Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Field of Dreams (1989)

I saw Field of Dreams the first time around, and thought it was decent. It's on TV probably once a week, and watching it recently, the acting is amateurish, especially Amy Madigan who is miscast. You can see her "acting" with her over-the-top delivery.

What do you think of this movie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104January 19, 2019 10:23 PM

I did not think Amy was miscast.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2018 1:49 AM

It doesn't hold up well.

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2018 1:51 AM

Straight dude approved

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2018 1:52 AM

Why do you say so R2?

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2018 1:52 AM

I had such a crush on Kevin Costner.

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2018 1:52 AM

Kevin Costner would be the local farmer stud, and would cheat on Amy Madigan relentlessly.

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2018 1:54 AM

I enjoyed it. Ray Liotta did a great job.

Burt Lancaster addressed Timothy Busfield (redhead who played Amy Madigan's brother) on set as though he were a gofer. He spoke up: "No, Mr. Lancaster, I'm in the movie." Lancaster patted him on the shoulder, said"Sure, you are, kid," and walked past him.

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2018 1:56 AM

I used to stare at the video cover in the supermarket as a gayling. This was when you could rent movies and video games from the grocery store. It entranced me. At the time, I didn’t know why.

Now I do.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2018 1:57 AM

A cooler actress should have played the wife, like Meg Ryan, Demi Moore or Geena Davis.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2018 1:59 AM

It's Beaches for straight guys.

Amy Madigan sucks in everything.

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2018 2:01 AM

Ray Liotta looks the best he ever looked, and gives an understated performance.

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2018 2:02 AM

Amy Madigan was offered a job as a bartender at a local bar during filming. The owner did not know she was an actress.

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2018 2:05 AM

Ben Affleck and Matt Damon were extras in the Fenway park scenes.

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2018 2:07 AM

My family is from Mass. and we have an affinity toward this movie. We always applauded the Boston/Fenway Park scenes, because we were familiar with the locations. We first watched this on a ferry from Bar Harbor, Maine, to Nova Scotia when my family vacationed in the summer of 1990. TURNER & HOOCH also played as a double bill. Good times.

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2018 2:10 AM

Don't come for Amy Madigan. Great actress. Kevin Costner was so handsome and a star at this time. Too bad his ego got the best of him.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2018 2:10 AM

R15 - Agree about Amy. Have you seen Carnivale?

by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2018 2:15 AM

This movie was BIG at the time. One of those movies that everybody talked about and went to see.

Most of it seems corny now, but the ending is great with, "Wanna have a catch?" and the long line of headlights in the fields.

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2018 2:16 AM

Just because she's a good actress doesn't mean she's good in everything.

by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2018 2:17 AM

R17 it was also nominated for Best Picture which was difficult for a film of that genre to accomplish when there were only 5 slots available. And it was released in April!

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2018 2:20 AM

R14 you and me both, my family might have been on that ferry too.

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2018 2:23 AM

Karen Allen, Kim Basinger, Jamie Lee Curtis, Geena Davis, Jodie Foster, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Demi Moore, Michelle Pfeiffer, Meg Ryan, Molly Ringwald, Rene Russo, Susan Sarandon, Ally Sheedy, Madeleine Stowe, Emma Thompson and Sigourney Weaver were considered for Annie Kinsella.

by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2018 2:31 AM

Ally Sherry was about 25. Molly was about 20. You are full of shit R21

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2018 2:35 AM

Sheedy, I meant.

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2018 2:40 AM

It's from the imdb link R21 under trivia

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2018 2:40 AM

R24 IMDb can be edited by anyone, like Wikipedia. It's not a reliable source.

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2018 2:42 AM

If anyone would have been nominated for acting it would have been James Earl Jones.

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2018 2:54 AM

FUN FACT: JEJ's character "Terence Mann" was supposed to be JD Salinger (like in the book), but he threatened to sue if his name or likeness was used in the film.

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2018 2:59 AM

Ally Sheedy would have been a good choice. She and Kevin Costner both have an awkward, shoegaze quality.

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2018 3:05 AM

She was 25 and looked 20.

by Anonymousreply 29November 23, 2018 3:06 AM

Madigan was a recent Oscar-nominee when FIELD OF DREAMS was made. That's probably why she got it.

by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2018 3:07 AM

I was in college at the time. It is corny, but it did strike a chord with a lot of guys I knew as well as myself, because we were at the age when you are st the transitition of having the teenage clashes with your Dad to having an adult relationship. I think it captured the friction young men often have with there Dad while showing it can be worked through.

I believe I also appreciated Costner and his 501s. There was about a five year stretch where every film he made was a hit.

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2018 3:09 AM

R19, so many great films didn’t get nominated that year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2018 3:09 AM

Kevin Costner was thirty-four at the time. A movie wife nine years younger is not unusual.

