Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fashion Advice for Lesbians

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208December 15, 2018 7:20 PM

Are they in some sort of marching band?

by Anonymousreply 1November 15, 2018 2:02 PM

Project CAFTAN

by Anonymousreply 2November 15, 2018 2:11 PM

Home Depot orange is very flattering.

by Anonymousreply 3November 15, 2018 2:13 PM

Whatever you wear, be certain it doesn't show all that cat hair.

by Anonymousreply 4November 15, 2018 2:13 PM

Stop taking fashion tips from your Uncle Phil in the trailer park.

No, Supercuts is *not* the greatest hair salon, ever.

by Anonymousreply 5November 15, 2018 2:26 PM

Well, they're wearing Starfleet dress uniforms. That's the first problem. Here's how the uniforms are supposed to look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 15, 2018 2:37 PM

Layering of soft, unstructured fabrics in jewel tones. A mustard cardigan draped with a mocha scarf and a rayon, tribal print tank top.

Think Bell Hooks, not bell hop.

by Anonymousreply 7November 15, 2018 3:30 PM

R1, they ARE the marching band!

by Anonymousreply 8November 15, 2018 4:00 PM

They are going where no Lesbian has gone before!

by Anonymousreply 9November 15, 2018 9:07 PM

1) Purge all teal, fuchsia and forest green clothing from your wardrobe.

2) Ditto mom jeans, dad jeans, cargo pants.

3) Next, give away any clothing from North Face, REI and Eddie Bauer.

4) Likewise, any fleece clothing of any kind, any quilted jackets, down vests and so on.

5) Spread out all your hoodies and crew neck sweatshirts and windbreakers with college names, yellow equal signs and Provincetown/Ogunquit labels on your bed. Choose ONE that you are particularly attached to. Keep that and toss the rest.

6) Still have any fanny packs? Those have to go, too. All of them.

7) If you are married or otherwise partnered, pull out of your closet any matching clothing. If you both have the same red plaid flannel shirts or tan khakis, for example, ONE of you gets to keep the item, the other has to toss. Arm wrestle it out.

8) All baseball caps must be burned.

9) Whatever is left, you are free to wear. Work it!

by Anonymousreply 10November 15, 2018 9:43 PM

^^ How exactly do you “work” a tie-dyed Glidden T-shirt and a pair of Crocs?

by Anonymousreply 11November 15, 2018 10:00 PM

I’ll accept the Glidden T, tie-dyed or not. As long as there’s a strong bra underneath. If your boobs are less than half a foot from your waist, you need a bra, or a better bra. But the Crocs? No way.

by Anonymousreply 12November 15, 2018 10:02 PM

Why don't you give your unsolicited advice to someone who cares, like a straight woman?

by Anonymousreply 13November 15, 2018 10:08 PM

It was solicited. See thread title.

by Anonymousreply 14November 15, 2018 10:11 PM

Maxi dresses.

by Anonymousreply 15November 15, 2018 10:12 PM

Any suggestions on evening wear? J have a black tie event to go To In less than 10 days and I haven't been able To find a thing to wear.

I've tried in dresses but I feel Uncomfortable In them. I'm a size 4 so fit isn't a problem but I just feel so strange in one

by Anonymousreply 16November 15, 2018 10:14 PM

R16 Why a gown? What about a black tux? But perhaps with makeup..

by Anonymousreply 17November 15, 2018 10:20 PM

Two words: Tilda Swinton

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 15, 2018 10:26 PM

R16 may I introduce you to the jumpsuit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 15, 2018 10:34 PM

Yes, R16, a suit or jumpsuit seems like the perfect solution! You can butch or femme it up according to your taste.

by Anonymousreply 20November 15, 2018 10:36 PM

R20, does that accessory spectrum run from big flower brooch to chewbacca's suspenders???

by Anonymousreply 21November 15, 2018 10:44 PM

If you're short or stocky a jumpsuit is not the way to go.

by Anonymousreply 22November 15, 2018 11:15 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 15, 2018 11:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 15, 2018 11:20 PM

I think ALL OF US might benefit from R10 's guidelines.

by Anonymousreply 25November 15, 2018 11:55 PM

R16 - may I suggest a black leotard top with full, wide-legged velvet "palazzo" pants? Ballet flats.

Black crystal chandelier earrings if your hair is short. Wear it in a nice low pony/chignon if it isn't. Perhaps some bracelets.

Very easy, pretty and comcomfortable....elegant.

by Anonymousreply 26November 16, 2018 12:26 AM

^^comfortable

by Anonymousreply 27November 16, 2018 12:27 AM

[quote]be certain it doesn't show all that cat hair.

But how else can they signal that they love the pussy?

by Anonymousreply 28November 16, 2018 12:39 AM

R10 is right. And yes, those tips work for all of us.

I’m a hetero female who loves plaid flannel shirts.

by Anonymousreply 29November 16, 2018 12:51 AM

White dress shirt with french cuffs. Half buttoned at bottom, knotted at waste, floor length pencil skirt or palazzo pants, kitten heels. Preferbly mules. Or fitted blazer with skin matching tank in rayon/ silk. Blazer buttoned at waste. Multiple beaded bracelets, roll up sleeves.

by Anonymousreply 30November 16, 2018 1:01 AM

Advice per OP's pic? Diet and exercise.

by Anonymousreply 31November 16, 2018 1:16 AM

I’m slightly off topic here, but I was reading r10’s post and thinking, this can’t possibly be Tim Gunn but I love it, and then I saw your nom de plume. If you are Tim Gunn or are reading this, you are one of my personal heroes. If you’re not, well you’re great too.

Back to the thread: wear makeup, groom the facial hair a bit. Not gobs of makeup but how about some tinted moisturize?

