Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mary Poppins Returns Reviews

Surprise! Despite being anointed an instant classic and Best Picture contender, it’s only at 76%.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332February 3, 2019 12:35 PM

Have no interest in this. Love Blunt but the Hamilton guy is so over-rated.

by Anonymousreply 1December 12, 2018 10:51 PM

Ouch from the LA Times

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 12, 2018 10:52 PM

"only" 76%

by Anonymousreply 3December 12, 2018 11:00 PM

Ouch again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 12, 2018 11:00 PM

If Academy voters knock this one off the Best Picture roster, who could benefit? First Reformed? Eighth Grade?

by Anonymousreply 5December 12, 2018 11:10 PM

It would be a shame if 76% Mary Poppins got a BP nod instead of 100% Paddington 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 12, 2018 11:14 PM

I'll go see it over the holidays. The only thing near my parents' place is a walmart and a movie theater.

I LIKED Mary Poppins as a kid, but it's never been one of my favorites. Never wanted to buy it on Blu-ray, but I'd watch it if it was on cable. I was a bit surprised to find it so incredibly beloved.

by Anonymousreply 7December 12, 2018 11:16 PM

Paddington 2 bombed in the US, which won't help its chances

by Anonymousreply 8December 12, 2018 11:17 PM

The two leads are incredibly miscast. In these roles, they have none of the charm of Andrews and Van Dyke. Maybe instead of creating a Hispanic Jack, they could have hired a British song and dance man.

by Anonymousreply 9December 12, 2018 11:20 PM

Does the movie explain why there is Puerto Rican in Edwardian England?

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2018 12:44 AM

It's set in the 1930s. It's possible a Puerto Rican could have immigrated.

by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2018 12:50 AM

This might belong on its own thread, but why have Disney's live action "event" movies (not counting the Marvel or Star Wars stuff; that IS for another thread) been so lackluster? I was just so underwhelmed by Into the Woods and Beauty and the Beast, to name two.

by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2018 12:59 AM

Disney creates products, not movies.

by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2018 1:04 AM

Emily blunt sux bad, so does the Hamilton guy

whole mess is horribly miscast

by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2018 1:36 AM

we lasted 25 minutes

my kids were screaming to get the fuk out, when mary came on they cried bloody murder.

even her wardrobe was Disney bozo

hope Disney has huge flop on their shitass hands

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2018 2:17 AM

Oh, so looking forward to this. Looked so magical. Damn. Oh well, ♡ out to R10 at least. 😅

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2018 2:27 AM

R11 😂

by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2018 2:28 AM

Mary Poppins' Revenge.

by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2018 3:00 AM

It's not released yet, R15.

by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2018 3:00 AM

Emily and Lin, along with director Peter Marshall, were all on The Barefoot Contessa cooking show last weekend. I thought Emily was downright bossy to poor Ina. Although, Ina's gay friend, who owns Dean & Deluca, called Ina "bossy" at the florists when he and Marshall went to pick up flowers.

by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2018 3:12 AM

"I was just so underwhelmed by Into the Woods and Beauty and the Beast, to name two."

A lot of people loved Beauty and the Beast, so I think you're alone there

"Does the movie explain why there is Puerto Rican in Edwardian England?"

Did the original have to explain why the chimney sweep was an American with a bad cockney accent?

by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2018 3:40 PM

Lin does a good accent from the clips I've seen.

And that was Rob Marshall, the director on Ina's show- not Peter Marshall.

by Anonymousreply 22December 13, 2018 3:45 PM

Mary Poppins returns... and she's PISSED AND KICKING BUTT!!

(and played by Bruce Willis)

by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2018 3:49 PM

Big opening weekend but will ultimately lose money

Expect another reboot in a year or two

by Anonymousreply 24December 13, 2018 3:51 PM

I think it will do fine. Perfect time of the year and a family movie.

by Anonymousreply 25December 13, 2018 4:44 PM

Emily Blunt is a bit of a cold fish to be playing Mary Poppins...

by Anonymousreply 26December 13, 2018 4:59 PM

Would watch R23

by Anonymousreply 27December 13, 2018 5:00 PM

Lin never did much for me before, but he seemed like a sweetheart on Ina's show and hot AF.

by Anonymousreply 28December 13, 2018 5:40 PM

A lot of the positive reviews on RT are also just middling. Seems like half of the positives are calling it mediocre or passable.

by Anonymousreply 29December 13, 2018 6:22 PM

Miscast! should have casted Eva Green as Mary Poppins

by Anonymousreply 30December 13, 2018 6:38 PM

I was never attracted to LMM until i saw this movie and saw his thick ass under those high-waisted trousers

by Anonymousreply 31December 13, 2018 6:45 PM

Rob Marshall concocted a Mary Poppins pomegranate giblets drink for Ina Garten. It looks very festive with the pomegranate seeds and the red color. I think I'll make it for Christmas Eve.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 13, 2018 6:53 PM

R26, Mary Poppins was a cold fish. I read the books before I saw the movie, as a kid, and did not like that bitch. I guess it’s better than being saccharine-sweet, but.

by Anonymousreply 33December 13, 2018 7:08 PM

It is miscast. Everyone knows Faye Dunaway is the perfect Mary Poppins.

by Anonymousreply 34December 13, 2018 7:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 13, 2018 7:23 PM

For 2018 they should have made “M. Poppins” trans and pan

by Anonymousreply 36December 13, 2018 8:08 PM

[quote]Rob Marshall concocted a Mary Poppins pomegranate giblets drink for Ina Garten.

GIBLETS? Ewwww!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 13, 2018 8:09 PM

Why do you sound so thrilled, OP? Why does it please you so much?

by Anonymousreply 38December 13, 2018 8:30 PM

Oh, I get it. The OP must be the Poppins Loon, Matt, of yore. He hates the original because he was forced to watch it while someone diddled him or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 39December 13, 2018 8:32 PM

Saw the trailer and thought I was going to vomit. It looks awful.

by Anonymousreply 40December 13, 2018 8:34 PM

Heres one the OP will never link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 14, 2018 12:35 AM

Her singing is so weird. it feels like she’s a non-English speaker over annunciating each syllable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 14, 2018 1:09 AM

Lucy wanted to play Mary in the original. Gary talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 43December 14, 2018 1:23 AM

Emily would probably make a better Mame than Mary Poppins.

by Anonymousreply 44December 14, 2018 1:24 AM

They could have at least hired a soprano.

by Anonymousreply 45December 14, 2018 1:38 AM

Not for me, but I know better than predict it will fail. I've learned my lesson with the circus movie last year. P.T. Barnum was a nice guy or something.

Mary Poppins'Revenge will make gazillions.

And R35 beat me to it. A horror MP movie could be very interesting. Imagine if they all started bad tripping ?

by Anonymousreply 46December 14, 2018 2:30 AM

I agree with everyone who is saying that Hamilton guy needs to go away. He's not a good actor--he just plays himself over and over again, and he's fugly.

by Anonymousreply 47December 14, 2018 2:45 AM

He's not going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 48December 14, 2018 7:58 AM

P. L. Travers is probably rolling thrice in her grave. Lord knows the first movie damn near killed her.

by Anonymousreply 49December 14, 2018 8:19 AM

Metoo, r48.

by Anonymousreply 50December 14, 2018 8:36 AM

How come no one is talking about me?

by Anonymousreply 51December 14, 2018 8:38 AM

Because they're too busy talking about ME!

by Anonymousreply 52December 14, 2018 8:41 AM

God what a boring movie. The 1st movie I ever saw (yes Elder Gay) was Mary Poppins and it held up well. This woman playing MP does not have the spark Julie Andrews had.

