Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nicole Kidman Reveals She Married Tom Cruise For ‘Protection’ From Sexual Harassment

"Being married to Tom Cruise at 22 is something I’m always reluctant to talk about, because I'm married now to the man who is my great love [Keith Urban], and it almost feels disrespectful," she explained.

"That said, I got married very young, but it definitely wasn't power for me — it was protection," Kidman continued. "I married for love, but being married to an extremely powerful man kept me from being sexually harassed. I would work, but I was still very much cocooned."

The couple eventually filed for divorce in 2001, with Kidman noting that "when I came out of it at 32, 33, it's almost like I had to grow up."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 23, 2018 7:19 PM

[quote]I married for love, but being married to an extremely powerful man kept me from being sexually harassed

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2018 1:33 PM

I believe her.

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2018 1:58 PM

I'm sure that was one reason!

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2018 2:21 PM

One wonders from whence came the power?

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2018 2:31 PM

God knows Tammy wasn't laying a hand on her!

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2018 2:35 PM

I’ve always assumed this about her. Wouldn’t be surprised if other actresses do the same.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2018 2:51 PM

I wonder how he feels about this divorce now. Apparently the Co$ wasn't happy with her performance and forced him to divorce her. She is still beautiful, happily married with two kids and an amazing carreer....and his life is a big fucking freak show. Divorced, no contact to his child, his daughter didn't even invite him to her wedding and he is still the brainwashed puppet of a freakish cult. Still no Oscar or even a nomination in recent years, no wife or girlfriend and a tanking career. Plus the whole world thinks he is a brainwashed weirdo.

I really think Kidman was the love of his life and it must hurt like hell that he followed Miscavige's orders and actually divorced her.

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2018 2:57 PM

Being married (especially to a wealthy and powerful man) offers that kind of protection.

Sad to say, some men will not mess with another man’s “property”. (Some don’t give a shit, and will take pleasure in trying to cuckold another man.)

Being a woman without a man can be scary. My unattached sister recently bought a house, and one of the workmen cornered her and tried to kiss her. She told the realtor who recommended him and it turns out he did something similar to another client. (Bitch, stop recommending this predator!!) I urged her to get together with this woman and file police reports but they said that they’re afraid he’ll come back because he knows they live alone. My sister got her ex (who’s a police detective) to have a little “chat” with him, and she’s reasonably sure he won’t mess with her again, but what about the other women?

And it’s not even a guarantee, because husbands can be abusive, too.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2018 3:56 PM

I think that was a side benefit from the sham marriage. Remember, he divorced her right before the 10 year mark - which presumably was some payout of some kind in their marriage contract. Just like Katie Holmes at the 5 year mark running for her life.

It's very convenient for her to say this now. Not saying there isn't a truth to it, but it was only a side benefit. It is NOT the real reason - she married for press and to become a star and to cover up his batshit ways - not for protection.

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2018 4:00 PM

Weird

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2018 4:03 PM

"I really think Kidman was the love of his life and it must hurt like hell that he followed Miscavige's orders and actually divorced her. "

I doubt that Cruise is capable of normal human emotions like love at this point in his life, but that doesn't mean he doesn't regret the divorce. Kidman was the perfect power-couple wife, she always looked stunning, avoided scandal, has a solid and prestigious career and she brought him a bit of artistic credibility by association. And she never humiliated him in public the way the next wife did! Beards who dutifully hold up their end of the bargain aren't that easy to find, he was on to a good thing there, and he was stupid to give it up over money.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2018 4:06 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2018 4:26 PM

R11, I agree, up until the point of the Ewan McGregor thing. Before that, she did a beautiful job.

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2018 4:37 PM

It does work to an extent, even in the regular world younger women who are married do have a bit of protection from the office lech, as he realises a virile young husband could waltz in and deck him for poor behaviour. I think fellow Aussie Margot Robbie married her boyfriend, earlier than she perhaps otherwise would have, partly for this reason.

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2018 5:51 PM

[Quote] I think fellow Aussie Margot Robbie married her boyfriend, earlier than she perhaps otherwise would have, partly for this reason.

Is her bf a bigwig though?

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2018 5:58 PM

Kidman's face is really freaking me out. She's going to look like Madonna in a year or two.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2018 6:05 PM

The article and this thread mis-represent what she said. The topic of the conversation was "power" for a "Women and Power" series in NY Mag. In talking about powerful decision she has made in her life, she says specifically that she married Tom for love (and not for power), but that as a side effect, being married to a powerful man kept her from being sexually harassed.

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2018 6:07 PM

BULLSHIT! She married him for the same reason the last one did. For the contract payout.

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2018 6:08 PM

[Quote] Kidman's face is really freaking me out. She's going to look like Madonna in a year or two.

She didn't look so good in the Aquaman trailer.

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2018 6:11 PM

Would she really have gone on to have a hugely successful career if she hadn't been married to him?

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2018 6:13 PM

Marrying a wealthy powerful gay man makes sense if you don't want to be sexually harassed.

Getting an Oscar for providing the beard didn't hurt either.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2018 6:14 PM

[Quote] Would she really have gone on to have a hugely successful career if she hadn't been married to him?

Impossible to know unless you have a DeLorean.

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2018 6:15 PM

Hi, Mom! Remember us?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2018 6:16 PM

That is NOT what she said in the interview.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2018 6:19 PM

I highly doubt she married him for protection. She was a very young and fairly unknown  Aussie actress without much Hollywood experience. Cruise was already a huge star and dating and finally marrying him was probably like winning a jackpot. Being married to Cruise undoubtedly had its benefits but I doubt that "protecting" was a consideration at the time. Power, influence, money, fame, movie roles or even love were probably the reasons she married him.

