Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #327: Bobbie and Patti and AnnE Edition

Continue

by Anonymousreply 601October 28, 2018 4:43 PM

Miss Elizabeth Seal!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 20, 2018 10:44 PM

Re the idea of "Company" moving with its British cast. It's a commercial production. The only time an entire company of foreign actors is allowed over is with something produced by the National Theatre or RSC or some such (or equivalent companies from other nations). Add to that the fact that "Company" is an American show with all American characters (except that they've now turned one of the "boyfriends" into a sassy Brit) - it's not gonna happen. They have a big plus in that one of their stars is an American, so she'd be set, and Rosalie Craig and Jonathan Bailey have gotten such raves that perhaps a case could be made for including them, but that's it. There's no way all those supporting couples are going to be allowed over here to play American parts in an American show without the NT or RSC involved, which they aren't.

by Anonymousreply 2October 20, 2018 10:47 PM

Bobby & Elaine!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 20, 2018 10:52 PM

[quote]Sutton seems inevitable and yet so depressing

Is this in reference to "Company"? Because Sutton is almost 44. She's too old to play Bobbie, and not right for the only other "star" part, Joanne.

by Anonymousreply 4October 20, 2018 10:53 PM

I saw Bobby Van (and Elaine) at the Shubert Theater in LA. It was January 1980, the opening night of the LA company of "Evita" (with Loni Ackerman). He looked dreadful, and he had his hair done in a tight perm which didn't suit him at all.

He died of a brain tumor about six or seven months later, and I realized why he looked so bad, and the perm was probably a wig to cover his bald head from the chemo.

by Anonymousreply 5October 20, 2018 10:57 PM

I know this will get me killed, but I think AnnE might be very good as Bobbie.

by Anonymousreply 6October 20, 2018 10:57 PM

I loved Bobby Van.

by Anonymousreply 7October 20, 2018 10:57 PM

[R2]: Do you think Mel Giedroyc (and would someone PLEASE tell me how her last name is pronounced?!) has enough U.S. cred as a former host of The Great British Baking Show to come over with the London Company? And Richard Fleeshman did Ghost on Broadway so maybe he and his towel could come as well.

Has Megan Mullally ever played Joanne?

by Anonymousreply 8October 20, 2018 10:59 PM

r4- Bobbie, if like the original production, is 35. Sutton can pull that off.

by Anonymousreply 9October 20, 2018 11:00 PM

I would LOVE to hear her sing Ladies/Lunch as Karen, r8!

by Anonymousreply 10October 20, 2018 11:02 PM

I don't think Mullally has ever played Joanne and I'm sure she'd be terrific. She can replace Baranski.

by Anonymousreply 11October 20, 2018 11:04 PM

The quality of this is rotten. Please tell me Mary isn't in blackface.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2018 11:20 PM

Where’s the Idina Troll to tell us she should play Bobbie?

by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2018 11:24 PM

In the London production of Company, when Joanne calls Bobby "Robert", what have they changed it to?

by Anonymousreply 14October 20, 2018 11:46 PM

Equity said no to the National Theatre cast of Oklahoma coming over (which included Hugh Jackman) and they’ll say no to whoever produces Company in NY.

by Anonymousreply 15October 20, 2018 11:52 PM

Any updates on Wesley Taylor and his boytoy, Isaac? Still going strong?

by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2018 11:54 PM

Mel is not very good in Company. Neither is Rosalie, although maybe I saw her on an off day.

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2018 12:07 AM

R9 35? Why, Sutton can pull off 25, according to 'Younger'

by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2018 12:14 AM

To R603 in the previous thread - how was AiA a flop? It's weakest week did 83% capacity. Not stellar, granted, but hardly a flop.

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2018 12:21 AM

Why is that Limey cunt singing my big number, R1?

by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2018 12:25 AM

R19 Weekly revenues minus Weekly Costs equals flop

by Anonymousreply 21October 21, 2018 12:49 AM

Speaking of, who knows the weekly break-even for King Kong?

by Anonymousreply 22October 21, 2018 12:51 AM

Laura Linney *IS* Bobbie

by Anonymousreply 23October 21, 2018 12:55 AM

[quote]Do you think Mel Giedroyc (and would someone PLEASE tell me how her last name is pronounced?!) has enough U.S. cred as a former host of The Great British Baking Show to come over with the London Company? And Richard Fleeshman did Ghost on Broadway so maybe he and his towel could come as well.

First, according to YouTube, it's pronounced "Gidd-royce".

Second, no, she has no cachet here at all of that show and that won't get her okayed, nor should it. It's better cast with an American actress. Thirdly, Fleeshman was okayed for "Ghost," so I guess that would be in his favor, but his role in Ghost was a lot bigger than his role in Company. Jonathan Bailey has one of the two biggest showstoppers and has gotten raves, so they could make a case for him if they so desired. But really, the whole thing could be cast just as well here. And Anne Hathaway has not been offered anything when it comes to Company.

by Anonymousreply 24October 21, 2018 1:07 AM

[quote]Bobbie, if like the original production, is 35. Sutton can pull that off.

She's ten years older than that, and no, no she can't pull that off.

by Anonymousreply 25October 21, 2018 1:13 AM

Elizabeth Seal and Keith Michell doing one of their numbers from Irma La Douce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 21, 2018 1:21 AM

[quote] Gee [R548] you seem really invested in some stranger's career. How creepy of you.

Yeah, I pulled up IMdB for 15 seconds, then posted my response. Man, call me a stalker!

by Anonymousreply 27October 21, 2018 1:45 AM

Well, according to Patti, they're coming to America

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 21, 2018 1:46 AM

[quote] Waverly Gallery is likely to get stellar reviews and have a good run. The casting is spot on - everyone gets a chance to shine. The subject matter is painful, and it is not a tightly plotted kind of play. When I saw it, the audience was very moved and vocally appreciative of the quality of acting.

It's great that you enjoyed it, but WOM is deadly. And the show has been on TDF every day since it began previews. It's a limited run, so they may be able to crawl to the finish line, but there would be no point in recasting to keep it running. (Ironic since those who likely have to bolt for other projects are the weakest parts of the show.)

by Anonymousreply 29October 21, 2018 1:48 AM

This is old, but I'd never seen it. Patti drunk on Watch What Happens Live. Good stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 21, 2018 2:12 AM

R21 What were the weekly costs for AiA?

by Anonymousreply 31October 21, 2018 2:30 AM

[quote]Why are you seeing a show that you are "DREADING"? What's wrong with you?

How else can you have an opinion on a show if you haven’t seen it?

by Anonymousreply 32October 21, 2018 2:34 AM

Duh. Roberta, r14.

by Anonymousreply 33October 21, 2018 2:40 AM

I have no investment in this one way or another but how much do you want to bet Equity caves and the entire British cast comes to Broadway. Something just ells me it will happen.

Things are changing fast in this crazy world we live in.

by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2018 2:41 AM

R13

Idina is 47 and as easy as it is to imagine her passing as 35, the Idina trolls don't think she could pass as unmarried and straight at 35.

Sutton literally has a TV show about how her look isn't as mature as she is. Sutton looks young and Benanti looks mature. Even on HDTV.

by Anonymousreply 35October 21, 2018 2:57 AM

[quote]Duh. Roberta, [R14].

Roberta has an extra syllable and doesn't fit into the rhythm in certain parts.

by Anonymousreply 36October 21, 2018 2:59 AM

“Barbara Darling”

by Anonymousreply 37October 21, 2018 3:00 AM

Bernadette for Bobbie :-)

by Anonymousreply 38October 21, 2018 3:02 AM

I'm confused. A bobby in the UK is a policeman.

by Anonymousreply 39October 21, 2018 3:07 AM

The entire cast of The Ferrymen are Brits...

by Anonymousreply 40October 21, 2018 3:07 AM

I loved Barrowman as Bobby (yes, I saw him). He also managed to make something special out of Joe Gillis and was far superior to that bland stick of wood that played it on Broadway. He played opposite Betty B for two weeks while Alan Campbell was filming a movie.

by Anonymousreply 41October 21, 2018 4:01 AM

R41, Barrymore was “something special” in Sunset BLvd? He was worse than a stick of wood in it, couldn’t act at all, reeked of arrogance and smirked himself into a stupor.

R40, you’re using a really lousy example. The cast of The Ferryman are actually playing Brits (in Northern Ireland).

The Company cast will NOT be allowed over here intact.

by Anonymousreply 42October 21, 2018 4:10 AM

Elizabeth Seal is fabulous in those two clips. Her dancing especially is marvelous; obviously Michael Bennett just wanted his wife to do the role when he fired Ms. Seal in such a cruel manner. Keith Michell was really good. I saw him as a replacement Georges in "La Cage aux Folles", and he was excellent. Did anyone see him nude on stage in "Abelard and Heloise" opposite Diana Rigg? Was the nude scene reasonably well lit?

by Anonymousreply 43October 21, 2018 4:32 AM

I saw that nude scene. It was dark, and the two were semi-recumbent. You couldn't see anything.

by Anonymousreply 44October 21, 2018 4:38 AM

I remember there used to be items from places like Earl Wilson's column on another Keith, Keith Baxter who starred on Broadway in "Sleuth". Apparently the story was that Baxter used to greet visitors backstage while he was naked. Anyone got any more info? He looked pretty hot.

by Anonymousreply 45October 21, 2018 4:45 AM

Thank you for your understanding, r32.

by Anonymousreply 46October 21, 2018 5:44 AM

Good lord, equity has little to no power anymore What are they gonna do to stop the UK company transfer, stomp their feet in a tantrum - equity continues to be a big useless joke

by Anonymousreply 47October 21, 2018 5:55 AM

Wow, R1. Elizabeth Seal really was quite a dancer! What a shame that Encores and director John Doyle forever tarnished Irma La Douce with their crappy production.

by Anonymousreply 48October 21, 2018 10:14 AM

Oh FFS, r47. Not counting names (Bryan Cranston, Glenda Jackson, etc.) there is literally an American onstage in the West End this year for every Brit that is on Broadway.

I'm no fan of Equity, but this paranoid fantasy of British actors climbing over some Trump-style wall and stealing our jobs is just ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 49October 21, 2018 10:15 AM

Yes, but the difference is, you won't find Americans in the UK playing Brits in quintessentially British plays. That happened in "AIA" and it shouldn't have, and it won't be happening in "Company," if in fact it even comes over at all - right now, the "Broadway transfer" is just a DL fantasy based on the mostly rave reviews it got in London. That's really all that's fueling it at this point.

by Anonymousreply 50October 21, 2018 10:32 AM

R43, my understanding is that Bennett wanted Donna in the first place. He had every intention of firing whomever was cast as Cassie so he could bring Donna over as a last minute save. Anyone who was originally cast as Cassie would have been fired. It was also good publicity for the show. (There is no such thing as bad publicity.)

by Anonymousreply 51October 21, 2018 10:47 AM

R41, Barrowman was fine as Bobby, but he looked overweight, wore a tank top during "Barcelona". The weak link in that DC production was Lynn Redgrave's Joanne.

by Anonymousreply 52October 21, 2018 10:52 AM

R45, Keith Baxter and Rex Reed were a couple back in the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 53October 21, 2018 10:55 AM

Marianne Elliott directing Company? Ehhhhhhhhh.... that AiA was just so dull and bland and wrong, with a few exceptions, and frequently what the Brits think will work on Broadway rarely does (and to be fair- vice versa.) As for Sondheim’s approval, he’d give the green light to a Bobby that likes scat and pissplay onstage if he thought it’d keep him relevant and part of the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 54October 21, 2018 11:17 AM

Lol R34, Equity hasn’t had the ability to stop a Brit cast transferring in well over two decades.

by Anonymousreply 55October 21, 2018 11:21 AM

In the American transfer of Company Bobbi will be a notorious pussyhound and Big Bush Supporter.

by Anonymousreply 56October 21, 2018 11:23 AM

The challenge with Joanne and LWL is being able to do something different with it since it's written so specifically for Stritch. Mullaly might be the one who could pull that off - agreed that Baranski is too, um, on the nose

by Anonymousreply 57October 21, 2018 11:27 AM

I remember reading in more than one place that years ago Sondheim allowed Billy Porter to play a gay Bobby in a college production of Company where he was a guest artist and directed and starred in the show. Sondheim allowed it because the two are old friends and it was strictly a one time local thing and none of the text and lyric changes were ever licensed.

Am I just totally mistaken? I couldn't find any reference to it with a google search. And I'm not confusing this with a Sondheim revue Porter once did at Vassar called "Just Company." This was a college production of Company that Porter did with Sondheim's permission with Porter as a gay Bobby. Does anyone else remember hearing about this?

by Anonymousreply 58October 21, 2018 11:31 AM

I’m afraid Megan would just turn up the volume on Karen, and that’s not what Joanne is.

by Anonymousreply 59October 21, 2018 11:36 AM

Saw Apologia last night, or the first act. I didn't hate it, but the play did not engage me enough to stay and I decided to leave and get some work done back home. Then again, I suppose if you leave a play to go home and do work, that's a pretty piss poor endorsement.

Stockard played a character she's played a million times, a cultured, intelligent, acerbic matriarch who withers everyone with bitchy passive observations. It honestly felt like she was doing the role in her sleep. I didn't feel her connection to this woman. The rest of the cast barely registered. And I didn't like one character on that stage. Maybe the fat old queen character was amusing here and there.

I sat through most of the intermission deciding if I should go, and I heard a lot of murmurings of "Should we stay? Do YOU want to leave?" etc, etc.

I will say that Stocks' plastic surgery seems to have settled in so that it no longer elicits a gasp when one sees her for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 60October 21, 2018 12:22 PM

Do we really need to ever see another Company or Follies?

by Anonymousreply 61October 21, 2018 12:31 PM

Yes. Until somebody gets all of it just right and records it in HD.

by Anonymousreply 62October 21, 2018 12:35 PM

Don't forget me, r62!

by Anonymousreply 63October 21, 2018 12:38 PM

Not even Miss Rigg's insufficient flying buttresses, r44?

by Anonymousreply 64October 21, 2018 12:47 PM

I remember it, r58, but not with the amount of detail you recall. I wasn't aware it was based on personal friendship, for example.

by Anonymousreply 65October 21, 2018 12:47 PM

The review above has a great pull quote,

“Miss Channing’s recent plastic surgeries have settled nicely so that they no longer elicit an audible gasp during her entrance.”

I don’t know why the producers wouldn’t feature that on the marquee

by Anonymousreply 66October 21, 2018 12:57 PM

Do we really need to ever see another Hamlet or Lear?

by Anonymousreply 67October 21, 2018 12:59 PM

[quote]Do we really need to ever see another Hamlet or Lear?

I'd like to see a production of Hamlet done as written, without gimmicks, without Hamlet being played by a woman or done in modern day. Just a straightforward production. I don't even need a star, just a cast who acts well.

by Anonymousreply 68October 21, 2018 1:19 PM

[quote]I'd like to see a production of Hamlet done as written

So you'd like to see an adolescent boy play Ophelia?

Quick, Mary, my vapors!

by Anonymousreply 69October 21, 2018 1:26 PM

[quote]So why is Robert happier “side by side by side” instead of coupling? The show never offers an answer to the puzzle, because Sondheim and Furth have taken the number away: the nature of Robert’s sexuality.

This is an interesting article: I've always thought the story for Company is weird (and now dated), a straight guy whose best friends are a bunch of straight couples. Does it, as Pat Lupone says, make more sense with a woman as the lead character?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 21, 2018 1:34 PM

R69 Except it wasn't written that a boy plays the female roles, it was just custom.

by Anonymousreply 71October 21, 2018 1:35 PM

....and featuring Judy Anderson as Gert!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 21, 2018 1:37 PM

R71, well if it is only custom then what is the problem with a woman playing Hamlet? It is not written that a man plays the male role, it is just custom.

When people what a "traditional" or "straightforward" version of a play, they do not really want a production that sticks to the script or the author's intent. They want a production like the ones that were common 3 to 5 decades ago--and that depart from the script and the intent in the ways that they did back then.

by Anonymousreply 73October 21, 2018 1:48 PM

I have no problem with a woman playing Hamlet. By the way I'm not R68, I was just pointing out "as written" isn't the same as "as originally performed".

by Anonymousreply 74October 21, 2018 1:52 PM

Company began as a series of 11 one act plays that George Furth wrote for Kim Stanley. They were offered to Sondheim's then boyfriend Anthony Perkins to direct if a producer could be found. Perkins was then looking to transition from an actor to a director.

Perkins showed the scripts to Sondheim for his opinion and Sondheim in turn showed them to Hal Prince. It was Prince who thought the material might be turned into a musical and the character of Bobby was then created to connect the stories. The show was written around Perkins, who was originally to play Bobby, but he dropped out after receiving a different offer to direct another show.

The show went went forward with Dean Jones replacing Perkins; and how Larry Kert came to replace Jones a month into the Broadway run is a story that has been posted at DL many times.

by Anonymousreply 75October 21, 2018 1:57 PM

R74, that is a distinction without a difference.

A playwright cannot anticipate what changes will happen 100 years from now. Shakespeare had no reason to specify that boy's play the women, since he did not know that actresses would exist in English theater. Just like Arthur Miller never specified that it had to be humans playing Death of a Salesman, because he did not anticipate that in 300 years, trained dolphins would take over theatrical performance.

It is fine to say that you want characters to be played by people of the same gender and to perform under artificial light on sets specifically designed for the play. But that is no more "straighforward" than some concept production. Both distort the play's intent, but in different ways.

