Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Moving to San Diego

My employer shut down its San Francisco site. I will either be out of a job or will have to relocate to San Diego. At the eldergay age of 57, the thought of job searching is unthinkable. I need to retire within 5 years due to not wanting to work then. I'm a San Francisco/Bay Area native and have only visited San Diego once. Any locals here have advice on where to live and what to do? I hear that Hillcrest is the gayborhood. Republicans and Easy Listening Music .... oh God, should I just die in a grease fire already? I am currently single and have no pets. Hoping to change that. The theme song to "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" is spinning in my head. Hold me?

by Anonymousreply 95December 24, 2018 10:13 AM

There are places a lot worse to live than San Diego.

by Anonymousreply 1November 12, 2018 3:15 AM

[quote] There are places a lot worse to live than San Diego.

Yes, like San Francisco to name one. You should consider yourself luck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2November 12, 2018 3:18 AM

Look at it this way, OP -- San Diego is in the same state. It also has most of the annoyances of home, so that's some comfort.

SD is bland enough for you to make it what you want. Stay near the coast and avoid the shithole eastern suburbs and you'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 3November 12, 2018 3:22 AM

Hillcrest and North Park are the gayborhood. Honestly the City itself is very gay friendly. fI you really like a City feel consider living downtown - Bankers Hill, Cortez Hill, Little Italy and the Harbor area are all good options. It is cheaper than SF so you will get a lot more for your money. The downtown is overbuilt so you should be able to get a deal at this time of the year (meaning some free rent in the newer high rises.)

SD does not have a poop map. But the East VIllage is where you find that...........

by Anonymousreply 4November 12, 2018 3:33 AM

San Diego is beautiful, with gorgeous weather... unlike San Francisco.

It's very, very expensive, and traffic is a nightmare, but it's absolutely beautiful and the weather there is the envy of the world.

by Anonymousreply 5November 12, 2018 4:24 AM

Plus, it's no longer Republican - the city center votes largely Democratic.

by Anonymousreply 6November 12, 2018 4:29 AM

I live outside San Diego and I would highly recommend it!

by Anonymousreply 7November 12, 2018 4:38 AM

You'll be fine, OP. You may even get to like it better than SF and want to stay there. The climate and coastline are fantastic; easy drive down the Baja coast as well. If you own your place in SF, rent it out so you can come back in 5 years if you want to.

by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2018 4:39 AM

Sounds good to me. I'm a SF native, too, Op, and have been to San Diego many times. I love it. Great weather right on the ocean, unlike foggy windy SF and the boring Avenues. I live in the North Bay now (Sonoma County), it's close enough to the greater Bay Area to enjoy the culture and San Diego is a short, reasonably priced flight away. Plus, leaving a job you will retire from in 5 years and trying to find a new one is not a good idea, unless you are supremely employable at 57. San Diego is a wonderful place, music, museums, natural beauty, good food, etc.

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2018 4:46 AM

Drive over to Mexico. The lobster is cheaper there.

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2018 5:18 AM

OP, count your blessings. Your company could be forcing you to choose between unemployment at your age, or a move to Iowa or Calcutta, but they're giving you the option of a very nice California city.

It's a lovely metropolitan area, civilized and comparatively affordable, with beaches and mountains and desert and museums and Tiajuana and other new things to explore. I mean I wouldn't choose to immediately move there and leave everyone I'm close to hundreds of miles away, but if I had to relocate for work, I'd thank my lucky stars if it was San Diego I'd be ending up in and not Baltimore or Sao Paulo. San Diego is nice.

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2018 5:20 AM

Again, the weather in SD is superior to SF's. San Diego has pretty much perfect weather.

