Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oscar Season: 2018 Movies, Part 5

And the discussion continues....

by Anonymousreply 600December 29, 2018 7:26 AM

[quote]Theron was considered a joke and horrible actress. I'm not really sure how the narrative got changed by THAT performance

Sometimes it only takes one performance to change people's opinion.

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2018 11:50 PM

Theron should have won Oscar for best makeup not best actress

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2018 11:52 PM

R1 Jessica Lange ?

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2018 11:52 PM

R3, when Jessica Lange first appeared on the scene in "King Kong" back in (I think) 1976, she was basically thought of as a joke. What changed people's opinion of her was her performance opposite Jack Nicholson in the remake of "The Postman Always Rings Twice." From that point forward, she was respected as an actress.

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2018 11:59 PM

Jane Fonda was finally taken seriously as an actress when she starred in “They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?”

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2018 12:02 AM

Angelica Huston was considered a joke. Primarily known as John's daughter and Jack Nicholson's no-talent girlfriend.

Prizzi's Honor changed all that! (this could be it's own thread).

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2018 12:26 AM

Kevin Hart just announced as the 2019 Oscars host.

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2018 12:50 AM

I won’t watch it, then. Not live, anyway. I detest Kevin Hart.

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2018 12:55 AM

When did Theron's son become a daughter? Isn't he eight, tops?

The Sean Penn shit didn't help either. She may be done.

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2018 1:08 AM

R9 ...

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2018 1:27 AM

Just watched Widows. What a piece of shit. This thing was supposed to get Oscar nominations? Viola snot cries in the first five minutes and gives a truly terrible performance. I didn't buy one thing that came out of her mouth, and her cry of anguish when she's alone mourning her dead husband (we all know this, it's in the trailer and happens in the first five minutes of the film), was pretty much high school level acting.

Completely don't get all the praise for Debicki. She was fine, but nothing special. Horrifyingly enough, the best performance in the film came from Michelle Rodriguez. When in your life did you ever expect to hear that sentence.

And Daniel Kaluuya is 100% talent free. Def in the worst of the year category.

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2018 5:41 AM

How is Glenn? Is she hospitalized already?

by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2018 9:54 AM

R12 WIDOWS has a multiracial cast (and a black director who is a previous Oscar-nominee) and was about empowered women -- pure Oscar bait these days! If the film had been a hit, you'd better believe it it would've gotten showered with nominations.

by Anonymousreply 13December 5, 2018 1:35 PM

R7, Hart is only under consideration for the hosting gig.

by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2018 1:57 PM

Paul Schrader said on his Facebook page that he really wants to make a movie with Kevin Spacey, despite the allegations of sexual misconduct against the actor.

“I was sent a script yesterday. A very very very good script which screamed Kevin Spacey for the lead. I told the producer I’d direct it if they would make it with Kevin. The producer responded that that was not possible. I believe there are crimes in life but no crimes in art. Spacey should be punished for any crimes his actual person created. But not for art. All art is a crime. Punishing him as an artist only diminishes art. Put Celine in jail, put Pound in jail, punish Wilde and Bruce if you must, but do not censor their art.”

by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2018 1:59 PM

"Widows" isn't awful, just awfully over-hyped. Certainly not Oscar-worthy

by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2018 2:02 PM

Paul Schrader needs to start living in the the real world. It’s called show business, not show art.

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2018 2:40 PM

No, it's officially confirmed that Kevin Hart is hosting, R14.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2018 2:45 PM

Widows felt like a first draft of a script went into production.

by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2018 3:17 PM

Hart? It must be a sign that I will recover from my heart attack in time to attend the ceremony! Thank you for your prayers, all of you.

by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2018 6:05 PM

The Nominations for the 76th Golden Globe Awards will be streamed LIVE on our Facebook page this Thursday at 5:05 AM PST. Join us there to help us kick off Awards Season!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 6, 2018 12:44 AM

Mary Poppins Returns will get a shitload of GG nominations.

by Anonymousreply 22December 6, 2018 12:46 AM

NINE got 5 (Picture, 3 acting nods, song).

by Anonymousreply 23December 6, 2018 12:49 AM

First Man only made $44M. That's pathetic. I thought it was supposed to be a big hit.

by Anonymousreply 24December 6, 2018 12:51 AM

Gosling is so bland and boring

by Anonymousreply 25December 6, 2018 12:55 AM

Yeah Gosling does nothing for me. He's competent but the least exciting actor ever.

by Anonymousreply 26December 6, 2018 12:59 AM

yeah, I hate looking at Gosling for some reason. Always have. Charisma-challenged.

by Anonymousreply 27December 6, 2018 12:59 AM

I prefer Ed Norton to Ryan Gosling. They are filed next to each other in my brain.

by Anonymousreply 28December 6, 2018 2:26 AM

Paul Schrader's films are always interesting, but rarely fully successful.

I did like THE WALKER.

by Anonymousreply 29December 6, 2018 6:47 AM

Please watch my press conference which will immediately follow the Golden Globes nominations announcement.

by Anonymousreply 30December 6, 2018 6:54 AM

Paul Schrader stripped off all of his clothes and got naked before Lindsay Lohan during the shooting of “Canyons”. I wonder if it will come up considering all the "MeToo" stuff.

by Anonymousreply 31December 6, 2018 7:31 AM

Shoot, I forgot to make my GG predictions on GoldDerby. Oh well.

When does SAG announce?

by Anonymousreply 32December 6, 2018 10:08 AM

R32 next Wednesday (Dec. 12)

by Anonymousreply 33December 6, 2018 10:11 AM

R12, SAG nominations are announced on 12 December.

by Anonymousreply 34December 6, 2018 10:11 AM

76th Golden Globe Awards

Best Actress in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture

Amy Adams

Claire Foy

Regina King

Emma Stone b (Category Fraud)

Rachel Weisz (Category Fraud)

by Anonymousreply 35December 6, 2018 12:50 PM

Best Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture

Mahershala Ali

Timothee Chalamet

Adam Driver

Richard E. Grant

Sam Rockwell

by Anonymousreply 36December 6, 2018 12:50 PM

The Golden Globe noms are pretty boring. And I hate the way they do it, mixing up the TV with all the movie ones.

Bleah.

by Anonymousreply 37December 6, 2018 12:51 PM

[bold]Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama[/bold]

Glenn Close

Lady Gaga

Nicole Kidman

Melissa McCarthy

Rosamund Pike

[bold]Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy[/bold]

Emily Blunt

Olivia Colman

Elsie Fisher

Charlize Theron

Constance Wu

by Anonymousreply 38December 6, 2018 12:52 PM

[bold]Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama[/bold]

Bradley Cooper

Willem Dafoe

Lucas Hedges

Rami Malek

John David Washington

[bold]Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy[/bold]

Christian Bale

Lin-Manuel Miranda

Viggo Mortensen

Robert Redford

John C. Reilly

by Anonymousreply 39December 6, 2018 12:56 PM

Golden Globes: The complete list of nominees

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 6, 2018 12:57 PM

It’s straight up category fraud that Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz are going in supporting.

by Anonymousreply 41December 6, 2018 1:00 PM

What’s an actress to do when the lead-actress competition is tight? She switches from the lead category to the supporting category, screen time be damned. Viola Davis did this in 2017 for Fences, since Emma Stone seemed like the front-runner in the lead category for La La Land (and ended up winning). Kate Winslet did the same thing in 2009 for more complicated reasons: she was starring in two contenders, Revolutionary Road and The Reader, so instead of submitting both performances in the lead-actress category, she spread them over two categories—and won both statuettes. The Oscars, however, was onto the game; that ceremony nominated (and eventually awarded) Winslet for her performance in The Reader, but in its rightful lead-actress category.

by Anonymousreply 42December 6, 2018 1:02 PM

Despite being the lead of the 2005 drama Syriana, George Clooney nipped over to the supporting category and won, before doing the same thing at the Oscars. The previous year, Jamie Foxx was submitted in the supporting category for the drama Collateral—presumably because even though he was the ostensible lead, his co-star Tom Cruise was the bigger name and thus more likely to win awards. Cruise ultimately wasn’t even nominated, but Foxx was—for both a Globe and an Oscar. Timothy Hutton was also dealt a similar hand in 1981 for the Robert Redford drama Ordinary People. He was young and far from a marquee name, which propelled him right into the supporting category.

by Anonymousreply 43December 6, 2018 1:04 PM

[quote]Viola Davis did this in 2017 for Fences, since Emma Stone seemed like the front-runner in the lead category for La La Land (and ended up winning)

She learned her lesson from five years earlier when she was adamant about being placed in Lead Actress and then lost the Oscar to Streep. She would've easily won the Oscar then, too, since Aibileen is borderline supporting. Emma Stone's character was the true (and, IMO, the only) lead.

by Anonymousreply 44December 6, 2018 1:06 PM

Is Vice a comedy?

by Anonymousreply 45December 6, 2018 1:10 PM

[quote]Kate Winslet did the same thing in 2009 for more complicated reasons: she was starring in two contenders, Revolutionary Road and The Reader, so instead of submitting both performances in the lead-actress category, she spread them over two categories—and won both statuettes. The Oscars, however, was onto the game; that ceremony nominated (and eventually awarded) Winslet for her performance in The Reader, but in its rightful lead-actress category.

IMO, Winslet was supporting in THE READER. The story is about the boy and is told from his POV. Plus, he's the title character. Also, there are stretches when Hanna is absent from the screen as the story focuses on Michael's personal/family life and follows him through law school . I think people got confused because 1) Winslet's status, and 2) Michael was played by two different actors (as a youngster and as a middle-aged man) giving the impression that his character is supporting.

by Anonymousreply 46December 6, 2018 1:12 PM

Your Santeria worked, Glenn Close troll/s.

by Anonymousreply 47December 6, 2018 1:14 PM

R45 it's a black comedy ripping off... I mean, done in the vein of THE WOLF OF WALL STREET and I, TONYA. The biopic black comedy based on a notorious/despicable person is the new thing now.

by Anonymousreply 48December 6, 2018 1:15 PM

It's bizarre to me that A STAR IS BORN and BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY are competing in Drama, because in the recent past they would've been placed in Musical/Comedy a la WALK THE LINE and LA VIE EN ROSE.

by Anonymousreply 49December 6, 2018 1:16 PM

Their individual studios took a bet and didn't want to run them in Musical/Comedy. The gamble paid off.

by Anonymousreply 50December 6, 2018 1:17 PM

McKay’s previous movie The Big Short was in the GG comedy category too. Makes more sense than the two musicals in drama.

by Anonymousreply 51December 6, 2018 1:19 PM

Weisz in The Constant Gardener was also lead not supporting she was even nominated at lead at BAFTA but won Oscar in supporting category

by Anonymousreply 52December 6, 2018 1:22 PM

R3 it was Jessica Lange in Francis that was her break out performance.

by Anonymousreply 53December 6, 2018 1:31 PM

I don't think Weisz was lead in GARDENER. She was absent for much of the film. Just because she was the female with the most screen time doesn't make her a co-lead. The story was about Ralph Fiennes' character's quest to uncover the whole pharma industry corruption via his wife's murder. She was a mean's to an end. If it were about two gay men, the murdered spouse wouldn't be considered lead.

by Anonymousreply 54December 6, 2018 1:32 PM

I apologize for the apostrophe in 'means.'

by Anonymousreply 55December 6, 2018 1:32 PM

Frances 1982 sorry

by Anonymousreply 56December 6, 2018 1:33 PM

These noms are Chalamezing and hilarious all at once. To think that pile of hair metal shit, Bohemian Rhapsody, is better than the exquisite First Man is an abomination. And boo hoo, poor blubbering Sam Elliot doesn't get nominated. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 57December 6, 2018 1:34 PM

Since First Man wasn't getting any attention in the film critics circles or other awards prognosticating sites I wasn't surprised by the lack of nominations, but I don't agree with it. It was one of my favorite films this year. Chazelle did a tremendous job and I loved Gosling's performance. It's crazy that Foy would get a nomination for her role and not Gosling.

by Anonymousreply 58December 6, 2018 1:38 PM

Olivia Colman ought to get off her ass and start doing press.

by Anonymousreply 59December 6, 2018 1:48 PM

Is she deliberately not doing it, R59?

by Anonymousreply 60December 6, 2018 1:51 PM

Has The Crown wrapped?

by Anonymousreply 61December 6, 2018 1:54 PM

R54 and R46 It's the combination of importance of role in film and plot and the screen time that makes a it supporting or lead

by Anonymousreply 62December 6, 2018 1:57 PM

[quote]It's the combination of importance of role in film and plot and the screen time that makes a it supporting or lead

But also where the studio and/or an actors team wants them to be which is why there's always category fraud: Viola Davis going up for Supporting in "Fences" when she was a lead, Rooney Mara in Supporting for "Carol".

by Anonymousreply 63December 6, 2018 2:02 PM

Mara in Carol may be one of the worst category frauds ever. She had more screen time than Blanchett.

I really wish The Academy would start cracking down on the studios doing this.

by Anonymousreply 64December 6, 2018 2:08 PM

The studios campaign. The academy members nominate whomever they want.

by Anonymousreply 65December 6, 2018 2:10 PM

R63 that's true

by Anonymousreply 66December 6, 2018 2:10 PM

The Crown hasn’t wrapped yet and I’m sure when it does Colman will be over here for her coronation.

by Anonymousreply 67December 6, 2018 4:31 PM

Constance Fucking Wu, jesus.... she must have posed for some press photos and earned her way in. What a joke. Oscars or nothing.

by Anonymousreply 68December 6, 2018 8:12 PM

The biggest Golden Globes snubs for 2019: Ryan Gosling, Viola Davis and 'This Is Us'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 6, 2018 8:20 PM

I think Viola Davis doing season after season of How To Get Away With Murder is hurting her chances these days. As good as she is we’re becoming exhausted by her strenuous emoting.

by Anonymousreply 70December 6, 2018 8:30 PM

Yeah, her snot sobbing is getting old. It's not impressive anymore.

by Anonymousreply 71December 6, 2018 9:14 PM

She snot cried not one, not two, but THREE times in Widows.

by Anonymousreply 72December 6, 2018 9:44 PM

Sandra Oh is cohosting the Golden Globes? That’s a very... interesting choice.

by Anonymousreply 73December 6, 2018 10:08 PM

So... Does anybody know when the shortlist for short films will be announced ?

Anyone ?

by Anonymousreply 74December 7, 2018 12:57 AM

So, out of these nominees for drama actress, one will definitely give way to Olivia Coleman. Probably Nicole Kidman.

Glenn Close, Lady Gaga, Nicole Kidman, Melissa McCarthy, Rosamund Pike

But one might also give way to Emily Blunt, in which case, probably, Rosamund Pike.

which would make the Oscar nominees

Emily Blunt

Glenn Close

Olivia Coleman

Lady Gaga

Melissa McCarthy

With the winner probably being Gaga. If Pike stays in the game, I would say she might be a surprise winner. She's fierce in "A Private War."

by Anonymousreply 75December 7, 2018 1:14 AM

Collette gets nominated before Pike. Pike is NOT held in high esteem by the Hollywood community.

by Anonymousreply 76December 7, 2018 3:01 AM

Collette isn’t getting nominated for shit. No one cares about Hereditary. He Globes are just a harbinger of what’s NOT to come for Collette.

by Anonymousreply 77December 7, 2018 3:24 AM

Sez YOU, R77. She can still get in.

by Anonymousreply 78December 7, 2018 3:31 AM

Sorry, but no. The Collette Collapse has begun.

