Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Christmas in Honolulu/Oahu

Going with my family to escape memories of the loss of my mom last December through January. My dad was stationed there while he was in the Navy before going to Vietnam and he has always wanted to go back, so this is a big thing for him. He is 70, and my sister and brother in law are planning everything, but any tips about Xmas in Hawaii?

by Anonymousreply 65December 26, 2018 3:33 AM

Hawaii is very racist against white people and exceedingly homophobic. The food sucks and it’s ridiculously expensive, too. That said, it’s one of the most beautiful places in the world (esp Honolulu and the big island), so if you know these things going in you can have a great time. I hope you do.

by Anonymousreply 1December 12, 2018 5:42 AM

I had a great time there in January. We expected to be treated strangely, but weren't.

LOTS of starchy foods. I confess the guava cake was good! Poi is ok.

by Anonymousreply 2December 12, 2018 6:00 AM

R1 Fortunately, none of us is planning to attend a white power or gay pride rally while in Hawaii over Christmas, so the identity politics likely won’t come into play very much. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 3December 12, 2018 6:11 AM

Try the Poke (seasoned raw tuna or ahi). Just make sure it's fresh and from a reputable place.

by Anonymousreply 4December 12, 2018 6:22 AM

Raw? Now I’m worried...

by Anonymousreply 5December 12, 2018 6:26 AM

R4 Oh, I’m glad to see it isn’t made with vinegar...I will try it.

by Anonymousreply 6December 12, 2018 6:28 AM

If you need to save money and your dad has a vet ID, try to get on one of the bases or go to one of the off base military housing gas stations to buy gas, It will be cheaper, but he will have to show his ID at the gas station first. I don't know if they accept vet IDs, but you can ask first. Gas In the city runs $3.39^

R1 is right. The Philippinos act like they own and run the island and the fat Samoans are openly homophobic and racist. HAOLE isn't a compliment.

by Anonymousreply 7December 12, 2018 6:47 AM

We went and my son wiped out in a surfing contest, a massive spider invaded our hotel room and our three sons were tied up and held against their will by some freak.

by Anonymousreply 8December 12, 2018 6:56 AM

Most of this is not encouraging.

Perhaps I should have known better than to ask for advice here.

:(

by Anonymousreply 9December 12, 2018 6:58 AM

r9 Its not that bad. I doubt you will be spending much time interacting with the locals. Where is your hotel located and what are your plans for your stay? How many days?

by Anonymousreply 10December 12, 2018 7:03 AM

I spent Christmas with family in Honolulu over a decade ago. It was great fun and wonderful to experience great weather instead of snow. As in most places, everything is closed on Christmas day. Plan to spend it at the beach and dining at your hotel.

by Anonymousreply 11December 12, 2018 7:05 AM

Don't worry. You will be fine. We were treated well. We swam with spinner dolphins (at an extremely respectful distance), sea turtles. We swam with sharks. The last day we took a helicopter trip over the island. We were at Aulani's luau (yes, that is a Disney resort) but we were with family. It was fun.

by Anonymousreply 12December 12, 2018 7:07 AM

R10 It’s in Oahu somewhere...I honestly have no more detail than that. My brother in law has OCD and he and my sister plan everything obsessively and I am laissez-faire about it. I am literslly going along for the ride because there is no point in causing tension by asking questions about their choices. Not on Christmas and not when the whole point is family bonding over our first holiday without my mom. This trip is very expensive for me as a city dweller with a single income as opposed to my dad with fixed retirement costs and my sister’s dual-income suburban lifestyle, and I have already seemingly rocked the boat a little by telling them I have to opt out of some of their excursions...on top of the flight and hotel costs, they’re tacking on hundreds of dollars almost every single day for outings and it’s honestly kind of freaking me out. As I said, my dad has wanted to go back since he was in the Navy, and so that is my justification for doing this but it is really going to hurt me financially and I am stressed about it but trying not to be a cheap asshole. So my approach is to try to be zen outwardly.

We’re going to be there for about a week and a half, from I think 12/21 until 12/30.

by Anonymousreply 13December 12, 2018 7:10 AM

Tourist PSA - If you rent a convertible, lock your personal belongings in the trunk or a lockable glove box... better yet, take them with you.

by Anonymousreply 14December 12, 2018 7:10 AM

OP, are you a gay guy. If so, the city has some fun bars.

by Anonymousreply 15December 12, 2018 7:16 AM

R15 Yes, but I’m not going there to hook up with anyone.

by Anonymousreply 16December 12, 2018 7:17 AM

OP, your sister is a cheap cunt. She should treat you to some of the things you can't afford.

by Anonymousreply 17December 12, 2018 7:18 AM

R17 No, she’s not.

by Anonymousreply 18December 12, 2018 7:21 AM

Yes, she is. If she knows you are being squeezed and doesn't care.

by Anonymousreply 19December 12, 2018 7:22 AM

I opened this can of worms myself last year. We lost my mom over the holidays and I did not want to be in my parents’ house during Christmas this year. Our Ancestry DNA test revealed unexpected Swiss ancestry and so I tossed out an idea of going to see Christmas markets in Switzerland so we wouldn’t have to be home. Everyone said they loved the idea.