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2018 5:32 AM

Thanks, everyone, especially r9. I need to hear what my gut feeling is telling me -- that I am not employable at age 57. There are tons of jobs in my field -- biotech -- but I don't feel confident about hitting the pavement with my resume at this age. Never thought I'd get this old so fast, but here I am. Feeling lucky to have this option, but it will be difficult to leave friends and family and wonderful neighbors. Might be the right time to get a cat or two. The bf thing doesn't seem to be happening.

by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2018 9:19 AM

Marines are thirsty bottoms.

by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2018 10:35 AM

r14 beat me to it, though i was going to suggest seeking employment as rob navarro’s assistant.

by Anonymousreply 15November 12, 2018 10:47 AM

I worked in SD for about a year. I found it dull, people bland and the area generally trashy like the San Fernando Valley. The traffic is terrible, cost of living high. The Mexican food is terrific, however. I couldn’t wait to return to Portland.

by Anonymousreply 16November 12, 2018 10:51 AM

San Diego has koalas! Reason enough to go!

by Anonymousreply 17November 12, 2018 11:07 AM

[quote]I worked in SD for about a year. I found it dull, people bland and the area generally trashy like the San Fernando Valley. The traffic is terrible, cost of living high. The Mexican food is terrific, however. I couldn’t wait to return to Portland.

Is this a joke? I really can't tell.

by Anonymousreply 18November 12, 2018 11:11 AM

My company is relocating to Nashville from NYC. I’m not going. Op, consider yourself lucky

by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2018 11:11 AM

Op, since you’ve been in SF most of your life, consider this an adventure to get to know another part of the state. Sure gay like isn’t as thriving in SD but it’s there. After 5 years, when yes time to retire, consider whether moving back to SF is good or not. That said SF is always available by plane.

by Anonymousreply 20November 12, 2018 11:14 AM

[quote]My company is relocating to Nashville from NYC. I’m not going. Op, consider yourself lucky

Nashville is booming. It's not what you think it is if you've never been there. You are foolish, R19.

by Anonymousreply 21November 12, 2018 11:23 AM

San Diego isn't all that bad, compared to a lot of places. Just DO NOT live too far inland, even though it's cheaper. The wildfires were bad enough back when I lived there, but they're getting worse now.

by Anonymousreply 22November 12, 2018 12:16 PM

Say hi to Grace and Frankie, OP!

by Anonymousreply 23November 12, 2018 12:18 PM

For what it's worth, OP, I found a new job at the age of 63. I envy you the option of moving to San Diego.

by Anonymousreply 24November 12, 2018 12:43 PM

I've visited San Diego a couple of times, enjoyed it. It's a sunny, warm, and nice place from what I could see. There's a large, active gay scene there, and it's probably more affordable than San Francisco, but still expensive by national standards.

by Anonymousreply 25November 12, 2018 12:49 PM

Well at least you won’t be stepping in random SF street shit anymore.

by Anonymousreply 26November 12, 2018 12:53 PM

OP, you have nothing to lose by writing up a resume and throwing it around the Bay Area, or the Biotech industry. Because yes, being forced to move is never fun, and neither is feeling unemployable, so definitely see what your options are.

But I have to say that if it's true that you have to move, you could do a hell of a lot worse in life than to move to San Diego. It's a beautiful city with tons of stuff to do, and if the young people say it's dull, well, what the young people call "dull" we call "livable". I could be quite happy there myself, I'm a nature enthusiast and there's plenty of mountains, coast, and desert for entertainment. And museums and shopping and the zoo and restaurants, and the LA Basin an hour or two away if I want a change of scene.

by Anonymousreply 27November 12, 2018 2:52 PM

Is your company paying for your move, OP? If you find the whole thing overwhelming and too stressful, keep in mind that Xanax is available over the counter just on the other side of the border. I'm another Bay Area native and SF has become a shithole filled with pompous, dull techies who step over the bodies of the homeless to wait for their private shuttle buses. I would jump at a chance to relocate and keep my salary.

by Anonymousreply 28November 12, 2018 3:04 PM

I can't imagine San Diego being as expensive to live in as San Francisco. I love the climate there. You might even save some money to make visits back to SF.

by Anonymousreply 29November 12, 2018 3:07 PM

Red city in a blue state. Very conservative.

by Anonymousreply 30November 12, 2018 3:08 PM

r30 Stop making shit up.