Everyone is trying to do the production that is most true to the play.

by Anonymousreply 76October 21, 2018 2:01 PM

Don't forget some of them ended up in Twigs, r75.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 21, 2018 2:02 PM

I find it sad that Flipper was born 350 years too soon, r76.

by Anonymousreply 78October 21, 2018 2:05 PM

[QUOTE] Shakespeare had no reason to specify that boy's play the women

Exactly, it wasn't written. So R69's attempt at a joke fails. Literally the only point I was making, but hey don't let that stop you bloviating, it's clear you like the sound of your own keyboard.

by Anonymousreply 79October 21, 2018 2:07 PM

Wondering what r69 thinks "vapors" means. Not what it actually means, certainly.

by Anonymousreply 80October 21, 2018 2:09 PM

How was she going to do 11 one acts ???

by Anonymousreply 81October 21, 2018 2:10 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 21, 2018 2:13 PM

We assume a la Tonight at 8:30, r81.

by Anonymousreply 83October 21, 2018 2:15 PM

I read somewhere that Furth wrote the one-acts on the advice of his analyst, as part of his therapy.

And I thought he was with Sondheim at that time, not Perkins.

by Anonymousreply 84October 21, 2018 2:17 PM

I do not bloviate an my keyboard is silent.

R80, you are obviously young.

R81, I don't know, ask Furth. (Yes, I know he's dead, that's why i suggest you go ask him.) Maybe some of them were extremely short or they were meant to be performed over multiple nights. Provide links to show I'm wrong. I've often been wrong but not on this.

by Anonymousreply 85October 21, 2018 2:17 PM

R85, you've just proved my point.

by Anonymousreply 86October 21, 2018 2:22 PM

Ohhhh, R69 really does not understand what "vapors" meant or how it was used....and is now trying to cover for it.

by Anonymousreply 87October 21, 2018 2:32 PM

Wikipedia says Company began as eleven one act plays for Kim Stanley.

George Furth had many Broadway writer credits and was otherwise known as a quite successful milquetoast Hollywood character actor. Very talented guy.

R86, I have no idea what you mean.

by Anonymousreply 88October 21, 2018 2:32 PM

r88, see r87.

Nobody can hand you the vapors, but they might hand you smelling salts or a brandy if you had the vapors.

by Anonymousreply 89October 21, 2018 2:37 PM

[quote]Company began as a series of 11 one act plays that George Furth wrote for Kim Stanley.

I have a feeling that Kim Stanley would have been doing what Martin Short did in "Little Me" playing all the different roles. And we know that not everything that is written ends up in the final show. Those 11 could have been reduced. There are 5 couples in the current Company and three girlfriends, so Stanley could have ended up doing 8 different characters in 8 different scenes.

by Anonymousreply 90October 21, 2018 2:40 PM

Btw, r88, I don't think anyone would dispute that Furth wrote a series of one-acts and hoped to interest Kim Stanley. I believe the question upthread was how Stanley was to accomplish this, and I believe Prince has been quoted asking a similar question--all the wig and costume changes, etc.--and expressing the view that it was an unwieldy concept.

by Anonymousreply 91October 21, 2018 2:41 PM

[quote]How else can you have an opinion on a show if you haven’t seen it?

This must be your first visit to a DL theater thread.

by Anonymousreply 92October 21, 2018 2:44 PM

Bennett also poorly cast his replacement NY company with several performers including his replacement Val and replacement Diana leaving within a couple of performances. For Diana, his choice was Barbara Luna and she was so bad that he told her to tell the press that she injured herself horseback riding. Seal was 44 and hadn't danced in years so while the choice was questionable, he tried to get her to tell the press she hurt herself dancing so she couldn't go on. Bennett would later say that Seal was just not up to it but that was just a cover to get Donna into the show. Interestingly, the entire London replacement company signed a letter to Equity saying she should be allowed to do the show. Seal would get a very nice settlement from Bennett and both he and Donna were somewhat humiliated in the press because of the incident.

by Anonymousreply 93October 21, 2018 2:47 PM

The Apple Tree premiered on Broadway in 1966. In that show, Barbara Harris, Alan Alda and Larry Blyden play 3 different characters in 3 different acts. I wonder if Furth was trying to take this idea and use it for Kim Stanley.

by Anonymousreply 94October 21, 2018 2:50 PM

[quote] Seal would get a very nice settlement from Bennett and both he and Donna were somewhat humiliated in the press because of the incident.

What was the reason Donna did not originally transfer to London? Would British Equity not allow it? Because most of the original Broadway cast went to open the LA production, so it's not like she was reluctant to leave NYC.

by Anonymousreply 95October 21, 2018 2:52 PM

Meet BarBara Luna!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96October 21, 2018 2:54 PM

Fuck your restraint, r89. My comment was quite obviously a reference to my youth when everyone referred to The Vapors as well as to Sheridan's The Rivals when Lydia asks for her sal volatile and her maid asks if it has a blue cover and Lydia has to reply "My smelling salts, you simpleton." Otherwise I love you.

And yes, r93, the first replacement cast for ACL was an extreme embarrassment and I was furious because I took my parents to see it without having any idea how bad it would be.

by Anonymousreply 97October 21, 2018 2:55 PM

What proof do we have that Sondheim and Perkins were more than just pals?

by Anonymousreply 98October 21, 2018 2:58 PM

All this talk about Barrowman in "Company." I thought he was awful. He came off as a dumb frat boy. Actually, the production was pretty horrible, even the Esparza version was better, and that's saying a lot. Nothing has come close to the original. (Sorry, Eldergay alert)

Oh, and it took years to learn that The Vapors was acually a gas attack. Ladies retired to their bedrooms so as to not stink up the joint...

by Anonymousreply 99October 21, 2018 2:59 PM

[quote]The Apple Tree premiered on Broadway in 1966. In that show, Barbara Harris, Alan Alda and Larry Blyden play 3 different characters in 3 different acts. I wonder if Furth was trying to take this idea and use it for Kim Stanley.

It's not as though it was a strikingly original idea. In 1967, "You Know I Can't Hear You When the Water's Running" was an evening of four unrelated one-acts (written by Robert Anderson, not a writer really known for comedy, unless you count "Tea and Sympathy"), with cast members, including Eileen Heckart and George Grizzard) playing various roles.

by Anonymousreply 100October 21, 2018 2:59 PM

R95, I think Donna thought she was going to become a movie star. The London Cassie was Sandy Roveta. Yeah, who? I have not seen any reports from people who'd seen her do the role but I did read some negative reviews of her performance. She would later be seen with an LA replacement company Cassie Pamela Peadon on Charlies Angels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101October 21, 2018 3:00 PM

R97, we know what "the vapors" are. You seem to think that they are the same thing as smelling salts. Smelling salts are a cure for the vapors.

The vapors themselves are a state or malady within someone. Idiomatically, though, you would never refer to them as "my vapors" any more than you would refer to "my lupus" or "my AIDS" in most conversational scenarios.

"Oh! The vapors! Someone quick, fetch me my smelling salts!"

by Anonymousreply 102October 21, 2018 3:04 PM

[quote]the first replacement cast for ACL was an extreme embarrassment and I was furious because I took my parents to see it without having any idea how bad it would be.

r97, how was the replacement cast bad? Were they bad actors or bad dancers? In one of the books, I think it's Cameron Mason talks about he decided to stay with the Broadway cast and not go to LA and that some of the character points that he had worked out with Michael Bennett suddenly became detrimental with the new cast.

by Anonymousreply 103October 21, 2018 3:06 PM

[quote]Barrymore was “something special” in Sunset BLvd?

Lionel, Ethel, John, or Drew?

by Anonymousreply 104October 21, 2018 3:09 PM

While we're on the subject, did anybody here see ACL past the record-setting performance? I'd love to know when the original run started feeling stale, or did it withstand that?

by Anonymousreply 105October 21, 2018 3:10 PM

I saw a replacement cast of ACL on Broadway; only Wayne Cilento of the principals was still around. The show was really good, but Ann Reinking fell during "The Music and the Mirror" and the Diana, who has the most singing, was named Loioda (Iglesias) or something like that and her two big solos were very disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 106October 21, 2018 3:12 PM

Performers who make you think about baseball instead would be a liability ...

by Anonymousreply 107October 21, 2018 3:14 PM

I saw most of the Chorus Line replacement casts. Adding, I don't remember the entire cast ever being replaced at once. Nevertheless, despite some individually wonderful performances, only the last cast ever came close to replicating the excitement of the original.

And then it closed.

by Anonymousreply 108October 21, 2018 3:58 PM

[quote]While we're on the subject, did anybody here see ACL past the record-setting performance? I'd love to know when the original run started feeling stale, or did it withstand that?

I saw the show a month before it closed. There were about 50 people in the audience. It was a Monday night performance (ACL was one of the few shows that performed on Monday night). I had an entire row to myself. There was a Japanese businessman sitting in the first row center. *DURING* Music and the Mirror, he stands up, climbs over the few people in the row and goes to the bathroom. Upon his return, rather than taking one of the 1,000 other empty seats in the theater, he walks all the way back down to the first row, climbs over the few people and returns to his original seat. Laurie Gamache was playing Cassie and I bet she just wanted to strangle him.

I liked Laurie Gamache as Cassie, but some of the other actors seemed like they were just doing it by rote. Some of the jokes seemed stale, like the actors didn't bother to try and put them over. It had been announced that ACL was closing and this was just the final push to wring out profit and sentiment before it closed, so maybe the actors were just collecting their paychecks and hoping their agent would call.

I did buy an "End of the line..." t-shirt which I still have to this day.

by Anonymousreply 109October 21, 2018 3:59 PM

I wonder if Keith Baxter had flashbacks about Orson Welles’ hat whenever he approached a couch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110October 21, 2018 4:11 PM

R109, I saw the final cast several times, the next to last time two weeks before the show closed, and the house was full. People were emotional about it. I saw the final performance too. It was weird. I bought my ticket at the box office an hour before the show and I assume I was sitting in a previously unreleased house seat since it was orchestra sixth row center with a sickly Joe Papp sitting next to me and Tommy Tune behind me.

And I'll add that a national tour staged by Baayork Lee that played at Papermill in October of 2001 was *exceptionally* good. But I'm very emotional about that, as I am about the final performance, since Gary and I lived in lower Chelsea and it was the first time we left the neighborhood after 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 111October 21, 2018 4:24 PM

Keith Baxter was very hot. An internet search showed that he was picked up by Nureyev. Would love to hear more of Baxter's naked backstage greetings.

by Anonymousreply 112October 21, 2018 4:25 PM

I'll add finally that the first time I saw ACL was standing room at the Shubert 4 or 5 weeks after the Broadway opening. It was the hottest ticket in town and impossible to get, but one of our group of six had some kind of connection. What an unbelievably exciting evening, that show, that cast, New York at that time. But it was so many years ago and I am the only one left of our coterie.

by Anonymousreply 113October 21, 2018 4:39 PM

Keith Baxter and Rex Reed were never a couple. They were a tag team who used to troll for teenage boys and bring them back to the Dakota. Much like Nathan and Victor used to do. And Lenny would often drop by. It was a happy place back then.

by Anonymousreply 114October 21, 2018 4:41 PM

R109, I know what you mean. I was at a performance of " The Band's Visit," when the phone of a WHITE MAN began to ring. This WHITE MAN proceeded to answer it and talk for about a minute. This WHITE MAN ruined the entire evening.

by Anonymousreply 115October 21, 2018 5:01 PM

One more question about nu-Company. How rewritten is "Have I Got a Girl For You"? Is it cut? I'm not even sure what a non-clunky replacement for "My niece from Ohio" (in the lead-in) would be.

by Anonymousreply 116October 21, 2018 5:17 PM

Good question, R116. That song has such a masculine energy, too. And not just the lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 117October 21, 2018 5:23 PM

Since it went from Bobby to Bobbie, is it now also changed from Company to Companie?

by Anonymousreply 118October 21, 2018 5:33 PM

I got picked up by Keith Baxter one night in the Earls Court district in London about 20 years ago. He was in his car trolling for young/youngish guys and I was in the ballpark. I got into the car. He was going to take me to his house somewhere outside the city. I made the fatal mistake of knowing who he was right away and mentioning a mutual friend. He suddenly wasn’t in the mood.

by Anonymousreply 119October 21, 2018 5:35 PM

Judy Kuhn is playing Golde in the Menier Chocolate Factory production of Fiddler. Why? Golde hardly sings. What a waste. I hope Kuhn at least does a cabaret act while she’s in London.

by Anonymousreply 120October 21, 2018 5:44 PM

Who was the poster who was picked up by Jerome Robbins and didn't mention that he knew who he was until the middle of the evening when he asked about Billion Dollar Baby thereby killing the evening?

Can you imagine? This being DL and being theater queens I guess yes we all could.

by Anonymousreply 121October 21, 2018 5:59 PM

Keith Baxter played The Ghost and The Player King in Michael Urie's DC Hamlet just last year.

He looked.....very old.

by Anonymousreply 122October 21, 2018 6:00 PM

Keith Baxter was gorgeous. If I walked in on him and he was naked and didn't bother to cover up I would have fainted.

by Anonymousreply 123October 21, 2018 6:02 PM

Judy Kuhn?? The saddest-faced woman in show biz?

Not that Golde is a laugh-riot, but some comic chops wouldn't hurt playing Golde.

by Anonymousreply 124October 21, 2018 6:04 PM

R124, with that voice, she can look any way she damn well wants.

by Anonymousreply 125October 21, 2018 6:30 PM

Who had the better chest hair, Larry Kert or Dean Jones?

by Anonymousreply 126October 21, 2018 6:31 PM

r126 Rosalie Craig.

by Anonymousreply 127October 21, 2018 6:38 PM

Does anyone else think Stockard Channing was born to play Joanne in Company? Casting someone with a voice like LuPone seems like a bit of a waste to me. It'd fit well within Stockard's rather limited singing range. I always hate when they cast really great singers as Joanne. If ever there was a role for a movie star trying out Broadway or a wonderful character actress not known for musicals, it's this role.

by Anonymousreply 128October 21, 2018 7:01 PM

I assume she'll be wearing rags, r124.

by Anonymousreply 129October 21, 2018 7:09 PM

"well if it is only custom then what is the problem with a woman playing Hamlet? It is not written that a man plays the male role, it is just custom."

Well, if you'd seen Judy Anderson's performance of the role in the 1960s, as I did, you might feel differently.

by Anonymousreply 130October 21, 2018 7:29 PM

The recent talk about Torch Song makes me think of an actor I have always been smitten with: David Garrison. Wanted to see him so much in Torch Song but he did not last long. Anybody know the story?

Also always heard he was straight yet there has never been one word about him dating or marrying or having children. Considering his success on that show for which at least his character is remembered very fondly it seems strange. Not that I've heard anything about dating guys either. Not one word ever about his personal life which is pretty unusual for an actor except for where he went to high school and college.

by Anonymousreply 131October 21, 2018 7:31 PM

"Everyone is trying to do the production that is most true to the play.'

Except some, if not most, of those "everyone" are more stupid and less talented than others.

by Anonymousreply 132October 21, 2018 7:37 PM

[quote]Everyone is trying to do the production that is most true to the play.

Not nowadays. Today everyone is distorting the play into a mirror in which they can see their own refection. The author's intent and the truth of the play is not a consideration.

by Anonymousreply 133October 21, 2018 9:09 PM

R133 Exactly that , so agree

by Anonymousreply 134October 21, 2018 9:17 PM

See what Ivo von Hove has wrought?

by Anonymousreply 135October 21, 2018 9:19 PM

[quote]R133 Today everyone is distorting the play into a mirror in which they can see their own refection. The author's intent and the truth of the play is not a consideration.

Because we live in the present. Not the past.

The author’s estate gets their money, and should be damn glad.

by Anonymousreply 136October 21, 2018 9:22 PM

Keith Baxter today . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137October 21, 2018 9:27 PM

R136 Oh dear.....

by Anonymousreply 138October 21, 2018 9:31 PM

He’s still handsome...don’t be mean!

by Anonymousreply 139October 21, 2018 9:34 PM

David Garrison is a major pussyhound, r131. I know of two Broadway ladies, one still prominent and the other gone off to Disney voices, who both sampled the Garrison schlong long amd hard. No commitments, but he is a very talented fuck, according to his past ladies.

by Anonymousreply 140October 21, 2018 9:37 PM

Garrison's still longtime partner is Patricia Ben Peterson.

by Anonymousreply 141October 21, 2018 10:07 PM

And he's tops in taps, r140!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142October 21, 2018 10:08 PM

[quote]Because we live in the present. Not the past.

And the present is completely narcissistic. Up until fairly recently, the present could empathize with the past. The slew of hyper-historically accurate Merchant/Ivory films are a good example. They were only 30 years ago. Individuals could empathize with character's whose experiences were nothing like their own. They did not need to have the world distorted to reflect themselves to the extent that we see today. When it did happen, it was usually unintentional as opposed to the blatant deconstruction. Theater today is not art, it is collage. It is a bunch of elementary school children cutting up magazines to make dubious "art".

[quote]The author’s estate gets their money, and should be damn glad.

The author's estates have control. They own the property, you do not. The fact that you perceive your will as more important than their rights is an indication of just how self involved you point of view is.

by Anonymousreply 143October 21, 2018 10:11 PM

There will never be a shortage of unimaginative, cookie-cutter revivals trying to be faithful to the original productions.

by Anonymousreply 144October 21, 2018 10:18 PM

If you are anle to watch it through...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145October 21, 2018 10:25 PM

^^able to watch

by Anonymousreply 146October 21, 2018 10:25 PM

So, you feel Manu Mimes should have barred midgets from A DOLL’S HOUSE?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147October 21, 2018 10:26 PM

Premiere night

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148October 21, 2018 10:26 PM

Above for R143

by Anonymousreply 149October 21, 2018 10:27 PM

R147/149 Unfortunately, I saw that production. So I can say, "yes" from a knowledgeable position.

by Anonymousreply 150October 21, 2018 10:33 PM

r145: that is one of the worst things I've ever seen. If I'd been able to sit through the whole thing, it might have been THE worst, but I gave up after they sang "phone rings, door chimes, in comes companeeeeee."

by Anonymousreply 151October 21, 2018 10:40 PM

What the hell is that thing on the left in r145's video?

by Anonymousreply 152October 21, 2018 10:53 PM

Stockard was visiting someone in my apartment building about a year ago and was in the lobby when I came home. Her face sure hadn't settled at that point because she looked so bad I may have literally gasped out loud. She was in a leather jacket, high heels, all done up but even in a FULL face of makeup I'm not sure I've ever seen worse plastic surgery.

