Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever discovered a secret about someone after he or she died?

NYC interior decorator Mario Buatta is emerging as an unlikeable person as revelations about his nasty behavior (and Trump admiration) emerge after his death. Have you ever made some posthumous discovery about someone that rattled your bones?

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2018 4:05 PM

Yes. My mom told me a hair raiser a week before she died.

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2018 1:11 PM

What did she tell you?

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2018 1:20 PM

My mother did too.

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2018 1:24 PM

My cousin found out that her mother had a baby she put up for adoption.

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2018 3:12 PM

I found out that Michael Myers is my uncle after my Mom died.

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2018 3:14 PM

my mother fudged her married cert and we discovered my mom was preggers when she was married. (This was shocking in the 1950's.) my mother was old at the time - for the time - 38. my oldest sister died never knowing this. and now i think my parents were totally just a shotgun marriage - with no courtship at all.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2018 3:16 PM

My grand aunt in ME was married back in the ‘40’s but her husband up and left her. She kept his last name. We knew that he left but never the reason why.

He went and started a new life down in Florida. “Wife” and kids (couldn’t remarry but you catch my drift,)

Every year (for 60 years or so) he would come up to ME and see my grand aunt for a week. Business trip he would tell FL family. None of us knew that he came back.

Scandalous-ish!

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2018 3:25 PM

After my mother's death, I learned from her estranged siblings that she (& they) were biracial, & that she'd lied about her parentage to conceal the truth. I'm sorry that she was ashamed &/or afraid, but many/most people felt that way at the time ('40s-'50s-'60s), so I can't blame her too much for trying to protect herself & her children, though I wish she hadn't. Among other things, my medical history knowledge isn't complete or accurate.

At the moment, I'm wondering what to do about my own secret, which my late husband's mother confided to him about his being illegitimate. By the time of her death, she was estranged from her other son & his wife, so I assume they don't know that she bore a baby out of wedlock & lied that her husband was the father. Sometimes I feel that her secret is not mine to share (she may not even have realized that I know) -- other times, I wonder if my brother-in-law might be helped by realizing that his rigid mother had been vulnerable once & was just a flawed human like the rest of us -- then again, his judgmental wife encouraged their feud & would probably be thrilled to find one more basis for criticism, & I don't really want to contribute to that.

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2018 4:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!