She will next be rejected by the LAFCA, then SAG, and finally BAFTA.

There is probably an Oscar in her future, but not this time.

by Anonymousreply 79December 7, 2018 3:38 AM

For those of you who care, Kevin Hart has now been fired from hosting the Oscars due to homophobic tweets in his past. My predictions for potential Oscar hosts are: Tiffany Hadish, Billy Eichner or Patton Oswalt

by Anonymousreply 80December 7, 2018 5:11 AM

They’ll beg Ellen to do it again. She’s in the ABC family, she’s already hosted several times without any huge missteps, and they’ll assume her hosting counteracts any homophobia complaints (although I can’t remember an instance where a comedian joked about rejecting a lesbian daughter). And she will do a fine, if unmemorable, job as host.

Haddish almost certainly already turned it down (which is why they chose Hart), and neither Eichner nor Oswalt are famous enough.

by Anonymousreply 81December 7, 2018 6:00 AM

R79 Indeed! That film is nothing but a silly horror film - something I've never scooped to unlike most of my peers.

by Anonymousreply 82December 7, 2018 6:09 AM

Who will give out Best Picture? It would be fucking incredible if they were able to get Barack Obama to do it. Or, (even better), Michelle!!!

by Anonymousreply 83December 7, 2018 7:26 AM

R83 No. I think Tara Reid, Lindsay Lohan & Paris Hilton are more to the Academy's bad taste and misjudgements.

by Anonymousreply 84December 7, 2018 7:31 AM

It seems that (finally) Spike Lee may get his first directing Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 85December 7, 2018 9:53 AM

Or not. AA doesn't always follow the GG choices. We have that discussion every year.

by Anonymousreply 86December 7, 2018 10:39 AM

R83 Michelle already did in 2013, when she presented Best Picture to ARGO. Many found that suspicious at the time.

by Anonymousreply 87December 7, 2018 11:49 AM

Glenn Close will not win the GG because of Gaga now, who no doubt is providing personal lapdances to members of the HFPA.

by Anonymousreply 88December 7, 2018 3:14 PM

R88 well Glenn can provide lapdance too if she still can.

by Anonymousreply 89December 7, 2018 4:05 PM

Will dear old Glenn be able to successfully pull off the lap dances even with the “tuck”? Curious to know.

by Anonymousreply 90December 7, 2018 4:39 PM

R90, well she can watch Showgirls for some guidance.

by Anonymousreply 91December 7, 2018 5:02 PM

Glenn should win to punish Gaga for her category fraud. I remember when True Detective was blazing hot but decided to put itself in Drama series categories at The Emmys and promptly lost almost all it's nominations. Had it gone miniseries where it belonged it may have cleaned up. Love it when these cheats get their just desserts.

by Anonymousreply 92December 7, 2018 5:14 PM

Toni Collette is a nominee for Best Actress by the Chicago Film Critics. BACK IN THE RUNNING, BABY!

by Anonymousreply 93December 7, 2018 5:33 PM

Well, let's be honest, the real cheat is Glenn starring in a film called THE WIFE. He wishes.

by Anonymousreply 94December 7, 2018 5:41 PM

Oh yeah, Chicago. That'll cinch it for sure.

by Anonymousreply 95December 7, 2018 5:42 PM

Chicago Film Critics didn't nominate Glenn Close. Better start practicing those lap dances, Glenn. Pronto.

by Anonymousreply 96December 7, 2018 5:49 PM

Glenn will definitely get in at SAG. They won't ignore her. The problem is her movie is so low key and came out ages ago now.

Will the person touting Toni Collette for an Oscar nom, please stop. She's great but this won't happen this year.

by Anonymousreply 97December 7, 2018 6:00 PM

It COULD, R97, it COULD. Block me if you don’t want to see me tout a great actress deserving of awards recognition for a daring, effective performance. bitch.

by Anonymousreply 98December 7, 2018 6:32 PM

R98 is having a stroke.

by Anonymousreply 99December 7, 2018 6:49 PM

R98 people don't deny she's a very good actress and I know the movie did well. Maybe in a weaker year she could have got a slot. You're naively repeating she will get in and I'm being a realist.

by Anonymousreply 100December 7, 2018 7:14 PM

I disagree, R98/100. I genuinely think she has a shot. OK, she’s not got a great shot and certainly not a lock. But she DOES have a shot. The realist in you has to acknowkedge the reviews she received for her performance. I am very confident actors will nominate her next week. That performance is COMMITTED. I think, in the eyes of actors, she gets in there before Pike and Ronan.

by Anonymousreply 101December 7, 2018 7:43 PM

I think Collette has a shot at 5th slot

by Anonymousreply 102December 7, 2018 7:46 PM

Doesn't Toni C have a MAJOR rep as a bitch? That might not help.

by Anonymousreply 103December 7, 2018 7:49 PM

R103 There was an article on Mirror! about her being a bitch on set but I never heard anything bad about her

by Anonymousreply 104December 7, 2018 7:51 PM

That article in the Mirror coincided with her playing the first female character on a BBC production to have an orgasm or something, so it's likely they were making it up.

by Anonymousreply 105December 7, 2018 8:23 PM

No, it's not likely they were making it up. What's MORE likely, r105, is that she's your latest obsession, and just like a dog with a bone, you can't let it go. You sound, actually, just like the Poppins Loon. Are you Matt the Loon?

by Anonymousreply 106December 7, 2018 9:22 PM

Let's focus all our positive energy on getting beloved Glenn at least one Critics award. Something. She endured Michael Douglas sucking her nipples for heaven's sake! She paid her dues.

by Anonymousreply 107December 7, 2018 9:32 PM

Michael Douglas #puke

by Anonymousreply 108December 7, 2018 9:35 PM

Viggo Mortensen sparked controversy when he used the N word at a public Q&A on his recent film Green Book Movie while discussing the endemic racism the film tackles.

The Golden Globes nominated actor now tells FRANCE 24 how his remarks were misinterpreted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109December 7, 2018 9:36 PM

R105 Yes I think it was total bs

by Anonymousreply 110December 7, 2018 9:36 PM

Viggo Mortensen should just fucking know that you don't use that word. He can have the best intentions in the world, but it was still stupid and clueless of him to use the word at all.

by Anonymousreply 111December 8, 2018 12:12 AM

My husband contracted “throat cancer” from that horrid “actress”. We do not take lightly to disease. After all, my father-in-law is more than 80 years my senior and all of us have actually received Academy Awards. What can she say for himself? Herself?

by Anonymousreply 112December 8, 2018 8:06 AM

Catherine are you saying Michael and Glennie had an affair? Or were there deleted scenes of Dan eating Alex's pussy and Mike's tongue slipped?

Are you sad Cocaine Godmother bombed?

by Anonymousreply 113December 8, 2018 11:38 AM

Kirk Douglas has never won a competitive Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 114December 8, 2018 2:27 PM

Kirk Douglas sucks.

by Anonymousreply 115December 8, 2018 2:29 PM

He also fucks like a demon.

by Anonymousreply 116December 8, 2018 2:38 PM

Kirk took Michael to whorehouses as soon as he turned 13 and was shooting loads. What a dad.

by Anonymousreply 117December 8, 2018 2:41 PM

Glenn needs to make sure she holds some private screenings for Academy members.

by Anonymousreply 118December 8, 2018 6:33 PM

R118, will she give them to suck her nipples?

by Anonymousreply 119December 8, 2018 6:37 PM

Glenn was forced into those explicit acts! She's a victim of misogyny and #metoo. A vote for her powerful performance in "The Wife" is a vote for women's rights!

by Anonymousreply 120December 8, 2018 6:46 PM

[quote]My husband contracted “throat cancer” from that horrid “actress”.

Michael Douglas got throat cancer from sucking too much cock

by Anonymousreply 121December 8, 2018 9:29 PM

Will box office for 'First Man' and 'Widows' affect their Oscar chances?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122December 8, 2018 10:08 PM

God, no more Viola Davis, please. Snot crying is not award-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 123December 8, 2018 10:12 PM

Widows was an unmitigated piece of shit that deserves NOTHING. If the same film was made with all white women and it was the Italian mob, it would have gotten savaged.

Claire Foy is a terrible actress. First I thought perhaps doing the American accent was holding her back, like happens sometimes with foreign born/raised actors, but then I saw her act in her native accent and, nope, she just straight up sucks.

I watched The Front Runner tonight. Terrific ensemble surrounding Jackman, but his performance was a big void (and that's how the character was written). I don't know a whole lot about who Gary hart was as a person but if he was this dull in real life, then I guess you could say Jackman nailed him. The problem with the film was we were told what a great candidate Hart was instead of seeing why, and we were told he connected with people instead of seeing how. The script never really delved into what made him stand out as a front runner, and it barely skirted at the possibility that he sabotaged himself because he was afraid of succeeding. All the materials were there to make it a compelling script and film, but then they went and hired Jason Reitman to direct.

Also, Jackman had a fuck of a time keeping the Aussie accent at bay.

by Anonymousreply 124December 9, 2018 3:09 AM

If Foy and/or Davis get in, it would be because they would benefit from Anglophilia and #OscarsSoWhite which is still affecting the Academy over 2 years later. Nothing about their performances are worthy of an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 125December 9, 2018 3:23 AM

R121 I always thought he got it from CZJ

by Anonymousreply 126December 9, 2018 4:22 AM

He started getting it from those old hookers his daddy Kirk would take him to when he was 13.

by Anonymousreply 127December 9, 2018 5:10 AM

Just watched Stan & Ollie. I thought it was a sweet, gentle, watchable film, if not somewhat tame and very formulaic. Reilly got the GG nom, but I felt Coogan was far better and also had the more complex role to play. The women were very good, too.

by Anonymousreply 128December 9, 2018 6:24 AM

R128 Women are never very good. Other than myself of course!

by Anonymousreply 129December 9, 2018 6:47 AM

R126 No he's a closet case and CZJ is a lezzie

by Anonymousreply 130December 9, 2018 7:10 AM

R130 I hope you're not serious or you've just been on DL too long and must need a break. Not everyone is gay.

by Anonymousreply 131December 9, 2018 12:21 PM

LA Film Critics voting going on now. I think either Colman or Collette get it.

by Anonymousreply 132December 9, 2018 7:36 PM

R132. Poor Glenn.

by Anonymousreply 133December 9, 2018 7:38 PM

Well, Colman got it and Collette was the runner-up.

COLLETTE WILL BE NOMINATED, PEOPLE. Pay attention.

by Anonymousreply 134December 9, 2018 7:39 PM

Sure, dear

by Anonymousreply 135December 9, 2018 7:46 PM

Hugh Grant was runner up for Paddington 2. So there goes your Toni Collette theory.

Somebody really needs to explain all the love for Elizabeth Debicki. I just don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 136December 9, 2018 7:48 PM

Glenn Close should begin to worry about getting that nomination for Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 137December 9, 2018 7:49 PM

Glenn is already making contingency plans in case she doesn't win... Sunset Boulevard!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138December 9, 2018 7:54 PM

R137, I don't think she's at that point yet. In all honesty, critics awards don't mean shit. Just ask NYFCC 2017 Supporting Actress Winner Tiffany Haddish. Or LAFCA 2013 Lead Actress Winner Adele Exarchopoulos. The big 3 (Globes, SAG, BAFTA) are the only real precursors to the Oscars. Glenn already got a nom for the Globes, so she's in good shape now. On Wednesday, SAG noms are out. If she doesn't get nominated there, she should start to get worried.

Glenn can easily still win the Oscar at this point. She, Colman, and Gaga seem to be the 3 frontrunners so far. I'm guessing Globes will go Colman/Gaga (the starfuckers already gave her one for AHS so they could do it again), SAG for Glenn (she's never one there), and then BAFTA for Colman (British national treasure playing British queen in a British movie). Since the Oscars never vote for middle aged breakout character actors ie Imelda Staunton to win Lead Actress and wouldn't award Gaga for both song AND actress, it looks like it's still Glenn's to lose.

by Anonymousreply 139December 9, 2018 8:06 PM

"In all honesty, critics awards don't mean shit. "

Funny that last year some crazy Timmy's fans were damn sure some critics' awards meant he surely wins that Oscar, lol.

by Anonymousreply 140December 9, 2018 8:31 PM

Your point being, R136? Grant could very well be nominated for an Oscar for Paddington 2. There are always surprise nominations for popular performances, dipshit.

by Anonymousreply 141December 9, 2018 8:49 PM

[quote]Hugh Grant was runner up for Paddington 2.

Seriously? LOL

by Anonymousreply 142December 9, 2018 8:50 PM

[quote] Your point being, [R136]? Grant could very well be nominated for an Oscar for Paddington 2. There are always surprise nominations for popular performances, dipshit.

Sure, dear. You keep thinking that.

by Anonymousreply 143December 9, 2018 8:59 PM

I went to the multiplex on Friday night to see BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY and checked the available seating for THE WIFE just for laughs and zero tickets had been sold at 5 mins before start time. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 144December 9, 2018 9:49 PM

Glenn is quote in an article today saying "I've been nominated six times and never won. I don't expect to win this time, either. I think it will be Olivia Colman for The Favourite." I'm glad she's already adjusted to the fact that the nomination will have to suffice.

by Anonymousreply 145December 9, 2018 11:46 PM

If she gets nominated.

by Anonymousreply 146December 10, 2018 8:41 AM

R145 I think Glenn would much prefer to lose to Olivia Colman than Lady GaGa. Honestly, what other actress wouldn't?

by Anonymousreply 147December 10, 2018 11:08 AM

Glenn should have won for Fatal Attraction.

by Anonymousreply 148December 10, 2018 11:34 AM

Must be a lot of Oscar newbies here who think 1) Glenn won't be nominated, and 2) that she's not a frontrunner. I can't wait until the Oscar season officially begins in January, when they'll realize that critics awards are meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

by Anonymousreply 149December 10, 2018 11:41 AM

Yep, Grant was the runner-up for the LA Film Critics Award for Paddington 2. His performance is hilarious in it. He has a shot. There’s almost always a surprise in the supporting categories at the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 150December 10, 2018 1:07 PM

R145, that's my girl Glenn, prepare for defeat with grace.

by Anonymousreply 151December 10, 2018 1:47 PM

[quote]I think Glenn would much prefer to lose to Olivia Colman than Lady GaGa. Honestly, what other actress wouldn't?

Yeah that was a nice bit of shade to name Colman like that.

by Anonymousreply 152December 10, 2018 1:57 PM

There are usually surprises in the Supporting categories, but they're almost never for performances like Hugh Grant in "Paddington 2" (and I agree that Grant is wonderful in the movie). They're more likely to be from movies that are up for other major categories (think coattail nominations like Maggie Gyllenhaal), or movies that premiere too late in the season to get much traction, like Lesley Manville last year. Oscar voters just aren't going to put on a screener of a sequel to a kid's movie just because they heard Hugh Grant is funny in it.

