Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why doesn't Ryan Murphy use anyone from Nip/Tuck?

Is anyone else surprised? Famke would've been perfect for American Horror Story.

by Anonymousreply 48December 25, 2018 11:10 PM

I think he’s moved far away from that series. He never even mentions or discusses it.

Seems like a series he stopped caring about after season 2 or 3 and it showed in the quality.

by Anonymousreply 1December 10, 2018 9:41 PM

He used Jessalyn Gilsig for “Glee.”

Sarah Paulson also guest starred on “Nip/Tuck.”

by Anonymousreply 2December 10, 2018 9:44 PM

Leslie Grossman was on his series “Popular” and he used her as a recurring Guest on a season of Nip/Tuck and she’s now on AHS.

I always wondered why he never used any other “Popular” actresses, like Leslie Bibb, Carley Pope or Sara Rue.

The very hot Bryce Johnson from Popular was used for an episode of Glee. And that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 3December 10, 2018 9:59 PM

Leslie Bibb played a CARVER victim (90% sure) in one or two episodes.

by Anonymousreply 4December 10, 2018 10:11 PM

R4, you are correct. Also, R3, Bryce Johnson played a closeted gay man that fucked Quentin the Carver, if I recall correctly.

by Anonymousreply 5December 10, 2018 11:39 PM

R5 I still don't get how Quentin was the Carver all these years later.

by Anonymousreply 6December 11, 2018 12:17 AM

Quentin AND his sister were the Carver. She was a police detective so could cover up and set things up so they wouldn’t be found out (until they were).

by Anonymousreply 7December 11, 2018 12:44 AM

R7 Was Kit pretending to be British? That story arch was so poorly executed.

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2018 8:01 PM

Famke deserved to have a bigger career.

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2018 8:02 PM

OMG Leslie Bibb is Sam Rockwell's attention-thirsty wife. I just put that together.

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2018 8:08 PM

Didn't Quentin's character not have a cock?

I always thought they should have made Liz "The Carver." It would have made a ton of sense. I loved that storyline back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2018 8:09 PM

The first time I ever saw Julian McMahon was in some goofy beach movie and he had a great body with a thick thatch of chest hair. Looked so hot! I don't think Nip/Tuck ever really showed him to advantage, but I thought he'd get some work out of it. He turned 50 this year, so he's still relatively young but doesn't seem to do much these days.

by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2018 8:09 PM

R12 Doesn't he come from money? I

by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2018 8:13 PM

His father was an Australian prime minster, IIRC, but I'm sure he'd still like a good acting job or two.

by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2018 8:17 PM

He could always go back to shitty Home and Away in a Speedo. That's about where his acting level resides.

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2018 9:02 PM

R15 Joley was the weak link on that show.

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2018 9:15 PM

R16 Dear there were SEVERAL weak links on that clusterfuck show. Let's not get into a pissing contest over which one sucked more.

by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2018 9:31 PM

Dude used to look like Michael Jackson, now he looks like Rose #metoo McGowan. He's always creeped me out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2018 9:38 PM

I always found him creepy also.

by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2018 10:09 PM

Kimber deserved a bigger career. She was stunning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2018 10:23 PM

R15 I'm sure Home & Away would be happy to have him.

by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2018 11:23 PM

Kimber couldn’t act.

by Anonymousreply 22December 14, 2018 1:06 AM

Nip/Tuck was my guilty pleasure. You just reminded me how scorching Kimber was. Julian McMahon Could have been in Mad Men. He would have been good in the John Hamm role.

by Anonymousreply 23December 14, 2018 1:17 AM

No. Julian McMahon is a fine actor but he is no Don Draper.

Hamm was born to be Draper. McMahon wouldn’t have worked. He also isn’t as easily appealing

by Anonymousreply 24December 14, 2018 1:19 AM

McMahon doesn't seem to have aged very well. And there is always something funky going on with his eyebrows. Too overplucked maybe.

by Anonymousreply 25December 14, 2018 1:48 AM

I personally never found McMahon attractive. Never. Jon Hamm is someone who even if you don’t wanna fuck him you can see what’s appealing about him. No one finds him completely unattractive.

McMahon isn’t the same.

by Anonymousreply 26December 14, 2018 1:52 AM

I've always wondered the same thing OP. I wonder if the cast who doesn't do much these days are bitter they don't get used.

by Anonymousreply 27December 14, 2018 2:04 AM

How the fuck old was Matt supposed to be? I think the show jumped the first shark when he got pissed on by a roving band of vigilante trannies.

by Anonymousreply 28December 17, 2018 7:36 PM

Frankenlaura was the creepiest episode

by Anonymousreply 29December 17, 2018 7:37 PM

I’m really surprised he’s never had Famke on American Horror Story. Murphy was actually developing a series for her to star in just before he created AHS. He even took Famke as his date to the Emmys one year.

by Anonymousreply 30December 17, 2018 7:49 PM

Famke is a terrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 31December 17, 2018 7:52 PM

I loved the storyline with "James" and Sanaa Latham. It was so creepy and hot.

And remember when Liz's girlfriend was Alanis Morrisette who was verbally abusing her?

by Anonymousreply 32December 17, 2018 7:57 PM

NIP/TUCK was partially amazing for being flawlessly cast. Each and every performer just seemed perfect in their role.

I read for the role of Sofia, and when I was leaving I saw Jonathan Del Arco (who got the part) sitting quietly alone. I remember I felt kind of sad for him because he didn't look great in drag, and he hadn't made much of an effort whereas I was all glammed up.

