Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cincinnati chili

How do you prepare this Midwestern specialty? I like mine with cheese and onions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 21, 2020 11:31 PM

Must we go over this again. That’s not “chili”.

by Anonymousreply 1November 17, 2018 8:09 PM

I don't.

by Anonymousreply 2November 17, 2018 8:10 PM

I am making COPYCAT Wendy's chili today. Will report back(or not)

by Anonymousreply 3November 17, 2018 8:11 PM

[quote]I am making COPYCAT Wendy's chili

Why?

by Anonymousreply 4November 17, 2018 8:14 PM

Wendy's chili over a plain baked potato is probably the healthiest fast food meal you can get.

by Anonymousreply 5November 17, 2018 10:24 PM

r5 Except they don't offer it anymore. You used to order a plain baked potato and a small chili. Now you have to order a "chili cheese baked potato," but have them hold the cheese (and add onions.)

by Anonymousreply 6November 18, 2018 1:30 AM

Okay,I promise to post my Mom's recipe. But I'm a little drunk right now.

by Anonymousreply 7November 18, 2018 2:07 AM

r7 is this the recipe? I copied it from another thread a while back.

2 lbs ground beef (ground chuck is best)

4 medium onions, finely chopped

6 cloves of garlic

Put in a large pot with 1 and a half quarts of water (you don't brown the meat: that's important)

6 bay leaves

2 teaspoons ground black pepper

1 6 ounce can of tomato paste

10 dried red peppers (she eventually switched to arbol chilis).

1 Tablespoon of cinnamon (you may want to add more: my Mom always did once it started cooking: she'd just say, "It's not fragrant enough".

My Mom's recipe calls for 35 allspice berries (in a tea diffuser), but now, it would just be 1/4 teaspoon of allspice

One packet of chili powder = 1/4 cup of chili powder

Optional: a square of unsweetened baker's chocolate, or a spoonful of powdered cocoa: they add a terrific depth of taste. They're not original, of course, but many cooks here in Ohio have learned to add that.

It all needs to simmer at least 4 hours. The aroma will take over your home. You should put the chili in containers in the refrigerator, so you can remove the fat that congeals at the top of the containers. Just don't remove all the fat: as my Mom always said, "That's where the flavor is".

by Anonymousreply 8November 18, 2018 2:24 AM

This shit is not chili.

by Anonymousreply 9November 18, 2018 2:27 AM

R8, Yes, that's it. I'm so complimented that you saved a copy of it!

by Anonymousreply 10November 18, 2018 4:48 PM

Not chili. Should be called "Grecian Gunk."

by Anonymousreply 11November 18, 2018 4:50 PM

Better yet, "Cincinnati's Craptastic Crud."

by Anonymousreply 12November 18, 2018 4:52 PM

OP - is it served with crackers on top?!

by Anonymousreply 13November 18, 2018 5:11 PM

In Italian, "profanazione di spaghetti alla Cincinnati."

by Anonymousreply 14November 18, 2018 5:12 PM

Crackers are optional.

by Anonymousreply 15November 18, 2018 5:27 PM

crackers and spaghetti?

by Anonymousreply 16November 18, 2018 5:33 PM

Look, we know most other Americans don't recognize it as chili. We're accustomed to the insults. But it's very popular here, and most of us visit a chili parlor several times a month. The immigrants who developed it were all from different outposts of the Ottoman Empire. When I still worked in the city, even the highest level P&G executives would show up at the local chili parlor, and hang up their navy blue suit jackets so they could tuck into a serving. Cincinnati is half black, and both white and black people love their chili: pretty much the whole city does. Barry O even took out a carry out order when he was in town. The chili parlor he visited was right across from my old apartment building (on 7th St).

R13, It's always served with oyster crackers on the side. People typically crumble them on the chili, when most of the spaghetti has been eaten, to soak up some of the liquid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 18, 2018 5:35 PM

It may be called Cincinnati style chili but I remember having this in western PA when I was growing up. It was a way to stretch the dollar and the food pantry when times were tough.

It's actually quite good if you don't overdo the noodles. (But if you're poor, overdoing the noodles is what makes it stretch.) I've also made it more recently by using egg noodles as the noodle bed. It makes it nicer and tastier, especially if the noodles are lightly buttered.

by Anonymousreply 18November 18, 2018 5:39 PM

The cheese I get. The onions I accept. But a cracker topping on your bowl of pasta and sauce?!

by Anonymousreply 19November 18, 2018 6:11 PM

Real chili is served with cornbread. The cornbread may contain jalapeños or green chilis or just plain

by Anonymousreply 20November 18, 2018 6:29 PM

You can also serve the meat sauce over rice. That's actually a rather nice change. I've also made a vegetarian version, using lentils instead of beef.

by Anonymousreply 21November 18, 2018 8:15 PM

^^ Do you still call that vegetarian version "chili?"

I think "Vegetarian Grecian Gunk" would be more apt, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 22November 18, 2018 9:31 PM

R22, Yes, I'd still call it chili. The truth is, Cincinnati Chili is the only 'chili' I ever had, until I was much older. I think of chili mainly being based on the spice blend that's used.

One of my favorite restaurants (now shuttered) used to offer a chili made with crab meat, black-eyed peas, and Jamaican jerk sauce. It was really very tasty.

by Anonymousreply 23November 18, 2018 9:51 PM

Chili over spaghetti is awesome.

by Anonymousreply 24November 18, 2018 9:54 PM

Chili over spaghetti is an abomination. Ditto rice.

by Anonymousreply 25November 18, 2018 9:57 PM

R25 has Stated Her Boundaries!

by Anonymousreply 26November 19, 2018 1:26 AM

Miss R17 -

Is Skyline the only place to get it, though?