Even a BAFTA nod can't help Grant, since his nomination for the movie happened a year ago.

by Anonymousreply 153December 10, 2018 4:21 PM

I'm so happy for Glenn that she is focusing her energies on the most important things she can, namely who would she most prefer to lose to on February 22. Smart gal.

by Anonymousreply 154December 10, 2018 6:26 PM

If Glenn manages to get Sunset Boulevard made in the next couple of years, no on will beat her.

by Anonymousreply 155December 10, 2018 6:50 PM

The Wife is an absolute shitfest. It's so completely boring, no matter how good Close's performance may be. The 'twist' was so obvious I'm amazed this terrible film ever got made.

by Anonymousreply 156December 10, 2018 6:53 PM

Meryl Streep really praised A Star is Born. She liked it and both Cooper and Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 157December 10, 2018 9:50 PM

No hidden agenda here - Meryl streep is a great actress. However - as is often the case, she is not always the best judge of artistic merit, hence many of her misfired choices of projects in recent years. She has a soft spot for tacky, even cheesy entertainment - Mama Mia lifted her spirit after 9/11, or at least that was her excuse for doing the film. And now she praises ASiB. Ok.

by Anonymousreply 158December 11, 2018 5:37 AM

Meryl is a force in industry, her support means kinda a lot. Besides I'm pretty sure she understands more about acting than R158. As for Mamma Mia and 9/11, Meryl said she was a fan of the stage show after seeing it on Broadway in September 2001, when she found the show to be an affirmation of life in the midst of the destruction of 9/11, pretty good reason to like a show in the hard time like this.

by Anonymousreply 159December 11, 2018 7:01 AM

R151 Cunt

by Anonymousreply 160December 11, 2018 7:14 AM

That's 3 time Oscar Winner Cunt to you, R160!

by Anonymousreply 161December 11, 2018 7:21 AM

And an 18 time loser!

by Anonymousreply 162December 11, 2018 11:00 AM

R162, Glenn, sweetie, you've lost 6 times and have won 0 Oscars, so don't even go there.

by Anonymousreply 163December 11, 2018 11:07 AM

Meryl really did that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164December 11, 2018 1:19 PM

R164 what's going on there? Who's copying who?

by Anonymousreply 165December 11, 2018 2:38 PM

R165, Meryl copies Gaga's character's gesture from ASIB.

by Anonymousreply 166December 11, 2018 2:51 PM

R165, Meryl copies Gaga's gesture from ASIB.

by Anonymousreply 167December 11, 2018 2:52 PM

[quote]If Glenn manages to get Sunset Boulevard made in the next couple of years, no on will beat her.

Oh yeah? Well, I'll beat her. I'll beat the fucking shit out of her!

by Anonymousreply 168December 11, 2018 4:07 PM

Shut up Patti. I'm seeing you tomorrow in The West End so you better be great!

by Anonymousreply 169December 11, 2018 4:33 PM

Where's the link to Meryl's ASIB comments please?

by Anonymousreply 170December 11, 2018 4:34 PM

That cunt Streep is doing everything to undermine my Oscar chances. This has given me real empathy for Susan Richardson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171December 11, 2018 9:33 PM

Meryl looks like she has frontal hair loss.

by Anonymousreply 172December 11, 2018 9:34 PM

This is starting to have shades of when Meryl helped sink Emma Thompson’s chances of a nomination for Saving Mr. Banks vis a vis Glenn’s chances this year for an actual win. Meryl might have a little bit more awareness of how influential her voice is in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 173December 11, 2018 11:18 PM

Dearest Glenn/R171, not even I can take away something that doesn’t exist in the first place. But, thanks for thinking I am that powerful. So kind of you.

by Anonymousreply 174December 11, 2018 11:54 PM

R171 Your unfounded comments on Walt Disney, who by the way provided far more entertainment to audiences all over the world than any of your crap films, helped to deny Emma Thompson a deserved nomination. What were you nominated for that year by the way? You only have to fart and those sheep from the Academy hand you a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 175December 12, 2018 6:13 AM

R175 it was August Osage County and its preposterous to think that negative comments about Disney denied Thompson a nomination. The person who likely took 5th spot was Amy Adams for American Hussle.

BTW M was nominated the following year for a Disney movie - Into The Woods!

by Anonymousreply 176December 12, 2018 6:50 AM

R176 Proves what a hypocrite M. is!

by Anonymousreply 177December 12, 2018 6:52 AM

Streep was awful and hammy in AOC, and more than one critic refused to give her her usual raves. She was definitely the one who would have been dropped. Her shameless and inappropriate trashing of Disney as she was presenting Emma Thompson’s award was clearly calculated to insure Streep herself would be nominated instead of Thompson.

by Anonymousreply 178December 12, 2018 7:06 AM

Well I for one am thankful of Meryl's campaigning. She helped me squeeze out a nomination over Amy Adams when she mentioned my name at the Golden Globes. The dear!

by Anonymousreply 179December 12, 2018 7:16 AM

SAG nominations in the morning, everyone! Be kind to one another!

by Anonymousreply 180December 12, 2018 7:16 AM

R180 L. Gaga - I have no problem with you. M's been putting me down for years and I'm at my wits end. She is very powerful and I'm just a working actress.

by Anonymousreply 181December 12, 2018 8:02 AM

So we have Glenn Close saying she doesn't think she'll win while approving Olivia, while Meryl Streep approves Gaga. It's like DL thread came to life in reality.

by Anonymousreply 182December 12, 2018 8:10 AM

Just happy to be in the mix, loves!

by Anonymousreply 183December 12, 2018 8:12 AM

R182 Just proves who has good taste and can recognise great acting: G.

Lady Gaga is certainly the best thing about the wretched ASIB but she cannot or expected to match or better a seasoned actress like Colman. Meryl is pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 184December 12, 2018 8:22 AM

So either Glenn loses to first time Oscar nominee Olivia or to first time Oscar nominee Gaga. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 185December 12, 2018 8:25 AM

Poor G. If only she had a less competitive year... or perhaps played a character with a disability.

by Anonymousreply 186December 12, 2018 8:29 AM

R184, Meryl is pathetic? Sure, I mean, she is only the most respected, acclaimed and succesful actress of modern times, but if you say so.....Why so pressed, honey?

by Anonymousreply 187December 12, 2018 8:38 AM

Streep chips away at her legacy with every new role she delivers in the same ham-handed manner. Wait till you hear her Russian accented Topsy in Mary Poppins. It's her most shameless performance yet!

by Anonymousreply 188December 12, 2018 11:03 AM

R188, sweetie, Topsy is Mary Poppins's cousin, she is not Russian.

by Anonymousreply 189December 12, 2018 11:20 AM

I'm grand!

by Anonymousreply 190December 12, 2018 11:22 AM

Yes, you are, M.!

by Anonymousreply 191December 12, 2018 12:17 PM

One of the nurses here in the ER just told me about this article. When I can sit up again I’ll give it a look. Just taking it one day at a time for now. Pray for me.

by Anonymousreply 192December 12, 2018 12:59 PM

[quote] sweetie, Topsy is Mary Poppins's cousin, she is not Russian.

Sweetie, you literally don't know what you're talking about. It's obvious that you have not seen a screening of the movie or even listened to the CD.

Try watching this video. In the first couple of minutes, Streep, in her Russian accent, tells you the character's name (Tatiana is her first name, and "Topsy" comes from Topotrepolofsky, her last name). She's Mary's cousin "many times removed."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193December 12, 2018 1:16 PM

What time are the SAG nominations?

by Anonymousreply 194December 12, 2018 1:19 PM

10 am Eastern, 7am pacific.

by Anonymousreply 195December 12, 2018 1:20 PM

Stunt nominations are announced at 6:50 PT and the actors are announced at 7:00 PT.

by Anonymousreply 196December 12, 2018 1:21 PM

R193, Topotrepolofsky sounds more like Polish last name tbh.

by Anonymousreply 197December 12, 2018 1:29 PM

You can watch the SAG announcements live down below:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198December 12, 2018 1:47 PM

I think the thing with Glenn Close is that she's promoting her reputation. The Wife, on it's own, is not some great film that people talk about it. It's a boring and obvious film that no one will ever watch again. But she's saying, "See, I'm eligible! Here's another chance for you to give me an Oscar!" Which puts her entire career on the line rather than just a performance. But the makeup of the Academy has changed a lot since her heyday and I doubt, collectively, the Academy cares that much. I mean, what do you think those "brutally honest Oscar voter" assessments are going to say about Glenn Close in The Wife? Probably nothing good.

by Anonymousreply 199December 12, 2018 1:58 PM

Some of those brutal Oscar voters seem like old fogies, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're like, "Yeah, yeah, everyone's going on and on about Lady Gaga, but she's a singer and this is her first performance. I don't think she deserves an Oscar already. Olivia Colman's charming, but I'm done with Brits. I haven't seen The Wife, but I'm voting for Glenn because she's been nominated so many times. She deserves it." I don't think she'll win, but she'll get votes.

by Anonymousreply 200December 12, 2018 2:02 PM

^^And I'll say, it would've been more dignified to release it last year for eligibility once it bowed at TIFF. To withhold as if the following year would be more favourable is just too presumptuous and contrived. She should've just gone for a possible nomination last year and promoted the film as something other than her ticket to an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 201December 12, 2018 2:02 PM

Male Supporting Actor

Mahershala Ali

Timothee Chalamet

Adam Driver

Sam Elliott

Richard E. Grant

by Anonymousreply 202December 12, 2018 2:07 PM

[bold]Female Supporting Actor[/bold]

Amy Adams

Emily Blunt

Margot Robbie

Emma Stone

Rachel Weisz

by Anonymousreply 203December 12, 2018 2:08 PM

[bold]Male Lead Actor[/bold]

Christian Bale

Bradley Cooper

Rami Malek

Viggo Mortensen

John David Washington

by Anonymousreply 204December 12, 2018 2:08 PM

[bold]Female Actor[/bold]

Emily Blunt

Glenn Close

Olivia Colman

Lady Gaga

Melissa McCarthy

by Anonymousreply 205December 12, 2018 2:09 PM

I do not understand the Chalamet love for BEAUTIFUL BOY. Lucas Hedges was better in BOY ERASED and BEN IS BACK.

by Anonymousreply 206December 12, 2018 2:10 PM

Laverne Cox sounds a bit too much like James Earl Jones this morning.

by Anonymousreply 207December 12, 2018 2:10 PM

No Toni Collette at the SAGS.

by Anonymousreply 208December 12, 2018 2:11 PM

Here's Ensemble Cast

A Star is Born

Black Panther

BlacKkKlansman

Bohemian Rhapsody

Crazy Rich Asians

by Anonymousreply 209December 12, 2018 2:11 PM

Yeah, Hedges is being completely left behind this awards season. Kidman snubbed for Boy Erased. Looks like Ben is Way, Way Back in the pack for awards consideration.

by Anonymousreply 210December 12, 2018 2:12 PM

It was inappropriate how Laverne and Akwafina were goofing around.

by Anonymousreply 211December 12, 2018 2:12 PM

[quote]No Toni Collette at the SAGS.

Nor the Golden Globes. Toni Collette Troll, I think it's time to give up on your pipe dream of her getting an Oscar nomination for HEREDITARY.

by Anonymousreply 212December 12, 2018 2:13 PM

Not sure how Bohemian Rhapsody could get a Best Ensemble nod from SAG, considering most of them were just lookalikes with nothing to do. I guess Malek is a cert for an Oscar nomination now, if the actors branch has anything to do with. (From the same body that nominated John Krasinski for, erm, Jack Ryan.)

by Anonymousreply 213December 12, 2018 2:13 PM

Will Emily Blunt go all the way? I know SAG especially enjoys her work. If I'm not mistaken she was nominated for Girl on the Train, though she didn't get an Oscar nom. The two nominations for her, and one for her husband in the television category are sweet.

by Anonymousreply 214December 12, 2018 2:13 PM

I can’t believe Bohmian Rhapsody and Crazy Rich Asians will be Oscar nominees for Best Pic,

by Anonymousreply 215December 12, 2018 2:13 PM

I'm not sure how you can categorise Emily Blunt as supporting in A Quiet Place. SAG is the last organisation you'd expect to allow that kind of category fraud.

by Anonymousreply 216December 12, 2018 2:15 PM

Hedges deserves it more thsn Chalamet, buu his two roles are both leads while Chalamet is supporting.

by Anonymousreply 217December 12, 2018 2:16 PM

No Regina King for Supporting Actress! Pretty big snub considering her frontrunner status so far.

by Anonymousreply 218December 12, 2018 2:17 PM

Who gives a fuck about “category fraud”? It’s a fucking acting award, not a national election to office.

by Anonymousreply 219December 12, 2018 2:17 PM

R217 well, then Chalamet deserves the *Supporting* nod more, no? Perhaps Hedges tried going for Lead but just didn't make the cut.

by Anonymousreply 220December 12, 2018 2:18 PM

Ooh I didn’t even notice that, r218. That’s huge! In fact, Beale Street got roundly ignored.

by Anonymousreply 221December 12, 2018 2:18 PM

[quote]I can’t believe Bohmian Rhapsody and Crazy Rich Asians will be Oscar nominees for Best Pic,

Not to mention BLACK PANTHER. Incidentally, it's kind of funny how each of those movies has 'black' or 'Asian' in their titles to truly drive the point home: "Hey, look, we're being diverse!"

by Anonymousreply 222December 12, 2018 2:19 PM

Hedges and Chalamet weren’t competing. And no, Chalamet doesn’t deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 223December 12, 2018 2:20 PM

R219 = Dee Plorable

by Anonymousreply 224December 12, 2018 2:20 PM

R222 here. I was referring to BLACK PANTHER, BLACKKKLANSMAN, and CRAZY RICH ASIANS.

by Anonymousreply 225December 12, 2018 2:24 PM

R216 in 2009, SAG nominated Kate Winlset in Lead for REVOLUTIONARY ROAD and in Supporting for THE READER.

by Anonymousreply 226December 12, 2018 2:26 PM

The only performers to win Oscars for Best Supporting Actress without being nominated for SAG were Marcia Gay Harden for Pollock and Jennifer Connelly for A Beautiful Mind. We'll see if Regina King joins their ranks.

by Anonymousreply 227December 12, 2018 2:28 PM

And Margot Robbie gets a SAG nomination for Mary, Queen of Scots. I WAS RIGHT. Suck it, haters. I predicted she would get this after I went to a screening last month and many of you mocked me. Well, bow down, bitches.

