Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

FOX 2 Meteorologist Jessica Starr Commits Suicide By ‘Hanging,’

The FOX 2 Detroit newsroom was turned upside down when one of their staffers committed suicide Opens a New Window. .

RadarOnline.com has exclusively learned 35-year-old meteorologist, Jessica Starr Opens a New Window. , killed herself by “hanging” on Wednesday night.

According to the Oakland Medical Examiner, Starr’s “cause of death is hanging and manner of death by suicide.”

“My colleague went out there last night, it was just a gruesome scene,” a spokesperson for the medical examiner told Radar. “It’s just very sad.”

As Radar previously reported, her distraught coworkers were the first to share the news.

“Our hearts are broken. Last night we were informed our Jessica Starr took her life,” Morning anchor Amy Andrews wrote on Twitter along with a photo she shared of her with Starr. “Her Fox 2 family is in deep shock and cannot believe such a wonderful, bright and intelligent woman is gone. Keep her family in your prayers in the coming days as we all deal with our grief.”

Another Fox 2 staffer, Roop Raj, echoed her sentiment. “I send my deepest sympathies to her family. Our hometown girl will always be remembered fondly,” he tweeted.

The Michigan native had been recovering from Lasik eye surgery since October and took to social media in the last few months to reveal that the recovery process was painful.

On her Facebook page on November 13, she posted a video admitting that she was “struggling a little bit” after taking four weeks off post-surgery.

Asking viewers advice, she reported blurred vision and said she was “trying to stay strong.”

Starr is survived by her two young children and husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89December 14, 2018 2:22 PM

Who gets her kidneys?

by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2018 10:07 PM

I've never understood why, if you're depressed or desperate enough to kill yourself, why you'd choose such a painful way of doing it.

You must really hate yourself and want to punish yourself to choose this method of suicide.

I feel sorry for anyone who hates himself that much.

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2018 10:09 PM

Is lasik that dangerous?

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2018 10:10 PM

Opens a New Window

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2018 10:10 PM

Jessica Starr sounds like a stripper name.

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2018 10:18 PM

A little compassion for a suffering person would be a nice change here.

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2018 10:21 PM

I think everyone has been compassionate (so far). No one has asked for her things or said “Jessica Starr is dead to me.” Not bad the the DL!

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2018 10:23 PM

[R3] shit. thats what im thinking right now. ive been wanting to get it for the longest time but just a money issue at the moment. I have a friend who got it and said it went fine. as for her, this suicide has to have been pre meditated and not just a result of lasik. odd

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2018 10:23 PM

OPEN A NEW WINDOW

OPEN A NEW DOOR

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2018 10:27 PM

Good point, R7.

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2018 10:27 PM

Probably a failed romance. Many years ago, we had a super popular weather guy here who was going through a difficult divorce. He was a licensed pilot and one afternoon took his plane up and nose dived it at full speed right into the ground.

by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2018 10:33 PM

Isn't living in Detroit reason enough to take one's own life?

by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2018 10:39 PM

[quote]A little compassion for a suffering person would be a nice change here.

Well, she's not suffering anymore

by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2018 10:41 PM

This is my local news station and it's truly a loss. I feel horrible for her young children and husband.

by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2018 10:47 PM

I don't under the "Opens A New Window" thing. Was that part of her name? A big typo? What IS that?

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2018 10:50 PM

She had LASIK and it sounds like she had complications and shitty vision after. I would guess she had depression for awhile but the thought of losing her site or having terrible vision that couldn’t be fixed was the real driver for this.

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2018 10:55 PM

[quote]losing her site

Oh DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2018 11:14 PM

did she lose her burial site?

by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2018 11:17 PM

Her website?

by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2018 11:18 PM

Hanging seems effective if you are really serious about killing yourself. It's probably painful for a little while but it gets the job done.

by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2018 11:22 PM

I’d just go to another eye dr, for Christ’s sake, rather than hang myself

by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2018 11:29 PM

When one window opens another one slams shut usually on your fingers.

by Anonymousreply 22December 13, 2018 11:38 PM

Umm..lasik? DL physicians! Is this true?

