Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Columbo

I am enjoying old eps of Colombo on YouTube's Columbo channel. I love the garish 1970s sets.

by Anonymousreply 277September 9, 2021 5:36 AM

Love all the guests!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 12, 2018 11:28 PM

Just one more thing , OP. Colombo is also on MeTV.

by Anonymousreply 2December 12, 2018 11:35 PM

The one with Ruth Gordon playing the famous mystery writer ("Try and Catch Me") was particularly good.

by Anonymousreply 3December 12, 2018 11:47 PM

I saw a very young Kim Cattrall on one episode

by Anonymousreply 4December 12, 2018 11:49 PM

I love the location shots for the 70s episodes. So many cool homes in Malibu and the Hollywood hills that have probably been torn down by now.

by Anonymousreply 5December 12, 2018 11:51 PM

R4, you can see her again at R1.

by Anonymousreply 6December 12, 2018 11:52 PM

R3, Agreed, and the one with Anne Baxter is fun, as well.

by Anonymousreply 7December 12, 2018 11:54 PM

Columbo is the best. The wife we never see; the Peugeot; the dog named Dog...simply the best.

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2018 12:35 AM

[quote] The wife we never see

Is her name Mrs. Columbo by any chance?

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2018 12:37 AM

No first name for Columbo.

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2018 12:42 AM

Janet Leigh's episode is fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2018 1:34 AM

List your favorites---

1. The one with the old lady mystery who kills her nephew

2. The HOT tv exec who shoots her boyfriend/boss.

3. Anne Baxter

by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2018 1:55 AM

Mystery writer, that was

by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2018 1:56 AM

Suzanne Pleshette said Peter Falk was her friend and yet he boycotted the set when she was a guest on the show. She was VERY negative about him being so unprofessional because he was having a contract dispute with the producers. When Falk settled his dispute the show was already filmed without him and he expected it to be reshot with him. The director refused.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2018 2:03 AM

"Joe Devlin (Clive Revill) is a renowned Irish poet, author, raconteur, and terrorist supporter. He, along with his own family and the heads of O'Connell Industries, is secretly a fund-raiser and gun-runner for the Irish Republican Army. He raises money in Los Angeles for his radical cause through a charity ostensibly meant to help victims of terrorism. Devlin has a strong belief in honor. Thus, when Vincent Pauley (Albert Paulsen), an arms dealer selling guns to Devlin, tries to skim off $50,000 for himself, Devlin shoots and kills Pauley for being a traitor. With Columbo hot on his trail, Devlin must find more guns and arrange their shipment out of the country.

Final clue/twist: Columbo discovers, that a bottle of whiskey at the crime scene has the same markings Devlin uses to make in his presence prior. Because every diamond has a unique cutting habit, Devlin's ring is proof of his presence at the crime scene. As for Devlin's illegal gun shipment, customs agents originally search the ship, but do not find it. When the ship is pulling out of the harbor, Columbo spots the tugboat flying an O'Connell Industries flag, and thus deduces that the guns were actually on the tug, and that they will be transferred to the ship just before it pulls out to sea.

This was the last episode of the Columbo series broadcast on the NBC television network. Columbo's last line is "This far, and no farther", words spoken by Devlin as he marked a whiskey bottle to determine how much he would drink in a session. These words were taken from a speech by the Irish Parliamentary Party (IPP) leader Charles Stuart Parnell, a 19th-century Irish politician and supporter of Home Rule. A noted IPP politician of the same name as the fictional killer in this episode, Joseph Devlin, represented West Belfast early in the 20th century and opposed the use of violence in the cause of nationalist politics."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2018 2:11 AM

I loved that episode, but do people really do that to their jewelry?

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2018 2:14 AM

I'm a lesbo, but I've always had a strong thing for Dick Van Dyke.

I just love that guy.

by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2018 2:28 AM

[quote] Joe Devlin (Clive Revill)

Revill voiced/portrayed Emperor Palpatine in The Empire Strikes Back before Ian McDiarmid portrayed the Emperor more famously in Return of the Jedi and the Star Wars prequels. Revill’s voice was heard but the Emperor seen on screen was actually a combo of an old woman and a chimpanzee. When George Lucas re-released the DVD of The Empire Strikes Back he replaced Revill/old woman/chimp with McDiarmid in that scene.

by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2018 2:35 AM

The one with Ross Martin (as a snooty art expert) and Kim Hunter was fun

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2018 3:44 PM

Edie bringing the ombre chiffon as requested....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2018 4:17 PM

She gave good gown.

by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2018 4:21 PM

The Suzanne Pleshette episode is one of my favorites- it was filmed in Newport Beach, where I'm from so it's fun to see the old houses and stores and what has changed.

Never heard about the contract dispute, but Peter Falk is in that one.

by Anonymousreply 22December 13, 2018 4:43 PM

I love the clothes! I'd wear most of that.

by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2018 5:10 PM

I think I should do this number in blackface!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 13, 2018 5:17 PM

I've always found Peter Falk kinda sexy.

by Anonymousreply 25December 13, 2018 5:19 PM

R25, me too. The worst episodes had his wife Shera (sp?). Couldn't act for shit.

by Anonymousreply 26December 13, 2018 5:21 PM

The one with John Cassavetes! Etude in Black. Loved it, especially knowing he and Falk were very close friends in real life.

by Anonymousreply 27December 13, 2018 5:22 PM

What is this show about? Is it a show about the world of showbiz in Hollywood?

I see my grandmother watching it every sunday night on metv, but I never really pay attention to it. But I've noticed that it definitely takes place in los Angeles in the 70s/80s.

by Anonymousreply 28December 13, 2018 5:23 PM

You get quite a bit of his ass in In the Spirit, r25. Go to 17:40.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 13, 2018 5:29 PM

John Cassavetes was my idol back in the day. I saw every one of his movies and loved Gena Rowlands and Peter. John was a hell of a director.

by Anonymousreply 30December 13, 2018 5:38 PM

R28 it's a mystery series from the 70s. Highly addicting.

by Anonymousreply 31December 13, 2018 5:50 PM

R25, Peter Falk was sexy for about one second when he was a young actor.

by Anonymousreply 32December 13, 2018 6:13 PM

What was going on with his eye? Was he cross-eyed or was one eye just smaller than the other?

by Anonymousreply 33December 13, 2018 7:05 PM

Glass eye, r33.

by Anonymousreply 34December 13, 2018 7:07 PM

Peter was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and there was an ugly fight within his family over his estate. At one point, he had to be restrained while wandering among Los Angeles traffic in his pajamas.

by Anonymousreply 35December 13, 2018 7:46 PM

I’m watching Columbo, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 36May 28, 2021 3:30 AM

"Oh, just one more thing... "

LOL

by Anonymousreply 37May 28, 2021 3:36 AM

Etude in Black also has a young Blythe Danner in it

by Anonymousreply 38May 28, 2021 3:45 AM

Liar! Blythe Danner was never young.

by Anonymousreply 39May 28, 2021 3:56 AM

You can watch for free on Tubi if you want to watch!

by Anonymousreply 40May 28, 2021 3:59 AM

Columbo is my go-to for comfort TV. I often have it on AMZ Prime in the background while I surf DL for the ever shrinking list of interesting topics or commenters.