And she WILL get an Oscar nomination, too.

by Anonymousreply 228December 12, 2018 2:31 PM

Toni Collette is still capable of getting an Oscar nomination. She could take McCarthy’s slot.

by Anonymousreply 229December 12, 2018 2:34 PM

R227 Connelly got her SAG nod for A BEAUTIFUL MIND in the Lead category.

by Anonymousreply 230December 12, 2018 2:34 PM

You’re looking kind of pathetic at this point, r229. Collette ain’t happening.

by Anonymousreply 231December 12, 2018 2:36 PM

R229 McCarthy has GG and now SAG nods. I think she has the edge of Collette who didn't get either. You need to give it up. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 232December 12, 2018 2:36 PM

ASIB got so many nominations

by Anonymousreply 233December 12, 2018 2:37 PM

Plus McCarthy’s reviews were consistently excellent across the boards, more so than Collette’s.

by Anonymousreply 234December 12, 2018 2:38 PM

I want to hear from r189, who embarrassed himself and was shown up for it.

by Anonymousreply 235December 12, 2018 2:40 PM

R229's offering up McCarthy's spot because she can't fathom a fat comedienne getting two nominations before Toni.

R230 Thanks for the correction. She was nominated for Lead Actress. This makes Regina King's snub even more glaring.

by Anonymousreply 236December 12, 2018 2:42 PM

Well, they sure liked Emily Blunt! Two kind of unexpected nominations for her (Mary Poppins Returns, A Quiet Place). Remember that she placed here in Best Actress for The Girl on the Train.

I’m shocked by the Regina King snub. And continually confused by the awards attention for Adam Driver.

The Ensemble nomination for Bohemian Rhapsody is out of left field.

I have never bought into Claire Foy as a supporting nominee.

by Anonymousreply 237December 12, 2018 2:44 PM

It's definitely possible for First Man to be completely shut out in the above the line categories. Foy's their only hope, but even that's looking slim.

by Anonymousreply 238December 12, 2018 2:47 PM

Why are people shocked a out bohemian getting nominations? It's grossed over 600 million at the box office and it's gunning to close with over 700+ million. The academy would rather nominate a oscar bait monster hit movie that was received so so by critics than the 1000th avenger movie.

by Anonymousreply 239December 12, 2018 3:00 PM

R239 many on DL wanted the film to fail because it didn't feature graphic sex/nudity.

by Anonymousreply 240December 12, 2018 3:04 PM

I’m glad Bohemian Rhapsody is doing so unexpectedly well. Rami Malek was fantastic and totally deserves an Oscar nomination this year.

Ethan Hawke seems like he might be in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 241December 12, 2018 3:08 PM

It makes sense that Regina King replaces Emily Blunt for "A Quiet Place" at the Oscars, but after King's snub, it'll be smooth sailing for Amy Adams.

I think Driver has been better in other movies, but I think this is just the tipping point for a guy who's been vaguely in the Oscar conversation before but hasn't made it in yet. And this kind of lackluster category makes it the perfect time for them to welcome him to the club.

by Anonymousreply 242December 12, 2018 3:12 PM

Ethan Hawke probably feels sorry he went after Eddie Redmayne.

by Anonymousreply 243December 12, 2018 3:47 PM

A lot of actors (such as myself) have hated Ethan Hawke for years, going back to when he was an obnoxious, mediocre teen actor. I’m not surprised he was snubbed.

by Anonymousreply 244December 12, 2018 3:49 PM

Hasn't Paul Schrader also said some controversial things in the press? I wouldn't be surprised if there's some inside backlash going on with First Reformed.

by Anonymousreply 245December 12, 2018 4:02 PM

R245, he said he wanted to work with Kevin Spacey.

by Anonymousreply 246December 12, 2018 4:10 PM

What did Ethan Hawke say about Eddie Redmayne?

by Anonymousreply 247December 12, 2018 4:19 PM

He called him a confirmed cocksucker.

Wait, who are we talking about?

by Anonymousreply 248December 12, 2018 4:24 PM

[quote] McCarthy has GG and now SAG nods. I think she has the edge of Collette who didn't get either.

I expect the new SAG to favor a McCarthy over a Collette. SAG is a different and less discriminating group now. The GGs would always favor the well known and popular McCarthy over Collette. You're going to see less and less connection between SAG and the Oscars in the future.

by Anonymousreply 249December 12, 2018 4:32 PM

Is Amy Adams winning SAG?

by Anonymousreply 250December 12, 2018 4:34 PM

Has anyone seen Vice? Does Amy Adams deserve an Oscar for playing Lynne Cheney of all people?

by Anonymousreply 251December 12, 2018 4:35 PM

R247 there is a thread here about how Hawke went off about how prissy or nerdy Brits are taken more seriously than someone like Vincent D’Ofrio. Especially at Oscar time.

He wasn’t all that vicious and I remember a lot of people here said they agreed with him.

I did. He didn’t name Redmayne. Everyone is just filling in the blanks.

by Anonymousreply 252December 12, 2018 4:36 PM

I think Claire Foy is not going to get in.

SAG has never been huge in Kidman so I’m still looking for her to pop up, probably in supporting for Boy Erased.

The Regina King snub surprised me. I think Vice will do well getting nominations in acting but Mary Poppins will be the big surprise the morning nominations are announced. Getting a Grand Budapest vibe. It won’t win much but it will rack up a lot of noms.

by Anonymousreply 253December 12, 2018 4:41 PM

If Amy Adams wins Oscar they won't award Glenn, cause they won't award two overdue actresses. On another hand, they need to award some black actor, or else 4 acting Oscar winners will be white second year in a row and it'll make OscarsSoWhite again.

by Anonymousreply 254December 12, 2018 4:42 PM

Mahershala Ali will probably win for "Green Book," so that base is covered. I think the only thing stopping him is that he won so recently, but at the same time, I can't see Grant, Driver, Chalamet or Elliott winning, either.

by Anonymousreply 255December 12, 2018 4:55 PM

Yes R228, but was she nominated for the film or the trailer?

by Anonymousreply 256December 12, 2018 5:02 PM

I don't think Regina King has anything to worry about because Blunt and Robbie will not be there when the Oscar nominations are announced.

by Anonymousreply 257December 12, 2018 5:08 PM

I'm fine with Driver getting a nomination as long as John David Washington gets one too. Though tbh, I can't really remember what Driver did in the film.

by Anonymousreply 258December 12, 2018 5:09 PM

[quote]On another hand, they need to award some black actor, or else 4 acting Oscar winners will be white second year in a row and it'll make OscarsSoWhite again.

Ugh! I hat how affirmative action has affected the Oscars. There shouldn't have to be a black winner every year "just to be fair."

by Anonymousreply 259December 12, 2018 5:14 PM

I could definitely see Sam Elliott winning. Especially if ASIB really plays well.

by Anonymousreply 260December 12, 2018 5:15 PM

R257, Blunt almost certainly won’t be there but Robbie quite likely will.

by Anonymousreply 261December 12, 2018 5:17 PM

I'm tearing up just reading the reviews for Mary Poppins Returns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262December 12, 2018 5:25 PM

I think Robbie will be one queen too many this awards season.

by Anonymousreply 263December 12, 2018 5:26 PM

(^^And that includes The Collette Loon!)

by Anonymousreply 264December 12, 2018 5:27 PM

Fuck you, R264.

by Anonymousreply 265December 12, 2018 5:28 PM

R255. I agree with you but I think Elliot is more of a threat than you think. This is *the* catergory for veterans to be rewarded in.

Elliot has never been nominated and I think he has a decent shot, but I’d say Ali has the edge despite winning two years ago.

by Anonymousreply 266December 12, 2018 5:30 PM

Robbie is not going to make it.

Collette could if there weren’t already a 6th place wildcats in lead. It’s Kidman for Destroyer.

I think she’s in for Boy Erased since they seemed to love her in Lion with only about 15 mins of screen time.

by Anonymousreply 267December 12, 2018 5:32 PM

Wildcard*^ ha

by Anonymousreply 268December 12, 2018 5:33 PM

First Reformed gets my vote for the worst film I've seen all year

by Anonymousreply 269December 12, 2018 5:44 PM

Do SAG nominees have to be SAG members?

by Anonymousreply 270December 12, 2018 5:54 PM

As THR notes: "The committee tends to reward talent who are available to do post-screening Q&As and gladhanding (lovely Robbie certainly wasn't hurt by pressing the flesh), as opposed to others who are unavailable or unwilling to do so (it may have kept her co-star Saoirse Ronan, who has been in production on another film, from joining her on the list of nominees)."

She'll have to be busy to get the entire Academy on side.

by Anonymousreply 271December 12, 2018 5:58 PM

R267, no fucking way re: Kidman. Her Destroyer performance hasn’t received a single nomination or award thus far. She’s much more likely to get a nom for Boy, Erased.

by Anonymousreply 272December 12, 2018 6:23 PM

R271, I was at a SAG nominating committee screening and Ronan was at a Q&A. True. She probably didn’t get to as many functions as she could because of the Little Women shoot schedule in Boston. I think she was shut out simply due to the strong competition.

by Anonymousreply 273December 12, 2018 6:26 PM

R272 last week, Kidman got a GG nod for DESTROYER (Actress in a Drama).

by Anonymousreply 274December 12, 2018 6:43 PM

Surprised Vice didn’t make ensemble. That Chalamet continues to hang in there is worth noting. I know Ali and Eliot are the favorites (and even with Grant getting noms, he doesn’t seem the front runner anymore) but a lot of voters could be itching to reward Chalamet after last year.

by Anonymousreply 275December 12, 2018 7:09 PM

I don't think anyone's going to have an itch for Chalamet as much as they will for honoring old-timer Sam Elliott. OR for giving Ali his second.

by Anonymousreply 276December 12, 2018 7:10 PM

I want Sam Elliott in the sequel of CMBYN as a mature fellow keeping Chalamet in a mutually beneficial relationship.

by Anonymousreply 277December 12, 2018 7:18 PM

R272. I didn’t say she would but as has been pointed out to you she did make the Globes and will probably be 6th this year in the nominations could be Emily Blunt as well. We will never know since they won’t make the cut. Neither will Collete. She’s behind both of these women.

You’re right in that Boy Erased is a much safer bet for her but I don’t see the need to be rude.

by Anonymousreply 278December 12, 2018 7:33 PM

R276 yes TV will be nominated but will lose to Ali or Elliot.

I liked CMBYN but I didn’t see what the big fuss about his performance was. It was good and he got a nomination. I don’t see them tripping over themselves to award him since they didn’t give him the win last year.

I think a lot of the guys here are older and he fits into that cute, twinky AND legal. Tom Holland is way hotter.

I like real men though. Give me a guy like Chris Pratt any day.

by Anonymousreply 279December 12, 2018 7:37 PM

TC*^

by Anonymousreply 280December 12, 2018 7:37 PM

I can’t believe Vice OR The Favorite didn’t make Ensemble but Bohemian Rapsody did?!

by Anonymousreply 281December 12, 2018 7:38 PM

My apologies, R278.

by Anonymousreply 282December 12, 2018 7:50 PM

[quote]Give me a guy like Chris Pratt any day.

He’s a Jesus freak and a conservative. You’re welcome to him.

by Anonymousreply 283December 12, 2018 8:06 PM

He does such a fabulous imitation of the Essex girls off TOWIE, though.

by Anonymousreply 284December 12, 2018 8:12 PM

Chris Pratt? Ha! Please. She’s over.

by Anonymousreply 285December 12, 2018 8:20 PM

"but a lot of voters could be itching to reward Chalamet after last year."

Those voters, who actually didn't give award to him last year, but will somehow give it to him this year though both Ali and Elliott will be propped up by their movies getting BP nominations (Grant also possibly), while Chalamet will be single nomination for his movie at best? Yeah, sure, quit with the delusions.

by Anonymousreply 286December 12, 2018 8:21 PM

[quote]I didn’t see what the big fuss about his performance was

[quote]Tom Holland is way hotter

[quote]Give me a guy like Chris Pratt any day

How can someone's taste be so poor?

by Anonymousreply 287December 12, 2018 8:23 PM

It’s not poor taste it’s just a matter of opinion and *diffrent* taste. Chalamet is a probably more your lane because Holland and Pratt have more (cough) working class backgrounds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288December 12, 2018 9:42 PM

Different*

Chalamet is the best thing about Beautiful Boy though. I’m really tired of seeing Steve Carrell in these role that require so much weight. I don’t think he’s doing a great job pulling them off.

The Oscars went for Hedges with Manchester but I think Best Actor is locked up and he isn’t in the line-up. Hopefully Kidman still makes it. I don’t see it getting a Best Picture nod. Crazy Rich Asians, Black Panther, Mary Poppins...

It will be interesting to see the smaller movies that get in.

by Anonymousreply 289December 12, 2018 9:46 PM

Has anyone seen “Ben is Back”? I know Julua’s the star, but could Lucas Hedges be called Supporting Actor for it? That might be his way to a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 290December 12, 2018 10:07 PM

Mary Poppins Returns getting race reviews.

R216 Are you serious? SAG have lots of category fraud. A sickening example was when Susan Sarandon was nominated in lead for The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe. Not only was her performs be weak but she was barely supporting in it!

by Anonymousreply 291December 12, 2018 10:58 PM

[quote]I know Julua’s the star, but could Lucas Hedges be called Supporting Actor for it? That might be his way to a nomination.

Why on earth would he get a nomination if he missed the Globes, the Critics’ Choice, and now SAG? Julia is the one who got great reviews for BiB, and even she’s being overlooked.

by Anonymousreply 292December 12, 2018 11:01 PM

Fuck Category Fraud

Emily Fucking Blunt is no fucking supporting in A Quiet Place

3 out of 5 in both supporting category are category frauds

Enough is enough

by Anonymousreply 293December 12, 2018 11:04 PM

and Fuck SAG

by Anonymousreply 294December 12, 2018 11:05 PM

Julia will get a nod maybe once a decade now and nothing more. She was last nominated in 2013 for AOC so just do the math.

by Anonymousreply 295December 12, 2018 11:05 PM

It’s funny. When I think of the word SAG, the first image that comes to mind is that of Glenn. I’m not sure if it’s because of her face or her career, though. Maybe both?

by Anonymousreply 296December 12, 2018 11:07 PM

Most of us think of Sue Sarandon when we hear the word SAG.

by Anonymousreply 297December 12, 2018 11:12 PM

[bold]Olivia Colman[/bold] (The Favourite)

[bold]Lady Gaga[/bold] (A Star Is Born)

[bold]Glenn Close[/bold] (The Wife)

[bold]Melissa McCarthy[/bold] (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)

*[bold]Toni Collette[/bold] (Hereditary)

* or Emily Blunt (Mary Poppins Returns)

by Anonymousreply 298December 12, 2018 11:41 PM

[quote]Fuck Category Fraud

You sound kind of mentally ill, dear, to be getting so worked up about the SAG nominations. This doesn't impact your own life AT ALL.

