Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ryan Gosling is a Canadian boy that speaks with a fake New York accent. Why does no one call him out?

I remember Josh Brolin did an interview on The Tonight Show while promoting “Gangster Squad” and he sort of made fun of Ryan Gosling and mentioned how he’s a Canadian with a New York accent and basically called him a poser. He’s not lying. I’m shocked so many people eat up the fake persona that is Ryan Gosling and also fall for his “natural” beauty as if he didn’t get any work done. He did. Look at those nose.

Ryan Gosling is 100% a fake persona. Y’all eat it up though.

by Anonymousreply 108October 14, 2019 4:44 PM

He also is a limited actor and fake “bad boy” with his leather jackets and motorcycles. Lmao.

by Anonymousreply 1November 5, 2018 2:30 PM

His nose came from plastic surgery. That's obvious. There are scores of photos online comparing the old nose with the new nose.

by Anonymousreply 2November 5, 2018 2:30 PM

Why in the world do you care, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3November 5, 2018 2:31 PM

Ryan Gosling is a Canadian boy [bold]WHO[/bold] speaks with a . . .

by Anonymousreply 4November 5, 2018 2:32 PM

R3, OP doesn't really have to care, it's just an interesting observation.

by Anonymousreply 5November 5, 2018 2:40 PM

R4, this is an online forum, not The NY Times. I don’t give a fuck.

R3, I am just observing. Gosling is 100% a phony and no one seems to notice.

by Anonymousreply 6November 5, 2018 2:41 PM

The people from 30 rock sound like Canadians to us,

by Anonymousreply 7November 5, 2018 2:41 PM

And people from California

by Anonymousreply 8November 5, 2018 2:41 PM

And Washington, etc.

Those "kinds of" accents sound Canadian to us,

by Anonymousreply 9November 5, 2018 2:42 PM

"kinds" of*

by Anonymousreply 10November 5, 2018 2:43 PM

R6 WE give a fuck. So we don't have to endure illiterate morons.

by Anonymousreply 11November 5, 2018 2:44 PM

R11 it’s not that serious. Calm down. Breathe.

by Anonymousreply 12November 5, 2018 2:46 PM

American acccents : The brooklyn (only) accent / Texan / Gerogia / interchangeable southern / Fargo style accent etc. Overdone.

Oh, and that HORRIBLE accent from Maine? I think.

That gross ass Boston accent.

And spanish accents versus our french accents.

by Anonymousreply 13November 5, 2018 2:50 PM

Didn't the poser Justin Timberlake also call out Gosling for lying about his past and the hard life he supposedly led while filming the MMC? I don't remember the details but the claims were something like he was living alone, unsupervised, and in a dump or something to that nature. Timberlake laughed and mocked Gosling because according to Justin, Gosling was living with him and Justin's mom in a condo.

by Anonymousreply 14November 5, 2018 3:29 PM

The poser needs to go away.

by Anonymousreply 15November 5, 2018 3:48 PM

Gosling may be a poser, but he's lived and worked in this country long enough to lose any native accent he may have had as a CHILD.

Brolin, on the other hand, is a wife beating bullying abuser. The reports from that set had him and Sean Penn being fucking assholes to everyone else. Fuck him and the horse he rode in on.

by Anonymousreply 16November 5, 2018 3:53 PM

I witnessed JB and SP getting very, very drunk at an awards banquet about ten years ago- obnoxious is putting it mildly.

by Anonymousreply 17November 5, 2018 3:57 PM

[quote]Gosling may be a poser, but he's lived and worked in this country long enough to lose any native accent he may have had as a CHILD.

I dislike Gosling, but I agree with you on the accent. Other Canadian actors who've lived and worked in the US for many years have said they have lost their accents over time.

by Anonymousreply 18November 5, 2018 4:00 PM

[quote] Brolin, on the other hand, is a wife beating bullying abuser

I can confirm that.

by Anonymousreply 19November 5, 2018 4:05 PM

I noticed this in Eddie Huang of Fresh off the Boat fame. He was born in Maryland and grew up there and Orlando. Attended university in FL and PA. Didn't live in NYC until law school. And he has the thickest Brooklyn accent ever. I know he's famously into hip hop, but the accent seems like a bit put on. Though I'm not surprised. I read FOTB and he tries to come off as so hardcore. Though in Orlando he lived in gated community and drove a Mercedes while in high school. I know he was/is really into hip hop, but being into Tupac while you're a teen doesn't mean you grew up in tough on the streets. Just as being into the Smiths, New Order, Echo and the Bunnymen didn't mean I grew up in Northwest England.

by Anonymousreply 20November 5, 2018 4:11 PM

OP at the age of 12 or 13 Ryan was in the US and on the The Mickey Mouse Club where they probably discouraged any accent, since he has been acting ever since probably mostly in the US, him losing any hint of Canadian accent isn't at all surprising.

