Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fancy British NYC café is doing a gofundme to survive.

What do you think of this?

[quote]These funds will be used to help lower our loan repayments, pay our vendors, pay our real estate taxes, assist in our rent which for our three businesses is a whopping $28,000 per month plus real estate taxes which as landlords refinance the building increase yearly."

I know what I think - but I'd rather hear what you have to say first.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600October 29, 2020 1:54 AM

It seems they've raised $10,000 in just one day. They want $100,000.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 16, 2018 1:05 AM

and they don't seem to be offering ANYTHING in return, to people who donate - not even a tote bag.

by Anonymousreply 2November 16, 2018 1:07 AM

Fuck them

by Anonymousreply 3November 16, 2018 1:08 AM

They have "three businesses"??? WTF?!

by Anonymousreply 4November 16, 2018 1:15 AM

Not EVEN a tote bag? What a bunch of assholes.

by Anonymousreply 5November 16, 2018 1:16 AM

[quote]Any contribution you can afford is extremely appreciated. There are no words to describe how much we love this community.

Well, love don' pay the rent.

by Anonymousreply 6November 16, 2018 1:16 AM

again with the love

[quote]Give them some love and read more about Nicky and her beloved teashop here.

They want love? I thought they want money.

by Anonymousreply 7November 16, 2018 1:19 AM

I wouldn't call them "fancy".

And the question is: if GoFundMe helps them out now, what are they going to do when they are in debt next year?

by Anonymousreply 8November 16, 2018 1:22 AM

I believe their intention is to raise enough funds to pay down their business loan so that their landlord will renew their lease.

by Anonymousreply 9November 16, 2018 1:23 AM

The owner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 16, 2018 1:24 AM

All over my neighborhood, stores and restaurants are going under. I can think of so many beloved and meaningful places that are long gone. That’s the nature of New York. And life in general.

If people want to throw their money at these people, though, fine by me.

by Anonymousreply 11November 16, 2018 1:24 AM

[quote]I believe their intention is to raise enough funds to pay down their business loan so that their landlord will renew their lease.

You "believe"?

They make it quite clear what the money's for.

[quote]These funds will be used to help lower our loan repayments, pay our vendors, pay our real estate taxes, assist in our rent which for our three businesses is a whopping $28,000 per month plus real estate taxes which as landlords refinance the building increase yearly.

by Anonymousreply 12November 16, 2018 1:27 AM

[quote]I wouldn't call them "fancy".

OK - fancy pantsy.

Better?

by Anonymousreply 13November 16, 2018 1:28 AM

Sarah Jessica Parker goes here all the time. Why doesn't she front them the money?

by Anonymousreply 14November 16, 2018 1:31 AM

Sad but the people running that place need to let go, then go on to find a second or third act. The only people who should hold on are the ones who can actually afford to do so - like that forgotten ancient actrice who got hit by a bus and discovered to have lived for decades in a 25 buck a month apartment, or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 15November 16, 2018 1:36 AM

I've been to Tea & Sympathy many times.....it would be a shame to see it close, but even if they get the money, what means it will still save them? Might be time to move on....sad, but a 2018 reality

by Anonymousreply 16November 16, 2018 1:41 AM

Unfortunately, it is likely to become another branch of a bank. So many of these smaller, interesting businesses are priced out of the rental market. They all seem to turn into Banks. It’s sad.

by Anonymousreply 17November 16, 2018 2:20 AM

Are they a business or a charity? They seem conflicted.

by Anonymousreply 18November 16, 2018 2:22 AM

I love this place and have eaten there many, many times, but why not just move? There are plenty of empty storefronts around the Village and maybe they will get a better deal than what they have now.

by Anonymousreply 19November 16, 2018 2:27 AM

It's odd, because in London we've lost most of our banks.

by Anonymousreply 20November 16, 2018 2:27 AM

To ask for money and offer NOTHING in return says it all about these people.

They've been there since ‘90! Wow! Iconic!

by Anonymousreply 21November 16, 2018 2:30 AM

Never particularly liked their attitude. Required minimum purchase per person. The staff are beyond rude. She tells the customers "you don't like our attitude, then leave." Won't miss it.

by Anonymousreply 22November 16, 2018 2:33 AM

Her black and silver shoed bohemian frau couture says a lot as well.

by Anonymousreply 23November 16, 2018 2:34 AM

There are a lot of stories like that on the review sites, R22. Why am I not surprised?

by Anonymousreply 24November 16, 2018 2:35 AM

People no longer DO shit to raise money?

by Anonymousreply 25November 16, 2018 2:37 AM

[quote]These funds will be used to help lower our loan repayments, pay our vendors, pay our real estate taxes, assist in our rent which for our three businesses is a whopping $28,000 per month plus real estate taxes which as landlords refinance the building increase yearly.

I can't believe people are actually donating money - it's failed business run by obviously incompetent managers.

If it were some sort of charity that attempts to give back to the community - sure. If it were Housing Works or other non-profit.

What these people fail to mention is how much money they've pulled out of the business over the years, what they "pay" themselves, why they needed a business loan in the first place, where they went to school to learn how to run a business so other people DON'T go there, why they expanded into multiple locations, who the fool was who created what are clearly pie-in-the-sky business plans and projections, which bank was stupid enough to loan them money so we can all go get some.

by Anonymousreply 26November 16, 2018 2:41 AM

[quote]I can't believe people are actually donating money

Gurl, people sent money to West 40s.

by Anonymousreply 27November 16, 2018 2:44 AM

Broadway has no place for booze and pills, T and S.

by Anonymousreply 28November 16, 2018 2:57 AM

"...attitude..."

Well, R22, in that case, fuck them and the horse they rode in on.

by Anonymousreply 29November 16, 2018 3:03 AM

Got to admit the Lilibeth look-alike and Corgis is a nice touch.

by Anonymousreply 30November 16, 2018 3:06 AM

I’ve been there once or twice. It was nice enough. Sad, in general, to see small independent businesses struggle and fail and neighborhoods become homogenized, but this gofundme trend strikes me as - more often than not - a scam. If they can’t manage financially and they can’t or won’t get a bank to help, then their time has come.

by Anonymousreply 31November 16, 2018 3:08 AM

I agree, R31.

by Anonymousreply 32November 16, 2018 3:15 AM

Awful place with bland, overpriced food run by assholes...I can't wait for it to finally go out of business. They even have "rules" their customers must obey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 16, 2018 3:53 AM

I don’t know about downtown, but my husband is very active in neighborhood/community affairs on the UES. He knows many small business owners, and so many are losing their leases because landlords want to sell the empty old six-story buildings to developers. There are so many empty storefronts here now, flanking businesses that are at the tail end of their leases.

It’s a big problem. When I first moved here, I lived in the East Village and there were so many wonderful little shops and restaurants. People could create things and sell them and still afford a shop. My friend’s mom had a weird little boutique with vintage clothing and odds and ends. She paid the rent in cash every month with a very informal lease agreement. Now that would never happen. Making rent is nearly impossible, so everything is some corporate outpost (Olive Garden, Chase Bank, CVS) or vape shop.

It’s fucking sad. So while I don’t have a TON of sympathy, I have a little. Small businesses are getting fucked hard.

by Anonymousreply 34November 16, 2018 3:59 AM

The place is tiny, R33.

by Anonymousreply 35November 16, 2018 4:02 AM

Read the reviews over at Yelp. The owner is a real piece of work:

"Tea and sympathy? More accurately Tea and Hostility"

"Upon not leaving the full tip at the end she proceeded to heckle so rude multiple times at us through the door and told us not to come back.

"Food tastes like something a toddler put together, and the prices are outrageous for what you get. Service was good, but the owner is a class A jerk to her customers."

"Just read everyone else's reviews and realized the owner NICKY is a completely miserable crazy old woman who clearly doesn't know how to run an establishment or staff. What a joke."

"An old lady there had a very bad attitude to treat customers. After we seated and started eating for 30 mins, the waiter came three times and tried to take away the food we were still eating. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 16, 2018 4:03 AM

I've told this story before, but one time I was there with a friend when Sandra Bernhard poked her hear in looking for a table. Chrissie Hynde was with her. Unfortunately, the place was full. Can you imagine eavesdropping on these two?

by Anonymousreply 37November 16, 2018 4:05 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 16, 2018 4:10 AM

[quote]I've told this story before, but one time I was there with a friend when Sandra Bernhard poked her hear in looking for a table. Chrissie Hynde was with her. Unfortunately, the place was full. Can you imagine eavesdropping on these two?

Yes, I can. There was a documentary on British TV just last week about Chrissie and they were hanging out. Not so interesting.

by Anonymousreply 39November 16, 2018 4:11 AM

She was whining four years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 16, 2018 4:14 AM

Another Yelp review. This cow even charges the credit card processing fee? Fucking hell:

This place makes me embarrassed to be British. They peddle lots of British wares - sweets, crisps, tea, etc - at horrendous markups, and then have the nerve to charge a credit card processing fee on top of it. Their credit card processing fee is north of 4%, which is absolutely outrageous. What next, charging us a percentage of their rent?!

And then the customer service is appalling. They're constantly rude, and don't fall for the idea that being rude to customers is "British charm." It's not. Britain itself is nothing like that; if a sweet shop at home treated people like that then people just wouldn't go.

If you're really craving a wispa or some pear drops, do yourself a favor and order them from Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 41November 16, 2018 4:18 AM

[bold]$10,476 of $100,000 goal. Raised by 215 people in 1 day[/bold]

That's amazing. Perhaps she's not as stupid as she looks.

by Anonymousreply 42November 16, 2018 4:18 AM

Yes, I saw it, R39. Agree, it was dull.

by Anonymousreply 43November 16, 2018 4:19 AM

[quote]If you're really craving a wispa or some pear drops, do yourself a favor and order them from Amazon.

Or they can go to Myers Of Keswick - it was there in the 80s when I lived there ...and still going strong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 16, 2018 4:22 AM

Sticky Toffee Pudding in custard. YUM!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 16, 2018 4:26 AM

At least they're generous with the clotted cream. In England I always have to ask for more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 16, 2018 4:28 AM

R41 Or, if you don't do Amazon, order them from the many British shops on the web.

by Anonymousreply 47November 16, 2018 11:36 AM

What kind of Frau would patronize a restaurant that provides a list of rules?

by Anonymousreply 48November 16, 2018 12:17 PM

A gofundme means it's already over. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 49November 16, 2018 1:40 PM

[quote]What kind of Frau would patronize a restaurant that provides a list of rules?

If I was presented with their rules I'd say "Honey, I'm the customer, I make the rules." and I'd follow this with a VERY DL eye-roll (of the major variety).

by Anonymousreply 50November 16, 2018 2:40 PM

[quote]They even have "rules" their customers must obey

One of them, dealing with tipping, states that you may leave more than normal for "the girls" if you wish. THE GIRLS? In my experience, only the shittiest of assholes use that expression.

Anyway, after reading the comments here, I looked up Yelp reviews. So far, one of the best (and by best, I mean bitchy) says that "Tea and Snark" would be a better name for the place. HA!

by Anonymousreply 51November 16, 2018 4:35 PM

Seems to rules list has been in place to help insure is their viability. Its not working!

by Anonymousreply 52November 16, 2018 4:40 PM

[quote]Anyway, after reading the comments here, I looked up Yelp reviews. So far, one of the best (and by best, I mean bitchy) says that "Tea and Snark" would be a better name for the place. HA!

You looked up the negative reviews.

[bold]$12,355 of $100,000 goal Raised by 257 people in 2 days[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 53November 16, 2018 4:46 PM

Mushy peas and soggy bottoms.

by Anonymousreply 54November 16, 2018 4:53 PM

If I were asking customers for money, I would also let them know how I financially restructured my business so that this would be a one-time financial crisis. The scones and clotted cream in R46 do look good and I would enjoy eating something like that. The rules for customers in R33 look questionable, but I also understand the staff probably deal with campers and non-tipping tourists. Like R51, I was surprised to see the owners refer to their wait staff as "girls." Are they hiring children there? Geez.

by Anonymousreply 55November 16, 2018 5:56 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong in saying girls. It's an English thing - we even call old ladies girls.

by Anonymousreply 56November 16, 2018 7:23 PM

Their sticky toffee pudding is to die for. And if I recall, their chicken pot pie was also delicious.

It is a tiny, tiny place and they're very rude about tables and seating. It's best used as a place for takeout.

That said, I'd never donate a dime to them.

by Anonymousreply 57November 16, 2018 7:39 PM

I'd read about this business something like 15 years ago in a British magazine. The article made it sound like it was catering to ex-pats who couldn't find British food in NYC.

Just had a look at the menu and it's embarrassing. It's like it's been put through Google Translate. You can choose from Cumberland Sausage or Bangers. This doesn't make any sense at all. A banger is a slang word for a sausage, it's not a type of sausage at all.

I don't think Bangers, Mash and Gravy has ever been ordered for breakfast outside of maybe a fever dream. No wonder they're having problems.

by Anonymousreply 58November 16, 2018 7:40 PM

wow! The money's going up and up.

4 hrs ago -$12,355 of $100,000 goal Raised by 257 people in 2 days

NOW - $14,340 of $100,000 goal -Raised by 283 people in 2 days

by Anonymousreply 59November 16, 2018 8:53 PM

R58 I make a distinction between Cumberlands and bangers. A Cumberland can come in a coil or a link and tends to feature better cuts of meat. A banger is a bog standard sausage. Not sure if they're making that distinction though. Agree about the breakfast. Also $20 for a fry-up! You can get eggs your way, mushroom and beans included, and a cup of tea for £5 at most cafes in the UK, even around London.

by Anonymousreply 60November 16, 2018 8:56 PM

If you are a chef and want to start a business and can't afford a larger space it is probably better to not have a restaurant and have a pastry or take-out shop. I like to take my time eating and I don't like being rushed to shovel it down so the next chump can have my space.

by Anonymousreply 61November 16, 2018 9:11 PM

R60 I understand the distinction they're trying to make between a Cumberland and a Banger but it's nonsensical. No-one has ever been asked which variety of sausage they'd like and replied 'Banger'. It isn't a type of sausage, it's a slang word for sausage (which is only ever used in the case of 'Bangers and Mash' - one would never speak of a banger, singular). One would also never ask for a banger in a restaurant or shop. The word just isn't in common usage.

by Anonymousreply 62November 16, 2018 9:20 PM

I've never been but I've been to Myers of Keyswick. But that was about 20 years ago when UK food was hard to find like Heinz's baked beans made with tomato sauce (green can). the digestive biscuits, teas etc.

But most supermarkets in Manhattan sell them now. Morton Williams does. They have international section. No need to go to these places esp their manners are so lacking.

FUCK THE ENGLISH CUNTS! fuck your stupid queen!

Sandra Bernhard used to own an apt across the street from Tea and Sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 63November 16, 2018 9:52 PM

it's not gonna last. it will run out.

by Anonymousreply 64November 16, 2018 9:52 PM

[quote]FUCK THE ENGLISH CUNTS! fuck your stupid queen!

This is not necessary. Please. This is not 17 fucking 76 - grow the fuck up!

by Anonymousreply 65November 16, 2018 10:43 PM

They should move their business to Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 66November 16, 2018 10:48 PM

I am grown up, thank you R65, but it seems that the owners think they are fucking English and therefore better than anyone. I know so many of these types in NYC. They act all high and mighty... can't stand them and they praise their fucking Queen all day long and put down the USA yet they still stay in USA. Why don't they fuck off to their Great Britain?

It's probably a scam. They will let their lease run out and they fuck off back to UK with the "Donations", aka their retirement fund.

by Anonymousreply 67November 16, 2018 10:53 PM

R67 Angry Irish Republican please chill. They might be cunts but Queen Liz is not . She might be a Reptilian but she is the sweetest one around.

by Anonymousreply 68November 16, 2018 11:05 PM

[quote]We have stood by and watched all of the local businesses who made the West Village what it is today lose to landlords and buyouts and profit losses. We are trying so hard not to be added to that list.

This is really what this is about - as in why people are sending money.

by Anonymousreply 69November 16, 2018 11:33 PM

[bold]$14,340 > $16,600[/bold]

in the last 3 hrs.

by Anonymousreply 70November 16, 2018 11:35 PM

It's getting a shed load of publicity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 16, 2018 11:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 16, 2018 11:40 PM

There is no way they can sustain this, how long will they last? They are gonna take the money, leave and go back to Europe. Don't be a fool.

by Anonymousreply 73November 16, 2018 11:44 PM

[quote]They are gonna take the money, leave and go back to Europe. Don't be a fool.

You didn't read their gofundme page properly >

[quote] There are no words to describe how much we love this community.

by Anonymousreply 74November 16, 2018 11:47 PM

Of course, that's what they will say. What they will do is another matter. You people are so fucking naive.

by Anonymousreply 75November 16, 2018 11:48 PM

If they can't even function right now as a biz, do you really think they will be able to turn things around in the future? It's not like they had a fire or some unfortunate incident. They will close sooner or later, this is just a money grab.

For example, St. Marks Place Bookstore (i think that's the name). beloved bookshop but can't make rent and people donated money, paid rent but eventually still had to close, even moved to another location (i think?) NO BUSINESS!

They won't make it. Esp with that cunt's brilliant manners as pointed out by many yelp reviews.

by Anonymousreply 76November 16, 2018 11:52 PM

Even tho' Britain is not known as a culinary paradise, Tea and Sympathy would struggle in any British high street, the food is extremely basic and the atmosphere pitching cozy cafe against snappy turnover is antagonistic to the proposed effect. I think it has lasted this long on the goodwill of anglophiles not overly familiar with the reality. Certainly if they tried to charge their prices in the UK they would be out of business , it wouldn't be so much Gofundme as Gofuckoff.

by Anonymousreply 77November 17, 2018 12:05 AM

R67 R73 Yeah I think this is the end game with their GoFundMe (taking the money and going back to Britain). This is another scam in the making.

by Anonymousreply 78November 17, 2018 12:11 AM

[quote]Even tho' Britain is not known as a culinary paradise

Apart from the Cheeseburgers and the pancakes, neither is America.

by Anonymousreply 79November 17, 2018 12:16 AM

Is this the only cafe/restaurant in New York where you can get British comfort food? Extraordinary.

by Anonymousreply 80November 17, 2018 12:51 AM

And it's not comforting R80

by Anonymousreply 81November 17, 2018 12:53 AM

12 months from now it'll be a Chase ATM.

And I for one will rejoice.

by Anonymousreply 82November 17, 2018 1:02 AM

In the late 90s, I was going through my Anglophile phase and I went here a lot. Rupert Everett used to eat here a lot also. (I think it was pre-face transplant). If anyone tried to talk to him, he would swear at them and tell them to fuck off. It was the funniest thing to see! He would do his best to try and not be noticed. I felt like saying, "Rupe, this is a huge tourist place. Why are you here?" Until Alice's Teacup opened on the Upper West Side, all the fraus brought their daughters here because they thought it was piss elegant.

by Anonymousreply 83November 17, 2018 1:05 AM

1:15 — "We try to be friendly whenever possible, although my wife flies in the face of that sometimes."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84November 17, 2018 1:13 AM

Have they become US citizens?

by Anonymousreply 85November 17, 2018 1:15 AM

[quote]What kind of Frau would patronize a restaurant that provides a list of rules?

Not fraus, these dumps are now mostly frequented by transplants and tourists who 'must' visit downtown NYC nutty places such as the VILE Shopsin's.

Years ago, I saw a documentary about the filthy disgusting Shopsin's 'restaurant'.. The owner, well, now the late owner, was verbally abusive to all his customers. Like this dump, there are rules, which are absurd. If you ask for a food suggestion they scream at you to "GET THWE FUCK OOUUTTT!" They do not seat more than four people, if you are say 6 or 8, you cannot split up your party. Read the Yelp reviews, your head will explode. Who willing pays for such insanity?

The late Shopsin's owner/cook and his inbred family literally look like troll, they all looked dirty, were obese and just appalling. The owner was always in filthy apron. The fact that you are paying exorbitant prices for his disgusting food (and likely more than a few roaches, people have also seen rats in his dump) was the icing on the cake. The kitchen is filthy and the food is greasy and grossly overpriced. Their rules are much worse than this dump. You are basically paying to be abused.

That Shopsin's dump is a masochist's dream! All these crazy places have nothing to do with have a "New York " or "British" experience. They seem to be run by sociopaths!

Shopsin's and this Tea & Sympathy dump make the Soup Nazi seem sweet & cuddly! They're nothing but tourist traps. Hope both these places go out of business.