Now stop posting bullshit. Enough is enough.

by Anonymousreply 299December 12, 2018 11:41 PM

The Collette Loon is still trying to push Toni Collette, which is SO not going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 300December 12, 2018 11:43 PM

R298, I feel like that last slot will be either Blunt, Kidman or possibly the woman from Roma. Collette just has too much to overcome. It even might be a performance that no one is even considering right now. I mean, Regina Hall could even sneak in.

by Anonymousreply 301December 12, 2018 11:45 PM

R300 not happening is better than happening as category fraud

by Anonymousreply 302December 12, 2018 11:46 PM

What, no love at all for the actors in Widows ? I was sure that ensemble was a given.

by Anonymousreply 303December 13, 2018 1:52 AM

If Boy, Erased married Girl, Interrupted, you'd get...

by Anonymousreply 304December 13, 2018 2:11 AM

... not a very strong baby, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 305December 13, 2018 2:15 AM

Baby, Oscar Bait.

by Anonymousreply 306December 13, 2018 2:19 AM

R304 / R306

by Anonymousreply 307December 13, 2018 2:41 AM

[quote]Has anyone seen “Ben is Back”? I know Julua’s the star, but could Lucas Hedges be called Supporting Actor for it? That might be his way to a nomination.

Nah, they're both leads. I would say Julia got scant minutes more screen time than Hedges.

by Anonymousreply 308December 13, 2018 3:28 AM

Thereon has always been a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 309December 13, 2018 3:32 AM

Blunt is a dead cert, possibly the front runner now. The Mary Poppins Returns train has now left the station!

by Anonymousreply 310December 13, 2018 10:02 AM

R310 I think at this stage actress is wide open and could turn into a 4 way race (Blunt, Close, Colman & Gaga). McCarthy will get 5th spot but have no chance. Despite not getting a SAG nomination I think Regina King is a virtual lock for a supporting actress win. Actor is pretty much a lock for Cooper - Hawke really needed a SAG or Globe nomination, the lack of SAG nomination hurts Hawkes chances far more than Kings. Supporting Actor, like lead Actress at this stage is wide open.

by Anonymousreply 311December 13, 2018 11:08 AM

I saw some tards on Twitter and reddit upset because Tom hardy didn't get noms for his terrible performance in the equally terrible venom. Wtf is happening to the world?

by Anonymousreply 312December 13, 2018 11:12 AM

R312 I don't think that's something new. Moviegoers (i.e., people who watch films solely for entertainment) tend to root for their favorites. When I was a kid in the early '90s, I knew several boys who wanted Macaulay Culkin to be nominated (and even win) for HOME ALONE and/or HOME ALONE 2.

by Anonymousreply 313December 13, 2018 11:29 AM

Those awards and nominations are strange thing. For example the great Anthony Hopkins have been nominated for Golden Globes several times but only won once and it was Cecil B. DeMille Golden Globe Award. And he never ever won SAG award.

by Anonymousreply 314December 13, 2018 11:35 AM

Can Bale disappoint Cooper?

by Anonymousreply 315December 13, 2018 11:57 AM

R315, unlikely. Cooper does this year almost the same thing Oldman did last year. Plays real life person from politics with great physical transformation for the role.

by Anonymousreply 316December 13, 2018 12:04 PM

R315 I suppose he could but I'm way more included to say no for a number of reasons.

Cooper has been nominated 3 times already, this will be his fourth - all in lead and he is probably seen by the Academy as 'due'. Also, he is seen as the creative force behind ASIB so a win would be a recognition of that. (Disclosure: I loath Cooper and ASIB - Gaga was the only aspect of the film I didn't mind, but I don't think she is award worthy but do believe she may also win).

This would be Bale's 3rd nomination and second in lead. He already has an Oscar and I don't think the Academy is in any hurry to give him another. Also, Vice is not going to be anywhere near as loved as ASIB. As a matter of fact Vice is a hard commercial sell, particularly to international audiences. Really, who but a few Bales fans and people with a great interest in politics or political satire gives a flying fuck about Dick Chenney or seeing a film about him. These things will go against Bale.

by Anonymousreply 317December 13, 2018 12:04 PM

I think Hawke will still make the cut. SAG is very mainstream - they won’t even watch a film with subtitles. The Academy, believe it or not, has more taste.

by Anonymousreply 318December 13, 2018 12:17 PM

R318, no, he won't. He was snubbed by both GG and SAG. His movie is a flop which made less than $4 mln. at BO. 5th Oscar nominee slot if for the Son of Washington.

by Anonymousreply 319December 13, 2018 12:20 PM

[quote]Cooper has been nominated 3 times already, this will be his fourth - all in lead and he is probably seen by the Academy as 'due'.

Cooper was nominated for Supporting for AMERICAN HUSTLE. His lead nods were for SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK and AMERICAN SNIPER.

[quote]This would be Bale's 3rd nomination and second in lead.

VICE would be Bale's fourth nomination. He's been nominated for THE FIGHTER and THE BIG SHORT in Supporting, and AMERICAN HUSTLE in Lead.

by Anonymousreply 320December 13, 2018 12:32 PM

I didn't realize John David Washington was Denzel's son. Of course, the Academy will nominate him. They lick Denzel's ass and lately nominate him for anything. Also, BLACKKKLANSMAN is topical and the Academy will feel obligated to nominate a person of color.

by Anonymousreply 321December 13, 2018 12:35 PM

Yep, John David Washington is Denzel Washington's son and he also got nominated both for GG and SAG. He is totally getting that Oscar nom.

by Anonymousreply 322December 13, 2018 12:42 PM

Denzel wants number 3 more than Meryl wants number 4. DDL wants number 4, too, which is why he has "retired" again, to get people primed for his comeback.

by Anonymousreply 323December 13, 2018 12:54 PM

How much dick did John Krasinski suck for Emily Blunt to get that Supporting nomination?

by Anonymousreply 324December 13, 2018 1:01 PM

"DDL wants number 4, too, which is why he has "retired" again, to get people primed for his comeback."

I'm so tired of DDL's pretentious method BS tbh. I hope he never comes back.

by Anonymousreply 325December 13, 2018 1:07 PM

[quote]Despite not getting a SAG nomination I think Regina King is a virtual lock for a supporting actress win.

You can't be a virtual lock for an Oscar without getting nominated for the biggest precursor to the Oscar. It's only happened twice: Marcia Gay Harden in that crazy Supporting Actress category nearly twenty years ago, and Christophe Waltz for his second Oscar. In that case, there were multiple obstacles preventing "Django Unchained" from doing well at SAG. The producers submitted him as Lead at SAG, and there were problems getting screeners to voters.

I think she'll still be nominated, but there is no way that she could ever be considered a lock for an Oscar win after that snub.

by Anonymousreply 326December 13, 2018 2:09 PM

Oh, please. Emily Blunt took her spot, and Emily Blunt ain't supporting.

Regina will be nominated.

#SAGsSoWhite!

by Anonymousreply 327December 13, 2018 3:30 PM

R327 I hope that's a parody post 'cause otherwise playing the race card is starting to become pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 328December 13, 2018 4:02 PM

John David Washington was excellent in BlackKKlansmen but not sure if that was oscar worthy. I'd be surprised if he got nominated.

by Anonymousreply 329December 13, 2018 4:42 PM

The only person who turned in Oscar-caliber work in BlacKkKlansmen is Harry Belafonte.

by Anonymousreply 330December 13, 2018 4:53 PM

Whatever happened to that Julia Roberts troll who insisted she was getting nominated everywhere for "Ben Is Back" over "Melissa Mooocarthy"?

He's awfully silent lately.

by Anonymousreply 331December 13, 2018 8:04 PM

R331 = Thinks she’s Regina George

by Anonymousreply 332December 14, 2018 12:07 AM

R330 is right. One person, the fat woman who played the wife of the sexy Finnish actor, was incompetent. Why on earth did Lee pick her?

by Anonymousreply 333December 14, 2018 12:41 AM

Lee doesn’t know how to cast, much less direct actors. It’s probably his main weakness as a director.

by Anonymousreply 334December 14, 2018 1:24 AM

Green Book seems to be losing momentum Oscar/wise.

by Anonymousreply 335December 15, 2018 1:51 PM

For what, Best picture? Seems like an Actor and SA nod are all but guaranteed.

by Anonymousreply 336December 15, 2018 1:58 PM

Harvey Weinstein sexual battery lawsuit - Harvey claims he fucked J. Law!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337December 15, 2018 1:59 PM

I saw a screening of "On the Basis of Sex" - the RBG film last night. A real stinker. Armie was there with his new short hair - not a good look at all! And he kept rubbing his head so he's either not used to it yet or just wanted everyone to look at him.

by Anonymousreply 338December 15, 2018 2:53 PM

There’s a whole thread about that elsewhere on DL, R337. We’re talking about the Oscars here, not JLaw’s well-used pussy.

by Anonymousreply 339December 15, 2018 2:54 PM

[quote]I saw a screening of "On the Basis of Sex" - the RBG film last night. A real stinker.

Could you elaborate what was wrong with it? Script-wise? Acting? Direction?

by Anonymousreply 340December 15, 2018 3:13 PM

I've seen none of the movies mentioned because I shan't lower myself to sit in a room with a group of strangers.

However based on previous roles and trailers...I will predict that...

Kidman will be in supporting and lead. Suck on that TOM!! Dear Collete won't make the cut. That lovely British women will win lead female. That Cooper fellow will win male lead. That Busty ol' dame will win best song. That chap with the dark skin will best supporting male. And as for best movie.......I do fear ASIB will succeed. Judy does not approve!

by Anonymousreply 341December 15, 2018 3:16 PM

R340, script-wise it's simply a chronology leading up to RBG's first big case - jumping from title card (1956) to title card (1959), etc., I suppose with the intent of getting to see inside RBG's life. Screenplay was written by her nephew. But it's a long slog that jumps ahead in fits and starts, where the kids age, but Felicity & Armie never do. Great period costumes and home decor details. Felicity's Brooklyn accent makes an appearance maybe 20% of the time. Maybe the documentary has ruined this for those of us who saw it because we already know the details of RBG's life.

by Anonymousreply 342December 15, 2018 3:36 PM

ON THE BASIS OF SEX tried to put too much into a script which could have worked with a better writer instead of her nephew who is too close to the subject to provide an interesting take on her. It would have served to show more of the hardship she experienced at Harvard Law to tie into the gender equality case she worked on. Instead too much was about she and her daughter's conflicting feminist viewpoints. They could have left out the daughter completely.

by Anonymousreply 343December 15, 2018 4:05 PM

Poor Armie can't catch a break.

by Anonymousreply 344December 15, 2018 4:33 PM

At least he got decent reviews for his role in the film. Have they still not found a host for this? Times a tickin'.

by Anonymousreply 345December 15, 2018 4:41 PM

Harvey fucked JLaw! I am shocked! Shocked! Not really!

by Anonymousreply 346December 15, 2018 6:03 PM

I remember the DL in 2013 saying that J.Law had slept with Weinstein for that Oscar. We laughed it off at the time.

by Anonymousreply 347December 15, 2018 6:16 PM

I hope some evidence comes to light that shows she is lying in her denials.

by Anonymousreply 348December 15, 2018 6:21 PM

R347, I think we all believed it.

by Anonymousreply 349December 15, 2018 6:29 PM

Didn't Joan Rivers 'joke' that J Law fucked her way to the Oscar??

by Anonymousreply 350December 15, 2018 8:41 PM

Harvey needs to write The Book. Hey, you bitches asked for it.

by Anonymousreply 351December 15, 2018 9:46 PM

Bohemian rhapsody is the highest grossing biopic musical of all time cunts, 610 million it has beat mama Mia 609 million, Meryl who?

by Anonymousreply 352December 15, 2018 10:27 PM

I didn't know Mamma Mia was a biopic.

by Anonymousreply 353December 15, 2018 10:35 PM

Mamma Mia! is the worst kind of biopic, about fictional characters with no basis in reality!

by Anonymousreply 354December 15, 2018 10:48 PM

Meryl is such a saggy flop.

by Anonymousreply 355December 15, 2018 10:56 PM

Bless you, r355!

by Anonymousreply 356December 15, 2018 11:47 PM

R356 Floooooooooop

by Anonymousreply 357December 16, 2018 12:59 AM

Does anyone actually wants to watch this shit??? All these award shows are absolute shit. Hollywood is just trash....

by Anonymousreply 358December 16, 2018 1:37 AM

Upset Kidman nomination hopefully will knock out Blunt. Mary Poppins Returns dismal box office and mixed reviews are sure to kill it’s late Oscar momentum.

by Anonymousreply 359December 16, 2018 1:49 AM

Lol everyone was saying marry Poppins her pussai would be a massive monster box office hit and a critical darling, knew from the trailers it wouldn't come close to the original classic, Emily blunt does not have anywhere near the charisma and talent julie does.

by Anonymousreply 360December 16, 2018 1:53 AM

Mary Poppins Returns hasn't opened yet. Not until Wednesday (Dec. 19).

by Anonymousreply 361December 16, 2018 2:13 AM

I would urge all Academy members not to vote for 'Harvey's Girls' like JLaw, M & Nicole. They helped make life miserable for actresses.

by Anonymousreply 362December 16, 2018 3:23 AM

You’re an idiot r359. All the projections for MPR are still that it will be huge. The Grinch is huge with very negative reviews, but Mary Poppins is in fact at 78% on Rotten Tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 363December 16, 2018 3:23 AM

Mary Robbins will be a huge hit. The film looks utterly delightful.

by Anonymousreply 364December 16, 2018 3:25 AM

R363 is clueless. Aquaman is going to kill the box office next week and Bumblebee is beating MPR mightily on RT.

by Anonymousreply 365December 16, 2018 3:28 AM

Aquaman will be #1 the weekend of the 21st, but MPR will probably be #1 on Christmas Day and the following weekend.

by Anonymousreply 366December 16, 2018 3:38 AM

No one cares about flop Emily "I'm a gay icon" blunt, deal with it loser Emily blunt fancunts.

by Anonymousreply 367December 16, 2018 3:39 AM

A Quiet Place as a huge hit for Blunt in the spring.

by Anonymousreply 368December 16, 2018 3:41 AM

Matt the Loon is really fouling up this thread. We should have known the arrival of a new Mary Poppins would send him over the edge.

Begone, Loon. You have no power here anymore.

by Anonymousreply 369December 16, 2018 5:45 AM

Emily is going to get that Oscar nomination. She’s already got hubby John’s huge cock.

by Anonymousreply 370December 16, 2018 5:50 AM

The best actress is lined up: Blunt, Close, Colman, Gaga, McCarthy.

by Anonymousreply 371December 16, 2018 6:00 AM

^^That sounds about right, but that Yahtzee chick from Roma could steal one of the slots. I think Close is the most vulnerable.

by Anonymousreply 372December 16, 2018 6:17 AM

I would say McCarthy and Blunt are more vulnerable than G.

by Anonymousreply 373December 16, 2018 6:19 AM

Blunt cunt will always be the bridesmaid a d never the bride, she'll never win an oscar. Deservedly so.

by Anonymousreply 374December 16, 2018 7:54 AM

She may never win, but that doesn't mean she won't be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 375December 16, 2018 8:08 AM

It's hilarious to see Matt the Loon on this thread. He hates Mary Poppins so much that now he's decided Emily Blunt has no talent just because she plays her (in a movie he's never seen). He did the same thing with Andrews. Trashed her thoroughly because he was forced to watch Poppins as a child with adults who diddled him while they watched. I'll bet he wishes someone wanted to diddle him now.

by Anonymousreply 376December 16, 2018 8:25 AM

[quote]That sounds about right, but that Yahtzee chick from Roma could steal one of the slots

Not likely at this point. There's a lot of anger about Roma in Hollywood right now, or rather about Netflix and the way they're just giving it a quick release in theaters in LA & NY, and then releasing it online. It will get picture and director nominations, and maybe screenplay, but that's probably it.

