Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What tv episode scared you shitless as a kid?

For me, the Little House on the Prairie episode where Albert’s girlfriend was raped by a clown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309March 25, 2019 6:42 AM

Albert was straight? I was sure he was a fellow gayling.

by Anonymousreply 1December 8, 2018 6:18 PM

That episode sounds HOT.

by Anonymousreply 2December 8, 2018 6:20 PM

The Jeffersons Halloween episode when Weezy sees a man in a bunny costume kill someone from the balcony

by Anonymousreply 3December 8, 2018 6:20 PM

Whoops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 8, 2018 6:22 PM

I wasn't afraid, 'cause I knew Albert would lock the clown in the ice house.

by Anonymousreply 5December 8, 2018 6:23 PM

Valerie Bertinelli’s Hardy Boys episode.

by Anonymousreply 6December 8, 2018 6:25 PM

Agnes Moorehead in the Twilight Zone episode, The Invaders. I remember watching alone in the house with the lights out and just freaking out.

by Anonymousreply 7December 8, 2018 6:32 PM

The Charlie’s Angels episode on the cruise ship with Frank Gorshin.

The Little House episode where Laura thinks she’s sees Mr. Olsen behead Mrs Olsen with a sword on Halloween night.

The Fantasy Island episode where Annette Funicello’s ventriloquist doll comes to life and fucks her husband. Also the episode where Mr Roarke battles Jack the Ripper.

by Anonymousreply 8December 8, 2018 6:34 PM

The episode of One Day At A Time where Bonnie Franklin doesn't wear a bra.

by Anonymousreply 9December 8, 2018 6:39 PM

A few episodes of Buffy did. The first one was in season 2 when she ends up in the hospital and this fucker ⬇️ shows up. Then there's the gentlemen and the Halloween episode in season 4. Also in season 7 when Anya starts cutting up her face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 8, 2018 6:45 PM

Outer Limits ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 8, 2018 6:53 PM

The Brady Bunch episode where Jan is inhabited by a poltergeist and starts coming on to her

by Anonymousreply 12December 8, 2018 7:01 PM

Holy shit, R8. I think you and I might be the same person!

by Anonymousreply 13December 8, 2018 7:02 PM

Any episode of Sex and the City that shows Carrie being portrayed as an object of lust or with Miranda naked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 8, 2018 7:36 PM

Gilligan's Island comes to mind =

The Meteor = which rapidly aged the castaways in a dream (poor Mrs. Howell looked 130).

The Hunter = Where Gilligan has to survive for 24 hours or gets shot between the eyes.

The "Sinking Island" = The water will rise & there is no safe place on the island for the castaways (I couldn't swim at the time so I felt extra bad for all of them).

by Anonymousreply 15December 8, 2018 7:45 PM

Nightmare at 20,000 Feet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 8, 2018 7:52 PM

The episode of Romper Room when Miss Betty smashed her magic mirror, then said we were all cursed with 7 years of bad luck.

by Anonymousreply 17December 8, 2018 7:55 PM

When Gordon Jump molested Dudley on Different Strokes. Dudley said the line, "He... touched me."

When someone used a baby as a battering ram to break the window of the blind school (engulfed in flames) on Little House on the Prairie.

by Anonymousreply 18December 8, 2018 7:59 PM

There was an episode of "Family Affair" where a friend of Buffy's, who I think has been sick, dies and the episode pretty much ends with Buffy weeping inconsolably. Sitcoms usually had a happy ending, but this show had some underlying sadness even in its basic situation of the kids losing their parents in some kind of accident and moving in with their hunky, rich bachelor Uncle Bill. Anyway, the episode was sad and kind of scary since a basically comedic show that featured kids in the cast actually had a kid dying at the end. I watched some episodes recently on Amazon Prime, and to some extent the show still holds up pretty well. Plus, that apartment is gorgeous, and the titles over the theme song look pretty cool as well!

by Anonymousreply 19December 8, 2018 8:02 PM

That episode in The Flying Nun where Carlos spritzed on some Axe after his shower and all the sisters became succubi.

by Anonymousreply 20December 8, 2018 8:10 PM

The Brady Bunch episode where they went to Hawaii, found a tiki necklace, and ended up in a cave with Vincent Price.

by Anonymousreply 21December 8, 2018 8:26 PM

That episode where Buffy and Jody are Separated by Mr. French in Mexico. Screaming for him in the back of the bus.

by Anonymousreply 22December 8, 2018 9:01 PM

The Punky Brewster episode “the perils of punky”. Also the episode where Cheri gets stuck in the fridge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 8, 2018 9:10 PM

The Alfred Hitchcock show about two women alone in a dark scary house being terrorized by a stalker in the neighborhood. It STILL creeps me out.

by Anonymousreply 24December 8, 2018 9:26 PM

The live talking flute in Jimmy’s(?) pocket on HR Puff n Stuff. It had a creepy metal face & to play the flute you would have to put its living head in your mouth!!

by Anonymousreply 25December 8, 2018 10:37 PM

TZ, Room For One More episode. I'm 66 and have never been on a plane. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 26December 8, 2018 10:41 PM

The Helen Lawson Yuletide Extravaganza

by Anonymousreply 27December 8, 2018 10:47 PM

Any time the theme of "Night Gallery" would come on. My mother loved that kind of stuff. Don't get me started on "Sixth Sense."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 8, 2018 10:49 PM

There was a Night Gallery episode where a guy melts or something if he isn't kept at a constant cool temperature. His fan breaks or something and you see him at the end as a pile of goo.

by Anonymousreply 29December 8, 2018 10:50 PM

I was an infant when my mom watched night gallery repeats in the mid 70s. I remember crying and screaming from my crib when the show theme music started. Also... The Count on Sesame Street terrified me as a toddler.

by Anonymousreply 30December 8, 2018 10:55 PM

Not an episode but a TV movie. The 1976 Helter Skelter movie was premiered when I was in the lounge at my parent's tennis club waiting for them to finish playing and I was way too young to be watching. I saw probably the first half hour, and it scared the shit out of me. I still remember the maid running screaming down the driveway, the writings in blood on the front door and the guy puking in the yard (in tennis clothes) on being called in to ID his friends' bodies.

by Anonymousreply 31December 8, 2018 11:00 PM

Nothing scared me as much as "The Tale of Samuel Whiskers or The Roly-Poly Pudding" by this bitch Beatrix Potter!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 8, 2018 11:04 PM

R18 the way I remember it, Dudley actually said "He... tried to feel me"

by Anonymousreply 33December 8, 2018 11:05 PM

Little House clown episode and I remember seeing the end clip of that Family Affair episode where Buffy and Jody were screaming at the end of that bus!

by Anonymousreply 34December 8, 2018 11:05 PM

[quote]The episode of One Day At A Time where Bonnie Franklin doesn't wear a bra.

Um, wasn’t that every episode? You must still feel traumatized.

by Anonymousreply 35December 8, 2018 11:20 PM

The Fantasy Island with Jack the Ripper, especially when he came through the passage from Victorian England into the room of the woman in the contemporary world.

by Anonymousreply 36December 8, 2018 11:39 PM

^^That scared the fuckin shit out of me too!

by Anonymousreply 37December 8, 2018 11:41 PM

Charlie’s Angels: Night of the Strangler.

A killer strangles his victims with a rag doll.

I wish there were screenshots available of the corpses with rag doll limbs wrapped around their necks, but even reality cannot match the vivid image imprinted in my ten-year-old mind that lingers 40+ years later.

by Anonymousreply 38December 9, 2018 12:03 AM

The machine gunning of Jewish women at Babi Yar in War & Remembrance.

My mother when she saw that I woke up and was standing in the living room: “that’s why we tell you to stay in bed”.

by Anonymousreply 39December 9, 2018 12:07 AM

Lol, r39! Your mom was a bitch too, huh?

by Anonymousreply 40December 9, 2018 12:10 AM

R40, yes. Completely selfless and loving. But get up at 10 pm and see a murder in Quincy? Well that’s on you. You were told, after all.

by Anonymousreply 41December 9, 2018 12:15 AM

I wasn’t a kid at the time but a couple Twin Peaks episodes were pretty scary. The music and rustling trees didn’t help either.

by Anonymousreply 42December 9, 2018 12:23 AM

R42, you old pussy you.

by Anonymousreply 43December 9, 2018 12:24 AM

An episode of Kolchak in which a monster takes on the form of the people its victims trust. I realized that my mom or dad could be the monster, trying to trick me into coming to them so it could eat me, and it freaked my shit for several days.

