Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who doesn't read books in America?

About a quarter of American adults (24%) say they haven’t read a book in whole or in part in the past year, whether in print, electronic or audio form. Who are these non-book readers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111March 19, 2019 1:50 AM

I haven't. I think that number is too low, I'd guess it's more like 50%.

by Anonymousreply 1November 18, 2018 12:49 AM

Ask Chris Rock. That's why he hides his money inside books.

by Anonymousreply 2November 18, 2018 12:50 AM

A number of students in my college honors class told me they would not ever read a book for pleasure. These are supposed to be exceptional students, but the idea of reading for fun was alien to them.

by Anonymousreply 3November 18, 2018 12:50 AM

I'd put that number at closer to 75% for post-college adults

by Anonymousreply 4November 18, 2018 12:52 AM

I feel sorry for people who don't read. People who don't read tend to be, well, dumb.

by Anonymousreply 5November 18, 2018 12:54 AM

A recent study shows that 26% of adults in the US haven’t read a single book, in any format, in a year. That’s more than a 1/4 of the population! How many books do you read a year?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 18, 2018 12:54 AM

Actually, that number is over 80%, OP. Also, 33% of Americans are either completely illiterate or functionally illiterate and can barely read above a 4th to 5th grade level. That's over 100 million Americans. Canada is not much better at 32%. Over 7 million people in the US are completely illiterate.

by Anonymousreply 7November 18, 2018 12:57 AM

I am about 30-40 books per year. They are my life blood.

by Anonymousreply 8November 18, 2018 12:59 AM

r8 that's a good number. Thirty to fifty books (higher if listening to audiobooks or reading (e-)books during driving commutes) is an impressive number but allows time for other perhaps non-sedentary pastimes

by Anonymousreply 9November 18, 2018 1:07 AM

I read lotsa books, but technical books for work. Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 10November 18, 2018 1:11 AM

Hukd on Fonikx durnt wurkt for me!

by Anonymousreply 11November 18, 2018 1:13 AM

I don't read much any more. I write.

by Anonymousreply 12November 18, 2018 1:22 AM

I haven’t read a book in probably 3-4 years. I like reading, but who has the time?

by Anonymousreply 13November 18, 2018 1:25 AM

When I was in college I rarely read a book on my own for pleasure, but afterwards I would always be reading. If anything in the last several years I've been reading more than I ever had.

by Anonymousreply 14November 18, 2018 1:28 AM

Who has the time, R13? People who like reading.

by Anonymousreply 15November 18, 2018 1:30 AM

If the jandras of true crime and self help were excluded, I wonder what the percentage would be?

by Anonymousreply 16November 18, 2018 1:31 AM

I used to read a lot, but now I don't. High school, college, I read book after book. Then in grad school I had to read technical papers - so many, none of which I was interested in. That seemed to kill my desire to read.

by Anonymousreply 17November 18, 2018 1:33 AM

I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't either. But I do read scripts and plays for work ALL the time. Usually 5 scripts and 1 play a week, every week on average. Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 18November 18, 2018 1:49 AM

Everyone has the time r13. How much time do you spend surfing the internet and watching TV shows? Don't pretend that time is the reason.

by Anonymousreply 19November 18, 2018 1:55 AM

R1 I concur. Barnes and Noble would be doing much better if those numbers were true.

I also suspect people are counting the Bible which Deplorables "read" [in part] every year. That might explain why it says only about 1/4 of the U.S. doesn't read.

R17 same about grad school. I avoid non-fiction like the plague, only picking up memoirs of people I like. I do still read shit by economists a lot. IDK they make great social scientists but they do.

R18 yes your shit counts .

R19 put the logic knife away. No need to stab people... yet ;D!

by Anonymousreply 20November 18, 2018 1:59 AM

[quote] Actually, that number is over 80%, OP. Also, 33% of Americans are either completely illiterate or functionally illiterate and can barely read above a 4th to 5th grade level. That's over 100 million Americans. Canada is not much better at 32%. Over 7 million people in the US are completely illiterate.

