Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WWE wrestler battling Leukemia

Roman Reigns, WWE's biggest active star and certainly its most polarizing performer, announced in a shocking statement Monday night that his real-life battle with leukemia will force him to step away from the ring effective immediately. The 33-year-old Reigns, real name is Joe Anoa'i, opened Monday's episode of Raw with the reveal that was anything but a storyline or predetermined moment.

WWE's universal champion said he was originally diagnosed back in 2008 at age 22. Though he quickly went into remission, he has been fighting the disease since. Reigns apologized to the Providence, Rhode Island, crowd for not being the workhorse and fighting champion his character aimed to be. He also announced he will relinquish the title effective immediately.

"That's all lies and it's a lie because the reality is my name is Joe and I've been living with leukemia for 11 years and unfortunately it's back," Anoa'i said. "Because the leukemia is back, I can't fulfill my role. I can't be that fighting champion and I'm going to have to relinquish the universal championship. I'm not going to lie, I'll take every prayer you can send my way but I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm not looking for you to feel bad for me because I have faith."

WWE ✔ @WWE .@WWERomanReigns has to relinquish the Universal Championship due to a battle with leukemia. #Raw

8:18 PM - Oct 22, 2018 13.7K 7,390 people are talking about this Twitter Ads info and privacy Anoa'i, a former college football standout at Georgia Tech who has appeared in the last four main events at WrestleMania, made sure to let his fans know that Monday would not be his final day in a WWE ring as he delivered the solemn news dressed in street clothes.

"Sometimes life throws you a curveball and the best thing for me to do is to go home and focus on my health," Anoa'i said. "But I want to make one thing clear: By no means is this a retirement speech because after I'm done whupping leukemia's ass, I'm coming back home. And when I do, it's not going to be about titles and being on top, it's about a purpose.

"I'm coming back because I want to show you all at home and my family and my children and my wife that when life throws a curveball at me, I will choke up and I will swing for the fences every single time. I will beat this and I will be back so you will see me very, very soon."

Reigns was pulled from some WWE house shows over the weekend. Fans speculated that Reigns was injured, while industry reporters were told that the company had simply given its top star time off.

WWE released a statement shortly after the opening segment: "Tonight on Monday Night Raw, Roman Reigns (aka Joe Anoa'i) announced that he is relinquishing the WWE Universal Championship and taking a leave of absence from WWE as he once again fights leukemia, which had been in remission since late 2008. Reigns is taking his battle with leukemia public in an effort to raise awareness and funds for research in order to advance cures for the disease."

Anoa'i went on to call being diagnosed at age 22 before the disease went into remission "the hardest time in my life with a baby on the way and football being done with me." He then praised WWE for being the only team to give him a chance before doing the same to the crowd for helping him achieve his dream to become a professional wrestler.

"It didn't matter if you cheered me; it didn't matter if you booed me," Anoa'i said. "You always reacted to me and because of that I have to say thank you so much."

Following Reigns' announcement, Shield members Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose joined him atop the entrance ramp. Rollins (with tears in his eyes) and Ambrose stuck out their fists and Reigns joined them in a show of solidarity before the trio hugged.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 7, 2019 10:37 AM

He has a hot ass but he won't live forever.

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2018 1:13 AM

All I know about him is that he is so fucking beautiful.

I've had people in my life with leukemia. It sucks. I wish him the best.

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2018 1:19 AM

Good luck to him.

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2018 1:24 AM

[quote] All I know about him is that he is so fucking beautiful.

???

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2018 1:26 AM

Steroids

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2018 1:40 AM

Ah, poor Romes. He was one of the good(-ish) guys on that 2010’s roster.

Apparently Roman taking ill is one of the larger factors in Dean Ambrose taking his final bow, along with the fact that Dean himself almost died of MRSA last year and has been depushed into corny gimmicks by Creative. He’s set to leave WWE in the Spring and I don’t think he’s ever coming back. He may even retire and leave wrestling together with his millions and gorgeous ESPN wife, and I don’t blame him.

