Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mueller wins mystery subpoena in Sealed v Sealed. Who the foreign company is he won't say. Your guess?

A federal appeals court on Tuesday ordered a mystery corporation owned by a foreign country to comply with a subpoena that appears to be from special counsel Robert Mueller.

The three-page opinion released by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit is the latest twist in an opaque dispute that POLITICO and other media outlets have tied to Mueller’s probe into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

The ruling offers the intriguing detail that the entity fighting the Mueller subpoena is a foreign government-owned company, not a specific individual, as many experts had speculated.

But the ruling also still leaves many important aspects of the fight shielded from public view, including the kind of work done by the company, the name of the country that owns the firm and just what information is being sought. The order also offers no direct confirmation that the matter involves Mueller’s team.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 1, 2019 3:39 AM

The candidates most mentioned so far are Deutsche Bank or Fusion GPS

by Anonymousreply 1December 19, 2018 4:09 PM

It would almost have to be a Russian company, given how many companies Putin basically steals from their owners.

by Anonymousreply 2December 19, 2018 4:09 PM

The endlessly sexy Julian Epstein was on with Ari Melber last night and he believes it's China or Russia, but he is leaning towards China. Julian rose to prominence during the Clinton impeachment, as Chief Democratic Counsel to the House Judiciary Committee. He was gorgeous back then. Used to work for Conyers who was ranking member as I recall. He has a brilliant mind, great legal scholar and tough Democratic strategist. He ought to be rich and famous by now.

by Anonymousreply 3December 19, 2018 4:10 PM

Gazprom Oil. Wasn't there a rumor that Putin gave Trump a shit ton of stock in the company?

by Anonymousreply 4December 19, 2018 4:13 PM

On Twitter, some are saying that this is probably a company in the Cayman Islands that's mentioned in the Steele dossier, which is funded by Russia via Rosneft.

A couple years ago we were hearing stories that Carter Page met with Rosneft to speak to them on behalf of Trump.

[quote]"Sechin's associate said that the Rosneft president was so keen to lift personal and corporate western sanctions imposed on the company, that he offered Page and his associates the brokerage of up to a 19 per cent (privatised) stake in Rosneft," the dossier said. "In return, Page had expressed interest and confirmed that were Trump elected US president, then sanctions on Russia would be lifted."

by Anonymousreply 5December 19, 2018 4:13 PM

Deutsche Bank

by Anonymousreply 6December 19, 2018 4:13 PM

They're privately owned, not government owned r6, otherwise I'd agree.

by Anonymousreply 7December 19, 2018 4:14 PM

DL!!!!! WE solved a murder!!!!! We can solve this too.

by Anonymousreply 8December 19, 2018 4:14 PM

That was Gazprom r5.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 19, 2018 4:18 PM

And several executives have apartments in Trump Tower.

by Anonymousreply 10December 19, 2018 4:22 PM

Rosneft and Gazprom are both Putin creations and owned by the Kremlin.

[quote]When Russian President Vladimir Putin began consolidating power in the early to mid-2000s, he also consolidated his country's energy sector. Putin oversaw the creation of two mega-energy firms — Rosneft for oil and Gazprom for natural gas — as well as a handful of regional firms. And since their inception, Rosneft and Gazprom have been the Kremlin's crown jewels, making up about half of the Russian government's budget and 25 percent of the country's gross domestic product (GDP) during years of high energy prices.

[quote]Rosneft and Gazprom remain Russia's most strategic assets, even as revenues have declined following the fall of oil prices in mid-2014. But the shrinking revenue pie has left various Kremlin elites scrambling to secure the biggest slice they can get.

by Anonymousreply 11December 19, 2018 4:24 PM

Whatever company it is, this must be some lynchpin and/or damning shit, as the Justice Department moved incredibly quickly on it.

Follow the money...

by Anonymousreply 12December 19, 2018 4:41 PM

If Trump did the spur-of-the-moment withdrawal from Syria to distract from THIS, then yeah, it's huge. But that's a big IF. It could be that he just wants to get out of Syria now before a Democratic House could interfere with his promise to Putin.

by Anonymousreply 13December 19, 2018 5:07 PM

trump is so fucking fucked. Do you think he knows it or is he that fucking arrogant that he thinks he will get away with his corruption?

by Anonymousreply 14December 19, 2018 5:19 PM

What happens if a foreign corporation refuses to comply with a subpoena?

by Anonymousreply 15December 19, 2018 5:22 PM

they were apparently being fined $5k a day if they did not comply.