If Blunt or Close (or McCarthy) give way to someone, it will be to Kidman or Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 377December 16, 2018 8:29 AM

R377 Hopefully Roberts. Kidman is a Harvey enabler.

by Anonymousreply 378December 16, 2018 8:32 AM

The main issue facing Roma in awards contention is how fucking completely boring it is.

by Anonymousreply 379December 16, 2018 8:38 AM

Roma is brilliant and I saw it at an Atlanta theater, not in New York or Los Angeles. I hope it gets lots of nominations. The filmmaking should be rewarded without distribution matters being involved.

by Anonymousreply 380December 16, 2018 12:13 PM

Is NETFLIX thirsty for awards from the academy? If so, they couldn't have thrown Roma into theaters for a a month or two (instead of like a week) like Amazon did for BB to stop the academy from whining?

by Anonymousreply 381December 16, 2018 12:20 PM

What's BB?

by Anonymousreply 382December 16, 2018 12:22 PM

Bare back, r382.

by Anonymousreply 383December 16, 2018 12:25 PM

R376 is Blunt’s agent! She’s boring, dude. No charisma whatsoever. Can’t wait for her to turn 40 and disappear.

by Anonymousreply 384December 16, 2018 1:15 PM

[quote]Is NETFLIX thirsty for awards from the academy? If so, they couldn't have thrown Roma into theaters for a a month or two (instead of like a week) like Amazon did for BB to stop the academy from whining?

ROMA has been playing at a theater inn L.A for at least a month now. It began its run after ROMA was screened at AFI in November. But that lengthy run is due to Cuarón wanting significant run in the theaters as he feels that's where it should be seen. It has more than put in the required amount of time in theaters required to qualify for an Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 385December 16, 2018 3:02 PM

The only Oscar that's pretty much a sure thing right now is Bradley Cooper for Best Actor. No one will beat him. Other award categories may have front runners, but they're all up for grabs at this point.

by Anonymousreply 386December 16, 2018 7:11 PM

R376 Wrong bitch, julie is a fucking queen and I love marry Poppins, it's pathetic boring Emily cunt whom I can't stand. And bitch was screaming that she and her big eared ugly husband should be cast as the new fantastic four, lmao marvel won't cast an annoying attention whore old bitch that they'll need for 10 plus years to play the characters.

by Anonymousreply 387December 16, 2018 10:32 PM

R377 If Blunt or Close (or McCarthy) give way to someone, it will be to Kidman or Julia Roberts.

No , it will be to Collette or Joanna Kulig

by Anonymousreply 388December 16, 2018 10:39 PM

R387 do you not like Blunt because she's American now?

by Anonymousreply 389December 16, 2018 10:43 PM

Blunt and her hubby are both gay

by Anonymousreply 390December 16, 2018 10:44 PM

Joanna Kulig in Cold War > Lady Gaga in A Star Is Born the 4th remake

by Anonymousreply 391December 16, 2018 10:46 PM

R390 but of course! *eyeroll*

by Anonymousreply 392December 16, 2018 10:49 PM

A lot of the women who won Oscars for the last twenty years have Weinstein to thank. It had little to do with their performances. That's why posters bitching about how diversity is running the awards are amusing. The awards were already tarnished when they became The Harvey Weinstein Show. And no one's benefitted more from privilege than these ladies.

by Anonymousreply 393December 16, 2018 11:10 PM

Blunt was born in England. She will always be an English actress no matter if she has a second citizenship.

by Anonymousreply 394December 16, 2018 11:22 PM

R393 we are not complaining about diversity, but the expectation to fill quotas. One thing I've noticed about black people is that they expect everything to be handed to them. They don't care how/why they win an award, just as long as they have it. On the other hand, Asians and Latinos would rather work for it, which is probably why you never hear them bitch and moan about not getting nominated yearly. But blacks expect a place on the ballot, regardless. Lately, they've also demanded a win or two in the acting categories, annually, or else they play the race card. Like after last year's winners, for example.

For the record, I too complained about how Weinstein et al. were ruining the Oscars. If I had my way, it would always be about merit, regardless of race or campaigns. But the fact is that more white people (especially men) still get the best roles. As I've stated in another thread, the problem lies in Hollywood, not the Academy. There should be more good movies/roles made with people of color. Expecting the Academy to nominate POC just to be more diverse is counterproductive, because you are demanding them to nominate subpar performances in so-so films just to fill a quota. Meanwhile, movies about/with POC are not being made at the same rate as whites.

The same problem lies with actresses. Too often the Academy nominates/awards subpar performances and sometimes even scrape the bottom of the barrel in order to fill the 5 slots in Best Actress and Supporting Actress. But Hollywood remains a male-dominated and male-targeted business, which is why most movies are made with men and Best Actor and Supporting Actor are usually an embarrassment of riches.

by Anonymousreply 395December 16, 2018 11:34 PM

Once you start spouting blacks want everything handed to them on a platter, you lose the argument. It's a tiresome, racist line of attack.

Black Cinema has been experiencing a huge renaissance the last few years, with critically acclaimed films and huge box office hits (black Panther's huge success should tell you that). Their movies outperform most of these white counterparts (especially many of these Oscar nominated movies) . Fair representation is not wanting something for nothing.

And you're blaming blacks for complaining about a system that was already rigged in favor of a select group of white actresses who got the prize because they were personal favorites of a Hollywood bigwig. It's ridiculous.

[quote]But the fact is that more white people (especially men) still get the best roles

If that were really true, Cooper and Bale wouldn't be close to receiving their fourth nominations in under a decade.

by Anonymousreply 396December 16, 2018 11:57 PM

Collette is a stupid cunt in a bad film. Kidman has Harvey's cum all over for her.

Its Blunt, Close, Colman, Gaga & McCarthy unless Academy members see through Fox Searchlights fraud placement of Stone & Weisz and place them in the lead category were they belong. They are the two that may upset the almost set in stone five.

by Anonymousreply 397December 17, 2018 6:47 AM

F&F racist pig at r395!

by Anonymousreply 398December 17, 2018 7:04 AM

Does Yalitcia have a shot for Roma?

by Anonymousreply 399December 17, 2018 11:57 AM

But R170, the Roma theatrical run is not a proper cinematic distribution deal. Netflix is just renting the auditoriums. They're not releasing grosses to the trades. Roma will probably get a Best Director nod but I wouldn't expect the Academy to shower it with nominations. Distribution is king in the industry, they don't want to piss off the exhibitors.

by Anonymousreply 400December 17, 2018 12:36 PM

[quote]Once you start spouting blacks want everything handed to them on a platter, you lose the argument. It's a tiresome, racist line of attack.

But it's true. It's called reparations. And that has extended beyond the slavery argument. What else would you call demanding that black actors be nominated and or winning every year, regardless?

[quote]If that were really true, Cooper and Bale wouldn't be close to receiving their fourth nominations in under a decade.

I don't follow. I stated that white men still get the best roles. Your comment would support my statement.

R398 I forgot that no one's allowed to question or criticize back people, because then it's racist.

by Anonymousreply 401December 17, 2018 4:41 PM

Vice's reviews aren't so great. Currently sitting at 59% on Rotten Tomatoes. Critics are praising Bale's performance, but are calling the film unfocused and self-satisfying.

by Anonymousreply 402December 17, 2018 5:45 PM

I don’t see a nomination for Vice. Bumblebee will replace it.

by Anonymousreply 403December 17, 2018 9:15 PM

R402 Currently sitting at 59% on Rotten Tomatoes.

that prove that Golden Globe and SAG members voted for the film without even watching it

by Anonymousreply 404December 17, 2018 9:19 PM

Can You Ever Forgive Me Bohemian Rhapsody Crazy Rich Asians

Look for them to enter the race now following the muted box office and critical receptions for Vice, Mary Poppins Returns and First Man.

by Anonymousreply 405December 17, 2018 9:20 PM

Is Bohemian Rhapsody worth watching?

by Anonymousreply 406December 17, 2018 9:22 PM

Yes, "muted box office" of two films that haven't opened.

by Anonymousreply 407December 17, 2018 9:25 PM

Neither Vice nor Mary Poppins Returns are going to be blockbusters. Which might be fine for Vice, but Disney paid a shitload to make MPR.

by Anonymousreply 408December 17, 2018 9:31 PM

They should have cast an actual star for marry pill Poppins instead of charm free bore hairy faced bitch blunt. You get what you paid for shitty disney.

by Anonymousreply 409December 18, 2018 12:02 AM

The Emily Blunt troll is so deeply off their meds that I'm concerned. Get help, you loon.

by Anonymousreply 410December 18, 2018 3:00 AM

I think the Enily Blunt Troll is a Brit. Some of his turns of phrase are distinctly British. He also sounds like a drunk.

by Anonymousreply 411December 18, 2018 3:15 AM

Hailey Steinfeld, robbed for “Edge of Seventeen”, is more deserving of a nomination for “Bumblebee” than overrated fame whore Blunt.

by Anonymousreply 412December 18, 2018 3:26 AM

The Emily Blunt troll is Jenna Fischer!

by Anonymousreply 413December 18, 2018 3:28 AM

Who could delete Blunt from the lineup?

1> Nicole Kidman - Destroyer

2> Yalitzia Aparicio - Roma

3> Toni Collette - Hereditary

4> Julia Roberts - Ben is Back

5> Elsie Fisher - Eighth Grade

I think Kidman or Fisher have the strongest shot of removing Blunt.

by Anonymousreply 414December 18, 2018 3:41 AM

I think Aparicio has the best shot at replacing Blunt out of those, but it looks like this lineup is set. And I was massively skeptical of the chances for “Mary Poppins Returns,” but that movie’s team is playing the game very well right now.

by Anonymousreply 415December 18, 2018 3:53 AM

[quote]r390 Blunt and her hubby are both gay

Why do you say that?

by Anonymousreply 416December 18, 2018 4:16 AM

Because he's an alcoholic mess who is just trying to start things, r416. He's not even a good troll. The Emily Blunt Troll is an embarrassment to Trolls and to musical lovers.

by Anonymousreply 417December 18, 2018 6:30 AM

Jenna Fischer is a beautiful, multifaceted, grandiose actor with so much gravitas.

by Anonymousreply 418December 18, 2018 6:18 PM

Jenna Fisher embodies a poor man’s Amy Adams.

by Anonymousreply 419December 18, 2018 8:21 PM

Amy Adams is ok but boring as hell. Her acting is so predictable, so one note, so bland.

by Anonymousreply 420December 18, 2018 11:12 PM

I never knew people actually stanned Amy Adams. Besides Enchanted, she's quite boring

by Anonymousreply 421December 19, 2018 12:14 AM

She’s a good actress. Her next one, The Woman in the Window, is based on a massive best seller and will probably do well.

by Anonymousreply 422December 19, 2018 12:51 AM

Many people think Amy Adams is due an Oscar. She consistently gives great performances.

by Anonymousreply 423December 19, 2018 12:55 AM

How will Vice's mixed reviews affect Bale and Adams's chances for noms? Also Rockwell's.

by Anonymousreply 424December 19, 2018 12:55 AM

Yalitza or Kidman should replace Blunt.

by Anonymousreply 425December 19, 2018 1:10 AM

[quote]How will Vice's mixed reviews affect Bale and Adams's chances for noms? Also Rockwell's.

I think they’re done; Rockwell was never really going to happen anyway. Adams isn’t getting raves and while Bale is, a) he doesn’t campaign and b) he’s already won fairly recently. Seems baring some catastrophe this is Cooper’s to win.

by Anonymousreply 426December 19, 2018 1:15 AM

Amy Adams is not overdue. Especially in the same year that you have Glenn Close getting nominated again over a span of thirty five years.

Amy isn't as good as she was when she hit it big. She's done some real clunkers in recent years.

by Anonymousreply 427December 19, 2018 1:17 AM

I thought she should’ve won for Arrival. Nocturnal Animals was great as well.

by Anonymousreply 428December 19, 2018 1:26 AM

Amy Adams should change her name to Blandy McBlanderson. She is extremely dull, highly overrated, and actually quite annoying with that high pitched mousy voice.

by Anonymousreply 429December 19, 2018 4:29 AM

R429 Hahahahah...so true.

by Anonymousreply 430December 19, 2018 5:24 AM

Nocturnal Animals all she did was act like she was reading a book.

by Anonymousreply 431December 19, 2018 5:26 AM

R429 Mannish jelous bitch Jessica shitstain.

by Anonymousreply 432December 19, 2018 5:41 AM

R432 Also known as Jessica the Enabler of Mathew Newtown known documented abuser of women and men.

by Anonymousreply 433December 19, 2018 6:09 AM

Oh now that’s definitely Matt the Loon r433.

by Anonymousreply 434December 19, 2018 7:25 AM

R433 No, I'm not the Lange nut.

by Anonymousreply 435December 19, 2018 7:41 AM

Kidman’s performance is a hard one to ignore. The Academy loves her and they nominated Denzel for great performances in poorly constructed films (Roman Israel).

Blunt and Krasinski are in publicity overdrive to get A Quiet Place nominated. My fear is the Academy will give her both nods because her Oscar campaigning is off the charts. Mary Poppins Returns is no Chicago. It’s not even Into the Woods, but Blunt is Teflon with movie critics. They all widely praise her broad portrayal.

All said, Toni Collette and Yalitza Aparicio should be on the list.

by Anonymousreply 436December 19, 2018 8:55 AM

Here's some movies with better critical reception than Vice and Bohemian Rhapsody that are barely in the Oscar conversation: Boy Erased,Beautiful Boy, First Man, First Reformed, The Old Man And The Gun, The rider, Eighth Grade, Leave No Trace, Support The Girls, We the Animals, Sorry to Bother You, The Sisters Brothers. All of those movies have greater critical acclaim. The Oscars have become the perfect example of putting lipstick on a pig.

by Anonymousreply 437December 19, 2018 1:08 PM

Omg, Amy Adams hate. Didn't know anyone hate her.

by Anonymousreply 438December 19, 2018 1:36 PM

According to DL, Jessica Chastain hates Amy Adams long time.

by Anonymousreply 439December 19, 2018 2:05 PM

I’ve oft said this but how the hell did Weinstein buy all those Oscars for his actresses? Yes he was a shrewd and relentless campaigner but in the end all Academy voters are alone with their ballots and they can vote for anyone they damn please, Unless Harvey is actually standing behind them with a gun to their heads which could very well be true now that he is been exposed for the sleaze he is.

by Anonymousreply 440December 19, 2018 3:07 PM

Harvey was a shrewd campaigner, but he also sold Oscar voters what they always bought anyway. Rising star Jennifer Lawrence, hot off a huge hit and playing mouthy and crazy, was always going to be an easy sell to Oscar voters. So was Hollywood Princess Gwyneth Paltrow spouting Shakespeare by way of Stoppard.