I personally didn’t like either of their WWE characters or the Shield faction so I don’t care from a viewer standpoint, but given their potential as workers it’s sad. It’s also a bit of a shame we probably won’t ever see Dean back on the indies as Moxley to finish some of his greatest feuds like vs. Nick Gage or Jimmy Jacobs, but there’s other life to live. I don’t think he ever was cut out for the Corporate A&E biz anyway.

Thank you Joe, and thank you Jon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 29, 2019 4:42 PM

They say Roman’s coming back on Monday but just to update people on his condition. It’s gonna be interesting to see how people react to him coming back. I know everyone SHOULD want him to get well but don’t exactly want him back anytime soon. Like John Cena before him he wasn’t getting the pop his cousin the Rock would get in his prime. While he does seem likable, looking back especially thanks to the WWE Network, he was totally jammed down our throats especially during and the months leading up to that disaster main event he had with HHH at Mania. Storyline wise it was recycling old storylines which is nothing new but with someone much less likable than say a Stone Cold for example. Everyone accept maybe the ladies were either rolling their eyes or lost interest, went to the bathroom ot just left early when they were recycling the Stone Cold vs. Vince MacMahon angle but with Reigns replacing Austin. That storyline was downright insulting in many people eyes. Really Roman’s getting suspended by Vince and feuding with the MacMahons? Than he comes back and attacks everyone at the very end of Raw pushing away officials and authority figures to get to them? So now the MacMahons have a huge vendetta towards Roman. Than they give him #1 in the Rumble so he has less of a chance of winning than Vince had his cronies take him out in the middle of the match ala Stone Cold In ‘99? Than miraculously he makes a full recovery and rises from the ashes and goes back in so they can make him look super human? What’s insulting is EVERYONE knows Vince is consumed with getting Roman over and making him the biggest name in the company. To see this bs storyline makes Vince looks like he thinks his fans...oops! WWE UNIVERSE, are living in a bubble and are really gonna fall that kayfabe crap. They need to just tweak his character. He’s tattooed with long hair and seems to have a little more of an attitude than a clean shaven, clean cut, kid friendly Cena. They have a small window to turn him heel but now that he has cancer when he comes back Vince will surely replace an aging, Hollywood acting, part timer in Cena with Reigns when it comes to children’s charities especially now that he’s battling sickness himself. Vince did not want a HEEL Cena “scaring” the poor sick kids who may think what they’re watching is real. Look at HHH on Kimmel a few years back. Jimmy had a 4 year old boy as his cohost and when HHH came on as a guest it looked like he wanted to crap his pants. He looked terrified. So I think this bout with cancer is gonna give Vince the incentive to keep him a face even though he will throw in an “ass” or “bitch” in his promo to make him seem a little edgier. So while it will be great to see him returning in hopefully good spirits, if he comes back as their top baby face immediately they might not only be losing fans, Cody and Kenny Omega have AEW now so there MIGHT be a new option, but they could lose a lot of their (mainly RAW unless Roman goes to Smackdown) roster to AEW, Japan, ROH, Impact etc. who feel they deserve main event status. I’m still pulling for him, it’s the writing and the politicing that could suffer like before. Good luck though Roman. See you Monday.

by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2019 4:31 AM

He gonna die.

When leuk comes back, it's ovah. Particularly so after 10 years.

RIP.

by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2019 5:35 AM

Thank you Mark Callaway. Who would come back just to tell everyone he’s dying? That’s pretty morbid. Hopefully that won’t be the case.

by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2019 6:02 AM

R8 thinks he is a doctor, when, in fact, he is just a meanie.

by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2019 6:03 AM

R7 right.

What Creative have failed to understand is the distinction between character & actor. Joe Anoa'i is cute & cuddly and a soft sweet Good Dad, who is suffering illness. Roman Reigns on the other hand is a ‘Big Dog’ and a ‘Superman’ (WWE words, not mine), this fairly unscrupulous mega-badass with tattoos who likes drinking and scrapping and used to run a Security racket (SHIELD). Unfortunately in this age of Dead Kfabe it’s almost impossible to completely separate these two persona, but WWE and Joe/Roman himself could have done more.

