Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can we do a thread about gay actors from Classic Hollywood? - Part 2

Let’s continue here...

by Anonymousreply 600May 6, 2019 4:07 AM

Link to the old thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 24, 2018 12:16 AM

Any John Gielgud stories? He was busted for cottaging, so I'm sure he had some fun times!

by Anonymousreply 2October 24, 2018 2:30 AM

How about Gavin Gordon?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 24, 2018 7:21 PM

What about Errol Flynn? Any truth to the rumors of bisexuality, or was that bunkum invented by a biographer who wanted to sell scandal?

Because yeah, I can see Flynn fucking anything with a hole in it.

by Anonymousreply 4October 25, 2018 7:59 AM

Well, he CLEARLY liked women.....but I wouldn't be shocked if he dabbled in the homosex, many actors do.

by Anonymousreply 5October 25, 2018 3:44 PM

From the A-list, a site which had pretty credible gossip

[quote] Flynn, Errol. "The most despicable human being yet born." "My son had not only been a bad little boy, he had been a nasty little boy." Jerk and Nazi sympathizer--also a spy for the Axis, if rumors are to be believed. A closeted FOD. Anti-Semite. Linked with Truman Capote, Olivia de Havilland, Doris Duke, Howard Hughes, Barbara Hutton, Hedy Lamarr, David Niven, Eva Peron, Tyrone Power, Lana Turner, Gloria Vanderbilt, Lupe Velez, and Shelley Winters

FOD stands for friend of Dorothy, for legal reasons they used such terms.

by Anonymousreply 6October 25, 2018 3:59 PM

This is DL. Everybody knows what an FOD is. Or used to.

by Anonymousreply 7October 25, 2018 4:12 PM

Friend of Dorothy? We were just acquaintances. Never friends.

by Anonymousreply 8October 25, 2018 4:29 PM

It used to be said in Hollywood that Errol Flynn would screw anything with a pulse - and sometimes even *that* wasn't a requirement.

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2018 7:35 PM

Dorothy who? I don't know what that reference means :(

by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2018 7:47 PM

R6, "The A-List" was a compendium of bullshit largely compiled from blind item guesses.

That doesn't mean that Flynn wasn't an awful human being, and yeah, I bet he'd fuck anything with a pulse and didn't always care about the pulse.

by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2018 8:48 PM

Sir John Gielgud wrote gay pron!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 26, 2018 2:53 AM

Tyrone Power's longtime bf J. Watson Webb allegedly kept all of Ty' s personal papers, including love letters between the two, and had them sealed in a bank vault by his estate after he died in 2000.

by Anonymousreply 13October 26, 2018 3:47 AM

Did George Maharis ever officially come out of the closet? I know he was busted for cruising an LA park back in the '70s I think

by Anonymousreply 14October 27, 2018 12:11 AM

More info on Gene Raymond. I'm not convinced he was 100% straight

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 27, 2018 12:20 AM

r15, it sounds like all that "gossip" comes from the "MacEddy" fantards, who want to believe that Raymond's marriage was a sham

by Anonymousreply 16October 28, 2018 2:33 AM

How about Richard Cromwell, who was Angela Lansbury's first husband (!) and was also a regular at George Cukor's parties

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 28, 2018 4:44 PM

bumping

by Anonymousreply 18October 29, 2018 2:36 AM

Cromwell and Lansbury were both very young when they married and divorced after a year. But they remained close friends until he died.

Maharis was busted twice for tearoom sex. The first time was pretty well covered up when he was at the height of his Route 66 success but the second time was reported in the press and put a damper on his career, though not killing it. Click pick to read a press report.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 29, 2018 2:59 AM

Would loved to have gotten it on with George Maharis when he was younger

by Anonymousreply 20October 29, 2018 3:07 AM

Any more info on George Nader?

by Anonymousreply 21October 29, 2018 5:24 AM

In the old days of Hollywood, from the early silents to the 1940s, the majority of the studios had intermediaries between the police and the press so any arrests and other public occurrences wouldn't be made public. Some of it was done by bribes, sometimes threats. Studios would also send out their own security to haul in stars if they heard anything about a possible incident. Once the stars were less under the studios' control, reports began to appear in the press.

by Anonymousreply 22October 29, 2018 3:40 PM

Re:16

No wonder that info looked familiar, it read like bad fan fiction.

by Anonymousreply 23October 29, 2018 11:23 PM

Re:6

The rumors about Flynn being a Nazi spy have already been debunked. There's a book on it called Errol Flynn: The Spy Who Never Was

by Anonymousreply 24October 29, 2018 11:26 PM

I wonder if the Strickling guy got the files back yet.....

by Anonymousreply 25October 30, 2018 2:48 AM

If you want to cite to a previous post, just type R and the number of the post (R#) which makes it easier for the post to appear rather than having to scroll back to read.

by Anonymousreply 26October 30, 2018 2:53 AM

(R16) You're right about the fantards!!! Pathetic to put it mildly. Desperate and obviously lacking in any core of reality. My mother knew Eddy when she attended Julliard through a teacher at the school. When I was 8 or 9 and saw a MacDonald-Eddy film on television and asked her, "Did they like each other?" Her response was "Nelson Eddy preferred male company."

by Anonymousreply 27October 30, 2018 3:23 AM

I read somewhere that Clark Gable and Charles Laughton did not get along at all on the set of Mutiny on the Bounty because Gable called him a fag because Laughton told Franchot Tone (then hubby of Gable' s on again-off again love Joan C) about Gable' s casting couch past

by Anonymousreply 28October 31, 2018 4:01 PM

^ Juicy!!!

by Anonymousreply 29November 1, 2018 2:57 AM

Lon McCallister - he was part of George Cukor's circle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 1, 2018 3:50 PM

Back in the 70’s, When I was a closeted man married to a woman, I met a man at the Club Baths in New York. Somehow the subject of Rod Taylor came up. Seems my friend had met him at a cocktail party in Hollywood back in the early 60’s, and they ended up being fuck uddies for about a year.

Hot man. Said he was a Long Island State Patrolman. Gave me his number. But I never called . I was closeted.

Ken Noack, I hope you had a good life.

by Anonymousreply 31November 1, 2018 4:33 PM

*buddies

by Anonymousreply 32November 1, 2018 4:34 PM

Good thread. Keep it up.

by Anonymousreply 33November 1, 2018 4:37 PM

The movie Jack the Giant Killer ('62) is on YouTube and at 25:20 in you get a good glimpse of Kerwin Mathews' s amazing legs in some green tights and white slippers

by Anonymousreply 34November 2, 2018 1:01 AM

In William J. Mann's bio on William Haines it says that Jack Benny was gay, but I can't find any info to support this allegation and most info out there on him says he wasn't gay. Maybe it's another Scotty Bowers rumor...

by Anonymousreply 35November 2, 2018 1:20 AM

r34, thanks for mentioning Kerwin Mathews! He was a gorgeous man. He did a movie called The Pirates of Blood River with gay actor Peter Arne, who was murdered in 1983

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 2, 2018 3:05 AM

Johnnie Ray began his career performing in blackface at gay clubs in Seattle and Detroit. When he finally got his first big night club gig, at Detroit's famed Flame Show Bar, the managers told him to drop the blackface and he was a hit

by Anonymousreply 37November 2, 2018 3:14 AM

R35, there has been a lot of talk about Jack Benny's homosexuality for decades.

Putting William Mann on the level of Scotty Bowers...no. That just is not right.

by Anonymousreply 38November 2, 2018 3:52 AM

Jack Benny had very femme mannerisms, so of course there had to be rumors, but not many as he's been largely forgotten.

And there haven't been any rumors of a boyfriend or picking up sailors or being the pig bottom of LA, nothing really. But then he had absolutely no sexual aura, so maybe he just did go home to his wife or beard.

by Anonymousreply 39November 2, 2018 6:07 AM

R38 You are aware that William Mann vouches for Scotty Bowers and used him as a source for several of his books, right?

by Anonymousreply 40November 2, 2018 9:37 AM

I got Scotty Bowers confused with Darwin Porter.

by Anonymousreply 41November 2, 2018 10:56 AM

Rod Taylor? I can’t believe it. His second wife was Asian...so...

What about any of the actors who portrayed Tarzan over the years?

by Anonymousreply 42November 2, 2018 1:10 PM

This past week I saw the Visconti film Senso at the Film Forum and was by how pretty and sort of feminine Farley Granger came across (and I don't mean that as an insult).

I've seen him in a few other films, but I never considered him sexy until this movie.

Who could blame Jean Marais for having a brief affair with him (when Granger had a break in filming & went to Paris) around the time the film was being made.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 2, 2018 2:00 PM

Speaking of Lon McCallister R30, his lover was William Eythe, an easy-on-the-eyes 20th Century Fox contract player in the Tyrone Power mold. He died in 1957 at the age of 38, due to chronic alcoholism. McCallister survived him and lived into his 90s, and was an esteemed eldergay in his later years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 2, 2018 4:13 PM

[quote] What about any of the actors who portrayed Tarzan over the years?

Seems most of them were hetero, especially Johnny Weissmuller who had affairs with a few actresses and chased after the others. Very protective of Maureen O'Sullivan who, after crying on set of one the Tarzan movies about a studio executive harassing her, Johnny later marched to the exec's office, grabbed the guy and threatened him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 2, 2018 4:56 PM

William Eythe was handsome

by Anonymousreply 46November 2, 2018 5:37 PM

I'm surprised Jean Cocteau let Marais stray.

by Anonymousreply 47November 2, 2018 7:23 PM

Wasn't Johnny Weissmuller involved with (married to?) noted size queen Lupe Velez, the Mexican Spitfire?

by Anonymousreply 48November 2, 2018 8:59 PM

He certainly was, r48, but apparently he liked to put on shows for both gays and straights.

by Anonymousreply 49November 2, 2018 9:03 PM

Any more info on Douglas MacPhail (who was in Sweethearts, Babes in Arms and Little Nellie Kelly among other films)? He tragically killed himself at age 30 probably due to untreated PTSD from being in the Army. I've heard rumors that he was in the closet but there isn't a whole lot of info on him. His wife and frequent co-star Betty Jaynes is still alive I believe.

Maybe Strickling files guy has more info on him?

by Anonymousreply 50November 3, 2018 12:36 AM

Douglas McPhail and Betty Jaynes were supposed to be "the next Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald" - that didn't happen

by Anonymousreply 51November 3, 2018 3:05 PM

[quote]Seems most of them were hetero,

Shit. Including Mike Henry, the hottest, most fap-worthy of them all?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 3, 2018 3:15 PM

McPhail had an ill-fated fling with Nelson Eddy. It did not end well. In fact it turned rather violent with McPhail hitting Eddy in the face. McPhail was obsessed with becoming Eddy and the obsession helped trigger the end of his marriage to Jaynes. While the duo played the understudies of MacDonald and Eddy in the hit 1938 film, "Sweethearts", the operetta-style of singing was already becoming dated in film. Although the duo were well-received in 1939's "Babes in Arms", McPhail's role in the 1940 film, "Broadway Melody of 1940" was very limited although his rendition of Cole Porter's "I Concentrate on You" was exemplary. Porter also blew McPhail and Porter boasted about the size of McPhail's "instrument" which alarmed the MGM front office. Both he and Jaynes had very good voices but lacked the extra star quality needed to push them into the front ranks.

by Anonymousreply 53November 3, 2018 3:20 PM

Mickey Rooney was the most hetero of stars at MGM. His dream was to have sex with every female on the lot, whether a star or a supporting player or extra. However, during the filming of "Babes in Arms" in June of 1939, he briefly upset the top brass at the studio. Rooney always loved to brag about how big his cock was and had no shame talking about it. Douglas McPhail who was in the film with Rooney informed Rooney that his was larger. In Rooney's dressing room they compared erect penises and were caught. Both were hauled in front of Louis B. Mayer and according to a memo about the meeting, both reassured Mayer that he had nothing to worry about. It was merely a case of two guys trying to wager as to who had the most. Mayer had been very concerned because of the money the studio had already invested in Rooney's career and the plans they had for him. By the end of 1939, he would be the top box-office attraction on the lot. Mayer was satisfied with the explanation, at least as far as Rooney was concerned. He continued to have concerns about McPhail and from that point on, the studio invested little in McPhail's future as a star at MGM. By the way, McPhail's was larger!

by Anonymousreply 54November 3, 2018 4:32 PM

But R54, none of the people you mentioned are gay. Why bring them up here?

by Anonymousreply 55November 3, 2018 4:43 PM

Douglas and the missus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 3, 2018 4:48 PM

(R55) For all intents and purposes, Douglas McPhail was more gay than straight.

by Anonymousreply 57November 3, 2018 4:50 PM

I'm sure that he's been already mentioned, but TCM showed the 1936 version of The Last of the Mohicans" this morning with Randolph Scott and Henry Wilcoxon. Both were beautiful men, and Scott supposedly shared more than a house with Cary Grant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 3, 2018 5:03 PM

RE: Henry Wilcoxon, when I was a gayling, I knew a middle-aged gay actor in New York in the 1970s. He told me that when he was trying to break into show business in LA in the mid-50s, he met Henry Wilcoxon and became his protégé. My friend maintained that their relationship was non-sexual, but I always wondered if Wilcoxon's attention was more than just paternal.

by Anonymousreply 59November 3, 2018 5:57 PM

I heard/read somewhere that Wilcoxon used to pick up male hitchhikers and have sex with them

by Anonymousreply 60November 3, 2018 8:10 PM

Strickling files guy - any more info on a certain Miss Garland?

by Anonymousreply 61November 3, 2018 10:39 PM

Any info on ballet dancer George Zoritch? Was he gay? I thought I read somewhere that he was George Balanchine' s houseboy

by Anonymousreply 62November 3, 2018 10:49 PM

I saw Zoritch live. (I was a *little* boy.) He was touring with either The Ballet Russe or The Ballet Ruse of Monte Carlo, I forget which. My parents wanted to expose me "culture."

by Anonymousreply 63November 4, 2018 12:09 AM

^ Er, Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo. And I just read Zorick's Wikipedia entry. In 1957, at age 40, he rejoined that company. I saw him in 1958.

by Anonymousreply 64November 4, 2018 2:06 AM

^ Zoritch , not Zorick. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 65November 4, 2018 4:35 PM

[quote]Wasn't Johnny Weissmuller involved with (married to?) noted size queen Lupe Velez, the Mexican Spitfire? —Anonymous R48

[quote]He certainly was, [R48], but apparently he liked to put on shows for both gays and straights. —Anonymous R49

Weissmuller put on shows for gays in the studio system or civilians? And Lupe definitely was a size queen, besides Weissmuller, also being involved with Tom Mix, Charlie Chaplin, Clark Gable, Gary Cooper, John Gilbert, Errol Flynn as well as boxers Jack Johnson and Jack Dempsey.

by Anonymousreply 66November 4, 2018 8:03 PM

Any gay gossip on any of the old Hollywood cowboys - Wayne, Cooper, etc? At least one of them had to be gay/bi or at least dallied.

by Anonymousreply 67November 4, 2018 8:44 PM

Wayne was rumored to have slept with John Ford, first in a casting couch situation and later as friends. Maureen O'Hara wrote in her autobiography of walking in on a famous male star and a famous male director going at it. It's long been assumed she was writing about Wayne and Ford as she worked on so many films with them but she never revealed who it was.

by Anonymousreply 68November 4, 2018 8:51 PM

Re: 68

I thought she was referring to Tyrone Power who worked with Ford and O'Hara on The Long Gray Line ('55)

by Anonymousreply 69November 5, 2018 12:39 AM

Any more info on Robert Taylor? Was he really in a beard-merkin arrangement with Stanwyck?

by Anonymousreply 70November 5, 2018 1:14 AM

Certainly possible, r69. Who knows?