Gamera Vs Guiron. Two space ladies kidnap two little boys and shave their heads preparatory to eating their brains, as they helpfully go on to explain, "raw." The kids escape but it was enough to give me nightmares. A kids' movie that features said kids being threatened with having their brains scooped out of their skulls and eaten raw?? The Japanese are so bloody weird.

by Anonymousreply 44December 9, 2018 12:25 AM

That episode of Mr. Ed where Ed gets very moody and short-tempered and Wilbur has to take him to the vet but they drive by a big industrial building on the way where Wilbur stops the car and you can see "Glue Factory" painted on the side. The look in Ed's eyes!

by Anonymousreply 45December 9, 2018 12:28 AM

There was also a creepy Fantasy Island where the toys come to life, scared the crap out of an 8 year old me. I wasn't supposed to be up that late but my brother was babysitting.

by Anonymousreply 46December 9, 2018 12:33 AM

Reading about Kolchak I wasn't supposed to be up at the time but my dad was watching it and I remember nuns being raped. Once again, scared little me.

by Anonymousreply 47December 9, 2018 12:34 AM

The episode of Space:1999 where the alien creature would suck up people whole and spit them out as burning skeletal remains.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 9, 2018 12:37 AM

The rat eaters on V

by Anonymousreply 49December 9, 2018 12:45 AM

I think it was a movie made for tv, late 70's? Couple moved into old house and little people would come out of the vents at night. It was scary as HELL!

by Anonymousreply 50December 9, 2018 1:21 AM

This sequence on The Bionic Woman. Jaime is backed into a corner by the Fembots and is forced to jump from a high story building...too high up for her bionic legs to withstand the impact!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 9, 2018 1:37 AM

It was one of those Unsolved Mysteries shows. can't remember which one exactly but I believe it was a ghost or aliens.

by Anonymousreply 52December 9, 2018 1:37 AM

This episode of All In The Family scared me but it made me feel all tingly too.

Hold me, David Dukes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 9, 2018 1:45 AM

R50, relive the trauma!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 9, 2018 1:48 AM

OMG! Thanks R50! That's it!

by Anonymousreply 55December 9, 2018 1:51 AM

Made for TV, but not a series, thankfully.

My parents never put limits on what the kids viewed.

This is an instance where a restriction would have been advisable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 9, 2018 1:54 AM

Any episode of One Step Beyond.

by Anonymousreply 57December 9, 2018 1:54 AM

The episode of Night Gallery where Jon Boy Walton plays a sin eater

by Anonymousreply 58December 9, 2018 1:55 AM

Penny getting a hot iron to the face on Good Times

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 9, 2018 1:58 AM

The very special episode of Too Close for Comfort where Monroe was raped by two women.

by Anonymousreply 60December 9, 2018 2:02 AM

R50 In the 70s I recollect a commercial where this girl was being plagued by demons. (Not the exorcist). It was nighttime, so she opened the door to her bedroom, turned on the light and witnessed a bunch of these miniature demons suddenly swarming from all four corners of the bedroom to hide UNDERNEATH her bed. Scared me for months.

by Anonymousreply 61December 9, 2018 2:02 AM

The Waltons episode "The Changeling". Elizabeth turns 13 and all sorts of spooky stuff happens. Very poltergeist-esque.

by Anonymousreply 62December 9, 2018 2:12 AM

R24, I assume the Hitchcock show you're referring to is "An Unlocked Window," which was one of the hour-long Hitchcock episodes. About two nurses in a creepy house looking after an invalid during a storm. As fate it would have it, there's a homicidal maniac lurking in the area who preys on nurses. I saw it when I was about 12 years old, and nothing has ever terrified me as much as that episode did. I couldn't sleep for the next several nights. I never saw that ending coming. Granted, if I had seen it for the first time as an adult, when I was a bit more sophisticated than I was at 12, I might have seen it coming. But it traumatized me, and I never forgot it.

by Anonymousreply 63December 9, 2018 2:17 AM

^^I think it's available on YouTube, or it used to be, so I kept my description spoiler-free. But it's a very famous episode, often cited as the scariest one in the series.

by Anonymousreply 64December 9, 2018 2:22 AM

The “Pig Doctor” Twilight Zone episode. Scared the fucking life out of me as a child.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 9, 2018 2:23 AM

Night Gallery episode "The Doll." An Indian man bent on revenge sends a doll to the niece of a British Colonel. The doll is sent to kill him. It's the most hideous thing you've ever seen, a million times scarier than "Talky Tina" on "The Twilight Zone."

by Anonymousreply 66December 9, 2018 2:28 AM

The pig doctor episode is called "Eye of the Beholder," and the "ugly" young woman who spends most of the episode in bandages was future "Beverly Hillbillies" star Donna Douglas, with another actress providing her speaking voice.

by Anonymousreply 67December 9, 2018 2:30 AM

Did someone at R66 mention a scary doll?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 9, 2018 2:33 AM

The Bionic Woman - “The Vega Influence”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 9, 2018 2:48 AM

Anything with LUCY after 1965.

by Anonymousreply 70December 9, 2018 2:49 AM

A Twilight Zone episode where a man wants to live inside a painting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 9, 2018 2:57 AM

Arhtur C Clarkes Mysterious World. The giant snake episode and the Crystal Skulls one. Also the music creeped me out.

by Anonymousreply 72December 9, 2018 2:58 AM

R72 Sorry Arthur

by Anonymousreply 73December 9, 2018 2:59 AM

The Doctor Who episode with the huge maggots in the muddy field

by Anonymousreply 74December 9, 2018 3:00 AM

r63 I found it online, watching it now. Thanks for the recommendation

by Anonymousreply 75December 9, 2018 3:28 AM

I don't know if I'm breaking OP's guidelines or not, but I'll just put this out here. Back in the early 70s, we'd have 'movie of the week', and each episode would be a stand-alone TV movie (which barely exists anymore). 'Something Evil' was an absolutely terrifying small movie with Sandy Dennis and Darren McGavin, directed by Steven Spielberg (remember, he directed one of Joan Crawford's last roles for 'The Twilight Zone', and even bought her Oscar). I would have been in 8th grade, and I can remember my brother and I both having trouble getting to sleep after we watched. I actually tried watching part of it on YouTube not too long ago, and it still has the power to give me chills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76December 9, 2018 3:37 AM

Around the age of seven, I was playing at a friend’s house and we walked into the living room and his mother was watching a show that had a woman in a wooden cage being lowered into a bonfire while people danced around.

I was horrified, and ran out of the room. I have never figured out what it was from.

by Anonymousreply 77December 9, 2018 3:47 AM

A Night Gallery episode where a man bricked his wife up in a wall. Being buried alive is one of my greatest fears, I'd rather burn to death.

by Anonymousreply 78December 9, 2018 3:52 AM

I don't know if it was a tv show or movie but I remember an evil statue in Hawaii and they ended up at a luau where they don't know it but they are eating a person. Scared the shit out of me, caught it late at night when I snuck out of bed.

by Anonymousreply 79December 9, 2018 3:55 AM

As a very small child I recall watching what was intended to be a feel-good motivational concert broadcast live on TV, and experiencing sheer terror as the so-called singer shook her tambourine without grace or rhythm and croaked out the remarkably banal lyrics in a deranged voice out of a schlocky horror movie. I burst into tears and called for my nanny, who quickly turned off the TV and assured me that "the mean bad lady has gone bye bye". Of course, the musical group was eventually exposed as a sick cult and the untalented nightingale was revealed to be none other than G. Later, I believe she switched to acting, with equally dismal results.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80December 9, 2018 4:03 AM

Alfred Hitchcock presents: The White Petticoat. A man’s new wife discovers he keeps his first wife locked in a secret room behind her (the supposedly dead wife’s) portrait, when they see the white petticoat sticking out of the secret door. She can’t speak because he cut her tongue out!

Another AHP episode where a young woman makes up a story about being attacked by a man in a mask with gloves. Then she kills a woman who stole her boyfriend and leaves gloves behind to fool the police into thinking her story is real. Then they show her being killed by a man with gloves and a mask just like she made up, in the reflection of a puddle!

Another AHP episode where a father and son grow mushrooms in the basement and then turn into ghouls.

The leather face movie trailer.

Most twilight zones.

