Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Early Whitney Houston was Amazing

I was born in the mid 80s so I wasn't familiar with Whitney Houston until the mid 90s when her addiction issues had taken hold and she was seen being messy with Bobby Brown. I just finished watching the new Whitney Houston documentary and can't believe how much she changed. She was so beautiful, talented, poised and magnetic in the beginning. I still loved her when she was acting crazy and losing her voice but it's tragic she fell so far. It's almost hard to believe she was the same woman.

by Anonymousreply 26December 14, 2018 10:14 PM

She did change so much. Even at the height of the Bodyguard you could hear her voice start to diminish a little.

When she released Waiting to Exhale, you could hear some of the light was starting to burn out.

by Anonymousreply 1December 10, 2018 5:04 AM

Here is Whitney Houston singing Home on The Merv Griffin Show in 1983. She starts singing @ 2:20.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 10, 2018 5:08 AM

1985 appearance on The Tonight Show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 10, 2018 5:10 AM

On Letterman:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 10, 2018 5:22 AM

"Someone For Me" in 1984, slightly different version from the album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 10, 2018 5:25 AM

She was very talented vocally. She had no musical ability (couldn’t even read music), but had a great voice.

She ruined that with the crack pipe.

Sad!

by Anonymousreply 6December 10, 2018 5:32 AM

At least her house wasn't cold and sterile and actually had a lived-in feel to it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 10, 2018 5:35 AM

R6 singing is musical ability. she could also play the piano.

by Anonymousreply 8December 10, 2018 5:36 AM

I will always love you kills her music career, It was too big , and she never got that acclaim after that song

by Anonymousreply 9December 10, 2018 5:37 AM

Her drug den photo is still a shock to me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 10, 2018 5:47 AM

She lived in squalor.

I was shocked that she mainly lived in Atlanta.

Couldn’t even afford New York or LA.

Sad!

by Anonymousreply 11December 10, 2018 5:57 AM

Early to mid 80s she was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 12December 10, 2018 6:08 AM

She looked liked an ape.

by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2018 6:14 AM

r13 Hi Roseanne, too much Ambien again?

by Anonymousreply 14December 10, 2018 6:25 AM

She had it all.

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2018 6:20 PM

Didn't we almost have it all?

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2018 6:30 PM

She and Robyn never did drugs together did they?

by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2018 6:32 PM

Remember when we held on in the rain?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2018 6:33 PM

Most of her material was extremely cheesy MOR and even the stuff that was supposed to be good, "Saving All My Love For You" I honestly don't really like singing style that much. She was shoved down our throat as someone you must like. Fuck that, I didn't, and I don't.

by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2018 6:38 PM

I’m like OP and up until recently only knew about ‘90s Whitney (& Bobby, from ‘BBB’ etc.). These clips in this thread shed new light (R5’s is staggering...that pitch!), and prove that her talents and presence and grace were never in question.

As for her later scandals...hmmm. I am usually the first person in the room dismissing the dude in any straight relationship gone sour & ugly, especially when violence or child endangerment is involved. But somehow, and even though knowing he’s foolish & selfish, it is hard to stay mad at Bobby and blame him for it all due to a strange quality that makes it impossible to totally dislike him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2018 9:23 PM

OP I am probably 10 years older than you. I loved Whitney since I was in sixth grade and had her first album on cassette. I thought she was beautiful. I adored everything about her.

I hold onto that time before it all went wrong. It’s too easily forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2018 11:39 PM

Incredible voice but no stage presence. Never cared for her live versions. They were Sunday church versions of the song that sounded so different and not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 22December 14, 2018 12:17 AM

She was an excellent singer but it was all too brief, due to a dependant family and drugs.

by Anonymousreply 23December 14, 2018 12:31 AM

Even her own drug dealer named 'Uncle Rob' didn't want her hanging around when she showed up at his house and started to sing and talk through his windows. He finally phoned Bobby Brown and told him to come and take her home. Once she got into drugs it was the beginning of the end for her. So sad.

by Anonymousreply 24December 14, 2018 12:42 AM

It's all Cissy's fault. If she allowed her daughter to be who she really was maybe she would've lived longer.

by Anonymousreply 25December 14, 2018 2:00 AM

[quote] 'Uncle Rob' didn't want her hanging around when she showed up at his house and started to sing and talk through his windows. He finally phoned Bobby Brown and told him to come and take her home.

You know it’s bad when you’re calling on Bobby to do something responsible. I wonder if he did go over and collect her?

by Anonymousreply 26December 14, 2018 10:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!