But the rumors about Ford and Wayne have been around for decades.

by Anonymousreply 71November 5, 2018 1:42 AM

Yes, there had been rumors about Wayne and John Ford for a long time. It was also whispered that young Marion Morrison was no stranger to the casting couch and posed for muscle/physique photos as well before making it big. If you look at photos of a young Wayne, he was VERY attractive.

by Anonymousreply 72November 5, 2018 2:20 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 73November 5, 2018 4:16 PM

Any info on John Dall (from Rope, The Corn Is Green, and Gun Crazy)?

by Anonymousreply 74November 6, 2018 12:36 PM

[quote]Yes, there had been rumors about Wayne and John Ford for a long time. It was also whispered that young Marion Morrison was no stranger to the casting couch and posed for muscle/physique photos as well before making it big. If you look at photos of a young Wayne, he was VERY attractive.

Same with Gary Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 75November 6, 2018 7:11 PM

R74 I kind of remember a story from a Bette Davis bio...during the filming of Corn is Green, Bette became very exasperated/impatient with Dall. They were doing a very emotional scene and Dall, naturally, gave a very emotional performance. A very gay emotional performance- lots of swirling arms, swishing hands etc. He was queening out, basically. The scene looked silly, Bette told him to control himself, to literally act straight.

something like that

by Anonymousreply 76November 6, 2018 7:32 PM

Who was the gay cowboy who I saw mentioned somewhere on DL - Tom Mix?

by Anonymousreply 77November 7, 2018 11:59 AM

Re:77

William S. Hart

by Anonymousreply 78November 7, 2018 12:30 PM

Not an actor , but an entertainer. Was Liberace Gay ?

by Anonymousreply 79November 7, 2018 12:39 PM

R79, for real?

by Anonymousreply 80November 7, 2018 3:21 PM

r79 Not an actor? NOT AN ACTOR?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81November 7, 2018 3:54 PM

Were Danny Lockin and Sal Mineo,'s murders related? The fact that they occurred not too far from each other in CA is kinda suspicious

by Anonymousreply 82November 7, 2018 4:04 PM

Very disappointed to see The Aviator and seeing Jude Law play Erroll Flynn -- I was positively convinced and in fact drooling that the gay writer John Logan would at the very least ALLUDE OR SHOW some of the real relationship between he and Howard Hughes: meaning gay sex with Leo and Jude.

Boom.

by Anonymousreply 83November 7, 2018 4:33 PM

No, Lockin was killed by a trick, Mineo was killed in a random robbery

by Anonymousreply 84November 7, 2018 5:42 PM

More goss please!

by Anonymousreply 85November 8, 2018 7:06 PM

R80 , true story.

by Anonymousreply 86November 8, 2018 7:22 PM

Any stories about George Chakiris?

I think West Side Story has the record for most gay personnel of a BWay show: Sondheim, Leonard Bernstein, Jerome Robbins, Arthur Laurents, Larry Kert....

by Anonymousreply 87November 8, 2018 11:45 PM

^ Speaking of Larry Kert, any gossip on him, too?

He was cute when he was young

by Anonymousreply 88November 9, 2018 3:21 AM

Any Tony Randall stories?

by Anonymousreply 89November 10, 2018 4:04 AM

Didn't Brando claim to have fucked Paul Newman? I thought McQueen had made the same statement. Anyone else Newman was connected to? I have heard he got around but not many specific names.

by Anonymousreply 90November 10, 2018 3:56 PM

r90 must be Darwin Porter.

by Anonymousreply 91November 10, 2018 10:27 PM

Im not sure I would classify this as classic hollywood as I think he came along in the mid to late 40s, but I am currently fascinated by the personal life of actor Craig Stevens. He wasnt a major star but I really liked the tv show Peter Gunn in which he was the star. This is not a western, altho it sounds like one. It s a private eye early 60 s series that lasted 2 years. It was directed by Blake Edwards which is interesting in and of itself.

When Stevens was starting out he had as an agent Henry Willson so he was one of the pretty boys. Henry advised him to marry actress Alexis Smith. SHe was apparently a well known lesbian. They both needed beards. They were married for 50 years and had no kids. Never a breath of scandal. If it was fake it was the best fake marriage in hollywood history. Anyway Stevens plays Peter Gunn, kind of a suave cary grant character. It takes place frequently at a jazz club and his girfriend is a jazz singer. The music was produced by Henry Mancini. The actress/singer playing the part just died, Lola Albright. Anyway his private life I find highly interesting and I wonder how much he and Alexis dabbled same sex during those 50 years?

by Anonymousreply 92November 10, 2018 11:57 PM

Does anyone know anything about Bruce Cowling? Saw him in Cause For Alarm, and thought he was really handsome and a decent actor. I can't find any references to any marriages or anything like that but there's very little info on him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93November 11, 2018 2:56 AM

George Chakiris , I believe, was A chorus boy in Judy’s first Las Vegas act back in 1956. He had previously been a chorus boy at Paramount and other studios in the early 50s. By the time he won his role in West Side Story, he was a well practiced homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 94November 11, 2018 3:06 AM

Chakiris was a chorus boy in White Christmas - he was in one of Rosie Clooney's numbers

by Anonymousreply 95November 11, 2018 3:13 AM

Chakiris was also a dancer in Marilyn's "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" number from "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes."

by Anonymousreply 96November 11, 2018 4:25 AM

Re:94

He was also a dancer in Jayne Mansfield' s Vegas show around the same time. There's home movie footage of him in a sailor suit dancing with Jayne . It's on YouTube

by Anonymousreply 97November 11, 2018 10:02 AM

Chakiris was gorgeous when he was young

by Anonymousreply 98November 11, 2018 5:28 PM

[quote]Maureen O'Hara wrote in her autobiography of walking in on a famous male star and a famous male director going at it. It's long been assumed she was writing about Wayne and Ford as she worked on so many films with them but she never revealed who it was.

R68 I remember reading that, and like R69, I assumed she was referring to Ty Power, partly because throughout her book she gushes about Wayne like he's the embodiment of straight, macho masculinity, loyal to his wife and belonging to a rarefied class of leading men who could believably dominate her strong female characters. If he were gay and messing around, he had her fooled. However, she did imply that Ford closeted and obsessed with "Duke," and was so jealous of her friendship with him that he made her life a living hell during the filming of "The Quiet Man."

by Anonymousreply 99November 12, 2018 9:55 PM

I liked Chakiris best in Les Demoiselles de Rochefort.

by Anonymousreply 100November 12, 2018 10:02 PM

I thought the guy O'Hara was talking about was someone other than Power - she doesn't have a problem outing dead guys, I thought if it was Power she would have just said so. I assumed it was someone still alive at the time of the book's release, hence the secrecy

by Anonymousreply 101November 12, 2018 10:04 PM

Didn't O'Hara write about filming "Kangaroo " in Australia, when costars Peter Lawford and Richard Boone were arrested at a male brothel? Someone wrote about that, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 102November 12, 2018 10:43 PM

R50, Betty Jaynes is 97! 50 years older than Miss Judy was when she died.

by Anonymousreply 103November 12, 2018 10:56 PM

[quote]I assumed it was someone still alive at the time of the book's release, hence the secrecy

R101 Ah, good point. She took that secret to the grave, along with what Ford asked her to whisper to Wayne in that last scene of "The Quiet Man."

by Anonymousreply 104November 12, 2018 11:19 PM

Which dead guys did Maureen O’Hara out?

by Anonymousreply 105November 12, 2018 11:20 PM

John Ford

by Anonymousreply 106November 12, 2018 11:29 PM

Gotta love DL for having a thread on "Stars Who've Outed Other Stars." And voila, a discussion about this very question...

[quote]Didn't Maureen O'Hara out John Ford in some book?

[quote]Maureen O'Hara outed John Ford her bio. Did she mention who she caught him with?

[quote]Re: Director, John Ford's outing, Maureen O'Hara, in her autobiography writes that she say him kissing another man when she walked into his room to show him something concerning her wardrobe. "The gentleman Ford was with was one of the most famous leading men in the picture business". Earlier, she had come to confer with him, and Ford was drawing pictures of penises. All sizes and shapes. She didn't react as he probably expected; i.e. shocked. But, the confusing part about the kiss: The actor Ford kissed, approached her later, and asked, "Why didn't you tell me John Ford was homosexual?"

[quote]I've forgotten some of that Maureen O'Hara thing, but she definitely outed Ford. The confusion came because she was at Columbia looking at costume sketches for The Long Gray Line. However, Power was not there, and Ford was working on another film so it could have been anyone who was at Columbia studios at the time.

[quote]Re: Maureen O'Hara's bio: "The gentleman Ford was with was one of the most famous leading men in the picture business". It wouldn't be a studio worker. It wouldn't be Robert Wagner. Robert Wagner gave an interview, where he said John Ford led him on, regarding a part Wagner wanted. He built up RW's hopes, then told him he had already given the part to Jeffrey Hunter. Maureen O'Hara was talking about "The Long Gray Line", (1955). This movie starred Tyrone Power.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107November 12, 2018 11:30 PM

[quote] she doesn't have a problem outing dead guys

oh my, always that meme; not that having gay sex means someone is gay, but still

by Anonymousreply 108November 12, 2018 11:39 PM

Van Johnson? I think he was making The Caine Mutiny at Columbia around the same time as The Long Gray Line

by Anonymousreply 109November 12, 2018 11:46 PM

Funny about Nelson Eddy and Douglas McPhail, as they each starred in iconic MGM musical numbers, Eddy singing "Stouthearted Men" in New Moon and a couple of years later McPhail singing "Babes in Arms" in Babes in Arms, that are virtually the same staging.

Sorry, if I was cleverer, I'd post links.

by Anonymousreply 110November 12, 2018 11:56 PM

Another bit of trivia:

Mary Tyler Moore played Craig (Peter Gunn) Stevens' receptionist but the gimmick was that you only ever saw her crossed legs, sitting at the phones. I don't think she was even credited.

by Anonymousreply 111November 12, 2018 11:59 PM

I think MTM played that role (uncredited) on an earlier show called "Richard Diamond, Private Eye" starring David Janssen.

by Anonymousreply 112November 13, 2018 12:07 AM

Oops. You're absolutely right, r112.

by Anonymousreply 113November 13, 2018 12:11 AM

She had a name on that show, but for the life of me I can't remember it. Max?

by Anonymousreply 114November 13, 2018 12:14 AM

MTM's character was named Sam.

by Anonymousreply 115November 13, 2018 12:22 AM

Excellent. Thanks, r115.

by Anonymousreply 116November 13, 2018 12:32 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 117November 13, 2018 7:30 PM

Any gossip on Nils Asther?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118November 14, 2018 11:37 PM

What about Zachary "Monte Beragon" Scott? He was married but pinged

by Anonymousreply 119November 16, 2018 3:28 AM

Laurence Olivier and Danny Kaye - who was the top?

by Anonymousreply 120November 16, 2018 8:06 PM

Neither.

by Anonymousreply 121November 16, 2018 9:58 PM

Strickling guy - did you get the files back yet?

by Anonymousreply 122November 17, 2018 12:16 AM

[quote]Laurence Olivier and Danny Kaye - who was the top?

Sylvia Fine.

by Anonymousreply 123November 17, 2018 1:14 AM

Rod Taylor, gay or bi? I can't stop laughing. Straight as an arrow and a womanizer to boot. Jeez how you desperate , queens make stuff up.

On the other hand, Alexis Smith was a lesbian, and her hundreds of years marriage to one Craig Nelson (Peter Gunn) was lavender. Thanks, R92 for bringing it up.

by Anonymousreply 124November 17, 2018 1:34 AM

He was a Hot Rod, but oh that Aussie sun!

by Anonymousreply 125November 17, 2018 1:38 AM

R124, when did anyone say he was gay? Did I miss something? You sound like a straight woman with the "desperate queens" comment

by Anonymousreply 126November 17, 2018 2:28 AM

Did I not read about rumors about the very close Gish sisters, Dorothy and Lillian?

There was also a whiff of real brotherly love between juvenile twins Bobby and Billy Mauch.

(As I read that back I detect a "Hollywood Babylon" source.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127November 17, 2018 3:33 AM

Allegedly Errol Flynn had a job on a farm in Australia where he castrated bulls with his teeth!

by Anonymousreply 128November 17, 2018 6:53 AM

Gay! Gay! Gay!

by Anonymousreply 129November 17, 2018 6:55 AM

R126 see R31

by Anonymousreply 130November 17, 2018 4:47 PM

Teeny and Weensy were scissor sisters!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131November 17, 2018 5:08 PM

Any info on Laurence Harvey or Alan Bates?

by Anonymousreply 132November 19, 2018 12:04 AM

"Oh, there's rumors about Rod La Rocque being very light in the loafers, but just look at him--the man obviously loves hot snatch!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133November 19, 2018 12:56 AM

r118 Can't remember where I read it, but supposedly Garbo got annoyed with Nils during a passionate love scene and shoved him away, saying "Don't kiss me likeI'm one of your sailors!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134November 19, 2018 1:05 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135November 19, 2018 1:05 AM

R134 I read the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 136November 19, 2018 1:10 AM

Was Edward Mulhare gay? His imdb bio calls him a "confirmed bachelor"

by Anonymousreply 137November 19, 2018 9:21 PM

Well, I think we all know what that means.

by Anonymousreply 138November 19, 2018 9:22 PM

r136, according to Darwin Porter, Garbo wouldn't kiss Asther because she said she didn't know where his mouth had been the night before. She should talk.

by Anonymousreply 139November 19, 2018 9:41 PM

Re: 139

Darwin Porter shouldn't be counted as a verifiable source for anything, period.