Where are you getting those figures?

by Anonymousreply 21November 18, 2018 2:02 AM

[quote] jandras of true crime and self help

Spoken like an individual who reads a great deal.

by Anonymousreply 22November 18, 2018 2:04 AM

I’m surprised it’s that low, OP. I’ve read that something like 18 percent of Americans never read a whole book again after they graduate from high school

by Anonymousreply 23November 18, 2018 2:06 AM

R19, yes I do watch a lot of TV, but TV is important. You act like watching American Horror Story, Arrow, How to Get Away With Murder, Mom, Haunting of Hill House and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina are optional (just to name a few). After all the required TV viewing, who has the time to read?

And don’t tell me watching Arrow is not a requirement. Do you really want to be the only person in your group of friends who isn’t caught up and discussing the latest ep?

by Anonymousreply 24November 18, 2018 2:07 AM

I read a lot; books, magazines, newspapers. It's a constant with me. I enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 25November 18, 2018 2:09 AM

Binge watching has replaced reading for many people. Before people had to patiently wait for the next episode of their favorite show. Now, if you don't watch it right away, you're less likely to later on.

by Anonymousreply 26November 18, 2018 2:15 AM

R24, I get the attempt at humor, but one great side effect of streaming is that no one talks about "the latest episode" anymore.

They do talk about what to watch next, but the whole thing is so decentralized that there is nothing that is must-know. And the things closest to must know, you can put off without loss of social capital.

So why not read.

by Anonymousreply 27November 18, 2018 2:34 AM

i used to try [italic]The Artist's Way[/italic] by Julia Cameron, then when the week to 'not read anything' came, i couldn't do it. I'd sooner spend a week detoxing from caffeine addiction.

by Anonymousreply 28November 18, 2018 2:35 AM

I work at a campus with a robotics magnet program. Out of the 126 students enrolled, I've only seen one with unassigned books. Most of the others spend their free time talking to each other or looking at their phones, with the exception of the small group of Lego enthusiasts who play with their little figurines together.

Most of the staff still read, but two of the math teachers admit that they don't. One prefers sports and building robots, and the other spends most of his time discussing conspiracy theories or stabbing his coworkers in the back. Some people just find other interests more fulfilling.

by Anonymousreply 29November 18, 2018 4:37 AM

Books are so boring. I haven’t read a book sense college and I’m doing just fine without them.

by Anonymousreply 30November 18, 2018 4:51 AM

Men especially dont read

by Anonymousreply 31November 18, 2018 5:03 AM

Texas.

by Anonymousreply 32November 18, 2018 5:15 AM

[quote] I haven’t read a book sense college

This truth is self-evident.

by Anonymousreply 33November 18, 2018 6:47 AM
by Anonymousreply 34November 21, 2018 8:21 PM

Growing up in the 80s I would read all the time! I loved it and it was an escape for me. Plus we only had one television without cable TV. My dad usually monopolizedthe TV so I would read. Now it’s hard for me to find a good book that I’m into. I’ve started recently listening to audiobooks while driving. That has been entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 35March 14, 2019 4:37 AM

I rarely read fiction, but I love non-fiction.

by Anonymousreply 36March 14, 2019 4:56 AM

With the internet, who has time to read books? But that doesn’t mean people don’t read on a daily basis. They read Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, DL, YouTube comments, TMZ, etc. It takes a LOT of time to keep up with it all, especially since it changes daily and fresh content keep cumming in every hour. It can be overwhelming and no one has time for books after all that reading. It’s exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 37March 14, 2019 5:36 AM

Is there a jandras troll on the Datalounge? I've never seen this tragic spelling anywhere but on here.

by Anonymousreply 38March 14, 2019 9:04 PM

I cant count the books I read on one hand since I got out of school. This book was one of them....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 14, 2019 9:21 PM

all the kids at the private charter schools.

by Anonymousreply 40March 14, 2019 9:48 PM

I think less of people who don’t read books and I can’t imagine that ever changing.

by Anonymousreply 41March 14, 2019 9:57 PM

I agree, r41.

by Anonymousreply 42March 14, 2019 10:00 PM

Deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 43March 14, 2019 10:06 PM

"We estimate that 1 in 7 adults in Palm Beach County lacks basic literacy skills meaning that they can’t read a bus schedule or fill out a job application or understand information found in books, newspapers, magazines and manuals. We also know that nearly half of all third graders in our county are not reading on grade level."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 14, 2019 10:12 PM

I'm retired (now 57, but retired at 51). I read all the time. I love it. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 45March 14, 2019 10:20 PM

R21 out of his ass, most likely

by Anonymousreply 46March 14, 2019 10:30 PM

I read books all the time... however, in Americans’ and others’ defense, thanks to the Internet, people are reading now more than ever before.

by Anonymousreply 47March 14, 2019 10:35 PM

R47, are they? I don’t doubt that the internet has increased skimming, but actual reading?

by Anonymousreply 48March 14, 2019 10:36 PM

I'm going to estimate roughly 60 to 70 books in 2018. I try to enter at least a brief comment for each at Goodreads, but I have skipped some here and there.