We went to one downtown when we visited and it seemed really gross and dirty. Isn't Skyline more fast food-ish?

by Anonymousreply 27November 19, 2018 1:28 AM

See I posted here about something similar a year ago and I got dragged for it...I hate it when people change ingredients for a recipe and they still seem to think that it’s as good as the original dish. This isn’t chili, but some frau flyover casserole. I’m surprised that no one dumped a can of condensed soup in it.

Ruffians.

by Anonymousreply 28November 19, 2018 1:33 AM

R28

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 19, 2018 1:40 AM

This thread inspired me to make Hormel No Beans Chili over Ronzoni Spagetti with Kraft parmajohn sprinkled on top for dinner tonight.

by Anonymousreply 30November 19, 2018 1:46 AM

I don’t like chili with beans. But everyone else seems to like that.

by Anonymousreply 31November 19, 2018 1:48 AM

Also great on a hotdog.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 19, 2018 3:01 AM

Well, now I've seen EVERYTHING!

by Anonymousreply 33November 19, 2018 3:21 PM

Is it appropriate to spoon it into a hollowed pepper and top it with a dollop of daisy?

by Anonymousreply 34November 19, 2018 10:01 PM

Why not?

by Anonymousreply 35November 29, 2018 7:00 AM

All chili is enhanced by a dollop of Daisy on top, r34.

by Anonymousreply 36November 29, 2018 7:17 AM

A unexpected snow storm just blew in. I'll be making my Cincinnati chili tomorrow and DLers are welcome to drop by for a taste.

by Anonymousreply 37January 26, 2019 5:47 AM

I'm making some today. I get a craving once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 38December 13, 2019 4:24 PM

Is it just as trashy to serve something like over elbow macaroni? Or does it lower the bar even further?

by Anonymousreply 39December 13, 2019 4:33 PM

Chili mac!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 13, 2019 4:34 PM

I'm from NE Ohio, not Cincinnati, but there's a Skyline restaurant not far from me. It's an acquired taste I guess, not really my thing personally, with the various spices like cinnamon and allspice, etc.

Let's not forget Steak & Shake, if you want some chilli mac, sans the Skyline spices.

by Anonymousreply 41December 13, 2019 6:34 PM

Oh, and there aren't any beans in Skyline chili, and they put a shit ton of finely shredded cheddar on their chili mac and chili dogs.

by Anonymousreply 42December 13, 2019 6:48 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 43October 21, 2020 8:04 AM

Yes, people are very attached to their version of chili. I grew up in CT and only remember canned chili on hot dogs and my mother’s watery version which was not good.

My husband’s mother from Ohio/western PA made it with dark red kidney beans and spaghetti sauce instead of plain tomatoes, no spaghetti. It was one of the rare times she ever used an onion. She’d serve with shredded cheap cheddar cheese and sour cream, and offered saltines to crumble on top. It was very tasty, and that’s how I make it now. My ex’s Brooklyn-born mother used pink beans and put it on a baked potato or rice.

Just last summer I had a cup of chili at the food court at Old Faithful National Park and it was surprisingly good. They gave us saltines to go with it, too.

by Anonymousreply 44October 21, 2020 9:05 AM

I live in southwest Ohio, and Cincinnati-style chili is very popular. Skyline is the biggest name, but there is also Gold Star Chili and a couple of other names in Cincinnati. What's missing from this thread is how you order it: If you want chili, cheese and spaghetti, you order a 3-way. If you want to add beans or onions, you order a 4-way. If you want both, you order a 5-way. People do this all day long and don't smile or think it's the least bit sexual. I'm sure the DL crowd thinks otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 45October 21, 2020 9:11 AM

We used to call that Chighetti when i was a kid.

Recipe

1 can Hormel Chili

Cooked spaghetti noodles

by Anonymousreply 46October 21, 2020 11:20 AM

SW Ohio is the only place that this shit is celebrated. Every other place considers it an abomination. You don't make chili with chocolate or cinnamon.

by Anonymousreply 47October 21, 2020 3:19 PM

Ohio. Ugh. As if we needed another reason to hate it.

by Anonymousreply 48October 21, 2020 3:29 PM

Skyline chili is gawd-awful.

Graeters Ice Cream otoh... lusciously delicious 🍦

by Anonymousreply 49October 21, 2020 3:32 PM

[quote] How do you prepare this Midwestern specialty?

I don’t. No one outside of Cincinnati does.

[quote]I like mine with cheese and onions.

Why would anyone find this interesting?

by Anonymousreply 50October 21, 2020 4:01 PM

This is just an Eastern European meat stew served over noodles. The hysteria over the name and the accompaniments is classist.

by Anonymousreply 51October 21, 2020 4:08 PM

I love Cincinnati chili, but then I'm half-Greek and the flavor profile does remind me of my grandmother's cooking. I think I'm going to try to make it with this NYTimes recipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 21, 2020 5:10 PM

Buy a spice packet from Hard Times Cafe restaurant. (You can order online.) Then just add the meat and other ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 53October 21, 2020 5:12 PM

Actually the Mayans added chili peppers to chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 54October 21, 2020 5:16 PM

I went out for lunch with my brother last week (with masks and social distancing) and had a four-way/onion and a cheese coney with onions and mustard.

by Anonymousreply 55October 21, 2020 7:59 PM

I love this chili style, especially the five-way.

by Anonymousreply 56October 21, 2020 11:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!