Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Magicians Season 4

The Magicians Season 4 Release Date, Sneak Peek, and More

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294August 23, 2020 11:53 PM

The Magicians Season 4 Sneak Peek

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2018 10:45 PM

'The Magicians' Spoilers: Season 4 Cast Q&A

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2018 10:45 PM

The Magicians season 4 will premiere on Wednesday, January 23 at 9/8c on SYFY, winter being familiar territory for the series.

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2018 10:46 PM

The Magicians Is Coming to Comics Next Year

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2018 10:46 PM

Is this the show with the edgy "fluid" and bisexual characters but no gay male characters?

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2018 10:46 PM

R5 Yes

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2018 11:00 PM

THE MAGICIANS Season 4 Official Trailer (HD) Syfy Fantasy Series

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 27, 2018 8:23 PM

Elliot is gay. He only has sex with his wife out of royal duty.

It’s a great show.

by Anonymousreply 8October 27, 2018 8:28 PM

R8 he discovered he was bi after fucking his wife.

I didn't really like season three - the whole turning off magic thing was a bit silly.

by Anonymousreply 9October 27, 2018 8:42 PM

R9 I think he enjoyed the sex but was still totally into guys, he even added a husband to their marriage because it’s dick he wants. And S3 shows he’s totally in love with Q. If anything Q is the bi one on the show

I think S4 will be fun, seeing them rediscover who they are.

by Anonymousreply 10October 27, 2018 8:52 PM

Seeing Jason Ralph at the Golden Globes (w/ girlfriend Rachel Brosnahan) reminded me that "The Magicians" returns soon -- glad to see the DL is already on it!

by Anonymousreply 11January 7, 2019 2:36 AM

May we presume Quentin's annoying, whiny best friend won't get killed off? At least she isn't bring every scene down with her rape trauma anymore.

by Anonymousreply 12January 7, 2019 2:45 AM

I know I am in the minority, but I found the book to be such a chore to read that I didn't even consider watching the show.

I'm actually pretty surprised at how popular the books are. While I don't necessarily like them, I can usually understand why certain genre books are popular.

by Anonymousreply 13January 7, 2019 2:49 AM

R13, the series is very different than the books.

by Anonymousreply 14January 7, 2019 2:55 AM

R13 it took me two tries to get through the first book. The second half of it was much better than the first. The third book slogged on and wasn’t very good plot wise but I grew to like the authors style by the end.

The show is so much more fun.

by Anonymousreply 15January 7, 2019 4:59 PM

The annoying head librarian is back.

by Anonymousreply 16January 26, 2019 4:03 PM

I so wanted to like the show. I watched season one and even though it certainly wasn't my favorite show I kept watching since there really aren't that many interesting gay characters on tv now, and I generally like urban fantasy. Still, on season two I couldn't take it anymore and dropped the show. I decided to read the book instead thinking it must be way better since so many people seem to love it.

I usually read books as audiobooks these days, while working and doing chores, and it didn't take long to realize the first novel wasn't any better than the show. If possible it was actually even worse since at some point I realized I didn't like ANY of the characters in the book, not a single one. It's a total mystery why people seem to love it. I assume the author was in his teens when writing the novel since that's the level of the maturity we're dealing with here. I read tons of garbage so it's not like I only read Booker Prize winners but I guess the Magicians world just isn't for me. There's something suffocating and tedious about it. It's like the author hates all the characters and is deliberately making them annoying as hell. I also suspect he might have created them based on the people he knows, and is having a revenge on them this way. The book actually reads like it was written by a vengeful teen girl with a very closed mindset.

by Anonymousreply 17January 26, 2019 5:29 PM

I really liked the fourth-season premiere. I mean, Alice's cell mate was Santa Claus!

by Anonymousreply 18January 28, 2019 11:54 PM

I have no idea what R17 is talking about. The TV show is excellent... one of the best shows on TV. It's utterly gripping, original, inventive, fascinating, with great characters and stories.

I loved the premiere too. (there was some discussion in the other magicians thread left over from season 3 I think)

by Anonymousreply 19January 29, 2019 12:09 AM

Episode two tomorrow!

by Anonymousreply 20January 30, 2019 4:32 AM

Holy shit what a cliff-hanger.

by Anonymousreply 21January 31, 2019 2:12 PM

Season 3 is the best so far, hope S4 will be better

by Anonymousreply 22January 31, 2019 2:18 PM

".... can I have Elliot back?"

by Anonymousreply 23February 1, 2019 1:21 AM

Will they go on another quest (imho the previous season was the best so far with kick-ass Margo)? Something about Dean Fogg's demand for Todd to document his last day screamed quest for me.

by Anonymousreply 24February 1, 2019 1:15 PM

Well, they just broke the spell, so Dean Fogg is back, no?

I wonder if they're going to drag defeating the evil inhabiting Elliot out for the whole season, or if they'll wrap that up in the first half and do something else the second half....

by Anonymousreply 25February 1, 2019 2:10 PM

Elliot will die if that thing leaves his body :(

by Anonymousreply 26February 1, 2019 2:25 PM

I've loved Margo every season so far... and still love her in season four!

by Anonymousreply 27February 2, 2019 11:44 PM

Todd (Adam DiMarco) is so fucking hot. He's my favorite character on the show. The schlub, Josh, is my least favorite.

by Anonymousreply 28February 3, 2019 12:05 AM

One of the best shows on television. Hated the book.

by Anonymousreply 29February 3, 2019 12:09 AM

"Todd... take off your shirt and bring me a sandwich".

Hell yeah.

by Anonymousreply 30February 3, 2019 12:14 AM

Quelliot FTW

by Anonymousreply 31February 3, 2019 12:59 AM

R28 🍑

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 3, 2019 10:18 AM

R32, is he Gay? too bad the Oliver is ugly..

by Anonymousreply 33February 3, 2019 12:10 PM

I get a major gay vibe from Todd. Though I'm sure his character is gay, the actor really pings.

by Anonymousreply 34February 3, 2019 4:51 PM

Me too.

by Anonymousreply 35February 4, 2019 6:04 PM

Really late edit, but meant to say *I'm sure his character *ISN'T* gay

by Anonymousreply 36February 4, 2019 6:07 PM

Todd/Adam has a well-rounded ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 5, 2019 4:24 AM

Would love to see it out of the pants.

by Anonymousreply 38February 5, 2019 4:27 AM

I always find Quentin attractive, even though he is actually not that good looking, also not tall. I still don't know why I like him. lol.

Talking about Quentin, in the books, Quentin is actually depicted to be quite tall.

by Anonymousreply 39February 5, 2019 4:41 AM

^^^ J's a manlet. A sexy manlet with massive hairy forearms.

by Anonymousreply 40February 5, 2019 6:55 PM

Fuck a duck, was QQ sporting a tantalizing moose knuckle when they were bargaining with the fatass forger, or was I imagining things?

by Anonymousreply 41February 8, 2019 7:16 PM

Hale Appleman is so sexy.

by Anonymousreply 42February 16, 2019 8:50 PM

Season 3 was a way to redeem Jules. There is no character on this show I hated more than her. The Godess plot was obviously planned so we would like her again. Little did I know Alice would take her place so I would have another character to hate instead, yay! I honestly wouldn't care if she died at this point, just like I didn't care about Julia if she died after getting raped. Yes, what happened to her was awful but the depressing self pity shtick got old fast. Now Alice is the one who is fucking mental. Actually, she has been ever since she came back from being a niffin. That small window where Alice had died and Quentin hadn't brought her back yet was the best part about season 3. I hope they kill her off. She's insufferable. The only female characters I like are Kady and Margo.

by Anonymousreply 43February 16, 2019 9:01 PM

I want an orgy with the male cast because they are sexy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 44February 16, 2019 9:09 PM

r32 Is that Viktor from Deadly Class in the photo with him?