What I'd like to know, exactly how do filthy eateries which also abuse their customers manage to stay in business, aren't they being reported?

by Anonymousreply 86November 17, 2018 1:33 AM

I have to say that their other restaurant a few doors down, A Salt & Battery, which is a takeout fish and chip shop, is good. But when will Brits ever learn that fried potatoes are not supposed to look like the scrapings from the bottom of the Ore Ida bag.

by Anonymousreply 87November 17, 2018 1:35 AM

No, he said he's British and Irish.

by Anonymousreply 88November 17, 2018 1:39 AM

I remember reading that they wanted to turn Greenwich Ave into a Little England.

by Anonymousreply 89November 17, 2018 1:42 AM

They seem like a poor, somewhat reasonable facsimile thereof. I'm not giving them a pass just because I'm a British expat. If she wasn't mean, eased back a bit on the silly rules and snark I'd have more sympathy. The name of the joynt is more than a bit ironic, don't you think? I simply don't have time for rude people who are in the business of service, and I can make my own damned scones.

by Anonymousreply 90November 17, 2018 1:43 AM

Perhaps the pig faced female owner of this T&S dump can open a new restaurant with the surviving Shopsin family trolls, simply call their new venue ABUSE.

Dining should be a calm appealing experience and, if you're not going to your local dinner, a chain restaurant or a McDonald's, the food should be special. Who would knowingly wants to go to a place where verbal abuse and absurd 'rules' are always part of the experience? Plus, a surcharge when you use a credit card. Fuck this witch.

The cafes, pubs and small restaurants I frequented when I lived in England, were run by nice decent people, seems this woman is giving the Brits a bad name! She seems more than a bit off.

by Anonymousreply 91November 17, 2018 1:46 AM

The louts need to get up earlier and perhaps work a bit harder, and then just maybe they'd make a go of it. Whoever heard of opening up at 11:30 during the week in NYC? I bet they'd do a bang up job in take-away business with teas and coffees and the like.... IN THE FUCKING MORNING! Hello, commuters... people who work for a living.

by Anonymousreply 92November 17, 2018 1:54 AM

In defense of Shopsin, he was old school West Village. When the neighborhood started to gentrify and all those fucking yuppies started invading, he lost his shit.

by Anonymousreply 93November 17, 2018 1:58 AM

You're fucking right, R92 - they should do breakfast, those are not New York hours.

I think the husband is sexy. Great eyes.

by Anonymousreply 94November 17, 2018 2:00 AM

They've lasted almost 30 years, they must have been doing something right.

by Anonymousreply 95November 17, 2018 2:02 AM

He does have dreamy eyes, those Irish eyes sparkle R94. They're still probably not dreamy enough to make up for his shrew of a wife and shoddy business practises.

by Anonymousreply 96November 17, 2018 2:03 AM

R95 The chip shoppe more than likely subsidised them, that or their market.

by Anonymousreply 97November 17, 2018 2:13 AM

[quote]In defense of Shopsin, he was old school West Village. When the neighborhood started to gentrify and all those fucking yuppies started invading, he lost his shit.

Don't defend this guy, as a native New Yorker, whose has family still living in the area, he's always been insane. Have you seen the documentary? Besides, who wants to eat a meal prepared by someone as filthy looking as that slob? What's also insulting, it's obvious the 'regulars' are treated better than tourists and anyone else who just wants to try out that dump. Now it's not even an actual restaurant it's part of a market stall set-up.

Once Shopsin's wife died he really went off the deep end, she tried to keep him in line. How anyone can defend this dude's 'business model' is beyond me. From the reviews, it appears his crazy children are continuing in their late father's rude abrasive manner towards patrons.

Perhaps if you are a masochist what doesn't mind eating greasy gross overpriced food, this place is for you. Passing that dump off as a "New York experience" is insulting to native New Yorkers and normal people who run mom & pop eating establishments.

by Anonymousreply 98November 17, 2018 3:22 AM

The owner is a cow. Her partner used to be fit.

by Anonymousreply 99November 17, 2018 3:25 AM

The owner looks like she should be running the cafe on "Eastenders'! What a mess.

by Anonymousreply 100November 17, 2018 4:51 AM

All the unique elements of the Village are passing. That being said I used to refer to the owner as "that mean Cockney woman."

by Anonymousreply 101November 17, 2018 5:21 AM

That fish and chips shop was probably carrying them. No way that market is making money, all the supermarkets sell the English snacks and biscuits, jams, beans and tea now. That tea shop is very, very small, that's why that reviewer said the waiter came by to clear their food even though they were still eating, they want you to get the fuck out so they can serve more customers and make more money.

by Anonymousreply 102November 17, 2018 5:32 AM

Why do people donate to something like this when they could actually help a charity or something worthwhile. This is disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 103November 17, 2018 5:42 AM

I would say it's a dumb idea, because if the business is going under, there is a reason for it. In all probability it's a faulty business plan. Without correcting the fault, giving them money, means they'll just wind up in the same place in a matter of time.

by Anonymousreply 104November 17, 2018 6:34 AM

It is a for profit business. This is wrong on so many levels.

by Anonymousreply 105November 17, 2018 8:54 AM

As someone said, it's all about rising rents and the destruction of unique beloved businesses. In that immediate block in the last few years we lost the last real diner (relaced by a Kale place), a burrito joint (I think a Starbucks replaced it), a vitamim store, a small Japanese restaurant,.and probably other shops. People are responding because they hate the transformation of NYC into something souless. Christopher Streets (blocks away) has many closed businesses. The diner (admittedly smelly and disgusting) on Hudson near Christopher Street closed. Disgusting but cheap and homey for an omelette or a bowl of great chilli. These things mattered to people who lived there, worked there, or as gays hung out there. Now it's tourists, very wealthy people or emplty apartments owned by foreign owners who don't live in them.

by Anonymousreply 106November 17, 2018 10:36 AM

[quote]The owner looks like she should be running the cafe on "Eastenders'! What a mess.

I must say I was surprised when I heard their accents. They're very cockney. Not something I would have associated with "The English In New York".

by Anonymousreply 107November 17, 2018 11:02 AM

[quote]The owner looks like she should be running the cafe on "Eastenders'! What a mess.

"Look who popped in, it's Declan Bennett from EastEnders!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108November 17, 2018 11:15 AM

Rupert - 2005

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109November 17, 2018 11:17 AM

Bowie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110November 17, 2018 11:18 AM

They have three shops? If the tea shop's not making it, close it and stick with what the neighborhood is actually supporting, the fish and chip shop (or whatever it is). It doesn't seem that complex.

by Anonymousreply 111November 17, 2018 11:28 AM

Here's what I don't get about the economics of this city. You have a tea shop which is no longer turning a profit, the customers are still coming but something is not working. It's a small space and they are still getting lots of customers, but also you can't charge $20 for a pot of tea. So possibly they are being priced out because they serve a niche food item which is difficult to get (ie clotted cream and other British foods)?

However, nail salons are multiplying rapidly throughout the city and pushing out more lucrative businesses. For example, the pizza place on the corner of Christopher and Hudson Street (it did move across the street to a smaller space). But it seems there is more customer potential for a pizza place but a more limited client base for a nail salon. So how is it that nail salons are thriving and other businesses aren't?

by Anonymousreply 112November 17, 2018 11:58 AM

R112, maybe it's a front for money laundering?

by Anonymousreply 113November 17, 2018 1:30 PM

Maybe they're bloody Travellers who have settled!

by Anonymousreply 114November 17, 2018 1:42 PM

Owner looks like on of those UK TERFs.

by Anonymousreply 115November 17, 2018 1:44 PM

Ha! R115. Something the cat wouldn't bother dragging in. She's like a Tracey Ullmann caricature.

by Anonymousreply 116November 17, 2018 1:47 PM

R113 MANY foreign owned businesses are created for money laundering purposes. Stores that remain open for several years yet never seem to have any customers plus the items on the shelves and racks never changes

by Anonymousreply 117November 17, 2018 1:54 PM

The money keeps going up:-

[bold]$17,840 of $100,000 goal Raised by 314 people in 2 days[/bold]

But this is not the same as the West 40s one. No deadline and I wonder if they can take whatever they get even without reaching the $100,000. Anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 118November 17, 2018 1:57 PM

[quote]$17,840 of $100,000 goal Raised by 314 people in 2 days

Suck it, Mark Sam!

by Anonymousreply 119November 17, 2018 2:00 PM

Do they have to pay taxes on a GoFundMe?

by Anonymousreply 120November 17, 2018 2:14 PM

Ok, now I remember a scamming thing they did. There is no tax on tea in the US. They tried to tax me on tea! When I objected, they then charged extra for the "decorative tin" it came in. Beware perfidious Albion!

by Anonymousreply 121November 17, 2018 2:20 PM

[QUOTE]Who would knowingly wants to go to a place where verbal abuse and absurd 'rules' are always part of the experience?

You'd be surprised.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122November 17, 2018 2:29 PM

It's income, of course they have to pay taxes on it.

by Anonymousreply 123November 17, 2018 2:30 PM

I wonder if they're paying any tax back to the Crown....Curious if they own property back home. If they pay more to HM Revenue & Customs, no further tax may be levied on them here stateside, other than sales tax, and business licencing fees.

by Anonymousreply 124November 17, 2018 2:31 PM

Conversely, if they pay more stateside, they only owe "topping-off" tax.

by Anonymousreply 125November 17, 2018 2:32 PM

[quote]It's income, of course they have to pay taxes on it.

I hope they took that into consideration. Aren't they going to get hit with a huge tax bill if they get the full $100,000?

by Anonymousreply 126November 17, 2018 2:47 PM

R126 There is a very favourable US/UK tax treaty to avoid double taxation for the nearly 1.5 M Brit expats here, so hard to speculate what, if anything they would owe the US Treasury/IRS. They certainly would more than likely owe the great state of NY though. Hard to figure without knowing there Dom/Non-Dom status.

by Anonymousreply 127November 17, 2018 3:01 PM

^ their

by Anonymousreply 128November 17, 2018 3:03 PM

Also I wonder if they are naturalized US citizens? They have been here for decades. If they are indeed US citizens, then they have to report foreign bank accounts to IRS. Manafort was found guilty for this federal crime.

by Anonymousreply 129November 17, 2018 3:05 PM

R129 It is very difficult to qualify for Non-Domiciled status as a British subject. There exists no clear hard rules. It is normally decided by the courts upon death and inheritance for tax purposes, so the immediate tax burden is almost always paid to HM Revenue & Customs. Even if one purchases a home elsewhere, it does not immediately grant one such status. They probably are not citizens, especially if they don't own their business properties.

by Anonymousreply 130November 17, 2018 3:09 PM

West Village on fire!

by Anonymousreply 131November 17, 2018 3:10 PM

The store is just too small, they should move to a bigger space in the same neighborhood. It's so crammed in there, how can anyone have relaxing time there?

They used to be the only English tea type place, now there is Alice's Tea Cup and Alice Tea Cup Chapter 2, both uptown and on west and east side. The one on the east side is in a 2 story town house. You can have birthday parties etc.

These people obviously are clueless business wise, I would not waste my money on them. The world has changed, the scene has changed, you need to adapt or you will get left behind.

They should close up the Myers market and just have the tea shop and chip shop.

by Anonymousreply 132November 17, 2018 3:17 PM

Either way R129, I suspect they're grifting. Shameful they're begging for hand-outs, especially without a change of business plan or hours of operation. If the money were raised under the guise of a new business scheme, like catering tea parties, or say box lunches of tea sandwiches, I'd respect them a bit more.

by Anonymousreply 133November 17, 2018 3:18 PM

Ms. Perry, a native of Blackheath, England, owns Tea & Sympathy, a tea shop and restaurant; Carry On Tea & Sympathy, a British goods store; and A Salt & Battery, a fish and chips restaurant, all in Greenwich Village.

I thought she also owned the Myers of keyswick store, my mistake but she does own a British goods store which they should get rid of.

by Anonymousreply 134November 17, 2018 3:35 PM

As R132 has suggested, one larger tea emporium is the smart answer or solution, coupled with normal American business hours suitable to NYC.

by Anonymousreply 135November 17, 2018 3:53 PM

Yes. With all the empty shopfronts in NYC, they need to move and make some real changes. This place sounds too small to be viable.

And how they can ask for money and offer NOTHING in return shows what tacky cunts they are.

by Anonymousreply 136November 17, 2018 4:02 PM

Indeed R136. I'm embarrassed for them. Cockney cunts, and quite possibly grifter-Travellers background. They both certainly do not appear to be the lace curtain Irish.

by Anonymousreply 137November 17, 2018 4:07 PM

I wonder if the donations will cool off after the initial rush.

One thing I do know, is that many of us will be watching.

by Anonymousreply 138November 17, 2018 4:07 PM

The people suggesting that they get a bigger place seem to forget the fact that for a 215 square feet space in the west village the rent is around 12k a month.

by Anonymousreply 139November 17, 2018 4:07 PM

Well then they need to move to Brooklyn, like everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 140November 17, 2018 4:09 PM

R139 Better to have one large establishment capable of the necessary volume, and allowing patrons to linger comfortably, rather than two small failing locations.

by Anonymousreply 141November 17, 2018 4:10 PM

R141 says the truth.

by Anonymousreply 142November 17, 2018 4:12 PM

[quote]The store is just too small, they should move to a bigger space in the same neighborhood. It's so crammed in there, how can anyone have relaxing time there?

If they cannot afford the current rent, exactly how can they afford a larger space? What am I missing?

All those storefronts in the Village are empty for a reason. A friend has lived on Mulberry since the late 1970s, the local bodega which everyone in the neighborhood depended on for everyday staples, was forced to close because the rent went up to something outrageous like $40,000 a month!

Unless this British woman gets a larger space, then simply puts all three of her businesses in that space, how can she afford a larger space for Tea and Sympathy?

by Anonymousreply 143November 17, 2018 4:12 PM

She needs to put them all together and negotiate a good deal somewhere. Last I heard is that half of Bleeker is empty.

by Anonymousreply 144November 17, 2018 4:15 PM

The female owner really can be vile, just a horror.

by Anonymousreply 145November 17, 2018 4:17 PM

She has to move to a cheaper location close by or since this is a "beloved" shop, then hopefully a local politician can step in to negotiate a reasonable rent for her.

She supported Mayor De Blasio, she should ask him for help. She called Christine Quinn a whore, in front of him, while he looked like he wanted to be elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 146November 17, 2018 4:18 PM

Sorry, it was the other owner, Sean who called Quinn a whore.

by Anonymousreply 147November 17, 2018 4:20 PM

R143 WADR you seem to missing a business minded brain. There are only so many ways to increase revenue and profits. Markup can only work so far with this sort of fare, so volume is the answer. It also may ameliorate their turning tables too quickly and giving people the bums rush. One larger "Tea Emporium" could also allow room for a careing operation, and a banquet room for private parties, like their sole competitor has. The retail aspect of their operation could be housed there as well, eliminating the third storefront location.

by Anonymousreply 148November 17, 2018 4:24 PM

^ catering operation

by Anonymousreply 149November 17, 2018 4:26 PM

Nicky Perry grew up in southeast London but couldn’t wait to get to New York.

“I was madly in love with Mark Bolen [of the rock group T.Rex] and I used to read about him constantly being in New York,” she said. “So from the age of 14, I became obsessed with reading about things like Max’s Kansas City and C.B.G.B., and the whole New York wonderful-exciting-24-hours-anything-goes thing. And for my 21st birthday my mother brought me here for a week’s holiday. I came back from that week’s holiday and eight months later I returned to New York and I never left.”

When Perry first came to New York she lived with a member of the British rock band Squeeze, which meant she had people to show her around and take her to parties. However, her fascination with rock stars and pop music was almost in direct rebellion to the classical music she grew up with.

“I had a classical music background and was not really allowed to listen to pop music,” she recalled. “So what did I do? At 16 I started going out with pop stars.”

Although Perry doesn’t play music herself, her father, Simon Perry — who died 3 years ago — had a classical record label in London, Hyperion Records, that’s often been called the most successful small record label in the world. He recorded songs originally written by an 11th-century nun, as well as other obscure music that had never before been recorded.

“He was a very passionate man and it was all about what he loved and what he knew,” she said. “And he was in love with what he did. Money wasn’t important. I’m very similar to that.”

Although most Americans assume that the English know everything there is to ever know about tea, Perry says that while growing up, tea was something she took completely for granted. The first job she ever had was as the “tea lady” at the Stock Exchange in London — one of those charming English customs that Americans find so civilized.

“In England at all the big offices there is a lady, usually elderly, who goes around with a cart at 11 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon handing out cups of tea and chocolate biscuits. Can you image that happening here?” she said wide eyed. “Most of the ladies were wearing polyester uniforms, and I’m wearing skintight jeans rolled up to my knee and big platform boots and tons of makeup and all this wild hair. And all these stockbrokers thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.”

In New York, Perry continued working as a waitress — at first as an illegal alien — and worked in every area of the city.

“After I’d been here for about a year I was out with some friends — from the B-52’s actually — and one of them said, ‘Don’t you think it’s interesting that there is no English restaurant here and there is nowhere to get a cup of tea AT ALL?’ It was then that the light bulb went off and I became obsessed with the idea of opening an English tea shop.”

Her father gave Perry a gift of a down payment to open the restaurant. At first there was a partner but “it was an utter disaster,” she said. “He was the opposite of me and kept the purse strings tight.” Four years later she made a deal to buy out the partner, and nearly all the money she made for the next several years went to paying him off.

“But it didn’t matter because this is mine,” she said. “My husband is now my partner.”

Starting a small business was tough and when Perry first began there was not enough ready cash to buy her food in bulk from the wholesalers. So she would go over to Balducci’s market a few blocks away and buy groceries for the restaurant with her American Express card, bring them back herself to the restaurant and then cook them up. Now she gets her tea from England through a Massachusetts wholesaler.