Meryl Streep though should get an Oscar nom for Supporting. She was great! I didn't know it was her until someone in the cinema said it out loud.

by Anonymousreply 53December 14, 2018 9:16 AM

Julie Andrews was never a good singer.

by Anonymousreply 54December 14, 2018 4:40 PM

[quote]P. L. Travers is probably rolling thrice in her grave. Lord knows the first movie damn near killed her.

If she is, good. She was a nasty, hateful woman who ruined the lives of her adopted son and his brother whom she ignored. When the awful stage version came out, with an overdose of Travers imposed on it, it became clear that Disney knew his stuff and cut what needed to be cut from her books.

by Anonymousreply 55December 14, 2018 8:42 PM

The stench of Matt the Poppins Loon is strong in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 56December 14, 2018 8:43 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 14, 2018 8:45 PM

The competition to play Mary Poppins in the original was fierce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 14, 2018 11:23 PM

Andrew the Hunted

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 14, 2018 11:28 PM

R58, hysterical!

by Anonymousreply 60December 14, 2018 11:46 PM

Saw it at preview for media. Its a 6 out of 10.

Blunt is an odd choice for Mary... Maybe she intercourse the director.

by Anonymousreply 61December 15, 2018 5:44 AM

The director is gay , dear.

by Anonymousreply 62December 15, 2018 8:08 AM

They should have cast Tracey Ullman for this.

by Anonymousreply 63December 15, 2018 8:12 AM

I totally agree with the poster who said Blunt is way to much of a cold fish for this. Mary has two sides to her personality and I'm sure Blunt nails the steely stuff but what about the really loving, soft side of MP? Emily always reads as bitchy or icy to me. Worse, she's one of these people who appears to know this about herself and tries to hide it beneath a really creepy veneer of fake niceness. So the problem is compounded because she not only comes across as bitchy but also somehow...inauthentic, not trustworthy.

She's a capable actress but the problem lies her how she sees herself and wants to be seen. If I was her agent, I'd tell her to stop taking 'nice people' roles and do a full Charlize. She'd clean up.

Also, Disney is two for two now with the tone deaf Cockney accents. Lin might be creator but a performer he is not. Someone needs to tell him this before it gets embarrassing. Or, you know... *more* embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 64December 15, 2018 8:50 AM

Why is Hollywood so smitten with Blunt? She’s never proven herself as box office draw and her performance are admirable, but she’s never really hit it out of the park in anything. Those “early reviews “ of “practically perfect “ Mary Poppins Returns reeked of damage control for what could be a huge box office bomb.

by Anonymousreply 65December 15, 2018 9:07 PM

All of the “positive” reviews are lukewarm. Yet the movie and Blunt are getting Oscar nominations? Is there an electoral college amongst Academy voters with stronger weight given to old white people that enjoy movies with Angela Lansbury and Dick Van Dyke cameos?

by Anonymousreply 66December 15, 2018 9:27 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 15, 2018 9:33 PM

Penis von Lesbian literally ruins the original for me.

R U I N S.

by Anonymousreply 68December 15, 2018 10:15 PM

[quote]All of the “positive” reviews are lukewarm.

That's a lie. Hollywood Reporter and AP are raves. Variety is a near-rave. Several others are far better than "lukewarm." Sorry, Loon, you have to suffer through the success of yet another Mary Poppins. But at least no one will be diddling you in this one.

by Anonymousreply 69December 15, 2018 11:55 PM

r68 = Mary Tyler Moore

by Anonymousreply 70December 15, 2018 11:56 PM

Hilarious review from the SF Chronicle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 15, 2018 11:59 PM

Matt the Loon is on a tear. Too bad, dear, the odds are still against you. Why don't you start one of your standard tricks, like filling the thread up with nonsense?

by Anonymousreply 72December 16, 2018 12:02 AM

AP raves!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 16, 2018 12:04 AM

78% rotten Tomatoes, r69. Even “Destroyer “ has a higher rating!

by Anonymousreply 74December 16, 2018 1:42 AM

Has anyone actually seen it yet?

by Anonymousreply 75December 16, 2018 2:04 AM

I saw a preview and couldn’t wait for it to end. It was insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 76December 16, 2018 2:46 AM

Destroyer’s Director is like a 100 times better than Rob Marshall.

by Anonymousreply 77December 16, 2018 2:50 AM

In the 1930s, a group of British producers wanted to present a stage version of Poppins. Stumped on how to convince Travers, they eventually decided to send their proposed star Beatrice Lillie to charm her.

Indeed she did. After an afternoon with her, Travers became convinced that Lillie was the only possible dramatic Poppins. The London stage production fell through due to financing but Travers remained convinced that Lillie was the only possible Poppins.

She was broke when she signed the deal with Disney but thought she could convince him to cast Lillie. When Disney refused to consider her and cast Andrews she became Disney's mortal enemy. She carried on so badly that she wasn't invited to the premiere but she showed up anyway resulting in security being called and quite a scene being created.

Travers said publicly that she like Andrews but she simply wasn't Mary Poppins. She was right. Bea Lillie would have been a fabulous Mary Poppins.

And yes, Travers was a damaged and toxic woman who was an evil mother.

by Anonymousreply 78December 16, 2018 3:25 AM

[quote]Bea Lillie would have been a fabulous Mary Poppins.

Not in 1962-63, when it filmed, she wouldn’t have been. By that point she was in her early 70s, and already showing signs of dementia. It made her hell to work with on High Spirits in early ‘64, and almost impossible to work with in 1966 when Thoroughly Modern Millie filmed. On top of that, since 1959 Lillie had been under the thumb of the nefarious John Huck, who took control of her life, her relationships, and her career. Lillie was a Theatre Star, anyway, and her magic had rarely translated well to film.

PL Travers had no real theatrical sense anyway. Disney knew what he was doing. When they added all the Travers garbage back into the stage version of Poppins, it became clear that Disney had been right to get rid of a lot of her crappy ideas.

by Anonymousreply 79December 16, 2018 7:49 AM

Anyone know anything about the 1949 Studio One television version with Mary Wickes?

by Anonymousreply 80December 16, 2018 8:00 AM

[quote]I saw a preview and couldn’t wait for it to end. It was insufferable.

Saw it today. I thought it was fair. The songs aren't very catchy or memorable. I'm a fan of Blunt so I think she was great, but there isn't much there with her take on the role. Lin-Manuel Miranda actually gave it his all. I don't see Blunt getting an Oscar nomination for this at all. Lin-Manuel Miranda actually gave it his all. Afterwards I heard one woman remark that it was too childish and someone else say that the person next to them slept through the film.

by Anonymousreply 81December 16, 2018 8:05 AM

R15 whines about quality but can't be bothered to spell correctly.

by Anonymousreply 82December 16, 2018 8:06 AM

Any review that starts with "Mary Poppins Returns is a delightfully whimsical musical..." won't attract anyone to the theater.

