Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

European Royals - Dish and Discuss Everything Except the British Royal Family

Have at It!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600December 10, 2018 4:53 PM

Not everybody at once...

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2018 1:23 PM

Carl Philip is one of the most beautiful men in the world

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2018 1:30 PM

Thanks to the poster who suggested this thread.

So - to our muttons, as they say.

King Harald, like his counterpart in Sweden, King Carl Gustav, indulged his appetite for philandering quite freely and at one point in time, his distressed Queen, Sonya (also a commoner) actually considered divorce (it is alleged). Queen Silvia of Sweden (also a commoner, the former Silvia Sommerlath), however, put up with it stoically because she loves her jewels too much, and her life as Queen. to put up much of a fight.

Ditto former King Juan Carlos of Spain - his consort, the former Princess Sophia of Greece, however, is very devout and would never consider divorce.

Then all these former Henry VIII wannabees got old, and their male Heirs seem to be somewhat better behaved.

Really, Charles returning to the arms of his long-time love in the midst of a dismal marriage seems quite tame by comparison.

Victoria seems happy with non-entity of a husband; Mary and Frederik are doing tolerably well, although I doubt he's been wholly faithful, but she also loves her life and position and would never give it up; Willem and Maxima seem happy . . .

Anyone with any other tea, feel welcome to spill!

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2018 1:30 PM

Juan Carlos is a philanderer. He and Sophia keep separate bedrooms (as does that German woman and her Greek prince). The Belgians have a prince like that German woman's younger son. Laurent has been linked to corruption. Frederick and Mary have had rocky patches in their marriage. Haakon and Mette-Marit are truly in love. The Greeks a a whole were cash strapped until the pretended crown prince married the Duty-Free heiress, whose father has had numerous affairs with men.

Le Comte de Paris is a devout Catholic.

Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna of Russia is vulgar.

Princess TnT was married to a man chasing philanderer.

by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2018 1:39 PM

Didn’t we do a non-Brit royals a couple of weeks ago?

by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2018 1:39 PM

Yes, R5, and it is still going. The OP of this post didn't bother to check.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2018 1:51 PM

Eh R6. I'm not OP but I care way more about hot royal men then royal women. So I appreciate this thread. I may be the exception on DL in that

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2018 1:53 PM

R3 I've never heard anything about King Harald cheating on Queen Sonja, however, their marriage did hit a rough patch in the 1980s but according to Sonja it had to do with the burden of trying to raise their kids while taking on increased royal duties due to Harald's ailing father. Their son's, Haakon, marriage has been rocky for years and it's pretty well known that his wife Mette-Marit had at least one affair a few years ago. They have separated more than once, but I don't think it's likely they'll ever divorce. Haakon fought so hard to marry her, I doubt he wants a "we told you so" thing to happen.

There is a whole thread about Mary and Frederik somewhere on DL but basically it's known their marriage is largely a show marriage now. Mary will never give up her titles or lifestyle no matter what Fred does. The twins were born by IVF in an effort to both save the marriage and hush questions about the state of their marriage in the press. Fred has a drinking/drug problem, has screwed around on Mary a great deal and allegedly has a son with his former girlfriend Katja Storkholm. Katja is the Danish equivalent to Camilla who is basically the woman Frederik wanted and should have married.

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2018 3:05 PM

[quote]Yes, [R5], and it is still going. The OP of this post didn't bother to check.

That thread is about royal women. If you had bothered to open it.

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2018 3:59 PM

I don't think Victoria 's husband is a non-entity. She fought to marry him. He seems like a very decent person. I believe he has some health issues, he was looking sickly a couple years ago.

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2018 5:32 PM

R10 - I know she fought to marry him, I don't think her father was at all pleased, and both parents clearly think the younger daughter's husband was the more desirable partie, as the French say. But in public, he is a nonentity, he has kept a profile so low he might as well be invisible. I agree he seems like a decent person, and as she's the heir to the throne, perhaps he's the low-drama counterpart to someone like Kate Middleton, being there mostly to support a future Sovereign.

R8 - I can well believe Frederik has been routinely unfaithful to Mary, and the heat tends to die out of most marriages within five years, but I doubt highly that he stopped fucking her so completely that they had to have the third pregnancy by IVF. Mary was well under 35 when she got pregnant the first time, right on schedule six months after the wedding, and then got pregnant again two years later, again right on schedule.

Twins do occur in nature, you know, and as a woman who already had two natural pregnancies behind her, falling pregnant with twins on her third round wouldn't have been at all remarkable. And, I believe there are twins in her family - it tends to skip generations. So the IVF stuff in my opinion is vicious made-up crap with no reliable source at all. Mary had no trouble getting pregnant, and I doubt their sex life was as over as all that by that point. "Dear, perhaps we should have a third, what do you think?" "Oh, hell, Mares, why not? Lock the door."

They seem quite friendly together, like a couple of old shoes, as they say. I don't think this is a "marriage is over" in the sense Charles and Diana's was at all.

Yes, Harald, like Juan Carlos and Carl Gustav, seems to have indulged himself when it suited him. I really doubt Sonja would have considered a divorce just because it was hard to raise the children whilst performing extra royal duties. Queens don't divorce Kings for that - it was probably cover for the real reason.

Mette-Marit, I have to say, when she married Haakon, looked like a man in drag, despite the platinum hair. She's put on quite a bit of weight, so the effect is lessened, but I found her rather suspiciously masculine in aspect at the time of the wedding.

The son she had out of wedlock is quite grown now, and absolutely stunning. I believe Haakon has been a quite decent stepfather to him.

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2018 6:09 PM

R11 I agree that Mary and Frederik are not at the Charles and Diana level, from what has leaked into the Danish press and tabloids over the years is that Mary and Fred lead somewhat separate lives. Fredrik is often seen out partying and Mary is usually with the kids. There was also serious rumours that Mary had a fling with former MP Christian Friis Bach a number of years ago. I tend to believe that Mary had the twins with the help of IVF. Interesting the night before the twin's Christening, Frederik was picture out clubbing getting very close with a young, blonde woman at the bar.

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2018 6:16 PM

Anyone heard any dish on King Philippe of Belgium? He and his wife Mathilde have four children and seem pretty solid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2018 6:24 PM

R13 There are have been rumours about Philippe being gay for years and this marriage to Mathlide was an arrangement. There is even one ridiculous rumour that he is a closeted M to F transexual and had his penis removed a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2018 6:26 PM

R13 - never heard a thing on the grapevine about Philippe being gay, and he and Mathilde seem very happy together; she is, by the way, one of that generation's only genuine aristocrats to marry into the top of a royal family, she comes from an old aristocratic family, and was pursuing a career as a speech therapist with an M.A. in Psychology, when they met.

"Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz was born on 20 January 1973 in Ukkel, Belgium. Mathilde is the oldest of five children. The d'Udekem d'Acoz family were of aristocratic origins; her grandfather and her uncle were barons while she and her father were a part of the untitled nobility. Mathilde grew up at the family estate, Losange Castle in Villers-la-Bonne-Eau (fr), Bastogne."

They seem to have a very placed, well-matched union, and the children are very attractive.

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2018 7:44 PM

Too many commoner marriages. Not proper royalty anymore, even the British.

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2018 8:18 PM

*A very PLACID, well matched union . . .

Which is a good thing given the sleazy antics of Philippe's younger brother.

R12 - I don't know why anyone would have started that absurd IVF rumour. She's already proven fertile, she was under 40, unless Frederik simply refused ever to fuck her again, which I doubt, why on earth would IVF have come into it?! The twins were born in 2011, Mary was 38 in 2010 when they were conceived, just one year older than Meghan Markle is today with her first.

As to Frederik's behaviour the night before the christening - he's a narcissistic pain in the arse, but that doesn't mean his wife had to use a turkey baster.

by Anonymousreply 17October 22, 2018 9:22 PM

There is this crazy woman in France who is a non royal Romanov that Putin wants to enthrone as a puppet Csarina. She has an adult son too.

by Anonymousreply 18October 22, 2018 11:48 PM

Who is the legitimate heir to the Russian throne?

by Anonymousreply 19October 22, 2018 11:58 PM

Carl Gustaf of Sweden had an affair with a former singer of Army of Lovers, Camilla Henemark ("La Camilla").

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 22, 2018 11:58 PM

R19 - Depends who you ask, there are some competing lines. But generally, the broadest support is for the great-great- granddaughter of Tsar Alexander II, Maria Vladimorovna, because she descends through the male line.

It's a hugely complicated question with no simple answer in those circles. If you google it, take a couple of Advil first.

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2018 12:48 AM

Thanks, R21.

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2018 1:50 AM

R22 - I did a bit of research and it turns out there is a Monarchist Party in Russia, only they support a Prince Nikolai as the legitimate heir - I don't know which Prince Nikolai this is or how close to the male line he is. I think Putin has been delighted to see the Orthodox Church in resurgence, for obvious reasons, but reinstating a Russian monarchy presents a more dangerous situation, even if whoever he "appoints" agrees at first to be a puppet.

by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2018 4:49 PM

R2 he is, delicious

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2018 4:54 PM

R15 I'm not saying the rumours about King Philippe are actually true, but they have been circulating around Belgium for years. Part of that likely stems from the fact that very little is known about his personal life before his engagement to Mathilde. There have been no known ex-girlfriends or other serious romantic entanglements. His engagement to Mathilde in 1999 came as a surprise to the country as it seemed to materialize out of the blue and neither has really gone into great details about their romance before they were married. I personally don't think Philippe is gay, but I do believe his marriage to Mathilde was arranged to a degree but I think it turned out to be a happy marriage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2018 7:41 PM

R25 - Well, Mary of Teck was passed on to his younger brother like refreshments when Edward, Duke of Clarence died. Mary and George were far better suited to each other and had a reasonably happy marriage, as well.

Royal marriages never had put upon them the extraordinary emotional expectations of fulfillment that most people fantasise about today. If you so much as liked and respected the other party you were ahead of the game. Love occasionally followed afterward.

I am convinced that the Queen Mother fell in love with Prince Albert after she married him, or she'd have accepted his first rather than his third proposal. And they had a very successful marriage.

Poor Diana - she spent her teens reading Barbara Cartland novels and really thought marriage to a Prince would be like that.

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2018 8:05 PM

King Philippe is a silver fox

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2018 9:31 PM

R27 = Queen Jadis of Witherspoon

by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2018 9:33 PM

The Crown Princess of Norway has been diagnose with chronic pulmonary fibrosis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 24, 2018 8:03 PM

R29, is her doctor’s name Doctor Budd?

by Anonymousreply 30October 24, 2018 8:07 PM

No cure for pulmonary fibrosis. It just gets worse and worse. That’s pretty sad...

by Anonymousreply 31October 24, 2018 8:09 PM

R29 - Oh no, that is serious and R31 is right: there is nothing they can do to reverse it. I had a friend die of that, although it took a couple of years from diagnosis. I am terribly sorry - she is still a relatively young woman with young children.

by Anonymousreply 32October 24, 2018 9:49 PM

R32 the prognosis is terrible.... maybe five years, most likely 2-3.

by Anonymousreply 33October 24, 2018 11:11 PM

OP you can overdose on all things royal at The Royal Forums.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 25, 2018 1:38 AM

Poor Mette-Marit. Some of her problems of the past few years are explained now.

by Anonymousreply 35October 25, 2018 4:36 AM

R29 - the Crown Princess of Norway wasn’t “diagnose” with anything.

She was, however, “diagnosed” with chronic pulmonary fibrosis.

Past tense - not a difficult concept.

by Anonymousreply 36October 25, 2018 5:17 AM

R36 - Oh, don't be pedantic. Most of make errors whilst typing quickly on these sites.

I wonder if they've told the three children of the seriousness of the diagnosis. I know my friend's husband, who was a doctor, knew immediately that his wife's time was going to be limited to a few years, but I believe they kept the terminal nature of it from their two sons for awhile - the boys were younger than Haakon's and Mette-Marit's two children, more like 8 and 11 if I remember.

As my sainted Mum used to say, in every hand of cards life deals out, there are always a few you don't see until they fall out onto the table.

by Anonymousreply 37October 25, 2018 2:54 PM

This is so sad. Poor woman.

by Anonymousreply 38October 25, 2018 2:57 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 25, 2018 3:46 PM

A lung transplant isn't an option?

by Anonymousreply 40October 25, 2018 3:48 PM

It is an option according to the Mayo Clinic website. Progression means it's hard to catch your breath. Slowly suffocating? What a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 41October 25, 2018 4:24 PM

R40 It sounds like they just discovered it and are probably reviewing options. However, even lung transplants aren't always a solution, and a transplant does shorten your life expectancy. My uncle had a lung transplant and he only lives for three years after it.

by Anonymousreply 42October 25, 2018 4:28 PM

I want to be spit roasted by Prince Haakon of Norway and King Felipe of Spain.

by Anonymousreply 43October 25, 2018 4:35 PM

R40 They are unsure of the cause but it may be auto immune which means a transplant would not be an option.

by Anonymousreply 44October 25, 2018 5:55 PM

There was a pic of Haakon shirtless circulating one time and he had a body to die for! No pun intended, since his wife is so ill.

by Anonymousreply 45October 25, 2018 6:29 PM

R45 This one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 25, 2018 7:12 PM

^No, it's probably from 15 years ago or so, he looked really buff. though he doesn't look bad in that pic at all.

by Anonymousreply 47October 25, 2018 7:17 PM

Mette-Marit could take a page from the Queen of the Netherlands who chose to revert to a royal princess and abdicate in favor of her heir.

by Anonymousreply 48October 25, 2018 8:26 PM

[quote] Mette-Marit could take a page from the Queen of the Netherlands who chose to revert to a royal princess and abdicate in favor of her heir.

Why?

by Anonymousreply 49October 25, 2018 8:28 PM

R48, her husband is the heir, what are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 50October 25, 2018 8:32 PM

[quote]Who is the legitimate heir to the Russian throne?

[quote]Depends who you ask, there are some competing lines. But generally, the broadest support is for the great-great-granddaughter of Tsar Alexander II, Maria Vladimorovna, because she descends through the male line.

The Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna IS Ginny from Billing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 25, 2018 8:34 PM

r50, sorry. It was the use of Crown-Princess that got me. She would be a princess consort.

by Anonymousreply 52October 25, 2018 8:36 PM

R48 -Que??!! Mette-Marit can't abdicate from anything, she isn't in line to inherit anything. She's the future Queen Consort of Norway, not the future Queen Regnant. It's her daughter, Princess Ingrid Alexandra, who is the next in line after her father, Crown Prince Haakon. to the throne of Norway. The only abdication that would change anything, is Haakon's father, King Olav, abdicating in favour of Haakon.

I don't know what state of health Olak is in, but unless he pegs out quite suddenly, it is now unlikely that Mette-Marit will live to become Queen.

Whilst very sad, it mus also be said that Mette-Marit's unexpectedly early death will transform Haakon back into one of Europe's most eligible men. He wouldn't be much short of 50, which is still young, and if his father hasn't pegged out by then, still a future King.

I can just hear Meghan Markle planning her divorce to coincide with the end of what is euphemistically called "a decent interval" and heading off to Oslo at speed.

by Anonymousreply 53October 26, 2018 12:51 AM

R53, meet R51.

by Anonymousreply 54October 26, 2018 1:01 AM

R53, meet R50.

by Anonymousreply 55October 26, 2018 1:01 AM

r55, meet r54.

by Anonymousreply 56October 26, 2018 1:03 AM

The current King of Norway is named Harald, I think. Olav was a former King. He is also rather elderly at this point, it won't be long before Haakon is monarch. Will Mette-Merit live to be Queen?

by Anonymousreply 57October 26, 2018 1:10 AM

R57 - oh god yes, you are right. I never do get the Norwegians right.

I don't know what the poster upthread is on about when he says Mette-Marit would be "Princess Consort". She's nothing of the kind: she is Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway by virtue of being married to Crown Prince Haakon of Norway; just as Mary Donaldson became Crown Princess of Denmark by virtue of her marriage to Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark. Both women's next step is Queen Consort.

Every time I see the name "Harald" spelt that way all I can think of the villainous Harald Petersen from the novel, "The Group". Which is a terrific read, by the way: bitchy ain't the half of it.

by Anonymousreply 58October 26, 2018 1:15 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 27, 2018 1:06 AM

Bring back the Greek royal family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 27, 2018 5:53 AM

Could one of you royalty experts explain something to me? I am re-reading some Tolstoy novels right now. In 19th century Russian novels, there are dozens and dozens of princes and princesses. Why are there so many? How do they acquire their titles?

by Anonymousreply 61October 28, 2018 2:10 AM

Good question r61. Apparently Prince and Princess titles were bestowed by the Tsars to their wealthy supporters and landowners, rather than function as a hereditary rank/title inherited when born into the Royal family.

The daughters of the later Tsars, for example, were titled "Grand Duchess" and addressed as "your Imperial Highness" or IH.

Wikipedia has a decent explanation - see the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 28, 2018 2:18 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 28, 2018 3:22 PM

R61 There's also the noble title Prince, usually addressed as Serene Highness, Highness, or Excellency.

