Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Megyn Kelly Defends Blackface

During a panel discussion, Megyn Kelly wondered "But what is racist?" when it comes to costumes choices for the October holiday.

"Because you do get in trouble if you are a white person who puts on blackface on Halloween, or a black person that puts on whiteface for Halloween," she said. "And back when I was a kid, that was OK, as long as you were dressing up as, like, a character."

Kelly then mused about a recent blackface controversy to expand on her stance.

"There was a controversy on 'The Real Housewives of New York' with Luann (de Lesseps). She dressed as Diana Ross, and she made her skin look darker than it really is. And people said that that was racist. And I don’t know!" she explained. "I thought like, who doesn’t love Diana Ross? She wants to look like Diana Ross for one day, and I don’t know how that got racist on Halloween."

Her comments were rejected by the group at the "Today" table and plenty of people on social media reacted similarly:

by Anonymousreply 47October 25, 2018 4:01 PM

Well, Megyn Kelly also said that Jesus was white and claimed that there was proof for that.

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2018 8:12 PM

I’ll dress asMeghan Kelly’s pussy so someone dressed as Roger Ailes can grab it

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2018 8:15 PM

I'd be disappointed if the bitch didn't defend it. She's as predictable as the payments Miss Graham makes to her South Carolina rent boys.

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2018 8:15 PM

[R1]

Wait - What? Are you saying Jesus wasn't the first blonde haired blue eyed Palestinian?

Are you going to claim next that Jesus didn't preach in fluent German????

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2018 8:16 PM

this woman is truly awful

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2018 8:16 PM

Wait a minute, does selecting yes mean we think it’s “no big deal” or that we think it is a big deal?

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2018 8:18 PM

Megyn also pointed out that Santa is white.

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2018 8:19 PM

I think you can dress up however you like on Halloween. Where's the insult of dressing like Diana Ross? I thought the bobsledders were genius. It's not like you are dressing like the KKK. I went to a party where a guy was dressed as George Jefferson's mother from the Jeffersons. He was awesome. People are so fucking offended about everything. Relax.

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2018 8:24 PM

She took it back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2018 8:30 PM

Highlight

I realize now that such behavior is indeed wrong, and I am sorry. The history of blackface in our culture is abhorrent; the wounds too deep.

I’ve never been a “pc” kind of person — but I understand that we do need to be more sensitive in this day and age. Particularly on race and ethnicity issues which, far from being healed, have been exacerbated in our politics over the past year. This is a time for more understanding, love, sensitivity and honor, and I want to be part of that. I look forward to continuing that discussion.

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2018 8:35 PM

NBC brass called Miz Racist Kelly on the carpet, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2018 8:38 PM

r8, white homos are notorious racists, no wonder you're defending this bitch. Did your friend cork his face to play Mother Jefferson, too?

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2018 8:42 PM

Well Jesus was a Jew and I’ve now been told by the ultra left that all Jews are white.

Black face used to mean something entirely different. Now the Countess wearing tan makeup is blackface and little kids dressing up as Moana are racist.

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2018 8:43 PM

R12 I don't know what that means but she was his favorite television character and he could speak like her also. He even went to a few of her tapings and got her autograph. He called me when she died. He dressed as a lot of characters and was good at it.

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2018 10:06 PM

I like blueface.

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2018 10:38 PM

I like this gal. So what if she's a little conservative.

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2018 11:26 PM

Racist?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2018 11:31 PM

Somebody please tell me why this bitch still has a job.

The third choice on the poll should read, "tar and feathers is a much better look for her."

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2018 11:33 PM

Dear NBC, can you please put her wherever it was you put Matt Lauer?

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2018 11:35 PM

She is truly horrible

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2018 11:38 PM

While you're at it....Can Americans please stop accusing other nationalities of racism every time they fail to take into account AMERICAN racist history. How the hell are we supposed to guess your weird racism taboos like fried chicken or blackface?

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2018 11:40 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 24, 2018 4:00 AM

Megyn is just mad she was called out because she was going to be Al Jolson for Halloween. She’s going to have to go as Pocahontas instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 24, 2018 4:11 AM

"Pay attention to meeee!"

by Anonymousreply 24October 24, 2018 4:15 AM

Double negative, OP? Really? Now I don't know, about the people who answered 'no' on the poll, if they mean that blackface is no big deal or the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 25October 24, 2018 4:25 AM

Jesus was not a “Palestinian.” R4.

by Anonymousreply 26October 24, 2018 5:37 AM

it’s true that when we were young, blackface was not taboo.

by Anonymousreply 27October 24, 2018 5:54 AM

It was taboo then, and is now.

