Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What problem are you currently facing in your life? How will you solve it?

I'm struggling with overeating. I read books and articles about it and then keep on eating, which is obviously filling some kind of emotional need. Continuing the search for moderation. I know I'm ruining my health but the reward is greater than thoughts of illness.

You?

by Anonymousreply 57October 24, 2018 11:51 PM

My Mom is dying, she probably won't make it through Christmas. I am devastated and trying to manage her finances. To add to everything, my 80+ y/o father is taking things badly and has his own health issues but is managing to make care for my Mom difficult. I am pretty sure that I will end my own life after Mom dies, I have nothing to live for and the only thing that stopped me from doing so in the past was that it would devastate my Mom.

by Anonymousreply 1October 19, 2018 12:47 PM

Deciding whether I want a red or black interior in my new convertible.

by Anonymousreply 2October 19, 2018 12:49 PM

R1, I'm so sorry you're in this position. As an only child with no other family, I was sole caretaker for my mother then my father. It's the hardest work of a lifetime but you will not regret it after some time has passed. Please reconsider your plans for the future.

by Anonymousreply 3October 19, 2018 12:54 PM

I'm so sorry R1. There any counselling available for you? That's a lot to handle on your own.

by Anonymousreply 4October 19, 2018 1:04 PM

^Is there (R4)

by Anonymousreply 5October 19, 2018 1:05 PM

Work politics.

Calling in sick.

by Anonymousreply 6October 19, 2018 1:10 PM

Hang in there r1. Life may take an unexpected sweet turn for you, you never know. Your mom would want u to stick around with us and find out. Sending support vibes to u.

by Anonymousreply 7October 19, 2018 1:16 PM

My husband makes a pitiful 174,000 a year, forcing me to work 70 hours a week as an investment banker at Goldman Sachs. No second home for us. Sometimes I sit on the side of a freeway and just cry and cry and cry.

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2018 1:23 PM

Eldercare here too.

My 96-year old grandmother is failing, my 75 year-old mother will be a basketcase whenever grandmother dies, my father died two years ago and as an only child, I've been dealing with all of my mother's needs since then and for the foreseeable future. This is rough as she is very codependent and not particularly capable.

Meanwhile, both of my partner's parents died within the past six years and he's still working on getting their property (not good property -- white trashy hoarder property) disposed of with absolutely NO help whatever from his awful siblings.

I don't see any solutions here; I see myself spending decades on eldercare and being utterly drained by it mentally and emotionally so that by the time it's all over I won't have the energy left to enjoy what years I have remaining.

by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2018 1:28 PM

R4 Yes I could get help but I have been down that road before and I am pretty realistic about what the future holds for a 54 y/o gay guy. I have a b/f but we don't live together and have grown even further apart in recent months.

by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2018 1:28 PM

Hugs to you, R9. It's not an easy road. Very glad you have some support from your bf. Hang in there.

by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2018 1:38 PM

Myself. I have no follow through. I've never seen anything through in my life. I hide from my problems, until they become big to the point of no return. I am just the sort of person some people on dl complain about. Quite rightly.

by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2018 1:42 PM

I've tried counseling, reading books on psychology and self-help, reading studies. I've tried setting small goals, meditating, journaling, talking to people who have got through challenges. Nothing sticks, the impulsive side of me always wins out over the prefrontal cortex. No matter how many steps I take in the right direction, I am always pulled back.

by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2018 1:47 PM

Lost an essential friendship...just trying to accept it and move on. I am lucky in that when it happened, the universe stepped in and I received the support of other friends who did not even know I needed it. It could have been much worse but I am really sad anyway. :(

by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2018 1:52 PM

R1 listen to R3. I’ve been there too and you will come through it and find meaning in your life again. I’m sending you the warmest of wishes and it’s posts like yours that make me wish there was a PM feature here because I would help you in any way I can. Take care of yourself.

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2018 1:55 PM

Thank you, R11. How did it all work out for you?

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2018 1:57 PM

Please take time for yourself R10, burnout is a real problem. Maybe reconnect with your bf too, you never know he may be more supportive than you know.

by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2018 2:01 PM

Procrastination and self sabotage.

