Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trump To Vietnam War Refugees GET OUT - Plans To Deport Them All

There goes your Vietnamese take-out food

The Atlantic reported that the Trump administration is in the process of starting to deport certain protected Vietnamese immigrants who have lived in the United States for decades after presumably fleeing their then war-torn country. Last year, the president flouted a 2008 agreement with Hanoi that specifically bars the deportation of Vietnamese who arrived in the United States before July 12, 1995 — the date the two former foes re-established diplomatic relations following the Vietnam War. As is often the case with this virulently anti-immigrant president, Trump claims he wanted to punish countries that allow “violent criminal aliens” into the United States.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 17, 2018 4:19 AM

He’s a stupid jackass

by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2018 1:37 AM

Can you say FLAILING? The poor, ignorant orange blob is flailing.

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2018 1:39 AM

Great food and cheap nail salons = what's not to love? It's the Chinese you need to worry about, not Nam Viet

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2018 1:39 AM

Most Vietnamese Americans I know of are Republicans. I don't know to whom this would endear Trump besides the most hard core white supremacists (even they have a weakness for Asian women).

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2018 1:42 AM

[quote]Katie Waldman, a spokeswoman for DHS said: “We have 5,000 convicted criminal aliens from Vietnam with final orders of removal—these are non-citizens who during previous administrations were arrested, convicted, and ultimately ordered removed by a federal immigration judge. It’s a priority of this administration to remove criminal aliens to their home country.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2018 2:51 AM

I guess his heel spurs are acting up again.

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2018 2:54 AM

[quote]I don't know to whom this would endear Trump besides the most hard core white supremacists

He craves how the hard core deplorables praise and worship him. Half of the things he does is to get a round of "best president ever" and MAGA and the rest of what he does is try and make money.

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2018 2:58 AM

Danger to self and others.

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2018 3:16 AM

If he had a dick I would call him a prick, but a prickless wonder works, also.

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2018 3:23 AM

Some of these people have been here for over 40 fucking years and have children and grandchildren who are thoroughly American and successful contributors to our society in many fields. This is sick beyond belief.

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2018 3:32 AM

You do know that Asian Americans, including Vietnamese Americans, voted 72 percent for Obama and also favored the Democrats in these latest midterms. I include myself, a diehard liberal.

by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2018 3:35 AM

Not to derail this thread too much. But if you break it down by group, Vietnamese Americans lean more to the right than other Asian voters. Of course that may not be the case anymore; the data I see here is pre-Trump...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2018 3:43 AM

Even if that's true, R12, this latest is particularly disgraceful, given what the US did to that country. It's the kind of thing this old fart would take to the streets about.

by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2018 3:54 AM

But they're deporting innocent people just to "punish" Vietnam for "sending" people who were later convicted of felonies, r5.

by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2018 3:58 AM

Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2018 3:59 AM

The Atlantic is twisting the actual State Dept’s words “While the procedures associated with this specific agreement do not apply to Vietnamese citizens who arrived in the United States before July 12, 1995, it does not explicitly preclude the removal of pre-1995 cases," a State Department spokesperson told The Hill.

The State Department did not respond to requests for clarification on whether the change to the 2008 agreement was made in consultation with the Vietnamese government.

A spokesperson for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which oversees deportation cases, told The Hill that there are "7,000 convicted criminal aliens from Vietnam with final orders of removal."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2018 4:09 AM

This has to be the most idiotic scheme dumbass Miller and Babyhands have come up with yet. It is ABSURD.

by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2018 4:19 AM

Jesus H Christ, I hate this motherfucker.....seriously hate. I've never hated anyone or anything as much as I do this man.

by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2018 4:22 AM

He's evil

by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2018 4:26 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2018 5:09 AM

They are trying to deport Convicted FELONS, not just any Vietnamese refugees.

by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2018 5:16 AM

Oh look! More emotionally manipulative and oh so exploitive images of little children the empty-headed use to derail sensible debate.

by Anonymousreply 22December 13, 2018 5:18 AM

These are not the Vietnamese that have successful businesses, strong families and have fully assimilated. It's a very specific group.

The best analogy I can come up with is the Mariel Boat Lift Refugees from Cuba, They were and still are a major criminal element. in S Florida. If the Mariels were to be deported I would not give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2018 5:47 AM

This is sheer bigotry. If these were white people, it simply wouldn't be happening.