I asked the doorman "Do you who that was? She's a famous actress, Stockard Channing." He said she'd given him her (real) name as Susan.

by Anonymousreply 153October 21, 2018 10:56 PM

Whatever it is, r152, it is truly hideous--and seems to be completely unaware of this.

by Anonymousreply 154October 21, 2018 11:00 PM

Has anyone proposed Billy Magnusson for Bobby? He'd be perfect.

by Anonymousreply 155October 21, 2018 11:05 PM

Chris Pine is closer to the right age for Bobby, R155. Billy’s too young. Has he hit 30 yet?

by Anonymousreply 156October 21, 2018 11:12 PM

It certainly appears inevitable that if the London Company doesn't come to Broadway next season there will be some Broadway revival of it very soon. I wonder if Marianne Elliott would consider doing it without her London cast?

Who would you like to see direct a new version of Company on Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 157October 21, 2018 11:12 PM

Billy is 33 and by the time they mount the next Broadway revival he'll be exactly the right age.

by Anonymousreply 158October 21, 2018 11:16 PM

Anna Kendrick for Bobbie in Companie.

by Anonymousreply 159October 21, 2018 11:18 PM

Not Kendrick. Too young, and too brittle.

by Anonymousreply 160October 21, 2018 11:20 PM

She's 33 and it isn't here yet.

by Anonymousreply 161October 21, 2018 11:21 PM

You think she'll get less brittle by the time it's ready to transfer?

by Anonymousreply 162October 21, 2018 11:25 PM

I don't find her brittle in the first place. She comes off as smart and talented.

by Anonymousreply 163October 21, 2018 11:27 PM

R143 r147 Are we allowed Shakespeare transported to different eras? The best MACBETH I saw, overall, was moved to WWII.

I also saw a cute MERRY WIVES OF WINDSOR done kind of like I LOVE LUCY...and a sweet LOVE’S LABORS LOST set in the 1930s. The king and and his three friends wore watching rugby uniforms. (I think at A.R.T.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164October 21, 2018 11:38 PM

Remember this production of Candide?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165October 21, 2018 11:50 PM

R164, changing period is not in itself an issue, as long as it doesn't alter the truth of the play. Macbeth set in WWII is fine. Life with Father set in the 1960s not fine. Actually, the recent "After Miss Julie" was not a bad idea. It was a shame it didn't quite jell.

by Anonymousreply 166October 21, 2018 11:51 PM

I’d love to see an indie film of COMPANY starring Billy Magnussen (brilliant casting idea, and he can sing it) and some interesting 30/40-somethings. Similar to what they did with HELLO, AGAIN recently. I get the feeling Sondheim always wants the most A-list cast imaginable for film versions of his material, though... and, time and time again, he’s gotten them.

Incidentally, I remember Billy being the only one of the INTO THE WOODS leads to be left off of posters and PR pieces. But, his star has risen since then. I remember seeing him in a Sondheim/Lloyd Webber mashup charity show at Joes Pub with his band and they did hard rock versions of some SWEENEY and SUPERSTAR songs that were really quite inspired (he didn’t sing lead, just backups and guitar), if very loud.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167October 21, 2018 11:52 PM

R143, the idea of a "historical" setting is a 19th century creation. Shakespeare's theater seems to have made little or no effort at historical accuracy. Until the 1900s (and even for a while after) there was little or no attempt at historical setting. If you look at paintings and prints, Romeo is in knee britches and Beatrice has panniers, just like the people in the audience.

Theater is always in the present tense.

by Anonymousreply 168October 21, 2018 11:56 PM

"And the present is completely narcissistic. Up until fairly recently, the present could empathize with the past. The slew of hyper-historically accurate Merchant/Ivory films are a good example. They were only 30 years ago. Individuals could empathize with character's whose experiences were nothing like their own. They did not need to have the world distorted to reflect themselves to the extent that we see today. When it did happen, it was usually unintentional as opposed to the blatant deconstruction. Theater today is not art, it is collage. It is a bunch of elementary school children cutting up magazines to make dubious "art"."

I'm reading a fascinating book of essays called AMERICAN AUDACITY by William Grimaldi that has much to say about the current malaise in our culture., albeit in the field of literature and letters, but much of it applies to our current theatrical situation as well:

"In the late 1960s and 1970s, the socially marginalized began to get a foothold in academia, and when (Harold) Bloom admits that he 'gave up on the academy's betrayal of the true use of literary study more than forty years ago,' he is referring to that foothold. Since that time he has been in almost constant combat with those academic politicizers he famously dubbed the School of Resentment...'a pride of displaced social workers...' all of them, to Bloom, denigrators of the imaginative faculty. In THE WESTERN CANON, Bloom asks, 'If multiculturalism meant Cervantes, who could quarrel with it?' But of course it doesn't mean Cervantes; it means for the most part woefully inadequate writers, aesthetically inert, chosen for their ethnicity only. The School of Resentment nurses their social grievances by devaluing the authors Bloom has spent a lifetime learning from...The callous denial of Shakespeare's aesthetic genius--a genius that exists outside of culture, race and history--in favor of a proto-feminist fourth-rater like Aphra Behn is an insult Bloom cannot let pass...(He) argues, 'The study of mediocrity, whatever its origins, breeds mediocrity...We do not accept tables and chairs whose legs fall off, no matter who carpentered them, but we urge the young to study mediocre writings, with no legs to sustain them."

by Anonymousreply 169October 21, 2018 11:56 PM

"And the present is completely narcissistic. Up until fairly recently, the present could empathize with the past. The slew of hyper-historically accurate Merchant/Ivory films are a good example. They were only 30 years ago. Individuals could empathize with character's whose experiences were nothing like their own. They did not need to have the world distorted to reflect themselves to the extent that we see today. When it did happen, it was usually unintentional as opposed to the blatant deconstruction. Theater today is not art, it is collage. It is a bunch of elementary school children cutting up magazines to make dubious "art"."

I'm reading a fascinating book of essays called AMERICAN AUDACITY by William Grimaldi that has much to say about the current malaise in our culture., albeit in the field of literature and letters, but much of it applies to our current theatrical situation as well:

"In the late 1960s and 1970s, the socially marginalized began to get a foothold in academia, and when (Harold) Bloom admits that he 'gave up on the academy's betrayal of the true use of literary study more than forty years ago,' he is referring to that foothold. Since that time he has been in almost constant combat with those academic politicizers he famously dubbed the School of Resentment...'a pride of displaced social workers...' all of them, to Bloom, denigrators of the imaginative faculty. In THE WESTERN CANON, Bloom asks, 'If multiculturalism meant Cervantes, who could quarrel with it?' But of course it doesn't mean Cervantes; it means for the most part woefully inadequate writers, aesthetically inert, chosen for their ethnicity only. The School of Resentment nurses their social grievances by devaluing the authors Bloom has spent a lifetime learning from...The callous denial of Shakespeare's aesthetic genius--a genius that exists outside of culture, race and history--in favor of a proto-feminist fourth-rater like Aphra Behn is an insult Bloom cannot let pass...(He) argues, 'The study of mediocrity, whatever its origins, breeds mediocrity...We do not accept tables and chairs whose legs fall off, no matter who carpentered them, but we urge the young to study mediocre writings, with no legs to sustain them."

by Anonymousreply 170October 21, 2018 11:57 PM

by Anonymousreply 171October 21, 2018 11:57 PM

by Anonymousreply 172October 21, 2018 11:57 PM

by Anonymousreply 173October 21, 2018 11:57 PM

by Anonymousreply 174October 21, 2018 11:57 PM

by Anonymousreply 175October 21, 2018 11:57 PM

by Anonymousreply 176October 21, 2018 11:57 PM

by Anonymousreply 177October 21, 2018 11:57 PM

WTF??

by Anonymousreply 178October 22, 2018 12:00 AM

The best production I've ever seen of Much Ado About Nothing was the RSC's in 1983 with Derek Jacobi and Sinead Cusack as Benedick and Beatrice. It was set in India during the Raj in the late 1800s, I think. It was the only time I've ever seen the character of Dogberry work since he was Indian and struggling to speak correct English. The whole thing was a delight. (The recent non-Branagh movie didn't work for me because it was set in the near-present when no one would have cared if dumb Hero wasn't a virgin.)

by Anonymousreply 179October 22, 2018 12:03 AM

The weird thing is this "school of resentment" has let so many great writers into the cannon who were previously excluded because of the narcissism of white men who could not see the value of great writers like Kalidasa, de Vega, Guan Hanqing, not to mention more recent playwrights from South America, Africa, and Asia.

by Anonymousreply 180October 22, 2018 12:07 AM

R168, not exactly. There was always an attempt at history, but it was often fanciful as the designers had very little documentation to work with. It is the equivalent of the representations of dolphins that look very little like actual dolphins. They did the best they could with what they had.

by Anonymousreply 181October 22, 2018 12:09 AM

Apologies for the serial re-posting. I have NO idea why that happened. Moderator, please delete, if possible.

by Anonymousreply 182October 22, 2018 12:20 AM

I saw Blythe Danner do a good Beatrice, set in the 1800s. It was in Central Park.

Kevin Kline was impressive and slightly cloying, as per usual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183October 22, 2018 12:20 AM

[quote]R182 Apologies for the serial re-posting....Moderator, please delete, if possible.

Her name is MURIEL.

by Anonymousreply 184October 22, 2018 12:21 AM

Did I bump into any chorus boys in that one, R183? On my third (OK, fourth) glass of Pinot so a little foggy on the details...

by Anonymousreply 185October 22, 2018 12:21 AM

And I saw TV stars Jimmy Smits and Kristen Johnston (WEHT?) in another lovely Much Ado in Central Park in the early 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 186October 22, 2018 12:24 AM

Surely Pearl Bailey shouldn’t have been barred from HELLO, DOLLY, even if it wasn’t what Thornton Wilder originally envisioned?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187October 22, 2018 12:34 AM

R181, where to begin...

First, there were no designers. Outside of court masques, that visual language did not matter much.

And this idea that they were so benighted before the 19th century that they could not know what people of other times and places looked like, goes against the evidence we have in paintings and drawings. Renaissance artists and those who came after would often put a few figures in historical costume and the rest in modern dress. The Peachum drawing shows Titus wearing a sash meant to approximate ancient Roman dress, but all the other figures wore contemporary clothing.

The evidence shows that they did have some idea but just did not care.

by Anonymousreply 188October 22, 2018 12:57 AM

And this is not uncommon or unintelligent. But it a fallacy.

We tend to project our ideas of theater and entertainment back onto previous times and assume that things were created the same way they are made now or that audience expectations were the same as they are now. Someone here dismissed the way theater was done in the past as mere "custom" with the implication that the "normal" way to do it is the way we do it now.

But things really were different. Shakespeare's audience had seen actresses on tour from Italy, but preferred boys for home grown drama. Footlights and stand and deliver musical staging and anachronistic costume/setting were not seen by their audiences as limitations in each age, but rather positive things.

We see them differently, but that does not mean that way things are done now is what they would have wanted, but could not. It just means our values have changed.

by Anonymousreply 189October 22, 2018 1:21 AM

And how did audiences in the 1500s react to giant ape puppets?

by Anonymousreply 190October 22, 2018 1:26 AM

Just got home from Daniel's Husband, a watchable but hokey play dealing with the rights gay marriage brings. Ryan Spahn and Matthew Montelongo were both good. Some ex-soap actress played Spahn's mother (Anna Holbrook?) and was awful. And there was some cute twink in it named Leland somethingorother who warmed up into his role and was quite good. Lou Liberatore was wasted in a nothing role. Man, has he hit the wall. He looks like an old Italian Grandpa.

by Anonymousreply 191October 22, 2018 1:34 AM

I think I want us to go back to dissecting Follies after reading such strenuous internal reflections.

by Anonymousreply 192October 22, 2018 1:34 AM

The best Sarah Brown I heard sung was Ernestine Jackson in the 1976 Motown version.

Her IF I WERE A BELL is perfection. Wish it were on YouTube for more to enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 193October 22, 2018 1:35 AM

[quote]R192 I think I want us to go back to dissecting Follies after reading such strenuous internal reflections.

Can we have a FOLLIES set at the Cotton Club? Or do we need whitey’s permission for [italic]that,[/italic], too?

by Anonymousreply 194October 22, 2018 1:41 AM

[quote]R189 Shakespeare's audience had seen actresses on tour from Italy, but preferred boys for home grown drama.

They would have joined us in picketing Goop ! !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195October 22, 2018 1:48 AM

[quote]And I saw TV stars Jimmy Smits and Kristen Johnston (WEHT?) in another lovely Much Ado in Central Park in the early 2000s.

Kristen, who's now ENORMOUS, is in the middle of a recurring role arc on "Mom," with Allison Janney and Anna Faris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196October 22, 2018 1:59 AM

R193, I worked on that production of GUYS & DOLLS. The cast was led by Norma Donaldson as Miss Adelaide, Robert Guillaume as Nathan Detroit, Ernestine Jackson as Sarah Brown, and James Randolph as Sky Masterson and Ken Page as Nicely-Nicely Johnson. Billy Wilson directed and choreographed the production which was nominated for three Tony Awards.

And for many years, I had the huge bright pink neon sign from the marquis as a wall ornament in my living room (until it died).

No one on DL ever mentions Ashton Springer, who was one of the producers. Owner of a coin-operated laundromat in Queens, he became a flamboyant player in the Broadway scene in the 1970s, until he joined the ranks of several other producers who were convicted of cheating the government and their investors. Though he never went to jail, it effectively ended his career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197October 22, 2018 2:08 AM

I wonder what’s up with Kristen Johnston? It wasn’t that long ago that she was so thin that people were worried about her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198October 22, 2018 2:13 AM

R197 Thank you, Billy! Neat to hear!

by Anonymousreply 199October 22, 2018 2:26 AM

R197 Love your stories Billy, that thread on tours and Summer Stock was bloody legendary!

by Anonymousreply 200October 22, 2018 2:28 AM

R191, down here in Florida Daniels Husband was greeted like the second coming. But it is weird that everyone talks in idioms from the 50s and 60s. (Refs to Tallullah Bankhead and wearing long pants, etc)

by Anonymousreply 201October 22, 2018 2:53 AM

[QUOTE]Someone here dismissed the way theater was done in the past as mere "custom" with the implication that the "normal" way to do it is the way we do it now.

I made no such implication, nor was it a dismissal. This is just another example of you making up a strawman argument so you can go on and on about something because you (mistakenly) think you're interesting.

by Anonymousreply 202October 22, 2018 3:02 AM

[quote]Just got home from Daniel's Husband, a watchable but hokey play dealing with the rights gay marriage brings.

If you think that play is "hokey," I weep for you.

by Anonymousreply 203October 22, 2018 3:13 AM

I'm bummed Anna H. was bad. How so?

by Anonymousreply 204October 22, 2018 3:15 AM

Poor David Garrison . Harvey was a tough act to follow in the original Torch Song Trilogy. He WAS Arnold. David was in a lose/lose situation. Henry Goodman and the first replacement cast of ACL suffered a similar fate. No one was going to be happy with them.

by Anonymousreply 205October 22, 2018 3:18 AM

Lauren Ambrose *is* Bobbie in Company, except on two show days, days when she doesn't feel like getting out of bed and just general days when one of her kids needs some attention. But she'll show up if Tony nominated.

by Anonymousreply 206October 22, 2018 3:43 AM

Is The Ferryman really Paddy Considine's FIRST theatre role? Quite the debut.

by Anonymousreply 207October 22, 2018 4:09 AM

Lucie Arnaz would make an impressive Joanne, vibrato and all.

by Anonymousreply 208October 22, 2018 4:12 AM

[quote] I'm bummed Anna H. was bad. How so?

She was RECITING! her lines. She had no connection to the character whatsoever. Every time she entered the stage (after the first) I winced because I knew the stage was about to get hit with some ACTING!

[quote] If you think that play is "hokey," I weep for you.

And if you think it's great theater, weep for yourself. It was an ABC Afterschool Special about the dangers of not saying yes to gay marriage. Be careful, gays and lesbians, if you don't exercise your right to get married THIS could happen to YOU! It was pure propaganda and complete bullshit.

SPOILERS

The main character himself said if they had just signed each other's health care proxies, all would have been taken care of, so that little tidbit negated the entire plot. It reduced the play from "If you're not married, the law can take away your crippled partner" to, "if you're lazy, the law can take away your crippled partner." It was pro-marriage propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 209October 22, 2018 12:22 PM

A most lovely Much Ado.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210October 22, 2018 12:59 PM

I thought the reason boys and young men were employed to play women onstage in Shakespeare's time was because there was genuine concern that actresses onstage would incite the crowds to rioting.

But it was Charles II, when he was restored to the throne, who brought actresses back.

by Anonymousreply 211October 22, 2018 1:21 PM

First of all, there were designers in Shakespeare's time.

Inigo Jones is the only name that survives but his drawings still exist.

by Anonymousreply 212October 22, 2018 1:25 PM

Don't forget Jane Greenwood, r212.

by Anonymousreply 213October 22, 2018 2:46 PM

R213 DYING. Thanks for the laugh

by Anonymousreply 214October 22, 2018 2:56 PM

Reviews

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215October 22, 2018 3:25 PM

Ariana Grande IS Bobbie!