Creepshow-when the people on the raft on a pond are being eaten by the swamp slime monster thing. One of the men gets to shore, only to have it rise up like a wave and cover him.

by Anonymousreply 81December 9, 2018 6:04 AM

R77 For your viewing pleasure:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 9, 2018 6:49 AM

The Night Gallery episode "The Caterpillar" with Laurence Harvey and an EARWIG!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83December 9, 2018 6:50 AM

The "Matakitas Is Coming" episode of a British tv show called Journey to the Unknown (another 60's Twilight Zone-rip off show that had some great episodes). Vera Miles is trapped in an old library overnight, and somehow goes back in time to the night when an escaped lunatic murdered a young librarian working late. The ghost of the killer stalks her (and the ghost of the victim) in the massive, dark library all night as she tries to figure a way out. This episode aired on a UHF channel in the late 70's when I was a small kid and I watched it alone in the house one sunny afternoon and it really bothered me. I always remembered it but had no idea what the show was. Decades later when the internet happened I was able to find it, the whole episode is on YouTube. It's a lot cornier than I remember but the creepy moments are still very chilly.

by Anonymousreply 84December 9, 2018 12:55 PM

Another episode of "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour" that's often cited, along with "An Unlocked Window," as deeply disturbing is "The Jar," with Pat Buttram (Mr. Haney of "Green Acres") as a man who becomes mesmerized by a large glass jar containing who-the-hell-knows-what he sees at a carnival sideshow. He buys it and takes it home, where he hosts nightly viewings of it for friends and neighbors. The cast also includes George "Goober" Lindsey and veteran character actress Jane Darwell, shortly before her movie swan song as the Bird Woman in "Mary Poppins."

by Anonymousreply 85December 9, 2018 3:14 PM

For you, r79. At the end, the family spit roasts Sam the Butcher.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86December 9, 2018 3:18 PM

Karen Black and that damn doll

by Anonymousreply 87December 9, 2018 3:20 PM

That Trilogy of Terror story was traumatizing, R87. That thing is still hiding under my sofa! ••• I found Lady Elaine from Mr. Rogers to be horrific. She looks like someone tried to cook her. WTF?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 9, 2018 3:23 PM

R78 YES!!! I saw that one time when I was little. Thereafter, I feared the brick walls in our basement. Every now and then, now a 54 year old, I have snippets of that show in my dreams.

by Anonymousreply 89December 9, 2018 3:28 PM

I was terrified of Barnabas on Dark Shadows, which my babysitter would watch daily - with me cowering behind the couch and peeking just long enough to ensure a nightmare.

As an adult, I initially found this laughable, recognizing the cheap sets, misread lines, and hokey characters.

Until I actually re-watched the series.

Some of it is genuinely suspenseful, and the music is rather brilliant.

One early episode, in which Barnabas holds Maggie prisoner in a dungeon-like basement and drives her mad through hypnosis and isolation actually creeped me out as a grown-up, especially when she resolves to escape and B pursued her through a series of catacombs that eventually led out to a cliff.

I imagine my pre-kindergarten self watching it and wonder if my babysitter had any clue what effect it was having on her charge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90December 9, 2018 3:38 PM

AH LOOK OUT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91December 9, 2018 3:39 PM

Karen Black Trilogy Of Terror

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92December 9, 2018 3:52 PM

I thought the Sleestacks in “Land of the Lost” were scary. They were lizard people who lived underground and would emerge to conduct kidnapping attempts on the children. Their subterranean space was photographed with added filters which made it creepy. The fact that the girl character cried, “Daddy, do something!” as they went over ther waterfall in the opening sequence was also distressing to me as a child. This was a Saturday morning kids’ show.

by Anonymousreply 93December 9, 2018 4:03 PM

All My Children- The death of Mary after being shot during a home burglary. In my memory there was so much blood, though in actuality it was probably pretty tame.

Home invasion is still my greatest fear...maybe because of this AMC storyline from the early 70s!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94December 9, 2018 4:08 PM

I thought the cannibalism episode of Little House was the most disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 95December 9, 2018 4:10 PM

I think I might've missed a few of episodes of the Brady Bunch...

by Anonymousreply 96December 9, 2018 4:24 PM

The 2 part Incredible Hulk story where there was another murderous Hulk killing teens, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97December 9, 2018 4:31 PM

The "Ripper" episode of Kolchak really scared me, especially the last 10 minutes as Kolchak is hiding from in the his house. It was nuts having that kind of suspense on TV in the 70's. I can't think of another show where people would be so openly attacked and killed, not even X-Files...

by Anonymousreply 98December 9, 2018 4:36 PM

This scene from the 1960s Batman tv show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99December 9, 2018 4:36 PM

Holy Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade R99!

by Anonymousreply 100December 9, 2018 4:42 PM

Wasn't a kid when I saw this, but felt like one, a scared one...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101December 9, 2018 4:44 PM

While this scene is from a movie, I first saw it as a kid on tv connecting it with the 60s show.

I laugh at it of course today but even the immortal punchline "Some days you just can get rid of a bomb" didn't help my young self at all.

The scene at :41 is my favorite now & it's worth noting that neither Gotham City nuns nor moms pushing baby carriages give a damn about a guy running around for a couple of minutes with a oversized lit bomb about to go off! Gotham fraus at their finest I guess LOL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102December 9, 2018 4:50 PM

I thought the Lost in Space where the man went up into the man was pretty scary.

by Anonymousreply 103December 9, 2018 5:00 PM

Another Night Gallery doozy was when greedy Roddy McDowall murders his rich uncle for his inheritance in an old mansion. Each night the painting on the stairway changes and shows the corpse rising from the grave and getting closer and closer to the house. Terrifying!

by Anonymousreply 104December 9, 2018 5:06 PM

That Different Strokes one is creepy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105December 9, 2018 5:12 PM

I was 8 and 9 years old when twin peaks originally aired and every BOB episode scared the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 106December 9, 2018 5:21 PM

When Arnold and his friend were almost raped by an old man.

When Cherie almost died in a refrigerator on Punkie Brewster.

When Edith Bunker was raped at the very end of an All in the Family episode. (Rerun at the time, but new to me.)

by Anonymousreply 107December 9, 2018 5:24 PM

Not an episode, but when i was a kid, there was a really popullar italian tv show " La piovra - The Octopus" about mafia, and the intro music was kind of terrifying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108December 9, 2018 5:27 PM

Scooby Doo vs. the Spooky Space Kook

This had to be the scariest episode evah!

Sure the Scooby crew could take on people running around in weird Halloween costumes but how could they stop an alien invasion where they show the spaceship landing on the Earth. As a kid, I never bought the behind the scenes explanations & thought it was a total cop out. Some scary stuff for kids though!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109December 9, 2018 5:33 PM

This musical number featuring Liza and Cyril Ritchard (wearing a dress) gave me nightmares.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110December 9, 2018 5:33 PM

Fortunately for Edith it was an attempted rape R107...I watched it again recently and was shocked to see it was David Dukes playing the rapist:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111December 9, 2018 5:42 PM

Here is the Alfred Hitchcock Presents "An Unlocked Window ." I was at my aunt's house when this show came on and my aunt and my mother were watching it with us kids and they were as surprised as we were at the ending. Watching it now it seems so hokey, but early TV was very theatrical

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112December 9, 2018 5:45 PM

The episode of Dragnet 67, with the pot smoking couple and the baby. A business man goes to the cops, concerned that his granddaughter is in danger because his daughter and son in law are potheads. After some investigation, Joe Friday and his partner Gannon are frustrated to learn that there’s nothing they can do to get the baby away from the parents. Later, acting on a tip, they raid the couple's house where a pot party's in progress, and noticing the kid is missing, and the stoned mom and pop can’t remember what they left her, suddenly the mother rushes to the bathroom, where the tub is overflowing, and the baby has drowned.

by Anonymousreply 113December 9, 2018 6:15 PM

[quote] Watching it now it seems so hokey, but early TV was very theatrical.

To understand its impact, you really have to place it in the context of when it first aired (February 1965). The [undisclosed plot twist] seems pretty commonplace now in TV shows and movies but had a lot more shock value more than 50 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 114December 9, 2018 6:28 PM

Jonny Quest - The House Of The Seven Gargoyles

The shows ending usually finish in some kind of laughter but this one had a creepy moment considering how the episode played out.

The entire episode is posted below =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115December 9, 2018 6:31 PM

An X-Files episode called "Home" about an incestuous family. The murder of the sheriff and his wife with Johnny Mathis singing "Wonderful Wonderful" in the background scared the crap out of 7 year old me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116December 9, 2018 6:47 PM

I think r107 is referring to a different episode. Edith did get raped. It was cousin Maude.

by Anonymousreply 117December 9, 2018 6:53 PM

R33, huh, really? Well now I need to go look for the episode. It was an often repeated line among my friends growing up. (Not because we had reason to say "He tried to touch me" but because we were feral fuckers who repeated lines that made us most uncomfortable.)

