Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

High Tide / Low Tide

Does everyone know these general schedules but me? Or are there NO schedules?

I went to a tide pool in the late afternoon today and stared at things. I saw frolicking hermit crabs. No star fish or sea anemones...but i’m just getting started.

Then I started thinking, If someone did this every day, (like, wanted to spy on the day to day changes in a particular tide pool), would you have to always be adjusting your visitation schedule?

Because now I want to see the area at High Tide, for starters....but is that at consistent times? Then I want to poke at it again at low tide.

I’m suddenly wondering if everyone knows all this but me : (

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 8, 2018 7:53 AM

There are two high and two low tides every lunar day (24 hours and 50 minutes), so each high/low occurs 12 hours and 25 minutes from the last. Just look up a tide chart for your location.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2018 4:22 AM

Go purchase a "Tide Book," Op.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2018 4:27 AM

You will see more at low tide.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2018 4:32 AM

But, do you generally think of high and low tide as being the same every day? Or is there wide variations?

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2018 4:36 AM

I didn’t see r1 at first

THANK YOU!

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2018 4:40 AM

How many years will I have to sit there to see this???

I better bring a sandwich.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2018 4:54 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2018 5:01 AM

Are there really people who don't know this shit?

Is OP particularly stupid, or are there tons of stupid people just like him?

How can you not know how tides work?

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2018 5:02 AM

R8 I am not the outdoorsy type!

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2018 5:07 AM

In other news flashes, the sun rises each morning in the east and sets in the west, but those times change according to the season. And the moon goes through a cycle of waxing and waning every 29.5 days.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2018 5:31 AM

R9, neither am I! I and never saw my first tide-pool until I was in my 30s! But I knew how tides worked BECAUSE I WENT TO SCHOOL. They teach this crap. Even in the Midwest! It's called SCIENCE CLASS. Earth sciences. If you didn't know how this stuff worked by 7th grade (in many cases, a LOT earlier), then something is wrong with you.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2018 5:35 AM

Sometimes wet stuff falls from the sky, but other days it does not.

Is there some way I can find out what might happen tomorrow so I know I should bring an umbrella to work?

Or is that type of thing just impossible to know in advance?

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2018 5:36 AM

R10 my question is about the CONSISTENCY of tides, you know-it-all bitch!

So you’re saying if I go to a tide pool at the same time every single day, the tide will be at the same high or low level, always and forever? That is all I am asking!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2018 5:47 AM

Dude.... does the moon rise and set the same time every day?

You understand the tides are caused by the moon, right?

Do you realize how stupid your question is?

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2018 6:16 AM

Does the sun come up EVERY DAY?!? Does the sun ever come out at night?

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2018 6:17 AM

Y’all better watch your FACES at night!

It would be terrible if some tide pool regular put a CROWN OF THORNS STARFISH on ‘em!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2018 6:22 AM

NO - it is not the same every day - the moons orbit around the earth is not in complete sync with the earths rotation --- but its close --- there is a few minutes change daily----- there is a timetable book available.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2018 6:47 AM

Merci.

I will not put a Crown of Thorns Starfish on your sleeping face.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2018 6:48 AM

This thread makes me think of Cackle Cackle and the price of gas at Half Moon Bay. Good times, old times.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2018 6:51 AM

Go to weather sites like The Weather Channel. Check under the Boat and Beach section and see the tide information for coastal cities.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2018 7:02 AM

My parents had a beach house. We’d go there right at the end of the school year and stay most of the summer. Me and my brothers were like porpoises and only cared about high tide.

When we arrived at the house for the first time each year my father would bring in the local paper. There was a page that had the tides listed by beach and township going from north to south.

My ocd brother would sit and calculate all the high tides for summer while we all unpacked and opened the house.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2018 9:14 AM

Buy a tide chart. Or any place that has a connection to boats (marina shop, boat supply place, fishing and bait shop, seafood restaurants) will hand them out for free and for sure it's online *for your area*. Every part of the coast is different.

Generally you need to be aware if the tide is coming in or going out.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2018 1:46 PM

And yes, it changes a few minutes every day.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2018 1:50 PM

OP, you knew the tides were caused by the moon, right?

And you know the moon rises and sets at slightly different times every day, right?

Could you not make the connection yourself?

Serious question.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2018 2:14 PM

OP? Can you answer the question, please? I'm deeply curious.

by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2018 11:03 PM

OP, please don't be stupid. If you don't want to shell out for a tide book, check the local newspaper; it should give the high and low tides for the day and the following day. And you could have answered your own general stupid questions on google.

