Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Commoners Marrying Into Royal Families

Is It Always Smooth Sailing or Can There Be Periods of Cultural and Socio-Economic "Adjustment"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 9, 2019 11:02 AM

Yeah there's a period of "adjustment". 25 years and counting.

by Anonymousreply 1November 21, 2018 3:22 AM

Princess Charlene had a rocky start before walking up the aisle. Supposedly, she even tried to take refuge in her country's embassy in Paris in an attempt to get out of the wedding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 21, 2018 3:55 AM

Princess Masako is such a tragedy. She's just want to be a businesswoman, yet the prince insists on marrying her, so she has to cave under the Jap social pressure. Of course, queen mother was a cunt to her as she was such bright and ambitious woman, not "good wife, wise mother." Now Masako is stuck in this catch 22 and is only hollow shell of her former self.

by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2018 3:55 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 28, 2018 7:07 PM

Sparkle looks like Madame in OP's pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 28, 2018 7:11 PM

Ignored, r5.

by Anonymousreply 6November 28, 2018 7:39 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 28, 2018 7:44 PM

What exactly are your choices if you are royal and want to marry royal? I got the impression it was slim pickins' or Exhibit A:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 28, 2018 7:48 PM

Harry Potter castle.

Duke and Duchess of Northumberland. Jane Richard was born in Edinburgh in 1958 and is one of four children of the stockbroker John Richard (1933–2003). At the age of 16, Jane met the 17-year-old Lord Ralph Percy at his cousin's birthday party, and later followed him to the University of Oxford, where she took a secretarial course. They married on 21 July 1979 at Traquair Parish Church, despite being deemed too young by their parents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 28, 2018 7:58 PM

Duke and Duchess of Northumberland at daughter's wedding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 28, 2018 8:01 PM

For those interested in tiaras, take a look at this link.

Duchess of Northumberland’s Tiaras

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 28, 2018 8:04 PM

R9, R10, R11 = Duke of Northumberland

by Anonymousreply 12November 28, 2018 8:17 PM

LOL! Indeed!

by Anonymousreply 13November 28, 2018 8:19 PM

r12 = DL Hall Monitor.

by Anonymousreply 14November 28, 2018 8:20 PM

I like her but from op's and other pics, I'm afraid Meghan is not going to age well and she'll age soon.

by Anonymousreply 15November 28, 2018 8:52 PM

Drumming my fingers in anticipation of the bling that will see daylight at the next coronation... but dreading the closed chapter of our beloved QEII.

by Anonymousreply 16November 28, 2018 9:02 PM

When that time comes, r16 - it will be strawberries, cream and champagne. And tears. I imagine the U.K. (and other parts of the world) will more or less be fixated on the funeral. She was our Queen since I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 17November 28, 2018 9:09 PM

Can't wait for queen Camilla

by Anonymousreply 18November 28, 2018 9:21 PM

Commoners, yes OP.

Dead-common American grifters, no.

by Anonymousreply 19November 28, 2018 9:24 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 28, 2018 9:34 PM

[quote]Can't wait for queen Camilla

That will be quite a sight to behold. Everyone will be thinking the SAME THING "Should have been Queen Diana."

by Anonymousreply 21November 28, 2018 9:35 PM

Or "Thank god it's not Queen Diana!"

by Anonymousreply 22November 28, 2018 9:37 PM

Diana would have smashed her dress that special day, r22. Camilla will look something like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 28, 2018 9:51 PM

Anyone marrying into a royal family has to make an adjustment. I'm sure many people know that Diana came from a very old family with many connections to the royal family, sharing many ancestors as well. She had a difficult time with it as we found out. The Queen Mother was considered a commoner as well, but she seemed to fit in quite well. My point is that it depends on the person, and I suppose who they marry, whether they will fit in or not. (I wonder if OP knows who is considered a commoner by the royal family. Perhaps do some research?)

by Anonymousreply 24November 28, 2018 9:57 PM

R24 - The common people, also known as the common man, commoners, or the masses, are the ordinary people in a community or nation who lack any significant social status, especially those who are members of neither royalty, nobility, the clergy, nor any member of the aristocracy. You might be interested in further reading about the aristocracy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 28, 2018 10:13 PM

It can also be viewed as royal families marrying into commoners.

by Anonymousreply 26November 28, 2018 10:20 PM

R20 that one is my favorite, and he reminds me of The talented Mr. Ridley.

And what of Mette-marit, the former raver single mother turned Norwegian princess? I love that story too.

by Anonymousreply 27November 28, 2018 10:23 PM

"Also, the nobility tends to stick to their own ranks when it comes to choosing mates. The Dukes are fairly closely related to one another, cousin marriages being somewhat common. While there are occasional marriages out of the class, that usually occurs to obtain an heiress. One danger of inbreeding is infertility. "

-- Excerpt from link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 28, 2018 10:26 PM

Yes, Mette-Marit had a son out of wedlock (Magnus) with a known drug dealer.

by Anonymousreply 29November 28, 2018 11:35 PM

I always thought that Royals should stay within their own circles...well, maybe venture out into aristocratic circles. Actresses marrying princes...seems risky to me...all royals can't be inbred. Harry and Megyn seem ok, ...everyone was so moved at their wedding when he mouthed to her" You look amazing, I'm so lucky" Are you kidding me? As soon as she said "I do" the cash register sounded. There's a lot of time left to see how lucky he is going to be...She's the lucky one!