I had relatives that moved from the northern US to Louisiana, within 2 years they were all talking with a deep southern accent.

We get it, you don't like Ryan Gosling but he will go on and star in many films despite your dislike and make many millions more than you, but of all things you ragging on his lack of accent, there are a bunch of Australian actors in the US with no hint of any accent in films but have the accent in normal conversation or when they accept awards, that is how you become a successful actor you lose any accent you have.

by Anonymousreply 21November 5, 2018 4:24 PM

OP needs to start a companion thread to "triggered with on photo"

His could be "triggered with one photo of an actor"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 5, 2018 4:30 PM

a try hard with an embarrassing resume to shed, but im a fan of his all the same

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 5, 2018 4:53 PM

He's fabulous. And smarter than most other actors, which is why he comes across as smug. His smugness has merit, which is off-putting to lower-functioning actors.

by Anonymousreply 24November 5, 2018 6:14 PM

I don’t think or him as smug. He comes across as down to earth albeit private.

by Anonymousreply 25November 5, 2018 6:17 PM

Jon Favreau on Pod Save America is American but speaks with a Canadian accent. He says "hoos" for house and "aboot " for about.

by Anonymousreply 26November 5, 2018 6:35 PM

[quote] He says "hoos" for house and "aboot " for about.

Eh?

by Anonymousreply 27November 5, 2018 6:40 PM

You all seem to be confused. There’s a difference between losing an accent and faking a NY one

by Anonymousreply 28November 5, 2018 7:04 PM

And then there's that thing where Montreal Jews talk like they're from NYC. What's that about?

by Anonymousreply 29November 5, 2018 7:31 PM

He’s not a Montreal Jew though... R29

He legit is from Canada, lived in Cali for years. Lived in the south for a bit. And he’s faked this Brooklyn accent for YEARS.

by Anonymousreply 30November 5, 2018 7:37 PM

Did anybody see his movie? I tried to find a thread but nothing came up

by Anonymousreply 31November 5, 2018 7:45 PM

First Man? It was great, although I think he was wooden for most of it. Clare Foy was incredible though. R31

by Anonymousreply 32November 5, 2018 7:47 PM

I saw him as being stoic. He was not emotionally close with his sons, either. Sure he played and rough-housed with them but nothing more intimate. Maybe it was the times.

He finally shed a tear when he was on the moon!!

The blast off scene was amazing! So were the scenes of the quiet desolation of the moon.

Claire didn’t have much to do. There was a scene where she was wringing her hands and it immediately reminded me of her in The Crown.

by Anonymousreply 33November 5, 2018 7:54 PM

I loved Clare. Gosling wasn’t too fond of. But he wasn’t BAD either.

by Anonymousreply 34November 5, 2018 7:58 PM

Nothing new here. Not his fan here but he’s no different from so many other celebrities trying to sell us an image.

by Anonymousreply 35November 5, 2018 8:09 PM

I saw him on gramhe norton promoting this movie and he wasn't very excited about it.

by Anonymousreply 36November 17, 2018 5:05 PM

[quote]He also is a limited actor

This is true. Hollywood seems to be under the delusion that Ryan Gosling is a talented actor. He is not. There is a reason Emma Stone is the only thing people remembered from "La La Land" and that reviews for his "First Man" movie quickly killed the buzz of him as an oscar front runner. He just don't have the stuff.

That said, he seems like a nice human being.

by Anonymousreply 37November 17, 2018 5:15 PM

I liked him in The Big Short.

by Anonymousreply 38November 17, 2018 5:26 PM

He was terrible in La La Land! He cannot sing! and on grahme Norton, he was sitting next to Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga who were promoting Star Is Born...LOL. Bradley Cooper is a decent singer.

by Anonymousreply 39November 17, 2018 5:41 PM

R28 makes a good point

by Anonymousreply 40November 17, 2018 5:49 PM

OP typed the slang "y'all". He is clearly worse than Gosling.

by Anonymousreply 41November 17, 2018 5:50 PM

R40 there’s a difference between losing an accent and picking up another one.

by Anonymousreply 42November 17, 2018 5:54 PM

Met a guy the other day - very hot looking, mid-late twenty something - who had come to oz on a two year working holiday visa. He had come here from Texas - and he had a Matthew McConaughey-type accent - only it turned out he wasn’t American but German - and had spent the last three years working in Austen. No trace of a German or euro accent at all.

