Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bodyguard on Netflix

Starring DL fave Hot Scot Richard Madden as the unfortunately named David Budd. Anyone watching this series? I'm an episode in and it's been pretty great so far. Very suspenseful and lots of sexy Scottish accent from Richard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85April 16, 2019 11:20 AM

This is a British import, btw, even though it's labeled a "Netflix Original" in the US (I still find that label confusing). It was very popular in the UK, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 1October 26, 2018 3:07 AM

saw this. quite entertaining. esp 3rd episode. you see his ass.

by Anonymousreply 2October 26, 2018 3:15 AM

Literally just finished this 5 minutes ago. The ending got pretty implausible and hokey, but I enjoyed it for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 3October 26, 2018 3:23 AM

Is he saying "Ma'am" or "Mum" to his superiors?

by Anonymousreply 4October 26, 2018 3:30 AM

He has a face that was made for a beard.

by Anonymousreply 5October 26, 2018 3:37 AM

He does look pretty hot with a beard, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 26, 2018 3:41 AM

Compare and contrast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 26, 2018 3:44 AM

R2 Pic of ass please!

by Anonymousreply 8October 26, 2018 3:45 AM

It was ok, not as great as I thought it would be.

by Anonymousreply 9October 26, 2018 3:46 AM

He’s no Kit Harington.

by Anonymousreply 10October 26, 2018 3:46 AM

God it was awful and it was so hyped up from the UK viewers. Stupid and totally implausible and it really dragged in parts. Though I guess compared to Eastenders and Coronation street anything automatically seems great.

by Anonymousreply 11October 26, 2018 7:16 AM

Isn't Madden from some super wealthy Scottish family? As in owns castles level of wealthy?

by Anonymousreply 12October 26, 2018 7:32 AM

I think most working actors in the UK are from wealthy backgrounds now.

by Anonymousreply 13October 26, 2018 7:42 AM

R12, no you are thinking of Harington’s wife, Rose Leslie. Interviews with Madden say his father was a firefighter and mother was a teaching assistant.

by Anonymousreply 14October 26, 2018 2:16 PM

Thought it was gripping and extremely well done.

by Anonymousreply 15October 26, 2018 3:02 PM

R6 His beard is awful wtf. Looks like pubes.

by Anonymousreply 16October 26, 2018 3:05 PM

I think it's his stoicness and damaged past that makes him so sexy in the show. Strong, silent man with a troubled past.

by Anonymousreply 17October 26, 2018 3:18 PM

The jawline doesn't hurt, either.

by Anonymousreply 18October 26, 2018 3:25 PM

Wow he looks way better with a beard

by Anonymousreply 19October 26, 2018 5:40 PM

He was in Game of Thrones! He was the oldest son but was killed off after a season or 2. can't remember.

by Anonymousreply 20October 26, 2018 6:46 PM

He's almost a dead ringer for my brother.

by Anonymousreply 21October 26, 2018 7:52 PM

Can I have your brother’s number?

by Anonymousreply 22October 26, 2018 7:59 PM

Lol r22 he's straight as an arrow!

by Anonymousreply 23October 26, 2018 8:00 PM

It is fantastic

by Anonymousreply 24October 26, 2018 8:03 PM

He was hot in the show but I read an interview in which he came off as a totally wet luvvie. Talk about puncturing a fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 25October 26, 2018 8:12 PM

I am watching the series and enjoying it but there are so many FAKE threads, like this one, that are only for publicizing a new show on netflix or amazon, etc.

by Anonymousreply 26October 26, 2018 8:23 PM

He does seem to have GAY lips.

by Anonymousreply 27October 26, 2018 8:24 PM

I really liked him in the Medici series on Netflix. I didn't watch Game of Thrones. But thanks, I'm going to watch The Bodyguard now. I think I would have missed it if you guys hadn't talked about it.

by Anonymousreply 28October 26, 2018 8:25 PM

r26 this isn't a FAKE thread. I made it because I am actually watching the series, which appeared on my Netflix thing a few days ago. And I'm watching Sabrina next. I'm also watching Daria on Hulu, if you care. Please keep your paranoid conspiracy theories to the MAGABomber thread.

by Anonymousreply 29October 26, 2018 9:23 PM

Here he is the other night at Maisie Williams' stage debut for I and You in London along with his other Stark bro. Someone on reddit suggested he looked like a young Willem Dafoe without the beard and now I can't unsee it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 27, 2018 12:30 AM

Richard Madden is so eroticized in the show it's no wonder he's being touted as the next Bond. There are so many scenes where he's either posing moodily in a tight suit, or lounging moodily in a tight t-shirt and boxer-briefs. He's photographed like a Greek god.