Most were previously sovereign princes within the Holy Roman Empire, and the titles were still recognised inside the successor states of Germany and Italy, although a few were creations of other monarchies or by the Pope. They ranked below royal princes, but above dukes. They're not recognised by those countries anymore though, although some of the princes still use them (such as Prince Ernst of Hanover).

by Anonymousreply 64October 28, 2018 4:09 PM

R63, I would gladly read for Prince Carl Philip, if he needed assistance. I would be happy to wait on him, hand and foot (and on my knees, too).

by Anonymousreply 65October 28, 2018 4:32 PM

Pity countries like Rumania and Bulgaria don't have their royalty. It would bring in tourist . dollars. Same with Italy and Greece.

by Anonymousreply 66October 28, 2018 4:56 PM

There are some hot bathing photos of Sweden's Prince Carl Phillip floating around the Net.

by Anonymousreply 67October 28, 2018 4:58 PM

R66 - Well, you know what Queen Mary's famed response was when Edward told her he was prepared to abdicate to marry Wallis Simpson: "Really! This might be Romania!"

by Anonymousreply 68October 28, 2018 5:01 PM

Not really dishing anything, but the Norwegian royals are very gay friendly. Here is our king giving a speech about love and acceptance. And yes, he mentioned gays and lesbians. You should watch, it's subtitled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 28, 2018 5:13 PM

Felipe was the first European monarch to give an interview to and appear on the cover of a gay publication. Unfortunately, he didn't present the hole...

by Anonymousreply 70October 28, 2018 5:22 PM

r70, in DL formatting, when using the phrase "present hole" nothing is capitalized.

However, when addressing Royal Hole, your use of the definitive article is correct but both article and noun need be capitalized.

Unfortunately, he did not (contractions are vulgar) present The Hole.

You are welcome.

by Anonymousreply 71October 28, 2018 5:30 PM

Shouldn't that be [italic]our[/italic] hole?

by Anonymousreply 72October 28, 2018 5:34 PM

R69, Norway guy, it's good to see you back! I was afraid you had left us for good because of all the Kavanaugh threads!

by Anonymousreply 73October 28, 2018 5:51 PM

When a Royal is referencing their hole, only a Sovereign may use the Royal we.

Betty: Our Hole

Phil: The Hole

by Anonymousreply 74October 28, 2018 5:52 PM

I think King Felipe of Spain is far dishier than his father Juan Carlos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 28, 2018 6:31 PM

I imagine The Hole to be somewhat hairy and sumptuous!

by Anonymousreply 76October 28, 2018 6:55 PM

r76, agreed.

by Anonymousreply 77October 28, 2018 6:59 PM

Felipe .... nom nom nom ...

by Anonymousreply 78October 28, 2018 7:02 PM

The Greek princes are hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 28, 2018 7:33 PM

Prince Nikolai of Denmark is a model.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 28, 2018 7:56 PM

Nikolai's younger brother Felix will be handsome when he grows up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 28, 2018 7:57 PM

I like Mary but she wouldn't have looked at Frederick twice were he not a Prince. There's film of them parading past the crowd en route to entering the church for the Princess Madeleine/Chris O'Neil wedding. She has faultless posture, is very aware, makes eye contact in the crowd. Does an excellent job - she is "on" but in a very professional way - alert to her surroundings, knows what's expected, delivers it. He is a nonentity who smiles insipidly. He ain't that cute, either. I hope she's got some side action going - apparently she does a good job in her position, she's reproduced, she's a good royal, and IMO how can she be expected to tolerate that (him) for a romantic life forever.

by Anonymousreply 82October 28, 2018 11:33 PM

One thing though - Carl Phillip is just extraordinarily short. I don't think he's much taller than his mother, even when she's in heels. His sisters are taller than he is. Princess Madeleine's husband is short, too, but he's got kind of a heavy set Germanic build where his chest is broad and his legs are short, and it doesn't hurt the overall masculine impact. Carl Phillip is just kind of a mini-pince.

by Anonymousreply 83October 28, 2018 11:35 PM

I've been watching youtube videos about the Swedish royal family and they are all very affectionate with their children. They are much less formal than the BRF, even William and Kate.

Also, it's REALLY interesting to compare CP Frederick's wedding to Mary to Harry and Meghan 's. The procession is on youtube. Mary's gown, all heavy satin, perfect fit, massive train. Flawless and impressive. In another video, she gave a ten minute speech in Danish on the occasion of Fred's 50th birthday. (It was subtitled). Not an easy language to learn.

by Anonymousreply 84October 29, 2018 12:37 AM

R84 - You have to remember Frederik is going to be King one day, so his wedding to Mary Donaldson was a huge deal. I've seen the entire wedding on DVD, and I have to say that for class, grandeur that still provided intimacy, gorgeous music, and flawless presentation, I think it's the best of the crop of that generation. Queen Margrethe, who is extremely artistic, was said to have provided a good deal of input. As an Australian who was not yet fluent in Danish, this was probably less onerous for this bride than it might have been for other brides. The Palestrina sicut cervus, for example, is a tradition at Danish royal weddings, and was played at Margrethe's and Benedikte's weddings, as well as at Joachim's and Alexandra's. Nothing at the Sussex wedding had this unmistakable stamp of no expense spared to make it exactly right.

The Danish monarchy is the oldest in Europe, and their traditions are very strong - where they go at different times of year, appearances on the balcony at Amalienborg Palace, receptions for foreign diplomats at New Year's - the kinds of traditions that are disappearing from the BRF and will probably fade entirely after the Queen, and then Charles, die.

by Anonymousreply 85October 29, 2018 2:42 AM

They had me at Zadok the Priest. What an entrance.

by Anonymousreply 86October 29, 2018 2:11 PM

R86 - "They had me at Zadok the Priest. What an entrance." No kidding, and the BRF was slightly pissed off because that is a traditional anthem at British coronations since it was composed in the last 18th century for the coronation of George II - it has been sung prior to the anointing of the sovereign at the coronation of every British monarch since then and is viewed as something of a British patriotic anthem. So its selection was a major announcement to all and sundry that they were looking at a future Queen of Denmark coming down the aisle.

But the rest of the music, including that very delicate, exquisite piece sung by the children's choir, with the trumpet solo, was beautiful, I heard nothing like it at any of the other royal weddings, which all seem to run to boring standards like the Ave Maria and the Hallelujah Chorus.

The first hymn sung, by the way, the Navy hymn, was sung at Mary's mother's funeral which is why she started to cry softly and her father looked a bit grim as it was played.

Full disclosure: I've seen the entire wedding because it is available on DVD - as is, by the way, the Dutch and Spanish weddings, and, of course, the weddings of Diana, Kate and William, and HazBean.

For a rainy afternoon bitchfest, you have to see the parade of guests going into the banquet after the Danish wedding (that is to say, after the church service, two carriage rides out to Fredensborg, and the balcony appearances), and see what so many of the women wore.

You cannot believe how badly dressed so many of them are. I think women lose all sense of reality when invited to a royal wedding.

And clock the rocks among Queen Margrethe, Queen Sofia, and Queen Beatrix in the front rows of the church.

by Anonymousreply 87October 29, 2018 4:25 PM

Who is wealthier the Norwegian royals or the swedish royals?

by Anonymousreply 88October 29, 2018 4:59 PM

R87I doubt the British knew or cared about the use of Zadok the Priest at Mary and Fred's wedding. Indeed it was a such a non-event to the British Royals they only sent Edward and his wife.

by Anonymousreply 89October 29, 2018 5:16 PM

There is NO heir tho the Russian throne. None even remotely. That fat woman in France is аn obnoxious impostor

by Anonymousreply 90October 29, 2018 5:35 PM

R90 - There's no formally acknowledged heir, but there certainly are people who would qualify if the monarchy were restored. It's like saying there's no heir to the Greek throne, because the Greek monarchy is gone, but they're still out there, calling themselves King Constantine, Queen Anne-Marie, Crown Prince Paulos, Crown Princess Maria-Olympia, etc. Ditto the throne of France. The Pretender to the French Throne is Louis Alphonse, recognised by some members of the Capetian dynasty as Head of the House of Bourbon. He disdained his late father's Spanish ducal title, and took the title Duke of Anjou. There is a French Legitimist movement, and as far as they are concerned, there is a rightful Heir to the nonexistent French throne and he is it.

Bulgaria's ruling house was abolished in the late 1940s, but the royal family is still out there calling itself royal. In fact, they are related to the Saxe-Coburg Gothas.

You'll have to take it up with the Monarchist Party in Russia (that would be the ones supporting the mysterious Prince Nikolai) or the branch supporting Maria Vladirmorovna.

Or Vlad Putin.

by Anonymousreply 91October 29, 2018 6:23 PM

R88 - The Swedes. The Norwegians are the poorest royals in Europe.

R89 - They always send Edward and Sophie to these things. The only exception in recent memory was Charles attending Felipe and Letizia's wedding.

A nonevent? Below is the guest list just from REIGNING Dynasties:

Royalty from reigning dynasties: The King and Queen of Sweden The Crown Princess of Sweden Prince Carl Philip, Duke of Värmland Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland The Queen of Spain The Duchess and Duke of Lugo The Duchess and Duke of Palma de Mallorca The Prince of Asturias and fiancée Letizia Ortiz The Queen of the Netherlands The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima of the Netherlands Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands The King and Queen of Norway The Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Norway Princess Märtha Louise of Norway and Ari Behn The King and Queen of the Belgians The Duke and Duchess of Brabant The Archduchess and Archduke of Austria-Este Prince Laurent and Princess Claire of Belgium The Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg The Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg The Crown Prince of Japan The Hereditary Prince of Monaco The Princess and Prince of Hanover The Earl and Countess of Wessex (representing Queen Elizabeth II)

A nonevent because only the Wessexes went? I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 92October 29, 2018 6:32 PM

R92 - Just to clarify: it has been decades since the Queen, unlike the other crowned heads of Europe, appeared at any of these weddings. The presence of the Wessexes only continues the custom the Queen has set since the 1950s-whilst her mother attended several of the weddings of the 1960s (Greece and Denmark), the Queen never does. Charles has a particular friendship with Juan Carlos and attended Felipe's wedding. But it isn't a nonevent because "only" the Wessexes went. It's part of the Wessexes brief. They also represented the Queen at the spate of other royal weddings in Europe, from Sweden to Monaco. HM, unlike Margrethe, Sofia, Beatrix, Silvia, etc., just doesn't do that.

Queen Margrethe, however, turned up for William and Kate's wedding.

by Anonymousreply 93October 29, 2018 6:37 PM

R89 - last post on this, cross my heart: my guess is that with Harry is married, he and Meghan will now be the ones standing in for HM at these weddings, taking over for the Wessexes - that is, such as are left in this generation which I don't think are many. It will taken ten years before the Dutch, Norwegian, and Belgian springs are heading down the aisle.

by Anonymousreply 94October 29, 2018 6:39 PM

R94 - I don't know about that. Edward and Sophie are closer to the European royals than Harry and Meghan. Harry and Meghan are too casual. My guess is the practice of sending the more professional Wessex couple will stand for now.

by Anonymousreply 95October 29, 2018 6:42 PM

There is something of a de facto tradition the the British Monarch does not attend foreign weddings or funeral. Since becoming Queen, Elizabeth has only attend two foreign royal events. The first was Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands Silver Wedding in 1962 - I have no idea why Elizabeth II attended this event though pretty much every other monarch in the world attended and I believe Elizabeth was very fond of Juliana. She also attended King Baudouin of Belgium's funeral in 1993 - which I think she did so on the advice of the government and it was the middle of her summer in Balmoral so she was free to attend.

Edward and Sophie typically represent Queen Elizabeth at foreign royal events because they're close to the foreign royals and generally get a personal invite anyways - killing two birds with one stone. Charles usually attends the weddings of foreign royals he has a personal friendship with. He's attend the wedding of Prince Felipe of Spain, Prince Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands and Crown Prince Haakon of Norway. Charles also attended King Willem-Alexander's investiture ceremony as well. I believe the Dutch and British royals are fairly close; Prince Philip attended the funeral of Princess Julian in 2004 and former Queen Beatrix was also a regular visitor to Windsor and Balmoral.

by Anonymousreply 96October 29, 2018 7:26 PM

R96 - I think the Dutch and British royals are close: both the Wessexes and Charles attended Prince Haakon's wedding.

I think the relationship goes back to WWII, when Queen Juliana had to flee as the German war machine rolled in and occupied Holland, and she took refuge with the Windsors in London.

But the Queen, unlike the other Crowned Heads, just doesn't attend these things.

Factoid re Letizia and Felipe: the BRF attempted to keep the foreign dignitary guest list for William's and Kate's wedding as small as possible, so whilst Queen Sofia was invited, Felipe and Letizia were not. Letizia was furious, as this was THE social royal event of the year, and she knew Maxima and Willem were invited, and allegedly nagged her husband to nag Charles who finally caved in and gave them an invitation, although they were not on the initial list.

by Anonymousreply 97October 29, 2018 8:46 PM

I meant, the Dutch and NORWEGIAN and British royals are close . . .

R97

by Anonymousreply 98October 29, 2018 8:47 PM

Prince Frederick has quite a nice dadbod.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99October 29, 2018 9:14 PM

Eh. That's a little too portly for a "nice" dadbod.

by Anonymousreply 100October 29, 2018 10:07 PM

Haakon and Mette Merit were the only royals (outside of the Greeks) invited to Charles and Camilla's wedding due to the close familial relationship between the Brits and Norwegians (the current King's grandmother was sister of George V). I believe Haakon might have been studying in London at the time as well.

Beatrix is close to all the royals but has a special bond with QEII that the rest don't, perhaps because as was said her mother and family were sheltered in the UK during WWII. QEII supposedly had some kind of friendship with Rainer of Monaco, maybe because they both came to the throne young and within the same time period. Albert said the first phone call of condolence he received after his father's death was personally from QEII.

Margrethe and Carl Gustaf are first cousins (her mother/his father were sibs) so there's that bond. Ditto the Spaniards and Danes and exiled Greeks (Sophia and Constantine brother/sister; Anne Marie/Margrethe). Harald of Norway is first cousin of Albert of Belgium and the late GD of Luxembourg, the latter two were sibs so their sons also first cousins.

The era of strategic royal inter-marriages is over, so these family ties will weaken over time as everyone marries non-royals.

by Anonymousreply 101October 30, 2018 1:01 AM

[quote] that with Harry is married, he and Meghan will now be the ones standing in for HM at these weddings, taking over for the Wessexes

Highly unlikely.

Sophie is a favorite of the Queen and knows how to dress and behave properly.

Edward is the son of the sovereign.

Both Edward and Sophie know these people and have mixed with them for years.

Perhaps Harry may have met some, but Sparkle? Hardly.

Given that Sparkle couldn't manage a proper curtsy to the King and Queen of Tonga, she will hardly be asked to attend any of the senior European royal events.

by Anonymousreply 102October 30, 2018 3:29 AM

Well, when London Bridge is down, Charles may choose to change the focus of the RF.

This is as good as it gets for the Wessexes.

Meghan can only ascend.

by Anonymousreply 103October 30, 2018 3:45 AM

Ooops, so sorry that I replied on the European Royal thread to a BRF post.

I did not vet r102.

In atonement, I find that the Serbian Crown Prince is a bit of a sausage and his wives have all been stuffed cabbage rolls.

by Anonymousreply 104October 30, 2018 4:16 AM

I find the Serbian princes to be quite attractive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105October 30, 2018 4:29 AM

And there is that old Dowager Spanish Queen...

by Anonymousreply 106October 30, 2018 4:33 AM

Now now, R106, Felipe isn't in that picture.

by Anonymousreply 107October 30, 2018 4:34 AM

Oh yes, R102, the pregnant Meghan failed to give a curtsy you deemed appropriate so the powers that be will ban her from any royal weddings in the future.

Christ, do you even realize how fucking damaged you sound when you write shit like that?

by Anonymousreply 108October 30, 2018 7:44 PM

R97 Which foreign royals attend a British Royal wedding is basically down to each individual monarchy. Buckingham Palace sends an invite directly to the monarch and his/her consort and the decision of who will attend is left to the monarch and/or his/her advisors.

For William's wedding, invites were sent directly to each European Monarch and in the end: Queen Margarthe of Denmark attended herself, Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands sent Willem-Alexander and Maxima to represent her as the day after the wedding was her official birthday celebrations in the Netherlands, King Albert II of Belgium sent Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde, the King and Queen of Norway attended personally, King Carl XVI Gustav sent Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel (it was his birthday celebrations), The Grand Duke and Duchess of Luxembourg attended personally, and Queen Sofia of Spain represented her husband. The reason that Felipe and Letiza were invited was because weeks before the wedding, Charles was on a state visit to Spain and was surprised to learn that Felipe and Letiza hadn't been invited as personal friends given their relationship with Charles. So they got the invite.

by Anonymousreply 109October 30, 2018 8:12 PM

#fail. The real non-Windsor royal thread is below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110October 30, 2018 8:19 PM

This is an interview with Queen Margrethe. I'm always surprised how cut glass her English accent is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111October 30, 2018 9:27 PM

R211 - Margrethe is highly educated, very artistic, has designed, I think stage sets for the ballet, and in addition to her native Danish, speaks fluent French, German, and English, and can probably get by in Swedish and Norwegian due to their similarity to Danish.

Her husband was a native French speaker (he was also fluent in Vietnamese and mastered Danish fairly quickly), and her third daughter-in-law is a native French speaker. Joachim's first wife was Anglo-Chinese and she spoke English and Chinese, and mastered Danish quickly. I heard Margrethe speaking French with her husband in their engagement interviews. She is probably the most accomplished and unusual senior royal in Europe. Queen Silvia of Sweden is fluent in several languages, and my guess is that the Queen Mathilde of Belgium has had to master Flemish and French, but don't quote me on that.

Mary's wedding dress puts Markle's to shame and give's Kate's a run for its money; and frankly, the sophistication in languages, at least, at the Danish and other European courts, makes the Windsors look quite inferior by contrast.

by Anonymousreply 112October 30, 2018 10:10 PM

R111 She went to school in England and went to university in Cambridge and London.

by Anonymousreply 113October 30, 2018 10:12 PM

Buckingham Palace is certainly not going to send a representative of the Royal Family whose protocol skills are not up to snuff to such an important event.

And Sparkle's diplomatic skills are lacking or missing altogether.