Can you imagine ANY FRIEND, any real person describing a movie that way? "Delightfully whimsical?"

by Anonymousreply 83December 16, 2018 8:09 AM

Shut up, Matt at r83. Go back to your Aspie slumber.

by Anonymousreply 84December 16, 2018 8:22 AM

mick lasalle nailed it. way too many songs and routines. my daughter said 'daddy can we go yet', 20 minutes in...

blunt a horrid miscast poppins.

bea Lillie where are u honey????

by Anonymousreply 85December 16, 2018 9:56 AM

The reviews that point out Blunt’s native screen persona (hard, busy & slighly pyschopathic) is at odds with the prim, controlled & chrystalline character that Andrews nailed — because she was that herself, really encapsulate the problems. That and the fact the movie is — in the manner of modern films — far too ‘busy’ : visually, musically, structurally.

by Anonymousreply 86December 16, 2018 10:13 AM

It feels engineered and forced. These days its much much harder to find films where everything is looser and unfolds organically and unexpectedly. It’s difficult to imagine a situation in a big studio film like My Best Friend’s Wedding, where several scenes were written while filming to accommodate Rupert Everett’s chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 87December 16, 2018 10:20 AM

I took my nephews to see it. Several families got up before it was half over and left. All at the same time. It seemed like once people started getting up, others saw it as their chance too and took off. People who stayed booed those who left. It was very odd.

by Anonymousreply 88December 16, 2018 11:05 AM

Will barley break even.

by Anonymousreply 89December 16, 2018 11:16 AM

Was alwys perplexed that such a kool guy like Krankinski would marry such a cold fish.

by Anonymousreply 90December 16, 2018 11:20 AM

[quote]It feels engineered and forced.

That’s the problem with Disney’s corporate filmmaking under the current regime down to a T. I feel that early laurels including the AFI ten best were simply responding to the immense corporate confidence that Disney displayed going into awards season.

My sense of the film, from what I have seen from the trailer, is that it is merely a bloated, big budget version of the pleasant but corny and forgettable network musicals from the 1990s like Angela Lansbury’s Mrs. Santa Claus or Marshall’s own Annie. I think sensibilities have changed too much for it to have genuine appeal for its intended audience, young families. I think parents in their forties and grandparents will probably like the film best because of nostalgia, but younger parents and children will find it uncool.

by Anonymousreply 91December 16, 2018 11:35 AM

R90, it's mutual narcissism. When they gaze lovingly at each other's identical veneers and nascent double chins, it's like staring into the mirror.

by Anonymousreply 92December 16, 2018 12:53 PM

I hate to say it, but Anne Hathaway would have killed this role. She has all the right ingredients to bring Mary Poppins to life again. Sometime you wann hug her. Sometime you wanna punch her.

by Anonymousreply 93December 16, 2018 1:19 PM

Mostly the latter.

by Anonymousreply 94December 16, 2018 2:58 PM

[quote]Will barley break even?

You'll have to wait until commodities futures trading opens on Monday to find out.

by Anonymousreply 95December 16, 2018 4:47 PM

A lot of you people sound like the Star Is Born crazies- it's a bomb, people walked out, blah blah.

by Anonymousreply 96December 16, 2018 4:53 PM

Tom & Lorenzo and The Film Experience’s Nathaniel give it an enthusiastic thumb’s up.

by Anonymousreply 97December 16, 2018 5:25 PM

The first film I ever saw in a theater was " Mary Poppins"- I was four and it was unlike anything I had ever seen. I think that as an original musical for the screen it is right up there with " Oz" and " Singing' In The Rain". It is the best live action film ever made under Uncle Walt's hand. And my love for Julie Andrews has never died.

The problem with the new one is it isn't the old one- that's what all the reviews get wrong. I wouldn't compare the two. It's stupid. One was made for one generation and the new one for another. I think Blunt is an excellent choice. I wouldn't compare her to Julie Andrews. One is an excellent actress and the other is freaking Julie Andrews. As for Lin I think he is a genius. And as long as he is having fun and brings the feeling to the movie so be it. Pity critics are always decrying how old films lack the realism of new one, but are crass when new ones can't live up to their heighten memory of the past. As for that critic with the LA Times, he is always on Fresh Air and he sucks- when did film critics become so juvenile in the way they watch film? Meanwhile if Pauline Kael were around she would probably say it's all sugar for the masses. Eat up or shut up- it's not suppose to be a masterpiece just a new version of an old story none of you have read anyway.

by Anonymousreply 98December 16, 2018 5:29 PM

Wake me up when they make a Bedknobs and Broomsticks sequel.

by Anonymousreply 99December 16, 2018 7:00 PM

Do they explain why there is a porda riccin in this remake?

by Anonymousreply 100December 16, 2018 9:44 PM

Lady Gaga actually would have been great as Mary Poppins, especially since she would have insisted on her own style.

by Anonymousreply 101December 16, 2018 9:50 PM

Yes, I can see Gaga now, descending into the nursery in a suit made entirely of meat. Get ready kids!

by Anonymousreply 102December 16, 2018 10:23 PM

Just a....mouthful of cow flesh makes...

by Anonymousreply 103December 16, 2018 10:32 PM

Paddington 2 rules

by Anonymousreply 104December 16, 2018 10:42 PM

Most movie ads or trailers give you a sense of what the story is. When a movie's ad is completely about the special effects, because what story there is sucks, you know it's a stinker. The original movie had great songs and some fantasy, but even if those were taken out, the movie still had a good story and a great moral.

by Anonymousreply 105December 16, 2018 10:49 PM

I thibk the story in MPR is better than the one for the original. And the trailers for the original emphasized the special effects, too.

by Anonymousreply 106December 17, 2018 12:58 AM

I would love to see Gaga Poppins!

by Anonymousreply 107December 17, 2018 1:00 AM

Marilyn Poppins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108December 17, 2018 1:01 AM

^ What's that from?

by Anonymousreply 109December 17, 2018 2:51 AM

I hope this flops. And the Jungle Cruise movie that Blunt is also in.

by Anonymousreply 110December 17, 2018 2:57 AM

R109, The Andy Dick Show.

by Anonymousreply 111December 17, 2018 2:58 AM

[quote]I hope this flops. And the Jungle Cruise movie that Blunt is also in.

You sound like a joy to be around.

by Anonymousreply 112December 17, 2018 3:00 AM

R112 likes garbage sequels and ride-based movies.

by Anonymousreply 113December 17, 2018 3:02 AM

[quote]Do they explain why there is a porda riccin in this remake?

To annoy assholes like you.

by Anonymousreply 114December 17, 2018 3:02 AM

[quote]took my nephews to see it. Several families got up before it was half over and left.

The Loon can’t even lie effectively. The film has not been released to the public yet, so that statement is a lie. The only people who have seen it so far have gone to press or guild screenings, where you’re only allowed a plus one (and sometimes not even that).

by Anonymousreply 115December 17, 2018 3:11 AM

Almost this entire thread is Matt A the Loon. He goes on a tear and posts from different browsers to pretend he’s several people.

by Anonymousreply 116December 17, 2018 3:12 AM

[quote]The Loon can’t even lie effectively. The film has not been released to the public yet, so that statement is a lie. The only people who have seen it so far have gone to press or guild screenings, where you’re only allowed a plus one (and sometimes not even that).

I'm not The Loon but in L.A there was a free screening at LACMA open to the public which is how I saw it. And generally Disney has free advance screenings for their films through SeeItFirst and that's open to the public.

by Anonymousreply 117December 17, 2018 3:15 AM

Disney is pulling the film and reshooting Emily Blunt's scenes with the disinterred corpse of Beatrice Lillie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118December 17, 2018 9:54 AM

Back at 76% on Rotten Tomatoes. Even Bumblebee is beating it. Why does drivel like this get Oscar nominations?

by Anonymousreply 119December 17, 2018 10:10 AM

omg gaga woulda been fab

blunt cant sing. who dubbed her voice.

who cast her in this? weird

by Anonymousreply 120December 17, 2018 10:15 AM

Jesus I can’t believe Bumblebee will be one of the best reviewed movies of the year.

by Anonymousreply 121December 17, 2018 10:32 AM

Bumblebee IS the matinee Mary Poppins!

by Anonymousreply 122December 17, 2018 11:33 AM

ide pay for bumble fore ide pay for anything with that turgid Blunt in it...

by Anonymousreply 123December 17, 2018 11:54 AM

Bumblebee should’ve played Mary Poppins

by Anonymousreply 124December 17, 2018 12:55 PM

"Back at 76% on Rotten Tomatoes. Even Bumblebee is beating it. Why does drivel like this get Oscar nominations?"