Perry still keeps a connection with England by occasionally reading the British newspapers. But she is also very passionate about American politics, and several years ago became an American citizen. As one would imagine, her politics, like her personality, are far from conservative, and she cares deeply about what happens here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150November 17, 2018 4:32 PM

Great post and she does have an illustrious background R150. I still object to her "go-fund-me" and poor business sense. Get a damned proper business manager with an MBA if you cannot read the writing on the wall and change with the times.

by Anonymousreply 151November 17, 2018 4:42 PM

Plus now (since 2015) they can't even import English choc, Cadbury, due to legal action from Hershey's in USA. They should just get rid of the british goods store.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152November 17, 2018 4:49 PM

Went there years ago and Naomi Campbell was there. Tiny place and all the rules turned me off. Never went back.

by Anonymousreply 153November 17, 2018 4:52 PM

R152 I'm not quite sure how these laws work anymore, but recently purchased at Cost Plus World Market in Chicago Cadbury's Drinking Chocolate.... Still a British product, and proudly carrying the Royal Warrant. Just double checked the label and it is clearly marked Bournville, Birmingham. If I can get it, why can't she? Do I have contraband Cadbury's? I can buy real Cadbury's candy bars made with British milk at Jewel Food Stores, certain locations have a British foods aisle.

by Anonymousreply 154November 17, 2018 5:07 PM

One can buy real Cadbury products on Amazon too. (I just checked). VF article is from 2015, so apparently Hershey has relented.

by Anonymousreply 155November 17, 2018 5:26 PM

Those Hershey gurls sound awful and their chocolate is SHIT compared to Cadbury's.

by Anonymousreply 156November 17, 2018 5:32 PM

Hershey products are pretty vile and either waxy or chalky. They all have a strange scent to them. Some products are less offensive than others, but never on par with Cadbury's.

by Anonymousreply 157November 17, 2018 5:37 PM

The first ingredient in cadbury's choc is Milk while the one made by Hershey's is Sugar. I forget which choc item this was but it was mentioned in one of the articles I read. The American version has longer shelf life.

by Anonymousreply 158November 17, 2018 5:38 PM

I am not sure but one of my UK friends say even twix taste better in Europe. He's gonna bring me back some this xmas so I will have a sample taste.

by Anonymousreply 159November 17, 2018 5:39 PM

OMG, DL fave, Joanna Lumley

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160November 17, 2018 5:42 PM

[quote]I am not sure but one of my UK friends say even twix taste better in Europe

Do you mean English friends?

by Anonymousreply 161November 17, 2018 5:43 PM

The shop looks beautifully presented. They have style.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162November 17, 2018 5:45 PM

She should get a plug on a major tv show. Just a few blocks away, Magnolia Bakery is selling their dry-ass cupcakes and there are lines out the door. Thanks Sex & The City.

by Anonymousreply 163November 17, 2018 5:51 PM

She hasn't even made a telethon.

by Anonymousreply 164November 17, 2018 5:56 PM

yes, she'll need to promote it more or this thing will just tail off - in spite of our best efforts here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 165November 17, 2018 5:58 PM

I'd suck his dick.

by Anonymousreply 166November 17, 2018 6:17 PM

R166 She'd throw a steaming kettle on you mate! Then you'd end up in a cornish pastie a' la Sweeney Todd.

by Anonymousreply 167November 17, 2018 6:29 PM

style icon (j.crew)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168November 17, 2018 6:37 PM

He has sexy eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169November 17, 2018 6:39 PM

R169 Right. We've already established that.

by Anonymousreply 170November 17, 2018 7:27 PM

I didn't know "we" had.

by Anonymousreply 171November 17, 2018 7:50 PM

I've been there a few times. It's everything that's bad about British food and nothing that's good -- it's like going to a bad English bodega. And yet weirdly pretentious. Nothing wrong with it's going away.

by Anonymousreply 172November 17, 2018 7:55 PM

R171 Sorry mate, just fucking with you. Another poster and I had already commented upthread about his eyes already, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 173November 17, 2018 8:03 PM

A, it is hardly a "fancy cafe". It is a small sfore-front on Greenwih Avenue, NYC. You can't get 28 people in it. It i bare more than not. B, like 'em as I do, I still think if it was a successful business and made money, they wouldn't be asking the public for money. C, this is just unsettling to me. If they get out of debt by subscription, what happens when they get in debt again? D, they've been here 28 years growing, have the two smaller side businesses and space. There's the tea room, a "store" peddling British tinned goods, packages, stuff, Carry On Tea & Sympathy, and A Salt & Battery, for fish and chips. If they made money they'd not be begging, BUT $28,000 monthly or the three spaces? Do they really need a retail bay or one for fish 'n chips? E, Over the years they got full of themselves, thinking the cheeky "Rules" are clever. ]No, they're not. The place is a fuckin' tearoom, not a "lifestyle. F, Nikki is not a "star"no matter her attempts, she's gone over believing past publicity. He isn't much better; so their asking for handouts is not surprising. G, this "British comfort food" thing is nonsense. It is only food, it's cooking … many NYC real restaurants serve the same food, only better. Their "tea service" feels like any bad Greek Formica-table tea-room near Paddington Station. That silly "portrait" does not give the room atmosphere. Any most any market carries British product now. And yes, $6+ for Mr, Kipling's Bakewell Tarts is a bit much. H, Greenwich Avenue isn't "English" in feeling, they are just street-level stores there. I, so the landlord is greedy. Sees what looks a long-standing successful business, wants more rent. No, in the middle o the block he doesn't want vacancies to use as a footprint to build a high-rise. J, it's best T&S closes, a high-priced handbag store will move in, fail,a high-priced shoe store will move in, fail, then an art gallery will fail, then with all the plumbing till in, another will try some sort of take-out shop or restaurant. They'll not be so full of themselves, will be nicer to customers, may prosper. K, if they have such a wonderful following, are so unique in their operation, then move … find cheaper space … people will come.

by Anonymousreply 174November 17, 2018 9:00 PM

They hire cheeky English lads to work the shoppe. One mooned me.

by Anonymousreply 175November 18, 2018 12:23 AM

Just 3 days

[bold]$19,447 of $100,000 goal[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 176November 18, 2018 3:22 PM

they own an apt in chelsea.

by Anonymousreply 177November 18, 2018 3:24 PM

I've never eaten in Tea in Sympathy but their fish shop, Assault and Battery is good. And their little shop (all three are next to each other) is very cute. Plus if you buy a "pud" for Christmas they will whip up some brandy butter for you in the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 178November 18, 2018 3:39 PM

Many nail salons are prostitution fronts.

by Anonymousreply 179November 18, 2018 6:04 PM

Fancy schmancy.

by Anonymousreply 180November 18, 2018 6:21 PM

Only a flyover frau could possibly think that grocery with a few tables was "fancy".

by Anonymousreply 181November 18, 2018 6:38 PM

Nikki is a nut case. Hyacinth has nothing on her. Tried a have the block on Greenwich Avenue with her three stores adopt the name "Brit Way." Neighboring store owners avoid her. Instead of her shop, anyone looking for British food should go to Meyers of Keswick on Hudson just south of Horatio.

by Anonymousreply 182November 18, 2018 6:52 PM

OK - let's sort out this fancy business once and for all.

in ENGLAND - FANCY doesn't mean the same as in the USA. Fancy can mean ORNATE. Frilly (do you know what frilly means?)

Do you use the expression "Fancy Dress" over there?

by Anonymousreply 183November 18, 2018 7:28 PM

[quote]Neighboring store owners avoid her.

Weren't they all evicted long ago?

by Anonymousreply 184November 18, 2018 7:29 PM

I've never been to their eat in stores, but I have been to Carry On Tea & Sympathy numerous times, mostly to buy gifts for others, it is especially good for buying Christmas gifts for my staff at work.

by Anonymousreply 185November 18, 2018 8:32 PM

& hostess gifts.

by Anonymousreply 186November 18, 2018 8:33 PM

[quote] it is especially good for buying Christmas gifts for my staff at work.

I'm sure your staff loves getting tat from a faux-British store.

by Anonymousreply 187November 18, 2018 8:35 PM

R187 They are secondary gifts to go along with the bigger gift.

by Anonymousreply 188November 18, 2018 8:42 PM

I keep checking the money. It's hit $20,000

by Anonymousreply 189November 18, 2018 9:40 PM

[quote]WADR you seem to missing a business minded brain. There are only so many ways to increase revenue and profits. Markup can only work so far with this sort of fare, so volume is the answer. It also may ameliorate their turning tables too quickly and giving people the bums rush. One larger "Tea Emporium" could also allow room for a careing operation, and a banquet room for private parties, like their sole competitor has. The retail aspect of their operation could be housed there as well, eliminating the third storefront location.

That was my point, you bloody moron. You don't need a "business minded brain" to figure out simple math! You also seem to have reading comprehension problems, this is what I posted: "Unless this British woman gets a larger space, then simply puts all three of her businesses in that space, how can she afford a larger space for Tea and Sympathy?"

I never talked about markups, profits etc. My post was solely about a possible prohibitive the cost of renting a larger space for the ONE failing shop. Read and comprehend before posting your bitter invectives.

Since we have no idea how low the other rents are on her two other establishments, why would renting out a larger space to incorporate all three, shops financially work for her. I had posted a small LES bodega's rent went up to $40,000 a month. Can you imagine how money much a larger space would cost this couple?!

Are you a New Yorker? Do you have any idea how high rents are in NYC and not just for stores?

I was reading an article in the NY Times, a single working woman with a baby was paying $5000 a month for an apartment rent, she said some of her neighbors were paying "double that", $10,000. This is for an apartment in a not so desirable or trendy part of NYC! If anyone is crazy enough to pay that much for an apartment, they're nuts. This woman also stated she was struggling a bit with her rent. $5000 in rent is more than a mortgage on a new condo in Bklyn or Queens.

It's also absurd when you read what some wealthy celebs are paying in their rent controlled and rent stabilized apartments! Years ago, I read an article about Cyndi Lauper paying $650 a month at the Apthorp! Her apartment was hardly small, it sure wasn't a studio. It was a fairly large pre-war. The joke was, Cyndi was complaining the man she was subletting from was overcharging her! She needed to STFU.

by Anonymousreply 190November 19, 2018 1:25 AM

R190 Well to clarify, if one only pays for one space, and gets rid of the three others, that explains how one can afford a larger one. Furthermore, you did indeed ask what you were missing in R143.... I merely answered. You had asked us to help you out! I also added "With all due respect". Bloody morons usually don't do maths for you and offer kind openers. I'm British BTW, and lived in NYC from 1994-1998. People can also qualify for small business loans, especially when one is consolidating businesses, and especially when they are women-owned businesses. By having a new business plan, it is quite possible a lender would qualify her for that, rather than same place and plan with rental increase.

by Anonymousreply 191November 19, 2018 1:53 AM

^ also a former small business owner, and previous manager for others.

by Anonymousreply 192November 19, 2018 1:56 AM

I'm sort of a neighbor too, R174, on 10th Street. T&S is on Greenwich, close enough. Since 1987 I've walked back/forth to 2 Horatio so go by T&S all the time since it went in. At first it was just the little tearoom. Ok, "a touch of Britain" somewhat cheesy and then it grew. The last decade, after enough publicity they've come to believe some of the rapturous praise. Forgetting writers are often paid by the word, a shop dismissed doesn't pay as well as one highly praised. Well you know what I mean. Worse, in time they started being too clever for words, those stupid "rules," although they did amuse a few, Beware when you start to believe your publicity. I don't think people like them as much as they think. Very cheeky of them to go public and ask for money. If they ran the business properly all this nonsense wouldn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 193November 19, 2018 12:15 PM

[quote]I don't think people like them as much as they think.

You may be wrong there >

[bold]$20,840 of $100,000 goal- Raised by 372 people in 4 days[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 194November 19, 2018 12:57 PM

Crazy New Yorkers are doing this for (selfish) nostalgic reasons. They'll give to this but won't help the homeless on the subway. Sad. What the owner doesn't get is how many people don't return to the main restaurant due to the horrible customer service. That is never charming in any country.

by Anonymousreply 195November 19, 2018 2:09 PM

I tend not to give to subway beggars. It's illegal to beg in the subway and, if actually live here, annoying. They are also sometimes dangerous so it's best to just keep the lot out of the subway. That being said, I occasionally give to street beggers and regularly give to a soup kitchen and work in it occasionally, R195. Do you live here?

by Anonymousreply 196November 19, 2018 2:16 PM

R174 exactly! What’s funny is that a year or so after they first opened there was a much more relaxed energy overall and a quick trip in was a simple treat, once the celebs and gushing press took hold that wicked bitch became a nightmare and suddenly even first day locals were treated like shit. She would squirt her pooch if Sting swung by, but rushed the long timers out in under twenty minutes! Whadda true CUNTY BUSH!

by Anonymousreply 197November 19, 2018 4:14 PM

[quote]Well to clarify, if one only pays for one space, and gets rid of the three others, that explains how one can afford a larger one. Bloody morons usually don't do maths for you and offer kind openers.

Please stop trying to be a superior asshole. That was a NOT what I initially asked and you damn well know it.

I stated, if the woman could afford a larger space, while keeping her other two business open, that possibly would not work because she was already having a problem paying the Tea & Sympathy rent. I sure didn't need a fucking lecture from the likes of you!

Please stop trying to twist my words, you aren't exactly a Rhodes Scholar! Why twist any poster's words, so you can come here, then school them about this woman and her failing tea shop?

A few posters before me did ask: "Why doesn't she just get a larger space?" None of them took into account she was a having problem paying for the current tea shop and still had rent on the other two spaces. Later, some posters stated she should simply incorporate all three shops. This is not rocket science.

You are not telling me something I don't know. You were being kind? Don't insult my intelligence.

Why are the Brits so snarky and 'superior'?! No wonder I don't see my British relatives very often, I avoid them like the plague exactly for their inability to be decent to anyone they come across.

by Anonymousreply 198November 20, 2018 3:28 AM

R198 TRIGGERED!

by Anonymousreply 199November 20, 2018 3:41 AM

R198 You're a little slow dear.

by Anonymousreply 200November 20, 2018 5:21 AM

UP, UP, UP it goes

[bold]$23,155 of $100,000 goal - Raised by 392 people in 5 days[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 201November 20, 2018 5:24 AM

Has Susan Dey even bothered to donate anything? That bitch never thinks of anyone but herself.

by Anonymousreply 202November 20, 2018 5:52 AM

That annoying angry Brit has been all over this thread spewing their wisdom to the peons. 😂 🤣 😂 🤣

Wonder why he left NYC. He likely couldn't deal with the high cost of living and in-your-face NYC attitude. Poor little snowflake.

by Anonymousreply 203November 20, 2018 6:05 AM

From Yelp --

"So I left my table to go look for her outside while my other friend stayed at the table and enjoyed her tea. I was gone for only 2 minutes when my friend who was waiting at the table called me frantically and said "The owner saw you leave, she said you can't come back inside." I was so confused, and my friend couldn't understand the logic either...What's even more insulting is that when I came back, I could see my tea and my food on the table through the window. But I wasn't allowed back in just because I left to go get my friend? Again, the place was EMPTY. The waitress apologized profusely to my friend, saying it was the owner's call, not hers."

That's some Grade A bullshit. At any rate, British places tend to not do well in NY. We lost Telephone Bar in the Lower East Side and Park Slope's Chip Shop closed. With those rules and her personality, amazed it lasted this long. There was a great French cafe in the West Village that had to leave and then relocated to Long Island City, which is the sane thing to do. Or was until Amazon came along.

by Anonymousreply 204November 20, 2018 6:35 AM

Yes, I remember Telephone Bar! I went there during my college days.

by Anonymousreply 205November 20, 2018 6:38 AM

Telephone Bar lasted for years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206November 20, 2018 6:45 AM

These people sound really dreadful. I think if you cannot make it on your own, you pack up and move on. To solicit donations is grubby. Contrary to the opinion of one, I'm not angry, just opinionated. Survival of the fittest.

by Anonymousreply 207November 20, 2018 6:46 AM

"Tea & Snark would be a much better name for this place. Before you even step inside you're greeted by a list of rules stuck to the door. Some are fair, some aren't, all are stated nastily and make the customer feel unwelcome. Once inside it's not much better, the waitresses are relentlessly nasty and incompetent, almost to the point of absurdity. I'd laugh if I wouldn't be so annoyed. "

"Server asked me leave the restaurant until my friend arrives. My friend is stuck in NYC traffic. I said I'd like to go ahead and order some tea. They said in that case, they wouldn't seat my friend when she arrives. There are several empty tables. Beware! This place is not customer friendly."

"Here's how the "seating" works ... there's no signage instructing you what to do. If you try to enter the tea room to put your name down, an unfriendly woman points at you through the door, gesturing to the tea shop next door. That is, literally, it. The woman reluctantly poked her head out of the door and just told us to wait next door. I asked if we put our names down somewhere -- nope! There's no wait list and no one takes names or party sizes. If the tea room is full, you wait in the tea shop next door and "everyone sort of knows who is next" and party size is irrelevant. What kind of LACK OF SYSTEM is this? Talk about terrible customer service. I had been waiting years to finally visit this place. Now I never will."

by Anonymousreply 208November 20, 2018 6:56 AM

The YELP reviews are hilarious, unless you're a masochist, who the hell would pay to go into this unwelcoming dump!??

"This place is HORRIBLE!! Do not even bother to go to this place!! There are 2 ladies that extremely arrogant and ignorant, and they're making you feel absolutely uncomfortable in sitting there and enjoying your cup of tea. They do not even let you to sit and enjoy your tea or eat your dessert along with it in a cozy atmosphere. So, just avoid this place if you're looking for a nice, welcoming, cozy, and relaxing, quite place. Their attitude is absolutely not appealing. Btw, you can't even share the same teapot with a friend! you gotta pay $6 per person for a cup of tea. Which then, when you order for 2 people, for $12 they bring you a medium size pot of tea. I think you can get a barista crafted beverage at Starbucks or any local coffee shop for this price. When I say that, I meant it beverages like matcha latte, or rose tea latte. Trust me just avoid this tiny boring place!"

"The staff/management is incredibly rude. If you look at the attached pictures, they were empty for business -- and yet when I got there 10 minutes early for a get together with a couple of friends, she (the owner, I believe) truly made me wait outside. For reference, it was a cold November day. I understand they have a policy of having people wait outside until their party arrives, but the place was literally empty. It makes no sense to me why they would turn down my business while I waited for someone to arrive? The most infuriating thing was her tone - patronizing and lacking in empathy. It honestly made me wonder if that's why the place was so damn empty during dinner time. Needless to say, I'll never be returning."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209November 20, 2018 7:00 AM

Review from some Brits and other Europeans:

"Missing the traditional tea and scones that I would have in London, I decided to try this place out. I went in with my boyfriend and the host made eye contact with us but said nothing but "sit by the window." While we weren't greeted by a person, we were greeted by a lengthy sign on the door with a list of rules... a bit awkward. One of the rules stated that all parties must order food. When she came over to give us our menus, I tried asking her if we could just order scones and tea to which she answered "yes you can get them with your afternoon tea." I tried to clarify myself by saying, "okay so the scones can count as food?" She obviously heard me, but ignored me and walked away. When she came back to take our order, my boyfriend asked the same question again, to which she answered "no," with an attitude. At this point we were over her attitude and rudeness, handed back the menus, and left."

"This is not the England I know. The decor looks a bit like the discarded furniture in my granny's garage. The kitchen vents in to the restaurant so the whole place is suffused with the smell of fried cheese and the stench sticks to you for hours afterwards. Service is reluctant ... and the PRICES! You are paying a fortune for tinned beans, mash and Myers sausages. Save your money (incl. on drycleaning) and go somewhere else. Terribly sorry!"

"Most pretentious tea house I have ever been to. Snobby self-important staff. A tea house with a 12.50$ food / person consummation rule? Even at the Ritz in London I can just have tea. For less than that and better...."

by Anonymousreply 210November 20, 2018 7:10 AM

[quote] She obviously heard me, but ignored me and walked away. When she came back to take our order, my boyfriend asked the same question again, to which she answered "no," with an attitude.

LOL

by Anonymousreply 211November 20, 2018 7:19 AM

The rude service and bad Jellyroll put them out of business. That jellyroll is stale sometimes and they still try and sell it......cheeky monkies

by Anonymousreply 212November 20, 2018 7:24 AM

They also seem to have a vermin problem, rats and roaches!

"Coming to the end of our meal creeping out of the service counter was a MASSIVE cockroach. It was so big we jumped out of our seat and asked to receive our bill outside! Eeeeeeeekkks! I hate those damn things and it was not nice to see after we had eaten food. Really wanted to like this place more but it was a miss. It would have been 3 stars but roach killed it! Won't be back!"

by Anonymousreply 213November 20, 2018 7:25 AM

"EXTREMELY RUDE STAFF! STAY AWAY!!! The owner is an awful, rude human being! The food is bog average as well as being overpriced! Small cramped space! Wouldn't send my worse enemy here! Embarrassing to call yourself an English tea room! Would rather go to prison for lunch!"

"Don't think that this place is like a nostalgic trip to Britain. Cafés in Britain itself would never be this rude, this unpleasant. Time for this café to ditch its offensive, rude, non-customer-liking atmosphere and join the 21st century."

"Darling, announcing to the cook that he should make our pie "extra hot because they're very annoying" might fly in Buggery-upon-Thames or whatever Essex tanning shop you came out of, but it doesn't cut it in NYC and certainly not in London either. In full disclosure, the thing that made us "very annoying" was that we asked for water and checked that our pie order was on the way, after our waitress brought everything to the table except the pie and then went behind the counter to eat cakes and bitch about the other patrons. Also this was not a time that was crowded, at least half the tables were empty, so it wasn't an issue of "a hard day in the service industry". She was just, in keeping with the theme, a royal twat."

"If they offer you an extra cup to share a teapot, you'll unknowingly get charged $6 for the privilege."

"The owner Nicky, is one of the rudest restaurant proprietors I have ever encountered! Maybe she was having a bad day, ( she was spouting off about politics ) I mean really!?!? I came to have a lovely tea and drop over 100 bucks .. I don't want to hear your political opinion.. she was going on and on .....totally inappropriate and ruined my tea! The tea itself was average as was the food."

"The waitress explained that we could share tea that came with the afternoon tea for two but left out that she'd be charging us $12 extra for that, something we missed in our haste to flee the claustrophobic confines of Disney's depressing rendition of your British aunt's cramped dining room in what seemed like a stop on a twisted version of their "it's a small world after all" ride."

"A trap for teahouse novices who may excuse the faded decor for quaintness. I could tolerate the cramped quarters and average tea service if it was clean, but the low lighting could not disguise the cheerless staff and unsanitary conditions."