To do so would be an embarrassment to the Royal Family and an insult to the hosts.

by Anonymousreply 114October 30, 2018 10:24 PM

[quote]Queen Silvia of Sweden is fluent in several languages,

Silvia was a professional interpreter before she married, in fact Carl Gustaf met her when she was working as an interpreter at the '72 Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 115October 31, 2018 1:40 AM

Oh yes, r114. You, of course, would know the decision-making process of the BRF as regards the wife of a beloved prince and be in a position to judge her "diplomatic skills."

You poor thing. Even without Meghan in the way, Prince Harry was never going to fuck you. You might as well get used to that fact.

by Anonymousreply 116October 31, 2018 2:08 AM

r116, your tone is uncalled for. Now apologize to r114, and shake hands.

by Anonymousreply 117October 31, 2018 3:59 AM

R116 - considering that Meghan went out on her last day Down Under in a dress with a transparent skirt that comes with matching "panties" so that it looks as if you're seeing the wearer's undergarments, as if she were, you know, Marilyn filming "The Seven Year Itch", and that her brassiere is completely outlined by the more opaque top (and not for the first time) . . . R114 may just know what the fuck he's talking about.

That jumped up L.A. grifter really doesn't give a fuck what the people who let her in the door think.

by Anonymousreply 118October 31, 2018 12:53 PM

R112 - I was born and grew up in Belgium so I learned French and Flemish in school. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 119October 31, 2018 3:42 PM

You people with your laughable and uncalled for hatred of Meghan Markle are truly pathetic. You must lead sad little lives if the actions of someone who has nothing to do with you can throw you into such a tizzy. For the record, this thread is about European royalty, not British, so you can take your little bleats of protest to one of the hundreds of "I hate Meghan" threads you've started elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 120October 31, 2018 4:34 PM

R120 - I think I hear the fraus on Celebitchy calling you. They miss you - Call Home.

by Anonymousreply 121October 31, 2018 4:42 PM

You're proving my case, r121. Just sad.

by Anonymousreply 122October 31, 2018 4:54 PM

R122 - The only thing sad around here is your long face and Puritanical exhortations not to say anything bad about the woman you adore. We're having a great time - because we don't take ourselves, or your idol, seriously.

You, on the other hand, take yourself and your idol incredibly seriously, and there's no room for that bullshit here on DL.

You didn't go to Divinity School, by any chance?

by Anonymousreply 123October 31, 2018 5:27 PM

Leonor, the next Queen of Spain, makes her first speech at 13 years old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124October 31, 2018 6:37 PM

There you go again, r123. Maybe you should take some time and clean the spittle off your computer screen. You sound as if you're losing it.

by Anonymousreply 125October 31, 2018 6:45 PM

R125 - Oh, piss off, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 126October 31, 2018 7:53 PM

Letizia shows too much arm for a Queen.

by Anonymousreply 127October 31, 2018 9:39 PM

R126, as eloquent as ever, I see. Sorry, Dear. Must be so frustrating to have limited language skills.

by Anonymousreply 128October 31, 2018 10:04 PM

I think The Princess of The Asturias did a better job than her Belgian counterpart The Duchess of Brabant did on her first speech. The young Elisabeth looks down at her prepared speech the whole time and then gives a sheepish smile afterwards. Leonor, possibly because her mother (former TV newscaster) trainer her, is very poised and comfortable looking and engages the crowd by looking directly at them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129October 31, 2018 10:26 PM

R128 - Have you considered vaudeville?

by Anonymousreply 130October 31, 2018 10:47 PM

Well, it's obvious you were never on the debate team, R130.

by Anonymousreply 131November 1, 2018 5:51 AM

R130 - and neither pumpkin, were you. Because if you had been, you'd have been able to come up with a couple of other arguments than puerile playground insults like "sad" for people who don't agree with your assessment of that jumped-up narcissistic grinning D-list grifter famewhore from L.A. who pulled the wool over the eyes of first Prince Harry (literally as well as figuratively, I expect) and then his benighted family.

Ms Markle is nothing if not the poster illustration of that old Latin proverb, "Aurubis tenere lupum". Look it up. (Btw, in some forms, the second word is spelt "teneo".)

Buh bye, as they say in LaCa, that bastion of culture and intellectual achievement

by Anonymousreply 132November 1, 2018 1:59 PM

r132, perhaps you should take a moment, or perhaps even a lifetime, to reflect on why someone you only know from the tabloids and the internet can have such a profound affect on your life. You are unhinged in your hatred for her (and laughable in your attempts at erudition).

Do you not have friends or family you could turn to for help?

by Anonymousreply 133November 1, 2018 2:35 PM

R133 unhinged is right. Every time they post another post about MM, they laughably prove it again. How obsessed can someone be over a person who’s basically a non-entity in their life? It’s weird. I guess that’s why I find the MM haters so... nuts. It’s not like she’s Mussolini. She’s not even bitchy enough to be Princess Margaret.

by Anonymousreply 134November 1, 2018 2:50 PM

...and apologies for derailing the thread. But I’m sure someone will fiollow with yet another unhinged MM post, using their rapier intellect to try and convince us she’s worth it!

by Anonymousreply 135November 1, 2018 2:53 PM

R129 - I think Elisabeth did fine for a young child. She seems to be more reserved than Leonor of Spain.

by Anonymousreply 136November 1, 2018 3:30 PM

If MM would be a commoner and not a royal I wouldn’ t mind if she was wearing a see trough dress . Be aware that all that clothing money is mostly provided and paid for by the taxpayer . So at least she could conduct herself as a royal and not as a d-lister and grifter extra ordinaire ! Her behaviour at Eugenie’s Wedding was beyond tacky ! She looks cheap and the clothes she weares look cheap too !

by Anonymousreply 137November 1, 2018 7:31 PM

I was following links and ended up on some woman's royalty blog. Did you know that if you send a birthday card to Kate or Princess Mary that you will get an acknowledgement card back?.sometimes it's even signed (or someone signs it) or even a completely handwritten acknowledgement. This woman sends cards out to everyone apparently.

She also reports on weddings and lists all the attendees. These are mostly European nobility most of us have never heard of but there's a shit ton of them and they are ALL Dukes and Princes. Seems like everyone has a title over there. I guess at some point they were close to royalty but it wouldve been at least a hundred years ago. It just seems weird.

by Anonymousreply 138November 1, 2018 8:24 PM

Marlene is a cunt

by Anonymousreply 139November 1, 2018 8:50 PM

r133, I heart you. You are able to say things the way they are without adding any heat to it. I wish everybody on DL was able to get their point across and still stay civil.

by Anonymousreply 140November 2, 2018 12:11 AM

Marlene is knowledgeable but a nutter who's been thrown off multiple message forums due to her high-handed haughtiness and general rudeness.

by Anonymousreply 141November 2, 2018 1:32 AM

Marlene is a sad lower middle class American who tries to bathe in the reflected glory of her royal targets. Interestingly the more remote from the throne are her correspondents, the more effusive their replies to her birthday or engagement greetings.

She’s a sad dumpy little old frau nobody whose closest link to royalty is her alleged surname - Koenig.

by Anonymousreply 142November 2, 2018 1:43 AM

Is there anything in this world funnier than a whingeing moralist - taking people to task on a fucking GOSSIP site for assuming things about people they don't KNOW?!

I'd like to think he gets the irony, but I doubt it.

R140=R133=R134.

by Anonymousreply 143November 2, 2018 2:12 AM

Hah nope. Scary that quite a few people think you’re a little bonkers, isn’t it r143?

by Anonymousreply 144November 2, 2018 2:25 AM

"Dish and Discuss Everything Except the British Royal Family"

Oh honey, some of those Romanov Grand Dukes fucked anyone with a hole, and not just low-born actresses and chorus girls!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145November 2, 2018 2:44 AM

Happy to take responsibility for R133, but not the other two.

by Anonymousreply 146November 2, 2018 3:17 AM

Back in the old USENET days Marlene was a frequent target because she’s just such a crusty bitchy cunt on alt.talk.royalty. It continued into America Online, and the various royalty message boards. She’s banned from all of them. So she made her own blog and she’s had 12 million visitors, and she’s doesn’t make any money off it.

She knows her stuff but she isn’t exactly digging up things no one else can’t find if they put the effort into it. She’s a hobbyist and thanks to her training as a librarian she’s good with the facts. She is NOT good as a writer, though. Her Queen Victoria’s Descendants book, while a good reference, is so full of spelling and grammar mistakes it makes the book seem cheap and disappointing. No one proofread it, they couldn’t have. It’s really THAT bad.

On the bright side she’s a progressive liberal and a rare devoutly religious Christian that doesn’t use it to justify hatred.

And yes, her biggest fans are the royals from the defunct Romanian and Yugoslavian thrones. In fact she’s personal friends with them. When the ugly Romanian princess got busted for running a cockfighting ring in Oregon (made the legit news outlets) she refused to comment because she’s her friend.

She infruriates me because she can be such a bitch, but I do check her blog because she is knowledgeable.

by Anonymousreply 147November 2, 2018 3:26 AM

R147 what blog is this?

by Anonymousreply 148November 2, 2018 3:36 AM

^^^ Royal Musings

by Anonymousreply 149November 2, 2018 3:40 AM

I have known Marlene for thirty years and, yes, she can be pedantic and haughty, it she’s actually a very nice woman.

by Anonymousreply 150November 2, 2018 5:23 AM

R150 She’s pedantic and haughty, but actually really nice as well?

Pedantic and haughty to the commoners, right? But if you have an HRH, even for a non-existent throne, she’s really nice?

by Anonymousreply 151November 2, 2018 6:17 AM

She doesn’t across like a cunt when you see her on live appearances. And when she blogs about her favorite baseball team or her cats she seems like a nice frau. She gets triggered when people challenge her, I actually think she has some sort of an explosive personality disorder. Despite her liberal beliefs she does seem to take a very traditional stand on certain behaviors, she’s not very charitable regarding the state of Prince Ernst August’s marriage and affairs, and was enraged at Harry’s Vegas antics years ago. NOT enraged at Harry, mind you. To her it was just boys being boys. She was enraged at the ladies involved who went to the press. She openly slut shamed them (“they are slut puppies!”) as if their job is to participate in Harry’s drunken antics and keep their mouths shut.

Marlene is #teamsparkle in case you’re wondering. Marlene was also very big fans of the Obamas, I cant fault that in her. Very inconsistent person.

by Anonymousreply 152November 2, 2018 11:48 AM

The former Queen Sofia of Spain turned 80 years old and her whole family gathered together. The only person missing is the Queen's jailed son-in-law (his wife is the one in red).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153November 2, 2018 7:32 PM

R144 -No, the only thing that scares me is that people as dumb as you vote.

by Anonymousreply 154November 3, 2018 12:29 AM

Oh, the son-in-law is actually jailed. I didn't follow his story closely. I knew he was indicted and his wife was in trouble too. But I didn't hear about the outcome.

by Anonymousreply 155November 3, 2018 1:35 AM

R154 aren’t you just a teeny bit scared that the men in white suits will take you away? You should be.

by Anonymousreply 156November 3, 2018 2:40 AM

Gad - Las Infantas are quite the ugliest women ever known to Western royalty. Natch, Western Europe entirely. King Juan Carlos passed all of his ugly traits and bad genetics right down to his poor daughters. It plays slightly better in Felipe who fortunately married a decent looking commoner with even better genetic material. My parents are Spanish and my mother used to mock Sofia, calling her "La Coneja" (rabbit-face). Many Spaniards (i.e. "subjects") believe Infanta Elena has mild mental retardation reminiscent of Habsburg-Bourbon inbreeding and the slightly-better-off Cristina is an unfortunate potato-face, both of whom got married off (as in pay the grooms) to men who only eagerly played off royalty to be crooks or hide their homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 157November 3, 2018 9:01 AM

Maybe ugly by unattainable DL standards. But looking around in my own neighborhood or office, they look like the most normal women maintaining a healthy diet. And judging by Hollywood standards I applaud them for not slicing up their faces. They may not set beauty standards, but they are certainly not ugly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158November 3, 2018 12:28 PM

The younger daughter looks Ivanka-esque in that photo

by Anonymousreply 159November 3, 2018 2:31 PM

R157 - I don't think Sofia of Spain was ugly at all (see photo below). She wasn't a classic beauty but she was attractive in her own way. Elena is homely but Cristina isn't a bad. King Felipe resembles his mother a lot and he's the best looking in the family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160November 3, 2018 4:54 PM

Which one of Felipe's daughters in R153's pic is Leonor, the crown princess?

These two gurrrrrrrls look very similar, I can't tell who's Leonor and who's Sophia.

by Anonymousreply 161November 3, 2018 6:16 PM

R181 - Leonor is in red on the left standing beside her mother Queen Letizia and Sofia is in light blue on the right beside former King Juan Carlos.

by Anonymousreply 162November 3, 2018 7:26 PM

R162, thx - and there was me thinking Leonor might be the one standing next to Juan Carlos.

by Anonymousreply 163November 3, 2018 7:29 PM

R160 - I didn't mean to suggest that Queen Sofia is ugly by referring to my mother's "La Coneja" comment (although my mother likely did. It was in her character to be jealous...). In general, I think rabbits are cute and Sofia is not unattractive at all, but the reference to the rabbity front teeth is undeniable.

I actually feel bad for Queen Sofia. She's overly religious and burdened by it. She converted from Orthodoxy to Catholicism to marry an inveterate playboy and it strikes me that she was totally naive. When she married Juan Carlos, she didn't seem to realize she was entering into a business contract and was continuously hurt by his numerous, incessant, and flagrant infidelities.

One thing that struck me about her that made me really like her (despite her overly-controlling "suegra" nature) is her reaction the 5/11 bombings of Madrid trains. She and the entire RF attended the memorial mass at the Almudena Cathedral and she (as well as Letizia) wept openly. She was also emotional and empathic with survivors' relatives who attended when she greeted and spoke with them.

by Anonymousreply 164November 3, 2018 7:48 PM

MADRID, Spain (AP) — King Carlos and Queen Sofia went row by row on Wednesday, clasping the hands of the bereaved or kissing them on the cheeks at an emotional state funeral for the 190 people killed in Spain's worst terrorist attack.

The Spanish monarch and his family joined Secretary of State Colin Powell, British Prime Minister Tony Blair, Prince Charles, French President Jacques Chirac and more than a dozen other heads of state or government in the 19th-century Almudena Cathedral.

"We have cried, and we have cried together," Cardinal Antonio Rouco Varela, clad in purple vestments, told the congregation of about 1,500.

The March 11 attacks traumatized Spain so deeply the government took the extraordinary step of holding a state funeral for people outside the royal family.

The organist played the Spanish national anthem as the royal family entered the granite Roman Catholic cathedral in Madrid's old quarter. Later, incense wafted through the air as a choir dressed in blue gowns sang mournful hymns.

The royal family sat up front during the Mass, with the Spanish government and other politicians immediately behind, including Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar and his successor, Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero. Foreign dignitaries sat on the left side of the aisle.

"Great pain has filled your lives and those of your families since that black day in which brutal terrorist violence, planned and executed with unspeakable cruelty, ended the lives of your most beloved," Rouco Varela said.

"From the very first moment — that of the anguished search and the inevitable identification of your loved ones — your pain became the pain of our dear city of Madrid, of Spain, and very quickly, of the whole world."

Before the Mass, a man in the congregation shouted, "Mr. Aznar, I hold you responsible for the death of my son!" Many Spaniards have accused Aznar of provoking the bombings by supporting the U.S.-led war in Iraq, and his party lost national elections three days after the attacks to Zapatero's Socialists.

Zapatero has pledged to withdraw the estimated 1,300 Spanish troops serving in Iraq unless the United Nations takes control of the operations. The daily El Pais reported he intends to increase Spain's 125 troops in Afghanistan to offset criticism of a withdrawal from Iraq.

Queen Sofia wiped away tears and the king held a handkerchief to his face during Wednesday's service. At one point a middle-aged woman clutching a picture of a young man curtsied before the queen, kissed her hand and wept. Another woman in the congregation broke down in sobs, heaving with grief as a male companion put his arm around her. Neither Aznar nor anyone in his government approached grieving relatives at the funeral.

As the Mass ended, members of the royal family went from row to row in the cathedral, consoling relatives of the dead. The queen struggled to hold back tears. One of her two daughters, Princess Cristina, and husband Inaki Urdangarin, cried uncontrollably as they made the same sad procession.

Spanish national television broadcast the service, along with an on-screen list of the names of the bombing victims. Crowds of several hundred people gathered on a cold, overcast day before giant-screen TVs broadcasting the funeral outside the cathedral, in a Royal Palace garden and in the Puerta del Sol — a bustling plaza where one of several makeshift memorials to the victims sprang up after the bombings.

But the March 11 rail attacks, in which Islamic extremists are the prime suspects, have dwarfed that figure. Besides the dead, more than 1,800 people were wounded when 10 bombs concealed in backpacks ripped through four commuter trains during the morning rush hour.

It was the first state funeral for people outside the royal family in the history of Spain's new democracy, restored after dictator Gen. Francisco Franco died in 1975. The last state funeral was held in 2000 for the king's mother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165November 3, 2018 8:06 PM

R156 - You really are hilarious. Yeah, they're going to come get me for thinking a d-list actress of 35 who'd only gotten one decent acting job in her entire life and was rapidly aging out of ingenue roles, and had tried and failed to turn into Gwyneth Paltrow with her absurdly written TIG blog, married Prince Harry out of pure love.

I'll save the bed next to me for you. Wait till they see the framed photo of Meghan on the table next to your bed. The whole ward will be in stitches.

by Anonymousreply 166November 4, 2018 12:53 AM

Well, R166 your nuttiness on these threads is surely indicative of your nuttiness in real life. Run from the white coats! .

by Anonymousreply 167November 4, 2018 3:15 AM

I blocked R166, she’s really something isn’t she? It seems like she’s literally angry at the recent Windsor marriage. Not just amused like everyone else here, but ANGRY. Like she’s got an important horse in the race. Anyway, back to NON-Windsor chat please.

by Anonymousreply 168November 4, 2018 3:34 AM

Can we move on from the Sugars pretending to be more than one person and derailing a thread to which they are making no contribution whatsoever?