She has loved everything Sondheim all her life! She has earned this!

by Anonymousreply 216October 22, 2018 3:31 PM

Was that Company/George Furth/Kim Stanley discussion in the last thread? Anyway, according to the Secrest Biography (which is often not accurate but whatever) the plays were actually going to be produced as an evening of one-acts with a cast consisting of Stanley, John McMartin,and Ron Liebman; the play was close to opening when the producer bailed. That's when Furth turned to Sondheim for advice and he in turn went to Prince.

by Anonymousreply 217October 22, 2018 3:45 PM

When I was very young I saw the original broadcast of that Much Ado and fell in love with Waterston then and there. No one can surpass for me having seen it at such an impressionable age him and Widdoes in those roles.

by Anonymousreply 218October 22, 2018 5:27 PM

[quote]The main character himself said if they had just signed each other's health care proxies, all would have been taken care of, so that little tidbit negated the entire plot. It reduced the play from "If you're not married, the law can take away your crippled partner" to, "if you're lazy, the law can take away your crippled partner." It was pro-marriage propaganda.

No, it's not pro-marriage propaganda. The play is much more complex and is about a lot more than that.

by Anonymousreply 219October 22, 2018 5:38 PM

[quote] No, it's not pro-marriage propaganda. The play is much more complex and is about a lot more than that.

Hardly. It was barely able to put across its main issue without taking a clown sized sledgehammer and whacking one over the head with it.

by Anonymousreply 220October 22, 2018 5:56 PM

I have a question for those who are savvy about Shakespeare broadcasts.

When I was in high school, in the dark ages of 1981, our English class watched a video of Richard Chamberlain in a Shakespeare play. The reason I remember it is because our spinster English teacher said, "He's so gorgeous, too bad he's gay." I thought that the play we were watching was Taming of the Shrew, but I can't find out anything about it. Anyone know anything about Richard Chamberlain performing in Taming of the Shrew?

by Anonymousreply 221October 22, 2018 6:42 PM

[quote]Hardly. It was barely able to put across its main issue without taking a clown sized sledgehammer and whacking one over the head with it.

Obviously, I disagree with you.

R221, I assume you're referring to the HAMLET that Chamberlain did for TV.

by Anonymousreply 222October 22, 2018 6:47 PM

Per IMDb, Chamberlain did a TV Hamlet in 1970 with Michael Redgrave as Polonius, Margaret Leighton as Gertrude, John Gielgud as the Ghost and Alan Bennett as Osric.

Speaking of televised Shakespeare and Much Ado, is anyone else watching PBS's Shakespeare Uncovered series? The first episode of this season focused on Much Ado with Helen Hunt as the host. They showed a brief clip from a 1967 television production of Much Ado with Maggie Smith as Beatrice that was thought to be long-lost. She was very... Maggie Smith, and I would have happily watched the entire grainy b/w film, overly fussy costumes and all.

by Anonymousreply 223October 22, 2018 6:56 PM

[quote]I assume you're referring to the HAMLET that Chamberlain did for TV.

I don't think it was Hamlet because I think it was done in front of an audience. I'll have to do a bit more research.

by Anonymousreply 224October 22, 2018 7:11 PM

doesn't seem to be here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225October 22, 2018 7:26 PM

R224, I think it must have been HAMLET, so maybe you're just not remembering correctly about the audience. Or maybe it wasn't a Shakespeare play, maybe it was THE GOOD DOCTOR by Chekhov? Anyway, you can just go to imdb.com, type in Chamberlain's name, and check all of his credits that way.

by Anonymousreply 226October 22, 2018 7:34 PM

I think it was this production we saw and maybe the teacher said this guy reminded her of Richard Chamberlain or she wished that RC had played the role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227October 22, 2018 7:35 PM

A mashup of current topics. It wasn't this but whatever.

A nelly man playing Bobby is just weird. And why is Bernadette is yelling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228October 22, 2018 7:38 PM

R227 -- maybe, but Richard Chamberlain was/is a lot more famous, and more famously gay, than Marc Singer. Also, Singer and Chamberlain bear very little if any resemblance to each other.

by Anonymousreply 229October 22, 2018 7:42 PM

R228

I never thought of that song as a comedy solo before. But now I can't unsee it.

by Anonymousreply 230October 22, 2018 7:49 PM

A quick scan of imdb tells us Richard Chamberlain played Octavius Caesar in Julius Caesar in 1970. That appears to be his only Shakespeare credit on film.

Though I could have sworn he'd filmed Hamlet and maybe Richard II.

by Anonymousreply 231October 22, 2018 7:50 PM

Chamberlain did HAMLET for TV, not as a film released theatrically. See link and scroll down to 1970. I remember watching this when it aired. One reason it stuck in my memory was that -- if I recall correctly -- it was filmed/taped in an odd way, with the interiors videotaped in a studio and the exteriors filmed on actual film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232October 22, 2018 7:58 PM

r230 I'm really sorry!

BTW that was only part of a longer suite of numbers from Company. Bernadette also does the April monologue and I'm pretty sure Carol Burnett did Ladies Who Lunch.

by Anonymousreply 233October 22, 2018 7:59 PM

Maggie Smith is ALWAYS Maggie Smith......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234October 22, 2018 8:03 PM

Marc Singer and Fredi Olster (I think that's her last name) were fabulous in that production of Shrew. PBS showed it several times a week when I was a teen and I must have sat through it 5 or 6 times...maybe more (insert MARY here). And it wasn't just because I thought Singer was hot.

by Anonymousreply 235October 22, 2018 8:05 PM

[quote]A nelly man playing Bobby is just weird.

I know, right?

by Anonymousreply 236October 22, 2018 8:28 PM

R232 That's not unusual for British television at the time. There's even a Monty Pyton sketch about it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237October 22, 2018 8:30 PM

I remember those Sylvia Kaye musical excerpts from PBS. I thought Chamberlain was great casting. They did Oklahoma and John Davidson was just great but Carol Burnett doing Ado Annie was not. And you'll never forget Miss Bonnie Franklin doing "A Wonderful Guy".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238October 22, 2018 8:31 PM

R236 I’ll give you Barrowman, but gay isn’t the same as nelly.

by Anonymousreply 239October 22, 2018 8:32 PM

Thanks R237. I did not know that, and I have to say, I remember that all the switching back and forth between videotape and film in HAMLET was very distracting.

by Anonymousreply 240October 22, 2018 8:33 PM

[quote]I did not know that, and I have to say, I remember that all the switching back and forth between videotape and film in HAMLET was very distracting.

They also did that with episodes of Upstairs, Downstairs. All the indoor scenes were very realistic looking. But on the few occasions where they filmed an outdoor scene, the poor quality of film was very noticeable in how poorly it was done, lighting, etc.

by Anonymousreply 241October 22, 2018 8:47 PM

Videotape was cheaper to record on and easier to edit, but the cameras were huge and needed studio lighting, making them ineffective for external shots, hence the use of film.

by Anonymousreply 242October 22, 2018 8:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243October 22, 2018 9:00 PM

R211, it is not clear exactly why women did not appear on the English Renaissance stage because it was so taken for granted that no one re specifically explained it. It is sort of how until recently no one explained why white actors in Raisin in the Sun was unthinkable. It was so strong a taboo that no one ever had to justify it.

Italian actresses on tour appeared on stage in England and other women on special occasions performed songs in the theaters (though not as actresses).

by Anonymousreply 244October 22, 2018 9:20 PM

R212, Inigo Jones designed masques. Those were for court entertainment and were not performed in the theater

by Anonymousreply 245October 22, 2018 9:23 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246October 22, 2018 9:30 PM

[quote]the play was close to opening when the producer bailed.

No. The play was sort-of close to rehearsal, not opening.

by Anonymousreply 247October 22, 2018 9:41 PM

The Chamberlain Hamlet is one of my fave versions of the play. It moves like lightning (thanks to judicious cutting and playing), and RC is excellent ...and gorgeous (those sideburns, Mon Dieu!)

by Anonymousreply 248October 22, 2018 9:57 PM

Though he didn't come out as gay until decades later, Richard Chamberlain was brave to forgo commercial projects and put himself into lots of classic theater and serious movies (like The Music Lovers, Lady Caroline Lamb and Petulia) after he finished with Dr. Kildare. I believe he left Hollywood for England in the mid-1960s.

I worked with him on a play in the early 1980s. He was very professional and competent, if not brilliant or particularly warm and friendly.

by Anonymousreply 249October 22, 2018 11:17 PM

He was a regular doll!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250October 22, 2018 11:21 PM

OMG!! When I was in junior high (I'm old!) every girl in my class wore a Dr. Kildare smock blouse to school.

I was a Ben Casey fan. I liked them hairy.

by Anonymousreply 251October 22, 2018 11:23 PM

[quote]The Chamberlain Hamlet is one of my fave versions of the play. It moves like lightning (thanks to judicious cutting and playing)

Unlike the John Voight version which was the whole damn play performed at a glacial, method actor pace.

by Anonymousreply 252October 22, 2018 11:24 PM

He's a doll, too, r251!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253October 22, 2018 11:26 PM

[quote]r235 Fredi Olster (I think that's her last name) was fabulous in that production of Shrew

EXCUSE me ? ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254October 22, 2018 11:27 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255October 22, 2018 11:35 PM

Did anyone ever try to put Swing Kids on Broadway?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256October 22, 2018 11:36 PM

Wasn't the ill-fated Barry Manilow musical Band in Berlin based on the same material, r256?

I know of many people and companies that lost a lot of money when that show folded during its final rehearsals and never saw the stage.

by Anonymousreply 257October 22, 2018 11:41 PM

I think Band in Berlin was the same material as a different piece, r257. There was another play version, can’t remember the name now.

by Anonymousreply 258October 23, 2018 12:51 AM

Re Brits being cast more in American production than vice-versa: Americans, in general, are more receptive toward Brits, whereas Brits seem to have a chip on their shoulder regarding Americans. The ones I've met seem to have a love/hate relationship with America(ns). Very snobby, too. This goes for accents, too. There's a myth that Americans suck at British accent and that Brits excel at American accents. But the Brits are just as bad. I can always tell when a Brit is playing an American. Their accents often slip. However, like I said, Americans are more receptive and forgiving. On YouTube videos where Brits attempt American accents, you will always see Americans posting things like "That was close enough" or making some sort of excuse for them and being overall supportive. But go to "Americans attempt British accents" and all the Brits have the knives out and won't give Americans a break. Seriously. Check them out. Some non-American/non-Brit posters have even commented that Americans seem easygoing and are much nicer to Brits than vice-versa.

In short, Brits get more roles in American films/movies/theater than vice-versa because Americans are nice and the Brits take advantage of that.

by Anonymousreply 259October 23, 2018 12:59 AM

Imagine taking YouTube comments as the opinion of an entire nation of people. Seems like you're the one with a chip on your shoulder, R259.

[QUOTE]The ones I've met seem to have a love/hate relationship with America(ns).

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

by Anonymousreply 260October 23, 2018 1:06 AM

The Barry Manilow musical was called Harmony if I remember correctly.. Band in Berlin covered the same story much differently.

by Anonymousreply 261October 23, 2018 1:25 AM

Everytime I hear a Brit do an American accent on tv, it sounds like a cross between someone from Brooklyn trying to do a Texas accent. We all don't "tawk tough" and we all don't talk with a "drawwwwwwwwl."

by Anonymousreply 262October 23, 2018 1:42 AM

[quote] All this talk about Barrowman in "Company." I thought he was awful. He came off as a dumb frat boy. Actually, the production was pretty horrible, even the Esparza version was better, and that's saying a lot. Nothing has come close to the original. (Sorry, Eldergay alert)

My favorite Bobby was big-dicked Justin Guarini, in Bucks County, PA. (I saw Dean Jones in the concert version in Long Beach and he was excellent, but since it was a concert, I don't count it)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263October 23, 2018 2:04 AM

Here's to the ladies who munch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264October 23, 2018 2:26 AM

I had no idea Justin was that hot. I just remember him from his somewhat goofy Sideshow Bob look from his Idol days. Can he act?

by Anonymousreply 265October 23, 2018 2:27 AM

R259, here in the US the belief is the opposite--that our conservatory trained stage actors are good with Brit regional accents, but that British actors are not good with American accents, and get the regional nuances all wrong.

And decades of NYC play-going and BBC drama watching leads me to think this is very true.

by Anonymousreply 266October 23, 2018 2:28 AM

The reason British actors and productions are more welcome here than vice versa is simple. The Brits are far better.

by Anonymousreply 267October 23, 2018 2:41 AM

Holy smokes! I just watched a bootleg of Summer, and I don't think I have ever seen such crap in my life. It would not have been out of place on the stage of a Holiday Inn bar in Topeka, KS, or on the stage of a high school theater project. The writing had the depth of stale fortune cookies, the set looked like it was cobbled together with leftover craft supplies from my 6 year old sister's art class, and the choreography had none of the excitement and allure of disco. And, although La Chanze is a wonderful singer and actress, she was miscast. La Chanze is warm and earthy and like your big sister you want to have tea with and talk about boys and the state of the earth, Summer was more arch and glam and more of a diva. I knew Summer slightly -- we lived in Nashville at the same time, and our paths crossed several times -- and, although she was nice enough, she was not warm the way La Chanze is.

What an incredible train wreck piece of shit show. It is depressing that it is making money, because it will just cause producers to mount more of the same. How can anyone like this show?!? What, are they too young to get in to their local Holiday Inn bar?

by Anonymousreply 268October 23, 2018 2:44 AM

[quote]Summer was more arch and glam and more of a diva. I knew Summer slightly -- we lived in Nashville at the same time, and our paths crossed several times -- and, although she was nice enough, she was not warm

You probably knew her before her Jesus days. Once she became born again, she was warm and friendly and gracious.

by Anonymousreply 269October 23, 2018 2:52 AM

[quote] It is depressing that it is making money, because it will just cause producers to mount more of the same.

r268 it's probably not making money, at 47& of GP last week. not that there aren't a long line of these jukebox bio musicals still coming but maybe the really crappy ones will fail and make people realize they can't just throw these together, Michael Jackson, Temptations, Cher, Tina turner and people in meetings are still calling them biopics - some even pronounce it rhyming with "myopic'

by Anonymousreply 270October 23, 2018 3:09 AM

Glenn hosted an event about mental illness this weekend with many Broadway "stars", I'm told... Whoopi "rape-rape" and others participated, so there's that. I hope it alleviated her PTSD or fibro or whatever for the moment... I sent my love and returned my RSVP in a timely fashion.

by Anonymousreply 271October 23, 2018 5:10 AM

r263

I need proof of big dickness

by Anonymousreply 272October 23, 2018 9:33 AM

Guarini had major trouser trout in IN TRANSIT

by Anonymousreply 273October 23, 2018 10:56 AM

R272 Maybe DL fav Telly Leung can weigh in

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274October 23, 2018 1:10 PM

Justin Guarini has a gorgeous legit tenor. I didn't see him in Encores' Paint Your Wagon but his rendition of I Talk to the Trees and a couple of other ballads on the CD is truly magnificent.

by Anonymousreply 275October 23, 2018 1:31 PM

I was about to say that Justin is doing Anything Goes in DC starting soon but that is Corbin Bleu

by Anonymousreply 276October 23, 2018 1:40 PM

Why was he the best tho r263

by Anonymousreply 277October 23, 2018 1:51 PM

r276 I had never seen Corbin Bleu in anything previously, but I thought he was very impressive in that PBS telecast of "Holiday Inn."

by Anonymousreply 278October 23, 2018 2:42 PM

Corbin is spectacularly talented and very hot. But he needs a restyle of his hair.

by Anonymousreply 279October 23, 2018 2:57 PM

Meaning you're not OK with his having black hair?

by Anonymousreply 280October 23, 2018 3:00 PM

[quote]Here in the US the belief is the opposite--that our conservatory trained stage actors are good with Brit regional accents, but that British actors are not good with American accents, and get the regional nuances all wrong. "

Can we please stop making huge generalizations? The truth is that some Brit actors can do excellent U.S. accents (for example, Hugh Laurie, Daniel Radcliffe, Kate Winslet), while others cannot, and vice versa. Nor is it the "belief" of everyone in the U.S. that Brits are not good at American accents.

[quote]Holy smokes! I just watched a bootleg of Summer, and I don't think I have ever seen such crap in my life.

And the sad thing is, that's an understatement :-(

[quote]Once she became born again, she was warm and friendly and gracious.

And a deluded, ignorant homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 281October 23, 2018 3:52 PM

Thanks for posting that clip of Anna Kendrick back when she had talent and loads of promise. Richard Chamberlin is great in Petulia and it was very daring for him to take on a role like that after playing goody goody Dr Kildaire. He could easily have kept making crap like Joy in the Morning opposite Yvette Mimieux but he took some big chances and ended up having a nice career. He would have had a better career but, sadly, he's not a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 282October 23, 2018 4:03 PM

Now Rosie is blabbing that she'll be playing Mrs. Brice but not sure if Gaga will be Fanny. I really wish she would just go away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283October 23, 2018 4:12 PM

Run, Gaga, Run away. It would be nice to see you in a Broadway show, but not any show that Rosie comes in contact with.

by Anonymousreply 284October 23, 2018 4:15 PM

Oh.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285October 23, 2018 4:15 PM

r68 The Atlanta Shakespeare Tavern, a hidden cultural treasure, is doing Hamlet April 13 to May 5. It's an original practice playhouse with a replica of the Globe stage. I found the place on a work trip and have returned once a year since. For 20 bucks I saw a Merchant of Venice that was 100x better than the Darko whats-his-name version with F Murray Abraham filled with high tech gizmos and modern Wall Street dress.

The Tavern casts are a mix of Equity and apprentices and their work is thoughtful and presented well.

