Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trump: “I’m a Nationalist”

President Trump on Monday declared himself a "nationalist" as he railed against Democrats and "globalists" who put the wellbeing of the world over the country.

At a raucous campaign rally in Houston, Trump warned supporters that Democrats will seek to restore influence to "corrupt, power-hungry globalists."

"You know what a globalist is? A globalist is a person that wants the globe to do well, frankly, not caring about our country so much," Trump said. "And you know what, we can’t have that."

The crowd began booing as Trump moved on to his preferred descriptor.

"You know, they have a word. It sort of became old-fashioned. It’s called a nationalist," he continued. "And I say really, we’re not supposed to use that word. You know what I am? I am a nationalist. Use that word."

The crowd broke out into chants of "USA" in response.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 24, 2018 4:59 AM

Stupid is as stupid does.

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2018 2:00 AM

Nationalists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2018 2:01 AM

Though it is funny to hear Russia’s number two son blathering on about nationalism.

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2018 2:01 AM

He's an irrationalist.

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2018 2:04 AM

Wow. I guess "nationalism" no longer has a negative connotation in this country.

Patriotism I can get behind, but nationalism?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2018 2:07 AM

He's definitely winning again.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2018 2:09 AM

He's come out and said it.

Doesn't he realize that if the whole globe is doing well then so are we.

If Central America countries were brought up from poverty, they wouldn't all want to come here.

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2018 2:10 AM

Rallies and golf courses. Can’t they see he does no work?

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2018 2:11 AM

Dictator in the making...for real.

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2018 2:11 AM

I hate this timeline.

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2018 2:13 AM

Let’s hope one of the generals he surrounds himself with gets the kill order and saves us all.

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2018 2:16 AM

I know

If only they’d stayed Berenstein

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2018 2:16 AM

nationalism is another word for fascism

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2018 2:17 AM

More voters will turn out and save the day.

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2018 2:17 AM

[quote]Doesn't he realize that if the whole globe is doing well then so are we.

No, he really doesn't. With Trump, the only way he can "win" is if the other side visibly loses. He simply has no concept of a win-win situation or of a trade where both sides benefit in some way. And he's wrenched the rank-and-file of the Republican Party into his world view, which is going to lead to a shitload of damage in the long term.

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2018 2:49 AM

fear november....

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2018 3:09 AM

"NATIONALIST" MEANS NAZI!!!

PUNCH, DELETE, IMPEACH, THEN FLUSH STRAIGHT DOWN THE SHITTER!!!

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2018 3:28 AM

R15 is probably right. I doubt he values collaboration at all.

Not the non secret, non unethical, non immoral, kind anyway.

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2018 3:31 AM

I wish he would just STFU! Puhlease!!

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2018 3:45 AM

None of Trump's cosmetic policies will ever improve life, wages, benefits or job security for working Americans.

It's all Band Aids and lip service for votes and his dirt-dumb supporters devour every lie.

Republican, corporate scumbags like Donald Trump and Mitt Romney outsourced America's jobs to "shithole countries" ages ago and red-state idiots still think he's going to make their jobs great again.

HIS TARIFFS ARE PUTTING AMERICANS OUT-OF-WORK, AS TRADE WARS ALWAYS DO!

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2018 3:50 AM

It's Trumply simple: Inculcate "Fear and Loathing of All Non-White, Non-'Christian,' Non-American, and Non-Male Others."

Meanwhile, in the real world in which Trump operates, it's "Steal, Cheat, Swindle, Attack, Lie About, and Destroy" everything that helps ordinary Americans.

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2018 3:54 AM

Ah, Christ, he finally just came out and said it.

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2018 5:15 AM

My country, right or wrong!

by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2018 5:22 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2018 3:30 PM

Dog whistle

by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2018 3:36 PM

This is going better than I dared to hope!

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2018 4:01 PM

I just think he meant patriot. He gets words confused. Nothing to get worked up about.

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2018 4:01 PM

[quote]I just think he meant patriot. He gets words confused.