Could this be Alfa Bank? Or Bank of Cyprus? Weirdly, I think this might be connected to the Saudis.

The only reason I say the Saudis is be aide Ms sex on a stick Ahmed was at the court house for the filing and iirc she works terrorism cases and speaks Arabic. I could be out on Mars, tho.

Mueller seems to be coming at this from all angles

by Anonymousreply 16December 19, 2018 5:56 PM

R15 r16 Can they enforce the fine? Maybe 5k is small potatoes and can be put in the ledger as cost of doing business with the USA. Maybe worth that to avoid the subpoena.

by Anonymousreply 17December 20, 2018 11:01 PM

[quote]The endlessly sexy Julian Epstein

I am not a fan of his eyebrows.

[quote]trump is so fucking fucked. Do you think he knows it or is he that fucking arrogant that he thinks he will get away with his corruption?

See link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 20, 2018 11:22 PM

I guess Cambridge Analytica doesn’t exist anymore, so it can’t be that one

by Anonymousreply 19December 20, 2018 11:34 PM

Fusion gps already testified in congress. I don’t aee why they’d need to be subpoenaed

by Anonymousreply 20December 20, 2018 11:35 PM

More on the mystery subpoena: the company, still not named, has asked SCOTUS to step in!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 23, 2018 2:39 AM

No matter where Mueller looks, with Trump there will be criminality...

by Anonymousreply 22December 23, 2018 2:47 AM

Isn't it AMI?

by Anonymousreply 23December 23, 2018 2:47 AM

The Saudis own a ton of companies that operate in the US under the radar. I don't think it's a bank, I think it's tied to them or the Emiratis.

by Anonymousreply 24December 23, 2018 2:51 AM

Central Bank of Seychelles.

by Anonymousreply 25December 23, 2018 3:24 AM

Definitely a bank.

by Anonymousreply 26December 23, 2018 3:54 AM

Extremely juicy.

by Anonymousreply 27December 23, 2018 4:10 AM

Sooooo. The SC put a hold to see if they should step in. At the request of the unknown party. The SC has never worked with a fully sealed case.

by Anonymousreply 28December 24, 2018 4:42 AM

Eurasian Credit Trust

by Anonymousreply 29December 24, 2018 4:53 AM

It's owned by a foreign sovereign. Deutsch Bank was my first guess until I realized that Germany doesn't own it.

by Anonymousreply 30December 24, 2018 4:56 AM

R28

Really interesting twist here.

Some major players must be involved.

by Anonymousreply 31December 24, 2018 5:05 AM

If the decision from the Supreme Court comes back 5/4 along party lines, we are fucked because the criminal getting to pick his own judges plan will have worked.

by Anonymousreply 32December 24, 2018 8:01 AM

Yup. The SC will stamp anything and everything he does.

by Anonymousreply 33December 24, 2018 8:05 AM

R32, that was probably part of the plan.

by Anonymousreply 34December 24, 2018 8:07 AM

I asked in another thread but maybe it's better to ask here...

If they do rule, will they have to write a public opinion? They need to be held accountable for their actions, especially if it's a 5/4 split.

by Anonymousreply 35December 25, 2018 12:06 AM

Good point r35. They can't seal SC rulings can they? If they do how will we know the law of the land that governs us?

by Anonymousreply 36December 25, 2018 12:13 AM

According to Kavanaugh’s writings, presidents shouldn’t have to deal with being personally investigated

by Anonymousreply 37December 25, 2018 12:33 AM

I wish someone had asked Kavanaugh if his views on a president not being investigated or indicted covered Trump if he killed one of Kavanaugh's kids. The stance simply makes no logical or legal sense.

by Anonymousreply 38December 25, 2018 10:38 PM

Any updates on the temporary ruling Roberts made so it could go before the entire Court? Are they waiting for Ginsburg to come back or just recessed until the New Year?

by Anonymousreply 39December 28, 2018 5:44 PM

by Anonymousreply 40December 30, 2018 5:55 AM

Hang in there, Ruthie!

by Anonymousreply 41December 30, 2018 1:44 PM

My prediction on this one is 7-2 in favor of giving Mueller his way. Roberts, Kavanaugh, and Alito will go with the Liberals. Only Gorsuch and Thomas will not. Of course I could be wrong. It may break 6-3 with Alito siding with the minority. But I'm tellin' you, Roberts is going to replace Kennedy as the swing vote in a lot of these cases.

by Anonymousreply 42January 1, 2019 3:18 AM

A bank or ROSNEFT is a good guess.

by Anonymousreply 43January 1, 2019 3:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!