Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Worst Christmas Gift Ever

For a Secret Santa exchange I got a half used tub of face cream with hair in it.

by Anonymousreply 70December 25, 2019 1:17 AM

I got a rock

by Anonymousreply 1December 10, 2018 7:59 PM

An Ann Coulter book

by Anonymousreply 2December 10, 2018 8:03 PM

R2, somebody hates ya!

by Anonymousreply 3December 10, 2018 8:34 PM

One year the aspergic fundie closeted whackjob who latched onto then stalked me in middle-school gave me a plastic bauble with my name glitter-glued onto it. I spent all my time until the following Christmas literally running in shadows around my tiny campus between periods to avoid interacting with her. Thankfully my ghosting worked and she got so frustrated and bored that she latched on to others the time we got to HS. Per FB she is now writing a book about brain-damaged people and how the Bible can save/cure them, and molesting rescue animals in any spare time. She’s so fucking creepy and strange.

This still isn’t as awful as the following Valentines’ when my HS crush/bully left a rose on my desk as a joke. I found it that morning, dropped it in shock when I read the card and my entire homeroom laughed me out of the door. I think I stayed in the campus library crying into James Baldwin novels the entire day (Mary!, I know).

by Anonymousreply 4December 10, 2018 8:49 PM

OP wins!!

by Anonymousreply 5December 10, 2018 8:50 PM

An obviously regifted giant santa statue that seemed to be mostly his bottom. Not s white elephant gift. Bitchy woman gave it

by Anonymousreply 6December 10, 2018 8:52 PM

Gold-framed 8x10 Sears studio photo of friend who gifted it to me. Advertisements for myself...

by Anonymousreply 7December 10, 2018 8:55 PM

hahahaha sorry op that is the funniest thing I have heard in ages - made my day

by Anonymousreply 8December 10, 2018 9:03 PM

My mother got a fly swatter from her sister-in-law.

A cross-stitched fly swatter.

by Anonymousreply 9December 10, 2018 9:05 PM

Last place I worked at did the Secret Santa bullshit. Someone gave me a diet book that was inscribed, "Merry Christmas and Happy [bold]SLIMMER[/bold] New Year!"

by Anonymousreply 10December 10, 2018 9:08 PM

My ex got me a hot pink plastic Coach diaper bag....I was like WTF??

by Anonymousreply 11December 10, 2018 9:08 PM

An enamel cat pin with about 1/4 of the enamel rubbed off. Bought at a flea market by my sister in law

by Anonymousreply 12December 10, 2018 9:09 PM

3 wire coat hangers that had been covered with crochet yarn. From my dad.

by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2018 9:16 PM

In 2014, a beat up box of lucite picture frames that were so old that the address said “NY 5, NY”. My aunt must have found them while cleaning out her house because that address style was discontinued when the ZIP code was introduced in 1963.

by Anonymousreply 14December 10, 2018 9:17 PM

Chia Pet. Instant 2 pointer to the trashcan.

by Anonymousreply 15December 10, 2018 9:24 PM

R4 sounds like such a nice person.

by Anonymousreply 16December 10, 2018 9:30 PM

I can top that R15. My brother (the one that voted from Trump) gave me a Barack Obama Chia Pet. He thought it was funny. I tossed it out.

by Anonymousreply 17December 10, 2018 9:30 PM

R17 You didn't hit them with it?

by Anonymousreply 18December 10, 2018 9:32 PM

Syphillis

by Anonymousreply 19December 10, 2018 9:36 PM

A wall calendar from the SPCA or one of those places that send you unsolicited swag to guilt you into a donation. Haven't used a wall calendar in 20 years or more.

We had a grab bag at work once and I got a tap light -- those plastic battery operated lights you can stick on inside a closet or cabinet. I put it on the inside of the cabinet under my sink so it was useful, just cheap and 90% under the suggested budget.

by Anonymousreply 20December 10, 2018 9:38 PM

R19 Was that on your list? Most avant-garde.

by Anonymousreply 21December 10, 2018 9:40 PM

Another one from my sister in law — the pamphlet she got when she visited a wildlife park, because she knew I liked animals.

by Anonymousreply 22December 10, 2018 9:40 PM

R22 You have an unusual family dynamic. Perhaps you should plan a Christmas holiday elsewhere or at least claim you've made holiday plans. Oh, darn the luck.

by Anonymousreply 23December 10, 2018 9:47 PM

Some people do not deserve anything nice because they’ll just find fault.

by Anonymousreply 24December 10, 2018 9:49 PM

R23, I no longer get together with my husband’s family because they behave so badly. I went to my father in law’s funeral, but not to the place where they held a post funeral affair.