I’m also going to come out of left field here, and support your wearing of sweats and track suits.

by Anonymousreply 32November 16, 2018 1:28 AM

R14, the title requests advice from "fellow gay men" for our "systers." That means the OP is also a gay man. Perhaps you missed a few of your English classes.

Secondly, the way I dress is none of your business. If you don't like it, look elsewhere, such as I do when I see one of you queens in your earrings & caftan & thong undies.

by Anonymousreply 33November 16, 2018 1:57 AM

Okay, I'm not giving up my Crocs. I choose these over comfort food.

by Anonymousreply 34November 16, 2018 2:02 AM

Hey, elderlez, why are you so defensive about the way you dress? If you are happy with yourself, a few gay men giving their views on women’s fashion shouldn’t cause anyone to get so butthurt. Advice is only advice, not a new law. You know, pointless bitchery and whatnot? Lighten up.

Oh, and I love that autocorrect changed bitchery to butchery.

by Anonymousreply 35November 16, 2018 2:17 AM

Don't forget the cane!

by Anonymousreply 36November 16, 2018 4:00 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 16, 2018 7:35 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 16, 2018 7:35 AM

We HEART all diesels and bulldozers!

by Anonymousreply 39November 16, 2018 7:55 AM

It's a thankless task. I'd just follow my target lesbian to REI and anonymously stick this book under the Outback's windshield wiper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 16, 2018 7:56 AM

Kill yourselves, you'll never be fashionable.

by Anonymousreply 41November 16, 2018 8:08 AM

Here's a photo of Elder Lez.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 16, 2018 8:20 AM

Fifty-year-old male eldergay here strongly pro-lesbian. I never give unsolicited advice on fashion to anyone. I generally like the way my lesbian friends dress; most are sporty and preppy with the exception of one very "lipstick" femme. To those above who are gay women, I wouldn't be thrilled by this thread either. To R16, I have recently seen some ladies wearing elegant two-piece ensembles with a skirt, which appear as a one piece dress or gown. Perhaps you could find something like that. If not, I think a tux or a morning suit can look very chic on a lady. Any type of tailcoat can be carried off by a chic lady for evening wear.

by Anonymousreply 43November 16, 2018 8:22 AM

Lesbian... Tailcoats?!

by Anonymousreply 44November 16, 2018 11:18 AM

What about that white getup that Miss Celine Dion shut it down in....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 16, 2018 11:56 AM

R26 Great suggestions for R16!

You may also want to consider shopping at Zara; they have some interesting pieces. Hope you have a great time!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 16, 2018 12:23 PM

It's unfortunate that the model is wearing maribou heels bc now that outfit looks like pajamas.

by Anonymousreply 47November 16, 2018 12:46 PM

Thanks everyone! I've been looking for a tux but can't seem to find one. I really don't want to spend more than 200 on this outfit - cause I probably won't wear it again.

I've been to Macy's and Bloomingdales but I'll go to more stores today

I tried some jumpsuits but I'm a little long waisted and they don't seem to work without feeling like I have a wedgie :) TMI I know

by Anonymousreply 48November 16, 2018 12:54 PM

R48 Best of luck with the shopping doll! Hope you find something you're comfortable in.

by Anonymousreply 49November 16, 2018 1:08 PM

R48 some Spanx might help with that wedgie

by Anonymousreply 50November 16, 2018 3:58 PM

The first Lesbian

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 16, 2018 8:59 PM

Stop eating you fat fucks!

by Anonymousreply 52November 16, 2018 9:36 PM

Well I never!

by Anonymousreply 53November 17, 2018 3:44 AM

Here you are R16 !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 17, 2018 4:03 AM

Pure glamour!

by Anonymousreply 55November 17, 2018 1:26 PM

Health for Lesbians:

Lose weight!

by Anonymousreply 56November 17, 2018 1:30 PM

R54 Tres Erte'!

by Anonymousreply 57November 17, 2018 1:41 PM

God knows they need it!

by Anonymousreply 58November 17, 2018 1:42 PM

Thanks, but I have a very keen sense of fashion informed by the streamlined, basic Japanese aesthetic of 'wabi and sabi' and use my typically lesbian know how to tailor my own clothing in natural tones from high quality fabric. I use scarves and Art Deco jewelry for the occasional pop of color.

The basics are augmented by high quality outdoor clothing to accommodate an active outdoor life which keeps me fit and trim.

You boys wish you dressed, ate, and lived as well as I do, and all on a budget, but I learned to like quality early on and never had the money to afford it. So I learned, like my sisters, to do it for myself.

Elder lez has a point. We don't want or NEED your help after some of those makeovers we've seen you perpetrate on unsuspecting het' women. Thanks, but we'll stick to the basics.

I use scarves and Art Deco jewelry for the occasional pop of color.

by Anonymousreply 59November 17, 2018 2:16 PM

Who am I kidding? I'd love a makeover from Tim Gunn.

by Anonymousreply 60November 17, 2018 2:23 PM

[quote] Bell Hooks

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 61November 17, 2018 2:31 PM

You can never have enough scarves and Art Deco jewellery

by Anonymousreply 62November 17, 2018 2:38 PM

Yes! Gay men must help our lezzie sistuhs. They haven't a clue! So listen up lezzies! There is a lot of sound advice here already.

by Anonymousreply 63November 17, 2018 2:45 PM

Let's all wear Art Deco jewelry!

by Anonymousreply 64November 18, 2018 3:35 AM

I thought R30's advice was good.

Not all women look good in a tux. Having a bit of a v-neck in a shirt is a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 65November 18, 2018 3:42 AM

I'm distressed that I see so few lesbians these days, at least the more butch kind. Where did all the systren go?

Please ignore R26 suggestion about ballet flats. They don't do anyone any favors, particularly if they are on the large side.

Another thing that looks good on no one is bitch glasses.

Don't be afraid to wear leather! Yes, I know that at least 50% of lesbians are vegan and evangelical about it.