No, he meant 'nationalist.' That's why he set up the word as though it was semi-taboo before he said it. He wasn't speaking spontaneously. He knew precisely which buttons he was pressing and which messages he was sending. His friends in the KKK - 'very fine people' - went to bed especially happy.

by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2018 4:08 PM

That was the least of his ravings at that rally- the hoard coming through Mexico with terrorists in tow, the Dems paying children to accompany adults, etc. Hitler has nothing on Trump. His leadership is based only on playing to racism and fear by telling any lie that comes into his head. He is the craziest and most dangerous President in American history.

by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2018 4:11 PM

From Mirriam Webster:

Definition of nationalism 1 : loyalty and devotion to a nation especially : a sense of national consciousness (see CONSCIOUSNESS sense 1c) exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups

What's wrong with that exactly?

by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2018 4:13 PM

Call me old-fashioned but I miss the days of final solutions.

by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2018 4:14 PM

Nationalism as a political movement is what's wrong, R30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2018 4:15 PM

Except it's not, R32. And you know it.

by Anonymousreply 33October 23, 2018 4:16 PM

“Globalist” = Jew

by Anonymousreply 34October 23, 2018 4:16 PM

Except it is, R33, and you know it.

by Anonymousreply 35October 23, 2018 4:17 PM

[quote] What's wrong with that exactly?

There is nothing wrong with it. Some people see it as a dog whistle, but being a nationalist just means that you put the interests of America and its people above other countries. It doesn't mean you don't want other countries to do well nor does it mean preserving racial demographics.

[quote] That was the least of his ravings at that rally- the hoard coming through Mexico with terrorists in tow

Why lie about this when the truth is bad enough? If I were a democrat, I wouldn't touch this issue with a ten foot pole.

by Anonymousreply 36October 23, 2018 4:17 PM

R30 in 1938: "I don't see what's the big problem with this Hitler fellow. He's got the trains running on time and just what is wrong with a Germany for the Germans anyway?"

by Anonymousreply 37October 23, 2018 4:20 PM

Mussolini was supposedly the one who kept the trains running on time (although this was false). Hitler was more along the lines of, "Every other country is taking advantage of us, working against us, with terrible deals. We need to put Germany first!" Gee, I wonder who that sounds like?

by Anonymousreply 38October 23, 2018 4:22 PM

R37 Godwin's Law much?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 23, 2018 4:22 PM

[quote]1c) exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups

Indeed, Deutschland Über Alles, for example. If Trump didn't know very well he was being daring and edgy by using the word 'Nationalism' he would have just introduced it without preamble. He's never usually so tentative. He and his hack speechwriter knew exactly the negative connotations and gutter populism the word would evoke.

by Anonymousreply 40October 23, 2018 4:25 PM

See, here's the thing, R39. Godwin himself has said that you can use Hitler when it's appropriate to do so. In a discussion of nationalism, it's appropriate to do so.

by Anonymousreply 41October 23, 2018 4:25 PM

R41 When you call everyone Hitler it loses its power and meaning. Give it up.

by Anonymousreply 42October 23, 2018 4:26 PM

R39 is too stupid to realize that Trump is actually the one bringing up Hitler. And yes, it's deliberate.

by Anonymousreply 43October 23, 2018 4:27 PM

But see, R42, I'm not "calling everyone Hitler." I'm referring to someone calling themselves a Nationalist and drawing the obvious parallels to the rise of nationalism in Germany. The analogy is obvious and appropriate and your lame attacks against it are rather stupid. Give it up.

by Anonymousreply 44October 23, 2018 4:29 PM

Except he didn't, R43. You did. Thanks for playing.

by Anonymousreply 45October 23, 2018 4:30 PM

[quote] When you call everyone Hitler it loses its power and meaning. Give it up.

Not everyone, just a stupid venal vulgar US 'President' who has now endorsed 'Nationalism' at a rally of screaming supporters. The very fact of 'rallies' invites comparisons with the Third Reich. Comparisons ever more unnervingly parallel.

by Anonymousreply 46October 23, 2018 4:33 PM

He said we will make nuclear weapons until everyone comes to their senses. Spending a trillions on bombs we can't use, sounds good to Deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 47October 23, 2018 4:34 PM

Nazis were Nationalist. So it is just the same old, same old, with Trump.

by Anonymousreply 48October 23, 2018 4:36 PM

Protectionist, or protectionism, yes, acceptable, though not an old plank of The Republican Platform. Nationalism, uh...NO! A resounding "HELL NO" response to someone who has emboldened racists and white supremacists. Someone else may have gotten away with it, but clearly not this jackass.

by Anonymousreply 49October 23, 2018 4:42 PM

China the country that's Nationalist par excellence... will soon be taking over the world.

by Anonymousreply 50October 23, 2018 4:43 PM

“By ‘nationalism’ I mean first of all the habit of assuming that human beings can be classified like insects and that whole blocks of millions and tens of millions of people can be confidently labeled ‘good’ or ‘bad.’”