My sister in law is like Trump without the money. She’s scaldingly cheap and utterly self centered. I hope not to see her until her mother dies.

by Anonymousreply 25December 10, 2018 10:03 PM

An XXL sweater from the Gap in the early 90s. I took it to exchange it for a medium and the sales person points to a stain I hadn't noticed and goes "we can't take it back because it's used and there's a stain on it. Also, it's from KMart."

by Anonymousreply 26December 10, 2018 10:10 PM

R26 here. I should hasten to add that it came in a Gap gift box. Thus, my confusion.

by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2018 10:11 PM

Well...

by Anonymousreply 28December 10, 2018 10:12 PM

Why do you think you’re deserving of a gift? Curious...

by Anonymousreply 29December 10, 2018 10:16 PM

Presents from an Aunt who buys clothes from the thrift store in the wrong size.

She is the person in the family who has inherited all of the money and treats herself very well.

by Anonymousreply 30December 10, 2018 10:18 PM

R30 you deserve a big 💩

by Anonymousreply 31December 10, 2018 10:22 PM

A used toilet brush

by Anonymousreply 32December 10, 2018 10:33 PM

OP Was it curly?

by Anonymousreply 33December 10, 2018 11:49 PM

My Stepmother gave me AND my brother a bag of jiffy pop popcorn...it was so shocking, but worth it! The amount of trash talking I did, and continue to do, (she died in July) was WELL WORTH the cheapness. She was so pathetic in life, and death...mocking her brings me extreme joy

by Anonymousreply 34December 10, 2018 11:52 PM

Christmas 2002: A chipped ceramic ring holder - looked like a tea saucer with a finger sticking out of it - from my boyfriend's mother.

by Anonymousreply 35December 11, 2018 5:46 AM

Stop helping to perpetuate stupid office Frau nonsense rituals, OP, and you won't get any more hairy face cream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 11, 2018 6:02 AM

Turds

by Anonymousreply 37December 11, 2018 10:48 PM

Scarf from a coworker. Reeked of her perfume. She said she sprayed it so I would think of her when I wore it. WTF!?!??

A day or two after she gave it to me another coworker showed me a picture of the cheapskate who gave me the scarf and she was wearing it in the picture.

I had it dry cleaned and gave it to a homeless person near my office.

by Anonymousreply 38December 11, 2018 10:59 PM

In Kindergarten I got a coloring book in which some of the pages were already colored in.

by Anonymousreply 39December 11, 2018 11:00 PM

R39, you were not good enough for a new one

by Anonymousreply 40December 11, 2018 11:06 PM

I've posted this a bunch of times before, but it always makes me laugh—consider it a DL tradition. I saw it on another message board close to 20 years ago ...

[quote]My aunt gave me TONS of socks she had knitted. I mean every color, size, shape, some had stars on them. One sock she knitted said "Chocolate Sista" down the damn sock.

by Anonymousreply 41December 11, 2018 11:07 PM

R28, you got exactly what you deserved and you know it!

by Anonymousreply 42December 11, 2018 11:09 PM

Not me but a coworker.....we were having a grab bag gift exchange...overall people were thoughtful and not too cheap...there were things like a bottle of wine, a funny souvenir hat from a local landmark, a Target gift card....but one of the senior VPs thought it was a White Elephant exchange....so he regifted a crummy Father’s Day present...one of those stupid golf card games that you see st TJ Maxx in June near the registers. the person who got stuck with that couldn’t even pretend she liked it.....and she had brought the bottle of wine....the executive wasn’t embarrassed at all...I heard him laughing about it when I passed by his office...

by Anonymousreply 43December 11, 2018 11:09 PM

A boyfriend gave me an ant farm. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 44December 11, 2018 11:10 PM

A bag of Starcucks Christmas blend coffee. Tastes like shit!

by Anonymousreply 45December 12, 2018 3:39 PM

A bag of shit. Tastes like Starbucks Christmas blend coffee!

by Anonymousreply 46December 12, 2018 4:15 PM

Cash. Put some thought into a gift, don't just put cash in a Christmas card.

by Anonymousreply 47December 12, 2018 4:59 PM

I love getting cash, though it would be weird coming from a spouse/boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 48December 12, 2018 5:09 PM

Lol R46 - did you have to keep tasting it to make sure?

[quote]I had it dry cleaned and gave it to a homeless person near my office.

Genius solution. Did the cheap-ass notice the homeless person wearing ‘her’ scarf??!!

by Anonymousreply 49December 12, 2018 6:24 PM

An airbrushed sweatshirt from one of those stands at the mall. I still shudder when I think about it.

by Anonymousreply 50December 12, 2018 6:48 PM

When I was young and broke my parents would send cash as a gift. I was grateful as it kept me from starving between paychecks.

by Anonymousreply 51December 12, 2018 7:06 PM

Ages ago, in my first month at a real office job, there was a forced Secret Santa exchange. We had to go into a large conference room to open our gifts en masse. Presumably this was going to get us all into the holly, jolly Christmahanukah spirit. The suggested maximum limit was $20 and I spent about $25, a lot for me at the time, on a nice bottle of wine for my giftee, a Creative Director. I watched inconspicuously as he opened it and looked at it as if it were a turd, curling his mouth in contempt. He rolled his eyes and sighed heavily, then shrugged and slumped his shoulders in despair at his misfortune. It was quite the performance. Oh, well. Can't win 'em all. I opened my gift from the anonymous giver. It was a used, burned-wick, melted, scratched 3" pink pillar candle.

