Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Food in Europe others find disgusting

Currywurst, this German staple is hated by most outside of Germany but many Americans love it.

by Anonymousreply 61October 30, 2019 5:30 PM

Fromage de pipi.

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2018 2:23 PM

I know for a fact Americans don't like most Norwegian food. Too much fish and lamb. Not enough beef.

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2018 2:24 PM

^ no idea how that ended up here. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2018 2:24 PM

Cibreo qualifies, it is the wattle of the rooster.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2018 2:26 PM

Berberechos...barnacles!

Snails & frog legs

Haggis

Lutefisk

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2018 3:12 PM

I love barnacles and snails and frogs legs but I live in the EU

However the only place I have tried Lutefisk was in the US in Minnesota. Vomit.

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2018 3:15 PM

A very “ripe” Sardinian cheese with live (!!!) worms. (Sardinia’s in Europe, isn’t it?)

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2018 3:47 PM

Dutch raw herring & licorice & 'frikadellen'

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2018 4:35 PM

black and white pudding

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2018 4:47 PM

Saw it on a travel show awhile back...

Some Icelandic dish involving a dead shark that gets buried for like a week, dug up & then eaten.

I nearly hurled.

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2018 4:56 PM

Other than Italian and French, I don’t think most Americans like any European foods. German and Scandinavian are particularly unappealing. Same with Eastern European. Spanish maybe ok. English/Irish maybe ok - but they are really not a cuisine - more like basic food products.

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2018 5:57 PM

I love Irish breakfast, R11.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2018 6:01 PM

Tripe.

[quote]In its simplest form, tripe is the lining from the stomach (or stomachs) of a domesticated animal. Most often the first three stomachs of a cow or an ox are used. When the first of the bovine’s stomach is used, it is called blanket tripe (due to its appearance); when the second—and usually most coveted—is prepared, it is known as honeycomb tripe; and when it is the third stomach, it is called bible or book tripe. The last stomach of a cow or ox is rarely used because of its glandular texture. Tripe dishes are also sometimes made with a pig, sheep, goat, or even deer stomach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2018 6:03 PM

Americans dislike German food? Try my schnitzel, if you can afford the $65.

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2018 6:05 PM

Mets. Andouillettes I just can't. I need HUGE quantities of wine. Boudin, ca depends. Rognons - yes please. Organ meats. Listen my German American grandmother had a taste for several of these dishes and it's really a grown up taste, isn't it? Most younger Americans are quite divorced from this gutteral taste palate. I don't like straight up liver but in a paté, yes. Often my true pleasure is dependent of a good wine to counterbalance how base the whole affaire becomes.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2018 6:10 PM

Irish breakfast = doubling your risk of cancer and heart attack.

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2018 6:11 PM

Lutefisk is luxury compared with surströmming. I don't think the guy in the video liked it much and he didn't even try any

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2018 6:22 PM

[quote] 'frikadellen'

WTF? They are grinded beef (or grinded beef mixed with grinded pork). No different than burger patties or meatballs.

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2018 6:22 PM

Clip in R17 starts at 11:00mins in. DL cut the timestamp off.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2018 6:23 PM

Currywurst is a hot dog sausage cut into pieces covered in curry flavored tomato ketchup. Delicious with French fries on the side. It's a very common street vendor food you get at town fairs and sports events. This is the firsttime I read that it's highly unpopular outside Germany (and America).

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2018 6:29 PM

I'm not Deutsch but I fucking love currywurst and look forward to it everytime I visit Germany. It's cheap and delicious - perfect combo. But yeah, most people outside of Germany don't care for it. My friend's mom owns a pub and since she grew up in Germany she added currywurst, her childhood fave, to the menu. People didn't care for it so she soon removed it from the menu again.

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2018 7:08 PM

"grinded beef (or grinded beef mixed with grinded pork)"

Oh, dear! x3!

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2018 7:13 PM

Most Europeans find German and Scandinavian food disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2018 7:20 PM

Fermented fish

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2018 7:35 PM

Haggis. Blech.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2018 7:38 PM

i'm italian and i like currywurst. it's not worse than a street cart hotdog.

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2018 7:38 PM

R12 - where's the blood sausage?

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2018 7:44 PM

Fagottini

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2018 4:49 PM

R28 those are a favorite of mine

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2018 4:53 PM

When I was in Iceland I ate some kind of native bird that is a delicacy of some sort. It was disgusting. I think I made the owner and the chef feel bad when I ate only a small amount of it.

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2018 4:58 PM

my sister went to Iceland and bought me two very popular local snacks: fermented shark, and some kind of fritters deep fried in reindeer's fat. those people are crazy up there.

by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2018 7:05 PM

Let's bump this shit!

I am German btw.

by Anonymousreply 32October 17, 2018 4:21 PM

snails

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2018 4:23 PM

I am going to get roasted by the Italians for this, but I cannot stand Vin Santo. It’s like drinking raisins.

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2018 4:24 PM

Orangevagina soda.

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2018 4:33 PM

Welcome to Italy, home of bizarre cuisine!

Lampredotta, similar to tripe.

Crudo, which is salted raw ham.

Cheese is always served to be eaten with marmalade.

Gorgonzola gelato, tasted like sweet frozen vomit.

