Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The story of Julius - the Famed Gay Bar in Can You Ever Forgive Me?

& Boys In The Band, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 15, 2018 10:41 PM

I'm going to New York next month by myself (not looking to get laid) -- just would like to hang out one night in a Village gay bar with a little atmosphere.

New York DLers: is it worth a visit? It sounds very casual and pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2018 11:40 PM

Yes, go, R1.

by Anonymousreply 2November 24, 2018 9:18 PM

Julius is awesome. Unfortunately for me it’s become much more popular and crowded. But that’s good news for a gay bar nowadays. The only bar with atmosphere left in NYC. Truly one of a kind. It’s the experience people think they will get at Stonewall - but Stonewall is a Potemkin Village version of the original tha ash zero character or history (and kinda smells).

Daytime is best when it’s uncrowded and light pours in through the windows and you can look out on a classic Village street corner - truly classic NYC. Long live Julius.

by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2018 9:38 PM

and don't forget to drop in at the Townhouse for a drink, R1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2018 9:45 PM

Ugh - totally different R4. The Townhouse is a 1980s relic that continues as an old mans bar. Julius is the hip version - and much more historic, just because there are some old guys there doesn’t make it comparable. Even the type of old guys are totally different - Townhouse is Upper East Side old professional monied gays who were or are closeted at some point. Julius is cool, experienced writers, artists and people who were truly part of the revolution

by Anonymousreply 5November 24, 2018 9:58 PM

[quote] the revolution

LOL

by Anonymousreply 6November 24, 2018 10:02 PM

Darn, I wish I'd known about this place when my boyfriend and I were in NYC this past March. After having lunch with friends in Little Italy, we walked to the Village, and went to the Stonewall which was kind of a bummer. I'd been there once years before at night, and yes, I know it's not the "real" Stonewall, but it's been sort of gross both times now. Looks like Julius' is around the corner--I'm going to NYC in the spring again and I'd like to check out Julius'.

The movie really made me miss the NYC that I first visited in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 7November 24, 2018 10:31 PM

I moved to the village in 1978 and my bars were the 9th Circle (now closed) and Julius. Julius' is absolutely unchanged since then except they don't serve hamburgers anymore. A few years ago, the building was having some structural problem and great care was taken to keep everything, inside and out, the same. It may be landmarked or owned by someone who cares. It's an absolute must. I can't go anymore. Too many ghosts. Have a drink for me.

by Anonymousreply 8November 24, 2018 11:00 PM

interesting article, i'd love to visit the piace. The pic of the scriptwriter was however tragic. wtf man.

by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2018 11:11 PM

R8 - Julius still serves burgers and other food. Owned by a woman who has been a great steward for its history and deserves a lot to credit for being interested in more than cashing out for big dollars. In an era where $20 drinks in trendy environments surrounded by image and money obsessed millennials are the norm in the West Village, it’s nice to see the tide shift back to the basics of a good bar, good people, history and character without obscene prices. Sorry you can’t make it back - but I understand some memories may be best left forgotten as they are too painful.

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2018 11:21 PM

Aww R8, sorry for your loss, whatever it was. Might you share more with us?

by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2018 11:30 PM

What part of the W. Village? Not on Christopher Street, I hope.

by Anonymousreply 12November 25, 2018 12:43 AM

Always surprised that people don’t know about Julius. (One block away from Christopher on 10th St). Truly THE landmark gay bar of NYC - if not the country. And one of the oldest bars in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 13November 25, 2018 1:09 AM

The heart of the Village. 10th Street, just one block off 7th Ave. Corner Street is Waverly Place. Great "village" bookstore across. An icecream store, too, and Highlands Pub.

by Anonymousreply 14November 25, 2018 1:10 AM

Thank you all so much for your recommendations (and to OP for the fascinating article that started it all).

It's been almost 10 years since I've been to Manhattan, and I am glad there still are places like Julius' around in the West Village.

Will definitely visit next month!

by Anonymousreply 15November 25, 2018 1:31 AM

Good ... new meat is always welcome.

by Anonymousreply 16November 25, 2018 1:42 AM

Julius' was one of my first bars, just pre-Stonewall, and I think back on it fondly. I hooked up with some delightful guys, made friends with up and coming NY writers. I was originally from Long Island, and at the time, 18 was the legal drinking age. So I occasionally even ran into boys I had known in high school, from just a few years earlier. Those were some of my most interesting "yikes" experiences ! "Where were you on the day of the moon landing ? " Julius' ! They were showing the broadcast on television there that late July afternoon , 1969. My only odd feelings about it, were that it was all Mafia controlled, and the bouncers, bartenders, were straight and not always friendly, at least in those days. But it was the Village, I was happy to be able to find what I wanted without much difficulty. Young NY area guys in the day were lucky in that sense, the city had it all.

by Anonymousreply 17November 25, 2018 3:26 AM

Didn't Tree bartend there at one point when he had been fired from 9th Circle for selling coke from behind the bar? I do remember the staff not being the friendliest but, at one point, it was a great place to pick up rough trade. They would hang out in the back. Ah, youth.

by Anonymousreply 18November 26, 2018 10:19 AM

r11 All my friends died.

by Anonymousreply 19November 26, 2018 10:21 AM

R19, are you a friend of Erica's by any chance?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 26, 2018 10:47 AM

R18, Tree cruised me across from Sheridan Square summer of 78 when he was still at the 9th Circle. I was on my own in NYC for the first time and had just turned 18, a complete innocent as to the ways of the gays. He said "My friends publish this weekly gay what to do/where to go mag called Arrows (or something like that; this was so long ago). You're cute.Wanna be the cover model for their next issue? It pays 150.00!" I said "ummmm,, OK!" Trust me I was so insecure, anyone who paid me the slightest bit of attention—and let's face it, Tree was never a looker—I was forever indebted to.