Any info on dancer Marc Wilder? There's very little info on him but he's always pinged

by Anonymousreply 140November 20, 2018 7:26 PM

Character actor Henry Brandon, who frequently played villains, was gay and one of his bfs was Mark Herron (Judy's fourth husband!)

by Anonymousreply 141November 21, 2018 12:02 AM

Dirk Bogarde's bf, Anthony Forwood was also an actor, though he gave up his career to be Dirk's "manager"

He was a handsome man

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142November 21, 2018 2:30 AM

"Pinged"

R140, yes, really queened it up in the Adam and Eve dance in Can Can. We could ask Shirley about him.

by Anonymousreply 143November 21, 2018 3:59 AM

Guihg

by Anonymousreply 144November 21, 2018 6:31 PM

Any info on John Emery, who was once Mr. Tallulah Bankhead? He was also married to dancer Tamera Geva who was one of Alla Nazimova' s many lovers

by Anonymousreply 145November 22, 2018 8:46 PM

Emery was from the Forrest Tucker/ John Ireland huge cock class. Tallulah allegedly brought a bunch of her friends into their bedroom where a passed out Emery was lying spread eagled and she uncovered him for all to gape at in awe. One of the guests confirmed the massiveness of it.

That's Emery with the cane, the guy sitting down was one of Vivian Vance's abusive husbands.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146November 25, 2018 1:34 AM

^^Philip Ober. Played Kerr's neglectful husband in From Here to Eternity. Also was in a film with Vivian Vance (no scenes together): Secret Fury? Had Colbert and Ryan starring.

by Anonymousreply 147November 25, 2018 8:47 AM

Their bedroom, R146??? LOL.

by Anonymousreply 148November 25, 2018 1:08 PM

[quote]Anthony Forwood

Great porn name.

by Anonymousreply 149November 25, 2018 10:41 PM

[quote]Any info on Laurence Harvey or Alan Bates?

Both were gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150November 26, 2018 4:16 AM

Any more gossip about same sex hookups behind the scenes?

by Anonymousreply 151November 26, 2018 3:54 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 152November 28, 2018 7:11 PM

Crawford supposedly said of John Carroll (her costar in Susan And God) re his sexual preference: "Absolutely anything with a hole."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153November 28, 2018 8:39 PM

Carroll was kinda hot

by Anonymousreply 154November 29, 2018 3:32 AM

Any gossip on Nick Adams? Was he gay/bi or was that just rumor? Did he really screw Elvis and James Dean (among others)?

by Anonymousreply 155November 30, 2018 12:45 AM

Nick Adams was cute for a short guy

by Anonymousreply 156November 30, 2018 3:04 AM

Where's Strickling guy?

by Anonymousreply 157November 30, 2018 10:50 PM

R153 Miss Rita doesn't look pleased there.

by Anonymousreply 158December 1, 2018 1:23 AM

Edmund Lowe and Lilyan Tashman bearded for each other. 'Ol Lil got around during her short lifetime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159December 2, 2018 4:50 AM

^ The white Will and Jada?

by Anonymousreply 160December 2, 2018 4:09 PM

Might have been mentioned already, but wasn't Burt Lancaster one of the few actors who publicly admitted being sexually attracted to other men and saw nothing wrong with the reverse? I think he might have also admitted to the casual same-sex-fling.

by Anonymousreply 161December 2, 2018 7:54 PM

You're dreaming, R161.

by Anonymousreply 162December 2, 2018 8:38 PM

R161 This is from Darwin Porter's book "Brando Unzipped," so take it with a grain of salt...

[quote]While Tennessee Williams was watching Kazan direct Vivien and Karl Malden in a pivotal scene, Frank Merlo slipped off to Mushy Callahan's Gymnasium on the Warners lot. As he was undressing,he overheard two men laughing and joking in one of the shower stalls. Hoping to get in on the fun, he stripped down and walked toward them. "Those two didn't even see me. I was all so very gay. To my surprise, I saw BURT LANCASTER and Marlon showering together. Burt was soaping Marlon's back with one hand and probing his ass with the index finger of his other hand. Marlon was giggling like a school girl. I left those two lovebirds alone and seduced a well-hung grip that day instead."

[quote]Brando's agent Edith Van Cleve allegedly explained Marlon's fondness for men: "'Instead of being hostile to actors with whom he was competing, Marlon tried to seduce them,'" she said. "'It was as if the act of seduction gave him the edge. Take poor Montgomery Clift, for instance. Instead of being leery of Monty, Brando overpowered him sexually. At any rate, when I combed all of New York for Brando to tell him he was on again for the part of Stanley, he was screwing Burt Lancaster. If I had been a man, I too would have wanted to screw Burt Lancaster.'"

R161 Lancaster holds a prominent place on Ranker's "rumored to be bisexual" list, sandwiched *ahem* between Brando and Dean (@ #4)...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163December 2, 2018 10:20 PM

I wouldn't take anything Darwin Porter writes seriously

Brando did publicly say he was bisexual however...

by Anonymousreply 164December 2, 2018 10:33 PM

R163, that would be a barrel of salt, if the info is from Porter.

by Anonymousreply 165December 2, 2018 11:50 PM

More on Lancaster...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166December 3, 2018 4:13 AM

Lancaster wanted to be in LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, but his agents convinced him it wasn't a good idea. I know Kirk Douglas was once asked whether the rumors about Lancaster also liking men were true and he said they were bullshit, but then he would, wouldn't he?

by Anonymousreply 167December 3, 2018 3:40 PM

^ Did Gary Morton talk him out of it?

by Anonymousreply 168December 3, 2018 9:29 PM

I got a gay vibe from Burt Lancaster from a scene in From Here to Eternity, where he's sitting in a road with Montgomery Clift. They're both drunk after leaving the bar, and they have a conversation. Lancaster reaches over and starts stroking Clift's head and caressing the nape of his neck in a very sensual manner. That touch doesn't look like the move of one buddy to another - it's more lover-like and I always wondered if Burt was showing another side of himself.

by Anonymousreply 169December 3, 2018 9:56 PM

R169 supposedly Lancaster's actions in that scene were impromptu but the director Fred Zinnemann kept them in the final print

by Anonymousreply 170December 4, 2018 3:42 AM

During the filming of "...Eternity", didn't Clift and Sinatra spend nights getting drunk together and having to be delivered home. I wonder if Clift ever made moves on the straight Sinatra, since he reputedly became very sexually aggressive after having a few drinks.

by Anonymousreply 171December 4, 2018 10:48 PM

r171, read Darwin Porter!

by Anonymousreply 172December 5, 2018 12:09 AM

Darwin Porter is a liar

by Anonymousreply 173December 5, 2018 12:51 AM

Anything on Vincent Price? There was a rumor that he and Errol Flynn slept together

by Anonymousreply 174December 10, 2018 7:48 PM

Errol Flynn had a penchant for underage girls. Vincent Price, on the other hand...

[quote]“I tricked with Vinny for years. Sex with him was pleasant, unhurried, gentle…in 1974 he would marry Australian-born actress Coral Browne. She worked primarily in England and although she was a dyke—I know because I would fix her up with many tricks with young women in future years—the couple were devoted to one another. They had virtually no sex life together but they cared deeply for each other.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175December 11, 2018 2:52 AM

Price and Coral Browne were outed by his daughter in a bio she wrote about her dad

Errol Flynn, like Brando, seemed like a nympho who would screw anyone.

by Anonymousreply 176December 11, 2018 6:10 AM

I've yet to hear reports of Flynn with men, except from Darwin Porter who folded in liberal amounts of frothy fanfiction. I'd believe Bowers over Porter...

[quote]Bowers’ anecdotes about heterosexual Flynn are both startling and expected. In addition to alcohol consumption at an almost impossible levels (Flynn was dead from alcoholism by 50), the author details the actor’s predilection for “young stuff.” “I don’t care if she has to be 18, just as long as she looks and behaves like someone between, well, let’s say 14 and 16.”

by Anonymousreply 177December 11, 2018 1:52 PM

The news is really sweeping the towne - Beryl Reid loves Coral Browne!

by Anonymousreply 178December 11, 2018 2:06 PM

Judy Carne talked about her affair with the adult daughter of a famous movie star in her autobio - it was Rory Flynn, Errol's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 179December 11, 2018 5:50 PM

Burt married a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 180December 12, 2018 2:21 AM

Were you just hatched from an egg, R180?

by Anonymousreply 181December 12, 2018 2:33 AM

There is a Darwin Porter troll here for years who insists that all Porter's reporting was made up. In fact, Porter made his name by saying publicly what had been well known and well accepted rumor for years.

Someone doesn't like that. I wonder what that poster's true motives are.

I would be starting a war with this person except that I'm not engaged to enough to argue with it and won't.

by Anonymousreply 182December 12, 2018 4:55 AM

^ Sorry, not engaged enough to argue, not engaged to enough to argue. Regardless, the Porter troll is tiresome and most of what Porter wrote was well known but never before said publicly.

"She didn't dare say that! It isn't true!"

Aw, shut up.

by Anonymousreply 183December 12, 2018 5:01 AM

R182, Darwin, dear, don't you have some more fiction to shit out?

by Anonymousreply 184December 12, 2018 5:47 AM

R179, The lesbian daughter would have been Dierdre Flynn, not Rory, who had a son.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185December 12, 2018 5:34 PM

"There is a Darwin Porter troll here for years who insists that all Porter's reporting was made up. In fact, Porter made his name by saying publicly what had been well known and well accepted rumor for years."

Oh, come on - do you know anything about this guy? His sources are dubious - he'll claim he had access to some sort of secret diary or memoir from someone who died years ago, without providing evidence that those documents existed. Yeah, some of his stuff is based on pre-existing rumors, and I wouldn't say ALL of the things he writes are untrue, but he definitely lacks credibility.

by Anonymousreply 186December 12, 2018 6:39 PM

R185, may I remind you that having a son has absolutely nothing to do with homosexuality?

by Anonymousreply 187December 12, 2018 6:48 PM

Porter is a terrible writer and his "books" are full of rumor, gossip, and probably a bit of fantasy, but.....a lot of what he writes is stuff that has been discussed elsewhere. To scream "It's all lies!" isn't very accurate either.

by Anonymousreply 188December 13, 2018 3:38 AM

Sean Flynn was gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 189December 13, 2018 3:56 AM

Yeah, he was fine. His mother was French actress Lili Damita.

by Anonymousreply 190December 13, 2018 4:00 AM

R187/R179 Oh, please, it was meant as additional information. Dierdre's the lez, and you should take the time to get your facts straight.

by Anonymousreply 191December 13, 2018 4:11 AM

Have a very Nelson Eddy Christmas!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192December 14, 2018 3:50 AM

Any info on Grady Sutton, Laird Cregar, Harold Lloyd Jr.?

by Anonymousreply 193December 14, 2018 5:57 PM

Gay, gay, don't know

by Anonymousreply 194December 14, 2018 10:41 PM

According to Hollywood Babylon, Harold Lloyd was the straightest actor of all (big in Hollywood for McCarthy).

by Anonymousreply 195December 15, 2018 2:08 AM

Sean Flynn was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 196December 15, 2018 2:13 AM

Good picture of Sean in Darwin Porter's Hollywood Babylon. Very good.

by Anonymousreply 197December 15, 2018 2:17 AM

I read Darwin's book on Paul Newman. He had plenty of examples of Paul's male lovers, but interestingly, no females for Joanne.

by Anonymousreply 198December 15, 2018 2:22 AM

Sean Flynn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199December 15, 2018 2:23 AM

YUMMY ! r199

How big a star was Sean Flynn?

by Anonymousreply 200December 15, 2018 2:24 AM

Darwin Porter shows a lot more of Sean.

by Anonymousreply 201December 15, 2018 2:35 AM

Were Sal Mineo and Jill Haworth a bearding arrangement or were they really in love?

by Anonymousreply 202December 18, 2018 1:01 AM

Jill broke up with Sal because of the boys.

by Anonymousreply 203December 18, 2018 1:07 AM

R198 that's because Joanne is still alive. Porter had to restrain his fabulizing.

by Anonymousreply 204December 18, 2018 4:47 AM

R193, wow. Wikipedia has a really sad entry about Harold Lloyd, JR. He was in a movie called "The Flaming Urge" (really). It's on YouTube and is about a guy who is fascinated by fires, and fights against his urges...There's a pickup scene at 15:00. Apparently Sr. was rather understanding of his son, but Jr. was an alcoholic who died young.

by Anonymousreply 205December 18, 2018 6:36 AM

Any info on tap dancer Lee Dixon? He appeared in a few WB musicals in the late '30s and was in the OBC of Oklahoma. He died young and I've heard rumors that he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 206December 19, 2018 2:51 PM

I've heard he was gay too. He was in a film with doomed bi or gay Ross Alexander.

by Anonymousreply 207December 19, 2018 2:58 PM

Lee Dixon was cute

by Anonymousreply 208December 19, 2018 5:27 PM

R206 Love those hoofers from the Golden Age...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209December 19, 2018 6:34 PM

R209 Damn, he was talented, and cute as HELL!

by Anonymousreply 210December 19, 2018 8:19 PM

The first Will in the original Oklahoma!!^^^^

by Anonymousreply 211December 19, 2018 9:52 PM

Dixon makes the chopped-up Rob Marshall dances look like dog sick.

by Anonymousreply 212December 20, 2018 10:29 AM

Died of alcoholism at 42. Sure is something at R209.

by Anonymousreply 213December 20, 2018 10:39 AM

R209 Thanks for posting this. Lee Dixon is great.

by Anonymousreply 214December 20, 2018 1:00 PM

I think that Lee Dixon looks a lot like NPH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215December 20, 2018 1:22 PM

In this rare and surprisingly homoerotic clip, Lee Dixon dances in his underwear with Ross Alexander (most remembered for playing Jeremy Pitt, friend and navigator to Errol Flynn's Captain Blood) another rumored homosexual who tragically ended his life with a shotgun at the age of 29.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216December 20, 2018 3:29 PM

Impressive TCM profile of Ross Alexander's tragic life in Hollywood as a closeted homosexual...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217December 20, 2018 3:37 PM