I was imagining a few days sitting around drinking mulled wine and looking at the Alps, maybe a train ride. Next thing I knew, my sis sent an itinerary for a two-week-long bus tour across Austria and Germany. It was lots of time and lots of money and not at all what I had in mind. When she pressed me for a response, I told her being trapped in a bus for two weeks with old people touring the Nazi hinterlands was not what I had in mind. Then I felt like a jerk.

Then my dad said Hawaii and everyone was like, OK. We can do that. And so it goes.

I am honestly looking forward to it. I am not a tropical island person AT ALL, but I do love nature and I am really excited that my dad will get to go back to one of the places he loved most. We all need a big distraction. It’s been the worst year on record for my family.

by Anonymousreply 20December 12, 2018 7:27 AM

HI can be fun, especially with the resurgence in Tiki bars (hopefully you drink). And there are good restaurants as well. Check out sites like Chowhound, although it sounds like your sister has picked the dining already, and probably ordered your meals.

by Anonymousreply 21December 12, 2018 7:33 AM

R21 She is not! I love my whole family. We’re just all very different. I am a gay city person on a limited budget who likes to go somewhere and wander around, and they’re suburban and beach people who have greater resources (or maybe are just less cheap) and like to schedule every hour of every day checking landmark sights off a to-do list. I think we actually offset one another pretty well, really, but I am an anxious person by nature and I do worry about the spending. But it’ll be fine. We will probably end up splitting up during some days and I will just wander around beaches or wherever while they do guided bus tours of landmarks and pineapple factories and stuff. Everyone is different!

by Anonymousreply 22December 12, 2018 7:42 AM

You seem so sweet OP. I lost my mom last year two days before Christmas. Hope you and your family have a lovely time in HI.

by Anonymousreply 23December 12, 2018 7:47 AM

Thank you, R23. <3

by Anonymousreply 24December 12, 2018 7:49 AM

There are many options here. Try hiking up to Diamond Head or Koko Head (Obama did this one. However if you're in good shape, it'd be a few hours). Dine in many of the cheap local eateries (called Drive-ins) and the plate lunches are pretty filling - just starchy as previous poster stated. Shave ice, Leonard's malasadas are treats all near to Waikiki. Enjoy!

Caution: do everything you can to avoid work traffic! It's worse than L.A.!

by Anonymousreply 25December 12, 2018 7:56 AM

R13 A whole week vacation? You lucky bastard!

Did your sister book you guys on one of those Booze cruises that go out along the shoreline at night? I always wanted to do that when I lived there, but I wasn't old enough.

The H3 used to be the fastest and least congested highway to go to the north shore, but the Like like highway and Pali highway have the most beautiful views.

Take a couple of long sleeve shirts, it gets chilly at night this time of year, especially along the shoreline.

by Anonymousreply 26December 12, 2018 7:57 AM

Go to ABC stores for gifts to bring back. They are everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 27December 12, 2018 8:00 AM

Even though OP was a cunt to me for merely telling the truth as someone who lived there, two more thoughts.

The macadamia nuts and Kona coffee are incredible. If you have time to go to Kona itself, do it. Surreal and very Carmel-ish in its way.

Also, the only place I’ve seen flagrant car theft out on the streets multiple times, in Downton Honolulu. Do NOT rent a car, especially if you are white. Uber only.

by Anonymousreply 28December 12, 2018 8:09 AM

Thanks, R28. I love coffee and will be sure to fill my suitcase with some good stuff. :)

by Anonymousreply 29December 12, 2018 8:13 AM

Bishop Museum is unbelievably cool if you want to find out more about the islands and people. This entire gallery is made of koa wood, and has ku gods and the fishhook the Hawaiians believe an ancient hero used to pull the islands off the seafloor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 12, 2018 8:40 AM

Also in Honolulu, the Iolani Palace, America's only royal abode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 12, 2018 8:42 AM

Cool, thanks, R30/31. We are all interested in the pre-US Hawaiian culture.

by Anonymousreply 32December 12, 2018 8:44 AM

Also, musubi are a great snack and triangular versions are available everywhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 12, 2018 8:44 AM

Here you know that Christmas will be green and bright -- the sun to shine by day and all the stars by night.

by Anonymousreply 34December 12, 2018 8:56 AM

Do they know you’re gay?