Yes, I know, Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 286October 23, 2018 5:05 PM

Anyone seen The Ferryman? If so, do tell.

by Anonymousreply 287October 23, 2018 6:14 PM

I want to go to see The Ferryman and Paddy Considine's classic BDF.

by Anonymousreply 288October 23, 2018 6:25 PM

Stood in line for two hours yesterday at the Orpheum Theatre (aka, The Orph) in San Francisco to get front-row loge seats to Hamilton in August 2019. Jealous...anyone? Bitches?

by Anonymousreply 289October 23, 2018 6:27 PM

who the hell cares what nickname the locals give the theater?

by Anonymousreply 290October 23, 2018 6:36 PM

The Ferryman is excellent!

by Anonymousreply 291October 23, 2018 6:48 PM

R288 - you want to pay hundreds of dollars to see a face that you assume is tangentially attached to a big dick?

Have you no porn sir?

by Anonymousreply 292October 23, 2018 6:51 PM

I like both! But I can't afford to pay hundreds of dollars. Given that it's a play, it will have a separate window from the musicals at tkts and it will probably be available a lot.

by Anonymousreply 293October 23, 2018 6:53 PM

r290 is new here.

by Anonymousreply 294October 23, 2018 7:51 PM

I was just thinking about Taina Elg.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295October 23, 2018 7:55 PM

No one, but no one, in SF calls it “the Orph” just like no one in NY calls theatres the nicknames that DL has memed to death. Some asshole thought he was being cute about five or six years ago and made up the “in the business, we call it the James” lie, and it’s one of DL’s stupider routines.

The thought that SF would demean itself further by subscribing to such a puerile routine is just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 296October 23, 2018 8:02 PM

[quote]Some asshole thought he was being cute about five or six years ago and made up the “in the business, we call it the James” lie, and it’s one of DL’s stupider routines.

I thought it was funny.

by Anonymousreply 297October 23, 2018 8:06 PM

Or as those in the business call it, the biz.

by Anonymousreply 298October 23, 2018 8:08 PM

Just don't try that shit in Mr. Orpheum's office.

by Anonymousreply 299October 23, 2018 8:27 PM

Overheard someone say that Liza in the Bob Fosse/Gwen Verdon miniseries is being played by someone named Carrie who was in Doctor Zhivago?

by Anonymousreply 300October 23, 2018 9:03 PM

Is the NYTimes going to review the London revisal of Company or just leave it at the feature they ran on it a couple of weeks ago?

by Anonymousreply 301October 23, 2018 10:37 PM

Would the Times normally review a West End production?

by Anonymousreply 302October 23, 2018 10:39 PM

[r302] the irony being 25 years ago it was that very thing that sunk LuPone in London’s Sunset

by Anonymousreply 303October 23, 2018 10:55 PM

I saw The Ferryman in London about 6 months ago and was fairly engrossed with it for its 3 hours.

However, if you put a gun to my head now, I couldn't tell you the plot or much else about it.

by Anonymousreply 304October 23, 2018 11:26 PM

I just received word I've gotten a callback for Jennyanydots in the movie version of Cats, or as we in the biz call it, Cats. Any advice on how to play the part? I was thinking smart and warm but strident. And most of all independent. Wish me luck!

by Anonymousreply 305October 23, 2018 11:55 PM

no advice, but Merde.

by Anonymousreply 306October 24, 2018 12:02 AM

Glenn, dear, I think you may have misheard "Jennyanydots" for "litter box". Sorry I have to be the one to break it to you. Do have your hearing checked, especially at your age. Since a job is a job (for you), how well do you scoop? And, I don't mean your singing (though we are familiar with your singing, ahem, style).

by Anonymousreply 307October 24, 2018 12:04 AM

[quote]I just received word I've gotten a callback for Jennyanydots in the movie version of Cats, or as we in the biz call it, Cats. Any advice on how to play the part?

Play it just like Meryl and you'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 308October 24, 2018 12:31 AM

At dinner with Lord Andrew to discuss my doing the SUNSET film and I confirmed with him that he has written the new role of "Jan The Litter Box" in CATS just for you, Glenn! How fortuitous. It is a silent role, but to be on screen at all will be boon to your "career". Anyway, aperitifs are being served... perhaps I will make due with your role in SUNSET, after all. How lucky for us both.

by Anonymousreply 309October 24, 2018 12:39 AM

Sure, Jan!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310October 24, 2018 12:54 AM

[quote]no advice, but Merde.

I think it’s spelled “Meryl”

by Anonymousreply 311October 24, 2018 12:55 AM

Oh, dear sweet Meryl. Your alzheimer's must be kicking up again. I spoke with Andrew and he says he saw you and your purple hair in Into The Woods. He doesn't think he can afford your star salary *AND* autotune as well. So he's going to choose autotune and hire a less, how shall we say, expensive star.

by Anonymousreply 312October 24, 2018 12:55 AM

[quote]He doesn't think he can afford your star salary *AND* autotune as well. So he's going to choose autotune and hire a less, how shall we say, expensive star.

I'll sweeten notes for $500 and a turkey sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 313October 24, 2018 12:57 AM

[quote]r296 No one, but no one, in SF calls it “the Orph” just like no one in NY calls theatres the nicknames that DL has memed to death

“San Francisco has no Orph Theater. That was a stupid lie, easy to expose...unworthy of you.”

by Anonymousreply 314October 24, 2018 12:57 AM

Is there anything worse than the M and G person posting back and forth to himself?

by Anonymousreply 315October 24, 2018 1:14 AM

Jukebox musicals, R315. But that's it.

by Anonymousreply 316October 24, 2018 1:20 AM

r315 will be sorry when the M&G meme enters mainstream culture.

by Anonymousreply 317October 24, 2018 1:26 AM

R315. You made me laugh out loud. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 318October 24, 2018 1:28 AM

Well, G is definitely a he so R315 is onto something there.

by Anonymousreply 319October 24, 2018 1:48 AM

The M & G meme won’t enter the mainstream because it has no basis in reality, whereas Bette and Joan was basically all true.

by Anonymousreply 320October 24, 2018 1:59 AM

That Janet Blair "One Touch of Venus" is on Amazon Prime, and she's really good in it. However, Russell Nype has no sex appeal at all.

by Anonymousreply 321October 24, 2018 3:03 AM

Does this count as elder abuse?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322October 24, 2018 3:07 AM

r322 This doesn't quite look up to The Christmas Candle with DL Fave Samantha Barks, but BRAVO BRAVO, I have heard the denouement includes a genuine coup de theatre/cinema.

by Anonymousreply 323October 24, 2018 4:13 AM

Random thoughts -

That 1976 Taming of the Shrew with Marc Singer was from ACT in San Francisco. One of my college roommates was in that production.

Saw The Ferryman last week. Three and a half hours that never drags with a shocker ending. Paddy Considine is great. Not a show that's likely to get a lot of productions with 11 cast members playing under 18. The guys playing JJ and Michael are both cute.

Saw King Kong. Piece of shite other than the monkey. (The leading lady is OK and deserves better material. The leading man is woefully miscast). I hadn't realized breakdancing was so popular in early 30s New York.

I quite enjoyed Cherry Jones, Bobby Canavale and Daniel Radcliffe in their new play with the title I can never remember.

by Anonymousreply 324October 24, 2018 4:32 AM

The New York Times is reviewing COMPANY, to run on Saturday in the international edition.

by Anonymousreply 325October 24, 2018 4:36 AM

The problem with these huge cast shows (like The Ferryman or that other Butterworth show, Jerusalem or August: Osage County) is that no one can afford to do them, that can do them any kind of justice. If a big regional theater decides to do a show this huge (outside NYC or Chicago), that means the other 5 to 7 shows in their season have to be solos or two handers.

There's only so much Mike Daisey and Lauren Weedman solo shows to go round....

by Anonymousreply 326October 24, 2018 4:46 AM

Anyone see the first preview of Prom?

by Anonymousreply 327October 24, 2018 4:49 AM

r326 I'm sure they can find a way to slap together a Forever Plaid no problem.

by Anonymousreply 328October 24, 2018 4:50 AM

Glenn's DEATH & THE MAIDEN is a three-hander, isn't it? Maybe they can do that. I haven't heard about it since the Polanksi film with Sig in her role... but, there's that.

by Anonymousreply 329October 24, 2018 5:44 AM

I saw Manilow’s “Harmony” when it was trying out at the La Jolla Playhouse in 1997. Based on the a capella men’s singing group The Comedian Harmonists, who were undergoing a revival in interest at the time, the show suffered from a dull book and unmemorable songs. A more recent production in LA.in 2014 didn’t do much better.

(Incidentally, the Comedian Harmonists weren’t nearly as interesting as their reputation. In 30’s Germany, a line of white guys in evening clothes, just standing there, singing current pop songs, like “Happy Days Are Here Again,” though in beautiful harmony. They sang both German and English songs, and were pretty innocuous. Despite suppression by the Nazis, they still were hardly avant garde. A German movie about them had some slight popularity in the mid-90’s, but, if there’s a stage musical in their story, it has yet to emerge.)

———

I was also in the audience at the Delacorte in 1976, the night “Kiss Me Petruchio”was filmed. My ex-wife, my now-deceased older brother, and I had excellent seats in the middle of center. The whole performance was filmed by people with cameras.The moment when a woman stood up to protest Petruchio’s sexist attitude seemed staged. Streep was wonderful, funny and tiuching. Julia was Julia, whom I always found mannered.

Curiously, this is the first time I’ve noticed “Kiss Me Petruchio” on video. It’s never been released commercially. I’ve never seen it. I’m reluctant to see my now long-dead brother chortling away, and views of a time so long ago. I may watch this, but I’m not in a big hurry.

by Anonymousreply 330October 24, 2018 10:22 AM

Anyone? The Prom?

by Anonymousreply 331October 24, 2018 10:25 AM

Go to Broadway World message board R331. Several people have commented on the first preview. Mostly favorable.

by Anonymousreply 332October 24, 2018 11:24 AM

Off-topic.....is this really Suzy's voice?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333October 24, 2018 1:01 PM

R333 It sounds like her. Plus she was one of the finalists to play Louise in the original Bway Gypsy, so she must have had some singing chops.

by Anonymousreply 334October 24, 2018 1:26 PM

For what it's worth, there was a Broadway musical based on the Comedian Harmonists story. It was called "Band In Berlin", and is justly forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 335October 24, 2018 2:09 PM

Funny you mention that, R335, since at least three other people already have.

by Anonymousreply 336October 24, 2018 2:10 PM

Oh, really, R300. Was it by any chance your best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend who heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with a girl???

by Anonymousreply 337October 24, 2018 2:21 PM

Kelli Barrett from Zhivago is playing Liza in the Fosse movie.

by Anonymousreply 338October 24, 2018 2:25 PM

////

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339October 24, 2018 2:45 PM

This is fabulous, r339. ^^

by Anonymousreply 340October 24, 2018 2:51 PM

[quote]The problem with these huge cast shows (like The Ferryman or that other Butterworth show, Jerusalem or August: Osage County) is that no one can afford to do them, that can do them any kind of justice. If a big regional theater decides to do a show this huge (outside NYC or Chicago), that means the other 5 to 7 shows in their season have to be solos or two handers.

Are you sure about that? Isn't the pay scale for LORT theaters somewhat lower in comparison to other costs than the pay scale on Broadway? That would make the large-cast shows more, rather than less, affordable at regional theaters, and I think that's even more true when there are children in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 341October 24, 2018 2:57 PM

[quote]perhaps I will make due

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 342October 24, 2018 3:17 PM

More from that Paris Candide....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343October 24, 2018 3:17 PM

Short and sweet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344October 24, 2018 3:22 PM

God, that tempo is glacial on the Paris “Make Our Garden Grow” and those operatic voices are annoying. I had to purge it from my memory and listen to the flawless original cast recording.

by Anonymousreply 345October 24, 2018 4:07 PM

R345, what are you talking about? The tempo for "Make Our Garden Grow" in that clip is fine, far from "glacial." If you want to hear glacial, check this out. Conducted by the composer at the end of his life. Also, the voice of that Candide in the Paris clip is no more operatic than Robert Rounseville's, and the soprano sounds great, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346October 24, 2018 5:06 PM

Large-cast plays like The Ferryman and August: Osage County are perfect for summer repertory theater festivals with resident casts. They give actors who might otherwise be playing messengers and maids something meatier to do.

by Anonymousreply 347October 24, 2018 5:22 PM

The Prom is a mixed bag. Some of it is over-the-top unfunny caricatures, while the high school storyline is more realistic and moving. The songs in the latter part are serviceable to good.

by Anonymousreply 348October 24, 2018 6:18 PM

WHICH flawless OCR, r345? The Rounsville/Cook one from '57?

Btw, I thought the tempo on the Paris clip was fine.

by Anonymousreply 349October 24, 2018 7:18 PM

Well, there is only one OCR of CANDIDE, and it is pretty flawless :-) But yes, the tempo for "Make Our Garden Grow" in the Paris clip is just fine. The production concept, not so much....

by Anonymousreply 350October 24, 2018 7:23 PM

Well I think it was a most interesting effort, r350. They were certainly consistent with it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351October 24, 2018 7:26 PM

I'm available for the part of Miss Jessica Lange when it comes to the ALL THAT JAZZ section.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352October 24, 2018 8:08 PM

While you may not have to pay a large cast at a LORT theater as much as you would pay on Broadway, you still have to pay a large cast more than you would if it was a smaller cast show.

And you will not make the kind of money back that you can make in an open ended Broadway run.

And while the play might work for a theater with a large resident cast...how many of those are there?

by Anonymousreply 353October 24, 2018 10:52 PM

And Kelli Barrett's hubby Jarrod Spector is playing Sonny Bono in Cher.

by Anonymousreply 354October 24, 2018 10:53 PM

It’s very rare to see a LORT theatre season that includes more than one "large cast" show. And then it’s usually a musical, preferably a chestnut that can’t miss at the box office. Otherwise it’s all three-person, one-set plays and The Last Five Years.

by Anonymousreply 355October 24, 2018 11:06 PM

[quote]Otherwise it’s all three-person, one-set plays and The Last Five Years.

I see no point on spending so much money on such large casts.

by Anonymousreply 356October 24, 2018 11:26 PM

Who's playing Lenora Nemetz and Annie Pie Reinking???????????????????????

by Anonymousreply 357October 25, 2018 12:20 AM

I'm not a big fan, but Alison Pill could pull off Reinking's look... does she dance? Kelli Barrett will slay as Liza (criminally underrated performer, though probably too pretty to play Liza but who cares). Great casting, she's got pizzazz. Norbert Leo Butz would be a great Fred Ebb, too. I wonder who will play Lange? She and Fosse had an affair before/during ALL THAT JAZZ so I assume it will be a decent role.

by Anonymousreply 358October 25, 2018 12:33 AM

Also, would Karen "I can't dance peoples!" Olivo deign to play Chita? Again, too pretty (and she can't dance, peoples), but it would likely be good casting. Also, Wayne Brady could do a commendable Ben Vereen, or, if they want someone younger, Brandon Victor Dixon could probably pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 359October 25, 2018 12:36 AM

Kelli Barrett looks more like Ann Reinking than Liza.

by Anonymousreply 360October 25, 2018 12:37 AM

Brandon Victor Dixon is too hot to play Vereen.

by Anonymousreply 361October 25, 2018 12:38 AM

Taye Diggs for Vereen. Or is he too hot, too?

by Anonymousreply 362October 25, 2018 12:39 AM

Benanti is getting raves on the chatboards for her performance last night. Apparently she and Harry only had one rehearsal together since he's been out making the Downton movie. Between Benanti, Rosemary Harris and Danny Burstein, the show is getting some really great replacements which could keep it running for a while.

by Anonymousreply 363October 25, 2018 12:45 AM

Taye Diggs is insanely hot and has a huge dick. How Idina could’ve given that up is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 364October 25, 2018 12:52 AM

^^Possibly the decision wasn't hers.

by Anonymousreply 365October 25, 2018 12:57 AM

Men like him.

by Anonymousreply 366October 25, 2018 12:58 AM

Fun fact: John Goodman was the original Pap on Broadway in "Big River".

But Roseanne never let him sing on the show like Patti LuPone, Bea Arthur and Dixie Carter did on their shows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367October 25, 2018 1:14 AM

Not true:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368October 25, 2018 1:22 AM

John Goodman was deep into his addiction stage during BIG RIVER, drinking a case (!) of beer a night along with mountains of cocaine. He talked about it on Howard Stern a few years ago, how he would go onstage totally fucked up, terrified he didn't know any of his lines/staging, but the second he went onstage it all just came out of him as if he was a robot or something and then the second he came offstage he'd remember nothing. Must be adrenaline plus whatever special magic happens when actors walk onstage.

by Anonymousreply 369October 25, 2018 1:44 AM

As lovely as Ambrose is, Benanti should have opened the show.

The Tony would have been hers.

by Anonymousreply 370October 25, 2018 1:54 AM

[quote]Benanti should have opened the show.

The show was called My Fair Lady, not My Fair Cougar.

by Anonymousreply 371October 25, 2018 1:57 AM

R370 She spoke about MFL with Paul Wontorek. Bart Sher apparently wanted everyone to audition, and asked Laura too, but it came so soon after her giving birth that she couldn't pull it together for the audition, and realised if she couldn't do that, no way could she pull it together for the actual show.

In the same interview she mentioned how her first rehearsal with Harry was on the same day she started, as R363 mentioned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372October 25, 2018 1:58 AM

The bizarre thing with that Benanti interview is everyone assumed Bart gave Eliza to Lauren to make up for the Funny Girl shitshow, but this makes it sound like if Benanti had just auditioned in the first place, it might have been just she.

I wonder who else read for it.

by Anonymousreply 373October 25, 2018 2:04 AM

I don’t know what made me think of this, but remember when DL ‘s favorite jailbird Sarah Gettlefinger tried to do that classical crossover bullshit?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374October 25, 2018 2:25 AM

[quote]R334 [Pleshette] was one of the finalists to play Louise in the original Bway Gypsy, so she must have had some singing chops.