And yes, his ass is amazing. As are Bacchus' thighs (RIP). We've had lengthy discussions on reddit about both.

by Anonymousreply 45February 16, 2019 9:09 PM

Elliot and Todd need to fuck.

by Anonymousreply 46February 16, 2019 9:13 PM

Between this show and Deadly Class, SyFy is suddenly relevant again. And damn, all the sexy dudes in both shows.

by Anonymousreply 47February 17, 2019 6:05 AM

Eliot needs a new love interest.

by Anonymousreply 48February 17, 2019 8:35 AM

Considering that he is currently dead, Eliot probably has more important concerns at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 49February 17, 2019 9:10 AM

Of course this show had to kill off the only gay character, because why not.

by Anonymousreply 50February 17, 2019 9:15 AM

r50 Elliot? But people die and come back all the time on this show. They'll find a way or they wouldn't have shown him at the end of the most recent episode.

by Anonymousreply 51February 17, 2019 9:44 AM

Elliot is not dead, did you watch the latest episode?

by Anonymousreply 52February 17, 2019 9:48 AM

^^ Seconding R52 -- the reveal at the end of this week's episode = he's not at all dead, just banished by the monster to some parallel (inner?) dimension from which, presumably, he'll eventually be rescued.

by Anonymousreply 53February 17, 2019 11:53 AM

We already knew that the dead in The Magicians' universe live on in another place. That doesn't make them not dead.

by Anonymousreply 54February 17, 2019 7:20 PM

He'll be back fully, I'm sure. Now that the gods are in play, there's not much that can't be undone.

by Anonymousreply 55February 17, 2019 7:23 PM

I wonder what the beast was after... he found it, didn't he? I feel like I'm missing something.

by Anonymousreply 56February 19, 2019 1:48 PM

Quentin is just so damn adorable. I have such a crush on him.

by Anonymousreply 57February 21, 2019 5:21 AM

Loved the kiss between Elliot and Quentin

by Anonymousreply 58February 21, 2019 6:20 AM

r58 That was great and completely unexpected.

I'm going to miss the sassy maenad.

by Anonymousreply 59February 21, 2019 12:23 PM

This new episode was SO good. The lack of gayness has been my main issue with the show since it premiered. I feel like this new episode made up for it. Also, we finally got an episode dedicated to Eliot, which he deserved. It'll be interesting to see where it goes, maybe we'll finally get a legit love triangle with Alice, Quentin and Eliot.

by Anonymousreply 60February 21, 2019 2:54 PM

One thing I didn't like about the episode though was Josh and Margo. I just don't see them together, not because Margo is way out of his league and they would never happen in real life (which is true), it's just that Margo seems to let a part of herself go when she's with him. I prefer badass Margo, not the soft mess we saw in this new episode. I want Margo to be happy, don't get me wrong, but I don't think Josh will make her happy. He's not the partner she needs. I feel like she was desperately looking for a new partner after she thought she had lost Eliot and Josh for a moment filled that void.

by Anonymousreply 61February 21, 2019 3:02 PM

I lost interest when they shut off magic.

Too many other things on my watch list to go back to it any time soon.

Here's a thought, TV writers and producers: don't create a series about magic and then have an entire season where there isn't any.

And yeah the "Elliot is bi" thing pissed me off too. Genre series always try to earn their diversity points with "pansexuals" and hot lesbians, but rarely have the balls to show gay men. Fuck that.

by Anonymousreply 62February 21, 2019 3:11 PM

r62 Yeah, I hated that no-magic arc. Still do now that it's rationed. But the gods entered the scene so I'm intrigued.

I like the show and look forward to each new episode, however the one thing that has been bothering me more and more is that I have little recollection of the particular events that happened last season, because so much happens in every episode and season. When Quentin was pissed with Alice this episode, I had no idea what exactly she had done to him in the previous season. Same for different reality Marina. It's all a bit too convoluted now. And remember the days of them first discovering Fillory? Feels like an eternity ago, even though it's actually only been three seasons ago. Don't get me wrong, those myriad of side quests are cute and funny and they actually [italic]are[/italic] the show at the end of the day, but you could write a tome about them three seasons in. I want a quiet moment with all of them together now and then, not just always in crisis mode.

by Anonymousreply 63February 21, 2019 3:26 PM

R62, now they have 'straight' Quenton being bi, so … kinda undoes your point.

R63, the show is a lot more comprehensible when binged, but yeah, I DO rely on the "previously on..." bit at the start to remind me of all the things they're going to reference in this episode.

by Anonymousreply 64February 21, 2019 11:37 PM

r64 See, I always skip those "Previously on..." bits out of habit, even though they're intended exactly for people like me. I'm my own worst enemy, aren't I?

by Anonymousreply 65February 21, 2019 11:47 PM

I love this show and am really surprised I’m into Eliot and Quentin together. I guess this is what the kids these days are calling “fluid”? They are very sweet together and I’ve never seen a gay romance in a fantasy setting like this.

I love Margo and her bitchy one liners. She was hilarious with Fen. I’m also very attracted to Penny. I like that everyone on this show is either super tall like Penny and Eliot, or tiny pocket people like Quentin and all the girls.

by Anonymousreply 66February 22, 2019 1:00 AM

Yes, R65, because they very carefully edit those things to help you 'get' all the references you need for the upcoming episode. Some of them are pretty long.

by Anonymousreply 67February 22, 2019 1:08 AM

Since when has Elliot been bi?

by Anonymousreply 68February 22, 2019 2:24 AM

Well he did have that threesome with Margo and Quentin. Seems like I'm the only one who isn't into that Queliot - pairing at all. I just don't buy it. To me, Quentin and Alice will always be OTP. Whatever happened to Eliots hot fiancé, the king of Loria, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 69February 22, 2019 2:06 PM

R64: It doesn't "undo" my point. It validates it.

These shows will show men as bi or "fluid," but never just gay. And even then the bulk of their sexual and romantic relationships will be with women. They took the only character who seemed clearly gay and put him in a mmf threesome, then married him off to a woman. That they turned straight quentin bi/fluid doesn't make up for that, sorry.

Please direct me to any scifi/genre series where a MAIN and MALE character is exclusively gay, and I'll eat my words.

Star Trek Discovery went there, and then killed one of the couple (Wilson Cruz) off before the first season even ended.

And they'll only do lesbian characters when they're fem and hot. It isn't progress. It's more of the same: wank material for straight guys.

And about the plots: they do get way too convoluted on this show. I binged 2 1/2 seasons and it's now been a year. I'm pretty sure I'd have no idea what was going on, and there is no way I'm going to start this show over from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 70February 22, 2019 2:46 PM

[quote]Star Trek Discovery went there, and then killed one of the couple (Wilson Cruz) off before the first season even ended.

To be fair, he's back now and it's the only romantic arc of the second season so far. But yes, having him murdered in cold blood didn't look great at the time.

by Anonymousreply 71February 22, 2019 2:51 PM

Eliot is way more gay than bi. The threesome was the only way he could get Quentin into bed

by Anonymousreply 72February 22, 2019 5:08 PM

The threesome was the after-effect of some sort of spell and anyway Elliot and Margo didn't necessarily fuck - they could both have nailed Quentin.

by Anonymousreply 73February 22, 2019 5:30 PM

I loved the fact that Quentin was the one who proposed they give it a shot. Aside from that, I hope this kiss marked the end of their "will they won't they" arc. I want a stable relationship for Elliot and this ain't it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74February 22, 2019 5:41 PM

R74 I saw a recent live stream with Hale on Instagram. He was really excited about Eliot and Quentin and said they were canon in the books. I think they will happen for real this time, not just as a MMF threesome or because they're high on drugs.

by Anonymousreply 75February 22, 2019 8:56 PM

[quote]To be fair, he's back now

What the hell do you mean "he's back now"? From the dead??

by Anonymousreply 76February 22, 2019 11:28 PM

r76 Yes, he was resurrected just last week.

by Anonymousreply 77February 22, 2019 11:30 PM

How the fuck. That makes me not want to watch Star Trek Discovery any more. What a fucking cheat.

by Anonymousreply 78February 22, 2019 11:31 PM

r78 It [italic]was[/italic] a cheat in a way, but his death allowed them to use the power of Gay Love (TM) to guide Discovery back home at the end of the first season. And it made for a beautiful emotional episode last week. So, on balance, I think it was worth it. Plus Culber is getting an interesting new arc of being confused in his new body, and his relationship with Stamets possibly being on the rocks because of it. At the end of the day, gay characters on that show are getting (organic) airtime, so I'm not complaining.

by Anonymousreply 79February 22, 2019 11:39 PM

Hale did an AMA yesterday, check it out:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80February 23, 2019 10:05 AM

He was on Instagram Live too a couple of days ago. I wish I had recorded it. It was nice to hear his thoughts on Eliot and Quentin.

by Anonymousreply 81February 23, 2019 10:16 AM

r75 I don't know how to feel about that, honestly. Of course I'm not going to protest it but I don't want their romantic relationship - if it ever does happen properly - to be used as a device that makes Quentin realize how much he loves pussy/Alice after all. It wouldn't be worth it in the end.

by Anonymousreply 82February 23, 2019 10:21 AM

Are we not watching the same show? Eliot is clearly gay. His marriage to a woman showed how gay he is.

by Anonymousreply 83February 23, 2019 11:35 AM

R70 This is especially true of the new Sabrina. They made the two gay characters bi and involved with orgies with young witches.