by Anonymousreply 31November 12, 2018 3:17 PM

It's very convenient to Palm Springs for weekend getaways. And you're in the right demographic for PS -- you'll be a mere gayling there!

by Anonymousreply 32November 12, 2018 3:17 PM

My wife and I have lived in San Diego for 5 years. If you like (and have the money) the theater and classical music scene is very good. Being near the ocean is great. Not as expensive as SF but still very expensive - $600K will get you a small condo. Hillcrest is fun and gay but very young. Many many gay politicians in town. Still, many conservatives living there. Not the easiest town to make friends in. Best weather on the planet - rarely goes over 80 degrees or under 60 degrees. Downside - many parts of town are very run down. Big homeless problem downtown. Lot of infrastructure problems. Poor local government. Still - it's better than Los Angeles or SF IMHO. Good luck whatever you decide.

by Anonymousreply 33November 12, 2018 3:31 PM

OP, as other posters have said, this sounds like an opportunity for a lovely 5-year adventure. It would be a much harder choice if you had a partner in SF, but since you've said that the boyfriend situation hasn't worked out for you up north, this is the perfect time to get to know a new group of guys in a new place. You never know what might happen!

I haven't lived in San Diego; I've only visited from LA, where I lived and worked for several years. It's true that SD may feel more conservative and less culturally intriguing than, say, Portland (as mentioned upthread) or downtown LA. However, the number of DLers who have come here to rave about SD says a lot. It's true that the weather is the envy of the world, and the coastline is breathtaking.

And you'd be only a couple of hours from LA. The drive is not quite as easy as it might look on a map ― I definitely wouldn't try it on a weekday ― but it's completely do-able as part of a weekend trip, perhaps to see the LA Philharmonic (currently the best orchestra in America, in my opinion) or visit LACMA.

Regarding employment at 57: If I had a friend that age who were looking for work, I would, of course, provide nothing but encouragement and positivity. But if you're in a position to hold on to your job, and if you only have 5 years to go until retirement, I think the choice is clear. Why risk age discrimination in SF when you have such an exciting alternative laid out in front of you?

Good luck, and please come back to update us after you've decided!

by Anonymousreply 34November 12, 2018 3:57 PM

I wanted to add: Leaving friends, family, and wonderful neighbors is no small thing. But, if you miss them all terribly, you can head right back up to the Bay after you retire (perhaps with a bit of extra money saved up from the lower cost of living in SD). In the meantime, you could put extra effort into nurturing those relationships and keeping them strong.

by Anonymousreply 35November 12, 2018 4:03 PM

Tricky tricky. Change is good. But at your (well, our) age it can be difficult to assemble a new life in a new place... particularly if you are going down there alone. It really doesn't matter how many other people say they love it there, or that it's better than SF. It's whether YOU end up happy there. It's worth giving it a shot but it may not work for you especially after so long in one place. I recently moved from SoCal to NorCal (with my husband) and am having a difficult time adjusting to the difference. and am missing my family of friends in LA.

San Diego is a VERY different place from San Francisco. As I figured out years ago - SD is basically a city for people who love the outdoors -- hit up the beach, go to the park, spend the afternoon on your boat in the bay. SF is an indoors city. Which is not to say you shouldn't do it. But I would be careful to try to maintain your connection to SF in case you hate it in the south. If you own your place in SF -- KEEP IT and rent it out so you can go back if you want. Don't get yourself priced out of SF! If you decide to stay in SD at retirement in a few years your home in SF with almost certainly be as easy to sell then.. Plus you should rent in a new place for awhile so you learn the city and neighborhoods. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 36November 12, 2018 4:53 PM

I was just thinking about the last time I was in San Diego. We took a road trip up the coast past Carlsbad to Oceanside. It is drop a dead gorgeous stretch of road and a nice get away.

by Anonymousreply 37November 12, 2018 5:22 PM

La Jolla is gorgeous. Tons of people live in Carlsbad. I don’t live there but I vacation every summer in San Clemente, southernmost town in Orange County and visit San Diego and La Jolla. There’s also a train to LA. Cheap flights across the state mean you could easily visit SF on weekends.

