Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chip and Joanna Gaines’ Church and Preacher are vocally against gays and pro/ conversion therapy

Buzzfeed published this article about how the HGTV stars’ Texas Church and preacher are vocally homophobia and pro- conversion therapy. The couple say they have nothing against gays but has never featured a gay couple on their show.

Washington Post published an opinion piece saying that Buzzfeed was irresponsible to publish its piece and that a homophobic preacher doesn’t mean they are homophobic. Yet if a preacher were racist or anti-Semitic, his followers would get strong pushback.

Why is it okay to be homophobic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 19, 2018 12:01 AM

WaPo’s defense of the Gaines

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 17, 2018 2:00 PM

[quote]Why is it okay to be homophobic?

You’re asking the wrong site.

They really took off shortly after their anti-gay church was reported on.

by Anonymousreply 2November 17, 2018 2:02 PM

Isn't Chip gay?

by Anonymousreply 3November 17, 2018 2:02 PM

Why does the media just excuse homophobia but saying “People are still working out for themselves if homosexuality is moral or not”?

People are still working out the same when it comes to anti-semitism, misogyny, and racism, but the media has decided those aren’t okay

by Anonymousreply 4November 17, 2018 2:07 PM

Ironically, just 50 years ago, their marriage would have been illegal in Texas— he white and she an American Indian— and the Bible was used as justification.

by Anonymousreply 5November 17, 2018 2:08 PM

That WaPo article is two years old. Their program is cancelled anyway, yes? Or they voluntarily decided to stop. Sick to death of them as it is. The fact that for all the years of their show they never had a gay couple featured is reason enough to throw shade at them. Fuck them and their boring, plebian talent. Shiplap, barn doors and reclaimed wood? Rusty knick-knacks everywhere. White subway tile everywhere. Crap, all of it.

by Anonymousreply 6November 17, 2018 2:08 PM

R3, maybe because about half of the Nation has half those views, the string majority in parts of the country. Also, the overwhelming majority of the churches in the nation have the same views, and evangelicals and conservative Christians make up about 40 percent of the country, if you include all the conservative black, Latin, Asian and NA Christians as well as Catholics and Orthodox Christians. Sheer numbers matter.

by Anonymousreply 7November 17, 2018 2:08 PM

R7, so numbers determine morality?

by Anonymousreply 8November 17, 2018 2:09 PM

R7, it’s not 50%, over 70% of Americans believe gays are moral and over 50% say gay marriage is fine

by Anonymousreply 9November 17, 2018 2:10 PM

Par for the course in the Heartland region of America. This is a nation built on hatred. I wouldn’t bother with these people or their products (these are those Magnolia people?). I met a lady who took a vacation to Waco (can you imagine?) just to visit their store.

by Anonymousreply 10November 17, 2018 2:11 PM

They ended their show because they were busy with their business (and it’s agreement with Target). I believe they will continue to do special episodes.

It’s hypocritical to believe that Obama must be a racist because his preacher espoused racist views but somehow the Gaines don’t reflect their preachers views.

by Anonymousreply 11November 17, 2018 2:13 PM

[quote] over 70% of Americans believe gays are moral

You're dreaming if you think that's true. Do you remember the reaction to the Pulse shooting?

by Anonymousreply 12November 17, 2018 2:14 PM

Obama was made to repudiate his preacher’s views; the Gaines have never said anything against their preacher

by Anonymousreply 13November 17, 2018 2:14 PM

R12, the reaction was never “they deserved it.”

by Anonymousreply 14November 17, 2018 2:15 PM

“Seven-in-ten now say homosexuality should be accepted by society, compared with just 24% who say it should be discouraged by society. The share saying homosexuality should be accepted by society is up 7 percentage points in the past year and up 19 points from 11 years ago.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 17, 2018 2:17 PM

[quote] [R12], the reaction was never “they deserved it.”

You can clearly tell the media and the public were trying to sidestep the "gay angle" after the shooting. It was clearly a targeted attack and yet the media and people talked about it like it was any other shooting. Do you think targeted attacks against other groups get sidestepped that way?

by Anonymousreply 16November 17, 2018 2:40 PM

No, R16.

by Anonymousreply 17November 17, 2018 2:42 PM

NO MORE. ..

PEACE

LOVE

FAMILY

TOGETHERNESS

SHIPLAP

SUBWAY TILES

MAGNOLIA LEAVES

by Anonymousreply 18November 17, 2018 3:19 PM

She is half Korean, although she does look Native American.

by Anonymousreply 19November 17, 2018 3:32 PM

Half Korean, half Lebanese.

I can’t stand them

by Anonymousreply 20November 17, 2018 3:38 PM

I can forgive them the basic bitchness and homophobia, but I will never forgive them for popularizing shiplap.

by Anonymousreply 21November 17, 2018 4:23 PM

If you're following a homophobic preacher and are paying members of his church then you ore clearly copacetic with his homophobic beliefs, OR YOU WOULD LEAVE THAT CHURCH AND FIND A NEW ONE.