Another episode: When Jo and the other Facts go into the city and meet the prostitute who tries to entice either Tootie or Jo into sex work. I remember being really fucked up by that.

by Anonymousreply 118December 9, 2018 6:57 PM

I did mean the Edith vs. intruder episode. I remembered it as her being pushed to a sofa and the guy climbing on top and the episode ending that way. I remembered it incorrectly, obviously. I’ve never seen Maude.

by Anonymousreply 119December 9, 2018 7:01 PM

Maude raped Edith with a baguette IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 120December 9, 2018 7:08 PM

Star Trek's "Salt Creature" episode.

"It's killing the Captain! Shoot it!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121December 9, 2018 7:12 PM

The other link was broken but had a better showing of the ending.

This one is okay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122December 9, 2018 7:15 PM

Omg R121 That reminds me of an unscary but totally WTF episode of Star Trek TNG, when security queen Tasha Yar was gobbled up by a talking oil slick. It was like, wait, what? She’s dead? Really??! That was...so lame!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123December 9, 2018 7:16 PM

General Hospital's Luke & Laura at their peak in 9-18-81.

Port Charles is going to be frozen over permanently!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124December 9, 2018 7:22 PM

The Edith Bunker would be rapist made Me moist

by Anonymousreply 125December 9, 2018 8:23 PM

Some of you are real pussies!

by Anonymousreply 126December 9, 2018 8:26 PM

[quote] This musical number featuring Liza and Cyril Ritchard (wearing a dress) gave me nightmares.

No wonder! It's like someone shoved a vibrator on full power up Liza's asshole.

by Anonymousreply 127December 9, 2018 8:37 PM

The episode of "the Outer Limits" called "The Zanti Misfits"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128December 9, 2018 8:40 PM

Once you've heard a Zanti Misfit's death scream you'll never get it out of your head...

by Anonymousreply 129December 9, 2018 8:42 PM

Pussy

by Anonymousreply 130December 9, 2018 8:46 PM

Tootie's brushes with child pornography and teen prostitution on Facts of Life

by Anonymousreply 131December 10, 2018 12:28 AM

+1 million to that damn Zuni doll that chased Karen Black around her apartment. For some reason it really freaked me out that she put it in the stove to burn to death. I think I gave my family's stove the side-eye for at least a month after that. Never know what's behind that closed door....

The Star Trek episode "Miri" freaked me out too, to the point where I refused to watch the show for years after seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 132December 10, 2018 12:52 AM

Aaaaaargg!

by Anonymousreply 133December 10, 2018 12:58 AM

Another point to make on that Eddth Bunker rape post. I posted this on another thread, but when they first filmed that scene, they had already done irehearsal. But, when they filmed in front of a live, stutio audience, the audinener stonglly, breaking into growls of anger and disgust, andJ Jean Stapleton was worried that they were going to attack David Duke..tt t was that powerful an episode, to be filmed on live TV.

by Anonymousreply 134December 10, 2018 4:17 AM

The Patty Duke/Night Gallery episode where pages of a diary predict all these bad things that keep happening to her. She's very paranoid and insistent but no one will believe her. Not even her therapist. The last scene is her, once again, begging a doctor for help. The camera backs off and you realize she's in a padded room in a mental institution.

CREEPED ME OUT !!!

by Anonymousreply 135December 10, 2018 4:26 AM

"Another AHP episode where a father and son grow mushrooms in the basement and then turn into ghouls."

Love this one! It was based on a short story by Ray Bradbury

by Anonymousreply 136December 10, 2018 6:07 PM
by Anonymousreply 137December 11, 2018 10:37 PM

The honeymooner’s apartment

by Anonymousreply 138December 11, 2018 10:42 PM

Star Trek Voyager - Revulsion

It's the scariest creepy "horror" episode in the series.

I feared for two of the characters safety. A rarity for this show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139December 12, 2018 4:42 AM

The Mod squad when they were chasing a witness with contagious meningitis who thought they were trying to kill hier

"Finding Tara Chapman"

by Anonymousreply 140December 12, 2018 6:08 AM

The episode where Morothy had a strange illness no one could figure out.

by Anonymousreply 141December 12, 2018 6:57 AM

Bert and Ernie...

by Anonymousreply 142December 12, 2018 7:04 AM

The X-Files episode with the human fluke worm.

by Anonymousreply 143December 12, 2018 3:36 PM

Attack Of The Vampire - Super Friends

Superman gets vampired by Dracula no less!

I didn't know how they would turn him back to normal by the end.

I can certainly laugh at it now just as this critic can!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144December 12, 2018 4:48 PM

That scared me too.

by Anonymousreply 145December 12, 2018 10:52 PM

The count on Sesame Street

by Anonymousreply 146December 12, 2018 11:01 PM

Any episode of Unsolved Mysteries

by Anonymousreply 147December 12, 2018 11:03 PM

Universe Of Evil - Super Friends

Superman & his evil double from another universe switch places after an explosion involving volcanoes in both places.

Superman has to deal with "The Super Enemies" (complete with an evil Gleek but no Wonder Twins) while his evil double takes on the 4 adult Super Friends.

The Hall Of Justice's counterpart is "The Hall Of Evil" (complete with the devil's pic right in the middle!)

Superman promises a black lady (that helps him return home) that he will come back & stop the Super Enemies.

If it ever happened, it wasn't revealed how. What a scary ending for kids: Supes makes it back home but the evil threats aren't stopped.

The show would still go on for another half decade. Holy cliffhangers! What were they thinking about leaving the viewers hanging like that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148December 12, 2018 11:42 PM

An episode of Buck Rogers where some dude lifted his detachable head off. And the Nosferatu episode of In Search Of.

by Anonymousreply 149December 13, 2018 3:29 AM

The Jack the Ripper episode of In Search Of

by Anonymousreply 150December 13, 2018 3:48 AM

Others have mentioned Twin Peaks but I just need to mention the episode where Leland looks in the mirror and sees Bob, and then murders Maddie, and dances with her dead body. Fucking terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 151December 13, 2018 4:00 AM

Jane Curtin and Laraine Newman as two of the Manson girls hawking "Human Hair Potholders" on an early episode of "SNL." Newman, as Squeaky Fromme, looks right into the camera at the end and intones, "Ya better BUY 'EM, ya little PIGGIES! I'm not fooling."

Keep in mind this was back when Manson hysteria was still sky-high. The audience let out a collective gasp, if memory serves.

First Runner-Up: Dennis Franz as Andy Sipowitz, baring his ass in the shower during that unforgettable episode of "NYPD Blue."

by Anonymousreply 152December 13, 2018 4:20 AM

"Christmas In Prison" by John Prine.

by Anonymousreply 153December 13, 2018 4:28 AM

^^^Oopsie. Wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 154December 13, 2018 4:31 AM

The floating head episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog. That cartoon was seriously fucked up (in a good way).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155December 13, 2018 8:13 AM

Another Scooby Doo one...this time the Diabolical Disc Demon!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156December 13, 2018 10:36 AM

I wasn’t exactly scared, but DL legend Beamish on Charlie’s Angels left me unsettled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157December 13, 2018 11:59 PM

The Davey & Goliath about Death (& Easter) terrified me as a kid.

Davey has a grandma who loves him and bakes him a cake. “I love you Davey” Then grandma dies. Sad Davey goes back to her house & sees the uneaten cake under a glass cake dome. Disembodied spooky grandma voice echoes “I love you Davey.” Because the next day is Easter, Davey gets the idea in his fool clay head that Grandma will rise up from the dead in the morning. He and Goliath go to the cemetery to wait - but because this is D&G they end up in the Bible (like some sort of Fundy Gumby) waiting at Jesus’s rock-doored toumb.

