Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

CHARMED (2018)

I was expecting much I genuinely liked it.

I think it has potential.

It is getting torn apart on the internet for the lesbian, latina, mixed race, faminist angle but I loved it anyway and am glad it pissed off the deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 115December 5, 2021 4:49 AM

[Quote] It is getting torn apart on the internet for the lesbian, latina, mixed race, faminist angle

I guess none of them watched the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2018 4:13 PM

Watching it now. I'm enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2018 10:59 PM

I was really surprised I enjoyed it. I put it on to hate watch, thought I'd make it 5 minutes, due to the heavy handed flavor of SJW. I was a fan of the original.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2018 4:15 AM

Haven't seen anything about it. What's the lesbian part?

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2018 4:24 AM

One of the sisters is a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2018 4:41 AM

Haven't seen it. I did see a snippet of the commercial though. I didn't see the point in using the same house since it's also set in a different city. Do they use the same interior as well?

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2018 4:46 AM

What's with the Colonial Savior Whitelighter, coming to lead the Latinas to culture and society?

I have only seen the previews, but hopefully they fix all of the "and let's put this in, even if it doesn't make sense!" issues with the original series. (This spell that will solve everything only works ONCE and then we will NEVER MENTION IT AGAIN! People do this until they can't, now they do this other thing because of this new reason/writer!)

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2018 5:00 AM

Unattractive leads, no chemistry among them, and a sledge hammer PC theme.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2018 5:15 AM

[quote]I have only seen the previews, but hopefully they fix all of the "and let's put this in, even if it doesn't make sense!" issues with the original series. (This spell that will solve everything only works ONCE and then we will NEVER MENTION IT AGAIN! People do this until they can't, now they do this other thing because of this new reason/writer!)

The majority of those issues occurred starting Season 4, no? I'm always reminded of how the writers hated Shannen for getting involved (she would make them re-write constantly because nothing they wrote ever made sense. After she left and the stories were all over the place, several of the writers looked back and admitted that Shannen knew what she was talking about.

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2018 5:30 AM

Everyone I know who watched it thought it was terrible. I haven't checked it out, not sure I will.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2018 2:08 AM

r9 glad I bailed after Shannen left the show. It just wasn't the same without her, plus I hated how angles could pop up and even marry one of the sisters, and grams would hangout in the attic, BUT Pru couldn't muster the energy to get her ass down there to see her sisters? Come the fuck on, even their slutty mother's ghost got to hangout.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2018 2:17 AM

i liked the original show a lot. you know, before Rose went sexually insane and became a faux warrior with a faux army.

it was a good escape show.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2018 2:31 AM

I'm really liking this show.

Doesn't take itself too seriosuly and they actually make demons look like demons, not guys in leather like the old show.

by Anonymousreply 13November 5, 2018 10:28 AM

Just watched the 3rd episode. It's not too bad but some of the tumblr speak makes me cringe. And in the last ep, some of the sister's decisions were a little too stupid. Niko is pretty cute though.

by Anonymousreply 14November 5, 2018 1:39 PM

So both Brian Krause and Julian McMahon are open to appearing on the reboot. I also love how Shannen wants the audience to give this show a chance, i'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that she owns 10% of the original.

by Anonymousreply 15November 8, 2018 12:41 PM

I don't think Shannen gets anymore money from the show since Spelling TV folded after the old man's death.

by Anonymousreply 16November 8, 2018 12:43 PM

Had to come down from the whole midterm election drama and checked out the first episode and I have to agree with r1. It's better than I expected (to be honest I expected it to suck).

by Anonymousreply 17November 8, 2018 12:45 PM

My apologies. I meant I agree with OP (not r1).

by Anonymousreply 18November 8, 2018 12:46 PM

Have the girls all lezzed out yet? The power of Three (vaginas scissoring) is the most cromulent force of all!

by Anonymousreply 19November 8, 2018 12:52 PM

The original series really did go to shit after SD left.

I’d never heard she insisted on rewrites for the sake of coherence.

by Anonymousreply 20November 8, 2018 12:52 PM

R19 Just the one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 8, 2018 12:58 PM

Yeah, the SJW one is lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 22November 8, 2018 12:59 PM

You just know there will be an episode where they all turn trans.

by Anonymousreply 23November 8, 2018 1:02 PM

Craig Parker (Lord of the Rings, Spartacus, Legend of the Seeker, Reign) joins the show in the fourth episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 8, 2018 9:01 PM

R16 she does. She gets a cut of any merchandise or reboot having to do with the show.