This is what's so comical about so called "bi erasure." Bisexuality has always been the more preferable sexuality in television and in culture since the 20's.

Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 84February 23, 2019 11:54 AM

R83 Especially since the marriage was completely arranged.

by Anonymousreply 85February 23, 2019 5:39 PM

I find it interesting that some viewers' obsession with labels keeps them from appreciating what's happening between Quentin and Eliot. It's like the world is going to end the moment they let go of this supposed natural order of black & white sexual identity.

by Anonymousreply 86February 23, 2019 7:04 PM

R86 Idiot bisexual

by Anonymousreply 87February 23, 2019 8:01 PM

R86 This is why no one likes you, you realize? Your "don't label me, I'm not soup" platitudes stop being interesting after about 2004.

[quote] the moment they let go of this supposed natural order of black & white sexual identity.

You clearly have no boundaries or respect for them. This is part of the entitled bisexual rape complex

by Anonymousreply 88February 23, 2019 8:05 PM

[quote]keeps them from appreciating what's happening between Quentin and Eliot

r86 What's happening between them is fan-fuelled wish fulfillment. Apart from that threesome (as a result of a spell) and them spending fifty years together (again, as a result of a spell), the show gave us no indication whatsoever that Quentin might be attracted to guys as well. Them ending up in a romantic relationship would be playing into that unhealthy myth among gay men that the straight guy will eventually get worn down and "give in" if only you pester him long enough, possibly through coercive and nefarious means. The second gross thing it would perpetuate is that a friendship between a straight guy and a gay guy alone is never good enough and needs an upgrade in the form of a romance. Fuck that. They have a beautiful friendship going on, so I really hope the writers don't go there again.

r84 Sabrina is fucking outrageous. Three gay guys on the writing staff in addition to the gay showrunner, and there's not one gay male character on the show. Male homosexuality is used as the butt of a joke several times, and the one gay guy gets possessed, tortured and degraded horribly, and then murdered - also horribly, of course - for his "perversion". A character then casually suggests he might have been trans all long. I love the show but what the fuck exactly were those homos doing in the writers' room while the trans guy and the fraus were presenting this?

I'm just getting worked up again so I'll stop. I apologize for the detour.

by Anonymousreply 89February 23, 2019 8:38 PM

R89 Yup. The show seeks to challenge and reverse Christian dogma in every sort of way yet still manages to plant the idea that the gay character is rife for possession because he's a "sinner."

Also the "lesbian" character (Susie) called a DYKE throughout the series is actually trans and meant to be a boy, as affirmed by the blind psychic character that can see she clearly has a masculine spirit "trapped in the wrong body."

The trans lobby has its homophobic hooks in everything. This isn't progress.

by Anonymousreply 90February 23, 2019 8:47 PM

[quote] [R86] This is why no one likes you, you realize?

How mature. What's next, you inviting other posters to your sleepover and letting me know I am not invited, because I'm not popular enough? I don't give a fuck if you like me. And I especially don't give a fuck if you like yourself which clearly you don't since you come off as bitter and defensive.

[quote] You clearly have no boundaries or respect for them. This is part of the entitled bisexual rape complex.

That is quite rich coming from someone who uses the word rape so casually. I guess only certain words matter to you?

by Anonymousreply 91February 24, 2019 5:57 AM

[quote] Them ending up in a romantic relationship would be playing into that unhealthy myth among gay men that the straight guy will eventually get worn down and "give in" if only you pester him long enough, possibly through coercive and nefarious means.

God forbid that a perceived straight fictional character questions his total straightness. It would be the end of the world.

by Anonymousreply 92February 24, 2019 6:00 AM

[quote] Them ending up in a romantic relationship would be playing into that unhealthy myth among gay men that the straight guy will eventually get worn down and "give in" if only you pester him long enough, possibly through coercive and nefarious means.

For ages gay characters had storylines where they struggle with going straight for a woman at least once (for example Steven on Dynasty, Ian from UK's Shameless). "Unhealthy myths" create drama and sometimes character development.

by Anonymousreply 93February 24, 2019 6:06 AM

[quote] [R84] Sabrina is fucking outrageous. Three gay guys on the writing staff in addition to the gay showrunner, and there's not one gay male character on the show.

What a self righteous comment. Ambrose doesn't count because he isn't the right kind of gay (since he identifies as pansexual or is it because he's black?)?

It proves my point at r86 of people being so hung up on labels that they get so worked up over such trivial matters.

[quote] I'm just getting worked up again so I'll stop.

Please don't. You make your side look like the unhinged one million moms they are.

by Anonymousreply 94February 24, 2019 6:14 AM

[quote]What's happening between them is fan-fuelled wish fulfillment. Apart from that threesome (as a result of a spell) and them spending fifty years together (again, as a result of a spell), the show gave us no indication whatsoever that Quentin might be attracted to guys as well.

Sorry R89. No, it's not.

It started in the books when Lev Grossman wrote a scene where Quentin watches Eliot give a boy a blowjob and wonders why Eliot hasn't asked to do that to him. There's a couple of other moments that could be ambiguous afterwards.

Lev confirmed back in 2016, in an interview on video, that yes. Quentin was bisexual in the books. He confirmed, that was why that moment was there. (He also leans towards women.)

That's a bit different than JK saying Dumbledore is gay with zero supporting evidence in the text.

The producers of the show also said back in Season 1 that Quentin is bisexual.

They're not real clear at explaining things but that's just how they do it, even with Eliot. (Lev also intentionally wrote the books that way.)

So far: Eliot is bisexual but leans towards men. Quentin is bisexual but leans towards women.

Bisexual is the new "hot lesbian on a tv show." You see it on Schitt's Creek with David's character being "pansexual." You see the same thing on Sabrina. It's here too. It's also on "The 100."

by Anonymousreply 95February 24, 2019 7:01 AM

[quote] What a self righteous comment. Ambrose doesn't count because he isn't the right kind of gay (since he identifies as pansexual or is it because he's black?)?

Gay is not an umbrella term. Men that have sex with women are not gay.

No wonder you sound like a 16 year old from myspace with your whole "labels are for soup!" schtick. You have NO idea what words actually mean!

by Anonymousreply 96February 24, 2019 11:54 AM

I'm kinda glad we get more Marina. Seeing her outsmart Fogg kinda makes me jizz. I also want to see how she and Kady are gonna go after one another.

by Anonymousreply 97February 24, 2019 12:38 PM

r96, myspace? Is that still a thing for you? Now I just pity you.

by Anonymousreply 98February 24, 2019 2:14 PM

Just because a gay man is forced to sleep with a woman does not make him bi. What about all the gay kings or princes who had to marry women and procreate? Are they bi because their penises touched vaginal walls?

by Anonymousreply 99February 24, 2019 2:44 PM

R98 Not as much as I pity you, Aedan. I know you're our resident FTM homophobe obsessed with gay men while simultaneously denying homosexuality exists.

by Anonymousreply 100February 24, 2019 3:36 PM

Homosexuality does exist as do heterosexuality, bisexuality / pansexuality. The difference between you and me is that you try to make one superior and dismiss the others as inferior.

by Anonymousreply 101February 24, 2019 3:43 PM

R101 I really don't. I pointed out to you that so called "pansexuals" are not gay, as gay is not an umbrella term. There is no "right kind of gay," but heterosexuals and bisexuals are not any type of gay.

by Anonymousreply 102February 24, 2019 3:48 PM

Gay men have been having sex with women for centuries. Doesn't make them any less gay.

by Anonymousreply 103February 24, 2019 3:57 PM

R103 Nice try, but as you already said the character is "pansexual" I think you can give it up now. The queering of sexual boundaries and orientations must end.

by Anonymousreply 104February 24, 2019 4:00 PM

I'm not the one who said that R104

by Anonymousreply 105February 24, 2019 4:01 PM

I think Jason Ralph is so damn cute. Hope he's hung!

by Anonymousreply 106February 24, 2019 4:27 PM

The scene of Margo refusing to cry and mourn for Eliot was heartbreaking. Her lips quivering was a nice touch. Call me Mary! but Summer Bishil should get at least an Emmy nomination for her performance as Margo.

by Anonymousreply 107February 24, 2019 4:31 PM

r107 Same. I had no idea where that scene was heading but then she said "I won't be able to stop if I start crying now", and it hit me like a truck. Great writing and acting.

by Anonymousreply 108February 24, 2019 5:55 PM

I loved the grayish atmosphere in this series, there is no absolute white and black, no absolute good or evil, even when it comes to sexuality, it's fluid.

by Anonymousreply 109February 25, 2019 1:26 PM

So Alice finally got her redemption arc, that last scene of her was amazing. Also, Marina has a girlfriend. lol

by Anonymousreply 110February 28, 2019 8:24 AM

Not sure it's a redemption arc, given apparently everything goes to shit next week.

by Anonymousreply 111February 28, 2019 9:03 AM

I love how it was pointed out that magic (like drugs and acohol) is what you make of it. And call me Mary! but the last moments of Alice taking some time to watch the children play warmed my little, black heart.

by Anonymousreply 112February 28, 2019 10:11 AM

Holy shit, that was Camryn Manheim. I thought she played a nurse on Chicago Hope or E.R., but nope, that isn't in her credits. Who am I confusing her with? Anyway, I do remember Camryn from Will&Grace and the unfortunate Extant.