Despite really loving playing one-line games with them.

by Anonymousreply 169November 4, 2018 9:22 PM

r147 Marlene may currently be a liberal who loves the Obamas, but 20 years ago when I read her online (Usenet/AOL) she was a staunch Republican. I think that may have had more to do with her late husband's influence, he was some kind of baseball writer and big Reagan-Bush supporter. Since she was widowed she seems to have mellowed and found her own ideals.

Back then she was very pro-Charles and Camilla, and not fond of Diana. She wasn't even very nice about her in the aftermath of her death and funeral iirc.

by Anonymousreply 170November 5, 2018 2:13 AM

She’s still not. It comes out in her replies to her blog comments. She’s not a fan of Andrew and Fergie either, and I don’t think she cares much for Prince and Princess Michael either. She’s in a perfect position to dive deeper into Marie-Christine’s interesting princely lineage, but she never does.

by Anonymousreply 171November 5, 2018 2:18 AM

Marlene was obsessed with this Canadian woman who claimed to be an illegitimate spawn of the House of Mountbatten. She really took it as her personal crusade to out this admittedly wacky woman. I doubt the current Mountbattens give a shit. It did seem to give her personal pleasure to say she visited a real Mountbatten (Iris) in Canada and she often repeats that the house was disheveled and smelled like urine.

by Anonymousreply 172November 5, 2018 2:24 AM

The former King Albert of the Belgians has to take a DNA test to see if he's the father of Delphine Boel. His wife, Italian-born Queen Paola suffered a stroke recently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173November 5, 2018 3:15 PM

Delphine Boel does resemble King Albert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174November 5, 2018 3:49 PM

Another photo of the former King and his love child Delphine Boel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175November 5, 2018 5:40 PM

I thought he had already provided DNA and that the case was settled - ? Guess not.

I believe at this point it's a fair certainty she's his daughter. Shame they had to force him to do this to admit it. Didn't one of his sons visit her publicly, to show support and show that the Royal family believes her claim?

Denying illegitimate children is so 20th century. With DNA testing it makes sense to play nice and just fess up when the time comes that claims are made.

by Anonymousreply 176November 6, 2018 1:12 AM

The Belgian royal family lives low key, and the women don’t have as much bling as their counterparts in Europe, but I suspect they have TONS of money due to the raping of The Congo that persisted into the 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 177November 6, 2018 1:23 AM

Love the natural beauty of Queen Mathilde of the Belgians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178November 6, 2018 5:38 PM

King Juan Carlos shot his brother to death during a hunting trip. An “investigation” determined that it was an accident.

by Anonymousreply 179November 11, 2018 12:45 PM

King Juan Carlos also bumped his father in succession, Francisco Franco hand picked Juan Carlos as his successor. So the former king’s father The Coont of Barcelona had much to hold against his son: fratricide and stealing his throne.

by Anonymousreply 180November 11, 2018 12:51 PM

[quote]Denying illegitimate children is so 20th century. With DNA testing it makes sense to play nice and just fess up when the time comes that claims are made.

Prince Albert of Monaco did the right thing, stepped up and gave his name to two of his three illegitimate children Jazmin Grace Grimaldi and Alexandre Coste-Grimaldi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181November 11, 2018 12:58 PM

The last Grimaldi baby was a surprise. Charlene heard about it at the eleventh hour and tried to flee back to South Africa in the eve of her wedding to The Prince. She was literally apprehended in Nice by Monaso’s secret service and sent back. This was reported in a French news outlet and not just internet chatter. A few days later at both her civil and religious weddings she looked distraught at times, and hazed/tranquilized at others. I assumed once she popped out the heir she’d be free to go, but she’s hung in there for a while now so maybe she and Prince Albert found a way to make it work. I don’t think she ever mastered French though, or endeared herself to Monaco’s small cliquey population or the Grimaldi court itself.

by Anonymousreply 182November 11, 2018 1:37 PM

Oh that wedding was a disaster. Having grown up on stories about the beautiful Princess Grace, I had no idea how Euro-trashy Monaco really was. Fat Al sweating in that white uniform, standing like a stiff as Charlene sobbed.

by Anonymousreply 183November 11, 2018 4:29 PM

You think that Prince Albert could afford liposuction at least for that day. Instead it looked like he was stuffed into a Spanx and was going to explode.

by Anonymousreply 184November 11, 2018 6:57 PM

Albert was better looking than his sisters, who inherited those coarse, rough Grimaldi features. He was the only one who got Grace’s coloring and bone structure. He didn’t have them for long.

I am sure that Prince Philippos of Greece pings. But he shuns the limelight, unlike his older brother Pavlos and his thirsty wife Marie-Chantal.

On one of the royalty forums I read that when people call her PRINCESS Marie-Chantal, she corrects them rather abruptly with, “CROWN PRINCESS Marie-Chantal.”. Does it really matter since she and Pavlos aren’t gonna become king and queen?

by Anonymousreply 185November 11, 2018 8:15 PM

Princess Caroline is paying the price for years of hard living and sun exposure but when young she was just about as beautiful as it’s possible to be.

by Anonymousreply 186November 11, 2018 8:40 PM

It seems like outdoorsy smoking royal women all get that haggy look. Ever see Princess Marina of Naples?

by Anonymousreply 187November 11, 2018 11:33 PM

Princess Marina of Naples

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188November 11, 2018 11:35 PM

Whatever happened to Caroline's hard drinking husband Ernst of Hanover? He was hospitalized for pancreatitis once and he fell ill during his son's wedding earlier in the year and has not been heard from again. He was allegedly put into an induced coma. Is he on life support somewhere or drinking himself to death on some tropical island? He turned over his properties/duties to his son around the time of his first pancreatic incident, so he doesn't have much to do

I knew about his public urination incidents, but I found this on his Wiki page. It's rather shocking.

[quote]In 2004, he was convicted of aggravated assault and causing grievous bodily harm after supposedly beating a man with a knuckleduster.[23][24]

Was a higher royal title that important to Caroline to marry this dick? I also wonder if there was any domestic violence given the alcohol and likely volatility.

by Anonymousreply 189November 11, 2018 11:52 PM

Worse, she was close friends with Ernst August’s first wife and stole him from her

by Anonymousreply 190November 12, 2018 12:02 AM

Wow, he's been at it again. In March he attended his *younger* son's wedding to a Peruvian woman, in Peru, and ended up in the hospital again after "collapsing" during the wedding festivities. Food poisoning or drunk, your choice. But again with the medically induced coma and critical condition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191November 12, 2018 7:18 PM

Caroline always did have shit taste in men. Junot was cheating on her within a year of the wedding, Casiraghi had a long time mistress and was basically a teenaged boy in a man's body, and Prince Ernst of Hanover is a total mess. All she got with him is a nice daughter and, finally, an HRH.

by Anonymousreply 192November 13, 2018 12:48 AM

Caroline's HRH title means nothing, since Germany got rid of their royals after WW1. It's basically a consolation prize because her brother runs Monaco, and therefore the family fortune.

by Anonymousreply 193November 13, 2018 12:52 AM

Caroline inherited almost all of the jewels owned by Princess Grace and also her grandmother Princess Charlotte. Some of them are quite spectacular, a fringe tiara/necklace for example, one of the finest in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 194November 13, 2018 1:39 AM

What did Albert inherit for his wife, the reigning Princess Consort of Monaco? Surely they didn't give everything to Caroline.

by Anonymousreply 195November 13, 2018 1:40 AM

We are now half way through the series. I hated Capaldi till Missy showed up.

by Anonymousreply 196November 13, 2018 1:53 AM

That is so weird as r196 popped up over here when I was posting on the Doctor Who thread.

by Anonymousreply 197November 13, 2018 1:54 AM

I have no idea why all the jewels went to Caroline, and none to Stephanie and none kept for the Princess Consort. Albert had a sapphire parure made for Charlene , and a diamond hair ornament/free-form tiara, and a stunning diamond and pearl necklace. But Princess Charlotte’s three tiaras went to Caroline, as did Grace’s beautiful ruby necklace/tiara. Albert was still relatively young when Grace died, he didn’t develop his pig reputation yet- so surely they must have thought he’d someday marry.

by Anonymousreply 198November 13, 2018 2:21 AM

Is Stephanie still strung out? I hear that she does drugs with her niece and nephews. But she keeps her kids away from the stuff.

by Anonymousreply 199November 13, 2018 4:16 PM

R198, can you point me to an article or other piece that verifies that Princess Grace left the bulk of her jewels to Caroline? How curious.

by Anonymousreply 200November 13, 2018 4:31 PM

It came up in the favorite tiara thread, the sapphire Ocean tiara that was created for Charlene was stunning. I'm not sure she's ever worn it (or worn it more than once) as a tiara but she has worn it converted to a necklace and she has worn the matching earrings.

This website says that Caroline has the use of the Monaco jewel collection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201November 13, 2018 5:00 PM

Nope R200. Wish I could, but I doubt the princely court would ever confirm or deny the dispensation of the family jewels. We’ll probably never know for sure, but the evidence points to Charlotte not passing jewels to Grace (because she was never photographed in them, and often had to be loaned tiaras), and to Grace not passing to Stephanie or Albert (because Caroline only wears them, never Stephanie or Albert’s consort)

by Anonymousreply 202November 13, 2018 5:13 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203November 14, 2018 3:50 PM

With all that bling, you'd think they could afford to get Princess Sofia some decent foundation garments.

by Anonymousreply 204November 14, 2018 4:22 PM

Queen Silvia looks like the Joker with all her bad PS.

Didn’t someone post here that Prince Carl Philip hooked up with a few guys at one point? I saw an interview of his on YouTube and while he is dishy, he is dumber than a box of air. Same thing with Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece. Nothing upstairs but empty room.

by Anonymousreply 205November 14, 2018 4:50 PM

Carl Phillip is so, SO short though. He's a pocket prince.

Mary just comes across as so much smarter than Frederick. Kind of like people thought it would be with Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, until she turned out to be a bigger idiot than he is.

Prince Madeleine seems very happy with her Euro-American finance guy husband, who is one of the few European royal spouses capable of supporting the family. Her former fiance' certainly wasn't going to be able to keep them globe hopping without help from her trust fund and access to royal connections. The in-laws look a bit terrifying though - his mum and his sisters (or half-sisters?) are all of the frozen blonde plastic surgery-d socialite stripe, but read something recently that they get on well.

by Anonymousreply 206November 14, 2018 4:55 PM

R206 - Mary also works harder than Frederik. He's always been seen as lazy and ambivalent about his "fate" - he's no Prince of Wales bringing organic farming to the Duchy of Cornwall and setting up The Prince's Trust; Frederik does about one-third to one-half the work Charles does in a year, despite them being at the same royal level (actually, that's not saying much in Europe - Charles has always done, and does more, than King Felipe or Crown Prince Haakon, too). Whatever else people may say of Mary, she has handled herself well, took on a busy schedule from the beginning, learned Danish, and is viewed as a good hands-on mother, rather like Kate Middleton is, only Mary does far more in a year.

Frederik did the clever thing: married someone who really wanted the status and privilege, but was sensible enough to be grateful for getting it and who was willing to work hard for it, give him a lovely family, and take a lot of the burden and spotlight off him.

Meghan Markle could take a leaf out of Mary's book. Mary at least evidences affection for Denmark, lived there for a year before the engagement was announced, and made an effort to acquaint herself with her new country. Meghan Markle pushed Harry into a fast commitment (partly because of her age), made it abundantly clear that she had little to no interest in her new country (except for its glitzy capital), and was just there to set herself up as an A-Lister.

It's fine to be attracted to position, she wouldn't do well unless the other party had some of that in her, but she has to be cognizant that she has to become part of the country that gave her the entree into a life of privilege, and that there's a price in terms of restraining personal inclinations, and some hard work attached. Mary got that; Meghan still doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 207November 14, 2018 5:28 PM

Funny though, Mary had huge detractors initially. So I guess she proved herself. They used to call her YRMA on the Royal Forums lol.

by Anonymousreply 208November 14, 2018 5:31 PM

Queen Maxima of the Netherlands had to cancel some events recently due to an infection but she's now resumed her duties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209November 14, 2018 5:37 PM

R206, his height is reported to be 5'10" and in photos where he's standing with others, his height appears to be completely average, if not a little taller than average. Why do you make shit up?

by Anonymousreply 210November 14, 2018 5:39 PM

R209 - Maxima is another fine example of an outsider, like Mary, coming into a new country, learning a new language, AND facing some political hostility because her father was attached to the brutal regime in which thousands of dissidents disappeared in Argentina, and having to prover herself to the population. Like Mary, she learnt the language quickly, went to work quickly and took on many engagements, got along with her in-laws, and her vivacity and hard work won the Dutch over.

Both Maxima and Mary had far tougher roles to master than Meghan Markle, who wasn't marrying the heir to the throne, didn't have to learn a new language, moved to a country with close historical ties to her natal country, and wasn't under any real pressure to provide the next generation's sovereign.

I only saw the blogs about Mary once and never returned, they were nearly hysterical in their hatred - it frankly creeped me out. It's one thing to point out that someone is screwing up publicly, but as Mary quickly became very much liked by the Danes, and comes out consistently at the top of the popularity polls amongst the Danish royals, their hatred of Mary was rooted in something else. It reminded me of Shirley Jackson's story, "The Lottery" - they picked her to project all their hate on. Anyone would think she'd paraded herself naked on a white horse in front of Amalienborg - when what is striking about Mary is that she's quite ordinary in a very useful way, and has done well in an extraordinary situation. In this, she also reminds me of Kate Middleton, who is also a quite ordinary Home Counties girl, and who has pretty much retained that aura whilst growing into the role of future queen consort.

Markle, on the other hand, is married to the sixth in line, yet has behaved publicly as if she is somehow entitled to all the attention and deference her sister-in-law is.

The royal circle is indeed a tricky one to navigate. New entrants need just the right amount of steel, covered by a quality of common touch humility, and the sense to avoid making waves or calling the wrong kind of attention to themselves. One senses that that is NOT the role Markle envisioned for herself as an HRH.

by Anonymousreply 211November 14, 2018 6:01 PM

Will you people stop using this thread as an excuse to trash Markle? Fucking thread hijackers. This thread is about Continental Royals only!

by Anonymousreply 212November 14, 2018 6:14 PM

R205 Silvia's plastic surgery is unfortunate given that she actually was very attractive before she had her face pulled way too tight. She looks even more odd because she clearly had a couple face lifts but never bothered to do anything to her neck or eyes so it throws everything off even more. She also goes too heavy on the fillers as well. I remember at Victoria's wedding she looked like she was storing nuts in her cheeks.

by Anonymousreply 213November 14, 2018 6:37 PM

Maybe it's the poor lighting in the photos, but Sweden's Prince Daniel looks like he he's aged markedly. He looks a touch haggard and has enormous circles under his eye. A number of years ago a poster on a Swedish royal family thread said that he had been ill with kidney disease and got a transplant. Is he sick again?

by Anonymousreply 214November 14, 2018 6:42 PM

R214 It depends on the picture, sometimes he look "classically handsome" and other times more drawn. It could very well be the mediation he is on as a result of the transplant. There's a rumour that before Daniel got the transplant, he had to have some sperm frozen as the side effect of the kidney medication is low sperm count and even ED.

by Anonymousreply 215November 14, 2018 7:13 PM

R214 maybe one of DL’s amateur doctors can chime in, but I was under the impression that kidney transplants don’t last forever—maybe 15-20 years. Maybe less if he still has the disease (like autoimmune) that caused the shut down in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 216November 14, 2018 7:22 PM

R210, what his height is "reported to be" means nothing, and in many photos I've seen of him he is wee. His sister Madeleine is "only" 5'7". Find more group shots.

by Anonymousreply 217November 14, 2018 7:40 PM

Oh please, He isnt 5'10. He is seriously not more than 5'7. 5'6 if that, is my guess. He isnt just short, but very short. Not that I mind, I love a little muscle power bottom....... No one has mentioned how the late husband of the Queen of Demark was strongly rumoured to be gay? Supposedly an open secret. He was also tough on his sons, and they didnt have a strong relationship.

by Anonymousreply 218November 14, 2018 8:04 PM

In addition to marrying a very slutty gay man, Gloria von thurn und taxis is a raging homophobe who is thought to have dated a female after his death. An Italian Princess of course; she is a snobbish frau who doesnt want to mix with the lower class.

by Anonymousreply 219November 14, 2018 11:59 PM

Those stans on Royal Forums - what a bunch of smug assholes they are.

by Anonymousreply 220November 15, 2018 12:33 AM

The former King Constantine of Greece's younger daughter, Theodora is engaged to be married to Matt Kumar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221November 16, 2018 5:52 PM

Meghan needs to take a page from Marie of Denmark’s playbook. Married a second son and went to work to prove herself to the Danish people. Like Mary, she always looks put together. Prince Joachim was rumored to be gay though, so I wonder if her marriage will wind up like her predecessor The Countess of Fredericksburg.

by Anonymousreply 222November 16, 2018 6:08 PM

Shut up r222, stop looking for excuses to hijack a thread about non-UK royals to talk about Meghan. You make me sick.

by Anonymousreply 223November 16, 2018 10:13 PM

I could care less about Meghan, but all of these antis are making me like her. I think they are mostly fraus that held some far fetched fantasy that Harry would choose them.

