Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Carrie Snodgress

A talented and underrated actress, I love Diary of a Mad Housewife and The Attic.

Discuss

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 19, 2018 5:47 AM

FRom what I heard , talented, but VERY full of herself, lived with Neil Young, abandoned her career, then was attempting a comeback when she was offered Rocky. She wanted so much money and wouldnt budge on her fee that Stallone finally gave up (he really wanted her) and cast Talia Shire. She appeared in The Fury and a Clint Eastwood movie, but she was known as "difficult" and the rest of her films were either non commercial or 2nd tier. She died waiting for a liver transplant if I remember right.

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2018 3:32 PM

Fantastic speaking voice

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2018 3:42 PM

R1 Wow, I've never thought she was a difficult or full of herself actress!

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2018 4:12 PM

I was first introduced to Carrie Snodgress through the 1980s television movie, 'Nadia', about the life of the Olympic Gymnast. I taped it off of tv and watched it non-stop for years (or so it seemed). Carrie played the role of Nadia's mother (Jonathon Banks played her father), and thinking how old she looked, though she was probably only in her late '30s/early 40s at the time. When my mom saw her in the movie she gave me the 'backstory', 'Housewife', Neil Young, child with special needs, etc. She had a lot of promise as an actor, but after 'Housewife', that was pretty much it. She did primarily minor films and tv with minor roles for the rest of her life. She died young.

by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2018 4:23 PM

A 2010 thread here ( [bold]was carrie snodgress a boozebag? [bold] ) includes:

[quote]She had pretty severe substance issues - that's part of why she and Neil Young split up.

Addictions can make for poor life choices — but on the other hand, Stallone was a C list actor at the time of ROCKY, he’d never written anything before, and they were only paying $360 a week or something. So, it’s not like she was walking away from anything substantial. And she did so to take a better paying job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2018 4:45 PM

Rare interview of Carrie Snodgress

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2018 4:48 PM

I don't understand why Diary isn't available on DVD or streaming (not counting uploads of VHS copies on YouTube).

Come to think of it, other Frank Perry films from that era - Last Summer, Play It As It Lays, Man On A Swing- aren't either.

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2018 5:44 PM

To me she'll always be Ruby from "Wild Things".

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2018 5:46 PM

I'll always remember her trying to kill Angela Lansbury with a metal pipe on Murder She Wrote.

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2018 5:54 PM

I liked her. She did seem, however, to go a bit overboard when canapés were mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2018 5:58 PM

Later interview.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2018 6:02 PM

I remember someone once asked her if Snodgress was her real name. She replied Snodgress was a name you change from, not change to.

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2018 6:07 PM

Her later interview, sadly, made me think of Evie Harris.

by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2018 6:52 PM

R11 Was she drunk during this interview?!

by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2018 7:02 PM

a little drunk?

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2018 7:03 PM

The Attic was fucking amazing and, like, 2 people have seen it. She was brilliant in that.

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2018 9:12 PM

DOAMH was excellent but so fucking depressing......i wanted to smother richard benjamin in that movie.....and those 2 little girls.....oy. frank langella was at his most pretty then but what a horrible man he played.....

i got the dvd of it off of ebay. it was watchable but it would have been nice if the seller would have mentioned it was copied off of TV for crissakes......

i believe neil wrote A man needs a Maid about carrie.......

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2018 7:10 AM

She never had a chance with that last name...

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2018 7:17 AM

R11 is anyone getting a bit of a KIM RICHARDS vibe from her, there?

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2018 7:28 AM

Used to get her mixed up with Liz Ashley.

by Anonymousreply 20November 19, 2018 3:58 AM

I can see that. Snodgress was a better actress, though, while Ashley was more attractive. Or was at least groomed to appear so.

They both had nice, low, croaky voices.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2018 4:20 AM

[quote]The Attic was fucking amazing and, like, 2 people have seen it. She was brilliant in that.

Well at least we're both here on Datalounge. Let's talk about it!

by Anonymousreply 22November 19, 2018 4:51 AM

I, too, love The Attic. What an odd, deeply sad movie that was. I'll never forget that ending for as long as I live. So haunting.

by Anonymousreply 23November 19, 2018 5:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!