Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Charlie's Hollywood Star of the Week: Miss ARLENE FRANCIS

[quote]A weekly feature in which my five-year-old son is let loose on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, one of the most popular tourist attractions in Los Angeles, and chooses a star from among the more than 2,500 honorees. His “random” picks sometimes reveal unexplained connections such as the summer day in 2012 when he sat down on the star of actress Celeste Holm and refused to budge.

Message to Charlie in 2038: Welcome to Datalounge, your natural home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 25, 2018 11:00 PM

Are you a leading lady or a character actress?

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2018 2:58 AM

I'll bet Charlie has never been in the legitimate theater.

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2018 4:16 AM

Does Charlie wish everyone a pert And cheerful "Good Morning?"

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2018 4:21 AM

Dorothy was a chinless cunt. Delighted she was Murdered

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2018 4:29 AM

Arlene is really good in "The Thrill of Of It All", especially the opening scene when she practically has an orgasm when she finds out that she's pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2018 7:48 PM

Buzzr, which for a long time showed the B&W 1950s episodes of "What's My Line?," is now showing the syndicated color episodes from the '70s. Arlene is still a panelist, fortunately, but instead of Bennett Cerf and the deceased Dorothy Killgallen, we have Soupy Sales and Anita Gillette.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2018 8:15 PM

SHIT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2018 8:17 PM

[quote]Buzzr, which for a long time showed the B&W 1950s episodes of "What's My Line?," is now showing the syndicated color episodes from the '70s. Arlene is still a panelist, fortunately, but instead of Bennett Cerf and the deceased Dorothy Killgallen, we have Soupy Sales and Anita Gillette.

Don't forget me, ya fat whore!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2018 8:18 PM

Buzzr is also showing the color episodes of "To Tell the Truth" from the '70s. The one I saw had three original panelists: Kitty Carlisle, Peggy Cass and Orson Bean, plus Bill Cullen.

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2018 8:29 PM

Buzzr cuts the panel intros on the color shows and the MG segment is only given 3 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2018 8:30 PM

R6, All 17 years of the B&W shows are on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2018 8:31 PM

I like Soupy and Anita Gillette. There was someone named Gail on this past week, but since they don't introduce the guests, I don't know who she was. At least "Larry Blyden" has his full name on display at all times; the panelists just have first names. I wonder if anyone ever tried to substitute Kitty Carlisle for Arlene and Arlene for Kitty on "To Tell the Truth" if anyone would know the difference?

by Anonymousreply 12October 24, 2018 3:06 AM

One of the very best MG on the color show is Patty Duke. In fact, it's so good I'll fine it for you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 24, 2018 3:07 AM

"find" it. Enjoy! Patty's a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 14October 24, 2018 3:14 AM

Arlene Francis was a closet Armenian.

by Anonymousreply 15October 24, 2018 3:19 AM

I've been watching the old What's My LIne shows on YouTube for the past couple of months. Fun to see the old time stars back in the day. Arlene's frequent quips really make the show. She must have been a terrific guest at parties.

by Anonymousreply 16October 24, 2018 4:07 AM

Not all of the original episodes are on youtube because many of them don't survive. But yes, of the ones that do, many are on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 17October 24, 2018 6:01 AM

[quote]Arlene's frequent quips really make the show. She must have been a terrific guest at parties.

Arlene wrote the book on charm, R16!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 25, 2018 3:17 PM

She was good in "Gigi" on Broadway, but I was disappointed that Agnes Moorehead had taken ill and had to leave the production. To a kid, it was like the quiz show mistress was replacing Endora. They were both famous, but Moorehead probably would have been more fun.

by Anonymousreply 19October 25, 2018 10:32 PM

Boy, people on DL like to rag on Dorothy Kilgallen--"chinless" Dorothy Kilgallen. She was a very interesting woman and path-breaking "girl reporter" and had the most enviable job I've ever heard of --reporting on New York nightlife on the radio with her real-life gay husband on a show called "Mornings with Dick and Dorothy." Why doesn't DL adore her???? If you want more information, read the biography by Lee Israel--yes, the same person Melissa McCarthy plays in the new movie.

by Anonymousreply 20October 25, 2018 11:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!