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2018 11:07 PM

OP never came back. Huh.

by Anonymousreply 27October 30, 2018 5:38 AM

Damn, i bet a woman's period would blow his mind.

by Anonymousreply 28October 30, 2018 5:52 AM

[quote]So you’re saying if I go to a tide pool at the same time every single day, the tide will be at the same high or low level, always and forever? That is all I am asking!

The first response answered the question beautifully:

"There are two high and two low tides every lunar day (24 hours and 50 minutes), so each high/low occurs 12 hours and 25 minutes from the last. Just look up a tide chart for your location."

Since a day is 24 hours, and the tides are every 12 hours and 25 minutes, the answer is no, they change by approx 25 minutes per day.

by Anonymousreply 29October 30, 2018 5:57 AM

Since the tides are affected by the waters being “pulled” toward the moon, and that just revolves around us once a day, why are there two low tides per 24 hours (approximately) instead of just one?

by Anonymousreply 30October 30, 2018 9:44 AM

Why does this sound like a John thread?

by Anonymousreply 31October 30, 2018 9:59 AM

I remember it being in the paper, where it said what time the sun would go down, stuff like that. I don’t get the paper anymore, but I have the internet. So, you know...there’s that.

by Anonymousreply 32October 30, 2018 10:08 AM

Are there tides in the Mediterranean?

by Anonymousreply 33October 30, 2018 10:10 AM

OK, so I don’t know why we have trees with colorful leaves sometimes, trees with green leaves sometimes, and trees that look like bare sticks sometimes. Can’t we vote about this or something? I’m voting for colored leaves all year long.

by Anonymousreply 34October 30, 2018 10:11 AM

If you live on the coast you know about tides. Local papers often post the tide times.

by Anonymousreply 35October 30, 2018 10:15 AM

I majored in literature....not nature!

by Anonymousreply 36October 30, 2018 10:21 AM

My friend Julie smells like low tide.

by Anonymousreply 37October 30, 2018 10:30 AM

[quote] Damn, i bet a woman's period would blow his mind.

Aren’t those fairly predictable? Roughly same time each month? Tides are far more nuanced than human body fluid patterns.

by Anonymousreply 38October 30, 2018 10:37 AM

OP, seems like you’ve got it. The tide cycle is greater than our 24 hour day, so yes. The timing of low & high tide shifts.

I would not beat myself up for not knowing that. We all have things we learn later. It’s part of growth. I have no idea how old you are but be proud that you’ve made it this far with your curiosity intact. It’s one of the most important parts of aging well.

People who aren’t curious become judgmental, snarky datalounge posters.

by Anonymousreply 39October 30, 2018 11:39 AM

Op needs to go to college or read a book.

by Anonymousreply 40October 30, 2018 12:00 PM

R40, College? How about Jr High?

by Anonymousreply 41October 30, 2018 1:56 PM

OP needs to answer his own questions by making one goddamned google search, FFS.

by Anonymousreply 42October 31, 2018 2:14 AM

[quote]r42 OP needs to answer his own questions by making one goddamned google search, FFS.

The problem with google searches is you get 40 hits to lots and lots of blogs and articles, all with varying technicality, and if you’re not in that “oceanography world” you don’t know how to rate those different sources.

By asking a question here, you get a string of short, specific answers you can use as a starting point to build from.......BITCH!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 31, 2018 5:07 AM

Oh bullshit, R43.

Type "Is High Tide the same time every day" into Google, and you get a clear, succinct answer right at the top.

Fuck off with your nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 44October 31, 2018 5:36 AM

Don’t remind us of the red tide sludge.

by Anonymousreply 45October 31, 2018 6:10 AM

[quote]R44 Fuck off with your nonsense.

No...NO, [italic]you[/italic] fuck off!

WHY MUST YOU PERSECUTE MR ? ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 31, 2018 6:17 AM

*me*

So mad I am SPITTING typos!

by Anonymousreply 47October 31, 2018 6:18 AM

Ask Siri when is high (or low) tide at your location on a specific date. You’ll have the answer in seconds.

I went on a cruise out of New York to New England and Canada a year ago. We crossed under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge just minutes after high tide on our sail-away. It looked like it would be a closer call than it turned out to be, but it was fun just the same. The captain blew the foghorns as we passed under and the semi-trucks on the bridge blew their air horns back at us.

by Anonymousreply 48October 31, 2018 6:38 AM

[quote]R39 OP, seems like you’ve got it...I would not beat myself up for not knowing. I have no idea how old you are but be proud that you’ve made it this far with your curiosity in tact. People who aren’t curious become judgmental, snarky datalounge posters.

Thank you for that. Truly.