"You're not getting tea unless you buy $12.50 worth of food, and you're not getting any sympathy either. What an ironically named establishment. The owner will chase you out if you don't tip 20%, the staff are rude (hence do not deserve a 20% tip). If you are not ordering food but your friends are, you will be forced to sit outside and wait. They enjoy forcing you to switch tables IN THE MIDDLE OF EATING so they can cram more people in and sneer at you if you don't want to move. You will also continually be pressured to get up and leave even if you haven't finished eating or drinking yet. This place does not deserve to be in business, and they do not deserve your money. Read the other reviews for the rest, this place is so bad that it is not worth my time writing any more than what I did."

by Anonymousreply 214November 20, 2018 7:38 AM

I love the busy beaver on this thread burrowing around the internet to find these horrible reviews and racing back here to (gleefully) post them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215November 20, 2018 7:55 AM

[quote]The rude service and bad Jellyroll put them out of business.

What is jellyroll? I've never heard of it (& I'm English).

by Anonymousreply 216November 20, 2018 7:58 AM

Funny how everyone calls Nikki OLD! She looks old, but isn;t she only in her 50s?!

"As soon as I walked in, an old Brit lady came rushing at me, arms waving, "No, no, no! You cannot sit down. There have been many people waiting before you!!" Whatever happened to, 'welcome! how may I help you?' I was so disgusted that I didn't even ask for an explanation. I walked back outside and sat on a bench in 30 degree weather. After being seated, and the same mean ass woman who yelled at me told me she liked my dress. "Houndstooth!", she smiled. I thought, "Bipolar, much?" IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR CUSTOMERS TO ENJOY THEIR MEAL, DON'T OPEN A SMALL ASS RESTAURANT THAT SERVES TEA. Because, guess what? People will want to sit and drink their tea. Maybe open a brothel?"

by Anonymousreply 217November 20, 2018 8:00 AM

R216 It's what the Americans call Swiss Roll.

by Anonymousreply 218November 20, 2018 8:07 AM

R217 racing back to the DL with another yelp review >

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219November 20, 2018 8:08 AM

[quote]I love the busy beaver on this thread burrowing around the internet to find these horrible reviews and racing back here to (gleefully) post them.

What's your problem, you annoying slug? Do you know the owners. Are you one of the owners? If so, fuck you.

I'm not burrowing around for these reviews, they are all on YELP, lots of people despise this disgusting phony overpriced roach-filled hovel. The place is filthy and the owner looks like a pig. I can imagine what the kitchen looks like.

This place is completely VILE. Only a complete masochist would waste their time and money at this dump.

Several established NYC hotels serve British 'high tea'. Any self respecting customer could easily go to one and have a normal pleasant experience. They will be treated by a wait staff who knows how to care for their customers and will treat them like humans.

One of the best reviews: "As a Limey, I occasionally crave stodgy food, quirky service and bad teeth. As an American, I have learned to expect better. I haven't had high tea since the days of being ritually sodomized at my boarding school, but on occasion, I have come here for a bit of comfort food and nostalgia. Truth is though, the food really isn't that good, the service is generally abrupt, bordering on rude, but we're supposed to excuse this as good old English charm. I see people extol the virtues of this place for the exact same reasons I've mentioned above, but logic should dictate that you come once, for the 'experience', then never darken its doors again. You want the Brit experience? Marry one, or go to England. There is nothing worthy of your money or attention here."

by Anonymousreply 220November 20, 2018 8:10 AM

[quoteWhat's your problem, you annoying slug? Do you know the owners. Are you one of the owners? If so, fuck you.

You know something? It wasn't an insult, sorry you took it as such. Fuck you back.

by Anonymousreply 221November 20, 2018 8:13 AM

NY Dataloungers should make a field trip there.

by Anonymousreply 222November 20, 2018 8:21 AM

I've had words with the beaver, but am thoroughly enjoying the poor reviews as well! Keep 'em coming beav! Try not to be so sensitive too.

by Anonymousreply 223November 20, 2018 8:23 AM

Apparently the bad reviews go way back, this isn't some current behaviour due to this dump having money problems, the owner and staff have always had contempt for their customers.

"The owner was outrageously rude. We had barely sat down for 20 minutes when the waitress started to clear our unfinished plates. When I said I had not even touched my toast, they proceeded to take my tea pot while I was in mid conversation. Without asking me! I thought they were going to add hot water, but then couldn't help notice the glaring stares from the owner who literally was trying to get us to leave. When we told them we'd only sat down for 30 minutes at that point, she was exasperated and said we had sat for too long and were blocking her next 4 person table. I understand the place is tiny and so we offered to move to another table but wanted to at least finish the scone and what little tea I'd had at that point. She said that's how they turn the tables around. We sat down at 1:10 and left at 1:50. When we spoke with the waitress, she said they could do nothing and the owner can do whatever she wanted! Wow. This was the worst experience I've ever had dining. The irony is people come here for that English charm and quaint experience. It really is amazing how a place could lose its charm so fast, ruined by arrogance and lack of basic hospitality and respect - go here if you want a dose of dining nightmare."

"Can anyone say "RUDE!?" Put simply: I've been all over England and never have I met service quite so rude as this. The server yelled at us when our friend had to suddenly leave, and the entire restaurant became dead quiet. It's just tea and scones people (yes, good in taste). Don't take it that seriously."

"After sitting there for 45 minutes they started to rush us. One of the servers (I assume also the manager or supervisor) literally opened my pot of tea, saw how much was left, and scoffed. She came back to my table and did this 3 times. I do not understand why they only offer large pots of tea if they expect you to drink it like a shot of espresso. In England I would never be rushed drinking my tea! There was a blatant disrespect of our personal space, and the server was cold and unfriendly."

"Surprised anyone not from a smallish town in the uk could like this place. The food seems to be authentic of the kind found in any uk caff. That is not a good thing cuisine wise. Think about the british reputation for bad, weird food and that is what you'll find here. The extortionate prices charged seem meant to hit up working class uk expats experiencing homesickness. Add to that, the unfriendly staff and hostile "rules" make this place a fail on all counts."

"I also wrote to them on Facebook and instead of addressing the issue like any normal company that has even decent customer service, they just deleted my post! I guess they don't believe in transparency nor building a loyal customer base. They are not that spectacular that they can get away with treating people poorly."

by Anonymousreply 224November 20, 2018 8:26 AM

Even though the quote ends abruptly, I love the review that likens the joynt to Disneyworld. This place seems doomed. I hope they do shutter the doors, if only to spare more NYers the pain of the whole kitschy experience.

by Anonymousreply 225November 20, 2018 8:27 AM

For once, the beaver was a little rough on you, Ward.

by Anonymousreply 226November 20, 2018 8:28 AM

[R224]

So it was bad service and lackluster product that drove them out of business....sounds like donations won't cure that....they will just be in trouble sooner or later.Bet the donations are their going out of business severance pay....clever

by Anonymousreply 227November 20, 2018 8:30 AM

[quote]NY Dataloungers should make a field trip there.

Yes, all go in and sit at separate tables and say we're waiting for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 228November 20, 2018 8:32 AM

Please Mr. Beaver, post more reviews for us!

by Anonymousreply 229November 20, 2018 8:35 AM

"Tea and ATTITUDE!! I came here at 7PM for tea on a Wednesday night. The place was damn near empty except for the two waitresses. I arrived early before my friend and asked for a table for two. The waitresses explained that they couldn't seat me until the rest of my party arrived. I pointed out that their establishment was EMPTY. They said it didn't matter. I said, "Okay, how 'bout a table for one?" They said, "Okay, but if your friend arrives she'll have to sit at a different table." "Sounds good," said I, thinking she was kidding. She handed me a menu, I thanked her, she scowled at me. I ordered a ginger tea and the scones -- apparently there's a 12 dollar minimum. The tea and scones arrived, a moment later so did my friend. She sat at my table. Uh-oh. The waitresses told me they could get fired for this. I apologized profusely. I said the last thing I'd like to see is one of them get fired. I did not point out again that the establishment was EMPTY. We waited for about five minutes in the empty establishment for the two scowling witches of Macbeth to bring another menu, but one never came. It was clear our patronage was not wanted. We stood up, I dropped a twenty on the table for the 12 dollar tab, and apologized again for the inconvenience we presented by our patronage. "You have to pay your tab," said the brunette. "Oh, I paid." I lived in England for years. I've seen British service, but none this bad. And btw, the waitresses should be fired."

They don't even care about the people who live in the neighborhood: "I'm at a loss for words...I was there today, had just gotten my food, when a friend (who really needed tea and sympathy after a dreadful breakup) stopped by. Even though the place was empty except for me and they had just opened (11:45am) they would not allow her to join me. They "don't allow joiners". "Sorry, ladies, but rules are rules." According to the rules, she could sit a a different table by herself, but not with me. THE RESTAURANT WAS EMPTY! NO OTHER CUSTOMERS! I live 2 blocks away. So does my friend. So now they have alienated two people from the neighborhood. All we could do is laugh and leave. The poor woman that owns the place. She must be so unhappy... When your own rules are more important than your customers it's time to look at your rules. If the restaurant had been crowded, I understand. If people had been waiting, I understand. If we had been more than 2, I understand. But to throw two customers out of an empty restaurant because "rules are rules" is a true sign that this world is getting darker, not brighter. It makes me truly sad....There are so many wonderful restaurants in the West Village. Go to one that actually wants you there."

"Would have loved to try the food here since I live across the street but I was treated so rudely when I arrived that I just couldn't justify it. My cousin was meeting me - she also lives in the neighborhood - and the restaurant was empty. I was seated by a relatively nice waitress - blonde, polite. As soon as I sat down, an older woman came storming into the restaurant and yelled loudly "you need to go wait outside until your friend gets here." I got up, went outside and sat on the bench, saying nothing. The woman (manager? owner?) followed me out, continued to yell at me that I was being unfair to other customers and she would even make her own family wait. I still said nothing and when my cousin arrived 5 minutes later, we went to a lovely meal at Cafe Cluny around the corner. No scone can be that good. Awful experience."

by Anonymousreply 230November 20, 2018 8:36 AM

[R216]

Its the jam filled cake.It was horrendous both times i had it.Very stale and its what they are known for. An they took back my pot of tea....

by Anonymousreply 231November 20, 2018 8:37 AM

[quote] As soon as I sat down, an older woman came storming into the restaurant and yelled loudly "you need to go wait outside until your friend gets here."

LOL

by Anonymousreply 232November 20, 2018 8:39 AM

Another customer from the neighborhood: Do not support this place!! I live ACROSS THE STREET and I will NEVER come here or recommend it to anyone again. More than two months ago my English friend who lives in SC told me she was coming to NYC and bringing her elderly mother who walks with a cane. She REALLY WANTED TO BRING HER ELDERLY ENGLISH MOTHER TO TEA AND (NO) SYMPATHY. she called from SC and was told no reservations. I walked over and explained the situation to the owner - that my English friend is bringing her elderly English mother, and that they really want to have tea here. I asked if I could PLEASE OFFER A CREDIT CARD to reserve a table so that this sweet, elderly English woman could come enjoy her tea. Nope, she said. Just come about 30 minutes early and wait for a table. This was two months prior, and the owner could not accommodate a neighbor's request. (I even showed her that I had posted pics of my last tea there on instagram). No love. Today I arrived to wait on a table for my English friends while they took a car service from their hotel. No open tables in the joint. No one moved. I waited 30 minutes and nothing. It was freezing outside, and this poor woman with a cane was miserable. Tired of waiting (for overpriced nuggets of English food) we went next door to Rosso Pomodoro and had a delicious meal. The owner of Tea and No Sympathy should be ashamed of her greedy, non-neighborly ways."

"It's amazing she stays in business all these years. Nicky has confused an English Boarding school with a restaurant in NYC. The printed rules are ridiculous. Making you wait outside in the heat --when the restaurant is empty-- for 1 friend is silly. But when the owner screams through lunch-- allows a camera crew to take over the restaurant without pause to the few customers there-- nuts. I almost forgot how tasty the avocado BLT was, but not worth returning.... Did I mention the walls were actually dirty? There are better tea and lunch spots -- go there."

I LOVE when the reviewers recommend better restaurants in their putdowns of this dump: "I made plans to meet an old friend in the restaurant today. When I arrived she wasn't there and the restaurant was empty. The surly staff asked me if my friend was there. I repeat; the place was EMPTY. I said not yet. I was then directed to the bench outside in the 90 degree heat because they don't seat partial parties or let them wait inside. F*** that; the West Village is full of cute places without attitude happy to serve me. Advice? ROSEMARY'S 1.5 blocks south on Greenwich."

by Anonymousreply 233November 20, 2018 8:42 AM

"The idea and location is great, but personnel is horrible!!! Careless, rude girls, messing up with orders. It was terrible to see how they started to count money once we paid the bill. I wish I didn't see this... Also I was shocked to see how waitresses there are careless, a brunette one was wearing shorts with opened zipper. They REALLY don't give a shit about their appearance and attitude. No manners, no class."

What's surprising is how that pig-nosed witch managed to keep this place open all these years. I would assume customers do read reviews first? As I said, these terrible reviews go way back. Did so many of these customers go there expecting to see their fave British celebrities?

by Anonymousreply 234November 20, 2018 8:45 AM

They had a sort of vlog or blog or whatever you call them

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235November 20, 2018 8:45 AM

[quote]Did so many of these customers go there expecting to see their fave British celebrities?

Probably

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236November 20, 2018 8:52 AM

[quote]They had a sort of vlog or blog or whatever you call them

The owner deleted the bad reviews from her own FB, but apparently didn't try to get all those negative reviews taken off YELP.

The owner's dad got an MBE, apparently he was somewhat famous back in the UK, he owned a classical record company. No wonder she's so bitter, her dad gets an MBE and she has a failing cafe business. She needs to go back to England, at least they have 'free' healthcare!

With Joanna Lumley, DL icon! "I think she's tremendous!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237November 20, 2018 8:53 AM

[R234]....as a tourist i wanted some english class during my visit...didn't find it on both occasions

Cafe Cluny was lovely and probably gets alot of their business.

by Anonymousreply 238November 20, 2018 8:53 AM

Gary Oldman's mother no less. "Nicky and her go way back"

[quote]None other than Gary Oldman’s mum stopped by for a cuppa and a natter the other week. Nicky and her go way back, and they can both talk until the cows come home. There was barely a moment to take this picture, but we couldn’t let the moment pass!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239November 20, 2018 8:54 AM

[quote]With Joanna Lumley, DL icon! "I think she's tremendous!"

I think Nicky's the (new) DL icon.

by Anonymousreply 240November 20, 2018 9:01 AM

How is it legally acceptable to have a notice in the window that states you must be nice to the waitresses -- the point being, why only female service staff?

by Anonymousreply 241November 20, 2018 9:01 AM

Oh the MBE went to her big nosed head,i see

by Anonymousreply 242November 20, 2018 9:03 AM

After reading all those negative reviews it makes me wonder who the hell is writing all those positive comments at their GoFundMe page. Apparently some people really have had good time there... or the store owners have been busy writing all the positive comments.

"I don’t like tea and have never gone here BUT several years ago, I got fired from a nearby non profit and was crying outside this store and talking to a friend. This nice woman came out of the store and comforted me. She even offered me a job!! I won’t forget your kindness. I hope this little donation helps. Good people deserve help. Xoxo"

"I've been going to Tea & Sympathy for almost 20 years. Nicky would carry my children around the restaurant when they were babies. My son's first solid food was the whole grain toast (original). He would absolutely destroy the place but the crew loved him. My kids are grown now and we've moved to NJ, but we always go back to this fabulous oasis in the West Village. Please fork over some dough to make sure this institution can stay alive."

"I've been spending my birthday at Tea & Sympathy for the last 16 years. I don't want to even imagine that having to change! Their rhubarb crumble, sticky toffee pudding and lemon drizzle cake have spoiled me for all other puddings. Can you even get Welsh rarebit anywhere else in NYC? And nobody has better tea!"

"When I lived in NYC, you were a little piece of calm. Also that poem rhyming how American restaurants make tea with gnat's pee. :)"

"We are raving fans for a number of reasons - the food, the passionate political conversation, the community support - but my favorite reason is that on my mother's 90th birthday, Nicky insisted the lunch was her treat. Time for me to return the favor!"

by Anonymousreply 243November 20, 2018 9:06 AM

[quote]This place once was once okay, but its gone way downhill. Crazy rules about seating & eating. [bold]Very rude staff who will treat you like dirt from the moment you arrive for no apparent reason. [/bold]Extremely overpriced food for what you get with declining quality. Really not worth a trip anymore.

by Anonymousreply 244November 20, 2018 9:08 AM

LOL

[quote]Rude staff, the owner is completely and utterly full of herself, the staff have absolutely no respect for their customers. The food is ridiculously overpriced and average at best! [bold]I would rather eat cat food for the rest of my life[/bold] than ever step foot in this place again!

by Anonymousreply 245November 20, 2018 9:10 AM

[quote]Roaches!! I was there for dinner yesterday and found a roach in my soup. This place is simply disgusting. I'm shocked to see a restaurant in these conditions.

by Anonymousreply 246November 20, 2018 9:11 AM

R243 the owners or staff ,or their friends and family obviously.

by Anonymousreply 247November 20, 2018 9:13 AM

[quote]None other than Gary Oldman’s mum stopped by for a cuppa and a natter the other week. Nicky and her go way back, and they can both talk until the cows come home. There was barely a moment to take this picture, but we couldn’t let the moment pass!

Speaking of cows, Nicky sure fits the description: "That old cow!"

Exactly how did this freaky old cow think her business model would be successful? Crap tasteless food, outrageous prices for said food and non-existant customer service. Honest, WTF sort sort of business model is that?

I know the Brits are used to getting flogged at their private schools, but c'mon, only a true masochist would purposely frequent this horror show!

by Anonymousreply 248November 20, 2018 9:15 AM

She's a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 249November 20, 2018 9:18 AM

[quote]Came here to meet some friends from England. Arrived 15 minutes early but they refused to give me a seat and told me [bold]I could go stand next door in their dump of a tea store.[/bold] I had planned to order some tea and biscuits but that was clearly not sufficient for these snooty people.

by Anonymousreply 250November 20, 2018 9:19 AM

[quote]the owners or staff ,or their friends and family obviously.

There was one review about three people being forced to wait out in the rain because the 4th person was running late, Nicky wouldn't let they in because the other person wasn't there yet. They watched as one of Nicky's regular customers waltzed in and got the table meant for FOUR. Only a sociopath does that! This psychotic woman must take some immense pleasure in harassing her customers.

Please tell me she doesn't have any children. One can imagine how she treats them!

by Anonymousreply 251November 20, 2018 9:22 AM

[quote][bold]And then we listened to the owner rant, and I mean rant, at the top of her lungs about politics (to herself mostly and the waitress). [/bold]She was nice to people at 1 table (who she probably knew) but the rest of us were ignored. One poor guy came in to ask about lunch and was told to leave if the other people in his party weren't with him. He never came back in.

by Anonymousreply 252November 20, 2018 9:22 AM

Perhaps they're struggling because the whole concept of Afternoon Tea is so outdated. Here in London it's put on only for tourists or day-trippers.

by Anonymousreply 253November 20, 2018 9:24 AM

LOL - these just get better and better

[quote]We had some innocent issues with our service, and in response we nicely approached the staff. Instead of getting a kind response in return, [bold]we were told to be quiet or they would kick us out. [/bold]Bottom line, places like this need to be "outed". NYC is too great of a place to allow this. People, WAKE UP!!

by Anonymousreply 254November 20, 2018 9:24 AM

[quote]Can you even get Welsh rarebit anywhere else in NYC?

Puh-lease! Welsh rarebit is basically a glorified variation on grilled cheese.