And R20, yes, not too many people knew about that until writers basically spilled it to EW when they were frustrated about the direction the show eventually went. She didn't just insist on rewrites she was telling them what to write and how to do their jobs. Again, they hated it at the time and thought she was a major bitch for it but then realized after the fact that what she was doing had value.

by Anonymousreply 25November 8, 2018 11:54 PM

R24 Should've known he was a kiwi lol

R25 You don't know what you got till it's gone.

by Anonymousreply 26November 9, 2018 2:53 PM

After that first season with McGowan (4? 5??) it just becomes silly and shitty. They all became gross charicatures. Piper, a stark raving bitch. Phoebe, crazy slut. Paige, mildly retarded ditz. Leo, hen-pecked husband.

It really became unwatchable. If Doherty really did contribute to the early writing/storylines than I tip my hat to her. She, at least, knew quality.

Is it me, or in the final season is Paige sporting a moustache?

by Anonymousreply 27November 9, 2018 5:39 PM

[Quote] Phoebe, crazy slut.

How so???

by Anonymousreply 28November 10, 2018 2:51 PM

How dare you, r27!

by Anonymousreply 29November 10, 2018 3:42 PM

The last season was godawful, with "Billie" and her sister. God I hated the actress who played Billie. And she and her sister are somehow as powerful as the three Charmed ones. It made no sense.

by Anonymousreply 30November 10, 2018 3:43 PM

With the original series I tuned out when they ripped off Harry Potter and found a door leading to their idea of Hogwarts.

by Anonymousreply 31November 10, 2018 3:45 PM

Soon to be cancelled

by Anonymousreply 32November 10, 2018 3:47 PM

The Billie storyline was awful, the chick from 8 Simple Rules was okay but the walking mannequin they got to play the sister she was trying to save was just beyond bad.

by Anonymousreply 33November 10, 2018 3:51 PM

Eh, Magic School isn't an original idea to Potter, either (ref: Worst Witch, among others). The thing I hated was that the Charmed ones wouldn't have heard of it long before it suddenly appeared. A lot of the plotlines were like that as the seasons progressed. Things would be dropped in that should have been hinted at way earlier. It was a sign of bad writing and a big lack of forethought as to the world building of the series.

I haven't seen the new series yet but I hoped they would fix these issues since they had the original series to draw from and fix the problems like that.

by Anonymousreply 34November 10, 2018 3:52 PM

[Quote] The last season was godawful, with "Billie" and her sister. God I hated the actress who played Billie.

The hatred for Billie cracks me up. I did find her annoying towards the end but they added her because they were planning a spinoff. It's a good thing it didn't take off or Kaley would've missed out on TBBT.

[Quote] I haven't seen the new series yet but I hoped they would fix these issues since they had the original series to draw from and fix the problems like that.

There is no magic school. We've only just been introduced to the Elders.

[Quote] Soon to be cancelled

I don't know.....this is the CW after all.

by Anonymousreply 35November 10, 2018 3:58 PM

Billie was so stupid and self-righteous. The sisters should have imprisoned her in a glass jar and buried her in the backyard. No one ever does the practical solutions to problems in these shows.

by Anonymousreply 36November 10, 2018 6:21 PM

It seems pretty clear that Doherty did have a hand in the stories since the show literally fell to shit after she left. Sure they managed to film more seasons without her, but the quality was awful after she left (and that's saying something).

It's funny to me that now Doherty and Milano are friends (or friendly) and they both apparently hate Holly.

Also, Doherty apparently lost her house in the Malibu fire.

by Anonymousreply 37November 10, 2018 7:43 PM

I just watched the first two seasons of the original. Why did they have to kill off the hot boyfriend in season one? Also, Piper is disgusting to me. How does she get Dan? I think Prue is the most appealing of them all. And definitely the least annoying.

by Anonymousreply 38November 10, 2018 8:34 PM

Soon to be canceled? It just got picked up for a full season.

by Anonymousreply 39November 10, 2018 10:50 PM

I like the new version. It grew on me quite fast. Love Rupert Evans as this quirky, trying to be cool, teacher / mentor to the girls.

by Anonymousreply 40November 11, 2018 7:28 AM

Interview with Rupert Evans

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 11, 2018 8:00 AM

[Quote] Billie was so stupid and self-righteous. The sisters should have imprisoned her in a glass jar and buried her in the backyard.

Or alternatively, the phantom zone.

[Quote] Why did they have to kill off the hot boyfriend in season one?