To have vitriol of R42 / r44 ‘s type hurled at one so [italic]scaldingly,[/italic] and UNJUSTLY, is indeed such a shock.

It is as if they have never before beheld an innocent soul such as mine...and it somehow angers them. So very, very deeply.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 31, 2018 8:01 AM

Oh fuck you, you fragile, special flower who got his widdle feelings hurt. You’re lazy, you’re unwilling to open a book or do a web search, and worst of all you are tedious. Your tender ass has been scalded by vitriol? MARY!

You aren’t on Facebook, precious. You aren’t on some feel good website with supportive souls just waiting to indulge your lazy impulses and hang on your every word. This is the Datalounge where you can be broiled alive for merely saying hello. Speaking of broiled, would you please locate your nearest grease fire and dive right in headfirst?

by Anonymousreply 50October 31, 2018 10:26 AM

R8 Americans are stupid. Everyone knows this.

by Anonymousreply 51October 31, 2018 12:59 PM

Unjustly? If you're over 12, there is no 'justice'... this is basic school stuff. And you're sitting in front of a device that can answer such questions in a heart-beat. But this is COMMON KNOWLEDGE, and you should feel embarrassed for not knowing. Your education failed you.

If you're 12 or younger, then you have an excuse, but then again, you shouldn't be on this site.

by Anonymousreply 52October 31, 2018 2:13 PM

So bitter, so judgmental, r52. Maybe I DON’T understand all the mysteries of our vast world, but I’m at least not afraid to ask The Hard Questions. Even if you “diss” me so.

Because this is me - and I be.

It’s hard being exposed to such blistering “meanieness” on DataLounge. Really, it’s a wonder I haven’t abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical. Yet I cling to them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.

by Anonymousreply 53October 31, 2018 6:34 PM

[quote]Maybe I DON’T understand all the mysteries of our vast world

There's nothing mysterious about tides. Or the moon. Or their connection.

And neither is there anything mysterious about the operation of Google.

by Anonymousreply 54November 1, 2018 12:08 AM

The true mystery is why we’re giving this twat any more attention. She never wanted an answer, she just wanted to be noticed.

by Anonymousreply 55November 1, 2018 1:06 AM

You’ll probably benefit most by visiting your tidepools during the lowest low tide you can find. Nothing to see here during high tide. Move along.

by Anonymousreply 56November 1, 2018 1:18 AM

[wuote]R56 You’ll probably benefit most by visiting your tidepools during the lowest low tide you can find. Nothing to see here during high tide. Move along.

Right. Thank you. I just went a few times at high tide to get a sense of the area...like how much is otherwise submerged in water, etc. Just trying to get a true sense of the landscape.

Something that occurred to me is, all the little hermit crabs may be essentially homeless. I mean, when the tides crash in and are sucked out each day, I bet they’re displaced a lot. They don’t spend their lives in just one tidepool with the same group of inhabitants

: (

My sister later pointed out on the phone that the hermit crabs aren't “homeless,” as they have their homes on their backs. She’d consider them “migrant”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 1, 2018 4:21 AM

[quote]R54 And neither is there anything mysterious about the operation of Google.

Right. If we read it on the internet, it must be true.

Gotcha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 1, 2018 4:25 AM

(rolling eyes at R58).

That's a complete non-sequitur, you know, right? If you google the question about tides, as demonstrated above, you get a completely accurate answer as the top result. It isn't rocket science. It isn't mysterious. It isn't dangerous. It isn't out to get you.

Dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 59November 1, 2018 2:28 PM

I grew up in the Midwest, and if we spent 30 seconds discussing the tidal cycles in school I'm damned if I remember it. It just isn't something they teach in Iowa.

by Anonymousreply 60November 1, 2018 3:07 PM

For R59

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 2, 2018 4:33 AM

[quote]There are two high and two low tides every lunar day (24 hours and 50 minutes), so each high/low occurs 12 hours and 25 minutes from the last. Just look up a tide chart for your location.

Wait, how the fuck are there TWO OF EACH every day???

Some of you cunts are screaming so hard at the OP, yet you completely skipped over this misinformation, wtf!

by Anonymousreply 62November 2, 2018 8:41 AM

[quote]I grew up in the Midwest, and if we spent 30 seconds discussing the tidal cycles in school I'm damned if I remember it. It just isn't something they teach in Iowa.

Nor do they spend much time teaching it in here in central Canada, either. I've heard of high/low tides, of course, but they've never been on my mind before, so I might've had the same questions as OP.