— George Orwell, “Notes on Nationalism,” 1945

by Anonymousreply 51October 23, 2018 4:50 PM

Time for the global elites to order a hit on this fat mcdonalds cheeseburger of a human.

by Anonymousreply 52October 23, 2018 4:57 PM

This is what the most evil people in the world want for America and they will make sure that the vote shows it. Republicans will win again and our Democracy is over. The propagandist have fought and won and the people who paid their salaries should be named.

by Anonymousreply 53October 23, 2018 5:12 PM

He forgot to say "white" before "nationalist".

by Anonymousreply 54October 23, 2018 5:17 PM

I believe it's supposed to be implied, r54.

by Anonymousreply 55October 23, 2018 5:36 PM

I believe it was de Gaulle who said something to the effect of: patriotism is when love of country comes first, nationalism is when hatred of others comes first.

Donald "America sucks" Trump knows exactly what words he's using and why.

by Anonymousreply 56October 23, 2018 5:47 PM

Trump should have just spit out what he really meant - Ethnic Nationalist.

by Anonymousreply 57October 23, 2018 6:00 PM

Of course TrumpsterFire meant 'Nazi' when he said 'Nationalist'. Didnt one of his ex-wives mention he kept Mein Kampf on his nightstand and quoted certain passages? He read that thing like it was the bible. I think it was the first wife. Anyway, of course someone like Hitler would be inspirational to a psychopathic narcissist. He cannot conceive how a man can have any other kind of power in the world, other than invading Poland and subjugating millions to death camps. Twitler would LOVE that to be his legacy.

by Anonymousreply 58October 23, 2018 6:11 PM

Don't be stupid, this was no accident. His father was arrested in 1927 at a kkk march.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 23, 2018 6:12 PM

Patriotism is love for one's country while Nationalim is hatred of other countries because "the other" is felt and represented as a threat. Nationalists typically believe "the others" are within the country, hence why nationalism usually descends to fascism. You cannot separate nationalism from fascism because there's always the element of "pure, righteous people" versus "the others".

A nationalist President in a multi cultural democracy like the USA is a nightmare, for his nation in his mind is white (and straight).

He's not going after USA's neighbors, you know...

by Anonymousreply 60October 23, 2018 6:13 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 23, 2018 6:17 PM

[quote] Wow. I guess "nationalism" no longer has a negative connotation in this country.

It never did outside university faculty lounges and GH Bush's New World Order crowd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 23, 2018 6:24 PM

[quote]I believe it was de Gaulle who said something to the effect of: patriotism is when love of country comes first, nationalism is when hatred of others comes first.

Perfect. Viral, ideally.

by Anonymousreply 63October 23, 2018 6:33 PM

Trump is an idiot, but the real problem is his followers are bigger idiots. Trump lies to them constantly and they eat up every word as the Gospel. Trump says that he could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue and he wouldn't lose a single supporter and his stupid followers take that as a compliment but instead Trump is insulting them, they are just too damn stupid to realize it.

Trump tells them the tax cut will benefit the middle class and that is all the proof they need, they ignore that Trump also told all his Mara-lago rich buddies that he just made them all a lot richer. Even more they fail to realize the tiny increase in their salaries is nothing to compared what the rich got.

Trump tells them that a border wall that will cost billions will stop illegal immigration, when 1/3 of the people coming here illegally come on a VISA most through airports and just never leave, if they can build an effective wall, which they can't, that number will just increase.

by Anonymousreply 64October 23, 2018 6:38 PM

Why are you still feeding the troll OP? He never contributes to the threads he starts. His whole agenda is to post something that would cause Democrats to fight with each other.

Why would you not ignore a poster who supports Kavanaugh and a Supreme Court with a right-leaning majority?

by Anonymousreply 65October 23, 2018 6:40 PM

Thanks for the info R65

by Anonymousreply 66October 23, 2018 6:46 PM

There should be a thread on Trump's "I'm a Nationalist" statement. It's news and it's scary. This OP merely posted a link and excerpts to the story - I have no idea what other threads they've started.

by Anonymousreply 67October 23, 2018 6:46 PM

[quote]His whole agenda is to post something that would cause Democrats to fight with each other.

Epic fail then. Democrats are united in hating Trump yet more.

by Anonymousreply 68October 23, 2018 6:54 PM

The tariffs are starting to hit all fly over states now, now that it’s harvest time and no place to sell it and, apparently, the government bailout isn’t enough to keep them solvent. I wonder how his followers will feel in a years time when they are without a market. Nationalism won’t keep them afloat.

by Anonymousreply 69October 23, 2018 7:01 PM

[quote] This OP merely posted a link and excerpts to the story - I have no idea what other threads they've started.

