Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oscars 1989: Best Picture

I’m referring to the year the films were released, not the year of the ceremony.

BP was between Driving Miss Daisy, Born on the Fourth of July, and My Left Foot, with Dead Poets Society and Field of Dreams also nominated.

I submit that the race should have been between sex, lies, and videotape, Do the Right Thing, When Harry Met Sally... , and The Fabulous Baker Boys. I’d be fine with one of the films that actually was nominated to be in the mix, but not all of them.

I also would have liked James Spader, Andie MacDowell, Meg Ryan, and Jeff Bridges to be nominated. Am I crazy?

by Anonymousreply 59November 25, 2018 7:55 PM

Steel Magnolias

Do the Right Thing

When Harry Met Sally

Field of Drams

War of the Roses

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2018 1:07 AM

5. Crimes and Misdemeanors or The War of the Roses

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2018 1:09 AM

Kathleen Turner should have been nominated that year.

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2018 1:14 AM

This list of the highest rated films that year puts Do the Right Thing at the top.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2018 1:25 AM

Are the regular Oscars fans busy watching Monday Night Football?

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2018 1:34 AM

The Fabulous Baker Boys is not a film I have seen. Do dataloungers recommend it?

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2018 1:41 AM

R6, you’ve resisted Michelle Pfeiffer being slinky on a piano? She’s quite fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2018 1:44 AM

Spike Lee says with some satisfaction that no one remembers Miss Daisy but film schools teach Do The Right Thing.

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2018 1:46 AM

I remember Kim Basinger making a comment about Spike being snubbed.

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2018 1:47 AM

Awe I really liked Driving Mrs Daisy .It had a good moral message and became well known enough across the US to have resonance .We could do with a 2018 equilivent given the current worrying political and social climate in the US.

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2018 1:54 AM

Miss, not Mrs.

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2018 1:55 AM

sex, lies, and videotape remains one of my favorite movies, so no, I don't think you're crazy at all. Spader was sublime in that film.

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2018 1:56 AM

Awe I really liked Driving Mrs Daisy .It had a good moral message and became well known across the USA so had resonance .We need a 2018 equilivent given the current worrying political and social climate in the USA .

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2018 1:57 AM

R13, we heard you the first time, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2018 1:58 AM

I vote for those dead poets

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2018 1:59 AM

1989 was similar to 1999, another great year for movies that weren’t nominated.

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2018 2:20 AM

Yes OP, you're crazy

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2018 2:22 AM

I loved Henry V.

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2018 2:23 AM

Faye Dunaway should have won Best Actress for Burning Secret in my alternate universe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2018 2:24 AM

Both Bridges and Michelle are fabulous in Fabulous. It's fun.

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2018 2:25 AM

Oliver Stone won his second Best Director Oscar that year. I don’t think he deserved either one.

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2018 2:39 AM

How this film was not nominated for Best Picture or Best Actress remains a mystery to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2018 2:50 AM

Shamefully overlooked for best picture and best actress in a leading role. I danced for fuck's sake! Did Tandy dance?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2018 2:57 AM

1989 was a crappy year for the movies. No real American or foreign masterpieces were released that year. But I do have a soft spot for The War of the Roses, which is deliciously mean-spirited.

I recently decided to watch Do The Right Thing and Driving Miss Daisy for the first time. Oh boy - I had to turn the first one off after 20 minutes because I found it so annoying (it felt too self-conscious for my taste and I don't think I could stand looking at Spike Lee's ugly mug for over 2 hours). The second one was even worse, but I actually managed to hatewatch it in its entirety. What a schmaltzy piece of shit that one is.

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2018 2:57 AM

Do the Right Thing is a great picture, though. It has some of Lee's heavy handedness, but it's a powerful film. Danny Aiello's performance is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2018 3:02 AM

[quote] I also would have liked James Spader, Andie MacDowell, Meg Ryan, and Jeff Bridges to be nominated. Am I crazy?

No, just boring.

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2018 3:02 AM

I thought Malcolm X and Summer of Sam were Lee's best. Do the Right Thing is too schematic and preachy for me.