by Anonymousreply 35December 12, 2018 12:22 PM

OP, post pics to DL of your whole fam in grass skirts & coconut shell tits, or this didnt happen.

by Anonymousreply 36December 12, 2018 12:59 PM

Given your father's military background, you must go to my favorite hidden treasure museum, the US Army museum. Though your dad was in the Navy I'm sure everyone will enjoy it - - it's free, smack in the middle of Waikiki, usually empty of tourists, and adjacent to a beach frequented by military families. And of course, the Pearl Harbor Museums are interesting, powerfully sad, and 15 minutes from downtown Honolulu. Uber everywhere, and if excursioning to the lovely North Shore (the other side of the island is only a half hour away), the tacky Dole Pineapple Plantation is on the way and its fabulous gift shop is all you need to see, and it's great for souvenirs. And the luau at the lovely Disney resort is expensive but worth it. Aloha.

by Anonymousreply 37December 12, 2018 1:05 PM

Visit Shangri La... Doris Duke’s spectacular house below Diamond Head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 12, 2018 1:31 PM

An absolute must is to have sunset cocktails at “House Without a Key” at the Halekulani Hotel.

A super classy taste of old Hawaii before Waikiki became so crowded. The view of Diamond Head is picture postcard perfect and the hula dancing is beautiful and totally authentic, not some tacky show.

Also their Mai Tais are the best I’ve ever tasted and made with totally fresh juice and house made syrups, not the high fructose corn syrup and artificial flavors you get at so many other places in Hawaii these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 12, 2018 1:37 PM

A day on the North Shore is well worth the drive. It’s beautiful and watching the surfers at Pipeline, Sunset Beach, and Waimea Bay really is incredible. The waves in December will be huge.

by Anonymousreply 40December 12, 2018 1:41 PM

If you are into christmas decorations, they are abundant. Drive through downtown Honolulu in the evening - it is really quite beautiful this time of year.

Definitely check to see if any of the hotels are offering local musician shows. Some incredibly talented people doing some incredibly wonderful music.

by Anonymousreply 41December 12, 2018 1:45 PM

I can second the suggestions of Iolani Palace and Bishop Museum. Terrific places. Bishop Museum has a planetarium. Also, sunset drinks at the "High Calonic" and sunrise on Diamond Head (drive it don't hike it and lock your car). Honolulu has a very fun Christmas Day parade. It's a beautiful place and there ARE a lot of nice people. Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 42December 12, 2018 2:07 PM

Yes, all the rental cars have a Z as a first character on their license plates...so the thieves know who the tourists are.

Buy your booze at the ABC store too.

by Anonymousreply 43December 12, 2018 2:13 PM

To be honest, I preferred your initial idea about Switzerland. The markets and atmosphere would be absolutely beautiful this time of year, plus you have a ancestral connection . I myself have always wanted to visit. Though I'm sure Hawaii will be nice too.

by Anonymousreply 44December 12, 2018 2:19 PM

It's been a few years since I was there, but I used to love Helena's for Hawaiian food. Check their website as they have limited hours and only take cash. Everybody raves about Matsumoto in Haleiwa, but the best shave ice I found was at Waiola Store in Moiliili, which saves you a trip to the North Shore. Eggs 'n Things has great breakfasts, but it's very popular, so expect to wait. Alas, Hamburger Mary's is long gone.

Ala Moana Center used to be a great place to kill an afternoon (and check out the cute local boys) but it's been over-commercialized (who needs to go to Hawaii to shop at Bloomingdale's, Neiman-Marcus, Macy's, and Nordstrom?) although the Japanese department store Shirokiya was always interesting. It's been relocated since I was there and I have no idea if it's still worthwhile.

For some reason I always got a kick out of riding the little monorail at Pealridge Mall.

I'm as white as they come and I was always treated very nicely. I would go over for business a few times a year (and rent a car) and never had a problem. I also had no problem meeting local boys for sex, but as the song lyric goes, 'I was younger then'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 12, 2018 2:24 PM

Some things that I would spend money to do if it were my first time in Honolulu would be Pearl Harbor, a luau (I've done the Paradise Cove luau a couple of times), and maybe the Polynesian Cultural Center. But there are lots of things to do that cost little or nothing. Iolani Palace is worth a visit. Definitely hike to the top of Diamond Head if you're up to it. Snorkel at Hanauma Bay. You can rent snorkel gear at Snorkel Bob's on Kapahulu Ave. Drive the Pali Highway to the Nuuanu Pali Lookout for an incredible view. Drive along the North Shore. Stop at Matsumoto's for shave ice and at the Dole Plantation for a pineapple whip and other pineapple treats. There's a fireworks show on Waikiki every Friday night. As R45 mentioned, Eggs 'n Things is good for breakfast, but crowded. They just opened another one in Ko Olina, but unless you're staying at one of the resorts out there you're better off trying the one in Waikiki. Shirokiya, the Japanese department store in Ala Moana, has a great food court with all kinds of Japanese food. La Mariana Sailing Club is a good tiki bar and restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 46December 12, 2018 2:38 PM

[quote] I don't know if they accept vet IDs, but you can ask first. Gas In the city runs $3.39

What's a vet ID? You can't access military benefits (like buying gas on a base or shopping at the commissary/PX) unless your dad is active duty or retired military. Ordinary vets don't qualify.

