Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mass Shooting San Fernando Valley

@ABC7Jory

Just spoke with a man who was at the front door of the bar when the shooter began firing. Says he had a handgun, shot the guard at the door, threw several smoke bombs inside, and then continued firing. Described shooter as middle eastern looking with a beard.

by Anonymousreply 475December 7, 2018 8:06 PM

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities responded to a nightclub in Thousand Oaks after reports of a mass shooting Wednesday night.

The shooting happened around 11:20 p.m. at Borderline Bar & Grill at 99 Rolling Oaks Dr.

Ventura County sheriff's officials said there were reports of an active shooter at the club, but it was unclear how many victims there may be.

Witness John Hedge, of Moorpark, said he saw a suspect throwing smoke bombs into the front of the restaurant. He also said he saw a security guard get shot.

The country bar is located near the 101 Freeway off Moorpark Road.

Footage from AIR7 HD captured paramedics performing CPR on a person who appeared unresponsive.

No further details were immediately released.

The website for Borderline showed that Wednesday nights are College Country Nights that last from 9 p.m. until 2 a.m. Colleges near the club are California Lutheran University and California State University, Channel Islands.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 8, 2018 7:24 AM

Was it a gay club? Pulse 2.0?

by Anonymousreply 2November 8, 2018 7:27 AM

It was a College CW night.

Do we do CW anymore?

by Anonymousreply 3November 8, 2018 7:30 AM

Much ugliness in the SF Valley today:

LAPD arrest hate crime suspect accused of snatching wigs from heads of women in North Hollywood

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles police arrested a hate crime suspect who they say snatched the religious head coverings off of multiple Orthodox Jewish women in the North Hollywood area.

Authorities said the suspect was found at his home in Sherman Oaks Wednesday night and he wasn't cooperating with police. His name was not released.

Two of the victims were targeted on Yom Kippur, authorities said. The first victim, an 80-year-old woman, was walking along Bellaire Avenue near Burbank Boulevard when the male suspect, who appeared to be in his mid-20s to early 30s and had been following her for some distance, grabbed the wig from her head.

According to police, the suspect then smiled at the victim and handed the wig back to her, never saying a word. He then walked away.

Later on the same day, a 36-year-old woman was approached from behind by the same suspect while walking along Chandler Boulevard near Bellaire Avenue. The suspect attempted to pull a wig off of that victim's head in a similar manner to the first incident, according to police.

More than a month later, on Nov. 6, the suspect approached a 58-year-old woman who was loading equipment into her vehicle, which was parked near Laurel Canyon and Burbank Boulevard. The man grabbed the wig from the victim's head and said, "Oh, I'm sorry," in a sarcastic tone and threw the victim's wig on the ground before walking away, police said.

One of the incidents was also captured on surveillance video. The victim spoke with Eyewitness News, but did not show her face on camera and only wanted to be known as Chaya.

"All of the sudden I felt something behind me, like, against my back. I felt my wig coming off and I turned around and I saw a face and him pulling off my wig. I screamed," she said.

She said she continued screaming even after the suspect threw the wig back at her. He took off, leaving her feeling humiliated.

"In our religion, Jewish women cover their hair when they're married. It's like the equivalent modesty of being dressed," Chaya said.

Investigators said they believe the suspect targeted the three victims because of their religious beliefs. All three are members of the Orthodox Jewish community in the area who wear head coverings as a sign of modesty.

Because of these recent attacks, some residents said they no longer feel safe in the neighborhood.

"We don't want to walk alone because there's somebody who obviously has something on his agenda. So right now it's the wigs, which is humiliating and degrading and embarrassing, but I don't know at what point that might turn into something worse," Chaya said.

While the suspect was taken into custody Wednesday night, authorities believe there may have been more victims.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 8, 2018 7:32 AM

A White Supremasict strikes again? It would not surprise me. Was it a black club?

by Anonymousreply 5November 8, 2018 7:34 AM

One witness said the gunman looked Middle Eastern

The wig snatcher is a white supremacist

by Anonymousreply 6November 8, 2018 7:37 AM

More info on the bar and grill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 8, 2018 7:38 AM

More footage from R4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 8, 2018 7:44 AM

[quote]r6 The wig snatcher is a white supremacist

Are they sure it’s not just an overly critical hairdresser?

by Anonymousreply 9November 8, 2018 7:48 AM

America is doomed. A liar, a bully, a conman in the White House meanwhile you’re killing each other with guns every other day.

by Anonymousreply 10November 8, 2018 7:53 AM

Trump is also a rapist according to his ex-wife, R10.

by Anonymousreply 11November 8, 2018 8:10 AM

T N P!

by Anonymousreply 12November 8, 2018 8:11 AM

Link to physical discription?

by Anonymousreply 13November 8, 2018 8:15 AM

The description is in the OP twitter from ABC

by Anonymousreply 14November 8, 2018 8:19 AM

[quote]R12 T N P !

??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 8, 2018 8:24 AM

Tipsy Goat in Thousand Oaks was also the scene of a shooting tonight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 8, 2018 8:35 AM

More info on the Irish bar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 8, 2018 8:36 AM

FYI Thousand Oaks isn't in the San Fernando Valley

by Anonymousreply 18November 8, 2018 8:38 AM

Really hot shirtless Asian guy talking on MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 19November 8, 2018 8:38 AM

[quote]California State University, Channel Islands.

??? This is a new one to me and I'm a Californian.

by Anonymousreply 20November 8, 2018 8:40 AM

And I was telling myself I should get out more...

by Anonymousreply 21November 8, 2018 8:42 AM

The guy was not Middle Easterner, the fuckhead was a White Supremacist, period. He did not know it was a country bar.

by Anonymousreply 22November 8, 2018 9:03 AM

That area is actually very pretty and also very safe. I almost moved out there in the early 00s, because I worked out there for years, and commuted from WeHo. But I felt that I was too young at that point, to live in such a sleepy little town, & I had a very active social life where I lived.

You never heard of stuff like this out there.

by Anonymousreply 23November 8, 2018 9:11 AM

R22 Nope. Jory Rand of channel 7 says the witness he spoke to says the killer was middle eastern:

"Just spoke with a man who was at the front door of the bar when the shooter began firing. Says he had a handgun, shot the guard at the door, threw several smoke bombs inside, and then continued firing. Described shooter as middle eastern looking with a beard."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 8, 2018 9:15 AM

Suspect is dead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 8, 2018 9:19 AM

This Twitter account has a lot of updates:

"When deputies arrived, they immediately made entry into the building to engage the shooter that was actively firing."

"Suspect is believed to be dead inaide."

"Deputies believe the shooter did not leave building and there is no threat to the public anymore. Deputies have finished clearing the building. VCSO Bomb Squad and FBI moving in."

"So far 11 confirmed victims including a VCSO deputy that was shot multiple times. When officers arrived they came under heavy fire and found numerous gunshot victims."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 8, 2018 9:23 AM

R20, don’t laugh, but California State University, Channel Islands, was established at the old Camarillo State Mental Hospital complex after it was closed down in 1997.

by Anonymousreply 27November 8, 2018 9:24 AM

Another Twitter account with lots of updates:

"Ventura County Sheriff says number of injured is at 11 but number will increase as day goes on; confirmed shooter is dead and "multiple fatalities" in Thousand Oaks mass shooting incident."

"Thousand Oaks mayor confirm to local media outlet KTLA that mass shooting suspect was "engaged and neutralized" by police"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 8, 2018 9:26 AM

I wasn't laughing, R27. I'd just never heard of it before. But now that you tell me about the Camarillo association, I do kind of want to laugh. It was the state hospital for the criminally mentally ill before all laws about keeping them incarcerated in hospitals or jail went kaput. Napa State also went down in flames, from what I understand. I was out of state for 20 years and returned after a lot of this went down.

Other than being bearded and possibly dark-complected, is there any other evidence that he's Middle Eastern? Did witnesses say he yell "Allahu Akbar?"

by Anonymousreply 29November 8, 2018 9:31 AM

KTLA live stream

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 8, 2018 9:34 AM

KABC live stream

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 8, 2018 9:36 AM

KNBC live stream

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 8, 2018 9:39 AM

KCBS live stream

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 8, 2018 9:40 AM

R27 beat me to it. Are you local?

by Anonymousreply 34November 8, 2018 9:49 AM

Have they released the shooter's name yet?

by Anonymousreply 35November 8, 2018 9:50 AM

What does the white supremacist have to do with this shooting?

by Anonymousreply 36November 8, 2018 9:51 AM

R35 No

by Anonymousreply 37November 8, 2018 9:53 AM

[quote]What does the white supremacist have to do with this shooting?

Trump.

by Anonymousreply 38November 8, 2018 9:53 AM

Thanks, R37. Live PC on right now.

by Anonymousreply 39November 8, 2018 9:55 AM

Police giving news conference now...check any of the live streams above

by Anonymousreply 40November 8, 2018 9:57 AM

[quote]Thanks, [R37]. Live PC on right now.

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 41November 8, 2018 9:57 AM

11 victims killed, deputy injured...don't know if it is related to terrorism yet

by Anonymousreply 42November 8, 2018 9:58 AM

11 killed per news conference

by Anonymousreply 43November 8, 2018 9:58 AM

The police officer is confirmed now to have died...can't confirm smoke bombs used

by Anonymousreply 44November 8, 2018 9:59 AM

11 dead and 10-12 injured

by Anonymousreply 45November 8, 2018 10:00 AM

When officers entered, the suspect was already dead

13 total killed (11 in the club, the killer, and the police officer)

No assault rifle found, only handgun found

by Anonymousreply 46November 8, 2018 10:01 AM

Sgt. Helis was 29 year veteran who was about to retire in a year.

by Anonymousreply 47November 8, 2018 10:01 AM

Overseas poster here.

Will see you for the next one in a week or two.

by Anonymousreply 48November 8, 2018 10:03 AM

They haven't yet been able to identify the killer yet...as far as they know there was only one handgun but that might change after they do a more thorough search of the building...they don't know who shot the deputy

by Anonymousreply 49November 8, 2018 10:06 AM

They still have barely released shit about the Vegas shooter. Why should this be any different?

by Anonymousreply 50November 8, 2018 10:08 AM

The news conference is over...next one will probably be in a hour or hour and half

by Anonymousreply 51November 8, 2018 10:11 AM

Bullshit. One racist kid said the guy looked middle eastern. That is all it was...I was watching.

by Anonymousreply 52November 8, 2018 10:13 AM

The Vegas Shooter left no clues. That is pretty weird, why did he want to kill all those people? Because they were country fans? Maybe.

by Anonymousreply 53November 8, 2018 10:18 AM

This is what you get if you want to live in America. Comes with the territory.

by Anonymousreply 54November 8, 2018 10:26 AM

This might not even turn out to be a hate crime. He could be a spurned lover or social outcast. Attacking college kids on country western night certainly doesn’t seem to have any surface hate-based motivations.

by Anonymousreply 55November 8, 2018 10:26 AM

R52 No one knows yet. At the news conference, when asked for a description of the killer, the guy said "I don't want to go there right now"

by Anonymousreply 56November 8, 2018 10:28 AM

[quote] This might not even turn out to be a hate crime. He could be a spurned lover or social outcast. Attacking college kids on country western night certainly doesn’t seem to have any surface hate-based motivations.

Hate crime = crime against minorities or against religion.

by Anonymousreply 57November 8, 2018 10:34 AM

The Democrats need to introduce a gun bill on DAY ONE of the new congress. At the very least it needs to ban assault weapons. They need to get the Republicans on record as opposing sensible gun legislation. Send it to the Senate and let McConnell explain why he won't bring it up for a vote.

Our country is off the rails and our elected 'leaders' continue to do nothing

by Anonymousreply 58November 8, 2018 10:36 AM

[quote]Our country is off the rails and our elected 'leaders' continue to do nothing

Our country was "off the rails" yesterday and last week and last year and 5 years ago and 10 years ago and 100 years go. Today is no different.

by Anonymousreply 59November 8, 2018 10:39 AM

[quote] Today is no different.

I disagree.

Today we have a Democratic majority poised to take over the House of Representatives for the first time since 2011

by Anonymousreply 60November 8, 2018 10:45 AM

[quote]Did witnesses say he yell "Allahu Akbar?"

I was playing Scattergories the other day and needed "Something you yell" that starts with 'A' and I got two points for Allahu Akbar. Just a fun fact.

by Anonymousreply 61November 8, 2018 11:03 AM

Well, everything's back to abnormal.

by Anonymousreply 62November 8, 2018 11:04 AM

Thoughts & prayers! Let's not politicize this.

by Anonymousreply 63November 8, 2018 11:05 AM

Thousand Oaks is in the Conejo Valley in Ventura County. Conservative, white majority, upper middle class populace. Lots of active and retired LAPD officers live out there, like neighboring Simi Valley.

by Anonymousreply 64November 8, 2018 11:07 AM

I told you I was hardcore.

by Anonymousreply 65November 8, 2018 11:10 AM

[quote]Today we have a Democratic majority poised to take over the House of Representatives for the first time since 2011

And there have been Democrat majorities in the House AND Senate in the past. Which made NO difference to America and its angry, violent culture.

by Anonymousreply 66November 8, 2018 11:11 AM

I just woke up to this. Aren’t any of you absolutely mortified and ashamed to live in this fucking country? It’s so far off the rails with this insanity. It’s all on our right wing choices. All of it can be laid at the feet of the GOP.

by Anonymousreply 67November 8, 2018 11:22 AM

Of course it's mortifying, R67. What the hell kind of question is that?

by Anonymousreply 68November 8, 2018 11:26 AM

[quote]Really hot shirtless Asian guy talking on MSNBC.

