Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Takarazuka Revue (cross-dressed theatre, w/lesbian overtones)

Vocals, costumes, gay subtext. Anyone ever been to a show?

I've love to see their versions of ELISABETH, FAUST, THE RED & THE BLACK, ...DU ROI ARTHUR, and THE AGE OF INNOCENCE. I also understand they occasionally do opera and American movie-musicals.

These programmes are spectacular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 20, 2019 7:47 PM

I recommend any of their Elisabeth productions. It works so well with a totally-female cast.

Mizu played a particularly chilling & disaffected Tod, she might be my favorite but I’m open to persuasion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 27, 2018 8:12 PM

^^^yes! Chika is missed, and I can hardly believe it's been several years since she graduated. I loved her in the '05 SILVER WOLF (she played Ray, and had that awesome drinking-song duet with Komu) and her Romeo Montague is one of the best I've seen onstage from anyone of any gender.

ELISABETH stages are pretty much the consummate Zuka shows to watch. It's kind of become their trademark show. Idk why it doesn't have more lesbian appeal as a musical, or why the troupe doesn't get much attention from gay women in general for that matter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 28, 2018 11:56 PM

Lesbian glam!

by Anonymousreply 3October 29, 2018 6:10 PM

They're a fascinating troupe.

Though originally set-up by an old male businessman/patron as a kind of artistic finishing school/debutante academy for women (teaching them hetero gender-roles so they might go on to become 'ideal' straight wives), the Revue eventually morphed into a gender-subversive Western-styled performing arts training ground doubling as a sanctuary in which 20th Century lesbians or GNC tomboy actresses and fans alike could find a home. While many of the actresses are straight women with families who have a passion for the stage, some are really lesbians who still have to hide their sexuality.

I remember in the 90s seeing two of the players act out a passionate gay kiss in the stageplay VALENTINO, and trying to wrap my mind around how confrontational that scene was for a Japanese audience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 29, 2018 7:34 PM

[quote] Mizu played a particularly chilling & disaffected Tod, she might be my favorite but I’m open to persuasion.

The '14 Tod in Mirio (Asumi Rio, Flower Troupe) is a contender. She has more homoerotic subtext with her Rudolfs, that's for sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 29, 2018 8:24 PM

Their OFFICER & A GENTLEMAN stage (Star Troupe, I think?) is a delight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 31, 2018 10:04 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 1, 2018 10:39 AM

The Revue went through London in 1994 and never went back thereafter. I wonder why?

by Anonymousreply 8November 1, 2018 10:40 AM

Former Top Star otokoyaku Sena Jun ought to be considered as an DL Hero & Saint for marrying a hot male dancer-turned-househusband 10 years her junior then adopting a gayby with him.

by Anonymousreply 9November 2, 2018 8:46 PM

^^yeah! If she had to marry a man Sena landed a hottie in Shinji.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 2, 2018 10:56 PM

I’m ride-or-die Sena/Yuuhi tbh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 4, 2018 1:13 PM

Moon Troupe are way into Comden/Green musicals rn. Last season they did SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN and coming up next year they have ON THE TOWN scheduled, both with Tamaki in the lead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 4, 2018 1:19 PM

[quote] I remember in the 90s seeing two of the players act out a passionate gay kiss in the stageplay VALENTINO, and trying to wrap my mind around how confrontational that scene was for a Japanese audience.

Japanese audiences are generally, typically homophobic but make allowances for the theatre. Somehow it’s comsidered fine if it’s fictional, or sort of fetishised. W/w action in particular is seen as “immature” and something many women go through before age 30 when they are accepted to marry/reproduce etc.

by Anonymousreply 13November 8, 2018 6:56 PM

^^Since 2016 Takarazuka City one of only four in the country to acknowledge same-sex marriage or partnership as legal & valid and issue certificates saying so, and this is in large part due to the presence of the LGB-friendly theater.

So far the only other three cities to give their blessing are Shibuya, Setagaya and Iga (Mie Prefecture). Even so, most private businesses and large Corps can still discriminate on the basis of sexuality and choose not to acknowledge gay partnerships.