Now at 7 I’d seen enough Chiller Theater to know that a zombie Grandma coming out of her grave is Not A Good Thing, but Davey goes on and on about how nice it will be to hug Grandma again. I get very anxious. Grandma doesn’t show and it falls to Goliath to explain the finer points of the End Days to Davey. During that speech he says, in his deep, deliberate Goliath voice “Everyone has to die, Da-vey,” which was even more terrifying than a zombie Grandma.

by Anonymousreply 158December 14, 2018 3:40 AM

Invaders From Mars. A flying saucer lands in a kid's back yard and buries itself under sand. He tells people what he saw but they don't believe him. His family turns against him and so do the police. I saw it on to when I was a little kid who trusted my parents above everyone else and had been told to call the police if something bad happened ....and here were those supposedly trustworthy people being mean and horrible to the boy

by Anonymousreply 159December 14, 2018 5:11 AM

Most of mine were named already (Dudley gets fingered by the manager of WKRP, Tootie flirts with prostitution, Edith gets raped), but another one of mine was when Hawkeye forced that poor refugee to smother her own baby. Twelve-year-old me was left speechless considering Hawkeye was always MASH's jokester. Not so funny now are you, Hawkeye.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160December 14, 2018 6:14 AM

that Cosby show episode When all the men were giving birth and Bill Cosby gave birth to balloon animals, scarred me for life

by Anonymousreply 161December 14, 2018 6:21 AM

Kid brother floating at the window on the movie Salems lot. On the side note, I would want to sleep with that kid and take his pajamas off. (We're both the same age back then)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162December 14, 2018 7:27 AM

The episode of Alice where she sang

by Anonymousreply 163December 14, 2018 7:39 AM

Any episode of "The Munsters" that had "regular folks" running for their lives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164December 15, 2018 6:59 PM

An episode of Buck Rogers where he turns he fights an evil satyr. Scared the shit out of me as a kid. Oddly enough directed by Victor French.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165December 15, 2018 7:29 PM

The Night Stalker episode with Permalfait, the Cajun swamp monster.

Definitely the "Trilogy of Terror" episode with the Zuni doll... Karen Black freaked me out at the end with the pointed teeth.

by Anonymousreply 166December 15, 2018 7:38 PM

Buck Rogers had some scary ass imagery for kids.

Remember the space vampire?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167December 15, 2018 7:59 PM

God yes R167! No one could see him except his victims.

by Anonymousreply 168December 15, 2018 8:10 PM

r150 that whole show scared the fuck out of me. I don't remember the Ripper episode, but the Vlad the Impaler one terrified me.

by Anonymousreply 169December 15, 2018 9:19 PM

This show was scary to watch as a kid.

The intro alone ruined the year 1994 on my playground.

We all thought we would die in our 20s.

Maybe that's why the show didn't last long. LOL!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170December 15, 2018 10:37 PM

As others on the DL have noted, the first season of Scooby Doo could scare any kid before the VCR was a household product.

The Creeper, Ghost Miner or the Witch & Zombie combo probably gave many kids around the globe some awful nightmares.

By the time the 80s came around, old Scooby & his opponents were pretty tame & downright goofy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171December 15, 2018 10:51 PM

R170 - always thought that, too.

by Anonymousreply 172December 15, 2018 11:16 PM

R71 Rut roh. Bad dreams tonight.

by Anonymousreply 173December 15, 2018 11:25 PM

OMG me too R65. “Eye of the Beholder” was the title. I found out years later that Donna Douglas (Ellie May Clampett) played the beautiful women who did fit in to the pig world. Those pig snouts scared the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 174December 15, 2018 11:28 PM

The Ones Where Ann Romano Smiled.

by Anonymousreply 175December 15, 2018 11:35 PM

It wasn't a TV show. But a B science fiction movie on a local station titled, "The Day of the Triffids", which absolutely terrified me. I was watching it with my father and brothers, and, at the end of it, I had to ask my dad, "Can that really happen?" to which he replied "no". If he hadn't said that, I would have gone to bed that night without sleep. I was terrified of all horror films until I was in my mid teens.

by Anonymousreply 176December 15, 2018 11:36 PM

I was a pussy as a kid

by Anonymousreply 177December 15, 2018 11:39 PM

when I was a kid I watched every horror that was on tv, parents never forbid it

by Anonymousreply 178December 16, 2018 4:17 PM

I also found the Land Of The Lost’s Sleestaks terrifying as a child. What a letdown when the episodes came out on VHS as an adult. Their costumes were actually bagging at the joints.

I can still mentally see something I’d sneaked in and saw from behind my parents watching TV - the image of a young man who had drowned in dark blue water, sinking slowly to, and landing on, the bottom. No idea what show that was. It was a visual representation of dying that I’d never experienced before.

And the opening sequence of In Search Of… was enough to scare me on its own.

R116 sorry that you were a child when The X Files were on and you saw the Home episode. I watched it when it first aired with a group of adult friends and we agreed it was probably the grossest episode yet, even more than the Fluke episode R143 mentioned, but close…

by Anonymousreply 179December 16, 2018 4:51 PM

r178 Me too, I was surprised my sister didn't let her kids watch scary movies. I never had nightmares, I was pretty jaded and still am not scared of many horror movies. Kids need to toughen up by watching scary shit.

by Anonymousreply 180December 16, 2018 5:37 PM

Salem’s Lot on tv came out when I was 5. Scared me shitless.

by Anonymousreply 181December 16, 2018 5:39 PM

The ODAAT episodes where Mackenzie was having consensual sex with her Father.

by Anonymousreply 182December 16, 2018 6:00 PM

The first time BOB shows up on Twin Peaks terrified me.

The episode of Dallas where a deranged Katherine Wentworth runs down Bobby Ewing.

I was really young for this one, but I was terrified when Roger raped Rita on Guiding Light (?). I remember a scene of him chasing her through the woods, and that gave me nightmares. Not sure why my mom thought it was okay to explain rape to a four-year old, but que será.

Agree with the Unsolved Mysteries episodes with aliens or ghosts.

by Anonymousreply 183December 16, 2018 6:37 PM

The show Tales from the Darkside scared me senseless

by Anonymousreply 184December 16, 2018 8:01 PM

# 179. Sounds like The Reincarnation of Peter Proud with DL favorite Michael Sarrazin.

It also made some people gay because he was naked.

by Anonymousreply 185December 16, 2018 8:49 PM

Not a TV show or a movie...but often at 3:00 am in the morning (when everyone else in the house was asleep except me), the local channels would air an alert about an escaped convict or criminal at large - before signing off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186December 16, 2018 9:14 PM

R185 is correct R179 - it’s a made for TV movie about reincarnation. Peter keeps having dreams about death by drowning and the way it was shot made a big impression on me too.

by Anonymousreply 187December 17, 2018 3:36 AM

Does anyone remember the show Monsters? It terrified me back in the day, although I don't remember any specific episodes

by Anonymousreply 188December 17, 2018 4:09 AM

What about the monster in boggy creek. When Bigfoot attack the trailer

by Anonymousreply 189December 17, 2018 4:42 AM

Any episode featuring Sven on Another World.

by Anonymousreply 190December 17, 2018 4:50 AM

Differnt strokes when kimberly had bulimia.

by Anonymousreply 191December 17, 2018 5:05 AM

I thought The Reincarnation of Peter Proud was a theatrical film, not a tv movie

by Anonymousreply 192December 17, 2018 3:20 PM

#192. I think it played on the ABC Movie Of The Week after it was in theaters. I scared me too. I was too y young to be watching it. It also had Margot Kidder!

by Anonymousreply 193December 17, 2018 3:42 PM

^^^ The entire movie is on youtube. Including the quick flashes of nudity from the guy Peter Proud becomes later. I remember seeing that on TV as a kid. I am surprised it got past the censors. The 70's were an interesting time.

by Anonymousreply 194December 17, 2018 3:45 PM

I watched that episode of Alfred Hitchcock with my father when it first aired, r112. Scared the shit out of me. I turned to my father and declared that I was NEVER going to be a nurse because it seemed like so many people wanted to kill them. This was a few years after Speck killed the nurses in Chicago. My father just laughed. Of course, I did go to nursing school and worked as a nurse for forty years;) And I did have a crazed patient who turned out to be a stalking rapist who stalked me. My first job as a nurse. Knew where I lived because he waited outside the hospital in his car and followed me home. Happily, my fella and I moved to New York so he never got a chance to carry out his plans but it was traumatic. I should have listened to my younger self.

by Anonymousreply 195December 17, 2018 4:08 PM

^ Except the Hitchcock episode aired BEFORE the Speck murders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196December 17, 2018 6:06 PM

It was the early sixties and I'm 68 now so I might have seen another program where nurses were the target of a serial killer to lead me to that conclusion. I thought it was the true crime murders of the nurses in Chicago that spooked me. My father believed that being a nurse was a noble calling for a woman and tried to edge me towards that as a career choice which is why I was so adamant that I wasn't gonna do it. I assure you that everything else in my post is accurate and true, r196;)

by Anonymousreply 197December 17, 2018 9:17 PM

The first season of Space: 1999 had quite a few horror-oriented episodes, I think someone has already mentioned the Dragon's Domain episode. But End of Eternity was really the psychologically terrifying episode, featuring Peter Bowles as a man who cannot be killed. Bowles performance was so influential that a small cult grew up around the character and he wound up with multiple stalkers. But the episode's most terrifying, brutal scene is where Bowles warps someone's psyche and turns him into an assassin, targeting Martin Landau's Koenig. The ONLY way they were able to present this violent and disturbing a scene was because the show was syndicated, it would never have made past network S&P. But then a lot of 1999 was like that. At 30:05...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198December 17, 2018 10:08 PM

V, the miniseries. I was freaked out by this lady eating a rat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199December 18, 2018 2:03 AM

Another vote for the fembots on The Bionic Woman. When Jamie pulls the face off the fembots, that scared me shitless.

by Anonymousreply 200December 18, 2018 4:06 AM

The Bicycle Man episode of Different Strokes many have mentioned, freaked me right on out.