Uh, 76% is good. And the Oscar nominations haven't come out yet - but you knew that, right?

by Anonymousreply 125December 17, 2018 3:16 PM

Give me some tomatoes, how dare Blunt tarnish the legend of Julie Andrew by bein her in sequel. GIMME SOME TOMATOES TO HURL AT HER FUG FACE!

by Anonymousreply 126December 17, 2018 3:28 PM

R125, it’s an Oscar front runner despite a middling 76% rating. Duh!

by Anonymousreply 127December 17, 2018 3:50 PM

76% isn't middling and it's not an "Oscar front-runner"

by Anonymousreply 128December 17, 2018 4:03 PM

It’s considered a shoo-in for Best Picture and Best Actress nominations. These reviews are clearly not slam dunks to warrant any Oscar buzz.

by Anonymousreply 129December 17, 2018 4:32 PM

Havent averagely reviewed movies been nominated for Oscars several times?

by Anonymousreply 130December 17, 2018 5:47 PM

Lin-Manuel Miranda is a good choice for Disney films because he's so sexless.

by Anonymousreply 131December 17, 2018 5:48 PM

And won.

by Anonymousreply 132December 17, 2018 5:48 PM

At this piint, Mary Poppins at 78% (or 76%) on RT is way ahead of Vice at 58%.

The anti-MPR, anti-Blunt Troll is going to have a terrible next few months.

by Anonymousreply 133December 17, 2018 7:15 PM

[quote]Paddington 2 bombed in the US, which won't help its chances

Exactly. Paddington Bear is a "thing" strictly for the Brits. Mary Poppins is a global icon.

by Anonymousreply 134December 17, 2018 7:51 PM

Global icon? LMAO!!

by Anonymousreply 135December 17, 2018 8:30 PM

Why didn't they ask Brie Larson? Everyone knows she's adept at musical comedy

by Anonymousreply 136December 17, 2018 9:28 PM

Brie only does transformative feminist roles. Those better highlight her cuntiness.

by Anonymousreply 137December 17, 2018 11:00 PM

Isn’t this a kiddie film? When is the last time that a kiddie film (not counting animation) been a big awards contender?

by Anonymousreply 138December 17, 2018 11:03 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139December 18, 2018 3:31 AM

Emily Blunt Troll is an alcoholic Brit, I'd say somewhere in late middle age, who has no friends whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 140December 18, 2018 6:31 AM

[quote]Brie only does transformative feminist roles

Like "Hello, Dolly"!

by Anonymousreply 141December 18, 2018 6:32 AM

good god, sooo much singing, hardly a bit of plot or dialogue. miserable 3 hrs....seemed like 5.

by Anonymousreply 142December 18, 2018 7:12 AM

Yea, Blunts face has cold bitch written all over it. maybe her sexy hubby hoochy kooed with the director for her to git the part

by Anonymousreply 143December 18, 2018 7:13 AM

Ouch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144December 18, 2018 10:45 AM

A truly charmless film. Emily Blunder was a terrible choice.

Given that Lady Gaga sang The Sound of Music and got raves from Julie Andrews, I wish Gaga had been the new Mary Poppins. It would show her versatility after A Star Is Born.

by Anonymousreply 145December 18, 2018 10:53 AM

Her post- Prada nose job killed her singing ability.

by Anonymousreply 146December 18, 2018 11:16 AM

la GAGA is magnificent.

by Anonymousreply 147December 18, 2018 11:29 AM

Gaga, like most people, knows that a Poppins reboot is a dumb idea

by Anonymousreply 148December 18, 2018 1:03 PM

At this point, Blunt Loon, you're just masturbating. No one is reading you anymore, you're just posting for your own gratification, as if you can make the movie a flop by posting.

You are truly pathetic! Not since "The Three Lives of Thomasina" has a Disney film faced such a noxious asshole.

by Anonymousreply 149December 18, 2018 2:28 PM

"Given that Lady Gaga sang The Sound of Music and got raves from Julie Andrews, I wish Gaga had been the new Mary Poppins. It would show her versatility after A Star Is Born."

I like Gaga, but who would buy her as a prim Englishwoman?

by Anonymousreply 150December 18, 2018 3:30 PM

I don't know, but there is a reason it's called acting.

by Anonymousreply 151December 18, 2018 3:53 PM

r151, you really think she has that much range? She's getting awards for basically playing herself.

by Anonymousreply 152December 18, 2018 4:01 PM

I think the Emily Blunt troll is her fangurl who keeps posting and defending her against this imaginary one person alcoholic British troll.

by Anonymousreply 153December 18, 2018 4:30 PM

R152, you never know. Cher had a pretty good acting career playing various versions of herself, which she admits.

I guess we'll have to wait and see for Ga.

by Anonymousreply 154December 18, 2018 4:40 PM

Poppins and Blunt are so boring that people here would rather talk about Lady Gaga and A Star Is Born

by Anonymousreply 155December 18, 2018 5:18 PM

r155, Poppins hasn't even come out yet.

by Anonymousreply 156December 18, 2018 5:21 PM

Hawt!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157December 18, 2018 6:06 PM

[quote]When Meryl Streep shows up in a small role, the sense of pleasant recognition is followed by a grim understanding – “Oh no, now she’s going to want to sing.”

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 158December 18, 2018 6:36 PM

The anti-Blunt Troll is just a painted clown.

by Anonymousreply 159December 18, 2018 7:45 PM

The Irish love it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160December 18, 2018 7:46 PM

Her husband did send naked pictures to The Rock.

by Anonymousreply 161December 18, 2018 8:51 PM

Stick this up your tight ass, Blunt head! A pan from Trump’s favorite newspaper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162December 18, 2018 10:23 PM

It seems like for all the money and time Disney spent reverse engineering in 1960s movie, what made “Mary Poppins” a classic was merely a happy accident of career peak Julie Andrews and the Sherman Bros coinciding with each other.

by Anonymousreply 163December 18, 2018 10:47 PM

I agree R163. And that helped form the perfect storm that included our own unique connection to the movie at a certain age. I think that I read somewhere that the films we loved before either age 12 or 9 remain favorites no matter how old we get. My mother saw "Gone With The Wind" when she was nine. It effected the rest of her life, even though she could see it great flaws. She loved watching that movie and spoke about like you would your favorite ice cream. This film may try to bridge itself to the first film in some way but it is not " our" Mary Poppins. And any new version is going to fail to live up to our memory. And to some degree that can't be helped. If you love it great. If it fails- well, when you play the dice.

by Anonymousreply 164December 18, 2018 11:27 PM

Some of us who count Mary Poppins as an early fave are eager and excited to see the new one. I’m not worried about it living up to my memory. I like what I’ve seen in the trailers. I like the score. I’m not psychotic about Emily Blunt. Can’t wait!

by Anonymousreply 165December 19, 2018 12:20 AM

^^shill

by Anonymousreply 166December 19, 2018 12:48 AM

Honey, they don't need shills.

by Anonymousreply 167December 19, 2018 12:52 AM

Bumblebee will be the sleeper hit of the weekend with Aquaman devouring the box office. Mary Poppins Returns won’t be an outright flop, but it’s opening weekend will be nothing spectacular - might make $30-40m by Sunday. Factor in the so-so reviews, Oscar buzz will dim fast.

by Anonymousreply 168December 19, 2018 1:09 AM

$20 says this is another one where the critics are divided, favouring a pan, and the public loves it. It's going to be a smash.

by Anonymousreply 169December 19, 2018 1:16 AM

^ Venmo it baby! Nobody wants to schlep outside their homes to see a revival of Mary Poppins.

by Anonymousreply 170December 19, 2018 1:18 AM

Who is this idiot who is so psychotically wrapped up in hoping MPR flops? What does he get, what kind of pleasure, in that thought?