Thanks!^^^^

by Anonymousreply 218December 20, 2018 3:44 PM

R216 - thanks for posting that clip!!!! It's sooooooo gay!

by Anonymousreply 219December 20, 2018 3:48 PM

There's a great site on character actor Ernest Thesiger, best known as Dr. Pretorius in Bride of Frankenstein, and it covers his whole career on stage and screen, plus it has pics of him in drag. Fun fact: he wrote several books on needlepoint sewing

by Anonymousreply 220December 24, 2018 12:24 AM

R124. Nice try, but Alexis Smith was married to Craig Stevens (both likely gay), not Craig Nelson, you idiot. Try checking your posting before throwing shade at someone else!

by Anonymousreply 221December 24, 2018 12:43 AM

"Thesiger"

R220, also, in his spare time, he drove big rigs cross-country.

by Anonymousreply 222December 24, 2018 9:26 AM

R220 Another fun fact. His cousin was the explorer Wilfred Thesiger. Wilfred's photos of Arab male pulchritude in his books Arabian Sands and The Marsh Arabs (well worth reading by the way) suggest that he shared Ernest's tastes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223December 24, 2018 1:59 PM

Ernest Thesiger was also friends with the notorious Earl of Beauchamp, who was expelled from Britain after being involved in a notorious gay scandal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224December 24, 2018 3:47 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 225December 27, 2018 7:02 PM

Any info on Cyril 'Captain Hook' Ritchard?

by Anonymousreply 226December 28, 2018 3:42 PM

Ross Alexander was a hot mess.

by Anonymousreply 227December 28, 2018 4:04 PM

Hee Hee!!

by Anonymousreply 228December 28, 2018 4:15 PM

Was Rafael Campos, one of Dinah Washington's husbands, gay? He always pinged

by Anonymousreply 229December 28, 2018 7:43 PM

r229 What a difference a gay makes.

by Anonymousreply 230December 29, 2018 12:09 AM

I have to admit that I'm too lazy to scroll through 200 + posts on David Manners (1901-1998) . I read recently that the story about his star being removed from the Hollywood Walk of Fame because he was gay is untrue and that he never had a star. There wasn't one in place to remove.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231December 29, 2018 12:27 AM

I'm a David Manners fan and I never heard anything about him having his star removed

by Anonymousreply 232December 29, 2018 12:36 AM

Someone said of Tom Drake, of MMISL, that he was an All-American boy who liked All-American boys. He and Gene Kelly starred opposite both Judy and Deanna.

by Anonymousreply 233December 29, 2018 7:11 AM

Tom Drake was a cutie

by Anonymousreply 234December 30, 2018 1:40 AM

Any info on George Nader, whom Confidential Magazine outed instead of Rock Hudson?

by Anonymousreply 235January 1, 2019 1:05 AM

He looked great in his scenes with young and luscious John Saxon in "The Unguarded Moment." George was a cop and John was a bad boy...

by Anonymousreply 236January 1, 2019 1:27 AM

Confidential never outed George Nader

by Anonymousreply 237January 1, 2019 3:37 PM

Anything about Richard Carlson?

by Anonymousreply 238January 1, 2019 7:18 PM

[quote]Any info on George Nader, whom Confidential Magazine outed instead of Rock Hudson?

R235 It was Tab Hunter that Confidential outed instead of Rock Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 239January 2, 2019 10:12 AM

They outed Tab Hunter but it wasn't as an "exchange" to avoid outing Rock Hudson. It was Rory Calhoun who Henry Willson sold down the river to protect Rock - he wasn't outed as gay, he was outed as being an ex-con

by Anonymousreply 240January 2, 2019 3:40 PM

[quote]Anything about Richard Carlson?

With a wife as ugly as he had, he MUST have been gay.

by Anonymousreply 241January 2, 2019 4:32 PM

R240 Willson may have outed Calhoun to preserve his meal ticket, Rock Hudson, but he definitely did it to Tab Hunter, as Tab, himself, recalls...

[quote]In September 1955, just as my career was taking off — I had just starred in one of the biggest box-office hits of the year, Battle Cry — Confidential targeted me. It all came about because Henry Willson, who "discovered" me and many other "pretty boy" actors, was upset when I left him to be represented by another agent. Around the same time, he learned that Confidential was planning to out Rock Hudson, who still was one of his clients, so he cut a deal with them to keep Rock out of their pages, feeding them dirt on me instead. Specifically, he made them aware of the fact that five years earlier, before I was anybody, I had been arrested for disorderly conduct when police raided a party at which I — and a number of other gay people — were in attendance. Confidential then ran the story on its cover and described it as "a pajama party," insinuating that it had been some sort of gay orgy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242January 2, 2019 6:49 PM

[quote]Any info on Cyril 'Captain Hook' Ritchard?

He was married for many years to actress Madge Elliott, until her death in 1955. But he certainly seemed like a big ol' poof, which made his Captain Hook a sheer delight. Everyone else I've ever seen in the role has been a disappointment compared with Cyril.

Oh, and he wore a dress to do this insane number with a clearly unbalanced Liza.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243January 2, 2019 6:59 PM

^ That is a hoot!!!

by Anonymousreply 244January 3, 2019 2:30 AM

sdakjfseil

by Anonymousreply 245January 4, 2019 3:05 AM

In case--unlikely--there's interest: R243 is from a 1965 TV show about Riding Hood, music by Jule Styne.

by Anonymousreply 246January 5, 2019 12:35 AM

Has James Mitchell been mentioned yet? Any gossip on him?

by Anonymousreply 247January 5, 2019 10:56 PM

Cyril Ritchard's wedding photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248January 6, 2019 6:42 AM

"It was the best of times; it was the worst of times."

I fear something has been lost, even though we have gained so much...

x

by Anonymousreply 249January 6, 2019 9:34 AM

That was a lavender marriage

by Anonymousreply 250January 6, 2019 3:44 PM

Any reason why David Manners left Hollywood and went back to BWay in 1936? I've heard several rumors about why he did so ranging from him being busted cruising in an LA park to refusing to marry a starlet to make him look hetero to being photographed in a compromising position with another actor at a Garden of Allah party

by Anonymousreply 251January 13, 2019 11:38 PM

R39 Jack Benny had as much sexual aura as Kevin Spacey has (and the late Ralph Richardson had)

by Anonymousreply 252January 14, 2019 12:06 AM

R251, I'll take C, please, with the other actor being Jack LaRue.

by Anonymousreply 253January 14, 2019 4:22 AM

Any updates from the Strickling Files guy? We miss you.

by Anonymousreply 254January 14, 2019 4:52 AM

bumpity

by Anonymousreply 255January 14, 2019 3:57 PM

I've heard rumors that Vincent Price and Errol Flynn hooked up during the filming of Elizabeth and Essex

by Anonymousreply 256January 14, 2019 11:28 PM

Also, Donald Crisp and Henry Daniell

by Anonymousreply 257January 15, 2019 12:09 AM

James Mitchell (The Bandwagon and All My Children) was the long-time partner of Oscar-winning Hollywood costume designer Albert Wolsky (All That Jazz, Grease, Bugsy). They worked together on The Turning Point.

I believe Albert is still with us though he must be close to 90.

by Anonymousreply 258January 15, 2019 12:21 AM

Donald Crisp was gay?!

by Anonymousreply 259January 15, 2019 12:26 AM

Poor Errol Flynn. He fucked anything that moved. He was a Nazi. He castrated bulls with his teeth. He was a rapist. He was a drug smuggler. The poor man. He certainly was a hell raiser but most of what has been said about him sounds like just so much sensational bullshit. Charles HIgham, the guy who wrote the book depicting him as a Nazi spy (he also said Flynn was bi-sexual )admitted that he had no evidence that Flynn was a German agent, but said he had “pieced together a mosaic that proves that he is." Flynn's friend David Niven criticised Higham for his unfounded accusations. Subsequent Flynn biographers are critical of Higham's allegations, and have found no evidence to corroborate them.

I think Flynn liked to party and fuck (he may well have fucked iunderage girls, but I doubt he was the only star in Hollywood to do that) but all that other crap that's been said about him sounds like pure bullshit. One rumor was that he was cruel to animals; his daughter stated she had never seen him be anything but kind to animals. Truman Capote has said he fucked Flynn; well, everyone knows how truthful THAT little troll was. I think poor Errol has been lied about a lot.

by Anonymousreply 260January 15, 2019 1:29 AM

R258 did you know Mitchell? He was prime in his prime. I think he was not very happy working on Band Wagon, which is just about the best-ever movie musical.

by Anonymousreply 261January 15, 2019 2:09 AM

R260 Truth. Flynn is unfairly demonized and Higham's book is generally regarded as fiction. His children speak highly of him as a father. But one egregious thing is true; he was an abusive drunk to women. Afterwards, he would beg forgiveness, sometimes in tears, but when drunk he could be out of control according to the memoir of his second wife, Nora Eddington.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262January 15, 2019 3:20 AM

Unfairly demonized? The guy was a creep who went after underage girls. I doubt everything Higham said about him was true, but let's not pretend he was a great person.

by Anonymousreply 263January 15, 2019 3:24 AM

Did Errol and Olivia do the horizontal tango?

by Anonymousreply 264January 15, 2019 4:16 AM

R264 According to Wikipedia...

[quote]While Flynn acknowledged his personal attraction to Olivia de Havilland, assertions by film historians that they were romantically involved during the filming of Robin Hood were denied by de Havilland. "Yes, we did fall in love and I believe that this is evident in the screen chemistry between us," she told an interviewer in 2009. "But his circumstances [Flynn's marriage to Damita] at the time prevented the relationship going further. I have not talked about it a great deal but the relationship was not consummated. Chemistry was there though. It was there."

by Anonymousreply 265January 15, 2019 5:40 AM

R264, Ms.ODH WOULD NEVAH.

by Anonymousreply 266January 15, 2019 5:41 AM

Do we believe her?

by Anonymousreply 267January 15, 2019 6:46 AM

Alfred Lunt was alleged to have flings with Noel Coward, actor-director Richard Whorf, Monty Clift, Albert Dekker, and Sanford Meisner

by Anonymousreply 268January 15, 2019 12:34 PM

Was Lynne Fontanne a lesbian or asexual?

by Anonymousreply 269January 15, 2019 2:11 PM

I enjoyed reading Flynn's autobiography My Wicked Wicked Ways

by Anonymousreply 270January 15, 2019 2:27 PM

Shame he never got to finish the follow-up, I'm an Evil Nazi Bull Dyke Heel.

by Anonymousreply 271January 15, 2019 2:30 PM

How hold are you R260, twelve?

"he may well have fucked underage girls" MAY HAVE? Flynn was known for it.

by Anonymousreply 272January 15, 2019 2:37 PM

"The guy was a creep who went after underage girls."

I don't think he "went after" them. They went after HIM. At any rate, he was probably no different from a great many male film stars. And if you want to talk about a creep who went after young girls, Charlie Chaplin, the great, revered Charlie Chaplin, was fixated on young girls. He had to marry two of them because he knocked them up. And his final marriage was to an 18 year old; he was 54. Charlie was always a chicken hawk.

by Anonymousreply 273January 15, 2019 8:49 PM

Errol Flynn, age 48, in 1957. He would be dead 2 years later.

Go to 19:10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274January 15, 2019 9:30 PM

So it's okay for Errol Flynn to have fucked underage girls because Charlie Chaplin did?!

by Anonymousreply 275January 16, 2019 1:25 AM

R274, thx. He was rather nicely absurdist there. Olivia said that in the late 50s she was at a party when an older man said hello. She didn't know him until he introduced himself as Flynn. He had changed that much. She claimed.

by Anonymousreply 276January 16, 2019 1:47 AM

"So it's okay for Errol Flynn to have fucked underage girls because Charlie Chaplin did?!"

Just sayin' that Errol Flynn was not the only male movie star who liked them young. He seems to be singled out for some reason ("In Like Flynn") but his behavior no doubt wasn't that much different from a lot of other men in his position.

by Anonymousreply 277January 16, 2019 1:49 AM

R273, you're dreaming.

by Anonymousreply 278January 16, 2019 2:05 AM

R270 Rollicking good read.

by Anonymousreply 279January 16, 2019 2:46 AM

And Errol was a good Me in Too Much Too Soon.

by Anonymousreply 280January 16, 2019 6:15 AM

Any info on Billy DeWolfe?

by Anonymousreply 281January 19, 2019 10:34 PM

Yes R281. Frank Borman, one of the astronauts who circled the moon in 1968, reported that he could see he was gay from outer space. But as a young gayling, I always liked him as I liked Charles Nelson Reilly in "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" and Paul Lynde on "Bewitched." And my very conservative father always laughed at all of them as well.

by Anonymousreply 282January 19, 2019 10:58 PM

I've always been curious about the rather homely looking Charles Smith. Smith had many decent roles over the years as a contract player with MGM, but in two films, "The Shop Around the Corner" and "A Guy Named Joe", he had barely more than bit parts but they are both so very affecting, particularly, the later as a homesick G.I. I presume he was gay, as all you have to do is watch him as one of Judy's back up boys in "In The Good Old Summertime" to tell.

by Anonymousreply 283January 20, 2019 12:25 AM

Does anyone else know anything about Lowell Gilmore? He pinged.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284January 20, 2019 3:17 AM

fgdfg

by Anonymousreply 285January 20, 2019 3:16 PM

Any info on Douglass Montgomery? I know he married Michael Wilding' s ex wife in the early '50s just as Wilding was set to marry La Liz but there's very little info on him

by Anonymousreply 286January 20, 2019 11:40 PM

^ He flames in every move I've seen him in

by Anonymousreply 287January 21, 2019 1:27 AM

Fun fact: Douglass Montgomery tested for the role of Ashley in GWTW, as did Melvyn Douglas, Jeffrey Lynn and Vincent Price [who made a test in NYC, unlike the other actors Price' s test is lost)

by Anonymousreply 288January 22, 2019 12:12 AM

R288. Price would have been a much more credible Aunt Pittypat.

by Anonymousreply 289January 22, 2019 12:37 AM

Richard Carlson also tested for the role of Ashley Wilkes

by Anonymousreply 290January 22, 2019 2:50 AM

flgre

by Anonymousreply 291January 22, 2019 4:52 PM

R289 or Prissy

by Anonymousreply 292January 23, 2019 3:20 AM

Orson Welles was rumored to be bi. Guys who he allegedly slept with: Thornton Wilder, Guthrie McClintock, Vincent Price, Tyrone Power, John Gielgud, Jack Cassidy (when Cassidy was a chorus boy in Welles' s musical version of Around the World in 80 Days), Tony Perkins (who slept with Welles to get his role in The Trial). like Brando, Errol Flynn and John Barrymore, Orson seemed like he'd fuck anyone.

by Anonymousreply 293January 25, 2019 3:36 PM

I never heard that Welles liked guys, although he did work with lots of gays

by Anonymousreply 294January 25, 2019 6:42 PM

R4 I've heard both Errol Flynn and John Barrymore were both bisexual (no surprise on Flynn's part) from older relatives who worked in Hollywood way back when. There were rumors the two were more than just drinking buddies.

by Anonymousreply 295January 25, 2019 7:41 PM

Welles also worked with this 'mo:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296January 25, 2019 10:49 PM

bumpo

by Anonymousreply 297January 27, 2019 5:24 AM
by Anonymousreply 298January 29, 2019 8:04 PM

Actor David Bacon, who was murdered in the 40s

by Anonymousreply 299January 29, 2019 9:18 PM

Bobby Harron, who was a member of DW Griffith' s stock company for many years, killed himself because he was deeply closeted and Catholic. There were rumors that he was busted by the cops, shortly before his death, at Everard bathhouse in NYC after it was raided by the vice squad and that Griffith and Lillian Gish bailed him out of jail.

