Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jamie Lee Curtis - Oscar Contender For Halloween

Will she take one of the five spots for lead actress this year at the Oscars?

Her name is now being bandied about as an Oscar contender.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 25, 2018 1:02 AM

It would if she got nominated and beat Lady Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2018 3:12 AM

I saw her on The Graham Norton show recently and she was beyond obnoxious. Cutting other guests off, making everything about her and thinking she was cute and funny when she wasn't. However, she looks fabulous and has aged very well without the aid of a plastic surgeon.

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2018 3:23 AM

Oh my, if G lost to Jamie Lee, in a horror movie...for god sakes! Hahahahahaha

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2018 3:45 AM

If Gaga even gets nominated, it's official that the Oscars mean exactly jack and shit. ASIB was basically one big Gaga music video, and the girl pulled off her role adequately, but there is no depth, no soul to her "acting." I read somewhere that she is extremely, heavily medicated, a shell of her former self, and you can see it in her eyes. Jamie Lee did an excellent job in "Halloween," and it was incredible to actually see her on the big screen, no makeup, no work done on her face, wrinkles and all, looking exactly her age and exactly how Laurie Strode would look after 40 years of PTSD. For that alone she should get a nomination. After all, Nicole Kidman won an Oscar for simply wearing a prosthetic nose.

by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2018 3:56 AM

JLC career is decent enough and I enjoy her in many of the films that span her career but I'm not much of a fan of her real life self. She irritates me but if she gets a lot of good notices for this I'm happy for her anyway since I think she overall succeeds in roles she takes on.

by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2018 6:42 AM

This is so old Hollywood. First, whoever is living this shit still thinks the Oscar is all that Hollywood stands for, and that these kinds of nominations are things you throw to Hollywood veterans or newcomers to make the Oscars seem to have "heart". Even if it were to happen, the idea that Jamie Lee Curtis had "finally achieved Oscar greatness" for landing a nomination in a reboot of a tacky horror film is the kind of stuff that "entertainment journalists" and publicists" love, the kind of stuff some talentless entertainment "news anchors" will drool over and pretend "wow this could happen!" for a while?

But with all the great work out there, to give one of five nominations to an aging Hollywood veteran (alongside another one for a pop star) would just go to prove how fucked up that awards show is. Can you imagine Jamie Lee Curtis trying to be dignified through the whole thing?

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2018 7:03 AM

"If Gaga even gets nominated, it's official that the Oscars mean exactly jack and shit. "

I feel like I read this exact thing every year on here.

Well, the name of the performer changes, but still.

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2018 8:15 AM

Lady Gaga was sublime in ASIB. Of course she will be nominated. She is breathtakingly beautiful and a tremendous actress.

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2018 8:27 AM

Jamie Lee always comes across as stand offish and aloof in interviews. Oh, and the only award she'll be nominated for in Halloween is a Blockbuster Award.

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2018 12:26 PM

GURL, NO!

The bipolar movie maniac is on a tear. ENOUGH HALLOWEEN THREADS ALREADY!!!

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2018 5:04 PM

[quote]Jamie Lee did an excellent job in "Halloween," and it was incredible to actually see her on the big screen, no makeup, no work done on her face, wrinkles and all, looking exactly her age and exactly how Laurie Strode would look after 40 years of PTSD. For that alone she should get a nomination.

This.

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2018 7:48 PM

JLT is obnoxious in every single appearance. She was beyond rude when she appeared on "The Chew". Can't stand the bitch.

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2018 7:52 PM

JLC is just OCD! lol.

Seriously though, I like her. She doesn't put on heirs as much as she's just assertive and, again, self admittedly OCD.

by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2018 7:55 PM

My favorite scene for humor in ASIB was when Bradley Cooper was gazing at GAGA’s nose and talking about her beautiful nose and realizing that both Cooper and GaGa have had their noses chopped/chiseled.....it made the whole scene laughable...

by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2018 7:57 PM

It's interesting when you see top tier actresses like Maggie Smith and Judi Dench (everyone should see TEA WITH THE DAMES) and they come off as humble and would never dream of bragging about their work and then you see Jamie Lee Curtis interviewed and coming off like she's one of the greatest actresses on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2018 8:09 PM

[quote]She doesn't put on heirs

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2018 8:10 PM

JLC drawing parallels to metoo and Halloween was beyond the pale. She comes off as so self-satisified and self-enamored. She can’t handle her cleverness. So smug and arrogant. An Oscar nomination would make red carpet season with her on the circuit a hellscape.

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2018 12:22 AM

R17 Peter Travers drew the comparison first in his review. Why shouldn't she piggy back on it?

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2018 12:25 AM

Gaga is such a shoo-in not only for a nomination, but the win that I can’t imagine some would even suggest she won’t receive one of the five slots.