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2018 3:12 AM

They had a school aged daughter. Ally Sheedy was too young for the role.

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2018 3:14 AM

Ally Sheedy didn't appear youthful at all in St. Elmo's Fire, which was released four years before Field of Dreams. She could easily have portrayed a Midwestern soccer mom.

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2018 3:19 AM

I saw the movie with my family one of the first weekends it was out and as soon as we got home my mom called Barnes & Noble and asked if they had in stock “The Boatrocker” by Terrence Mann. The guy on the phone said “you just saw Field of Dreams didn’t you? You know it’s a not a real book.”

by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2018 5:33 AM

The Untouchables came out in 1987. Costner was hot as an actor. Baseball was a lot more popular then. It was an ambitious movie. It’s not something I’d want to watch again.

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2018 6:53 AM

My father died suddenly when I was 17, leaving much unsaid. So when I first saw it in 1989, the last 10 minutes had me bawling uncontrollably in the theater.

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2018 7:01 AM

[quote]Ally Sheedy was too young for the role.

Is there really such thing as "too young" for a role? I don't think so!

by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2018 7:51 AM

It's "The Wizard of Oz" for straight guys.

by Anonymousreply 40November 23, 2018 8:00 AM

Costner looked great in those tight jeans. His basket was really something.

by Anonymousreply 41November 23, 2018 8:29 AM

You're a bunch of perverts.

by Anonymousreply 42November 23, 2018 10:03 AM

Interesting thing about Costner in his heyday - he often had older actresses being cast as his spouses/love interests - Madigan, Sissy Spacek in JFK, Mary McDonnell in Dances with Wolves and Sarandon in Bull Durham (in which his is the older, seasoned man vying for her attention). He even had an affair with G in The Big Chill, for God's sake! (ok, it was left on the cutting room floor, but still). Even the other, younger actresses paired with him in the late '80s/early '90s were his contemporaries, only slightly younger than him (Sean Young, Madeleine Stowe, M E Mastrantonio, Patricia Clarkson). I always liked this about him.

by Anonymousreply 43November 23, 2018 1:01 PM

Remembering Field Of Dreams makes me appreciate Waterworld. If not for Waterworld being such an expensive flop, he'd probably still be subjecting us to these bland, pale Boomer flicks.

by Anonymousreply 44November 23, 2018 1:20 PM

Loved this movie when I was an adolescent....saw it in the theater multiple times. Just watched it again on tv after many many years and....it's embarrassing. Like just so shamelessly maudlin. Beaches for straight guys is totally correct, as a previous poster put it. But....Ray Liotta was FUCKING HOT. He burns up the screen.

by Anonymousreply 45November 23, 2018 1:31 PM

[Quote] If not for Waterworld being such an expensive flop,

They should've known it was going to flop the second they decided to write a scene where Kevin drinks his own piss.

by Anonymousreply 46November 23, 2018 1:32 PM

James Earl Jones was robbed of an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 47November 23, 2018 1:43 PM

For ‘Field Of Dreams’, r47? No.

by Anonymousreply 48November 23, 2018 2:33 PM

Kevin was sex on a stick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 23, 2018 2:37 PM

Dwier Brown - the actor playing the dad. Why didn’t he have a bigger career?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 23, 2018 2:41 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 23, 2018 2:42 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 23, 2018 2:43 PM

Contrary to popular belief, WATERWORLD didn't flop that badly. It was actually the 8th highest grossing film of 1995. But it was the most expensive movie ever made at the time and barely recouped its astronomical budget. However, it did eventually make a profit when it went to video.

by Anonymousreply 53November 23, 2018 2:50 PM

This is definitely more of a straight guy film. It's kind of like 'The Shawshank Redemption', another film that straight guys in particular seem to go nuts for.

by Anonymousreply 54November 23, 2018 2:57 PM

haha - r17 calls it corny - and it had the baseball diamond in a corn field.

by Anonymousreply 55November 23, 2018 2:57 PM

I liked the film. When I was driving cross country a few summers ago, I stopped in the town in Iowa where it was shot. The diamond is still there, in the middle of a cornfield.

by Anonymousreply 56November 23, 2018 3:07 PM

Ooh, yes, sweet Dwier Brown! He wrote a book about his experience making the film, and toured at baseball games etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 23, 2018 6:45 PM

I liked this movie a lot. Don't see how it's a straight guy movie. One of the few instances where the movie is better than the book.

by Anonymousreply 58November 23, 2018 7:21 PM

It's a tribute to the lost longing of paternal connection, using baseball as a substitute for true affection.

It's every straight guy's fantasy to have a sports field in his back yard.

It's about paternal redemption, a claiming of one's masculine yet empathetic identity.