When are Trump and Stephen Miller going to address the issue of the 50,000 Irish illegal immigrants who reside in the US? Nah, I didn't think so...

by Anonymousreply 24December 13, 2018 5:56 AM

R18 I hear you. Feel the same, and have heard that from others.

by Anonymousreply 25December 13, 2018 6:13 AM

NOT TRUE, r21, as we keep telling you.

Trump's admin claims there are 5,000 convicted criminals -- and they never said felons, might I had just, criminals -- from Vietnam that they are seeking to deport. They claim there are 5,000 violent criminals who have been ordered deported.

However, there are barely more than 5,000 immigrants TOTAL from all nations who have been ordered deported but have not yet been. It's obvious they're are not all from Vietnam.

That's why the Atlantic article has raised the alarm. They rightly point out that the White House is alleging this is going on, while the facts do not back it up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 13, 2018 7:14 AM

I think that's the wrong link -- try this one, it shows 240 from Vietnam ordered deported, but has the national figure as much higher than 5K. Think I sorted the columns wrong. Still, there aren't 5K Vietnamese immigrants who were ordered deported but who are still here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 13, 2018 7:17 AM

yes, let's deport people who are here legally and if they are convicted felons, it means they served their time.

Beyond this, you guys realize the list of crimes that will get you deported was enlarged under obama.

So, in 1990 I sold pot, served time, and now am being deported.

Also, first generation means citizens. So, shocking, R20 American citizens joined gangs. Whoa, tell me more, Einstein

by Anonymousreply 28December 13, 2018 7:42 AM

I raise my glass to the poster who called this bigotry.

by Anonymousreply 29December 13, 2018 7:43 AM

It’s only those Vietnamese who have committed crimes

by Anonymousreply 30December 13, 2018 7:48 AM

The numbers they want to deport don't match the numbers in the backlog of convicted Vietnamese nationals who were ordered to leave. that's giving people pause and making them wonder if non convicted criminals are included in the total.

Second, many of the crimes are minor. They're not all violent criminals like the White House said, and the right-wing spin is that they're all felons, and that's not true either.

The reason the United States signed this agreement about immigrants who came before 1995 is in part because of what we did to the country that caused the instability in the first place.

Many of these immigrants belonged to a political party that is still being persecuted by the current government. Trump is reneging on an agreement that both Bush and Obama signed, to basically send people who committed minor offenses back to Vietnam, a country they probably haven't lived in for decades, a country that doesn't want them because of their politics and will likely persecute them.

Why? They served their time. Just because they're Vietnamese doesn't mean that they can't be rehabilitated by the justice system in the exact same way that full citizens are.

by Anonymousreply 31December 13, 2018 7:55 AM

The category for what is a crime for refugees which result in deportation has changed several times over the years.

I'm not ok with retroactive punishment.

But sure, in 1985 I sold a bag of weed. I served my 10 year sentence and now, in 2018, face deportation.

You are seriously justifing this crap? R30

by Anonymousreply 32December 13, 2018 7:56 AM

What in the hell does this have to do with skin color or bigotry? Since when have even the Republicans been anti-East Asian? These are not the Vietnamese who came over on the ships sponsored by the Catholic church. These are people who ate known criminals Does anyone know anything about Anaheim and Orange County?

If he decided to send all the 1980s Cubans back to Cuba would you be okay with that? I would.

by Anonymousreply 33December 13, 2018 11:55 AM

As Trump is a criminal himself can we deport him too?

by Anonymousreply 34December 13, 2018 12:10 PM

What have Vietnam way refugees done?

by Anonymousreply 35December 13, 2018 12:14 PM

*war

by Anonymousreply 36December 13, 2018 12:15 PM

R35 Are you serious? Vietnamese run gangs just like the Chicanos in Cali.

by Anonymousreply 37December 17, 2018 4:01 AM

If they are convicted felons, yes then kick them out.

by Anonymousreply 38December 17, 2018 4:07 AM

Trump is just evil. It was like 45 years ago Jesus Christ

by Anonymousreply 39December 17, 2018 4:09 AM

So many Republican voters among the older folks who are citizens. The younger are solidly Dem.

by Anonymousreply 40December 17, 2018 4:12 AM

Older Vietnamese Americans lean GOP for similar reasons as older Cuban Americans.

by Anonymousreply 41December 17, 2018 4:14 AM

R37, yes US born American citizens of Vietnamese heritage join gangs.

Deporting. Vietnamese with green cards will have exactly zero effect.

Please continue your racist, ill informed rant.

by Anonymousreply 42December 17, 2018 4:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!