[quote] Although the Japanese constitution defines marriage as between a man and a woman, the city has gotten around this by drafting its own partnership oath. Once a couple submits the document, they receive a certificate signed by the mayor and become eligible for public services for married couples.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 27, 2018 11:42 AM

Love their glittery ROMEO & JULIET.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 29, 2018 4:58 PM

I used to have a Columbia lp of songs from the Takarazuka revue. My father, who was an executive in a U.S. steel corporation, used to make extensive business trips to Japan. I think he may have seen it there and brought back the lp for me. (He knew I liked musicals...)

Also, there’s an extensive section on Takarazuka in the movie, “Sayonara” (1957), in which Marlon Brando’s Air Force flyer falls for a Takarazuka star, with scenes filmed in their theater and dormitories.

by Anonymousreply 16November 29, 2018 5:46 PM

Wow R16, fabulous recommendation! I know what’s up next on my watchlist...

And how lucky to have owned an original record (kind of your father to think of you, too). I don’t suppose you remember which show or compilation the record was? And whether your father ever caught a show or met a performer, himself?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 29, 2018 8:33 PM

As we speak the Revue are doing a 14-show run in Taiwan for the very first time, at the National Theatre. This is a debut show for some of the latest recruits to the troupe, who now number 39 women.

Even more exciting is that they’re running a world’s-first liveshow written & produced specifically/exclusively for Taiwan that uses characters & storyline from a popular local fantasy/wuxia TV marionette-drama (colloquially called PiLi Puppet Theater or ‘budaixi’) that is sadly obscure in the West. Hopefully this will bring both the puppet show and the Takarazuka troupe to a more global audience..

This is breaking new ground on several levels, particularly in terms of gender equality and women in arts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 30, 2018 9:14 PM

I used to live down the road from the Takarazuka Gekijo and off the railroad that owns the theater. At least until the 90s it was very uncool. The only people who liked it were well-heeled, 50-something ladies. I saw Jonathan Ross' Japanorama segment on it and thought it was well-done. I recommend his series in general for people interested in Japan.

by Anonymousreply 19November 30, 2018 9:45 PM

Here's part of that Japanorama episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 30, 2018 9:46 PM

Has anyone ever been to a show there? Is it worth a dedicated pilgrimage to Japan, or is one better off just buying and shipping the DVDs/programmes as they’re released and enjoying it at home?

I really want to get tickets and go for my birthday next year but they seem hella expensive (I work a job 9-5 all week but my wages are terrible). Plus I don’t speak Japanese and the city itself is out of the way and not close to anything else of note, so I need to go with somebody but no one I ask is interested in taking the trip with me. Of course I’d rather not wait 10years to make it out there, carpe diem all that..

by Anonymousreply 21December 3, 2018 9:51 PM

The first foreign musical they ever did was Star Troupe’s OKLAHOMA! in 1967. That’s very in the DL-line.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2018 10:17 AM

For the first time ever the theater are reaching out to gaijin to ask for opinions on the Troupe, feedback on the performance center and to take requests for future shows. You can fill out the quick poll below!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 4, 2018 10:19 AM

It’s Cabaret meets Broadway meets Vaudeville, performed by glitzy actresses trained MGM-style.

Why aren’t gay men more obsessed?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 5, 2018 6:07 PM

Soft lesbians...👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 8, 2018 8:18 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 8, 2018 11:21 PM

I wish they’d do some more dirty and raw musical fare, but I guess that wouldn’t play to their demo.

But like, just imagine a Steinman show in the hands of these ladies. Maybe it would unleash something.

by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2018 12:25 PM

News and next year’s programme...

From January through spring Star Troupe stage a gloomy German melodrama titled BESIDE THE FOGGY ELBE (a show which marks retirement for: ‘Kai’ Nanami Hiroki, ‘Yuttan’ Seki Yurito, ‘Hosshii’ Katori Reira & ’Saku’ Amakake Sakura), and is chased by a customary glitzy dance showcase by their current leading lights called ESTRELLAS.

