look at what Zinke (wink-wink) tried to pull of in Puerto Rico. OH! It would be VERY hard to convince me that Zinke was not going to get a taste of that.

But, look at the corruption of this administration. Carl Icahn got out of dodge and no one is even thinking about him anymore. He was having a blast ripping off the country before he left. How is Wilbur Ross still there? He knows that Trump is going to implement tariffs the very next day and so he sells out of his steel positions and buys puts? Who is saying anything?

by Anonymousreply 362January 5, 2019 3:26 AM

Exactly. The classic shell game of creating multiple corporations, hiding the parent and rigged bidding. Never a dull moment.

by Anonymousreply 363January 5, 2019 3:29 AM

[quote]But the Senate really can’t originate any spending legislation

The trick that the Senate uses is to take any spending bill from the House and replace all of its contents with an amendment, satisfying the Constitutional rule.

by Anonymousreply 364January 5, 2019 3:30 AM

[quote] R344: The shutdown is costing far more than the $5 billion, so at least we don't have to hear anyone pretend anymore that it's about the cost of the wall.

The cost of the entire wall would be $100 billion, or more. I’ve heard up to a trillion dollars. The $5 billion is just a start.

by Anonymousreply 365January 5, 2019 4:07 AM

^ Right. The wall will cost significantly more than he's claiming, he's been told that and he knows it.

He just needed an excuse for the shutdown and to keep his base happy because right now he needs them. He can't afford to lose any more of his deranged Cult 45 members.

by Anonymousreply 366January 5, 2019 4:29 AM

when can each state make decisions to fund emergency programs, like the superfund EPA sites and forest workers, instead of county workers and redundant and poorly performing programs?

I would think a state would prefer the EPA scientists or CDC medical doctors than some losers at some antiquated, redundant low-level county-level program?

by Anonymousreply 367January 5, 2019 9:03 AM

[quote]Trump’s superpower is not giving a shit, and he's using it to win the shutdown showdown. People going without paychecks, parks overflowing with trash, government unable to perform basic functions … he doesn’t care, but he knows that others do: Advantage him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368January 5, 2019 2:28 PM

all those people will not vote for him in 2020 or the other republicans who side with Trump. This is a loss for Trump/Republicans. There are registered republicans and independents who are federal employees or contractors, and they are PISSED and hurting financially.

by Anonymousreply 369January 5, 2019 2:42 PM

[quote] Advantage him.

He doesn't care, clearly, but the Republican Representatives and Senators will. If this continues too long and Republicans continue to get blamed, their future in Congress is in jeopardy and at that point, they shove Trump aside and vote to continue funding.

by Anonymousreply 370January 5, 2019 2:47 PM

So let's recap:

There was a proposal floated by the White House to settle for less money. Trump said no: it has to be $5.6 billion.

One of Trump's spokesmen said that the Democrats were too hung up on the wall, that the money could be used for other forms of border security. Trump said no: it has to be a concrete and steel wall.

That same spokesman said that they would be prepared to negotiate for other types of barriers. Trump said no: it has to be a concrete and steel wall.

There was a proposal on the table to give him money for his wall in exchange for legal status for the DACA recipients. Trump said no: that could not be part of the negotiations.

So what, precisely, are they negotiating? Trump has basically said, "Give me exactly what I want and I'm not going to settle for anything else." At this point, what other option do Democrats have than, "Fuck you!"

by Anonymousreply 371January 5, 2019 11:01 PM

And, therefore R371.... LET THE TRUMP SUPPORTERS SUFFER!!!!!

I LOVE IT!

by Anonymousreply 372January 5, 2019 11:09 PM

R369. I don’t think that’s going to make a huge difference, yet. This is still electoral college politics for 2020. The Democrats are definitely on the upswing coming from the midterm and have picked up a lot of seats for the general. It still matters how we separate Trump’s incompetence from his base of support.

When ordinary people connect harm to their daily lives, which so far they haven’t done, it may start to erode his support. We see our 401ks getting hurt, but what percentage of Trump’s base have savings? Own homes?

Right now, if you want to buy a home with FHA or VA funding - you can’t. This is going to start hitting the middle class hard in the coming days as offers to buy homes expire due to the inability to get funding. “Thanks Trump!”

It’s the daily examples of the role of government in our lives where Trump is screwing up that we need to make sure is felt, that we need to get into the news. Things like school programs being shut down, sports programs, before and after school programs terminated.

It has to hit home this shit is for real and not just Washington politics.

by Anonymousreply 373January 5, 2019 11:19 PM

So Trump insists that "some of them," referring to ex-Presidents, have told him that we should have built a border wall in the past. There are four living ex-Presidents: Carter, Clinton, Bush, and Obama. Five, if you count H.W. Bush, since Trump didn't put a timeframe on this. Gee, I wonder if Trump was telling the truth.

by Anonymousreply 374January 5, 2019 11:38 PM

From Robert Costa:

[quote]Top Trump aides tell the Post that the president is irritated by reports of GOP offers and knows Dems see the offers as a sign of weakness. So, the stalemate continues even as the VP huddles.

And this is key, from Seung Min Kim:

[quote]Pence, WH officials, senior Hill aides meet to try and broker end to shutdown, altho few expect a breakthrough -- Pence doesn't even have Trump's blessing to float new numbers for a deal.

You can't have negotiations when the participants don't have the authority to negotiate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375January 5, 2019 11:41 PM

Loved this from Matthew Yglesias:

[quote]It really feels like Pelosi should cut out the middle-man and open direct negotiations with the cast of Fox & Friends to find out what kind of face-saving “border security” fudge they’d go for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376January 5, 2019 11:44 PM

[quote]This is still electoral college politics for 2020. The Democrats are definitely on the upswing coming from the midterm and have picked up a lot of seats for the general.

With all due respect, let's stop thinking strategically and think more of getting the message to the people. That was the downfall of Hillary (sorry) Clinton, and her team--they were too smart for their own good. In my opinion, Democrats MUST push the message; "What do you have to lose?". Well... LOTS! And, that message must get through to the people. Trust me, Republicans are working OVERTIME to define Democrats.

Democrats MUST work to control and OWN the narrative. If you're a racist and/or bigoted, federal worker Trump supporter, then where is your paycheck? Besides doing their work, Democrats MUST take control of this marketing opportunity. The Democrats have the possible opportunity of BURYING the Republicans right now.

by Anonymousreply 377January 6, 2019 12:08 AM

Thank you R377

Toned down just a tad (so as not to frighten the horses)

That’s absolutely true

by Anonymousreply 378January 6, 2019 1:04 AM

The only reason Trump is doing this is, the rightwing media pundits questioned his manhood for moving ahead without wall funding. He felt inadequate and now needs to show how tough he is.

So he’s basically a twelve year old.

The way out of it is either the democrats cave, which I would say seems unlikely but hey, they’ve caved before, or the media coverage of the ill consequences of the shutdown form such a firestorm that he has to say, we have no choice, we have to go ahead without my wall bucks.”

by Anonymousreply 379January 6, 2019 1:42 AM

What gets me about this whole situation is how unaware, (or, so it is reported), the Trump team were about the damage of this mess. They seem to still be caught up with the optics ie meeting at Camp David, etc. It's like they are just now realizing.... "HOLY SHIT!"

by Anonymousreply 380January 6, 2019 2:34 AM

Trump ‘s presser today. He claims that he never said the wall had to be concrete. (He had, actually. He specifically had said it would be a concrete and not anything else.)

When asked about Mexico paying for the wall, he said his trade deals are making billions and billions of dollars. Far more than the cost of the wall.

He said “You don’t understand something. Steel is stronger than concrete...”

He claimed credit for a recovery in the steel industry over the last two years.

He says China is paying tariffs billions and billions of dollars coming into the Treasury. Oh, now it’s tens of billions of dollars in taxes, he says.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381January 6, 2019 2:48 AM

And now this destructive menace is redefining his government shutdown as a "strike".