I’m kidding. I love you.

by Anonymousreply 41May 28, 2021 4:03 AM

I own the entire collection on DVD, and I dont have many but I keep those. I find the fashion and home decor so nostalgic and amusing. The wall-to-wall carpeting makes me cringe though.

by Anonymousreply 42May 28, 2021 4:20 AM

I was a fan of McMillan & Wife back during the original broadcasts, but never got into Columbo. But I'm working my way through the episodes on Amazon Prime right now. Great guest stars!

by Anonymousreply 43May 28, 2021 4:32 AM

R42 I love wall to wall carpeting!😁

by Anonymousreply 44May 28, 2021 5:46 AM

William Shatner as murderous TV sleuth “Detective Lucerne” may be my favorite episode.

by Anonymousreply 45May 28, 2021 5:58 AM

The one with Jack Cassidy is my favorite! I love his bitchy style.

by Anonymousreply 46May 28, 2021 6:34 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 28, 2021 6:40 AM

I just got done watching the Suzanne Pleshette episode. That is my least favorite so far.

by Anonymousreply 48May 28, 2021 7:08 AM

Robert Culp and Jack Cassidy were the worst serial killers known to man

by Anonymousreply 49May 28, 2021 3:07 PM

I hear the young kids are getting into Columbo these days. That's pretty cool and shows it's VERY addicting and fun to watch. My only gripe are the sometimes anti-climatic endings.

by Anonymousreply 50May 28, 2021 6:49 PM

Which episode, R43? Jack Cassidy did three.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 28, 2021 7:00 PM

R9 the funny thing about Mrs. Columbo is that she was apparently unrelated to Columbo by blood or marriage

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 28, 2021 7:01 PM

His first name was Frank. Falk based his characteristics on my uncle Gene. Rumpled clothing, inappropriate questions, and a beat-up car.

by Anonymousreply 53May 28, 2021 7:05 PM

Fiona Apple is a fan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 28, 2021 10:47 PM

[quote] Robert Culp and Jack Cassidy were the worst serial killers known to man

Good Lord, I hope you mean as characters portrayed on a TV show.

by Anonymousreply 55May 29, 2021 12:05 PM

R52

I actually watched this when it first ran (despite not being born yet, mind you) and I could swear the show started as Columbo's widow who, in the pilot, was trying to solve his murder. I even remember the bloodhound too. I didn't keep watching so apparently missed the fast succession of revisions however.

For what it's worth, a trivia book from the 70s lists Columbo's never-spoken first name as Philip.

by Anonymousreply 56May 29, 2021 12:09 PM

You're mixing up Columbo with something else, R56. Mrs. Columbo with Kate Mulgrew premiered after '70s Columbo ceased production and for the first few episodes they pretended Mr. Columbo and she were married, but he was just not home. The show was so poorly received that they quickly changed the title to Kate Loves a Mystery and gone were any references to Columbo. They never killed him off.

by Anonymousreply 57May 29, 2021 12:20 PM

I've got several favorites. I love when Robert Culp, cop turned private investigator, is tricked into hunting for a contact lens in 𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡 𝐋𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐚 𝐇𝐚𝐧𝐝 (S01E02).

Richard Basehart in 𝐃𝐚𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐝 (S02E04) is entertaining; the way he loses his goddamned mind at the end when he's caught has to be seen to be believed.

Then there's Leonard Nimoy in 𝐀 𝐒𝐭𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐢𝐧 𝐂𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞 (S02E06), which revolves around Nimoy's attempted murder of an ailing colleague using dissolving suture.

There's others - William Shatner, Patrick McGoohan, Oskar Werner, Anne Baxter.

I've collected a lot of them, and I re-watch them when the mood strikes me. The versions I keep have been modified to include Henry Mancini's 'NBC Mystery Movie Theme' which both the televised versions and the DVDs have omitted (I'm kind of OCD that way; the viewing experience isn't complete unless it has the correct opening and ending logos).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 29, 2021 12:53 PM

I like the one where Susan Clark shoots her brother

by Anonymousreply 59May 29, 2021 5:22 PM

In my mind Lee Grant seems to be in every episode - was she in more than one?

& is it always wicked rich folk who think Columbo's just an annoying idiot who they can fool and get away with it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 29, 2021 5:30 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 61May 29, 2021 5:32 PM

Lee Grant was in only one episode, R60.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 29, 2021 6:11 PM

And they aren't always rich, but if they aren't, they are always in some sort of position of authority and/or success. Patrick McGoohan in Dawn's Early Light was the head of a military academy, Donald Pleasance was a vintner who was tops in his field, Jack Cassidy was just a magician in a nightclub but a popular one and besides, he was Jack Cassidy and always comported himself like the Emperor of the World no matter what his character's job was.

by Anonymousreply 63May 29, 2021 6:14 PM

[quote] For what it's worth, a trivia book from the 70s lists Columbo's never-spoken first name as Philip.

This was a red herring for copyright infringement. Look it up, it’s actually pretty fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 64May 29, 2021 6:17 PM

[quote] I'm a lesbo, but I've always had a strong thing for Dick Van Dyke.

Ugh, Dick Van Dyke and his brother are both unattractive, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 65May 29, 2021 6:20 PM

I love all of the Jack Cassidy episodes, he was the perfect charming, smirking, sexy ( imo) criminal. He was excellent. Another favorite was guest star Janet Leigh, if only to see that gorgeous house, beautifully and tastefully decorate, except for her neon green bedroom, which looked as if a teenager on acid broke into her home and decorated while hallucinating on a bad acid trip, lol. She also was the only murderer that Columbo allowed to get away with murder. Did they ever tell us what his first name was?

by Anonymousreply 66May 29, 2021 6:29 PM

R66: tastefully decorate, should be tastefully decorated.

by Anonymousreply 67May 29, 2021 6:30 PM

[quote] The crew used to give him half a bottle of eye drops as a joke.

That doesn’t surprise me. He was very self-depreciating about it and found humor in it himself.

He often told a story of being a baseball player in high school who slid in to a close play at third base. The umpire called him out. Peter removed his glass eye and tossed it to the ump and told him to try a new eye. Lmao.

by Anonymousreply 68May 29, 2021 6:34 PM

[quote] Did they ever tell us what his first name was?