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2018 3:12 AM

There’s usually an Oscar-nominated film each year that I absolutely love, but 1989 just doesn’t have one, even though I like a lot of the films mentioned. Out of the nominees, I think “My Left Foot” was the best by far, and “Crimes and Misdemeanors,” “Henry V,” “sex lies and videotape“ should have been nominated, and there were a lot of films to fill out that fifth slot. I don’t even hate the sentimental choices that the Academy picked even if they are punchlines, so I’d be fine if “Driving Miss Daisy” still got nominated.

So just give Best Picture to the one movie from 1989 that truly endures, especially on DL. Fuck me gently with a chainsaw, the award goes to “Heathers.”

by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2018 3:14 AM

This was the year of She-Devil. This thread is triggering me.

by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2018 3:17 AM

I'm so upset I forgot to sign r29.

by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2018 3:17 AM

Fabulous Baker Boys also features a very funny performance from Jennifer Tilly.

by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2018 3:18 AM

Fabulous Baker Boys, all the way -

Michelle has never been 'Slinky-er"; and Jeff Bridges was a Dreamy Bad Boy who didn't want to be 'rescued.' (Or did he?)

by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2018 3:22 AM

Michelle Pfeiffer in Fabulous Baker Boys is the type of Oscar-nominated performance that is a brilliant performance but also a star performance, kind of like Julia Roberts a year later in Pretty Woman. But Pfeiffer's is far superior. She's just so good in the role, so beautiful, but completely captivating and charismatic.

by Anonymousreply 33October 23, 2018 3:44 AM

Jeff Bridges is so good in that too, but it's not a showy heroic role that will snag an Oscar. Steve Kloves only directed one other movie (that tanked) then switched solely to screenwriting.

by Anonymousreply 34October 23, 2018 3:47 AM

Kloves adapted all but one of the Harry Potter books to screen, so I don’t think we need to have too much pity for him.

And R33, the amazing thing about Pfeiffer is that she was the critical favorite that year. She basically had a clean sweep of the top critics, then lost to Jessica Tandy. Pfeiffer is amazing and I can’t really complain about Tandy having an Oscar, but I can’t see a young, hot star sweeping the critics then losing to an elderly woman in 2018.

by Anonymousreply 35October 23, 2018 4:19 AM

The thing about Pfeiffer in Baker Boys is that I'm sure the character of Suzie is fine on paper, but it's really the case of an actor completely transforming the role and adding that something special onscreen that you can't find in the script.

And her chemistry with Bridges is electric.

by Anonymousreply 36October 23, 2018 4:24 AM

I wasn't feeling pity for Kloves, just curious why he didn't direct more.

by Anonymousreply 37October 23, 2018 4:33 AM

R27 , agree there. Lee's best film is Malcom X, with 25th Hour being a very close 2nd.

by Anonymousreply 38October 23, 2018 4:44 AM

Lee sure got screwed over with Malcolm X: only 2 Oscar nominations. It's such an amazing story and beautifully made. I'd watch it again over Unforgiven in a minute.

by Anonymousreply 39October 23, 2018 4:48 AM

Heathers was clearly the best movie released in 1989.

by Anonymousreply 40October 23, 2018 4:50 AM

"I can't see a young, hot star sweeping the critics then losing to an elderly woman"

Gaga could stlll lose to Glenn, although she's not so young and hot.

by Anonymousreply 41October 23, 2018 5:04 AM

I lost to this ancient crone in 2003.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 23, 2018 5:13 AM

When Harry Met Sally was criminally overlooked. It is easily the best romantic comedy since Annie Hall. Well written, well acted, great soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 43October 24, 2018 1:15 AM

Pfeiffer has the unusual distinction of winning all the critics awards that year (there were only four basically that people paid attention to.)

Yet she lost to Jessica Tandy. The odd thing was the narrative was Tandy FINALLY gets her Oscar. Actually she never had much of a film career or gave an Oscar caliber performance prior to this. (The Birds I guess was the closest thing.)

