Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Ask him about the cemeteries, Dean!"

In 1966 upon being told that President Charles DeGaulle had taken France out of NATO and that all U.S. troops must be evacuated off of French soil President Lyndon Johnson mentioned to Secretary of State Dean Rusk that he should ask DeGaulle about the Americans buried in France. Dean implied in his answer that that DeGaulle should not really be asked that in the meeting at which point President Johnson then told Secretary of State Dean Rusk:

"Ask him about the cemeteries Dean!"

That made it into a Presidential Order so he had to ask President DeGaulle.

So at end of the meeting Dean did ask DeGaulle if his order to remove all U.S. troops from French soil also included the 60,000+ soldiers buried in France from World War I and World War II.

DeGaulle, embarrassed, got up and left and never answered.”

by Anonymousreply 64October 23, 2018 4:44 PM

???????????????????????

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2018 1:14 AM

What's your point, OP? Is this meant as an LBJ tribute?

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2018 1:18 AM

I’m watching Ken Burns series The War, about WWII, and came upon that quote while reading along. I just thought it was a gutsy thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2018 1:24 AM

Readers’ Digest

Mother forwarded emails

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2018 3:10 AM

Ha good on him. The French never met a war they could not run from

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2018 3:15 AM

LBJ played hardball. I wish more Democrats were like him right about now....

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2018 3:19 AM

[quote]The French never met a war they could not run from

They ran TO the American Revolution and helped us win it.

So fuck you, you ignorant fool.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2018 3:25 AM

R7 Like the whole world revolves around you constant war losers? You kids can never win a win ob your own

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2018 3:39 AM

Is R8 really taunting the French about losing a war in Vietnam?

My god, Americans can be so fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2018 3:40 AM

I think think that R8 was expressing an anti American war view there R9

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2018 3:51 AM

R10 You're right.

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2018 3:53 AM

R10 More they cannot win any war now, as they are not really wars but police actions.

R9 Vietnam was never a war love, learn some american history

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2018 3:54 AM

[quote]Vietnam was never a war love, learn some American history

Yeah, tell that to all the people who died, love.

by Anonymousreply 13October 21, 2018 3:55 AM

Why is this a thread?

Who gives a shit?

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2018 4:07 AM

I love R4.

That was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2018 4:22 AM

R9 Girls, girls! You [italic]both[/italic] lost the war with Vietnam!

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2018 4:36 AM

Ken Burns, the Hallmark card of History? No thank you, I'd prefer to kill myself than watch Ken fucking Burns.

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2018 4:43 AM

All of these positive comments on LBJ? Jesus. Yes I'm an eldergay. How quickly all is forgotten. Johnson was as corrupt as Trump. Fingers in big oil, mob, dirty Texas money. Had the FBI and CIA emasculated. Like Trump, he ignored almost every agency of the government and operated as a slimy quasi dictator. Like Trump, shit on the media. And didn't care a bit about the decorum the office requires. Such as taking shits w the door open as male and female staffers were present.

by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2018 4:48 AM

R18 LBJ's Voting Rights Act gave the Dems a semi level playing field in the South. Since it's abolition. The Repugs are back to their old purge the rolls tricks. Give LBJ credit where credit is do.

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2018 5:54 AM

Oh dear'ing R19's entire post.

by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2018 10:14 AM

IIRC, the US helped France develop its nuclear bomb. Even a larger concern.

Still, it’s one of the snarkiest diplomatic remarks I can recall ever having been made.

by Anonymousreply 21October 21, 2018 1:35 PM

Has anyone here been to those cemeteries? We went to several near the Normandy beaches on a tour during the 65th anniversary of the landings. They are heartbreaking to see with row upon row of the names and dates of young guys on the markers who died so young - when you see "1926 - 1944" you can only wonder what might have been had they made it home. The cemeteries are incredibly well-maintained by the American Battle Monuments Commission. When we were there, they were filled with reverent, polite French kids, looking to be of high-school age, in school groups. Someone is reminding them of their nation's past.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 21, 2018 2:37 PM

Agreed R6. The last great Democratic president your country ever had. Repubs went dirty and Dems went soft.

by Anonymousreply 23October 21, 2018 3:00 PM

Picked this info up the other day and thought that you’d enjoy this. It’s one you might want your children and grandchildren to remember. They won’t believe this could have happened “way back then,” but it actually did!