I’ve had two goals. To write something and to get in shape and date again. I have stacks of books on my desk, I’ve taken courses in writing, been to seminars but I cannot motivate myself to start. I think I’m afraid that I’ll fail.

Every year I lose 30 pounds at least twice. I get ripped, 10% body fat. I go on vacation to a National Park and do a massive hike. I come home and it’s time to face the music and set up a Grindr profile so I squander all my hard work by binge eating myself back to chubbiness. I’ve just done it again gaining 24 pounds since I got back from hiking to the bottom on the Grand Canyon on September 10th. Last night I ate 3 packs of cookies and a pizza staring at the pics I took in the GC with a 6 pack and vascular biceps. Now I have a layer of chub on my abs and can’t fit into the shorts I wore. I guess I’m so afraid of rejection and of still not being good enough that I sabotage myself and hide behind a layer of fat which gives me an excuse. “I’m not dating because I’m waiting to lose 30lbs”.

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2018 2:04 PM

Losing parents is hard, no argument. But there is a very free life waiting for you on the other side, a good life. I promise. I’ve been there and felt guilty about it actually. Embrace it. Your parents would want that for you. Hugs to all.

by Anonymousreply 19October 19, 2018 2:06 PM

Dear god you sound remarkably tiresome, R18. Fearing I'd meet someone like you is why I absolutely do not date "internet" people. If I don't know you in my immediate world then no thanks.

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2018 2:09 PM

I now I am R20. That’s why I have zero self esteem and suicidal tendencies.

by Anonymousreply 21October 19, 2018 2:19 PM

R9, everything worked out fine. When you're in the middle of a trying time it's hard to see things coming to an end but they do, and life does return to normal. Took care of my mother, diagnosed with dementia, then she passed (I'd quit my job to help my dad care for her and moved in with them so it was a triple whammy) then my dad got sick so I repeated the process.

The depression and anxiety which had always plagued me got very bad but I had no alternative but to soldier on. My father died peacefully in the hospital. Six years later life has returned to normal, I have a new job, my bf's moved in with me and I'm happy. It will happen to you also. Don't hesitate to post here or start a thread if you want to discuss your situation. There are the predictable snarkers who'll respond but there are many caring people on this board. Wishing you all the best.

by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2018 2:21 PM

R20, perhaps this is not the thread for you.

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2018 2:22 PM

R20, you are mean.

I'd hang out with you r18. I love hiking and being fit. I work on being fit but sabotage myself with too much beer and/or wine.

by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2018 2:22 PM

I'm haunted by what I've seen of animal suffering in this world, e.g.:

• Wild animals who are hunted and/or whose habitats are destroyed (e.g. deforestation, global climate change, oil spills, plastics on which they choke or are impaled),

• Animals experimented on (e.g., vivisection),

• Those used for entertainment,

• Those just casually abused (e.g. the baby dolphin who died in Spain when beachgoers took him out of the water for Instagram photos),

• Animals abandoned, those farmed for food (horrifying videos),

• Those captured in the wild as sold as pets (e.g., parrots and jaguars in Dubai on Instagram),

• Those killed by villagers or burned alive (e.g., palm oil plantation expansion's nightmare destruction of orangutans,

• Those who are separated from their loved ones and enslaved

Global institutions (e.g., UNICEF) help children. Ending war is largely about saving children (literally, children on the ground, future generations, etc.). Everyone loves children. But to so many, animals are just property or "don't feel like we do." It hurts so much when I hear that. I place myself in their situations, imagining the pain, horror, confusion, voicelessness, powerlessness, isolation, hopelessness, etc. and it hurts so much. Of course it leads me to consider escaping this life — at least several times an hour.