[quote] A little compassion for a suffering person would be a nice change here.

Honey, when living people are on DL asking for help and compassion, we are troopers; we condole and cajole. This one is gone already.

by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2018 11:40 PM

This is why I never got lasik, I always feared that I'd be worst off after it with my terrible luck. I'd rather stick with eyeglasses/contacts and not roll the dice.

by Anonymousreply 24December 13, 2018 11:45 PM

I am just imagining or was there some big celeb who had a major problem with Lasik?

by Anonymousreply 25December 13, 2018 11:47 PM

All unnecessary surgeries should be avoided.

There is no such thing as a “risk-free” surgery.

Someone should tell the Ts that.

by Anonymousreply 26December 13, 2018 11:47 PM

just another fox asshole

by Anonymousreply 27December 13, 2018 11:48 PM

Who would think that having a fucking laser shooting right in your eyes would be dangerous?

by Anonymousreply 28December 13, 2018 11:48 PM

Very sad, especially for her children. I have a hunch that the Fox TV station was ready to replace her with a younger woman. There’s more to this than meets the eye, no pun intended.

by Anonymousreply 29December 13, 2018 11:48 PM

If you hadn't written "no pun intended," you'd have at least 100 "wit and wisdoms" by now.

by Anonymousreply 30December 13, 2018 11:52 PM

[quote] just another fox asshole

Fox is different from Fox News. She was a meteorologist for a local Fox station, not for Fox News.

by Anonymousreply 31December 13, 2018 11:53 PM

[quote] RadarOnline.com has exclusively learned 35-year-old meteorologist, Jessica Starr Opens a New Window. , killed herself by “hanging” on Wednesday night.

I'd probably kill myself, too, if I had a name like Jessica Starr Opens a New Window. I'll bet she was teased a lot as a child ("Hey, Jessica, it's too warm in here. Could you Open a New Window? Ha, ha ha!").

by Anonymousreply 32December 13, 2018 11:55 PM

Candy ass.

by Anonymousreply 33December 13, 2018 11:56 PM

[quote]A little compassion for a suffering person would be a nice change here.

Punkin, you need to go back outside and read the fucking sign over the door.

by Anonymousreply 34December 13, 2018 11:56 PM

[quote]I am just imagining or was there some big celeb who had a major problem with Lasik?

Kathy Griffin. She went full-on drama queen, going on Entertainment Tonight, tearfully claiming she was going blind.

by Anonymousreply 35December 14, 2018 12:00 AM

[quote] There is no such thing as a “risk-free” surgery.

Including our resident Gastric Sleeve Queen.

by Anonymousreply 36December 14, 2018 12:01 AM

R6 Pointless Bitchery. It's on the fucking homepage. If you want tea and sympathy decamp elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 37December 14, 2018 12:03 AM

If I worked for Fox News I would have hanged myself as well. The way they push Trump is beyond me.Hopes and prayers go out to the families.

by Anonymousreply 38December 14, 2018 12:03 AM

R38 She worked for a Fox affiliate station, not Fox News. Fuck. Did mention of Lasik bring all the legally blind people to the thread or just the idiots you struggle with reading comprehension?

by Anonymousreply 39December 14, 2018 12:06 AM

She was a meteorologist, floating above the political fray like a cloud.

by Anonymousreply 40December 14, 2018 12:09 AM

That's right, it was her. Thanks, R35.

by Anonymousreply 41December 14, 2018 12:09 AM

I heard the operation was performed in an office above a subway train while the train was passing through and the vibration carved the wrong pattern in her eyes

by Anonymousreply 42December 14, 2018 12:20 AM

R39 You have reading comprehension issues. The post undertitle addresses the Fox/Fox News issue. You really need to chill.