That's Incredible had an episode that had something about EVPs, but I cannot find it.

ANYTHING with clowns, or talking dolls- no ma'am!

by Anonymousreply 201December 18, 2018 6:01 AM

I was 5 years old, in the room where my mother had on a soap opera. I didn't know the details of the story, obviously, but there was a woman who was a passenger in a car, trying desperately to get out. She ended up leaping from the speeding car, and was lying on the side of the road, motionless and bloody.

To this day, I'll occasionally have nightmares of falling out of a speeding car, especially on mountainside roads or when traveling over a bridge, where there's nothing to catch my fall.

Years later, in the internet age, I googled to find out if this really happened or was all my imagination. Nope, it really happened on "The Edge of Night", and I found the character page (including pictures of the character's body after the accident). And the actress was Dorothy Lyman, who I was a big fan of on "All My Children" and "Mama's Family"!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202December 18, 2018 1:22 PM

R201, “That’s Incredible” always freaked me out. They’d have people who swallowed swords and similar things that I found scary as a kid

by Anonymousreply 203December 18, 2018 4:48 PM

The "Shadow Man" episode of the the New Twilight Zone series. To summarize: A kid discovers a murderous shadow living under his bed, but the shadow tells him "I will never harm the one under whose bed I live." The Shadow Man keeps his word, but the ending is still a great twist AND fucking terrifying. Especially for me, as I was never a kid who liked the dark and I was always certain their were monsters under the bed at night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204December 18, 2018 7:46 PM

There was a Marcus Welby where Sally Field, playing twins, was lighting a grill. The lighter fluid exploded and her caftan (Yes) caught one fire. Her estranged twin sister, also played by Field, had to give her skin grafts (Or something like that). I still wince if I see someone lighting a charcoal grill and carry on about not adding anymore fluid!!

by Anonymousreply 205December 18, 2018 8:10 PM

An episode of Lottery! where there was a house fire and some kid seemed to be unable to get out of his bedroom because the door was inexplicably jammed. I thought doors swelled up in house fires because people on television always seemed unable to force doors open if there was a fire.

by Anonymousreply 206December 18, 2018 10:41 PM

The Guinness Book Of World Records started having tv specials in the 1970s I think.

Guinness Prime Time (a tv series in the late 90s) had plenty of scary stunts & folks who could bug out their eyes or even squirt milk out of them! Gross!!!

Here's a clip of the world's tallest woman at the time. I bet she scared plenty of adults shitless in her day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207December 18, 2018 10:50 PM

Wasn't the Shadow Man episode going to be Harlan Ellison's directorial debut?

by Anonymousreply 208December 18, 2018 11:09 PM

Read all about it season 1 episode 3. What kind of sick bastard thought this show was good for kids. I still get chills listening to the opening song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209December 18, 2018 11:24 PM

Angel On The Line - Charlie's Angels Season 5 Episode 11 (especially the last 10 minutes)

I remember watching it with my family & none of them were happy with the scary twist!

Talk about some uncomfortable moments on 2-14-81.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210December 19, 2018 4:23 PM

Never heard of Read All About It. What a freaky show. You were right to be scared.

by Anonymousreply 211December 19, 2018 9:03 PM

R207, I was friends with Sandy Allen. I miss her.

by Anonymousreply 212December 19, 2018 11:03 PM

R212 What can you tell us about her?

Anything that hasn't been in books or tv interviews?

Did she golf, play Nintendo or arm wrestle people for fun/money?

by Anonymousreply 213December 19, 2018 11:06 PM

The X-Files, "Home."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214December 19, 2018 11:10 PM

She had a lot of pain because she was so tall. She lived in Terre Haute IN.

by Anonymousreply 215December 19, 2018 11:16 PM

This:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216December 19, 2018 11:33 PM

R215 Sandy was born in Shelbyville Indiana, moved to Niagara Falls Canada in the late 70s & then back to Indiana (Indianapolis).

Can you tell me when she lived in Terre Haute Indiana?

by Anonymousreply 217December 20, 2018 12:04 AM

As a journalist in Indiana, I had the pleasure of interviewing Sandy several times. She was a delightful lady and very funny; she joked about beating Donald Sutherland at arm wrestling on the set of Casanova, and almost tripping and falling on set. Apparently she asked the director, "Mr. Fellini, how do you say TIMBER! in Italian?"

by Anonymousreply 218December 20, 2018 12:33 AM

R218 I bet "Meg" is really Rita Rose in disguise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219December 20, 2018 12:38 AM

Haha!;)

by Anonymousreply 220December 20, 2018 12:44 AM

The Outer Limits had several episodes that scared me as a kid, but the one that stands out was "The Sixth Finger", where a scientist turns a not-too-bright miner (David McCallum) into a super-intellect. Unfortunately, he keeps progressing, with his features turning hideous. Scared the absolute shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 221December 20, 2018 12:50 AM

The Haunting of Barney Palmer (1987). This was movie shown on the WonderWorks program, which was kind of the kid version of Masterpiece Theater. For a kid, this was creepy and scary.

Sometimes the 1960's show "The Avengers" would creep me out, because the street scenes were often empty of people, except for the leads or a particular guest actor. Turns out they didn't have enough money to pay extras, so they were forced to use empty streets. One particular episode that creeps me out was called "Murderville". That town haunts my dreams still.

I wasn't a kid when I saw this episode, but the Doctor Who episode "Blink" freaked me out.

by Anonymousreply 222December 20, 2018 1:11 AM

"The Jar", from "Alfred Hitchcock Presents", had a hell of a cast: Pat Buttram, Collin WiIcox, George LIndsay, William Marshall, Jane Darwell, James Best, Slim PIckens, Billy Barty. It was based on a story by Ray Bradbury.

by Anonymousreply 223December 20, 2018 1:15 AM

"Dark Shadows" could be terrifying at times. There was a female on the show who got killed by a werewolf; at the end of that episode the final image was of her ravaged bloody body, and the camera lingered over it. Barnaba's imprisonment of Maggie was also horrifying. At one point he closes her up in a coffin! Scary, kids.

by Anonymousreply 224December 20, 2018 1:19 AM

R214, Yes, that X Files episode 'Home' about the inbred family, was really frightening to take in.

by Anonymousreply 225December 20, 2018 1:55 AM

Because of it's amateurish production values, Dark Shadows rarely scared me. But there was one episode where Barnabas walls up Reverend Trask alive that shook me up. When he puts the last brick in, it upset this little kid for sure.

by Anonymousreply 226December 20, 2018 2:14 AM

The "Home" episode of "The X-Files" was downright cartoonish. When I saw the first few minutes of it I thought it was a bad horror movie. The deformities of the Peacock family was so obviously horror movie makeup that they were just ludicrous, not frightening at all.

by Anonymousreply 227December 20, 2018 2:23 AM

the maid having epilepsy on Diff'rent Strokes. I thought it was a disease as communicable as the cold, except you'd suddenly start shaking violently and uncontrollably. I wondered if I got caught it when I was old enough to drive, would I wreck.

Based on this thread, Diff'rent Strokes was a pretty scary show.

by Anonymousreply 228December 20, 2018 2:27 AM

R227 Did someone say peacock?

by Anonymousreply 229December 20, 2018 2:28 AM

R209 I loved Read All About It. We watched it in second grade during reading class on Fridays. Dunedon looks like a drag queen!

by Anonymousreply 230December 20, 2018 2:31 AM

“Blink” was intense, r222 - but “Midnight” from the following season was far more terrifying, IMO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231December 20, 2018 2:44 AM

I have three that come to mind.