Ralph Graves, a regular in Mack Sennett comedies and in several of Frank Capra's early films, was gay and rumored to have slept with Howard Hughes when Hughes first came to Hollywood

by Anonymousreply 300January 31, 2019 6:06 PM

The Everard Baths were a cruising ground even back then?

by Anonymousreply 301January 31, 2019 6:11 PM

Re:301

Yep

by Anonymousreply 302January 31, 2019 6:13 PM

[quote]Bobby Harron, who was a member of DW Griffith' s stock company for many years, killed himself because he was deeply closeted and Catholic. There were rumors that he was busted by the cops, shortly before his death, at Everard bathhouse in NYC after it was raided by the vice squad

R33 Sounds like he killed himself because he was brutally outed and shamed, not because he was Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 303February 3, 2019 12:41 AM

**R300

by Anonymousreply 304February 3, 2019 12:41 AM

hqwiuqhiu

by Anonymousreply 305February 3, 2019 3:58 PM

Was in a silent movie group on Facebook (yeah, yeah, I know, FB sucks...) and one of the members mentioned Valentino being bisexual and one of the moderators (a female btw) freaked out, saying there was no proof, he was 100% straight, etc etc and that the member would be muted and then banned if they posted such messages again. One, I was really surprised by the over-reaction (had never seen it with other posts) and two, I think not only was/is bisexuality common in Hollywood's past as it is today but that it was somewhat well known in Valentino's case.

by Anonymousreply 306February 4, 2019 3:15 PM

r306, I used to post at the TCM forums and some posters would freak out if you suggested any classic star may have had same sex affairs. If you suggested that Garbo or Hepburn ate pussy people would flame you

by Anonymousreply 307February 4, 2019 4:05 PM

R307 Gurl, they would totally flame ME.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308February 4, 2019 5:37 PM

R307 Same here. I used to post to a few entertainment boards and, having had family and friends who had worked in Hollywood ages ago, would sometimes contribute stories and gossip. Granted, some of the tales were second- or third-hand accounts, but it got to be annoying with some people always remarking "But how do YOU know for a fact? YOU weren't there!" I suppose some just can't face having their favorite stars being made less than perfect.

by Anonymousreply 309February 4, 2019 7:46 PM
by Anonymousreply 310February 6, 2019 4:03 PM

Valentino was 1000% gay, known to all. Well, maybe not those under 30.

by Anonymousreply 311February 6, 2019 8:58 PM

Well, there are plenty of elderly fangurls insisting he was straight, so not sure about the "those under 30" comment. Most people under 30 (or, honestly, under 70) don't care about him anyway.

by Anonymousreply 312February 7, 2019 1:47 AM

There are others who don't like talking about a male celeb's gay sex life either (not necessarily debating if they were gay or not). Mention Rock Hudson, for example, hooking up with another actor or local trade and people will freak out. "Do we really need to know/talk about that?" "Do we need to know what went out behind bedroom doors?" It's called GOSSIP.

by Anonymousreply 313February 7, 2019 6:28 PM

^ yeah, I love it how, when a star comes out they always say shit like "Why do we need to know this?" but they don't mind straight stars flaunting their wives and girlfriends

by Anonymousreply 314February 7, 2019 6:30 PM

Just saw Phillips Holmes in The Criminal Code ('31) on TCM the other day and he's wearing a LOT of makeup...

by Anonymousreply 315February 7, 2019 11:41 PM

Phillip Reed pinged

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316February 8, 2019 2:20 AM

Look at the woman on the left. No wonder he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 317February 8, 2019 2:28 AM

What woman on the left?!

by Anonymousreply 318February 8, 2019 2:38 AM

The most gorgeous gay couple: Cary and Randy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319February 8, 2019 2:46 AM

Who was the top?

by Anonymousreply 320February 9, 2019 1:45 AM

This one goes waaaay back but C.M. Hallard was a popular star of the English stage in the Victorian and Edwardian era, when films came into vogue he started doing silents and then talkies. His career lasted 50 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321February 9, 2019 2:22 AM

Any info on dancer Marc Platt? Wiki says he was married twice and had three kids (one by the first wife, two by the second). He's always pinged to me and there's rumors that he was Cole Porter' s houseboy early in his career

by Anonymousreply 322February 12, 2019 3:54 PM

Well he was in a 1941 short film called "The Gay Parisian "...

Died at 100.

by Anonymousreply 323February 13, 2019 12:26 AM

How many of the 7 Brothers were gay?

Not Howard Keel.

Not Russ Tamblyn.

Not Jacques D'amboise.

Definitely Tommy Rall.

Maybe Marc Platt.

Hoping for Jeff Richards.

Who am I forgetting?

by Anonymousreply 324February 13, 2019 12:30 AM

Pat Renella, need a question settled that has been on my mind for a while.

Nice looking guy but cannot find a single female romantic link or anything else. Never married, no kids and died at aged 83 survived by a niece.

Guy wasn't so bad to look at, yet managed to have an entire acting career and life in Hollywood without a single female attachment. What gives? Family?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325February 13, 2019 12:48 AM

R324: you are forgetting Matt Mattox. I do not know if he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 326February 13, 2019 12:52 AM

Well at least one letter between Tyrone Power and J. Watson Webb isn't locked away in a vault.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327February 13, 2019 12:55 AM

I think Matt Mattox was straight. His granddaughter (or maybe great granddaughter) is currently a chorus girl on Broadway in many shows. She's lovely!

by Anonymousreply 328February 13, 2019 12:59 AM

Everard Baths was well known for "lewd" behavior going back to the 1920's. Did young gays think they invented something?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329February 13, 2019 1:02 AM

^ Even before then - that article has a bit about an anti-gay bust in 1919!

by Anonymousreply 330February 13, 2019 5:59 PM

Tyrone Power is said to have had an affair with Diana Barrymore's half brother Robin.

by Anonymousreply 331February 13, 2019 11:58 PM

R321: I will see your C.M. Hallard and raise you silent film star J. Walter Kerrigan, of the 'teens. His last big role was a western in 1925, during which he bitched about the heat, dust, and smell.

by Anonymousreply 332February 14, 2019 2:45 PM

[QUOTE]Rod Taylor? I can’t believe it. His second wife was Asian...so...

Ever noticed how many closeted white guys end up marrying Asian women ?

by Anonymousreply 333February 14, 2019 2:53 PM

R331

Cesar Romero and Tyrone Power had a very long affair.

by Anonymousreply 334February 14, 2019 2:53 PM

While Tyrone and Cesar may have initially been fuck buddies in their youth, I think it's widely known among inner circles that through most of their adult lives they were BFFs who divided and conquered every handsome young stud on the 20th Century Fox lot.

Do you think either of them ever undressed young John Payne?

by Anonymousreply 335February 14, 2019 4:12 PM

More about J. Warren Kerrigan (and also his partner, who was an actor too)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336February 14, 2019 4:15 PM

I was cruised by Jacques D'amboise about 20 years ago, on an island ferry boat off the coast of Maine, so we can check another one off R324's list.

by Anonymousreply 337February 14, 2019 4:43 PM

he was just inspecting your enjambement.

by Anonymousreply 338February 14, 2019 6:11 PM

Danny Kaye' s bf at the very beginning of his career was tap dancer Nick Long Jr., who appeared in Broadway Melody of 1936, tragically Long was killed in a car crash

by Anonymousreply 339February 19, 2019 2:27 PM

Laurence Olivier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340February 19, 2019 3:00 PM

Tom Tryon! He was gorgeous when he was young.

by Anonymousreply 341February 19, 2019 3:39 PM

Just a couple of straight guys hanging out! No homo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342February 20, 2019 12:55 AM

r341, he sure had lost his looks by r342's photo. He looks worn out.

by Anonymousreply 343February 20, 2019 2:37 PM

Anyone know anything about Loren Tindall? He was "Beef" in Good News. I always thought he was cute. There's next to nothing about his personal life on the net.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344February 20, 2019 2:39 PM

Another mystery man is Jimmy (sometimes Jimmie) Thompson. He was the uncredited singer in the "Beautiful Girls" fashion show number in "Singin' In The Rain", and featured in "Brigadoon", both Gene Kelly vehicles. He also appeared in small parts in two more MGM musicals, "Summer Stock" and "The Band Wagon". His IMDB entry has no biographical info, and there’s very little info anywhere else that I can find, except that he also worked with Kay Thompson on her stage shows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345February 20, 2019 3:32 PM

^ He was a cutie

by Anonymousreply 346February 20, 2019 3:43 PM

That’s what I thought, R346!

by Anonymousreply 347February 20, 2019 7:46 PM

There were some hot assed leading men back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 348February 20, 2019 8:09 PM

bumping for more

by Anonymousreply 349February 23, 2019 8:25 PM

Let's just say there's a reason why Rod La Rocque's screen name referenced his throbbing, turgid dick.

Sad that his wife (Vilma Banky) never got to enjoy his legendary man-meat, but she was of the Sapphic persuasion, so it all worked out splendidly for everyone involved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350February 24, 2019 6:33 AM

Best. Name. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 351February 24, 2019 3:59 PM

Leon Janney, who started out in the Our Gang series, always pinged for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352February 24, 2019 11:44 PM

R335

Did you know that Payne was 2 years older than Power ?

by Anonymousreply 353February 24, 2019 11:52 PM

Iconic photo of John Payne

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354February 28, 2019 4:16 PM

Any info on Gar Moore, who was married briefly to Nancy Walker? He always pinged to me

by Anonymousreply 355March 2, 2019 10:57 PM

That John Payne photo has to be one of the best ever taken of a man. Is that Hurrell?

Just because Matt Mattox, who I found the most attractive of the brothers, had children does not make him straight. He could have been but it's no guarantee. Think Anthony Perkins.

by Anonymousreply 356March 2, 2019 11:50 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 357March 3, 2019 2:28 AM

John Payne must have been one of the most photographed shirtless male stars of the pre-Henry Willson period. Perhaps because he was under contract to Fox like Betty Grable, he often posed for beefcake publicity photos not unlike her cheesecake versions.

by Anonymousreply 358March 3, 2019 2:36 AM

John Payne was straight but was very much into physical fitness and bodybuilding. And yes, R54, the photo is by Hurrell.

by Anonymousreply 359March 3, 2019 3:57 AM

R350 and it his real name! Among his films:

Wild, Wild Susan

Gigolo

Let Us Be Gay

HI, Gaucho!

Frisco Waterfront

by Anonymousreply 360March 3, 2019 4:15 AM

R345 Jimmie was Kay's son. And Marshall's brother.

by Anonymousreply 361March 3, 2019 8:53 AM

Old news, but: Lawford might have had a fling with Mineo while they were filming "Exodus"

by Anonymousreply 362March 3, 2019 8:57 AM

For me, blonde blue-eyed and quite cute, I have a thing for ethnic guys. Any movie I watch with Sabu turns me on and I would rip his loincloth off and deepthroat his purple cock without even asking permission.

I'm also in lust with Sal Mineo who just seem like someone who would just be fun to play around with and then go to a movie together. He did a film calles Tonka with a hot Dominican actor named Rafael Campos who is on a list of gay or bisexual actors but was married to Dinah Washington and had children from another marriage towards the end of his life. Raphael played the thug friend of James Khan's in Lady in a Cage. He looked short in stature, but something tells me that there was something massive inside.

Filipino actor Patrick Adiarte is also very hot, and I would be happy to pleasure him as well. if you think he's cute as a twink in The King and I, check him out in Flower Drum Song 5 years later and then the really bad cold classic Jon Goldfarb please come home. He later did the Brady Bunch episode where they go to Hawaii. There are also videos of him dancing on TV. He has an enthusiasm that is just delightful to watch.

I also recently discovered a Mexican actor (straight according to YouTube host by his grandson) named Pedro Gonzalez Gonzalez. He appeared on a Groucho Marx TV show and was so deliciously deadpan that I just wanted to reach into the screen and hug him. I saw him recently in a movie with the recently deceased Julie Adams called Wings of the hawk, and he was simply delectable.

If I had to choose from all of these hot ethnic guys, I think I would choose Sabu.I'd gladly remove all of those Jewels he was wearing in Black Narcissus and strip him down to his deliciously hot Indian body.

by Anonymousreply 363March 3, 2019 9:29 AM

Whew. Where are my smelling salts?

So are you a fan of young John Saxon (aka Carmine something)? Mario Alcalde?

Sabu has one of those pretty mouths that make his face look like a cock head. Sort of like Banderas.

by Anonymousreply 364March 3, 2019 9:56 AM

"I'd gladly remove all those jewels [Sabu] was wearing in Black Narcissus and strip him..."

Get in line, toots.

by Anonymousreply 365March 3, 2019 11:50 AM

r362, Maureen O'Hara claimed that Lawford and Richard Boone were caught at a male brothel in Australia while they were making a movie there

by Anonymousreply 366March 3, 2019 3:29 PM

She should talk. How about that article in Confidential exposing her fuck session with an usher in the balcony of the Burbank Rivoli?

by Anonymousreply 367March 3, 2019 5:56 PM

She said that wasn't true.

by Anonymousreply 368March 3, 2019 6:07 PM

Didn't she sue Confidential and won?

by Anonymousreply 369March 3, 2019 6:41 PM

Richard Boone sued her and won.

by Anonymousreply 370March 3, 2019 6:44 PM

But was Richard Boone gay?

by Anonymousreply 371March 3, 2019 6:46 PM

"Richard Boone sued her and won."