There was another shirtless twink talking to a CA news station, but I thought he was white. His perky pecs woke me right up when I saw this at 4am this morning!

by Anonymousreply 69November 8, 2018 11:27 AM

How many shootings have there been this year?

by Anonymousreply 70November 8, 2018 11:31 AM

Okay R66, we have you on record for suggesting we continue to do absolutely nothing while our fellow citizens continue to die in gun massacres in nightclubs, schools, workplaces, churches, mosques, and synagogues.

by Anonymousreply 71November 8, 2018 11:40 AM

This just seems to be another Thursday in America and that’s how the GOP wants it.

by Anonymousreply 72November 8, 2018 11:43 AM

It's a dark-skinned Incel.

Non-Incel men (gay or straight, whatever their color) do not get the urge to kill people. We're too busy trying to live our freaking lives.

I feel so terrible those people lost their lives because yet another trash loser can't handle the fact that his life wasn't what he felt he was entitled to.

by Anonymousreply 73November 8, 2018 12:00 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 8, 2018 12:00 PM

[quote]Non-Incel men (gay or straight, whatever their color) do not get the urge to kill people.

Lol. Yes dear, non-incel men don’t *ever* kill anyone.

by Anonymousreply 75November 8, 2018 12:07 PM

R71 has a rather debilitating comprehension problem. Go back and read R66 s-l-o-w-l-y. No where was their a suggestion to "do absolutely nothing". The post responded to R60's assertion that having a "Democratic" House will somehow alter 260 years of American culture/mentality.

by Anonymousreply 76November 8, 2018 12:09 PM

r75, does that include me?

by Anonymousreply 77November 8, 2018 12:10 PM

But it's California?!

by Anonymousreply 78November 8, 2018 12:19 PM

Any footage of the shirtless guys mentioned up thread?

by Anonymousreply 79November 8, 2018 12:19 PM

I saw one of the guys in the bar was wearing a Reagan Bush shirt. Was he wearing it ironically or are there really deplorables in CA? I thought the state was as blue as can be.

by Anonymousreply 80November 8, 2018 12:22 PM

Actually yes r79, I saw some of them running in a clip a little earlier.

When I saw the clip, I said to myself "someone on DL is going to be asking about them I bet"

DL....never change. LOL

by Anonymousreply 81November 8, 2018 12:22 PM

Welp, there goes the neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 82November 8, 2018 12:25 PM

I’m in the Bay Area and only one of our channels has been even covering this (a non network local channel) non-stop.

by Anonymousreply 83November 8, 2018 12:26 PM

1000 Oaks. Country music. These were young future Trump 2020 voters (most likely). Now is not the time, I know, as our mourning nation is in shock.

by Anonymousreply 84November 8, 2018 12:27 PM

[quote] Witnesses described the suspect as being a Middle Eastern man in his early 20s with a beard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85November 8, 2018 12:33 PM

There have been very conflicting reports about the description of the suspect. I wish the police would say something definitive.

by Anonymousreply 86November 8, 2018 12:37 PM

[quote] I wish the police would say something definitive.

If it was a White guy, the cops would have immediately said so. Since they didn't, the cops are working on the spin factor.

by Anonymousreply 87November 8, 2018 12:51 PM

I called it in one of the Mid-Term threads. I knew some fucking nut job would do this immediately after the elections.

And what REALLY sucks, is that we have no idea where or who will do it.

Our POTUS is creating this atmosphere of “shoot ‘em up”. It really doesn’t matter “why”. He’s emboldened every whack job with a weapon to go out and kill random people.

by Anonymousreply 88November 8, 2018 12:54 PM

Thousand Oaks isn’t the Valley.

by Anonymousreply 89November 8, 2018 12:55 PM

R87 is right.

by Anonymousreply 90November 8, 2018 12:57 PM

Yes, R89, that’s already been firmly established.

by Anonymousreply 91November 8, 2018 12:58 PM

What type of “privilege” would that be called R86?

by Anonymousreply 92November 8, 2018 12:58 PM

[quote]Our POTUS is creating this atmosphere of “shoot ‘em up”. It really doesn’t matter “why”. He’s emboldened every whack job with a weapon to go out and kill random people.

R88 wins the DL lifetime achievement award for the most ludicrous, preposterous horseshit ever posted on DL.

by Anonymousreply 93November 8, 2018 12:58 PM

R87, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 94November 8, 2018 12:59 PM

CIA military Intel strikes again! Sadly Trump has not managed to eliminate those satanists.

by Anonymousreply 98November 8, 2018 1:02 PM

R62.. If it wasn't so horribly tragic, I'd laugh. Our new normal.

by Anonymousreply 99November 8, 2018 1:05 PM

Country and western bar?

Were the victims deplorables? I need to know whether or not I should care.

by Anonymousreply 100November 8, 2018 1:06 PM

The victims were college students. Pepperdine is close by I believe.

by Anonymousreply 101November 8, 2018 1:08 PM

[quote] Our new normal.

See Deplorable R100 for details.

by Anonymousreply 102November 8, 2018 1:08 PM

It’s not unreasonable to want to know if the victims were deplorables or not. Was this a tragedy or thinning of the herd?

by Anonymousreply 103November 8, 2018 1:10 PM

R96 - well said. The privilege of living in a large society like the US really blinds us to how truly awful people have it in other areas of the world.

Also...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104November 8, 2018 1:13 PM

R102, the shooting victims in Las Vegas and in the church in Texas were Trump and NRA supporters, and some of the survivors of those shootings still don't support common sense guns laws. If these victims are similarly minded, then I feel no pity for them. They are/were part of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 105November 8, 2018 1:14 PM

CW bars are popular with all sorts of people. It’s California. Not exactly right wing territory.

by Anonymousreply 106November 8, 2018 1:17 PM

No R105, YOU are problem. A deplorable with no empathy, who dehumanizes another human being based on stereotyping and stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 107November 8, 2018 1:17 PM

No, R107, Trump voters and gun nuts are the problem.

by Anonymousreply 108November 8, 2018 1:20 PM

Uh no R93, he’s right.

by Anonymousreply 109November 8, 2018 1:21 PM

Latinos love country music too. So do many black people. How weird to stereotype patrons in a bar.

Anyway, this is so unbelievably sad. Dear God in heaven.

Line dancing is a great way for shy types and singles to get out and socialize. I equate college night to shy and single kids who need companionship. Tragic. RIP guys and gals.

by Anonymousreply 110November 8, 2018 1:24 PM

[quote]Overseas poster here. Will see you for the next one in a week or two.

Sam Stein: You might be thinking: "Damn, this morning's mass shooting in the LA bar is pretty damn close to our last mass shooting, the one in the Pittsburgh synagogue."

In fact, there were 11 mass shootings (four or more victims) in between.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111November 8, 2018 1:28 PM

[quote]I called it in one of the Mid-Term threads. I knew some fucking nut job would do this immediately after the elections.

You ain’t special, Cassandra, this happens every day. The only thing that changes are the numbers.

by Anonymousreply 112November 8, 2018 1:35 PM

The suspect has been named as 29 year-old Ian Long

According to mediaite:

[quote] Sources told NBC News he is a white male who is “heavily tattooed.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113November 8, 2018 1:36 PM

In California? No surprise there.

California, the land of fruits and nuts, where every fruit is a little nutty and every nut is a little fruity.

by Anonymousreply 114November 8, 2018 1:37 PM

Who writes your dialogue, r114?

by Anonymousreply 115November 8, 2018 1:41 PM

Are they calling the white male shooter a terrorist yet? They should be.

by Anonymousreply 116November 8, 2018 1:41 PM

Now we know, another white male mass murderer.

How much do you want to bet he was a Trumper?

by Anonymousreply 117November 8, 2018 1:42 PM

Mass murderer dead, identified as 29 year old Ian Long:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118November 8, 2018 1:42 PM

He drove his mother’s car to the bar. That says much right there.

by Anonymousreply 119November 8, 2018 1:44 PM

Update: mass murderer was David Ian Long:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120November 8, 2018 1:45 PM

r114 probably types "earrings, caftans" a lot.

by Anonymousreply 121November 8, 2018 1:46 PM

Thousand Oaks Shooting Had Route 91 Survivors Inside Nightclub, Say Friends

People inside the Borderline nightclub in Thousand Oaks—where a gunman opened fire late Wednesday night—were survivors of the Route 91 mass shooting in Las Vegas last year, according to their friends. At least 12 people were killed at the nightclub and officials confirmed the shooter is dead as well. “A lot of people in the Route 91 situation go here,” said Chandler Gunn, 23, who went to the bar after the shooting, knowing some of his friends were inside. “There’s people that live a whole lifetime without seeing this, and then there’s people that have seen it twice.” The Route 91 Harvest music festival was the site of the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history, when a gunman killed 58 people and wounded hundreds along the Las Vegas Strip. Savannah Stafseth, who was on the patio outside the nightclub when the shooting began Wednesday, said: “All these people after Route 91. It’s not fair.” Carl Edgar said about 20 of his friends were inside the bar during the shooting, adding: “A lot of my friends survived Route 91. If they survived that, they’ll survive this.”

by Anonymousreply 122November 8, 2018 1:50 PM

What was with all the false reports about him being middle eastern? Racism?

by Anonymousreply 123November 8, 2018 1:50 PM

Some of you were so sure he was middle eastern and ready to demand all Muslims apologize. The same people who cry over don lemon stating the obvious. That most of these terrorist acts are committed by white men

by Anonymousreply 124November 8, 2018 1:51 PM

As per ABC: a vet who suffered from PTSD

by Anonymousreply 125November 8, 2018 1:52 PM

Thank You, President Trump, for making our country look even more foolish today than yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 126November 8, 2018 1:52 PM

It's not "racist" to describe someone as looking Middle Eastern when you think they do. Witness accounts are notoriously unreliable.

by Anonymousreply 127November 8, 2018 1:53 PM

R119 Was he also a Mom's basement dweller?

by Anonymousreply 128November 8, 2018 1:55 PM

Damn r19 he is Asian adjacent, I was sleepy so all I could focus on was his chest!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129November 8, 2018 1:55 PM

Frankly, when I first heard of the shooting.. my first thought was another angry white man... most likely a trumper. I don't think Middle Eastern, anymore.

by Anonymousreply 130November 8, 2018 1:58 PM

One of the shirtless bar patrons appears to have Nazi tattoos -- I'm not imagining that, am I?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131November 8, 2018 1:58 PM

Pic comes from this tweet:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132November 8, 2018 1:59 PM

OP, Thousand Oaks is not the SF Valley. It’s not even in LA county. It’s in Ventura County.

by Anonymousreply 133November 8, 2018 2:01 PM

It’s racist when they let their eyes see what their mind wants them to see.

I know no longer think “ISIS” when I hear these stories, but white, unhinged, Trumper gun nut.

by Anonymousreply 134November 8, 2018 2:01 PM

Another Freedom Massacre. Yay! Guns for Everyone!

by Anonymousreply 135November 8, 2018 2:01 PM

History of police contact. Most recent April of this year. Not bad enough for a psych hold. Oy.

by Anonymousreply 136November 8, 2018 2:03 PM

Okay I'm an asshole, that's a USMC tattoo on the shirtless gentleman, and a "We the People" tattoo on his left pec.

Nevermind me, I'm paranoid.

by Anonymousreply 137November 8, 2018 2:03 PM

Neighbors describe Ian has having PTSD and being very troubled. He lived with his mother, and had a history of being 5150'd in the past.

by Anonymousreply 138November 8, 2018 2:05 PM

Shooter is a vet. USMC.

by Anonymousreply 139November 8, 2018 2:05 PM

Sounds like he had one mental health issue with police. Two other issues were traffic/car accident related.

Killed himself.

by Anonymousreply 140November 8, 2018 2:06 PM

Thanks for the update, r137. I had no idea what those tattoos were.

by Anonymousreply 141November 8, 2018 2:07 PM

MAGAShooter

by Anonymousreply 142November 8, 2018 2:09 PM

[quote]It’s racist when they let their eyes see what their mind wants them to see.