And then I hear "What about plants - don't they feel pain?" or "What about all the suffering people in the world - Syria, etc.?" 99% of global concern (news coverage, institutional effort, spending, reform) is about helping humans, and that's wonderful. I just wish we'd care more about (and also protect) animals, too. If one makes the comparison between human suffering and that of other animals, the majority of people are terribly offended, and that's so discouraging in that it tells me their hearts haven't changed much if any

To partially and temporarily relieve the otherwise constant psychological distress (sadness, hopelessness, horror, frustration, etc.) I feel, I give to animal protection charities, adopt companion animals, donate supplies to rescues, and will soon start volunteering again (I've avoided it too long of late, because of the sadness I feel when seeing the suffering in-person, but I figure since I'm already sad, what difference does it make, especially if I'm concretely helping). I briefly worked in animal protection as an attorney, but bad habits I picked up from prior law firm practice.... I was fired (I'm being as honest as I can here). Also, I have a way of eating (and choosing items that I wear, etc.) that doesn't hurt animals (insofar as I can verify) (it kind of rhymes with "began") — but one that I won't name here because I don't want to trigger DLers who absolutely hate it (it kind of rhymes with "began") (well, more like I don't want to read their invectives in reply). Lately I've been listening to fairy tales from Audible, though I'm not sure why ... maybe I'm feeling creative, and perhaps want to adapt one for something.

To "solve" it ... I'll do what I can in my life to contribute and help. It'll be a constant thing that alleviates the sadness, in the moment. Like keeping good posture — takes effort, has to be done continuously. I'll even pick up a bottle cap and make sure it goes in the trash (and thus is likely safely buried in a landfill, yes, to ooze chemicals over millennia but at least not likely to go in the ocean and help kill an animal in coming years), and that brings me relief (though it also causes me to feel some embarrassment, though I'm ashamed to admit that).

I'm always heartened when other DLers express the similar views. It shows me that consciousness is changing (I won't say "rising" because some take it as being overly judgemental) — or maybe just that I'm not alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2018 2:23 PM

[quote]But there is a very free life waiting for you on the other side, a good life. I promise. I’ve been there and felt guilty about it actually. Embrace it. Your parents would want that for you.

Very wise words, R19.

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2018 2:25 PM

[quote]Dear god you sound remarkably tiresome, [R18]. Fearing I'd meet someone like you is why I absolutely do not date "internet" people. If I don't know you in my immediate world then no thanks.

You are an asshole, R20

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2018 2:27 PM

R18, you are a worthwhile human being whether or NOT you're starved and exercised into oblivion. That's the lesson you need to learn. Also you are damaging your health and fucking up your metabolism with your yo-yo dieting, but you probably know that.

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2018 2:46 PM

For OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2018 2:49 PM

[quote]Every year I lose 30 pounds at least twice. I get ripped, 10% body fat.

Yeah, you've got some relationship-avoidant issues that might be helped by therapy. You should also know that plenty of guys would prefer someone with a bit of extra weight over someone with 10% body fat. You just may not find them on Grindr.

by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2018 3:02 PM

When people say therapy do they mean a psychologist? I get so confused between psychologists/counsellors/family therapists/psychiatrists/analysists etc.. A few years ago I went to a counsellor after a bereavement and I think she made me worse and I’ve been wary ever since. How do you find a good one?

by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2018 3:09 PM

R31, that's a really good question. It seems like you have to spend a lot of money and time before you find someone who is a good fit.

by Anonymousreply 32October 19, 2018 3:34 PM

Thought I had problems with low income job and demanding, needy 83 year old mother. Then my sibling was diagnosed with terminal cancer with 4 kids under 16 and now I have real problems. It’s all relative. Crazy how the mind works - often when there is no crisis, we sink into our mental problems which seem worse than real problems. Been thinking a lot about depression vs grief. Depression is such a complicated difficult thing to overcome and seems to fill space when there is an absence of real problems in life. Caring for the sick is a mentally and emotionally draining task. But it does inject meaning into life.

by Anonymousreply 33October 19, 2018 3:35 PM

R29, thank you. I'm at work but will watch when I get home.

by Anonymousreply 34October 19, 2018 3:42 PM

[quote]Caring for the sick is a mentally and emotionally draining task. But it does inject meaning into life.