No, where did you get that?

"How about that article in Confidential exposing her fuck session with an usher in the balcony of the Burbank Rivoli?"

No, they claimed an usher saw her making out with a guy in a theater. The guy in question was not an usher.

by Anonymousreply 372March 4, 2019 1:41 AM

And it was the Pasadena Paramount.

by Anonymousreply 373March 4, 2019 2:12 AM

R369 Yes, O'Hara sued Confidential and won. She also got back at closeted director John Ford, who was alternately abusive and obsessed with her by outing him in her memoir:

From Maureen O'Hara's autobiography:

[quote]I went to Ford's office to show him the revised sketches for my wardrobe. My arms full of the sketches, I walked into his office without knocking and could hardly believe my eyes. Ford had his arms around another man and was kissing him. I was shocked and speechless. I quickly dropped the sketches on the floor, then knelt down to pick them up. I fumbled around slowly and kept my head down. I took my time so they could part and compose themselves. They were on opposite sides of the room in a flash. The gentleman Ford was with was one of the most famous leading men in the picture business. He addressed a few pleasantries to me, which were forced and awkward, then quickly left. Ford and I went on with our business. Not a word was said, and I played it out as if I hadn't seen a thing. Later, that actor approached me and asked, "Why didn't you tell me John Ford was homosexual?" I answered, "How could I tell you something I knew nothing about?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374March 4, 2019 2:38 AM

As to who might have been the actor Ford was caught snogging, we discussed this upthread @ R107 & R10.

by Anonymousreply 375March 4, 2019 2:45 AM

** R107 & R109

by Anonymousreply 376March 4, 2019 2:46 AM

R361, according to her Wiki page, Thompson didn't have any children. And Thompson wasn't a married name but a stage name, she was born Catherine Louise Fink

by Anonymousreply 377March 4, 2019 6:33 AM

I believe r361 was making a joke. A lame one.

by Anonymousreply 378March 4, 2019 12:54 PM

Jack Buetel.

Do you think Howard Hughes cast him for his exceptional acting skills?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379March 4, 2019 1:10 PM

Tom Drake.

Ironic that the boy next door was a gay man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380March 4, 2019 1:13 PM

[quote]r216 Ross Alexander ... another rumored homosexual who tragically ended his life with a shotgun at the age of 29.

oh, how sad : (

by Anonymousreply 381March 4, 2019 2:12 PM

R381, and Ronald Reagan replaced him.

by Anonymousreply 382March 4, 2019 2:47 PM

So this famous leading man was a friend and she did not want to out him. And it seems she already knew he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 383March 5, 2019 1:15 PM

Is it idle speculation that Drake became an alcoholic out of unrequited love for Lawford? Lawford was very handsome but I'd choose Drake. And who was that man Garland found in bed with Vincente. Guess we'll never know. I'd like to think it was Gene.

Interesting that Laurents writes in his book that there were rumors about Kelly. If anybody knew it was Laurents. If he had directly outed him the widow Kelly who has made a lucrative career out of carrying the flame of her dead husband would have garroted him.

by Anonymousreply 384March 5, 2019 1:27 PM

Laurents was also a vicious gossip who wasn't above inventing rumors. So who knows?

by Anonymousreply 385March 5, 2019 1:41 PM

Yes, he could be a veritable fishwife. But a dynamo in the sack.

by Anonymousreply 386March 5, 2019 2:22 PM

He wasn't even all that good looking but he seems to have known everybody and been invited everywhere. And the really only outstanding work of his that I know of is the book of Gypsy. Or at least has lasted as quality writing. I know people love TWWW and Turning Point but they are just high class soaps to me.

by Anonymousreply 387March 5, 2019 2:46 PM

He was decent looking as a young man. I think it's true that he knew a lot of people and was very social, although that may have been primarily professional. I have the impression that even his friends disliked him. By the time he was an old man, many long-time friends had basically turned away from him. Mary Rodgers and Sondheim are examples of loyal friends who just couldn't deal with him any more.

by Anonymousreply 388March 5, 2019 2:54 PM

"Bunkum"? It's bumkus. Some of you are too young to know these words.

by Anonymousreply 389March 5, 2019 3:07 PM

I think it is bunkum.

You may be thinking of bupkis.

by Anonymousreply 390March 5, 2019 3:11 PM

r389 's post is pure bunkum.

by Anonymousreply 391March 5, 2019 3:16 PM

I admit I fell in love with Sabu when I was around 4.

by Anonymousreply 392March 5, 2019 3:18 PM

I thought Friend of Dorothy meant friend of Judy Garland, am I right?

by Anonymousreply 393March 5, 2019 3:23 PM

I have never ever heard of the word Bunkum. I am thinking of the word bupkus.

by Anonymousreply 394March 5, 2019 3:27 PM

Bunkum is mid-century "nonsense." Bupkis= nothin'

They're really not interchangeable.

by Anonymousreply 395March 5, 2019 3:28 PM

Bunkum got shortened eventually to bunk.

Dictionary result for bunk /bəNGk/ nouninformal noun: bunk

nonsense. "anyone with a brain cell would never believe such bunk" synonyms:tnonsense, rubbish, balderdash, gibberish, claptrap, blarney, guff, blather, blether;

"that idea is just sheer bunk"

Origin: early 20th century: abbreviation of bunkum.

by Anonymousreply 396March 5, 2019 5:04 PM

The BWW chatroom reports of Glenda's LEAR are truly horrifying. Apparently, she enters in a man's black suit and looks like Charlie Chaplin.

by Anonymousreply 397March 5, 2019 10:42 PM

OOps. ^^^^That was intended for one of the Theatre threads.

by Anonymousreply 398March 5, 2019 10:44 PM

It's the punchline of a joke about summer camp: bunk cum

by Anonymousreply 399March 5, 2019 11:07 PM

That's very droll, r399.

by Anonymousreply 400March 5, 2019 11:09 PM

But Old Man River, he just keeps drollin' along...

by Anonymousreply 401March 5, 2019 11:12 PM

Van Johnson and Keenan Wynn were apparently "best of friends". Even Keenan's father, character actor Ed Wynn, suspected they might be fucking.

Van isn't my type but Keenan was kind of hot. Reminds me of a cross between Tom Hanks and vintage Colt model Steve Kelso.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402March 6, 2019 1:23 AM

One of the hottest gay rumors I've ever heard is that Montgomery Clift and character actor John Ireland were supposedly involved in a torrid affair on the set of "Red River".

John Ireland was HAF and reportedly had one of the biggest cocks in Hollywood. I think he's much sexier than Clift.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403March 6, 2019 1:33 AM

R4 Flynn's weakness was high school girls and exotics. If he experimented a bit with homo sex it was early on and never took. He liked brunettes. He was crazy about Olivia de Havilland and wanted to marry her but she was too aware of his problems and fended him off.

by Anonymousreply 404March 6, 2019 1:36 AM

John Ireland. Big dick face and big dick bulge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405March 6, 2019 1:40 AM

Or [R402] you could opt for the steampunk daddy version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406March 6, 2019 2:43 AM

More hung Ireland

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407March 6, 2019 3:12 AM

Johnny Ireland was constantly fucking around with Joan Crawford in her dressing room when we made Queen Bee.

by Anonymousreply 408March 6, 2019 11:41 PM

I wonder if hung daddy Ireland was really naked in this scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409March 8, 2019 2:18 AM

Yow. Well that was a direct ripoff of the Psycho shower scene.

by Anonymousreply 410March 9, 2019 2:19 AM

The derivative of the word "bunkum" comes from the North Carolina county of Buncombe (Asheville is the seat).

In the early 19th century, a congressman from the area would make long-winded, empty-headed speeches on Capitol Hill, using the phrase "I'm speaking for the people of Buncombe." His critics picked up the word to mock him, saying his speeches were full of buncombe, aka bunkum. It caught on because most politicians were and are full of bunkum.

by Anonymousreply 411March 9, 2019 2:44 AM

1950s beefcake actor Keith Andes left one his wives to move in with well-know bisexual Tony Curtis briefly in the 60s.

You may remember Andes as Lucille Ball's co-star in "Wildcat" on Broadway, and as the husband of Glynis Johns in her one-season sitcom in the 60s. He also played opposite of Marilyn Monroe in her early success Clash by Night.

Later, he became a personal favorite of CBS president James Aubrey, which set Hollywood tongues a'wagging in the early 60s. He got a CBS series out of it, but it only lasted one season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412March 9, 2019 2:54 AM

Not often we get an authentic nude of a Golden Age Hollywood actor with such clarity----even if it is a C-lister like Keith Andes.

Quite nice dick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413March 9, 2019 9:09 AM

Since when is Tony Curtis a well known bisexual?

by Anonymousreply 414March 9, 2019 10:25 AM

Tony acknowledged sleeping with guys in his younger days

by Anonymousreply 415March 9, 2019 3:29 PM

Skip Homeier was the poor man's Keith Andes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416March 9, 2019 4:23 PM

R415 He did?! Boy I missed that.

by Anonymousreply 417March 9, 2019 6:31 PM

I always liked Skip Homeier

by Anonymousreply 418March 10, 2019 2:24 AM

I like Christian Homeier as well, who is, reportedly, related.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419March 10, 2019 5:12 AM

^ Hot!

by Anonymousreply 420March 10, 2019 4:50 PM

Agreed, R364, Mario Alcalde was so handsome — always a treat to see in TV reruns. Died young in the early 1970s — wonder what happened there?

by Anonymousreply 421March 11, 2019 3:19 AM

Percy Helton pinged to high heaven.

See also, John Fiedler

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422March 11, 2019 5:51 AM

R421 nice to meet another Mario fan. IIRC, he also had a very nice voice. Periodically I try and find a "cause of death" for him. Zero. He had a small part as a cop in Dead Ringer.

R364

by Anonymousreply 423March 11, 2019 8:23 AM

Edmund Gwenn of "Miracle On 34th St" fame was, of course, a homosexual but no one cares to discuss it because, let's face it, if an actor isn't handsome and fuckable---WHO CARES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424March 11, 2019 8:30 AM

R424 But he's a ho ho ho! We can still giggle behind our hands that Santa's gay.

by Anonymousreply 425March 11, 2019 8:36 AM

After seeing "The Incredible Shrinking Man" a while ago it didn't surprise me in the slightest when I checked Grant Williams' bio to discover that he was a lifelong "confirmed bachelor".

Very handsome and classic looking guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426March 11, 2019 8:41 AM

Any truth to the rumor that Cagney once cornered and kissed a young Audy Murphy? I read it on a gossip blog many years ago and tried to find out any truth to it that I could. I just can't believe my Jimmy being an aggressive, red-headed, little daddy bear!!!

by Anonymousreply 427March 11, 2019 9:59 AM

[quote]Any truth to the rumor that Cagney once cornered and kissed a young Audy Murphy?

There's also the rumor I read a while back about Cagney giving Nick Adams oral on the set of Mr. Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 428March 11, 2019 2:04 PM

Cagney was married to the same woman for his career, no natural born kids (but they adopted a boy and a girl). Later in life, both kids were estranged from Cagney - wonder why? As a dancer with a tight ass, Cagney was probably no stranger to "the life".

by Anonymousreply 429March 11, 2019 2:19 PM

Well, he never fucked me!

by Anonymousreply 430March 11, 2019 2:26 PM

Cagney took a "distinct liking" to young actor Don Dubbins and cast him in a couple movies.....is there a story there?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431March 11, 2019 3:00 PM

Cagney started out as a drag dancer.

by Anonymousreply 432March 11, 2019 3:20 PM

R428, when Cagney was working on White Heat, he had a 3 way with Steve Cochran and Eddie O'Brien. Guess who was Lucky Pierre?

by Anonymousreply 433March 11, 2019 4:37 PM

In one of the Coward biographies the author says that Coward claimed to have slept with Cagney. In those pre code talkies Cagney is very cute. He was also friends with Lincoln Kirstein. That certainly widened my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 434March 11, 2019 7:35 PM

They would have made an, um, interesting couple.....

by Anonymousreply 435March 11, 2019 7:42 PM

Maybe Audie gave Cagney this look before James sprung into unbridled lust mode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436March 11, 2019 8:35 PM

R429, check out Grant Williams in "The Monolith Monsters" if you ever get a chance. It's your typical '50s SciFi nonsense, but Grant looked amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437March 11, 2019 8:41 PM

Any rumors about Jimmy Cagney and Horst Bucholz when they made 1 2 3 ?

by Anonymousreply 438March 11, 2019 9:07 PM

Supposedly Cagney loathed Buchholz and refused to even see the film because he never wanted to see Horst again. Were his old man advances spurned?

by Anonymousreply 439March 11, 2019 9:12 PM

Probably, r439. Wasn't Horst openly gay at that time?

by Anonymousreply 440March 11, 2019 9:51 PM

I don't know about that as he had children but he did admit at some point that he had bisexual experiences. I certainly found him very cute when I was a boy and saw Fanny on TV.

by Anonymousreply 441March 11, 2019 10:29 PM

What caused Horst's untimely death?

by Anonymousreply 442March 12, 2019 1:07 AM

R364, I worked in the Film/Programming Department at a syndicated TV station in Chicago for several years after college from the mid-80s to the mid-90s — great gig for a lifetime movie buff like me, as we had to oversee all the on-air programming. Tons of movies and TV shows from the 50s to the 90s, and this was where I first noticed Mario Alcalde. He seemed to guest on every show up to the early 70s, and his masculine presence was always a welcome sight. Had no idea until many years later that he’d passed away relatively young in the early 70s.

by Anonymousreply 443March 12, 2019 1:27 AM

R439 everyone loathed Buchholz, including Bette Davis, who worked with him in The Empty Canvas. Seems to have been loathable.

by Anonymousreply 444March 12, 2019 1:43 AM

Any Montgomery Clift fans here? The first time I watched From Here to Eternity I went in thinking it was a Burt Lancaster-Deborah Kerr movie but Clift stole the show right out from under them. HBO was supposed to be doing a biopic about him but they must have given up. I haven't read any updates on filming in over a year.

by Anonymousreply 445March 12, 2019 1:50 AM

I read Leslie Caron's book awhile ago and I don't remember her having any opinion on Buccholz. The two of them make a beautiful couple in Fanny. And she has no qualms about making Peter Hall look bad. I was surprised she was at his memorial.

by Anonymousreply 446March 12, 2019 2:04 AM

I don't know why but I always had the impression that Horst Buchholz died young. Maybe because I thought his biggest films were over before he turned 35.