How much difference does high or low tide make, in terms of swimming or other beach activities? Is high tide very dangerous?

by Anonymousreply 63November 2, 2018 8:44 AM

Seriously, R62? Did you EVER go to school? Did you EVER take a science class?

by Anonymousreply 64November 2, 2018 11:32 PM

Top view of earth[html removed]moon system showing tides. As the earth revolves, it moves through the bulges and troughs, the high tides and the low tides.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 2, 2018 11:36 PM

The diagram in R65 is misleading because the "Earth" should be shown from top down or bottom up... either the Arctic or the Antarctic.

Here's a better one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 2, 2018 11:38 PM

Just FYI, the earth in the picture at R66 is rotating counter-clockwise. The bulge in the oceans follows the moon as it rotates around.

by Anonymousreply 67November 3, 2018 3:28 AM

Can someone speak more as to why all the water isn’t pulled toward the moon if that’s the gravitational pull? Why does it bulge instead of flatten out on the OTHER side of the earth?

The r65 sketch says “tidal bulge due to inertia” (??)

Obvious LIES!

by Anonymousreply 68November 3, 2018 3:51 AM

[quote]R63 Is high tide very dangerous?

Not to my knowledge. It just means the water will be deeper along the coast as the surface rises, or the water travels further up onto the beach.

In fact, I would think swimming at low tide might be more “dangerous” as you might be closer to rocks and reefs and things that high tide would create more space above.

by Anonymousreply 69November 3, 2018 3:57 AM

R64, wtf is your problem?

Yes, I went to school, but A) it was 30 fucking years ago, B) I've lost memory function after years of anti-depressants (can barely remember anything, srsly), and C) I literally do not even know what you're screaming about. Do you understand how quotes work? And how math works, i.e. 12 hours per tide does NOT equal four tides per day?

by Anonymousreply 70November 3, 2018 8:28 AM

Btw, R64, you're still a fucking cunt. I hope a meteor crashes into your fat ass!

by Anonymousreply 71November 8, 2018 5:33 AM

R64 is so wrapped up in their ceaseless rage, they didn’t even notice I was appropriating Anne Frank’s most famous quote to reply to them.

A monster.....

by Anonymousreply 72November 8, 2018 5:39 AM

[quote]And how math works, i.e. 12 hours per tide does NOT equal four tides per day?

Who the fuck said anything about four tides a day?

There are two high tides, and two corresponding low tides. This has been explained a dozen times in this thread. There are pictures? What the fuck are you even talking about?

by Anonymousreply 73November 8, 2018 5:48 AM

You can lambast ME all you want, r73, But you will NOT mercilessly attack guests in my thread.

You have been warned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 8, 2018 6:14 AM

(Should have noted, ignore the bible, it’s the tee shirt that counts)

by Anonymousreply 75November 8, 2018 6:33 AM

Jesus Christ, you judgmental queens! One can be an intelligent and educated individual with wide experience of the world and yet not know everything. In fact, none of us knows everything especially you people who don't seem to know that fact. The real fools in this world are those who think they know all there is to know. I have the greatest respect for those who are comfortable, at any age, saying "hmmm, I don't understand something...let me go ask people who might know."

The ONLY thing for which one might validly criticize the OP is thinking that DL is a reasonable place to ask people for some information. I assume he knows better now.

by Anonymousreply 76November 8, 2018 6:50 AM

Isn't science interesting? Someone here should start a thread called "science things I never knew" and then everyone can ask their science questions and people who know about science can answer them. i bet we would learn some amazing things about the earth. I know I would read a thread like that And maybe there would be some things that I would know but no one else does. Every-one has a story to tell.

One of my favorite parts of the newspaper growingup was called Ripleys "Believe It Or Not?" Does anyone remember that one? It would have interesting facts about science and other things and little stories that would make you say I Can't Believe It!! My mother and I would read it together. She would read part of it aloud and then I would read the next part. There were not many words in it so it was a good thing for us to do together since I did not read so well at that time.

Then when my mother died I thought about Ripley's "Believe It Or Not?" everytime I thought of her. Those were some nice memories. Many years later I was on my honey moon in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and there was a museum. I couldn't believe it! I had never known it was a museum also, just something in the newspaper. I told my husband we HAVE to go there.

But when we went it was a little different than I thought it would be. It wasn't like going to a real museum, it was more ticky-tacky and I was a little disapointed. I guess I was expecting something nicer. I actually started crying thinking that my mother would not like it either even though it had been many years since she passed. My husband said "I'm sorry to make you cry on your honey moon." It was supposed to be a happy time. But I didn't blame him because it was my idea to go there. I never thought of Ripley's Believe It Or Not in the same way after that. It still makes me a little sad.

Someone should start a thread called "science things I never knew."

by Anonymousreply 77November 8, 2018 7:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!