Is it the Poppins Loon of yore, who felt abused by the original? Or is this a new Brit Loon, indeed a painted clown with a screechy voice who hates it because he hates Disney and his fellow Brit Emily Blunt? Or a Euro Loon, French or Italian?

Whichever it is, this poor disturbed thing is pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 171December 19, 2018 2:51 AM

my 9 yr old daughter looked at me and said can we leave yet? after 20 minutes...

by Anonymousreply 172December 19, 2018 4:54 AM

it will be #one for a couple weeks then capsize...

by Anonymousreply 173December 19, 2018 5:04 AM

It's starting to look like it will be a bust like Wrinkle In Time

by Anonymousreply 174December 19, 2018 5:09 AM

My parents moved to the middle of nowhere next to a walmart and a multiplex so hopefully it's a decent Christmas distraction. I like Poppins as a kid, but it was never a FAVORITE. Fraulein Maria was my Julie Andrews of choice

by Anonymousreply 175December 19, 2018 5:10 AM

thrilled to see Disney make such a flop. couldn't happen to a more asshole corporation.

by Anonymousreply 176December 19, 2018 6:06 AM

LOL about the 9 year old who wanted to leave. A kid said to her parents she wanted to leave, 'it's hurting my eyes'. The parents told her to close them. We were given lobby cards/survey after the lights went up. A lot of people were grumbling. I did say it would have been better if Lady Gaga or Joanne Froggart played the part and people agreed.

by Anonymousreply 177December 19, 2018 7:29 AM

The NY Times review is pretty rough.

by Anonymousreply 178December 19, 2018 8:00 AM

I knew it was Manohla Dargis without even look R178

by Anonymousreply 179December 19, 2018 8:04 AM

Deservedly so r178 and r179. This is easily one of the most overrated movies ever made.

by Anonymousreply 180December 19, 2018 9:05 AM

She is too young and pretty for the part which calls for a more cozy, older, "mumsy" type.

by Anonymousreply 181December 19, 2018 9:16 AM

She's older than Julie was

by Anonymousreply 182December 19, 2018 9:27 AM

Meryl is getting panned.

by Anonymousreply 183December 19, 2018 9:58 AM

she was wearing this odd yellow wig on Colbert, alwys has that snippy element in her voice an eyes.

SHE AINT NO MARY POPPINS

GIMME ANGELA LANSBURY

by Anonymousreply 184December 19, 2018 10:28 AM

Nutcracker already flopped hard last month, didn't it?

by Anonymousreply 185December 19, 2018 11:31 AM

^ Yes, it totally bombed

by Anonymousreply 186December 19, 2018 5:34 PM

A thousand times over ‘why Emily Blunt?’ She sucks!

I know everyone hates her but surely this part was made for Anne Hathaway?

by Anonymousreply 187December 19, 2018 5:43 PM

Anne Hathaway??? Please.

The problem with Blunt is that she tends to be humorless - onscreen and in person. It's too bad this couldn't have been made when Emma Thompson was younger - she would have been much better.

by Anonymousreply 188December 19, 2018 6:14 PM

Yes! Young Emma Thompson would have been perfect.

I agree that Hathaway could have sailed through the role easier than Blunt, but the part would also require her to amplify the sanctimonious qualities we all hate about her.

by Anonymousreply 189December 19, 2018 6:51 PM

Could BOTH Aquaman and Bumblebee beat Mary Pooping Returns at the box office?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190December 19, 2018 7:25 PM

Mary Poppins is wonderful, great fun, great surprises. Emily Blunt is terrific, perfect little Christmas present

by Anonymousreply 191December 19, 2018 7:29 PM

Theater was not crowded. I got lonely and decided to leave as well.

by Anonymousreply 192December 19, 2018 7:45 PM

How crowded would a theater be this early in the day? Aren't most people at school or work? Maybe you're unemployed.....

by Anonymousreply 193December 19, 2018 7:53 PM

Julie Andrews could gaslight the children and still be charming. I imagine Blunt would come off as disturbed if she tried it.

This sounds like the Mary Poppins Bette Davis should have done.

by Anonymousreply 194December 19, 2018 8:55 PM

So much bullshit in this thread. No one's been leaving the theater in all of these "sneak previews" you supposedly have been in. And Blunt's perfectly fine.

by Anonymousreply 195December 19, 2018 11:06 PM

Does Blunt have IBS? There were a few scenes where she looked uncomfortable.

I fell asleep at the 7:30 screening in an empty theatre .

by Anonymousreply 196December 20, 2018 4:55 AM

Didn’t Disney originally want Bette Davis as Mary Poppins, and then thought better of it?

“The Nanny” two years later affirmed that he was right. And Davis, as usual, couldn’t do an English accent to save her life.

by Anonymousreply 197December 20, 2018 5:04 AM

Saw it at 3:45. Sold out, although few kids, mostly adults. I loved it. Streep was amusing. Lin-Manuel really had a charming presence, and danced well in Light Fantastic. Blunt was great. What was jarring about her was that they tried to write her a little closer to the books, rather than Julie Andrews. In the books she’s a real bitch. The definitive book Mary Poppins wasn’t Bea Lillie, but Elaine Stritch.

by Anonymousreply 198December 20, 2018 5:10 AM

Sold out at 3:45 on a Wednesday? Puh-lease.

by Anonymousreply 199December 20, 2018 5:29 AM

I loved it! I was predisposed to feel that way as my parents took me to see the first Mary Poppins when it first came out in Hollywood for my graduation from 6th grade!

So, DL Denizens, who remembers when Marc Shaiman (composer of MaryP music) was an authenticated DataLounger!? Who remembers the wonderful time he offered to give/hold at the theatre 2 tickets to the smash Broadway show, Hairspray (he wrote) for some poor fellow who was bemoaning how expensive tickets were for poor little old him. Well he never came back to take Marc up on the offer, but Marc's good will to all shined through. Love the music, Marc. Very clever and resonant of the original.

by Anonymousreply 200December 20, 2018 5:43 AM

The El Capitan in Hollywood, r1199. Disney’s flagship. It was probably similarly full with the earlier shows as well.

by Anonymousreply 201December 20, 2018 6:34 AM

Put Meryl's name on another Oscar for Supporting. I guess she can't be lead at this point. It would be so cool if Gaga won Best Actress and Meryl Supporting on the same awards show!

by Anonymousreply 202December 20, 2018 7:33 AM

Loved the lamplighter dance scene, reminded me of the Aggie dance in Best Little Whore House.

by Anonymousreply 203December 20, 2018 9:28 AM

I agree with r106 that MPR has a stronger plot than the first one. Blunt is fine but seems (compared to MP) to be barely in it—the focus is on Jane and Michael, who were both excellent. Just as in MP, the production numbers wear out their welcome.

by Anonymousreply 204December 20, 2018 10:41 AM

Kids who went to the preview I attended were crying and upset at what was depicted on the screen. Several had to be comforted and taken out of the theater. It seemed very strange the effect the 'magic' had on these children. One kid shouted 'I HATE her' at the sight of Emily Blunt.

by Anonymousreply 205December 20, 2018 10:45 AM

R202, What is Meryl's screen time?

by Anonymousreply 206December 20, 2018 10:46 AM

Emily Blunt reminds me of Sarah Miles, aka homely.