Marina has a girlfriend! The beloved cat, the anger... it all makes sense now.

The librarians needs to be fucking killed one by one, and the Library burned down and its grounds salted. And I say that as a librarian. But gosh, those fuckers on this show are just the worst!

by Anonymousreply 113February 28, 2019 1:57 PM

R113, she was on "LA Law" as a lesbian lawyer with a ton of weird earrings, right?

by Anonymousreply 114February 28, 2019 11:05 PM

r114 No, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction; she was on The Practice! For some reason, I was thinking of a medical drama, instead of a legal one.

You were spot on about the earrings, though, which are firmly etched in my memory as well. I do recall her character being a lesbian, though I can't find any confirmation about that online. Can't believe that show is considered too old / not important enough to have its own wiki. It felt so modern and cutting edge at the time. Like HTGAWM before HTGAWM.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115February 28, 2019 11:17 PM

[quote]so modern and cutting edge at the time

Having said that, just how basic does she look in that photo? Yeesh. Pre-HD costume designers had it so much easier. Compare that to the fabrics and the prints Baranski wears on The Good Fight and it feels more like half a century has passed since then.

by Anonymousreply 116February 28, 2019 11:29 PM

Seriously can't wait until we get gay Elliot back.

by Anonymousreply 117March 1, 2019 3:20 AM

R117, Elliot is not gay, he is bi both in the book and movie.

by Anonymousreply 118March 1, 2019 9:37 AM

There is no movie, and to call TV Elliot "Bi" is ridiculous. He's gay.

by Anonymousreply 119March 1, 2019 1:43 PM

Fuck off R118

by Anonymousreply 120March 1, 2019 1:49 PM

He's bi. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 121March 1, 2019 1:52 PM

He's all gay now.

by Anonymousreply 122March 2, 2019 12:36 AM

The beautiful Adam DiMarco

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123March 2, 2019 12:50 AM

r123 Makes me angry how pretty he is. Like when a baby animal is so adorable you just want to slap it.

by Anonymousreply 124March 2, 2019 12:58 AM

Camryn Manheim has a cute teenage son who might be family.

I can’t believe the Practice is that old that people don’t know about it either. I remember hating her on that show though, and her too long thin hair. She was adorable on the Magicians though.

Oh and Eliot is gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125March 2, 2019 1:03 AM

Can we please put this stupid discussion to rest. Eliot ist mostly gay, according to Lev Grossman. Also, Hale said the following regardign Eliot's marriage to Fen: "I would never deny that Eliot is largely a homosexual," Appleman said. "I want to do nothing to undermine that Eliot is a queer character and a hero at that. That's important to me, that's important to the fandom, that's important to the legacy that [author] Lev Grossman created."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126March 2, 2019 9:25 AM

I loved how the "Famous people from Modesto" jar candles in the shop were just George Lucas, Timothy Olyphant, and James Marsters over and over again. Poor Jeremy Renner and Marcia Lucas.

r126 Thanks for that quote, although seeing "homosexual" used as a noun outside of DL always makes me cringe.

by Anonymousreply 127March 2, 2019 10:14 AM

I don't understand how someone can watch the Magicians and think Eliot is bisexual. He may have been bisexual in the books, but the TV show says otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 128March 4, 2019 2:20 AM

r123 He was guesting on Charmed last night. Gorgeous, gorgeous guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129March 4, 2019 2:01 PM

I just wish he would come out. R129

by Anonymousreply 130March 4, 2019 2:17 PM

I wish I could just tie him up and edge him until he does, r130.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131March 4, 2019 2:23 PM

Jason Ralph >> Todd

by Anonymousreply 132March 4, 2019 3:05 PM

^^ In what world, America? In what world?!

by Anonymousreply 133March 4, 2019 3:07 PM

Just watched the new episode, Penny with suit and his supervisor's supervisor is hot lol

by Anonymousreply 134March 7, 2019 4:13 AM

Almost didn't recognize Chris Brochu. Still seems gay.

by Anonymousreply 135March 7, 2019 4:19 AM

Interesting episode. Basically the entire thing was a Penny Job Interview.

by Anonymousreply 136March 7, 2019 5:40 AM

Todd is so underrated. Wish the show would give him more to do. He has excellent chemistry with Eliot too. If Eliot doesn't end up with Quentin my vote is that he ends up with Todd.

by Anonymousreply 137March 7, 2019 5:48 AM

What the hell was with all those cute guys being introduced in this episode? There were too many to count, so I just went with an ethnic one.

"Jesus lizard-fucking Christ!" - I love no more bleeping on this show. Though I feel like the twists and turns with Margo's destiny lizard are getting ridiculous.

I also love the head librarian's elephant pants. I feel like they're the spiritual successor of the beloved caftan. Only, you know, modern and more socially acceptable to wear outside of one's home. And that broad looks amazing in them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138March 7, 2019 2:05 PM

I thought “super straight white guy” Penny was lecturing was Andrew Rannellis

by Anonymousreply 139March 7, 2019 8:51 PM

Rannells is too big to be a tertiary character on this show.

by Anonymousreply 140March 7, 2019 8:54 PM

True. The actor still seems gay to me which made all the “cis hetero bro” stuff kind of funny

by Anonymousreply 141March 7, 2019 10:45 PM

Chris Brochu is gay and you can't change my mind.

by Anonymousreply 142March 7, 2019 10:48 PM

I dunno, he looked and acted the part of a straight white dudebros pretty well, imho.

by Anonymousreply 143March 7, 2019 11:23 PM

I was struggling to place his voice the entire episode and then it hit me - he sounded exactly like Alex Karpovsky from Girls.

by Anonymousreply 144March 7, 2019 11:27 PM

R137, Ew no, he is an irrelevant character.

by Anonymousreply 145March 8, 2019 5:58 AM

But he's cute R145

by Anonymousreply 146March 8, 2019 6:01 AM

Todd is so damn cute R137. He is a touch more masc in The Order on Netflix, but that show is HORRIBLE.

by Anonymousreply 147March 8, 2019 3:41 PM

So you actually tried watching that show, r147?

by Anonymousreply 148March 8, 2019 4:12 PM

Chris Brochu has previously played a gay witch.

by Anonymousreply 149March 9, 2019 6:06 PM

Another 'filler' episode...but next episode looks promising though.

by Anonymousreply 150March 14, 2019 7:11 PM

Come on, that "Napster" joke was great.

Don't mind me, I'll be over here rubbing eggs into my temples.

by Anonymousreply 151March 15, 2019 4:00 AM

This show needs more Todd/Adam DiMarco, especially if they put him in pants that can barely contain his ass like they did a couple of episodes ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152March 15, 2019 9:29 AM

I need one of those sex voodoo dolls to give Todd/Adam DiMarco orgasms from afar. And yes, I realize that's a form of sexual assault, I'm just joking.

by Anonymousreply 153March 15, 2019 12:10 PM

[QUOTE] Can we please put this stupid discussion to rest. Eliot ist mostly gay, according to Lev Grossman. Also, Hale said the following regardign Eliot's marriage to Fen: "I would never deny that Eliot is largely a homosexual," Appleman said. "I want to do nothing to undermine that Eliot is a queer character and a hero at that. That's important to me, that's important to the fandom, that's important to the legacy that [author] Lev Grossman created."

