Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm having a gastric balloon procedure next week

Anyone have any gastric balloon stories? There is still time for me to back out.

by Anonymousreply 32October 24, 2018 2:27 PM

Are you willing to try a vegan diet before taking that drastic step?

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2018 10:21 PM

I've not had any procedure, but work in the medical field and I've heard many horror stories. The two people I know personally who've had it have been hospitalized with sepsis more than twice since the surgery due to ruptures. One person I know of can no longer eat and has a permanent feeding tube and almost died. There are many risks, ones they may not tell you about. If you can lose weight any other way, I would try that.

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2018 10:22 PM

What is sepsis?

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2018 10:25 PM

R3, It's septic shock, a your body responding to a massive infection that goes to your blood. It can kill you.

by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2018 10:27 PM

My Gawd!

by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2018 10:31 PM

My frau friend got it and she flew to Guam due to the ballon

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2018 10:33 PM

I know that this might sound like an insane idea, but why not stick to a healthy diet and exercise instead of a surgical procedure?

Getting a gastric balloon to lose weight is a bit like having your hands amputated to quit smoking. Are you addicted to food? Have you exhausted all other methods to lose weight?

I realize that I might sound judgemental, but I don’t like surgeries and I would do anything to avoid them.

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2018 10:47 PM

Why would you choose the gastric balloon over methods with much better success rates & less potential of side effects. Example the Gastric Sleeve.

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2018 10:50 PM

R7 I have friends who are doctors they all say if you should avoid any surgery if possible unless it is the only option left.

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2018 10:52 PM

"Getting a gastric balloon to lose weight is a bit like having your hands amputated to quit smoking"

That's a brilliant simile, R7!

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2018 10:53 PM

I had a gastric balloon inserted into my scrotum. And then I died.

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2018 11:15 PM

My sister had a gastric band fitted and while I'm not sure any of us were prepared for the major changes involved in her lifestyle (throwing up after meals on a regular basis, having to cut out food such as bread, rice, pasta etc, getting the majority of her nutrition in liquid form), the weight loss has been dramatic and life-changing.

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2018 11:22 PM

Pig!

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2018 12:07 AM

My friend got the gastric band as a 40 year old and proceeded to stretch out her stomach again. It was a completely useless procedure.

After she got control of her eating, she lost the weight. The band never did anything beneficial, just the usual side effects already discussed.

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2018 12:24 AM

Some people on this thread don't seem to know what a gastric balloon is...

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2018 12:55 AM

I don't know what a gastric balloon is, r15. A FB frau I went to HS with had a gastric sleeve. She lost a dramatic amount of weight - in her face, neck, chest, arms and torso but her lower half is still enormous. No joke, her ass and upper thighs are about three feet wide. She's shaped like a giant Hershey's kiss.

OP, if you are morbidly obese, have exhausted every other option, including intensive therapy, and the surgery is the only chance to possibly prolong your life, go for it.

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2018 4:30 PM

R16 made me laugh out loud. !

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2018 6:43 PM

Now, I want a Hershey's Kiss.

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2018 6:51 PM

Go to a therapist. Get your eating under control, find out why you are addicted to food. Cut out the carbs. They are like heroin to some people and are the culprit in all weight issues.

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2018 6:55 PM

Good luck, fattie.

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2018 6:56 PM

^

This is the shit that is so creepy on this board.

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2018 6:57 PM

Make sure and see FIVE WEEKS IN A GASTRIC BALLOON while you can. And, oh---can I have all your food?

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2018 6:57 PM

Enjoy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2018 6:58 PM

Eat as if you already had the surgery. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2018 7:04 PM

R24 is right. Also, and I can't stress this enough, try intermittent fasting. Google Dr. Jason Fung. I lost a fuckton of weight doing water fasting and I was absolutely unable to lose weight prior, no matter what I did. Gastric surgery is a invasive procedure. High mortality rate. Do anything but that. Best wishes!

by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2018 7:12 PM

R16 is a Hershey shill.

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2018 7:17 PM

R25 is right- intermittent fasting is great. It is great for basically all matters (health, weight, longevity). Fung, DeLauer and a host of others can be found on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2018 7:17 PM

Try the mono diet like just eat plain baked potatoes for six weeks. Helps you to gain a "don't give a shit" attitude about food and you'll stop eating for fun and comfort.

by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2018 7:19 PM

Musical interlude

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2018 7:20 PM

If the OP is insulin resistant, and my take the OP may very well be, the WORST thing to eat is anything with starches/carbs. That can plant you right into type 2 diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2018 7:22 PM

R29 thanks for the laugh and memories!. Back in the 80's my next door neighbor did clown drag and had a clever number rigged up to this song!

by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2018 7:30 PM

OP, does the hospital where you are having the surgery offer pre- and post-op cognitive behavioral therapy? Your overeating is a psychological issue.

by Anonymousreply 32October 24, 2018 2:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!