Are you talking about Andy?? The actor wanted to leave the show. I hope that doesn't happen with Niko.

by Anonymousreply 42November 11, 2018 2:47 PM

Didn't the cop boyfriend's cop sidekick also die in the first few episodes in the original season?

by Anonymousreply 43November 11, 2018 3:54 PM

Sorry, I meant original series.

by Anonymousreply 44November 11, 2018 3:55 PM

[Quote] Didn't the cop boyfriend's cop sidekick also die in the first few episodes in the original season?

Darryl?? He stayed on till the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 11, 2018 4:19 PM

Was Darryl around from the start? I thought he came later to the show.

by Anonymousreply 46November 11, 2018 4:22 PM

R46 I'm pretty sure he was there from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 47November 11, 2018 5:01 PM

Daryl was there from the start.

by Anonymousreply 48November 11, 2018 9:44 PM

They never showed Daryl shirtless enough. IIRC he had a hot body.

by Anonymousreply 49November 11, 2018 9:56 PM

[quote]IIRC he had a hot body.

Indeed, he did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 11, 2018 10:03 PM

They need to show off individual powers more. They literally have “Piper” freeze once per episode and that is it. The original is waaaaay better than this SJW crap.

by Anonymousreply 51November 11, 2018 10:08 PM

So is Macy's crush under a demon's love spell or what?

by Anonymousreply 52November 12, 2018 8:07 AM

[Quote] The original is waaaaay better than this SJW crap.

Lets see how it is by the end of the season.

by Anonymousreply 53November 12, 2018 2:23 PM

Most shows need to find their footing in the first half of their first season. The showrunners and writers find out what works and what doesn't and what the viewers respond to most and which character has become a fan favorite.

I am thankful to those TV stations who give shows a chance beyond the first three or five episodes (like ABC dropping shows that don't become immediate hits).

by Anonymousreply 54November 18, 2018 9:02 AM

The actress playing the lesbian really irritates me. She's not cute or talented. The older sister and the younger one are decent. I love Harry.

by Anonymousreply 55November 18, 2018 9:11 AM

Last episode wasn't great. We barely know Niko and Mel as a couple, so why am i supposed to care bout their breakup?? The plots are moving too fast. It was nice to see Meagan though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 18, 2018 1:58 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 21, 2019 1:51 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 4, 2019 2:46 PM

This show has become my main TV comfort food. Even Parker's acting has improved to the extent that I'm starting to like him.

In other news, Harry went all fabulous last night because of the pixie dust and it was quite something to see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59March 4, 2019 3:17 PM

Hipster Harry just might be the sexiest Harry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60March 4, 2019 3:18 PM

Yes R60

by Anonymousreply 61March 5, 2019 6:45 PM

Is Harry bi?

by Anonymousreply 62March 11, 2019 4:35 PM

R62 i doubt it. A lot of fans seem to be rooting for him to get with Macy.

by Anonymousreply 63March 11, 2019 4:42 PM

Thanks r63

by Anonymousreply 64March 11, 2019 4:56 PM

I thought for sure Harry would be gay when the show first started. For such a woke show, it is truly bizarre that it would feature zero gay guys. Same as the new Sabrina.

It would work better with his character as well. I mean, a straight guy who teaches Women's Studies? I'm sure it happens in real life but...

by Anonymousreply 65March 11, 2019 5:13 PM

R65 your surprised that a show like Charmed wouldn't have lesbian characters instead? And Sabrina has Ambrose.

by Anonymousreply 66March 12, 2019 2:50 AM

r66 I never said I was surprised about the inclusion of lesbian characters, I'm surprised at the non-inclusion of gay male ones. This isn't an either/or type of situation; we're not interchangeable except in the eyes of very straight Holywood execs. Why not feature both when the show is already this diverse and inclusive?

And Ambrose is pansexual, as is his current partner. The only gay guy on that show was brutally possessed and then equally brutally murdered. Oh, and the other possible gay guy is a bully who was shamelessly outed in a coffee shop because we all know that's hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 67March 12, 2019 3:11 AM

R67 because CW usually focuses on one or the other. And even then, the writing isn't usually great.

by Anonymousreply 68March 12, 2019 5:25 AM

Watching Harry on the pixie dust was hilarious. Then they took it another step further with Maggie's vagina blast. This show turned out to be a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 69March 13, 2019 4:09 PM

I love this show for the first episode and its dig at Trump.

I do agree their SJW pandering is a bit much, but I suspect they do that because they know their audience.