Actually, that sounds like the unconscious mind at work. But don't let logic get in the way of a good Racist! Shriek!

by Anonymousreply 143November 8, 2018 2:09 PM

OMG one of the guys in the bar was a dead ringer (pardon the pun) for a young Leonardo Dicaprio!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144November 8, 2018 2:10 PM

can we just say that PTSD really is just shorthand for "PISSED"!

by Anonymousreply 145November 8, 2018 2:10 PM

If the shooter was a UMSC vet, maybe this was a typical hangout for young veterans? A witness said they saw him talking to the cashier before he started firing, like he knew her, so maybe he was a regular.

by Anonymousreply 146November 8, 2018 2:11 PM

[quote]can we just say that PTSD really is just shorthand for "PISSED"!

If we can just spell it "PISD."!

by Anonymousreply 147November 8, 2018 2:12 PM

This country has a mental health crisis on its hands.

Lack of reasonable gun control laws certainly don't help.

All we will get are thoughts and prayers. Nothing will change. Tragedies waiting to happen each and every day.

by Anonymousreply 148November 8, 2018 2:13 PM

Tots and pears.

by Anonymousreply 149November 8, 2018 2:15 PM

Guy couldn't have looked less Middle Eastern if he tried. Clearly the CW fans of TO see things to paint a narrative.

by Anonymousreply 150November 8, 2018 2:16 PM

R144 Between that guy and the Asian muscle stud, this bar sure attracts a lot of cuties

by Anonymousreply 151November 8, 2018 2:17 PM

The sergeant who ran in to engage the shooter and ended up shot and killed himself was a skilled gunman who actually taught shooting at a local range.

So even if you run in with a gun and have years of experience knowing how to use it, you may not get out alive.

by Anonymousreply 152November 8, 2018 2:18 PM

[quote]Between that guy and the Asian muscle stud, this bar sure attracts a lot of cuties

Which makes it all the more tragic.

by Anonymousreply 153November 8, 2018 2:19 PM

The dad looking for his son Cody Coffman has made me tear up, per the story on Daily Fail. So sad.

So many stupid comments on Twitter already blaming Democrats and saying everyone should have been armed.

by Anonymousreply 154November 8, 2018 2:20 PM

What will it take for the GOP to budge? Losing their wives or husbands or daughters or grandsons or granddaughters by the hand of a mass murderer???

Same scenario over and over and over!

by Anonymousreply 155November 8, 2018 2:21 PM

R149 Cots and chairs

by Anonymousreply 156November 8, 2018 2:22 PM

They will never budge R155.

by Anonymousreply 157November 8, 2018 2:22 PM

One of the first things Trump did when he got into office was remove gun purchasing restrictions on the mentally ill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158November 8, 2018 2:23 PM

These incidents only make the GOP think we need more guns, not less. They think everyone should be walking around with a gun.

by Anonymousreply 159November 8, 2018 2:25 PM

R159 He shot a sheriff and a bouncer and both were likely armed.

by Anonymousreply 160November 8, 2018 2:27 PM

Why so many shirtless dudes? Was that a thing in the bar, or was it for triage purposes?

Btw, add me to the posters who saw the first images of shirtless college boys and thought, “DL is on this.”

by Anonymousreply 161November 8, 2018 2:27 PM

R160..but he did not shoot the deputy!

by Anonymousreply 162November 8, 2018 2:30 PM

R160, I didn’t say I agreed with them- only pointing out that’s the GOP’s “logic” in response to the poster who wondered when the GOP would come around on gun control.

by Anonymousreply 163November 8, 2018 2:31 PM

When I saw all the shirtless guys, and then saw that all the ambulances were just sitting their idling after the police secured the scene, I realized the young men used their shirts to stop bleeding or to cover the faces of the dead.

If you know the area and the sort that usually enjoy such a venue, you know that Ian Long murdered a crowd of his own.

by Anonymousreply 164November 8, 2018 2:34 PM

[quote] Why so many shirtless dudes? Was that a thing in the bar, or was it for triage purposes?

I think they were using shirts to help stop the bleeding of those who were wounded, or perhaps they were just being gentlemen since it gets into the 40s at night and many of the women look to be wearing lightweight tops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165November 8, 2018 2:34 PM

Poo and bears..

by Anonymousreply 166November 8, 2018 2:40 PM

Despite the frequency of these mass shootings and the dutiful NRA spokespeople and ammosexuals commenting that keeping dangerous firearms from people without the strength, sanity, and maturity to merit them is a slippery slope to socialism or Communism, I remain unconvinced that allowing everyone to have guns is a good idea. I know that doesn't make me a typical American and I'm okay with that, because I'm not an American citizen but a permanent resident. Yet I knew people who died in mass shootings (and the parent of a mass shooter!). It seems incomprehensible to me that the bereaved and survivors of these shootings are not heard, do not organize to gain collective political strength.

Another thing I fail to understand is how a "talking point" is a substitute for a cogent argument. "Only a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun." So the armed law enforcement officers in this situation weren't good guys with a gun? If the mass shooter kills himself is he the bad guy for doing the mass shooting or is he the good guy for taking out the bad guy (himself)? When four Lakewood police officers meeting at a Starbucks are murdered by an ex-con they all aren't good?

How do Americans explain these talking points to immigrants, visitors, and foreign onlookers in ways that make sense?

"Ummmm we just have to say something in defense of nutjobs having weapons. We don't have to make sense." -- NRA and ammosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 167November 8, 2018 2:41 PM

Where did you see a photo, R150? I haven't found one yet.

by Anonymousreply 168November 8, 2018 2:42 PM

I shot the sheriff

by Anonymousreply 169November 8, 2018 2:42 PM

Fucking Republicans and the NRA think the only way to stop gun violence is to have more guns.

by Anonymousreply 170November 8, 2018 2:42 PM

Video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171November 8, 2018 2:44 PM

Ah, I spoke too soon. A CBS station just posted a photo a minute ago.

Warning: if you go looking on Twitter, you'll find a billion results of some poor guy with the same name, and Trumpsters with fake photos of Middle Eastern men claiming they're Ian Long.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172November 8, 2018 2:44 PM

I think the reason the witness thought he was Middle Eastern is because he was dressed like a stereotypical terrorist, not that he looked like one. He wore a mask over his nose and mouth.

by Anonymousreply 173November 8, 2018 2:46 PM

I'm astounded that some NRA nitwit hasn't made a "slippery slope to Communism" talking point or bleated "it takes a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun. That's why the mass shooter was able to shoot himself and the law enforcement officers who lost their lives couldn't. They just weren't good enough. That's why our great president allows the unhinged to have firearms. He recognizes their goodness as the same as his own."

Or maybe they have, but I don't see it because I've blocked some reoccurring trolls and ammosexual nutjobs.

by Anonymousreply 174November 8, 2018 2:46 PM

The Sheriff was a trained, experienced officer in firearms. He lost his life, even with all of that experience. Can you imagine civilians, carrying guns, and in a panic.. start shooting? Crazy...

by Anonymousreply 175November 8, 2018 2:47 PM

Having armed guards simply means they'll be the ones shot first.

by Anonymousreply 176November 8, 2018 2:49 PM

The shooter at R172 smells cookies.

by Anonymousreply 177November 8, 2018 2:51 PM

R156, Twats and Hairs!

by Anonymousreply 178November 8, 2018 2:51 PM

R172 the pic of him in the Dodgers shirt is HOT

by Anonymousreply 179November 8, 2018 2:51 PM

r175 that's an NRA member's wet dream. LAPD have shot and killed fleeing hostages, but an ammosexual dashing into a shoot-up without professional training of the LEO imagines he sees auras or psychic arrows pointing to the bad guys, distinguishing them from the bad guys, or more likely makes skin tone of the bystanders the rule of thumb.

by Anonymousreply 180November 8, 2018 2:52 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181November 8, 2018 2:53 PM

So Middle Eastern!!!

by Anonymousreply 182November 8, 2018 3:01 PM

r175 Yup. The “good guy with a gun” myth gets debunked again. No matter how much experience and training the “good guy” has, the batshit crazy dude always has the tactical advantage - thanks to insanity, obsession and months of planning.

by Anonymousreply 183November 8, 2018 3:02 PM

R181 - yummy.

by Anonymousreply 184November 8, 2018 3:06 PM

r26 When deputies arrived, they immediately made entry into the building to engage the shooter that was actively firing.

Yet, it took the police officers over 4 hours to enter the Pulse nightclub to save gay people in Florida. Double standard.

by Anonymousreply 185November 8, 2018 3:08 PM

Every writer knows you don't enter a building with an active shooter if you are close to retirement.

by Anonymousreply 186November 8, 2018 3:10 PM

Every single mass shooter is a White Supremacist and we need to have it published over and over again. Why would we protect these demented assholes.

Ian Long, does not sound Middle Eastern, does it?

by Anonymousreply 187November 8, 2018 3:10 PM

squats and stares

by Anonymousreply 188November 8, 2018 3:12 PM

r187 Like, um, he could've been from Antelope Valley, y'know? That's, like, Middle East for Thousand Oaks, right?

by Anonymousreply 189November 8, 2018 3:13 PM

I am getting paranoid. With our totally insane president it seems like anything could happen.

by Anonymousreply 190November 8, 2018 3:15 PM

Recent photo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191November 8, 2018 3:19 PM

flips and flops

by Anonymousreply 192November 8, 2018 3:20 PM

not even the top discussed topic on The View... we’ve gotten way to used to this.

by Anonymousreply 193November 8, 2018 3:21 PM

R191.. not a bad looking guy... looks a little like a young Harry Hamlin.

by Anonymousreply 194November 8, 2018 3:21 PM

He’s really hot. Such a shame he wasted his life.

by Anonymousreply 195November 8, 2018 3:22 PM

@mattdpearce

The shooter’s handgun was apparently bought legally — it’s notable it wasn’t a rifle, unlike other recent shootings, which could have made things worse — and although large-capacity magazines have technically been banned in California, there’s been some snags.

by Anonymousreply 196November 8, 2018 3:22 PM

R193... Nah. The View was too busy talking about whether the girl taking the mic away from Acosta, should be indicted... or if there was an "assault" there.. sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 197November 8, 2018 3:23 PM

[QUOTE]When deputies arrived, they immediately made entry into the building to engage the shooter that was actively firing. Yet, it took the police officers over 4 hours to enter the Pulse nightclub to save gay people in Florida. Double standard.

Uhh, this might have something to do with the tactics of the cops at Pulse:

[QUOTE]Authorities were still working to determine the names of the deceased Thursday morning, but one of the first people killed was a law-enforcement officer who charged into the bar and was met by a barrage of bullets: Sgt. Ron Helus of the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office.

by Anonymousreply 198November 8, 2018 3:23 PM

r122 Maybe the concept in Final Destination really is a thing? The reaper didn't get them at the first multiple shooting in Nevada, so it came back to get them in California.

by Anonymousreply 199November 8, 2018 3:24 PM

R197 yup. What a joke.

by Anonymousreply 200November 8, 2018 3:24 PM

I doubt he lived in his mother's basement. We rarely have basements in CA.

by Anonymousreply 201November 8, 2018 3:27 PM

r116: No, He'll be described as 'troubled' and 'mentally ill'

r122: It sounds like they were living in a "Final Destination"-type situation.

r124: I guess that throws a wrench in the whole 'if the police stall on a description, the suspect isn't white' bullshit.

r153: I love DL's priorities. Never change.

r167: We can't explain it to foreigners because there's no reasonable explanation for why the right desperately wants this country to devolve into Wild West.

by Anonymousreply 202November 8, 2018 3:29 PM

We're living in a shooting gallery run by a madman. Line forms to the right.

by Anonymousreply 203November 8, 2018 3:31 PM

[quote] 'if the police stall on a description, the suspect isn't white'

Or one of their own -- many USMC vets join law enforcement

by Anonymousreply 204November 8, 2018 3:33 PM

R201 They don't mean it literally. It means he's another shooter who was a man child still living at home, probably no girlfriend, no job, a gun collection, and introduced to guns by his mother. We've see this over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 205November 8, 2018 3:33 PM

He could have been an incel.. even with his looks.

by Anonymousreply 206November 8, 2018 3:35 PM

"good guy with a gun" debunked again

by Anonymousreply 207November 8, 2018 3:37 PM

He has fetal alcohol syndrome features.

by Anonymousreply 208November 8, 2018 3:43 PM

[QUOTE]Frankly, when I first heard of the shooting.. my first thought was another angry white man... most likely a trumper. I don't think Middle Eastern, anymore.

Middle Eastern men can’t take a walk down the street without eyes all over them. They’re automatically suspicious. They can’t blend in the way a white man does. Nobody thinks about the white guys, and cops aren’t pulling them over randomly. That’s why they can pull these terrorist acts off without raising alarms.

by Anonymousreply 209November 8, 2018 3:45 PM

A simple handgun VS an automatic/high powered weapon is about as effective as a water pistol or a cap gun.

by Anonymousreply 210November 8, 2018 3:48 PM

Apparently he got beat up at a local bar in 2015:

"Long had several interactions with the sheriff's department over the years, Dean said. These incidents include a traffic collision, a traffic citation as well as an instance in which Long was a victim of battery at a local bar in 2015."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211November 8, 2018 3:50 PM

@David_Leavitt

Before all the pro-gun people whip out their favorite talking point, Thousand Oaks did have an armed security guard. He was the first one murdered.

by Anonymousreply 212November 8, 2018 3:50 PM

PTSD = Post Trump Stress Disorder

by Anonymousreply 213November 8, 2018 3:51 PM

@CBSLA

Jason Coffman was still frantically searching for his son Cody following the mass shooting that killed 12 people and the suspect at a Thousand Oaks bar Wednesday night. "I am very emotional right now, this is my firstborn son."