A new path to block payment of salaries for the federal employees?

by Anonymousreply 382January 6, 2019 3:14 AM

I’ve said for quite awhile that the Democrat who runs on a “no drama” platform will win. People are exhausted by this president. They will love it when things are quiet and calm and they don’t have to be the pawns in the Dump White House reality series.

by Anonymousreply 383January 6, 2019 3:15 AM

Forgot the link.

The non-president is still is blathering on about not caring that so many Democratic voters are not getting their salaries, while still insisting the unpaid federal employees all support the wall.

Why is this delusional person not under a 72 hour hold at St. Elizabeth's?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384January 6, 2019 3:26 AM

What about his minions? Does he care that Republican voters aren't getting their salaries, either?

by Anonymousreply 385January 6, 2019 3:42 AM

R384 Link - "National Emergency" could lead to Martial Law. All the drama. Meanwhile, he's saying that anyone who doesn't support the wall is a criminal. Pot-Kettle.

I found an old post of mine from October 2016. I posted "If he's elected POTUS there will be nothing but drama and scandal coming from this White House." I live in NYC and have had his number since the mid 80s. I hope he gets impeached.

by Anonymousreply 386January 6, 2019 3:43 AM

The only Wall we need are the ones for the mental hospital we we put this lunatic inside. A nice sanctuary for the mentally ill, using the 25th Amendment.

That’s a Wall we can all support - and I bet Mexico will pitch in, too.

by Anonymousreply 387January 6, 2019 3:48 AM

They are still gonna cross illegally, no matter what you do. They cross via rivers.

by Anonymousreply 388January 6, 2019 3:51 AM

^ And fly in and don't leave. Or give birth making the baby a US citizen. Or they come via the underground tunnels.

by Anonymousreply 389January 6, 2019 3:56 AM

^ And the opposite direction. More than a million Americans live in Mexico without permanent legal residency. It’s easy enough to get, which is my retirement plan.

When did America turn into East Berlin?

by Anonymousreply 390January 6, 2019 3:59 AM

This whole thing reminds me of the Maginot Line in WWII.

The French built this big fortified barrier. A huge amount of time and effort went into it. The French thought it was impenetrable and the Nazis would never get in. So the Germans went around it through other countries. No problem.

The whole idea of a wall stopping people is really a medieval idea. Once airplanes were invented, walls as barriers became obsolete.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391January 6, 2019 4:01 AM

Build the wall. We will take de plane or walk de tunnel.

by Anonymousreply 392January 6, 2019 4:04 AM

democrats MUST emphasize that they are completely in favor of border security, but no the useless wall. Why is the wall useless? How much will it really cost? So far, the Dems have not done enough to combat the lies coming out of the White House.

by Anonymousreply 393January 6, 2019 4:48 AM

R10... Social Security checks won't be affected. They'll be mailed out and delivered as usual.

by Anonymousreply 394January 6, 2019 4:55 AM

R393 I agree 100%. What I keep hearing from the deplorables is "democrats don't care about our borders".

by Anonymousreply 395January 6, 2019 5:08 AM

There's a word for forcing people to work without paying them. It's called SLAVERY. We tried it before. It didn't end well.......

by Anonymousreply 396January 6, 2019 5:15 AM

This federal government shutdown is manufacturer by Trump/Republicans, the democrats and other constituents have stated that this is not an necessary emergency. But, pretty soon each state will have to implement their emergency plans to fund crucial programs. State Governors tend to be more mainstream and even progressive than any other elected politician. Unfortunately, there are terrible red state ones, but they will take the heat and public backlash. This also helps the democrats.

by Anonymousreply 397January 6, 2019 5:18 AM

Most Cult 45ers are applauding Trump and saying that now federal workers know what it's like to work in the private sector. They also seem to think this has affected food stamps and Section 8 housing and they are also happy about recipients being denied assistance. From what I am reading they are happy about the shutdown and too dense and stupid to realize the consequences. We are talking here about sadists who thrive on drama and anarchy. So they're okay with this.

by Anonymousreply 398January 6, 2019 5:44 AM

what these idiots fail to realize that without money, federal employees will no longer be buying stuff.

Like those mom and pop gas stations, restaurants, pizza places, grocery stores, clothing stores, etc. won't be getting the money they are used to. How many of those small businesses depend on the money federal employees and contractors spend to stay a float?

Without that revenue, many of them will end up closing.

The looming recession due to the fool's trade war just kicked into overdrive and it will hit by this summer if not sooner.

by Anonymousreply 399January 6, 2019 5:56 AM

[quote]Once airplanes were invented, walls as barriers became obsolete.

When illegal aliens come across the border in dive bombers, then people will have to agree that the wall was a useless idea.

by Anonymousreply 400January 6, 2019 5:57 AM

Trump is, with purpose, attempting to create a national emergency by breaking the system so that he can claim greater power. He WANTS to declare martial law. This is his primary goal. The wall is just a means of getting there. If he can do this, everyone will be working so hard to survive the resulting chaos, they won't be focusing on his crimes. He is a clear and present danger to the United States.

by Anonymousreply 401January 6, 2019 6:13 AM

^ Well said. I agree.

by Anonymousreply 402January 6, 2019 6:27 AM

As far as I can tell, neither Orange or his staff have made any effort to get their policy goals (random brain farts like this wall) into legislation by working with Congress, even when Congress was controlled by the same party.

That's just a basic fumble of epic proportions.

by Anonymousreply 403January 6, 2019 6:55 AM

Thank god,, r403.

by Anonymousreply 404January 6, 2019 7:00 AM

r400, you're probably unaware that many if not most illegal aliens arrive by airplane and overstay their visas (not just from Mexico, but from many other countries as well). Can't see how having a wall is going to stop them.

by Anonymousreply 405January 6, 2019 7:05 AM

Maybe this is why I envision small boats filled with immigrants going around the wall to some San Diego beach, or even Baja. This wall is a joke and Dumpa$$ is simply postering. Dems need to hold press conferences everyday suggesting Dumpa$$ simply wants to create a national emergency at everyone's expense.

Mueller needs to come through with some indictments! WTF!!!

If not, then he must not have anything on the Grifters! (I'm tired of waiting already!

by Anonymousreply 406January 6, 2019 7:18 AM

There is already wall where there needs to be wall. Trump is fine about pushing people off the payroll. He is a piece of filth and Mueller is the only one to help our country right now but he refuses. Republicans will never do the right thing.

Trump will leave us in a shambles, just as Putin instructed.

by Anonymousreply 407January 6, 2019 7:41 AM

Trump tweeted the meme in the link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408January 6, 2019 10:12 AM

10 min ago

....The only reason they do not want to build a Wall is that Walls Work! 99% of our illegal Border crossings will end, crime in our Country will go way down and we will save billions of dollars a year! A properly planned and constructed Wall will pay for itself many times a year!

“We simply cannot allow people to pour into the United States undetected, undocumented, unchecked...” Barrack Obama, 2005. I voted, when I was a Senator, to build a barrier to try to prevent illegal immigrants from coming in...” Hillary Clinton, 2015.

by Anonymousreply 409January 6, 2019 11:46 AM

R409, Funny how Cons hate everything about Obama and Clinton but quote them when they want support for Trump’s positions.

By the way, neither Obama nor Clinton voted for a physical wall

by Anonymousreply 410January 6, 2019 11:57 AM

Just reported on MSNBC: Latest poll reveals that 71% of federal employees oppose shut down.

I guess they're the Democrats....

by Anonymousreply 411January 6, 2019 12:10 PM

Deplorables are, well... deplorable, mean and stupid, with trump leading them on. These are the people with a nasty, sadistic, streak... the more suffering people go through (especially liberals in their mind), the better. I hope this shut down hits these people really hard, as this continues. At this point, people who still like trump, are the dregs on meanness of society.

by Anonymousreply 412January 6, 2019 12:35 PM

Before it became the chief sticking point in a government shutdown drama that threatens to consume his presidency at a critical moment, President Trump’s promise to build a wall on the southwestern border was a memory trick for an undisciplined candidate.