I hope I’m not making stuff up...but was Sandra Church the girlfriend of one of the show’s producers, or something?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375October 25, 2018 3:17 AM

The five young men who play the teens in The Ferryman are some pretty hot beefcake. Who's had them?

by Anonymousreply 376October 25, 2018 3:18 AM

R375 I believe it was Gypsy composer Jule Styne that Sandra Church had a relationship with. As for the casting, according to Wikipedia (so it must be true:) "In his autobiography, Arthur Laurents states, 'It came down to between Suzanne Pleshette and Sandra Church. Suzanne was the better actress, but Sandra was the better singer. We went with Sandra.'"

by Anonymousreply 377October 25, 2018 3:30 AM

Louise has only one real song (that almost got cut) so it’s odd they placed such an emphasis on singing.

Can’t even non-singers get through LET ME ENTERTAIN YOU?

by Anonymousreply 378October 25, 2018 3:39 AM

The Angela Lansbury revival of "Gypsy" had just played LA and it's obvious where they got this open.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379October 25, 2018 3:52 AM

Fuck you R378 and don't even think about bringing up Against All Odds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380October 25, 2018 3:53 AM

Aw. This was cute. You can tell how giddy she is about landing this role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381October 25, 2018 3:55 AM

[quote]The bizarre thing with that Benanti interview is everyone assumed Bart gave Eliza to Lauren to make up for the Funny Girl shitshow, but this makes it sound like if Benanti had just auditioned in the first place, it might have been just she.

Didn't Benanti say in one of those jokey season roundup videos she made that she was told by her agent that the MFL people (presumably Sher and/or Sperling) gave her a "hard pass" on the role of Eliza? Does that mean they gave a hard pass without her auditioning? Does it mean she DID in fact audition and then they passed? Or was the whole thing a joke? Benanti jokes about things so often that it's hard to tell when she's telling the truth.

by Anonymousreply 382October 25, 2018 4:10 AM

too hot to play Ben Vereen?!?!?! Vereen was sex on a fucking stick in the 70s, and his sexiness is undeniable: that beard, those eyes, that tight cut body. Usher should play Ben Vereen, and we all know why....

by Anonymousreply 383October 25, 2018 4:43 AM

I want to pinch Usher's buttocks!

by Anonymousreply 384October 25, 2018 10:08 AM

Benanti is pure magic as Eliza.

by Anonymousreply 385October 25, 2018 10:43 AM

Hey - did anybody here see the 2013 Second Stage production of the musical Little Miss Sunshine? Was it any good? Terrible or just boring? It’s being produced in London.

by Anonymousreply 386October 25, 2018 10:44 AM

The story was that after Styne finally got his "friend" Sandra Church cast, it lead to endless drama because nobody else wanted her, including Merman. When the show opened it was at least an hour too long and big cuts were going to have to be made. Everybody wanted to get rid of Little Lamb but it was Church's only solo and Styne refused. It got to the point that Styne finally delivered an ultimatum to Laurents and and Robbins: if Lamb was cut, he would pull the rights to the entire score, so it stayed.

There's also some famous zinger by Merman either addressed to or about Church but I can't remember it exactly. They didn't get along.

BTW, local news here in NYC reporting that another package like the bomb packages has just been removed from outside De Niro's apartment on Greenwich St. in Tribeca and loaded into a bomb disposal truck. Greenwich has been shut down for several hours without a given reason.

by Anonymousreply 387October 25, 2018 10:51 AM

Bomb package has been loaded into a bomb disposal truck and is on its way to ordinance yards in the Bronx.

by Anonymousreply 388October 25, 2018 10:56 AM

[QUOTE]Didn't Benanti say in one of those [bold]jokey[/bold] season roundup videos she made that she was told by her agent that the MFL people (presumably Sher and/or Sperling) gave her a "hard pass" on the role of Eliza? Does that mean they gave a hard pass without her auditioning? Does it mean she DID in fact audition and then they passed? Or was the whole thing a joke? Benanti jokes about things so often that it's hard to tell when she's telling the truth.

Why don't you take a minute and think that one through.

by Anonymousreply 389October 25, 2018 12:07 PM

Thanks for that backstory, r387. I've read it before, and I was always puzzled why Styne would fight so hard for "Little Lamb." The Sandra Church connection explains it!

by Anonymousreply 390October 25, 2018 12:57 PM

What the Hell is "Buttons The Movie" and why when I go to four actor's IMBD featured in that trailer to find out it's not listed?

by Anonymousreply 391October 25, 2018 1:14 PM

It's a great story that Benanti was able to have a baby and then also still come back and play this role, even if not first. There are always new examples of how you never know how people's careers are going to play out ...

by Anonymousreply 392October 25, 2018 2:48 PM

[quote]Didn't Benanti say in one of those jokey season roundup videos she made that she was told by her agent that the MFL people (presumably Sher and/or Sperling) gave her a "hard pass" on the role of Eliza? Does that mean they gave a hard pass without her auditioning? Does it mean she DID in fact audition and then they passed? Or was the whole thing a joke? Benanti jokes about things so often that it's hard to tell when she's telling the truth.

[quote]Why don't you take a minute and think that one through.

I did think it through, but it seemed like that part of what she said in the video was serious, especially since she had made it clear she really wanted the role from the beginning. Maybe I was wrong about that. I think Benanti is often hilarious, but to repeat, she jokes about things so often that it's hard to tell when she's telling the truth.

[quote]I was always puzzled why Styne would fight so hard for "Little Lamb."

Well, I do think it's important for there to be a song for Louise in that slot, so if they had cut "Little Lamb" because nobody liked it, Styne and Sondheim would probably have to have written another one.

by Anonymousreply 393October 25, 2018 3:01 PM

Stockard Channing's face on Andy Cohen last evening looked like cookie dough, as she promoted Apologia endlessly.

When asked which cast member during the filming of "Grease" was getting the most sex, she immediately replied Jeff Conaway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394October 25, 2018 3:05 PM

[quote]I do think it's important for there to be a song for Louise in that slot, so if they had cut "Little Lamb" because nobody liked it, Styne and Sondheim would probably have to have written another one.

Hey!

by Anonymousreply 395October 25, 2018 3:15 PM

R391 -- Same here. I tried to find out what it was, but there is no mention of it anywhere. Does anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 396October 25, 2018 3:27 PM

R397, r387 here. Styne's refusing to allow Little Lamb to be cut because Church was his girlfriend is a very well known story. But I like the song and agree with you completely that it's a nice little respite in the way the first act of Gypsy aggressively flies by.

Meanwhile, I went looking for the Merman zinger about Church I mentioned and I don't think I found the one I was thinking about but I found two others.

The first is from The Urban Dictionary, of all places:

"When asked why she never spoke to her Gypsy co-star Sandra Church, Ethel Merman said, "Of course I talk to her! Every night after the curtain closes, I tell her to go fuck herself!"

The second is from an old Broadway World forum thread about Merman quotes:

" - One night after a performance of Gypsy, everyone took turns to take Ethel Jr. out on the town. Ethel still fummed at the relationship between Sandra Church and Jule Styne. While Tossing back the booze she asked "IS SANDRA F***ING JULE?, WELL IS HE!?!" She kept saying that right in front of her daughter."

Like I said, though, I don't think I found the quote i was actually looking for.

Meanwhile, I did find this extended and fascinating interview with Sandra Church from just last year at the "Everything Sondheim" website. It covers briefly her entire life and career (she's a painter/visual artist now) but focuses on her Broadway and film career with a main emphasizes on her time in Gypsy. It doesn't touch on her relationship with Styne but it is nevertheless a wonderfully interesting read for anyone really interested in the show, Merman, the other creatives, or Broadway during that era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397October 25, 2018 3:27 PM

And here's the link to that BWW thread about Merman which is tons of fun in places.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398October 25, 2018 3:32 PM

Cuz they're a w-o-m-a-n.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399October 25, 2018 3:45 PM

I know I'm a little late to comment, but I just watched an excellent quality bootleg of Escape to Margaritaville, and am astonished at how stupid it is. And, not having really listened to his music, I also never realized how insipid Buffett's music is: the chord changes are pedestrian, the rhymes are obvious and uninteresting; the lyrics banal. The plot of the show is just absurd and amateurish; it's as though someone mounted the very first draft of a script.

I know the purpose of these jukebox shows is for the company who owns the music catalogue to make money, but why don't they at least put a modicum of effort into it, so the product is at least interesting, and has a chance at longevity? Are they that cynical that they think they can throw anything on the stage, and, because the songs are popular, it will be a hit, not matter what? Although I'm sorry for all the cast and crew who lost their job when it closed, I am glad it bombed, lest producers continue to think that crap like this will succeed.

As much as I dislike Disney, they showed that it is possible to take a popular product -- The Lion King -- and create a work of true art from it. Why does everyone else not put any effort into creating a show? Are they interested in music, but not in musicals? Do they think so little of musicals that they think anything will succeed, that it doesn't have to be good?

by Anonymousreply 400October 25, 2018 3:51 PM

Interesting story about John Goodman. He was terrific in Big River.

Considering how he’s looking on The Conners, one wonders if his addiction problems are back.

by Anonymousreply 401October 25, 2018 3:54 PM

[quote]Although I'm sorry for all the cast and crew who lost their job when it closed, I am glad it bombed, lest producers continue to think that crap like this will succeed.

I agree, but one of the worst jukebox shows was the biggest, longest-running hit of all, and if you're going to go by quality, "Summer" should be gone by now.

[quote]As much as I dislike Disney, they showed that it is possible to take a popular product -- The Lion King -- and create a work of true art from it.

But that was the only time they managed that. Have you seen "Frozen?" It's not godawful, but so disappointing that ticket sales are already softening.

by Anonymousreply 402October 25, 2018 3:57 PM

[quote] Interesting story about John Goodman. He was terrific in Big River. Considering how he’s looking on The Conners, one wonders if his addiction problems are back.

He lost a ton of weight and his skin is just hanging. People with some facial fat always look better. He needs a facelift to tighten the skin NOT a eye job that ruins guys looks forever like Kenny Rogers.

by Anonymousreply 403October 25, 2018 4:28 PM

Benanti just posted on Instagram that she won't be doing any stagedooring.

by Anonymousreply 404October 25, 2018 4:33 PM

She explained that she has a compromised immune system and a toddler at home, so can't be too careful--and she promised to sign anything left for her, as well as presigning a lot of Playbills. None of this strikes me as unreasonable.

by Anonymousreply 405October 25, 2018 4:39 PM

But Lion King is a beautiful opening number followed by boredom. They made a magnificent pageant of it and attached a musical that has staying power because it kind of underwhelms enough that no one even remembers it enough to get burned out.

by Anonymousreply 406October 25, 2018 4:53 PM

NYTimes review of the London Company revisal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407October 25, 2018 5:50 PM

I think that review clinches a transfer.

by Anonymousreply 408October 25, 2018 5:52 PM

R407 good review, Broadway next?

by Anonymousreply 409October 25, 2018 6:25 PM

I haven't even read the review yet but I already know what it's going to say. Just like we can predict that this thread like every other would devolve into talk of Gyspy. Le Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 410October 25, 2018 7:03 PM

Aren't you perspicacious, r410. Not to mention blase.

Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 411October 25, 2018 7:04 PM

What a bunch of nobodies and losers. I thought we were supposed to get celebrities like Hugh Jackman, Emma Stone, and Sandra Bullock. These people seem like they're direct from the Mark Two Dinner Theater.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412October 25, 2018 7:08 PM

[quote]The show was called My Fair Lady, not My Fair Cougar. —L.A.

Uh .. you do realize Lauren Ambrose is almost two years older than Benanti, don’t you?

by Anonymousreply 413October 25, 2018 7:11 PM

[quote] Uh .. you do realize Lauren Ambrose is almost two years older than Benanti, don’t you?

And surely you realize Laura Benanti looks about as old as Colleen Dewhurst did shortly before she died.

by Anonymousreply 414October 25, 2018 7:14 PM

Sandra Church wasn’t fucking Jule Styne when she was cast in Gypsy. That didn’t happen till the show opened. Merman had no problem with Church being cast, but took an immediate dislike to her because she called her “Ethel” right from the first rehearsal. Then, when the rumors about Styne and Church started, that sent Merman over the edge, and there was no going back. As far as she was concerned, it was all/out war with Church from then on.

by Anonymousreply 415October 25, 2018 7:18 PM

[quote]"In his autobiography, Arthur Laurents states, 'It came down to between Suzanne Pleshette and Sandra Church. Suzanne was the better actress, but Sandra was the better singer. We went with Sandra.'"

At one point, Anne Bancroft was considered. So I guess they were auditioning non-singers.

by Anonymousreply 416October 25, 2018 7:23 PM

Anne Bancroft was considered for Funny Girl, not Gypsy. And Bancroft was, in fact, a singer, as she proved on a couple of TV specials.

by Anonymousreply 417October 25, 2018 7:26 PM

Miss Church.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418October 25, 2018 7:31 PM

Apart from keeping Little Lamb in the second act, what in the world would she want with Jule Styne?

by Anonymousreply 419October 25, 2018 7:34 PM

[quote]Anne Bancroft was considered for Funny Girl, not Gypsy.

She was first considered for Gypsy.

Here is what Steven Suskin says in "Second Act Trouble":

"Elkins also tells us that Arthur Penn arrived in Boston with Anne Bancroft, whose career was launched with two Tonys and an Oscar for Gibson and Penn's Two for the Seesaw and The Miracle Worker. The idea, apparently, was for Bancroft to take over the female lead [in Golden Boy]. This did not happen, but it was not altogether farfetched; the production team behind Gypsy very much wanted Bancroft to play the title role, but she turned it down for Miracle Worker." Page 187

by Anonymousreply 420October 25, 2018 7:35 PM

That Sandra Church interview was great. Thanks for posting it. Interesting that Hal Prince offered her the lead in Cabaret.

by Anonymousreply 421October 25, 2018 7:47 PM

"The Ferryman" is a bad play, poorly acted. It's not as bad as "Jerusalem,," but "Jerusalem" had Mark Rylance, who can transcend anything. The "Ferryman" cast have been playing these roles for a couple years, and are bored and tired. The two vaunted "leads" have a scene at the beginning and a scene at the end. In between are two hours and forty minutes of whisky and The Troubles, the same play the Irish have been writing over and over for the last fifty years.

by Anonymousreply 422October 25, 2018 7:57 PM

r410 speaks truth. Snoresville.

by Anonymousreply 423October 25, 2018 8:13 PM

How right you are, r423 and r410. Who wants to see an imaginative and apparently well-executed revisal of a Sondheim classic when they could instead see a new.....hmm..Pasek and Paul? Or a musical about a gorilla?

by Anonymousreply 424October 25, 2018 8:18 PM

r422 Mark Rylance, however great he may be, couldn't transcend the tepid and overwrought script his wife wrote in Farenelli and the King, a truly mediocre night of theatre.

by Anonymousreply 425October 25, 2018 8:22 PM

Anyone else see the filmed version of FunnyGirl last night? I liked Sheridan a lot in the role. Whats the gossip? Is she a bitch ? Is that why she lost to Amber Riley?

by Anonymousreply 426October 25, 2018 8:33 PM

[quote]Is that why she lost to Amber Riley?

She lost to Amber Riley because the Brits haven't given enough awards to black people.

by Anonymousreply 427October 25, 2018 8:41 PM

All of Broadway bores me to tears these days, r424. I'd rather stay home, drink and catch up on classic silent movies on YouTube. Until the wind changes...

by Anonymousreply 428October 25, 2018 8:45 PM

I'd never heard (or heard of) this before.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429October 25, 2018 8:48 PM

I have this album. It's great, with some really fun material, like Ms Church's rendition of Kern's WILD ROSE and the Brahms shtick by GRL.

by Anonymousreply 430October 25, 2018 8:52 PM

R426 -- I'm not sure what you mean by the filmed version. Did they film the British of Funny Girl? Did they stream it at theaters ? That is the first I've heard of it. I saw a bootleg of a version of the play mounted a few years ago from some theater outside LA, and the actress -- whose name I can not remember --- was outstanding. I forgot all about Streisand's performance within ten minutes of watching her. So.. is Smith's version available? Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 431October 25, 2018 9:28 PM

This is a left-fiend thought, but does Amy Schumer sing? I think she could be a wonderful Fanny Brice. She is vulgar and loud, but also funny and bawdy, and she has an ability to make you care about her, despite how crass she is.

by Anonymousreply 432October 25, 2018 9:31 PM

Fanny Brice wasn't fat, r432.

by Anonymousreply 433October 25, 2018 9:42 PM

[quote]So.. is Smith's version available?

It aired in the US last night as one of those Fathom Events things - and the trailer for it was posted in one of the previous theatre threads. Sheridan looks fat, the sets and costumes look cheap. You didn't miss much.

by Anonymousreply 434October 25, 2018 9:44 PM

Brice, for all her low-crotch burlesque, was a woman of great elegance, wit, warmth, and wisdom.

Enough said.

by Anonymousreply 435October 25, 2018 9:51 PM

Fanny & Nicky

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436October 25, 2018 10:05 PM

R432, ugh, no thank you! The fat bitch can’t sing or dance a lick.

by Anonymousreply 437October 25, 2018 10:08 PM

15 years ago I really think Idina would’ve been definitive post Streisand. I’m surprised she didn’t get it.