We understand you don’t want to read the thread. After all, it is thousands of responses.

by Anonymousreply 69May 29, 2021 6:35 PM

Sorry, R69.

by Anonymousreply 70May 29, 2021 6:46 PM

I like the (90s) one with Rod Steiger hamming it up as a mafia boss (you read that right). "CHE FAI?!!" George Wendt was the killer in that one; Columbo got him to confess by pretending to hand him over to the mob.

by Anonymousreply 71May 29, 2021 7:25 PM

R56...His name was Frank! In an early episode, he shows his ID and it clearly says, Frank. The trivia book is wrong!

by Anonymousreply 72May 29, 2021 7:26 PM

I really wish people would read the thread.

by Anonymousreply 73May 29, 2021 7:31 PM

Frank

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 29, 2021 7:35 PM

It seems they just run the same few episodes of Colombo over & over on MeTV. Same with Twilight Zone. There are some Twilight Zone episodes I’ve read a description of but have never seen. Meanwhile MeTV keeps playing the same small number of episodes repeatedly. Why is that? Did they only pay for a certain number of episodes & not all of them?

by Anonymousreply 75May 29, 2021 7:54 PM

R63

I think the point was that these were sociopathic elites whose hubris defeated them in the end. It *could* work with a blue collar factory worker, but not as naturally as it does when the murderer is rich, pampered, and lionized. Audiences always enjoy seeing the rich and powerful fall. Soap operas have been running on that fuel for nearly a century. It's a kind of opium.

by Anonymousreply 76May 29, 2021 8:09 PM

It was one of the few US tv shows allowed in some of the iron curtain countries because the proletariat triumphed over the decadent ruling class.

by Anonymousreply 77May 29, 2021 8:18 PM

I watch an episode almost every night before bed.

by Anonymousreply 78May 29, 2021 8:57 PM

R76- The best analysis (?) I have ever read about this show! How many times did the murderer threaten/ and or complain to Columbia's superior with harassment if he continued to investigate them? They were arrogant and not used to having to answer to anyone, especially this little befuddled detective. My favorite show of all time. Intelligently written, superb acting.

by Anonymousreply 79May 29, 2021 9:00 PM

^ Columbo villains were the original Karens

by Anonymousreply 80May 29, 2021 9:02 PM

Men were a whole lot sexier back then

by Anonymousreply 81May 29, 2021 9:02 PM

Speaking of the Peugeot, you know his wife had a car too.

Nothing special mind you, just transportation.

by Anonymousreply 82May 29, 2021 9:03 PM

R81, um, no.

by Anonymousreply 83May 29, 2021 9:05 PM

Indeed. Sexy short choices . When they would sit the shorts would open just enough for a hot, teasing glance of beautiful, free hanging cock and the merest peak of testicles. Oh, how I loved all of those beautiful men.

by Anonymousreply 84May 29, 2021 9:07 PM

I loved the Anjanette Comer/John Cassavetes one (Etude in Black) and don't understand why they killed Anjanette off so quickly--no sex scene? Amateurs.

by Anonymousreply 85May 29, 2021 9:09 PM

Yeah, because 70s network shows always had tons of explicit sex scenes!

by Anonymousreply 86May 29, 2021 9:13 PM

[quote]Men were a whole lot sexier back then

I was watching a British film from 1971 last week - a thriller that's apparently has a bit of a cult following - what hit me was how sexy the men were in their tight suits and trousers all over the place.

I wont bother to find it and link it, no one ever looks at these links and I'm fed up with it. People used to but not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 87May 29, 2021 9:23 PM

...as r87 flounces out of the thread.

by Anonymousreply 88May 29, 2021 9:30 PM

R85- I remember watching that episode, but not the details. What an effortlessly sexy man! ( If that makes any sense) As @R75 said , some episodes are repeatedly shown while others are rarely, if ever now, shown at all. It doesn't matter if I have watched an episode over 10 or so times, it will still be the best thing on TV. There will never be another television detective series of that caliber again, imo. I miss writers who respected our intelligence. Peter Falk was a fun, endearing man who was witty and intelligent. During the OJ Simpson murder trial he said he became hooked on Court TV, lol. He had a very sad, bitter relationship with one of his daughters, and I believe he had to cut all ties with her. I do not know the details about that, but I seem to remember that she had either a mental illness, addiction, or both. I had much sympathy for him, as I would for any parent.

by Anonymousreply 89May 29, 2021 9:37 PM

I think Lee Grant's episode was the first official episode - her character was the only female killer in the entirety of Columbo who didn't have some kind of tragic backstory or excuse, she was coldblooded and completely unremorseful, and that's how she ended up getting caught.

by Anonymousreply 90May 29, 2021 9:47 PM

I love the one with Jamie Lee Curtis as a grumpy waitress .

by Anonymousreply 91May 29, 2021 9:48 PM

The episode starring Ruth Gordon and Mariette Hartley is my favorite. The Johnny Cash one is up there too.

by Anonymousreply 92May 29, 2021 9:49 PM

often the resolutions were quite weak, it's a show very much about the journey

by Anonymousreply 93May 29, 2021 9:52 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94May 29, 2021 10:04 PM

It’s hard to watch the episode with Leslie Nielsen without thinking of the rest of his career...

by Anonymousreply 95May 29, 2021 10:42 PM

Funny coincidence, I just watched last weeks episode on meTV because i noticed Anne Bacter was in it, then up pops this thread.

I think I am going to start watching them once a week now. I like the format that you know the killer from the beginning and then watch Colombo gather the clues.

by Anonymousreply 96May 30, 2021 1:55 AM

Baxter

by Anonymousreply 97May 30, 2021 1:55 AM

I think there were three actors who were Guest Murderers three different times: Robert Culp, Jack Cassidy and Patrick McGoohan. Not sure about William Shatner (he may have only done two).

The best ones were the pilot with Gene Barry and the one with Richard Kiley as Columbo's boss. The worst was the episode with Robert Vaughn (not his fault, the writing was horrible).

Of course, for DLers, the standout show is the one with Robert Conrad doing his 20 minute clad-only-in gym-shorts appearance.

How many people realize Peter Falk was not the first actor to portray Columbo?

by Anonymousreply 98May 30, 2021 2:15 AM

Another one on MeTV is Perry Mason. He gets the murderers to blurt out confessions in nearly every episode. That seems shocking by today’s sensibilities. And poor Hamilton Berger, the D.A. always loses in the end. You’ll see many known actors early in their careers show up on this show as well.

by Anonymousreply 99May 30, 2021 2:15 AM

R59, I love that one (“Lady In Waiting”). A mousy little rich girl kills her overbearing brother, and suddenly turns into sexpot/boardroom dominatrix, to the dismay of her fiancé, poor Leslie Nielsen. There’s very little plot, just her making increasingly outrageous fashion choices.

by Anonymousreply 100May 30, 2021 2:19 AM

^^^ Also, William Hopper who played Mason’s P.I., Paul Drake was Hedda Hopper’s son IRL. I always wonder if that connection helped protect Raymond Burr from getting outed in the tabloids. Also, Raymond Burr was mostly beloved by those he worked with. He was known for being kind and generous with everyone and contributed to many charities.

by Anonymousreply 101May 30, 2021 2:25 AM

R99 We don’t care about Perry Mason. That show sucked.

by Anonymousreply 102May 30, 2021 2:50 AM

I have forgotten the actress in this episode but it was about the women who blamed Columbo for her husband's death so she attempted to murder Mrs. Columbo to make him suffer the pain that she had when she lost him. Excellent one.

by Anonymousreply 103May 30, 2021 2:56 AM

I’m getting ready to watch another episode now on Tubi!

by Anonymousreply 104May 30, 2021 6:19 AM

R89 This is one of his daughters discussing what happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105May 30, 2021 6:23 AM

Any love for the Faye Dunaway episode?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106May 30, 2021 6:34 AM

[quote]I’m getting ready to watch another episode now on Tubi!