Anyways, on topic, here’s a new official portrait of the King and Queen of Belgium

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224November 16, 2018 10:30 PM

The French First Lady hosted the Grimaldi Twins. The boy looks a lot like Rainier to me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225November 16, 2018 10:31 PM

New Danish Royal Family Portraits

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226November 16, 2018 10:32 PM

Princess Madeleine took her family trick or treating

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227November 16, 2018 10:33 PM

The Danish Crown Princely Family is going to be very attractive once Frederik and Mary are King and Queen.

by Anonymousreply 228November 16, 2018 10:53 PM

The Danes seem to marry foreigners a lot...is it to diversify the gene pool?

by Anonymousreply 229November 17, 2018 1:45 PM

Princess Charlene did produce pretty children, the young Marquis de Baux in particular. I shudder at the thought that they’ll be trashy tabloid figures like every other Grimaldi.

by Anonymousreply 230November 17, 2018 2:40 PM

Philippe and Leitizia today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231November 17, 2018 5:38 PM

R231 - he's Spanish so it's Felipe (The Belgian King is Philippe). I like Letizia's dress but it's a little too low in front for a Queen.

by Anonymousreply 232November 17, 2018 5:55 PM

Three royal generations in Sweden - King Carl Gustaf, Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Estelle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233November 17, 2018 5:57 PM

How come the kings don't wear a crown?

by Anonymousreply 234November 17, 2018 5:57 PM

At least Letizia's got her arms covered for once.

by Anonymousreply 235November 17, 2018 5:58 PM

LOL at baby Estelle's look on her face as well as Carl Gustav's way of looking down at his granddaughter! Priceless!

by Anonymousreply 236November 17, 2018 6:07 PM

Estelle sounds like an old Jewish lady from Little Neck. Victoria really misfired, she had the opportunity to create more continuity in her family’s dynasty by naming her Victoria, thus making her Victoria II when she succeeds. Or, she could have gone back further way before the Bernadettes and named her Christina, giving Sweden a Christina II. Or even Margaret II or Ulrike II.

‘Queen Estelle’ blechhh.

by Anonymousreply 237November 17, 2018 6:09 PM

Bernadotte, not Bernadette.

by Anonymousreply 238November 17, 2018 6:10 PM

Yes, R236. The baby is looking straight at her grandfather. And he is looking straight at her. Great picture.

by Anonymousreply 239November 17, 2018 6:11 PM

R237 - Princess Estelle was named after this American who married a Swedish Count Folke Bernadotte.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240November 17, 2018 6:28 PM

Yes, I remember at the time a lot of us were wondering if Victoria had a close relationship with the countess or if she simply liked the name.

by Anonymousreply 241November 17, 2018 6:30 PM

Prince Carl Philip with his children

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242November 17, 2018 6:37 PM

Estelle can pick another name as a queen if she feels like it.

It's rather unusual with Scandinavian royalty, but it's not impossible or unfeasable.

by Anonymousreply 243November 17, 2018 6:37 PM

Carl Philip with family

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244November 17, 2018 6:37 PM

It seems like Victoria would have been 7 years old when Countess Estelle Bernadotte died, so maybe the close relationship was held by the King. Or maybe not at all, and they just like the name.

Still, seems odd. Queen Estelle. I wonder if she will play mah jong and make chicken soup.

by Anonymousreply 245November 17, 2018 6:39 PM

Princess Elisabeth, future Queen of Belgium, had a birthday recently

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246November 17, 2018 6:41 PM

R246 - The next Queen of Belgium had a party with classmates at school in Wales.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247November 17, 2018 6:45 PM

Elisabeth looks like her father King Philippe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248November 17, 2018 6:46 PM

The daughter of the Crown Prince and Princess of Norway, Ingrid Alexandra, is pretty. She was born first so she comes before her brother in the line of succession.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249November 17, 2018 6:50 PM

Ingrid Alexandra is a natural Nordic beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250November 17, 2018 6:51 PM

In the future, there will eventually be FIVE QUEEN SOVEREIGNS - Elisabeth of Belgium, Catharina Amalia of the Netherlands, Ingrid Alexandra of Norway, Leonor of Spain and Estelle of Sweden (left to right).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251November 17, 2018 6:53 PM

The Belgian monarchy may not last. The king's brother is a loafer. He's complained publicly that he is not paid enough. And the Belgian government gave him a dressing down for attending in full dress uniform a military parade in China a few years ago.

The king's father the former king, Albert II, was recently ordered by a European court to submit to a DNA test to determine whether he is the father of a 50 year old woman, sired from an extramarital affair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252November 17, 2018 7:30 PM

Letizia is growing on me.

Queen Bitch! I'm the only Queen here. Get away from mah Princesses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253November 17, 2018 8:05 PM

Even though I really love Letizia, that striped dress up the thread a bit (in Peru?) is horrid. It's a bad flashback to the 70's and if she wears it again I'm going to need some drugs. She usually looks impeccable.

by Anonymousreply 254November 17, 2018 8:07 PM

Princess Ingid is developing in a beautiful young woman

by Anonymousreply 255November 17, 2018 8:32 PM

Will Crown Princess Mette Marit die from her COPD?

by Anonymousreply 256November 18, 2018 1:20 AM

Yes likely r256. It will become progressively worse. There is no cure so ostensibly it's a terminal diagnosis.

by Anonymousreply 257November 18, 2018 1:29 AM

Queen Maxima says now she hopes to wear the Stuart Tiara more often, and that they were saving it for the state visit. She says this in Dutch, which sounds like she has her Spanish accent mixed in and it’s utterly charming.

by Anonymousreply 258November 18, 2018 11:31 AM

Haakon and Ingrid

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259November 18, 2018 10:22 PM

The Crown Prince of Norway is hot and has a beautiful family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260November 18, 2018 11:16 PM

Ok we experimented with changing the rules of succession from males to the first born child whether male or female. Most of Europeans monarchs are going to be stuck with queens. Luckily the next 3 monarchs in the UK will be a King. The UK got stuck with a woman who refuses to give it up.

by Anonymousreply 261November 18, 2018 11:20 PM

Look at poor Princess Ingrid, already having to fill in for her sick mother.

by Anonymousreply 262November 18, 2018 11:25 PM

Luxembourg, Lichtenstein, Monaco, Denmark, and The UK will have male monarchs though, so it’s an equal mix of genders. Andorra will always have a male co-prince becuse by tradition one is always a Catholic bishop.

by Anonymousreply 263November 18, 2018 11:29 PM

Andorra should really do something about the co-prince arrangement.

by Anonymousreply 264November 18, 2018 11:37 PM

I love that Carla Bruni was a Princess for a few years

by Anonymousreply 265November 19, 2018 12:02 AM

The President of France is only the co-prince because it was originally the King of France. They could offer the job to the pretender or one of his younger brothers.

by Anonymousreply 266November 19, 2018 12:42 AM

R265, how was Carla Bruni a princess? I see no mention of that on Wikipedia.

by Anonymousreply 267November 19, 2018 5:36 AM

Well, if her husband Nicholas was co-prince, doesn’t that make her his consort? It’s true, her Wiki doesn’t say it, but wives are usually styled like their husband by courtesy.

by Anonymousreply 268November 19, 2018 12:39 PM

R261 - "stuck with Queens"....

From under what Deplorable rock did you crawl out?

by Anonymousreply 269November 19, 2018 2:05 PM

Queen Mathilde of Belgium (in red) with her husband and the Macrons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270November 19, 2018 3:18 PM

Dear Charlene, whatever you are doing to your face, please stop. Thank you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271November 19, 2018 3:19 PM

Praying for some sense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272November 19, 2018 3:20 PM

She's relatively young for all of the surgery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273November 19, 2018 3:21 PM

Fiery Red suits Queen Maxima of the Netherlands.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274November 19, 2018 4:13 PM

What have you done to her eyes???? You maniacs!!!

by Anonymousreply 275November 19, 2018 4:20 PM

Seriously. Charlene didn’t need that yet!!!

by Anonymousreply 276November 19, 2018 4:20 PM

R257 that’s so sad. Haakon was ready to give up his title to marry her. Although I have heard of some marital discord from time to time, they seem to be in love. And he is very suave, something about him makes me warm inside.

by Anonymousreply 277November 19, 2018 4:24 PM

Haakon looks like he’d be a very gentle, kind man. There is a cute clip of him with Ingrid on a children’s show, they were very good sports interacting with puppets and playing games. I think Ingrid is going to be a good Queen, if the monarchy survives.

by Anonymousreply 278November 19, 2018 4:43 PM

Both Silvia of Sweden and Mary of Denmark were both born commoners but they sure know how to dress and behave with dignity and respect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279November 19, 2018 4:46 PM

R279 too bad about Silvia's joker smile though.

by Anonymousreply 280November 19, 2018 5:21 PM

R280 - Queen Silvia was quite lovely until she ruined her face with plastic surgery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281November 19, 2018 5:27 PM

Silvia is the splitting image of her Brazilian mother Alice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282November 19, 2018 5:28 PM

Silvia and Alice. Click for more photos of Silvia in youth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283November 19, 2018 5:30 PM

Hell, even Silvia's husband King Carl Gustaf was handsome in his day. Too bad he screwed around on her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284November 19, 2018 5:33 PM

Queen Sonja of Norway had big hair in youth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285November 19, 2018 5:34 PM

Crown Prince Haakon resembles his mother a lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286November 19, 2018 5:35 PM

R285 Sonja has aged very well and looks fantastic for 81

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287November 19, 2018 5:37 PM

My favorite Queen Consort is Mathilde of the Belgians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288November 19, 2018 5:51 PM

Mathilde as a young bride in 1999.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289November 19, 2018 5:59 PM

I’m pleasantly surprised that there are so many people here Team Mathilde, unless all the replies are coming from the same person. She’s got an interesting maternal lineage, her grandmother was a Polish princess from a very old princely family, and her father was from the Belgian gentry and carried the title ‘Junker’ and later elevated to Count, so Mathilde has some nice blood in her veins. Plus she seems like a nice person. Too bad she’s bearding The King, who was rumored to want to transition prior to his father abdicating.

by Anonymousreply 290November 19, 2018 6:12 PM

R290 - there is no evidence that Mathilde is bearding for her husband King Philippe. They've had four children together, they are very affectionate with each other and seem like a happy couple.

by Anonymousreply 291November 19, 2018 6:32 PM

Philippe is said to be a bit on the dim side sometimes - if so, it's a fairly good thing he got himself a decent wife like Mathilde is.

by Anonymousreply 292November 19, 2018 6:39 PM

R292 - First, he's gay and now he's dim. Any other lie you want to get off your chest?

by Anonymousreply 293November 19, 2018 6:42 PM

I’m not the only one saying it. Even Marlene had to address the rumors in her blog, even if the rumors are false (like all the MeAgain rumors) they’re out there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294November 19, 2018 7:08 PM

R294 - rumors are NOT evidence. Case closed.

by Anonymousreply 295November 19, 2018 7:16 PM

R293, I've never heard of him being gay, fucktard.

by Anonymousreply 296November 19, 2018 7:18 PM

There had been rumours that Philippe is gay in Belgium for ages. It likely stems from the fact that that prior to his engagement to Mathilde, which came as a surprise because there is no evidence that they had dated, he had never been linked to anyone. I don't know where the transgender stuff comes from though. I don't know if Philippe is gay, but I do believe that his marriage to Mathilde might have been arranged to an extent, but they seem happy together.

by Anonymousreply 297November 19, 2018 7:23 PM

294 Who the hell is Marlene and how does she know the royal family?

by Anonymousreply 298November 19, 2018 7:45 PM

R297 - I remember seeing a Point de Vue magazine cover with Philippe linked to wine heiress Fiammetta Frescobaldi.

by Anonymousreply 299November 19, 2018 7:56 PM

Meghan and Harry at Royal Variety Performances

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300November 19, 2018 8:03 PM

R300 Sorry, wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 301November 19, 2018 8:04 PM

You don’t get to close cases here, cunt at R295

by Anonymousreply 302November 19, 2018 8:37 PM

There is no case. Other than 'rumored to be gay' there is nothing to read here. It's not even hearsay or gossip.

by Anonymousreply 303November 19, 2018 9:54 PM

We love gossip here.

Continue everyone, except Belgian Frau at R295.

by Anonymousreply 304November 19, 2018 10:14 PM

Belgian Royals and French President

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305November 20, 2018 5:08 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306November 20, 2018 2:03 PM

The Grimaldi’s are their own worst enemy. Rainier tried to raise the profile of the place and succeeded in getting invites to the big royal events of the 60s 70s and 70s; weddings, jubilees, enthronement, etc. He was treated as an equal sovereign, despite the trashy reputation of the principality. yet his kids don’t care. I thought Caroline marrying an HRH wasn’t a step in the right direction but no.

by Anonymousreply 307November 20, 2018 2:08 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308November 20, 2018 2:08 PM

Someone has decided to close the last thread (#25) on the Sins of Meghan Markle well before it reached 600 posts, and right in the middle of an, er, very lively discussion about the astonishingly inappropriate outfit she wore to the Royal Variety Show yesterday.

So, perforce, and as Britain is part of the region called Europe (staying carefully from any references here to the EU), I hope you will allow those of us frustrated by having the door shut in our faces in media res, I hope you all here will allow us to incorporate some talk of the Brits here (the British Royals Thread is also closed).

Charlene of Monaco should have a thread of her own, because of all Europe's "royals" (they're only Serene Highnesses, not Royal Highnesses - they may be very, very rich but they're still the charter members of the Euro Trash Club), because the artificiality of her arranged marriage to Albert so that Monaco has direct heirs, and her dead eyes, are a fascinating subject all their own.

I keep wondering how old the children will be before she bails. It took her 2-3 years to get pregnant in her late thirties. But the prenump must have included a stip that she only gets a massive settlement if she's done the brood mare task she was clearly hired for; but having done so, she has to know that she'll never get out with the kids themselves.

by Anonymousreply 309November 20, 2018 2:10 PM

What the hell is Albert wearing? Didn't he look in the mirror before leaving the palace?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310November 20, 2018 2:10 PM

Did everyone get the "let's wear black" memo? Check.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311November 20, 2018 2:12 PM

Belgian Queen Mathilde looked lovely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312November 20, 2018 2:13 PM

This is for R289 on the Tendrils #25 Thread: you nailed it hook, line, and sinker. That sugar you challenged is clearly pathologically invested in Meghan Markle. And thanks for bringing up dissociative disorder.

by Anonymousreply 313November 20, 2018 2:14 PM

R312 - Indeed. Mathilde sort of combines milkmaid and arista nicely. She usually dresses beautifully but once in awhile does step out in some howlers.

by Anonymousreply 314November 20, 2018 2:15 PM

Albert is wearing the dress uniform of the Monaco palace guard, his father wore the same uniform to be married to Grace. As France manages their military and diplomacy, the coast guard and the palace guard are their only real military operations. As head of state Albert is the commander of both. The white thing he wore to his wedding was just a fantasy stitched together based on the fairy tale prince notion, and not associated with any regiment. I think one is the Casaraghi boys is associated with the Coast Guard, or at least did a short turn in it and was able to wear the uniform.

by Anonymousreply 315November 20, 2018 2:49 PM

It’s so strange that Charlene never smiles or seems happy in any of her photos. Maybe she’s just reserved by nature, but it’s sad if she really doesn’t feel any moments of happiness enough to crack a smile or to laugh.

by Anonymousreply 316November 20, 2018 2:52 PM

Charlene almost never looks directly into the camera, her eyes are always turned inward. I completely believe the story of her attempted flight and recapture right before the wedding. Albert would never have married if he hadn't had to. She's like a prop who knows she's a prop. It's quite sad.

by Anonymousreply 317November 20, 2018 3:04 PM

R316 - it's hard for her to smile when her face can't move very much.

She's going to look like a Hollywood horror by the time she's fifty.

by Anonymousreply 318November 20, 2018 3:04 PM

It's her face, stupid!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319November 20, 2018 3:05 PM

I think the riband of her Order of St Charles is doing an interesting thing with the color blocked gown, I haven’t seen that before so I think she gets a check mark for that.

by Anonymousreply 320November 20, 2018 3:07 PM

R320 - The evening dress was fine but her afternoon ensemble was terrible,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321November 20, 2018 3:09 PM

Her ROYAL Highness Princess Caroline wore white gloves with her red dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322November 20, 2018 3:11 PM

Do you think the BOW is big enough???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323November 20, 2018 3:12 PM

Charlene looked more "normal" a few years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324November 20, 2018 3:13 PM

Charlene tries to channel the Dior ‘New Look’ for the dressy daytime national events. It comes across costumey to me though.

by Anonymousreply 325November 20, 2018 3:16 PM

Char channels 90s era Diana

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326November 20, 2018 3:26 PM

My mistake at post R311 - Mathilde's dress looked black in the first photos I saw of the event but it's actually a very deep dark red.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327November 20, 2018 3:43 PM

Mathilde of Belgium may be the best looking Queen ever but there's something lovely about her. Her inner beauty shines through.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328November 20, 2018 3:45 PM

After Queen Mathilde, I would have to say that my second favorite royal is Crown Princess Mary of Denmark. She adapted to her role and new country very well. She's also very stylish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329November 20, 2018 3:49 PM

Mary can rock a tiara too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330November 20, 2018 3:50 PM

Mary did her duty and had an heir and three spares.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331November 20, 2018 3:53 PM

My third favorite is Queen Maxima of the Netherlands. I like her for her exuberance, enthusiasm and colorful outfits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332November 20, 2018 3:55 PM

The colorful Dutch Queen Maxima.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333November 20, 2018 3:56 PM

Yellow is a favorite color of Maxima.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334November 20, 2018 3:57 PM

One of my favorite Maxima evening gown - red, white and black sweeping cape dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335November 20, 2018 3:58 PM

Maxima and Willem Alexander have three daughters. The middle one Alexia the redhead resembles her mother the most.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336November 20, 2018 4:03 PM

The youngest Orange looks ‘special’, the middle one is going to be a knock-out, the older one has the unfortunate block-shaped head that many members of the House of Orange have. However her hair is beautiful and if she keeps wearing it in that style she could minimize the appearance of the head. I’m sure Maxima knows whats she’s going with her styling of them. I hope they grow up sturdy decent people like most of the Oranges, instead of tabloid trash like the House of Grimaldi.

by Anonymousreply 337November 20, 2018 4:17 PM

Danish King Frederik IX had three daughters - left to right are Anne-Marie, Benedikte and Margrethe.