I ❤️ you, lesbians!

by Anonymousreply 66November 18, 2018 4:03 AM

Bitch glasses?

by Anonymousreply 67November 18, 2018 4:11 AM

Daytime and evening strap-ons.

by Anonymousreply 68November 18, 2018 4:16 AM

[quote] Bitch glasses?

You know of what I speak. Giant oversize glasses that everyone wears and everyone looks awful in. The Whoredashians are often seen wearing them.

by Anonymousreply 69November 18, 2018 4:21 AM

First, lose a ton of weight. So many obese lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 70November 18, 2018 4:30 AM

Oh goody. Advice that nobody asked for or needed. Exactly what gay men specialize in.

by Anonymousreply 71November 18, 2018 4:41 AM

R66, ballet flats are okay with trim/skinny pants. (Certainly NOT wide-legged, as the poster above you recommended.)

They are a good compromise for lesbians like me who don't want to wear heels.

by Anonymousreply 72November 18, 2018 4:25 PM

r69 oh yeah. I despise those. They're also often worn by rapidly aging "straight" fashion designers.

by Anonymousreply 73November 18, 2018 4:27 PM

r71 = Unfashionable Lesbian

by Anonymousreply 74November 18, 2018 4:27 PM

*Amended to add: Original post. I was thinking about a wide variety of women's body shapes and settled on that recommendation due to the fact that this silhouette would highlight the collarbone/upper back, which is a universally attractive part of the body for most women.

So...Re: Ballet flats with wide-legged pants. My first instinct was heels, but rethought the suggestion due to comfort.

My bad.

by Anonymousreply 75November 18, 2018 4:49 PM

Regarding the shoes, why not a happy medium...slingbacks with a shorter heel (like classic Papagallos), or an opera pump. Any of the Ferragamos the ladies wear with the ribbon-toe design have a heel, but modest...much better than ballet flats I should think.

by Anonymousreply 76November 19, 2018 3:08 AM

I love ballet flats with crops or leggings. Very Audrey.

by Anonymousreply 77November 19, 2018 3:37 AM

They look great with a pencil skirt, too, R77.

by Anonymousreply 78November 19, 2018 2:30 PM

If you're short, or short-waisted, like me, those big palazzoo pants are ridiculous. I last wore a pair of 'elephant' pants in the late 70's and they looked just as stupid on me then as they would now.

I have multiple flats, great boots (cowboy, riding, snow, mud, dress up, etc.) super slippers but not a single pair of high heels. I'll put on lip gloss if the lips are dry, but your straight women and the Ru Pauls of the world can have the torture devices that pass for footwear and the clown get ups.

If there was evidence needed of a conspiracy against women, those shoes would be the place to start. Underwire bras would be next. Poison colored nails? Check. Red shit on the cheeks that looks like you smeared yourself with blood? No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 79November 19, 2018 2:58 PM

I have a friend who is a scrappy, butch lesbian. I don't think she's ever shopped at a department store. She orders really loud, mostly boy's clothing from some online retailer out of Japan. She is in her 40s and people tend to stare at her when she's out in public.

by Anonymousreply 80November 19, 2018 3:10 PM

I was out in public with an old Sikh lady, R80, who had a beard. People actually pointed.

At least I still pluck.

by Anonymousreply 81November 19, 2018 3:14 PM

R79 = "Sensible Shoes" Lesbian

by Anonymousreply 82November 19, 2018 3:16 PM

Can you imagine those girls in OP's pic in stilletto heels, R82? They'd face plant on the first step or the heel would just sigh and collapse without regret, spilling them onto the floor.

by Anonymousreply 83November 19, 2018 3:28 PM

I'm with sensible shoes lesbian.

I'm 5'8 and would never wear palazzo pants.

by Anonymousreply 84November 19, 2018 7:46 PM

I think we can all agree that Lesbians who have facial hair should at least wax that shit.

by Anonymousreply 85November 19, 2018 7:50 PM

I stand by the maxi dress both elegant andunderstated. Forgiving to all body types, especially with a subtle empire waist. Dress it down with a Jean jacket or for a night out with a wrap or suit jacket if you want to de-emphasize the fem. add jewelry for glam or go simple. Hair up or down, both works.

I’m a woman, I’ve been plus size, skinny, pregnant. I’ve pretty much experienced all body types. Now I’m athletic build. Trust me—it flatters all female body types and is comfortable and flattering to all. Simple and reliable. Get a dark blue or black, not too clingy fabric, and you can’t go wrong.

by Anonymousreply 86November 24, 2018 9:15 PM

Save the ballet slippers for the hostess pants. Those velvet palazzos are screaming out for a gorgeous heel

by Anonymousreply 87November 24, 2018 10:50 PM

Do I have to give up my super soft Woolrich flannel shirt? Asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 88December 5, 2018 3:18 AM

OMG, that Garconne Gentlewoman style! I had no idea. Love it!

by Anonymousreply 89December 5, 2018 5:55 AM

It depends r88. Do you look like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90December 5, 2018 5:59 AM

... or more like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91December 5, 2018 6:00 AM

You will pry my Woolrich flannel shirts out of my cold, dead hands!

by Anonymousreply 92December 5, 2018 6:45 AM

I love lacy knit sweaters, swirly skirts and pretty flats (I saw a velvet leopard print slip on flat I have to have) and Imelda Marcos has nothing on me with my shoe closet. Of over 60 pairs of high quality shoes and boots, there is not one pair of heels. I can still walk, run, and chase a goat across the field. I love looking at women who walk in those things, however, and don't get me started on the goddess who dances in them - Beyonce. I wouldn't want her bunions.

by Anonymousreply 93December 5, 2018 1:39 PM

[quote]Blazer buttoned at waste.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 94December 5, 2018 1:46 PM

[quote]chase a goat

Qué?

by Anonymousreply 95December 5, 2018 1:49 PM

[quote]I'm distressed that I see so few lesbians these days, at least the more butch kind. Where did all the systren go?