by Anonymousreply 43December 14, 2018 12:21 AM

The poor soul was going through a long period of pain, couldn't take it anymore and killed herself. So sad -if only she had waited or talked to someone. Much sympathy to her children, husband, and loved ones.

by Anonymousreply 44December 14, 2018 12:26 AM

If having horrible vision could cause someone to get depressed enough to commit suicide I'd have blown my brains out many years ago.

by Anonymousreply 45December 14, 2018 12:34 AM

What was on her iPod?

by Anonymousreply 46December 14, 2018 12:36 AM

Everyone has different stress points, R45. Betcha some things she took in her stride would have left you trembling in bed.

by Anonymousreply 47December 14, 2018 12:37 AM

R45 When your dealing with one of the major senses like sight or hearing, it's a big thing. Especially as this surgery isn't reversible.

by Anonymousreply 48December 14, 2018 12:40 AM

[quote]What was on her iPod?

Bette Davis Eyes (for realz)

A Little Death Around the Eyes

Close Your Eyes

Eyes Wide Shut

Fix My Eyes

Staring Through the Eyes of the Dead

Terminal Eyes

by Anonymousreply 49December 14, 2018 12:46 AM

Years back, a news anchor in the Twin Cities (Pat Miles) had the same thing happen to her - fucked up eye surgery. She was unable to work and suffered through repeated surgeries attempting to fix the damage. Couldn't be done. Had to retire from broadcasting. So yeah - a medical procedure advertised as quick, easy, painless and safe can sometimes go terribly wrong and ruin your life.

by Anonymousreply 50December 14, 2018 12:46 AM

Isn't there a surgery which has superseded LASIK?

by Anonymousreply 51December 14, 2018 12:50 AM

My mother was a difficult, stubborn woman. She was ranting in her 70s about how she wanted lasik. I told her not to do it because I knew of several patients who didn’t see well afterwards, especially at night. Do not waste your money, I said, because you’re still going to need glasses since you wear bifocals. You’ll need glasses to see things closer to you, like for reading. She went and had it done down in FL and told me she had cataract surgery on both her eyes. When she came up here that summer, we took her to get new glasses. She spent $800 on new glasses and who knows how much on her “cataract” surgery and was very unhappy & did nothing but complain. “I hate these glasses! I can’t see!”

I said to her, “Good thing you didn’t get Lasik, isn’t it?” knowing full well she did.

by Anonymousreply 52December 14, 2018 1:24 AM

If your sight is bad enough, you won’t be able to drive. She has two young kids and a job and she lives in Michigan, not NYC, so getting around without driving would be hell. I have terrible vision and the thought of not being able to drive or read terrifies me.

by Anonymousreply 53December 14, 2018 1:37 AM

I was terrified of getting lasik but I finally got sick of crushing my glasses. I only had one eye done since my other eye was perfect for close vision.

But it can be annoying to get used to. You have to give it a few days.

by Anonymousreply 54December 14, 2018 1:39 AM

She’s no longer in pain.

by Anonymousreply 55December 14, 2018 1:46 AM

No offense, but the LASIK doesn’t seem to be a complete explanation.

Speaking of which, is “tragically and unexpectedly passed away” or “sudden” a euphemism for suicide? A tween kid in our community just died, and both terms were used in notifying schoolmates. I hate to think that a middle school child would kill themselves. But kids don’t usually die of massive coronaries, and I think if it was something like an aneurysm or meningitis, they’d have said. The guidance counselor also said that the parents “are entitled to their privacy” when kids asked.

Regardless, that’s just SAD. You just don’t DO that when you have kids.

by Anonymousreply 56December 14, 2018 2:02 AM

[quote]is “tragically and unexpectedly passed away” or “sudden” a euphemism for suicide?

Opioid overdose.

by Anonymousreply 57December 14, 2018 2:06 AM

[quote]Including our resident Gastric Sleeve Queen.