DL fave Sandra Bernhard was supposed to also do the revival years ago but it didn’t come to pass.

by Anonymousreply 438October 25, 2018 10:08 PM

About twenty years ago there was a glorious workshop of Funny Girl, I think Taylor Dayne was originally in the lead but an understudy named Becky Baeling was fantastic and would have become a major stage star if the production came to pass, I believe there was big money behind it but they would not go forward without a star and Dayne became a liability after failing in early rehearsals of the workshop. I can’t remember who was directing it.

by Anonymousreply 439October 25, 2018 10:15 PM

r433, r434 and r437 all say 'fat.' DL can do better than that

by Anonymousreply 440October 25, 2018 10:25 PM

Someone with lots of avoirdupois?

by Anonymousreply 441October 25, 2018 10:30 PM

How about blubber, r440? Does blubber meet your stringent standards?

by Anonymousreply 442October 26, 2018 12:46 AM

Why didn't Sandra Church ever get a follow up show after Gypsy?

by Anonymousreply 443October 26, 2018 12:47 AM

R438

Idina doesn't really do revivals. She has never been in the mix of Broadway belters duking it out with Sutton Foster for every show that comes by (she doesn't dance as was determined in her Millie audition.)

It is really odd how producers still seem to be unaware of her and her appeal. Why no one thought to put her in a revival of Funny Girl when she had time to do 'See What I Wanna See' after Wicked seems odd. But if her career reflects on her own tastes in projects (doubtful, Broadway actresses are not really a particularly powerful bunch when it comes to planning their careers) it would appear that she prefers to originate roles with new music. Will she even do a show unless it includes at least one new number that immediately is put on the 'Do NOT audition' list for young belters?

She also appears to think it is funny that Streisand doesn't like her and was unimpressed by her attempt to win her over at her tribute concert.

by Anonymousreply 444October 26, 2018 12:53 AM

r444 Streisand doesn't like Idina? Maybe she does have good taste.

by Anonymousreply 445October 26, 2018 1:04 AM

Streisand recognizes someone with bad technique. As does everyone who has heard Iscreama’s live performances.

by Anonymousreply 446October 26, 2018 1:34 AM

[quote]It is really odd how producers still seem to be unaware of her and her appeal. Why no one thought to put her in a revival of Funny Girl when she had time to do 'See What I Wanna See' after Wicked seems odd.

After Rent, there was talk of Idina doing a Funny Girl revival. She even sang a song in the Funny Girl concert version in 2002. I think it was decided that she just wasn't funny enough to pull it off. She didn't have the quirky comedy style that Fanny Brice had. Same with Lea Michele. Poor girl did everything she could think of to get Funny Girl to Broadway and nobody really saw much beyond her ability to belt the songs.

by Anonymousreply 447October 26, 2018 1:45 AM

Lea also shit the bed trying to perform one of the songs live

by Anonymousreply 448October 26, 2018 1:52 AM

I don't know r443. Her wiki page is sparse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449October 26, 2018 1:56 AM

B loves me, alas. I guess I am the greatest star. Can't wait for February 24.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450October 26, 2018 2:00 AM

What about DL fave Laura Benanti as Fanny Brice?

by Anonymousreply 451October 26, 2018 2:02 AM

Let's face it, Gaga is really perfect for it in every way. She;s got the ethnic look, the vocal chops, the outsize personality, the vulnerability... I can't imagine anyone else with marquee value for whom the part fits like a glove. Get her a REAL, first=class director and you've got a show.

by Anonymousreply 452October 26, 2018 2:20 AM

Isn't Sara Gettlefinger getting out of prison next year? The Weissler's should put her in Chicago. Benanti didn't have go to through a long rehearsal and preview period and could focus on her newborn then got to step in and play her dream role. Not a bad deal.

by Anonymousreply 453October 26, 2018 2:22 AM

I base my opinion purely on clips I've seen of the Funny Girl concert from 2002. The only one among those women who could have pulled off playing Fanny in a new production was Julia Murney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454October 26, 2018 2:36 AM

Pitchy!

by Anonymousreply 455October 26, 2018 2:36 AM

I know, I know, even though it’s been told before, what’s the story with Larry Kerr being cast in COMPANY after Dean Jones dropped out? Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 456October 26, 2018 2:37 AM

I felt sad watching Stockard on WWHL. First off, she seemed like she really didn't want to be there. She barely acknowledged Ellie Kemper who was also a guest and kept her chair facing Andrea Cohen. Cohen makes the show so mindless you either go with it or, like Stockard, act like it's way beneath you. And I wish she had left her face alone because when they showed clips of young Stockard she was fucking adorable and really could have just aged gracefully and still looked good.

by Anonymousreply 457October 26, 2018 2:44 AM

Did anyone go to the Marin Mazzie memorial today?

by Anonymousreply 458October 26, 2018 2:50 AM

Oh I don't know....I found watching Stockard on WWHL kind of interesting. She didn't seem that engaged but I respected her for it! She was being asked such dumb questions and yet she was always polite and sweet with her answers. She seemed far warmer than she ever does on stage playing a character.

by Anonymousreply 459October 26, 2018 3:08 AM

Funny Girl is a terrible show, although 2/3 of the songs are wonderful. Until someone comes along and writes a book as good as the songs, nobody's going to sign up for a revival.

by Anonymousreply 460October 26, 2018 3:52 AM

R460. I noticed on the ads for the revival that Harvey Fierstein adapted the book. Did he change much? or just polish it?

by Anonymousreply 461October 26, 2018 4:02 AM

Did anyone see the Debbie Gibson FUNNY GIRL?

by Anonymousreply 462October 26, 2018 4:11 AM

How's Laura's English accent(s) in MFL?

by Anonymousreply 463October 26, 2018 4:26 AM

Did anyone see the Pia Zadora Funny Girl?

by Anonymousreply 464October 26, 2018 5:22 AM

Wow, they aren't even repeating Funny Girl. I don't see it on the calendar at all. I guess it was one and done.

by Anonymousreply 465October 26, 2018 5:47 AM

R425, I agree with you about Farinelli and the King. I used to think I would see Mark Rylance in anything, but I guess his wife dissuaded me from thinking that anymore. The show was like the mediocre sequel to a hit movie. And Twelfth Night/Richard III was so good.

by Anonymousreply 466October 26, 2018 6:39 AM

[quote]Did anyone go to the Marin Mazzie memorial today?

I did, r458, and it was as a fitting and lovely send-off as one could hope for. This post, from the much-reviled All That Chat, summed it up nicely.

I was so glad that it was open to the public. She touched the lives of so many.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467October 26, 2018 7:35 AM

Who knew?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 468October 26, 2018 7:38 AM

Can we stop trying to Marin Mazzie happen? Sad storyof course but she was a third-tier Broadway star at best.

by Anonymousreply 469October 26, 2018 8:48 AM

Someone uptrend said Stockards face on Wwhl looked like raw cookie dough and I sadly must agree. On the other hand I have a ton of respect for her for coldly acting like the whole show was beneath her.

Most people become idiots on that show.

by Anonymousreply 470October 26, 2018 10:46 AM

R470, She may have never even seen the show. When they all stood to do the shotski, Stockard reached for her glass until Andy told her it was to be imbibed from the ski.

by Anonymousreply 471October 26, 2018 11:19 AM

I was hoping that Cohen or a caller would ask her about Joan Rivers, who gave her one of her early breaks in the ABC movie "The Girl Most Likely".

by Anonymousreply 472October 26, 2018 11:22 AM

R469, Jason Danieley has to be Broadway's #1 bachelor now.

Did he return to Pretty Woman after Marin's death?

by Anonymousreply 473October 26, 2018 11:26 AM

How soon after she left the WWHL set did Stockard fire her publicist?

by Anonymousreply 474October 26, 2018 11:30 AM

Why did Stockard have Christian Hoff fired from Pal Joey?

I've seen a rare boot of him in the show and he was fine.

by Anonymousreply 475October 26, 2018 11:45 AM

OMG could u imagine the poor gay publicist getting that phone call from an enraged Stockard Channing about why the fuck she was booked on such a shitshow?

by Anonymousreply 476October 26, 2018 12:54 PM

DL fav and NY1 Theater Frankenstein Frank DiLella was the guest bartender on that WWHL, is Andy after that Broadway beefcake?

by Anonymousreply 477October 26, 2018 12:59 PM

Thanks, r467, for posting the ATC link. Glad you were able to be there. I see that Lapine was there but no mention of Sondheim, who really should have put in an appearance.

by Anonymousreply 478October 26, 2018 1:01 PM

And, r471, she downed that drink as if it were going to make the whole show go away

by Anonymousreply 479October 26, 2018 1:33 PM

r473 Jason is reported in the Broadway big dick club

by Anonymousreply 480October 26, 2018 1:34 PM

I have a weird reaction to Mark Rylance. I've loved him in everything I've seen him in on screen and hated him in everything I've seen him in on stage. To me, his film work seems nuanced, his stage work seems hammy.

by Anonymousreply 481October 26, 2018 2:23 PM

R4469, well she could act as well as sing, which is more than could ever be said about you, Ethel. Yeah, yeah, I know "Gypsy"--but you supposedly walked through the role much of the time, doing your grocery list. Martin did deserve that Tony over you.

by Anonymousreply 482October 26, 2018 2:27 PM

Yes he is, r480.

I wonder if he feels it will be more respectful to have his big schlong serviced by men for a while?,

by Anonymousreply 483October 26, 2018 2:29 PM

Speaking of Mark Rylance and big dicks ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484October 26, 2018 2:37 PM

Did someone above seriously say that Sandra Bernhard was supposed to be in a Funny Girl revival?

by Anonymousreply 485October 26, 2018 2:44 PM

What WWHL?

by Anonymousreply 486October 26, 2018 2:56 PM

What is, that is...

by Anonymousreply 487October 26, 2018 2:56 PM

R486, Watch What Happens Live, Sun - Thurs @ 11:00 PM on BRAVO.

by Anonymousreply 488October 26, 2018 3:19 PM

Just read the LA Times rave for Dear Evan Hansen. But it includes this in reference to the lead Ben Levi Ross

[quote]Stephen Christopher Anthony assumes the demanding role of Evan on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday matinees and on Sunday evening performances.)

Has it always been that way? Did Platt only play four performances a week?

by Anonymousreply 489October 26, 2018 3:55 PM

R447

No. Idina wasn't particularly featured in that concert. Producers sure as hell were not offering her revivals based off her Tony nomination and her pack of fanzels from RENT.

In the 90s Idina pursued a singing career in the LilithFair circuit. After getting canned by her label, she returned to theater to acquire some really good cringe-inducing audition stories (breaking down and crying rather than singing her song at one audition because Taye had just dumped her, getting through the Millie singing audition well enough to be invited to the dance audition "with Sutton Foster"... and getting all the way through 6 pages of Defying Gravity only to blow the last note, scream 'fuck' and start over.) After RENT she had to fight to get back on Broadway as the second replacement to Sherri Rene Scott's Amneris in AIDA -- which is hardly the same as being pushed for a Funny Girl revival. The way we know she is insecure about her ability to do comedy is that when recounting her September 11 story (she was supposed to be put in THAT day) she mentioned how uncomfortable it felt to make her big Broadway return in a Disney show in a comic role to a mostly empty theater after what had just happened. Apparently she auditioned for and landed the Wicked workshop a few days later.

It is really not easy to tell pick apart what of Lea's story is real and what is fiction made up to get attention for GLEE -- but it is pretty safe to say that SHE definitely gunned for a Funny Girl revival and openly though she was the TV star with the chops to pull off a revival. Idina and Lea are not the same person. They do not have the same career. Even if Lea has tried to pass herself off as having had Idina's career.

by Anonymousreply 490October 26, 2018 4:23 PM

The Company IG or Twitter account featured an announcement earlier today: cast album slated for a recording in November.

by Anonymousreply 491October 26, 2018 4:24 PM

Hallelujah! The New Yorker seems to have taken Hilton Als off as theater critic and now has a rotating list of critics. I don't mind Als as a culture writer, but he should never have been reviewing theater.

by Anonymousreply 492October 26, 2018 4:26 PM

[quote]Producers sure as hell were not offering her revivals based off her Tony nomination and her pack of fanzels from RENT.

Producers weren't offering anyone. There was a huge push in the late 90s/early 00s to get a revival of Funny Girl to Broadway because it was one of the few high profile shows that had never had a revival. So every Jewish girl who could belt was being watched to see if they could bring it back. One of the productions that was trying to gain steam to Broadway was the Debbie Gibson tour in 1996/97. At that time, Idina was getting a lot of press because of her Broadway debut on Rent. The PR machine was trying to tie her to Streisand and hyping that she could go on to star in the Funny Girl revival after her Broadway debut, just like Streisand did.

by Anonymousreply 493October 26, 2018 4:39 PM

So this happened during the OC cast run of RENT, not after, and it really had no connection to actual producers or Idina. Her name was just mentioned because she was Jewish and nominated for a Tony?

by Anonymousreply 494October 26, 2018 6:09 PM

[quote]So this happened during the OC cast run of RENT,

The hype of the original Rent cast was huge. They were even on a billboard in Times Square. As mentioned above, Idina tried to have a singing career but that wasn't her strong point. It was merely zeitgeist of people wanting a professional production of Funny Girl and Idina being in the public spotlight. I'm not saying any producers ever approached her, but people were certainly putting together in their minds a Funny Girl revival and a new Jewish girl belt singer.

by Anonymousreply 495October 26, 2018 6:18 PM

Amy Schumer is pregnant with Chris's child. What happens when it comes out the chute looking like a teeny tiny Jake?

by Anonymousreply 496October 26, 2018 7:34 PM

Hilton Als will not be missed.

by Anonymousreply 497October 26, 2018 8:27 PM

I didn't realize that they took Als off theater-critic duties at the New Yorker. There are very few writers whose work I actively dislike, but I dislike his. His essays are almost always more about him than anything else, and his theater reviews showed he didn't have a huge depth of theater knowledge, because he never adequately puts the play in perspective. I do not understand his success. Perhaps he was just the right person at the right time.

by Anonymousreply 498October 26, 2018 8:28 PM

Als is the one who called Hamilton for the ___ it is, which is good enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 499October 26, 2018 9:03 PM

Frank Dillela's brother is much much cuter and not dorky looking....like Frank. Fortunately for Frank he has a very nice body. Andy is nothing but a lazy eye attached to a fit fat bod.

by Anonymousreply 500October 26, 2018 9:09 PM

For the poster upthread.

Yes Michael Musto recently wrote about a Funny Girl revival that never came together with Sandra Bernhard, years ago.

I actually think it would have been really good.

by Anonymousreply 501October 26, 2018 10:08 PM

Seeing King Kong tonight — wish me luck.

by Anonymousreply 502October 26, 2018 10:40 PM

You’re doing God's work, r502.

by Anonymousreply 503October 26, 2018 11:03 PM

Oh, I needed a real big laugh tonight, R503, and you gave it to me. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 504October 26, 2018 11:24 PM

R489, it's well deserved. Ben Levi Ross is spectacular and the whole show is great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505October 26, 2018 11:48 PM

I saw APOLOGIA last year in London. Stockard Channing's work had obviously been recently done. I spent at least 20 minutes of the first act agog at what she'd done to her face. My respect for her as an actress remains fully intact, but I so wish she'd just let herself age more naturally.

FERRYMAN is superb, by far the best play NYC has had on Broadway in more than a year. It's ambitious and full of life and language, and surprises.

INDIA PALE ALE is striking mediocre, with some of the most dire direction and acting I've seen on a NYC stage in a LONG time. Why is MTC doing this play? My guess is because all the non-profits are trying to give shots to previously unheard voices, no matter how pedestrian and under-developed the writing.

PLOT POINTS OF OUR SEXUAL DEVELOPMENT at LCT3 is another example. This writer has some potential, but my heart sank when I realized about 3/4 through that essentially the story is the emotional conflict two lesbians are having about one wanting to use a strap-on on the other. Not exaggerating.

I've not gathered the strength yet to see KING KONG.

by Anonymousreply 506October 27, 2018 12:17 AM

There are bootlegs of Debbie Gibson and Pia Zadora in their respective productions of Funny Girl. Zadora is better than Gibson which will give you a clue as to just how bad Deborah was.

by Anonymousreply 507October 27, 2018 1:14 AM

Debbie's Fanny.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508October 27, 2018 1:20 AM

Which community theatre produced Debbie's production of FG? Was it in NYC?

by Anonymousreply 509October 27, 2018 1:23 AM

Now, now everyone, don't rain on Pia's parade.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510October 27, 2018 1:24 AM

Maybe Fanny wasn't Pia's role but she's hardly an embarrassment in that clip. Gibson, on the other hand......

by Anonymousreply 511October 27, 2018 1:46 AM

OMG.

So strange that Pia got Funny Girl staged.

I also think it is amusing that Seth knew how to get his 2002 Funny Girl Concert listed as a revival on IBDB. So yeah, I guess it is listed as one of Idina Menzel's suprisingly few Broadway credits. (But she was hardly featured) Speaking of Pia, the wonderful Alice Playten was simply listed as 'Fanny Brice' in the 2002 concert. I guess Whoopi was a narrator but at some point they swapped to Playten?

Did anyone here go to Seth's thing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512October 27, 2018 1:49 AM

Alice did a scene in the second act, but no song. What a shame.

by Anonymousreply 513October 27, 2018 1:59 AM

The low point of that Funny Girl concert was Jane Krakowski grabbing Peter Gallagher's junk. Gallagher was Arnstein for the entire concert I believe and he seemed quite surprised.

by Anonymousreply 514October 27, 2018 2:01 AM

The truly peculair thing about Stockard's face is that after all that work, nothing is particularly tight or lifted. I really don't get what she was after.