Then, from May and through summer season, Moon Troupe will stage a samurai epic novel called UNMATCHED IN DREAMS & REALITY (debuting their new Top Star couple, Tamaki Ryou & Misono Sakura aka ‘Tamakichi & Emichi’) , followed by an exotic foray into Thai culture with a showcase titled KRUNG THEP, CITY OF ANGELS.

Also Flower Troupe top musumeyaku Senna Ayase will retire April 28 2019, after the final Tokyo performance of CASANOVA (leaving Mirio high & dry, and her replacement TBD...); while over in Snow Troupe, ‘Niwa’ Souno Haruto will become kumichou (Troupe leader) and ‘Non’ Chikaze Karen will become vice-kumichou and as their inaugural duties this year will stage historical tragedy WHEN THE LAST SWORD IS DRAWN. Cosmos Troupe never decide anything until last minute so fuck knows what their 2019 programme will bring.

Anyone going? I’m thinking about giving myself a Single Valentines’ this year and heading off to Tokyo for Star Troupe, but I’m not sure how much it would cost to get there from Europe and secure a seat (I’m advised that all the Japanese fanfraus snap up tix & merch immediately) so I may have to either wait until winter shows go on sale or postpone indefinitely. I actually wanted to see Moon close ANNA KARENINA & ON THE TOWN plus Achi (Kio Kanade) retire, only they close in like 2 weeks and I have to be at home/work (Xmas, I forgot about it). Eh, hopefully one of my abusive phobic parents will die before May-September and I can use any paltry inheritance on plane tix.

by Anonymousreply 28December 27, 2018 9:44 PM

[quote] Moon Troupe will stage a samurai epic novel called UNMATCHED IN DREAMS & REALITY (debuting their new Top Star couple, Tamaki Ryou & Misono Sakura.

^^So TamaChapi are really breaking up...I knew but I wanted to live in denial😭😭

Dgmw, Emichi is adorable and I love her but she just isn’t Reika I.e. beautiful blonde Diva Big Sis and longest-reigning Moon Troupe Musumeyaku (and third longest-reigning ever in the whole company). Her Empress Sisi is like the new gold-standard.

I don’t know what Tsukigumi will do without Chapi but the show must go on. She signed with AMUSE recently which is the same agency a lot of those younger cross dressing idol boys go with. I’ll see if I can find her retirement article and post info.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 31, 2018 8:32 AM

While she did a fantastic job and was perfect for Tamaki in the end, I kinda wish Chapi had stayed otokoyaku. She signed up to become otoko and was trained as one for a few alternate years but the troupe kept switching her back to muse against her deeper wishes.

Otoko get longer more illustrious careers in general, too, so considering how much Chapi gave to the Revue it sucks she’s getting let go after only seven years as a Star and onnayaku at that. Hopefully AMUSE will use her properly and not just as a MILF for their younger idols.

by Anonymousreply 30December 31, 2018 4:54 PM

R28 I’d totally go with you if we lived close/knew each other and it were cheaper to fly there! It’s actually not the city shows that are the killer, pricewise; for an OK stalls seat it costs about 80€ (way less for standing room), and train tickets from Osaka airport/train station to Takarazuka itself are a steal. There are affordable restaurants inside the theater complex so you can get a meal before your show and still not pay over 150€ all told (so long as you don’t get sucked into the gift shops!). It’s those damn plane tickets to Japan that cost so much and prevent whimsical weekend trips to see a matinee. Frustrating right?

There’s a small friendly LJ/tumblr fan community of a few hundred who trade cast albums & merch, review shows, chat about stars’ SM and make graphics etc. Maybe you could join or lurk to fill your live with Siennes or make some fannish friends while you save up for your flights and such. Ganbarimasu ;D

by Anonymousreply 31January 2, 2019 5:52 PM

There’s a U.S. fan podcast for TR currently active and heading into its fourth year. Every month you can listen to lovely NY gals like Heidi, Julie, Jenn, Lella and Jeanette chat all things Takarazuka and even send them questions to discuss via Twitter (@ZukaPodcast). Despite some late/shaky/random uploads schedules, they have almost 300 Twitter followers and a loyal base of commenters for their site (caithion.net/takarazukapodcast).