If you can't understand that, R58, then you're a bit obdurate.

by Anonymousreply 59November 23, 2018 7:51 PM

R59 yeah, well, you have a big behind.

by Anonymousreply 60November 23, 2018 7:52 PM

I wish!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 23, 2018 7:54 PM

Great soundtrack...

by Anonymousreply 62November 23, 2018 8:03 PM

[quote] Is there really such thing as "too young" for a role? I don't think so!

No! Never!

by Anonymousreply 63November 23, 2018 8:18 PM

I love this movie. I can't even talk about it without getting choked up. Burt Lancaster is amazing, James Earl Jones is genius, Ray Liotta is wonderful, Frank Whaley is adorable, Dwier Brown is dreamy, and Amy Madigan is perfect.

(And, yes, it is much better than the book.)

by Anonymousreply 64November 23, 2018 8:22 PM

It's one of my earnest Americana guilty pleasures. If you allow yourself to feel emotion without caring if anyone thinks it's cool, every once in a while, it's actually pretty moving.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 23, 2018 8:36 PM

It's also something I never "got" until fairly recently because I was always too young to appreciate it. I used to roll my eyes over these kind of movies but now I miss them. They were pretty brave in the human vulnerability they laid bare. You very rarely see that in movies anymore. Now everything is about being harder, colder than most people really are at their core.

Culturally, I think this has lead to lots of people who don't know how to express these vulnerabilities in healthy ways because these things used to be examined in film and music. Now everyone puts on a dead front, aches and stews inside and blows up at random times. The only film I've recently film that made me think of this genre was "I can Only Imagine" which per DL, would be classified as "cheese fest". But when the son was nursing his dying, abusive father and choosing to forgive him, it was the first time I've gotten teary eyed in a theater.

by Anonymousreply 66November 23, 2018 8:42 PM

r66 "...I've recently [found]..."

by Anonymousreply 67November 23, 2018 8:43 PM

"The Glass Castle" that was also another one that was pretty moving in this raw way. It was perfect but most of it felt honest.

by Anonymousreply 68November 23, 2018 8:47 PM

R68 "...[wasn't]..."

by Anonymousreply 69November 23, 2018 8:48 PM

I feel that way about the much maligned MILLION DOLLAR BABY, r68. I saw it just after my mother had received a cancer diagnosis, and sat there in the cinema, wiping away tears, during the closing credits. About 4 other people were as well.

by Anonymousreply 70November 23, 2018 9:06 PM

You know Kevin Costner is from Compton? He needs a gangsta role, a la Denzel Washington in TRAINING DAY, all braids and gold jewelry.

by Anonymousreply 71November 23, 2018 9:08 PM

R71 If you presumed I'd be uninterested in seeing Costner in Guido-gear, you're more wrong than you know!

by Anonymousreply 72November 23, 2018 9:12 PM

R59, Guess what? I'm gay and that movie spoke to me more than any Judy Garland schmaltz fest. Go back to your Beaches-Steel Magnolias- Fried Green Tomatoes marathon.

by Anonymousreply 73November 23, 2018 9:12 PM

[quote]ames Earl Jones was robbed of an Oscar.—Anonymous..... For ‘Field Of Dreams’, [R47]? No.

Ahh yes, he was wonderful in it.

by Anonymousreply 74November 23, 2018 9:52 PM

The scene with Timothy Busfield yelling at the daughter and her falling off the stands would be deleted today.

by Anonymousreply 75November 24, 2018 3:28 AM

R75 why?

by Anonymousreply 76November 24, 2018 3:56 AM

I don't care what anyone says, I loved it when Kevin Costner was an A-List star. He really is one of the last stars that came out of the system.

No Way Out, The Untouchables, Bull Durham, Field of Dreams and Dances with Wolves are all great films that have stood the test of time. Unpopular opinion but I still love The Bodyguard, Revenge (both cuts) and A Perfect World.

by Anonymousreply 77November 24, 2018 4:13 AM

I'm amazed that DANCES WITH WOLVES was the 3rd highest-grossing film of 1990, after HOME ALONE and PRETTY WOMAN and ahead of TOTAL RECALL, BACK TO THE FUTURE III, and DIE HARD 2. Can you imagine a slow-moving, 3-hour epic even making a profit today? Of course, nowadays, there would be cries and protests about 'cultural appropriation.' *sigh*

by Anonymousreply 78November 24, 2018 2:17 PM

Following No Way Out with Field of Dreams was a two-movie career catapult for Kevin Costner.

by Anonymousreply 79November 27, 2018 2:16 AM

He was hot in every way from the late 80s through the early 90s.

I decorated my first apartment in Hollywood with that photo of him, laying down, shirt open revealing hairy chest, staring at the camera.

Soon after moving there, I worked at a theater in LA and was so jealous when a co-worker of mine, a wannabe actor, walked out of the theater alongside Kevin Costner one night. He said he told Kevin Costner about his dream of being an actor and Kevin walked to the parking lot with him, asking questions and offering encouragement.