Hard to believe Michael Buble once chose her.

by Anonymousreply 207December 20, 2018 10:49 AM

About ten minutes, r206.

by Anonymousreply 208December 20, 2018 11:11 AM

Meryl is in it for one brief number, as is Dick Van Dyke and Angel Lansbury

by Anonymousreply 209December 20, 2018 11:11 AM

Emily Blunt adused me when I was younger!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210December 20, 2018 11:12 AM

Rex Reed loved it, so that means it is terrible

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211December 20, 2018 11:17 AM

lol....kids were screaming I HATE HER when Blunt came onscreen.

I want to take those bozo hats she wears and make her eat them!

by Anonymousreply 212December 20, 2018 11:25 AM

Lets address the elephant in the room:::WHAT IN HELL IS JOHN HOTTIE N FUN KRASINKSI DOIN WITH HER??

by Anonymousreply 213December 20, 2018 11:35 AM

He bottoms for Matt Damon. So does Chris Hemsworth.

Blunt is a famewhore. She dated Buble when he was hot and she was a nobody and traded up to beard for Krasinski since he’s part of Damon’s inner power circle.

by Anonymousreply 214December 20, 2018 12:31 PM

Destroyer has a fresher rating than Mary Pooping Returns.

Watch Nicole climb....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215December 20, 2018 12:35 PM

I saw it at a midnight screening. Full house, a lot of chanting, mostly kids. They roared when Emily Blunt first appeared on screen and almost immediately starting throwing things... anything, really, animal crackers, foie gras, seats they pried loose. The last thing I remember was a six year old screaming "Why was she so mean to AnnE Hathaway?" and then I came to in hospital, having been knocked out by a flying sippy cup. I think I'd try to see it again but probably not until it's on iTunes or cable.

by Anonymousreply 216December 20, 2018 12:44 PM

Does one of the Bank's children finally yell at her 'I hate you!' and run off crying? Does Bert start pressing his advantage because he's sick of Mary being a ct and in a PG film and because he's latino he wants at least a little action? Do the children ever play doctor? Does the menu change and they get an appetizer and entrée with the raspberry ice and then some cakes and tea because they're on the Dining Plan and it's a 2 credit Signature restaurant like the California Grill? Or is it a 1 credit buffet like Biergarten and they're stuck eating with strangers because nobody wants to eat there and it's one of the few places they can get a reservation with enough time to eat before Illuminations?

by Anonymousreply 217December 20, 2018 1:15 PM

And forget about the Rose and Crown. No way are they going to get a reservation there. Anyway it's from My Fair Lady.

by Anonymousreply 218December 20, 2018 1:29 PM

lol above::::flying sippy cup, brings bak memories of roy rogers n dale evans matinees on sat bak in 1959

by Anonymousreply 219December 20, 2018 1:33 PM

#217 ur insane

I luv ye

by Anonymousreply 220December 20, 2018 1:34 PM

i hope its a huge flop and Blunt is strapped with this albatross till Krasinski divorces her dry hole.

by Anonymousreply 221December 20, 2018 1:34 PM

Any theater/musical queens, check out Lin and Emily on James Corden. The 3 do a mashup of musicals that is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 222December 20, 2018 2:24 PM

we found it silly, redundant, too lyp sinky, narcissistic and exhausting.

I love james tho, he is amazing. and has the heart of a thespian.

by Anonymousreply 223December 20, 2018 3:03 PM

r202 "Cool" for WHOM, exactly?

by Anonymousreply 224December 20, 2018 3:28 PM

How much money did it make?

by Anonymousreply 225December 20, 2018 4:22 PM

here lazy ass

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226December 20, 2018 4:26 PM

omg her satanic face there says it all. … mary aleister Crowley poppins….

BLESS THE BEASTS AND THE CHILDREN.

RUN KIDS RUN

by Anonymousreply 227December 20, 2018 4:34 PM

the Daily News called it MARY FLOPPINS and said LMM tries to smile through bruised cheeks.

by Anonymousreply 228December 20, 2018 4:53 PM

Why are you lying, r228? The Daily News didn’t say anything of the kind. The worst they said of LMM is that he is a bit too “mild.”

by Anonymousreply 229December 20, 2018 6:15 PM

Streep appears at the movie’s opening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230December 20, 2018 6:21 PM

Glad I saw it, glad I loved it

by Anonymousreply 231December 20, 2018 8:26 PM

I hate cutesy-pie and people who love cutesy-pie.

by Anonymousreply 232December 20, 2018 8:52 PM

How about people who write “cutesy-pie”?

by Anonymousreply 233December 20, 2018 8:55 PM

No one cares what you hate, r232.

Really, you take over threads (as usual) and make it all about your hate for Poppins, and you're just masturbating. Doing it for youself. No one reads it because most have you on “ignore” anyway.

by Anonymousreply 234December 20, 2018 9:56 PM

My 10 year old nephew loves calling her Mary POOP-ins. He hated the movie. They gave away free passes at his Catholic school. My sister took him and said it was pretty dull and that kids were restless. She said if they made Mary Poppins an interactive game where they could shoot at her as she descends from the clouds, kids would love it.

by Anonymousreply 235December 20, 2018 10:05 PM

Damn that's really hateful. Your sis sounds evil.

by Anonymousreply 236December 20, 2018 10:07 PM

On its opening day (19th) it made the same amount of money Spider Man made the day before (18th) on its fifth day of release.

by Anonymousreply 237December 20, 2018 10:14 PM

Emily's attempt at conservative UP is something quite atrocious.

Were no dialect coaches available?

by Anonymousreply 238December 20, 2018 10:30 PM

This thread has become a bore. It's all the same person talking to himself. A monologue on DL is deadly.

by Anonymousreply 239December 21, 2018 12:01 AM

The theater I saw it in had a bus load of Down syndrome kids who all seemed to love it, it appeals to everyone.

by Anonymousreply 240December 21, 2018 12:02 AM

The theatre I saw it in was quite festive until the very end. When Angela Lansbury came on screen, children started screaming and parents had to take them out.

Many cries of "It's a witch! It's an old witch!"

by Anonymousreply 241December 21, 2018 12:06 AM

The theater I saw it at, there were numerous standing ovations and cheering after every musical number. When Angela appeared, several children asked their parents why she didn't play Mame in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 242December 21, 2018 12:29 AM

Ten bonus points for r242!

by Anonymousreply 243December 21, 2018 12:36 AM

Rofl R242

by Anonymousreply 244December 21, 2018 12:37 AM

R205 said : Kids who went to the preview I attended were crying and upset at what was depicted on the screen. Several had to be comforted and taken out of the theater. It seemed very strange the effect the 'magic' had on these children.