I'm so jealous.

by Anonymousreply 107May 30, 2021 6:37 AM

The Viveca Scott episode is one of the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108May 30, 2021 6:39 AM

R99 big deal! Ms Fletcher always got them to confess AND explain how they did it!

by Anonymousreply 109May 30, 2021 9:00 AM

R100 I also love the scene where Columbo asks the overbearing mother of the murdered brother why he was never married. “What are you implying, Inspector?” Subtle.

by Anonymousreply 110May 30, 2021 11:00 AM

The best part of Columbo are these endless carpet floors. Not a single hardwood floor in sight..

by Anonymousreply 111May 30, 2021 11:02 AM

And the smoking!

by Anonymousreply 112May 30, 2021 11:03 AM

[R105] Thank you, that was very interesting but also sad

by Anonymousreply 113May 30, 2021 11:24 AM

The lounge singers in various episodes only know one song. In the episode onboard the ship, the female lounge singer sang "Volare" nonstop. Thank god she was the victim.

by Anonymousreply 114May 30, 2021 5:15 PM

We just watched that one, R106. For a later episode, it's pretty good and Faye is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 115May 30, 2021 6:50 PM

Was there an episode with Gayle Hunicutt? I liked her.

by Anonymousreply 116May 30, 2021 6:54 PM

Faye won an Emmy for her episode.

Rue was good in hers too but instead of being in it for 15 minutes before being murdered, she should have been the killer!

by Anonymousreply 117May 30, 2021 7:13 PM

[quote]I have forgotten the actress in this episode but it was about the women who blamed Columbo for her husband's death so she attempted to murder Mrs. Columbo to make him suffer the pain that she had when she lost him. Excellent one.

R103, that was Helen Shaver in 'Rest in Peace, Mrs. Columbo' (S09E04, Mar 31, 1990).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118May 30, 2021 9:23 PM

Who was that Italian character actor who appeared in at least half of the Columbos? He must have been a friend of the producer, because he was almost a regular (but always a different minor role).

The biggest surprise to me was Johnny Cash as the murderer. I expected him to be awful, but he was pretty good.

It was interesting to see co-stars from other shows as Guest Murderers. Like Shatner and Nimoy from Star Trek, and Robert Conrad and Ross Martin from The Wild, Wild West.

by Anonymousreply 119May 31, 2021 1:26 AM

The one with Robert Conrad is a hoot. And he wears REALLY tight pants

by Anonymousreply 120May 31, 2021 1:45 AM

[119] Vito Scotti

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121May 31, 2021 3:06 AM

R56, Columbo's dog ("Dawg") was a basset hound, not a bloodhound.

Columbo took him to the vet once because the dog was lethargic, or listless, or some such word -- of course the dog looked the same as ever (half asleep), but Columbo could tell that the usual spark was missing. I love a man who's really in tune with his pet.

by Anonymousreply 122May 31, 2021 3:56 AM

I’m getting ready to watch Episode 6 from Season 1 called “Suitable for Framing.”

by Anonymousreply 123May 31, 2021 5:36 AM

I love Vito Scotti. Bruce Kirby (Bruno's dad) was also in several episodes in minor roles.

by Anonymousreply 124May 31, 2021 6:29 AM

R123 "Suitable For Framing" is often ranked as one of the best due to the "gotcha" at the end. What did you think?

by Anonymousreply 125May 31, 2021 10:31 AM

I love "Suitable for Framing". The arrogance of the cultural establishment is on full display here...

by Anonymousreply 126May 31, 2021 11:29 AM

I am not a huge fan of the always hight ranked "Any Old Port in a Storm". The setting amongst wine snobs is great and Donald Pleasance is just wonderful but the logic of turning off the AC does not hold. There would be a strong cadaver smell....It is too contrived.

by Anonymousreply 127May 31, 2021 11:34 AM

^highly ranked

by Anonymousreply 128May 31, 2021 11:35 AM

I must admit I don't pick apart the clues on Columbo unless they make really egregious errors or stretches. Those aren't the strongest part of the show for me. I just love to watch Peter Falk playing off of other really strong actors (almost always true in the '70s and sometimes even in the '90s movies) and I love the character of Columbo himself. As long as the performances and the cat and mouse games work for me, I enjoy the episode.

by Anonymousreply 129May 31, 2021 2:08 PM

Agreed R129. It’s really about Columbo against the arrogant and entitled.

by Anonymousreply 130May 31, 2021 2:33 PM

He used to leave Dawg to fry in the car.

by Anonymousreply 131May 31, 2021 2:38 PM

A Perry Mason thread, r99....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132May 31, 2021 2:47 PM

[quote] He used to leave Dawg to fry in the car.

Oh, please. It was Southern California in a convertible with the windows down. He hardly would fry.

by Anonymousreply 133May 31, 2021 2:56 PM

Bake, maybe

by Anonymousreply 134May 31, 2021 3:04 PM

or simmer as in a crockpot.

by Anonymousreply 135May 31, 2021 3:14 PM

Any Old Port in a Storm, Donald Pleasance's to his his half brother, just before bludgeoning him; "Our father was a good man, a good Italian; he provided the wine. My mother was English; she provided the breeding. Your mother, on the other hand, appears to have been responsible for all the courser sides of your nature."

by Anonymousreply 136May 31, 2021 3:40 PM

R125 I loved the episode! And it was definitely a great ending. That dumbass got tricked big time!😄

by Anonymousreply 137May 31, 2021 6:54 PM

I’m almost finished with Season 1 and I haven’t seen a dog yet. When does the dog show up?

by Anonymousreply 138May 31, 2021 6:58 PM

R138, you'll see Columbo's dog for the first time in 'Étude in Black' (S01E01, Sept 17, 1972).

by Anonymousreply 139May 31, 2021 7:39 PM

^^ Sorry, S02E01.

by Anonymousreply 140May 31, 2021 7:40 PM

R138 first ep of season 2

by Anonymousreply 141May 31, 2021 7:41 PM

As I’ve been watching Columbo, it got me to wondering how many of these crimes would be able to be carried out today without a hitch since so many people have security cameras outside their homes today - regardless of whether they’re rich or poor. It seems like it would be very difficult to get away with most of the plots now since security cameras everywhere can track comings and going’s and times things happened.

What do you all think?

by Anonymousreply 142May 31, 2021 7:47 PM

[quote] security cameras everywhere can track comings and going’s and times things happened.

[quote]What do you all think?