What is so hard to understand about that?

by Anonymousreply 22November 17, 2018 4:30 PM

What part of TEXASS CHURCH did you not get?

by Anonymousreply 23November 17, 2018 4:30 PM

Exactly, R22. I stopped watching HGTV when this was discovered a few years back. You side with them? Bye.

by Anonymousreply 24November 17, 2018 4:32 PM

I have to laugh at these people who claim to live their lives based on Biblical teachings. They're ALL LIARS. None of them, including their bigoted preacher, lives their lives on Biblical teachings. They, like all so-called religious people, especially hypocritical evangelicals, pick and choose what Biblical teachings they're willing to follow and which ones they conveniently don't follow. These people are all duplicitous frauds.

by Anonymousreply 25November 17, 2018 4:40 PM

R8, yes, might makes right. Those who turn away, will be turned against, without mercy.

by Anonymousreply 26November 17, 2018 4:54 PM

Ask a gay person (especially one who is closeted) who lives in Flyoverland to tell you how people really feel about gay people. Those of us who live on the coasts or in urban blue bubbles have no idea what it's really like.

Also Chip and Joanna just signed a deal with Discovery to create their own network.

by Anonymousreply 27November 17, 2018 5:04 PM

People who live on the coasts or urban areas know what so-called "people" think of gays, but the only real people are deplorables, and only their opinion matters.

Idiocy, the fact remains, as R9 noted, gay rights have majority public support.

by Anonymousreply 28November 17, 2018 5:11 PM

You know, the more kids they have, the more likely it is that one of Chip and Joanna's precious brood will be gay. Something for them to think about.

by Anonymousreply 29November 17, 2018 5:12 PM

When they quit their show, there were articles about how they were " so brave" and "taking such a risk." Such bullshit. I knew it was because they had something like their new deal in the works. Why be subject to the vagaries of HGTV when you can have your own network?

They're popular enough right now so they can skate over the controversy regarding their homophobic church and their seeming inability to renounce those beliefs, but that time will come.

by Anonymousreply 30November 17, 2018 5:23 PM

We will have to say a lil prayer aganist you R25

by Anonymousreply 31November 17, 2018 5:25 PM

What part of his name is CHIP did you not get?

by Anonymousreply 32November 17, 2018 5:29 PM

I'm glad I already despised these people, it saves me so much time.

by Anonymousreply 33November 17, 2018 5:47 PM

R21 wins.

by Anonymousreply 34November 17, 2018 6:06 PM

[quote] They ended their show because they were busy with their business (and it’s agreement with Target). I believe they will continue to do special episodes.

No hunny, they quit because they are starting their own NETWORK. they don’t want HGTV getting any cut of their business.

by Anonymousreply 35November 17, 2018 6:08 PM

R35 is right. These two aren't going away (and they are annoying.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 17, 2018 6:14 PM

Chip doesn't wipe properly and wears skid marked underwear.

by Anonymousreply 37November 17, 2018 6:23 PM

Wouldn't surprise me in the least, R37. He probably washes his underwear less than he washes his greasy, fratboy hair.

by Anonymousreply 38November 17, 2018 6:28 PM

WHy are there so many shows about Southern fried house renovators anyway? Who the hell cares what these sheltered, jingoistic hicks have to say about anything?

by Anonymousreply 39November 17, 2018 7:05 PM

They have books all over the place. They are way over-merchandizing their business

by Anonymousreply 40November 18, 2018 10:01 PM

That woman is a loud, whiny ball-breaker.

by Anonymousreply 41November 18, 2018 10:14 PM

I hate them. Especially him.

by Anonymousreply 42November 18, 2018 10:20 PM

The Pew Research Poll up thread is just fascinating to me. I love that they break it down by nearly every imaginable demographic. Of course everyone understands that ignorance + fear= stupid prejudice, but actually SEEING that in brown, tan and white really drives the point home. Most accepting: women with grad degrees(all with grad degrees are very accepting regardless of race/gender)

Least accepting blacks with a high school or less education. And when you factor in their religiosity, it's a miracle they don't burn gay men at the stake. I imagine that their own battle with prejudice is the reason for that.

Religion truly is the reason behind nearly all hate in the world. Knowing that, I will never understand why blacks cling to it with the force of a hurricane, They could double their progression were they to become secular as a whole. But then we would all miss those "I feel the spirit" dances in church on You Tube.

by Anonymousreply 43November 18, 2018 10:22 PM

I don't like her very much, and I agree she is probably a ball-breaker, but she's hardly loud or whiny as r41 suggests.

As to why there are never any gay couples on their show, maybe it's because any gay couples have gotten the fuck out of Waco??

by Anonymousreply 44November 18, 2018 10:35 PM

They’re anti gay.

by Anonymousreply 45November 18, 2018 10:56 PM

Can't wait until it comes out one of them is fucking someone they work closely with. Something like that always happens with these types.

by Anonymousreply 46November 18, 2018 11:00 PM

I hope they die in a remodel disaster that is caught on film. Wouldn’t mind watching fire eat them up alive.

by Anonymousreply 47November 18, 2018 11:03 PM

Who cares about these two useless twats??

by Anonymousreply 48November 18, 2018 11:04 PM

Target has a line of Chip and Joanna merchandise and this is the picture of them they use in the store. I am surprised Target didn't force Chip to shave and get a haircut, he looks like a serial killer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 18, 2018 11:05 PM

R48 Who cares about these two useless twats??. Here you are commenting. If you don't care why make a comment.

by Anonymousreply 50November 18, 2018 11:50 PM

R49 She may be a half-caste Filippino she's very definitely a pushy, aggressive Tiger-Mom!!

That poor American husband gets used as cheap labor in every episode while she prisses and prances and shrieks in a very LOUD loud Kadashian voice.

by Anonymousreply 51November 18, 2018 11:52 PM

R50 I guess that R48 is a virtuous person who like to publicize their virtue to others.

by Anonymousreply 52November 19, 2018 12:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!