(ABC7 just said he got some sort of "very bad news.")

by Anonymousreply 214November 8, 2018 3:52 PM

I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.

by Anonymousreply 215November 8, 2018 3:52 PM

Just read and saw a photo of the shooter wearing nazi clothing and apparently has white supremacist ties. Why would he choose that bar? Wonder if he got kicked out or in trouble there and it set him off.

by Anonymousreply 216November 8, 2018 3:53 PM

Aren't there pictures of people at this bar with Nazi tattoos as well?

by Anonymousreply 217November 8, 2018 3:54 PM

At R172 he reminds me of Andy Catlin (a.k.a. Daniel) from Sean Cody.

by Anonymousreply 218November 8, 2018 3:55 PM

[quote]Aren't there pictures of people at this bar with Nazi tattoos as well?

Those were USMC tats

by Anonymousreply 219November 8, 2018 3:57 PM

Poor right-wingers, they were so determined and counting on this asshole to be a Muslim, but it is just another white dude.

by Anonymousreply 220November 8, 2018 4:00 PM

Here’s the deal. Every time there is an active shooter, the messaging is that it’s a terrorist until proven otherwise.

And when we finally learn it is just another All American Nut, it doesn’t matter. ‘Terrorist’ has been hanging in the air for hours, and it becomes a reality for many even if it is a lie.

And yes, Trump has shaped this death of reality and has been trading in it his whole life. The MSM and the political establishment are so impotent that he has free reign.

And now he’s a role model for a generation of lying sociopaths.

Hooray.

by Anonymousreply 221November 8, 2018 4:01 PM

Alaina Housley:

Alaina, the niece of actress Tamera Mowry-Housley and her husband Adam Housley, was also still unaccounted for some seven hours after the shooting.

Her suitemate at Pepperdine University posted photos on Twitter saying that the freshman was missing.

by Anonymousreply 222November 8, 2018 4:03 PM

[QUOTE]A simple handgun VS an automatic/high powered weapon is about as effective as a water pistol or a cap gun.

What are you talking about? He killed 11 people and a cop. His body count is higher than many mass shooters who did use automatic rifles.

by Anonymousreply 223November 8, 2018 4:05 PM

Middle Eastern looking guy with a beard and gun = full on freak out, wall to wall coverage

White guy with a gun shoots up a school, church or synagogue = business as usual, nothing to see here. They should have had guns to shoot back

by Anonymousreply 224November 8, 2018 4:07 PM

Today we are all line dancers.

by Anonymousreply 225November 8, 2018 4:08 PM

Keep in mind more that 10 years ago the FBI was warned that law enforcement was being targeted by white supremacists. Many police departments across the country recruited neo nazis and white supremacists (many military vets). At several Neo Nazi rallies, police help the neo Nazi demonstrators and beat & arrested counter protestors.

by Anonymousreply 226November 8, 2018 4:14 PM

R221 here. For Oh, Dear - yes it is free rein. I detest auto fill and autocorrect.

by Anonymousreply 227November 8, 2018 4:14 PM

[quote] I detest auto fill and autocorrect.

Yet you haven't turned it off.

by Anonymousreply 228November 8, 2018 4:21 PM

Only 13 dead? He should've upgraded to the AR-15.

by Anonymousreply 229November 8, 2018 4:25 PM

His former roommate says he went with Long to Borderline at least once.

[quote]A former roommate described a California bar shooter as a “weird” loner who practiced dancing alone in the garage, and visited the country-themed nightclub at least once before he killed a dozen people there.

[quote]“He wasn’t violent but he was mean,” Winnett said. “He would go to the gym and then he would, I guess, try to learn dance moves or something. He would close the garage and be playing music and dancing in there, like sweating. I would open the garage and would be like, ‘What are you doing?’”

[quote]Winnett said he went to Borderline at least once with Long, and said his former roommate may have gone there additional times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230November 8, 2018 4:53 PM

They are always a socially awkward loner r230.

by Anonymousreply 231November 8, 2018 4:56 PM

Any shirtless pics of the gunman?

by Anonymousreply 232November 8, 2018 4:57 PM

My gawd, that father of one of the victims is ONE HAWT DADDY.

by Anonymousreply 233November 8, 2018 4:59 PM

😂 Dancing alone in the garage?

by Anonymousreply 234November 8, 2018 5:00 PM

Jason Coffman is his name. He looks way too young to have 5 kids, well now 4. His son was 22.

by Anonymousreply 235November 8, 2018 5:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236November 8, 2018 5:01 PM

R167, thank you for making the best and most logical, thought out comment on this thread.

I get really pissy and emotional when this shit goes down, but in the end, rationale such as yours, is king.

What good explanation is there, for allowing pretty much ANYONE, access to weapons and ammunition???

I am an American. If I had severe PTSD from battle, and other, mentally disruptive behaviors, I would actually WANT someone to stop me from getting a gun.

This man needed help, BIG TIME. No one wants to help people that get fucked up fighting for their country. And then they come home, to nothing. But a gun? Yes! Here you go!

WTF is a man who has had psychiatric illness, due to PTSD, doing with a gun?

Get a fucking grip, America.

by Anonymousreply 237November 8, 2018 5:02 PM

Thanks R233. That hot daddy is on CNN right now...

by Anonymousreply 238November 8, 2018 5:02 PM

[quote]Dean said Long was in the United States Marine Corps. The USMC released Long's service record, detailing that he served from 2008 to 2013, deploying to Afghanistan from Nov. 16, 2010 to June 14, 2011. His ranking was a corporal as a machine gunner, the the USMC said.

Thank you for your service!

by Anonymousreply 239November 8, 2018 5:04 PM

r236 I was imagining something more like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240November 8, 2018 5:05 PM

the common thread with all of these mass murders is guns.

by Anonymousreply 241November 8, 2018 5:10 PM

I don't care who does the shootings, bombing, etc., it's all terrorism.

by Anonymousreply 242November 8, 2018 5:11 PM

I have more respect for serial killers like Buffalo Bill than these spree shooters. Being a serial killer is hard work. It requires cunning, patience, diligence, planning. Anybody can go shoot up a bar but to kill selectively over a period of time, now that’s admirable.

by Anonymousreply 243November 8, 2018 5:12 PM

Identified as 28 year old DAVID LONG - yep, I mean that's about as Middle Eastern as you can get.....

by Anonymousreply 244November 8, 2018 5:13 PM

The "hot daddy" thanked LA tv station Fox11 ... deplorable?

by Anonymousreply 245November 8, 2018 5:13 PM

[quote]No matter how much experience and training the “good guy” has, the batshit crazy dude always has the tactical advantage - thanks to insanity, obsession and months of planning.

Not to mention that the good guy will (and should) always hesitate before shooting. The bad guy won't.

by Anonymousreply 246November 8, 2018 5:14 PM

R245 anymore everyone's deplorable till proven innocent.

by Anonymousreply 247November 8, 2018 5:14 PM

[quote]but an ammosexual dashing into a shoot-up without professional training of the LEO imagines he sees auras or psychic arrows pointing to the bad guys, distinguishing them from the bad guys, or more likely makes skin tone of the bystanders the rule of thumb.

And, of course, when law enforcement arrives and they see one bad guy with guns and two good guys with guns all shooting at each other, those same auras and psychic arrows will immediately allow them to focus exclusively on the bad guy. And those same auras will protect all of the bystanders from stray shots, thankfully.

by Anonymousreply 248November 8, 2018 5:17 PM

I'm sad. I went to school elementary school with Ron Helus in the Canoga Park, Ca. We were great friends back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 249November 8, 2018 5:18 PM

I’m sorry to hear that you lost an old friend, R249. May he Rest In Peace.

by Anonymousreply 250November 8, 2018 5:20 PM

Hugs R249. Are you still in CP?

by Anonymousreply 251November 8, 2018 5:21 PM

This cycle of America's Next Top Mass Murderer is by far the hottest we've had yet!

by Anonymousreply 252November 8, 2018 5:24 PM

Thanks r250. No, r251. He was a great friend to me when we were kids.

by Anonymousreply 253November 8, 2018 5:25 PM

R249 - I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. He was such a hero. I cannot imagine the bravery it takes to walk into an active shooter situation to try to save other people.

by Anonymousreply 254November 8, 2018 5:26 PM

I used to work for the VA hospitals in the Boston area, and the psychiatric departments were horrifying. I would collate and compile files for patients, and you'd see all sorts of stuff about the veterans having, for example, shot up somebody's car or made elaborate plans to take out non-white people they decided were terrorists for no reason, and then the psychiatrist would say there was no reason to think they were a threat to themselves or others.

Soldiers returning from any military operation or war are treated like absolute shit by our government. There is a reason why veterans are so often behind these kinds of crimes.

I guarantee you that not a single Republican in power gives one damn about this shooting, or that it was a veteran.

by Anonymousreply 255November 8, 2018 5:40 PM

Richard Berge, 77, said the former Marine had PTSD and was known to kick in the walls of the home. Long lived with his mother, Berge said.

“She’s a very sweet woman, but she had a lot of problems with the son,” Berge said. “I just know he tore the house up.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256November 8, 2018 5:48 PM

Wow - conservatives promote easier access to firearms while cutting social services (like mental health care for vets) plus most of the victims of gun violence are likely to be close to the shooter somehow - family, ex’s, acquaintances. What do they expect?

A “safe space” where one blends in - like that redneck bar - is the ideal place for an unhinged white man to lash out.

by Anonymousreply 257November 8, 2018 5:51 PM

My boss’s daughter was due to go there last night but decided not to join her friends at the last minute. Her friends are apparently fine.

by Anonymousreply 258November 8, 2018 5:57 PM

The murderer was evaluated by mental health professionals in April because he was irate and acting irrationally.

He was given the all clear!

Just like the POTUS.

by Anonymousreply 259November 8, 2018 6:03 PM

Confirmed: Cody Coffman was murdered.

by Anonymousreply 260November 8, 2018 6:05 PM

[quote][quote]The murderer was evaluated by mental health professionals in April because he was irate and acting irrationally. He was given the all clear!

More proof that the mental health field is not so much a profession as a elaborate guessing game.

by Anonymousreply 261November 8, 2018 6:09 PM

Sanitariums need to be brought back. So many were torn down, and no longer exist. It doesn't have to be like a snake pit..as depicted in old movies, but have the proper care of these people, who shouldn't be on the streets. Too many are beyond help.

by Anonymousreply 262November 8, 2018 6:13 PM

Ron Helus is truly a hero. He was not on duty last night but responded to a call for backup.

by Anonymousreply 263November 8, 2018 6:15 PM

Privatize the goddamn VA. It failed this young man and he may have been better served by the free market, which is better at providing health care, including mental care.

by Anonymousreply 264November 8, 2018 6:20 PM

In my office building there is a shrink who had a male client run amok one day and basically take over the entire lobby of our building while he screamed at his shrink and his mother. This went on and on. I finally called the cops— neither shrink, his mother, or the building management did a goddamned thing.

Front desk staff ran and hid, but didn’t call cops.

Cops came and shrink eventually tried to 5150 him, but the “response team” said they didn’t have enough to take him away.

I’m sure he’ll come back and kill me some day.

PS, this is in Ventura, CA— about 20 miles from where the Borderline shooting happened. Contrary to Thousand Oaks’ supposed higher-income reputation, the area is infested with redneck deplorable losers. It’s always something with this trash.

by Anonymousreply 265November 8, 2018 6:23 PM

Sizemeat verficatia?

by Anonymousreply 266November 8, 2018 6:28 PM

Actually, r264, it has nothing to do with "privatization" or the lack thereof. It has to do with funding.

by Anonymousreply 267November 8, 2018 6:29 PM

I would say that guy looks Mediterranean of some sort. I don't think it was 100% racism to say he looks "Middle Eastern" if the one who said that isn't really that sophisticated.

by Anonymousreply 268November 8, 2018 6:35 PM

Do this was another deplorable murderer?

by Anonymousreply 269November 8, 2018 6:38 PM

The murderer's mother lived in fear for her life yet didn't get him committed on a 5150.