That's a lot of words to basically say "Look, I just don't want the character to be a total fag! Give me my diversity points and shut up!"

by Anonymousreply 154March 15, 2019 12:31 PM

Alice is very Marilyn Monroesque

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155March 16, 2019 6:13 AM

Did that crazy dragon lady lie about the baby being Quentin's? I'm confused.

by Anonymousreply 156March 16, 2019 6:31 AM

It's not Quentin's baby

by Anonymousreply 157March 16, 2019 6:32 AM

R153 Todd is so underrated. They need to give him more screen time. I don't get why they promoted Josh to a series regular but not Todd. Makes no sense. I'd much rather watch more of Todd. Josh's constant weed references are stupid too. I really want Todd with Eliot if this thing with Q doesn't work out. At least we'd have two gay characters played by two gay men.

by Anonymousreply 158March 16, 2019 6:35 AM

[quote] I don't get why they promoted Josh to a series regular but not Todd. Makes no sense. I'd much rather watch more of Todd.

Josh was a character in the books. I think Todd was just for this show.

They did give him more to do last season but I wonder if the fact that he had booked a regular role on another TV series prevented him from being in this season more.

R158, Even Netflix knows that "Todd's" body (on a show he isn't even the star of) will get people watching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159March 16, 2019 10:33 AM

There is a theory that Todd is related to Elliot... (Well, they literally have the same name, which are Elliot). So, he prob will have a big role in future episodes since this season is kinda Elliot-centric.

Tbh, I don't find him underrated at all, his acting is pretty average and his character in this series is also nothing interesting. About his looks? Nobody ever underrated him.

by Anonymousreply 160March 16, 2019 11:53 PM

[quote] Did that crazy dragon lady lie about the baby being Quentin's? I'm confused.

Both Quentin and Poppy (crazy dragon lady) were under the influence of the spell that protected the fertilized dragon egg and it made them act like they are its parents (and the viewer thinking that it's about the baby in Poppy's womb).

by Anonymousreply 161March 17, 2019 4:30 PM

I didn't understand the statement that Adam inserted in a recent Instagram story, something about needing more dick. There was a eggplant inserted on an image of Supernatural's Alexander Calvert. If anyone saw it, please explain.

by Anonymousreply 162March 17, 2019 9:55 PM

He wants Calvert's eggplant, i.e. dick.

by Anonymousreply 163March 17, 2019 9:58 PM

I don't blame him. I think they'd make a cute couple

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164March 17, 2019 10:00 PM

Too bad he's straight and married.

by Anonymousreply 165March 17, 2019 10:05 PM

Which one's married?

by Anonymousreply 166March 17, 2019 10:07 PM

Alexander Calvert.

by Anonymousreply 167March 17, 2019 10:11 PM

Didn't realize since his Wikipedia and IMDB page have no mention of it. Still think they'd be cute together.

by Anonymousreply 168March 17, 2019 10:13 PM

[quote]Both Quentin and Poppy (crazy dragon lady) were under the influence of the spell that protected the fertilized dragon egg and it made them act like they are its parents (and the viewer thinking that it's about the baby in Poppy's womb).

I think some fans were confused about that because of the conversation Poppy had with Quentin at the end of the episode even after the egg was gone. It seemed like she may really a have been pregnant with Quentin's baby because she really was pregnant. She said it wasn't his but Poppy also lies.

It's nice to hear the boy has taste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169March 18, 2019 4:08 AM

I'm waiting for the musical episode of the season. Last season's 'Under Pressure' was pretty great.

Though that means another filler episode lol

by Anonymousreply 170March 20, 2019 9:13 PM

They are doing another? For real? Didn't care for the one last season at all.

by Anonymousreply 171March 20, 2019 9:37 PM

Yeah, I could do without another one of those. Most of them didn't have a good singing voice and Kady sounded straight-up dubbed the last time around.

by Anonymousreply 172March 20, 2019 10:04 PM

I didn't care for it either R171 but it's coming.

But it doesn't sound like it's a filler episode. They managed to tie it into a book event that we should get to after this week's episode.

(Minor spoilers in the article)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173March 20, 2019 10:29 PM

Actually I'm looking forward to it.

Poor Margo! DEPOSED!

by Anonymousreply 174March 21, 2019 5:17 AM

After this episode, I think I can finally accept Josh-Margo and Julia-Penny relationships.

by Anonymousreply 175March 21, 2019 5:24 AM

Too bad the credits spoiled Gethin Anthony in advance because I would have screamed otherwise. The one true king! Such a shame that horrid Finn Jones has gotten better gigs than him post-GoT.

His Insta is so tasteful and carefully curated so as not to give anything away about his personal life. Bitch be keeping all of his options on the table for future work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176March 21, 2019 5:19 PM

I'm not QUITE clear on the whole overthrow-King-Margo storyline and why Margo voluntarily left -- what is the quest she's on/what is she hoping to find?

by Anonymousreply 177March 22, 2019 11:52 PM

I've no idea what that arc was about and laughed when the guards dramatically marched Margo towards some generic wall at the end of the episode.

by Anonymousreply 178March 22, 2019 11:57 PM

R177 & R178 She is going to try to convince some Fillory hating desert people to give her the means to exorcise the monster from Eliot's body. She just proved that Fillory "hates" her by deposing her.

Enough said?

by Anonymousreply 179March 23, 2019 12:05 AM

R177 & R178 That's what you got if you only watch because of the hot guys. :p

by Anonymousreply 180March 23, 2019 8:41 AM

Love Margo and it kind of breaks my heart that for all the bad ass shit she has done for Fillory as a reward she's now being thrown out (even if it helps her quest to save Elliot).

by Anonymousreply 181March 23, 2019 8:53 AM

Ah, many thanks R179!

Admittedly, I was super-tired when I watched this week's episode and found myself nodding off a couple of times. Clearly, I missed some key details.

And LOL to R180. (I'm a lady gay, so... not so much. But I do love Eliot and Q together. :-))

by Anonymousreply 182March 23, 2019 12:15 PM

Devan Long is so fucking hot as the axe man out in the desert.

He plays Otto West on Now Apocalypse. I want to see a lot more of him.

by Anonymousreply 183March 28, 2019 2:19 AM

Haven't seen the episode yet. Hopefully his acting is better here than in Now Apocalypse.

by Anonymousreply 184March 28, 2019 2:22 AM

Kady, Josh, and Fogg can really sing. Elliot too, but I'm not a fan of his voice. Only in this series I can appreciate musical episodes, usually I can't stand them.

Margo is the best character, and the actress prob the best one too, out of the cast.

Also, as a Bi man, this episode is really a blessing for my eyes. The axe guy, shirtless elliot, Julia and Margo are so beautiful. lol

by Anonymousreply 185March 28, 2019 6:15 AM

Axe guy needs to get more work.

by Anonymousreply 186March 28, 2019 1:20 PM

Well, that was delightful. Love how this show has leaned into the feminist message and this week's episode with the menstrual spirits and Margo's kickass speech were a great example of that. And just when I was about to bitch about how Margo never uses magic for some reason, they have her bring the house down with it.

I liked the first and the last song the most. So grateful most of the singing was done by Elliot and that those who can't sing were excluded. I finally understand why Kady sounded dubbed in the first musical episode - because she was only singing in her higher register! The variation here made her sound more natural.

Goodbye, Gethin Anthony. We hardly knew ya.

by Anonymousreply 187March 28, 2019 2:08 PM

After bingeing this show for 2 seasons, I lost interest when they cut out magic and quit watching.

Now a year later, I might have been interested in catching up on it, but--from what I remember--the plots got so convoluted I wouldn't know what's going on.

And I'm certainly not going to start it over from scratch, so there we are.

Lesson for producers: don't create a show that centers on magic and then take away the magic. Really bad move.

by Anonymousreply 188March 28, 2019 2:16 PM

R188, tbh S3 is still my favorite season so far, the quest to bring magic back was so entertaining to watch. Although most of the main casts couldn't use magic, there was magic involved in every episode. I even dare to say that S3 is the most magical season out of all seasons, you got to see many magical creatures, magical places, magic sources, and magical items.

Also, S3 Episode 5 is still the best episode of all seasons.

by Anonymousreply 189March 28, 2019 3:29 PM

Will we ever have alive Renly Baratheon in any TV series?

by Anonymousreply 190March 28, 2019 3:30 PM

Between this and Deadly Class, SyFy is suddenly on a hot streak with original, like-no-other-shows grown-up programming. That they punted on The Expanse is a shame, and Amazon’ gain. Too bad about Winona Earp and Van Helsing, crap shows from the hacky, cheap Canadian Tv factory.

by Anonymousreply 191March 29, 2019 5:45 AM

R187, he was hot, but he couldn't live forever.