“Harry Truman was a different kind of president. He probably made as many, or more important decisions regarding our nation’s history as any of the other 42 presidents preceding him. However, a measure of his greatness may rest on what he did after he left the White House.

The only asset he had when he died was the house he lived in. His wife had inherited the house from her mother and father and other than their years in the White House, they lived their entire lives there. When he retired from office in 1952 his income was a U.S. Army pension reported to have been $13,507.72 a year. Congress, noting that he was paying for his stamps and personally licking them, granted him an ‘allowance’ and later a pension of $25,000 per year. After President Eisenhower was inaugurated, Harry and Bess drove home to Missouri by themselves. There was no Secret Service following them.

When offered corporate positions at large salaries, he declined, stating, ‘You don’t want me . . . you want the office of President, and that doesn’t belong to me . . . it belongs to the American people and it’s not for sale.”

Even later when Congress was preparing to award him the Medal of Honor, he refused to accept it, writing, “I don’t consider that I have done anything which should be the reason for any award, Congressional or otherwise.”

As president he paid for all of his own travel expenses and food.

Modern politicians have found a new level of success in cashing in on the presidency, resulting in untold wealth. Today, many in Congress also have found a way to become quite wealthy while enjoying the fruits of their offices. Political offices are now for sale.

Good old Harry Truman was correct when he observed, ‘My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a house of prostitution, or a politician. And to tell the truth, there’s hardly any difference!” The writer of this information concluded saying, “Let’s dig him up and clone him!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 21, 2018 4:44 PM

I didn't know we had military bases in France, 11 major ones until 1966-7.

by Anonymousreply 25October 21, 2018 4:54 PM

I think the major American cemeteries in France are legally American territory, some how.

by Anonymousreply 26October 21, 2018 9:50 PM

While on French territory, they're a hosted facility nominally under the auspices of the American Battles Monuments Commissions. Whenever there's a US government shutdown - these cemeteries are also closed.

by Anonymousreply 27October 21, 2018 9:56 PM

The VA, apparently, is recording all of their graves online on the findagrave site. I found my uncle on there. Also my Dad’s best friend.

by Anonymousreply 28October 21, 2018 10:36 PM

Charles Egbert Stanton served as an aide to General John J. Pershing during World War I. He is best known for having included the memorable expression "Lafayette, we are here!" in a speech he gave in Paris during the First World War.

Moving tribute, huh?

by Anonymousreply 29October 21, 2018 10:40 PM

R21: And then the French helped the Israelis develop their bomb.

by Anonymousreply 30October 21, 2018 10:53 PM

[quote] Also my Dad’s best friend.

Who was the top?

by Anonymousreply 31October 21, 2018 11:07 PM

[quote] Moving tribute, huh?

He seems like a good egg.

by Anonymousreply 32October 21, 2018 11:08 PM

What does that have to do with Paul, the super dreamy waiter who took care of us last night at my fave restaurant ?

by Anonymousreply 33October 21, 2018 11:09 PM

It always amazes me that France lost TWO successive generations of men, but are considered weak and spineless. This has to be anglo in origin.

Help me out, here. The government was pretty schizophrenic throughout the 19th century, correct?

by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2018 11:16 PM

It’s actually a more savvy question that might first appear in that it speaks to the reality that only a transatlantic partnership saved France from yet a Third World War on her sole.

by Anonymousreply 35October 21, 2018 11:19 PM

How is this playing hardball? DeGaulle did quit NATO and remove American troops. The cemetery remark comes across as whiney.

by Anonymousreply 36October 21, 2018 11:28 PM

R19, it would be best if you NEVER commented again. Certainly on the politics of the south.

by Anonymousreply 37October 21, 2018 11:28 PM

[quote] LBJ's Voting Rights Act gave the Dems a semi level playing field in the South. Since it's abolition. The Repugs are back to their old purge the rolls tricks. Give LBJ credit where credit is do.