Gurl, you don't work in a social sciences or STEM university dept, clearly.

by Anonymousreply 96December 5, 2018 1:50 PM

Hi everyone

I forgot about this thread. I ended up getting 3 dresses - one at Macy's that was to be used as a back up. A basic black RALPH Lauren. I wasn't thrilled with it, but didn't have much time.

Then I ordered 2 dresses off Amazon that I liked better. I had them delivered the day before the event (yes I was in a time crunch!)

That morning I ended up at my favorite thrift - and found a gorgeous black Martin Grant dress. I never heard of the designer before but I could tell it was high end. Made in France etc. There was no fitting room so I bought it for 30 dollars and hoped for the best.

Got home and my amazon dresses arrived - one was too long and large, the other too small.

I tried on the Martin Grant dress and it fit perfectly - but it also looked great on! I did a quick google Search and the dress probably retails for 1500 dollars. Score!

So I got nice black heels and looked great!

I returned the other 3 dresses that I never wore.

by Anonymousreply 97December 5, 2018 1:54 PM

^ Glad it worked out. Thanks for updating us.

by Anonymousreply 98December 6, 2018 1:45 PM

Guuuiiirllll

by Anonymousreply 99December 6, 2018 9:16 PM

sure, cunt R98, you're welcome

by Anonymousreply 100December 6, 2018 10:23 PM

Thank you r98 /r99 :)

by Anonymousreply 101December 6, 2018 10:25 PM

Btw r98. - that Martin Grant dress got me a date :)

by Anonymousreply 102December 6, 2018 10:26 PM

R102, with a lady?

by Anonymousreply 103December 6, 2018 10:26 PM

Lesbian here.

You know what style I really don't like--though I see it every single night: very tight pants--tight enough so you can see every curve of thigh and calf--with clunky high-healed short boots that are open-toed. I know I'm old-fashioned, but seeing a boot and then a bunch of painted toe nails at the front of it is always rather jarring for me.

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 104December 6, 2018 10:28 PM

No. r103 .. actually with a attractive wealthy man

I'm a lesbian but.. I figured I'm not getting any younger - so why not? I'm early 40's and desperation has sunken in.

by Anonymousreply 105December 6, 2018 10:29 PM

R104 I hate the open toe boots. It's December - cover your feet! Plus how can you be comfortable in boots with It socks? That would hurt the skin

by Anonymousreply 106December 6, 2018 10:30 PM

R100 um you might be reading sarcasm into that post.

by Anonymousreply 107December 6, 2018 10:37 PM

R105 but will he start an alpaca farm with you??

by Anonymousreply 108December 6, 2018 10:37 PM

Doubt it r105 but he is in the middle Of a new software company start-up - so maybe when he's finished with that I can convince him

by Anonymousreply 109December 6, 2018 10:39 PM

R105, are you trolling or are you serious? I don't know any gay women who are capable of dating men, no matter how lonely they get. Even if he's a pleasant conversationalist, the sex would be impossible.

by Anonymousreply 110December 6, 2018 11:34 PM

I mean, as a gold star lesbian, for me it would be totally impossible to date a man. But, in my real life, I know a few women who call themselves lesbians, but are really bisexuals who lean towards (and very much prefer) women.

by Anonymousreply 111December 6, 2018 11:37 PM

R110 no I'm not trolling. As per sex when you have nerve damage it certain areas sex isn't a factor for me anymore. Granted I didn't always have this - I got it 4 years ago.

So now it's pretty much about companionship and yes I would like some financial security.

by Anonymousreply 112December 6, 2018 11:49 PM

Not the poster you're replying to, but even if your lady parts aren't fully online, his gentleman parts will surely be.

Not to be crude, but....?

by Anonymousreply 113December 7, 2018 12:36 AM

I sincerely wish you the best, then, R105. You might want to ensure that this man understands your situation before you end up alone with him, to avoid any awkwardness or embarrassment that might result (for both of you) from some sort of seduction attempt.

But there's no shame in wanting companionship or security as you get older. I confess that, in some of my lonelier moments, I have wondered whether it would be so terrible to enter into a companionate marriage with a gay man. It would probably be more stable over the long term than a romantic marriage, and we could go to see NYCB together (I adore ballet, but there aren't many lesbians who are interested).

by Anonymousreply 114December 7, 2018 12:57 AM

R114, I love ballet.

We exist.

by Anonymousreply 115December 7, 2018 12:58 AM

R105. This will end in tears.

by Anonymousreply 116December 7, 2018 1:05 AM

R114, thank you. He does know of my injury (I disclosed this when He wanted to dance) his father actually has a similar injury so we talked quite a bit about it

by Anonymousreply 117December 7, 2018 1:10 AM

I am a late 30s lesbian, and I know desperation well. We're getting to be longtime companions.

by Anonymousreply 118December 7, 2018 1:13 AM

Please wear at least light makeup Lesbians.

It doesn't have to be full on drag. Just a bit of eyes and lips. It makes you look so much better and feminine and many of you look like bush pigs.

I'm sorry but you do.

by Anonymousreply 119December 7, 2018 11:50 AM

This thread is timely, so thanks OP.

I’ve just come out of a long depression and my dear sister (real actual sibling, not Syster or gf) is necessarily pushing me to keep moving forward and look to date/socialise/leave the house again..only we have discovered I have nothing to wear out of the house but saggy old harem pants & stretched mens’ tees with scuffed arch-ruining Pumas. I’m a few years off 30 and looking to restart a stalled career in the theater business as well as get a lady, so I can’t go out in the clothes I got...suggestions welcome.