As Mr. Trump began exploring a presidential run in 2014, his political advisers landed on the idea of a border wall as a mnemonic device of sorts, a way to make sure their candidate — who hated reading from a script but loved boasting about himself and his talents as a builder — would remember to talk about getting tough on immigration, which was to be a signature issue in his nascent campaign.

“How do we get him to continue to talk about immigration?” Sam Nunberg, one of Mr. Trump’s early political advisers, recalled telling Roger J. Stone Jr., another adviser. “We’re going to get him to talk about he’s going to build a wall.”

Talk Mr. Trump did, and the line drew rapturous cheers from conservative audiences, thrilling the candidate and soon becoming a staple of campaign speeches. Chants of “Build the wall!” echoed through arenas throughout the country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413January 6, 2019 2:32 PM

^^Kellyanne Conway's husband, in response:

In other words—the “wall” was originally cooked up as a trick to use the candidate’s narcissism (“I am the greatest builder!”)to get him to talk about immigration policy.

Virtually *everything* about this man and his “presidency” can be understood through his narcissism.

by Anonymousreply 414January 6, 2019 2:38 PM

[quote]Social Security checks won't be affected. They'll be mailed out and delivered as usual.

Are you posting from 1990?

by Anonymousreply 415January 6, 2019 3:39 PM

The only good thing that will come out of building a wall will be the impetus to develop new technology to get over it.

So ... maybe I'll finally get that jet-pack I was promised?

by Anonymousreply 416January 6, 2019 3:41 PM

I Dems give him what he wants on this - he wins 2020.

by Anonymousreply 417January 6, 2019 4:07 PM

Look, no one is saying this, and it needs to be shouted:

He broke his promise to you. He said Mexico would pay for it.

Mexico is not paying for it. Don't be a sucker--you should not have to pay for his broken promise.

by Anonymousreply 418January 6, 2019 4:09 PM

R418 Right. And revive what they said about Clinton, right from Limbaugh's mouth "He Lies Under Oath". They thought it was such a damn big deal then.

by Anonymousreply 419January 6, 2019 5:06 PM

Trump also make clear, he explicitly said, it would be a concrete wall, a not a fence. That’s fine, if he acknowledged that he learned more about it and concluded that a steel fence is better than concrete, but that’s not what he’s saying.

Besides, he keeps flip flopping as to whether it will be a concrete wall or a steel slat fence, from day to day.

by Anonymousreply 420January 6, 2019 7:57 PM

Holy fuck he's nuts.

MAKE IT STOP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421January 6, 2019 7:57 PM

Oh, R421, he just lies. Just says random things. When he isn’t lying, he is not saying anything of substance at all.

“The Wall will pay for itself many times over, than it costs every year.”

Walls don’t pay for themselves.

“We have no choice.”

Hmm, actually we do.

“Democrats agree that we need a barrier.”

Not as Trump defines it, they don’t.

“I think I’ve done a great job.”

Yes, we know that’s what you think.

Nothing makes me lean more to the Left than listen to this nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 422January 6, 2019 8:13 PM

^ Totally. He's gone full on Zippy the Pinhead.

by Anonymousreply 423January 6, 2019 8:16 PM

Trump wants to crash the economy. He has bragged about making money during the recession and housing crisis.

by Anonymousreply 424January 6, 2019 8:24 PM

I suspect at least part of this is to keep the House distracted. This is Issue #1 for them right now, and it prevents the Intelligence, Government Oversight, and Banking committees from finally holding substantive hearing into all the dirty laundry.

by Anonymousreply 425January 6, 2019 8:26 PM

Just a reminder:

The Wall will be ineffective because people will either go over it, or tunnel under it.

It is probably the most expensive means to address the immigration problem. Estimated at many tens of billions, up to $1-2 trillion, plus indefinite maintenance expenses.

It will crowd-out funding for actual, cheaper, more effective solutions.

Large sections of the border have such terrain that a wall cannot be built, unless it is built far on the US side.

Many ranches span the border.

We could use drones, cameras, motion detection, and be more effective.

Putting the wall on the US side of the Rio Grand will deprive US ranchers of a water supply. Ditto for wild animals.

Anything Trump promotes should be questioned. He’s a stupid man with severe mental health problems, a chronic liar, and a Russian asset.

by Anonymousreply 426January 6, 2019 8:28 PM

[quote]Her vote was a big reason Dems voted for Obama over her.

Except that never happened. Democrats voted for Hillary Clinton over Barack Obama. He got the nomination, but not because voters chose him over her.

by Anonymousreply 427January 6, 2019 8:30 PM

I laughed when I heard Trump say the shutdown could last years, he won't be around that long. He's going to rue the day that he decided to run for POTUS.

by Anonymousreply 428January 6, 2019 8:35 PM

Russia? Or, is CNBC complicit?

How Trump's tweet storms to rally support for the government shutdown seem to be working

In his battle with Congress over border wall funding, President Donald Trump has leaned heavily on Twitter to rally support among his followers.

So far, the strategy seems to be working. That doesn't bode well for a quick resolution to the standoff.

Based on CNBC review of his wall-related tweets, the effort is paying off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429January 6, 2019 8:39 PM

Okay, guys. Please explain one thing to me. I've seen photos of the proposed "wall". What prevents an illegal from jerry-rigging a ladder or using a grappling hook to get over it? It doesn't look all that impenetrable.

by Anonymousreply 430January 6, 2019 8:44 PM

^ there's nothing that prevents anything from ramming through those panels. They're indefensible.

by Anonymousreply 431January 6, 2019 8:49 PM

They can just carve a hole in the wall and get in.

by Anonymousreply 432January 6, 2019 8:49 PM

And we can use the holes for gloryholes later!

by Anonymousreply 433January 6, 2019 8:51 PM

[quote]How Trump's tweet storms to rally support for the government shutdown seem to be working

[quote]President Donald Trump has leaned heavily on Twitter to rally support among his followers. So far, the strategy seems to be working.

big difference between what's in the headline and what's in the story.

Of course he can rally support among his Twitter followers. Was there any question?

[quote]That, however, doesn't bode well for a quick resolution to the standoff.

There is nothing in the rest of the article to support this statement.

Despite interactive graphics that show how many favorites and retweets each shart of electronic diarrhea produces, the story makes no connection to why predictable behavior from his Twitter followers makes a quick resolution unlikely.

They should be looking at the tweets of Republican Senators.

by Anonymousreply 434January 6, 2019 8:55 PM

[quote]What prevents an illegal from jerry-rigging a ladder or using a grappling hook to get over it? It doesn't look all that impenetrable.

Or . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435January 6, 2019 8:57 PM

R430: nothing.

To be effective, the Wall would need to be monitored by cameras, drones, and motion detectors. Border agents would need to stationed nearby, at periodic forts along the Wall, ready to apprehend migrants that are detected near their fort. Incidentally, that’s how the Chinese Wall was staffed, and also Hadrian’s Wall.

We could use cameras, drones, and motion detectors now. This would be cheaper and as effective as the Wall, without that ridiculous expense.

by Anonymousreply 436January 6, 2019 8:58 PM

Or . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437January 6, 2019 9:00 PM

[quote]Incidentally, that’s how the Chinese Wall was staffed, and also Hadrian’s Wall.

Also the Sworn Brothers of the Night's Watch, before they fell on hard times and could only staff the Shadow Tower, Eastwatch-by-the-Sea, and Castle Black.

by Anonymousreply 438January 6, 2019 9:03 PM

^since we're now governing America by fiction tropes

by Anonymousreply 439January 6, 2019 9:04 PM

Maybe all the deplorables should head south (with their guns, of course) and do a permanent "Hands Across America" line along the border. What could possibly go wrong?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440January 6, 2019 9:29 PM

Fox News’ Chris Wallace Shreds Sarah Huckabee Sanders Over Border Terror Claims

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441January 6, 2019 9:31 PM

My silly suggestion for Democrats is that they proceed as if Trump has agreed with their proposals and plans. This stuff might already exist but Democrats should send an objective camera crew and reporting team down to the border in order to settle once and for all what exactly is happening down there. Then Democrats should publish a proposal about border security and itemize all that would be required, costs, and anticipated effectiveness.

