Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who's smarter, ethical people or the amoral or immoral sociopaths?

Honesty is the best policy... nice guys finish last. Which is it and which camp are you or people you know in?

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2018 6:36 PM

Sociopaths know how to mimic the genuine empathy ethical folks exhibit in order to move them closer to their goals. Eventually it all comes crashing down, though. I think it depends on how you measure success. No matter how nice of a person you are, there is a level sociopathy and or compartmentalization that has to occur for you to run a successful hedge fund, bank, or move up the corporate ladder.

Someone doing that they genuinely love surrounded by people they love and is not in the pursuit of fame, money, or material means is probably the smartest and happiest person. They win every time.

by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2018 5:42 PM

By "smarter" you seem to mean "making a better life choice" rather than "more intelligent." Using that definition, I would argue that ethical people are making the better life choice.

I have someone in my family who is amoral. Starting in his adolescence, he discarded rules and social codes that didn't benefit him. He shoplifted, lied, and cheated without shame, and he blamed this behavior on his (admittedly) deprived and traumatic childhood. Because he had real intelligence and ambition, he clawed his way up the academic ladder, and is now a medical doctor. You might think that, having finally achieved some measure of cultural and financial success, he would feel less antagonistic toward the rest of the world. He does not; he is still filled with cynicism and contempt for others. I find him unbearable to talk with for more than a few minutes at a time, and I often feel genuinely sorry for him: I wonder what it would feel like to have to live inside of a mind like his, with no beauty or goodness, and no escape.

Conversely, I think that ethical people, over the long term, have the potential to develop inner strength and peace that no one can take from them, no matter how challenging their external circumstances. So I agree with R1; there's no contest.

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2018 5:55 PM

Another vote for being comfortable with your conscience, if you have one. It may not make you richer, but it will make you happier.

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2018 6:12 PM

But that’s the big “if” isn’t it R3?

IF you have one, it seems so many more people these days do not, or have successfully tuned their conscience out to the degree that they may as well not have one.

Or maybe we’re just seeing more examples of this in these times of extreme media. This culture of narcissism being an aspiration certainly obfuscates matters.

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2018 6:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!