If they had just waited awarded Pfeiffer this year they could have given it to Tandy 2 years later for Fried Green Tomatoes instead of the odd flash in the pan of Mercedes Ruehl.

by Anonymousreply 44October 28, 2018 11:13 PM

Glory was my favorite that year.

by Anonymousreply 45October 28, 2018 11:20 PM

R41 I think R35 was referring to the top two critics awards -- New York Film Critics Circle and Los Angeles Film Critics Association. I doubt that Gaga will win there or even be nominated. They usually don't go for popular fare.

by Anonymousreply 46November 23, 2018 12:18 PM

Green Book is this year’s Driving Miss Daisy. If it wins, people will start cringing by summer.

by Anonymousreply 47November 23, 2018 1:19 PM

r47 it really is but in today's woke age, I have a feeling Green Book is going to get some backlash before the Oscars. There's already criticism that it's a white man's view of a black man's life.

by Anonymousreply 48November 25, 2018 7:24 AM

Boy, those nominations. That’s an awful lot of treacle.

by Anonymousreply 49November 25, 2018 8:06 AM

R37, I interviewed the late Michael Ballhaus once and asked him about the stunning cinematography on Baker Boys - he said he basically directed the film. He was nice about it, such a gentleman, very humble and generous to Kloves. He said that was the one that he pretty much directed.

It was probably well known in the biz which is why Kloves only directed one other time.

I love Baker Boys - it’s my go-to holiday film so I’ve seen it a lot. There’s a lot to love about it. I thought Beau Bridges deserved a BSA nomination as well, he picked up a few critics awards too. But Pfeiffer swept the lot of awards - kind of classy that you’ve never heard her moan about the loss either. Be Kind Rewind needs to do a video on this.

Baker Boys was seen as this downbeat film, especially in the context of all sentimental films that did get nominated. I don’t think it was a huge hit either but it’s a terrific film.

by Anonymousreply 50November 25, 2018 8:20 AM

R50, that’s very interesting. I hadn’t heard that before about the cinematographer’s contribution. It may be my all-time favorite movie.

by Anonymousreply 51November 25, 2018 12:27 PM

1. Heathers

2. Dead Poets Society

3. Men on Film commentary on "Little Spikey Lee"

by Anonymousreply 52November 25, 2018 12:34 PM

[quote]I thought Beau Bridges deserved a BSA nomination as well,

Why was he considered supporting when he was co-lead with Bridges? The story was about the brothers. Jeff's romance was a subplot. In fact, Pfeiffer was more supporting than Beau. She arrives later in the film and then has stretches when she's absent. In fact, we only see her on screen when she's with the brothers, particularly Jeff.

by Anonymousreply 53November 25, 2018 12:50 PM

[quote]Green Book is this year’s Driving Miss Daisy. If it wins, people will start cringing by summer.

Nah, any movie that wins now will be long forgotten and on HBO by then. The winner and nominees are usually on Home Video by Oscar week. In Daisy's day it was the end of pictures playing sometimes a year in theaters and coming back as an Oscar winner. Movies had lives.

by Anonymousreply 54November 25, 2018 1:04 PM

Golden Globes...

Drama... Winner Born on the Fourth of July, Dead Poets Society, Glory, Crimes and Misdemeanors, & Do the Right Thing

Comedy/Musical Winner Driving Miss Daisy, The Little Mermaid, When Harry Met Sally..., Shirley Valentine, & The War of the Roses

by Anonymousreply 55November 25, 2018 1:11 PM

r53 I think Pfeiffer being Lead was pretty much because the "Makin' Whoopee" number and the performance itself brought her to a whole other level of stardom, pretty much A-list. I know she had worked for over a decade up to that film, but that really is a star-making performance. There was so much buzz about it and she was riding on the buzz of her three strong performances from 1988 (Married to the Mob, Tequila Sunrise and her Oscar nomination for Dangerous Liaisons).

As good as both Bridges were in that movie, Pfeiffer was a scene-stealer and she just brought that star quality that makes it such a great film (although all three are fantastic).

by Anonymousreply 56November 25, 2018 5:45 PM

Amazing in the year if DO THE RIGHT THING that DRIVING MISS DAISY won.

by Anonymousreply 57November 25, 2018 5:59 PM

R53 Because Jeff Bridges and Michelle Pfeiffer were considered movie stars, and Beau merely a utility player. Had they pushed him for lead, he would not have gotten the nomination.

by Anonymousreply 58November 25, 2018 7:54 PM

DO THE RIGHT THING sucked.

by Anonymousreply 59November 25, 2018 7:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!