R19 It occurs to me that you aren't smart enough or interested enough to actually go learn what is wrong with your statement. Prior to the passage of the Voting Rights Act, the southern US was solidly owned by the Democratic Party. A Republican couldn't get elected dog catcher in the south. The southern racists hated LBJ for pushing the Voting Rights Act and they moved to the Republican Party.

Prior to the Voting Rights Act most southern blacks were Republicans since all the racists were southern Democrats, also called Dixiecrats. The Voting Rights Act destroyed Democrats chances in the south since then.

by Anonymousreply 38October 21, 2018 11:39 PM

Thank you, [R37, R38]!!!

by Anonymousreply 39October 21, 2018 11:54 PM

R34, France didn’t lose a second generation. It’s second war lasted only 6 weeks, IIRC.

I think it was the swiftness of their WWII surrender that gave France a bad reputation. Plus, not having an English speaking spokesman, to defend their honor.

by Anonymousreply 40October 22, 2018 12:03 AM

R28, are you sure?

There are government websites listing burials made to veteran cemeteries in the US. And another government website for veterans buried overseas.

Are you certain the VA would duplicate the information into findagrave.com?

Some people may be adding the information to findagrave.com. Are you sure that the owner of the entries on findagrave.com is the VA?

This is the search page on the government website for the oversears listings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 22, 2018 12:08 AM

And this is the government website search page for National Veteran Burials

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 22, 2018 12:09 AM

R36, LBJ was saying, “we saved your ass twice in 50 years, at the cost of American lives, you ungrateful [italic] connard, [/italic] and don’t you forget it.” I wouldn’t call that “hardball”, necessarily, but that’s what he was saying - and saying it for the sole purpose of insulting DG.

by Anonymousreply 43October 22, 2018 12:12 AM

I visited the large D-Day Cemetery - the Normandy American Cemetery.

It was incredibly moving.

All those young kids. And most of them were young.

Row after row of stones, with their name and state.

Watching film of the D-Day landings takes on a different meaning when you see all those graves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 22, 2018 12:19 AM

R38 How do you figure that when you point out that the Southern Democrats were RACISTS? They would have remained so "Dixiecrats", would those really be the Democrats you wanted in office? That would never have changed if not for the Voting Rights Act. In other words, the Democrats in the South who would have won aren't the sort of Democrats you would have wanted anyway.

Ultimately in that sense it didn't change anything, the Democrats stopped being so racist and the Republicans became more so. It's less about which party and more about who the people of the South are - if you wanted to win, you had to be racist.

You can't blame that on the Voting Rights Act.

by Anonymousreply 45October 22, 2018 12:19 AM

Yes, R41, I am rather sure. “US Veterans Affairs Office” has added almost 2 million records to find-a-grave (“FaG”, unfortunately).

by Anonymousreply 46October 22, 2018 12:31 AM

R44, And the Germans would have been running the continent, anyway, by 1985 at least, if they didn’t engage in WWII, without the deaths, and destruction.

by Anonymousreply 47October 22, 2018 12:36 AM

I’m sure he was a good egg, R32!

by Anonymousreply 48October 22, 2018 12:40 AM

r44 I've visited the one at Anzio in Italy and had a similar reaction.

by Anonymousreply 49October 22, 2018 1:33 AM

[quote] The Voting Rights Act destroyed Democrats chances in the south since then.

And LBJ knew it. When the act passed he said the Democrats had now lost the South for generations. Yet he made a full effort and used both his personal and presidential power to get it passed. He knew it was the right thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 50October 22, 2018 2:01 AM

R44 I've visited the one at Anzio in Italy and had a similar erection.

by Anonymousreply 51October 22, 2018 2:02 AM

Next on Instagram: Gay Travelers getting boners at all the sites TimeLife books sees fit to print.

by Anonymousreply 52October 22, 2018 6:54 PM

[quote] It always amazes me that France lost TWO successive generations of men, but are considered weak and spineless. This has to be anglo in origin.

The anti-france circlejerk has always been rooted in inferiority complex.