I am dirty blonde, Caucazhe, soft Autumn I think. 5”7, ideal BMI (but sort of soft bodied and not toned), with a belly and thighs. Big feet. 34C-ish. Been called granola and earthy/faerie but I don’t really feel it myself. I like anything but especially Beatniky styles or slightly period dress. Fetish for imperial/military stuff but it’s hard to pull that off without folks calling you a Nazi. I do wear mascara/gloss/light liner and face tint daily and pluck, but I have naturally bushy eyebrows. So far on my rack I have a few great soft long scarves/long pulse warmers & gloves, an awesome round leather Italian tote and some old black skinny jeans from Topshop to work with as a starter base...and that’s about all. Thanks in advance, guys.

by Anonymousreply 120December 7, 2018 12:26 PM

Caucazhe?

by Anonymousreply 121December 7, 2018 12:42 PM

^^Sorry, ‘Caucasian’. Fuckin’ autocorrect lmao

by Anonymousreply 122December 7, 2018 4:14 PM

R120 I'm also into the black skinny jeans and scarves - I know it's probably out of style at this point, but it tends to work well on me.

Just don't wear open toe boots

by Anonymousreply 123December 7, 2018 4:33 PM

R120, I'm going to write tonight. (I'm at lunch right now and just checking in.)

And yes, agree with R123, no open toe boots. Please.

by Anonymousreply 124December 7, 2018 4:36 PM

Oh, god, black skinny jeans and scarves (they are from my years living in Spain, and you will pry them from my cold, dead hands!) is my exact look, as well. Who knew this was a lesbian thing? I thought it was classic beatnik ― is it really out of style?

by Anonymousreply 125December 7, 2018 4:45 PM

R125 - I work in NYC - so it's a toss up. It's not really in style in NYC anymore BUT it is in style In the burbs where I live

The suburbs are always behind in trends

by Anonymousreply 126December 7, 2018 4:59 PM

Someone mentioned opera shoes. You mean like the ones Cher wears to The Met in Moonstruck?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127December 7, 2018 6:32 PM

Oooh, R127, I know the answer to this one! R76 was referring to opera pumps, which are the most formal of all men's shoes. They are for white-tie events (you can google photos of Prince Charles in them), and would be an eccentric choice for a woman. R76 seemed to be suggesting them as a lesbian alternative to the iconic and always appropriate Vara pump by Ferragamo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128December 7, 2018 6:45 PM

For comparison, here is the Vara. I wear these, but my (also lesbian) best friend absolutely hates them. She says they look like frumpy old lady shoes. I think they're timeless and elegant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129December 7, 2018 6:49 PM

This thread is amusing because my glamour lesbian sister has a gf who says she feels like she's in drag in a dress. No way my sister is going to date a slovenly butch.

So she's been taking the gf shopping and they found a style that looks pretty good, IMO, and keeps the gf feeling comfortable Its basically different variations of tunics over skinny trousers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130December 7, 2018 6:51 PM

Evening wear: tunic over trousers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131December 7, 2018 6:54 PM

Cuuuuute R130! Love those shoes!!

by Anonymousreply 132December 7, 2018 6:56 PM

You have to be really thin to look good in the tunic over the tight trousers look.

I'm not fat, but I have broad shoulders, and I couldn't carry it off.

by Anonymousreply 133December 7, 2018 7:01 PM

I would think your shape would be perfect for that style R133. It looked good on Bea Arthur and she was a big, tall girl.

by Anonymousreply 134December 7, 2018 7:08 PM

R134, Bea and I are/were actually the same height: 5'8! (I always thought of her as a giant in comparison to the other ladies.)

But I don't think she had broad shoulders. Let's take a quick look--

(Also, I'm not sure that I want to dress like Dorothy Zbornak. I mean...come on...)

by Anonymousreply 135December 7, 2018 7:12 PM

Lol R135, fair enough.

by Anonymousreply 136December 7, 2018 7:15 PM

R136, I have taken a look--but Bea is evasive: she lived in the time of structured jackets and hella huge shoulder pads. And I cannot take the proportions of that one nude painting of hers seriously.

It's kind of depressing to look at photos of your favorite actors aging.

by Anonymousreply 137December 7, 2018 7:18 PM

R130, I say this with love: No real butch would be caught dead in that ensemble. Perhaps your sister's girlfriend is more of an androgynous or sporty type? That's different from butch.

If you want to see an honest-to-god (and fabulously rich) butch who knew how to dress, look up Joe Carstairs:

[quote]Carstairs lived a colourful life. She usually dressed as a man, had tattooed arms, and loved machines, adventure and speed. Openly lesbian, she had numerous affairs with women, including Dolly Wilde—Oscar Wilde's niece and a fellow ambulance driver from Dublin with whom she had lived in Paris—and a string of actresses, most notably Greta Garbo, Tallulah Bankhead, and Marlene Dietrich.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138December 7, 2018 7:50 PM

In her youth, on a racing boat:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139December 7, 2018 7:51 PM

She looks a bit like Ellen at R139. Hey that's not a bad idea...why don't you Google Ellen at dressy events OP?

by Anonymousreply 140December 7, 2018 8:03 PM

Over the years I've noticed many gay men are non sexually entranced and drawn to super feminine, elegant, beautiful (young + slender) women. Like a freaking moth to a flame.

By the same token it almost physically pains many of you to look upon a fat, plain and masculine woman. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 141December 7, 2018 8:24 PM

R141, the guys (after getting the usual Home Depot and flannel jokes out of their systems) have actually been thoughtful and kind with their advice here. Have you even read it?