"Welsh rarebit or Welsh rabbit is a dish made with a savoury sauce of melted cheese and various other ingredients and served hot, after being poured over slices of toasted bread, or the hot cheese sauce may be served in a chafing dish like a fondue, accompanied by sliced, toasted bread."

by Anonymousreply 255November 20, 2018 9:28 AM

Tea & Sympathy makes me embarrassed to be English in New York. From[bold] the pissy little list of 'rules' for customers[/bold] printed on the menu (we can move you if we want, TIP US, etc) [bold]to the frankly stupid 'you can't come in till all your party has arrived' dictat - oh, fine, so we won't order the additional food/drink we'd had have consumed while we wait [/bold]- to the [bold]scuzzy[/bold] unmatched teapot lids and saucers, to the snippy waiting staff... [bold]Tea & Sympathy manage to replicate the very worst aspects of 70s style seaside boarding-house catering, without the scenery.[/bold] I visited with an American friend and cringed from the moment my boyfriend and I [bold]were peremptorily herded out to wait on the street for him (despite the cafe being half-empty)[/bold] to the awkward reminder the waitress had to deliver about spending at least $12.50 a head. The tablecloths were sticky, the china was mismatched, the menus were padded and laminated in the afore-mentioned seaside boarding house style. The tea menu was full of delicacies like 'Heinz spaghetti on toast' and 'Cheese and Branston sandwiches', creating an ambience more reminiscent of Sandbach Services than Downton Abbey. This is what British food was like, at its most unappealingly post-war, in the 70s

by Anonymousreply 256November 20, 2018 9:30 AM

They have a daughter, r251.

by Anonymousreply 257November 20, 2018 9:32 AM

^^ that was meant to be in quotes - it was NOT my experience.

by Anonymousreply 258November 20, 2018 9:32 AM

^ R256

by Anonymousreply 259November 20, 2018 9:32 AM

The old cow deserves to lose her shirt. It makes me angry reading some of them. I'm sure Nikky Perry fancies herself as someone famous, merely because famous patrons from back home take photos with her. Where are those important chums now? I like the cafeteria comparison, because it is the most accurate. I had better teas and scones in basements at The University of London.

by Anonymousreply 260November 20, 2018 9:34 AM

[bold]$23,155 of $100,000 goal Raised by 392 people in 5 days[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 261November 20, 2018 9:42 AM

[quote]Perhaps they're struggling because the whole concept of Afternoon Tea is so outdated. Here in London it's put on only for tourists or day-trippers.

Did you read the reviews? You cannot just go there for dessert! That's completely absurd!

People in NYC still enjoy a nice leisurely British tea experience, especially the expats. It's the owner's coarse attitude and general corrosive atmosphere which is likely turning-off potential customers.

Nicky doesn't seem to take into account, lots of people, after having dinner, actually enjoy having their dessert at another place. Why force people to have a meal, just to have some tea and desserts?!

When my friends from London come into NYC we usually go to Veniero's cafe for coffee and pastries. They LOVE that place. My mom grew up around there, she was shocked to hear they're still doing well. I told her, everything is still tasty and the workers are always pleasant.

The fact that this unhinged T&S owner will not allow her customers to come in for tea and dessert is a completely insane business practice!

by Anonymousreply 262November 20, 2018 9:44 AM

[quote]They have a daughter,

Is she one of the horrible waitresses?

by Anonymousreply 263November 20, 2018 9:48 AM

Wow, the rate of donations has slowed down!

Do you think Sarah Jessica Parker, Sting, Naomi Campbell, Christie Hynde etc, get the Rules thrown at them?

Oh, and she has an Eastenders Wall Of Fame in her gift shop.

by Anonymousreply 264November 20, 2018 9:51 AM

[quote]Tea & Sympathy manage to replicate the very worst aspects of 70s style seaside boarding-house catering, without the scenery.

There's a place near me in London I recently discovered that is so '70s in a good and bad way. It's a converted church. The architect went to town. Lots of glassed in areas and walkways, except the glass is sort of grubby, covered in finger marks (SO English) but the food is 70s in a good way, tasty soups in earth-ware bowls and crusty rolls, lasagne and quiches with salads consisting of a few lettuce leaves and the service wonderfully amateur, a mixture of smiley students and ancient grannies who don't know what the hell is going on.

I take everyone I know there.

by Anonymousreply 265November 20, 2018 9:55 AM

[quote]Roaches!! I was there for dinner yesterday and found a roach in my soup. This place is simply disgusting. I'm shocked to see a restaurant in these conditions.

Since basic decorum is not a normal aspect of this dump, I have to figure the person's meal was not comped? More likely, the 'lovely' Nicky probably charged EXTRA for the ROACH!

by Anonymousreply 266November 20, 2018 9:57 AM

A friend knows Brit-actor-of-the-moment Riz Ahmed. I'm going to tell him to bring Riz to this dump the next time he's in NYC. Riz is super intelligent, has a bit of a temper and doesn't suffer fools gladly, wonder how the hell he'd deal with this dive and it's shitty service.

Nicky might recognize Riz and kiss his ass, she'll probably ask him to pose for a photo for her Wall of Fame!

by Anonymousreply 267November 20, 2018 10:03 AM

R265 Where is that?

The best 70s throwback in London is the famous Oslo Court in St John's Wood.

by Anonymousreply 268November 20, 2018 10:09 AM

These people like Nicky and there's a queen in the mix who "lives around the corner" who loves the scones and "clodded" cream- gurl, puhlease!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269November 20, 2018 10:14 AM

R267 please do this, and post an update.

With all the various places to eat in and around NYC this tourist trap deserves to be shut down for health code violations, since there are roaches in the food like R266 posted.

I wonder if Gordon Ramsay has been here and if he got into a fight with the staff and owners?

by Anonymousreply 270November 20, 2018 10:15 AM

[quote][R265] Where is that?

I'll link it if I can find it. I don't know its actual name.

[quote]The best 70s throwback in London is the famous Oslo Court in St John's Wood.

In what way?

by Anonymousreply 271November 20, 2018 10:20 AM

I wonder which guy from Squeeze Nicky was living with in NYC. Glenn Tillbrook from Squeeze was cute and rumour has it he has a big dick! Had no idea Squeeze were living in NYC back in the day.

Years ago, I did see Jools Holland with a really ugly groupie at Club 57, she had a totally unattractive face, was very tall and had huge fake tits. Jools was super skinny at the time, they made an odd couple.

by Anonymousreply 272November 20, 2018 10:20 AM

[quote][[R265]] Where is that?

The Atrium Café - St. Paul's Church, Hammersmith.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273November 20, 2018 10:23 AM

Don't let the jazzy facade fool you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274November 20, 2018 10:27 AM

[quote][R267] please do this, and post an update

I definitely will. I wish this thread had gone up sooner, Riz was living in Brooklyn since around January, for about six-seven months. As he had a lot of work in the States, Brooklyn was his base. He filmed his deaf rock drummer film Sound of Metal in Massachusetts.

I'm going to ask my friend to ask Riz if he's already been to this ridiculous cafe. Riz is bit of a foodie, seems doubtful he'd waste his time at such a tourist trap. When he's in NYC, he usually hits the Indian and Pakistani restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 275November 20, 2018 10:28 AM

As an expat, loved to go there for my Lucozade, good chocolate, Lyons Tea and liquorice all sorts. It wasn't "fancy" back then. Greenwich Ave I think?

by Anonymousreply 276November 20, 2018 10:29 AM

[quote]Glenn Tillbrook from Squeeze was cute and rumour has it he has a big dick! Had no idea Squeeze were living in NYC back in the day.

Don't be silly - all the British pop stars escaped to New York or LA back in the day, once they had a morsel of success.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277November 20, 2018 10:32 AM

[quote]As an expat, loved to go there for my Lucozade, good chocolate, Lyons Tea and liquorice all sorts.

OMG I bought a bag of liquorice comfits from Sainsbury's yesterday - I have to ration myself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278November 20, 2018 10:35 AM

[quote]I'm going to ask my friend to ask Riz if he's already been to this ridiculous cafe. Riz is bit of a foodie, seems doubtful he'd waste his time at such a tourist trap. When he's in NYC, he usually hits the Indian and Pakistani restaurants.

Why would he do that?

Sounds like a creep.

by Anonymousreply 279November 20, 2018 10:38 AM

Nicky's Eastenders fan board

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280November 20, 2018 10:49 AM

[quote]Don't be silly - all the British pop stars escaped to New York or LA back in the day, once they had a morsel of success.

I was a huge Squeeze fan, not stalker level, but I sure knew some Squeeze stalkers, they would have surely told me if some band members had been living in NYC. They might have been here for a few months. I recall seeing a bunch of their East Coast gigs over the course of a about 6-8 months, that's probably when some of the band lived here..

As for Sting, I was also a huge Police/Sting fan. I knew he had a loft on Prince Street, he lived down there when he left his first wife for Trudie. That was during the early 1980s. Think he's had about 3-4 different residences in the city over the years. Last I heard, he was in the process of selling his last CPW co-op. Not sure if he's gone back to the UK permanently. Sting had eight residences at one point. He produces wine on his Tuscany property, Lord knows he needs more money!

by Anonymousreply 281November 20, 2018 11:20 AM

The Squeeze connection might be down to the fact Nicky is also from Blackheath, where Squeeze are from. Jools Holland lives here in Blackheath, has a studio down the road in Westcombe Park and still headlines the On Blackheath festival each year.

by Anonymousreply 282November 20, 2018 11:24 AM

In fairness to this Nicky woman, I don't know a restaurant in NYC that allows an incomplete party to sit at their table, even if the table is free, it's the bar or just stood in the lobby 'til all arrive. This is for a pre-booked visit too. Another annoyance in NYC restaurants is the insistence that you hand over your jacket to the cloakroom, I kept mine over the back of my chair and the server said 'I'm sorry, it's our policy to hang coats up' I told them that didn't match my policy. I find NYC restaurants most overbearing with bossy rules and then the colossal tip because the staff are underpaid . T&S is just doing the usual NYC thing in those regards, however it has high faultin' ideas above its station in terms of what a treat it is in there, if it were what it imagines itself to be it would be a loss but in reality it's just a grubby'caff' serving average canteen food grumpily.

by Anonymousreply 283November 20, 2018 11:26 AM

[quote]Why would he do that? Sounds like a creep.

Not sure I know what you mean. By 'hits' the India/Pakistani restaurants, I mean he goes to them. What'd did you think I meant?

Riz is super cool, very charming, has a great sense of humour, he can be a bit hyper (he talks a lot!) and he can't seem to sit still. Even when he's not traveling for work, he's constantly traveling somewhere. My friend says he has a feeling Riz might make Brooklyn a second home.

I was trying to say he likely would not have time for the nonsense of this Nicky woman. He'd probably walk out of her shop. He's an activist, most likely he wouldn't enjoy her behaviour towards her customers, he would find it beyond the pale, that she expects to get paid for such horrendous service and her unhinged attitude.

Riz is always cool to his fans, always talks to them, poses for selfies.

by Anonymousreply 284November 20, 2018 11:30 AM

R283, I have never known a NYC restaurant that would not allow an incomplete party to be seated if the whole entire restaurant is empty.

I have been in this situation many times and T&S is definitely the outlier.

by Anonymousreply 285November 20, 2018 11:32 AM

R284 Why the fuck are you trying to derail a thread about a failing restaurant with how you know someone who knows Riz Ahmed?

by Anonymousreply 286November 20, 2018 11:49 AM

[quote]In fairness to this Nicky woman, I don't know a restaurant in NYC that allows an incomplete party to sit at their table, even if the table is free, it's the bar or just stood in the lobby 'til all arrive.

C'mon this place isn't high end. Even a high end place doesn't treat paying customers like scum. You'd probably get a better meal at the fictional Eastenders cafe!

Nicky's rules are absurd, asking her customers to wait outside in freezing cold weather, heavy rain and stifling heat? Fuck her and fuck her psychotic bullshit!

In one of those reviews, I think someone said they paid over $100 for sub-par food. That's outrageous. You can get a pretty decent meal for that amount at a real restaurant.

Then, she rushes these naive people, who she's charging outrageous amounts for mediocre food, to speed up their meal. Over the years, I've been to all sorts of NYC eateries, I don't recall being subjected to such horrible behaviour. Years ago, I went to a Village restaurant, wish I remembered the name, the waiter that night was visibly miffed because only half of our party were drinkers! I guess he wanted us to order two $500 bottles of wine! He literally rolled his eyes. It wasn't as if we just ordered entrees or just soup. We all ate full meals! It was as if he felt he was too good to be a waiter.

My friend's husband told the waiter off. "Are you going to continue with the attitude? If you are, I'm going to request another waiter! My wife and I are regular customers we've never been treated like this." Unfortunately, we went on a night when my friend's regular waiter was off as was the maitre'd. The regulars always treated us like royalty, our regular waiter was such sweet funny guy. I felt bad for a friend who was part of the party, it was his birthday. We had raved about the place. I want to say it was Rosemary's, just looked it up, that wasn't it.

by Anonymousreply 287November 20, 2018 11:49 AM

[quote] Why the fuck are you trying to derail a thread about a failing restaurant with how you know someone who knows Riz Ahmed?

You must be a newbie here. DL threads ALWAYS veer OT, always!

I just so happened to mention Riz is a friend of a friend, he's a foodie who spends a lot of time in NYC/Brooklyn. Despite being British, Riz likely wouldn't want to deal with the old cow's terrible attitude. Think he knows what a traditional English cafe should be like and this sure isn't it!

Jeez, don't get your knickers in a twist dude! Simmer down.

Are you the same person who called him a creep? If so, based on exactly what?

by Anonymousreply 288November 20, 2018 11:56 AM

Oh, stop with Riz. REALLY! No one's interested.

by Anonymousreply 289November 20, 2018 11:58 AM

[quote]Oh, stop with Riz. REALLY! No one's interested.

No, why don't YOU stop trying to control a fucking thread! You are making a bloody ass of yourself. Go into another thread, you sound as unhinged as Nicky! Did the others here make you this thread's hall monitor? 😂 🤣😂 🤣😂

How the hell can you make such a ridiculous statement: "No one's interested." Do you personally know ALL the responders in this thread? How ridiculous! STFU.

How interesting that others in the thread have mentioned many other English celebs who have frequented T&S, yet I mentioned Riz, then a troll like you suddenly finds that a problem, accuses me of derailing the thread. What a joke! Hmmm, I wonder why.

by Anonymousreply 290November 20, 2018 12:05 PM

You'd never get these many peas in England.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291November 20, 2018 12:08 PM

R290 You sound a bit stupid.

by Anonymousreply 292November 20, 2018 12:08 PM

[quote][R290] You sound a bit stupid.

Careful! He'll implode!

He was the one who jumped on me for calling him a busy beaver.

by Anonymousreply 293November 20, 2018 12:11 PM

It's the way you continue to gush about Riz Ahmed. I agree that you sound very stupid.

by Anonymousreply 294November 20, 2018 12:11 PM

[quote]How interesting that others in the thread have mentioned many other English celebs who have frequented T&S, yet I mentioned Riz, then a troll like you suddenly finds that a problem, accuses me of derailing the thread. What a joke! Hmmm, I wonder why.

because they've actually been to this place and are personal friends of Nicky's.

Riz has never even been to fucking Tea & Sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 295November 20, 2018 12:13 PM

I know Kim Catrell and she used to be a restaurant manager, plus she has no problem speaking her mind. Maybe I can get her to go with me to Tea & Sympathy to tell these people off. (Oh, yes, she told me she was born in England.)

by Anonymousreply 296November 20, 2018 12:16 PM

I know someone who was in EastEnders once. I'm not sure if they've ever been to NYC but thought I'd just let you all know.

by Anonymousreply 297November 20, 2018 12:18 PM

Is it too soon to put Havvey Weinstein on the case? I know him and he is great in negotiation. Maybe he can get them to change the rules.

by Anonymousreply 298November 20, 2018 12:24 PM

[quote]because they've actually been to this place and are personal friends of Nicky's. Riz has never even been to fucking Tea & Sympathy.

Lamest response of the day. btw, Nicky has few friends, let alone any famous ones. Let's just say I know.

DL is now overrun with vicious unhinged trolls, Perhaps all you nasty keyboard warriors can get a job at that T&S dump! It would be right up your alleys!

by Anonymousreply 299November 20, 2018 12:25 PM

I happen to know Rumplestiltskin and he knows how to handle trolls. Should I introduce him to this thread and see what he has to say to all the trolls?

by Anonymousreply 300November 20, 2018 12:26 PM

R270 I thought the same as you, but you beat me to the punch! I would give money to see Gordon fucking Ramsay go to her grubby tea shoppe and try to shape her behaviour! He would be ruthless to her. How she landed her handsome half-Irish husband I'll never figure.

by Anonymousreply 301November 20, 2018 1:02 PM

I wish for the Beav to come back with more scathing reviews.

by Anonymousreply 302November 20, 2018 1:05 PM

How did they even pass heath inspection? roach in soup?!? gross!!

Why even give them money? Dump!

No wonder they have no biz they way they treat the customers.

All good things come to an END.

by Anonymousreply 303November 20, 2018 1:12 PM

[quote]How did they even pass heath inspection? roach in soup?!? gross!!

Think I asked that upthread.

How on Earth does this dump stay in business, in all these years, no one reported them? Lots of people at Yelp talked about how dirty the place was, the "sticky plastic tablecloths", roaches in their food and a huge roach, the ones New Yorkers call water bugs, near a counter! I can imagine how filthy the kitchen is.

by Anonymousreply 304November 20, 2018 1:59 PM

Don't forget R304, even the walls are filthy.

by Anonymousreply 305November 20, 2018 3:39 PM

Robert Irvine loves their Victoria Spronge,it was actually televised.Yes the cafe looks aged,but i think that's the look Big Nose is going for.

by Anonymousreply 306November 20, 2018 3:47 PM

Its on youtube....Bignose is prominently featured.

by Anonymousreply 307November 20, 2018 3:57 PM

I should think she'd let Gordon Ramsay in - due to the celeb factor, but there'd be drama and tears.

by Anonymousreply 308November 20, 2018 3:58 PM

[quote]How she landed her handsome half-Irish husband I'll never figure.

She also landed Glenn Tillbrook, but he wisely dislodged the hook.

by Anonymousreply 309November 20, 2018 8:32 PM

^^Tilbrook

by Anonymousreply 310November 20, 2018 8:34 PM

If they changed the name to the Royston Vasey Tea Shop maybe people would understand the ambience better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311November 20, 2018 10:30 PM

R276 and R278 eat some Salimak liquorice instead. It's a lot better than the fruity and way too sweet British liquorice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312November 20, 2018 11:30 PM

It would be hysterical if a group of DLers all descended on this place at once and were the customers of her nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 313November 21, 2018 1:32 AM

God, R313, I love it. A group of us, but go in one at a time, and just as she’s about to tell us to wait outside, the next one comes in. Order a pot of tea, but share one cup - pass it around the table. Snap pictures of the nasty plastic tablecloths and put them on Yelp. Take a video of her yelling at us and put that on Yelp, too.

by Anonymousreply 314November 21, 2018 2:41 AM

[quote]God, [R313], I love it. A group of us, but go in one at a time, and just as she’s about to tell us to wait outside, the next one comes in. Order a pot of tea, but share one cup - pass it around the table. Snap pictures of the nasty plastic tablecloths and put them on Yelp. Take a video of her yelling at us and put that on Yelp, too.

This scenario would be fantastic, this all sounds fabulous in print. Problem with this scenario, you'd never get to order just one pot of tea with a full table of people. The waitress clearly states to all customers, everyone must order a meal, you can't even just go there for tea and a dessert. How would you be able to pull this off.

Damn straight that witch needs a taste of her own medicine but you'll have to come up with something better. How about you all order, then when the food arrives, you all get up and say, "Sorry we forget, we have to go to a play....." Then, bolt without paying!

Apparently there's no security there, how would she stop an entire group of people? Isn't it just her and one waitress?

by Anonymousreply 315November 21, 2018 5:01 AM

[R315]her waitresses are slender....Nikki is the security and i can see her back handing you lot if you came in to start a row.She reminds me of the warden on women's prison shows.

by Anonymousreply 316November 21, 2018 5:43 AM

R315 or even better, eat all the food, drink the tea and eat the scones and then dine and dash.

by Anonymousreply 317November 21, 2018 9:36 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318November 21, 2018 9:42 AM

Full English Breakfast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319November 21, 2018 9:44 AM

Welsh Rarebit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320November 21, 2018 9:46 AM

I'd probably want to send this "toast" back for a proper toasting - but would I DARE?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321November 21, 2018 9:48 AM

Treacle Pudding & Custard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322November 21, 2018 9:51 AM

Didn't someone at YELP post they charge $3 EXTRA for one tomato slice?! That's sheer insanity!

If that's the case, the Welsh Rarebit @R320, has $9 worth of tomatoes on it! I can get two grilled cheese sandwiches with tomatoes, a side of French fries and a coffee for less than $12 at my local dinner!

by Anonymousreply 323November 21, 2018 12:02 PM

R319/R321 I expect mushrooms and black pudding with a full breakfast. AND proper toast.

by Anonymousreply 324November 21, 2018 12:19 PM

R324 The fact they offer bangers and mash for breakfast is all the proof I need that if you're looking for an authentic British experience, Tea & Sympathy is not the place to go.

by Anonymousreply 325November 21, 2018 12:29 PM

Where's it say bangers and mash for breakfast?