1964 - The Outer Limits episode "The Architects of Fear." I was four years old. It was about Robert Culp volunteering to be surgically carved up to become an alien creature to scare the world into peace by uniting all countries against an alien enemy. (see link)

1965 - Alfred Hitchcock's "The Unlocked Window' gave me nightmares because my grandmother was a nurse who resembled the psycho tranny nurse. At five years old, I couldn't wrap my head around that show not being real. I dreamt about Dana Wynter ripping the nurse's dress and exposing a man's hairy chest as he was strangling her.

1966 - The 8th Man. I think the episode was The Atomic Witch. I remember it being about a class trip to a Nuclear Power Plant. A girl gets exposed to radiation and is hospitalized in critical condition. Whenever she falls asleep, the radiation causes a witch like alter-ego to materialize and go on a killing spree. What freaked me out as a six year old was that nobody could figure out how to kill the witch without killing the young girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232December 20, 2018 3:36 AM

So, what happened to the girl and the witch in 8th Man R232?

by Anonymousreply 233December 20, 2018 4:40 AM

[R233]

They killed the witch by shutting off the nuclear generator that created her. When she died, the young girl died as well. It was pretty grim stuff for a cartoon back then!

by Anonymousreply 234December 20, 2018 10:09 AM

Star Trek: The Next Generation "Conspiracy"

Evil aliens take over Star Fleet Command

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235December 21, 2018 10:21 PM

Disney's Sleepy Hollow that the show aired most Halloweens. Suspenseful but comical for much of the movie - including a funny, goofy horse, and then it follows through with Irving's bleak ending.

Scooby had a headless horseman episode that also got me a little nervous, but I think that was due to the impression the Disney episode had left on me of the character. In general, the scariest Scooby episodes were probably from the original series.

by Anonymousreply 236December 21, 2018 11:15 PM

R235 I Tripp out too when his head blow up

by Anonymousreply 237December 22, 2018 5:29 AM

When Brett Sinclair (Roger Moore) and Danny Wilde (Tony Curtis) are discovering the little plane with the skeleton inside...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238December 22, 2018 6:15 AM

Any episode of Godzilla's 1978 cartoon.

He always looked pissed off (even when interacting with his "friends").

I can't imagine little kids enjoying this ticked off tyrant for very long.

Maybe he just needed to get laid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239December 22, 2018 8:05 PM

"Death Of The Incredible Hulk" (continuing the tv series sporadically).

Banner dies at the end by falling from an exploding plane but was supposed to return in "The Revenge of The Incredible Hulk".

Bixby's health caused the film to be shelved so the character really died in this ending.

The next outing was supposed to have the Hulk get Banner's brain just like in the comic books.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240December 23, 2018 9:49 PM

any episode of land of the lost

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241December 24, 2018 2:29 PM

For a show marketed for kids, the Hulk was a pretty depressing show. David Bannon was basically in some sort of mental and/or emotional anguish for most of the episode, and at some point would get tormented or physically tortured enough he would turn into the Hulk. He had a pretty miserable existence.

by Anonymousreply 242December 24, 2018 2:40 PM

R242 That might be true but I'm guessing there were plenty of kids who tuned in just to see the Hulk go berserk

so they would sit through anything that made David Banner angry & TPTB knew it.

by Anonymousreply 243December 24, 2018 5:31 PM

R242 You're right. As a kid, I always felt a little bad for Bruce because he always had to leave with that theme song playing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244December 25, 2018 2:19 AM

It's hard for me to pin down the scariest episode in this brief series.

I was quite young when it was on & remember the "killer android"one the most.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245December 26, 2018 4:56 AM

Thomas the Tank Engine where Gordon plows into a carriage filled with Kipper.

by Anonymousreply 246December 26, 2018 5:14 AM

I had forgotten how, perhaps not scary, but unsettling 1975's The UFO Incident was. This was a TV movie featuring James Earl Jones and Estelle Parsons as Betty and Barney Hill, a real-life couple who, under hypnosis, said they were abducted by aliens. The film is quite the opposite of sensational regarding the subject matter, it is actually very matter-of-fact about it all, which makes things even creepier. Outstanding performances by Jones and Parsons, with Barnard Hughes giving solid support. Very cinematic for a TV movie. There's two decent quality versions on Youtube, the one posted here and a clearer one with subtitles:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247December 28, 2018 12:20 PM

The UFO Incident, clearer version, english language but with subtitles:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248December 28, 2018 12:22 PM

Several:

The lizard alien baby on V

Alan Arkin on The Muppet Show - he got ahold of some Jekyll and Hyde potion that turned him (and a bunch of bunnies) into vampires. I don't know why, but it was absolutely terrifying to a 6 year old.

The Purple Smurfs - somewhat similar to the vampire Muppet bunnies - the Smurfs would get bit by a purple fly and turn into zombie-like creatures who ran around biting each other and saying "Gnap!"

Another Little House episode where a crazy woman whose daughter had drowned hallucinated that Laura was her daughter Ellen, and locked her in her cellar full of rats. What a fucked-up show that was...and it was presented as "wholesome"!

Vegetable Soup, a PBS kids' show that was like Sesame Street if its creators were all acid burnouts. Especially the segments called "Interscope" with some kids lost in space who had wooden, expressionless puppet faces and human hands. So fucking creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249December 28, 2018 1:11 PM

R221, have you ever watched it to prep for a colonoscopy?

by Anonymousreply 250December 28, 2018 1:48 PM

"The Glass Eye" - Alfred Hitchcock Presents

It starred Jessica Tandy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251December 28, 2018 1:51 PM

ARGHHH!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252December 28, 2018 2:04 PM

America's Most Wanted which had real scary creatures.

Take your pick of the 1,186 episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253December 28, 2018 3:53 PM

Star Trek Deep Space 9

The series finale was the scariest of the series.

I still hear the screams of L. Fletcher

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254December 28, 2018 10:20 PM

How about a commercial?

I remember having to leave the room when this ad for the movie "Magic" (starring Anthony Hopkins) came on the air.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255December 28, 2018 10:52 PM

I have no idea what the movie was, but I remember an ad for some horror movie where two people showering together were crushed by the shower walls and the ad made some joke about their "togetherness." Traumatized me and gave me nightmares for years. Have ever since always been on alert to jump out of the shower.

by Anonymousreply 256December 28, 2018 10:57 PM

Take Your Pick

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257January 8, 2019 7:49 AM

R257 I have a ringtone of the girl saying "daddy daddy please. I'm not your daddy"

by Anonymousreply 258January 8, 2019 5:59 PM

The zombie Vulcans of Star Trek Enterprise!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259January 9, 2019 4:40 PM

R209, WTF ? It ends like that ?

This is some hardcore educative program ! If you find only 4 synonyms to this word, instead of 5, you get gased in the chamber. Muhaha ! Uh ?

I remeber that episode, that was a neat twist.

by Anonymousreply 260January 13, 2019 5:23 PM

Oops, the last sentence was supposed to be : R204, I remember that episode. ..

by Anonymousreply 261January 13, 2019 5:29 PM

Don't remember the show, but it was a trilogy. One was about these evil dolls that came to life, with sharp, pointy teeth and knives. They would go.. "Ya.. ya.. ya..".. chasing people and cutting them up.

by Anonymousreply 262January 13, 2019 7:04 PM

The "Starsky and Hutch" episode called The Vampire (first aired October 30, 1976).

I remember a scene where the vampire runs toward the camera, and it scared the hell out of this 7-year-old kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263January 13, 2019 9:02 PM

Kolchak: The Night Stalker, The Vampire episode about the female vampire set in L.A. The series was on Friday nights at 10 pm Eastern when I was really young, like 1st or 2nd grade. My parents allowed my brother and me to stay up late on Fridays and Saturdays, so it was a treat to see a scary TV show and we both loved that genre. The Vampire had two really scary scenes that I remember to this day. The first was the opening scene, where a woman gets a flat tire on a lonely stretch of road on her way to work. She is changing her tire in the background when in the blurry foreground you see movement. It turns out to be two arms sticking up out of the ground with hands waving around. The vampiress is waking up and crawling out of her grave!

The second scene was toward the end. Kolchak has tracked the vampire to her lair, a lonely, broken down house on a hill on the outskirts of L.A. You can hear the vampire hissing in the background off and on as Kolchak tries to break into her house/lair, as she's tracking Kolchak. He is on her back patio, he hears a noise, turns and shines his flashlight on her face as she bears her fangs, hisses, and looks determined to kill him. Both those scenes scared the shit out of me and my brother.