So it is a classic Disney film, then !

by Anonymousreply 245December 21, 2018 12:50 AM

The theatre I saw it in was originally a gay porn palace so not only did the audience love it but I shot five loads, boffo!

by Anonymousreply 246December 21, 2018 1:30 AM

"My 10 year old nephew loves calling her Mary POOP-ins. He hated the movie. They gave away free passes at his Catholic school. My sister took him and said it was pretty dull and that kids were restless. "

This. Never. Happened.

by Anonymousreply 247December 21, 2018 3:09 AM

Back to reality for a moment. I saw it tonight and It really is an utterly delightful confection and just what we need in these trying times,

by Anonymousreply 248December 21, 2018 3:43 AM

My four year old nephew said the word “bitch” for the first time in his life when Emily Blunt descended with her umbrella. This movie casts a bad influence on young, developing minds.

by Anonymousreply 249December 21, 2018 3:59 AM

At the screening I went to, a little boy in the row in front of me turned to his mother and asked “Mummy, is Mary Poppins trans?”

by Anonymousreply 250December 21, 2018 4:04 AM

At future screenings Grief Counselors will be available for the nightmares/terrors that children are expected to have as they watch the movie.

by Anonymousreply 251December 21, 2018 7:26 AM

At the theatre I went to, they advertised a trained nurse standing by in case anyone was overcome with nausea. Of course, people came running and the entire performance was sold out.

by Anonymousreply 252December 21, 2018 7:36 AM

Several people in my audience fainted when Mary Poppins performed that spinal tap.

by Anonymousreply 253December 21, 2018 10:19 AM

I cannot believe the choreography during the Two Girls, One Cup number. What were they thinking?

by Anonymousreply 254December 21, 2018 11:43 AM

I liked the revelation that Lin Manuel was the Devil and would save the Banks's house in exchange for one of the children, but I kept thinking that the Sherman Bros. would have had a lot more interesting rhymes for "Mephistopheles."

by Anonymousreply 255December 21, 2018 11:53 AM

Pan from WSJ

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256December 21, 2018 2:34 PM

I thought it was ok but several frau's in the audience had coronaries during the scene where Ben Whishaw starts performing fellatio on Lin-Manuel Miranda

by Anonymousreply 257December 21, 2018 3:37 PM

I liked the scene where Mary walks in on Ben Whishaw masturbating to that shirtless publicity photo of John Krasinski from 13 Hours and she goes, "Cheeky!"

by Anonymousreply 258December 21, 2018 3:56 PM

My precocious nephew was bored and asked if Lin was going to present hole.

by Anonymousreply 259December 21, 2018 5:44 PM

I loved the song “I Ain’t Got Me No Testosteronies”, Lin really sold it during the extended fisting break. Loads of fun!

by Anonymousreply 260December 21, 2018 8:35 PM

[quote] Paddington Bear is a "thing" strictly for the Brits.

????

I loved the Paddington books when I was growing up in Minnesota.

by Anonymousreply 261December 21, 2018 9:34 PM

[quote]Lin Manuel was the Devil and would save the Banks's house in exchange for one of the children

"Take her! Take my baby!"

by Anonymousreply 262December 21, 2018 9:44 PM

At the performance I attended, they had a drag competition beforehand, to see which little boys could do the best Mary Poppins. I was amazed to see 200 little boys line up with their umbrellas and hats stylishly placed on the sides of their heads.

by Anonymousreply 263December 21, 2018 9:51 PM

But Lin-Manuel Miranda is a national treasure! How can he not be box-office gold? What am I missing?

by Anonymousreply 264December 21, 2018 9:56 PM

You're missing the fact that you are humor-challenged, r264. That was pretty weak.

by Anonymousreply 265December 21, 2018 10:08 PM

I still can’t believe Mary used the musical hall number with the animated creatures to “MeToo” Uncle Albert.

by Anonymousreply 266December 21, 2018 10:15 PM

I saw a listing for the movie on a theater chain's website: "Starring Emily Blunt, Dick Van Dyke, and Meryl Streep."

Lin's publicist has some 'splainin' to do.

by Anonymousreply 267December 21, 2018 11:36 PM

I just returned from seeing the movie. I'm in London and saw the movie and was one of 10 in the theater. It was deja vu watching this movie from beginning to end. To be blunt, it was a total rip off from the original. For instance, the chimney sweeps are now gas lamp lighters and even did their dance in the same place in the movie where the chimney sweeps danced in the original movie. The best thing I can say about the movie is that it was pretty with many colors. The scene with Meryl Streep was silly and was too similar to the Bert Lahr / Uncle Albert scene from the original. The movie should have been named, "Mary Poppins Ripoff". 5/10

by Anonymousreply 268December 22, 2018 12:30 AM

I love Ed Wynn in The Wizard of Oz.

by Anonymousreply 269December 22, 2018 12:51 AM

Ed Wynn was almost The Wizard in the Garland Wizard of Oz. The part of The Wizard was first offered to W.C. Fields, who demanded too much money, and then to Wynn, who didn't get the part for the same reason. MGM finally gave the part to MGM contract player Frank Morgan, who turned out to be wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 270December 22, 2018 1:12 AM

Why is this dud up for Oscar consideration?

by Anonymousreply 271December 22, 2018 2:10 AM

R271 It's very wishful thinking by the OP. If it flops, and all indications are it is going to, it isn't going to get a Best Picture nomination.

by Anonymousreply 272December 22, 2018 2:12 AM

R264 As alluded to in other threads, the studios are kissing his ass and sticking him in their movies in the hopes of getting the movie rights to Hamilton. Once he sells the movie rights, expect studio interest in him to end.

by Anonymousreply 273December 22, 2018 2:15 AM

Oscar noms haven't been announced, what are you talking about r271? All films released theatrically during the appropriate time period are eligible for "consideration."

by Anonymousreply 274December 22, 2018 2:15 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275December 22, 2018 2:19 AM

Movie was visually stimulating. The Achilles here was Blunt. She couldn’t deliver the charisma required in a lead role.

by Anonymousreply 276December 22, 2018 2:27 AM

It's out today? Or has it been in theaters for a while?

by Anonymousreply 277December 22, 2018 2:30 AM

Saw it this week. Not a fan of the original so not a fan of this one. That said, most of the people in the audience (it was a SAG screening) loved it. Lin Manuel (who defines the word "Unctious" was better than I would have thought but he still turns my stomach. Of course they had to give him what was as close to a rap number as they could get away with. But I was bored through a lot of it (that lamplighter number went on forever!) yet I can appreciate what it looked like visually. Blunt, I thought, did very well, but was a bit cold in the part. Not her fault she had to follow Julie. It was fun seeing Dick Van Dyke, even if his accent was even worse this time, and the ending just was too cute for words. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 278December 22, 2018 2:39 AM

At least DVD isn’t doing a Cockney accent this time. I thought what he came up with was fine.

by Anonymousreply 279December 22, 2018 3:56 AM

[quote]the scene where Ben Whishaw starts performing fellatio on Lin-Manuel Miranda

That went over fine in my audience, but the coprophilia scene later was too much. The fact that it was being performed by animated penguins only partially mitigated the disgust factor.

by Anonymousreply 280December 22, 2018 4:01 AM

R116, who is this Matt A troll and does it only stick to this thread?

by Anonymousreply 281December 22, 2018 4:48 AM

I thought you guys were being too harsh, but I saw it tonight, and it really is a disaster. They took all the classic moments from the original movie, replicated them and dumbed them down. This isn’t a sequel, it’s a Xerox. I guess every generation needs it’s own Return To Oz.

by Anonymousreply 282December 22, 2018 6:17 AM

R216, They were throwing fois gras at my screening too. At least I hope it was fois gras.

by Anonymousreply 283December 22, 2018 6:29 AM

Blunt is not leading lady material. She has too much of a 'soft' presence on screen.

by Anonymousreply 284December 22, 2018 8:56 AM

R216 is the painted British clown who hates Blunt. You can tell because he says "in hospital."

by Anonymousreply 285December 22, 2018 9:00 AM

[quote]They were throwing fois gras at my screening too.