HOW LITTLE WE KNOW! He was really good in that part, and that's exactly how it should be played.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 17, 2018 8:03 PM

Julia was such an annoying cunt yet every man on this show found her irresistible.

by Anonymousreply 34December 20, 2018 8:00 PM

Famke was great as the shy nerd turned femme fatale alien in The Faculty.

by Anonymousreply 35December 20, 2018 8:31 PM

R35 she was the teacher. Not some nerdy student.

by Anonymousreply 36December 20, 2018 8:41 PM

[quote]Leslie Grossman was on his series “Popular” and he used her as a recurring Guest on a season of Nip/Tuck and she’s now on AHS. I always wondered why he never used any other “Popular” actresses, like Leslie Bibb, Carley Pope or Sara Rue.

There's a definite divide between before Glee and after Glee with his casting decisions.

To her credit it, seems like Leslie Grossman never actually lost contact with him over the past few years. She was also a guest on The New Normal and he offered her the AHS part via text the year before.

You have to keep up with your business contacts like in any other field and if you keep saying no to your party invites then eventually people will stop asking you.

by Anonymousreply 37December 20, 2018 9:01 PM

I want to say Murphy burned bridges with most of the main cast of Nip/Tuck when he jumped ship for Glee and kinda checked out of the show. As someone mentioned, you could really tell. I remember hearing somewhere that Julian, Dylan, and Joely weren't thrilled with him as the writing staff kept sacrificing their characters to plant them into these increasingly ridiculous storylines.

Sure, the show was always soapy, but it was fairly realistic for the first 2/3 seasons. I remember the big quality drop in season 4 where they tried to make up for it by having big name guest stars on every episode. It started to feel like a darker Love Boat. I remember they even got Catherine Deneuve at some point. The show stopped making sense and when they moved to L.A., it REALLY stopped making sense.

It was a shame, too, because it really was a beautifully cast and acted show. The first few seasons were wonderfully written, deeply funny, scandalous, and even moving at times. I sometimes rewatch the first 3 seasons and pretend like the rest never happened.

I also feel like it was one of those first shows in the new wave of TV (along with The Sopranos and Six Feet Under) that weren't afraid for their characters to be downright unlikable at times. They were complicated and flawed, but deeply human. It's stunning how they could make someone like narcissist Christian, whiny Julia, or holier-than-thou Sean into full, complicated, likable characters at times.

by Anonymousreply 38December 20, 2018 9:40 PM

I hated LA. Omg. They made the show ridiculous with that prime time soap storyline etc.

I remember Melissa Gilbert being on an episode and her nipple needed to be reattached cause her dog big it off as she would use her dog for sex.

by Anonymousreply 39December 20, 2018 11:47 PM

I loved this show. Sadly, it appears to have been the pinnacle of Ryan's work IMO. I do not dislike his other series for the most part, but he never really achieved this same level of novel artistry ever again. Part of what made this show work was that he REALLY did his medical research. Later plots were over the top, but the first 3/4 seasons were spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 40December 21, 2018 12:06 AM

I think it was Murphy's best, too. It followed the same template as Six Feet Under (whichever person was on the slab/operating table that week relates to some issue in one or all of the character's lives), but Murphy made it his own and came up with some truly interesting, deeply human characters you were fascinated and semi-repulsed by. It worked for 2/3 seasons and then you could tell he was getting bored, restless, and wanting to jump ship.

For all it's flaws, those first few seasons were easily the most cohesive and least "busy" of all of Murphy's work.

by Anonymousreply 41December 21, 2018 12:36 AM

R31 I imagine someone appreciates her acting as she's still working in her mid 50s.

It's mildly surprising she's had a Hollywood career at all given all the factors she's had stacked against her: Bond Girl, first hit after 30, former top model, 6 ft tall, foreign, odd name.

by Anonymousreply 42December 21, 2018 1:13 AM

Wentworth Miller was on "Popular." He would have been perfect for the Gay Warlock coven in AHS: Apocalypse.

by Anonymousreply 43December 21, 2018 1:29 AM

It is interesting to see who Murphy keeps employing over and over again. I always thought Dylan Walsh was really great on Nip/Tuck. He did so many stupid things, but he has this really sweet puppy dog quality that made you just want to hug him. I thought he was always the most consistently wonderful actor on that show. Julian could be quite good when he was given a good storyline and Joely was really great at times, too. I always liked her more in that season 2 episode where Famke was the angel of death and showed Julia what he life could have been like if she'd stayed with Christian. She was icy and cold there and I think that fit her performance style better. She always did this annoying shaking thing in big emotional scenes like she was freezing or about to have a heart attack. I always wanted someone to slap her.

Vanessa Redgrave and Famke were my favorite guest stars on the show. I LOVED their characters. Such strange, complicated women. I've often thought Redgrave's character was slightly modeled after Joanna Cassidy's in Six Feet Under.

by Anonymousreply 44December 21, 2018 1:42 AM

I really liked the first two seasons, but the season 3 Carver plot totally turned me off the series.

by Anonymousreply 45December 21, 2018 2:52 AM

I loved the Carver plot. Originally it was supposed to just be one episode but audience reaction was so strong. It did fly off the rails toward the end but I couldn't wait for the next episode and the reveal.

by Anonymousreply 46December 21, 2018 3:04 AM

Dylan Walsh was unbelievably hot on Nip/Tuck, but Julian McMahon was not. he has a beautiful face but a very ordinary body.

The show was too crazy--the plot twists were too over-the-top.

by Anonymousreply 47December 21, 2018 3:07 AM

Agent teddy bear

by Anonymousreply 48December 25, 2018 11:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!