A referendum was held and the Danes overwhelmingly voted for a woman to be their sovereign. The eldest daughter, now Queen Margrethe, has the honor of being the ONLY monarch who was VOTED into her position.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338November 20, 2018 4:23 PM

I think Anne-Marie (who married the former King Constantine of Greece) was the prettiest of the three Danish princesses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339November 20, 2018 4:25 PM

Interesting photo of the Dutch and Danish princesses (the former Queen Beatrix is on the left).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340November 20, 2018 4:27 PM

Does Queen Sonja get along with her DIL Mette Marit? I was always under the impression that they were not close. Because of Mette’s party girl background and the fact that although she was a commoner like Sonja, she had a rather poor upbringing...her father is a bit low class a la Billy Carter. Sonja comes from a wealthy family.

by Anonymousreply 341November 20, 2018 4:30 PM

Queen Ingrid of Denmark was pretty in her youth. She is the mother of the three Danish princesses in R338.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342November 20, 2018 4:34 PM

The popular Queen Astrid of Belgium (a former Swedish princess like Ingrid) died tragically in a car accident leaving behind three children. The driver King Leopold survived and remarried.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343November 20, 2018 4:38 PM

R309 seems to have rocks in his or her fucking head...hijacking the thread about Continental Royals with their lame Meghan hate. Enough.

by Anonymousreply 344November 20, 2018 4:40 PM

And Mathilda looks like she’s transgender herself.

by Anonymousreply 345November 20, 2018 4:41 PM

R309 - the British Royal Family Part 5 thread is still open.

by Anonymousreply 346November 20, 2018 4:43 PM

One royal lady I haven't warmed to is Queen Letizia of Spain. The nose job, the unmoving face and the dead eyes leave me cold. I will admit that she wears some stylish fashions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347November 20, 2018 4:50 PM

Too many generations of commoner marriages and they'll cease to be royal.

by Anonymousreply 348November 20, 2018 5:07 PM

Letizia in red was a memorable presence at the Danish royal wedding. She's so thin now that she looks like a good wind would blow her away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349November 20, 2018 5:08 PM

Princess Claire of Luxembourg is very pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350November 20, 2018 5:26 PM

Claire of Luxembourg on her wedding day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351November 20, 2018 5:27 PM

Claire is a classic beauty,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352November 20, 2018 5:28 PM

Margrethe was heiress presumptive to her father. True they had to change the constitution to allow for female succession, but it’s not like she wasn’t in direct line for it anyway, as oldest child of The Sovereign. A better example of a voted-in monarch would be the current king of Malaysia.

by Anonymousreply 353November 20, 2018 5:48 PM

King Philippe of the Belgians is an artist. Here he shows French President Macron the painting he drew of his eldest daughter and heir Princess Elisabeth. Not bad at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354November 20, 2018 5:55 PM

R353 Not really. Malaysia has a revolving system whereby the title of king passes through all the sultans in a regular order. The general public has no say and does not 'vote' for the king. Not that the king has any power or is particulary relevant.

by Anonymousreply 355November 20, 2018 6:32 PM

I thought the other regional sultans vote amongst themselves for the new king?

Nonetheless, Margrethe II is not really an elected sovereign.

by Anonymousreply 356November 20, 2018 6:56 PM

the nine sultans 'vote' among themsleves, but its a formality really as they 'elect' a king in a regular order

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357November 20, 2018 7:02 PM

Am I the only one who has as hard time telling Mathilde and Maxima apart?

by Anonymousreply 358November 20, 2018 8:25 PM

R348 - Second that. That's the whole issue in a nutshell. If anyone can marry in, what does "royal" really mean?

This is what begs the central question of the future of European royalty. For now, the Kate Middleton, Mary Donaldsons, and Maxima Zorriguietas are holding the side up - grateful for their privileges and astonishing good luck, demure, cautious, no boats rocked . . . but the Meghan Markles, Mette-Marits (meaning no disrespect to the lethally ill), Princess Sofias of Norway and, to a certain extent, Letizia of Spain, are cheapening the brand. Diana looked like a good bet for shoring up the BRF into the next century, but Charles and the BRF backed the wrong horse. Ironically, that's why they wouldn't have let him marry Camilla.

It's interesting to speculate what would have happened if Charles and Diana had worked it out and their marriage held together. It's likely Meghan Markle would still be in Toronto, frantically wondering what her prospects were as she aged out of ingenue parts like Rachel Zane. Kate Middleton might have passed muster to Diana, but Meghan Markle never would have. Diana would have seen that manipulative grifter for what she was at 100 feet.

The water marks are beginning to show on the brand.. Where will they all be in 100 years?

by Anonymousreply 359November 21, 2018 1:20 AM

Can we have one non Meghan Markle Royal thread? It always brings some out the delusional.

Here’s a new picture of Princess Victoria

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360November 21, 2018 1:25 AM

[quote] Can we have one non Meghan Markle Royal thread? It always brings some out the delusional.

NO WE CANNOT.

by Anonymousreply 361November 21, 2018 1:26 AM

Interestingly as the years go by it looks more likely that Princess Claire of Luxembourg and her very handsome husband Prince Felix will one day be Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg. The heir to the throne - Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume - has been married to Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie for over six years now with no sign of children. If, sadly, they don’t produce any offspring then Félix and Claire’s daughter Amelia will be in line to be a Grand Duchess in her own right.

Admittedly her grandfather is only in his early sixties and there are two successions to go, so plenty of time. She’s only four years old - I wonder when she will discover this news if/when the time comes?

by Anonymousreply 362November 21, 2018 2:29 AM

^^^ Correction - Princess Amalia, not Amelia.

by Anonymousreply 363November 21, 2018 2:30 AM

The fraus from the snotty Royal websites have invaded the Datalounge...help us all.

by Anonymousreply 364November 21, 2018 3:01 AM

Those Luxembourg boys are YUM.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365November 21, 2018 3:01 AM

Felix is anyway r365.

by Anonymousreply 366November 21, 2018 3:04 AM

I think Guillaume is handsome too, my one problem with him is that I think he throws way too much joy into his photos. Even the simplest photo shows him with full teeth exposed in a huge smile, his eyes crunched shut. He should be a little more dignified, he reminds me of an excited college kid. Felix is way more restrained.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367November 21, 2018 3:15 AM

r362 much like his great Uncle Baudoin in Belgium. A fine king and monarch by all accounts, Fabiola was much loved as well. But no children. There will be plenty of heirs to inherit with no problem.

by Anonymousreply 368November 21, 2018 3:21 AM

R362 here, R364. Was that directed at me?

I’m not a frau, just your average gay man with an interest in royal families and monarchies and a curiosity in the world beyond my horizons. Otherwise why would I (or you, for that matter) be active in this thread?

by Anonymousreply 369November 21, 2018 3:32 AM

R369, I’m not R362 but they are most likely referring to the tendril fraus who randomly bring up Meghan Markle in things that don’t concern her... like a thread that’s only for European Royals outside of the British Royal Family

by Anonymousreply 370November 21, 2018 3:34 AM

I watched Queen Fabiola’s funeral service when she died, The Empress of Japan gave the late dowager Queen such a dignified and reverential bow, it was so lovely and moving.

Most of us royal jewelry watchers have been waiting to see what happened to Queen Fabiola’s small, but beautiful, jewel collection. There had been rumors that she would leave it all the charity, or to her aristocratic Spanish family of Marquesses and Grandees. But bit by bit we see the pieces on Mathilde, and some were given to her even prior to Fab’s death, like a wonderful diamond waterfall brooch which Mathilde wore on her accession day photos, or her diamond and ruby bracelet, or her Wulfers necklace/tiara. We’re waiting to see if Queen Fabiola’s wonderful Spanish wedding gift tiara makes a reappearance. It can be worn as a tiara two different ways, and also as a necklace.

by Anonymousreply 371November 21, 2018 3:50 AM

Supposedly Fabiola, Paola and Mathilde could not stand each other.

by Anonymousreply 372November 21, 2018 10:46 AM

Fabiola couldn’t stand Paola, is what I heard. I never heard that she couldn’t stand Mathilde, I thought they had a warm relationship and that’s why she left her the jewels. Her relationship with Paola was poor because Fabiola was extremely religious (practically a nun) and was offended at Paola’s love affairs. She was also very jealous because Paola produced three children while she herself miscarried hers. In terms of rank though, they were nearly equals. Fabiola came from an ancient Spanish noble family and her father was a Marquess, Paola came from an ancient Italian noble family and her father was a Duke.

by Anonymousreply 373November 21, 2018 11:54 AM

R373 - Philippe was close to his uncle Baudouin and aunt Fabiola. Mathilde was also close to Fabiola. I'm not sure about Fabiola and Paola 's relationship. They were seen together at official functions and family get togethers. I don't know if they socialized.

by Anonymousreply 374November 21, 2018 3:04 PM

Victoria looks fabulous in that photo and very happy.

I thought I remembered reading at the time of Stephanie's marriage to Guillaume that she wasn't that interested in having children right away and she is only 34 years old, so she still has time, and the word was that she was "in no rush".

So I wouldn't wager yet that Felix's and Claire's daughter will inherit.

by Anonymousreply 375November 21, 2018 3:19 PM

R375 - Guillaume and Stephanie are moving to London so Guillaume can finish a degree.

by Anonymousreply 376November 21, 2018 3:22 PM

I love two things about the Dutch Queen. Maxima is not afraid to wear color and big hats!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377November 21, 2018 5:42 PM

Maxima is fabulous. She deserves to be a gay icon

by Anonymousreply 378November 21, 2018 5:55 PM

That's a fantastic look for Maxima. However the chiffon hem hanging below the coat is a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 379November 21, 2018 6:19 PM

Princess Stephanie had a wonderful red outfit on at the Monaco National Day.

Her sad face is the result of too much smoking and too much sun. What a tragedy. She looks much older than her fifties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380November 21, 2018 7:55 PM

Princess Caroline had her hands full with two of her grandchildren. Her daughter Charlotte Casiraghi did not attend the National Day ceremonies due to just having her second son.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381November 21, 2018 7:58 PM

I think Caroline's younger son Pierre Casiraghi has the best looking wife and children. Here he is on the balcony with his eldest son Stefano (named after his father).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382November 21, 2018 8:01 PM

Pierre with his late father Stefano (left) and with his son Stefano (right).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383November 21, 2018 8:01 PM

Andrea Casiraghi with his nephew Stefano. Andrea always looks like he needs a good wash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384November 21, 2018 8:02 PM

I think Pierre’s wife is an Italian countess?

by Anonymousreply 385November 21, 2018 8:03 PM

Caroline with Pierre's younger son Francesco. He's going to be cute like his older brother Stefano.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386November 21, 2018 8:04 PM

Pierre’s wife is stunning, like a prettier Blake Lively

by Anonymousreply 387November 21, 2018 9:06 PM

Ferdinand Habsburg, 21-year old Formula 3 Driver, on the track at the Macau Grand Prix on Sunday.

[Ferdinand Zvonimir Maria Balthus Keith Michael Otto Antal Bahnam Leonhard von Habsburg-Lothringen: Archduke of Austria, Royal Prince of Hungary, Bohemia and Croatia]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388November 22, 2018 1:12 AM

^^^ ‘Keith’?

by Anonymousreply 389November 22, 2018 1:59 AM

Those Casiraghis are all incredibly handsome, pretty actually. Pierre and Andrea maybe even more so than their father. And he was sexy already. Was there any gossip about Stefano C. back then?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390November 22, 2018 2:49 AM

Pussy hound r390. Was never faithful to Caroline. She has the worst luck with men.

by Anonymousreply 391November 22, 2018 3:12 AM

Maxima looks splendid at a state dinner for the Singapore President.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392November 22, 2018 2:37 PM

A close up of Maxima's tiara.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393November 22, 2018 2:38 PM

Wow, what rubies. The Oranges have a very impressive collection.

by Anonymousreply 394November 22, 2018 2:46 PM

I find the whole concept of Monaco's National Day peculiar. You can fit the entire principality inside New York's Central Park. So when you celebrate Monaco National Day, what customs and traditions do you celebrate that differentiates you from the surrounding Côte-d'Azur, Provence, and Southern France? The traditions, customs, cuisine are all the same.

by Anonymousreply 395November 22, 2018 4:10 PM

Celebrating their sovereignty? It’s kind of a novelty to still have a tiny principality, remember Germany and Italy were comprised of little places like Monaco. In Germany’s case, hundreds of them. Imagine that? Your neighbor down the road reports to a different prince than you do.

by Anonymousreply 396November 22, 2018 4:14 PM

There is a Monagasque language, an Italian dialect.

by Anonymousreply 397November 23, 2018 10:46 AM

Monégasque is a dialect of Intermelian Ligurian, a dialect continuum stretching from Monaco to San Remo.

by Anonymousreply 398November 23, 2018 1:58 PM

I think they do have a lot to be proud of. It’s a rocky outcrop with few resources except a good harbor, enhanced by man-made harbors over the years. They lost 90% of their territory in the 19th century leaving them the Cental Park size we see now, yet they have an extremely dense population in very high income brackets. It’s hardly a backwater, although it does have a louche reputation. Not bad for a place with humble origins. Btw, one of the Princes of Monaco in the 19th century made a marriage with the daughter of a Scottish duke and his German princess wife. This marriage connects the Grimaldi family with the House of Baden, which then connects them to the royal house of Sweden and also to Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh, among others.

by Anonymousreply 399November 23, 2018 2:26 PM

King Philippe and Queen Mathilde of Belgium are in Berlin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400November 23, 2018 2:55 PM

The young royal children of Sweden - Estelle, Leonore and Nicolas (top left to right) and Oscar, Alexander and Gabriel (bottom left to right). Estelle and Oscar are Crown Princess Victoria's children, Leonore and Nicolas are Princess Madeleine's children (missing is baby Princess Adrienne) and Alexander and Oscar are Prince Carl Philip's two boys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401November 23, 2018 3:09 PM

R401, you mean Alexander and *Gabriel*, the latter is the spitting image of Sofia.

by Anonymousreply 402November 23, 2018 3:17 PM

Is little Nicolas transitioning?

by Anonymousreply 403November 23, 2018 3:18 PM

I think Nicolas looks like his maternal grandfather

by Anonymousreply 404November 23, 2018 3:34 PM

R402 - yes, you're right, my apologies.

by Anonymousreply 405November 23, 2018 3:37 PM

oh I hope not r404, that would be a sad fate.

by Anonymousreply 406November 23, 2018 3:39 PM

R392 I think it was an inappropriate choice of gown as she was entertaining to religious muslims and it probably would have best to cover her other arm as well.

by Anonymousreply 407November 23, 2018 4:38 PM

About 15 years or so ago, I remember seeing an article about the hottest male royals in one of the tabloids. It was the first time I ever heard of Carl Phillip or Haakon. There was an amazing photo of a very buff shirtless Haakon. I had that clipping for years but it's gone now and I can't seem to find it online. But his wife was a very lucky woman.

by Anonymousreply 408November 23, 2018 6:40 PM

Shirtless Haakon, not bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409November 23, 2018 6:51 PM

Yes, that's a more recent photo. He looks good. The one from 15 years ago was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 410November 23, 2018 6:54 PM

Not bad.

by Anonymousreply 411November 23, 2018 7:30 PM

[quote] Charlene almost never looks directly into the camera, her eyes are always turned inward. I completely believe the story of her attempted flight and recapture right before the wedding. Albert would never have married if he hadn't had to. She's like a prop who knows she's a prop. It's quite sad.

Poor Charlene. She's the Melania Knavs of Europe. Just without the soft-core lesbian nude photo spreads.

by Anonymousreply 412November 23, 2018 8:33 PM

Prince Haakon of Norway and Prince Kyril of Bulgaria in Mallorca, 2005.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413November 23, 2018 9:01 PM

Queen Maxima wore this printed outfit for a government dinner for the Singapore President.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414November 24, 2018 6:03 PM

Maxima could have landed a hotter husband, but I think she chose to cash out instead and I’d say she made a good choice.

by Anonymousreply 415November 24, 2018 6:26 PM

Max looks like she'd be a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 416November 24, 2018 6:28 PM

I’m always surprised when I see Haakon or Carl at the beach wearing long board shorts, I really thought that kind of beach modesty was an American, Australian, and British thing and that Europeans wore tinky-winky little trunks and bikinis.

by Anonymousreply 417November 24, 2018 8:32 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418November 25, 2018 2:43 PM

I love a royal woman in military uniform, with boots and riding crop. I don’t love Princess Anne wearing the male version though, I like royal women in skirts with their uniform.

by Anonymousreply 419November 25, 2018 3:36 PM

Frederik and Mary of Denmark visiting a museum. She's wearing a stylish cape.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420November 25, 2018 4:41 PM

re r 418, what exactly is a "s hort commissioning course" ? Is there a career at the end of it? Seems like an odd choice for a princess.

by Anonymousreply 421November 25, 2018 4:57 PM

Princess Stephanie of Monaco's only son Louis Ducret and his fiancee Marie. He certainly didn't get his plain looks and short stature from his parents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422November 26, 2018 4:43 PM

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark in a white outfit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423November 26, 2018 4:44 PM

[QUOTE] Princess Stephanie of Monaco's only son Louis Ducret and his fiancee Marie.