At my screening they were throwing Porterhouse steaks and used condoms. And that was just the children.

by Anonymousreply 286December 22, 2018 9:01 AM

R285. We ALL hate Blunt!

by Anonymousreply 287December 22, 2018 9:02 AM

No actually WE all don't. Only the painted British clown with the screechy voice and our own insane aspie, Matt the Loon, hate her.

by Anonymousreply 288December 22, 2018 9:05 AM

I’m really disappointed in the movie’s pro Hard Brexit stance. There were several audible boos in the audience when Mary used her wind power to blow the Polish housecleaners of Cherry Tree Lane back to the Continent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289December 22, 2018 9:10 AM

"Wind goes take my lady!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290December 22, 2018 9:15 AM

Mary Poppins glorifies getting high.

by Anonymousreply 291December 22, 2018 9:17 AM

You completely misread that scene, r289. It was actually a gaggle of Polish lesbians, and Mary Poppins was saving the children from being exposed to alternative lifestyles at too early an age.

Which is what makes the scene where their father Michael services Jack's long lighting-pole so poignant.

by Anonymousreply 292December 22, 2018 9:19 AM

Will this be the first film to get both Oscar and Razzie nominations for Actress?

by Anonymousreply 293December 22, 2018 9:29 AM

Does Harvard have a School Shooting Survivor Scholarship?

by Anonymousreply 294December 22, 2018 9:39 AM

I liked that Mary confronted Cousin Topsy about her enabling of sex pest Uncle Albert. The audience applauded when Mary snapped her fingers and melted Topsy’s prized gold statuette and the music score went “ whomp whomp.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295December 22, 2018 10:24 AM

Like Emily Blunt ! Loved her in The Devil Wears Prada and Young Victoria

by Anonymousreply 296December 22, 2018 10:55 AM

[quote]The audience applauded when Mary snapped her fingers and melted Topsy’s prized gold statuette

I've played that scene over and over on my SAG screener!

by Anonymousreply 297December 22, 2018 11:00 AM

Emily Blunt is on the Barefoot Contessa this a.m. to promote this train wreck....

by Anonymousreply 298December 22, 2018 12:10 PM

Saw it last night and loved it, but they could have cut the whole bukkake scene down to about 3 minutes instead of 5:05.

by Anonymousreply 299December 22, 2018 12:19 PM

[quote][R264] As alluded to in other threads, the studios are kissing his ass and sticking him in their movies in the hopes of getting the movie rights to Hamilton. Once he sells the movie rights, expect studio interest in him to end.

Hamilton would flop as a film, just like Phantom and Les Miz did. Do they really think that young audiences will go see a political musical?

by Anonymousreply 300December 22, 2018 4:14 PM

Les Mis did $444 million worldwide

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301December 22, 2018 4:38 PM

And what was the worldwide marketing budget?

by Anonymousreply 302December 22, 2018 4:43 PM

I'm not sure there's going to be a studio film of Hamilton. The producers made a pro shot HD video of the show with the original cast which is being held back until the show closes on Broadway or for at least a few more years. PBS did a documentary on Hamilton that uses clips from it.

by Anonymousreply 303December 22, 2018 4:58 PM

Oh, look, M's not dropping a hint about her Norma Desmond.

Face it, bitch, neither one of us gets to play it on film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304December 22, 2018 8:48 PM

its so cloyingly sweet, I had a diabetic attack....

blunt does herself no favors on talk shows, her evil eye and tongue is intact, but not in a fun way. I pity her poor hubby, she mus be so dom with him...

by Anonymousreply 305December 22, 2018 11:39 PM

You’re so boring, Loon. Just the same thing, over and over. Don’t you have any variety innyour repertoire?

by Anonymousreply 306December 23, 2018 3:44 AM

[quote]its so cloyingly sweet, I had a diabetic attack....

Too bad it didn’t put you in a coma.

by Anonymousreply 307December 23, 2018 3:45 AM

Mary Poppins -- know for decades as a proper, but warm soprano -- is now being portrayed by a frigid alto. What could go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 308December 23, 2018 3:58 AM

Not a fan of Mary Poppins. Or Emily Blunt.

by Anonymousreply 309December 23, 2018 5:11 AM

How about Bedknobs and Broomsticks?

by Anonymousreply 310December 23, 2018 5:32 AM

Angela has refused to talk about B&B except in one single interview in which she deflected from answering questions except to make clear it wasn't a an experience she wished to discuss.

by Anonymousreply 311December 23, 2018 5:50 AM

Angela has been quoted as saying she wished Julie hadn’t turned Bedknobs and Broomsticks down, because the whole thing was “garbage.”

by Anonymousreply 312December 23, 2018 5:58 AM

Angela is the one joyous thing in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 313December 23, 2018 7:12 PM

Angela was so incontinent during filming, they had to change her diaper after ever other take.

by Anonymousreply 314December 23, 2018 10:39 PM

R282 we should be so lucky.

Return to Oz is a CLASSIC

by Anonymousreply 315December 25, 2018 12:21 AM

The Lamplighters look like the Tiki Torch dudes from the Charlottesville riots

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316December 25, 2018 2:53 AM

Online Film Critics excludes Mary Poppins Returns from all categories including Best Actress

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317December 26, 2018 4:27 PM

Poor r317. Those nominations are meaningless, as they always are. The list of nominees is telling.

by Anonymousreply 318December 26, 2018 7:32 PM

It's weird to me how vested some people are in seeing this thing bomb. It's a movie.

by Anonymousreply 319December 26, 2018 7:45 PM

Blunts farting alone should disqualify her from all award shows.

bitch can clear a whole row with a big rip...

must be why john wears a gas mask to their outings...

by Anonymousreply 320December 27, 2018 1:28 AM

Unless someone owns Disney stock, who cares if it flops or makes a billion dollars?

by Anonymousreply 321December 27, 2018 1:38 AM

They invested a shitload in this bomb. when has blunt had a bona fide hit???

Bumblee made more internationally than Mary.

by Anonymousreply 322December 27, 2018 3:59 PM

Mary Poppins Returns snubbed by PGA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323January 4, 2019 5:40 PM

I saw it. It sucked. My kids hated it too. Not one song that I remembered right after it was sung. Way too long. I would have left about half an hour in if I didn't have kids in tow.

by Anonymousreply 324January 4, 2019 6:10 PM

Saw it yesterday. It was more enjoyable than I expected, but the songs are mostly meh, Blunt is very arch and can't really deliver the humor, and Miranda's performance is of the "look at me, look at me!" variety (plus he can just barely carry a tune). The music hall number was fun, but completely out of character for Poppins.

Streep looked like a P-town relic in that horrid orange wig. Frankly, Ben Whishaw was one of the best things in the film, and the three kids were delightful.

by Anonymousreply 325January 7, 2019 10:51 PM

The entire audience stood up 10 minutes in and fled the theater screaming when I saw it.

by Anonymousreply 326January 7, 2019 11:31 PM

Saw it Christmas Day. I enjoyed it. It seems to be in the profit margin (not factoring in marketing)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327January 8, 2019 12:10 AM

Disney is going to be in trouble when Aladdin flops right after Mary Poppins flopped. They better hope that The Lion King smashes.

by Anonymousreply 328January 8, 2019 12:20 AM

R328 - it has made $250 million and its budget was $130 million. There will be another sequel in the works.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329January 8, 2019 12:24 AM

Latest numbers: Domestic = $166,771,840 Foreign = $153,982,913 for a worldwide total of $320,754,753 for a film with a $130,000,000 production budget. So however bad the reviews (or some of the reviews) may have been, it is now nearly $200 million in the black.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330February 3, 2019 2:30 AM

Do we have to go through the financials again?

by Anonymousreply 331February 3, 2019 5:10 AM

Jesus R330 you must be the only one who doesn't know that studios only recoup 50% of the domestic gross and much less on the international gross.

by Anonymousreply 332February 3, 2019 12:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!