Don't let your dad hook up with some pretty local or you will be witnessing your inheritance flying out the window. Keep him occupied and accompanied. Trust me on this.

by Anonymousreply 47December 12, 2018 4:41 PM

Go to Lanikai Beach

by Anonymousreply 48December 12, 2018 5:03 PM

Another vote for La Mariana Sailing Club! We ate there, fantastic food. Even drinks for sober bores, like me, were great. A relative took a picture right as we were driving away and it really looks like a postcard.

by Anonymousreply 49December 12, 2018 5:22 PM

And now for some comic relief, Merry Christmas from Jordan Peele as Obama:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 13, 2018 2:46 AM

[quote] Also in Honolulu, the Iolani Palace, America's only royal abode

A few blocks away, you can tour the Honolulu City Christmas lights. It's a nice little stroll through the state capital and city hall areas, where you can get your holiday fix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 13, 2018 3:06 PM

Your family should visit the Westin Moana Surfrider hotel for Christmas dinner.

It's right along Waikiki Beach, but it's a bit pricey. $120 per person.

But the view is spectacular and the food is really good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 13, 2018 3:09 PM

The Kahala Resort also has a good buffet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 13, 2018 3:12 PM

Whoever suggested Ala Moana mall was right.

It's an expansive shopping center with nearly 400 stores and shops, from major retail outlets to smaller specialty stores.

You could spend an entire day there, and just get lost in the shopping and the food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 13, 2018 3:17 PM

I know op didn't want to go to a gay bar, but if you feel like having a drink with other gay people, there's a nice open air bar called Hula's.

It's across the street from the Honolulu Zoo, and it's very casual. Good for an afternoon cocktail.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55December 13, 2018 3:21 PM

Update from the OP...staying at Waikiki with a gorgeous view of the ocean and the tree canopy over the zoo. The weather is incredible, and everything has been lovely with one exception: my family pressured me to do a “circle bus tour” of Oahu yesterday and it was HELL. I was dreading it but went along for the ride because it was important to everyone. It was ten times worse than I worried. Nine hours inside a bus. A baby screeched the entire time. The driver SCREAMED factoids incessantly, often repeating himself just to have something to keep jabbering about. We’d stop, he’d tell us to take five minutes for photos and then yell at us to get in the bus. We have plenty of souvenir photos with ncie backdrops that could have been taken in a studio. Every stop all I wanted was to be outside experiencing the natural wonder—instead, nine hours inside a freezing tour bus with dualing baby shrieks/driver blabber over a loud speaker. If you come here, DO NOT DO IT.

by Anonymousreply 56December 25, 2018 5:30 PM

I've been to four different Islands mainly for hiking but I didn't spend enough time on Oahu. Wouldn't mind going back. Hawaii is expensive especially after adding parking and resort fees.

Did you hike up Diamond Head, Op?

by Anonymousreply 57December 25, 2018 5:39 PM

OP is you're that close to the zoo, you should really enjoy Hula's like r55 recommended. Great to just chill on nice afternoons, talk to random interesting people, have a drink, relax.

by Anonymousreply 58December 25, 2018 5:39 PM

OP's too kind for DL.

by Anonymousreply 59December 25, 2018 6:16 PM

True, R59, but I’m too kind for this world so watchagonnado? MELE KALIKIMAKA!!

by Anonymousreply 60December 25, 2018 6:24 PM

R59 OP is a weakling who cannot say no. But be sure to check out your history how your government destroyed the Islands

by Anonymousreply 61December 25, 2018 6:38 PM

[quote]…But be sure to check out your history how your government destroyed the Islands

It wasn't the government that destroyed the Islands, it was the fucking Samoans. They seemingly exist just to steal from other people and collect welfare. I lived in Honolulu for two years, and the only major problems I ever had were directly related to Samoans.

by Anonymousreply 62December 25, 2018 6:57 PM

R62 Historically love, I mean the history, not your current racism

by Anonymousreply 63December 25, 2018 8:22 PM

Hawaii, Kula. One day . . .

by Anonymousreply 64December 25, 2018 9:06 PM

Same R64

by Anonymousreply 65December 26, 2018 3:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!