Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

East Village Dojo Restaurant Closes

NYU students, nostalgic Greenwich Village residents, and passionate fans of cheap Japanese comfort food alike will all be mourning today with news that Dojo has been shuttered. We'll always have the memories of their addictive carrot-ginger dressing.

Dojo, which was located at 14 W 4th Street for over two decades, was shut down by the Department of Health on September 13th after getting 62 violation points (most notably, "evidence of mice"). It's since been cleared out entirely, and its phones are not working anymore. All the signage is gone as well.

The inexpensive, no-frills restaurant had been a favorite of locals, students and frugal diners since it opened in 1991, especially after the original sister location on St. Marks (which first opened in the mid-1970s) closed in 2007.

This wasn't the first time it seemed Dojo was doomed—back in 2013, it was reported it would be closing due to a rent hike. Instead, it underwent a extensive renovations and reopened the next year with a fancy new upscale look and a slightly changed menu.

Did you ever eat at Dojo's?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 8, 2018 4:26 AM

The end of an era

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 4, 2018 6:27 AM

That's sad. But I only went to the one at St. Marks. Fuck at the Baths next door when THAT was open. Tempeh and Brown rice at Dojo after.

by Anonymousreply 2November 4, 2018 6:34 AM

yes, i've eaten there. not impressed with the food. it's OK I suppose when you're a college student.

by Anonymousreply 3November 4, 2018 7:16 AM

NYC is OVAH!

by Anonymousreply 4November 4, 2018 7:28 AM

Why can't they just clean it up and reopen? Usually health violation close-downs are temporary.

by Anonymousreply 5November 4, 2018 11:41 AM

Not the East Village. Just the Village.

by Anonymousreply 6November 4, 2018 1:31 PM

The carrot ginger dressing was awesome

by Anonymousreply 7November 4, 2018 2:27 PM

Nooooooooo!!!! I spent my late teens and my early twenties eating at Dojo’s. Seriously, I can’t believe it’s closing. Their Tahini dressing was awesome! Can they open somewhere else Downtown?

by Anonymousreply 8November 4, 2018 2:33 PM

Make way for an exciting new Starbucks, Sbarro, or Chik-fil-a!!

by Anonymousreply 9November 4, 2018 2:38 PM

Well, dammit to hell. I just mailed the Darfur Orphan two Dojo Gift Cards!

by Anonymousreply 10November 4, 2018 4:50 PM

That carrot ginger salad dressing should have been mass produced because it would have hit the big time.

by Anonymousreply 11November 10, 2018 6:03 AM

W/W to YOU, R10!

by Anonymousreply 12November 10, 2018 6:18 AM

It was good, but pricey. There were always rumors of how unsanitary it was. Yes, the dressing was great.

by Anonymousreply 13November 10, 2018 6:25 AM

And the ambience! Unbeatable.

by Anonymousreply 14November 10, 2018 6:39 AM

R11 et al, Would this dressing be similar?

by Anonymousreply 15November 10, 2018 7:02 AM

Let's try that again. Would this dressing be similar?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 10, 2018 7:02 AM

If you moved to New York in the 90s, you probably went to Dojo's in your first week.

by Anonymousreply 17November 10, 2018 7:07 AM

FEED ME DOJO NOW!!

by Anonymousreply 18November 15, 2018 2:47 AM

I have to say that I noticed a change when all the staff seemed to be Russian. The same thing happened at Canal Jean- staff was Russian, disinterested in customer service, to say the least. A fact of life in the real New York.

by Anonymousreply 19November 15, 2018 3:15 AM

Bye Dojo...

by Anonymousreply 20December 8, 2018 4:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!