Come to the Southland!

by Anonymousreply 38November 12, 2018 6:00 PM

It's true, the flights are $120 round-trip. SD to SF is an easy weekend jaunt, if OP needs to see his friends and family often.

by Anonymousreply 39November 12, 2018 6:06 PM

My partner and i moved to SD from NYC five years ago, then moved back to NY two years later. It was rather dull, the weather is nice but got repetitive after a while (except for May gray and June gloom, both periods where it's always overcast).

We visited there for vacation and loved it then, vowing to move there someday. That day came sooner than expected when partner got a job offer there. It was nice to say we've done it, but we're happier on the east coast. Lived in Hillcrest and it just felt like a big strip mall.

Oh, and to the poster upthread who wrote you can get Xanax over the counter in Tijuana, that's not true.

by Anonymousreply 40November 12, 2018 6:26 PM

I have a blister pack of Mexican Xanax on my bedside table that says differently, R40.

by Anonymousreply 41November 12, 2018 6:31 PM

Why not hedge your bets, look for a job before the transfer and maybe find something that allows you to stay in SF if that is your preference.

by Anonymousreply 42November 12, 2018 7:25 PM

Living in SD gives you easy access to Palm Springs, OP. A lifetime of elder gay sex awaits you.

by Anonymousreply 43November 12, 2018 8:02 PM

OP, the nude beaches are only a drive away. San Diego is very gay and us full of gorgeous Marines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 12, 2018 8:06 PM

R21 I agree. I travel to Nashville for work often. People are friendly, the music is great, gay scene improving and the food fantastic. Really, the only city in the South I look forward to visiting.

by Anonymousreply 45November 12, 2018 9:04 PM

There was a pretty good (but negative) SD thread recently. Based on your situation, you can easily do San Diego until retirement. Friends from SF moved here recently. They love it. My advice is to avoid the beach communities-- too many tourists and it gets annoying. Inland a bit isn't too bad. Our traffic is negligible compared to LA and depending on your commute. SD is definitely Blue. Many gay city leaders and CEOs. As others have said, you could be going to Houston or Orlando :(

by Anonymousreply 46November 12, 2018 9:22 PM

Houston's blue. And gay. And far more diverse than San Diego.

by Anonymousreply 47November 12, 2018 10:03 PM

Hosuton is boring and has worse traffic. OP doesn't have to spend the rest of his lifein SD--five years would give plenty of time to see if he wanted to stay there. Not a cultural mecca, but a good place for beach/water activities and not far from mountains and the desert. I'm sure it will seem a bit provincial, frankly SF is inward looking in ways that are pretty pathological.

by Anonymousreply 48November 12, 2018 10:25 PM

Think of all the horrible Flyoverstani towns you could be transferred to OP

CHARLOTTE!!!!

PHOENIX!!!!

OMAHA!!!!

San Diego is fucking paradise.

It's never easy to move when you are 57 and single, but it's a chance to reinvent yourself.

Depending on where your office is, you can consider North County, around Carlsbad and Escondido-- become a beach bum and learn to surf. It's truly beautiful there.

You're also close enough to LA for easy weekend trips. Palm Springs too.

by Anonymousreply 49November 12, 2018 10:31 PM

How could anyone compare Houston to San Diego. Houston has horrible humidity and no zoning laws.

by Anonymousreply 50November 12, 2018 10:42 PM

I think OP should move to San Diego, but I wanted to stop in and defend Houston. Scratch the surface, and Houston is the far more diverse and engaging of the two cities.

by Anonymousreply 51November 12, 2018 10:43 PM

Houston also has that tiny problem with disastrous hurricane flooding that won't be going away anytime soon because climate change.

Also, it's in Texas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 12, 2018 10:46 PM

You're only 140 miles or so from Palm Springs too.

by Anonymousreply 53November 12, 2018 10:50 PM

Ugh. Phoenix by the sea.

by Anonymousreply 54November 12, 2018 11:07 PM

SD is nice, but while it may not be in Bay Area real estate territory, it's very pricey.