I learned my lesson. Never again did I give a single fuck about these dog and pony shows. Do the minimum and know that 99% of coworkers are gonna be selfish assholes.

by Anonymousreply 52December 12, 2018 7:39 PM

LOL R52, so true! The first stupid Secret Santa I did the same thing and bought a nice gift just a little over the minimum. I got some trashy gift and the person who got mine didn't even appreciate it. When everyone was distracted going ape-shit over the food day of disgusting garbage food, I took my gift back and left the shitty one in its place. Never really heard anything about it. I don't think the person who got mine really cared, so she probably didn't even know I replaced it. The shitty one I got showed up on my desk a couple days later with a note that I had left it in the conference room. I walked to the kitchen and tossed it in the garbage. After that, I just got some shitty candy for whomever I drew and spent a couple bucks. Thank God we don't do that where I work now.

by Anonymousreply 53December 12, 2018 8:01 PM

"Chocolate Sista" always makes me giggle.

by Anonymousreply 54December 12, 2018 10:30 PM

R53 you just made my morning, that's a brilliant move! And then the shitty gift found its way back to you lol

by Anonymousreply 55December 12, 2018 10:35 PM

A skillet from dollar general so I could cook for the family. I was 12 years old.

by Anonymousreply 56December 12, 2018 10:57 PM

My bf’s hag wrapped up a dirty wool scarf for me one holiday. I was speechless.

But when I think of terrible gifts, I think of the sweater my wonderful mom gave me. (Honestly, she was a great mom.) it was sort of an op art black and white polyester sweater. I thought I’d at least wear it to walk her dog,in a city I didn’t live in or even know a single person. And once I put it on, I realized I could never even leave the house in it. After that, we suggested she just buy things that are 100% cotton. Near the last year’s of her life, she’d send those edible fruit bouquets and those were nice.

by Anonymousreply 57December 12, 2018 11:06 PM

Cleaning supplies so I could clean the house. I was 12 years old.

by Anonymousreply 58December 12, 2018 11:09 PM

r9

Nice try EUNICE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 12, 2018 11:25 PM

Many years ago, we had a tradition with friends of “a horrible christmas gift exchange”. The gift had to be cheap, and it had to be funny. Our friends had a really lovely home - so of course, some of our friends got them a lovely and completely cheap poster of the Reverent Jesse Jackson they put in the most awful frame they found at a yard sale.

It was three exits past vulgar right into Vomittown. It was a huge hit. So much that it became a tradition that for Christmas and birthdays, this picture was guaranteed to be sneaked into someone’s home and hung in a prominent room, where it had to remain until the next group event. Then your mission was to unload the Ultimate White Elephant without getting caught.

by Anonymousreply 60December 13, 2018 12:06 AM

I just avoided it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 13, 2018 12:09 AM

[quote]I should hasten to add that it came in a Gap gift box. Thus, my confusion.

Helpful hint - everything sold at The Gap has GAP as the label. Everything.

by Anonymousreply 62December 13, 2018 12:17 AM

R62 I thought the same thing. And how did the Gap person know it came from Kmart? Does Kmart have known signature brand like "Le K" or something??

by Anonymousreply 63December 13, 2018 1:20 PM

I remember "Chocolate Sistah" too! (And the recipient was white IIRC.)

We had one of these treads a few years ago. Some I recall for their sheer audacity:

The soiled panties left in a grab bag.

The sleeve of Saltines.

A pencil (from a pen and pencil set, bu the giver liked the pen, so he kept it.)

A fly swatter.

The one I recall the best is the kid whose aunt was supposed to buy his gifts. And Christmas comes - and there is nothing for him because the aunt "forgot: to buy him anything. And this went on for a few years!

by Anonymousreply 64December 13, 2018 1:32 PM

I got a “heat for the seat” paddle, it was wrapped under the tree. Everyone in the room “tried it out” on me after I unwrapped it. Got used for real the next day!

by Anonymousreply 65December 13, 2018 1:58 PM

Anyone hoping for a Chocolate Sista this year?

by Anonymousreply 66December 24, 2019 9:46 PM

This was from grade school:

A Christmas tree mas from a phone book (look it up), 2 tangerines and a roll of dimes.

I kid you not.

by Anonymousreply 67December 24, 2019 11:17 PM

*Christmas tree madd from a phone book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 24, 2019 11:24 PM

Something like this from my Mom-Mom when I was a teen. I think she thought it was cute. It was too creepy to use.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 25, 2019 12:42 AM

chlamydia

by Anonymousreply 70December 25, 2019 1:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!