I think you should stop using apostrophes to make plurals.

by Anonymousreply 143May 31, 2021 7:59 PM

[quote] so many people have security cameras outside their homes today - regardless of whether they’re rich or poor.

Tell me about it.

by Anonymousreply 144May 31, 2021 8:01 PM

R143 Come on. Don’t be a schoolmarm.

by Anonymousreply 145May 31, 2021 8:04 PM

[quote] It seems like it would be very difficult to get away with most of the plots now since security cameras everywhere can track comings and goings and times things happened. What do you all think?

I think you should watch the season 4 episode "Playback,' R142.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146May 31, 2021 9:45 PM

Someone has to be, R145!

by Anonymousreply 147May 31, 2021 10:37 PM

I think Columbo only let his anger out twice at killers: The pilot where he let Gene Barry and his girlfriend have it, and the episode with Leonard Nimoy.

I enjoy the earlier episodes where Columbo's quirks were great, but they weren't played to the hilt like in later shows.

Am I crazy, or do I remember one of the murders on the show being committed by Dobermans?

by Anonymousreply 148June 1, 2021 12:11 AM

R148, that’s “How to Dial a Murder,” and that episode shows you how Columbo killers loved to overthink their killings.

by Anonymousreply 149June 1, 2021 12:17 AM

Didn't the Doberman one have a young Kim Cattral in it?

by Anonymousreply 150June 1, 2021 12:19 AM

Yep. Snuggling up with Nicol Williamson.

by Anonymousreply 151June 1, 2021 5:31 AM

[quote] I think Columbo only let his anger out twice at killers: The pilot where he let Gene Barry and his girlfriend have it, and the episode with Leonard Nimoy.

He lost it more than that. One that immediately comes to mind is “A Deadly State of Mind,” where a witness casually shrugs him off by saying, “Ask Dr. Collier,” to which he angrily replies, “No, I’m asking you! I’m asking you about a murder!”

by Anonymousreply 152June 1, 2021 11:50 AM

An Exercise In Fatality - One of the best moments where he loses it takes place in a hospital waiting room with Robert Conrad - also one of the most touching.

by Anonymousreply 153June 1, 2021 12:16 PM

True, r153! I had forgotten about that.

GREAT scene.

by Anonymousreply 154June 1, 2021 12:54 PM

Falk always raised his game as Columbo when he was acting opposite someone (the murderer) who knew how to convey total unblinking ruthlessness cloaked in a thin veil of charm, Conrad definitely knew how to do that, and then some.

Collin Wilcox was excellent in this too, I posted about her being one of my favourite onscreen drunks on another thread.

by Anonymousreply 155June 1, 2021 1:25 PM

Tasteful Friends, what is your opinion on the London Episode? I thought the slimy butler was wonderful and he deserved being murdered for putting Columbo down. And the hysterical overacting of the murderous couple...What I don't get is the allure of the wax museum. Was this really such a big thing in the 70ies?

by Anonymousreply 156June 1, 2021 1:48 PM

I recall watching a memorable Columbi episode at my grandmother’s house. I was shocked when concert pianist Ricardo Montalban set fire to his hands for the insurance to start a new life with a student who didn’t love him. For years I tried to find it on IMDb. Then last week it I discover it was an episode of Murder She Wrote.

by Anonymousreply 157June 1, 2021 1:56 PM

r156 Ages ago I had started to watch that episode, Dagger of the Mind, but I had to stop because I was so distracted by parts of it obviously having been filmed in California. Aside from the architecture, we don't have sunshine like that! I will force myself to watch it at some point though, it stars Honor Blackman after all.

by Anonymousreply 158June 1, 2021 2:08 PM

vis a vis wax museums, Madame Tussauds is still a big thing in Britain.

by Anonymousreply 159June 1, 2021 2:13 PM

Bing Crosby was almost Columbo.

"Columbo first appeared on television in 1960, it would be nearly a decade before Falk would become synonymous with the rumpled detective. First, Bert Freed played the LAPD flatfoot in a 1960 episode of anthology series The Chevy Mystery Show. A couple years later, Thomas Mitchell played the sleuth onstage in a production called Prescription: Murder in San Francisco. When it was decided that the play would be turned into a television movie in 1968, the lead was offered to Lee J. Cobb and Bing Crosby, but Falk landed the part.

[quote] I've always found Peter Falk kinda sexy.

This should cure you of that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160June 1, 2021 2:38 PM

[quote] I was so distracted by parts of it obviously having been filmed in California. Aside from the architecture, we don't have sunshine like that!

I love shit like this. Almost a behind-the-scenes thing.

by Anonymousreply 161June 1, 2021 3:09 PM

But it’s raining all the time in this episode, no?

by Anonymousreply 162June 1, 2021 3:20 PM

The correct Columbo opening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163June 1, 2021 4:24 PM

R158 what is so “obviously California “? The Tudor mansion on the hill in the park?

by Anonymousreply 164June 1, 2021 4:33 PM

Loved Sunday Mystery Movie, except Richard Boone. No. But I liked the Gene Barry ones.

by Anonymousreply 165June 1, 2021 5:30 PM

r164, the "Tudor mansion" is not the real deal, it's an American reproduction, that's obvious, on sight, to anyone from the UK - r162, I distinctly remember when I switched the episode off, it was during a scene outside the American "Tudor" mansion that was bathed in unmistakably, un-English sunshine.

by Anonymousreply 166June 1, 2021 7:01 PM

Thanks R166, that’s what I expected;)

by Anonymousreply 167June 1, 2021 7:56 PM

Sorry! Your sarcasm flew right over my head, disregard!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168June 1, 2021 8:24 PM

OP, have you seen the Colombo (and his dog) statue in Budapest?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169June 1, 2021 8:52 PM

I’m getting ready to watch the “Lady in Waiting” episode.

by Anonymousreply 170June 2, 2021 4:13 AM

*SPOILER* That was a really good episode! But there’s one thing I think could have made it better - At the end when Columbo lets her go into the bathroom to change, I thought for sure when she closed the door there would be another gun in there and that we were going to hear her shoot herself so that she didn’t have to go to prison. Instead she really does get changed while Columbo smokes.

Which leads me to ask: are there any episodes where the person kills themselves rather than allow themselves to be arrested?

by Anonymousreply 171June 2, 2021 7:20 AM

The version they should have filmed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172June 2, 2021 8:16 AM

It's an ongoing pattern, or even a theme, with the show, R171: Columbo is unusually courtly with the female killers, often developing flirtatious, sympathetic relationships with them.

by Anonymousreply 173June 2, 2021 11:09 AM

And he risks getting shot! By a “classy woman” who is clearly mentally unstable. She even spooked Leslie Nielsen and that says something...

by Anonymousreply 174June 2, 2021 11:41 AM

R171 No, nobody ever killed themselves rather than be arrested and in my opinion, that would have been wrong for the tone of the show.

by Anonymousreply 175June 2, 2021 11:56 AM

R175

The murderers were all too arrogant to commit suicide. I imagine even when caught dead to rights they STILL thought they could get off scot free. I imagine they felt the totality of their comeuppance was being bested by this low-class schlub.

by Anonymousreply 176June 2, 2021 12:12 PM

[quote] Columbo is unusually courtly with the female killers, often developing flirtatious, sympathetic relationships with them.