The Sandy Hook elementary school murderer's mother also lived in fear yet didn't have her son committed either.

by Anonymousreply 270November 8, 2018 6:40 PM

Mother's dilemma. I think the Sandy Hook father was the MAJOR CREEP and irresponsible FUCK! Mom of course. But let's remember DAD. He probably gave up on his son AND convincing the ex to stop enabling the son. But you can't. You FUCK your sperm into a woman and make babies, you have responsibilities. The end.

by Anonymousreply 271November 8, 2018 6:42 PM

R264: So he still wouldn't get help because he couldn't afford it in the beloved free market. Just stop.

by Anonymousreply 272November 8, 2018 6:44 PM

R264 ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE!!!!!!!!! FUCK YOUR ASS RAW WITH THE RED HOT RIFLES OF A THOUSAND MENTALLY ILL VET SPREE KILLERS.

by Anonymousreply 273November 8, 2018 6:47 PM

R264, that is a spectacularly bad idea. Privatization is one step away from getting rid of veterans’ care and just throwing them to the mercy of employer insurance, assuming there is any.

It’s exactly the same situation as the mental health institutions. Policiticans decided they weren’t good enough as is, so they destroyed them all to save money. Now we have homeless crazy people on every street corner and after decades, no one’s lifted one finger to get them institutionalized in some modern facility. The government just gave up on them and doesn’t give a shit what happens to them.

Meanwhile, people who are mentally disturbed or have chronic pain from war injuries have nobody to fall back on but the VA. The VA is equipped to deal with unique veteran’s problems. Mainstream caregivers often aren’t.

R270, I’m in a situation where I’m trying to just get someone to see a doctor, period. Every damn law there is protects a mentally ill person from having to get help. No family member or friend can do one damn thing about it. Neither the police or any other social service organization will help. The big excuse is that everything’s confidential so nothing can be done by another person. Meanwhile the crazy person destroys everything in their path and the family just has to be the victim of it.

I feel sorry for the guy’s mother, I bet she tried everything. If you 5150 someone they lose their drivers’ license, so basically no one will 5150 anyone no matter what they do, because most people can’t work without a car in Southern California.

by Anonymousreply 274November 8, 2018 6:52 PM

[quote]The Sandy Hook elementary school murderer's mother also lived in fear yet didn't have her son committed either

She also was gun kook who thought providing him with an arsenal and a shooting hobby would help him with his mental problems. I wish he'd spared Nancy Lanza so she'd have to live with the knowledge of her what her actions caused every day of her miserable life.

by Anonymousreply 275November 8, 2018 6:54 PM

Fascism is eternal. People want to scapegoat and also destroy those identified as "weak" "degenerate" "sick". And if they can't destroy they certainly could NEVER EVER spend a dime on the "expendables".

by Anonymousreply 276November 8, 2018 6:57 PM

R274, i was 5150d and look at me now!

Glad I ain't some crazy white terrorist.

by Anonymousreply 277November 8, 2018 6:58 PM

Combine an insane cost of living with a culture that’s oddly hostile to education, and you get a lot of losers living with their parents in California.

They often have kids quite young, and all live with the grandparents. You basically have no middle class— there are a lot of higher income types and a large “trash class.” It’s very odd and frankly scary.

Not surprised at all this happened in CA.

by Anonymousreply 278November 8, 2018 6:58 PM

R278, do shut up.

by Anonymousreply 279November 8, 2018 7:02 PM

Lol R277

by Anonymousreply 280November 8, 2018 7:04 PM

R270 here. I agree that laws protect the mentally ill.

The mentally ill have rights but so do all those around them!

Why are we putting the onus on the severely mentally ill who are powder kegs waiting to explode as to whether they need treatment?

by Anonymousreply 281November 8, 2018 7:05 PM

R281 meant that the laws protect the mentally ill FROM GETTING THE HELP THEY NEED!

by Anonymousreply 282November 8, 2018 7:07 PM

R274 It's like that in 90 percent of the areas in this country. Living in the united states without a car is a fucking nightmare. The quality of life is pretty much destroyed. You lose your license, you lose everything.

by Anonymousreply 283November 8, 2018 7:14 PM

So don't 5150 the severely mentally ill person because you'd be inconvenienced by having to give them rides?

My brother had to commit his MIL. It was indeed inconvenient to give her rides but he did not want her around his kids. After an ordeal she finally complied with meds and therapy and was better.

by Anonymousreply 284November 8, 2018 7:20 PM

White flight from racially diverse L.A. County to adjacent ones - Ventura, Riverside-San Bernardino, etc. - created hotbeds of regressive conservative insanity. Without minority scapegoats, there’s been renewed class stratification. Cops and ex-military have gravitated to these outskirt counties. Also, LOTS of guns and drugs. They are turning on themselves now.

by Anonymousreply 285November 8, 2018 7:31 PM

I have never owned a car and get around NYC just fine. You can’t generalize all of America like that.

by Anonymousreply 286November 8, 2018 7:51 PM

R284 the problem is that not everyone has that type of support system. For someone who doesn't, losing a license can just hinder any chance of recovery because they are trapped in their house like a prison.

by Anonymousreply 287November 8, 2018 7:52 PM

I'm watching CNN.. the father of Cody Coffman... gut wrenching.

by Anonymousreply 288November 8, 2018 7:52 PM

This is actually the 4th shooting in the past 2 weeks:

10/24: Kroger grocery store in KY

10/27: Tree of Life synagogue in PA

11/2: Yoga studio in FL

11/7: Bar in CA

by Anonymousreply 289November 8, 2018 7:54 PM

R286 oh no question that you can get around in new york. I am talking about the vast majority of places in this country, that's why I said 90 percent. Most of America is still unlivable without a vehicle, and not just places that are very rural either.

by Anonymousreply 290November 8, 2018 7:54 PM

R288, I watched that too and started crying. The last thing he said to his son was “I love you.”

by Anonymousreply 291November 8, 2018 8:03 PM

I can see why some people thought he was Middle Eastern, especially in a dark club.

by Anonymousreply 292November 8, 2018 8:18 PM

I can’t read the details of this story without crying. Especially watching them honor the fallen officer.

by Anonymousreply 293November 8, 2018 8:21 PM

Don't forget about us, r293

by Anonymousreply 294November 8, 2018 8:24 PM

R291

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295November 8, 2018 8:32 PM

I almost wish the victims weren’t on social media. One has an AR painted in US flag colors. Another has Benghazi propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 296November 8, 2018 8:37 PM

Then they were deplorables. If they didn’t support gun control then they reaped what they sowed.

by Anonymousreply 297November 8, 2018 8:51 PM

r293, same here. I'm feeling sick and depressed about this shooting today. I'm no deplorable, but I do have a friend who lives several blocks from the shooting and she's devastated. I also have two cousins who go to Pepperdine (they are not deplorables), and know one of the victims. I've personal been affected by another school shooting at Thurston High 20 years ago. The point is you never know when one of these shootings with tear your life apart.

by Anonymousreply 298November 8, 2018 9:04 PM

If they're so mentally ill that they're risking my life, my partner's life or the life of my loved ones by letting them run free and un-medicated, then we need to change the laws so they can hold or fucking incarcerate them. They will still be ALIVE under observation and sedation! NOT changing laws to make it easier to 5150 these people risk their lives AND their innocent victims.

by Anonymousreply 299November 8, 2018 9:05 PM

TL; DR — Thousand Oaks is in southern Ventura County, not in the San Fernando Valley.

by Anonymousreply 300November 8, 2018 9:09 PM

That poor father :(

by Anonymousreply 301November 8, 2018 9:09 PM

How the hell did did the shooter look "Middle Eastern?" Where did that description come from? Seems like something a Muslim hating bigot would say.

by Anonymousreply 302November 8, 2018 9:11 PM

We need to stop with calling any man with swarthy looks as middle eastern. i prefer Mediterranean.

by Anonymousreply 303November 8, 2018 9:14 PM

I mean this in the nicest way possible thank god this asshole picked a weeknight and not a Friday or Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 304November 8, 2018 9:15 PM

A bit about Pepperdine, One of the kindest, most accepting Christians I know became liberalized at Pepperdine. He’s the real deal sort of Christian. Helping those in need, completely against bigotry and the sort of racist paranoia that has caused an obsession with guns. He supports gay marriage, thinks that abortion is none of his business, and always calls down right wing Christians on Facebook. He’s white. He grew up in Pearland TX going to an extremely conservative Church of Christ. He should be a deplorable. But he went to the CofC Pepperdine and it completely upended his worldview. He said there are so many professors there that teach their mostly sheltered, conservative students to consider other perspectives and how to engage in real critical thinking.

Hardline Church of Christers like the ones I grew up around are now afraid to send their kids to Pepperdine because they think it was infiltrated by an evil, worldly agenda. Because, you see, real Christians worship the American flag, are eager for war, hate immigrants, hate gays, are happy to see poor, sick people be denied health insurance because it somehow means they’ll pay a few bucks less in taxes, hate black people who grew up in the US with a different experience and dare to speak out about it, believe in any whacko conspiracy that feeds their inner hate beast, and stockpile guns and ammo in anticipation of the day they’ll will be called to do the work of the Lord and blow some people away.

by Anonymousreply 305November 8, 2018 9:28 PM

r302 Every time a mass shooting has occurred, I have looked on twitter to find that within minutes a large number of conspiracy nuts/bots are spreading that it was done by a Muslim or Black man. I think they do it to distract from the reality that these are almost always white deplorables. I first noticed it immediately after the Vegas shooting, I was online right when it happened and saw it in the first few minutes, same with the church shooter. For the church shooter, they spread it was a Black man.

by Anonymousreply 306November 8, 2018 9:40 PM

Russia actually responds quickly to that and amplifies the worst conspiracy theories within half an hour or so after those events happen. They've got a system down.

by Anonymousreply 307November 8, 2018 9:44 PM

Pepperdine = Kenneth Starr

They knew the message they were sending when they put the DEVIL in charge!

by Anonymousreply 308November 8, 2018 9:58 PM

The shooter was just another ASSHOLE in this world. Let's be honest here, there are Male and female assholes who take their shit out on other people.

Las Vegas, sandy hook, pulse nightclub, San Bernardino, etc.

PTSD or not, he was s piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 309November 8, 2018 10:07 PM

he looks like my current Marine Fuck buddy in that photo at r181.

That's unnerving.

by Anonymousreply 310November 8, 2018 10:10 PM

We need to bring back state-run psychiatric villages. Here in CT, we used to have the Mansfield Training School, a huge campus in the middle of the woods where all the nutters in the state were sent and it worked out well for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 311November 8, 2018 10:23 PM

America has a mental illness problem. Laws need to be changed so that when someone puts themselves or others in danger, something can be done before, not after, people are murdered.

Do these laws have a better chance than assault rifles being banned?

Why on earth do civilians have assault rifles again???

by Anonymousreply 312November 8, 2018 10:32 PM

And now fires have erupted in the area

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313November 8, 2018 10:45 PM

R312, this will not change a thing. Expect another two of these “incidents” before the end of the month, minimum.

There ARE men and some women out there who, unfortunately, suffer from untreated depression, delusional disorders, paranoia, schizo-effective illness, and major PTSD.

Here’s something else people rarely mention: untreated PTSD can and will, bring in any of the other disorders listed above, and/or mimic them. Also, the longer PTSD is left untreated, the worse it becomes.

Another note: plenty of addicts are self medicating due to untreated PTSD. Same with alcoholics. PTSD isn’t something that occurs only in war/combat situations. It also happens when kids grow up in highly dysfunctional and fucked up homes. PTSD is the brain, not finding a way to deal with, process, or heal trauma. It is absolutely debilitating and has to be addressed for people to function well.

Lots of children that come from screwed up homes, go into the military. They get out, and become cops, etc. The ones that can’t get into the department, are the ones who cannot pass a psych evaluation, by simply lying.

Either way, we have a large number of really traumatized men and women out there, policing are streets, or living on SSI before the age of 30, because they never got the mental health care they needed.

I’m not sure how we will ever turn something like this around. I do not believe that we will ever overcome this as a country. Never.

by Anonymousreply 314November 8, 2018 10:49 PM

Mother of shooting victim Telemachus Orfanos. She says he survived the #LasVegasShooting but did not survive the #ThousandOaksMassacre.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315November 8, 2018 10:51 PM

Thanks for posting the video link, R315. I can't even imagine that woman's pain. She is right: no thoughts and prayers, we need gun control.

by Anonymousreply 316November 8, 2018 10:54 PM

@jpanzar

You can see an air tanker above the #WoolseyFire from the gas station across the street from the #BorderLineShooting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317November 8, 2018 11:00 PM

Jesus, imagine surviving the Vegas shooting, and going to a club months later, to get shot and killed in another massacre.

What are the odds?

He would have been better off becoming a hermit, and buying lottery tickets every week.

by Anonymousreply 318November 8, 2018 11:18 PM

[quote]R297 If they didn’t support gun control then they reaped what they sowed.

Well, that’s true.

by Anonymousreply 319November 8, 2018 11:27 PM

R265 I live in Ventura and I read that thinking, "Sounds about right...".

by Anonymousreply 320November 8, 2018 11:29 PM

[quote]R302 How the hell did did the shooter look "Middle Eastern?" Where did that description come from? Seems like something a Muslim hating bigot would say.

I hope that witness who claimed that is raked over the coals.