A rental may be doable but buying in SD requires 1M, minimum.

[quote] Bankers Hill, Cortez Hill, Little Italy and the Harbor area are all good options

Little Italy is also right near the airport, and the planes go RIGHT over your head there. I almost shit my pants when we were at a restaurant in Little Italy and the plane was taking off - I was convinced it was crashing on us. So, there's that.

by Anonymousreply 55November 12, 2018 11:07 PM

As always, the DL does not disappoint.

I totally get that this is a white peoples' problem. The suggestion that I'm better off taking the job rather than looking for a new one at my age is realistic. Am ready for an adventure, I think. What some others have said about SF is true. The idea of reinventing myself is tempting. No more bumping into ex-boyfriends in the Castro is an added bonus. Proximity to Palm Springs and fellow eldergays is also a plus.

I would be working in La Jolla, so North County could be an option. Love the ocean and beach. Sounds like Hillcrest is more twink-oriented. Although I'm a scientist, I like being around hippy-drippy, artsy-fartsy people. Portland, OR would have been great.

Only have a few weeks to decide. Will be flying down and renting a car soon.

Thanks for all the opinions!

by Anonymousreply 56November 13, 2018 2:29 AM

SD is fine. Nice weather. SF is too fucking expensive and silicon valley has destroyed any of the character. You'll probably be more happier bc of the sun. You can come home from work and dine al fresco, and not freeze your ass off.

by Anonymousreply 57November 13, 2018 3:00 AM

Having to move that late in your career sucks but San Diego isn't that bad and you might even like it. Your employer could have moved somewhere much worse in flyover country. Do your 5 years in San Diego and then if you ain't loving it, move back to San Francisco. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 58November 13, 2018 3:06 AM

At one point, we had four bathhouses. We're now down to one.

by Anonymousreply 59November 13, 2018 3:17 AM

There's a huge science-based employment cluster in La Jolla and in and around UCSD, so you'll be among like-minded colleagues.

by Anonymousreply 60November 13, 2018 3:29 AM

R59 and its a shit hole

by Anonymousreply 61November 13, 2018 4:56 PM

LaJolla isn't exactly Rodeo Drive, but that whole area of SD is super pricey. I love it, but I couldn't find a crumbling, ventless parking garage for the price I pay for my condo now.

The Goodwill in LaJolla is the most glam thing I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure they have valet parking.

by Anonymousreply 62November 13, 2018 8:26 PM

Someone from Portland calling SD trashy?

That’s rich...

by Anonymousreply 63November 14, 2018 4:43 PM

You could move to Julian, CA.

An hour from SD, two from PS.

It's a cute little mountain town. You can open your own pie shop there. I would bet land is cheap and plentiful up thataways.

by Anonymousreply 64November 14, 2018 5:01 PM

It's a done deal. 6 days to process this possible significant life change and was informed today that it is really happening. Going to company sponsored visit at the end of the month, then will drive down xmas week to look at the area in more detail. Surreal.

by Anonymousreply 65November 15, 2018 3:58 AM

Good luck OP. It will take some adjustment but I think you'll be fine. That whole area around UCSD/Scripps is fine. Several good taco stops in Del Mar and Sorrento Valley.

by Anonymousreply 66November 15, 2018 4:01 AM

Good luck, OP. Enjoy the I-5 road trip. Some people hate the drive from SF to southern California, but I have enjoyed it in the past.

by Anonymousreply 67November 15, 2018 5:04 AM

I lived in Oceanside and Carlsbad for a couple of years. Just remember the further out you go from SD proper, the more conservative it gets. North County inland was the birthplace of the John Birch Society back in the day. Does the Lawrence Welk Resort still exist up there? Plus Camp Pendleton in Oceanside separates SD County from Orange County.

I got kinda bored of the weather - nearly the same every day (lived less than a block from the beach). Felt like time wasn’t passing, although tbh that might not be an issue at our age (I’m 55). Every morning was overcast and it burned away by 12 noon. The May Grey/June Gloom marine layer extended to 1-5 like clockwork and no further.