When you look at it in the context of all other threads started by OP, on a daily basis, you'll see that OP has an agenda. And not a of a democratic kind. Besides, what kind of person wants a conservative Supreme Court? Not a Democrat or a liberal.

-- CNN Exclusive: Judge Kavanaugh's Accuser Wants FBI Investigation Before Testifying

[quote][bold]He’s guilty because he has an R after his name. Al Franken and co are totally innocent though. [[R125]], Democrats are desperate to get rid of Kavanaugh. They couldn’t care less if it’s true or not. This is all they have. Spare me the “think of the poor woman” routine when this board calls women and the MeToo movement every name in the book. It’s only when it’s convenient do posters suddenly side with the alleged victim.

[quote]When is DNC chairman Keith Ellison going to step down? Dems don’t have a leg to stand on. [/bold]

--- "All Kamala Haris has to do is ask to see his calendar the day of the hearing and see if he wrote any entry in it. If it's not there, he's outta there."

[quote][bold]Oh, is Kamala gonna pretend to know something again and then come up with nothing for the three billionth time? Give me a break. Diane Frankenstein needs her old ass kicked out of the party for sitting on this shit. [/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 23, 2018 7:06 PM

Threads started by OP re Kavanaugh hearings:

**BREAKING** Chuck Grassley Claims That Dr Ford’s Ex-Boyfriend Witnessed Her Coaching Witness On How To Take Polygraph Test

Outside counsel in Kavanaugh hearings argues Ford case weak on legal grounds

Only 46% of white American women believe Dr. Ford

The supreme hypocrisy of Democrats' Kavanaugh strategy

Dershowitz: 'All the rules are called off' when the left accuses a white man of sexual offenses

Trump: “It’s a very scary time for young men in America.”

[quote]Yep.

Collins On Kavanaugh: Activists Tried To Buy My Vote

White House Finds No Support in FBI Report for Claims Against Kavanaugh

[quote]Well that’s over.

DERSHOWITZ: IMPEACHING KAVANAUGH WOULD BE FOOLISH, UNCONSTITUTIONAL

by Anonymousreply 71October 23, 2018 7:08 PM

Thank you for yet another lie, asshole Drumpf. Your whole business is run GLOBALLY and you use immigration visas to staff them so you don't have to pay the people who live there to work there. You sir, are a fucking liar.

You're only claiming to be a nationalist because you think this equates to patriotism. You're just using the dog whistle for fascists and you know it. Nationalism is not what you think it is, moron.

Thanks, R71.

by Anonymousreply 72October 23, 2018 7:53 PM

I’m nauseated!

by Anonymousreply 73October 23, 2018 9:09 PM

R7, Honduras has an extremely high murder rate, and there are claims the leadership is beyond corrupt with basic services like electricity barely available for the very poor. Like Venezuela it's become a failed state. So without invading Honduras and essentially running it, what's your solution? Multi-national United Fruit Co has a lot of power.

Thought that this situation is what the UN was originally designed to help.

by Anonymousreply 74October 23, 2018 9:17 PM

[quote] Thought that this situation is what the UN was originally designed to help.

No, the UN was originally designed to constrain the United States.

by Anonymousreply 75October 23, 2018 9:38 PM

This implies that the Dems put other countries first. How stupid. Presidents Obama and Clinton were American Patriots. They happened to be liked and respected by non-Americans, but they obviously put America first.

Meanwhile, Trump is a Russian asset, if not agent. Unlike any President before him, he’s colluding and conspiring with the Russians.

by Anonymousreply 76October 23, 2018 11:11 PM

His inauguration speech was threaded with all this shit & hardly covertly (well, Bannon wrote the damn thing & you know what he is). Even GWB couldn't believe it. I am not sure what I am missing today - this has been the way he's behaved since day one.

by Anonymousreply 77October 24, 2018 4:05 AM

He meant Nazi and he wants his people to know what he meant.

by Anonymousreply 78October 24, 2018 4:52 AM

The economic nationalism that he is advocating will maybe give America a short sugar rush and boost but it will wear off and I believe ultimately backfire. I think we could see trump loathers globally informally boycotting many American goods. This policy of Trumps will backfire.

by Anonymousreply 79October 24, 2018 4:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!