The show is genuinely suspenseful, although pretty unbelievable. There's at least one (or even two!) deadly terrorist attacks in every episode, and yet the characters barely react afterwards: "Whew, that was sure a close one! What say we all get take-out shawarma tonight to celebrate?"

by Anonymousreply 31October 27, 2018 4:14 AM

I hope in the second season he gets to protect royalty (preferably Princess Anne).

by Anonymousreply 32October 27, 2018 4:21 AM

[quote] Is he saying "Ma'am" or "Mum" to his superiors?

He's saying "Ma'am," but in that weird Scottish way that makes it sound like "mom."

by Anonymousreply 33October 27, 2018 5:31 AM

R33 they say it that way in Manchester, too, based on another recentish UK police procedural I watched that was set there. It's funny but also a bit jarring.

by Anonymousreply 34October 27, 2018 7:13 AM

The showrunner, Jed Mercurio, has said that there will be a second series of the show and it will involve the same characters protecting either a member of the royal family or a foreign dignitary.

by Anonymousreply 35October 28, 2018 4:30 AM

Yay! More Madden to drool over.

by Anonymousreply 36October 28, 2018 4:39 AM

He always looks like a scared rabbit. Even on Game of Thrones.

by Anonymousreply 37October 28, 2018 11:59 AM

Finally finished all six episodes. It was really good, suspenseful! Loved Madden as Sergeant Budd.

(spoilers ahead)

I'm still not sure if he was being manipulated by the Home Secretary or not, or if she actually loved him, but he apparently fell in love with her a little bit.

I didn't really get what the whole big reveal was - so the woman terrorist was the bombmaker, but was she doing it with security services and the crime syndicates together, or what? I didn't quite catch how it all fit together.

I'm excited to see a Season 2, although I think there should be more screentime given to Madden ripping his shirt off to solve problems. Perhaps a workout scene where he's in the gym thinking over elements of the case, and another scene with him thinking over elements of the case whilst in a steam room.

by Anonymousreply 38October 28, 2018 11:31 PM

Hopefully, in Season 2, he will be allowed to smile.

by Anonymousreply 39October 28, 2018 11:57 PM

He smiles a few times and it's SO HOT when he does!

by Anonymousreply 40October 28, 2018 11:58 PM

He's humorless, grim, intense and entirely too SadBoy.

by Anonymousreply 41October 29, 2018 12:06 AM

But humorless, grim, and intense are a good look for him. Can’t wait for season 2.

by Anonymousreply 42October 29, 2018 12:14 AM

They rushed the ending.

by Anonymousreply 43October 29, 2018 12:21 AM

Netflix original includes producing, co-producing and/or distribution.

by Anonymousreply 44October 29, 2018 12:28 AM

I want them to team him up next season with Posh Spice to see who smiles less often.

by Anonymousreply 45October 29, 2018 12:34 AM

R43 I thought they tried to do too much the last episode. Way too much happened. And then poof, all was well.

That was the only thing I didn't like about it. Loved the series as a whole.

by Anonymousreply 46October 29, 2018 12:37 AM

Muslims in the UK were not happy with this series. They found it offensive.

by Anonymousreply 47October 29, 2018 1:02 AM

I'm not surprised. They would never have made that in the U.S.

It did seem a bit like a propaganda piece as far as scaring people about Islamic terrorism, although it was still entertaining. Good for them that they made a woman the mastermind though?