You can’t blame Harvey for the fact that Oscar voters have always had a thing for young, pretty actresses.

by Anonymousreply 441December 19, 2018 3:56 PM

[quote]You can’t blame Harvey for the fact that Oscar voters have always had a thing for young, pretty actresses.

I thought we were talking about Jennifer Lawrence and Goop Paltrow.

by Anonymousreply 442December 19, 2018 5:15 PM

[quote]Mary Poppins Returns is no Chicago. It’s not even Into the Woods

Oh, it's far superior to Into the Woods, although both films are dragged by having Meryl "Ham" Streep in them. At least she's not a lead in Mary Poppins Returns.

Toni Collette is a big fat "no thanks" from almost every corner as far as end of the year acclaim. She's dead in the water re the Oscars. If someone falls out of Best Actress, could be Blunt or McCarthy or even close, they're getting replaced with Kidman or Julia Roberts. That's it.

And I highly doubt Blunt will get two Oscar nominations, since one movie is horror and the other movie will be a box office success but is getting very mixed reviews.

by Anonymousreply 443December 19, 2018 5:21 PM

2019 Oscars: 5 reasons why Glenn Close will win Best Actress for The Wife

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444December 19, 2018 6:00 PM

[quote]Blunt and Krasinski are in publicity overdrive to get A Quiet Place nominated.

The PR thing with fake power couples make me vomit I hope she gets snubbed for her both film and she's not supporting in A Quiet Place in no way she deserve a nomination for that film in supporting category

by Anonymousreply 445December 19, 2018 6:12 PM

Amy Adams is already nominated way more than she deserves she doesn't need any more nominations

by Anonymousreply 446December 19, 2018 6:16 PM

Queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447December 19, 2018 6:17 PM

Reina

by Anonymousreply 448December 19, 2018 6:19 PM

Yalitza!!! Please Academy! She’s the star of the best picture front runner and deserves to be nominated over “practically perfect” Blunt (eye roll).

by Anonymousreply 449December 19, 2018 6:53 PM

God, I hated Blunt in "Prada". Wanted to reach into the screen and bash her teeth in.

by Anonymousreply 450December 19, 2018 7:04 PM

[quote] I believe there are crimes in life but no crimes in art. Spacey should be punished for any crimes his actual person created. But not for art. All art is a crime. Punishing him as an artist only diminishes art. Put Celine in jail, put Pound in jail, punish Wilde and Bruce if you must, but do not censor their art.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 451December 19, 2018 7:05 PM

“First Man” might get shut out completely which will open the door for “A Quiet Place” (picture and Blunt, who shouldn’t be in the supporting category).

by Anonymousreply 452December 19, 2018 7:38 PM

Gag me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453December 19, 2018 7:40 PM

First Man should get some nominations in the technical categories. The best parts of the film were the space travel sequences, which were pretty darn nifty.

by Anonymousreply 454December 19, 2018 7:42 PM

First Man rivals Roma in the boredom category.

by Anonymousreply 455December 19, 2018 8:16 PM

Roma is slow but it's not boring

by Anonymousreply 456December 19, 2018 8:23 PM

Emily blunt = hairy faced bitch

by Anonymousreply 457December 19, 2018 8:42 PM

Toni isn’t getting Oscar attention because her film is a horror film but because it’s a horror film with a cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs ending. Also The scene with the little girl getting beheaded creeped out more than few. The director clearly has an obsession with cutting off heads.

by Anonymousreply 458December 19, 2018 8:47 PM

I used to like Blunt before she became overrated and publicity whore

by Anonymousreply 459December 19, 2018 8:48 PM

She was good in that don’t talk movie.

by Anonymousreply 460December 19, 2018 8:49 PM

I think many voters don't watch Hereditary because it's a horror film but they voted for 12 Years a Slave and Lupita without watching the film so I don't know if they vote for Collette or not

by Anonymousreply 461December 19, 2018 8:50 PM

R460 Yes it is her best performance in the last 14 years

by Anonymousreply 462December 19, 2018 8:52 PM

Why DL hates Emily Blunt and Amy Adams?

by Anonymousreply 463December 19, 2018 9:11 PM

Yes, r453 - gag me with John Krasinski’s enormous meat wand!

by Anonymousreply 464December 20, 2018 1:13 AM

So now the Best actor Oscar race has firmed up as: Cooper, Bale, Mortensen, Malek. Who will get the coveted 5th spot?

I've got Hawke, Gosling, Redford, Defoe , and John David Washington, not necessarily in that order. What say posters here?

by Anonymousreply 465December 20, 2018 2:31 AM

DL doesn’t hate Emily Blunt. It’s all just one deranged loon who hates the notion of a new Mary Poppins.

by Anonymousreply 466December 20, 2018 3:31 AM

Fuck off r466 . We ALL hate Blunt and Mary Pooping Returns.

by Anonymousreply 467December 20, 2018 4:26 AM

My child sceamed when Blunt’s Botox-Ed face appeared on-screen. She squealed “Mama, what happened to her nose?”.

by Anonymousreply 468December 20, 2018 4:31 AM

There are actually two Emily Blunt trolls. One keeps swearing and the other keeps going on about MPR doing poorly at the box-office despite it just opening today.

I have both on ignore.

by Anonymousreply 469December 20, 2018 5:06 AM

R467 sounds like Matt, the original Poppins Troll.

The other one sounds like a European.

by Anonymousreply 470December 20, 2018 5:13 AM

I relate, r468. It reminds me of when, as a child, I was forced to sit through that Disney shitfest, “Bedknobs and Broomsticks.” Angela Lansbury came on screen and I starched screaming, and didn’t stop till 16 years later when Murder She Wrote was canceled.

by Anonymousreply 471December 20, 2018 5:18 AM

Does the Critics Choice have a “Beat Actress in a Horror Movie” category? Blunt could compete here for Mary Poppins Returns.

by Anonymousreply 472December 20, 2018 5:25 AM

She will already be in that category for that “Be Quiet!” movie, Matt.

by Anonymousreply 473December 20, 2018 7:58 AM

R471 Mary!

by Anonymousreply 474December 20, 2018 8:07 AM

John David Washington is the 5th slot. He is black in a movie about black problems and he is a son of Denzel Washington.

by Anonymousreply 475December 20, 2018 11:40 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476December 20, 2018 12:26 PM

Blunt the cunt did something to her face, she looks "refreshed".

by Anonymousreply 477December 20, 2018 1:33 PM

God, I hated the original "Mary Poppins" when I was a kid. Twee before the word existed. And "Step In Time" gives me a headache if I even think back on it.

I wanted to turn to my mom who dragged me to it and say "Are you TRYING to turn me gay? Relax, it's done."

by Anonymousreply 478December 20, 2018 4:12 PM

Will Mary Poppins outgross bohemian rhapsody ($650 million and counting)? Or is there no chance?

by Anonymousreply 479December 20, 2018 4:17 PM

No chance

by Anonymousreply 480December 20, 2018 5:22 PM

DearGod, the TV ads are out for "Beale" and it looks like the worst Tyler Perry movie. King looks like she is awaiting for applause in every shot. Just like Bassett does now too.

Is Barry Jenkins really a hack? I hated the third act of "Moonlight" so much that it ruined the rest of the movie for me.

by Anonymousreply 481December 20, 2018 8:21 PM

R465 I'm hoping for Dafoe but I think the 5th spot is going to be John David Washington

poor Dafoe lost to a lead performance last year and is going to be snubbed for a meh performance

by Anonymousreply 482December 20, 2018 9:24 PM

R477 she had nose job and cheek implants

by Anonymousreply 483December 20, 2018 9:25 PM

Bottoms on Bottoms: Amy Adams and Nicole Kidman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484December 20, 2018 11:40 PM

Bradley Cooper reveals what compelled him to take on #AStarIsBorn: "I wanted to investigate relationships, particularly between a man and a woman in love."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485December 20, 2018 11:47 PM

R485 Because we have NEVER seen those types of stories before in Hollywood!

by Anonymousreply 486December 20, 2018 11:54 PM

R486 because he doesn't know about straight relationships

by Anonymousreply 487December 20, 2018 11:57 PM

He wanted to do something as far away from his own experience as possible.

by Anonymousreply 488December 21, 2018 12:03 AM

That Amy Adams-Nicole Kidman video was awful.

"We should do something together!"

"We totally should!"

by Anonymousreply 489December 21, 2018 12:05 AM

Yalitza deserves a slot over Gaga and Emily Blunt.

by Anonymousreply 490December 21, 2018 12:28 AM

Cooper wanted to make a movie about 100 people in a room, 99 of whom didn’t believe in Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 491December 21, 2018 12:47 AM

R489 They should jump off a tall building together - do the world a favour.

by Anonymousreply 492December 21, 2018 4:06 AM

[quote]Is Barry Jenkins really a hack? I hated the third act of "Moonlight" so much that it ruined the rest of the movie for me.

If Beale Street Could Talk is amazing and 10xs better than "Moonlight". Of course the work of James Baldwin made that so much simpler for Jenkins, but the acting is incredible. Regina King is very good but I don't feel she is better than the two leads Kiki Layne and Stephan James.

by Anonymousreply 493December 21, 2018 4:26 AM

Glenn is so headed for Oscar victory!

by Anonymousreply 494December 21, 2018 8:55 AM

Olivia

by Anonymousreply 495December 21, 2018 9:11 AM

Vice 59% Metacritic

LOL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 496December 21, 2018 10:20 AM

Looks like a croc. But then it is a film from Adam McKay why would anyone think Vice would be remotely good.

It will tank big time at the box office and be an embarrassment for the Academy should they nominate it for anything.

by Anonymousreply 497December 21, 2018 11:16 AM

R497 obviously never saw The Big Short which is a fucking great film.

by Anonymousreply 498December 21, 2018 11:38 AM

R498 It was deplorable as is everything Adam McKay is involved in.

by Anonymousreply 499December 21, 2018 11:51 AM

R493, I also thought that Brian Tyree Henry gave a phenomenal performance in If Beale Street Could Talk. It’s a small performance (he only has one scene) but that kind of thing was nominated all the time in the 1970s (Ned Beatty in Network).

by Anonymousreply 500December 21, 2018 1:43 PM

@RazzieAwards for your consideration

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 501December 21, 2018 3:26 PM

Mary Poppins is having soft box office and I’m not sold on it having legs after New Year’s.

Academy, fuck the Trump wall and nominate Yalitza!

by Anonymousreply 502December 21, 2018 8:14 PM

I’ve been slipping out of consciousness due to my ongoing medical treatments, but I wanted to know if the nominations have been announced yet? Please let me know and try to keep me in your prayers.

by Anonymousreply 503December 21, 2018 9:12 PM

I'm surprised at MPR underperforming. I thought for sure it would be a smash right out of the gate, mixed reviews notwithstanding. It looked like a critic-proof hit. Maybe it was not a good idea to open on the same weekend as BUMBLEBEE and AQUAMAN.

by Anonymousreply 504December 21, 2018 9:17 PM

MPR is not underperforming. It had a fantastic first day, 96% better than The Greatest Showman at this time last year. And it's held on pretty well through the onslaught of Aquaman and Bumblebee.

Disney SHOULD have released it a week earlier to give it a full week before the other two blockbusters opened. OR, they should have held it for Christmas Day release. But it's still doing well.

When it comes to MPR, you can regard the DL threads as the equivalent of Fox News, because they are overtaken by a lunatic with a huge anti-Poppins agenda, and he will lie through his teeth to portray it as a flop.

by Anonymousreply 505December 21, 2018 9:36 PM

R505 is some delusional haus frau in Peoria, IL paid by Disney to “recruit the gays” to go see Mary Floppins.

by Anonymousreply 506December 21, 2018 9:41 PM

[quote]96% better than The Greatest Showman at this time last year.

That’s not saying much seeing as TGS was considered a total flop out of the gate. It didn’t get its bump until its third week.

by Anonymousreply 507December 21, 2018 10:12 PM

I do think Julia or Nicole could bump out Mary Floppins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508December 21, 2018 10:32 PM

All the negative Mary Poppins comments are from one deplorable that has to mindlessly saturate the conversation with his drivel.

by Anonymousreply 509December 21, 2018 10:37 PM

Amy is turning into a big fat HAM. So desperate for that Oscah!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510December 21, 2018 10:41 PM

[quote]All the negative Mary Poppins comments are from one deplorable

That's for sure. You should see his deplorable rants on his FB page.

by Anonymousreply 511December 21, 2018 11:19 PM

Does anyone watch the Oscars? What a waste of time..

by Anonymousreply 512December 22, 2018 1:55 AM

Finally! Blunt is moving DOWN the rankings for Oscar predictions.

by Anonymousreply 513December 22, 2018 2:12 AM

R512 Yes. The last ceremony got 26 million viewers.

by Anonymousreply 514December 22, 2018 3:02 AM

Ugh, that clip at R510 was awful. Every time I see a trailer for "Vice" I cringe. It's one of those movies that seems to shout "Come watch us act!". I feel the same way when I see a trailer for "Mary, Queen of Scots".

by Anonymousreply 515December 23, 2018 4:41 PM

R515 Agree about Mary, Queen of Scots Margot Robbie is awful

by Anonymousreply 516December 23, 2018 10:49 PM

Just watched Private Life on Netflix. It was really much better than I expected. It’s a shame to see movies like this ignored by the Academy in favor of Mary Poppins Returns.

Paul Giamatti and Kathryn Hahn are both exceptional in this and probably would have received more Oscar buzz if this gem was released in independent movie theatres.

by Anonymousreply 517December 24, 2018 4:32 AM

Are you sure it wasn't 517? Some of the Netflix movies are getting a theater release then going right to Netflix as well.

by Anonymousreply 518December 24, 2018 4:51 AM

I think “Private Life” got an Oscar-qualifying run (it played for a week in theaters in L.A.), which barely counts as a release. Even something as small as “Lean on Pete” still made it to nearly 200 theaters.

by Anonymousreply 519December 24, 2018 5:30 AM

Vice looks like a real stinker.

What was SAG thinking, nominating it for so much?

by Anonymousreply 520December 24, 2018 11:28 PM

Vice only got two SAG noms.

by Anonymousreply 521December 25, 2018 1:36 AM

R520 SAG = Herd mentality

by Anonymousreply 522December 25, 2018 5:31 AM

I'm in SAG. This will sound so shallow and gay but I don't really think any of the Supporting Actors were that great. I guess I'll just vote for Timothee since he is the cutest.

by Anonymousreply 523December 25, 2018 6:09 AM

Ben Mendelsohn is very underrated and he's never nominated for Oscar he's always great

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524December 25, 2018 6:31 AM

Take Olivia Colman out and the entire acting line-up must be one of the most underwhelming lineups ever.

by Anonymousreply 525December 25, 2018 6:32 AM

Richard E. grant lead or supporting in Can You Ever Forgive Me?

by Anonymousreply 526December 25, 2018 6:33 AM

Supporting.

by Anonymousreply 527December 25, 2018 6:34 AM

co-lead

by Anonymousreply 528December 25, 2018 6:36 AM

Supporting - Melissa is sole lead.

by Anonymousreply 529December 25, 2018 6:45 AM

In the Vice trailer, Amy Adams acting seems to be same shit as she did in American Hustle. She's good at times, but can be bland and repetitive.

by Anonymousreply 530December 25, 2018 6:48 AM

Does Bale have the Globe on lock?

by Anonymousreply 531December 25, 2018 6:55 AM

I love everything Bale does. It's probably just because I fell in love with him the first time I saw American Psycho. I think he's definitely the most talented actor in his age range. The fact that he's a bit reclusive and not a fame whore makes him even more appealing.

by Anonymousreply 532December 25, 2018 7:30 AM

I so want John David Washington to get the nomination so Denzel can lord it over Meryl since none of her sprog will ever be Oscar nominated! (I guess the difference is Denzel probably wants his son to succeed whereas Meryl doesn’t want anybody else in her family to win an Oscar. There’s a line.)

by Anonymousreply 533December 25, 2018 1:08 PM

I saw a A Star is Born last night. I pretty much agree with the sentiment that the first half is much better than the latter half (so conventional in the rehab, SNL and award scenes). The music was also nothing memorable. “I’ll Never Love Again” wants to be “I Will Always Love You”. It fails, but largely because Gaga can’t match Whitney’s former voice.