Here in Seattle, it's very common to see folks with either a print book or a Kindle. I'm fond of audiobooks at bedtime, and on public transportation to block out the conversations around me.

A fair amount of nonfiction for me, too, R36.

by Anonymousreply 49March 14, 2019 10:50 PM

My father and stepmother were teachers. Neither of them read much of anything besides the local newspaper and magazines like Time and Reader's Digest.

I worked as a librarian for three decades and most librarians I knew or worked with, if they read books at all, read mysteries and romances. And Harry Potter, of course.

by Anonymousreply 50March 14, 2019 10:58 PM

I try to read a book a week. And lots of newspapers and magazines. But I worked with people who never read anything at all. They were all very nice but uninformed and boring. And didn't care that they were. Sad, really.

by Anonymousreply 51March 14, 2019 11:55 PM

I hate the fact that I don't read more. Feels like it's my new year's resolution every damn year!

by Anonymousreply 52March 14, 2019 11:59 PM

Seriously. This is like the disappearing bumble bee. Soon each generation will read less and less until the whole world is just a bunch of idiotic mongoloid morons

by Anonymousreply 53March 15, 2019 12:34 AM

America is a land of illiterate,uneducated, immoral, yet self righteous, neanderthal knuckle-draggers, especially since November, 2016. 'Nuff said?

by Anonymousreply 54March 15, 2019 12:46 AM

President Trump has said he has not read a novel in years and years and years.

by Anonymousreply 55March 15, 2019 12:50 AM

Toddler-in-chief doesn't even read pop-up books. His supporters seem to LOVE certain parts of the B-I-B-L-E.

by Anonymousreply 56March 15, 2019 12:50 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 15, 2019 12:51 AM

You think non-Americans read?

by Anonymousreply 58March 15, 2019 12:53 AM

[quote] I haven’t read a book in probably 3-4 years. I like reading, but who has the time?

People who waste time posting on an Internet gay gossip forum [bold]certainly[/bold] do.

by Anonymousreply 59March 15, 2019 12:55 AM

Me. I read a lot of news, but not books these days.

by Anonymousreply 60March 15, 2019 1:39 AM

These are the same kind of people that don't listen to classical music.

by Anonymousreply 61March 15, 2019 1:47 AM

I blocked every person on this thread who says he doesn't read books.

by Anonymousreply 62March 15, 2019 1:56 AM

I've read well over 10,000 books, but you know....eldergay…..

by Anonymousreply 63March 15, 2019 1:56 AM

I think people read more than they say. It is a toxic masculinity affectation to say you don't read.

by Anonymousreply 64March 17, 2019 4:56 AM

You know, like saying you can't stand how "fake" musicals are with people bursting into song, but go to all the superhero movies, like those are somehow less "fake."

by Anonymousreply 65March 17, 2019 4:58 AM

Or saying politics are boring but spending countless hours on fantasy sports leagues that are the definition of ennui.

by Anonymousreply 66March 17, 2019 5:02 AM

Reading is very unpopular among men

by Anonymousreply 67March 17, 2019 5:03 AM

Lionel Shriver says we MUST surrender ourselves to the author.

She says the current generation are losing the ability to read fiction.

She says it in about the tenth minute of this discussion.

I agree with what she says but, frankly, I resent surrendering myself to another for so long.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 17, 2019 5:08 AM

R68 Does it matter if one reads fiction? I occasionally read fiction, but I much prefer to read non-fiction history. And, when I do read fiction, it tends to be the classics. The newest fiction I've read in the last five years was a series of Agatha Christie novels.

by Anonymousreply 69March 17, 2019 5:22 AM

I can think of two people I know who've never read a book.

by Anonymousreply 70March 17, 2019 5:24 AM

I'm not sure I'd go that far, R67.

by Anonymousreply 71March 17, 2019 5:34 AM

R61 It's easier to listen to quality classical music than read quality fiction.