It's weird, after watching all these shows lately where the military guy or copying or whatever is the hero, I kind of wish I'd joined the intelligence services when I was younger. They are great propaganda tools.

by Anonymousreply 48October 29, 2018 4:10 AM

r48 I would've probably embarked on an intelligence career, but back in the 90s when I was in my 20s and the right age to do so it wasn't too great for gay men in those kinds of circles. If I were in my 20s today, I probably would go for it.

by Anonymousreply 49October 29, 2018 4:26 AM

R49 yeah good point.

by Anonymousreply 50October 29, 2018 4:36 AM

hairy anus

by Anonymousreply 51October 29, 2018 10:29 AM

He reminds me of Henry Cavill and Sebastian Stan.

by Anonymousreply 52October 30, 2018 10:26 PM

But Scottish! I'd love to have him call me "love"

by Anonymousreply 53October 31, 2018 2:29 AM

The scene where Keeley wakes him up from sleep was hot, hot, hot! Even though he tried to strangle her.

by Anonymousreply 54November 13, 2018 4:59 AM

Yes- too much in final episode, and too happy an ending, but held my attention, well produced, AND yes he is a sexy, damaged man-boy - more please.

by Anonymousreply 55November 13, 2018 5:10 AM

Entertaining all the way through even though I agree the last episode was too much. I did enjoy that final reveal though.

Creator/writer Jed Mercurio has another UK series called “Line of Duty” which is even better. It’s had 4 seasons so far with a fifth one coming out next year.

by Anonymousreply 56November 13, 2018 5:35 AM

Completely implausible and of course entertaining TRASH. He's got a nice look to him.

by Anonymousreply 57November 14, 2018 1:49 PM

I don't get the fondness some people have for foreign accents. I though it was mainly women, but apparently it also affects gay men. The straight guys I know make fun of all the "funny" British accents. Any accent, really.

by Anonymousreply 58November 14, 2018 2:30 PM

The pic in the OP kinda looks like a beefed up Rami Malek.

by Anonymousreply 59November 14, 2018 2:33 PM

We all have accents and we all have different shapes and sizes of cocks, and holes.

by Anonymousreply 60November 14, 2018 2:33 PM

He looks better now than he did on GOT. His face was too gaunt.

by Anonymousreply 61November 15, 2018 3:17 AM

So handsome

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 24, 2018 3:20 PM

He was sooooo hot in this, but really great acting, too. It was way over the top ridiculous, but he made me believe it.

by Anonymousreply 63November 24, 2018 4:07 PM

They would have never let a guy with a bomb walk down the street to his crib. It still doesn't explain how the bomb was undetected by security forces and why they removed video footage.

by Anonymousreply 64December 4, 2018 7:08 AM

R1 yes it was a BBC programme. Had a prime TV slot of an evening. Had rave reviews and apprarently its helped with the stigma attached to those suffering from PTSD.

by Anonymousreply 65December 4, 2018 7:48 AM

He looks like a young Arnold Schwarzenegger.

by Anonymousreply 66December 4, 2018 12:06 PM

Not a patch on LINE OF DUTY.

by Anonymousreply 67December 27, 2018 1:19 PM

Seems like it was too compressed. They could have made more episodes and filled in the stories and relationships more.

by Anonymousreply 68January 3, 2019 1:00 AM

I meant to watch one episode last night and ended up staying up till 3 AM to finish. I am very tired today but it was worth it. As everyone said, the lead actor is hot as hell - and the accent is the icing on the cake. He did a great job & I'm not surprised he won a Golden Globe for this.

I thought it was done really well, even with the slightly rushed ending and odd surprise that the scared / meek woman suddenly wants to communicate and tell the world she's a mastermind. I loved how they had the real perpetrators of the conspiracy up in the air and constantly shifted it (I thought it was definitely going to be someone else). The Brits seem to do really well with dramas like this. It reminded me of Broadchurch a little bit - especially with all the characters that could be culpable. There was even a little little Happy Valley (and oddly, Torchwood Children of Earth) too.

I don't know if anyone watches Torchwood - but I'm almost positive Louis Habiba made an appearance in the Security Service room in the back, just as I was thinking there was something Torchwood-y about this (maybe the pace and the constant maneuvering around a larger power that they had almost no chance against).