That Full English @ R319 looks pretty authentic to me.

by Anonymousreply 326November 21, 2018 1:46 PM

What everyone should be saying about this 'cafe':

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327November 21, 2018 6:50 PM

Mushrooms — $8 surcharge

Toasting extending beyond bread's crust — light, $4 per slice; medium, $6; dark, $8

Black pudding — BYOP

by Anonymousreply 328November 21, 2018 6:53 PM

[quote]Mushrooms — $8 surcharge

Is that for the whole can? Or do they get multiple $8 surcharges from one can?

by Anonymousreply 329November 21, 2018 7:01 PM

British food, unless it's Indian or Pakistani is not that good. The food made and served at that overrated tourist trap is nasty and not even made correctly.

by Anonymousreply 330November 21, 2018 7:05 PM

Omg is that Riz making a welcome return to this thread @r327?

by Anonymousreply 331November 21, 2018 7:14 PM

The beaver seems to have returned in spite of all the dramatics yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 332November 21, 2018 7:20 PM

Sooooo....it's essentially a British version of Amy's Baking Company?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333November 21, 2018 7:40 PM

LOL R333. The thing is Nicky, the owner, can be very warm and funny. The rules are whatever because it's such a tiny place. She has to have them. But the last time i went there one of the waitresses was such a bitch and basically said don't tip me; i don't care. That's messed up. And Nicky has probably given up at this point in terms of food quality, cleanliness, etc.

by Anonymousreply 334November 21, 2018 7:58 PM

I can overlook the cunty disservice, the wildlife scuttling across the floor, yesterday's consumption embedded in the tablecloth and the ridiculous $13.50 for a poxy scotch egg.

But HOT Ribena? Close this dump and bulldoze it into the ground!

by Anonymousreply 335November 21, 2018 8:48 PM

HOT Ribena was a real thing when I was a kid in England - for elevenses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336November 21, 2018 8:59 PM

^^ In fact I always hated it hot.

by Anonymousreply 337November 21, 2018 9:00 PM

They're not a failing business, they can't afford a 600% or 800% or a 6000% rent increase.

Nearby, the vibrant Bleeker street shops that made the nabe an appealing place to visit and an enviable place to live no longer exist, the shops are all closed.

Even STARBUCKS was forced to close a bustling location on the Upper West Side of Manhattan when the landowner significantly increased their rent.

When STARBUCKS can't afford the rent you know there is a problem! Here's a query for you astute dataloungers.

White fright/flight ( from the cities to the burbs) during the 1960s and 1970s included major divestment of services in New York City , closed storefronts was one indication of a depressed, flagging and failing economy and failing city.

Why is it now retail spaces can be left unoccupied for years on end and this is not considered the eyesore it was considered in the 1970s?

by Anonymousreply 338November 22, 2018 12:08 AM

you can get full english breakfast at any british bar in the city and there are so many!

by Anonymousreply 339November 22, 2018 12:12 AM

Horrible greedy landlords can leave spaces unoccupied for years and claim it as a write-off. Everybody loses except the scumlords.

by Anonymousreply 340November 22, 2018 12:44 AM

sorry for a link to the NY Post from 4 years ago, but I doubt that much has changed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341November 22, 2018 5:15 AM

R338, it's about landlord/real estate mogul greed, nothing more.

The Village (I'm also including the entire area, Tribeca and Soho too) was always bustling from the 1950s on, besides the residents in these areas, there were always people from the outer boroughs and tourists who kept the area humming.

Years down the line, moderately priced shops such as Canal Jeans, I. Buss, Unique Clothing Warehouse, National Wholesale Liquidators as well as all the great indie record and book shops along St. Marks and 8th Street were always packed with customers, now they're ALL gone. Tower even closed. That was the last nail in the coffin.

Why mention "White fright/flight ( from the cities to the burbs) during the 1960s and 1970s included major divestment of services in New York City , closed storefronts was one indication of a depressed, flagging and failing economy and failing city." White flight/fright had absolutely NOTHING to do with the destruction of so many areas of NYC, even if those white people moved, there were always people shopping and living downtown. The downtown areas was always vibrant.

Most of the types of white people who left Brooklyn and Queens for the suburbs in the 1960s and 1970s were hardly the types who regularly frequented the Village.

What we're seeing now is all about greedy already quite wealthy real estate people needing to become billionaires, they aren't satisfied being millionaires anymore. It's all about greed and the game of the accumulation of more wealth, pure and simple.

One of my neighborhood's last small mom & pop diners closed a few years ago, only to be replaced by yet another ugly boxey apartment building. Lord knows the area needed yet more ugly buildings! DeBlasio and Cuomo are not even able to deal with a rundown incompetent subway system, yet are giving huge tax breaks to real estate people and allowing them to keep putting up buildings in neighborhoods which cannot absorb the extra residents.

The next NYC area up for destruction and yet more homogenized blandness is LIC, Amazon will cause the rents to soar (some rents are already prohibitive), cause more mom & pop business to close, cause already high real estate taxes to get even higher and basically not help any of the longtime local people DeBlasio and Cuomo claim Amazon will hire.

The 25,000 jobs mentioned will likely be for highly skilled tech people, not for the under/unemployed in the three surrounding sets of NYCHA projects. If that's the case, why does Amazon need such a large building? The area was initially projected to be used for affordable housing, a school and needed businesses!

I assume Amazon's LIC complex was also going to have a distribution center. As usual, New Yorkers are not getting the full story. We are screwed once again. So much for DeBlasio's fake Socialist man-of-the-people stance. He's as full of shit as the rest of them!

by Anonymousreply 342November 22, 2018 11:01 AM

I've only ever heard of having hot Ribena when you've got a sore throat. It's great for sore throats.

by Anonymousreply 343November 22, 2018 11:06 AM

Who's the guy in R327's pic? He's cute.

by Anonymousreply 344November 22, 2018 12:02 PM

R343 Ribena has two or three artificial sweeteners now, so I wouldn't recommend heating it.

by Anonymousreply 345November 22, 2018 12:28 PM

[quote]Who's the guy in [R327]'s pic? He's cute.

Answer: Omg is that Riz making a welcome return to this thread @[R327]?

Yes, it's English actor Riz Ahmed. He's hot and a lot of fun! He's funny, super charming and blunt. He doesn't hold back, he would probably tell Nicky to shove her Bangers and Mash up her rancid old ass!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346November 22, 2018 12:47 PM

[quote]Yes, it's English actor Riz Ahmed. He's hot and a lot of fun! He's funny, super charming and blunt. He doesn't hold back, he would probably tell Nicky to shove her Bangers and Mash up her rancid old ass!

Oh, God - here we again.

by Anonymousreply 347November 22, 2018 12:55 PM

** I meant Here WE go again**

by Anonymousreply 348November 22, 2018 12:55 PM

[quote]Oh, God - here we again.

STFU already. There is something called: IGNORE. Got eat a few pounds of some fried turkey or a huge bowl of stuffing, anything to get you away from this thread! .

by Anonymousreply 349November 22, 2018 12:58 PM

[quote]you can get full english breakfast at any british bar in the city and there are so many!

Who wants to go to a BAR for breakfast?

by Anonymousreply 350November 22, 2018 12:59 PM

[quote]Who's the guy in [[R327]]'s pic? He's cute.

Asking this was a MISTAKE. A BIG mistake.

by Anonymousreply 351November 22, 2018 1:01 PM

This cunt with the Riz Ahmed obsession is the worst thing ever to happen to the DL.

by Anonymousreply 352November 22, 2018 1:03 PM

[quote]STFU already. There is something called: IGNORE. Got eat a few pounds of some fried turkey or a huge bowl of stuffing, anything to get you away from this thread! .

Gurl, I'm the fucking OP. Go start your own fucking thread about Riz if you're so enamoured.

by Anonymousreply 353November 22, 2018 1:04 PM

[quote]This cunt with the Riz Ahmed obsession is the worst thing ever to happen to the DL.

Aint that the truth!

by Anonymousreply 354November 22, 2018 1:06 PM

In the meantime, they're quarter way there:-

[bold]$25,000 of $100,000 goal- Raised by 440 people in 7 days[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 355November 22, 2018 1:09 PM

Manatus, a diner for 20 years on Bleecker closed thanks to doubling rent. Still empty after four years. Building owner has many properties. By refusing to rent can claim he's losing money, which becomes a tax deduction. Greed with a capital "G."

by Anonymousreply 356November 22, 2018 1:09 PM

This past August I counted 21 shuttered storefronts on Bleecker St between Bank St and Sixth Ave. That's almost two per block.

by Anonymousreply 357November 22, 2018 1:17 PM

R357 or anyone else know if Distinctive Furnishings is still on Bleecker?

by Anonymousreply 358November 22, 2018 1:37 PM

r357 its an eyesore. why does this not scream , 'inner city ghetto'! ? shuttered storefronts once indicated innercity decay, not anymore?

madison avenue also has dozens of empty storefronts, it looks neglected and incongruous with the super high end shops that remain.

by Anonymousreply 359November 22, 2018 1:39 PM

[quote]Gurl, I'm the fucking OP. Go start your own fucking thread about Riz if you're so enamoured.

[quote]This cunt with the Riz Ahmed obsession is the worst thing ever to happen to the DL.

[quote]Asking this was a MISTAKE. A BIG mistake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360November 22, 2018 2:14 PM

I emailed Bignose about this thread....i hope she steps inside.

by Anonymousreply 361November 22, 2018 3:57 PM

Uh-oh... I simply can't wait. It's not as though we don't have enough cunts on here already!

by Anonymousreply 362November 22, 2018 4:00 PM

[quote]I emailed Bignose about this thread....i hope she steps inside.

You should NOT have done that.

by Anonymousreply 363November 22, 2018 4:11 PM

Actually, second thoughts, it might make her see sense.

by Anonymousreply 364November 22, 2018 4:12 PM

Shame her into giving the money back or to a worthy charity.

by Anonymousreply 365November 22, 2018 4:17 PM

[quote]You should NOT have done that.

Who are you, the fucking DL Hall Monitor? What is she going to do? This is an anonymous forum. Nicky hasn't tried to get her horrible Yelp reviews taken down.

Wow, over these past few years, DL has sure become uptight and prissy! This thread must be filled with lots of newbies and control freaks!

Who are these people going off the deep end because some posters went OT a bit, then there's someone chastising a poster who contacted Nicky as well as commenting on many other posts. Posts which seem to annoy a certain persnickety anal contingent in this thread.

Are some of you actually sure you belong on DL?

by Anonymousreply 366November 22, 2018 4:56 PM

This frizzy cow should have her business shut down by the city, by the sounds of those roaches.

by Anonymousreply 367November 23, 2018 1:17 AM

I wonder why her husband sticks around. Surely, he could find someone nicer.

by Anonymousreply 368November 23, 2018 2:35 AM

[quote]Manatus, a diner for 20 years on Bleecker closed thanks to doubling rent.

Manatus was also very gay friendly. I was sad to see its decline and closure.

by Anonymousreply 369November 23, 2018 2:38 AM

There are better English tea places than this one. The rules are just fucking ridiculous and it's not even relaxing. you're crammed in there and rushed out. This is not the place you come to relax and have a nice cup of English tea.

by Anonymousreply 370November 23, 2018 7:02 AM

[quote]There are better English tea places than this one.

link please

by Anonymousreply 371November 23, 2018 7:56 AM

[quote]Manatus was also very gay friendly.

So are most places in the West Village (bit stupid not to be). So is Nicky.

by Anonymousreply 372November 23, 2018 7:57 AM

[R366]

Whoa,i just thought it might make her change some things if she was aware of the chatter.I didn't know I broke "code"...... I mean if she can stay in business, shouldn't she clean her mess up....first. Anyway,i guess i should mind my business better.

by Anonymousreply 373November 23, 2018 10:07 AM

R173, so you thought that she has no idea of what people say about her place?

If she does not it is because she has not sought that information out. But suddenly, you are going to change her. You will enlighten her and she is going to care about the impact of her poor service.

"I had no idea that when I treated people rudely that they would not return to my restaurant. I did not know that people would be upset by being confronted by a list of rules before they even enter the restaurant. This will change everything. Thank you, Datalounge, for holding up the mirror. I never really understood the impact of my behavior before I saw it described in an anonymous internet forum."

by Anonymousreply 374November 23, 2018 12:24 PM

It'd make more sense to email Riz about this thread. If anyone can talk sense into her, it's Riz. At any rate, it is our mission here on DL to change the world with our pointless bitchery.

Now if you'll excuse me I must tweet at Trump about the things we are saying about his son. Maybe if he knew how unhappy Barron is, he'd change and become a better man.

by Anonymousreply 375November 23, 2018 12:45 PM

[quote]Yes, it's English actor Riz Ahmed. He's hot and a lot of fun! He's funny, super charming and blunt.

Riz, you in danger, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 376November 23, 2018 1:16 PM

Yes we need to arrange for Riz to sit down with Nicky and make her have that Damascene moment. If anyone can do it, it's our Riz.

by Anonymousreply 377November 23, 2018 1:20 PM

Riz is the right guy for the job.

by Anonymousreply 378November 23, 2018 1:22 PM

The British might like to drink tea but they sure as fuck don't know how to make it. I lived in London in the 80s and their tea was shit.

by Anonymousreply 379November 23, 2018 1:23 PM

[quote]Yes, it's English actor Riz Ahmed. He's hot and a lot of fun! He's funny, super charming and blunt.

Um...not so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380November 23, 2018 1:23 PM

[quote]The British might like to drink tea but they sure as fuck don't know how to make it. I lived in London in the 80s and their tea was shit.

The Americans might like to drink coffee but they sure as fuck don't know how to make it. I lived in NY in the 80s and their coffee was shit.

by Anonymousreply 381November 23, 2018 1:26 PM

I would say British tea tastes like dish water. Have no idea how so many people got bamboozled into this English teacher shit.

by Anonymousreply 382November 23, 2018 1:42 PM

Seems Riz is also a rapper. Wow!

Bet his music is fantastic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383November 23, 2018 1:47 PM

Yes R379/R382 but of course you Americans do EVERYTHING better, as you incessantly remind us. And you speak English properly and we do not. An Irish friend is fond of the joke :"What does American coffee and being in a canoe have in common?" "They're both very close to water."

by Anonymousreply 384November 23, 2018 1:54 PM

I live in the neighborhood. It's sad that they may close. Many of the small one-off shops. restaurants and cafes are closing. Lots of empty storefronts. Two Boots Pizza just closed. Gourmet Garage is closing. The Village Den (Diner) closed and is now an awful "fast casual" grain bowl place fronted by Queer Eye Antoni. (He doesn't run it and is involved in name only)

I've always liked Tea and Sympathy. It's a nice place to go for dinner on a winter night. Nicky is cranky, but I think she's funny. I've always had polite service when I go there, the food is good and the waitstaff are nice.

The thing with YELP reviews is that people are more inclined to leave reviews when they're unhappy with the service. There's usually a line to get into T&S, so they do something right.

As for the GoFundMe, I think it's odd, but they can try what the want to survive. Closing is inevitable and it's another sad loss for the neighborhood. I don't understand the economics. Why it's better for a landlord to have an empty storefront with no income than an existing business paying somewhat lower rent than the landlord thinks is 'market value'. The T&S stores are all tiny and I can't imagine what kind of business can go into them that will be able to sustain a huge rent. Also, it sucks to walk down a block with a bunch of vacant store fronts. There are a lot of empty store fronts in the neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 385November 23, 2018 2:14 PM

Manhattan in the 21st century has all the charm and authenticity of Las Vegas. All it lacks is slot machines and Keno.

by Anonymousreply 386November 23, 2018 2:15 PM

[quote]An Irish friend is fond of the joke :"What does American coffee and being in a canoe have in common?" "They're both very close to water."

Here's an old American restaurant joke. What's the difference between a European and a canoe? A canoe tips.

by Anonymousreply 387November 23, 2018 2:50 PM

[quote]Bet his music is fantastic.

Actually his music is quite good. He's been rapping, and he can also sing, over 10 years. He just sold out two gigs, in NYC and at the Southbank. SRO, he must be doing something right. All paying customers and a handful of famous people. London mayor Sadiq Khan was there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388November 23, 2018 3:35 PM

What's different between NYC and London, although London is often brought up when talking about losing places to high rent, is that in London the empty shops seem to get filled in pretty quickly....in the better parts of the city at least.

by Anonymousreply 389November 23, 2018 3:55 PM

That army navy store is also closing on 8th street and 6th ave. I went there a few weeks ago to see it since I remember it from my college days. There was nothing worth buying in the store at all and overpriced. No wonder they are closing.

by Anonymousreply 390November 23, 2018 3:59 PM

It's masses of money to ask for and offer NOTHING in return. It's a fucking business. Not people rescuing baby dollface elephants in India. $100,0000 is a LOT of money.

by Anonymousreply 391November 23, 2018 4:02 PM

[quote]That army navy store is also closing on 8th street and 6th ave. I went there a few weeks ago to see it since I remember it from my college days. There was nothing worth buying in the store at all and overpriced. No wonder they are closing.

There was on on the corner of Christopher & Bleecker where I (& many a DLer, I'm sure) used to buy practically all my clothes. That went in the 90s. This has been going on for years in NYC. I went back to NY in '97 and couldn't believe what had been lost.

by Anonymousreply 392November 23, 2018 4:05 PM

I wish I could unsee that photo @ R388.

I don't see the appeal of Riz AT ALL.

by Anonymousreply 393November 23, 2018 4:10 PM

Looks like the paps caught our boy Riz out drinking tea so yes he would definitely be up for talking some sense into Nicky. Have any of you tweeted Riz to ask him yet? I'd do it but I don't want to bother him if someone else already has asked him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394November 23, 2018 4:11 PM

[quote] I don't see the appeal of Riz AT ALL.

He's ethnic, but unlike minorities in the US, he is very sophisticated because he has a British accent.

by Anonymousreply 395November 23, 2018 4:15 PM

I'm sorry, R394, but I have to correct you. I know someone who knows Riz and Riz is not a turtle. Riz is smart, hilarious, super funny, and doesn't suffer fools, but Riz is not a turtle. If Riz were, I would have heard about it. Riz does like tea, however. My friend who knows Riz told me that Riz is very particular about china patterns and that Riz has been known to deploy a savage wit, wicked tongue, and waspish remark when served tea in anything but Mikasa Golden Legend. Oh, that Riz! I'm 99.9999% certain that gossip about Riz's china preference has gotten twisted and that's why you mistakenly believe Riz to be a turtle.

Whatever the case, I'll be forwarding this thread to Riz's friend because Riz may want to issue an official statement regarding this alleged turtlehood. Knowing what I know of Riz, Riz will not like being mistaken for a turtle. Riz is adorable, cuddly, uproariously funny, down to earth, kind, generous, honest, blunt, and a breath of fresh air, but Riz is not a turtle.

OMG!! Instead of a issuing a statement, can you imagine if Riz raps about it?!??!?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396November 23, 2018 4:47 PM

I live in the neighborhood and I'm going to start hanging around this place. If this woman is as big of a bitch as she seems, her husband may be missing out in the marital bed. I can take him to my place and give him succor.

by Anonymousreply 397November 23, 2018 4:58 PM

Good idea, r397. And with any luck you might just see Riz one day!

by Anonymousreply 398November 23, 2018 5:03 PM

r398, chav doesn't ring my chimes. I'll leave Riz to the less fortunate. It's the least I can do.

by Anonymousreply 399November 23, 2018 5:07 PM

[R397]

Big Nose would give you a fat lip.Do you lot really want a row with a woman that size.An if you do,please film it for us......

I seriously doubt her husband would leave her,and i wonder if those mean girls serving aren't hired by him....?The tarts don't care....like they know they can't be fired

by Anonymousreply 400November 23, 2018 5:08 PM

[quote]I seriously doubt her husband would leave her

I don't want her husband to leave her. I just want him to come over to my place for an hour or two every once in awhile.

I'm a New Yorker. I interact with women like that every day. And I actually prefer having a row with a woman like that. She's all hot air and when you give her a good smack, she'll shut up for awhile. It's these skinny, vocal fry Carrie Bradshaw bitches that are the worst. They have zero self worth and there's no teaching them how to behave in public.

by Anonymousreply 401November 23, 2018 5:17 PM

The money's rising much more slowly now.

[bold]$25,333 of $100,000 goal - Raised by 448 people in 9 days[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 402November 23, 2018 5:34 PM

The husband seems to be nuts about her.

by Anonymousreply 403November 23, 2018 5:36 PM

[quote]The thing with YELP reviews is that people are more inclined to leave reviews when they're unhappy with the service. There's usually a line to get into T&S, so they do something right.