What??? Doesn’t he know that a Grimaldi gets the woman pregnant FIRST??

by Anonymousreply 424November 26, 2018 6:03 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425November 26, 2018 6:30 PM

Queen Maxima puts so much into her colorful dress - everything but the kitchen sink. LOL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426November 26, 2018 6:32 PM

Not European royalty but I had to share. I love Queen Rania of Jordan's gown here. The wind allows us to see the colored pattern inside.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427November 26, 2018 6:43 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428November 27, 2018 6:52 PM

Re Princess Tessy divorce, her ex gave up his right to the throne but as the third son, it was a slim chance.

by Anonymousreply 429November 28, 2018 4:06 AM

R429 Not quite a throne for the Grand Duke, but he is very rich

by Anonymousreply 430November 28, 2018 7:38 AM

I didn’t know the Luxembourg grand ducal family was very rich, how’d they make their money? Shady banking, like Liechtenstein?

by Anonymousreply 431November 28, 2018 1:02 PM

King Philippe of the Belgians with his three oldest children when they were younger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432November 28, 2018 5:46 PM

Philippe's heir is his eldest child Princess Elisabeth shown here with the youngest daughter in the family, Princess Eleonore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433November 28, 2018 5:48 PM

The Royals of Monaco are on the cover of French mag Point De Vue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434November 28, 2018 5:56 PM

R431 - Something like that. The Lichtenstein dynasty is legendarily the richest one in Europe, and Beatrix of The Netherlands is said to be richer than QEII - the family fortune was built on Royal Dutch Petroleum (now simply Dutch Petroleum after the Oranges sold it).

It is unfortunate that the colour of the House of Orange is, well - orange. It doesn't suit many, including Maxima's sallow colouring, but she gamely wears it when she has to.

by Anonymousreply 435November 28, 2018 6:04 PM

R422 - Well, he might have gotten the plain looks and short stature from his grandparents, as Rainier was a virtual toad. Seriously, one of the ugliest royal men ever. I doubt the beauteous Grace married him out of infatuation with his looks and charm.

by Anonymousreply 436November 28, 2018 6:07 PM

Lord, Caroline's grandson, in his father's, Pierre's arms, is already stunning.

Caroline, however, has aged horrendously - as we say here: too much backstory, and it shows on her face.

by Anonymousreply 437November 28, 2018 6:14 PM

The boy's name is LORD?!?

by Anonymousreply 438November 28, 2018 6:16 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439November 28, 2018 6:34 PM

>>The King of the Netherlands flys<<

Oh dear ...

by Anonymousreply 440November 28, 2018 6:38 PM

Count Hubert D'Ornano and his bride, the former Isabelle Potocka, on their wedding day in 1963. Like her husband, Isabelle d'Ornano also comes from aristocratic stock. She is descended from Poland's Queen Barbara Radziwill. Her uncle, Stanislaw, married Lee Bouvier, Jackie Kennedy Onassis’ sister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441November 28, 2018 8:11 PM

This is a weekly magazine focusing on Royals. It’s in Swedish and especially about Swedish RF, but Swedish is not too far from English. You might understand a word here and there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442November 28, 2018 8:44 PM

The lovely commoner Camilla Crociani (aka HRH Princess Camilla, Duchess of Castro) has been a fabulous addition to the House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies. Classy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443November 28, 2018 8:51 PM

The Ducal family of Luxembourg are worth billions, way more than the BRF. Partly from some shady banking, no doubt. And a big steel industry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444November 28, 2018 10:36 PM

Yeah, poor Oranges to have to actually wear orange. I’ve seen Willem in orange twills for casual summer events and I suspect he hates them, they’re not flattering.

There’s something in the Dutch constitution that says the sovereign can’t be part of the military, so once he succeeded his mother he wasn’t allowed to wear his uniforms anymore. That’s a shame because he DID look snappy in them, with the hats offsetting his blocky Orange-Nassau head. Now he wears white tie to formal events, giving him an uncool Count Dracula look while all his peers are in gleaming gold braid and medals. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 445November 28, 2018 11:03 PM

R444, I think the Princely family of Liechtenstein are worth a billion, but not the Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446November 28, 2018 11:04 PM

R446

"uke Henri of the Luxembourg has a fortune estimated at around £2.3 billion. The Grand Duke has a lot of personal investments including in gold and real estate."

yep Henri is worth billions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447November 28, 2018 11:26 PM

R447, That's an article on Royal Central - hardly expert reporting - that has no sources listed or mentioned. Mine is Wikipedia. I don't mean to be argumentative or bitchy, but I'm pretty sure I'm right on this one.

by Anonymousreply 448November 29, 2018 12:01 AM

Prince Felix of Bourbon Parma made a great match when he married Henri’s grandmother then, because he was one of like 19 kids and they had no money- just a good title from a good old family.

by Anonymousreply 449November 29, 2018 12:02 AM

King Willem-Alexander needs his teeth whitened.

by Anonymousreply 450November 29, 2018 1:20 AM

Tessy is one of the homeliest princesses ever. She looks like a complete frau.

by Anonymousreply 451November 29, 2018 1:22 AM

The Grimaldi and Liechtenstein princely families are supposed to have the most cash. The Windsors have great assets but tied up in things like art and properties. The Oranges have all the money and power from Royal Dutch Shell but I think it’s not like what it was from Queen Juliana’s time, I think they sold off substantial portions of the stock. Not because they needed the money, I just think they needed less attention to their money following a smelly financial scandal in the 60s or 70s with Prince Bernhard. I think they consolidated palaces too and most of them are working palaces that host functions but aren’t lived in. Former Queen Beatrix lives in a cute octagonal moated castle which doesn’t look larger than an upper middle class house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452November 29, 2018 2:27 AM

Very funny r452

by Anonymousreply 453November 29, 2018 1:25 PM

The royals who still keep their titles even though their countries abolished their monarchies make me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 454November 29, 2018 2:16 PM

Letizia of Spain's huge tiara swamps her petite frame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455November 29, 2018 2:19 PM

Ah, that’s a first for Letizia I don’t think she’s worn that one yet. Looks grand but yes I think it overpowers her. Only Maxima can really pull off the big guns and not have them ‘wear her’ instead of wearing ‘them’. Camilla has that talent too.

by Anonymousreply 456November 29, 2018 2:50 PM

King Harald and Queen Sonja of Norway pose with their grandchildren.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 457November 29, 2018 2:55 PM

Where’s Marius?

by Anonymousreply 458November 29, 2018 3:54 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459November 29, 2018 5:17 PM

R459 here

Excuse me, but it appears that Marius was unable to complete even a year at Pepperdine. He is now in London, modeling perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 460November 29, 2018 5:18 PM

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark in Kenya. A colorful ensemble but not her best look. LOL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 461November 29, 2018 5:25 PM

Ugh, Haakon really brought trash into the family.

by Anonymousreply 462November 29, 2018 5:32 PM

Marius was receiving a lot of creepy attention when he was a young boy, the kind that German men like to give boys if you catch my drift. I think the royal family actually had to threaten media outlets.

by Anonymousreply 463November 29, 2018 5:51 PM

[QUOTE] Crown Princess Mary of Denmark in Kenya. A colorful ensemble but not her best look. LOL.

Cultural appropriation!!! I’m triggered!!!

by Anonymousreply 464November 29, 2018 6:15 PM

I love this. Crown Princess Victoria wearing a pantsuit for an official engagement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465November 29, 2018 7:07 PM

Three of those children are not Haakon’s but his sister Martha-Louise’s daughter, R462.

Marius is not the King’s grandchild, R458.

by Anonymousreply 466November 29, 2018 8:02 PM

^^^ *daughters

by Anonymousreply 467November 29, 2018 8:03 PM

Marius is bastard-born and his father is a former drug dealer who served time in prison.

by Anonymousreply 468November 30, 2018 12:34 AM

R463 Eh what do you mean exactly? What kind of attention? Sorry not familiar with germans or the attention they give "young boys"? Wtf...

by Anonymousreply 469November 30, 2018 3:24 AM

R468, a drug dealer Morten Borg may be, but an extremely handsome one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470November 30, 2018 3:55 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471November 30, 2018 1:58 PM

I had no idea there was so much messiness in Luxembourg, the world's largest gated community.

by Anonymousreply 472November 30, 2018 2:21 PM

She's acting as her own lawyer. That seems a bit odd.

by Anonymousreply 473November 30, 2018 2:28 PM

Not one of the DL royal experts, but I remember reading somewhere that the Thurn und Taxis are insanely wealthy, with a lot of that wealth going back to the Middle Ages, when they controlled the mail delivery and customs in the Holy Roman Empire and, therefore, most of Europe.

by Anonymousreply 474November 30, 2018 2:34 PM

Yes but when Johann died, Gloria TnT discovered they were heavily in debt so she took over to save the family fortune.

by Anonymousreply 475November 30, 2018 2:41 PM

R473 She cannot afford an attorney. She is fluent in French and German and English, and addressed the British judge in English.

by Anonymousreply 476November 30, 2018 2:49 PM

Is it true that former Belgian Queen -Queen Paola is deeply unpopular in her country for being haughty and aloof and her late sister in law Queen Fabiola much more had the nations affection and popularity?

by Anonymousreply 477November 30, 2018 3:08 PM

Is that Royal Foibles website still around? The webmaster was a bit know it allish, but lots of interesting anecdotes about European royalty. Last time I checked, it hadn’t been updated...

by Anonymousreply 478November 30, 2018 3:49 PM

I hadn't heard of that blog so I just read a few entries. The author had absolutely no use for Diana but the one piece I read about MM, seems like she's drinking the kool-aid (her readers are more skeptical). She does say that it was the Buc k House courtiers who "forced" Harry to quit the Army because he had studied for two years to fly Apache helicopters and they would not allow him to qualify so he quit. Sorry, just remembered this is the Euro royal thread, apologize for the derail.

by Anonymousreply 479November 30, 2018 4:22 PM

Are we limited to Europe? I adore the Japanese royal family

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480November 30, 2018 4:52 PM

^^ Japanese IMPERIAL family, r480

by Anonymousreply 481November 30, 2018 4:56 PM

R480, what does the fucking thread title say? Damn, some of y’all are thick as hell. Is Japan in Europe?

by Anonymousreply 482November 30, 2018 6:06 PM

R482 I was explicitly asking if we could expand the subject matter fool!

by Anonymousreply 483November 30, 2018 6:11 PM

Gloria Von Thurn und Taxis rescued the family fortune from ruin. Supposedly she quickly became a shrewd businesswoman and now they’re back in black. She opened the family schloss to the public and put a cafe in, and also sold some jewels to The Louvre...just a few small rocks once worn by The Empress Eugenie! She got a lot of money for them and I think she may still borrow them for occasions.

She’s supposed to have become a crazy conservative Catholic though, despite her hard drinking, nightclubbing, motorcycling, kinky youth with her equally kinky prince husband

by Anonymousreply 484November 30, 2018 6:13 PM

[quote]The royals who still keep their titles even though their countries abolished their monarchies make me laugh.

Once a prince du sang, always a prince du sang. It transcends country and throne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485November 30, 2018 6:22 PM

The future King of Prussia ^^^ is kinda hot with a beard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486November 30, 2018 6:57 PM

I know a German guy who works for Prinz Georg. You wouldn’t believe what this friend is into. Give you a hint.....scheiss!!!

by Anonymousreply 487November 30, 2018 7:18 PM

Schmutzig!!

by Anonymousreply 488November 30, 2018 7:33 PM

Prinz Ludwig (Louis) of Bavaria is a cutie.

And he looks pretty much like King Ludwig II, the one who used to built castles and got murdered by drowning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 489November 30, 2018 7:33 PM

Dutch Queen Maxima met Justin Trudeau at the G20 summit in Buenos Aires

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490November 30, 2018 9:00 PM

Gloria v. Thurn und Taxis has had a truly colorful life. All glam-punk, partying and everything until her husband died, and boom, she became a mousy but shrewd business woman. Quite catholic as mentioned earlier with a dash of racism. The racism isn't so much about white people ruling the world, but rather condescending-religious like 'let's take good care of all the poor people in Africa.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491December 1, 2018 3:18 AM

Princess Charlene of Monaco with her twins watching a rugby match. She can barely move her face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 492December 1, 2018 7:35 PM

Trout smile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 493December 1, 2018 7:36 PM

The royal twins of Monaco are growing up quickly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 494December 1, 2018 7:36 PM

In R493's she looks like fucking Vladimir Putin.

by Anonymousreply 495December 1, 2018 7:52 PM

At least she emotes when she's around her children and seems genuinely affectionate with them. They seem well bonded with her. As much as her marriage is a contractual business arrangement, she's probably trapped in that marriage and in Monaco until the twins come of age. I always felt bad for her after her attempted escape. Her wedding photos are for the ages.

by Anonymousreply 496December 1, 2018 8:46 PM

[QUOTE] the princely twins of Monaco

Fixed that for you

by Anonymousreply 497December 1, 2018 8:47 PM

R497, since you bring it up: I guess Monaco, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein are off topic in this thread then. I hope including these families didn't ruin too many datalounger's reading experience.

by Anonymousreply 498December 2, 2018 1:01 PM

Prince Frederik's cock!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499December 2, 2018 1:20 PM

Not at all R498. But royal is royal and princely is princely. I just like to make sure people are aware of the difference.

BTW- Luxembourg is royal. They were elevated from Grand Ducal Highness to Royal Highness when Princess Charlotte married Prince Felix of Bourbon Parma.

by Anonymousreply 500December 2, 2018 1:52 PM

The Danish Crown Princess Mary in Africa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 501December 2, 2018 4:08 PM

Mary the Dancing "Future" Queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502December 2, 2018 4:09 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503December 3, 2018 3:07 PM

The biggest jokes seem to be the former Greek "royal" family, including "Marie-Chantal of Greece." I don't know why the media plays along with that, since there is no longer a Greek royal family, merely pretenders to the throne.

by Anonymousreply 504December 3, 2018 3:13 PM

The King and Queen of the Belgians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505December 3, 2018 3:14 PM

Prince Sverre Magnus of Norway used to be a cute little blond boy and then he put on a lot of weight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506December 3, 2018 3:18 PM

The former Queen Sofia of Spain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507December 3, 2018 3:22 PM

The former Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508December 3, 2018 3:23 PM

R506 - another photo of the Prince with his sister, Princess Ingrid Alexandra.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509December 3, 2018 3:25 PM

Princess Ingrid is going to be gorgeous

by Anonymousreply 510December 3, 2018 7:03 PM

The rulers of Luxembourg have been held in higher esteem than pretty much any existing royal family in Europe. Their rule goes back to the Middle Ages, to the Holy Roman Empire. I think they are related to every existing (and former) European royal family. Windsors are basically nouveau riche trash compared to them.

by Anonymousreply 511December 3, 2018 7:16 PM

^^^ they’re well connected for sure. The current monarch is descended maternally from King Christian IX of Denmark as are the monarchs of The UK, Norway, Denmark, Spain, and Belgium plus the would-be monarchs of the former Greek and Romanian thrones. Paternally he’s descended from the House of Bourbon Parma which connects him to the family trees of probably every Catholic dynasty that ever existed in Europe. He’s even connected by marriage to Liechtenstein.

by Anonymousreply 512December 3, 2018 7:29 PM

R511, held in higher esteem by whom?

by Anonymousreply 513December 3, 2018 7:47 PM

R504 - They probably play along with it because Constantine's wife, Anne-Marie, is still a royal Princess of Denmark (she's Queen Margrethe's youngest sister and a bona fide HRH in her own right), and his sister, Sofia, is the Dowager Queen of Spain.

Put that together with Marie-Chantal's money (her father is Robert Miller, founder of Duty Free Shops, and a billionaire), and the press probably figures this is one of those "discretion is the better part of valour" situations.

I doubt very much that "Crown Prince" Pavlos would be able to keep up the princely facade he and his wife and children ape without Miller's money, and that was a primary consideration in Pavlos's choice of wife. It isn't as if the family got out of Greece after the coup that banished the monarchy with a vast family fortune.

by Anonymousreply 514December 3, 2018 9:10 PM

R511 - The Danish monarchy is said to be Europe's oldest monarchy, going back 1,000 years.

Whether the same family, the Glucksbergs, do may be another matter. But I always hear the Danish monarchy referred to as the oldest one in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 515December 3, 2018 9:14 PM

It’s just a tradition to keep the royal style even without a throne or even a country. It goes back even to the Holy Roman Empire, when the little German petty counties and duchies and principalities would engulf each other, the former ruler and his family were able to keep their dignity and marry others of same rank.

by Anonymousreply 516December 3, 2018 9:46 PM

R513 held in esteem by who? By Dataloungers, of course.

R515 Perhaps that is true, but they were living in filthy longhouses during the early monarchy, while English Monarchs were establishing patronage of artists and architects, and building lovely castles decorated with beautiful works of art.

by Anonymousreply 517December 3, 2018 9:57 PM

R517 - Actually, I know little of the history of the Danish monarchy in medieval times, but the fact is, the Vikings were quite an advanced culture for the time. They may not have been founding Oxford and Cambridge, but they did have seagoing adventurous culture worthy of some pride.

It isn't much known, I think, that Richard III and his wife were great patrons of the arts and learning and founded a college or library at one of the universities - I'm very fond of Richard, btw, who got such a raw deal from that much admired lying fuck Thomas More as he pandered to the very Tudors who eventually struck his head off, and thence from history.