I bet he feels really stupid now that he didn't memorize the password for his panic room.

by Anonymousreply 192March 29, 2019 5:53 AM

Another filler episode. Zzzzzzzz.

by Anonymousreply 193March 30, 2019 8:37 AM

I admit this scene was great though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194March 30, 2019 9:27 AM

The Pretenders cover of Don't Get Me Wrong on the show is way better than Morrissey's unispired and lifeless cover of Back in The Chain Gang. But I got some serious Morrissey vibe off of Hale Appleman's performance.

by Anonymousreply 195March 30, 2019 10:44 AM

I want more Todd and less Josh.

by Anonymousreply 196March 30, 2019 8:03 PM

Fantastic episode. Margo gets all the best lines, doesn't she?

by Anonymousreply 197April 4, 2019 12:44 PM

This show is just excellent from start to finish. It was great to see the contrast in the relationship from past to present as well, how much has changed.

by Anonymousreply 198April 4, 2019 12:50 PM

I taste mint...

by Anonymousreply 199April 5, 2019 2:10 PM

Penny 23 doesn't deserve Julia.

by Anonymousreply 200April 5, 2019 2:12 PM

Easily one of the best shows on TV. I hate that the season is almost over.

by Anonymousreply 201April 7, 2019 9:10 PM

I'm a bit disappointed that Elliot's monster isn't Kronos, but just some weird twin.

by Anonymousreply 202April 7, 2019 9:29 PM

If Kady tastes mint and does wind up dying in that poison room, I assume that means she'll be reunited with her timeline's Penny in the afterlife... no?

by Anonymousreply 203April 8, 2019 12:35 PM

God I love Quintin.

ONLY ONE MORE EPISODE!

by Anonymousreply 204April 11, 2019 1:05 PM

Quentin's hair has never looked better. I can't believe that sister thing killed OLU just like that. Isn't OLU actually Persephone and as such an Old God?

by Anonymousreply 205April 11, 2019 4:51 PM

I had that same question, R205... but of course, gods killing gods wouldn't trigger the shut-off of magic, right?

by Anonymousreply 206April 12, 2019 12:05 AM

OLU could still be alive in the underworld. I love Julia's look in the evil mode.

by Anonymousreply 207April 12, 2019 6:50 AM

The show can be very insightful, like when Monster Eliot indicates that in the modern world the reason for needing a name is Starbucks, mostly.

by Anonymousreply 208April 13, 2019 9:06 PM

THIS EPISODE BROKE ME.....

by Anonymousreply 209April 18, 2019 5:13 AM

I was sobbing uncontrollably at the end.

Holy fuck.

by Anonymousreply 210April 18, 2019 5:16 AM

And he is confirmed to not coming back in S5

by Anonymousreply 211April 18, 2019 5:40 AM

Quentin was the main character. The show is going to diminish a lot without him. It will be like Golden Girls without Dorothy.

by Anonymousreply 212April 18, 2019 5:57 AM

Hopefully, the writers will make Todd the new heart of the show, although Adam DiMarco is doing another show too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213April 18, 2019 6:09 AM

Todd and Elliot need to hook up

by Anonymousreply 214April 18, 2019 6:11 AM

Is Quentin coming back, did the actor leave the show? It won't be the same without him. Also, I'm still rooting for him and Eliot.

by Anonymousreply 215April 18, 2019 9:52 AM

Can't believe the actor playing Q isn't coming back, what the fuck? He's always been my least favourite character, but I'll miss him still. His face when he was crying broke me and I started sobbing as well. Loved the sweet little musical number at the end.

I agree with some of the reviews saying the two monsters went out anticlimactically, given how hyped up they were and how they killed friggin' OLU. I loved the Old Gods' secretary explaining the monster using the logic "Why is a nickel bigger than a dime?"

The magic is finally back and it seems to be over-juiced. I'm most curious about the Dark King in Fillory, which is crazy because I've never been much interested in that arc.

by Anonymousreply 216April 18, 2019 12:56 PM

He's not coming back, R215. Not even for flashbacks. The actor has left the show.

He was easily my favorite character. I watched it mostly for him. HIs relationship with Elliot was amazing and ground-breaking.

I have no idea where the show goes from here. But you can't say they didn't foreshadow this all season long.

by Anonymousreply 217April 18, 2019 2:25 PM

The show-runners explain:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218April 18, 2019 2:46 PM

Odd decision, though I though Q was pretty marginalized this season.

by Anonymousreply 219April 18, 2019 2:55 PM

If Quentin is not coming back, I'm just gonna pretend that this is the series finale. He is my fav character from day 1, I rarely rooting for any main character in any shows, not even Jon Snow or Mama dragon. I find him the most relatable for me, personality-wise.

by Anonymousreply 220April 18, 2019 3:00 PM

My favorite character too, but … I'll still be back. It's such a good show.

But I'll really, really miss him.

by Anonymousreply 221April 19, 2019 12:12 AM

The incredibly quick demise of the Monsters was anticlimactic, like the end of the first season of Heroes. It's like they couldn't think of any way exciting to end it and they ran out of episodes so they just finished it off in a few minutes and devoted the rest of the time to setting up the next season. It should have a long complex battle and not just a surprise pickaxe swing. The Everett ending was even worse.

by Anonymousreply 222April 19, 2019 12:36 AM

r222 Yup, that global kumbaya spellcasting was sweet but didn't really work for me in this context. I wanted to see a bigger fight.

by Anonymousreply 223April 19, 2019 12:41 AM

[quote]If Quentin is not coming back, I'm just gonna pretend that this is the series finale.

He's done. A goner. Peace out.

The weirdest part of all of it, is that from the interviews with the show runners, they told Jason they were going to do it last season in what appears to be a casual conversation.

It doesn't sound like he wanted to go OR that they were pissed at him. It just seems like they came up with the idea, told him and they just decided to do it. The whole reason the show exists is because of Q's obsession with Fillory. I know it's an ensemble but he was clearly the lead.

How many shows survive this?

by Anonymousreply 224April 19, 2019 12:42 AM

I wish they killed Julia instead of Q.

by Anonymousreply 225April 19, 2019 7:37 AM

So, not only did the show tease use with a gay romance on a sci-fi show (never been done before), only to bail on that and pair him with Alice instead, they also managed to kill him off, playing into the old "bury your gays" trope. NOPE. Sorry, not here for this shit. I will boycott the show from now on. Like R220 I will pretend this was the series finale and not bother at all with a final season (I hope it will be the final season, can't imagine it will be successful without Quentin, the main character. It will probably be cancelled). What they did to Quentin was simply unforgivable.

by Anonymousreply 226April 19, 2019 7:47 AM

R226 is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 227April 19, 2019 12:11 PM

I understand completely where r226 is coming from and I stopped watching Roswell because the gay romance ended, and I cancelled Sabrina because... well, there's nothing gay in there to be found.

It's just in this case, Quentin (and the actor) annoyed me from the first minute to the last and so I'm very much looking forward to the Ralph-less future of this show.

by Anonymousreply 228April 19, 2019 12:17 PM

MARY!

[quote]So, not only did the show tease use with a gay romance on a sci-fi show (never been done before),

This has [bold]totally[/bold] been done before on Shadowhunters, Torchwood, Trueblood, Orphan Black and even Killjoys. (And none of those were baiting, they were actual relationships.) Hell, it's not the only gay romance that was on this show.

Also the characters are bisexual not gay. There was never an actual gay character on the show or rather a character that strictly only wanted relationships with men. Even Elliot has slept with Margo.

[quote]only to bail on that and pair him with Alice instead

Again, he wasn't "gay." As the author said, Quentin will accept love from anyone that wants to give it.

[quote]they also managed to kill him off, playing into the old "bury your gays" trope. NOPE.

I don't disagree with this while remembering they're all bisexual.

[quote]Sorry, not here for this shit. I will boycott the show from now on. Like [R220] I will pretend this was the series finale and not bother at all with a final season (I hope it will be the final season, can't imagine it will be successful without Quentin, the main character. It will probably be cancelled). What they did to Quentin was simply unforgivable.

If the only reason you were watching the show is because of a "tease" of a possible romance between two characters that were bisexual then it's probably best you stop watching the show.

I don't want to sound like I'm slighting you, I really am just trying to say that this show was never going to be it. Even the books that the show is based have Quentin and Alice together at the end.

by Anonymousreply 229April 19, 2019 1:22 PM

In one week we lost not one, but TWO gay characters. How is this in any way ok?! First Quentin, then Nico on Grey's Anatomy. If it was a lesbian character, there would be outrage. But since it's a gay male character.... nothing. Gays just don't give a fuck if the producers kill off (or in Nico's case send off) gay characters. Just sad.

by Anonymousreply 230April 19, 2019 1:30 PM

We got the two gays reuniting on Discovery, though, and travelling together into the bright future, literally.