There are tons of positive ones. They just don't play well to this particular audience.

by Anonymousreply 404November 23, 2018 5:39 PM

[quote] Horrible greedy landlords can leave spaces unoccupied for years and claim it as a write-off. Everybody loses except the scumlords.

NYC should revisit some of those commercial occupancy laws.

[quote]The Democratic Senator's office found multiple [bold]examples of landlords pushing out local businesses — often in the hope of attracting a corporate chain that could handle the increasing rents.[/bold] That's led to a glut of empty storefronts, the report found.

[quote]The report also includes a number of legislative solutions to address the problem. Among them would be the creation of a New York City Legacy Business Registry, implementation of retail zoning restrictions for chain stores, and [bold]phasing out of tax deductions for landlords with persistent vacancies.[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405November 23, 2018 5:44 PM

[quote]chav doesn't ring my chimes. I'll leave Riz to the less fortunate. It's the least I can do.

Nicky is the actual chav here. Riz went to a private school, then to Oxford. He's hardly a 'chav'.

Amazing how so many draw conclusions about others without knowing a damn thing about them. Typical DL bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 406November 23, 2018 5:50 PM

R388 SO FUCKING WHAT?

by Anonymousreply 407November 23, 2018 5:53 PM

You've got such a fangay crush on him you're not seeing him clearly. He's a CHAV.

by Anonymousreply 408November 23, 2018 5:53 PM

R406 Nicky is from Blackheath. Blackheath is one of the poshest areas of London. She ain't no chav.

by Anonymousreply 409November 23, 2018 5:55 PM

Blackheath has always depressed me and is miles away from anywhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410November 23, 2018 5:56 PM

[quote]You've got such a fangay crush on him you're not seeing him clearly. He's a CHAV.

Why would anyone consider an intelligent educated person a chav? You're just a shit-stirrer, likely here to argue because the thread has gone a bit OT.

Or this is about being typically British? The Brits LOVE to take people down who are are doing well. The Brits are very odd about celebrities and fame, they enjoy keeping the famous in their place. They never allow them to forget their roots!

Especially if someone from a working class background betters themselves or achieves any sort of fame. The Brits do this to everyone who achieves fame, whether it be a footballer, a celebrity, a writer, well, basically anyone. "Stay in your lane", seems to be a British mantra!

by Anonymousreply 411November 23, 2018 6:01 PM

[quote]Blackheath is one of the poshest areas of London. She ain't no chav.

You misunderstood. She's from Blackpool. As chav as they come.

by Anonymousreply 412November 23, 2018 6:01 PM

[quote]You misunderstood. She's from Blackpool. As chav as they come.

I didn't misunderstand anything, the poster called Riz a chav. "You've got such a fangay crush on him you're not seeing him clearly. He's a CHAV."

I already agreed that Nicky was a chav. She even LOOKS the part.

by Anonymousreply 413November 23, 2018 6:17 PM

[quote]You're just a shit-stirrer, likely here to argue because the thread has gone a bit OT.

I wonder how that happened.

Here's a clue >

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414November 23, 2018 6:26 PM

R414, you are definitely a DL newbie. Most, if not, ALL DL threads do go OT.

STFU already. Damn, are you tedious.

btw, I don't have a problem with beavers, they are industrious creatures. Keep posting more photos of them. Knock yourself out!

by Anonymousreply 415November 23, 2018 6:55 PM

So Blackpool is not known for brawlers

Nikki looks like she can thump

by Anonymousreply 416November 23, 2018 8:09 PM

[R401]

I love your moxy love,but that woman is at least 250 pounds and quite tall......

I doubt she is a pushover

by Anonymousreply 417November 23, 2018 8:16 PM

Perhaps Nicky needs to hire this charismatic fellow?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418November 23, 2018 11:47 PM

In a "market-driven economy", rents decrease when there is a glut of inventory. This is not true in 2018, rents have increased even as the inventory ( empty storefronts) have increased, that's the mystery to unravel.

in 2018, dozens of empty stores ( in prime retail stomping grounds including Madison Avenue) no longer indicate the city is in decline or struggling even with blocks, and blocks of empty shops which remain empty for years.

But back then, the "inner" cities back during the 1960s and 1970s were deemed to be decaying and subsequently were deliberately underfunded because white people (and businesses) moved away.

Closed storefronts and businesses back then meant "STAY AWAY" as the city was described as going broke without the tax revenue needed to fund its enormous infrastructure (which includes the MTA an agency currently taking a beating in the press along with NYCHA).

This infrastructure includes the police department, violent crime was considered to be lurking on every street corner and nyc was unsafe for white people to raise their families in.

It's bad for business to have empty and shuttered storefronts for years on end. In what universe is it good to have a busy (a successful restaurant) close because they could not afford a significant rent increase only to have that property remain unrented for years?

The loss of these businesses means a loss of valuable tax revenue, (in sales tax from customers along with the taxes the city would receive from landowners).

by Anonymousreply 419November 23, 2018 11:48 PM

Exactly R339, and those places do not overcharge you if you just want to order tea, coffee, and a dessert, do not force you to buy an entire overpriced 3 course meal, or wait outside for other people who you are meeting like tea and sympathy has been doing for decades.

But as someone who lived and traveled throughout the UK, and other regions of Europe, British food is some of Europe's worst food.

by Anonymousreply 420November 24, 2018 12:39 AM

R411 gay men do this as well...heck so do most narcissistic fame whores online.

by Anonymousreply 421November 24, 2018 12:42 AM

American here.

American coffee is absolute shit. The only people on the planet who know how to make good coffee are the Italians.

Tea in England is wonderful. Strong, tasty and delicious. Americans dip their tea bags in the water for thirty seconds and think that's "tea." It's not, it's shit. British tea bags (if you use bags) are twice as big as American ones and the tea is twice as flavorful. And it's to be steeped 4-5 minutes (but not more). Add milk and it's fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 422November 24, 2018 1:32 AM

[quote] The only people on the planet who know how to make good coffee are the Italians.

That's simply not true. My friend was hanging out with Riz at his place and he made my friend a coffee. My friend said that it was the best coffee he's ever had-- and my friend has been to Italy three times. So much for Riz being a chav... He's an absolute treasure, and also a great guy! By the way... here's a picture of the adorable Riz drinking coffee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423November 24, 2018 1:44 AM

Imagine what $25K would do for an elephant hospital.

Whereas this cafe will eat up that money with nothing to show for it.

by Anonymousreply 424November 24, 2018 1:49 AM

Seems it's already been saved once - by Cynthia Nixon.

[quote]In 2014, the owner of 110-112 Greenwich Avenue sold the building that houses A Salt and Battery and Carry on Tea & Sympathy. Ms. Perry was panicked about her rent going up and mentioned it to Ms. Parker...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425November 24, 2018 9:53 AM

What would Nicky do if you go in there and "accidentally" break a teapot? Asking for a friend . . .

by Anonymousreply 426November 24, 2018 1:15 PM

R425, did you even read the article?

by Anonymousreply 427November 24, 2018 1:16 PM

[quote]What would Nicky do if you go in there and "accidentally" break a teapot? Asking for a friend . . .

Nicky would likely tag another $200 on to you're already over-priced check! She's already charging extra for one slice of tomato, extra toasting on the bread and the roaches!

by Anonymousreply 428November 24, 2018 1:26 PM

You all seriously want a go at Nicky It might not end like you all think She is a big one

by Anonymousreply 429November 24, 2018 1:33 PM

By the way... here's a picture of the adorable Riz drinking coffee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430November 24, 2018 11:15 PM

[quote]American coffee is absolute shit.

Granted.

[quote]The only people on the planet who know how to make good coffee are the Italians.

*cough* *bullshit*

by Anonymousreply 431November 24, 2018 11:25 PM

That fucking RIZ troll. Shit.

by Anonymousreply 432November 25, 2018 12:15 AM

[R431]

Correction coffee makes you shyyt....its gross

by Anonymousreply 433November 25, 2018 12:24 AM

west village is bad, but lower east side is just as bad with the empty store fronts. I went there today to shop and half the stores are not rented. It's quit dead. And it's the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 434November 25, 2018 7:04 AM

[quote]That fucking RIZ troll. Shit.

There's nothing worse than an annoyed DL poster. 😂 🤣 😂 🤣 😂 🤣

Once they don't agree with another poster, they will relentlessly trail that poster's ass all over the forums.

Give it a rest. Riz is cool, you don't have to like him, think he's cute or whatever. How about you simply do not reply? 'Pass on through', adults have the capability to do that. Try it sometime.

Namaste!

by Anonymousreply 435November 25, 2018 11:52 AM

I miss the Beav.

by Anonymousreply 436November 25, 2018 12:26 PM

R435 - you could also "Give it a rest".

by Anonymousreply 437November 25, 2018 12:28 PM

[quote]I miss the Beav.

Gurl, he didn't go anywhere. The Beav is the Riz Troll.

by Anonymousreply 438November 25, 2018 12:29 PM

I am totally LOVING how so many angry snowflakes in this thread are TRIGGERED by a skinny English/South Asian Oxford educated actor with big soulful eyes and amazing acting talent.

Rizzy probably makes a much better cup of tea than Big Nose Beast Nicky! His background demands it! 😀 😁 😂 🤣😀 😁 😂 🤣

by Anonymousreply 439November 25, 2018 2:13 PM

Quit the Rizzing and go find us some more bad reviews.

by Anonymousreply 440November 25, 2018 2:15 PM

[quote]Gurl, he didn't go anywhere. The Beav is the Riz Troll.

I'm certainly NOT the person who posted photos of those cute beavers. Your attempt at stalking is an epic failure.

by Anonymousreply 441November 25, 2018 2:16 PM

God you're stupid.

by Anonymousreply 442November 25, 2018 2:17 PM

You get the wrong end of the stick about everything.

by Anonymousreply 443November 25, 2018 2:18 PM

Yes, he's VERY stupid. I think we've clarified that.

by Anonymousreply 444November 25, 2018 2:30 PM

More tea about Tea & Sociopathy!

by Anonymousreply 445November 25, 2018 2:36 PM

But he's also character.

by Anonymousreply 446November 25, 2018 2:41 PM

[quote]Yes, he's VERY stupid. I think we've clarified that.

Wow, how original, name calling! How adult of you vicious bitter old trolls.

I reckon the median age of the old bitter posters in this thread is about 65-75 and beyond. Shouldn't you all be securing your place in an old age home?

by Anonymousreply 447November 25, 2018 3:19 PM

Fuck off, Riz Ahmed Loon.

by Anonymousreply 448November 25, 2018 5:23 PM

Free business plan:

Move to a new location

Shut down souvenir shop and take it online

Incorporate fish and chip shop into main cafe business

Simples.

by Anonymousreply 449November 25, 2018 6:24 PM

Whoa! It's leapt up again:

[bold]$30,350 of $100,000 goal - Raised by 474 people in 11 days[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 450November 25, 2018 10:58 PM

I am incensed this money is going to a business in one of the world's most successful cities and not to a charity. Honestly, a Gofundme for a failing business?! Shame! Whoever mentioned the sheer gall akin to the owners of Amy's Baking Co. are right.

by Anonymousreply 451November 25, 2018 11:21 PM

I wouldn't worry too much, R451. Even with a temp cash influx that space will be a combined Chase ATM/designer handbag store within a year.

by Anonymousreply 452November 26, 2018 12:06 AM

Looks like Nicky's had her rent increased and has realised she needs to find $100k to cover the next 12 months while she works out what she's going to do next.

by Anonymousreply 453November 26, 2018 12:21 AM

She is gonna close. coz the rent will keep going up.

by Anonymousreply 454November 26, 2018 1:41 AM

[quote]Friday: $25,333 of $100,000 goal - Raised by 448 people in 9 days

[quote]Sunday: $30,350 of $100,000 goal - Raised by 474 people in 11 days

Wow! As of Friday, the average contribution was $56.54. For the 26 new contributors between Friday and Sunday, the average contribution was $192.96.

I wonder why the average amount suddenly jumped so high.

by Anonymousreply 455November 26, 2018 2:09 AM

Maybe they had publicity in some fancy magazine/website.

by Anonymousreply 456November 26, 2018 2:11 AM

It just hit The New York Post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 457November 26, 2018 2:13 AM

[quote]The Tex-Mex restaurant Tortilla Flats closed last month after 35 years.

That's a shame. I loved that place.

by Anonymousreply 458November 26, 2018 2:18 AM

from Gofundme

[quote]Sending love. Everyone open your pockets the way Nicky does her heart! Xo

Plus pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459November 26, 2018 2:28 AM

Nicky gives hope:

[quote]I donated because Tea & Sympathy has been there for me through so many times, good and bad. And Nicky gives me hope that we will survive the current political madness in the U.S

by Anonymousreply 460November 26, 2018 2:30 AM

It's time for a hand-made soap store.

by Anonymousreply 461November 26, 2018 2:36 AM

or Belgian Chocolates - they always survive a crisis.

by Anonymousreply 462November 26, 2018 2:38 AM

The best baristas in the world are Australians and New Zealanders.

Her husband has nice eyes.

Isn't Riz Ahmed from Birmingham?

by Anonymousreply 463November 26, 2018 2:39 AM

[quote]Isn't Riz Ahmed from Birmingham?

DON'T bring him up. You'll encourage you know who.

by Anonymousreply 464November 26, 2018 2:40 AM

I hope they stay open long enough for her to kick out a few of the suckers who donated.

Well, as long as they cry about it on Yelp, that is.

by Anonymousreply 465November 26, 2018 2:58 AM

Perhaps Riz Ahmed could save the day?

by Anonymousreply 466November 26, 2018 5:51 PM

Now I want some Party Rings. Thanks a lot, DL.

by Anonymousreply 467November 27, 2018 12:25 AM

It's one thing if a beloved business faces a sudden, unexpected expense. My local coffeeshop did a Gofundme when their landlord wanted to sell their building. They raised enough money for a down payment, but still (hopefully) can pay the mortgage themselves. But if your business can't make its regular payments without donations, then just pack it in. It wasn't meant to be. Move on.

by Anonymousreply 468November 27, 2018 12:28 AM

This is a good video about T&S - so I thought to post it here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 469November 27, 2018 7:05 AM

And how much did our dear, dear couple manage to raise for themselves?

by Anonymousreply 470December 3, 2018 5:02 PM

[bold]$38,491 of $100,000 goal - Raised by 610 people in 25 days[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 471December 10, 2018 1:36 PM

Jenji Kohan donated $500.

by Anonymousreply 472December 10, 2018 1:40 PM

R423 and R439 did Riz ever visit this overpriced cafe in NYC? If so, what happened? Isn't he in some TV ad for tic-tac breath mints now?

by Anonymousreply 473December 10, 2018 2:03 PM

[quote][R423] and [R439] did Riz ever visit this overpriced cafe in NYC?

Oh, PLEASE don't get him activated.

Let sleeping bores lie.

by Anonymousreply 474December 10, 2018 3:45 PM

Well Bignose might just pull through.She survives this and things will get worse I bet.

by Anonymousreply 475December 10, 2018 7:10 PM

Sort of a relic. My mom used to love that place as she could get foods she remembered from her year abroad in London (and I think she just liked the whole British atmosphere.)

It was a fun place when I was a kid, mostly because there was nothing like it and you got to hear a lot of people with British accents, and I'd been to London a few times and all, but back then that area was pretty undeveloped, not the touristy-trendy "Meatpacking District" and there was no Amazon or Whole Foods so you couldn't get most of what they carried delivered in two days or less.

by Anonymousreply 476December 10, 2018 7:35 PM

^^and other than the McVities cookies and Cadbury chocolate bars, no one would eat any of the stuff she'd buy and then she'd wind up throwing it out, lol

by Anonymousreply 477December 10, 2018 7:37 PM

R477 what else did she buy that nobody ate? Besides jellied eels.

by Anonymousreply 478December 11, 2018 5:03 AM

UPDATE:

[bold]$41,978 of $100,000 goal -Raised by 682 people in 1 month[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 479January 5, 2019 3:26 AM

Is this crusty dump closed yet?

Glenn Tilbrook sends his love!

by Anonymousreply 480January 5, 2019 3:31 AM

No, very much alive and kicking, R480.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 481February 6, 2019 6:54 PM

What a dirty filthy cramped hovel, amazing what tourists, and clueless NYC transplants, think passes for a British tea experience. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 482February 9, 2019 9:10 PM

If they had thought to change their name to the Amazon Cafe then the state and city would give them all the money then want

by Anonymousreply 483February 9, 2019 9:30 PM

they may have to move their shops to the outer boroughs.

but i still can not understand why rows of shuttered storefronts arent considered a blight in an otherwise prosperous hood

by Anonymousreply 484February 11, 2019 1:13 AM

Their fabrics and china are horrible.

by Anonymousreply 485February 11, 2019 2:13 AM

Does she charge extra for the roaches in her scones?

by Anonymousreply 486February 11, 2019 5:34 AM

Exactly R482.

by Anonymousreply 487February 24, 2019 9:33 AM

How's their GoFundMe going?

by Anonymousreply 488February 24, 2019 9:42 AM

See for yourself, R488

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 489February 24, 2019 1:03 PM

[quote]Unfortunately, it is likely to become another branch of a bank. So many of these smaller, interesting businesses are priced out of the rental market. They all seem to turn into Banks. It’s sad.

and here in London we're losing our banks.

by Anonymousreply 490February 24, 2019 1:07 PM

Is this joint still open?

by Anonymousreply 491June 15, 2019 7:17 PM

Still hanging on, barely.

by Anonymousreply 492June 15, 2019 7:20 PM

R484 The rich landlords don't care about the beauty of their neighborhood only about money.

by Anonymousreply 493June 15, 2019 7:21 PM

R472 I hate her with a passion, she's a cunt. Now I hate her even more.

by Anonymousreply 494June 15, 2019 7:23 PM

Of all the really valuable places we’ve lost in the West Village, this place is way down the list. Support what’s still there - the gay bars, diners, laundry places, gay shops. Places that add value to the neighborhood - not for tourists.

by Anonymousreply 495June 15, 2019 7:30 PM

I know Bonbonnierre is nothing but a greasg spoon but If it shut down I’d be very depressed.

by Anonymousreply 496June 15, 2019 7:58 PM

GREASY spoon, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 497June 15, 2019 7:59 PM

Any real New Yorker, especially a native, will tell you that "greasy spoons," Greek diners, or, as we call them, "coffee shops," are the heart of this city. It eats away at the soul of the place just a little more every time one is lost to greed, gentrification, or a Starbucks.

by Anonymousreply 498June 15, 2019 8:14 PM

the owners sound like obnoxious cunts but thats beside the point.

im trying to understand how x row of shuttered stores , street after street of unrented spaces isn't problematic.

by Anonymousreply 499June 16, 2019 12:15 PM

So they haven’t reached even half their goal in 7 months and yet they’re still open? I thought it was an emergency and they needed this money right away to stay open.

by Anonymousreply 500June 16, 2019 1:16 PM

[quote]I thought it was an emergency and they needed this money right away to stay open.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but I thought their intention was to close the place and bugger off back to England with the money and without even a "So long, suckers!" to their benefactors.

by Anonymousreply 501June 16, 2019 3:16 PM

R500 I am guessing the cunt owner who is a narcissistic bitch will take any money she can scam out of people. Narciccists love to do this.

by Anonymousreply 502June 24, 2019 5:26 AM

Never a fan of this place.

by Anonymousreply 503June 24, 2019 5:35 AM

They probably need to cut back to ONE business.

Got too big for their boots and can't fund their business "lifestyle".

BIG SHOTS!

by Anonymousreply 504June 24, 2019 5:39 AM

[quote]Unfortunately, it is likely to become another branch of a bank. So many of these smaller, interesting businesses are priced out of the rental market. They all seem to turn into Banks. It’s sad.

Whereas here in London we're losing all our bricks and mortar banks.

by Anonymousreply 505June 24, 2019 5:47 AM

The UK does not want the owners back. The place sounds like a tourist trap for Midwesterners or people who have never been to a very large city like NYC, or who have never been to a pub or local traditional restaurants in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 506June 24, 2019 10:35 PM

NO - R506, lots of locals go.

by Anonymousreply 507June 25, 2019 12:49 AM

Can we have an up-date please from people in the know?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508October 15, 2019 3:47 PM

Has anyone been to this cafe recently?

by Anonymousreply 509October 16, 2019 2:30 PM

Nicky's young enough she may have to get a regular job when her businesses crash and burn, which is inevitable. People like her are the worst. She's been used to ordering people around for over decades. She won't platy well with others.

by Anonymousreply 510October 16, 2019 5:59 PM

Could a NYC DLer please go there and report back? Better still if you buy a cup of tea and monopolize a table for hours, like the French used to do in their cafes over a mini-expresso.

by Anonymousreply 511October 16, 2019 6:21 PM

Any updates on the horrible Nicky?

by Anonymousreply 512October 19, 2019 4:04 PM

[quote] Could a NYC DLer please go there and report back? Better still if you buy a cup of tea and monopolize a table for hours, like the French used to do in their cafes over a mini-expresso.