What does “Middle Eastern” look like to him? Brown eyes??

by Anonymousreply 321November 8, 2018 11:30 PM

Especially since it has been confirmed that he entered wearing sunglasses and a piece of black cloth covering his mouth, chin and jaw. How exactly did he see enough skin to even determine ethnicity? That is racism for you!

by Anonymousreply 322November 8, 2018 11:33 PM

Ventura isn’t just white Deplorables. Lot’s of working class Mexican Americans live there too. Most of them have kids who end up going to college and end up in decent jobs.

by Anonymousreply 323November 8, 2018 11:34 PM

Take all of these basement-dwelling incel loser pieces of shit and drop them on an island somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 324November 8, 2018 11:36 PM

Ventura has a lot of white liberals as well, they aren't all rednecks. Thousand Oaks isn't a bad area at all.

by Anonymousreply 325November 8, 2018 11:37 PM

r323, r325 Correct, remember that Thousand Oaks resident Antonio Sabato Jr. lost the election earlier this week.

by Anonymousreply 326November 8, 2018 11:39 PM

I used to beat my meat to Antonio Sabato Jr. when I was a teen.

by Anonymousreply 327November 8, 2018 11:41 PM

"Let's be honest here, there are Male and female assholes who take their shit out on other people.".

Give me a break, honey. Mass shooters are about 99% male.

by Anonymousreply 328November 9, 2018 12:25 AM

[quote]Jesus, imagine surviving the Vegas shooting, and going to a club months later, to get shot and killed in another massacre. What are the odds?

The odds are called AMERICA. God, I love this crazy country!

by Anonymousreply 329November 9, 2018 12:42 AM

[quote] Thousand Oaks isn't a bad area at all.

It's obviously not all that great either.

by Anonymousreply 330November 9, 2018 12:43 AM

R314 You must not know any service-connected veterans. If you develop severe PTSD and other severe mental problems while serving in the forces, you are eligible for a service connection pension. Currently, if you are a 100 % service connected veteran, you will get about $4000/month tax free and, of course, free healthcare from the VA.

All veterans are aware of service connected benefits and if suffering mental or physical conditions due to service, will apply for the benefits (or their family apply on their behalf).

I have a friend who was rendered partially deaf in the first Gulf war, and he is 20% service connected and gets 20 % of $4000 every month for life.

by Anonymousreply 331November 9, 2018 1:12 AM

Contry music just does bad things to people.

by Anonymousreply 332November 9, 2018 1:39 AM

Conchy muzik iz best muzik!

by Anonymousreply 333November 9, 2018 1:43 AM

Rita (Mrs. Tom Hanks) Wilson recently sang at the Borderline. She posted this on Facebook:

"My heart breaks for the families and victims of the @borderlinebar tragedy. Our neighborhood club, inclusive of all, providing joy and happiness to those who frequented. We can pray. And we will. But, we must change. People are hurting. Conversations need to be had. Resolutions and comprises must arise. Change has to happen. Love to all who are suffering."

by Anonymousreply 334November 9, 2018 1:51 AM

Were such an angry, empty society . I wonder if part of it is that we don't have much of a unified culture or history (IE everyone's ancestors came from somewhere else ). So people don't feel much of a connection to each other, or a sense of shared values.

by Anonymousreply 335November 9, 2018 2:04 AM

He was not middle eastern. Racists see what they want to see. Another angry, single, young white male!!

by Anonymousreply 336November 9, 2018 2:11 AM

NEWBURY PARK (CBSLA) — The Thousand Oaks shooter’s high school track coach says that he assaulted her.

“I turned on the news and I was watching it and when they said his name my jaw just dropped,” said Dominique Colell.

Ian David Long is the name this former high school coach hadn’t heard in a long time. But it’s one she never forgot.

“He attacked me. He attacked his high school track coach,” said Colell. “Who does that?”

For the former Newbury Park High School track coach this day has been full of emotions — from sadness to guilt. Because she never filed charges against Long after she says he assaulted her his senior year.

Colell says it happened during practice when someone found a phone and she was trying to figure out who it belonged to.

“Ian came up and started screaming at me that was his phone,” said Colell. “He just started grabbing me. He groped my stomach. He groped my butt. I pushed him off me and said after that — ‘you’re off the team.’ “

But Colell says she was encouraged by other coaches and the school to accept an apology to not ruin his future in the Marine Corps.

“I should have reported it then,” said Colell.

And although she never would have predicted this, Colell says she doesn’t believe this is just a case of PTSD. She says Long had issues long before he was ever a Marine.

“There are hundreds of thousands of people with PTSD,” said Colell. “They don’t go around shooting people. This kid was mentally disturbed in high school. There were signs and the administration knew it.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337November 9, 2018 2:13 AM

I think you're right, r335. People look for that in church, which often fucks them up (con artist preachers - nasty, hateful theology) and disconnects them more than the were to begin with (from outsiders).

by Anonymousreply 338November 9, 2018 2:14 AM

I'm surprised there hasn't been a shooting where I am in indiana yet. I'm expecting one at this point. Anyone under 18 can just go to a small gun shop and buy all the weapons to his heart's desire.

by Anonymousreply 339November 9, 2018 2:22 AM

Until yesterday, Thousand Oaks was rated the third safest city in the country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340November 9, 2018 2:47 AM

"I was playing Scattergories the other day and needed "Something you yell" that starts with 'A' and I got two points for Allahu Akbar. Just a fun fact."

I got more points when I got a "K" and shouted "Kiernan Shipka!"

Also, my fact was more fun.

by Anonymousreply 341November 9, 2018 3:30 AM

"This has happened throughout all of history. Sometimes people snap. They RUN AMOK. We will never be 100% safe from essentially a malfunctioning human hard drive suddenly going on the fritz, no matter how much gun control and good mental health services we have. It's like lightning. All we can do is teach people how to respond.

America, apart from some ghettos with gang violence, is one of the most safest places to live in the history of the universe. You're just as likely to win the lottery than be involved in a mass shooting. Yes, it does seem common, but less people are dying violent deaths than ever before."

What lying Trumpster posted this shit? No, America isn't the safest place in the world (not even close) and, no, we aren't living in the safest era in history. You are just a Trumpster trying to justify our obsession with guns. And, no, mass shootings haven't always happened.

by Anonymousreply 342November 9, 2018 3:30 AM

r334 I thought they lived in Pacific Palisades. How on earth is a bar in Thousand Oaks their "neighborhood" place?

by Anonymousreply 343November 9, 2018 3:35 AM

R337 I agree with her. He may well very have had PTSD but he was a psychopath long before it. He has all the characteristics of previous shooters (man child coddled by his mother, still living at home, no girlfriend, wore black trenchcoat, etc). We've already learned he had been to the bar before and I won't be surprised if we find out he was angry at women for not going out with him (like Elliot Rodger).

by Anonymousreply 344November 9, 2018 3:50 AM

Did they ever find out if he was the same guy snatching wigs off of orthodox Jewish women? It wouldn't surprise me if it were the same person.

by Anonymousreply 345November 9, 2018 4:13 AM

R345 Different guy and he's been arrested

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346November 9, 2018 7:20 AM

Nothing will stop ammosexuals. I know a guy who was at the Vegas shooting and his response is "we all need to be packing heat"

He's also a fat 50 year old white drunk who I would never depend on in this kind of crisis

by Anonymousreply 347November 9, 2018 7:35 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348November 9, 2018 8:37 AM

It's starting to look like the PTSD had nothing to do with it and everything to do with him being another incel. TMZ is saying he posted on Instagram during the shooting and it was probably a revenge killing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349November 9, 2018 9:09 AM

“A former classmate of Long's tells TMZ, Long was bullied in high school. She says his fellow students made fun of him because he had a lazy eye, and it affected him deeply. The classmate says a lot of those students go to that bar on Wednesday nights. She says he knew some of the people who teased him would be there.”

A lazy eye??? This psych killed people over a fucking wonky eye???

This is why I despise TMZ. Though this murderer may have been teased over a lazy eye, that right there is not the actual motive. And to post the IG video of him shooting up this bar is really fucked up. Why is TMZ so irresponsible? They truly do appeal to the lowest common denominator among society.

Harvey Levin is pure SCUM.

by Anonymousreply 350November 9, 2018 10:51 AM

Trump Massmedia Zone

by Anonymousreply 351November 9, 2018 12:08 PM

His poor mother had begged for help, of course no one would listen to the little mother. Men...men are such arrogant assholes.

by Anonymousreply 352November 9, 2018 12:27 PM

r321- after 9/11 happened, my late step-father (Russian Jew, very pale, dark eyebrows and dark curly hair, surname Bronson) would be detained at the airport EVERY SINGLE TIME because they thought he looked middle eastern.

by Anonymousreply 353November 9, 2018 12:44 PM

Of course they didn't want to ruin the white boy's future by reporting an assault! Of course they ignored scary behavior reported by this Incel's own MOTHER! No one could possibly be fucking surprised by any of this, it's just another violent straight, white male snowflake meltdown who can't handle that he doesn't have the life he feels he's entitled to.

by Anonymousreply 354November 9, 2018 12:53 PM

R354 Sadly you are right. How on earth did he ever get through training for becoming a Marine? The murderer posted on some forum that he was very frustrated with college because some younger guy supposedly talked down to him. Raging narcissistic sociopathic egomaniac!

by Anonymousreply 355November 9, 2018 1:18 PM

This nutcase should've been locked up years ago.

by Anonymousreply 356November 9, 2018 1:28 PM

I don’t believe he was straight. Yes, he has “gay face”.

I think that was part of his rage. He was upset that women couldn’t make him straight, because women wouldn’t date him.

Here’s the thing.: MOST, not all, but most straight women can pick up on a man’s sexual orientation. Not when we’re younger. But once we hit 30, most of us can tell. If we grew up in a big, cosmopolitan city, we can tell sooner than later.

It’s survival of the species. We are biologically programmed to know, and then, we just pick up on small cues. It’s harder to tell when we are younger, because we aren’t usually deciding to marry and start families, when we are teenagers.

Regardless of his sexual orientation, the perp was good looking enough to have found a partner. It was his antisocial personality disorder and behavior, that prohibited him from doing so.

by Anonymousreply 357November 9, 2018 1:38 PM

I am morbidly curious to know what a spree killer Tweets during the act.

Today I'm listening to the Gator Nation podcast. A day of dark subject matter. I am, not ironically, cleaning (my house) while listening.

Dirty dirty society, sometimes.

Incels are men and this is a form of toxic masculinity.

Gay guy here, never had problems socially or getting laid or having relationships.

by Anonymousreply 358November 9, 2018 2:20 PM

Well, now you have.

by Anonymousreply 359November 9, 2018 2:56 PM

[quote]R335 Were such an angry, empty society .

[italic]we’re

by Anonymousreply 360November 9, 2018 3:40 PM

Guns are part of it, but I think Michael Moore was on to something in "Bowling for Columbine." It's not JUST guns. Canada has tons of guns too.

We are a culture in which many people are being fed the line that the world is insanely hostile and out to get them. We also have a war machine that dumps buckets of cash into the pockets of the 1% every time we attack someone. So you have people afraid and paranoid about everything, and you have legions of people with either PTSD or who have become accustomed to shooting people who are causing them problems. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see a connection.

by Anonymousreply 361November 9, 2018 4:01 PM

[quote]You never heard of stuff like this out there.

JFC. This shit again.

[quote]Overseas poster here. Will see you for the next one in a week or two.

Which really means: “In a day or two”.

[quote]I think the reason the witness thought he was Middle Eastern is because he was dressed like a stereotypical terrorist, not that he looked like one.

Bullshit.

[quote]Poor right-wingers, they were so determined and counting on this asshole to be a Muslim, but it is just another white dude.

This. The fact that he was ex-military and deployed to Afghanistan to fight “those Goddamned terrorist Muslims”, no less, make this even richer. (And it was not just the right-wingers who wanted him to be a Muslim.)

[quote]Every time a mass shooting has occurred, I have looked on twitter to find that within minutes a large number of conspiracy nuts/bots are spreading that it was done by a Muslim or Black man.

[quote]Russia actually responds quickly to that and amplifies the worst conspiracy theories within half an hour or so after those events happen.

The US does not require Russia to amplify its own biases, hate, and bullshit. The US does quite well with that on its own.

by Anonymousreply 362November 9, 2018 4:32 PM

[quote] No one could possibly be fucking surprised by any of this, it's just another violent straight, white male snowflake meltdown who can't handle that he doesn't have the life he feels he's entitled to.

This current generation should feel angry that they are doing worse than their parents despite having a higher education. I don't condone violence, obviously, but why act so surprised that there are so many young people, especially men, who feel displaced in today's society?

by Anonymousreply 363November 9, 2018 4:44 PM

It's the cost of living and lack of job opportunities, plus student loan debt. Harder for young people to get ahead than it was for their parents' generation.