On the contrary, I think the women (often beautiful) sized him up and used their feminine wiles to which he feigned distraction. I've only seen a handful of episodes over the years, but that's at least how I remember the ones with Lee Grant and Susan Clark.

by Anonymousreply 177June 2, 2021 12:14 PM

There are so many it could be, R87! Did it have Frank Finlay? They all seemed to have Frank Finlay, back then.

by Anonymousreply 178June 2, 2021 12:33 PM

Exactly, R177. He's "flirting" with them to catch them off-guard. The female suspect begins to think "he's so attracted to me that I'll easily fool him."

He pretends to be attracted to the women and awed by the wealth and business acumen of the men. That's how he gets his prey.

by Anonymousreply 179June 2, 2021 12:34 PM

R179, I'd considered that, but unless I'm forgetting something, there's never a moment with a female killer when the mask drops and he turns angry or a bit cruel, the way it does with the male killers.

by Anonymousreply 180June 2, 2021 1:36 PM

The houses were meant to be lavish and luxurious, but instead the majority of them looked like upscale steakhouses: low 8'6" or 9' ceilings, Usually there were some bad "clubby" Chesterfield sofas, lots of applied moldings on doors and wood paneled walls, walk-in vaults, some Louis-something style commodes, big bronze sculptures (maybe a Barye panther or two), maybe some modish ceramic table lamps, big as a small boat, and acres and acres of cocksucker red carpet and accents.

This image from the 1971 episode "Death Lends a Hand" gives what I recall as a fairly typical interior.

Damn, the show ran for 12 not quite continuous seasons, with pilots in 1968 and 1971, then starting up in earnest in 1973 (with Steven Bocho as writer and Steven Spielberg as director of the first episode as a series.) And I think Peter Falk aged 45 years in those 15.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181June 2, 2021 3:53 PM

Or these colors, like malted eggs in an Easter basket, and that cocksucker red carpet again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182June 2, 2021 3:56 PM

[quote] some Louis-something style commodes,

When the hell did you ever see a commode in Columbo?

by Anonymousreply 183June 2, 2021 3:58 PM

Lee Grant in "Ransom for a Dead Man" is the only one I can remember, r180 - Could Susan Clark in "Lady in Waiting" also count?

by Anonymousreply 184June 2, 2021 4:05 PM

and didn't Joyce Van Patten's murderess try to frame her loving niece in "Old Fashioned Murder"? That could be defined as cruel - it's been so long since I've seen an episode, so I can't say for sure, but I will bet Lee Grant still takes the crown for most dastardly murderess.

by Anonymousreply 185June 2, 2021 4:17 PM

R183: Haha. In plain sight in R181.

by Anonymousreply 186June 2, 2021 5:57 PM

R175 I disagree. Out of all of the years Columbo was on, it would have actually been interesting to see a few of the murderers kill themselves. It would have been a real shock for it to have happened a few times instead of always having a predictable ending of just being arrested.

by Anonymousreply 187June 2, 2021 6:37 PM

But Columbo wasn’t that dark.

by Anonymousreply 188June 2, 2021 7:46 PM

R188 I didn’t say for it to happen on a regular basis, just once or twice to shock people rather than the same predictable ending for once.

by Anonymousreply 189June 2, 2021 7:50 PM

It would be as out of character with the show as Jessica Fletcher chasing a suspect down with a gun.

by Anonymousreply 190June 2, 2021 7:52 PM

R190 OK! We get it! God forbid we have some occasional change from time to time to shake things up on a TV show!

by Anonymousreply 191June 2, 2021 7:58 PM

The best "Columbo" episodes, bar none, in Season order:

---S1, E1---"Prescription: Murder." Gene Barry, Nina Foch.

---S1, E9---"Blueprint For Murder." Patrick O'Neal, Janis Paige.

---S2, E1---"Etude in Black." John Cassavetes, Blythe Danner, Myrna Loy. And a fabulous Jaguar XK-E.

---S3, E3---"Candidate For Crime." Jackie Cooper.

---S3, E8---"A Friend in Deed." Richard Kiley.

---S4, E1---"An Exercise in Futilty." Robert Conrad. In a bathing suit!

---S8, E3---"Sex and a Married Detective"---Lindsay Crouse.

by Anonymousreply 192June 2, 2021 8:12 PM

The Richard Kiley one was good

by Anonymousreply 193June 2, 2021 8:17 PM

There obviously never was a "Mrs Columbo." Columbo was obviously a gay.

by Anonymousreply 194June 2, 2021 8:30 PM

MRS COLUMBO WAS A BEARD!!!

by Anonymousreply 195June 2, 2021 9:04 PM

No gay man would wear that raincoat.

by Anonymousreply 196June 2, 2021 9:21 PM

I love the combination of gaudy Louis XV desks and green carpet floors!

by Anonymousreply 197June 3, 2021 2:05 AM

I've spotted flocks of Hummel figurines in some "grand house" scenes. It's all in the details.

by Anonymousreply 198June 3, 2021 2:23 AM

Vito Scotti made a career out of playing stereotypical foreigners. If he was a Frenchman he wore a striped pullover shirt, ascot and beret. If he played an Italian he had a mustache, greasy hair and put his hand up to his lips and made kissing sounds. .”Mwa, mwa, mwa, bella signora is most beautiful, like a fine wine!” If he was Japanese he wore buck teeth and a pair of thick eyeglasses that made his eyes look like slanted pinholes. If he was Mexican he wore a sombrero and had a long, drooping mustache and said “Mañana, señor!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199June 3, 2021 2:29 AM

[quote] Vito Scotti made a career out of playing stereotypical foreigners.