No one wants to go, which just shows what cowardly bitches you really are.

by Anonymousreply 513October 19, 2019 4:47 PM

[quote] our rent which for our three businesses is a whopping $28,000 per month plus real estate taxes which as landlords refinance the building increase yearly

If they are renting, why are they paying real estate taxes? Aren't taxes the responsibility of the landlord, not the tenet? I mean landlords might raise the rent to cover the taxes, but isn't it strange to pay rent plus real estate taxes?

by Anonymousreply 514October 19, 2019 4:56 PM

What has happened to the money she has aleady raised?

by Anonymousreply 515October 19, 2019 5:04 PM

R514 landlords of retail spaces often off-load their responsibility for the building on the tenant, even maintenance for the building, insurance, etc, it depends on the rental agreement.

by Anonymousreply 516October 19, 2019 5:45 PM

I don't think she can touch the money until the goal is met. If it isn't, that cash all gets returned to the donors. If it is met, doesn't 1/3 go to GoFundMe?

by Anonymousreply 517October 19, 2019 5:46 PM

R516 I can understand maintenance for longterm tenets, but taxes and building insurance should be the responsibility of the owners. Are the landlords paying for anything?

by Anonymousreply 518October 19, 2019 6:08 PM

The place is still open. I walked past it this afternoon. People waiting for an empty table.

by Anonymousreply 519October 19, 2019 10:16 PM

R519 Didn't you even go in just to ask for a glass of water or ask to use the 'loo'?

by Anonymousreply 520October 19, 2019 10:28 PM

Agreed R11, if they have the funds and do not want to see it close and love the place, then so be it, donate, it is there money.

by Anonymousreply 521October 19, 2019 10:31 PM

The place couldn't have been in that much jeopardy. The Go Fund Me page was set up almost a full year ago, and it's still open. I smell scam.

by Anonymousreply 522October 19, 2019 10:33 PM

R522 It's a scam.

by Anonymousreply 523October 19, 2019 10:38 PM

R522

Barely half of the $100k goal has been reached, and until that happens T&S doesn't get a penny of those GFM donations.

They aimed too high and now either will have to wait and hope.

Many GFM campaigns start off like gangbusters, then begin to slow or even die down once initial publicity passes.

by Anonymousreply 524October 19, 2019 11:03 PM

Seems very odd that you don't get a penny until the full amount is received....so they ended up taking a gamble and lost.

by Anonymousreply 525October 19, 2019 11:07 PM

As a West Villager, I can tell you that Nicki is not well-liked. She's arrogant and wants everything her way, berates customers who don't abide by her rules. Her businesses deserves to fail, the sooner the better. Then she can go back to the UK.

by Anonymousreply 526October 19, 2019 11:36 PM

Just checked GFM's website, and appears may have been incorrect. There does seem to be no requirement a campaign reach target goals before withdrawals may commence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527October 19, 2019 11:36 PM

Thanks, R526-I was shocked at the video interviews of her. She can barely contain her contempt for the people around her. I can't imagine how she stays in business.

by Anonymousreply 528October 19, 2019 11:55 PM

R527 So how much has that woman taken already?

by Anonymousreply 529October 19, 2019 11:57 PM

so is the place shutting down or what?

I don't know how they stay open, workers must be all illegals or working under the table.

by Anonymousreply 530October 19, 2019 11:58 PM

yeah, gofundme goes directly into your bank or PayPal account. you don't have to reach your goal at all.

by Anonymousreply 531October 19, 2019 11:59 PM

[quote] workers must be all illegals or working under the table

Not in NYC, surely?!?

by Anonymousreply 532October 19, 2019 11:59 PM

T&S isn't Claridges

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 533October 20, 2019 12:02 AM

Looking at that clip R533, Nicky's dump has come very close to Claridges these days. I guess they both provide doggie bags now. Gross. The only difference seems to be the location and the type of cockroaches (by which I mean Russians, Ukranians, Georgians, Mingrelians and others sporting brown shoes with blue pants).

by Anonymousreply 534October 20, 2019 12:23 AM

R534

Well that's the problem with London today, all the wrong people have money.

To think Claridge's went from Empress Eugenie and Queen Victoria to Boris and Natasha.

Still the place had a good run. Someone has to pay to keep that pile standing and open.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535October 20, 2019 12:40 AM

R535 I did not think that we would ever be speaking about Claridges in this thread about "Fancy British NYC café is doing a gofundme to survive" but (not your fault) here we are. Nicky should take over Claridges then tell the NYC landlord to fuck off with his taxes: I'm Nicky of Claridge, tremble!

In my case, with Claridges, I used to find the dress code for tea a bit much, so I stopped going; I gather that I was not alone and they had to find another clientele and I assume they weren't going to insist on the dress code for their new clientele; so they have - no dress code and a new clientele with whom I would not sit down to tea (with apologies for the shorthand). It's a bit of a conundrum for Claridges, which used to be the very good. Other places like the Ritz have had a similar problem; the smaller places like Browns are now less formal but they don't have the tourists, thankfully.

by Anonymousreply 536October 20, 2019 1:01 AM

To put everyone in the picture who have not been to Browns............

Dress code does seem rather reasonable, one must have standards.

"The English Tea Room requests that guests adhere to the smart casual dress code. Trainers, t-shirts, shorts and sportswear are not permitted. Gentlemen are requested to wear a collared shirt but are not required to wear a jacket and tie (no jeans, no trainers, no collar less shirts)."

I mean if you leave things go you'd have a place full of Americans in shorts, trainers, sweat pants and vests clogging up the place. Where is the glamour and ambiance in that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537October 20, 2019 1:12 AM

R537 Browns are just as desperate: serving afternoon tea from 12 noon until 5.30pm for £55 is absurd. They don't expect any business from the locals. 'Afternoon Tea' at the Ritz on this site is even more ridiculous. Years ago when asked about teatime, you said no one knows the exact time; but we were being skittish. But teatime was never 11.30 am to 7.30 pm in London, I suppose now the Ritz is saying that it must be teatime somewere in the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 538October 20, 2019 1:32 AM

It looks like the last time anyone donated was about two months ago. Bitch is going down.

by Anonymousreply 539October 20, 2019 2:04 AM

[quote]I mean if you leave things go you'd have a place full of Americans in shorts, trainers, sweat pants and vests clogging up the place. Where is the glamour and ambiance in that?

This is why they started enforcing the dress code. In the 1980s, American tourists started showing up in sweat pants and track suits. I was at Brown's one time and saw a group of Texans come in wearing western wear: cowboy hats, jeans and cowboy boots.

I'm not sure when it happened, but suddenly every frau in America had to do "high tea." And you tell the dummies that what they are being served is called "afternoon tea" and they still call it "high tea." So the fancy places started charging high prices for a pot of tea, a cucumber sandwich and a bun and all those fraus took the bait and paid for it, because well, the Queen does it so why shouldn't they?

And that's why Nicki can charge $20 and be nasty for the shit that she serves.

by Anonymousreply 540October 20, 2019 2:09 AM

R538

Luncheon (or dinner depending upon one's background) is from 12 noon until 1:30 p.m or maybe a bit later depending upon how long one can stretch things.

Tea came about as a way for a peckish duchess to survive interval between luncheon and dinner (later usually wasn't until 8PM for upper classes).

Suppose at this point Browns is going for the tourist trade anyway who don't know the difference, nor really care.

by Anonymousreply 541October 20, 2019 2:11 AM

If am being honest would rather prefer a good drinks party with nibbles after work over "tea" any day.

Well suppose if someone had a flask they passed around at tea.......

by Anonymousreply 542October 20, 2019 2:17 AM

R540

It came about thanks to PBS showing all those British dramas like Mapp and Lucia, Upstairs/Downstairs, Downton Abbey, Duchess of Duke Street and so on. Pile on cheap air fares to Europe and there you are....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543October 20, 2019 2:21 AM

Back on topic:

Problem for T&S is New York city much less USA doesn't have a strong connection with tea. When you get right down to it the place is nothing more than a food place with a British leaning twist. Fair enough one supposes, but again it needs a large enough demographic to support the endeavor.

Unlike GB where tea (and associated nibbles) are found everywhere from sidewalk cafes to high end hotels, T&S just doesn't have that base.

Obviously a tea place part of hotel can absorb costs better than a stand alone joint. There are many good tea places in London/GB that manage, Nicky's problems however are far deeper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 544October 20, 2019 2:30 AM

T&S should become pie shop! Nicky ought to capitalize on current state of surroundings, her own often gruff manner and do a Mrs. Lovett!

Everyone loves pies, fruit, meat, savory, etc... far more than tea I shouldn't wonder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545October 20, 2019 2:34 AM

It must be difficult to turn a profit. Tea & Sympathy is a tiny place. It only has about 6 tables.

by Anonymousreply 546October 20, 2019 2:36 AM

R546-thus abusing paying customers and continually moving them around and kicking them out while they're still eating.

by Anonymousreply 547October 20, 2019 2:52 AM

Why doesn't she just move somewhere we she can operate a larger restaurant? It might not be Manhattan, but surely she can find space where she can turn over more tables.

by Anonymousreply 548October 20, 2019 3:09 AM

R546

T&S has two sister locations IIRC, and does take away as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 549October 20, 2019 3:11 AM

R548

Where would that be in Manhattan below say 86th street or even 57th street.

Restaurants/food places are dropping like flies here in city for many reasons. Chiefly high cost of doing business which includes but not is limited to rents.

Larger space means greater rent, more butts to get in seats, then turn over those seats quickly, etc....

T&S like similar businesses works in West Village, Chelsea, Soho, Tribeca, East Village, etc.. (or used to anyway) due to nature of area.

Suppose the thing *might* work on UWS but I dunno. Columbus and Amsterdam avenue restaurants are closing at a brisk pace as well. Ditto for those on side streets.

T&S is not alone; plenty of small businesses of all sorts are simply vanishing all over city, especially in pricey areas of Manhattan. This now pretty much includes most of Harlem all the way down to FiDi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550October 20, 2019 3:18 AM

R548

Where would that be in Manhattan below say 86th street or even 57th street.

Restaurants/food places are dropping like flies here in city for many reasons. Chiefly high cost of doing business which includes but not is limited to rents.

Larger space means greater rent, more butts to get in seats, then turn over those seats quickly, etc....

T&S like similar businesses works in West Village, Chelsea, Soho, Tribeca, East Village, etc.. (or used to anyway) due to nature of area.

Suppose the thing *might* work on UWS but I dunno. Columbus and Amsterdam avenue restaurants are closing at a brisk pace as well. Ditto for those on side streets.

T&S is not alone; plenty of small businesses of all sorts are simply vanishing all over city, especially in pricey areas of Manhattan. This now pretty much includes most of Harlem all the way down to FiDi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551October 20, 2019 3:18 AM

Of course it’s going under. Americans are not interested in shitty British cuisine - even cafe items.

by Anonymousreply 552October 20, 2019 3:19 AM

Bubble and Squeak is revolting. So is a full English breakfast; well first thing in morning anyway.

Bacon, sausages, eggs, black pudding, baked beans, tomatoes and mushrooms are all very well on their own, but not heaped onto a plate together, and certainly not first thing in morning. I've seen faces of grown men grow pale at the sight.

by Anonymousreply 553October 20, 2019 3:24 AM

The Tea & Sympathy people also run the British gift store next to T&S and then the fish and chips takeaway A Salt And Battery. They've made that small stretch of storefronts into Little Britain.

The Upper West Side has Alice's Tea Cup, which, while not British, serves the same "tea and scone" market. They also have a store on the Upper East Side and one in Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 554October 20, 2019 4:20 AM

[quote]Americans are not interested in shitty British cuisine - even cafe items.

They love their preservatives too much, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 555October 20, 2019 8:13 AM

Afternoon tea vs high tea: which are you, duchess or docker?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556October 20, 2019 10:31 AM

[quote] which are you, duchess or docker?

I'm a bit of both, dahling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557October 20, 2019 11:28 AM

Things have clearly worked out for them after all that drama:

[quote]Today we celebrate our 29th Birthday! We wouldn’t be what we are without our incredible staff past and present, the fantastic community around us and of course Nicky & Sean who always have time for a bit of banter and a strong cup of tea.

[quote][bold]To all who have supported us, from the bottom of our hearts, thank you, here’s to the next 29![/bold]

by Anonymousreply 558December 23, 2019 6:31 PM

yet all this continues, with the old fashioned snarky flavor:

"For the people in the back! In case there is any confusion, we have a tiny restaurant, with 10 tables that accommodates 23 people at capacity. We cannot operate this little business with people seated holding tables whilst waiting for the rest of their party. Which is why we have the rules that we have. If your entire party is not present you will not be seated and no-one may join your table. We have a lovely warm shop next door for you to wait in, and lovely benches out the front for you to sit on while you wait."

"These, and the other rules, that enable us to stay in business have been observed by happy regular customers for 29 years this coming December 23rd. Amongst those people who happily observed these rules we count the Dalai Lama and David Bowie.[bold] If you feel that you are more entitled than a living deity or a rock god I'm afraid we'll have to disagree as these rules [/bold] are applied fairly and equally to all. We will now return to our regular programming. Merry Christmas."

by Anonymousreply 559December 23, 2019 6:34 PM

If anyone on DL is still in NYC, what of Nicky Perry and her fancy British café? Have they come through the crisis? Are they open for business again? Is she a bit humbler these days?

by Anonymousreply 560August 12, 2020 12:50 PM

OMG they're still sending money.

$61,849 raised of $100,000 goal

Looks like they got the last laugh.

by Anonymousreply 561August 12, 2020 8:16 PM

Oct 19th 2019 barely half had been raised. So they're crawling along at about $1000 per month. Does the money get returned to sender (they're not going to reach their goal)?

by Anonymousreply 562August 12, 2020 8:26 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 563October 24, 2020 11:32 PM

Wow, it’s been almost two years since they started their GoFundMe and they’re still in business, pandemic and all? Who takes high tea to go?

by Anonymousreply 564October 24, 2020 11:41 PM

Should make their servers do camming! That would bring in the bucks.. 💸

by Anonymousreply 565October 24, 2020 11:44 PM

I heard their tables are out on the sidewalk. Same old rule: can't be seated (on the sidewalk) until you entire party arrives. Except that they have three stores next to one another so the sidewalk is a significant expansion of their operations.

by Anonymousreply 566October 24, 2020 11:44 PM

This was TWO years ago? Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 567October 24, 2020 11:44 PM

Have they been able to access their GoFuckMe money or has the $69K just been sitting there for two years and you can’t get it until the goal is met?

by Anonymousreply 568October 24, 2020 11:47 PM

Given how many businesses went under during the lockdown, it's remarkable that this shitty cafe made it.

by Anonymousreply 569October 24, 2020 11:49 PM

I saw something about them just this week somewhere. The guy was being interviewed. They seem to be doing fine now.

by Anonymousreply 570October 24, 2020 11:53 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571October 24, 2020 11:55 PM

[quote]Have they been able to access their GoFuckMe money or has the $69K just been sitting there for two years and you can’t get it until the goal is met?

[quote]sally field $1,000 (Offline)

THE Sally Field?

[quote]Jane & Brian Edwards $5,000

OMG.

by Anonymousreply 572October 24, 2020 11:56 PM

[quote] Jane & Brian Edwards $5,000

Who?

They claim the Dalai Lama as a patron.

by Anonymousreply 573October 24, 2020 11:58 PM

I have nothing...but I offer them this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 574October 25, 2020 12:02 AM

I can't see any Bird's Custard Powder but they have a lot of other trashy British products so Bird's must be there for sale, surely. I can see black treacle in the pic. The husband was quite good looking when young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575October 25, 2020 12:03 AM

Big mo-fos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576October 25, 2020 12:09 AM

[quote]I saw something about them just this week somewhere. The guy was being interviewed. They seem to be doing fine now.

They were struggling before but now that there’s a pandemic shutting down indoor dining, they’re all of a sudden doing fine?! Are they doing MAJOR takeout and sidewalk business?

by Anonymousreply 577October 25, 2020 12:25 AM

Major sidewalk business x 3 as they have three adjacent stores so the teashop is a vastly increased operation. The fish'n'chip shoppe was always a takeout. They will have to get those heating devices for the sidewalk tea-takers. Plus the 'grocery' where you get your dingy PG Tips tea or your golden syrup was also always buy-and-leave op.

by Anonymousreply 578October 25, 2020 12:30 AM

May I just say that I, for one, adore trashy British food.

by Anonymousreply 579October 25, 2020 12:36 AM

I wonder if they applied for PPE loans or whatever they are called

by Anonymousreply 580October 25, 2020 12:43 AM

R579 is a chav up late.

by Anonymousreply 581October 25, 2020 12:43 AM

Sarah Jessica Parker was always a big fan, so maybe she's kept them in business. I think the fish and chip shop keeps them afloat. The only people that go to the tea shop are British ex pats and tourists.

by Anonymousreply 582October 25, 2020 2:14 AM

R582 Sarah Jessica Parker is neither a British ex pat nor a tourist. You know not what you do, idiot.

by Anonymousreply 583October 25, 2020 2:16 AM

Could a DLer stranded in NYC take a trip over there an report back, pref with pics, on what Nicky is doing? Please?

by Anonymousreply 584October 25, 2020 11:49 PM

[quote]Could a DLer stranded in NYC take a trip over there an report back, pref with pics, on what Nicky is doing? Please?

Hell, no. She can spot a DLer from 100 yards away. She's not happy that you mocked her restaurant and lusted after her husband. Proceed with caution.

by Anonymousreply 585October 26, 2020 12:24 AM

So funny, I was looking at my pinterest earlier and I must have pinned a pic of the husband from when this thread was hot, cos there he was with his sexy eyes an' all.

Their place is in the West Village so he must be used to homos lusting after him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 586October 26, 2020 12:32 AM

His appearance has improved over time. Clearly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 587October 26, 2020 12:35 AM

What are those three things below the shoes? Two pairs of pliers and a grenade? Is this what every British gentleman cannot live without?

by Anonymousreply 588October 26, 2020 6:51 AM

I don't know. Aren't they odd?

by Anonymousreply 589October 26, 2020 10:49 AM

[quote]What are those three things below the shoes? Two pairs of pliers and a grenade?

The middle one is a pair of gardening shears.

by Anonymousreply 590October 26, 2020 12:57 PM

Do they, Mrs and Mr Nicky, vote here now? If so, how? Nicky's a bit of an old fascist: how does that translate politicly in NYC? Not AOC obviously.

by Anonymousreply 591October 28, 2020 11:29 PM

In heighborhood ... they are quite common. The tea room is tiny, shabby & shoddy. iny ay, .shoddy & shabby.

by Anonymousreply 592October 29, 2020 1:10 AM

R592 Pics please we are dying for pics.

by Anonymousreply 593October 29, 2020 1:14 AM

By the way OP, the tea-room is NOT "fancy"fancy." The three small store-fronts are very pedestrian.

by Anonymousreply 594October 29, 2020 1:16 AM

OP (I think) here, it would be called a caff over there. Fancy was Fortnums. Anyone else claim to be OP tell me or I will start Nicky Thread Number II xx

by Anonymousreply 595October 29, 2020 1:20 AM

[quote]Anyone else claim to be OP tell me or I will start Nicky Thread Number II xx

Hello....OP here.

I used "fancy" as in "not ordinary"...not posh or upmarket.

by Anonymousreply 596October 29, 2020 1:29 AM

Cum to think on it, I was not the OP, It all happened a log (sick) ago.

by Anonymousreply 597October 29, 2020 1:34 AM

[quote]Cum to think on it, I was not the OP, It all happened a log (sick) ago.

No, you were NOT.

by Anonymousreply 598October 29, 2020 1:36 AM

Well whoever is the fucking OP better start a suite or I will cunts.

by Anonymousreply 599October 29, 2020 1:49 AM

I don't think it needs another thread, If you want to go ahead,

by Anonymousreply 600October 29, 2020 1:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!