Then have a two hour town hall with the American people.

Of course all of this would be done without the Republicans or their knowledge. My point: Take the argument to the people.

by Anonymousreply 442January 6, 2019 10:20 PM

NEWS!

V.P. Mike Pence and group had a productive meeting with the Schumer/Pelosi representatives today. Many details of Border Security were discussed. We are now planning a Steel Barrier rather than concrete. It is both stronger & less obtrusive. Good solution, and made in the U.S.A.

by Anonymousreply 443January 6, 2019 10:25 PM

He must be getting some serious bribe money for this. Which steel or concrete company is doing the job. That’s who’s paying him off.

Bets it’s upwards of a billion dollar payoff.

by Anonymousreply 444January 6, 2019 10:28 PM

Pelosi offered a dollar for the wall. It’s pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 445January 6, 2019 10:49 PM

Oops, here is Pelosi about that dollar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446January 6, 2019 10:49 PM

At 2 minute mark, Pelosi answers the question as to whether or not they’ve made progress with Trump.

It’s hard to tell, but I think she’s saying that there was really no progress made.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447January 6, 2019 11:00 PM

What's her problem?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448January 7, 2019 1:23 AM

Oh, Miz Linz, he'll fold like a cheap suit and proclaim it a win unprecedented in the annals of Western civilization.

by Anonymousreply 449January 7, 2019 2:58 AM

What Trump can do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450January 7, 2019 7:52 AM

Do you think the smithsonian museums will be open by March? Any predictions?

by Anonymousreply 451January 7, 2019 10:29 AM

Yes R425!

by Anonymousreply 452January 7, 2019 11:34 AM

First missive of the morning:

With all of the success that our Country is having, including the just released jobs numbers which are off the charts, the Fake News & totally dishonest Media concerning me and my presidency has never been worse. Many have become crazed lunatics who have given up on the TRUTH!...

...The Fake News will knowingly lie and demean in order make the tremendous success of the Trump Administration, and me, look as bad as possible. They use non-existent sources & write stories that are total fiction. Our Country is doing so well, yet this is a sad day in America!

by Anonymousreply 453January 7, 2019 12:19 PM

All he does is whine or brag and often both in the same tweet. I cannot imagine how tiresome it must be to actually be around him. One of the recent departures really need to be brutally honest on his state of mind (although they are too cowardly and/or have too much self-interest to do so).

by Anonymousreply 454January 7, 2019 12:25 PM

Washington Post:

What will it take to end the shutdown? Watch these three things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455January 7, 2019 12:59 PM

Stephanie Rhule just did a piece in which Immigration workers (some Rs some Ds) were on the verge of frustration and tears over being required to work without a paycheck.

(As one said: The government gave me a letter to use to ask creditors for forbearance. But you can’t take a letter to the gas station or to the grocery store. They’ll laugh at you.)

This all ends when:

1. Roughly a third of R Senators tell Mitch to grow a spine and end it. At that point he’ll have the votes to override Trump’s veto and if Stephanie’s piece is any indication, House members will be besieged; and/or,

2. Trump envokes a phony National Emergency Order and tells DoD to build the Wall. Crises solved; he’ll heroically sign the bills. The courts will (eventually) strike down the Order but by then he’ll have moved onto another issue.

by Anonymousreply 456January 7, 2019 2:07 PM

^YES! YES! YES!!!! SUFFER!!!

by Anonymousreply 457January 7, 2019 2:12 PM

Trump's vision of how the wall will protect us from the invading Mexican creatures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 458January 7, 2019 2:12 PM

McConnell's hometown newspaper is not impressed:

[quote]McConnell, stop sitting on your hands. End this government shutdown

. . .

[quote]The Kentucky Republican is not lending his expertise to help Trump negotiate a deal with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer. He’s acting like a disinterested backbencher more concerned about whether he’ll be out of the office in time for happy hour at Johnny’s Half Shell.

more at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459January 7, 2019 3:37 PM

Whoa, is a Fox turning on Trump? It seems to me they are the ones who egged trump on.

Sorry, I can't cut and paste from this device.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 460January 7, 2019 4:16 PM

You're welcome, R460

Sen. Mitch McConnell has a problem – And it’s Donald Trump

Few know how to bring government to a grinding halt better than Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky. After all, it was McConnell who said in 2016: "One of my proudest moments was when I told Obama, 'You will not fill this Supreme Court vacancy.’”

McConnell succeeded in denying President Obama the right to appoint a Supreme Court justice to a seat that was vacant for 19 months until President Trump appointed Neil Gorsuch.

So it is worth noting McConnell’s absence from the government shutdown instigated by Trump. He has disappeared from the debate. In fact, McConnell didn’t even attend the president’s news conference Friday about the shutdown.

While the House Republican leadership was standing next to President Trump during the news conference, McConnell was nowhere to be found, even though he attended the White House meeting about the shutdown minutes beforehand.

Just before Christmas, the Senate passed legislation on a voice vote that would fund the federal government to stay open through Feb. 8 without the more than $5 billion that President Trump is demanding for his wall.

In her first act as speaker of the House last week, Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., passed the same legislation in the House that the Senate passed in December.

by Anonymousreply 461January 7, 2019 4:22 PM

Rest of article:

Now McConnell refuses to bring the House legislation up for a vote in the Senate without Trump’s support. In response, Pelosi accused McConnell of abdicating his responsibility as Senate majority leader.

Why is McConnell ducking this fight now? Mitch McConnell has a problem – and it’s Donald Trump. Senate Republicans are facing a tough 2020 election with 22 seats to defend and they may be starting to realize Trump is a liability. In fact, one of those Republican senators up for re-election in 2020 is Mitch McConnell.

The cracks in the GOP veneer are evident. Republican Sens. Cory Gardner of Colorado and Susan Collins of Maine – both up for re-election in 2020 – are calling for an end to the government shutdown and are supporting the House legislation they both voted for a few weeks ago. Sen. Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., who recently announced that he’s not running for re-election in 2020, said: “There is no excuse for even a short-term, partial government shutdown … I'm not for a government shutdown under President Trump.”

Joining Alexander in announcing his retirement is Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan. – and we’re just in the second week of 2019.

Freshman Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, set an independent tone for the new Senate term with his critical op-ed about President Trump in The Washington Post.

Romney wrote: “With the nation so divided, resentful and angry, presidential leadership in qualities of character is indispensable. And it is in this province where the incumbent’s shortfall has been most glaring …. To reassume our leadership in world politics, we must repair failings in our politics at home. That project begins, of course, with the highest office once again acting to inspire and unite us.”

Trump is even a factor in McConnell’s re-election in Kentucky, where the senator faces a potential primary challenge from Gov. Matt Bevin, a Trump devotee.

If McConnell draws a primary challenge from his right by Bevin that could pose the biggest political threat of all to the Senate majority leader. It is possible that McConnell, 76, may even decide not to run for re-election. Given all that has happened in the last two years, nothing can be ruled out.

McConnell is facing pressure from all sides and everywhere he turns there is Trump. The Senate majority is at risk, his iron grip on the Republican caucus seems to be slipping, and his own political future is potentially in jeopardy.

Meanwhile, Republican senators are starting to see Trump as a liability. An unpopular president, pushing an unpopular wall, and an unpopular government shutdown – all three opposed by the majority of Americans – combine to put McConnell in an untenable situation.

In addition, the investigation by Special Counsel Robert Mueller of possible cooperation between the Trump campaign and Russia to help elect Trump in 2016 continues. And House Democrats are planning to launch their own oversight hearings into the Trump administration.