I know this is anathema but I liked Tijuana a lot, esp. the Playas de Tijuana section. Used to drive to Ensenada quite a bit. US has cracked down somewhat on bringing meds from Mexico - if they think you’re a drug tourist they’ll ask for prescriptions from doctors.

I think you’ll have a nice time.

by Anonymousreply 68November 15, 2018 7:06 AM

Don't...

[quote]Dago is an ethnic slur, (UK and Commonwealth) refers to Spaniards, Italians, or Portuguese, derived from the Spanish name "Diego."

You don't want to be racist do you?

by Anonymousreply 69November 15, 2018 7:28 AM

OP, I see a Palm Springs husband in your future.

Keep checking in with the DL as you make this move, svp. I'm genuinely interested to learn about your adventure

by Anonymousreply 70November 15, 2018 11:52 AM

I used to live a few miles inland from La Jolla, where it was more affordable. Be warned, seasonal wildfires were a thing then, and are worse now. Research that in the areas you house hunt.

by Anonymousreply 71November 15, 2018 2:02 PM

I will repeat that La Jolla is GORGEOUS. Even if you can’t afford to live in the neighborhood you will be working by some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

They finally opened the cove to swimmers and I went snorkeling there in August. Incredible. Yes, lots of tourists, but still worth it. Take advantage and snorkel soon because I bet they will close it down due to people disturbing the sea lions. The water was so clear and you could see tons of Garibaldi. leopard sharks go there to breed, check out YouTube videos.

As other posters said, you are actually quite lucky.

by Anonymousreply 72November 15, 2018 2:43 PM

Andrew Conanan was from San Diego, doesn't sound very safe.

by Anonymousreply 73November 16, 2018 2:19 AM

[quote]Does the Lawrence Welk Resort still exist up there?

Sure does. I saw a couple of shows there -- including "The Full Monty," which actually name checks Lawrence Welk!

by Anonymousreply 74November 16, 2018 2:28 AM

Just got back from a week there. I couldn’t help thinking - it’s a nice place to retire. More to do and more interesting than Palm Springs. Ocean sunsets are spectacular. Not as brutally hot as PS.

But coming from NYC, I am worried about getting bored of the perfect weather, bland people and strip mall architecture and environment. And like most of CA, hard to meet people and people tend to be very isolated. I’m thinking it would be better to visit for a month every winter. But if I had to move for work to make it 5 years to regiment , I wouldn’t think twice. A great opportunity. You can always leave after 3 years if you hate it.

by Anonymousreply 75November 18, 2018 4:59 PM

Wow- this thread leaves me speechless. Complaining about moving to San Diego? If that's the only issue in your life at 57, I can't imagine how you'll cope when faced with true hardship. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 76November 18, 2018 5:06 PM

Do you rent in SF, OP? Like others have said if you own, consider keeping and renting it out as a sub-lease if your landlord allows it. I had a loft on Potrero Hill and coincidentally, my neighbors and moved at the same time. I had friends who were looking for a loft and when I told them I was leaving, they asked if I would sub-lease to them, and like an idiot, I said no but that I'd put a good word in with the landlord for them. They got the place but the landlord jacked the rent by $800 a month. My neighbors asked if they could sub-lease, and the landlord said yes and they pocketed the difference between their rent (which was less than mine as they'd lived there longer) and the higher rent (than my/friends' unit) they charged their sub-lessor. They just tell the landlord every year that they think they'll be moving back in another year, and ask that they keep sub-letting the loft... pocketing over $1000 a month in the process.

San Francisco real estate is bonkers.

by Anonymousreply 77November 18, 2018 5:27 PM

San Diego is perfect for middle aged gay men. Not too nightlife- intense but plenty of gay bars and great food. More laid back than LA, SF, NYC. But access to nature and warm weather. Could be boring - but in late middle age, boring is ok. Give me a sunset stroll on the beach, some decent hiking and a nice place for a drink and dinner - that is all I need.