A week or so before that - met a guy who was passing through town - again, a very cute twenty-something - who was heading back gone to Europe after a long vacaction here. Pure south London accent. Only he was a Dane. He’d worked in London - but only for a few months.

Some people just adapt an accent when they’re immersed in hearing that accent all the time. Sometimes it unconscious - sometimes it’s more than a little intentional & helps them fit in at work or whatever - and sometimes there’s a bit of pretension involved as well. It just happens I think when your ear adjusts to the voices and accents you’re hearing constantly. The way those people talk and pronounce common words becomes your norm.

by Anonymousreply 43November 17, 2018 6:22 PM

Did they film the Mickey Mouse club in Brooklyn?

by Anonymousreply 44November 17, 2018 6:26 PM

R43 Gosling doesn’t live in Brooklyn last time I checked. He never did. So that Brooklyn accent isn’t him adapting, it’s him faking.

by Anonymousreply 45November 17, 2018 6:29 PM

He has charisma and I like his low-key lifestyle and how he carries himself. I have a Brooklyn accent like my mother and her mother before her. Hate my accent but if he wants to have one that's fine by me. Who gives a shit.

by Anonymousreply 46November 17, 2018 6:31 PM

He’s fugly, smug, of minimal talent and wears sweater vests irl. I will never get the appeal.

by Anonymousreply 47November 17, 2018 6:31 PM

I enjoyed that film he did with Michael Pitt where they are a quasi 21st century’s Leopold & Loeb terrorizing that girl from the bus

by Anonymousreply 48November 17, 2018 6:33 PM

I have never understood how people immediately pick up accents as adults r43. It seems odd to shed the way you’ve spoken your whole life just to fit in as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 49November 17, 2018 6:34 PM

Yeah R13 because the latin population won't trigger your inferiority complex 😅

You make it so easy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 17, 2018 6:56 PM

He looks terrific in a jockstrap.

by Anonymousreply 51November 17, 2018 7:03 PM

R49 - everybody’s brains are hard wired differently. Yet there’s a lot of common ground. I think there’s just a big cohort of people who are very chameleon-like and their accents adapt to fit in. It’s mostly unconscious and just happens.

And then there are people like the sixty-something woman who works at my dad’s old folks’ home who phoned me yesterday to tell me my dad had had a fall (only minor and he’s ok). She’s lived in Oz for close to thirty years now - yet her English is very poor and her polish accent is so thick I could barely understand her.

I wonder if a bunch of genes affecting language skills will one day be isolated by the 23and me psople or something?

by Anonymousreply 52November 17, 2018 7:05 PM

I worked in retail in West LA over 10 years ago. Josh Brolin screamed at his kid and threw his credit card at me when he paid. What an asshole. Hated his Oldboy remake but still loved Avengers: Infinity War.

by Anonymousreply 53November 17, 2018 7:06 PM

I think Gosling is really hot and sexy.

But I always noticed his fake NY accent (I'm from here)

Would like to see the before and after nose job pics. (heading to google now)

by Anonymousreply 54November 17, 2018 7:09 PM

I was drinking at Finn Mcool's in Santa Monica with Josh Brolin one night a few years ago and he was obliterated. He trashed Gosling to no end. Said he and the rest of the cast were totally unimpressed with Gosling on Gangster Squad and took the piss out of him royally. Said they all saw Gosling was a fake and a punk and a wannabe DeNiro lol.

Side note Brolin was a joy to be around and a total dude. I think he went to rehab a few months after that night lol.

by Anonymousreply 55November 17, 2018 7:11 PM

I've always thought his voice and accent were really annoying.

by Anonymousreply 56November 17, 2018 7:15 PM

[quote]Would like to see the before and after nose job pics. (heading to google now)

I thought everyone knew Ryan Gosling had a nose job. It is very obvious the difference between his old nose and his new nose.

by Anonymousreply 57November 17, 2018 7:17 PM

Gillian Anderson is another phony. When she's in the UK she speaks with an English accent, and when she's in the US she uses an American one. She said it's because she lived in the UK when she was a child, but she was born in Illinois to American parents and returned to the US at age 10 and grew up here and went to college here. It was only after X-FILES ended in the early 2000s that she moved to the UK. Furthermore, when she used to promote the show in the UK in the '90s, she sounded like an American. Methinks she's just an Anglophile.

by Anonymousreply 58November 17, 2018 7:25 PM

R55 Brolin doesn’t hide his dislike for Gosling. He shit on him during an interview and on his Instagram Live a year ago he shit on him again when someone asked if he likes Gosling. He said no SO FAST and said he doesn’t like frauds.