All this means it’s only going to get harder for President Trump to fend off attacks and even harder for Senate Republicans to continue to support him.

It is January 2019 yet we may be seeing the beginning of the end for McConnell and the Republican majority in the Senate – and that may mean the beginning of the end of the Trump presidency.

by Anonymousreply 462January 7, 2019 4:23 PM

Thank you very much, r461 / r462

by Anonymousreply 463January 7, 2019 4:25 PM

Reuters:

Trump to travel to southern border on Thursday: White House

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464January 7, 2019 4:49 PM

Now that's a severe case of anus mouth, r464.

by Anonymousreply 465January 7, 2019 4:52 PM

Washington Post:

As shutdown drags on, Trump officials make new offer, seek novel ways to cope with its impacts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466January 7, 2019 4:54 PM

Some of you bitches are just pure evil;

"Thousands support petition to rename street in front of Trump Tower after Barack Obama"

Thousands of people have signed an online petition asking to rename the section of Fifth Avenue in front of New York City's Trump Tower after former President Barack Obama.

The MoveOn.org petition, which was started by Elizabeth Rowin, asks NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio to consider renaming the stretch of Fifth Avenue between 56th and 57th Streets "President Barack H. Obama Avenue."

"The City of Los Angeles recently honored former President Barack Obama by renaming a stretch of the 134 Freeway near Downtown L.A. in his honor," the petition explains.

"We request the New York City Mayor and City Council do the same by renaming a block of Fifth Avenue after the former president whose many accomplishments include: saving our nation from the Great Recession; serving two completely scandal-free terms in office; and taking out Osama bin Laden, the mastermind behind September 11th, which killed over 3,000 New Yorkers."

"Any addresses on that stretch of Fifth Avenue should be changed accordingly," the petition adds.

Notable buildings located on the designated stretch of the historic avenue include multiple upscale retailers and, of course, Trump Tower, the prior long-time residence of now-President Donald Trump.

The petition has already racked up 21,800 signatures out of its goal of 25,000. But despite the burgeoning support for the cheeky proposed name change, the odds of it actually happening are fairly slim.

For the move to actually take effect, New York City Council would first have to approve the measure, which would then need the final green light from Mayor de Blasio himself.

by Anonymousreply 467January 7, 2019 9:24 PM

[quote]"The City of Los Angeles recently honored former President Barack Obama by renaming a stretch of the 134 Freeway near Downtown L.A. in his honor," the petition explains.

The 134 freeway goes nowhere near downtown LA.

by Anonymousreply 468January 7, 2019 9:25 PM

Los Angeles is naming a street after Obama as well.

[quote]Los Angeles will soon also name Rodeo Road, which is located in a largely African-American area of the city, after Obama.

(Note: This is NOT Rodeo Dr. in BH.)

by Anonymousreply 469January 7, 2019 9:27 PM

Actually, I think we should wait till 2020 and rename the street after the Dem who defeats him. Beto Avenue? Liz Warren Way? Kamala Harris Street? That would really rub it in.

by Anonymousreply 470January 7, 2019 10:03 PM

Pelosi should say to the republicans: We don’t negotiate with terrorists.

*drops gavel*

by Anonymousreply 471January 7, 2019 10:09 PM

It has to be obvious that Trump personally will benefit financially in a colossal way from the building of a wall.

by Anonymousreply 472January 7, 2019 10:19 PM

If there is to be a wall, Trump should be made to build it brick by brick.

by Anonymousreply 473January 7, 2019 10:36 PM

Trump does not care about workers at all, he never did. The only way to get him to make a deal, blackmail him...ask Putin how to do it. It might be a nude picture of him...or maybe a pardon for Ivanka?

by Anonymousreply 474January 7, 2019 10:52 PM

I agreeTrump will make a kickback for this ridiculous wall...why doesn't the FBI check it out? Maybe he will give the contract to a Russian Company. Honestly, Trump always sells out our country for a money deal.

by Anonymousreply 475January 7, 2019 10:56 PM

[quote]It has to be obvious that Trump personally will benefit financially in a colossal way from the building of a wall.

Kickbacks of phenomenal sums I would guess - why else would he be putting 2020 on the line like this?

by Anonymousreply 476January 7, 2019 10:59 PM

[quote]If there is to be a wall, Trump should be made to build it brick by brick.

And stay on the other side when it's done.

by Anonymousreply 477January 7, 2019 11:05 PM

The impact is going to be massive if this continues to go on. It’s going to ripple throughout the economy and every single US resident is going to feel it. Are we winning yet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 478January 7, 2019 11:08 PM

The GOP shutdown is going to cause another GOP recession.

by Anonymousreply 479January 7, 2019 11:49 PM

The Shutdown Is Mitch McConnell's Fault The Senate majority leader can end the shutdown by defying Trump. He's just refusing to do so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480January 8, 2019 12:28 AM

I don't think this is about making Trump or his cronies richer--although they would certainly view that as value-added. I think the end game is to make America weaker and leave us ripe for some sort of terrorist attack and/or make the resulting chaos it causes as a way for Putin to increase his aggression and acquisition of key European countries among his portfolio of assets.

by Anonymousreply 481January 8, 2019 12:35 AM

Mitch is in a squeeze.... GOOD! I sort of understand that he wants to get back at Trump for publicly humiliating him when Trump reneged on the deal. Let Trump stew in his own mess! But, the alternative is just as bad or worse.

Send the bill to Trump and he vetoes it. That won't look good--especially if it is overridden. Send the bill to Trump and he refuses to sign it and the bill becomes law in 10 days. Either way, that would mean that the Trump Administration is finished.

by Anonymousreply 482January 8, 2019 12:35 AM

I think it's way more for Trump's ego than his wallet.

He wants a monument to himself.

by Anonymousreply 483January 8, 2019 12:36 AM

[quote] R482: Send the bill to Trump and he vetoes it. That won't look good--especially if it is overridden. Send the bill to Trump and he refuses to sign it and the bill becomes law in 10 days.

Actually, if Trump refuses to sign or veto the bill, then it doesn’t become law in 10 days. It does not become law at all. It’s called a “pocket veto”,

by Anonymousreply 484January 8, 2019 12:45 AM

[quote]If the President vetoes the bill, a veto message is sent back to Congress. ... If a vote is taken to override, and the vote fails, the bill dies. The Bill Becomes Law. Officially, after the President signs the bill, 10 days passes without a signature, or after a veto override, the bill is considered law.

Constitutional Topic: How a Bill Becomes a Law

Congress just remains in session for 10 days to avoid a pocket veto and the bill becomes law.

by Anonymousreply 485January 8, 2019 12:53 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486January 8, 2019 12:59 AM

Thank you, r485.

by Anonymousreply 487January 8, 2019 1:08 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 488January 8, 2019 1:11 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 489January 8, 2019 1:12 AM

Congressional Democrats turn up the heat on GOP over shutdown

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490January 8, 2019 1:44 AM

In a way, R483. He wants a big wall and attention from it because of his small penis.

Every small dicked guy I've ever known was a g-d drama queen.

by Anonymousreply 491January 8, 2019 1:51 AM

One of the federal workers should sue. This is so unnecessary.

There’s no AG and no Sec. of Def. No Chief if staff and now no government at all.

Who does this benefit?

by Anonymousreply 492January 8, 2019 1:53 AM

There is class action suit representing 420,000 federal workers about this shutdown. It was filed on Jan 2.

by Anonymousreply 493January 8, 2019 1:58 AM

And another view of the ineffectiveness of walls in a region surrounded by water (the EU migration method)...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 494January 8, 2019 2:36 AM

I think what’s happening here is that Hannity is a Putin operative and since Putin knows Trump will do whatever Hannity wants, he just pays Hannity to tell Trump what to do.