Others upthread have mentioned a couple other episodes. Pere Malfait, the Spanish moss monster. Kolchak is searching for the monster in the sewers when it rises up behind him. Scary shit when you're 5 or 6 years old! Also, the Rakshasa, which tricked you into thinking it was someone you knew but was a big, hairy, scary monster. Such a fun series for those of us who grew up in the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 264January 13, 2019 9:11 PM

The Vidiians from Star Trek Voyager. Aliens (with a horrible disease) harvest organs & even faces of other races in order to stay alive or to just function daily.

Some Jumping Points = R7, R17, R27, R37, R47, R57, R67, R77, R87, R97, R107, R117, R127, R137, R147, R157, R167, R177, R187, R197, R207, R217, R227, R237, R247, R257, R267.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265January 13, 2019 9:25 PM

This episode of One Step Beyond

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266January 14, 2019 3:39 AM

The episode of "Girls" where Lens Dunham is in a bikini for the entire episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267January 14, 2019 3:43 AM

And yet she's probably still thinner than most of the datalounge

by Anonymousreply 268January 14, 2019 3:47 AM

The FOL episode where Natalie's attempted rape happened. I know she was supposed to be dressed Chaplin but she looked more like Hitler.

I guess what you don't see is even scarier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269January 14, 2019 4:41 AM

This

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270January 14, 2019 4:45 AM

Tne Night Gallery episode with Roddy McDowell.

by Anonymousreply 271January 14, 2019 6:49 AM

The “Scarecrow” episode of the delightfully campy Friday the 13th: The Series. Cousins Mickey and Ryan hunt for cursed antiques brings them to rural community where the crops are only bountiful if a cursed scarecrow kills someone. The two cousins fight off townspeople depending on the scarecrow for their crops, the murderous scarecrow itself and inappropriate sexual tension.

by Anonymousreply 272January 14, 2019 3:43 PM

Forgot the link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273January 14, 2019 3:44 PM

The opening sequence of the Tales from the Darkside show scared me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274January 14, 2019 3:48 PM

Bionic Woman's fembot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275January 14, 2019 3:54 PM

R262

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276January 15, 2019 4:02 AM

I'm 44 and that photo just scared me shitless, R275.

by Anonymousreply 277January 15, 2019 4:14 AM

I'm another one of the kids who was terrified by the Alfred Hitchcock Hour episode: "An Unlocked Window." When the fat nurse is revealed to be a homicidal man, it was the first time in my young life that I had ever seen/heard of a man pretending to be a woman. That had never occurred to me before (I was around 11). I never forgot that episode. Boy, Hitchcock had some great, great shows!

by Anonymousreply 278January 15, 2019 4:28 AM

My pick is "Little Girl Lost" from R257's Twilight Zone link.

by Anonymousreply 279January 15, 2019 7:36 AM

That's it R276.. thanks!

by Anonymousreply 280January 15, 2019 12:42 PM

I never watched the "Twilight Zone" when I was a kid, because the theme song in the beginning really scared me.

by Anonymousreply 281January 15, 2019 12:45 PM

[quote](poor Mrs. Howell looked 130).

She was 134 in real life

by Anonymousreply 282January 15, 2019 4:12 PM

r255, I posted about the movie Magic here before, I saw it in the theater when I was a kid, and it fucked me up. When I confessed to my mom that I saw it and was still having nightmares, couldn't sleep, she was like "There's a reason why kids aren't allowed in to see R-rated movies." I can't stand any sort of horror movie to this day.

by Anonymousreply 283January 15, 2019 5:41 PM

We had a series in the UK in the 80s called Tales of the Unexpected, and there was an episode called the Flypaper. Anyway, my parents probably shouldn't have let me watch it and it still haunts me to this day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284January 15, 2019 6:30 PM

Lonesome Dove.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285January 15, 2019 7:01 PM

V creeped me out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286January 15, 2019 7:08 PM

As an 8 year old gay boy in 1987, I loved watching Another World with my mother, but the sin stalker storyline scared the shit out of me! Being so invested in the characters and not knowing who would be the next victim was too much to take! And watching him plan his next kill wearing those fucking gloves!! I still remember that bastard chasing Donna up the lighthouse!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287January 15, 2019 7:46 PM

An episode of Benson where Didi Conn’s character goes into labor while stuck in an elevator. I was probably around 5 and for some reason that really scared me and contributed to my general unease and claustrophobia in elevators.

by Anonymousreply 288January 15, 2019 8:04 PM

The Sins of the Fathers on Night Gallery.

by Anonymousreply 289January 15, 2019 8:20 PM

R284 that was one nasty episode. I remember this series. I watched it in the early 80s with my famil. It was translated. It was usually mean-spirited and captivating. Not scary per say, but sometimes unsettling.

by Anonymousreply 290January 16, 2019 12:45 AM

Bad Ronald (technically a TV movie and not an episode).

Nevertheless, it freaked me out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291March 16, 2019 3:33 AM

Salems lot...the boy vampire outside the window..why was i allowed to watch that...still traumatises me. And V. It seemed so real..but when its first revealed they are harboiring us as food. Its proof that kids should Not be allowed see such tv. And The day after tomorrow...needs a mention.

by Anonymousreply 292March 16, 2019 4:21 AM

The decapitated head on The Omen

by Anonymousreply 293March 18, 2019 4:58 AM

R18 Dudley's line was more disturbing than that, somehow. It was "he tried to feel me." Something about the word "feel" makes it worse.

by Anonymousreply 294March 18, 2019 5:02 AM

The Twilight zone episode where the howling man in the castle is freed by this traveler and turns out to be the Devil. Still scares the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 295March 18, 2019 5:12 AM

The Scooby Doo episode where they went to Greece and saw the Minotaur.

This thing scared me so much. I was afraid he lived in the woods surrounding my house and would get me one day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296March 18, 2019 5:39 AM

One of the Punky Brewster Halloween episodes... where the kids get lost in a cave. Scared the hell out of me as a 5 year old!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297March 18, 2019 2:50 PM

Jessica Fletcher as a prostitute on "Murder, She Wrote."

by Anonymousreply 298March 18, 2019 2:55 PM

Punky Brewster’s infamous fridge episode. That poor kid dying in the fridge scared the shit out of me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299March 18, 2019 3:41 PM

A number of episodes of "Tales of the Unexpected" scared the bejesus out of me.

by Anonymousreply 300March 18, 2019 7:40 PM

A few episodes of Tales From the Crypt for me. Especially the one with Patricia Arquette and the scarecrow, the one with Billy Wirth as the lumberjack, and especially the one where the guy thinks his wife is having an affair with his best friend, but really they're planning a surprise party for him because she is pregnant. The guy kills his friend and hangs him on some antlers in a cabin and that scared me a lot.

Actually, I think they made me feel more uneasy than scared, but I didn't like it too much.

by Anonymousreply 301March 19, 2019 2:09 AM

Ditto R128 and R129! Massively creepy and unforgettable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302March 19, 2019 2:29 AM

The dracula TV movies that were shown in 1974,75, and 76 scared the absolute shit out of me.

Frankenstein was a stupid, lumbering ox who couldn't even bend his arms.... and you could hear him coming from a mile away.

BUT, Drac was smart and crafty and sneaky. He could turn into a bat, fly up to your bedroom window, push it open, and GET YOUR ASS.

by Anonymousreply 303March 19, 2019 2:43 AM

There was an episode of Thriller, hosted by Boris Karloff, about Jack the Ripper. Very few TV shows ever scared me but that one did when I was 12.

by Anonymousreply 304March 22, 2019 11:07 AM

An episode of STAR TREK where Bones is accused of being a serial killer, and they discover the killer is an "energy" being named Rejak that had been many different killers throughout history, including Jack the Ripper. I can still hear the being yelling out "Rejak, Rejak, Rejak" in a very high pitched male voice which terrified me.

Also, the episode "The Joker" from The Avengers, with Emma Peel invited to a weekend with a chess champion. He's gone when she gets there, and the house, full of life-sized playing cards, has a killer who is specifically stalking Emma.

by Anonymousreply 305March 22, 2019 11:24 AM

Why did the mask have a lazy eye? To make it creepier?

by Anonymousreply 306March 22, 2019 12:16 PM

This episode of Gumby. They were riding in a hot air balloon and ran out of propane and had to land in the forest. There they came across a Sasquatch. Made me afraid of ever riding in a hot air balloon and of sasquatches.

He comes in around 5:40 in the video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307March 23, 2019 5:45 AM

R305 it was Scotty not Bones

by Anonymousreply 308March 25, 2019 5:42 AM

R291 Bad Ronald scared the hell out of me, too

by Anonymousreply 309March 25, 2019 6:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!