Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's 11am, the 11th day of 11th month.

100th anniversary of end of WWI. Moment of silence to remember.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 11, 2018 11:23 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 11, 2018 3:00 PM

So?

by Anonymousreply 2November 11, 2018 3:03 PM

It's the 11th HOUR, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3November 11, 2018 3:04 PM

Correct, R3. I typed too fast.

by Anonymousreply 4November 11, 2018 3:08 PM

No worries. Any significance to the photos you posted or just representative in general?

by Anonymousreply 5November 11, 2018 3:10 PM

Handsome WWI soldiers for Datalounge audience.

by Anonymousreply 6November 11, 2018 3:13 PM

The Great War, the War to End All Wars. Passchendaele 850,000 dead, Gallipoli, 450,000 dead, Verdun 976,000 dead, Somme 1,220,000 dead, the Spring Offensive 1,850,000 dead. Total military dead in WWI: Approx. 23 million. Total civilian dead: 15-19 million.

And a bit over 20 years later, then were back at it again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 11, 2018 3:14 PM

Downtown Abbey did a very effective episode about the anniversary this day. They showed veterans and their widows and orphans going to the local cemetery and there was a ceremony as they unveiled a memorial in the graveyard for the local fallen. They also did an episode for the end of the war itself, where the household gathered and had a moment of silence to remember the fallen.

I was glad to see that, because it showed how people remembered it at the time. Lots of people lost family members, so having local memorials at the time within easy visiting reach was a big deal.

In England having memorial services for years afterwards was common, like it is to have memorial services for 9/11 victims even now.

At the time, there was a famous poem that was widely spoken on this day at services. This poem is why poppies are used as a symbol to this day.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

by Anonymousreply 8November 11, 2018 3:14 PM

American Experience did an excellent 3-part documentary on World War I last year, which is linked. World War I has been overshadowed so much by World War II that it's not covered nearly enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 11, 2018 3:22 PM

Approximately 40 million dead as a result of WW1. Then the 1918-1920 flu pandemic hit Europe and killed another 10 million.

by Anonymousreply 10November 11, 2018 3:23 PM

Over there,

Over there.

Spread the word,

spread the word

Over there.

That the Yanks are coming . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 11, 2018 3:26 PM

My 19 year old grandfather fought in WW1 in the Polish Army.

by Anonymousreply 12November 11, 2018 3:30 PM

. . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 11, 2018 3:41 PM

My Great-Uncle died in combat in WWI. He's buried in France.

by Anonymousreply 14November 11, 2018 3:44 PM

What passing-bells for these who die as cattle?

- Only the monstrous anger of the guns.

by Anonymousreply 15November 11, 2018 3:52 PM

It wasn't the end, it was only a lull, till the REAL World War broke out later on.

by Anonymousreply 16November 11, 2018 3:56 PM

I do remember as a child - 1st or 2nd grade - starting in October, you’d see veterans selling poppies on the street. I specifically remember one WWI veteran, an elderly man, who had lost his leg, so he used crutches and one pant leg was sewn up or pinned up - no prosthetic who would see his poppies outside the bank. Always in a suit and hat with his medals.

My grandfather served in WWI and we have from him some amazing pictures he took in France. The devastion, but also the local people, his fellow soldiers, even some German POWs.

From that connection, I’ve always had much more of an interest in WWI than in the later wars of the 20th century. I agree that in many ways, WWI is the forgotten war, but it was also, thanks to the Treaty of Versailles, one of the main causes of WWII. Even Churchill admitted this, stating that there could never be a Hitler or the Nazi party if they had left a Hohenzollern in Berlin or a Hapsburg in Vienna. But Wilson insisted on democracy replace the monarchs, despite the countries’ wishes. Funny how little the USA learned 90 years later in Afghanistan where the tribes wanted the king back, but we wanted a US style democracy. That’s worked well.

by Anonymousreply 17November 11, 2018 4:24 PM

My paternal grandfather fought (on the other side, sorry guys) in WWI. he was dishonorably discharged from the cavalry (yes, they had those one hundred years ago) for bolshevism! (or being a mean cuss)

by Anonymousreply 18November 11, 2018 9:35 PM

You type fat, OP.

by Anonymousreply 19November 11, 2018 10:39 PM

[quote]But Wilson insisted on democracy replace the monarchs, despite the countries’ wishes. Funny how little the USA learned 90 years later in Afghanistan where the tribes wanted the king back, but we wanted a US style democracy. That’s worked well.

It actually worked out splendidly in Japan after WWII.

by Anonymousreply 20November 11, 2018 10:48 PM

The Lost Generation

by Anonymousreply 21November 11, 2018 11:05 PM

R20 - but Japan retained their monarchy despite what the US wanted. It was MacArthur who pushed it on the US to keep the emperor system.

by Anonymousreply 22November 11, 2018 11:11 PM

The monarch in Japan was basically turned into a figurehead. The US made Japan democratic and it worked out very well.

by Anonymousreply 23November 11, 2018 11:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!