And only William Schallert worked more steadily

by Anonymousreply 200June 3, 2021 2:38 AM

Vito Scotti’s Mexican look

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201June 3, 2021 2:44 AM

FYI...Peacock is removing Columbo and MSW at the end of June.

by Anonymousreply 202June 3, 2021 7:15 PM

Well ain't THAT a kick in the teeth.

by Anonymousreply 203June 3, 2021 7:19 PM

Well whaddaya know about that, r202!

by Anonymousreply 204June 3, 2021 7:50 PM

R17, It's subliminal.

by Anonymousreply 205June 4, 2021 8:30 AM

That's hilarious R199. Why do I have a suspicion that he would not have much of a career in 2021?

by Anonymousreply 206June 4, 2021 11:25 AM

I believe Baby Boomers got their ideas about foreigners & foreign culture directly from Vito Scotti & Warner Brothers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207June 4, 2021 4:36 PM

My grandma loved this show. it was fun watching with her.

by Anonymousreply 208June 4, 2021 5:06 PM

I always felt there was not enough Academics in the show. Most Professors behave exactly like Columbo villains.

by Anonymousreply 209June 4, 2021 6:51 PM

R209, like 99% of murders are committed by poor people.....not professors or the upper class people you saw on Columbo

by Anonymousreply 210June 4, 2021 6:54 PM

r209 is right, they may not commit many murders, but they and their admirers probably turn out more sociopathic-like people than anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 211June 4, 2021 7:25 PM

A quote I came across the other day - "Academia is to knowledge what prostitution is to love" - Nicholas Taleb

by Anonymousreply 212June 4, 2021 7:27 PM

The "professors are evil" people are probably ignorant Republicans who think book learning is evil.

by Anonymousreply 213June 4, 2021 7:38 PM

Columbo portrayed an upper class driven by arrogance and a need for power. These were people who were never going to want for anything, even if they were forced to sell the family winery, or forfeit credit for a medical innovation. They didn’t have the usual excuses for committing crimes—they just didn’t think the rules applied to them.

by Anonymousreply 214June 4, 2021 7:53 PM

How about Roddy McDowell's semi holding forth in those powder blue double knit slacks.

by Anonymousreply 215June 4, 2021 7:58 PM

Robert Conrad looking hot in an episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216June 4, 2021 8:49 PM

R215, did Roddy McDowell wear a wig in this episode?

by Anonymousreply 217June 4, 2021 10:21 PM

One hopes so, R217.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218June 4, 2021 10:24 PM

Funny thing that he could pull off that youthful look. He looked ridiculous as Augustus in his blond wig in "Cleopatra".

by Anonymousreply 219June 4, 2021 10:31 PM

[quote]How about Roddy McDowell's semi holding forth in those powder blue double knit slacks.

That episode is next in my playlist! I love Roddy!

Do Roddy’s character and Columbo have sex?

by Anonymousreply 220June 4, 2021 10:49 PM

No, and in fact his character is supposedly straight.

by Anonymousreply 221June 4, 2021 10:57 PM

[quote]No, and in fact his character is supposedly straight.

Oh, dear. Is this as believable as when he played straight in his episode of Night Gallery?

by Anonymousreply 222June 4, 2021 11:44 PM

Peacock has them all. I recently went through all 10 seasons. Don't know my favorite yet.

by Anonymousreply 223June 5, 2021 2:42 AM

[quote] his character is supposedly straight.Oh, dear. Is this as believable as when he played straight in his episode of Night Gallery?

In both shows he wore the same wardrobe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224June 5, 2021 2:48 AM

I have a suspicion this could be Roddy‘s real hair.

by Anonymousreply 225June 5, 2021 2:53 AM

Did Roddy have a big rod or was he a bottom?

by Anonymousreply 226June 5, 2021 3:12 AM

OFGS. Television had and has plenty of gritty crime dramas.

But we remain fascinated by violent crimes by and against the better-off, both true and fictional. We are, frankly, entertained not only by observing the trappings of their lifestyles, but also by the "sisters under the skin" realities.

There are no "poor" villains in the world of "Columbo," nor of Jessica Fletcher (who even travels to London, Paris, and Monaco to solve crimes!), nor of Poirot or Miss Marple, and rarely in the urban jungles of McGarrett and Lennie Briscoe.

Ted Bundy, Jeffrey MacDonald, OJ, Robert Marshall, Scott Peterson---not "poor people." (Okay, the Manson killers lived poor, but didn't stem from poor.) Victims Versace and Miglin---wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 227June 5, 2021 7:18 AM

The last interesting of all the Columbo episodes was where he put on a hat and went undercover with ugly poor people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228June 5, 2021 7:27 AM

Roddy gives off Pushy Bottom vibes. Especially in that Columbo episode (and in “Evil under the Sun”)

by Anonymousreply 229June 5, 2021 9:50 AM

I watch old Columbo episodes all the time, and “Dial a Murder” is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 230June 5, 2021 10:00 AM

Typo above.

The LEAST interesting of all the Columbo episodes.....

by Anonymousreply 231June 5, 2021 11:16 AM

One hopes so, [R217].

Yikes, Roddy's hair make him look like future co-star Kim Hunter

by Anonymousreply 232June 5, 2021 5:04 PM

William Shatner in his Columbo appearances was kinda hot in a sleazy, middle-aged, married daddy way.

by Anonymousreply 233June 5, 2021 5:14 PM

[quote] Did Roddy have a big rod or was he a bottom?

You know these things aren’t mutually exclusive, right?

by Anonymousreply 234June 5, 2021 5:17 PM

[quote] William Shatner in his Columbo appearances was kinda hot in a sleazy, middle-aged, married daddy way.

William Shatner in his Columbo appearances was a rehearsal for what came next

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235June 6, 2021 1:04 AM

I’m watching the Roddy McDowell one right now. Once again, he’s playing an annoying, sleazy snake just like in Night Gallery. Did he ever play any other type of role? And he was definitely starting to age at this point.

by Anonymousreply 236June 7, 2021 7:13 AM

The ending of the Roddy McDowell episode was stupid as hell.

by Anonymousreply 237June 7, 2021 10:28 AM

R237, it is supposed to be the best part in an otherwise weak episode. But you are right, Roddy should have jumped.

by Anonymousreply 238June 7, 2021 10:37 AM

Last night we watched Murder By the Glass (Louis Jourdan is the murderer, a snooty food critic) and it was fun. Unusual method of murder, nice interplay between Falk and Jourdan, and lots and lots of gourmet food. What's not to like?

by Anonymousreply 239June 7, 2021 2:37 PM

Laurence Harvey as the chess champ was fun. I like how it was all about the case, not Columbo's quirky behavior.

by Anonymousreply 240June 7, 2021 3:50 PM

I’m now in the second season, and one thing that I don’t like about the show is the reactions of most of the criminals at the end of each episode. The majority of them just have an, “Aww, shucks! Guess you caught me!” reaction and it’s stupid. Very few of them panic or go into hysterics once they’re caught and it’s irritating how nonchalant they are when arrested.

by Anonymousreply 241June 10, 2021 3:00 AM

It's because they are classy. None of the boorish bourgeoise melodrama for the swells.

by Anonymousreply 242June 10, 2021 3:31 AM

R242 Give me a break.

by Anonymousreply 243June 10, 2021 4:01 AM

Agreed R141, an occasional suicide or assault on Columbo would have been nice. Thant scene with the psychotic sister and her gun was ridiculous ("because you are a classy lady").

by Anonymousreply 244June 10, 2021 4:28 AM

LOL I just got done watching an episode and the murderer said “Congratulations” and shook Columbo’s hand! Oh yeah - I’m sure that’s what most murderers do when they get caught and know they’re getting ready to go to prison for years.🙄😂

by Anonymousreply 245June 12, 2021 5:19 AM

Columbo's bumbling cop schtick got old very quickly. He was fucking annoying and I wanted one of the murderers to take Columbo out too. The actor and the character were both like fingernails on a chalkboard.

by Anonymousreply 246June 12, 2021 7:17 AM

R245, The John Cassavetes episode "Etude in Black," right?