So I looked him up just now and Wiki says he lived to be 69 and died in 2003. And it also says that he came out as bi in a German magazine called Bunte. And his son Christopher made a documentary about Horst that also talked about his bisexuality.

Who knew??

by Anonymousreply 447March 12, 2019 2:04 AM

Everyone is very funny in Billy Wilder’s much underrated “One Two Three!”

Probably my favorite comedy. I can quote dozens of lines from it.

by Anonymousreply 448March 12, 2019 2:09 AM

I liked 'Kiss Me Stupid' very much when I saw it at FF. I was very surprised as it is so notorious. And his career never really recovered from its fallout.

by Anonymousreply 449March 12, 2019 2:14 AM

More about Cagney!

by Anonymousreply 450March 12, 2019 2:35 AM

R449. It was a revelation. Just hilarious and very sweet. Novak is delightful. Walston replaced Sellers and was great. Imagine all the fuss at the time! But I don't think it would have hurt Wilder's career all that much.

Have you noticed how many of Wilder's films have the theme of masquerade?

by Anonymousreply 451March 12, 2019 2:54 AM

The sweetness was very surprising. As it was genuine and Wilder was so cynical and it often came through even when he was trying to be sentimental.

by Anonymousreply 452March 12, 2019 3:21 AM

Richard Travis

When he was cast as Bert Jefferson opposite Bette Davis in THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER, Warner Brothers promoted the heck out of him as a top star of tomorrow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453March 12, 2019 4:39 AM

Charles Drake

He was in so many movies, often in small but important roles. Likely best known to DLers for having played Kevin Gilmore in VALLEY OF THE DOLLS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454March 12, 2019 4:45 AM

Williams H. Daniels

Best remembered for playing Garland's brother 'Lon' in MEET ME IN ST LOUIS. Died at the age of 52 in 1973.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455March 12, 2019 4:47 AM

Robert Francis

His career was just starting and he'd only done four movies when he was killed in a 1955 plane crash. He was 25.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456March 12, 2019 4:50 AM

Tom Beck

Thomas Beck was under contract to Fox. He appeared in a handful of the MR. MOTO (Peter Lorre) movies, four CHARLIE CHAN flicks, was the priest in the 1937 Shirley Temple film HEIDI and about 20 other films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 457March 12, 2019 4:54 AM

Randolph Scott

First wife was the super dykey Marion duPont. Between films, he loved Cary Grant until he died in early 1987, just a little over 3 months after Cary Grant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 458March 12, 2019 4:58 AM

Nils Asther

Asther who was born in Denmark was a pretty big film star in the 1920s. By the early 30s his star was fading. Married once for less than 2 years, his other straight romance was with Great Garbo so take it for what its worth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459March 12, 2019 5:02 AM

What was the name of the tall, dark and handsome 20th Century Fox contract hottie who played a minor role in Niagara opposite MM as her secret lover and also partnered Susan Hayward in the title number dance in With a Song in My Heart? He had a very generic forgetful name but sizzling looks.

He seemed like someone who was cast purely for his looks so I wonder if he benefited a lot from Fox's casting couch?

by Anonymousreply 460March 12, 2019 11:52 AM

R460, that was Richard Allan. I just read his bio at IMDB and thought it was kind of sad, really. He was good looking and talented, and should really have had a big career, but somehow it never took off and he eventually left show business.

by Anonymousreply 461March 12, 2019 1:59 PM

R36, Peter Arne sounds like a real bottom feeder...embezzling Queen. I’ve known a couple of shady sissies like him from a dive bar in Philadelphia called The Post. Drunks, hustlers and faded queens reminiscing about the good old days. I knew a couple of guys who did time for embezzlement, stealing money from older people with lots of money. Lotta queens like that who resort to stealing money to live the high life.

by Anonymousreply 462March 12, 2019 2:50 PM

"Married once for less than 2 years, his other straight romance was with Great Garbo so take it for what its worth."

Was that a studio created "romance" like Garbo's "romance" with Ramon Novarro?

"Lotta queens like that who resort to stealing money to live the high life."

Maybe, but so do a lot of straights

by Anonymousreply 463March 12, 2019 2:57 PM

Wasn’t Silent film actor George O’Brien bi/gay? He was good friends with John Ford. Allegedly, John Ford was such good friends with the magnificent looking Woody Strode that Woody nursed him during his final days when he was bedridden.

by Anonymousreply 464March 12, 2019 4:03 PM

John Ford was one ugly fuck

by Anonymousreply 465March 13, 2019 1:01 AM

I wonder what guys John Ford nailed....

by Anonymousreply 466March 13, 2019 3:18 AM

R459, there's a story that once, when Asther kissed Garbo rather roughly in a scene, she said to him, " I'm not one of your sailors." He was good opposite Stanwyck in General Yen.

Any "evidence" for Richard Travis or Charles Drake? Drake has a small part in Now Viyager, in the flashback on the ship, where he kisses young Charlotte and gets in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 467March 13, 2019 3:32 AM

Richard Travis was handsome

by Anonymousreply 468March 13, 2019 3:45 AM

ghtyr5y

by Anonymousreply 469March 13, 2019 5:45 PM

Garbo was funny. Cruel but funny.

by Anonymousreply 470March 14, 2019 1:30 PM

Any Clifton Webb dirt? I heard he used to "audition" young, cute actors

by Anonymousreply 471March 15, 2019 7:58 PM

Darwin said that Garbo refused to kiss Asther because she didn't know where his mouth had been last night. She should talk.

by Anonymousreply 472March 15, 2019 8:27 PM

bump for more gossip

by Anonymousreply 473March 19, 2019 7:45 PM

R20, I got it on with George Maharis at a notorious gay sex club in Manhattan, the Mineshaft. He had a big cock and was an alpha. I'm sure hundreds of others did, too.

by Anonymousreply 474March 19, 2019 7:52 PM

^ There are like a dozen dataloungers who have claimed to have gotten it on with Maharis over the years. I don't doubt you at all, I'm sure he got around.

by Anonymousreply 475March 19, 2019 7:54 PM

R471 rumors that Robert Mitchum in his early days was "sponsored " by Webb.

R472 a flash from always-reliable Darwin?

by Anonymousreply 476March 19, 2019 8:26 PM

R474 who did what to whom?

Years ago I heard that he liked to fuck on his motorcycle (presumably when it was not in motion).

The hepatitis that took him off Rte 66 was supposedly contracted when he had scenes in a river, but I've wondered...

Incredibly hot guy.

by Anonymousreply 477March 19, 2019 9:07 PM

R477 I blew him, for sure. He may have fucked me, but it's been a lot off years (approx. 1980).

by Anonymousreply 478March 19, 2019 10:35 PM

Well it's good you're both still with us.

by Anonymousreply 479March 19, 2019 10:39 PM

Hats off to the eldergays who got a piece Maharis...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480March 20, 2019 4:23 AM

George is 90 now - is he in good health?

by Anonymousreply 481March 20, 2019 6:20 PM

Does anyone really know if he's worn a hairpiece for decades? He was in the first production of Zoo Story, IIRC. Any dish on him and Albee?

by Anonymousreply 482March 20, 2019 8:34 PM

Clifton Webb was "friends" with Robert Wagner

by Anonymousreply 483March 21, 2019 2:48 PM

R483 No doubt. What's the real story on RJ The Brylcreem Kid?

by Anonymousreply 484March 22, 2019 4:21 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 485March 29, 2019 8:37 PM

Any info on Theodore Newton? I'm watching The Working Man ('33) with George Arliss and a young blonde Bette Davis and he pings. Barely any biographical info

by Anonymousreply 486March 31, 2019 1:50 PM

I remember seeing Theodore Newton in a couple episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents and thinking he was a handsome daddy. Can't find much info on him, either.

by Anonymousreply 487March 31, 2019 3:15 PM

Character actor John Hoyt, always played prissy characters, married for the first time when he was like 50. His character in Winter Meeting was about as gay as you could get by the standards of 40s movies

by Anonymousreply 488April 1, 2019 10:00 PM

Indeed, R488. Queen par excellence. See his antiques dealer in The Big Combo. He was married, to a woman , for many years, but was known to like the young guys, and, IIRC, sometimes more than one at a time. Always looked like he took very good care of his built.

by Anonymousreply 489April 1, 2019 10:59 PM

R488, I remember John Hoyt from "When Worlds Collide" as the wheelchair bound financier of the project. He comes off as gay there as well, or just prissy.

by Anonymousreply 490April 1, 2019 11:07 PM

RJ Wagner was a pass-around bottom at Fox in the early 1950s, mainly between Clifton Webb, Spencer Tracy, Gilbert Roland and Richard Boone. Oh, and Barbara Stanwyck, too.

RJ wasn't fussy.

by Anonymousreply 491April 1, 2019 11:15 PM

John Hoyt - the missing link between Ernest Thesiger and Jonathan Harris.

by Anonymousreply 492April 2, 2019 12:01 AM

Robert Wagner was Clifton Webb's houseboy early on in his career, as were Clint Eastwood and Jeffrey Hunter

by Anonymousreply 493April 2, 2019 1:21 AM

John Hoyt was Grandpa on over 80 episodes of DL fave "Gimme A Break."

by Anonymousreply 494April 2, 2019 2:18 AM

"He was married, to a woman , for many years, but was known to like the young guys, and, IIRC, sometimes more than one at a time."

Juicy! Did you know him personally?

by Anonymousreply 495April 2, 2019 2:58 AM

R491 and R493 Interesting that Scotty Bowers doesn't mention RJ although he probably has lots of dish on him. He won't out anyone who's still alive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 496April 2, 2019 6:36 AM

Yeah, he's a smarty. The dead can't sue.

by Anonymousreply 497April 2, 2019 7:03 AM

I’ve wondered about John Smith from “Laramie”. He was briefly married to actress Luana Patten in the early ‘60s, but the marriage dissolved after she filed for divorce citing that “he seemed to have a habit of saying he was going away for the weekend and then wouldn’t show up until 20 or 21 days later.” It’s rumored that he fathered a daughter, but that was never substantiated. He was beautiful, and one of Henry Willson’s boys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498April 2, 2019 7:27 AM

What's this about Clint Eastwood being Clifton Webb's houseboy?!

by Anonymousreply 499April 2, 2019 3:51 PM

[quote]r498 He was briefly married to actress Luana Patten in the early ‘60s, but the marriage dissolved after she filed for divorce citing that “he seemed to have a habit of saying he was going away for the weekend and then wouldn’t show up until 20 or 21 days later.”

Crazily, I've always wanted to know more about the somewhat obscure Miss Luana Patton.

I saw a pic of her once from a Vincent Minelli film (HOME FROM THE HILL) and just thought, "She looks like a good actress...expressive."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500April 2, 2019 4:03 PM

At CDAN, there's an Old Hollywood blind about Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald, it sounds like he got most of his info from here

by Anonymousreply 501April 3, 2019 11:31 PM

Here's the blind I was referring to:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502April 4, 2019 3:32 AM

What's that mean?

by Anonymousreply 503April 8, 2019 1:26 AM

What about 40s twink Lon McCallister? He was friends with George Cukor and was a regular at his parties

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504April 8, 2019 2:27 AM

I always get a kick out of interviews with actors once represented by Henry Wilsson. They all claim to know that Henry went after his models, but it's always somebody else, not them.

by Anonymousreply 505April 8, 2019 2:38 AM

I NEVER slept with Henry Willson, Clifton Webb, or any other guy to get roles! Never, ever! I am 100% straight and I got the top purely based on talent and hard work!

by Anonymousreply 506April 8, 2019 2:43 AM

Okay, RJ, not you or Tab Hunter or John Saxon or Mike Conners or Rock Hudson or Guy Madison or Rory Calhoun , etc., etc., etc.

by Anonymousreply 507April 8, 2019 2:48 AM

or me

by Anonymousreply 508April 8, 2019 3:36 AM

Rock Hudson and Guy Madison DEFINITELY slept with Willson. Willson had naked photos of Madison that he would show to people.

by Anonymousreply 509April 8, 2019 2:29 PM

I'm watching "Nancy Drew, Detective (1938)" on TCM. Here's a cute young guy. Frankie Thomas as Ted (?!) Nickerson.

I can't find anything about his personal life, but I did discover that, years later, he was TV's "Tom Corbett, Space Cadet" from 1951-55. I'm not eldergay enough to remember that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510April 9, 2019 7:05 AM

Now he's in drag as a nurse, sneaking Nancy into a sanitarium.

by Anonymousreply 511April 9, 2019 7:09 AM

"Tom Corbett, Space Cadet"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512April 9, 2019 7:32 AM

I’m glad someone upthread mentioned Keith Andes. If you are a fan of film noir beefcake Andes fits the bill nicely.

“A Life at Stake” features Andes along with Miss Angela Lansbury, as the femme fatale, and the legendary Miss Jane Darwell as the boarding house owner.

First beefcake siting is at 00:01:20 in. No one was leaving the theater at that point to get popcorn. Keith definitely knew how to do dumbbell flyes. His pec separation & definition is very well done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513April 9, 2019 12:12 PM

Someone mentioned Rod Taylor - I would've given my right nut to fuck Rod Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 514April 9, 2019 12:18 PM

[quote] Willson had naked photos of Madison that he would show to people.

I hope those are preserved in the National Archives. Guy Madison was so good looking, they should be.

by Anonymousreply 515April 9, 2019 1:51 PM

Willson also claimed that Madison, though hot, was NOT hung

by Anonymousreply 516April 9, 2019 4:22 PM

Keith Andes was in an episode of The Rifleman where he kidnapped and roughed up a young Johnny Crawford. Every time I watch that episode, I SO wish I was Johnny.

by Anonymousreply 517April 9, 2019 5:39 PM

Guy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518April 11, 2019 6:18 PM

William Eythe

by Anonymousreply 519April 11, 2019 6:58 PM

Any Van Johnson stories? I know there was one poster who claimed to have hooked up with Van (in his eldergay years, not at the peak of his fame)

by Anonymousreply 520April 11, 2019 8:57 PM

Guy Madison posed for AMG when he first arrived in LA and some of the photos were published in Physique Pictorial over the years. I don't think there were any full frontals ever published but that doesn't mean there weren't any taken.

by Anonymousreply 521April 11, 2019 10:00 PM

I think the 3 handsomest TV actors with the best builds were Robert Conrad (The Wild, Wild West), Van Williams (The Green Hornet), and Gary Conway (Land Of The Giants). Absolute perfection, even if they were B-level actors.

by Anonymousreply 522April 12, 2019 12:34 AM

[quote]Guy Madison posed for AMG when he first arrived in LA and some of the photos were published in Physique Pictorial over the years. I don't think there were any full frontals ever published but that doesn't mean there weren't any taken.