Big time. Sadly, it seems to become apparent only in hindsight.

by Anonymousreply 35October 19, 2018 3:44 PM

Hugs, R33.

by Anonymousreply 36October 23, 2018 7:07 PM

Yeah, overeating, loneliness, aging, relatively minor health issues. I mostly just try to focus on today and maybe tomorrow, but I plan vacations every few months to have something to look forward. I sometimes pay for a friend or relative to go with me so I have company. Right now my weight has hit an all time high so I try to step onto the scale every time I feel like snacking to discourage myself. Everyone struggles in their own way, so I try to count my blessings and not obsess over losses and disappointments.

by Anonymousreply 37October 23, 2018 7:23 PM

Wow, R20 is exactly why this world is so fucked up.

R19, dont put so much pressure on yourself. Try to rid yourself of the whole all or none psychology.Therapy may be a really great thing for you. Sorry R20 is such a douche.

by Anonymousreply 38October 23, 2018 7:31 PM

I sympathize with those who feel like life is too painful to go on, but I decided at some point to stick it out. I have learned the hard way to just take what comes and see what will happen next. I’m not saying that things will get a lot better but some times are not as bad as others. Be as kind to yourself as you can, especially if nobody else is doing that for you. Do what you need to do to survive. Death will come in its own time.

by Anonymousreply 39October 23, 2018 7:32 PM

I’d rather be friends with R18 than R20.

by Anonymousreply 40October 23, 2018 7:34 PM

Me too, R40.

by Anonymousreply 41October 23, 2018 7:34 PM

Problems are only solved in mathematics. In life, they are only coped with.

by Anonymousreply 42October 23, 2018 7:35 PM

R18 I like fit fat. Too ripped is a turn off

by Anonymousreply 43October 23, 2018 7:38 PM

Agree R39. Death will come - and sometimes it takes a cancer diagnosis to snap you out of your self-imposed misery and reallize that you actually do want to live. Be curious about what tomorrow brings - or next month.

by Anonymousreply 44October 23, 2018 7:44 PM

I'm with you, R25. Instagram had really increased awareness and some people's hearts are changing. Kind people, once they're aware of what's happening, do care and some do change.

by Anonymousreply 45October 23, 2018 9:22 PM

R25 is my favorite person, ever, on DL.

by Anonymousreply 46October 23, 2018 9:33 PM

Trying to please everyone

by Anonymousreply 47October 23, 2018 9:38 PM

minus $85 in my checking account until Friday. everyone around me is upper middle class - i dont know how they do it. I have small savings; not enough to retire. scrimp by all the time. fuck.

by Anonymousreply 48October 23, 2018 9:43 PM

I know the feeling. I only have 1 million left in my savings.

by Anonymousreply 49October 23, 2018 9:47 PM

I'm obsessed with a young man who doesn't seem to share my feelings, but won't reject me either. So I'm constantly convincing myself there's a chance and spending all my time thinking about him. Meanwhile my husband and pets are neglected and getting bitter.

by Anonymousreply 50October 23, 2018 9:54 PM

R46, thanks. I wish I knew you, too. You made my day — knowing there's another person who feels similarly is a true comfort. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 51October 24, 2018 3:24 AM

Advice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 24, 2018 4:03 PM

There's a sub-Reddit for Datalounge and you can direct message other users. Might be an option for those seeking to be less lonely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 24, 2018 11:09 PM

I need a place to live, I'm in a bad living arrangement right now but can't find a place that will rent to me short term. I'm thinking of just leaving the state and moving into a motel.

by Anonymousreply 54October 24, 2018 11:40 PM

I recently moved back ton a small town that I originally left Due to lesbian drama.

I've spent the past couple weeks re connecting with friends that were a part of my circle pre-drama. Detaching myself from them originally was my own doing.

I'm really happy I did this. I've missed these friends so much - I just finally feel better - like being home again.

by Anonymousreply 55October 24, 2018 11:44 PM

R54 Extended stay hotel rooms with kitchenette can be had for about $40/night for stays longer than 30 days. Maid service once a week. Laundry facilities available.

by Anonymousreply 56October 24, 2018 11:46 PM

R56 I'm definitely considering it. It's just I'm in a somewhat caretaker role (very difficult to explain ) and I feel guilty leaving. I just don't know if I can stay living in this area anymore. Thanks for the tip though.

by Anonymousreply 57October 24, 2018 11:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!