Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is there a correlation between a gay man’s income/wealth and coming out of the closet at a later age?

I’m 26 and sometimes I wondered how my life would have turned out if I’d played straight as a teenager and through college. I grew up in a small Tennessee town and was out of the closet by 14. I went to college and earned my bachelor’s degree in Finance, but my earnings (on top of student debt I’m currently paying down proactively) aren’t translating into gainful employment.

My partner didn’t come out until he was 27. He had a wife and was a lawyer at a high powered firm. He essentially established himself before moving into the gay world.

Should I have done what he did?

by Anonymousreply 26December 22, 2018 3:28 AM

Totally unrelated but I'm starting to realize why the gay community thinks women don't like sex. Because of all the gay men who had wives and the wives never had a clue the sex lacked the spark.

by Anonymousreply 1December 21, 2018 2:23 AM

but my earnings .... aren’t translating into gainful employment.

by Anonymousreply 2December 21, 2018 2:27 AM

Interesting never thought about it.

by Anonymousreply 3December 21, 2018 2:33 AM

He is 27 and divorced? Who is getting married that young these days?

by Anonymousreply 4December 21, 2018 2:38 AM

Several surveys prove that most out LGBT people make significantly less money than their straight coworkers in the same jobs. We're also passed over for raises and promotions. "But I have a family!" is the excuse str8s use to give themselves more money.

Other surveys now claim the opposite, but I think it's biased, based on old surveys in "upscale" rags like Instinct.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 21, 2018 2:42 AM

Differing stats in this articles; lesbians make more!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 21, 2018 2:43 AM

This focuses on a few people who spent more with the 'gay lifestyle', plus long-term financial differences:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 21, 2018 2:44 AM

What r2 said. I read that sentence several times and it makes no sense.

I think we identified the reason you are struggling...

by Anonymousreply 8December 21, 2018 2:45 AM

This is a great question, Op. All the men I know who came out late in life (aged 30 onward) are professionals like doctors, lawyers, company executives, etc

by Anonymousreply 9December 21, 2018 2:47 AM

Should you have gotten a wife and perhaps have been paying child support to a kid you'll hardly ever see?

Gee, I don't know...

by Anonymousreply 10December 21, 2018 2:51 AM

Datalounge please validate my self loathing.

by Anonymousreply 11December 21, 2018 2:52 AM

If your partner came out at 27, he was not "established" - at least not professionally. A 27 year old is a 3d year associate getting no sleep (at least at a big law firm) and having no life. So no point in comparing yourself to that.

by Anonymousreply 12December 21, 2018 2:52 AM

Rich guys fear they're have more to lose if they come out

by Anonymousreply 13December 21, 2018 2:54 AM

You should ask his ex-wife how she feels about about him living a lie.

by Anonymousreply 14December 21, 2018 2:54 AM

Really? You even have to ask?

by Anonymousreply 15December 21, 2018 2:55 AM

Professionals may go further if they are “one of the guys” rather than coming out as gay

by Anonymousreply 16December 21, 2018 2:56 AM

You failed up 1 step on the ladder. This is a recipe for permanent unhappiness. You don't really have what it takes to succeed as a professional. In fact you were born to be a sassy shop bottom and content in your modest lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 17December 21, 2018 2:57 AM

I know a lot of wealthy gay guys.

by Anonymousreply 18December 21, 2018 2:59 AM

I make $30 million a year and I'm in the closet! I guess that proves your point!

by Anonymousreply 19December 21, 2018 2:59 AM

R12 is correct. You guys are in your mid twenties. Neither of you are "established", you are at the beginning of your career.

by Anonymousreply 20December 21, 2018 3:03 AM

don't think it's about money. who is afraid of fear, and who can overcome it?

by Anonymousreply 21December 21, 2018 3:04 AM

OP, your question is too general.

I have found that many of my associates aged 55 and older are not tolerant or accepting and I think are privately likely to discriminate. Maybe that’s different for younger guys, I don’t know. In most cases, you will never know if you’ve been discriminated against - in pay raises, job assignments, training, and opportunity. You will not know.

There are a lot of degrees of “outness”. My advice is to be as “out” as you need to be, but beyond that, be conservative. Context matters, too. A hair stylist may flame away. A programmer is mostly free to express themselves. An Engineer might want to dial it way back. A finance guy may need to dial it all the way back. This is assuming you care about money and your career, vs. freedom of self expression.

If you’ve got a winning personality, or rare and extraordinary skills, then you have more options, too.

by Anonymousreply 22December 21, 2018 7:44 PM

I started very young in the insurance business and I have been very successful. I am 65 (been in business 41 years) but only came out to trusted friends and family. I never wanted to come out because of how it would affect my agency. My father would have disowned me if I had come out while he was alive so that added to my issues. I have just decided that being single will be how it will be. I also worry about my inexperience in dating and the fact that I could probably be taken advantage of due to my financial standing. Wish things were different but I accept where I am at.

by Anonymousreply 23December 22, 2018 1:26 AM

R11 NAILS IT. Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 24December 22, 2018 1:33 AM

R23, find someone of similar financial standing.

by Anonymousreply 25December 22, 2018 2:13 AM

OP, no, you should not have stayed in the closet and married a woman. That sounds like a really shitty and stressful way to live (closeted man, married to a woman). You're still young. I really would not waste any more time wondering about this.

by Anonymousreply 26December 22, 2018 3:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!