Gastric sleeve is for people who are going to die anyway without it.

by Anonymousreply 58December 14, 2018 2:09 AM

R58, there's a guy with a thread who's only 30lbs overweight who wants to get one in Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 59December 14, 2018 2:10 AM

[quote]Isn't there a surgery which has superseded LASIK?

Lasik makes little laser cuts in the surface of the cornea to correct vision. Changes the angle that light hits the retina, I think. Another method that's more common and, I think, more reliable now is to use a laser to shave the top of the cornea off, making a flattened surface for 20/20 vision. It's called PRK or PPK or something. It is less iffy than Lasik but takes longer to heal from. Takes about a month before the blurry vision goes away. So it actually sounds like she may have had that kind of vision correction. In which case her healing time may have been longer than average but she could still have potentially healed to have 20/20 vision. The fact that she'd made a few posts about being discouraged that the recovery time was going slow might be totally unrelated to her suicide, and just the media grasping at straws for an explanation.

I mean, if it was a botched eye surgery and she was faced with a lifetime of being legally blind, unable to drive or work or clearly see her children's faces or read a book ever again---that is devastating and terrifying and I can see how that would precipitate a depression. But she also could have had mental illness, a bad marriage, feared she was about to lose her job, or any number of things going on.

by Anonymousreply 60December 14, 2018 2:23 AM

Horrible. I haven’t been all the way there but there’s been a few times in life where I wished I could be in a coma for about 3 months. I would try to calculate how I could crash a car or otherwise almost die but not. I knew my problems would be there when I woke up, along with even more problems after not working for months, but in my mind I just wanted a break. Just a few months of sleep and escaping from reality.

by Anonymousreply 61December 14, 2018 2:41 AM

Sadly, because she committed suicide, she will not be able to enter the kingdom of heaven.

by Anonymousreply 62December 14, 2018 2:55 AM

Did anyone else think of the OCR of Mame after reading the first line of the online article?

by Anonymousreply 63December 14, 2018 3:08 AM

r53 Now she REALLY can't drive. What a great solution!

by Anonymousreply 64December 14, 2018 3:37 AM

Hanging is supposed to be one of the fastest and least painful ways to go

by Anonymousreply 65December 14, 2018 3:58 AM

Women very, very rarely kill themselves by hanging. I wonder if a different story involving a bad marriage and violent or cheating husband will come out at some point. We'll see.

by Anonymousreply 66December 14, 2018 4:18 AM

Razors pain you;

Rivers are damp;

Acids stain you;

And drugs cause cramp.

Guns aren’t lawful;

Nooses give;

Gas smells awful;

You might as well live.

by Anonymousreply 67December 14, 2018 4:24 AM

I had to skim this story two and a half times before I understood that she didn't climb out a new window in her station building to hang herself.

by Anonymousreply 68December 14, 2018 4:48 AM

[quote]Women very, very rarely kill themselves by hanging.

Came in here to say the same thing. I’m giving the husband the side-eye.

by Anonymousreply 69December 14, 2018 4:48 AM

Bitch only opened a new gate — STRAIGHT TO HELL!

by Anonymousreply 70December 14, 2018 4:56 AM

r66 and r69 very rarely doesn't mean never. She was depressed and had a lot of time on her hands, why don't you think she did this? Jesus, this is how rumors on webfraus start. People who work in tv are pretty narsy to begin with, I can imagine she would be despondent about losing her sight, never mind that she has two fucking kids who need her.

by Anonymousreply 71December 14, 2018 5:09 AM

[quote]Hanging seems effective if you are really serious about killing yourself. It's probably painful for a little while but it gets the job done.