It's easier to read non-fiction than fiction.

It's easier to pick up my gleaming Apple and play around with pictures, movie pictures and interactive LIVE conversations than surrender myself to the flat, motionless page and be the passive recipient to the author of quality fiction, (R68).

by Anonymousreply 72March 17, 2019 5:47 AM

I read a book a week. I also try to read articles from back issue magazines I collect, such as the late Richard Valley's Scarlet Street.

by Anonymousreply 73March 17, 2019 6:29 AM

Do audio books count ?

by Anonymousreply 74March 17, 2019 6:31 AM

I read a lot of books but I can't say I finish them in a timely manner.

Right now, I am reading four books. Three non fiction and one fiction. But I still don't think I read enough.

I usually only finish about two books a month which is sad considering I love to read and hardly watch TV.

by Anonymousreply 75March 17, 2019 7:03 AM

R74 No, they don't.

You need to concentrate if you want to savour the prose and understand the author's subtle intent.

by Anonymousreply 76March 17, 2019 7:05 AM

R76 is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 77March 17, 2019 11:18 AM

Young men think it’s effeminate, which keeps them from reading. Men are ashamed to be seen reading by their friends

by Anonymousreply 78March 17, 2019 11:27 AM

I suppose in knuckle-dragging parts of a flyoverstan that may be true, but most educated guys do read books.

by Anonymousreply 79March 17, 2019 5:07 PM

Most of America is knuckle dragging

by Anonymousreply 80March 17, 2019 5:24 PM

You can be president without reading

by Anonymousreply 81March 17, 2019 5:24 PM

Boys consistently read less, and less well, than girls.

On Scholastic’s 2016 survey of over 2000 U.S. children, ages 6-17, only 52% of boys (versus 72% of girls) said they liked reading books over the summer, while only 27% of boys (versus 37% of girls) said they read books for fun at least 5 days a week. Forty-five percent of boys (versus only 36% of girls) said they often have trouble finding books they like.

On the U.S. National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), boys have scored significantly lower than girls in reading at all grade levels every year since 1992 (the first year for which NAEP scores are available). And the gap grows larger, not smaller, as children get older, such that, by twelfth grade, more than twice as many girls as boys (5% versus 2%) scored as “advanced” in reading on the 2015 NAEP. Not surprisingly, given these data, boys are also for more likely than girls to be identified as learning disabled in reading.

International comparisons tell the same story, with 15-year-old boys scoring significantly lower than same-age girls in every one of 40+ countries on every administration of the Programme for International Students Assessment (PISA) tests since they were first given in 2000.

By the way, these disparities continue into adulthood as well; in 2016, the Pew Research Center survey of adult reading habits concluded that “women are more likely to read books than men,” and noted that 32% of men (versus only 23% of women) surveyed said that they hadn’t read a single book in the past year.

The data are pretty consistent across time, countries and age groups: there is little doubt that, on average, boys read less, and less well, than girls. The real question is why? What is it with boys and reading?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 17, 2019 5:27 PM

Inaccurate poll. Most Americans do not read books

by Anonymousreply 83March 17, 2019 5:32 PM

This thread would be more useful if it differentiated between 1. Fiction Books, 2. Non-Fiction Books, 3. Harry Potter and 4. Mindless Pap.

by Anonymousreply 84March 17, 2019 8:46 PM

Someone upthread said that having no time to read is just an excuse but I really don't have the time, unfortunately. I'm tired after work and watching tv takes a lot less mental effort than reading a book. I try to read on vacation so I read maybe 5 books a year. I don't count reading stuff for work, just reading for pleasure. For work I read a lot of articles and a book here and there, mostly parts I need.