Could we have discussed the fates of four gay characters on separate TV shows in the same week ten or even five years ago? That's clearly progress.

by Anonymousreply 231April 19, 2019 1:37 PM

I'm not sure what the show's going to be like without Q, but I nominate Pete to move up to main character status.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232April 19, 2019 3:21 PM

r232 Yes! Omg, he's so handsome.

by Anonymousreply 233April 19, 2019 3:22 PM

Quentin was easily my favorite character and the show will be lesser without him.

I cannot fathom those people who hate him so much they're glad he's gone. That just seems insane to me.

by Anonymousreply 234April 19, 2019 3:54 PM

I'm really into hair and I've hated his haircut throughout, except maybe in this last season. There, that's why I never liked the character. That and the whininess and the weird backstory (suicide attempts?!) that didn't seem to inform his arc in any way. As with other things in art and life in general, this also simply boils down to individual taste and preference.

And yes, Alice has the best hair on TV right now. That platinum blonde colour with the black roots, coloured to within a micron of precision? Chef's kiss.

by Anonymousreply 235April 19, 2019 4:02 PM

R213 He can probably do both as both are filming in Vancouver.

by Anonymousreply 236April 19, 2019 4:06 PM

They could easily add Adam DiMarco and his thicc ass or Pete R232.

Although Todd could possibly be bi (since he was allegedly banging Margolem) and it seemed as if Pete was going to (if he stuck around) hook up with Kady. He already slept with Julia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237April 19, 2019 5:43 PM

So the show is not Jon Snow-ing us? The others will not try to get Quentin back with the overload of magic they have now?

A beautiful send off though. Love "Cruel World" by Active Child that's playing while Quentin sacrifices himself.

by Anonymousreply 238April 19, 2019 6:53 PM

No, R238.

by Anonymousreply 239April 19, 2019 7:51 PM

I would like to have Alice, with her pouting and whining and her ridiculously huge jugs, thrown into the Seam. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 240April 19, 2019 11:55 PM

Only if I can have Quintin back.

by Anonymousreply 241April 20, 2019 12:11 AM

Without Q I bet next season will be the last.

by Anonymousreply 242April 20, 2019 2:13 AM

Kind of a bad ass move. Sort of like the anti Harry Potter where the media and fans were so "Oh no! Please J.K. Rowling, don't let Harry die! Think of the children!".

by Anonymousreply 243April 20, 2019 6:18 AM

i think his death would have made an even greater impact if he had more to do in the season. Most of the season I was like "where's Quentin?". He was sidelined for most of it, just being the supporting character showing up in other characters' stories.

by Anonymousreply 244April 20, 2019 6:37 AM

Quentin was the character that bound all the others together. Except for two existing pairs, none of the main characters would have had anything to do with each other. There's no reason for them to stay together as a group with Quentin gone.

by Anonymousreply 245April 20, 2019 6:51 AM

Why did Jason Ralph leave? Q is the heart and soul of this show.

Will Jason show up as Mrs. Maisel's new love interest?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246April 20, 2019 6:54 AM

There was enough of an uproar that a few articles were written about it and I don't think most fans are joking when they said they won't be back.

According to an interview with Ralph:

1. He doesn't seem to have any feeling one way or the other on his exit and he kind of avoids their question. He didn't seem upset in the interview. He didn't say he wanted to leave. The story is consistent that the writers just came up with it and he went along with it.

2. They filmed a fake ending where his character came back to life so ...

3. The cast had no clue until two days before the episode aired that he was dead for real and the ending they shot where he came back was fake.

Shows can't usually survive this and the Magicians writers think they're smart enough to get around this death. Sleepy Hollow got cancelled after Abby was killed and Sliders got cancelled after Jerry O'Connell left. As annoying as I found his character he was the one that kept them all together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247April 20, 2019 7:04 AM

Add me to the list of viewers who became weepy messes during the "Take On Me" tribute. I actually didn't know (until now) that Jason Ralph was leaving the series, which kind of makes the group-goodbye scene even more poignant.

As for the impact of his absence going forward, though: I actually think the show will be just fine without him.

As others have pointed out, he's had less and less to do as the seasons have gone on, and hasn't really had a meaty, central storyline since Alice was a niffin.

by Anonymousreply 248April 20, 2019 11:29 AM

[quote] He was sidelined for most of it, just being the supporting character showing up in other characters' stories.

Yeah, that makes me a bit suspicious of all the sweetness-and-light stories about Ralph knowing he'd be gone since the start of the season and being just fine with it. If you're going to kill off what has always been your main character, you're going to give him even more of a spotlight in the episodes leading up to it, to up the audience feels when he kicks it. But Q basically disappeared, save for that hasty Alice reunion. No one's heard any gossip about behind-the-scenes friction?

by Anonymousreply 249April 20, 2019 12:32 PM

[quote] There's no reason for them to stay together as a group with Quentin gone.

They went through a lot together since Quentin matched them up. That could serve as a bond beyond Quentin being the common friend. And if the show comes back there will be good reasons for them to team up together to fight evil.

by Anonymousreply 250April 20, 2019 12:35 PM

The show made a point that he played such an important part in his friends' lives even though his character wasn't front and center in the show's arc or the characters' plot lines this season. He made his mark (season one to four), moved into the background (season 5), and in the final episode of season 5 faded away.

by Anonymousreply 251April 20, 2019 12:41 PM

Is it weird that I find Dead Penny in the suit so much hotter than Penny 23?

by Anonymousreply 252April 20, 2019 2:09 PM

Was Ralph the biggest name when this show started? What other things has he got lined up now?

by Anonymousreply 253April 20, 2019 2:25 PM

I don't see anything on IMDB, but I'm assuming he left the show for some other opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 254April 20, 2019 2:28 PM

[Quote]Without Q I bet next season will be the last.

I hope so. I hope it gets cancelled. What they did to Quentin is unforgivable.

by Anonymousreply 255April 20, 2019 2:47 PM

It was probably his choice to leave. I doubt he was fired.

by Anonymousreply 256April 20, 2019 3:29 PM

Definitely his choice but he probably reached an agreement with the showrunners to not say that publicly so as to spare him the fans' outrage. So now they are taking all the fire instead.

by Anonymousreply 257April 20, 2019 3:31 PM

Hale Appleman's twitter comments are opaque but seemingly not happy.

by Anonymousreply 258April 20, 2019 3:34 PM

But he wasn't totally in the background. They wouldn't have tried to save Elliot without him pushing for it. And they couldn't have succeeded without his sacrifice. Even if he didn't have a major arc of his own, he was absolutely crucial to the entire story of season five.

by Anonymousreply 259April 20, 2019 5:15 PM

R258, both he and Arjun (Penny) are responding to outraged fans.

I'm sure they're probably annoyed too since Ralph and the show runners kept the death a secret from them up until the start of the week ... when they have known for a year.

I've heard of actors finding out that one of their co-stars is going to bite it during the read through of the episode but this must be some kind of special messed up to find out before that episode airs a year later.

I'm sure they're probably all worried about their survival.

[quote]Was Ralph the biggest name when this show started?

Sort of. He, Arjun Gupta and Summer Bishil worked the most prior to the show but he was probably best well known for being on Madam Secretary. It says something that he was married to Rachel Brosnahan (Mrs. Maisel) for years and no one knew anything about it. He's a private guy.

[quote]What other things has he got lined up now?

He has his own theater company, in NYC, he founded with friends and for the past few years they've been doing plays. He just seems more like a stage person than an on camera person based upon his past activities and persona.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260April 20, 2019 8:20 PM

I was honestly surprised when I heard Jason Ralph was married to a woman, I always assumed he was gay for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 261April 20, 2019 8:26 PM

R260 The fans have every right to be outraged, I am too. I'm done with the show for what they did to Q. I hope it gets cancelled. If it does they only have themselves to blame.

by Anonymousreply 262April 20, 2019 8:28 PM

[quote] Even if he didn't have a major arc of his own, he was absolutely crucial to the entire story of season five.

I believe that was the point at the end of Quentin being concerned that, in the end, he, and his actions, didn't really matter and Penny convinced him otherwise by letting Quentin see his friends grieving for him and how he mattered to them and how he changed their lives.

by Anonymousreply 263April 20, 2019 8:30 PM

[quote]both he and Arjun (Penny) are responding to outraged fans.