Gorgeous AND nice.

by Anonymousreply 80November 27, 2018 2:37 AM

I thought Dwier Brown was 10 times hotter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81November 27, 2018 2:39 AM

Kevin Costner is often a pleasure to watch when he turns up in supporting roles like in HIDDEN FIGURES and MAN OF STEEL.

Apparently his TV show sucks, though.

by Anonymousreply 82November 27, 2018 3:12 AM

I used to dream of Kevin plowing me in that field.

by Anonymousreply 83November 27, 2018 3:19 AM

I generally do not care for mustaches but thought Costner was sexy as fuck in “American Flyers”. Also his most homoerotic film to date.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84November 27, 2018 3:19 AM

I'm not sure "Fandango" can be classified as homoerotic, but this scene sure worked its magic on me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85November 27, 2018 3:44 AM

R79 he was actually quite good in No Way out or any role that allowed him to have a bit of an edge. But in this, Dances with Wolves and especially the Untouchables, he was bland as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 86November 27, 2018 6:13 AM

Yeah, r86, the occasional times Costner branches out into different roles like A Perfect World or Mr. Brooks, he is really good.

by Anonymousreply 87November 27, 2018 6:17 AM

[Quote] The only film I've recently film that made me think of this genre was "I can Only Imagine" which per DL, would be classified as "cheese fest".

My parents choke up every time they talk about that movie. It's fucking awkward.

[Quote] Apparently his TV show sucks, though.

Reminds me of Longmire.

[Quote] A Perfect World or Mr. Brooks, he is really good.

The only good movie Dane Cook was in.

by Anonymousreply 88November 27, 2018 1:32 PM

His nipple in the No Way Out poster was homoerotic

by Anonymousreply 89November 27, 2018 9:12 PM

This movie popularized the name Kevin around the world

by Anonymousreply 90December 5, 2018 1:59 AM

I loved this film when it came out. It dealt with hope, redemption, and encouraged folks to follow their dreams. Feel good. Believe in Santa Claus. Maybe it doesn't hold up over time, I don't know since I haven't seen it in years. But at the time it was released, it touched something good in folks that had been missing in films for awhile. Sometimes that is all that is needed in a movie....allow the audience to feel good at the end. The horrendous climate in this country right now probably wouldn't allow a film like this to be successful today. Sad statement. Oh, and it certainly did not hurt that Costner was at his hunkiest during these years.

by Anonymousreply 91December 5, 2018 2:34 AM

I rewatched it a few years ago. Some of it has not aged well and some of it might be a little emotionally manipulative, but when all was said and done, I was still a little choked up at the end.

by Anonymousreply 92December 5, 2018 3:05 AM

I love this movie!!

by Anonymousreply 93December 5, 2018 7:36 AM

R78 and R80, great posts!

by Anonymousreply 94December 5, 2018 7:37 AM

Dances with Wolves was the 4th highest grossing film of 1990. (Ghost was #1, then Home Alone and Pretty Woman.) Still an impressive feat, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95December 5, 2018 12:52 PM

"Dances With Wolves" would be a mini series on the History Channel nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 96December 5, 2018 1:05 PM

I'm surprised GOODFELLAS was not in the Top 10, or Top 20, or even on the list. Was it a flop? No wonder WOLVES won Best Picture and Director.

by Anonymousreply 97December 5, 2018 1:26 PM

I don't think Goodfellas was a flop, but I think it was one of those moves that gained more of a following after it was on video and on the movie channels. I don't remember it being a huge box office hit while in the theaters.

by Anonymousreply 98December 5, 2018 1:28 PM

I still see bumper stickers that say, "Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa."

by Anonymousreply 99December 7, 2018 1:16 AM

I just watched it again. It’s still manipulative hokum. I can’t believe it was nominated for Best Picture when sex, lies, and videotape and Do the Right Thing weren’t.

by Anonymousreply 100January 19, 2019 6:46 PM

Bonnie Franklin wanted the role of Annie Kinsella. There is a great opportunity for a tap dance followed by ballad when the bank guy shows up

by Anonymousreply 101January 19, 2019 6:55 PM

Lancaster got really lucky to be in several great movies when he was old. The little known Atlantic City is still one of my favorites. Gritty gangster drama, amazingly directed by Louis Malle.

(and yes Lancaster didn't like Susan Sarandon, although she was great in the movie)

by Anonymousreply 102January 19, 2019 8:09 PM

Bonnie Franklin could have done a better job than the hack acting of Amy Madigan, specifically when she comes out of the Nazi cow meeting and is overacting throwing punches in the hallway.

by Anonymousreply 103January 19, 2019 8:39 PM

“Damn it, Shoeless Joe!”

by Anonymousreply 104January 19, 2019 10:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!