by Anonymousreply 85March 17, 2019 9:18 PM

I kinda feel bad for those that don’t read. It’s one of the best luxuries in life. Where else can you go into your inner world and make a story come to life with words on a page. Fuck all these I don’t read, dumbass instagram I’m shirtless generation. I’m 33. Reading a book on the beach is fucking heaven to me. It’s one of the simple pleasures in life that I feel very greatful exists. I’m also into music, good music. Always have headphones in. I’m so not connected to my millennial generation. Right now I’m reading Arabian Nights. I love reading. Love music. Love food. The best things in life are free. Reading expands you and takes your mind where it needs to go. It’s the same as exercising. I’m ripped like a brick house, I do it for the drug of exercise. All these people obsessed with themselves is just so sad. Being quiet with no distractions is becoming rarer and rarer. I go to Starbucks and read a leisurely book, people look at me like I’m at a museum. I’ve had someone want to take my picture of me reading a book at the beach. It’s like it’s so rare now a days. Fucked up

by Anonymousreply 86March 17, 2019 9:47 PM

Non-readers don’t trigger me anymore, once I’ve realized that I’m not accountable to other people’s ignorance and stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 87March 17, 2019 10:07 PM

r87 Whether or not you're accountable, and whether or not it affects you are two different things. You can be right about the former, but should still be concerned about the latter.

And did you mean "to" other people's ignorance or "for"? I've been in too many situations when I've been accountable to stupid people and it's bloody hell.

by Anonymousreply 88March 18, 2019 5:31 AM

Don’t be condescending

by Anonymousreply 89March 18, 2019 11:16 AM

The religious right do not read, they are afraid of different opinions and swear words.

by Anonymousreply 90March 18, 2019 12:41 PM

They read their stupid Christian fiction and rapture books.

by Anonymousreply 91March 18, 2019 4:29 PM

A few of them read that stuff or Amish books but most of them are afraid to read anything but church papers.

by Anonymousreply 92March 18, 2019 6:29 PM

I saw Chris Rock in a book store once, why did you say he saves his money in books? Not a wise idea.

by Anonymousreply 93March 18, 2019 6:33 PM

I agree, non readers do seem to be stupid, with no imagination and no ideas.

by Anonymousreply 94March 18, 2019 6:37 PM

R84, reading is reading, nobody needs your permission to find out what is appropriate reading material. As long as someone is reading something, they're using their brain. Fuck you and your pompous ass, big brother, propaganda spewing self.

by Anonymousreply 95March 18, 2019 10:36 PM

R95 You need 5% brain power to read Harry Potter; 80% for Muriel Spark or Michel Houellebecq.

by Anonymousreply 96March 19, 2019 12:15 AM

Team R95.

by Anonymousreply 97March 19, 2019 12:18 AM

R89 This whole thread is condescending.

This whole thread is suggesting that readers are superior.

by Anonymousreply 98March 19, 2019 12:32 AM

R98, well, we are. But it doesn’t matter what you choose to read, just that you do read.

by Anonymousreply 99March 19, 2019 12:39 AM

This thread begs the question—

Are you reading to challenge your intellect?

Are you reading to appreciate skillful literature?

Are you reading to kill that empty time between eating dinner and emptying your bowels?

by Anonymousreply 100March 19, 2019 12:43 AM

This is why Democrats lose

by Anonymousreply 101March 19, 2019 12:54 AM

What a ridiculous assertion. ^

by Anonymousreply 102March 19, 2019 12:58 AM

Almost everyone I know reads but I live in an urban city where people tend to be smarter and also have commutes.

by Anonymousreply 103March 19, 2019 12:57 AM

Do Harry Potter books count?

by Anonymousreply 104March 19, 2019 12:59 AM

[quote] Do Harry Potter books count?

All books count. Some are better than others but who cares. Read what you want to read. I sometimes think the snobbishness of some readers is what scares away non readers.

by Anonymousreply 105March 19, 2019 1:00 AM

Book Lives Matter

by Anonymousreply 106March 19, 2019 1:01 AM

R95 R105 please tell that to the snobbish trolls who ruined Reese Witherspoon book club thread

by Anonymousreply 107March 19, 2019 1:03 AM

All books matter AND Reese Witherspoon is a ridiculous arbiter of literary taste. Both notions can coexist.

by Anonymousreply 108March 19, 2019 1:11 AM

The Book Burning Festival was called off because nobody had any.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109March 19, 2019 1:13 AM

I read the bible every night

by Anonymousreply 110March 19, 2019 1:15 AM

I read the Burt Reynolds autobiography excerpts that someone posted here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111March 19, 2019 1:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!