Quite a few actors posed for physique photos when they were trying to get into the movies. Silent-era star George O'Brien posed for many artistic photos as well as nudes. Burt Lancaster's photos are well documented and online. John Wayne in his pre-stardom Marion Morrison days posed as well as did Gary Cooper. (Cooper's father, a conservative judge who initially did not favor his son entering into the motion picture business, managed to have the photographs seized.) And, while not AMG/studio photos, during the set of photos taken of Steve McQueen at his house, McQueen supposedly had a few full-frontals done for his own benefit but those will unfortunately probably never see the light of day as they're most likely owned by his estate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 523April 12, 2019 3:00 AM

R467

25 years after NOW, VOYAGER Drake played Kevin Gilmore in VALLEY OF THE DOLLS. On an anniversary edition DVD of VALLEY OF THE DOLLS there was running commentary from Barbara Parkins & Ted Casablanca. Parkins insinuated that Drake was not interested in women when Casablanca asked if there were any sparks between them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524April 12, 2019 4:05 AM

R522

Don't forget William Smith of tv's LAREDO !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 525April 12, 2019 4:07 AM

Someone must have mentioned Ross Alexander. Livvy was with him 85 years ago in Midsummer Night's Dream!

by Anonymousreply 526April 12, 2019 7:58 AM

R520 Only that Spencer Tracey was obsessed with Van and kept a framed photo of him on his bedside table.

by Anonymousreply 527April 12, 2019 8:07 AM

R524 That was one of the dishiest commentary tracks I've ever heard. They must have given Barbara Parkins a couple martinis before starting. She really dished on the actor who played Tony. She kept referring to him as a lounge lizard.

by Anonymousreply 528April 12, 2019 8:18 AM

I may well be getting this wrong, but wasn't Van's bad car accident while he was filming A Guy Named Joe with Spence, who insisted that Van not be fired and replaced while recuperating? We know Van was a dancer in the original Pal Joey with Kelly and IIRC Donen. And Lorenz Hart lurking around.

by Anonymousreply 529April 12, 2019 8:18 AM

R526 Oh, yes. Check out R216.

by Anonymousreply 530April 12, 2019 4:08 PM

I think he was married but Zachary "Monte Beragon" Scott pings for me

by Anonymousreply 531April 18, 2019 5:04 PM

Men in Kilts sometimes called Brigadoon had quite a collection; Minelli, Kelly, Johnson, Laing(who is going to destroy the town because the lassie he loves is in love with another laddie. Ha!), Thompson...

by Anonymousreply 532April 19, 2019 2:08 AM

I REFUSE to believe that John Ford was a sissy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 533April 19, 2019 5:15 AM

r533, denial isn't just a river in Egypt

by Anonymousreply 534April 20, 2019 2:49 AM

I think Lon McAllister and William Eythe were long term partners.

by Anonymousreply 535April 20, 2019 3:02 AM

Longish. Eythe drank himself to death by 38.

by Anonymousreply 536April 20, 2019 9:10 AM

Eythe was busted for cruising while he was doing a Broadway show

by Anonymousreply 537April 20, 2019 3:19 PM

Google translated article on Lon McAllister and William Eythe, not a huge amount of into though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 538April 20, 2019 3:27 PM

There was a pic of Danny Kaye in drag as Kay Thompson for a charity benefit concert in NYC probably from the early '50s. I can't find it anywhere but he looked like Kay's identical twin

by Anonymousreply 539April 21, 2019 2:10 AM

As mentioned earlier, Danny Kaye and Laurence Olivier seemed like an odd pairing. Who are some others which make you think "Him and *HIM*?!?"

by Anonymousreply 540April 22, 2019 7:22 PM

I just checked on Wikipedia and it's true William Eythe and Lon McAllister did end up living together after the collapse of Eythe's disaster of a marriage that lasted 2 years. I wonder what it was like for a young gay couple living together back then. They had to be so careful in public.

by Anonymousreply 541April 22, 2019 7:39 PM

Horst Buchholz was mentioned upthread. While he was good-looking as a younger man, he did not age well. I assume he was a smoker...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 542April 22, 2019 7:41 PM

From the SUMMER STOCK MEMORIES thread, many years ago:

In the mid 70s, in spite of the zeitgeist of free love and gay rights, Cape Cod was still a very conservative place. The staff and apprentices who arrived at the beginning of the Falmouth Playhouse summer season would start a brief, chaotic journey, moving from innocence to curiosity to indulgence to decadence...

I’ve shared with you, dear reader, that I was not so innocent in those days. My preference was for musicians, although I was intrigued with the star fucker game. I loved older men, and even though some of you will comment with “eeeewwwww, gross” if I named names, I will admit that I came very, very close to finding out if Van Johnson was as endowed as his legend would have you believe. He was a real gentleman...

by Anonymousreply 543April 22, 2019 7:47 PM

Just read on Wikipedia that Horst was open about his bisexuality. Apparently he lived in Berlin and his wife in Paris. Obviously they had an arrangement

by Anonymousreply 544April 22, 2019 8:01 PM

[quote] I wonder what it was like for a young gay couple living together back then. They had to be so careful in public.

Ask Cary and Randy.......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545April 22, 2019 9:12 PM

r542 But was he hung like a Horst?

by Anonymousreply 546April 22, 2019 10:45 PM

So, R543, close, but no cigar?

by Anonymousreply 547April 22, 2019 11:48 PM

R543, more about Van!

by Anonymousreply 548April 22, 2019 11:53 PM

Did you touch Van's johnson?

by Anonymousreply 549April 23, 2019 3:41 AM

He always said, "I Van to be alone" as part of his Garbo imitation.

by Anonymousreply 550April 23, 2019 4:16 AM

Robert Helpman, best known as the child-catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551April 23, 2019 4:23 AM

From Robert Helpman's Wikipedia page:

[quote]...An anonymous obituary in The Times of London, likely penned by John Grigg, the former Lord Altrincham, caused upset, particularly one paragraph which stated: "His appearance was strange, haunting and rather frightening. There were, moreover, streaks in his character that made his impact upon a company dangerous as well as stimulating. A homosexual of the proselytising kind, he could turn young men on the borderline his way."

Apparently Robert Helpman turned out the Lord Altrincham

by Anonymousreply 552April 23, 2019 4:29 AM

"Van Johnson mine," sayeth the lard. In Van's dotage.

by Anonymousreply 553April 23, 2019 10:00 AM

My straight college buddy was a PA on "Atlantic City". Said Burt Lancaster hit on him all the time.

by Anonymousreply 554April 23, 2019 11:02 AM

r554, good dirt!

by Anonymousreply 555April 23, 2019 2:37 PM

At 12:30 pm TCM is showing The Story of Seabiscuit, one of Lon McCallister's films

by Anonymousreply 556April 23, 2019 3:31 PM

Lon Mccallister and William Eythe produced the musical revue Lend an Ear that launched Carol Channing's career. How gay is that?

by Anonymousreply 557April 23, 2019 4:56 PM

Any gossip on black actor Joel Fluellen? He was very good friends with Dorothy Dandridge and allegedly hooked up with Billy Strayhorn

by Anonymousreply 558April 27, 2019 12:56 AM

John Wayne and Gabby Hays

by Anonymousreply 559April 27, 2019 2:15 AM

R554 Thanks for that delectable tidbit.

by Anonymousreply 560April 27, 2019 2:27 AM

What do people know about Hurd Hatfield (so perfect as Dorian Grey) back in the 1940s.

by Anonymousreply 561April 27, 2019 5:53 AM

I always thought it was somewhat well-known that Burt Lancaster was bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 562April 27, 2019 3:00 PM

Hurd Hatfield was definitely family.

by Anonymousreply 563April 27, 2019 3:59 PM

How about John Dall from Gun Crazy and Rope?

by Anonymousreply 564April 28, 2019 2:01 AM

Supposedly, Bette Davis had to take Dall aside when they were filming "The Corn Is Green" and tell him to butch it up. Years later, when Dall did a lot of Perry Mason episodes, he really does look like an old queen.

by Anonymousreply 565April 28, 2019 2:07 AM

Dall was a hottie in his heyday. Do you think he and Burr hooked up when he guest-starred on Perry Mason? That is, when he wasn't hanging upside down naked from a tree *ahem*...

[quote]Hollywood pimp Scotty Bowers has claimed that Dall was one of his most unusual clients, and liked to be tied upside down to trees in Laurel Canyon in the middle of the night. "He liked to hang upside down naked until morning. Once a week he wanted this."[58] According to music journalist Phil Milstein, at the time of his death Dall had lapsed into alcoholism and was living with his partner, actor Clement Brace (died 1996).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566April 28, 2019 2:17 AM

That Scotty story sounds made up, like the ones about stars being into scat

by Anonymousreply 567April 28, 2019 2:20 AM

What about hunky Johnny Sands who played Shirley Temple's high school letter man boy friend in The Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer?

by Anonymousreply 568April 28, 2019 2:29 AM

Handsome Robert Francis, who was in The Caine Mutiny and a few other films before dying in a plane crash at age 25

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569April 28, 2019 4:18 AM

R564 I wonder if John Dall & Farley Grainger got it on together during the very few takes between scenes in Rope. Hitchcock hired both of them because he wanted gays in those roles which is fair enough as they were meant to be lovers.

by Anonymousreply 570April 28, 2019 5:30 AM

R565: John Dall had to be warned to stay away from the Welsh Men's Chorus in "The Corn is Green" as well!

by Anonymousreply 571April 28, 2019 2:54 PM

Marc Wilder was choreographer Jack Cole's long time bf and muse, and he allegedly died of HIV

by Anonymousreply 572April 28, 2019 3:41 PM

Marc Wilder was handsome

by Anonymousreply 573April 28, 2019 4:41 PM

Let's pay tribute to George Nader, who was gay and gorgeous!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 574April 29, 2019 4:13 AM

Rock Hudson and George Nader.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575April 29, 2019 4:49 AM

R574 Interesting link with hot pix of Nader. We now know from Tab Hunter's memoir that his agent Henry Willson sold him out to Confidential Magazine in exchange for keeping Rock Hudson out of the press. Maybe he did the same to Nader but it sounds like his article never ran whereas Tab's did.

[quote]In September 1955, just as my career was taking off — I had just starred in one of the biggest box-office hits of the year, Battle Cry — Confidential targeted me. It all came about because Henry Willson, who "discovered" me and many other "pretty boy" actors, was upset when I left him to be represented by another agent. Around the same time, he learned that Confidential was planning to out Rock Hudson, who still was one of his clients, so he cut a deal with them to keep Rock out of their pages, feeding them dirt on me instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576April 29, 2019 5:48 AM

Did Rock and George ever hook up?

by Anonymousreply 577April 29, 2019 4:17 PM

Rock Hudson and George Nader were friends and perhaps more. Many photos of them together, especially shirtless, boating, water skiing, etc.

by Anonymousreply 578April 29, 2019 7:38 PM

James Mason and Leslie Howard always pinged for me.

by Anonymousreply 579April 29, 2019 8:32 PM

That's the Brit. Howard was a dedicated pussyhound.

by Anonymousreply 580April 30, 2019 2:28 AM

They were just prissy straight guys

by Anonymousreply 581April 30, 2019 3:29 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 582May 4, 2019 7:46 PM

Any info on Sterling Holloway? Wikipedia says he was a "lifelong bachelor" (and you know what that means...)

by Anonymousreply 583May 4, 2019 8:22 PM

Leslie Howard was definitely straight, but he did play a gay man in the Powell & Pressburger film The 49th Parallel.

by Anonymousreply 584May 4, 2019 8:49 PM

From Sterling Holloway's wiki page:

"A lifelong bachelor, Holloway once claimed this was because he felt lacking in nothing and did not wish to disturb his pattern of life, but he did adopt a son, Richard."

Was this a Papa Rackover "I adopted my trick!" kind of thing?

by Anonymousreply 585May 5, 2019 2:09 AM

Sterling Holloway introduced "Manhattan" and "Mountain Greenery."

by Anonymousreply 586May 5, 2019 2:25 AM

George Nader was long partnered with a man named Mark Miller. Mark was Rock Hudson's secretary/assistant for years and years and they all palled around together. If George and Rock hooked up a time or two, it didn't seem to affect the trio's friendship as they stayed close up to Rock's death. George died at age 80 a few years back, still with Mark.

I've never seen the package on Rock in this detail before. Unless someone has tinkered with the pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 587May 5, 2019 6:28 AM

Didn't Rock leave most of his dough to George and Mark?

George and John Saxon in The Unguarded Moment are quite a pair. Also has Esther "Polka Dots" Williams.

by Anonymousreply 588May 5, 2019 7:19 AM

R583 Sterling Holloway and Sterling Hayden were a Hollywood power couple.

by Anonymousreply 589May 5, 2019 7:29 AM

I LOVE Sterling Hayden. He was THE voice of Disney. His work in Dumbo, Peter and the Wolf, Alice in wonderland, The Jungle Book, Winnie the Pooh, Lambert the Sheepish loin, The Aristocats....it goes on.

by Anonymousreply 590May 5, 2019 7:47 AM

Sorry i meant Sterling Holloway

by Anonymousreply 591May 5, 2019 7:48 AM

I loved Lambert the sheepish loin!

by Anonymousreply 592May 5, 2019 1:42 PM

If anybody was straight, it was Sterling Hayden. Good red.

by Anonymousreply 593May 5, 2019 8:22 PM

Good red?

by Anonymousreply 594May 5, 2019 8:27 PM

Admitted to have been a communist.

by Anonymousreply 595May 5, 2019 11:48 PM

Rock and George would have been scorching hot as a couple, too bad Nader already had a hubby

by Anonymousreply 596May 6, 2019 3:28 AM

There's some new game show channel. They run old Match Game episodes. Here's Tab in 1978. Doesn't he look great? Everyone was still pretending he was straight, even Charles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597May 6, 2019 3:51 AM

^ Tab would have been pushing 50 at the time but still looked good!

by Anonymousreply 598May 6, 2019 4:04 AM

Since this thread is about to max out, I'll start a part 3

by Anonymousreply 599May 6, 2019 4:06 AM

Part 3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600May 6, 2019 4:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!