And that mass of dark unruly hair (or wig) only makes her huge header even bigger. On stage she looks unreal.

by Anonymousreply 515October 27, 2018 2:30 AM

peculiar

by Anonymousreply 516October 27, 2018 2:31 AM

R514

Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 517October 27, 2018 2:51 AM

Yes about Stockard’s face. It’s like she paid thousands of dollars for awful surgery where it seems her face is covered with under the skin golf balls.

by Anonymousreply 518October 27, 2018 3:09 AM

Anybody hear anything about DL fave Megan STAR Hilty in the Kennedy Center Little Shop of Horrors? There seems to have been some backstage drama and the cast list changed at the last minute, but I haven't heard any reviews. Apparently Ivanka went to see the opening. Did they pull a Hamilton and ask her to be a better leader?

by Anonymousreply 519October 27, 2018 3:09 AM

1 of 6 people that saw the Smith/London funny girl in movie theaters this week. Smith was impressive. She clearly studied footage of real-life Fanny Brice and got very close. She wasn’t able to sing the score as written. New arrangements of music that makes me dance& who are you now were made to hide her vocal limitations. For low-budget/small theatre the production itself was wonderful. I would love to see what this team could do with more money. Fierstein’s book adaptation does seem like a completely new book. It plays like an actual show now rather than a star turn with dressings.

by Anonymousreply 520October 27, 2018 3:28 AM

The trailer for Funny Girl showed her huffing, puffing, and gasping for air. Is that what the performance was in the final cut?

by Anonymousreply 521October 27, 2018 3:56 AM

The tour Evan Hansen alternate is doing two shows a week, same as on Broadway. The wording for the description of the alternate schedule is confusing. Different cities have different schedules, and in each city, only two of the four times listed will actually take place.

Ben Platt started the show without an alternate but he started having vocal trouble during Tony season. After the Tonys, he missed a TON of shows, and people were getting mad. The producers finally gave him an alternate, which has been true for all Evans since.

by Anonymousreply 522October 27, 2018 4:27 AM

I saw King Kong. It'll give me bragging rights in years to come. The leading lady may have a career after this debacle as she does pretty well with the shite she's been handed. Everyone else will disappear after the critical lambasting.

by Anonymousreply 523October 27, 2018 4:49 AM

[quote] I also think it is amusing that Seth knew how to get his 2002 Funny Girl Concert listed as a revival on IBDB.

Don't credit Seth for doing anything special, IBDB lists all those one night concerts that are usually fundraisers for BC/EFA or The Actors Fund.

by Anonymousreply 524October 27, 2018 7:27 AM

I saw the Pia Zadora Funny Girl in Long Beach. Adrian Zmed was her Nicky Arnstein. The only good thing about it was Kaye Ballard as Mama Brice, although she lost her balance when a set piece moved unexpectedly on the night I saw it.

Pia was awful. Really bad. She did the final "Parade" reprise wearing a Native American costume for some reason (I think the real Brice had an "Indian" number but there's no mention of it in the show).

It was easily the worst thing I saw at the Long Beach CLO (now defunct), and I saw a lot.

by Anonymousreply 525October 27, 2018 10:06 AM

[quote]I saw King Kong. It'll give me bragging rights in years to come. The leading lady may have a career after this debacle as she does pretty well with the shite she's been handed. Everyone else will disappear after the critical lambasting.

Does the ape sign Playbills at the stage door?

by Anonymousreply 526October 27, 2018 10:27 AM

I don't totally get how the DEH casting works, if anyone here is insider enough to explain - like why would Lisa Brescia get Bway and not the tour and Jessica Phillips get the tour and not Bway? Same for Christiane Noll and Aaron Lazar.

by Anonymousreply 527October 27, 2018 11:14 AM

[quote]She did the final "Parade" reprise wearing a Native American costume for some reason

Was she doing a rain dance during the song? Cuz that would be pretty counterproductive.

by Anonymousreply 528October 27, 2018 11:35 AM

The only way Funny Girl will ever be revived on Broadway is with someone who can SING. Period. The end. Sheridan Smith is not a singer.

by Anonymousreply 529October 27, 2018 11:44 AM

R502 here. Well that damn ape puppet was the best part of the show. The audience went wild for it - lots of tourists and families. I was impressed with how expressive its face was. Some of the best acting on the stage. The cast was OK, Darrow was decent considering the material she had to work with. Some nice looking chorus dudes. The physical production was actually pretty impressive. The show itself was dreck. Musically it was confused and didn’t know what it was meant to be. For a piece that is supposed to be set in the 30s they really didn’t try to go for any kind of period sound - lots of guitars and power ballads. The choreography made little sense - still trying to figure out why someone pulled break dancing moves in the opening. The book was mediocre, but they did manage to make Kong a sympathetic character more than monster.

C-

by Anonymousreply 530October 27, 2018 11:45 AM

Liliane as Young Grizabella.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 531October 27, 2018 1:17 PM

Fanny's Indian number.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532October 27, 2018 1:21 PM

Such a dark Rose....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 533October 27, 2018 1:30 PM

R515, a number of years ago a few of us were having drinks at Bar Centrale and Stockard was there after a show, a few other notables joined us and she came over, incredibly warm and feeling no pain, she was a peach but even then I was distracted by her facial work, it seems almost painful looking. Why do these actresses all get the bad filler? What quack doctor is doing such awful work?

by Anonymousreply 534October 27, 2018 1:42 PM

I don't know, r534, but perhaps The Girl Most Likely left an indelible impression on her.

by Anonymousreply 535October 27, 2018 1:46 PM

When Stockard was in Other Desert Cities, the plastic surgery was perfect for her character. I remember at the time some people were wondering whether it was makeup for the show or whether it was real.

She was phenomenal, by the way. But since then, she’s gone overboard with the work, and now it’s a distraction.

by Anonymousreply 536October 27, 2018 1:54 PM

I was so looking forward to seeing Betty Lynn in Gypsy, having heard a tape of her doing Roses Turn from a BBC recording of the show. She blew me away, so imagine how disappointing her performance was at Papermill. Sadly, she certainly could have pulled it off spectacularly, if she had the right director and listened to him/her. I think that was during her craziest period.

by Anonymousreply 537October 27, 2018 2:00 PM

Her face could be swollen due to a medical condition. In fact, that makes much much much more sense than surgery. She is old and it is unfortunate but when it comes to making appearances, that's life and she just goes out anyway.

by Anonymousreply 538October 27, 2018 2:02 PM

What do you think of the musical "Follies"?

by Anonymousreply 539October 27, 2018 2:02 PM

Thanks for going to see the Big Puppet show, R530. You took one for the team.

So given that Kong's current show is pretty bad and likely to close, but he is the best thing in it -- do you think we should be considering Kong for a revival of Funny Girl as Fannie? Or should he be Sally in Follies?

by Anonymousreply 540October 27, 2018 2:07 PM

Mimi's Fanny.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541October 27, 2018 2:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 542October 27, 2018 2:49 PM

Really, R539? Shut it.

by Anonymousreply 543October 27, 2018 2:55 PM

R533 - I don't think there's anything wrong with a dark "Rose's Turn" -- it's like a god damn mental meltdown. What I don't particularly like about that performance of Betty's is all the INDICATING. It feels so high school spring musical production. I mean the literal baseball motion on "batting a thousand..." etc. and frantically darting from one spot to the next -- never letting a moment land. I guess it's a choice, but, this, even in its abbreviated form, was incredible, because Bernie knew when to be busy (like earlier in the song) and when to let stillness take over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 544October 27, 2018 2:56 PM

Do the Brits start laughing every time someone addresses her as "Fanny" in "Funny Girl" over in the UK? Fanny means a lady's private parts over there, and is kind of a naughty word. Have they ever done the Harold Rome "Fanny" in the UK? How would that look on the marquee?

by Anonymousreply 545October 27, 2018 2:58 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546October 27, 2018 3:07 PM

Drury Lane produced Fanny in 1956, successfully, though it wasn't a smash.

Oddly, it was a completely different staging from Broadway, though ever since Oklahoma! it was routine to bring over the Broadway production.

by Anonymousreply 547October 27, 2018 3:07 PM

When the movie version was made, the posters proclaimed, “Joshua Logan’s Fanny”, which caused hilarity in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 548October 27, 2018 3:13 PM

[quote]The only way Funny Girl will ever be revived on Broadway is with someone who can SING.

AND be funny. I think that's why nobody wants to bring the show to Broaday with Lea Michele. She's not funny.

by Anonymousreply 549October 27, 2018 3:42 PM

Will Miss Jessica Lange show up at the opening to King Kong?

I remember when Nick & Nora opened, they dragged poor Myrna Loy, who was then in her late 80s, to the opening. She had to sit there and pretend that the horror show she saw on stage was as good as the material she performed in The Thin Man series.

by Anonymousreply 550October 27, 2018 3:49 PM

r526 and r540 tied for the win.

by Anonymousreply 551October 27, 2018 3:54 PM

I haven't seen King Kong, but I've always been puzzled at the way Drew McOnie has been hailed in London for years as a director/choreographer wonderkid. Save the Regents Park On the Town, nothing I've seen that's been choreographed by him has felt particularly inspired, and some of his directorial work has been downright insipid. The London premiere of the LaChuisa Wild Party tried far too hard to be sexy and dangerous, and Strictly Ballroom was a hot mess.

King Kong and Strictly has the same Australian producers. Who clearly have far more money than taste.

I'm surprised that Jack Thorne was willing to lend his talents to this, though.

by Anonymousreply 552October 27, 2018 4:06 PM

Stockard's weird face bloat may be due to the steroids she takes for her bad knees.

by Anonymousreply 553October 27, 2018 5:07 PM

[quote]I remember when Nick & Nora opened, they dragged poor Myrna Loy, who was then in her late 80s

In their defense, Myrna was still in her 70s when the show started previews.

by Anonymousreply 554October 27, 2018 5:12 PM

OMG Pos Zadora ending a performance of Funny Girl as a Native America. Woman is the best thing I’ve read on datalounge in weeks.

I feel like that ending should be the new standard

by Anonymousreply 555October 27, 2018 5:20 PM

Bea Arthur rules Rain on my Parade

by Anonymousreply 556October 27, 2018 5:23 PM

of the semi-hot Broadway men who get acclaimed for sexiness, James Snyder is the only real one

by Anonymousreply 557October 27, 2018 5:28 PM

R554 is brilliant!

by Anonymousreply 558October 27, 2018 5:30 PM

Someone really needs to revive that DL classic - Fuckups of Broadway. Next to the old Summer Stock memories thread, it might be one of the dishiest...!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559October 27, 2018 7:30 PM

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK was Susie Thighmaster's Broadway show?? How did this get produced??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 560October 27, 2018 7:35 PM

I was reading through r559s Broadway fuckups thread and Les Miz at the Tonys was posted.

Holy Jesus, this is bad. Marius sounds terrible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 561October 27, 2018 8:06 PM

Mimi Hines has a very unfortunate overbite.

by Anonymousreply 562October 27, 2018 8:17 PM

I thought fanny just meant someone behind. My grandmother always said she would whack me on my fanny if I didn't stop whatever wrong thing I was doing.

There was an episode of "Get Smart" where Max and 99 were undercover as actors playing a maid and butler for some reason. Max had the line "You shot me, Fanny!" but he kept saying "You shot me fanny!" and it was hilarious.

Lots of women were named Fanny in the first three decades of the 20th century, including in England.

by Anonymousreply 563October 27, 2018 8:59 PM

Fanny in the US is your buttocks. Fanny in the UK is a woman's pvssy.

by Anonymousreply 564October 27, 2018 9:03 PM

"Fanny" when meaning pussy, has literary connotations!

"Vagina, named after early 18th century English erotic novel 'Fanny Hill'. Later became slang for the posterior in the USA."

by Anonymousreply 565October 27, 2018 9:06 PM

FOLLIES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566October 27, 2018 9:08 PM

Is it time yet to bring back "cacophony"?

by Anonymousreply 567October 27, 2018 9:14 PM

Darn tootin', r563!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 568October 27, 2018 9:16 PM

"Follies" is a very good show. What were some of your favorite performances in that show?

by Anonymousreply 569October 27, 2018 9:20 PM

Your mom sucking John McMartin's dick and eating Alexis Smith's cunt

by Anonymousreply 570October 27, 2018 9:22 PM

^^the middle schoolers have arrived. hooray.

by Anonymousreply 571October 27, 2018 9:33 PM

R570, your mom called. Your extra large order of Krispy Kremes has arrived. She wanted to remind you to use the freeway, she's sure it'll be safe with your skateboard.

by Anonymousreply 572October 27, 2018 9:34 PM

R570 was the only LOL moment of this thread

by Anonymousreply 573October 27, 2018 9:49 PM

You asked for it!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 574October 27, 2018 10:11 PM

I thought r570 was an acceptable response to the troll at r569, who kept at it after already failing at r539.

by Anonymousreply 575October 27, 2018 10:14 PM

The Cher Show's starting previews soon, and the Temptations and Tina Turner shows are soon to follow. Inevitably, it will be Madonna's turn. Which would be the lesser of two evils -- a jukebox musical or a bio musical?

by Anonymousreply 576October 28, 2018 2:16 AM

[quote]Inevitably, it will be Madonna's turn.

That’s a nasty threat, r576!

by Anonymousreply 577October 28, 2018 2:25 AM

If you google around you'll find photos of Barbra Streisand in an "Indian maiden" costume in the original production of Funny Girl, though it may have been cut by the time the show opened on Broadway.

Fanny Brice actually did a famous bit as an Indian Maiden though there was no such number in Funny Girl but audiences then were old enough to remember the character, as they did Baby Snooks, another Brice creation.

by Anonymousreply 578October 28, 2018 2:47 AM

Streisand was also costumed as an “Indian” in Funny Lady, too. Remember when Fanny threatens to hurl a tomahawk at Billy Rose in her dressing room?

by Anonymousreply 579October 28, 2018 3:46 AM

[520] here. The trailer could not have been a worse representation of the show if they tried. The audio/video is the don’t rain on my parade reprise at the end of the show. It’s the worst costume she wears all evening. She handled the number much better at the end of act one. I didn’t notice much gasping until that number, which was someonewhat understandable given it’s an exhausting show to carry and she spent the preceding half hour crying. I don’t mean to say that Sheridan Smith is a viable choice for a broadway revival, she’s not. And while I had my reservations about her she gave a good performance. The production/new book I could absolutely see being the basis of a broadway revival if it were glammed up a bit.

by Anonymousreply 580October 28, 2018 3:47 AM

Funny Lady also had two brief bits of Baby Snooks. One where Fanny's got the water wings and the swimsuit and is distracting the bathing beauties. The other where she's completing a radio sketch near the end.

by Anonymousreply 581October 28, 2018 3:50 AM

Pia Zadora honestly isn't a bad singer at all. She's not even a terrible actress. She's just sorta there. She was never shockingly bad, just blah.

Don't get me started on Betty's "Rose's Turn". Brilliantly sung, but about as emotionally involving as a tuna fish sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 582October 28, 2018 4:07 AM

And FUNNY GIRL (the movie) also has a little bit of Barbra as Fanny as Baby Snooks, when she exits the stage after a number as that character and then confronts the reporters about Nick Arnstein's arrest.

by Anonymousreply 583October 28, 2018 4:09 AM

King Kong and Mighty Joe Young in a revival of War Paint. Would have to be better than the show that played last season.

by Anonymousreply 584October 28, 2018 4:22 AM

r584 you type fat

by Anonymousreply 585October 28, 2018 4:54 AM

Audio boots of Company/London and MFL/Benanti are in circulation.

by Anonymousreply 586October 28, 2018 9:19 AM

r533 I don't know that one can even say this was well sung but poorly acted. Some of her annoying tics are in display, like bending the melody ("This people's spreadin' it AROUND") and rushing through lines ("I dreamed it FOR YOU, June" and the next few lines).

I agree with r544 about her "indicating". She also makes some plainly weird gestures, like holding her head in "Some people got it and make it pay." It's almost the same gesture as Liza singing "Get a feathered hat for the baby"! And those kicks after "Mama's gonna show it to ya" are just frightening.

I have to wonder if she's ever asked YouTube to take the clip down. It really doesn't show her off well.

by Anonymousreply 587October 28, 2018 1:38 PM

Pretty sure Betty considers it part of the director’s job to tell her when something doesn’t work. You have to be unafraid of giving her feedback

by Anonymousreply 588October 28, 2018 1:40 PM

Barbrahontas.............

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 589October 28, 2018 3:19 PM

I saw Pia Zadora's Carnegie Hall concert in the 1980s. She was actually very good. I thought she sounded a lot like Liza. Pia was married to a really rich guy, so she hired a full orchestra and had some good arrangements made, but she had a good voice which sold them. I mean, she had been cast in shows on Broadway before, so it wasn't like she was coming from no experience. I was actually impressed.

by Anonymousreply 590October 28, 2018 3:36 PM

Bajour!

by Anonymousreply 591October 28, 2018 3:39 PM

Q: How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

A: Marry a rich guy who'll rent it for you.

by Anonymousreply 592October 28, 2018 3:40 PM

LIke a lot of those foreign artists playing Carnegie Hall no one has heard of, even if you're rather up on who is who in the classical world?

by Anonymousreply 593October 28, 2018 3:42 PM

Well, that settles it. I'd like Pia Zadora as Patti's standby when Company comes back to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 594October 28, 2018 3:59 PM

Pretty much any performance venue in the world can be yours for a price. Apparently lots of yokels don't consider that.

by Anonymousreply 595October 28, 2018 4:07 PM

The Cher Show and To Kill a Mockingbird start previews on Thursday. Is anybody going to either?

by Anonymousreply 596October 28, 2018 4:09 PM

I Zadore Pia!

by Anonymousreply 597October 28, 2018 4:12 PM

I believe it's already been offered to Miss Joey Heatherton, r597.

by Anonymousreply 598October 28, 2018 4:25 PM

We hope the new thread title doesn't suck

by Anonymousreply 599October 28, 2018 4:27 PM

A...My Name Is Alice starring Patti LuPone, Bernadette Peters, Tovah Feldshuh and Pia Zadora.

by Anonymousreply 600October 28, 2018 4:30 PM

c'mon - we need a Bajour! to end this thing!

by Anonymousreply 601October 28, 2018 4:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!