Trump is too dumb to research what Putin wants and can’t read. But if Hannity says it, it’s like God said it. No questions asked.

by Anonymousreply 495January 8, 2019 2:47 AM

He's flailing now. He's looking for anything that will stick. His tweet 8 min ago;

Endless Wars, especially those which are fought out of judgement mistakes that were made many years ago, & those where we are getting little financial or military help from the rich countries that so greatly benefit from what we are doing, will eventually come to a glorious end!

I personally think that Trump is sick. He's living in a world that is only within his own mind. I think that he is getting off that he will be addressing the nation in the oval office but has no reality as to what that really means. He's sinking into that world that he has created in his own mind.

by Anonymousreply 496January 8, 2019 3:02 AM

I think that the greater discussion to have... and I don't know when, where, or who, should bring it up, is that nearly 80% of the country is living paycheck to paycheck and the average American only has $300 in the bank.

These are working people who are already working two or three jobs. Something is just gravely wrong with this picture.

by Anonymousreply 497January 8, 2019 3:13 AM

Maybe the IC will do everyone a favor and whack that potato head hannity.

by Anonymousreply 498January 8, 2019 3:50 AM

@KTLA

“I wanted to do our part to pitch in, and so tonight and every night until the shutdown is over, we are going to put a federal employee to work here at the show.” @JimmyKimmelLive is putting unpaid federal employees back to work

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499January 8, 2019 4:08 AM

Local businesses here have started a food/sundries drive to help our local Coast Guard who are shortly facing no pay checks. Lots of families with young kids who don’t have any funds to fall back on. The National Emergency will be these people unable to feed their kids and sustain their household. And Trump says he can see doing this for a year?? No. He will be run out of the White House on a rail. You don’t drive your citizens to desperation and expect to survive. He’s a fool if he thinks otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 500January 8, 2019 5:21 AM

I am stunned that most of the deplorables still support him and aren't budging. I thought at this point he'd lose a good chunk, maybe a third. But only a small percentage have given up on him. One really has to be a real special kind of 'stupid n' crazy' to stick with him through this. At this point, ffs there's no hope for them.

by Anonymousreply 501January 8, 2019 6:18 AM

Meanwhile....

“To have the First Black President ever to initiate holding our daughter, let alone kissing her on the forehead, has to be one of the most pivotal moments of any [parent’s] life,” Edwards told the website in a post published Monday.

“For our little girl to be in the hands of a man that is so influential, yet still so humble, and allowing her to experience something many will never get to experience is a blessing from God within itself,” she said. “It’s just one of those things that’s just indescribable.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502January 8, 2019 10:22 AM

“I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” federal prison employee Crystal Minton said of Mr. Trump. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503January 8, 2019 11:52 AM

"He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”

People who think like this are repellant and add nothing of value to our world. I've seen it on this site, too. Which is crazy, considering most here are LGBT and should know better.

by Anonymousreply 504January 8, 2019 12:00 PM

So have the networks allowed the democrats to rebut the liar in chief?

by Anonymousreply 505January 8, 2019 12:37 PM

[quote]I am stunned that most of the deplorables still support him and aren't budging.

Welcome to human nature.

by Anonymousreply 506January 8, 2019 12:40 PM

NBC will show Democratic response R505

by Anonymousreply 507January 8, 2019 12:40 PM

CNN and CBS showing dem response too

by Anonymousreply 508January 8, 2019 12:41 PM

Tee-Hee-Hee!

Trump supporter complains shutdown is 'not hurting the people he needs to be hurting'

A prison employee in Florida who voted for President Trump argued that Trump is to blame for the current government shutdown.

“I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” Crystal Minton told The New York Times in an article published Monday. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”

Minton's comments came as part of an expansive report from the newspaper on how the government shutdown, as well as a hurricane, have impacted a Florida town.

The Times notes that a federal prison in Marianna, Fla., lost much of its roof as a result of Hurricane Michael, which hit parts of the state last October. The damage caused hundreds of inmates to be relocated to a facility in Yazoo City, Miss.

Corrections officers from Florida have had to commute 400 miles to the site of the prison since then for two-week stints in their jobs. As of this week, the corrections officers are now doing so without being paid.

“You add a hurricane, and it’s just too much,” Mike Vinzant, a 32-year-old guard and the president of the local prison officers’ union, told the newspaper.

A partial government shutdown began on Dec. 22 after Democrats and Republicans failed to reach an agreement on a new Congressional spending bill.

Trump has asked that the bill include $5 billion for a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, which Democrats oppose.

The shutdown has impacted hundreds of thousands of federal workers around the nation. The Times noted that the federal prison in Marianna employed 300 people.

The newspaper additionally noted that Minton, a secretary, had previously obtained permission to postpone her job responsibilities in Mississippi until February. She is a single mother caring for disabled parents, The Times noted.

by Anonymousreply 509January 8, 2019 2:32 PM

"Nancy & Chuck" will deliver the Democrat response together.

by Anonymousreply 510January 8, 2019 2:44 PM

Ann Coulter Verified account @AnnCoulter

Today's BORDER WALL CONSTRUCTION UPDATE: Miles completed yesterday--Zero; Miles completed since Inauguration--Zero. NEXT UPDATE TOMORROW.

by Anonymousreply 511January 8, 2019 6:40 PM

[quote]“I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” federal prison employee Crystal Minton said of Mr. Trump. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”

Given where she works, she might just get to meet her hero up close and in person very soon!

by Anonymousreply 512January 8, 2019 7:07 PM

Ok, so who are these people who Trump “needs to be hurting”?

by Anonymousreply 513January 8, 2019 7:17 PM

So, does anyone else think that Trump was scared off from declaring a national emergency? You know he really wanted to do that. But, the press has been SO negative and everybody and every channel are calling him and his people liars.

by Anonymousreply 514January 8, 2019 9:29 PM

[quote]Ok, so who are these people who Trump “needs to be hurting”?

You can usually tell by the color of their skin.

by Anonymousreply 515January 8, 2019 10:41 PM

All the federal employees who are essential not optional and who have to work should be paid. I hope their lawsuit is successful and establishes a new rule going forward.

by Anonymousreply 516January 8, 2019 10:44 PM

R506 No, it's not human nature. Don't paint everyone with the same brush. It's not human nature to act like a deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 517January 9, 2019 1:49 AM

[quote] Ann Coulter Verified account @AnnCoulter Today's BORDER WALL CONSTRUCTION UPDATE: Miles completed yesterday--Zero; Miles completed since Inauguration--Zero. NEXT UPDATE TOMORROW.

I wish I knew an Asperger's deplorable who could be coaxed into @ing her every day, forever, asking what today's update is.

Because that wall is never going to be built, and I want her tormented with that fact nigh unto eternity.

by Anonymousreply 518January 9, 2019 2:08 AM

Ann trolls Trump better than any liberal could. He already unfollowed her; maybe he'll take the next step and block her when he can't stand it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 519January 9, 2019 2:17 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 520January 9, 2019 2:54 AM

oops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 521January 9, 2019 3:03 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522January 9, 2019 3:04 AM

[quote][R506] No, it's not human nature. Don't paint everyone with the same brush. It's not human nature to act like a deplorable

Yeah in fact it is human nature for people to act against their own rationally determined best interests for foolish and/or emotional reasons. You must have missed your stop at Vulcan.

by Anonymousreply 523January 9, 2019 3:56 AM

Every single thing he does is for his re election. He wants to say he built the wall, the got the troops home etc.

Can Mueller please hurry the fuck up?

by Anonymousreply 524January 9, 2019 4:17 AM

Ivanka looks like a gigantic insect.. a Disney version of an ant or grasshopper, or preying mantis.

And, of course, insect is an anagram for incest.

by Anonymousreply 525January 9, 2019 4:17 AM

Angels & Insects

by Anonymousreply 526January 9, 2019 4:34 AM

[quote]Because that wall is never going to be built, and I want her tormented with that fact nigh unto eternity.