And the eye candy doesn’t hurt - some of the most beautiful men I’ve seen in any city. Of course, mostly straight and lots of military but at this point I’m not looking for sexual encounters as much as an appreciation of beauty - like a naturally athletic blond surfer in a body suit rather than then muscled WeHo queens with attitude in the latest trendy clothing.

by Anonymousreply 78November 18, 2018 5:47 PM

I visited on a business trip 15 years ago and extended my stay through the weekend. Black's Beach and the bath houses had plenty of horny Marines. You can recognize them by their short haircuts and down-to-the-thigh tan-lines. Bottoms, every one of them!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 18, 2018 7:07 PM

Same deal with me - only this time from NYC to fucking Plano Tx...You’re lucky OP

by Anonymousreply 80November 19, 2018 1:02 AM

[Wow- this thread leaves me speechless. Complaining about moving to San Diego? If that's the only issue in your life at 57, I can't imagine how you'll cope when faced with true hardship. Good luck!]

r76, I survived the break-up of a 26 year relationship, unemployment, chemotherapy and radiation, four major surgeries (I had a colostomy bag for almost a year -- talk about indignity), a continuing battle with recurring colorectal cancer which has spread to a kidney, and the recent loss of a beloved sister, who was among the last of my living relatives. The prospect of uprooting my life and being away from long time friends, neighbors, extended family, and doctors with whom I've established close and trusting relationships is somewhat terrifying. My job and my home in SF have been constants. I'm grateful to be alive and have learned to live in the moment with a sense of the absurd. I live in a beautiful city that is free of strip malls. But you're right -- I'm not being sent to a red state -- and am grateful for that, too. Plus, there's always Growler and Scruff for making new friends:)

by Anonymousreply 81November 20, 2018 6:03 AM

Well that was important info OP / R81. If that’s the case, why are you so worried aboutcontinuing to work your current job ? If I had recently gone through such extensive cancer, I would retire at 55. Why do you feel you have to work and make a lot of money for the next 5 years? What you really need is health insurance - which you can get now without a job in CA. Hopefully you have many more years of life, but I wouldn’t be uprooting my life knowing that there is a good chance I won’t make it until 80. Work at Starbucks or a low,wage job for insurance and a minimal income - assuming you have little or nothing saved for retirement.

by Anonymousreply 82November 20, 2018 3:43 PM

Had a blast in San Diego last week, despite the unusual torrential rain, which is needed. Some impressions:

The job site in La Jolla is beautiful -- new buildings with clean, well-organized labs -- and my potential new colleagues were friendly and welcoming. A bit of a sales pitch, but it's nice to be wanted. I saw programs that I could immediately contribute to and areas that I could improve upon and be appreciated, if not promoted. La Jolla cove area looks like Beverly Hills with a beach. Gorgeous, but bland. Unaffordable. No loss.

People I interacted with (shops, on the street, bartenders, hipsters, bears, twinks, etc.) were genuinely friendly. What I saw of the area is so clean. Few crazies and homeless. I would miss some of the characters that SF has. There's ethnic diversity, but not what I'm accustomed to. Only saw a few neighborhoods. Hillcrest or North Park is where I'd like to live. Also saw Downtown, Pacific Beach, Mission Bay, and Banker Hill areas. Did not bother with the burbs, but going to check out Mission Valley next trip.

San Diego feels small. Manageable.

Most spectacular were my friendly and fun Air B&B hosts. They took me out to a bar called Pecs. Full of old bears like me. It would be easy to make friends in this town.

Am ready to leave SF and all of the difficulties of the Bay Area behind, and start the last chapter.

Thanks for the suggestions and coaching. The DL never disappoints and I don't know how to use Reddit.

by Anonymousreply 83December 2, 2018 5:04 PM

Good luck OP on the move! Just make a list and be organized. I'm sure you'll be fine! All the best!

by Anonymousreply 84December 2, 2018 5:22 PM

OP, R83, thanks for the update. Glad you're liking San Diego. I hope you're happy there. Will you keep your place in S.F.?

by Anonymousreply 85December 2, 2018 7:02 PM

And remember, it’s so easy to visit the North when you live in the Southland. I did it for years. I drove, I flew. Flights are fast and cheap. You could easily spend every weekend in SF if you wanted. Glad you’re feeling better sbout the new workplace and people. Best of luck.

by Anonymousreply 86December 2, 2018 8:10 PM

R79 That's Cory and Robbie from Sean Cody .. lol!

by Anonymousreply 87December 2, 2018 8:56 PM

OP at R81 changed everything but I still think that the move will be good for you. SD and SF are so close that you can easily retain your medical providers.