Brolin is also from NYC and probably caught that fake accent really fast and supposedly called him out on it. I heard Sean Penn hated him too. Said he has no talent or charisma.

by Anonymousreply 59November 17, 2018 7:39 PM

R59 - or josh brolin could just be a jealous bitch?

From all accounts brolin has many issues. Violent (against women at least) and various substance abuse issues. He could - and should by all rights - have been a bigger star. Handsome and talented - yet he’s pissed it all away and behaved like a douche.

And you’re going to take his opinion of Gosling as the gold standard of accurate character assessment?

From where I sit - brolin’s a thwarted alpha male who’s more that a little jealous that a younger, pretty boy actor has been way more successful than himself. I’d be taking any opinion of his with a large grain of salt knowing what actor’s egos are like - and yet i’m a fan and think he’s great in so many roles. I just don’t wanna hear from him or his opinions as an individual, unscripted.

by Anonymousreply 60November 17, 2018 8:30 PM

R60 I believe what he’s saying cause what he’s saying isn’t a lie. He pointed out Gosling is from Canada and lives in Cali but speaks with a Brooklyn accent. He’s a poser.

He’s not lying.

by Anonymousreply 61November 17, 2018 9:49 PM

I prefer a poser to thug any day.

by Anonymousreply 62November 18, 2018 3:01 AM

R62 who mentioned a thug? Thugs aren’t the topic. Dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 63November 18, 2018 3:36 AM

Diane Lane’s bag o’ frozen peas

by Anonymousreply 64November 18, 2018 2:50 PM

Some people develop inauthentic accents and then they just stick. Ryan Gosling was pretty young when he first started using it for a couple of characters he played in movies and now it's just how he talks. I don't think it's a big deal and I think it's stranger to obsess over someone else's "authenticity".

by Anonymousreply 65November 18, 2018 3:43 PM

I'm tired of his stoic characters.

by Anonymousreply 66November 18, 2018 3:57 PM

Gosling is a poser, and a bad actor. He's in the entertainment industry because he has been groomed to be in the industry since a child. He's a robot. You think he could go enroll in college or work a normal job? He's a weirdo. His life is a cartoon and a fake existence and he doesn't know it because he's been mauled and moulded and unspeakably abused and shaped.

And he sucks. Big time.

by Anonymousreply 67November 18, 2018 6:56 PM

I love him. Just re-watched Blade Runner 2049 last night.

by Anonymousreply 68November 18, 2018 11:51 PM

What?

by Anonymousreply 69November 19, 2018 12:00 AM

Brolin is a thug and Gosling the poser you simpleton. So put that is your topic cunt.

by Anonymousreply 70November 20, 2018 3:34 PM

One of the greatest moments of my life was watching the video of Brolin drunk and slap-boxing the bouncer at the bar in Santa Monica a few years ago. I can totally see him blasting actors and talking shit after a few "jars" at a pub. Then trying to wrestle anyone in the area.

by Anonymousreply 71November 20, 2018 8:18 PM

R71 Brolin is a MAN.

by Anonymousreply 72November 20, 2018 8:44 PM

Gosling is hung, no?

by Anonymousreply 73November 21, 2018 11:35 PM

Some needs to call out Kate McKinnon for her weird fake accent.

by Anonymousreply 74November 22, 2018 1:05 AM

Gosling is a poser. Nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 75December 13, 2018 12:45 AM

So fucking happy he’s not getting award nominations

by Anonymousreply 76January 16, 2019 3:11 PM

r13 must be deaf if he thinks the Fargo accent is anything like a Southern accent.

by Anonymousreply 77January 17, 2019 6:45 AM

But Gosling lives in New York, r61. Quite famously so.

by Anonymousreply 78January 17, 2019 7:01 AM

Gosling is about 10 times hotter than Josh Brolin and younger, too.

Boo hoo, there's nothing Joshie can do about it.

