Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Help me argue against right wing talking points.

I'm Canadian and getting worried about what I see being posted on Facebook and other social media. How do you fight back against the memes and outright lies?

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2018 8:37 AM

With truth.

Hope this helps!

by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2018 7:50 AM

I know, R1, but how do you present the truth to people who won't listen? All they do is spread right wing posts and memes.

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2018 7:55 AM

Every bigot and racist feels he speaks "the truth". Political affiliation is not a factor.

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2018 7:56 AM

we have to be vigilant. challenge each one. tell your MP when you see this crap.

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2018 7:56 AM

I have told her, and she's aware, R4. It seems so overwhelming though. The latest is claiming that refugees are getting more aid than seniors and veterans. It's not true, but the memes are still being spread and popping up everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2018 7:59 AM

it's important to see who is funding this, keep following up on soical media, and make your reps aware. If stuff is on a CBC site, respond and see they owe us the truth it's in their mandate. Even "critics are saying" is usually bullshit gossip unless backed up.

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2018 8:13 AM

Social media has been hacked into a (largely) right wing propaganda machine by highly effective state actors, including our industrious troll farm friends in St. Petersburg. You might check out former US intelligence officer Malcolm Nance's books or YouTube videos for some eye opening insights, that are sourced within the US intelligence community.

I'm not sure what can be done short of regulation of Facebook, Twitter, etc. Some recommend leaving social media entirely until they become more responsible. I just deleted my Twitter.

Note that discord and fake news increase user engagement on these platforms, which increases their income, and that they won't fix their algorithms unless absolutely forced to.

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2018 8:15 AM

For one thing, report the posts. Facebook needs to take more steps to stop the spread of disinformation.

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2018 8:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!