Since you like “hippy dippy” stuff ,I’d recommend a few days at Ocean Beach.” Adjecent to Mission Beach but totally different. Almost like a small beach town within a big city. My partner and I visit from the East Coast several times a year. I would move in a nanosecond, but he’s a Good Son

Times like I’d like to be able to contact OP to invite him for a drink at one of OB’s many dive bars. I’d love to live there.

by Anonymousreply 88December 2, 2018 9:28 PM

I know how to spell “adjacent.” Don’t “Oh Dear” me.

by Anonymousreply 89December 2, 2018 9:30 PM

there is nothing wrong with san diego and real estate is probably 1/3 of what it is in SF. So if you own in SF chances are you can afford a lot more house in san diego. If you want pets usually yards are way bigger in san diego, so another plus. THe weather is perfect in san diego as well. I think you are just overly spoiled living in SF your whole life. San Diego is NOT orange co and is mostly democratic and by the way, even Orange Co isnt republican anymore after kicking the remaining ones to the curb in the mid term.

by Anonymousreply 90December 2, 2018 9:38 PM

OP, glad to hear San Diego. It's close enough to SF that you can easily visit on weekends.

by Anonymousreply 91December 3, 2018 3:44 PM

Update for those who asked: Randomly found an amazing job in SF as a manager of a group doing the type of work I do -- with a 70% salary increase. I mean, WTF?! Am absolutely in shock. It happened so quickly. Haven't even met my new boss in person. He's based in LA and interviewed me over the phone twice. I kept wanting to call him "Charlie". Hehehe. Anyway, I was honest about my weaknesses and he said "no problem, you just delegate... I need someone 'mature' to to lead the group". This is the first time that my age has done anything for my career.

I visited the site and was interviewed by the people who will be reporting to me. I was generally myself, but just acted like a kind supervisor, which is what I hope to be. I made only a few outrageous comments or jokes. They (or enough of them) voted "yes". Might be in over my head, but am not moving to San Diego, after all. Will always wonder what life would have been like there, but am so relieved not to have to uproot everything. Chatted with a few guys online who live there, one of whom I'd fantasized about having a long-term relationship.

In under 5 weeks, I was layed off my job, lost a work family, but offered a position in San Diego, went there, had a blast at some gay bars, but was in culture shock (I'm a shitty driver and walk everywhere and take public transit or Lyft in SF) , resigned to the fact that I was going to live there and have to drive everywhere. Came home and had surgery to remove a kidney tumor and then another procedure to remove precancerous colon polyps. Those were planned long before the lay off notice. Spent less than an hour or two to make sloppy updates to my resume while high on pain meds, made a few clicks to post it to a few places, got a call from HR the next day, phone interview the following day, on-site interview the next week, hired the next day (3 days ago) with a salary that I consider to be decadent. I'm from a white trash background and put myself through college. Had I not lost the job or had to go to SD, would never have gotten off my flabby ass and tried to find another position. My head is spinning.

Will likely work longer hours, but while on this apparent lucky streak, am going to be more assertive with the online dating apps. My life expectancy is not great, but you never know... would be great to come home to someone to cuddle with and be silly.

Thanks to those who posted words of encouragement about moving to SoCal. Might have survived it.

by Anonymousreply 92December 24, 2018 8:25 AM

Something to think about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93December 24, 2018 8:28 AM

Great news, Op; your Karma is cruising! Have a merry Christmas and good luck with the new job.

by Anonymousreply 94December 24, 2018 10:00 AM

Yes, great news. You deserved and got a break!

by Anonymousreply 95December 24, 2018 10:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!