However, Gaga is far and away an acting revelation hin this and deserves the nomination. She builds her character beautifully in the first half. Her lack of training in the dramatic scenes really shows in the second half. It’s sad that she’s considered the front runner. I agree Colman and maybe McCarthy are the only ones here who should win.

by Anonymousreply 534December 25, 2018 1:39 PM

I think the old fart SAG and Academy voters wants award Ally (her character) more than Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 535December 25, 2018 1:41 PM

I still don't think the Academy will give Gaga the Best Actress Oscar. It's her first film, first nomination, and she's been primarily a pop singer unlike first time nominees/winners Julie Andrews and Barbra Streisand who started on Broadway. Yeah, Jennifer Hudson won for DREAMGIRLS on her first try, but that was for Supporting Actress, which is an easier category to win (hence, the often category fraud).

If they want to award her, it will be in Best Song. That's it.

by Anonymousreply 536December 25, 2018 1:53 PM

[quote]If they want to award her, it will be in Best Song. That's it.

And even then, the song won't last through generations like "Evergreen".

by Anonymousreply 537December 25, 2018 3:13 PM

I think The Academy will want to acknowledge and encourage her performance but she won’t win.

by Anonymousreply 538December 25, 2018 3:35 PM

I think THE FAVOURITE will win Best Picture and Olivia Colman will win Best Actress.

Lady Gaga, my ass.

by Anonymousreply 539December 25, 2018 3:38 PM

Yep, 2019 will be Colman’s coronation year in more ways than one.

by Anonymousreply 540December 25, 2018 3:56 PM

Do we think Colman or Blunt will take the Golden Globe in a few days? Colman is terrific but the HFP are notorious star lovers

by Anonymousreply 541December 25, 2018 6:53 PM

Colman will take the comedy GG and Lady Caca will take the drama GG.

Close will take the SAG.

Close will take the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 542December 25, 2018 7:00 PM

Blunt will take the comedy/musical GG and Gaga will take the drama GG Close will take the SAG Coleman will take the OSCAR (and of course the BAFTA)

Everyone's a winner.

Now go to bed.

by Anonymousreply 543December 25, 2018 7:05 PM

Gaga will win Best Actress for ASIB as poor Glenn races to the toilets to cry her guts out.

by Anonymousreply 544December 25, 2018 9:54 PM

[quote]I agree Colman and maybe McCarthy are the only ones here who should win.

I agree with this comment. And I also think Colman is closer to being a front runner at this point that Gaga is. I don't think she (Gaga) will win - not for Actress, at least. Best song, probably but not definitely.

The Oscar is Colman's to lose, with Melissa McCarthy the possible spoiler. Poor Glenn loses more and more heat every day. I don't think this is her Oscar role.

by Anonymousreply 545December 26, 2018 3:56 AM

R541 star fuckers

by Anonymousreply 546December 26, 2018 4:39 AM

Coleman gave the best performance she deserves to win

by Anonymousreply 547December 26, 2018 4:40 AM

Colman*

Toni Collette was also great but don't think she gets a nod :(

by Anonymousreply 548December 26, 2018 4:41 AM

Giving the best performance is seldom a guarantee of winning, especially at the Globes.

by Anonymousreply 549December 26, 2018 4:46 AM

R549 lol

by Anonymousreply 550December 26, 2018 8:00 AM

Sorry wrong thread!

by Anonymousreply 551December 26, 2018 9:50 AM

No one is really talking about the McCarthy movie. Seems kinda dead except maybe in screenplay.

by Anonymousreply 552December 26, 2018 9:33 PM

Nobody even SAW "The Wife" - it only played for a few weeks in my city, didn't get much press. THE FAVOURITE has been ALL OVER TV. A STAR IS BORN has died on the vine, it's so last summer, with that same old hackneyed story. McCarthy will probably have other opportunites for dramatic roles - this one was a little picture with a depressing story. THE FAVOURITE is worthy of Best Picture!

And is the Academy still insisting on doing that "Most Popular" picture or whatever they're going to call it, so they can give it to BLACK PANTHER?

by Anonymousreply 553December 26, 2018 10:04 PM

What's this? I hadn't heard about this new Most Popular category. After a decade of superhero movies, they only got the idea to do this after an all-black blockbuster?

Also, shouldn't it then go to AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR since it made $700 million more than BP and is actually only the 4th film to crack $2 billion after AVATAR, TITANIC, and STA WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS? If that's not popular, I don't know what is.

by Anonymousreply 554December 26, 2018 10:14 PM

The Academy played around with the idea of introducing the most popular category in a few years, but when word got out, they were widely criticized/mocked so it appears that plan is DOA.

by Anonymousreply 555December 26, 2018 10:18 PM

Emily Blunt won't win Best Actress, Comedy/Musical, at the GG. Olivia Coleman is in that category.

by Anonymousreply 556December 26, 2018 10:24 PM

The first serious Oscar contender for 2019: Being Rose

Cybill is getting raves and could be a Best Actress frontunner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557December 26, 2018 10:36 PM

Did Cybill Shepherd transitioned?

by Anonymousreply 558December 26, 2018 11:44 PM

ASIB is starting to feel like a sweep. Best Picture, Actor, Actress, Director, Song and maybe even Supporting Actor.

by Anonymousreply 559December 27, 2018 12:06 AM

When PIGS FLY, R559!

by Anonymousreply 560December 27, 2018 12:22 AM

Best director lol

by Anonymousreply 561December 27, 2018 12:22 AM

Holy fuck - Cybill Shepherd as Mobility Mary!!!

by Anonymousreply 562December 27, 2018 1:07 AM

Kidman and Adams should do an inspired version of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

by Anonymousreply 563December 27, 2018 2:34 AM

Don’t get me wrong the black Marbel was very good but so was Spider-Man 2. So a black gay movie wins and it lols like Black Panther will be a top contender.

by Anonymousreply 564December 27, 2018 2:39 AM

Most Popular could possibly give an Oscar to Michael Bay or worse JJ Abrams.

by Anonymousreply 565December 27, 2018 2:43 AM

Nobody is worse than Michael Bay, R565. Not even Uwe Boll.

I’m starting to think Saoirse Ronan replaces Blunt in the Best Actress lineup, as crazy as it sounds. I think Oscar voters might like “Mary, Queen of Scots” more than people expect, and the reviews ended up being pretty solid. Plus, it’s Working Title and they’re pretty good at running Oscar campaigns.

by Anonymousreply 566December 27, 2018 4:55 AM

R566, I saw it last night and thought that both Ronan and Margot Robbie were very good. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see them both nominated.

by Anonymousreply 567December 27, 2018 8:27 AM

Ronan is DOA in terms of a nomination. Never has an Oscar nomination (in lead) been received without at least a GG or SAG mod. Her best hope is at BAFTA.

Even if her performance was good it was truly misguided to have Mary, Queen of Scots talk with a full on Scottish brogue. She grew up in France and English was her second (or third) language.

Robbie got a SAG nod so it's not inconceivable she could get in at Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 568December 27, 2018 9:21 AM

Ronan speaks flat-out French several times in the movie. It’s not like her background is completely ignored. The movie obviously isn’t going for 100% historical accuracy (see the racially diverse casting). Her Scottish brogue is not distracting and while you’re actually watching the movie, no one really cares about that. I’m not saying she will be nominated, but it’s a fine performance.

R568, have you even seen Mary, Queen of Scots. It doesn’t sound like you have.

by Anonymousreply 569December 27, 2018 9:37 AM

Feinberg Forecast: The Full Oscars Landscape As 2018 Comes to an End:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570December 27, 2018 3:14 PM

I'm sick of people winning for playing British royalty/politicians. Give it a rest!

by Anonymousreply 571December 27, 2018 3:25 PM

For those who care and might have been looking for it here is a link to the animated short Weekends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 572December 27, 2018 7:41 PM

And here is a link to 8 other animated short films from the shortlist.

I especially recommand Lost and Found.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573December 27, 2018 7:44 PM

R568, Charlotte Rampling, Marion Cotillard (Two Days, One Night), Quvanzhane Wallis and Laura Linney (The Savages) all earned Lead Actress nominations without SAG, Globe and even BAFTA nominations in roughly the past decade. So it’s not a regular occurrence but hardly unprecedented.

by Anonymousreply 574December 27, 2018 11:02 PM

Not so fast, Brad! Rami Malek (‘Bohemian Rhapsody’) has taken the lead in our Golden Globe odds

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575December 28, 2018 8:58 AM

[quote]earned Lead Actress nominations without SAG, Globe and even BAFTA nominations

Hoping for Collette for the 5th spot

by Anonymousreply 576December 28, 2018 8:59 AM

I can’t wait until the nominations are announced so The Collette Loon can be put out of misery, poor thing. She sure is loyal!

by Anonymousreply 577December 28, 2018 9:40 AM

R577 You are the only loon in this thread

by Anonymousreply 578December 28, 2018 9:42 AM

The Collette Loon is also the anti-Poppins Loon, the anti-Julie Andrews Loon, and the anti-Jessica Lange as Crawford Loon. His mental deficiencies cover many bases.

by Anonymousreply 579December 28, 2018 11:41 AM

I'm starting to think that Rami will win Best Actor and Bradley Cooper will get Best Director, as crazy as that used to sound a month ago and still kind of does. Cooper will get three nods for Picture, Director, and Actor (possibly a fourth for Screenplay) and Director will be his 'consolation prize,' since he had a great hand in that picture and it was a big success beyond everyone's expectations. Likewise, BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY has grossed more than half a billion dollars and Rami plays a beloved British singer, uses an accent and dons false teeth, plus as a son of Egyptian immigrants he's considered a minority.

by Anonymousreply 580December 28, 2018 11:43 AM

I am hoping Cooper takes Best Actor -- and lets Spike Lee take Best Director as a career nod. Rami has lots of time and this will be his "Buddy Holly Story" moment (thought his movie is a much bigger hit, granted).

by Anonymousreply 581December 28, 2018 4:01 PM

Spike Lee already got a lifetime achievement Oscar 3 years ago and not long after slammed the Academy during Jada's #OscarsSoWhite controversy.

by Anonymousreply 582December 28, 2018 4:12 PM

But membership has changed so we will see how it plays out.

by Anonymousreply 583December 28, 2018 4:29 PM

R579 Nice try lol I'm not a Collette loon and I love both Andrews and Lange

by Anonymousreply 584December 28, 2018 9:45 PM

The favorite look's fucking fab, I can't wait to see it.

by Anonymousreply 585December 28, 2018 10:07 PM

Well in that case, you'd better learn how to spell it, r585.

It's a Brit film, so the spelling is "The Favourite."

by Anonymousreply 586December 29, 2018 12:02 AM

Good grief - Rami is not taking the lead Actor Oscar from either BCoop or Christian Bale. He may surpass Cooper in votes - I think he and ASIB may have 'peaked early' here - but he won't overtake Bale, who puts on the performance of the year in Vice.

Viggo would be voted by AMPAS over Rami. I don't care how much money BR makes, he's still a television actor to most of them.

by Anonymousreply 587December 29, 2018 1:46 AM

Rami may have a 'hard time' taking the Oscar from Cooper and Bale is no competition. Bale's performance and film were largely panned and audiences are not interested in it. If anyone thinks the US box office for Vice is lukewarm wait to the film opens and closes very quickly in the international market. Despite all its faults audiences are loving BM and Rami pretty much survived the panning with even most detractors pointing out Rami was the best things (aside from Queens music) about the film. Whilst I think Cooper will prevail if there is an upset it will be Rami.

by Anonymousreply 588December 29, 2018 4:01 AM

Will Lady Gaga become like Cher and win an Oscar then never give a good performance ever again?

by Anonymousreply 589December 29, 2018 4:03 AM

[quote]Good grief - Rami is not taking the lead Actor Oscar from either BCoop or Christian Bale.

Personally, I'd love to see Rami take the Oscar from both Coop and Bale. Nothing against either but I get sick of this mentality that because certain actors are movie stars -- versus someone who primarily works in a "lower" art form like television -- that their work is automatically superior and they are therefore "owed" the Oscar despite their performance being the same old awards-bait bullshit we've seen a thousand times before (e.g., gaining weight, losing weight, wearing heavy makeup, etc.). Enough already.

by Anonymousreply 590December 29, 2018 4:45 AM

Rami didn't do his own singing. Next.

by Anonymousreply 591December 29, 2018 4:47 AM

R591 so? The award is for his acting. He's not singing most of the time. Plus, I believe he sang some parts though they did utilize Freddy's voice and Marc Martel.

by Anonymousreply 592December 29, 2018 5:05 AM

Not my rule r592. Looked it up. Sissy Spacek, Reese Witherspoon Jamie Foxx did their own singing and won. All the dubbed people (Jessica Lange, Angela Bassett lost.)

by Anonymousreply 593December 29, 2018 5:19 AM

Well, Natalie Portman didn't do her own dancing (allegedly) and still won, so I guess it can still go either way. Plus there's the fact that Rami is 10,000 times more electrifying onscreen than Coop or Bale, so he has that.

If anything will hold him back, I think it will be the "he's just a TV actor" thing. Cooper has finally made people forget that's where he came from, too.

by Anonymousreply 594December 29, 2018 5:28 AM

Marion Cotillard didn't sing either and she won

by Anonymousreply 595December 29, 2018 7:13 AM

R591 It's not a singing award

by Anonymousreply 596December 29, 2018 7:14 AM

R594 Natalie Portman didn't do her own dancing (allegedly) and still won

Yes she didn't but she and Arronofsky lied about it to get the most votes

by Anonymousreply 597December 29, 2018 7:15 AM

R593 All the dubbed people (Jessica Lange, Angela Bassett lost.

Except Cotillard

by Anonymousreply 598December 29, 2018 7:16 AM

Julie Christie was robbed :(

by Anonymousreply 599December 29, 2018 7:17 AM

R599 Indeed. Of course Julie Christie didn't campaign whilst Cotillard whored herself to Academy members.

by Anonymousreply 600December 29, 2018 7:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!