Checked out Arjun Gupta's Twitter feed because of this comment and was pleasantly surprised -- he seems like a really sweet guy!

by Anonymousreply 264April 20, 2019 10:35 PM

Holding hands, cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265April 20, 2019 10:53 PM

This season, they gave Joshua, the fat guy with glasses a bigger role. I like him but only as a supporting actor or for comic relief. I don't know about the Margo-Joshua coupling, Fen would be a better match.

For me, no one comes close to the likability factor like Quentin, although I am liking Penny more.

by Anonymousreply 266April 20, 2019 10:57 PM

R264, he is. A very stark contrast from Penny version 1. He was always in those behind the scenes videos flirting with Jason Ralph who would always blow him off and look annoyed. He's also very supportive of the LGBT community. I loved it when he was on Nurse Jackie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267April 21, 2019 2:02 AM

I agree 100 % with this post on tumblr:

[Quote]I’m kind of behind this season on the magicians but I peeped at what happened to queliot and wowwowow I didn’t think that there could be such a despicable way to fridge a queer relationship, while tricking the audience into thinking that a queer ship had become central on a mainstream fantasy show, but by gosh they did it. They really fucking did it.

[Quote]It’s incredibly vile given that for once you had the protagonist of a show fall for another man and do it organically, not as some kind of representation quota, not to appease the “gays”, not as part of a “special episode”. It looked like a romance that was integral to the story and not some flimsy, insulting afterthought. Hell, I even praised the writers for their boldness. only to find out they could afford to be “brave” because they knew they were going to basically kill their gays, or at least one of them. Sure, quentin died for “love”…but these two weren’t even allowed a reunion, they were split so definitively, almost as if the show wanted to remind viewers that it’s the hetero stories that we are meant to care about most and we should be grateful the status quo has been reinstated. Whatever romantic tragedy was milked from quentin’s death doesn’t at all cancel the fact that these writers absolutely played it safe. So them claiming they killed off the white protag is a bunch of horseshit and shows the limitations of “representation” politics in media nowadays since it always manifests as beggarly scraps that viewers are supposed to be meekly thankful for. The smug way these writers want to be congratulated for rewriting an insulting trope is beyond galling. They played it safe but want to be treated like revolutionaries. Fuck this noise.

by Anonymousreply 268April 21, 2019 9:48 AM

And this:

[Quote]Quentins actor left the show (as far as i know he didnt particularly want that but the writers told him it was gonna happen like a year ago) put him under a gag order and they filmed a dummy ending so all the other actors didnt even know until monday. they seem pretty mad especially Eliots actor (as a queer man who said it was amazing he could portray a queer relationship like that bc he didnt have one when he was younger)

[Quote]HOLY SHIT THAT IS AN ASSHOLE MOVE. And fuck yeah I can imagine Hale Appleman (the only actor on this show whose name I actually can remember on my own) must have looked forward to the Queliot just as much, since his plotline was clearly headed that way. What a way to fuck not just your fanbase but also your cast over. Damn, assholes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269April 21, 2019 9:56 AM

[quote]It says something that he was married to Rachel Brosnahan (Mrs. Maisel) for years and no one knew anything about it.

OMG !!! That's crazy.

by Anonymousreply 270April 21, 2019 10:14 AM

LOL. Sure, Hale Appleman is pissed that he won't make out with Jason Ralph next season. Might just quit the show, because poor guy was robbed and disrespected!

by Anonymousreply 271April 21, 2019 10:47 AM

So did the writers wanted to make Q and Eliot a couple and Jason Ralph refused so they wrote him out?

I can't believe the writers would do that to the main leading actor. They would find some way to accommodate him, after all, Quentin is the MAIN guy of the series.

Ralph probably didn't want to renew his contract for other reasons.

by Anonymousreply 272April 21, 2019 9:34 PM

As has been mentioned, the show masters decided they would kill Quentin, which is insane, and the actor accepted it.

by Anonymousreply 273April 21, 2019 9:37 PM

I guess the writers and SyFy wanted to end this show. I can see this series lasting only one more season.

by Anonymousreply 274April 21, 2019 9:40 PM

[quote]So did the writers wanted to make Q and Eliot a couple and Jason Ralph refused so they wrote him out?

Where did you come up with that one? Nothing he, the writers or anyone else has said has implied that idea.

If he didn't like that plot he would have stopped it when they started it.

He's always nice to his gay fans in person (including me) and he also played gay in the movie, "Those People" back in 2016.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275April 21, 2019 9:43 PM

When the lead on a show like this gets killed off, it usually means there were issues in his personal life or that he was difficult on the set (not the case here), that pay re-negotiations fell through (maybe the case here), or that he's gotten bored with the show and has signalled that to the showrunners himself or through his agent (most likely the case). Writers don't just kill off leads for shits and giggles, people.

I kinda hate Ralph even more now that he's keeping schtum and allowing the showrunners to take the crap on his behalf. Man up and assume at least some of the responsibility, you little weasel.

by Anonymousreply 276April 21, 2019 9:44 PM

Here's a bit more insight:

[quote]We actually had a very open and kind of great conversation at the end of Season 3. We always want to talk to the actors. “How did you feel about the season? What were your favorite things? What do you want to do next season?” We had a feeling that Jason was beginning to sense that he’d explored a lot of that character and had grown a tremendous amount in terms of how that character’s journey unfolded. [We had a] discussion with him on Skype. It just became really clear to Sera, myself and Jason that the best next step for this character would be the kind of death that we had laid out for him that eventually formed this climax. So it was an oddly drama-free, very much mutual, totally creative decision. It was just: How do we best serve this character’s journey, and how do we best continue to shock and surprise our audience? And the answer turned out to be this one thing. He was onboard from jump street.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277April 21, 2019 9:59 PM

LOL, you guys are too much. How many more seasons of this show are you expecting? The show has to end sometime. Usually, 4 to 5 seasons is usually pushing it. The Magicians needs to end on a high note. The next season should be its last.

by Anonymousreply 278April 21, 2019 10:07 PM

Maybe they'll bring back Quentin's son.

by Anonymousreply 279April 21, 2019 10:28 PM

Am I the only one who love Q but also love that episode?

by Anonymousreply 280April 21, 2019 10:32 PM

r280, I love it too.

by Anonymousreply 281April 21, 2019 10:48 PM

I found the denouement of the monsters anticlimactic.

by Anonymousreply 282April 22, 2019 12:08 AM

Virtually all of this season was pounding the less than Quentin WASN'T the "main" guy of the series, R727.

by Anonymousreply 283April 22, 2019 12:44 AM

Reading the BTS stuff, the show people are explicit about pushing a female agenda, which has been fine. However, it’s now clear that the corollary is a desire to reduce/remove the importance of the mostly straight white male who was the main character. Josh might have been next on the list but is probably okay, because he is made to be subordinate. Penny, being non-white, gets two iterations, but is sadly neutered to keep the female characters in the power positions.

by Anonymousreply 284April 22, 2019 1:09 AM

Or maybe R284, as the interview with the show runners implied, he was getting bored and wanted to leave.

And they literally followed the books (written by a straight but open minded white guy) for years so their characters/positions are based on that. Good Lord!

by Anonymousreply 285April 22, 2019 1:15 AM

i laughed when Margo told Quinn to get a backbone in her own Margoish way: Grow A Pair of Tits Coldwater!

by Anonymousreply 286April 25, 2019 4:39 PM

R28 Then you might like this. Peep Rafael's comment and Adam's reply.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287May 10, 2019 1:47 PM

r287 Can you please tell us the gist of that exchange because I don't have Insta and only recent replies show on the browser version.

by Anonymousreply 288May 10, 2019 1:56 PM

R288 Here:

rafaeldlf Handsome chap

adamdimarco @rafaeldlf no u

by Anonymousreply 289May 10, 2019 2:15 PM

That's nice but was that supposed to be revealing in some way? He's never been closeted in real life, despite his highly curated Insta.

by Anonymousreply 290May 10, 2019 2:21 PM

Adam's cute. I'm glad he's family. I need him to show his butt on screen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291May 10, 2019 2:50 PM

Season 5 Comic-Con Sneak Peek

Featuring Julia and... literally a sexist pig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292July 21, 2019 11:15 AM

It won't be the same without Quentin.

by Anonymousreply 293July 21, 2019 8:48 PM

Bumping because I just finished the final Season (5). It was hit and miss but I still wish this show was continuing for another season.

Jason Ralph doesn’t follow anyone in the cast except Trevor Einhorn who played Josh (nor do they follow him). There must have been more to his departure than what the fans were told. Maybe they blame him for abandoning the show, if that is in fact what happened?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294August 23, 2020 11:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!