Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was Sherman Hemsley The Only Gay On "All In The Family"

I recall a blind item about the gay actor who was a regular on the show. Even if you include the "Archie Bunker's Place" years, the only obvious regularly occurring actor was Hemsley? Any others?

by Anonymousreply 18December 15, 2018 6:09 PM

Face it queens: Sherman Helmsley flew completely under the radar the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 1December 14, 2018 6:45 PM

Beverly LaSalle

by Anonymousreply 2December 14, 2018 6:56 PM

R1 Gurl we all knew

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 14, 2018 7:22 PM

James Cromwell (Stretch Cunningham) always pinged to me. AITF had that classic episode where Archie found out his tough manly man buddy from the neighborhood bar was gay. I was about 11 when I saw that episode and probably the first time I saw gays acknowledged on a tv show.

by Anonymousreply 4December 14, 2018 7:24 PM

r1

Not to any black person he didn't. I recall my friend who was black, and I was at his house and the Jeffersons was on and his grandmother said, "that many has too much sugar in him."

At the time, that comment flew over my 5 year old head.

by Anonymousreply 5December 15, 2018 4:22 AM

r5 many = man (typo)

by Anonymousreply 6December 15, 2018 4:22 AM

Rob Reiner is such a closeted homo.

by Anonymousreply 7December 15, 2018 5:48 AM

Vincent Gardenia pinged.

by Anonymousreply 8December 15, 2018 5:50 AM

Phil Carey who played Archie's straight friend who was gay on the show and actually gay in real life.

by Anonymousreply 9December 15, 2018 9:21 AM

Gardenia was gay.

by Anonymousreply 10December 15, 2018 4:44 PM

What about the Brits neighbor on Jefferson's ?

by Anonymousreply 11December 15, 2018 4:55 PM

Irene Lorenzo. I forgot the actress's name. She pinged to me.

by Anonymousreply 12December 15, 2018 5:47 PM

I loved The Jeffersons growing up, and never thought for a second that Sherman Hemsley was gay. He was crass and funny, and his charisma made him sexy and attractive. RIP Sherman

by Anonymousreply 13December 15, 2018 5:51 PM

Too bad he had to hide in the closet, but he probably didn't care that much with the huge success of The Jeffersons.

by Anonymousreply 14December 15, 2018 5:52 PM

Damon Evans, who played Lionel Jefferson #2, was gay and out. Here's an interview where he states he is gay, and also expresses regrets for accepting the part of Lionel # 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 15, 2018 5:59 PM

Here's Damon Evans, Lionel Jefferson #2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 15, 2018 6:00 PM

Here's Mike Evans (Lionel Jefferson # 1) and Damon Evans (Lionel # 2), side by side. (They are not related.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 15, 2018 6:03 PM

Mike Evans was also Lionel #3, returning to the show in the 6th thru 8th seasons. Lionel #2 doesn't seem familiar at all. Mike quit because he wasn't getting enough screen time.

by Anonymousreply 18December 15, 2018 6:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!