They didn't tell you THAT in "A Man for All Seasons" did they?!

by Anonymousreply 518December 3, 2018 10:05 PM

R491 Interesting is putting it mildly. VERY catholic and conservative (as in would support the re-criminalization of homosexuality if she had the chance I suspect), which is odd considering her very gay cirlce of friends and the fact she and her late husband were/are both gay. She was a few month pregnant with their first child when they got married, a rumor was that Johananes needed to 'try' and see if he could do his 'duty' with her before he decided to make her his wife - clearly he was able to get it up that time. Some write him as being bisexual, but I dont really buy it. Seems to have been exclusively interested in men, only marrying to provide an heir for the TNT fortune (for tax reasons his father or grandfather decided to skip a generation or two so he needed a son..complicated, but you can look it up). No history of women before or after his marriage to Gloria, but plenty of stories of his love for guys. She is a yoyo dieter. Still dresses kooky form time to time, esp with her jewelry and glasses. Her sister Maya was married to Mick Flick (Billionaire? Merceedes heir) they divorced but are still very close. Have a very disabled daugther and a couple of hot sons. Maya was a long time and somewhat 'public' mistress of Lord Rothschild in recent years, dont know if they are still in a relationship. Gloria herself is descended from great noble families from both her fathers, and mothers side (but zero money at all). Her brother is married to Princess Irene of Prussia. Good 'aristocratic' match, a couple of roumors he is partial to dick also. Only the eldest daughter is married, the other two kids arent. Which is strange considering. I mean Elizabeth is what, 36?

by Anonymousreply 519December 3, 2018 10:36 PM

R519 sorry *Irina of Hesse is who her brother is married to

by Anonymousreply 520December 3, 2018 10:43 PM

R518 Thomas Moore got what he deserved, as he delighted in burning alive many people who dared turn away from the corrupt Church.

Richard III was a courageous warrior who fought bravely and constantly on behalf of his brother Edward IV. HIs scoliosis was mild, and I have observed his skeletal model myself at the museum in Leicester and can confirm that. He grew up with Anne Neville and they seemed a love match. Despite that she was the daughter of the great traitor Warwick the Kingmaker, Richard made sure she was buried with top royalty in Westminster Abbey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 521December 3, 2018 11:11 PM

Poor Queen Max has the Ginger Rogers Syndrome....a covering of peach fuzz on her face.

by Anonymousreply 522December 3, 2018 11:42 PM

I remember reading hushed whispers that Gloria’s deceased prince husband was into young males. Like, very young. And Michael Jackson used to visit the castle, so

by Anonymousreply 523December 3, 2018 11:43 PM

Queen Sofia really is homely.

by Anonymousreply 524December 3, 2018 11:45 PM

R521 - I believe Richard also gave up some of Anne's very considerable dowry in order to marry her, as his brother, George (Duke of Clarence who really was drowned in a butt of malmsey) was married to Anne's older sister and tried to stop the marriage so he could hold onto the entire inheritance. I believe his name is still respected in the North, of which he was a conscientious steward.

And the Tudors went on persecuting the Yorks for a couple of centuries because they knew the Yorks had the better claim and they were always nervous of a challenge.

by Anonymousreply 525December 4, 2018 12:28 AM

Sofia was homely as a young bride, her sister Irene was much sexier. Then in the late 70s and into the 80s Sofia developed a somewhat MILFY look, wearing her hair in a winged disco style and wearing some makeup. But now she’s an old German frau. Yes, German.

by Anonymousreply 526December 4, 2018 12:34 AM

But she's wearing a lovely tiara in that photo posted at r507

by Anonymousreply 527December 4, 2018 12:51 AM

Sverre Magnus looks like his grandfather, Harald. And Ingrid Alexandra is growing into a beauty.

re Constantine of Greece: he is tolerated mostly because of his family connections and because of Anne Marie, who is very well liked by most. Pavlos and MC have gone the way of tacky, uber-rich Eurotrash, their kids included; but 2nd son Nikolaos and his younger wife Tatiana have set up home in Greece and do charity work full-time there, on a limited budget (for royals). They live relatively humbly there and -gasp- speak the language fluently.

If they ever do restore the monarchy in Greece by some rare chance, I guarantee it will be Nik who gets the crown and not Pavlos or his grasping wife.

by Anonymousreply 528December 4, 2018 2:06 AM

I don’t see a restoration in Greece, at least not with the German (sorry ‘Danish’) royal family they had.

by Anonymousreply 529December 4, 2018 2:10 AM

I don't either r529, but by some far off chance they do, it will be Nik who's tapped for it and NOT Pavlos.

by Anonymousreply 530December 4, 2018 2:14 AM

I’ve been following royal events for decades so my predictions for possible restorations, in order of likelihood:

1. Montenegro

2. Albania

3. Serbia

4. Romania

Montenegro is a monarchy basically, except in name. The Crown Prince is salaried and has an official role. He has use of the royal palaces and has the right to fly the royal standard at official events. Same with Romania, although I don’t think the royal family is popular. If anything, the hot grandson who was stripped of his title (after only having it a few years) should be the monarch, not the frauey daughters of the late king.

by Anonymousreply 531December 4, 2018 2:15 AM

r531 I'm interested in those countries' monarchies, could you type up small summaries of their current royal situations and who is in line to be monarch?

I get Montenegro confused with Serbia. Which one has the Crown Prince married to Princess Katherine? They seem to be active in Euro royal circles - I think this the former Yugoslavian royal fam.

by Anonymousreply 532December 4, 2018 2:26 AM

An interesting titbit about the Albanian monarchy is that the public voted to restore it in the 90s by quite a large percentage, but the ex-communists running the vote rigged it. They admitted this a couple of years ago but the referendum has never been re-run.

I suspect Romania's window has passed with the death of the King, who got a full state funeral.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 533December 4, 2018 11:25 AM

There was a couple of articles about Constantine back in the 90s about how popular he was with the other royal families especially the British. Like, he was invited to all their parties, was named as a godparent frequently, was consulted about things, gave investment advice. This was probably in Vanity Fair. I thought, well good for him, he's landed on his feet, made a new life.

Then about ten years later, there was another article which talked about how he would travel around visiting communities that had a large expat Greek population, Montreal was the one mentioned, and the locals would host him and also give him money. Maybe it was money to invest for them? or maybe it was just money to support his lifestyle. It was a little creepy. These were not wealthy, sophisticated people but people who owned small businesses. Basically it was the opposite story to the earlier ones which implied he had got out of Greece with all his money.

Then there was the blog post linked up thread which describes another Greek guy being the go-between to arrange the marriage of the oldest son to Marie-Chantal and it's her father's money that is supporting them now.

by Anonymousreply 534December 4, 2018 1:20 PM

R531 - Aren't the Romanian royals the ones with the absolutely gigantic men?

by Anonymousreply 535December 4, 2018 3:04 PM

Serbia, R535.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 536December 4, 2018 3:12 PM

The Romanian royal family is almost all women. The late King had five daughters, four of which are divorcees and one of which was indicted in a cock fighting racket in America. The one man in the family (other than the oldest daughters husband) is the late king’s handsome (and only) grandson, who was born common, then made royal, then stripped of his title when he allegedly gathered an illegitimate child. The gossip though is that was just a smokescreen, and that the crown princess husband Prince Radu just wanted him out of the picture because he was gaining popularity whereas Crown Princess Margarita didn’t enjoy the same. Not that she’s a bad person, but her marriage to Radu was unpopular and she also had an episode of poor health which they’ve never gone public with.

by Anonymousreply 537December 4, 2018 3:14 PM

King Philippe and Queen Mathilde of Belgium celebrate 19 years of marriage. I love this video of their wedding. When they say "yes", the crowd cheers outside and everyone inside smiles and laughs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 538December 4, 2018 3:30 PM

R536 - Ah, thanks. I knew it was one of the Balkan families.

I find the Balkans very interesting as a region.

I keep remembering what Queen Mary said upon Edward's abdication (yes, this does relate to European royals): "Really! This might be Romania!"

by Anonymousreply 539December 4, 2018 3:35 PM

I love that quote too, she did say that.

by Anonymousreply 540December 4, 2018 3:40 PM

Peter II of Yugoslavia was quite hot. The alcoholism aged him horribly though, and he died in his late 40s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541December 4, 2018 3:41 PM

Hot to whom r541?

He looks like an extra from DELIVERANCE.

by Anonymousreply 542December 4, 2018 3:43 PM

I’ll take the fifth man on the right in the r536 photo.

by Anonymousreply 543December 4, 2018 3:44 PM

Princess Charlene of Monaco speaking French.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 544December 4, 2018 5:37 PM

Princess Alice of Battenberg was a mensch.

Later, during the Holocaust, Princess Alice of Battenberg, the mother of Philip, the duke of Edinburgh and husband of the current Queen Elizabeth, volunteered to hide a Jewish family in her Athens palace, using her deafness to frustrate Gestapo questioning after the Germans became suspicious of her activities. For saving Rachel and Tilde Cohen, she was recognized in 1993 by Yad Vashem as one of the Righteous Among the Nations. A year later Philip came to Jerusalem to plant a tree in her honor at Yad Vashem and visit her crypt at the Church of Mary Magdalene on the Mount of Olives.

by Anonymousreply 545December 4, 2018 11:19 PM

R545 - I believe Princess Alice lived quietly in Buck House till the end of her life, having taken religious orders. I do feel as if I remember that I read a quote from the always tactless Philip to the effect that the Queen was fonder of his mother than of her own. The Queen Mum, whose charm was legendary, was not the easiest person behind the scenes, always sweetly and charmingly getting her own way - the original iron fist in the velvet glove. But by all accounts, the Queen got on wonderfully with, and was deeply fond of her mother in law.

That's a lovely story about the Cohens, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 546December 5, 2018 12:56 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 547December 5, 2018 9:35 PM

Meanwhile in Belgium, Queen Mathilde looks like a giant here. Love her print top.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548December 6, 2018 3:15 PM

Two Belgian Kings and one Queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 549December 6, 2018 3:16 PM

Princess Sofia of Sweden turns 34.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550December 6, 2018 3:17 PM

Thats a lovely photo but is she sitting on a heating grate?

by Anonymousreply 551December 6, 2018 3:21 PM

Princess Mary of Denmark in Latvia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 552December 6, 2018 4:43 PM

Queen Mathilda supposedly wore a knee brace on her wedding day. What was wrong with her.

by Anonymousreply 553December 6, 2018 4:50 PM

Car accident. She was in the same car with her grandmother, who was killed.

by Anonymousreply 554December 6, 2018 5:56 PM

Her granny was a Polish princess from a very old House

by Anonymousreply 555December 6, 2018 5:57 PM

R534, thanks. Constantine and his brood are freeloaders and grifters. After his removal as king, he freeloaded across Europe, begging more from Greek royalists and getting handouts from relatives. He fell into a tub of butter, when his son married the Duty-Free girl, whose estimated family fortune is $2.8 billion today. There were some rumors some years ago that her father liked men.

by Anonymousreply 556December 6, 2018 7:37 PM

Constantine also received a $200m dowry for Marie Chantal.

by Anonymousreply 557December 6, 2018 8:24 PM

Constantine and Anne-Marie got out with the family jewels too. She has a particularly splendid emerald parure, and a ruby parure to die for. Old imperial jewels. Never had to sell them somehow.

by Anonymousreply 558December 6, 2018 8:40 PM

I vaguely remember when the junta was overthrown, he returned to Greece expecting a warm welcome (and a return to power?) and the Greeks basically said no thanks and made him leave again. Not sure if I'm remembering that correctly.

by Anonymousreply 559December 6, 2018 9:09 PM

Good! Why would ethnic Greeks want a German king?

by Anonymousreply 560December 6, 2018 10:40 PM

How long does a family have to be in a country before they're considered to be from there, R560?

by Anonymousreply 561December 6, 2018 10:56 PM

The Spanish royals at an event to celebrate the 40th anniversay of the Constitution.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562December 7, 2018 2:46 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 563December 7, 2018 6:13 PM

That blue coat/skirt/shoes are lovely but girl, put on some boots.

by Anonymousreply 564December 7, 2018 7:21 PM

Whomever it may be is a dumbass if they are trudging through snow in stilettos.

by Anonymousreply 565December 7, 2018 7:29 PM

R562 I hope the divorced and remarried abortion proponent Letizia is not encouraging her daughters to adopt her anorectic eating patterns. They both look quite thin. This is not uncommon for anorectic mothers to encourage their daughters to adopt restrictive diets.

by Anonymousreply 566December 7, 2018 11:25 PM

R560 - Actually, the imported Greek monarchy was Danish, although there are ties there also to German royals, invited to take the throne at a time of considerable instability. The junta that unseated the monarchy didn't do so out of ethnic concerns, but political ones.

The really interesting Hanoverian character in the 20th century Greek monarchical drama was Constantine's mother, Queen Frederika, born a Princess of Hanover and Great Britain and Ireland, and notorious for her undemocratic and what we would call today far-right beliefs. She visited London in the early 1960s and was chased down a street by a mob of Greek leftists protesting the treatment of Greek prisoners of war in the civil war then raging in Greece.

She was quite the Dragon Lady - her eldest daughter, Queen Sofia of Spain, is a watered down version of her mother.

That's where the real German fascist bone in the Greek monarchy was buried.

by Anonymousreply 567December 7, 2018 11:54 PM

Letizia is such an unsuitable queen.

by Anonymousreply 568December 7, 2018 11:56 PM

R564 et al., on Mary's footwear - after 14 years living in Copenhagen and carrying out engagements throughout the Danish winter, Mary probably didn't give it another thought.

Her coat is gorgeous. A true powder blue is surprisingly hard to come by - most of the time it's really a watered down hue approximating. There probably isn't any woman of any colour or ethnic persuation whose complexion isn't flattered by it.

It looks wonderful with her dark hair.

by Anonymousreply 569December 7, 2018 11:58 PM

R569 - speaking of Mary, her father and stepmother are in Denmark and attended a Christmas concert with her family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570December 9, 2018 5:11 PM

Princess Sofia of Sweden at a Christmas market with her eldest son, Prince Alexander.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571December 9, 2018 5:12 PM

Anyone who has issue with Meghan should take a look at Sofia to see how low royalty can go.

by Anonymousreply 572December 9, 2018 6:23 PM

R572 - Sofia has done pretty well for herself and barely puts a foot wrong since joining the Swedish royal family unlike you know who.

by Anonymousreply 573December 9, 2018 6:59 PM

Sofia and Meghan are both fine. Both of Sofia’s kids look just like her

by Anonymousreply 574December 9, 2018 7:03 PM

I think Alexander looks like Carl Philip (brown eyes) and Gabriel looks like Sofia (blue eyes).

by Anonymousreply 575December 9, 2018 7:05 PM

Nobel Prize days through the years. Jewels and gowns galore!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576December 9, 2018 7:07 PM

R572 - Point taken, and certainly both Sofia and Mette-Marit beg questions of the concept of royalty no less than Meghan Markle does.

The difference is that once inside the Golden Circle, Sofia and Mette-Marit knew they had to support the side by behaving accordingly. So far, Meghan Markle has seen fit to stick two fingers up to the very people who let her in.

I cannot imagine either Sofia or Mette-Marit throwing a tantrum over which tiara their redoubtable mothers-in-law were prepared to lend them for their weddings.

by Anonymousreply 577December 10, 2018 1:50 AM

R576 This evening again in Stockholm. Madeline won’t be there, because she is back in US with her family. She is the one who will gladly spend given money without duties.

by Anonymousreply 578December 10, 2018 3:49 AM

What happens when ex King Constantine dies? Will Crown Prince Pavlos/Marie Chantal then be referred to as "King /Queen"? Will there be some sort of ceremony where Pavlos is "crowned" (even though he would be a King without a country?)

by Anonymousreply 579December 10, 2018 5:12 AM

R579 - They will undoubtedly parade themselves about as King Pavlos and Queen Marie, but I doubt very much there will be any sort of ceremony. It would attract jeers so loud they could be heard on Pluto.

by Anonymousreply 580December 10, 2018 1:10 PM

The princely twins of Monaco - Jacques and Gabriella - are four years old today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581December 10, 2018 1:48 PM

The princely twins had a Superhero party. Click for more photos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 582December 10, 2018 1:50 PM

The Infantas of Spain - Leonor and Sofia - often wear color coordinated outfits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 583December 10, 2018 1:54 PM

Same style, different dresses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 584December 10, 2018 1:54 PM

Gabriella looks just like Charlene.

by Anonymousreply 585December 10, 2018 2:36 PM

Queen Sonja and Crown Princess Mette-Marit at the Nobel ceremony.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 586December 10, 2018 3:25 PM

The Swedish Royal Family family at their Nobel ceremony.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 587December 10, 2018 3:26 PM

Yikes, Victoria’s dress

by Anonymousreply 588December 10, 2018 3:39 PM

R588 - her mother Queen Silvia wore this Nina Ricci gown in 1995.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 589December 10, 2018 3:42 PM

Princess Sofia of Sweden wore red.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590December 10, 2018 3:43 PM

Queen Silvia wore a green lace dress to the Nobel ceremony. She used to be a pretty woman until she ruined her looks with plastic surgery. Her trout mouth looks like she's had a stroke. A damn shame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591December 10, 2018 3:45 PM

The Spanish Royals have released their Christmas card. Click on the link to view their signatures in the second photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 592December 10, 2018 3:47 PM

Is Sofia pregnant again or is that a weird angle?

The Spanish princesses look like twins

by Anonymousreply 593December 10, 2018 3:51 PM

I love that Nina Ricci gown. It's a breath of fresh air compared to what the royals usually choose.

by Anonymousreply 594December 10, 2018 3:53 PM

R591 I think she went to Brazil too often.

by Anonymousreply 595December 10, 2018 4:13 PM

Victoria looks like a milkmaid, Sylvia looks like she's been in a car crash, and Sofia looks like a stripper at a fancy dress party.

by Anonymousreply 596December 10, 2018 4:19 PM

R596 - Sofia must be a VERY HIGH CLASS stripper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597December 10, 2018 4:48 PM

Another thread?

by Anonymousreply 598December 10, 2018 4:50 PM

Queen Maxima's huge blue coat makes her look bigger than she actually is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 599December 10, 2018 4:51 PM

R598 - yes, another thread is needed.

by Anonymousreply 600December 10, 2018 4:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!