I loved the fat necromancer, Knancy :D!

by Anonymousreply 70March 13, 2019 4:32 PM

I adored the necromancer and wished she had stuck around for at least a couple more episodes.

by Anonymousreply 71March 13, 2019 4:36 PM

I love Macy 😄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 13, 2019 4:55 PM

I am surprised how much I like it.

by Anonymousreply 73March 26, 2019 5:20 PM

r73 Me too! I've been enjoying it from the start but these last few episodes have been genuinely gripping. In other news, it has changed showrunners and will go in a new creative direction next season.

[quote]Showrunner Carter Covington has exited the Latino-themed reboot of the original series from Jane the Virgin duo Jessica O'Toole and Amy Rardin. Instead, married duo Liz Kruger and Craig Shapiro (Necessary Roughness, Salvation) have boarded the drama and will take over as showrunners for season two as the CBS TV Studios-produced series changes its creative direction.

[quote]Sources say the change comes as Charmed is expected to lean harder into its supernatural storylines and less into the family dynamic that made Covington a fit. The split, sources say, was amicable.

I don't know what to say about that. I love the family stuff, which the actresses sold me on 100%. Every episode has been stuffed with supernatural so how can they possibly lean into that aspect even harder? Perhaps it's less dramatic than it sounds and just means that now their mom's murder has been solved, they're going to deal with non-family matters more. The "amicable split" part makes me think that is exactly the case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 26, 2019 5:52 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 75April 1, 2019 7:22 AM

This show has so much SJWsplaining I can’t enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 76April 1, 2019 7:35 AM

I prefer the original Charmed. This new series has a very, very low rating. I don't usually watch shows that have an IMDb rating below 7.

by Anonymousreply 77April 1, 2019 7:39 AM

That rating is the result of an organised campaign by the (racist) fans of the original and the MRAs [italic]and[/italic] the alt-right buffoons even before the show premiered. It's ridiculous to watch shows based on their IMDb ratings anyway, knowing how the votes are cast.

I prefer this to the original, which is too slow by today's standards. I did like the first few seasons but then it became incomprehensible later on.

by Anonymousreply 78April 1, 2019 10:35 AM

I don't give a fuck about IMDB ratings. The only use I have for IMDB now is checking out actors I see on TV shows and where else I might have seen them / know them from.

Charmed is comfort entertainment. It's as nonthreatening as the original. To me it's a perfect show to watch while eating snacks.

I wonder though what is all this drama of Harry supposedly leaving and then not leaving? It happened now twice. And the show is still in its first season.

by Anonymousreply 79April 6, 2019 12:54 PM

I like Harry but I also want him to leave so they can get a new fabulous gay white lighter in his place. Which is what I originally thought would happen with Harry, but they went down that weird Charity route instead.

I also find the show very comforting and I'm going to miss it when the season wraps up. It should get even better going forward now that the writers see what's working and what isn't.

by Anonymousreply 80April 6, 2019 1:55 PM

I'm enjoying it but like most CW shows, they're rushing through too many plots. Like what was the point of making Macy a virgin, if she's just going to give it up so quickly??

And why did Fiona reveal herself so soon? Harry and Charity barely reacted to her being alive.

Also the fight scenes are pretty awkward to watch.

by Anonymousreply 81April 6, 2019 4:18 PM

I thought the fight scenes looked amazing. Though I wonder where they acquired such hand-to-hand combat skills?

by Anonymousreply 82April 6, 2019 4:21 PM

[Quote] Though I wonder where they acquired such hand-to-hand combat skills?

Lol me too. I bet they'd just say magic. Although most of the fight scenes from the original are bad too. But I blame that on the Buffy syndrome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83April 6, 2019 4:40 PM

r83 Okay, that scene definitely had to be the result of some spell because that shit looks CRAZY!

It's somewhat more grounded in this show but still a bit over the top. They'd have to be training martial arts on a daily basis to be able to throw those punches. But I don't mind it that much as I love seeing them kick ass without magic now and then. Otherwise, you just get lots and lots of chanting and waving hands around.

Star Trek: Discovery is another show that features crazy close combat between women. Though of course that show has a lot more money to burn so their fight choreography is so good, I saw MMA fighters praising it on Reddit.

by Anonymousreply 84April 6, 2019 4:52 PM

[Quote] Okay, that scene definitely had to be the result of some spell because that shit looks CRAZY!

Gives me Matrix vibes.

[Quote] Star Trek: Discovery is another show that features crazy close combat between women. Though of course that show has a lot more money to burn so their fight choreography is so good, I saw MMA fighters praising it on Reddit.