And if you don't think Gosling is a talented actor, you didn't see Lars and the Real Girl.

by Anonymousreply 79January 17, 2019 7:04 AM

Why do people use fake voices? It's so annoying, but what do you expect from phonies

by Anonymousreply 80January 17, 2019 8:20 AM

What’s David Muir’s fake voice?

by Anonymousreply 81January 17, 2019 8:55 AM

A lot of these young white People are from other places like Gosling. None put on a fake accent.

by Anonymousreply 82January 17, 2019 9:57 AM

Even if RG is faking it, there are some Montreal Jews who talk with what sounds like a NYC accent. It's weird.

by Anonymousreply 83January 17, 2019 7:00 PM

What is the purpose of this thread?

by Anonymousreply 84January 17, 2019 7:06 PM

Pointless bitchery is the purpose.

by Anonymousreply 85January 17, 2019 7:11 PM

He sucks

by Anonymousreply 86January 17, 2019 7:12 PM

He won't suck any more or less as a consequence of saying he sucks here.

by Anonymousreply 87January 17, 2019 7:16 PM

R87 is an example of pointless anti-bitchery.

by Anonymousreply 88January 17, 2019 7:39 PM

What’s his skin color?

by Anonymousreply 89January 17, 2019 7:51 PM

Light Egyptian

by Anonymousreply 90January 20, 2019 5:36 AM

Brolin is an alcoholic lowlife abuser who is more than likely very jealous of Gosling who is younger, better looking, with a far hotter body.

by Anonymousreply 91January 20, 2019 12:16 PM

I would take young Brolin over young Gosling any day

by Anonymousreply 92January 20, 2019 12:47 PM

Brolin has had the face of a shaved white ape as far back as his Goonies days.

by Anonymousreply 93January 20, 2019 2:20 PM

Yeah ok. Brolin was HOT. Goslings all hype with a nose job.

by Anonymousreply 94January 20, 2019 2:22 PM

he's a girleena

by Anonymousreply 95January 20, 2019 2:33 PM

Gosling is the male acting version of Scarlett Johanson. Bland Boring, beige as an actor!

by Anonymousreply 96January 20, 2019 3:04 PM

Article that talks about Brando's influence on Gosling and other. Brando used to goof around with accents and smart-ass private jokes when he was doing interviews, and Gosling may be trying to do the same. Gosling's performances in some movies (Like "Murder by Numbers") are like carbon copies of Brando's, minus the originality and creativity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97January 20, 2019 3:17 PM

Wasn’t there a rumour going around that Brolin and fugly Penn were harassing Emma Stone so badly on that movie that it was getting unbearable for her, and Gosling sided with her and not the two old ugly farts and that’s why he hates Gosling?

by Anonymousreply 98January 20, 2019 4:51 PM

Their harassment would be that they thought she stunk and wasn’t hot enough to be playing the role she was playing.

by Anonymousreply 99January 20, 2019 4:57 PM

Do people really find Gosling hot? He’s like the ultimate basic vanilla.

by Anonymousreply 100January 20, 2019 11:57 PM

Look I didn't eat anything up. I never noticed his accent or plastic surgery. Is he the one married to Carmen Miranda?

by Anonymousreply 101January 21, 2019 12:13 AM

Penn and Brolick harassed Emma Stone?? Never heard this I demand to know more. That's fascinating if true I wonder why they did that.

by Anonymousreply 102January 23, 2019 6:23 AM

Well I’d certainly pinch Ryan Gosling’s buttocks! Hmm, pinchy.

by Anonymousreply 103January 23, 2019 7:55 AM
by Anonymousreply 104January 23, 2019 8:16 AM

Does he have a habit of lying?

There was the thing someone mentioned upthread about Justin calling him out on his hardship story and I just saw an interview where someone mentioned to Britney that Ryan talked about how he would play Spin the Bottle with Britney alone when they were on the MMC. She was confused (I know, I know) and said that it never happened. They used to play in groups and she never kissed him.

by Anonymousreply 105February 2, 2019 2:01 AM

Britney would remember that, no matter her condition.

Ryan lies to look cool. His whole persona is “chill cool hot guy”. It’s all fake too.

by Anonymousreply 106February 2, 2019 2:03 AM

Ryan is fake.

He should move back to Canada

by Anonymousreply 107October 14, 2019 4:05 PM

OP has spoken (zzzzzz).

Ryan is lovely to look at. I don't need to listen to him. He should take his cock out in some movie, though.

by Anonymousreply 108October 14, 2019 4:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!