As for JLC, I think she has a decent shot at a nomination. Veteran in a hit movie not wearing any make up? Hard to pass that story up.

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2018 12:35 AM

I will not be happy if she steals Toni Collete’s much more deserved nomination for Hereditary. I cannot see the Academy giving a nod to 2 actresses from - shriek! - horror films.

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2018 12:40 AM

Like they are going to give a nom to an actress who plays an xth iteration of the same role, in a sequel. In a slasher series.

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2018 12:46 AM

What's with all the Jamie Lee hate? She has had a long career and given consistently strong performances, and should have been nominated for True Lies and at least, Freaky Friday.

But Halloween is one of her best performances. The movie hitting #1 isn't simply because of Michael Myers; it's also because of Jamie Lee returning.

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2018 12:47 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2018 1:15 AM

Enough with the Oscar talk. This was not an Oscar-worthy performance. This is a slasher movie, people.

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2018 1:19 AM

But...but this is the first film to capture the MeToo zeitgeist!

by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2018 1:26 AM

I hope she gets nominated over Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2018 2:05 AM

I love her personality. She is forthright, self-confident, outspoken, has a sense of humour when it is called for, does not give a toss what anyone thinks, and is not a fucking idiot like most actresses. Her husband Christopher Guest is actually one of the surliest, most unpleasant people in the business; she has likely had to develop a tough skin to deal with his bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2018 3:25 AM

R27, I'll have you know I'm young as springtime and twice as fresh!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2018 3:49 AM

I think she's an ok actress and I love that she's a strong, confident woman who looks great for her age or any age but in interviews she comes across as rather smug and very rude when she talks over the host or other guests. It's as if hers is the only voice she hears. And I hated her in that sitcom with Richard Lewis where she always looked like she was on the verge of cracking up at the other actors.

by Anonymousreply 29October 24, 2018 1:00 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 24, 2018 1:05 PM

She would have a better shot in supporting but I think Olivia Colman might be nominated here to get her away from the Close Gaga match up. Love Jamie but really didn’t see anything Oscar worthy in her performance.

by Anonymousreply 31October 24, 2018 1:13 PM

Jamie Lee Curtis won a Best Actress BAFTA for Trading Places! I know, I can't believe it either.

by Anonymousreply 32October 24, 2018 1:31 PM

JLC would be worthier than Lady Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 33October 24, 2018 3:18 PM

This is jokeish. The film was for dumb moviegoers who think that spending a lifetime hiding in a fortress terrified and surrounded by guns is empowering. There is nothing empowering about that. Laurie lost her kid and husbands and any semblance of a normal life waiting for the worst to happen and pouring hundreds of thousands into a house she then torches. That’s not badass. It’s insane. Jamie Lee is trying to make this movie a triumph, but the real triumph was in H2O with Laurie Strode being a mom and a headmaster and having a relationship. She was wary and kept Josh Hartnett on a tight leash, but she went on with her life. Laurie the Hermit out in the woods for forty years alone- sad. I didn’t even see any dogs. Why would t you have a few big dogs for company? Why not move away? This flick is a girlpower fail.

by Anonymousreply 34October 24, 2018 5:36 PM

Gaga is getting nominated. Accept it elders.

by Anonymousreply 35October 24, 2018 5:54 PM

I hear Faye Dunaway is now an Oscar contender for her Gucci campaign short film.

YAY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 24, 2018 7:33 PM

I love her but if she couldn't make the cut for "...Wanda", then no prayer here.

by Anonymousreply 37October 24, 2018 7:37 PM

R36 As what?

Best Supporting Actor?

by Anonymousreply 38October 24, 2018 7:57 PM

I love her but she's a bit of a loony tune. I saw several of her seemingly million interviews for this film and in each one she seems strangely overly proud of her work in this film. And her story about the day the crew wore, "We are ALL Laurie Strode" buttons--and how, as she recalled it, she began tearing up-- was nauseating and embarrassing.

That said, she'd be guaranteed to give an acceptance speech that would top Sally Field's "You like me" a thousand times over.

by Anonymousreply 39October 24, 2018 8:09 PM

She'll get an Oscar when she plays a Hermaphrodite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 24, 2018 10:02 PM

Natalie Portman is being considered for a FOURTH Oscar nomination, and people are griping because Jamie Lee is getting buzz for one?

Perspective, people.

[quote]This was not an Oscar-worthy performance. This is a slasher movie, people.

A good performance is a good performance. And at least it's in a movie that people have watched. Which 90% of the recent Best Picture winners can't say.

by Anonymousreply 41October 24, 2018 10:09 PM

R41 Amen to that!

by Anonymousreply 42October 25, 2018 1:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!