Personally, I'm hopelessly attracted to those flannel-wearing Home Depot lesbians, but, as someone on the more feminine and fashion-conscious end of the spectrum, I'm always eager for advice on how to attract them. So I'm enjoying this thread.

by Anonymousreply 142December 7, 2018 8:53 PM

But where does the NYCB fan even run into Home Depot lesbians?

by Anonymousreply 143December 7, 2018 9:36 PM

Lose the weight of the Japaneses whaling fleet will be given unfettered access to all US waters.

by Anonymousreply 144December 7, 2018 9:38 PM

Slow day in the basement, huh OP?

by Anonymousreply 145December 7, 2018 9:39 PM

r145 did you nick yourself whilst grooming your labia?

by Anonymousreply 146December 7, 2018 9:58 PM

R143, she doesn't, nowadays.

She's the daughter of a blue-collar tradesman, and has been eyeballing the Home Depot butches since she was a wee ballet-dancing kid (not in a fancy school, just a local school with an elderly Cecchetti-trained teacher she adored). She has since over-educated herself, and now has working-class sexual tastes combined with highbrow cultural tastes: She longs to get pounded in the sack by a dyke with the calloused hands of a machinist, and then go to see Serenade afterward. It's a real problem for her, dating-wise.

by Anonymousreply 147December 7, 2018 11:30 PM

R147, does she think she might be seeing these faraway objects through roseate field glasses?

I, who live in the suburbs, who often have to drag meself to the Home Depot, know that although they can be charming, they are partial to beer, barbequing, and watching professional sporting events on TV or (even worse) tailgating to professional sporting events. And there's no finite "season," like there is in live theatre: every season has a new sport. This shit never ends.

(Also, doesn't make you the equivalent for rough trade prowling because 1. lesbians have no predilection for real or perceived violence during sexual acts 2. you would probably want to date such a lady for the long term, even if it would be a bumpy relationship.)

by Anonymousreply 148December 8, 2018 12:07 AM

Lesbian Fashion Tip: Ask yourself "would Garbo wear this?". If not toss it/ don't buy it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149December 8, 2018 3:56 AM

So tank tops are a go!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150December 8, 2018 4:13 AM

At the gym, yes. Like Garbo.

by Anonymousreply 151December 8, 2018 5:05 AM

I don't know...I'm seeing an awful lot of gold lame.

And then there's this!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152December 8, 2018 5:14 AM

Last one for the night: in honor of us lesbians--

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153December 8, 2018 5:19 AM

Lez, I'm going to take you up on this--

[quote] Personally, I'm hopelessly attracted to those flannel-wearing Home Depot lesbians, but, as someone on the more feminine and fashion-conscious end of the spectrum, I'm always eager for advice on how to attract them.

The dykiest, "working class" women I know, especially above a certain age--let's call it 45 or 50--are nearly all single. These ladies--and this is unfortunate because some of them are sweethearts--have significant problems finding partners, especially because they want femmes who many times tend to take advantage of their good natures. It's really not hard to attract or land one, though, as we both said, maybe you have trouble meeting them in the city.

Femmes, especially femmes who want butches or who don't mind women with manual labor jobs, are the rarities in my life experience and the experiences of people I know.

by Anonymousreply 154December 8, 2018 6:04 AM

Where did R124 go? I was looking forward to hearing his advice.

by Anonymousreply 155December 8, 2018 8:03 PM

R155, that was me (a she!).

I changed my mind when I took a list at your current wardrobe. As a Florida lesbian, I have no expertise in winter clothes. I think you should let some of your fellow New Yorkers weigh in.

by Anonymousreply 156December 8, 2018 9:02 PM

^^took a look

by Anonymousreply 157December 8, 2018 9:06 PM

Be femme AND buth .... dress a al Coco Chanel. You'll always pass

by Anonymousreply 158December 8, 2018 9:22 PM

^^Coco looked permagood and put-together but she was identifiable from dress as kind of a Na z i . And she hasn’t been relevant in aeons, stylewise.

Who is on the cutting edge for lesbian chic these days? Cara Delvigne, or someone?

by Anonymousreply 159December 8, 2018 9:56 PM

You can't go wrong in a nice pantsuit in a dark shade: butch it, femme it, or androgynize it as much as you want. Versatile for any age and most events, night or day, dress up or down. Don't worry about the brands if that's an issue, go for the best fit within your price range. If more femme leaning accessorize with a scarf and/or statement piece like a brooch or a nice ring.

by Anonymousreply 160December 9, 2018 4:27 AM

The pantsuits are in bloom again

Such a strange outfit

suitable to any occasion.

I wore one on my wedding day

and now I hang it here

in memory of something that has died.

by Anonymousreply 161December 9, 2018 4:37 AM

For corporate lipsticks 35 and over, the Elaine Barrish look is hot yet polished.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162December 9, 2018 10:20 AM

Stop dressing like little boys. Why do so many lesbians do this? You dont see gay men dressing like little girls in a serious way, its only for camp our humor or media shock value attention whoring. In daily life its not what most gay men do to attract other gay men or how they usually dress going out when they want to look good.

For the few who really do love dressing up like Bobby Trendy, they are the same ones complaining that guys are too shallow, racist or whatever because no one want to fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 163December 9, 2018 10:56 AM

^^I see more FTM/“queer” women dressed that way than actual gay women.

by Anonymousreply 164December 9, 2018 12:40 PM

What do you mean "dressing up like little boys"? Some of the clothing is designed to identify yourself as gay to other lesbians. For example, these shoes are part of the "uniform": (MUST be black with white laces.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165December 9, 2018 4:56 PM

Isn't the point of this thread to help lesbians break out of stereo typical fashion choices? Stay away from those shoes at all costs and opt for a variation of the ballet flat, or in summer a flat espadrille You're female, ladies. Enjoy it!

by Anonymousreply 166December 9, 2018 5:07 PM

Dear fellow lesbians,

Wear whatever the fuck you want. You are allowed to make your own choices without being harangued by the "femininity" brigade.

by Anonymousreply 167December 9, 2018 5:19 PM

R166 = my mom?

by Anonymousreply 168December 9, 2018 8:21 PM

Sailor pants. That is all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169December 9, 2018 8:46 PM

On Garbo:

[quote] She followed Valentina’s dictate: to “dress for the century, not the moment”....she got an idea and she did it forever.