Fuck megyn kelly.

by Anonymousreply 28October 24, 2018 6:44 AM

I am confused. She knew Santa doesn't wear blackface.

by Anonymousreply 29October 24, 2018 6:53 AM

I'm not a Megyn Kelly fan. I am not a conservative or a Republican. But I don't see the blunder in what she said.

Blackface is an identifiably derogatory caricature: Mammy, Lawn Jockies, Aunt Jemima, minstrel-show darkies. It is racist and abhorrent.

Dressing up as Diana Ross, or Michael Jackson for halloween - or for a dragshow or costume party - is not blackface. Any more than dressing up as George Hamilton would be blackface. Anybody remember Fred Armisen portraying Barack Obama for like an entire season? That was wrong for many reasons - but not because it was 'blackface'.

Blackface as a stereotyped, derogatory portrayal of black people is wrong. Dressing up as Diana Ross or Beyonce, or whomever, is not.

by Anonymousreply 30October 24, 2018 7:06 AM

STFU, R30. Die, already. It’s time to go.

by Anonymousreply 31October 24, 2018 7:29 AM

R31 has never had a moment of fun in her sad little life

by Anonymousreply 32October 24, 2018 12:05 PM

[quote]it’s true that when we were young, blackface was not taboo

I thing we’ve found the oldest living datalounger. Born in 1909.

by Anonymousreply 33October 24, 2018 12:24 PM

[quote]R31 has never had a moment of fun in her sad little life.

Why? Because I’m not stubbornly clinging to 100+ year-old social norms? Because I’m not a racist troll online? Are these things really your idea of fun?

And yet MY life is the sad one. Ok. Sure.

by Anonymousreply 34October 24, 2018 1:56 PM

Holy fuck, they must truly hate her at Today and NBC News for them to trash her on The Today Show, instead of doing damage control or sweeping her comments under the rug. Oh, and get this -- they actually replayed the clip of her White Jesus remarks from Fox News!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 24, 2018 2:16 PM

Go away Megyn nobody likes you.

by Anonymousreply 36October 24, 2018 2:19 PM

They hate her at NBC because her ratings are so low.

by Anonymousreply 37October 24, 2018 2:22 PM

Do black people ever do whiteface?

by Anonymousreply 38October 24, 2018 2:25 PM

It's people like R31 that are the problem.

by Anonymousreply 39October 24, 2018 2:46 PM

R31 Kys fuck face.

by Anonymousreply 40October 24, 2018 2:53 PM

Here you go, R38. Wish I could find the whole skit - it's hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 24, 2018 6:41 PM

The Wayans brothers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 24, 2018 7:31 PM

Totally agree with R30.

by Anonymousreply 43October 25, 2018 12:12 PM

That's exactly it, R37. Andy Hack would be mum's the word about this if her ratings weren't already in the toilet. His explicit goal is to destroy NBC and turn it into another Fox. He thought he was so fucking clever, trying to force his audience to accept this Diet Ann Coulter bitch under the guise that standing up to Trump ONE time made her some brave feminist truth teller now.

by Anonymousreply 44October 25, 2018 1:38 PM

[quote] Do black people ever do whiteface?

They had a six month storyline on Young and Restless where Phil Morris played a character masquerading as a white man, because of a contract killing on him

by Anonymousreply 45October 25, 2018 1:41 PM

R41's video is not available in the US

by Anonymousreply 46October 25, 2018 1:43 PM

R30 few are going to give a shit about your context. I do, but don't expect it.

What most, especially younger know about blackface is 'you have black on your face, it's bad about black people, and you're bad'. Even the Zoolander coal face might be seen as bad bad blackface to some weakminded.

But yes, what it actually is, is a structured dehumanization of black people. It's not the makeup, it's the dehumanization. In that context, it is not actually bad to dress up and Beyonce PLUS somewhat darken your face skin among other makeup, as its just committing to the role so the visuals *aren't* jarring, but many who lack knowledge of blackface just assume there is maliciousness, (ironically) ignorance, etc. And they can do that, because blackface and all sorts of racism is *still an issue*.

Gays have a lot of stereotypical and some utterly dehumanizing portrayals. I'm not about to blast a straight man for putting on some visual and behavioural traits to portray specific gay men though.

by Anonymousreply 47October 25, 2018 4:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!