They’re trying to turn Roman into a Cena when really he’s a Diesel/Nash. Now that I say it, I’d pop hard for a WCW-era Nash-esque version of Reigns who is the laziest most selfish POS imaginable; he sets up lackadaisical schemes against his bosses to get out of working and/or book himself and his buddies comfortably, and knocks back NyQuil like soda as he chuckles to himself sitting in Vince’s office chair while the whole organisation burns.

Or better still you could take the easiest route and give Reigns a Samoa Joe gimmick - which he kind of tentatively teased at using when part of The SHIELD - where he is just this dominating wall of Pacific Islander Hurt & Muscle, with this grimdark idea about beating people up for the shit of it because...reasons. Dolled and roughed up the right way Roman looks scary as fuck so I think a heel turn like that would rule. But that won’t happen because of Make-A-Wish or some other bullshit (no disrespect to those sick kids, who are exploited as much as wrestlers by McMahons).

by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2019 8:45 PM

The difference is, well a while back at least, Roman got 10 times more exercise than Nash ever did just walking through the crowd alone. If it were up to Nash he’d have had one of those mini rings from Mania 6 (or to bring out an aging, out of shape Andre at Mania 3) to bring him to the ring instead of risking injury by WALKING to the ring ;)

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2019 10:03 PM

^^no argument there😂😂Nash was a goddamn menace and could barely go, but he got laughs and heat which is what draws. I just fucking love Nash.

Roman is a cool beautiful-looking strong guy and seems so professional & nice IRL, but fact is he just doesn’t have that no-fucks-given charisma and sense of humor that all the best legendary wrestling Top Stars need to make it (I’m thinking Edge, Rocky, SCSA, DiBiase Sr., Hot Rod, Regal). I wonder if Joe would be better off doing something more suited to his personality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2019 10:20 PM

Shame it is him and not Ronda Rousey.

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2019 10:35 PM

Ok than....well. Anyway thankfully he’s gonna be fine. Vince was probably wetting his pants over the audience reaction. That’s probably what he envisioned from day one. At best he got another Cena. Whats the word they use? Polarizing!!!!They just need to tweak his character a little for him to KEEP that type of reaction. He has potential, they just need a to start from the drawing board.

by Anonymousreply 15February 26, 2019 5:17 AM

I know a guy in Oregon who beat it the second time around. Not a pro athlete, but in great shape and always takes really good care of himself.

He had it in his late teens, and then again in his mid 30s. Having a really positive attitude is key, along with excellent health insurance coverage.

I wish him all the best and hope to see him around for a very long time.

by Anonymousreply 16February 26, 2019 12:57 PM

Worst. Angle. Ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 3, 2019 3:12 PM

Wow Vince really wants Reigns out the gate immediately. In a way I can see where he’s coming from. If it were anyone else he’d probably tell them to take it easy and they’ll see where things go after Mania. Reigns however has gone from polarizing to absolutely beloved and Vince desperately wants to keep the momentum going. This was the chance John Cena never got because Vince was just too afraid to turn him heel THAN turn him back to face which is exactly what they did with Reigns cousin, the Rock and how he became the megastar he is. Like we said Make-A-Wish and backstage politics prevented the whole Cena as a heel thing and he grew stale or in Vince lingo “polarizing to the WWE universe.” Vince has Roman where he wanted him all along and he’s going milk it like only Vince can.

by Anonymousreply 18March 5, 2019 3:44 AM

uh, duh, roids cause bad shit.

by Anonymousreply 19March 5, 2019 4:01 AM

Think he first got leukemia even before the start of his pro wrestling career. Vince would totally look the other way for HIS GUYS though as he did even before the Benoit tragedy. Scott Steiner, one of the most notorious roid abusers, was asked to get tested and he goes “I’ll get test when HHH gets tested.” Steiners career never recovered after that, not that he had much of one on his second run (and first solo run) in WWE.

by Anonymousreply 20March 5, 2019 5:27 AM

OT but I am so ashamed of my crush on scuzzy early-2010s Jon Moxley.

He’s as gross then as he is now but at least in his starving 20s he wasn’t so boring. At the start of his career out in CZW and the like, he had this crackling energy that seems spent now. WWE is a soulsucker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 7, 2019 10:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!