Oh, she doesn't really give a shit about the wall. None of them do. It's symbolic for the war being fought in our country. Hard-line or liberal?

by Anonymousreply 527January 9, 2019 4:36 AM

Donate to your food banks - food stam/SNAP assistance will be ending this week if the shutdown goes on.

by Anonymousreply 528January 9, 2019 11:09 AM

[quote]country. Hard-line or liberal?

“Hard-line” lol.

Try neo-fascist.

by Anonymousreply 529January 9, 2019 11:54 AM

R526 ... I see what you did there 😉

by Anonymousreply 530January 9, 2019 12:05 PM

The morning missive:

Our Country is doing so well in so many ways. Great jobs numbers, with a record setting December. We are rebuilding our military. Vets finally have Choice & Accountability. Economy & GDP are strong. Tax & Reg cuts historic. Trade deals great. But we MUST fix our Southern Border!

Billions of dollars are sent to the State of California for Forrest fires that, with proper Forrest Management, would never happen. Unless they get their act together, which is unlikely, I have ordered FEMA to send no more money. It is a disgraceful situation in lives & money!

by Anonymousreply 531January 9, 2019 2:15 PM

USA Today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532January 9, 2019 2:36 PM

[quote] Billions of dollars are sent to the State of California for Forrest fires that, with proper Forrest Management, would never happen. Unless they get their act together, which is unlikely, I have ordered FEMA to send no more money. It is a disgraceful situation in lives & money!

Is there a mosquito in the room?

by Anonymousreply 533January 9, 2019 2:37 PM

YIKES!

Trump's speech was the Hollywood equivalent of a doomed remake: COLUMN--The president's speech mirrored rereleasing a movie nobody went to see.

The Hollywood equivalent of President Donald Trump's speech Tuesday night on immigration would be releasing a movie for the 12th time after it bombed at the box office a little over two months ago.

The president's speech from the Oval Office provided no new information for this debate we are in over the government shutdown and border security, did not expand the audience who would be receptive to the president's message and will not move a single swing voter in America or in Congress to the president's position.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534January 9, 2019 2:56 PM

I see he's already moved on to try to distract with the FEMA thing. Did Gavin insult him or something?

by Anonymousreply 535January 9, 2019 3:02 PM

The whole state gave Trump the finger in the midterm elections, R535.

by Anonymousreply 536January 9, 2019 3:04 PM

How do Republicans in California feel about this shit? There must be a few. Even some who were affected by the fires.

by Anonymousreply 537January 9, 2019 3:21 PM

R536 yeah but Trump's tweets come about because he gets mad about something he sees recently on TV.

by Anonymousreply 538January 9, 2019 3:31 PM

[quote]Did Gavin insult him or something?

I'd say it is more about Nancy Pelosi

by Anonymousreply 539January 9, 2019 3:35 PM

More about the election

by Anonymousreply 540January 9, 2019 3:37 PM

The election was months ago. Did anyone watch Fox and Friends this morning?

by Anonymousreply 541January 9, 2019 3:39 PM

[quote]How do Republicans in California feel about this shit?

Ain't no more -- they are all "Independents" now

by Anonymousreply 542January 9, 2019 3:46 PM

Trump wants to turn the handful of CA seats that are still Republican over to the Democrats, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 543January 9, 2019 3:50 PM

I guess the Dem response drew better ratings than Trump's actual speech. I bet he won't focus on that much.

by Anonymousreply 544January 9, 2019 4:05 PM

Louisiana's Ruby Slipper restaurants give free breakfast to unpaid workers as government shutdown drags on

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545January 9, 2019 4:58 PM

Have a list of DC area free stuff for govt employees?

by Anonymousreply 546January 9, 2019 6:28 PM

Shep Smith apparently eviscerated Trump's speech on FoxNews. How does he not get fired?

by Anonymousreply 547January 9, 2019 6:39 PM

Shep Smith and Chris Wallace have long been the people at the network who will challenge the Republican line. That's their role.

by Anonymousreply 548January 9, 2019 6:48 PM

Lisa Desjardins Verified account @LisaDNews

SCHUMER: The president slammed the table, asked Speaker Pelosi if she would support his wall and when she said no, he walked out and said "we have nothing to talk about".

by Anonymousreply 549January 9, 2019 7:46 PM

Republicans including Pence and Thune are lying their asses off about the meeting. Such bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 550January 9, 2019 7:53 PM

The Republican Party has been lying their ashes off with everything related to this shutdown r550. They are well aware the truth makes them look bad

Why this has become a crisis now when they had two years of complete control of the government is just a laugh.

by Anonymousreply 551January 9, 2019 7:56 PM

Apparently Mike Pence doesn't believe in The Ninth Commandment - Thou Shalt Not Lie.

by Anonymousreply 552January 9, 2019 7:58 PM

Trump passed out candy --- well clearly Trump is jealous of the relationship between George W. Bush and Michelle Obama.

by Anonymousreply 553January 9, 2019 8:00 PM

BREAKING NEWS- on abc, Trump storms out of white house meeting on shutdown!

by Anonymousreply 554January 9, 2019 8:03 PM

Theater....

by Anonymousreply 555January 9, 2019 8:05 PM

R554 This is probably the meeting in question: "Just left a meeting with Chuck and Nancy, a total waste of time. I asked what is going to happen in 30 days if I quickly open things up, are you going to approve Border Security which includes a Wall or Steel Barrier? Nancy said, NO. I said bye-bye, nothing else works!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556January 9, 2019 8:06 PM

A deplorable at work is claiming that this is all cheap theater, and all the Federal employees not getting paid just filed for unemployment so they're getting paid anyway. That's not true, is it?

by Anonymousreply 557January 9, 2019 8:06 PM

The furloughed can file for unemployment, but there is a waiting period and they get significant less money. If the government retroactively pays them, they need to pay it all back to their state.

For essential employees, they can’t file for unemployment because they are still required to work. They just don’t get paid until after the shutdown.

by Anonymousreply 558January 9, 2019 8:11 PM

Chuck and Nancy got higher ratings last night than Trump received. This is coming from the Rupert Murdoch New York Post. No wonder Trump is fuming today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559January 9, 2019 9:12 PM

It looks to me that Trump will not back down.

I predict that the Republicans in the Senate will continue to peal-away from supporting Trump/Mitch McConnell. At some point soon, rather than being overridden, Mitch will bring a bill to the Senate, where it will get more votes than are necessary to override a Presidential veto.

So, the Congress will simply ignore Trump, since Trump’s position is so unreasonable, and will reopen government without him.

by Anonymousreply 560January 9, 2019 9:25 PM

I’m listening to Trump’s noontime speech. He’s simply incoherent. He strings together a bunch of words and challenges the listener to create a narrative that likes all the buzzwords.

[quote] “Interestingly, if you look, virtually every Democrat over the last 15 years, they’ve approved what we’re asking for. So, I think we’re doing something, I think we’re getting closer, but we really have to think about the people of our country.”

Actually, no Democratic leader over the last 15 years had approved what he’s asking for. See R549 to show how he is not actually doing anything, and he is not getting closer.

[quote] “...We have to do what’s right at our border and many other places. But we have to do what is right at our border...a steel barrier or a concrete wall, something very powerful, it cannot stopped.”

What are these other places? How is a wall “powerful”? And it seems to be stopped right now.

by Anonymousreply 561January 9, 2019 9:45 PM

So, how do Pelosi and Schumer play this going forward? Do they break it off and make Trump come to them from now on, or do they keep going to the pointless meetings/photo-ops knowing Trump is just there to abuse them?

by Anonymousreply 562January 9, 2019 9:52 PM

Trump challenges a reporter to state whether or not he would sign the other spending bills if the reporter was in Trump‘s position.

Trump does this kind of thing often and this reporter was ok, but I wish that the next time, the reporter is more forceful. He could say something like “Are you going to answer the question?...you’re the President, not me. I have no influence on policy, you do...the people want to hear what you think, not me”...etc.

by Anonymousreply 563January 9, 2019 9:52 PM

Daily Beast's Sam Stein

Per source familiar:

Schumer: you’re using people as leverage. why won’t you open the government and stop hurting people?