France has the best military record in the world's history (723 instances of victory, 424 instances of defeat and 64 instances of indecisive). There has never been biggest warmongers and winners in history than the French. Perpetual wars and battles.

Thank God they got invaded by the nazis and collaborated, or else the anglo saxon world would have no excuse to shit on them.

by Anonymousreply 53October 22, 2018 7:47 PM

No, R53, it’s rooted in this:

France lost quickly in WWII. Too quickly.

They wouldn’t give their fleet to the UK in WWII, after the Germans beat them. So, the Brits destroyed their fleet, rather than let it fall in to German hands. Makes them look like real losers.

De Gaulle’s demand that the Americans get off French territory, 20 years after the war, seems reasonable to me, but it engendered American anger. I read Americans dumped their French perfume in the toilet, etc.

They had no English speaking spokesman. I think that’s a big factor.

by Anonymousreply 54October 22, 2018 8:13 PM

R45 you posted:

[quote] [R38] How do you figure that when you point out that the Southern Democrats were RACISTS?

R19 claimed that the Voting Rights Act GAVE the Democrats a level playing field, when it fact it gave the Republicans more of a level playing field, since the Democrats already controlled the South. R19 was completely wrong and I was attempting to correct the facts instead of allowing his false narrative to stand.

[quote] They would have remained so "Dixiecrats", would those really be the Democrats you wanted in office? That would never have changed if not for the Voting Rights Act. In other words, the Democrats in the South who would have won aren't the sort of Democrats you would have wanted anyway.

I wasn't saying what I wanted, not sure how what I want has anything to do with the facts of what happened.

[quote] Ultimately in that sense it didn't change anything, the Democrats stopped being so racist and the Republicans became more so. It's less about which party and more about who the people of the South are - if you wanted to win, you had to be racist.

The Democrats in the south didn't stop being so racist they just became racist Republicans instead of racist Democrats. The Southern Racist Democrats would often vote with the Northern and Western Democratic Senators and Congressmen on subjects that didn't involve race. So that changed a lot of things for the entire country.

[quote] You can't blame that on the Voting Rights Act.

I didn't blame anything on the Voting Rights Act, you are attributing motives to me that don't exist. Still you missed my point, R19 claimed that the Voting Rights Act gave the Democrats a chance in the south by leveling the playing field which couldn't have been more wrong. I was not commenting on whether the Voting Rights Act was good or bad.

But I will now, all citizens should have the right to vote, The Voting Rights Act was a good thing, it just never leveled the playing field for the Democrats in the South, but it is the Republicans who are now attempting to keep people from voting.

by Anonymousreply 55October 22, 2018 8:16 PM

Whatever France and the US are duking out politically, the French are always respectful and grateful when visiting the US war cemeteries. One radical bunch vandalized one of the US war cemeteries during the Iraq War, but they were denounced by the country as a whole.

In the US, many cities that have foreign soldiers buried in their areas send out schoolkids to learn the history of how these people ended up there and to take care of these graves.

by Anonymousreply 56October 22, 2018 8:31 PM

Cheese-eating surrender monkeys!

by Anonymousreply 57October 22, 2018 8:38 PM

Bimp

by Anonymousreply 58October 23, 2018 3:30 PM

We might not see it as stunning today, because it’s history to us, but the German defeat of France in 6 weeks in WWI was unthinkable. Allies expected more of a stalemate like WWI.

by Anonymousreply 59October 23, 2018 3:36 PM

I meant, “the defeat in WWII”... Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 60October 23, 2018 3:38 PM

The French were fighting WWI. The Germans were fighting WWII.

Tactics changed. The French were relying (at the beginning) on WWI tactics.

by Anonymousreply 61October 23, 2018 4:16 PM

R58 = Inspector Clouseau

by Anonymousreply 62October 23, 2018 4:22 PM

All armies start a war with the last war's tactics -- my dad was sent to the South Pacific in WW2 equipped with an .03 and a wool WW1 uniform.

by Anonymousreply 63October 23, 2018 4:23 PM

[quote] All armies start a war with the last war's tactics

The Germans didn't.

That certainly accounted for their "stunning" victories early on.

by Anonymousreply 64October 23, 2018 4:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!