Of course, there is no excuse for shooting anyone.

by Anonymousreply 364November 9, 2018 4:45 PM

He didn't shoot people because of the bad economy -- he shot people because he has always been a nut.

by Anonymousreply 365November 9, 2018 4:48 PM

[quote] This current generation should feel angry that they are doing worse than their parents despite having a higher education. I don't condone violence, obviously, but why act so surprised that there are so many young people, especially men, who feel displaced in today's society?

I am 61. I could almost be the shooters grandfather

Did I do better than my dad? Hell no! he came out of college after WWII (GI Bill) and got a job that he kept until he retired. He raised a family, bought a house, 2 cars, and took yearly vacations on one income. He never missed the 5:20 train home from the city, no nights, weekends, or holidays were expected. Certainly no email or mobile phones to disturb him when he was not in the office.

I worked full-time, went to college at night and piled up plenty of debt. After a series of dead-end jobs and corporate downsizing, I landed a decent corporate job, (at 35, 6 years older than the shooter) and it took me 5 long years to dig myself out of debt, but I did it.

My point is, unless you're a 1%-er, life is never easy. I got angry at my situation plenty of times, but I also got dressed and went to work (as I still do now).

by Anonymousreply 366November 9, 2018 5:08 PM

I knew a Boomer would chime in.

by Anonymousreply 367November 9, 2018 5:11 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368November 9, 2018 5:28 PM

"It could have been me" pity it wasn't!

by Anonymousreply 369November 9, 2018 5:47 PM

R363, many gay, lesbian, disabled, female and POC face 'not doing as well', either. In every aspect of life and every day. Some are angry and some aren't.

Who generally seems to be handling it like violent losers and hurting others and who aren't?

by Anonymousreply 370November 9, 2018 5:48 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371November 9, 2018 5:53 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372November 9, 2018 5:56 PM

R368 They seized on the one stupid thing he said. His tweetstorm actually makes a lot of good points and is one of the most intelligent arguments I've read about sensible gun control.

by Anonymousreply 373November 9, 2018 5:59 PM

R370 Many do lash out but it isn't reported as much because the incidents don't take place in upper class neighborhoods. Females are doing quite well, at least compared to the past, where they weren't expected to be the bread winners. The fact that they are delaying marriage to pursue their careers, is probably contributing to the feeling of inadequacy of men.

by Anonymousreply 374November 9, 2018 6:06 PM

R315 That is so sad. 58 people were shot and killed in Las Vegas on October 1, 2017. Her son Telemachus Orfanos was amongst a group that survived that. But he was murdered along with 11 others in Thousand Oaks. He was an Eagle Scout and a Navy veteran and only 27; he was less than 10 minutes from his home.

Can these grieving parents and loved ones change any hearts or minds? I'm still hearing crickets on mental health laws and gun control.

by Anonymousreply 375November 9, 2018 6:29 PM

Why has this thread been greyed out?

by Anonymousreply 376November 9, 2018 6:29 PM

Thousand Oaks Shooter Mocked ‘Hopes and Prayers’ in Pre-Shooting Facebook Post

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377November 9, 2018 6:55 PM

How did an 18 year old die? I thought the drinking age/bar age in CA was 21?

by Anonymousreply 378November 9, 2018 7:06 PM

Yes, r370, it is ALL the career gals' faults for not wanting to be forced to stay home and have screaming babies.

by Anonymousreply 379November 9, 2018 7:07 PM

R378 It was an 18-and-over night.

by Anonymousreply 380November 9, 2018 7:27 PM

R377 Shit! That doesn't sound like something a Trump supporter would say.

by Anonymousreply 381November 9, 2018 7:31 PM

I'm sure there are (some) Trumpkins who know how much of a bullshit empty phrase "thoughts and prayers" is.

by Anonymousreply 382November 9, 2018 7:34 PM

My Trump-humping in-law was at the Vegas shooting. All the guns in the world couldn't have stopped that because the guy was so far away and high up.

He still thinks "we all need to be carrying at all times!"

by Anonymousreply 383November 9, 2018 7:37 PM

If you were too young to drink you got a special hand stamp and were denied alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 384November 9, 2018 7:47 PM

R377 Republicans trying to claim that since the shooter used a democratic talking point and was likely targeting conservatives.

by Anonymousreply 385November 9, 2018 7:58 PM

R381 It had nothing to do with politics. He was a nut and psychopath from an early age and introduced to guns (probably by his mom) at early age. Then the predictable eventually happened. The details of these antisocial incel shooters are so predictable by now that newspapers should just run the same article over and over and just change the name.

by Anonymousreply 386November 9, 2018 7:58 PM

R386, women do not usually introduce their children to guns. That is something that is usually done by the patriarch in the family, with the exception being the Sandy Hook killer.

by Anonymousreply 387November 9, 2018 9:10 PM

...sources say it is believed he was aware of the police response and was waiting for their arrival when he shot and killed Sgt Ron Helus.

Documents obtained by ABC News show Long posted on social media at 11:24 p.m. saying, "It's too bad I won't get to see all the illogical and pathetic reasons people will put in my mouth as to why I did it. Fact is I had no reason to do it, and I just thought... f***it, life is boring so why not?"

Then, at 11:27 p.m., he posted, "I hope people call me insane (2 smiley face emojis)...wouldn't that just be a big ball of irony? Yeah... I'm insane, but the only thing you people do after these shootings is 'hopes and prayers'... or 'keep you in my thoughts'... every time... and wonder why these keep happening... (2 more smiley face emojis).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388November 9, 2018 9:22 PM

Putting him on a 5150 hold wouldn't have done any good. If he was together enough to keep from actively threatening to kill anyone for 72 hours or less, and he undoubtedly was, they would have released him and he would have gone back to his terrified mother angrier than ever. 5150 holds only result in commitment if the person is disorganized (crazy) enough that they can't act sane and lie to the doctors for a couple of days, they'll release anyone who is together enough to say "No, I didn't intend to kill myself or another person" for three days in a row, and these mass shooter are all organized enough to disguise their intent.

So no, a 5150 hold won't do diddly squat to stop a person who is fucking evil and out to kill.

I don't know how to stop people who are fucking evil and who intend to kill, other than to restrict access to guns.

by Anonymousreply 389November 9, 2018 10:15 PM

Yes, a person on a 5150 is usually released in 72 hours.

by Anonymousreply 390November 9, 2018 10:17 PM

[quote] It had nothing to do with politics. He was a nut and psychopath from an early age and introduced to guns (probably by his mom) at early age. Then the predictable eventually happened.

It's funny that the republicans said the same thing about the pipe bomber and pittsburg shooter but were shouted down.

by Anonymousreply 391November 9, 2018 10:28 PM

The evening CBS news here in NYC, and TMZ, reported that the shooting wasn't random, that he hung out at that bar regularly and that he was looking for a specific group of people he knew who had been tormenting and teasing him since high school. He knew they would be there.

by Anonymousreply 392November 9, 2018 10:44 PM

Vice article about why California's "red flag" law didn't stop him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393November 9, 2018 10:50 PM

Has anyone told us that he is rather handsome?

by Anonymousreply 394November 9, 2018 10:51 PM

The bomber and the shooter had very specific ideologies that they wanted to be known, R391. Go fuck your deplorable self.

by Anonymousreply 395November 9, 2018 10:53 PM

R392 that's very interesting . Were they still teasing him or was this all about high school?

by Anonymousreply 396November 9, 2018 11:22 PM

29 years old and still caught up in shit that happened in high school!

by Anonymousreply 397November 9, 2018 11:25 PM

[quote]29 years old and still caught up in shit that happened in high school!

How ridiculous of him! After all, the rest of us are completely unaffected by things that happened to us and how we were treated when we were very young.

by Anonymousreply 398November 9, 2018 11:42 PM

R396, I'm willing to bet that those guys hadn't teased or bullied him since high school, if they ever did, and he's been stalking them in recent years. And when they tried to make him go away because he was a creep, he told himself that he was still being "bullied". It sounds like he wanted someone to focus his anger on, because some people like nothing better than having someone to hate and to blame for all their problems.

Which really explains a lot about modern politics.

by Anonymousreply 399November 9, 2018 11:48 PM

No comment. Just wanted to be #400

by Anonymousreply 400November 9, 2018 11:51 PM

Was he really an "incel"? Did he post on their creepy forums? If so, he proved what the entire Datalounge said about those guys, that they aren't getting laid because they're physically unattractive, they aren't getting laid because they're massively creepy and no sane woman would stick around. Because this guy is physically attractive enough, average to slightly above average.

And like I said, the FBI ought to be monitoring those Incel forums. Those guys are a genuine menace to society.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401November 9, 2018 11:52 PM

r398 if you're still reliving high school at that age, it's not normal.

by Anonymousreply 402November 9, 2018 11:59 PM

With some people, a setback (losing his girlfriend) often brings up all sorts of past issues that have been long dormant.

by Anonymousreply 403November 10, 2018 12:05 AM

Appreciate the info about how a teenager managed to be in a bar in CA.

by Anonymousreply 404November 10, 2018 12:06 AM

Some states allow 18 year-olds on certain nights.

With this guy's history of psychiatric issues and conflicts with the police, he obviously never should have been allowed anywhere near guns but that doesn't seem to matter in the good old US of A. It's sickening.

by Anonymousreply 405November 10, 2018 12:14 AM

Regarding what would have happened if the killer had been put on a 5150 back when he was getting violent at home a few months ago: the hospital files a form and the killer would have not been able to buy a gun legally. 5150 hold = cannot buy gun legally.

by Anonymousreply 406November 10, 2018 12:39 AM

What happens if he purchased guns before a 5150 hold? Would the guns be taken away?

by Anonymousreply 407November 10, 2018 12:44 AM

Could he still be categorized for as an incel if he was married for a few years? I thought all incels were virgins.

by Anonymousreply 408November 10, 2018 12:49 AM

[quote]R374 The fact that [women] are delaying marriage to pursue their careers, is probably contributing to the feeling of inadequacy of men.

Um, straight men usually have to be dragged kicking and screaming to the altar. Most would be DELIGHTED if the whole concept of marriage were abolished, and couples just lived together, moving on when it suited them.

by Anonymousreply 409November 10, 2018 1:04 AM

[quote]R375 That is so sad. 58 people were shot and killed in Las Vegas on October 1, 2017. Her son Telemachus Orfanos was amongst a group that survived that. But he was murdered along with 11 others in Thousand Oaks.

Too bad he was a barfly that couldn’t stay away.

by Anonymousreply 410November 10, 2018 1:07 AM

"[R374] The fact that [women] are delaying marriage to pursue their careers, is probably contributing to the feeling of inadequacy of men."

The sort of straight men who complain that women are making them feel emasculated when they follow careers, are the same sort of men who whine that women who expect their husbands to support them are lazy, selfish, demanding, and emasculating.

Basically they feel emasculated, and blame women because they don't want to look inside themselves.

by Anonymousreply 411November 10, 2018 1:07 AM

He was briefly married to an aspiring fitness model. She looks like the sort of Instagram model that the average straight man thinks is hot enough.

by Anonymousreply 412November 10, 2018 1:18 AM

Would someone who follows this case please clarify whether he really is an "incel", or if someone misused the term to describe a misfit misogynist asshole who blames women for all his problems? Was he part of their horrible incel society, a member of their forums?

Because the incels are a very specific kind of misfit misogynist asshole who blame women for all their problem, not every needledick with a gun and a grudge is an incel.

by Anonymousreply 413November 10, 2018 1:35 AM

"incels" are a not very specific kind of misfit.

The word is not used by the legal and medical professions.

It is an inane buzzword which will be replaced next year.

by Anonymousreply 414November 10, 2018 1:41 AM

He might have been incel-adjacent.

by Anonymousreply 415November 10, 2018 1:43 AM

[quote] The sort of straight men who complain that women are making them feel emasculated when they follow careers, are the same sort of men who whine that women who expect their husbands to support them are lazy, selfish, demanding, and emasculating.

That may be true now but it was socially acceptable not too long ago in our history for women to be homemakers. Modern mores haven't totally caught up with our socialization, which is why some men still feel inadequate if their female partner makes more money than them. Women still have a choice as to whether or not they want to put career first, while men, generally, do not.

by Anonymousreply 416November 10, 2018 1:50 AM

^ That's the Millennial kind of double-speak with which the Democrats are losing voters.

by Anonymousreply 417November 10, 2018 1:50 AM

where are you all getting he is an incels or angry at women from?

He seems to be pissed at THOSE people he shot. It was not random. He knew those people and he targeted them.

by Anonymousreply 418November 10, 2018 1:52 AM

R389, unfortunately, some of these people are fucked up from go. There really isn’t much of a solution for this, when pretty much anyone out there can buy a gun.

So yeah. You’re right.

by Anonymousreply 419November 10, 2018 2:00 AM

He was an incel and was one since at least high school:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420November 10, 2018 2:08 AM

It's been proposed many times that people should be able to pass a psychiatric evaluation before they are allowed to own a gun. Of course it won't solve everything, but it would be a preventative measure in some cases.

by Anonymousreply 421November 10, 2018 2:09 AM

R421, most people are smart enough to know that lying to psychiatrists usually works.

by Anonymousreply 422November 10, 2018 2:14 AM

[quote]R416 it was socially acceptable not too long ago in our history for women to be homemakers.