POTUS: because then you won’t give me what I want

by Anonymousreply 564January 9, 2019 9:53 PM

He thinks he’s King. He’s incapable of governing. He is willing to only represent his base and to hell with everyone else. They better do something because he has no problem having the government remain shutdown indefinitely.

by Anonymousreply 565January 9, 2019 10:06 PM

Why can I post from my work PC and my phone, but not my home PC?? Dafuq

by Anonymousreply 566January 9, 2019 10:07 PM

Here’s what Nancy ought to say:

If the President is determined to hold the government and the people hostage to his expensive, impotent, wasteful, and pointless wall, then I think it’s time to consider an Amendment 25 remedy.

by Anonymousreply 567January 9, 2019 10:11 PM

What Nancy did say:

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says President Trump doesn't understand financial insecurity that federal workers face during the shutdown: "He thinks maybe they could just ask their father for more money. But they can’t."

by Anonymousreply 568January 9, 2019 10:14 PM

Garage Sale!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569January 9, 2019 10:18 PM

The Hill:

House votes to reopen Treasury Dept., IRS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570January 9, 2019 10:22 PM

I just keep picturing my dream of McConnel being shot in the throat. No, I didn't shoot him in my dream, I don't know who did. It was just a nice, lifelike dream, he was shot and there was blood and then he grabbed his throat.

It seems like I was very gleeful in my dream.

by Anonymousreply 571January 9, 2019 10:51 PM

I was flipping by Fox News and heard some douche actually claim that the longer the shutdown goes on, the more leverage and public support Trump will have! They must really be freaking over Trump's embarrassing "urgent" public address last night.

by Anonymousreply 572January 9, 2019 10:58 PM

[quote]I was flipping by Fox News and heard some douche actually claim that the longer the shutdown goes on, the more leverage and public support Trump will have!

There are those who do believe that. They believe that the public will grow tired of this and just say that it is only $5B. Just give it to him and open the government.

by Anonymousreply 573January 9, 2019 11:09 PM

[Quote]They believe that the public will grow tired of this and just say that it is only $5B. Just give it to him and open the government.

In the big scheme of things, relatively speaking, it is a somewhat manageable sum, the cost of the shutdown has probably surpassed that amount. The problem is Trump is like a dumb, mean pup and this would just reinforce his behavior and his mindset he can do whatever he wants and ignore any procedure or safeguard that gets in his way. You think by this point, Mitch would realize it would help him if Trump lost and was forced to deal with the fact that he cannot do whatever he wants. The longer you let a spoiled toddler get whatever he wants by pitching a fit, the harder it is to get him under control later down the road.

by Anonymousreply 574January 9, 2019 11:22 PM

The United States does not negotiate with terrorists.

by Anonymousreply 575January 9, 2019 11:25 PM

But it’s really not $5 billion. It’s $200 billion to $2 trillion. In situations like this, you have to put your foot down from the beginning, because these projects start to take on a life of their own. Certain people become vested in the project, etc.

by Anonymousreply 576January 9, 2019 11:26 PM

R552 Gasp. What would Mother Pence say if she knew?

R554 When I glanced at your "Breaking News" comment at first I didn't see the word 'meeting' and got all crazy excited there for a few seconds.

by Anonymousreply 577January 9, 2019 11:26 PM

we are massing at the rethug senator's office tomorrow to tell him to override the dotard's veto. They have the votes but they don't have the balks.

If you're sick of this sham, call mcturtle and your GOP senators and tell them to end this bullshit. I did.

by Anonymousreply 578January 9, 2019 11:27 PM

DC Water board debates whether they can cut off White House service after Trump admin misses payment

. . .

[quote]WAMU noted that DC law allows the water authority to “shut off water to a customer for nonpayment after 30 days” and place a lien on the property until a full payment is completed after 60 days.

more at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 579January 10, 2019 12:57 AM

@knownasbake

If the government is shut down, can I walk into Area 51?

by Anonymousreply 580January 10, 2019 12:59 AM

I’m reminded about the time the Republicans shutdown the government, and then Michelle Bachman (R) and a few other Republican Congresspeople went down to the Vietnam Memorial and ginned-up a few ancient veterans to break through the barrier there. Chutzpah!

by Anonymousreply 581January 10, 2019 1:05 AM

We are closing in on 600 so a new thread has been started to continue discussion of this disaster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 582January 10, 2019 1:08 AM

^^^ OP

by Anonymousreply 583January 10, 2019 1:09 AM

[quote]I’m reminded about the time the Republicans shutdown the government, and then Michelle Bachman (R) and a few other Republican Congresspeople went down to the Vietnam Memorial and ginned-up a few ancient veterans to break through the barrier there.

And, I remember, (and will never forget--especially Michelle Bachmann), how giddy with joy the Republicans were when they shut the government down under President Obama. But, the Obama Administration was ready for them! Basically, if you're going to shut it down, we're going to shut it down! If you lived on federal lands--GET OUT! All memorials were immediately shut down--SORRY! On and on. Republicans were frighteningly SHOCKED by the veracious way and swiftness that the Administration brought everything to a halt and turned the table on them.

by Anonymousreply 584January 10, 2019 1:35 AM

[quote] I just keep picturing my dream of McConnel being shot in the throat. No, I didn't shoot him in my dream, I don't know who did. It was just a nice, lifelike dream, he was shot and there was blood and then he grabbed his throat.

Well you are supposed to aim for the largest section of your target when firing a gun. Usually that's the torso but on McTurtle...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 585January 10, 2019 5:00 AM

Can you guys can it with the shooting talk. Saying it was a dream isn't helping or cute.

by Anonymousreply 586January 10, 2019 12:20 PM

Trump is a cruel man. Witnessing what he does is heartbreaking, frightening and infuriating.

by Anonymousreply 587January 10, 2019 12:33 PM

I'd say the cruelty are those who are allowing him to get away with this.

by Anonymousreply 588January 10, 2019 12:35 PM

You’re right r588 — everyone knows trump is an idiot. And I do mean everyone (at least everyone with enough of a brain to get elected to office or appointed to a position).

The rightwing’s extremist agenda is all that matters, apparently. Just look at womb botherer SmellyAnne. She will lie all day and night and shill for a creepy buffoon — as long as that means that women are denied reproductive autonomy.

by Anonymousreply 589January 10, 2019 12:44 PM

Why is Trump wearing a "Make America Great Again" on the White House grounds?

OHHHHH WOW! Is he backing off of his claims! "When I said Mexico was going to pay for the wall I never said that they were going to write out a check...."

by Anonymousreply 590January 10, 2019 2:01 PM

Reuters:

In Texas border town, skepticism ahead of Trump visit to push wall

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591January 10, 2019 2:13 PM

How do we think this is going to end? Dump does not like he’ll give in. I think it will get so bad that Congress will pass a budget bill with McConnell bringing it to the floor. Dump will then either do nothing or veto it. If he vetoes it, the Senate will override his veto and he’ll be done. I hope this is what happens.

by Anonymousreply 592January 10, 2019 2:48 PM

^Dump does not look like he’ll give in.

by Anonymousreply 593January 10, 2019 2:49 PM

@ABC7

FDA says routine food inspections can't be done due to partial government shutdown

by Anonymousreply 594January 10, 2019 2:55 PM

He is too immature to back down, I'm afraid. This will not end well.

by Anonymousreply 595January 10, 2019 3:09 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596January 10, 2019 3:35 PM

Any guesses as to how long before air travel becomes hazardous, then impossible?

by Anonymousreply 597January 10, 2019 3:39 PM

The Fuhrer's latest tweet:

President Obama, thank you for your great support – I have been saying this all along!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 598January 10, 2019 3:56 PM

Trump's earlier press mess

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 599January 10, 2019 4:23 PM

Part 2 thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600January 10, 2019 4:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!