This interview is just bullshit. She should really talk about her time and experience in the Co$ and what happened to her two children with Cruise and her relationship with them after the divorce. Good for her that she was never sexually assaulted though. Many others did not have the same luck.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2018 6:19 PM

[R15] Margot's husband isn't powerful but as pointed out by another posted above, some sleazy blokes will refrain from harassing a married woman - probably due to a 'she's some other guy's property' mindset.

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2018 6:20 PM

[R25] She provided him with a beard. The was the primary benefit for TC. She got ten tears of good roles and an Oscar.

The "protection" was a fringe benefit that she can throw out there in these interviews.

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2018 6:22 PM

Damn, maybe the guys who were harassed by Spacey should gave married Tom.....

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2018 6:23 PM

Does anyone know if Nicole has any relationship with her older kids (Cruise's), i.e., the adopted ones at this point? Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2018 6:26 PM

[Quote] some sleazy blokes will refrain from harassing a married woman - probably due to a 'she's some other guy's property' mindset.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2018 6:26 PM

"I highly doubt she married him for protection. She was a very young and fairly unknown Aussie actress without much Hollywood experience. "

Marrying Cruise allowed her to leapfrog up the ladder, and avoid all the nastiness a rising actress might have to put up with on the way up. So yes, obviously she married him for ambition and money, but if she could get what she wanted without having to fuck Harvey Weinstein and Michael Bay, that would have been a great addition to the deal she made with Cruise.

So I do believe that avoiding sexual harassment was *one* of the many reasons she married the little troll, just not one of the primary ones.

by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2018 3:13 AM

I believe her.

by Anonymousreply 32October 17, 2018 3:17 AM

She is starting to look like Lady Gaga. Yuck. NK was always a beauty. She doesn't need much to stay gorgeous but a little goes a long way with her.

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2018 3:22 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 22, 2018 7:40 PM

Why she can't just shut up? she uses Tammy's name when she's in need of Awards and promotion

by Anonymousreply 35October 22, 2018 7:40 PM

R31 but if she could get what she wanted without having to fuck Harvey Weinstein and Michael Bay

but she has worked with Harvey on many films so she probably fucked Harvey

by Anonymousreply 36October 22, 2018 7:41 PM

R22 Would she really have gone on to have a hugely successful career if she hadn't been married to him?

No Never!

by Anonymousreply 37October 22, 2018 7:45 PM

R1 I married for love, but being married to an extremely powerful man kept me from being sexually harassed

married for love? we know she' a lezzie why she's still lying?

by Anonymousreply 38October 22, 2018 7:50 PM

She’s trying to put it out there - without actually saying it - that she never fucked Harvey.

by Anonymousreply 39October 22, 2018 7:52 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 22, 2018 7:54 PM

Jesus R39, that's as creepy af in so many ways. I'm sure she could have married any number of actors straight or gay at that time and received some protection from the likes of Skeevy Weinstein, but choosing TC (and therefore the cult that can't be named) shows it was predominantly a career move.

I don't blame her at all, she was ambitious but young and naive.

by Anonymousreply 41October 22, 2018 8:13 PM

R39, I think that's in the having to "grow up fast" after her divorce. There's also that story about Harvey bragging that he could make a film star appear with a phone call (on a yacht, I think) and the star who appeared at his back-and-call was Kidman.

I remember, too, years ago reading something about Cruise using his clout to guarantee a couple of good roles for Kidman--"To Die For" was one.

But Kidman actually had her biggest success after the divorce--Moulin Rouge and The Hours were both post-divorce.

by Anonymousreply 42October 22, 2018 8:14 PM

Sorry R40 not R39.

by Anonymousreply 43October 22, 2018 8:14 PM

Having read a bit about her father, I'd be very surprised if she was unfamiliar with the sexual assault prior to moving to LA.

by Anonymousreply 44October 22, 2018 9:12 PM

You have to remember that back in 1989 Tom Cruise was the biggest movie star in the world, the fact that he was a crazy little weirdo with a mean streak was as yet unknown to the general public. This was the Top Gun-era Tom Cruise who was the young, hot golden boy everybody liked and wanted to fuck. Kidman's hooking up with him enabled her to become instantly famous and leapfrog over other actresses for good roles. It was a very smart move.

by Anonymousreply 45October 22, 2018 10:40 PM

[quote]I'm sure she could have married any number of actors straight or gay at that time and received some protection from the likes of Skeevy Weinstein,

I don’t think so - in fact, cuckholding the wife of some actor could prove to be an enticing challenge to some, but Cruise?

No. You don’t fuck with THE money train in any way, shape, or form.

by Anonymousreply 46October 22, 2018 10:55 PM

Sorry ^^ cuckholding some actor by fucking his wife...

by Anonymousreply 47October 22, 2018 10:57 PM

That's probably true R46, but she could probably have bagged a famous (at least for a while) actor who wasn't in a cult/closet and enjoyed the same protection.

by Anonymousreply 48October 22, 2018 11:07 PM

But r48 they weren't gay and didn't need a beard. Mel Gibson, Kevin Costner, etc.

by Anonymousreply 49October 22, 2018 11:11 PM

That's the first time anyone ever claimed that tiny little shrimp protected them from anything.

by Anonymousreply 50October 23, 2018 2:54 AM

R49 maybe Johnny Depp? I think Depp is gay

by Anonymousreply 51November 23, 2018 6:40 PM

R50, LOL!!!

by Anonymousreply 52November 23, 2018 7:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!