Funny how supposedly liberated women don't want to be assessed by their looks, and yet they run for the altar no questions asked if its a Prince...Then there's the Megan Mc Cains (not a royal, I know) always boasts "I'm a straight shooter...a crazy girl who likes to shoot guns and drink". What is it with women t oday..no wonder guys are coming out like mad, why bother?

Megan M was supposedly a feminist at age 8...give me a break no feminist marries into the most controlling family on the planet. I never believed Grace Kelly was the royal type...she slept around a lot too. and of course that supposed Trans... Wallace Simpson reeked of gold digging...

I wonder if Harry has some sort of hidden grudge towards his family by marrying biracial Megyn...there were rumors that 'the firm 'was outraged and livid that Diana was dating Dodi Fayed...a Muslin Egyptian with an obvious touch of African in him...outrageous rumors that Diana was killed because of this...no Muslin step-father to the future king is allowed! do you suppose that's Harry motivation. Whatever... marriage is tough so I wish everyone the best.

by Anonymousreply 30November 29, 2018 1:38 AM

Yes, R30 - Diana’s relationship with a muslin threatened the very fabric of society.

by Anonymousreply 31November 29, 2018 2:51 AM

Where's CHELSY?!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 4, 2018 1:37 AM

Theyre still in that conference.

by Anonymousreply 33December 4, 2018 2:54 AM

Africa?, r33?

by Anonymousreply 34December 4, 2018 2:56 AM

When was the last time a royal actually married someone else royal? I thought it was the norm to marry commoners (albiet wealthy, aristocratic ones like Princess Eugenie's hubby) these days.

by Anonymousreply 35December 4, 2018 9:04 AM

Lots of royals still marry royals, R35, but you probably wouldn’t have heard of them.

If you are referring to the British royal family, the last marriage to another royal was between Prince George, the fourth son of King George V and Queen Mary, and Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark, known as Duke and Duchess of Kent after their wedding, in 1934.

Their children are the current Duke of Kent, Princess Alexandra and Prince Michael of Kent.

Princess Marina was the first cousin of Prince Phillip, so they kept it in the family!

by Anonymousreply 36December 4, 2018 9:24 AM

R30, Diana was the mother of a future king, Meghan is not unless a lot of people die.

by Anonymousreply 37December 4, 2018 9:55 AM

Prince Daniel is well-liked and has made a good adjustment to the royal family.

by Anonymousreply 38December 4, 2018 10:59 AM

Prince Daniel is an excellent example of a commoner adapting perfectly to a royal framework. Keeps his head down, doesn't make waves, supportive of Crown Princess Victoria, and smiles a lot. Much like Kate.

Megs could learn a thing or three from both of them.

by Anonymousreply 39December 4, 2018 11:29 AM

[quote]I wonder if Harry has some sort of hidden grudge towards his family by marrying biracial Megyn

See, this is why we don't think you guys are for real. You don't even know how to spell her name, you're just using the topic so you can say racist shit like this.

by Anonymousreply 40December 4, 2018 11:33 AM

Maybe she has learned something now R39, after reviewing the terms of the agreement she made upon entering her royal marriage.

by Anonymousreply 41December 4, 2018 12:21 PM

Royal or rich families can handle a poorer man marrying one of the daughters; the problems start when a son marries a commoner woman since the wife sets the social tone, and many poorer women aren't brought up from birth to handle the labyrinth of social duties and expectations.

All the poorer man needs is a little ambition and the rich family to give him a job.

by Anonymousreply 42December 4, 2018 1:24 PM

Meghan Markle holds secret 'power meeting' with Michelle Obama in London - had a "long private audience with Michelle."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 4, 2018 2:39 PM

Michelle is a very smart woman. I'm bettubg she has Sparkle's number. Interesting that there are no pictures and that the story and description of the meeting comes from "a friend".

by Anonymousreply 44December 4, 2018 8:30 PM

^^ How did "betting" become "bettubg"??? But, it did.

Obviously, should have been "betting".

by Anonymousreply 45December 4, 2018 8:32 PM

[R40] So sorry my misspelling the name Meghan..there have been so many Megyns/Meghans in the news lately ...it can make your head swim. I 'm am puzzled by you assumption that my posting was filled with racist sh##t. Odd assumption.

by Anonymousreply 46December 4, 2018 10:45 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 5, 2018 1:40 AM

Queen Mathilde from Belgium is also from an aristocratic family, marrying then-Prince Filip, now King.

by Anonymousreply 48January 9, 2019 9:58 AM

Diana actually had more royal blood than Charles, folks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 9, 2019 10:13 AM

I wonder how Meghan is adjusting to being with a guy who hasn’t lived a normal life. I mean, imagine cohabitating with someone at his level of privilege- how does it manifest in everyday living? Their experiences have been so different. How can they relate? Or do you just get used to the luxury, fast?

by Anonymousreply 50January 9, 2019 11:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!