Typical bread in Tuscany, which contains no salt, tastes like cotton.

Merengue, which has the texture of styrofoam and is tasteless.

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2018 4:57 PM

R36 Yeah, the bread in Tuscany sucks. Locals told me it’s flavorless because it’s intended to soak up sauces and drippings, but that didn’t improve it much in my experience.

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2018 4:58 PM

tuscan bread (called locally "sciocco", dumb) is saltless because it's meant to be eaten with the wonderful tuscan cold cuts, salame e prosciutto, that are of course salty and often spicy. I agree that by itself salt less bread is terrible. Oh, r36: cheese with preserves and jams is not just an italian thing, they do it in France and Spain too. Also with honey. And the combination is wonderful, you're missing out if you don't like it. Prosciutto crudo is not "raw", it's seasoned for a long time and sometimes smoked, and it's wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2018 6:30 PM

Only a dumb American could poo poo Prosciutto.

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2018 11:55 PM

When I was in Paris, I tried a sausage, andouillette (sp), that was disgusting. I really didn't know what it was.. but, it smelled like poop, tasted worse..terrible. I couldn't get past two bites, and didn't finish it.

by Anonymousreply 40October 18, 2018 12:12 AM

Eton mess.

Weird Styrofoam and cream and strawberries. Dry cake - at least the one I had.

by Anonymousreply 41October 18, 2018 12:19 AM

Do go on, R38. Tell us how wonderful lampredotto is...

by Anonymousreply 42October 18, 2018 5:19 AM

I like all the weird foods - organ meats, pickled fish, low tide stuff, but I cannot stand canned beans for breakfast - I like the rest of a full English breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 43October 18, 2018 5:37 AM

[quote]Only a dumb American could poo poo Prosciutto.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 44October 18, 2018 5:52 AM

R10 - Icelandic shark, which is actually cured in sheds not buried the ground, isn't that disgusting, just unpleasant, lots of hype.

Andouillette - French tripe sausage - on the other hand was the nastiest thing I've ever put in my mouth. First bite was "What's so bad?" Second was "Something isn't quite right here." Third bite spat out screaming "I never want this stuff anywhere near me again!"

Currywurst I can take or leave. I tried duck blood soup in Sweden, but didn't get past the first spoonful.

by Anonymousreply 45October 18, 2018 5:58 AM

I think I'm weird, because as a Norwegian I don't like Norwegian food. Most of it is gross. Like my parents grew up with whale meat. They eat food that makes me want to puke.

by Anonymousreply 46October 18, 2018 6:22 AM

R38 Crudo is never smoked. It is raw as it is cured, not cooked.

by Anonymousreply 47October 18, 2018 8:33 AM

Andouillette..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 18, 2018 11:27 AM

Crudo is Parma Ham or prosciutto. Although with some prosciutto they use some chemicals like nitrate to preserve the ham. With Parma Ham it's just sea salt and fresh air to dry out the ham.

Pamesano Reggiano is produced in the same region. The pigs they use for the Parma Ham are fed with the leftover 'water' from the cheese production.

by Anonymousreply 49October 18, 2018 1:03 PM

I was in Oviedo Spain for a fiesta day one year and everyplace was closed and the only food you could buy at the fiesta was Blood Sausage baked in bread, with the oozy juices coming out each end. I don't eat meat so I basically fasted the whole day.

Vegemite/marmite are both gross. Beans on toast is just nasty. I sat in a beer garten in Vienna and watched the happy families order roasted swein and potatoes and bread to chow down, ugh, looked like a heart attack on a platter. Carpaccio is repulsive as well.

by Anonymousreply 50October 18, 2018 1:56 PM

R50

I know you don’t eat meat - but roast pork, potatoes and bread is hardly unusual or limited to Vienna.

by Anonymousreply 51October 18, 2018 2:13 PM

lampredotto is very good, but i like tripes. In rome they stew it with tomato sauce, it's fantastic in winter.

by Anonymousreply 52October 18, 2018 3:11 PM

I was in Denmark for 3 weeks and the food was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 53October 18, 2018 3:47 PM

Vegemite is Australian not European.

by Anonymousreply 54October 18, 2018 3:48 PM

[quote]Pamesano Reggiano

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 55October 18, 2018 4:15 PM

R54

I get that, but as an American Vegemite and Marmite are more or less the same thing. I actually like them, so am puzzled when video show natives insisting on a tiny thin layer only.

by Anonymousreply 56October 18, 2018 5:14 PM

[quote]Pamesano Reggiano

Oh caro.

by Anonymousreply 57October 18, 2018 5:54 PM

Hazelnuts are what's wrong with Europe.

by Anonymousreply 58October 25, 2018 4:47 PM

Foods that are on the verge of rotting are delicacies the world over. I think the French have a saying for that. They always do.

by Anonymousreply 59October 25, 2018 4:54 PM

just back from lisbon: food is super tasty but so absurdly rich i fear for the middle americans tourists. I'm italian and i was almost killed by the tons of garlic, oil and deep fried stuff. Stay safe, people from Ohio! Bring your own food!

by Anonymousreply 60October 30, 2018 5:17 PM

Swedish food is gross.

by Anonymousreply 61October 30, 2019 5:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!