It is still “socially acceptable” for women to be homemakers. It’s primarily a thankless job full of drudgery...but no one’s shocked when a woman agrees to take on that role.

by Anonymousreply 423November 10, 2018 2:24 AM

In a sign of the times, he paused his massacre to update his social media:

"Law enforcement sources who have been briefed on the Thousand Oaks mass shooting investigation tell ABC News that preliminary information indicates suspected gunman Ian David Long walked into the Borderline Bar & Grill, immediately shot a group of security guards and employees standing near the entrance, and then paused to text or post messages on social media. After a pause he then began shooting victims on the dance floor."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424November 10, 2018 2:34 AM

R80, this was an outing night for conservative Pepperdine university students and students from a Lutheran college

by Anonymousreply 425November 10, 2018 2:44 AM

R425 Who told you that the Pepperdine university students were conservative?

by Anonymousreply 426November 10, 2018 3:02 AM

"Um, straight men usually have to be dragged kicking and screaming to the altar. Most would be DELIGHTED if the whole concept of marriage were abolished, and couples just lived together, moving on when it suited them."

Study after study has shown that this is just not true. I'm only posting a link to one, but there are many more. Most straight men like being married, and why wouldn't they? Women wind up doing all the cooking and housework, even when they work full-time jobs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427November 10, 2018 3:19 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428November 10, 2018 4:33 AM

^ Well, I have to agree with the Mail Online; "Why wasn't the gunman committed after April standoff?".

by Anonymousreply 429November 10, 2018 4:47 AM

[quote][R375] That is so sad. 58 people were shot and killed in Las Vegas on October 1, 2017. Her son Telemachus Orfanos was amongst a group that survived that. But he was murdered along with 11 others in Thousand Oaks.

[quote]Too bad he was a barfly that couldn’t stay away.

There are sociopaths posting here for sure.

by Anonymousreply 430November 10, 2018 4:51 AM

The mental health system can't save you from these guys, not it its current form. As I said above, anyone who is capable of denying that they intend to commit a crime is going to be released from a 5150 hold, and the mental hospitals are underfunded and have few spaces available, and very few of them are set up to deal with patients who are violent or dangerous.

And the fact is, that most of these mass murderers aren't so much mentally ill as fucking EVIL. They do not want help from psychiatrists, what they want is to hold onto their grudges until they can get revenge or just hurt other people, and a psychiatrist cant do anything about that but report any death threats they here to the police. The psychiatric profession can neither contain these people or cure them.

No, the only things that can be done can be done by the legal and justice systems. For a start, they need to keep guns out of the hands of the fucking EVIL, and they also need to get more serious about white men who harass or assault others. Look at any mass murderer, and you'll probably find a trail of arrests for assault, harassment, destruction, or domestic or non-domestic violence, which were dismissed or minimally penalized because they weren't perpetrated by kids from the ghetto. These guys couldn't shoot up bars if they were in jail!

by Anonymousreply 431November 10, 2018 4:55 AM

Thousand Oaks makes the 307th mass shooting in 311 days!

Where to begin changing people's behavior to say something when they see and hear someone being threatening and or violent with intent to inflict harm? There are most always red flags with these killers, like this sociopath that assaulted his track coach in high school and made his mom live in constant fear.

Gun control can't happen until Democrats get into the House but even then what hope to they have to enact reasonable gun control?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432November 10, 2018 1:36 PM

R431 is correct. Change the laws.

Do all you can for others safety, rather than be concerned over the future prospects of some 'poor guy'. If he can't or won't exercise self-control, fuck him.

Those 'others' are Sandy Hook kids and teachers. Those 'others' are Pulse patrons. Those 'others' are you and me and our partners and family.

by Anonymousreply 433November 10, 2018 2:27 PM

Universal health care has made Canadians and their European counterparts less violent than Americans. It creates a less perceived notion of income discrepancy between the rich and the poor, thus creating less feelings of envy and jealousy among the poor towards the rich. The envy and jealousy are what stove the violence in America.

Everything has a trade-off. Having a highly capitalistic society like American might help create the super rich but the super rich are allocated only to a small percent of the American population. The violence in America is also escalated by the unstable economy and having a government in power that constantly pits the deplorables against the Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 434November 10, 2018 8:59 PM

R434 yes, you are absolutely correct. America is becoming sharply divided into a winners take all society, and those perceived as "losers " who essentially have nothing. The problem is that If you even mention the income disparity, there will be cries of "class warfare! " or "you're just jealous! ". Anything other than over the top reverence for the rich is considered almost socially unacceptable in many circles. And there's this ridiculous attitude that the rich are automatically deserving while the poor are lazy and worthless.

by Anonymousreply 435November 10, 2018 9:05 PM

[quote] The violence in America is also escalated by the unstable economy and having a government in power that constantly pits the deplorables against the Democrats.

Right now, we're in a populist uprising. Both socialist populism and right wing populism use greater wealth disparity as a rallying cry against the establishment.

by Anonymousreply 436November 10, 2018 9:28 PM

Again:

The psychiatric profession can neither contain these people or cure them.

by Anonymousreply 437November 10, 2018 9:38 PM

r434, you meant 'fewer' not 'less'. 'Few' and 'fewer' modify plural nouns and 'less' modifies singular nouns.

by Anonymousreply 438November 10, 2018 9:58 PM

Biden/Beto won't work because Beto will suck all the air away from Biden who is 30 years older and is very much out of touch with what young voters want to hear.

by Anonymousreply 439November 10, 2018 10:15 PM

oops wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 440November 10, 2018 10:16 PM

Until the mid-90s, we had big plane crashes. Now they've stopped so we have mass shootings.

by Anonymousreply 441November 11, 2018 3:55 AM

R401, even in his best photo, he looks like he smells. You ever see a semi-flattering photo of someone and think they're attractive, then meet them in person and have it all unravel so fast-- not because they don't look like their picture, but because their 'presence' is so off-putting? The shooter looks to me like the type who would squeeze zits on his arm in public, pick at his face, and spit a lot.

by Anonymousreply 442November 11, 2018 9:10 AM

Honey, R401. You have ridiculously high standards.

This kid was 90% handsome. Good teeth, clear skin.

by Anonymousreply 443November 11, 2018 9:25 AM

He had great teeth, I'll give him that. The mass shooting aside, he looks like the type that as soon as he opened his mouth his relative attractiveness would plummet.

by Anonymousreply 444November 11, 2018 4:35 PM

Agree, R427. Dataloungers like to talk as if relationships are the most unfathomable and retrograde things, but study after study shows that married people are happier and healthier than singles.

by Anonymousreply 445November 11, 2018 10:34 PM

R444 I suspect that's true of 90% of the men over whom we lust on screen, Instagram etc. etc.

by Anonymousreply 446November 12, 2018 1:50 AM

R446, they usually “show their behind”, as they say, on social media, too.

by Anonymousreply 447November 12, 2018 1:59 AM

"Dataloungers like to talk as if relationships are the most unfathomable and retrograde things, but study after study shows that married people are happier and healthier than singles."

The study that poster linked to was from a right wing organization

by Anonymousreply 448November 12, 2018 3:15 AM

R448 Which poster are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 449November 12, 2018 3:46 AM

@KateABC7

Napa County Fire Department lovingly raising the flag for Alaina Housley, who was shot and killed in the Thousand Oaks Borderline shooting. Alaina was 18, a Vintage High graduate and a freshman at Pepperdine. There is a procession as her body returns home to Napa. #ThousandOaks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450November 12, 2018 4:19 PM

What a devastating week for California.

by Anonymousreply 451November 12, 2018 4:27 PM

Ian Long -- the former Marine who killed 12 people in a country music bar allegedly suffered from severe PTSD, but there's no record of him ever contacting the Corps for help ... so says the military.

Long served in Afghanistan from 2010 to 2011 and left the service in 2013 after a final stint in Hawaii. Shortly after the massacre, former neighbors of Long revealed he had a long history of PTSD ... and a classmate of his told us the same thing.

We reached out the Marines to see if the military branch had any evidence of Long's condition and if they acted appropriately, but we were told the Marines have no record Ian ever indicated he was suffering. A rep for Veteran's Affairs tells us he was never enrolled in VA health care at any time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452November 12, 2018 11:32 PM

PTSD does not lead to higher rates of violence. And this guy never sought treatment for PTSD. Believe me, if he had PTSD he would have filed for a service connection pension, which is tax free.

He was a sociopathic, mean guy from his teens onward. A lot of misfits gravitate towards the military (including cross dressers, like the WikiLeaks guy, Chelsea).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453November 12, 2018 11:43 PM

"A rep for Veteran's Affairs tells us he was never enrolled in VA health care at any time."

Funny, since one poster here was trying to use the "government health care is EVIL" line to explain his problems

by Anonymousreply 454November 12, 2018 11:47 PM

R454 I suspect that this veteran had either a "less than honorable" or a dishonorable discharge and that is why he never used any VA healthcare as he was not eligible. He engaged in sociopathic behaviors while in the military, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 455November 12, 2018 11:53 PM

He never tried to 'get better'. He was allowed to be hateful, violent and misogynistic in high school because administration didn't want to 'ruin' a straight,white boys future. He enjoyed the firearms and violence one can sometimes find in the military. He continued being violent after he left the service and was abusive towards at least one woman (his mother), if not more.

He didn't seek treatment for PTSD because he didn't have PTSD. He was a violent, hateful killer who should have been in jail instead of free to buy a gun and kill those people on the CM bar. It's shitty that he got away with the stuff he did, before he became a mass murdering p.o.s.

by Anonymousreply 456November 13, 2018 12:44 AM

@michaelwhitley

The end of the Dodgers-Red Sox 18-inning World Series game was only 17 days ago. Been a long year since then in California.

by Anonymousreply 457November 14, 2018 2:37 PM

R456 = Thinks all problems are caused by magical white people

by Anonymousreply 458November 14, 2018 2:42 PM

R445

[quote]but study after study shows that married people are happier and healthier than singles.

True, with a proviso - men are happier married, women are happier single.

Which explains why incels go crazy when even Plain Janes don’t want to give them attention.

by Anonymousreply 459November 14, 2018 2:44 PM

[quote] He was allowed to be hateful, violent and misogynistic in high school because administration didn't want to 'ruin' a straight,white boys future.

Wait...what?

by Anonymousreply 460November 14, 2018 5:29 PM

[quote] Thinks all problems are caused by magical white people

The amount of hate they get has become really pathological.

by Anonymousreply 461November 14, 2018 5:30 PM

Thefunerals have started. Today, they are burying the sheriff's Sergeant

by Anonymousreply 462November 15, 2018 6:03 PM

@ABC7

At funeral, pastor says Sgt. #RonHelus proposed to his wife in 1988 at the same restaurant which later became Borderline Bar & Grill, where he was slain

by Anonymousreply 463November 15, 2018 9:00 PM

R459 I suspect some of these men's problem is that they don't want plain Jane's ,they want perfect 10,big titted supermodel types and when it doesn't happen they go nuts.

by Anonymousreply 464November 15, 2018 9:29 PM

If they had any money they could buy a pretty girlfriend and get her some tits. It's not rocket science, look at Orangina. He's bought himself three so far. They each fucked him for a while before he traded them in.

by Anonymousreply 465November 15, 2018 9:38 PM

Well, because of Obama and Hillary (apparently) they have no money, so that just makes them that much angrier.

by Anonymousreply 466November 15, 2018 9:49 PM

Mass shootings are so routine, this story came and went pretty fast even though a lot if people died.

There was a time it would have dominated the news for a week.

by Anonymousreply 467November 15, 2018 11:32 PM

Didn't even make it to 600 posts...

by Anonymousreply 468November 15, 2018 11:37 PM

R468 That's because they released his race and identity early.

by Anonymousreply 469November 15, 2018 11:41 PM

The California fires pretty much bumped this story off the news. One of the fires are in this same area, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 470November 15, 2018 11:50 PM

"If they had any money they could buy a pretty girlfriend and get her some tits. It's not rocket science, look at Orangina. He's bought himself three so far."

Orangina is rich and these guys aren't

by Anonymousreply 471November 16, 2018 3:17 AM

@abc7carlos

#breaking Ventura County Sgt. Ron Helus was hit by six shots in the Borderline Bar shooting. Five shots were from the suspect and potentially survivable. The 6th shot was from friendly fire. A CHP officer’s rifle. That shot hit his chest and his heart.

Waiting for link

by Anonymousreply 472December 7, 2018 6:38 PM

Man.

by Anonymousreply 473December 7, 2018 6:53 PM

The gun nuts who think “good guys with guns” are the solution to mass shootings never mention the risks of crossfire, and how it can kill more innocent people than the deranged shooter alone. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 474December 7, 2018 7:29 PM

Finally, link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475December 7, 2018 8:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!