246, To you. Ten seasons and 13 Emmy awards would indicate you hold a minority opinion.

by Anonymousreply 247June 12, 2021 9:34 AM

That was to r246.

by Anonymousreply 248June 12, 2021 9:34 AM

R247 Yep! That was the episode! Please tell me there aren’t any future episodes where that happens because that was just ridiculous.

R246 I’m currently on the second season and yes, the playing dumb schtick is starting to wear thin. I know that I can expect that to always be in each episode, but I hope the plots are at least good to make up for the tired schtick. I also get sick of how Columbo just so happens to automatically know right away who the killer is from the very beginning. I guess he was a psychic too.🙄

by Anonymousreply 249June 12, 2021 9:58 AM

R247, since when are the Emmy awards any measure of quality? They gave the unfunny and wooden Candice Bergen five Best Actress in a Comedy awards. Not to mention multiple wins for the juvenile garbage that was Everybody Loves Raymond.

by Anonymousreply 250June 12, 2021 10:49 AM

R249, I think there are good reasons behind Columbo's suspicions, the main one's being that, no matter how sophisticated, rich, well-known, or intelligent the murderer is, as a first-time killer he or she makes mistakes.

The other reason is that, unlike a Poirot, say, there usually isn't a pool of any number of suspects.

In "Columbo" as in life, OFTEN---when a wife is murdered, it's the husband. When a mistress is murdered, it's the other husband. When a cheating lover is murdered, it's the woman scorned. When a boss is murdered, it's the next-highest employee. When a business partner is murdered, it's the other partner. And so on.

IOW, Lt. Columbo succeeds because people aren't that clever.

This is not to say he doesn't need clues and evidence or even to set traps to catch the killer. "A Friend in Deed" is a great example of the last, while Season 5's "Last Salute to The Commodore" is dependent upon a wristwatch.

"Last Salute" was directed by Peter Falk's good friend Patrick McGoohan, and was the only "Columbo" where we viewers were not first shown the commission of the crime. The episode was criticized for not following the "Columbo" format, including having a Poirot-like gathering of suspects at the end for the reveal.

As for "Just one more thing," Columbo knows that his villain or witness had reflexively relaxed at the detective's expected exit. What better time, then, to catch him or her off-guard?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251June 12, 2021 10:52 AM

R250, If you are going to denigrate awards, then you are beyond the scope of rational argument.

by Anonymousreply 252June 12, 2021 10:54 AM

R245, Uh, you know it’s a TV show, right?

by Anonymousreply 253June 12, 2021 12:16 PM

I'm on the second season as well, and that's just because that's what is currently running on MeTV Sunday nights. I'm not gonna search out the show, but if they're going to serve it to me on a silver platter in prime time, why not…

by Anonymousreply 254June 12, 2021 7:41 PM

R253 Yes.

by Anonymousreply 255June 13, 2021 2:23 AM

If you like Columbo you should get Mhz and watch Detective Montalbano. He's bald, getting a little overweight and get chewed out in nearly every episode by some crazy Sicilian peasant-type. Many of the murderers commit suicide and he seems to let a couple do so. He also lets a couple of criminals go, although not murderers. It's a fun series and each episode is 90 minutes, so it's like a movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256June 13, 2021 2:50 AM

The episode where he goes to London is absolutely terrible and ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 257June 21, 2021 1:10 AM

[quote] The episode where he goes to London is absolutely terrible and ridiculous.

The London episode was a holiday paid for by NBC to Falk, Rock Hudson, and Dennis Weaver. Each filmed much the same episode with the Scotland Yard background with a little work from the stars but mostly carried by other actors. I love how Honor Blackman and Richard Basehart are directed to ham it up.

by Anonymousreply 258June 21, 2021 1:18 AM

R258 I couldn’t even watch all of it because it was so bad!

by Anonymousreply 259June 21, 2021 1:25 AM

season 3 episode 1 is a favorite.

by Anonymousreply 260June 21, 2021 1:31 AM

Am I the only one who thought Columbo was strangely attractive in the first few seasons?

by Anonymousreply 261July 6, 2021 7:05 AM

I adore this show but I HATE when he's walking around with a hard boiled egg in one hand an a cigar in the other. My gag reflex kicks in if a get just a small whiff of a hard boiled egg.

by Anonymousreply 262July 6, 2021 1:56 PM

I just watched the episode “Any Old Port in a Storm,” and that was the most stupid ending I’ve ever seen. When Columbo busts the suspect, the guy basically giggles and basically says, “Ah, ya got me! Good job!” And then they go drink wine and do a cheers 🥂 before Columbo hauls him off to jail.🤦🏼‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 263July 9, 2021 5:32 AM

[quote]I adore this show but I HATE when he's walking around with a hard boiled egg in one hand an a cigar in the other. My gag reflex kicks in if a get just a small whiff of a hard boiled egg.

I noticed that the hard boiled egg shit started in Season 3. Not sure what made them come up with that.

by Anonymousreply 264July 9, 2021 5:33 AM

r263, that was one of the best episodes of Columbo.

by Anonymousreply 265July 9, 2021 6:55 PM

Wasn't there talk of a reboot with Mark Ruffalo (as Columbo's son), or was I hallucinating? I would've watched that.

by Anonymousreply 266July 9, 2021 7:24 PM

some sets and costumes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267July 9, 2021 10:42 PM

Would you have had sex with Columbo? I mean the 60’s/70’s Columbo, not the 80’s/90’s/00 one.

by Anonymousreply 268July 10, 2021 1:21 AM

Hell, yes. I'd wear him like a rumpled raincoat.

by Anonymousreply 269July 10, 2021 1:36 AM

r266, he had no children. But he had a nephew. Played by Michael from Melrose Place. He was a cop too.

by Anonymousreply 270July 11, 2021 1:15 AM

I recently watched the Johnny Cash episode and I was surprised what a decent actor he was.

by Anonymousreply 271July 27, 2021 10:46 AM

I agree, R271. Very laid-back and natural.

by Anonymousreply 272July 27, 2021 11:40 AM

I’ve just started Season 4 of Columbo and I don’t know what it is, but something feels off - like it’s trying to be more comical than serious. Is it just this first episode of Season 4 or does this theme continue? Does the quality of the show start to go down this season or is it just a bad episode?

by Anonymousreply 273August 6, 2021 11:12 AM

Season 4 definitely was one of the less interesting ones (the military academy episode, the cruise episode).

by Anonymousreply 274August 10, 2021 2:36 AM

I couldn’t even get halfway through the George Hamilton episode it was so boring.

by Anonymousreply 275August 25, 2021 9:36 PM

I like the one with the two dobermans

by Anonymousreply 276August 25, 2021 10:11 PM

Were there any episodes with gay characters or gay murderers or victims?

by Anonymousreply 277September 9, 2021 5:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!