Here’s the most recent episode recorded at the end of last year, which devotes a full 150 minutes discussion to Cosmos Troupe 2018 shows and their cast reshufffles. The archive goes back to winter 2015 with hours of informative audio material so dig through to learn everything, and more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 4, 2019 11:12 AM

I NEED Hoshigumi’s ‘THUNDERBOLT FANTASY’ Taiwan show on Blu-ray. It comes out in 10 days and I’n stoked. It’s too bad more people couldn’t see it live, hopefully they’ll do more in this series in future as it had such a stellar reception and worked so well as a crossover/multinational project (the original Thunderbolt puppet series is awesome btw, like Thunderbirds-style but with Crouching Tiger-esque story + FX). Hoshigumi are back in business!

Beni always looks so cool but she is glowing playing ‘The Austere Snow Crow’ named Lǐn Xuě Yā, who I understand is a beautiful mysterious & learned man but also a thief with a villainous Machievellian streak...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2019 11:31 PM

[quote] Has anyone ever been to a show there? Is it worth a dedicated pilgrimage to Japan, or is one better off just buying and shipping the DVDs/programmes as they’re released and enjoying it at home?

I posted earlier in this thread, I think. I used to live near the Takarazuka theater. When I lived there, I thought Takarazuka was very uncool-- it mainly appeals to the Japanese equivalent of fraus. I never went, but in retrospect, I wish I had gone. Not many foreigners go see it, or at least that's how it used to be. The frau (obasan) would love you and you'd have a great experience.

You could pair a trip to see Takarazuka in the Osaka suburbs with Kyoto and Kobe. Traveling between those cities, and Nara, is about an hour by train. I think going to see Takarazuka is a much better reason to go to Japan than seeing temples and "traditional culture," or gawking at the bustle in Tokyo, all of which gets old fast if you don't know Japanese.

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2019 11:42 PM

I’m living for Yurika in OCEAN’S ELEVEN.

LIVING, I say. She’s perfection for Danny😍

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 29, 2019 10:11 PM

You can now get married in one of the official Takarazuka Hotels, the one at Hankyu (close to the city train lines).

The venue building is beautiful and seemingly retrofit in a ‘40s/50s style. They even have rose garden promenades outside, apparently to commemorate ‘The Rose of Versailles’ stageplays that are so popular for the Revue. There is an extensive bridal package and a gorgeous suite for newlyweds choosing to hitch there.

No mention of lesbian marriages on their site though, but we live in hope. If they don’t marry gays there, they are leaving millions on the table because gays are arguably the second-biggest audience for the theatre after the middle-aged frauen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 18, 2019 1:02 AM

I’m halfway through SAYONARA, and while I adore it (those sets! Those costumes! Those locations! That Irving Berlin theme! Miiko Taka as a beautiful dapper drag king!) I have more questions than answers.

Is it alright to call women “bitches” in post-Code films meant for Academy screening? Wasn’t Major Ace meant to be going to Kobe? What is Brando’s accent DOING? (he implies he’s from Oklahoma which is not how it sounds) And why is James Garner even IN this movie? And who thought Red Buttons was funny & touching enough in this to give him the Best Supporting Oscar? And whoever thought passing Ricardo Montalban off as Japanese would WORK?

It is good fun trying to spot the odd little scene with Dennis Hopper as an extra. I feel Patricia Owens is better suited to Westerns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 18, 2019 9:36 PM

R36 ok, now I know where I’m marrying my future wife 😍😍

by Anonymousreply 38June 8, 2019 12:41 PM

I'm fascinated OP. Seems like there are some hidden gems here to be mined for fans of the musicale stage.

For me a quick YouTube search brought up the revue's take on 'The Way We Were' (guess the algorithm knows me too well, huh...) from a show called 'TMP FESTIVAL PRESENTS: 'That's The Movies!' (1986).

Revoke my DL-card but...I think I kinda like it! (forgive me OP, I don't know the name of the singer or the context, I'm sure you can fill me in)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 20, 2019 7:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!