I'll get around to watching that show one day.

by Anonymousreply 85April 6, 2019 5:20 PM

Mel is basically Quicksilver !

I kinda don't like Niko.

by Anonymousreply 86May 15, 2019 7:27 AM

R86 why don't you like Niko?

by Anonymousreply 87May 15, 2019 2:06 PM

There's been a noticeable turn in this second half of the season from quiet family moments to almost non-stop action and some really dark stuff. I'm enjoying this tonal shift, even though I liked the first half as well. But they'll probably have to slow down again next season because this breakneck pace is unsustainable in the long run. And they're running out of characters to kill anyway, so I'm certain they'll return to the Monster of the Week format after this apocalypse emergency is over.

by Anonymousreply 88May 15, 2019 2:40 PM

R88 lol you're more optimistic than I am. Rushing through storylines is a CW staple. I doubt that will change when season 2 starts.

by Anonymousreply 89May 16, 2019 5:22 AM

R87 she's so beautiful, but so wooden. She either over acts or under acts. I forgive Mel's pouty face, but Niko seems like she delivers lines while reminding herself to make a face. Harry, Charity, Macy, Alistar , his son (not Parker) , and that Blonde Kapa chick all of them at least put in effort with what they are given. She doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 90May 17, 2019 3:09 PM

R90 she's terrible at crying scenes. But I find Parker more wooden than her.

by Anonymousreply 91May 17, 2019 10:25 PM

R91 I forgive Parker b/c he reminds me of Tyson Ritter of All American Rejects. His male beauty is to distract from his lack of acting skills.

by Anonymousreply 92May 19, 2019 1:06 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 93December 6, 2019 8:25 AM

I haven't bothered with season 2 seeing as how they basically got rid of everyone from the season before. And I didn't know Maggie and Parker are dating in real life. They didn't have much chemistry on the show.

by Anonymousreply 94December 6, 2019 9:34 AM

Anyone still watching?

by Anonymousreply 95March 12, 2020 6:49 AM

R95 I'm going to wait until season 2 is finished. It's bad enough I have to wait for all the breaks with Batwoman.

by Anonymousreply 96March 12, 2020 12:45 PM

I guess not as much r95.

by Anonymousreply 97June 10, 2020 4:10 AM

R97 not even Eric Balfour could save it.

by Anonymousreply 98June 10, 2020 6:13 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99November 21, 2020 10:51 PM

R99 yay 😐

by Anonymousreply 100November 22, 2020 5:08 AM

I guess people have lost much interest and would the show go there having Harry be bi?

by Anonymousreply 101January 22, 2021 1:47 AM

It was way too soon for this show to be revived. No wonder no one is interested in it.

by Anonymousreply 102January 22, 2021 1:50 AM

God, half a million viewers watch it and they haven't cancelled it? It's amazing how hard they will push an agenda and are terrified to cancel a show if the leads are... well you know...

by Anonymousreply 103January 22, 2021 1:52 AM

R103 CW doesn’t care about live ratings.

by Anonymousreply 104January 22, 2021 4:05 AM

The actress who plays Macy has left the show in the 3rd season just like Shannon Doherty in the original show.

by Anonymousreply 105September 4, 2021 5:26 PM

r105 I heard she was a huge bitch on set and everybody hated her.

by Anonymousreply 106September 4, 2021 5:34 PM

I like it and I am sad that Madeleine Mantock is leaving. I loved Macy.

But, of course, there's another offspring. Just like in the original show, which introduced Rose McGowan as Shannen's replacement.

by Anonymousreply 107September 4, 2021 6:15 PM

Macy was the only one i liked. But it's bad enough that they had to reboot the second season. And the showrunners are being replaced again. Looks like Madeleine and Melonie didn't really get along.

by Anonymousreply 108September 5, 2021 8:26 AM

R108 what makes you say that? I thought the drama was with Madeleine and the creative team

by Anonymousreply 109September 5, 2021 5:23 PM

3rd set of showrunners in 4 seasons. Oof.

I watched Season 1 on Netflix, made it about 4 eps into S2 before I gave no fucks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110September 5, 2021 5:28 PM

R109 I don't think Melonie had anything to do with her leaving. But other fans noticed stuff through their social media.

by Anonymousreply 111September 6, 2021 12:12 PM

NuCharmed has found its McGowan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112September 8, 2021 7:20 PM

Never heard of her. She's cute though.

by Anonymousreply 113September 9, 2021 1:01 PM

Lets hope she won't be as problematic r112

by Anonymousreply 114December 3, 2021 11:16 PM

R114

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115December 5, 2021 4:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!