If I remember right, Bourdain and/or Spade took drugs to knock themselves out and let the noose finished them off. Seems like a decent way to go if you're going to commit suicide.

by Anonymousreply 72December 14, 2018 5:11 AM

I feel your pain R61, been in the same position myself a few times. I've never wanted to end it all, just have a break from all the pressure and not have to face reality. I feel a little bit that way now actually. Though rather than injure myself this time I'd like to run away and hide in the middle of a forest somewhere with no one but my dogs and the stars for company.

by Anonymousreply 73December 14, 2018 5:15 AM

I started the thread about my friend who killed himself; it's been 2 1/2 months now and I still miss him. I just want to be with him.

This lady must have been in a lot of pain to end it.

Personally, I like having glasses.

I liked having my friend more and if I had the balls right now I'd off myself to be with him. Except my mom's still alive and i haven't done all my paperwork yet.

by Anonymousreply 74December 14, 2018 5:20 AM

R74, you're not going to be with him in any way once you're dead. You will just cease to exist. Believing in fairy tales once you are a grown-up is dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 75December 14, 2018 5:36 AM

R75, you don't really know that for sure.

But, the way I feel right now, I'll take it.

by Anonymousreply 76December 14, 2018 5:41 AM

Now who could possibly be making this thread about themselves, hmm?

by Anonymousreply 77December 14, 2018 5:43 AM

and your post makes it about you...all I can think about is myself? That's right. And so do you! And so does everybody else!

Only, I"M being honest about it!

by Anonymousreply 78December 14, 2018 5:46 AM

R52 your mother didn't have lasik surgery. The cut off age is 59. And lasik is not performed on the eye during cataract surgery.

by Anonymousreply 79December 14, 2018 6:07 AM

On her iPod...

I’d Rather Go Blind

by Anonymousreply 80December 14, 2018 7:46 AM

I've heard that hanging is a terribly painful and slow way to go. No matter how much a person wants to die, once a noose is strangling them, they will fight against it. The person commiting suicide will then tie themselves down to prevent themselves from stopping the strangulation. That's why we hear of people who are found hanging with their arms and even legs tied down. Their families think that they have been lynched, but they were suicides.

BTW, I recently had PRK. I was told that it would not make me 20/20, but I was legally blind without my glasses. I wear glasses when driving or working outside.

by Anonymousreply 81December 14, 2018 8:07 AM

Was she well-hung?

by Anonymousreply 82December 14, 2018 8:40 AM

On her eye-pod: Doctor My Eyes

by Anonymousreply 83December 14, 2018 9:06 AM

[quote]I've never understood why, if you're depressed or desperate enough to kill yourself, why you'd choose such a painful way of doing it.

Well...to be fair, this is how you separate the men from the boys...so to speak. Finality. Getting it done. Can't really turn back, you know?

by Anonymousreply 84December 14, 2018 9:49 AM

[quote]I can imagine she would be despondent about losing her sight, never mind that she has two fucking kids who need her.

Sounds like your imagination and your empathy are lacking.

IF this woman spent months in recovery from a botched eye surgery and her sight never got better, she probably felt totally overwhelmed because she couldn't care for herself---or her children. When people kill themselves it is often because they feel like they've become nothing but a burden to their families.

There are two types of hanging, btw. Strangulation hanging, like from a doorknob, is slow and painful, but if you tie a noose and drop from a high elevation the force of your body's weight will break your neck, paralyzing you so you can't feel pain and can't breathe. You black out very quickly from lack of oxygen. It has got to be terrifying to go through with it but if you're suffering and despairing enough, it's a straightforward way to die. That's why it's one of the 5 legal forms of Capitol Punishment (death penalty) in the US.

by Anonymousreply 85December 14, 2018 10:20 AM

What was Jessica Starr's real name?

by Anonymousreply 86December 14, 2018 10:31 AM

Bevalaqua

by Anonymousreply 87December 14, 2018 10:32 AM

Hangin' Tough - NKOTB

by Anonymousreply 88December 14, 2018 1:11 PM

There have been numerous suicides after failed LASIK made people's vision irreparably worse. It is by no means the easy and safe cure-all it's touted as.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89December 14, 2018 2:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!