They didn't leave anything hanging really, which I read as complaints elsewhere... like people wanted more ambiguity in the ending. Not me. About some comments above, I think Julia did manipulate him at the start (getting his son into the special school) but the way it came across to me, she had feelings for him. After the car incident where the driver was killed and they held hands in the car - something clicked for her. I think she's the type who could turn that off easily though, but she didn't need to fuck him to manipulate him . If he was my body guard, down in some secure apartment/bunker next to my room, I'd be spread eagle on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 69January 9, 2019 5:08 PM

I didn't get the impression she had feelings for him, but he clearly had feelings for her - or was supposed to. I think if they had another episode or two they could have shown the relationship develop a bit more. I never got past the impression that she was just manipulating him, and I wasn't entirely convinced he was falling for her, either.

by Anonymousreply 70January 9, 2019 5:19 PM

[quote]I wasn't entirely convinced he was falling for her, either.

I couldn't entirely tell if he was falling for her while they were together, but he seems to have been conflicted, unlike with his ex - but the nature of fucking your coworker/boss would create that. Do you think his dedication to finding the real killer came from his feelings for her (remember when he called her "Julia" during the investigation, and the cop was like -wtf did you just call her that for)? Or was his dedication just an issue of making up for his perceived failure? I think after her death is when it became more clear that he had feelings for her, and in particular because he hater her politics yet still wanted justice for her.

The other comment where she said "I've got some work to do but I'll knock on the door when I'm done [and you can fuck me]" - I think she would've crafted that more carefully if she was using it to manipulate him.

And she flatly rejected that one aide and ran out of the restaurant. He could've been an asset to her too, but she didn't want it. The bodyguard's secret info isn't *that* valuable to her. She can get most of the stuff he knows on her own. Just my thoughts on it.

by Anonymousreply 71January 9, 2019 5:36 PM

r71 I thought she was manipulating him for some future purpose as yet unknown. There's a difference between having sex way below your station (a bodyguard) vs. sleeping with someone that works for you/is closer to your level. She seemed like the type of woman who wants a man to fuck but also wants to control him and manipulate him, and she probably knew she couldn't get away with it as well with someone closer to her level.

by Anonymousreply 72January 9, 2019 6:01 PM

This show was controversial in Britain with the Muslim community. They thought it was stereotypical and Islamophobic.

by Anonymousreply 73January 9, 2019 6:20 PM

Yeah, but it wasnt, really.

by Anonymousreply 74January 9, 2019 7:50 PM

It started great but then went down hill by the 4th episode, To the point that it was laughable

by Anonymousreply 75January 9, 2019 7:56 PM

He's way too short to play Bond

by Anonymousreply 76January 9, 2019 7:56 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 14, 2019 6:06 AM

Looks like a poor mans Caville.

by Anonymousreply 78January 14, 2019 6:36 AM

R78 go home, you're drunk

by Anonymousreply 79January 14, 2019 6:38 AM

The mom ("ma'am") thing was grinding my nerves. Series wasn't too bad. I was having a hard time seeing him as a potential Bond too. He does seem rather short.

by Anonymousreply 80January 17, 2019 2:28 PM

I found this series contrived and boring. Madden's hotness couldn't save it for me; he looks better kitted out in fake-medieval gear.

by Anonymousreply 81January 17, 2019 2:33 PM

I'd love to see him as James Bond. Especially with the gray stripe in his hair. Swoon!

by Anonymousreply 82January 17, 2019 2:55 PM

How Bodyguard SHOULD have ended - Comic Relief 2019

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83April 16, 2019 7:12 AM

I don’t why this has gotten so much attention. His character doesn’t even make any sense. The rest of the cast are just types - a bunch of casting cliches. There’s no characters here. It’s pretty mediocre but the kids don’t know any better. They think it’s great.

by Anonymousreply 84April 16, 2019 11:14 AM

I think Madden did a good job with what he was dealt. His character was borderline annoying. He was stupid and naive. Madden made the character multi dimensional. I doubt anyone else would have done a better job with the script, because it sucked.

by Anonymousreply 85April 16, 2019 11:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!