I’m a lesbian obsessed with ‘30s looks and I’m searching for a perfect trench as we speak. It’s all in the undergarments, the hat and coat, I feel. But what about Spring/Summer wear? Or attire for the country?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170December 10, 2018 12:32 PM

The sailor pant is timeless. Beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 171December 10, 2018 2:33 PM

To the 30s lesbian, I will comment when I get home tonight.

Other lesbian

by Anonymousreply 172December 10, 2018 5:10 PM

R172, are you home yet?

by Anonymousreply 173December 11, 2018 12:41 AM

I'm the ballet-loving lesbian, and am eagerly awaiting this discussion of 1930s fashion. A trench coat is a must-have; I'd go so far as to say that a good one can save your entire look. I've given up on finding one that fits properly (the Burberry ones I tried on would have required further tailoring), but have learned that certain tailors are able to make them for you. I'm considering driving to D.C. just to have this done.

by Anonymousreply 174December 11, 2018 12:53 AM

R173, I'm sitting in Barnes and Noble having a pretzel and hot cocoa. I'm going to look at the home decorating magazines, walk around a bit, then drive home.

Then I shall devote myself to 30s lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 175December 11, 2018 1:14 AM

[quote] I’m a lesbian obsessed with ‘30s looks and I’m searching for a perfect trench as we speak. It’s all in the undergarments, the hat and coat, I feel. But what about Spring/Summer wear? Or attire for the country?

Alrighty...

I mean, can we be honest about something, ladies? When we talk about clothing and stuff, can we be realistic about budgets? I see some mention made of tailored (or even, bespoke) Burberry trenches. Tailored Burberry trenches start at 2k for a computer program to cut it to your inputed measurements, and can go up to 8k. I might be wrong--lord knows I am about many things--but I don't believe that people who can afford many-thousand dollar coats are hanging around on DL. (I can say that I do know and have seen very high quality tailoring up close because I sometimes go shopping with my wealthy father.)

Now then...

For me, 30s clothing*, as far as the fabric goes**, is all about knitwear and weaves (tweeds and herringbone, etc). And also about accessories, scarves in their many types of knots, low profile wrist watches with leather bands, no nail polish, jeweled or pearled gold rings (why not an intaglio Roman profile?), silver cigarette cases (or lighters or calling card holders), hats (knowing which style looks good on your face, but also, knowing which style you can passably carry off in America in 2018), leather shoes (brogues or boots--and those boots better have low-profile soles, and be high-polish chestnut brown).

Most importantly, and before any of the above, deciding on a voluminous style of hair and a ton of product. (This is for the ladies, of course; the men can slick back hair with pomade and a nice side part.) We're living in an age of ugly hair right now: plain bobs (yeah, fine, "asymetrical" is really "cutting edge"), different versions of upsweeps and ponytails, and the horrible ceramic iron. 1930s hair was short, but "set"--ie. put in curlers, heated, teased out, and frozen with spray into shape--with a strong part and lots and lots of bobby pins. So you have to find a hairstyle reminiscent of that--but not exactly like it, because you don't want to look like a period movie extra.

*not including evening and ballwear

**unless you have your clothes made or are handy with a sewing machine, you will have some trouble finding shirts and jackets with the kind of generous lapels and collars that were popular then

***you can have velvet added to the collars of jackets for the "hacking jacket" look

I shall post pictures after I go for my walk

by Anonymousreply 176December 11, 2018 2:45 AM

More fashion talk, please.

by Anonymousreply 177December 13, 2018 1:43 AM

I think this thread died...

by Anonymousreply 178December 13, 2018 2:22 AM

This is a nice look for lesbian ladies: a nicely tailored pant suit with a boot cut leg and low heel (no flats ladies in this) And most important the white shirt with bow at the neck which adds femininity

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179December 13, 2018 2:54 AM

Holy shit, that's so ugly!!!

by Anonymousreply 180December 13, 2018 2:56 AM

r179 that woman could hide behind a rake!

I've been following this thread with interest because I hate clothes and was hoping to spy some advice.

However most of the advice, while interesting, is intended for those lesbians who are either tall, thin or long waisted. Preferably all 3.

Is there another style that is more suited to us older and more "matronly" types?

by Anonymousreply 181December 13, 2018 3:14 AM

I tried to get the 30s styles going, but they died.

by Anonymousreply 182December 13, 2018 3:21 AM

It didn't die, R178, it's just the middle of the workweek.

[quote]I mean, can we be honest about something, ladies? When we talk about clothing and stuff, can we be realistic about budgets? I see some mention made of tailored (or even, bespoke) Burberry trenches. Tailored Burberry trenches start at 2k for a computer program to cut it to your inputed measurements, and can go up to 8k. I might be wrong--lord knows I am about many things--but I don't believe that people who can afford many-thousand dollar coats are hanging around on DL.

R176, I'm the one who mentioned Burberry. It has been said before here on DL, but I'm increasingly convinced that a buy-it-for-life strategy, while it costs more upfront, is ultimately most economical. If I thought I could buy one spring/fall coat, and never need another one until my coffin is lowered into the earth, then, yes, I would pay the Burberry price (2k). But, in chatting with other trench coat fans online, and trying on the coats in the store, I've come to the conclusion that I can get better fit and quality if I either pay to have one made (not by Burberry, but by an independent tailor), or buy from a more obscure retailer (the guys at Ask Andy About Clothes have some great tips). Each of those options is about $700. I don't think that's an insane price for something I plan to wear into the ground over the coming decades.

I loved your advice on 1930s-style fashion. I particularly wish that people still carried silver cigarette lighters and wore hats. I was definitely born in the wrong era.