He told me to meet him at his apartment in Chelsea the next day, and he's set it up from there. So I go over to his place, he calls his "friends" who aren't there ("Their outgoing message says they're out of town!") , and then offers to blow me, which he does (see last sentence of first paragraph). All subsequent stops at the 9th Circle were cordial and rushed.

I've lived in NYC for the last 18 years and—thankfully—have not crossed paths with Phred Tree.

by Anonymousreply 21November 26, 2018 7:30 PM

Ahhh Tree. Sometimes I don’t know if anything he says is true - or if he just outlived anyone who could dispute his stories. But good for him. Still bartending at Stonewall and engaged in life. And even if only 1/2 of what he says is true, a pioneer.

Julius has had some great bartenders over the years. Billy, Tracy, Emilio. Danny is a sweetheart - one of the nicest, kindest people in the world. Some of the others are a little surly - but understandable given some of the customers were/are surly. But the younger, hipper crowd is a different scene - high maintenance in another way. All around one of the best experiences in NYC. And thanks to Helen still largely unchanged. Glad to see it make a comeback. One of the last authentic NYC bars and one of the oldest in the country. What a gay bar should be. Interesting people of all ages without the attitude and pretension that took over in the past 20-30 years. Long live Julius!

by Anonymousreply 22November 26, 2018 7:53 PM

At least 50 years. I think they've been continuously open since early in the last century.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 27, 2018 2:40 AM

"The structure itself was built in 1826, and it served as a grocery store before becoming a bar in 1864." From the Advocate article OP posted

by Anonymousreply 24November 27, 2018 2:44 AM

[quote]I'm going to New York next month by myself (not looking to get laid) -- just would like to hang out one night in a Village gay bar with a little atmosphere.

OK, New York DL, based on your recommendations, I am going there tonight.

Since my earrings are at the cleaners and my caftans at the jeweler's, I'll be the nondescript guy taking it all in and occasionally checking on Datalounge on my phone as a discreet signal ... if anyone wants to join me.

Green carnations are hard to find this time of year, so just walk up and say, "Aren't you a friend of Cheryl's?"

by Anonymousreply 25December 13, 2018 8:10 PM

I live less than 30 secs from that bar.

by Anonymousreply 26December 13, 2018 8:15 PM

Do they still have good hamburgers?

by Anonymousreply 27December 13, 2018 8:15 PM

It’s going to be packed tonight because of Mattachine. Can be a little frustrating because it’s shoulder to shoulder and everyone is trying to get a drink. A younger and hipper crowd. Not an ideal time to see Julius. I prefer it late afternoon to get a seat and look out the big windows at the Village passing by while eating a burger and drinking a beer. But have fun.

by Anonymousreply 28December 13, 2018 8:15 PM

R27 Yes among other greasy spoon faves.

by Anonymousreply 29December 13, 2018 8:16 PM

[quote]It’s going to be packed tonight because of Mattachine. Can be a little frustrating because it’s shoulder to shoulder and everyone is trying to get a drink. A younger and hipper crowd. Not an ideal time to see Julius. I prefer it late afternoon to get a seat and look out the big windows at the Village passing by while eating a burger and drinking a beer. But have fun.

Thanks! If it's too much I may go back Saturday for the more relaxed experience.

[quote]A younger and hipper crowd.

I'm 51 but I look 50! I fear the men will be pawing me.

[quote]I live less than 30 secs from that bar.

Come say hi. Let's see if we can spot a fellow DLer in the wild.

by Anonymousreply 30December 13, 2018 8:21 PM

r28 was right. Way too crowded. I’ll be back Saturday for a more relaxed experience.

by Anonymousreply 31December 14, 2018 4:20 AM

When you go back R31 will you please take Rhoda Young along with you reporting live, so we can all see what it's like.

by Anonymousreply 32December 14, 2018 4:54 AM

I would love to go anywhere with Rhoda Young, r32.

by Anonymousreply 33December 14, 2018 3:58 PM

R31, keep us posted on your adventures.

by Anonymousreply 34December 14, 2018 4:30 PM

Everyone was right -- I went to Julius' Friday night and had a great evening. You really can feel the history and get a glimpse at what the Village must've been like years ago. Music was nice throwback stuff and not too loud. I liked the fact that there was such a diverse age range and people seemed kind to each other.

People struck up a few conversations (and a guy from Queens tried to pick me up, but hookups aren't the main point there, I gather).

After walking around the city today I took r28's advice and took the subway down to Julius' for a beer and a burger just before happy hour. I had a book with me and just read and listened to jazz and Christmas songs for close to two hours. Out the window I could see people carrying home Christmas trees, walking dogs, and a grandpa and his grandson tossing a football to the great joy of both of them. It did feel a bit magical, like old New York at its comfiest.

Thank you all for the recommendation. For any others coming to town, note that Julius' is cash only.

by Anonymousreply 35December 15, 2018 10:29 PM

[quote]I'm going to New York next month by myself (not looking to get laid) -- just would like to hang out one night in a Village gay bar with a little atmosphere.

The great "village bookstore" mentioned by r14 is Three Lives. Somehow this wonderful place hasn't gotten kicked out by outrageous rent. Maybe they own it. In any case, it's a must see if you love books.

by Anonymousreply 36December 15, 2018 10:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!