To bring this comment back around to the topic, one of the reasons that the ideas on this thread are all over the place is because it's hard to pin down "lesbian fashion." Very broadly speaking, yes, we do tend to borrow from men's fashion more freely than straight women do. The "women in comfortable shoes" joke is an old one, but there's truth in it. However, we're an extraordinarily diverse lot. We tend to have broader standards of beauty and desirability than the rest of society (which you gay men, and I say this with love, sometimes seem baffled by), and are more accepting of different body types, sizes, and ages.

On top of all that, our clothing choices can carry a lot of sexual meaning: My work look is no-nonsense and fairly androgynous, but when I'm around other gay women, I will femme it up to the max. Not every woman is drawn to that -- some, like me, are drawn to the opposite -- but there's a real "fuck you" quality to that choice, the choice to play my assigned cultural role only for other women's sexual pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 183December 13, 2018 3:56 AM

R180. How in the world do you find that custom suit by Susanna of Beverly Hills unattractive? The fabrics and tailoring are sublime. Many notable women have their clothes made there. Hillary for instance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184December 13, 2018 4:35 AM

And Mrs. James Brolin, of course.

by Anonymousreply 185December 13, 2018 4:37 AM

Boot cut pants are out. I had all of mine narrowed in the last few years, and wear them with flats now.

by Anonymousreply 186December 13, 2018 4:04 PM

Giving fashion advice to lesbians is like administering medicine to the dead.

by Anonymousreply 187December 13, 2018 4:38 PM

I'll be back later to comment on that outfit.

by Anonymousreply 188December 14, 2018 1:10 AM

That's pretty high-femme, R179. I don't doubt the sublimity of the fabrics and tailoring, but it looks like something Vairst Letty would wear.

by Anonymousreply 189December 14, 2018 1:14 AM

Hillary would wear it so how could it be high femme?

by Anonymousreply 190December 14, 2018 4:55 AM

NO MORE BIRKENSTOCKS!

by Anonymousreply 191December 14, 2018 7:26 PM

You will pry my Birkenstocks from my cold, dead hands, R191, you tool of the patriarchy. I have worn them in drenching tropical rainstorms and in Canadian snow (briefly, lest I lose my toes). I have worn them to school and to work (where I avoided walking past HR). I have repaired them with tape, scissors, glue, and bandaids (yes, I put bandaids onto the shoes themselves). They are still in one piece.

And the Birkenstock website itself calls my black Gizehs "simple, feminine, [and] elegant," so you don't have a sartorial leg to stand on. Try again with some more sensible advice for your systers here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 192December 14, 2018 8:16 PM

Was that outfit at r179 photographed in the mid-oughts? Bootcut pants are DONE.

by Anonymousreply 193December 14, 2018 10:33 PM

What kind of pants are you supposed to wear if you want to wear cowboy boots?

by Anonymousreply 194December 14, 2018 11:02 PM

It looks like you have the option to wear them either under or over jeans; I can't imagine they'd go with any other sort of pants. Femmes can wear them with skirts or dresses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195December 14, 2018 11:06 PM

[quote] What kind of pants are you supposed to wear if you want to wear cowboy boots?

Cowboy jeans.

I live in a wealthy horsey area, and the women (who wear the more English style boots) wear really tight ass, thick pants (not jeans) with them.

by Anonymousreply 196December 15, 2018 12:18 AM

Bootcut pants are timeless. They most certainly are not out of style. In fact Spring 2019 will show a lot of the bootcut and flared pant.

A flared or bootcut pant is particularly flattering for the full-hipped lady who typically looks off balance in a narrow pant unless she is wearing something long over the pant. The flare balances out the fullness of the hips.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197December 15, 2018 2:33 AM

Is R179 and R197 the same person?

by Anonymousreply 198December 15, 2018 3:23 AM

^^^sorry. I meant to write that differently.

by Anonymousreply 199December 15, 2018 3:27 AM

High femme, butch, femme? You ladies really are hopeless.

by Anonymousreply 200December 15, 2018 4:18 PM

R200, for a recluse living on a farm in Colorado, you seem to have a strange amount of faith in your fashion opinions for women.

How do you dress? How much do you spend on your wardrobe?

by Anonymousreply 201December 15, 2018 6:04 PM

R200, those categories don't apply to all lesbians. But, for those of us to whom they do apply, they are very sexually charged. I thought that gay men knew that! To sum up: Butch/femme isn't actually about fashion, or hobbies, or whatnot. It's about fucking, as it's hot as hell.

by Anonymousreply 202December 15, 2018 6:23 PM

I would even go as far as to say butch/femme (as sexual labels) don't even apply to most lesbians anymore.

In fact, a lot of lesbians find this sort of thing very old-fashioned.

by Anonymousreply 203December 15, 2018 6:31 PM

R201. Why, I dress like this. So you can trust me, insipid mal soigne freak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204December 15, 2018 6:39 PM

R201.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205December 15, 2018 6:50 PM

You're right, R203. I amend my post to: "those categories don't apply to most lesbians." But, old-fashioned or not, that dynamic is really erotic for me. I just wanted R200 to know that there's more going on behind those words than he might realize.

by Anonymousreply 206December 15, 2018 6:53 PM

R206, I absolutely agree with you.

The thing is that this kind of thread attracts some lesbians (which is great), but a whole bunch of malcontents on DL who hate women or only the lesbians ones, and who take some sort of snide pleasure in dictating what we should or shouldn't wear--regardless of what they look like or dress like--and can't have a discussion without resorting to cliches or stereotypes. (But perhaps this is because they don't know any lesbians, or any that will speak to them.)

by Anonymousreply 207December 15, 2018 7:19 PM

But that said, I would like to return to talking about 1930s wear--if any of the fellow lesbians are up for it.

by Anonymousreply 208December 15, 2018 7:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!